Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Akt2
Description: thymoma viral proto-oncogene 2
Alias: 2410016A19Rik, AW554154, PKB, PKBbeta, RAC-beta serine/threonine-protein kinase, PKB beta, RAC-PK-beta, protein kinase Akt-2, protein kinase B, beta
Publications123 found, 100 shown here
- Insulin resistance and a diabetes mellitus-like syndrome in mice lacking the protein kinase Akt2 (PKB beta)H Cho
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Science 292:1728-31. 2001..We show that mice deficient in Akt2 are impaired in the ability of insulin to lower blood glucose because of defects in the action of the hormone on ..
- Overexpression of TEAD-1 in transgenic mouse striated muscles produces a slower skeletal muscle contractile phenotypeRichard W Tsika
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
J Biol Chem 283:36154-67. 2008..These novel in vivo data support a role for TEAD-1 in modulating slow muscle gene expression...
- Protein kinase C-delta and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt activate mammalian target of rapamycin to modulate NF-kappaB activation and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) expression in endothelial cellsMohd Minhajuddin
Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, Lung Biology and Disease Program, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Biol Chem 284:4052-61. 2009..Pkc-delta(-)(/)(-)), p85alpha and p85beta subunits of the PI3K (p85alpha(-)(/)(-)beta(-)(/)(-)), or Akt1 and Akt2 (Akt1(-)(/)(-)2(-)(/)(-))...
- Cellular survival: a play in three AktsS R Datta
Division of Neuroscience, Children s Hospital and Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115 USA
Genes Dev 13:2905-27. 1999
- Akt1 and Akt2 differently regulate muscle creatine kinase and myogenin gene transcription in insulin-induced differentiation of C2C12 myoblastsSatoru Sumitani
Department of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine C 4, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Endocrinology 143:820-8. 2002..suppressed MCK gene transcription without affecting myogenin gene transcription, whereas heterologous expression of Akt2 increased myogenin and MCK gene transcription...
- Dwarfism, impaired skin development, skeletal muscle atrophy, delayed bone development, and impeded adipogenesis in mice lacking Akt1 and Akt2Xiao ding Peng
Department of Molecular Genetics, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Genes Dev 17:1352-65. 2003To elucidate the functions of the serine/threonine kinase Akt/PKB in vivo, we generated mice lacking both akt1 and akt2 genes. Akt1/Akt2 double-knockout (DKO) mice exhibit severe growth deficiency and die shortly after birth...
- Protein kinase B alpha/Akt1 regulates placental development and fetal growthZhong Zhou Yang
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 278:32124-31. 2003Protein kinase B alpha (PKB alpha/Akt1) is implicated in the regulation of metabolism, transcription, cell survival, angiogenesis, cell migration, growth, and tumorigenesis...
- Severe diabetes, age-dependent loss of adipose tissue, and mild growth deficiency in mice lacking Akt2/PKB betaRobert S Garofalo
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut 06357, USA
J Clin Invest 112:197-208. 2003..To investigate the function of Akt2/PKBbeta, mice lacking this isoform were generated...
- Transgenic mouse overexpressing the Akt reduced the volume of infarct area after middle cerebral artery occlusionNorihiro Ohba
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, 1 4 3 Asahimachi, Abeno Ku, Osaka, 545 8585, Japan
Neurosci Lett 359:159-62. 2004..These results suggest that the DINE promoter is a useful promoter, which responds to neuronal insults and that the Akt-induced neuroprotective effect against ischemic damage is potent in vivo...
- Akt1/Akt2 and mammalian target of rapamycin/Bim play critical roles in osteoclast differentiation and survival, respectively, whereas Akt is dispensable for cell survival in isolated osteoclast precursorsToshifumi Sugatani
Department of Pediatrics, Cell and Molecular Biology Unit, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 280:3583-9. 2005..Here we show that Akt1/Akt2 play a critical role in osteoclast differentiation but not cell survival and that mammalian target of rapamycin (..
- Role for Akt3/protein kinase Bgamma in attainment of normal brain sizeRachael M Easton
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Clinical Research Building 322, 415 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:1869-78. 2005..In mammals, three highly conserved proteins, Akt1, Akt2, and Akt3, comprise the Akt family, of which the first two are required for normal growth and metabolism, ..
- Dosage-dependent effects of Akt1/protein kinase Balpha (PKBalpha) and Akt3/PKBgamma on thymus, skin, and cardiovascular and nervous system development in miceZhong Zhou Yang
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, P O Box 2543, Maulbeerstrasse 66, Basel CH 4002, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 25:10407-18. 2005Akt/protein kinase B (PKB) plays a critical role in the regulation of metabolism, transcription, cell migration, cell cycle progression, and cell survival...
