Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: transferrin
Alias: HEL-S-71p, PRO1557, PRO2086, TFQTL1, serotransferrin, beta-1 metal-binding globulin, epididymis secretory sperm binding protein Li 71p, siderophilin
Publications127 found, 100 shown here
- Carbon monoxide (CO)-releasing molecule-derived CO regulates tissue factor and plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 in human endothelial cellsKeiko Maruyama
Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Thromb Res 130:e188-93. 2012..Additionally, we examined the mechanism by which CO exerts its effects...
- Nox2 and Rac1 regulate H2O2-dependent recruitment of TRAF6 to endosomal interleukin-1 receptor complexesQiang Li
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, 51 Newton Road, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:140-54. 2006..The identification of Nox-active endosomes helps explain how subcellular compartmentalization of redox signals can be used to direct receptor activation from the plasma membrane...
- The mechanism of iron release from the transferrin-receptor 1 adductMiryana Hemadi
ITODYS Interfaces, Traitements, Organisation et Dynamique des Systemes, Université Paris 7 CNRS UMR 7086, 1 rue Guy de la Brosse, 75005 Paris, France
J Mol Biol 358:1125-36. 2006..determination in cell-free assays of the mechanism of iron release from the N-lobe and C-lobe of human serum transferrin in interaction with intact transferrin receptor 1 at 4.3< or =pH< or =6.5...
- Changes in brain gene expression shared by scrapie and Alzheimer diseaseJ R Duguid
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Edith N Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA 01730
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:7260-4. 1989..DNA sequence analysis has shown that these two recombinants represent the genes for sulfated glycoprotein 2 and transferrin. The abundance of sulfated glycoprotein 2 RNA is increased in hippocampus from patients with Alzheimer disease ..
- Human transferrin (Tf): a single mutation at codon 570 determines Tf C1 or Tf C2 variantK Namekata
Department of Neuropathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Hum Genet 100:457-8. 1997b>Transferrin (Tf) has many variants, as revealed by isoelectric focusing (IEF)...
- The hemochromatosis gene product complexes with the transferrin receptor and lowers its affinity for ligand bindingJ N Feder
Progenitor, Inc formerly Mercator Genetics, Inc, 4040 Campbell Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:1472-7. 1998..wild-type or mutant HFE proteins that both the wild-type and H63D HFE proteins form stable complexes with the transferrin receptor (TfR)...
- Ligand-induced conformational change in transferrins: crystal structure of the open form of the N-terminal half-molecule of human transferrinP D Jeffrey
Department of Biochemistry, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Biochemistry 37:13978-86. 1998Serum transferrin binds ferric ions in the bloodstream and transports them to cells, where they are released in a process involving receptor-mediated endocytosis...
- Alternative splicing prevents transferrin secretion during differentiation of a human oligodendrocyte cell lineG A de Arriba Zerpa
Unité d Expression des Gènes Eucaryotes, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Neurosci Res 61:388-95. 2000b>Transferrin, the iron-transport protein of vertebrate serum, is synthesized mainly in the liver, from which it is secreted into the blood...
- Human transferrin G277S mutation: a risk factor for iron deficiency anaemiaP L Lee
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Br J Haematol 115:329-33. 2001Numerous polymorphisms of the transferrin gene result in a range of electrophoretic variants. We show that one of these mutations has a functional consequence...
- Association study between late-onset Alzheimer's disease and the transferrin gene polymorphisms in ChinesePeng Zhang
Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 100101 Beijing, China
Neurosci Lett 349:209-11. 2003To investigate the possible involvement of the transferrin (TF) gene polymorphism in the manifestation of Alzheimer's disease (AD), we analyzed the TF and apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotypes of 67 sporadic late-onset AD patients and 131 ..
- Structural reorganization of the transferrin C-lobe and transferrin receptor upon complex formation: the C-lobe binds to the receptor helical domainRutao Liu
Center for Synchrotron Biosciences, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Biochemistry 42:12447-54. 2003Human transferrin, a bilobal protein, with each lobe bearing a single iron-binding site, functions to transport iron into cells...
- Structure of the human transferrin receptor-transferrin complexYifan Cheng
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 116:565-76. 2004Iron, insoluble as free Fe(3+) and toxic as free Fe(2+), is distributed through the body as Fe(3+) bound to transferrin (Tf) for delivery to cells by endocytosis of its complex with transferrin receptor (TfR)...
- Transferrin receptor co-localizes and interacts with the hemochromatosis factor (HFE) and the divalent metal transporter-1 (DMT1) in trophoblast cellsYaron Gruper
Department of Cell Research and Immunology, The George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Israel
J Cell Physiol 204:901-12. 2005..Based on previous and these data we suggest that the level of intracellular iron may regulate both TfR expression (on the post-transcriptional and the post-translational levels) and TfR trafficking/transcytosis in polarized cells...
- Tissue factor and coagulation factor VII levels during acute myocardial infarction: association with genotype and adverse eventsGianluca Campo
Department of Cardiology, University of Ferrara, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2800-6. 2006....
