Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Abcb11
Description: ATP-binding cassette, sub-family B (MDR/TAP), member 11
Alias: ABC16, Bsep, Lith1, PFIC2, PGY4, SPGP, bile salt export pump, ATP-binding cassette, sub-family B, member 11, sister of P-glycoprotein
- Compensatory role of P-glycoproteins in knockout mice lacking the bile salt export pumpRenxue Wang
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Hepatology 50:948-56. 2009b>Bile salt export pump (BSEP; ATP-binding cassette, subfamily B, member 11) mutations in humans result in progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis type 2, a fatal liver disease with greatly reduced bile flow...
- Severe cholestasis induced by cholic acid feeding in knockout mice of sister of P-glycoproteinRenxue Wang
British Columbia Cancer Research Center, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Hepatology 38:1489-99. 2003..bile acid secretion, a process mediated by the sister of P-glycoprotein (Spgp or Abcb11) also known as the bile salt export pump (Bsep)...
- The inhibition of hepatic bile acids transporters Ntcp and Bsep is involved in the pathogenesis of isoniazid/rifampicin-induced hepatotoxicityYao Xue Guo
a Department of Pharmacy, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, China
Toxicol Mech Methods 25:382-7. 2015..present study investigates whether sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (NTCP/Ntcp; SLC10A1) and bile salt export pump (BSEP/Bsep; ABCB11) are involved in the anti-tuberculosis medicines induced liver injury...
- The mechanism of increased biliary lipid secretion in mice with genetic inactivation of bile salt export pumpK E R Gooijert
Research Laboratory Pediatrics, Beatrix Children s Hospital University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 308:G450-7. 2015Human bile salt export pump (BSEP) mutations underlie progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis type 2 (PFIC2)...
- Transcriptional dynamics of bile salt export pump during pregnancy: mechanisms and implications in intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancyXiulong Song
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Center for Pharmacogenomics and Molecular Therapy, College of Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
Hepatology 60:1993-2007. 2014b>Bile salt export pump (BSEP) is responsible for biliary secretion of bile acids, a rate-limiting step in the enterohepatic circulation of bile acids and transactivated by nuclear receptor farnesoid X receptor (FXR)...
- LKB1/AMPK and PKA control ABCB11 trafficking and polarization in hepatocytesLaszlo Homolya
Cell Biology and Metabolism Program, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Molecular Pharmacology, Research Centre for Natural Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
PLoS ONE 9:e91921. 2014..cultures from control and liver-specific LKB1 knockout mice to examine the role of LKB1 in trafficking of ABCB11, the canalicular bile acid transporter...
- Hepatic bile acid metabolism and expression of cytochrome P450 and related enzymes are altered in Bsep (-/-) miceEugene Hrycay
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, V6T1Z3, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 389:119-32. 2014The bile salt export pump (BSEP/Bsep; gene symbol ABCB11/Abcb11) translocates bile salts across the hepatocyte canalicular membrane into bile in humans and mice...
- Mechanistic insights into isoform-dependent and species-specific regulation of bile salt export pump by farnesoid X receptorXiulong Song
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Center for Pharmacogenomics and Molecular Therapy, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881
J Lipid Res 54:3030-44. 2013Expression of bile salt export pump (BSEP) is regulated by the bile acid/farnesoid X receptor (FXR) signaling pathway. Two FXR isoforms, FXRα1 and FXRα2, are predominantly expressed in human liver...
- Defective canalicular transport and toxicity of dietary ursodeoxycholic acid in the abcb11-/- mouse: transport and gene expression studiesRenxue Wang
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, 675 W 10 Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 1L3
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 305:G286-94. 2013The bile salt export pump (BSEP), encoded by the abcb11 gene, is the major canalicular transporter of bile acids from the hepatocyte...
- Diet1 functions in the FGF15/19 enterohepatic signaling axis to modulate bile acid and lipid levelsLaurent Vergnes
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Metab 17:916-28. 2013..Diet1 and FGF19 proteins exhibited overlapping subcellular localization in cultured intestinal cells. These results establish Diet1 as a control point in enterohepatic bile acid signaling and lipid homeostasis...
- Disruption of Stard10 gene alters the PPARα-mediated bile acid homeostasisMasanori Ito
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Toho University, Ota ku, Tokyo, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1831:459-68. 2013..These results indicate that STARD10 is involved in regulating bile acid metabolism through the modulation of PPARα-mediated mechanism...
- Hepatic overexpression of Abcb11 in mice promotes the conservation of bile acids within the enterohepatic circulationAnne S Henkel
Division of Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 304:G221-6. 2013The bile salt export pump, encoded by ABCB11, is the predominant canalicular transport protein for biliary bile acid secretion...