- Distinct signals regulate AS160 phosphorylation in response to insulin, AICAR, and contraction in mouse skeletal muscleHenning F Kramer
Section Head, Metabolism, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Pl, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 55:2067-76. 2006..Insulin-stimulated AS160 phosphorylation was fully blunted by wortmannin in vitro and in Akt2 knockout (KO) mice in vivo...
- Life with a single isoform of Akt: mice lacking Akt2 and Akt3 are viable but display impaired glucose homeostasis and growth deficienciesBettina Dummler
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel CH 4058, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 26:8042-51. 2006..and isoform specificity of the Akt family of protein kinases in vivo, we generated mice deficient in both Akt2 and Akt3...
- Only Akt1 is required for proliferation, while Akt2 promotes cell cycle exit through p21 bindingLisa Heron-Milhavet
Cell Biology Unit, Institut de Genetique Humaine, CNRS UPR1142, 141 rue de la Cardonille, 34396 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Mol Cell Biol 26:8267-80. 2006..RNA duplexes in nontransformed mammalian cells, we show that only Akt1 is essential for cell proliferation, while Akt2 promotes cell cycle exit...
- Opposing roles for Akt1 and Akt2 in Rac/Pak signaling and cell migrationGuo Lei Zhou
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 281:36443-53. 2006The Akt/PKB isoforms have different roles in animals, with Akt2 primarily regulating metabolic signaling and Akt1 regulating growth and survival...
- Functional studies of Akt isoform specificity in skeletal muscle in vivo; maintained insulin sensitivity despite reduced insulin receptor substrate-1 expressionMark E Cleasby
Diabetes and Obesity Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, New South Wales 2010, Australia
Mol Endocrinol 21:215-28. 2007..These data indicate distinct roles for Akt-1 and Akt-2 in muscle glucose metabolism and that moderate reductions in IRS-1 expression do not result in the development of insulin resistance in skeletal muscle in vivo...
- Akt deficiency impairs normal cell proliferation and suppresses oncogenesis in a p53-independent and mTORC1-dependent mannerJennifer E Skeen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Cancer Cell 10:269-80. 2006..These effects are compounded by deleting both Akt1 and Akt2. In vivo, Akt1 null mice are resistant to MMTV-v-H-Ras-induced tumors and to skin carcinogenesis...
- Isoform-specific requirement for Akt1 in the developmental regulation of cellular metabolism during lactationRobert B Boxer
Department of Cancer Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cell Metab 4:475-90. 2006..By evaluating mice bearing targeted deletions in Akt1 or Akt2, we demonstrate that Akt1 is specifically required for lactating mice to synthesize sufficient quantities of milk ..
- Nonredundant role of Akt2 for neuroprotection of rod photoreceptor cells from light-induced cell deathGuiyuan Li
Department of Cell Biology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Neurosci 27:203-11. 2007..We investigated the functional roles of Akt1 and Akt2, two of the isoforms of Akt, and their biological significance in light-induced retinal degeneration...
- Akt1 ablation inhibits, whereas Akt2 ablation accelerates, the development of mammary adenocarcinomas in mouse mammary tumor virus (MMTV)-ErbB2/neu and MMTV-polyoma middle T transgenic miceIoanna G Maroulakou
Molecular Oncology Research Institute and Department of Pathology, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Cancer Res 67:167-77. 2007..The effects of ablation of Akt1, Akt2, and Akt3 on the induction and the biology of these tumors were dramatically different, with ablation of Akt1 ..
- Akt1 and Akt2 are required for alphabeta thymocyte survival and differentiationMarisa M Juntilla
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:12105-10. 2007..In this study, we explore the role of the two Akt isoforms most highly expressed in the thymus, Akt1 and Akt2, in early T cell development...
- A novel Akt/PKB-interacting protein promotes cell adhesion and inhibits familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis-linked mutant SOD1-induced neuronal death via inhibition of PP2A-mediated dephosphorylation of Akt/PKBMikiro Nawa
Department of Anatomy, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Cell Signal 20:493-505. 2008Akt/Protein Kinase B (PKB) family proteins (Akts), consisting of Akt1, 2, and 3, play a crucial role in multiple biological processes...
- Rapid activation of Akt2 is sufficient to stimulate GLUT4 translocation in 3T3-L1 adipocytesYvonne Ng
Diabetes and Obesity Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
Cell Metab 7:348-56. 2008The serine/threonine kinase Akt2 has been implicated in insulin-regulated glucose uptake into muscle and fat cells by promoting the translocation of glucose transporter 4 (GLUT4) to the cell surface...
- Distinct roles of the three Akt isoforms in lactogenic differentiation and involutionIoanna G Maroulakou
Molecular Oncology Research Institute, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Cell Physiol 217:468-77. 2008..As a result, ablation of Akt1 inhibits and ablation of Akt2 accelerates mammary tumor development by both oncogenes, while ablation of Akt3 is phenotypically almost neutral...
- Distinct actions of Akt1 and Akt2 in skeletal muscle differentiationPeter Rotwein
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
J Cell Physiol 219:503-11. 2009..Here we present evidence for distinct roles for Akt1 and Akt2 in different phases of muscle differentiation...
- Leptin deficiency and beta-cell dysfunction underlie type 2 diabetes in compound Akt knockout miceWilliam S Chen
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:3151-62. 2009..analyses of mice null for the individual Akt isoforms suggested that they are functionally distinct and that only Akt2 plays a role in diabetes...
- Insulin-modulated Akt subcellular localization determines Akt isoform-specific signalingEva Gonzalez
Department of Biochemistry, Weill Cornell Medical College, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7004-9. 2009..Here, we investigated potential mechanisms underlying Akt isoform functional specificity by using Akt2-specific regulation of glucose transport in insulin-stimulated adipocytes as a model system...
- Akt1 and akt2 play distinct roles in the initiation and metastatic phases of mammary tumor progressionRachelle L Dillon
Goodman Cancer Centre and Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer Res 69:5057-64. 2009..Here, we report the generation of transgenic mice expressing activated Akt2 in the mammary epithelium...
- MicroRNAs differentially regulated by Akt isoforms control EMT and stem cell renewal in cancer cellsDimitrios Iliopoulos
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Sci Signal 2:ra62. 2009..We expressed each isoform individually in an Akt1(-/-)/Akt2(-/-)/Akt3(-/-) cell line...
- Akt2 is required for hepatic lipid accumulation in models of insulin resistanceKarla F Leavens
Department of Medicine, Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cell Metab 10:405-18. 2009..Previous studies have demonstrated that Akt2/protein kinase B is critical to insulin's control of glucose metabolism, but its role in lipid metabolism has ..
- Akt isoforms differentially regulate neutrophil functionsJia Chen
Department of Pharmacology, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Blood 115:4237-46. 2010..the 2 major Akt isoforms in neutrophil activation on the basis of studies in which we used individual Akt1 and Akt2 knockout mice...
- The critical role of AKT2 in hepatic steatosis induced by PTEN lossLina He
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Am J Pathol 176:2302-8. 2010..To explore the role of AKT2, the major liver AKT isoform in steatosis induced by deletion of Pten, we created mice lacking both Pten and Akt2 ..
- Dlg1-PTEN interaction regulates myelin thickness to prevent damaging peripheral nerve overmyelinationLaurent Cotter
Institute of Cell Biology, Department of Biology, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule ETH Zurich, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Science 328:1415-8. 2010..Indeed, the Dlg1 brake is no longer functional in a mouse model of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Therefore, negative regulation of myelination appears to be essential for optimization of nerve conduction velocity and myelin maintenance...
- Sin1-mTORC2 suppresses rag and il7r gene expression through Akt2 in B cellsAdam S Lazorchak
Department of Immunobiology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Mol Cell 39:433-43. 2010..We further show that Akt2 specifically mediates the Sin1-mTORC2 dependent suppression of il7r and rag gene expression in B cells by ..
- Deletion of Akt1 causes heart defects and abnormal cardiomyocyte proliferationZai Chang
MOE Key Laboratory of Model Animal for Disease Study, Model Animal Research Center of Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Dev Biol 347:384-91. 2010The PI3K-PDK1-PKB/Akt (PI3K, phosphoinositide-3 kinase; PDK1, phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase 1; PKB, protein kinase B) signaling pathway plays a critical role in a variety of biological processes including cell survival, ..
- Expansion of hepatic tumor progenitor cells in Pten-null mice requires liver injury and is reversed by loss of AKT2Vivian A Galicia
Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Gastroenterology 139:2170-82. 2010The tumor suppressor PTEN inhibits AKT2 signaling; both are aberrantly expressed in liver tumors. We investigated how PTEN and AKT2 regulate liver carcinogenesis...
- Akt1 deletion prevents lung tumorigenesis by mutant K-rasM C Hollander
Medical Oncology Branch, NCI, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Oncogene 30:1812-21. 2011..Here, we show that deletion of Akt1 but not Akt2 or Akt3 prevents lung tumorigenesis in a tobacco carcinogen-induced model and a genetic model...