- The Src family kinase Fyn mediates hyperosmolarity-induced Mrp2 and Bsep retrieval from canalicular membraneMiriam Cantore
Clinic for Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Infectiology, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:45014-29. 2011..D'urso, D., Keppler, D., and Häussinger, D. (1997) Gastroenterology 113, 1438-1442) and Bsep retrieval (Schmitt, M., Kubitz, R., Lizun, S., Wettstein, M., and Häussinger, D...
- Abcb11 deficiency induces cholestasis coupled to impaired β-fatty acid oxidation in miceYuanyuan Zhang
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
J Biol Chem 287:24784-94. 2012The bile salt export pump (BSEP) is an ATP-binding cassette transporter that serves as the primary system for removing bile salts from the liver...
- miR-33 controls the expression of biliary transporters, and mediates statin- and diet-induced hepatotoxicityRyan M Allen
Edward A Doisy Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, MO, USA
EMBO Mol Med 4:882-95. 2012..We show that two of these transporters, ABCB11 and ATP8B1, are functional targets of miR-33, a micro-RNA that is expressed from within an intron of SREBP-2...
- The role of bile salt toxicity in the pathogenesis of bile duct injury after non-heart-beating porcine liver transplantationMarit J Yska
Section of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Transplantation 85:1625-31. 2008..The role of bile salt toxicity in the development of biliary strictures after NHB liver transplantation is unclear...
- Hepatic overexpression of abcb11 promotes hypercholesterolemia and obesity in miceAnne S Henkel
Division of Hepatology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Gastroenterology 141:1404-11, 1411.e1-2. 2011b>ABCB11 is a canalicular transport protein that controls the rate-limiting step in hepatic bile acid secretion. Its expression levels vary in humans, and it is not clear how these variations affect lipid metabolism...
- Cellular energy depletion resets whole-body energy by promoting coactivator-mediated dietary fuel absorptionAtul R Chopra
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cell Metab 13:35-43. 2011..can be completely rescued by replenishing intestinal BA or by genetically restoring the levels of hepatic bile salt export pump (BSEP)...
- Role of hepatic transporters in prevention of bile acid toxicity after partial hepatectomy in miceIván L Csanaky
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutics, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G419-33. 2009..The mRNA and protein levels of the BA uptake transporter Ntcp were unchanged after PHx, whereas the canalicular Bsep protein increased twofold at 48 h. The basolateral efflux transporter Mrp3 was induced at the mRNA (2...
- Activity of the bile salt export pump (ABCB11) is critically dependent on canalicular membrane cholesterol contentCoen C Paulusma
AMC Liver Center, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 69 71, 1105 BK, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 284:9947-54. 2009..cholesterol extraction from the canalicular membrane impairs the activity of the bile salt transporter, ABCB11, and as a consequence causes cholestasis...
- Analysis of DNA methylation and histone modification profiles of liver-specific transportersSatoki Imai
Department of Molecular Pharmacokinetics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Pharmacol 75:568-76. 2009..underlies the tissue-specific expression of mouse liver-specific transporters (Oatp1b2/Slco1b2, Ntcp/Slc10a1, Bsep/Abcb11, and Abcg5/g8)...
- Hepatic overexpression of murine Abcb11 increases hepatobiliary lipid secretion and reduces hepatic steatosisAnne Figge
Department of Medicine III, University Hospital Aachen, Aachen University, 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Biol Chem 279:2790-9. 2004Abcb11 encodes for the liver bile salt export pump, which is rate-limiting for hepatobiliary bile salt secretion...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of the murine bile salt export pumpR M Green
Section of Digestive and Liver Diseases, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine and Chicago Veteran s Administration Medical Center, Westside Division, 840 S Wood St M C 787, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Gene 241:117-23. 2000..Recently, the rat sister-of-p-glycoprotein/bile salt export pump (spgp/BSEP) was demonstrated to encode for the rat ATP-dependent canalicular bile salt export protein, and ..
- Identification of 18 mouse ABC genes and characterization of the ABC superfamily in Mus musculusL M Schriml
Human Genetics Section, Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, National Cancer Institute Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Genomics 64:24-31. 2000..The mouse ABC genes could be grouped into the seven previously described human ABC subfamilies. Three mouse ABC genes mapped to regions implicated in cholesterol gallstone susceptibility...
- Quantitative trait loci mapping for cholesterol gallstones in AKR/J and C57L/J strains of miceB Paigen
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Physiol Genomics 4:59-65. 2000..The major locus, Lith1, mapped near D2Mit56 and was confirmed by constructing a congenic strain, AK. L-Lith1(s)...
- Targeted inactivation of sister of P-glycoprotein gene (spgp) in mice results in nonprogressive but persistent intrahepatic cholestasisR Wang
British Columbia Cancer Research Center, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 1L3
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:2011-6. 2001Mutations in the sister of P-glycoprotein (Spgp) or bile salt export pump (BSEP) are associated with Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis (PFIC2). Spgp is predominantly expressed in the canalicular membranes of liver...
- Hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha is an essential regulator of bile acid and plasma cholesterol metabolismD Q Shih
Laboratorie of Metabolic Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York, USA
Nat Genet 27:375-82. 2001..Our studies demonstrate that Tcf1, in addition to being an important regulator of insulin secretion, is an essential transcriptional regulator of bile acid and HDL-cholesterol metabolism...
- The Diet1 locus confers protection against hypercholesterolemia through enhanced bile acid metabolismJack Phan
Department of Medicine, UCLA and the Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
J Biol Chem 277:469-77. 2002..Genetic analysis of serum bile acid levels revealed co-segregation with Diet1, indicating that this locus is likely responsible for both increased bile acid excretion and resistance to hypercholesterolemia in B6By mice...
- Radixin deficiency causes conjugated hyperbilirubinemia with loss of Mrp2 from bile canalicular membranesShojiro Kikuchi
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Nat Genet 31:320-5. 2002..These findings indicate that radixin is required for secretion of conjugated bilirubin through its support of Mrp2 localization at BCMs...
- Effects of bile salt flux variations on the expression of hepatic bile salt transporters in vivo in miceHenk Wolters
Center for Liver, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases, Groningen University Institute for Drug Exploration, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Hepatol 37:556-63. 2002..We investigated the physiological relevance of this regulation by evaluating transporter expression in mice experiencing different transhepatic bile salt fluxes...
- Appearance of atypical 3 alpha,6 beta,7 beta,12 alpha-tetrahydroxy-5 beta-cholan-24-oic acid in spgp knockout miceShahid Perwaiz
Department of Pharmacology, Université de Montréal and Centre de Recherche de l Hôpital Sainte Justine, Montreal, Canada
J Lipid Res 44:494-502. 2003..The sister-of-p-glycoprotein (spgp) gene was shown to encode the canalicular bile salt export protein, and mutations in spgp gene were identified as ..
- High-resolution maps of the murine Chromosome 2 region containing the cholesterol gallstone locus, Lith1G Bouchard
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main St, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Mamm Genome 10:1070-4. 1999..markers in the D2Mit182 to D2Mit14 region and two candidate genes for Lith1, the canalicular bile salt export pump (Bsep) also known as sister of P-glycoprotein (Spgp) and the low-density-lipoprotein-receptor-related gene ..
- A progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis type 2 mutation causes an unstable, temperature-sensitive bile salt export pumpJacqueline R M Plass
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Center for Liver, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases, University Hospital Groningen, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
J Hepatol 40:24-30. 2004..The disease is caused by mutations in the bile salt export pump (BSEP). Ten different missense mutations have been described...
- Hepatic canalicular membrane transport of bile salt in C57L/J and AKR/J mice: implications for cholesterol gallstone formationF Hoda
Division of Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Membr Biol 196:9-14. 2003..Abcb11 encodes for the liver canalicular membrane bile salt export pump (BSEP), which maps to this QTL and is a candidate gene for Lith 1...
- A mouse model of sitosterolemia: absence of Abcg8/sterolin-2 results in failure to secrete biliary cholesterolEric L Klett
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Medical Genetics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29403, USA
BMC Med 2:5. 2004..No phenotypic difference has yet been described in humans with complete defects in either ABCG5 or ABCG8. These proteins, based upon the defects in humans, are responsible for regulating dietary sterol entry and biliary sterol secretion...
- TNF-alpha regulates mouse fetal hepatic maturation induced by oncostatin M and extracellular matricesAkihide Kamiya
Laboratory of Metabolism, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hepatology 40:527-36. 2004..In conclusion, TNFalpha is a suppressive factor of hepatic maturation. The balance between hepatic maturation factor (OSM and extracellular matrices) and TNFalpha is important for liver development...
- Bile acid transport in sister of P-glycoprotein (ABCB11) knockout micePing Lam
British Columbia Cancer Research Center, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 1L3, Canada
Biochemistry 44:12598-605. 2005..of the ATP binding cassette transporter (ABC) superfamily, known as sister of P-glycoprotein (Spgp) or bile salt export pump (Bsep, ABCB11)...
- Mice overexpressing hepatic Abcb11 rapidly develop cholesterol gallstonesAnne Henkel
Division of Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Tarry 14 711, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, USA
Mamm Genome 16:903-8. 2005..QTL analysis has identified the Lith 1 loci on mouse Chromosome 2, and the hepatic bile salt transporter Abcb11 maps to the Lith 1 locus...
- ABC transporter expression profiling after ischemic reperfusion injury in mouse kidneyM Huls
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Nijmegen Centre for Molecular Life Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Kidney Int 69:2186-93. 2006..Abcb11 is the major liver canalicular bile salt export pump. Here we show for the first time expression in the kidney and localization of the transporter to the ..
- Regulation of hepatic bile acid transporters Ntcp and Bsep expressionXingguo Cheng
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Therapeutics, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 74:1665-76. 2007Sodium-taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (Ntcp) and bile salt export pump (Bsep) are two key transporters for hepatic bile acid uptake and excretion...