- S6 kinase 1 is required for rapamycin-sensitive liver proliferation after mouse hepatectomyCatherine Espeillac
INSERM, U845, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 121:2821-32. 2011..The identification of an S6K1-dependent mechanism participating in cell proliferation in vivo may be relevant for cancer cells displaying high mTOR complex 1 activity and cyclin D1 accumulation...
- The effect Akt2 deletion on tumor development in Pten(+/-) miceP Z Xu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Oncogene 31:518-26. 2012..Here, we analyzed the effect of Akt2 deficiency on the incidence of tumors in Pten(+/-) mice...
- C2 domain-containing phosphoprotein CDP138 regulates GLUT4 insertion into the plasma membraneXiangyang Xie
Metabolic Signaling and Disease Program, Diabetes and Obesity Research Center, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, Orlando, FL 32827, USA
Cell Metab 14:378-89. 2011The protein kinase B(β) (Akt2) pathway is known to mediate insulin-stimulated glucose transport through increasing glucose transporter GLUT4 translocation from intracellular stores to the plasma membrane (PM)...
- Postprandial hepatic lipid metabolism requires signaling through Akt2 independent of the transcription factors FoxA2, FoxO1, and SREBP1cMin Wan
The Institute of Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cell Metab 14:516-27. 2011..activation of neither FoxA2 nor FoxO1 can account for the protection from steatosis afforded by deletion of Akt2 in liver...
- Insulin regulates liver metabolism in vivo in the absence of hepatic Akt and Foxo1Mingjian Lu
The Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Nat Med 18:388-95. 2012..Here we show that mice with hepatic deletion of Akt1 and Akt2 were glucose intolerant, insulin resistant and defective in their transcriptional response to feeding in the liver...
- Loss of Akt1 or Akt2 delays mammary tumor onset and suppresses tumor growth rate in MTB-IGFIR transgenic miceKatrina L Watson
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G2W1, Canada
BMC Cancer 13:375. 2013..However, there are three mammalian isoforms of Akt (Akt1, Akt2 and Akt3) and these isoforms regulate distinct physiologic properties within cells...
- A critical role of the small GTPase Rac1 in Akt2-mediated GLUT4 translocation in mouse skeletal muscleNobuyuki Takenaka
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Department of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Osaka, Japan
FEBS J 281:1493-504. 2014..The serine/threonine kinase Akt2 has been implicated as a key regulator of this insulin action...
- Unequal contribution of Akt isoforms in the double-negative to double-positive thymocyte transitionChangchuin Mao
Molecular Oncology Research Institute, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Immunol 178:5443-53. 2007..signals activate Akt and that pharmacological inhibition of the PI3K/Akt pathway, or combined ablation of Akt1 and Akt2, and to a lesser extent Akt1 and Akt3, interfere with the differentiation of DN3 and the accumulation of DP ..
- Differential contribution of insulin receptor substrates 1 versus 2 to insulin signaling and glucose uptake in l6 myotubesCarol Huang
Program in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
J Biol Chem 280:19426-35. 2005..Insulin-induced Akt1 and Akt2 phosphorylation was reduced in myotubes treated with siIRS-1, but only Akt2 phosphorylation was reduced in myotubes ..
- Phosphorylation of Bad is not essential for PKB-mediated survival signaling in hemopoietic cellsS W Wang
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia and Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, Jack Bell Research Centre, 2660 Oak St, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6H 3Z6
Apoptosis 10:341-8. 2005..One key question is whether the survival signaling effect of the PI 3-kinase pathway is mediated by PKB phosphorylation of Bad...
- A WD-FYVE protein binds to the kinases Akt and PKCzeta/lambdaThorsten Fritzius
Institute of Medical Virology, University of Zurich, Gloriastrasse 30, CH 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Biochem J 399:9-20. 2006..In summary, we describe a new binding partner for kinases, located on vesicular structures in specialized cells, which may play a role for the spatial organization of signalling cascades...
- PHLPP-1 negatively regulates Akt activity and survival in the heartShigeki Miyamoto
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0636, USA
Circ Res 107:476-84. 2010..The regulatory role of PHLPP-1 in the heart has not been considered...
- Akt deficiency attenuates muscle size and function but not the response to ActRIIB inhibitionMarcus D Goncalves
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e12707. 2010..Thus, we hypothesized that mice deficient in either Akt1 or Akt2 would not respond to in vivo inhibition of ActRIIB with ActRIIB-mFc treatment.
- PKB signaling and atrogene expression in skeletal muscle of aged miceMegan Gaugler
Department of Health and Exercise Sciences, Skidmore College, 815 North Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 111:192-9. 2011The purpose of this study was to determine if PKB signaling is decreased and contractile protein degradation is increased in extensor digitorum longus (EDL) and soleus (SOL) muscles from middle-aged (MA) and aged (AG) mice...
- Akt2 regulates all Akt isoforms and promotes resistance to hypoxia through induction of miR-21 upon oxygen deprivationChristos Polytarchou
Molecular Oncology Research Institute, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Cancer Res 71:4720-31. 2011..Here, we show that both normal and tumor cells expressing the protein kinase Akt2 are more resistant to hypoxia than cells expressing Akt1 or Akt3...
- Sin1 regulates Treg-cell development but is not required for T-cell growth and proliferationXing Chang
Department of Immunobiology and Vascular Biology and Therapeutic Program, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
Eur J Immunol 42:1639-47. 2012..Our results reveal that Sin1 and mTORC2 are dispensable for the development and activation of T cells but play a role in nTreg-cell differentiation...
- PI3K/AKT signaling regulates bioenergetics in immortalized hepatocytesChen Li
Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Los Angeles, CA 90089 United States
Free Radic Biol Med 60:29-40. 2013....
- Nuclear Akt2 opposes limbal keratinocyte stem cell self-renewal by repressing a FOXO-mTORC1 signaling pathwayStefania Saoncella
Department of Molecular Biotechnology and Health Sciences, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Stem Cells 32:754-69. 2014..we show that Akt signaling is prominent in SC populations both in vivo and in vitro, and that Akt1 promotes while Akt2 opposes SC self-renewal...
- Rictor/mTORC2 loss in the Myf5 lineage reprograms brown fat metabolism and protects mice against obesity and metabolic diseaseChien Min Hung
Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Cell Rep 8:256-71. 2014..Our findings provide insights into the signaling circuitry that regulates brown adipocytes and could have important implications for developing therapies aimed at increasing energy expenditure as a means to combat human obesity...
- Macrophage deficiency of Akt2 reduces atherosclerosis in Ldlr null miceVladimir R Babaev
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232
J Lipid Res 55:2296-308. 2014..Macrophages express three Akt isoforms, Akt1, Akt2, and Akt3, but the roles of Akt1 and Akt2 in atherosclerosis in vivo remain unclear...
- Unique roles of Akt1 and Akt2 in IGF-IR mediated lung tumorigenesisS Elizabeth Franks
Department of Biomedical Science, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Oncotarget 7:3297-316. 2016..model where IGF-IR overexpression drives lung tumorigenesis, we found that loss of Akt1 inhibited while loss of Akt2 enhanced lung tumor development...
- Akt negatively regulates translation of the ternary complex factor Elk-1Claudia Figueroa
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0606, USA
Oncogene 22:5554-61. 2003..We conclude that Akt negatively regulates translation of the Elk-1 mRNA. A coding region determinant that maps within the first 279 nts of the Elk-1 message is necessary and sufficient for Akt-mediated regulation of Elk-1...
- A Ral GAP complex links PI 3-kinase/Akt signaling to RalA activation in insulin actionXiao Wei Chen
Life Sciences Institute, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mol Biol Cell 22:141-52. 2011..Insulin inhibits the GAP complex through Akt2-catalyzed phosphorylation of RGC2 in vitro and in vivo, while activated Akt relieves the inhibitory effect of RGC ..
- Novel role for SGK3 in glucose homeostasis revealed in SGK3/Akt2 double-null miceLi Jun Yao
Departments of Medicine, and Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94107 2140, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:2106-18. 2011The phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase-dependent kinase, Akt2, plays a central role in mediating insulin effects in glucose-metabolizing tissues...
- Defining Akt actions in muscle differentiationSamantha Gardner
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 303:C1292-300. 2012..Akt1 is essential for initiation of differentiation in culture and is required for normal myoblast motility, while Akt2 is dispensable...
- Decreased spermatogenesis, fertility, and altered Slc2A expression in Akt1-/- and Akt2-/- testes and spermSung Tae Kim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Reprod Sci 19:31-42. 2012..This work describes the reproductive phenotype of Akt1-/- and Akt2-/- in male mice...
- Abnormal Wnt and PI3Kinase signaling in the malformed intestine of lama5 deficient miceLéa Ritie
INSERM, U682, Strasbourg, France Univ de Strasbourg, France
PLoS ONE 7:e37710. 2012..Thus deregulated adhesion to laminin-511 may be instrumental in diseases such as human pathologies of the gut where laminin-511 is abnormally expressed as it is shown here...
- Molecular cloning of the akt oncogene and its human homologues AKT1 and AKT2: amplification of AKT1 in a primary human gastric adenocarcinomaS P Staal
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84:5034-7. 1987..Two human homologues of the v-akt oncogene, AKT1 and AKT2, were cloned...
- Generation of a floxed allele of Smad5 for cre-mediated conditional knockout in the mouseLieve Umans
Department of Developmental Biology VIB 7, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, and Laboratory of Molecular Biology Celgen, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Genesis 37:5-11. 2003..Smad5(flE2/flE2) mice are now available and will be a valuable tool to analyze the role of Smad5 beyond its crucial early embryonic function throughout development and postnatal life...
- Akt2 negatively regulates assembly of the POSH-MLK-JNK signaling complexClaudia Figueroa
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 278:47922-7. 2003We demonstrate that POSH, a scaffold for the JNK signaling pathway, binds to Akt2. A POSH mutant that is unable to bind Akt2 (POSH W489A) exhibits enhanced-binding to MLK3, and this increase in binding is accompanied by increased ..
- fgf8 mRNA decay establishes a gradient that couples axial elongation to patterning in the vertebrate embryoJulien Dubrulle
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 East 50th Street, 64110 Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Nature 427:419-22. 2004..In addition, this mechanism provides a novel model for morphogen gradient formation...
- Akt2, a novel functional link between p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathways in myogenesisIvelisse Gonzalez
Signalling Programme, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge CB2 4AT, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 24:3607-22. 2004..Analysis of Akt isoforms revealed a specific increase in Akt2 protein levels that coincided with AktS473 phosphorylation during myogenesis and an enrichment of S473-..
- Regulation of insulin action by ceramide: dual mechanisms linking ceramide accumulation to the inhibition of Akt/protein kinase BSuzanne Stratford
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1870, USA
J Biol Chem 279:36608-15. 2004The sphingolipid ceramide negatively regulates insulin action by inhibiting Akt/protein kinase B (PKB), a serine/threonine kinase that is a central regulator of glucose uptake and anabolic metabolism...
- Molecular and genetic studies imply Akt-mediated signaling promotes protein kinase CbetaII alternative splicing via phosphorylation of serine/arginine-rich splicing factor SRp40Niketa A Patel
Department of Biochemistry, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Biol Chem 280:14302-9. 2005..C., and Cooper, D. C. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 22648-22654). Transient transfection of constitutively active Akt2 kinase promotes PKCbetaII exon inclusion...
- PI3K-AKT pathway mediates growth and survival signals during development of fetal mouse lungJ Wang
Department of Pathology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Tissue Cell 37:25-35. 2005..The LY294002 and wortmannin treatments showed decreased expression of SPC. These findings suggest that the PI3K-AKT signalling pathway plays a pivotal role in mouse lung development through various biological processes...
- The PI3K/Akt pathway is present and functional in the preimplantation mouse embryoJoan K Riley
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Dev Biol 284:377-86. 2005..Taken together, these data are the first to demonstrate the presence and function of the PI3K/Akt pathway in mammalian preimplantation embryos...
- Akt1/protein kinase Balpha is critical for ischemic and VEGF-mediated angiogenesisEric Ackah
Department of Pharmacology and Program in Vascular Cell Signaling and Therapeutics, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536 0812, USA
J Clin Invest 115:2119-27. 2005..Here we show that the genetic loss of Akt1, but not Akt2, in mice results in defective ischemia and VEGF-induced angiogenesis as well as severe peripheral vascular disease...
- Quantitative analysis of anti-apoptotic function of Akt in Akt1 and Akt2 double knock-out mouse embryonic fibroblast cells under normal and stressed conditionsXuesong Liu
Department of Cancer Research R47S, Abbott L, Abbott Park, Illinois 60064, USA
J Biol Chem 281:31380-8. 2006The serine/threonine kinases Akt1/PKBalpha, Akt2/PKBbeta, and Akt3/PKBgamma have been implicated in preventing cells from undergoing apoptosis...
- Akt2 regulates cardiac metabolism and cardiomyocyte survivalBrian DeBosch
Center for Cardiovascular Research, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 4940 Parkview Place, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 281:32841-51. 2006..All three known Akt family members, Akt1, Akt2 and Akt3, are expressed in the myocardium, although Akt1 and Akt2 are most abundant...
- Akt/Protein kinase B modulates macrophage inflammatory response to Francisella infection and confers a survival advantage in miceMurugesan V S Rajaram
Dorothy M Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, 473 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Immunol 177:6317-24. 2006..novicida. Together, these observations indicate that Akt promotes proinflammatory cytokine production by F. novicida-infected macrophages through its influence on NF-kappaB, thereby contributing to immunity against F. novicida infection...
- Effects of caloric restriction and growth hormone resistance on insulin-related intermediates in the skeletal muscleKhalid A Al-Regaiey
Departments of Internal Medicine, Southern Illinois University, School of Medicine, Springfield, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:18-26. 2007..In addition to changes detected in both genotypes, and responses unique to GHRKO mice, the levels of Akt2 and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC1alpha) were increased and levels of ..
- AKT-dependent HspB1 (Hsp27) activity in epidermal differentiationRyan F L O'Shaughnessy
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Institute of Cell and Molecular Sciences, Queen Mary University of London, London E1 2AT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 282:17297-305. 2007..This work demonstrates a new role for Akt in epidermis...
- Akt/PKB regulates hepatic metabolism by directly inhibiting PGC-1alpha transcription coactivatorXinghai Li
Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, Cox Institute, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nature 447:1012-6. 2007..Here we describe a mechanism by which insulin, through the intermediary protein kinase Akt2/protein kinase B (PKB)-beta, elicits the phosphorylation and inhibition of the transcriptional coactivator ..
- Akt2 is implicated in skeletal muscle differentiation and specifically binds Prohibitin2/REALisa Heron-Milhavet
Cell Biology Unit, Institut de Genetique Humaine, Montpellier, France
J Cell Physiol 214:158-65. 2008Akt1 and Akt2 are the major isoforms of Akt expressed in muscle cells and muscle tissue. We have performed siRNA silencing of Akt1 and Akt2 in C2 myoblasts to characterize their specific implication in muscle differentiation...
- Sex differences in the mechanism of Met5-enkephalin-induced cardioprotection: role of PI3K/AktZhiping Cao
Anesthesiology Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Road, Portland, OR 97239 2999, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H302-10. 2008..The incomplete loss of protection in females following the blockade of PI3K suggests that additional factors may facilitate the maintenance or function of activated Akt...
- Age-related insulin resistance in hypothalamus and peripheral tissues of orexin knockout miceH Tsuneki
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Diabetologia 51:657-67. 2008..The aim of this study was to reveal the role of orexin in the regulation of insulin sensitivity for glucose metabolism...
- A novel recurrent chromosomal inversion implicates the homeobox gene Dlx5 in T-cell lymphomas from Lck-Akt2 transgenic miceYinfei Tan
Human Genetics Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Cancer Res 68:1296-302. 2008..Transgenic mice expressing a constitutively activated form of the cellular homologue Akt2 specifically in immature T cells develop spontaneous thymic lymphomas...
- Acute stretch promotes endothelial cell proliferation in wounded healing mouse skinCarl D Shrader
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, School of Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 26506 9128, USA
Arch Dermatol Res 300:495-504. 2008....
- Serine 396 of PDK1 is required for maximal PKB activationZoe Moon
Department of Biology, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cell Signal 20:2038-49. 2008Protein kinase B (PKB; also known as Akt) is important for mediating survival and proliferation signals...
- In vivo analysis of protein kinase B (PKB)/Akt regulation in DNA-PKcs-null mice reveals a role for PKB/Akt in DNA damage response and tumorigenesisBanu Surucu
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Maulbeerstrasse 66, Basel CH 4058, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 283:30025-33. 2008Full activation of protein kinase B (PKB/Akt) requires phosphorylation on Thr-308 and Ser-473. It is well established that Thr-308 is phosphorylated by 3-phosphoinositide-dependent kinase-1 (PDK1)...
- Akt2 is required for macrophage chemotaxisBaogang Zhang
Cancer Institute and Hospital, Research Center of Basic Medical Sciences, Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, PR China
Eur J Immunol 39:894-901. 2009..In this study, we investigated the role of PKB/Akt in CSF-1-induced macrophage migration. Disruption of Akt2 expression by small interference RNA impaired chemotaxis of both THP-1 cells and mouse peritoneal macrophages...
- Akt2 and SGK3 are both determinants of postnatal hair follicle developmentTheodora M Mauro
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94107 2140, USA
FASEB J 23:3193-202. 2009..However, this developmental abnormality is not recapitulated in mice lacking closely related kinases Akt1, Akt2, or Akt3...
- Homozygous loss of BHD causes early embryonic lethality and kidney tumor development with activation of mTORC1 and mTORC2Yukiko Hasumi
Urologic Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18722-7. 2009....
- Differential effects of protein kinase B/Akt isoforms on glucose homeostasis and islet massFrancesca Buzzi
University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 30:601-12. 2010..results in diabetes with insulin resistance and severe failure of beta-cell mass and function, only loss of the PKBbeta isoform leads to a mild metabolic phenotype with insulin resistance...
- Akt1 and Akt2 promote peripheral B-cell maturation and survivalMarco Calamito
Department of Pathology and Laboratory of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Blood 115:4043-50. 2010..in the bone marrow (BM) and periphery in chimeras established with fetal liver progenitors lacking Akt1 and/or Akt2. We found that the generation of marginal zone (MZ) and B1 B cells, 2 key sources of antibacterial antibodies, was ..
- TEAD-1 overexpression in the mouse heart promotes an age-dependent heart dysfunctionRichard W Tsika
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
J Biol Chem 285:13721-35. 2010..These data provide the first in vivo evidence that increased TEAD-1 can induce characteristics of cardiac remodeling associated with cardiomyopathy and heart failure...
- Akt2/PKBbeta-sensitive regulation of renal phosphate transportD S Kempe
Department of Physiology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 200:75-85. 2010The protein kinase B (PKB)/Akt is known to stimulate the cellular uptake of glucose and amino acids. The kinase is expressed in proximal renal tubules...
- AKT1 and AKT2 maintain hematopoietic stem cell function by regulating reactive oxygen speciesMarisa M Juntilla
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Blood 115:4030-8. 2010..HSC function in mice deficient in the 2 isoforms most highly expressed in the hematopoietic compartment, AKT1 and AKT2. Although loss of either isoform had only a minimal effect on HSC function, AKT1/2 double-deficient HSCs competed ..
- Appl1 is dispensable for Akt signaling in vivo and mouse T-cell developmentYinfei Tan
Cancer Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Genesis 48:531-9. 2010..Collectively, our findings indicate that Appl1 is dispensable for Akt signaling in vivo and T-cell differentiation...
- Heart 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase activation by insulin requires PKB (protein kinase B), but not SGK3 (serum- and glucocorticoid-induced protein kinase 3)Véronique Mouton
Université catholique de Louvain and de Duve Institute, 75 Avenue Hippocrate, Brussels, Belgium
Biochem J 431:267-75. 2010On the basis of transfection experiments using a dominant-negative approach, our previous studies suggested that PKB (protein kinase B) was not involved in heart PFK-2 (6-phosphofructo2-kinase) activation by insulin...
- Optimising experimental design for high-throughput phenotyping in mice: a case studyNatasha A Karp
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK
Mamm Genome 21:467-76. 2010..Consequently, in confirmatory studies, a power analysis along with the 3Rs can provide justification to increase the number of mice used...
- Sox9 sustains chondrocyte survival and hypertrophy in part through Pik3ca-Akt pathwaysDaisuke Ikegami
Departments of Bone and Cartilage Biology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Development 138:1507-19. 2011..Thus, continued expression of Sox9 in differentiated chondrocytes is essential for subsequent hypertrophy and sustains chondrocyte-specific survival mechanisms by binding to the Pik3ca promoter, inducing Akt phosphorylation...
- EXERCISE HYPERTROPHY AND CONTROL OF MYOSIN INDUCTIONRichard Tsika; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ALTERED MECHANICAL LOADS AND SKELETAL MUSCLE PHENOTYPERichard Tsika; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Age Related Insulin Resistance, Akt/PKB, and Skeletal Muscle ProteolysisThomas Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2007..A major action of insulin is to suppress skeletal muscle proteolysis, in part, by activating protein kinase B (PKB)...
- REGULATION OF INSULIN-GROWTH FACTOR I EXPRESSIONPeter Rotwein; Fiscal Year: 2002..3. To define the mechanisms by which growth hormone activates IGF-I gene transcription. 4. To characterize the nuclear proteins that bind to the IGF-I gene at the growth hormone-regulated DNAse I hypersensitive site, HS7. ..
- Control of IGF-I Gene Transcription in OsteoblastsPeter Rotwein; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. To define mechanisms of termination of hormone-activated IGF-I transcription and down regulation of C/EBPdelta activity in osteoblasts. 4. To evaluate by gene profiling the role of C/EBPdelta in osteoblast biology. ..
- The role of Akt in platelet signaling and thrombosisDonna Woulfe; Fiscal Year: 2008..In the following 3 Specific Aims, this proposal will test the hypothesis that Akt1 and Akt2 play a critical role in the signaling pathways that lead to platelet aggregation and stabilization of the platelet ..