- The G277S transferrin mutation does not affect iron absorption in iron deficient womenBeatriz Sarria
Department of Metabolism and Nutrition, Instituto del Frio, Spanish Council for Scientific Research CSIC, C Jose Antonio Novais 10, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Eur J Nutr 46:57-60. 2007..The G277S transferrin mutation has been implicated as a risk factor for iron deficiency in menstruating women...
- Association study between the transferrin gene and schizophrenia in the Japanese populationNobuhisa Maeno
Department of Psychiatry, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Neuroreport 18:517-20. 2007..Of myelin and oligodendrocyte-related genes, a significant decrease in the mRNA levels of transferrin in schizophrenics has been reported by both microarray and quantitative polymerase chain reaction studies...
- Variants in iron metabolism genes predict higher blood lead levels in young childrenMarianne R Hopkins
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1261-6. 2008..Given the association between iron deficiency and lead absorption, we hypothesized that variants in iron metabolism genes would predict higher blood lead levels in young children...
- Assessment of Alzheimer's disease case-control associations using family-based methodsBrit Maren M Schjeide
MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease MIND, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Neurogenetics 10:19-25. 2009..Further fine-mapping and functional analyses are warranted to elucidate the potential biochemical mechanisms and epidemiological relevance of these genes...
- Variants in TF and HFE explain approximately 40% of genetic variation in serum-transferrin levelsBeben Benyamin
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane 4029, Australia
Am J Hum Genet 84:60-5. 2009..We report the results from two GWASs for serum markers of iron status (serum iron, serum transferrin, transferrin saturation with iron, and serum ferritin), which are important in iron overload (e.g...
- Iron metabolism genes, low-level lead exposure, and QT intervalSung Kyun Park
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:80-5. 2009..oxidative effects of lead, we examined whether polymorphisms in iron metabolism genes [hemochromatosis (HFE), transferrin (TF) C2, and heme oxygenase-1 (HMOX-1)] increase susceptibility to the effects of lead on QT interval in 613 ..
- The role of transferrin receptor 1 and 2 in transferrin-bound iron uptake in human hepatoma cellsCarly E Herbison
The Univ of Western Australia, Fremantle Hospital, Australia
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 297:C1567-75. 2009b>Transferrin receptor (TFR) 1 and 2 are expressed in the liver; TFR1 levels are regulated by cellular iron levels while TFR2 levels are regulated by transferrin saturation...
- Computational structure models of apo and diferric transferrin-transferrin receptor complexesTetsuya Sakajiri
Department of Applied Chemistry, Tokyo University of Science, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8601, Japan
Protein J 28:407-14. 2009Complexation of transferrin (Tf) and its receptor (TfR) is an essential event for iron uptake by the cell. Much data has been accumulated regarding Tf-TfR complexation, such as results from mutagenesis...
- Suggestive synergy between genetic variants in TF and HFE as risk factors for Alzheimer's diseaseJ S K Kauwe
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 153:955-9. 2010..2004); J Med Genet 41:261-265] reported that epistatic interaction between rs1049296 (P589S) in the transferrin gene (TF) and rs1800562 (C282Y) in the hemochromatosis gene (HFE) results in significant association with risk ..
- Properties of a homogeneous C-lobe prepared by introduction of a TEV cleavage site between the lobes of human transferrinAshley N Steere
Department of Biochemistry, University of Vermont, College of Medicine, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Protein Expr Purif 72:32-41. 2010Essential to iron transport and delivery, human serum transferrin (hTF) is a bilobal glycoprotein capable of reversibly binding one ferric ion in each lobe (the N- and C-lobes)...
- Prevalent iron metabolism gene variants associated with increased brain ferritin iron in healthy older menGeorge Bartzokis
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 20:333-41. 2010Prevalent gene variants involved in iron metabolism [hemochromatosis (HFE) H63D and transferrin C2 (TfC2)] have been associated with higher risk and earlier age at onset of Alzheimer's disease (AD), especially in men...
- Systematic analysis of candidate genes for Alzheimer's disease in a French, genome-wide association studyGeoffroy Laumet
INSERM U744, Lille, France
J Alzheimers Dis 20:1181-8. 2010..Of the genes showing nominal association in our cohorts, TFAM and CHRNB2 appear particularly interesting and warrant further genetic and functional follow-up analyses...
- Gender and iron genes may modify associations between brain iron and memory in healthy agingGeorge Bartzokis
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1375-84. 2011..prevalent allelic variants in genes encoding for iron metabolism proteins (hemochromatosis H63D (HFE H63D) and transferrin C2 (TfC2))...
- How the binding of human transferrin primes the transferrin receptor potentiating iron release at endosomal pHBrian E Eckenroth
Department of Biochemistry, University of Vermont, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13089-94. 2011Delivery of iron to cells requires binding of two iron-containing human transferrin (hTF) molecules to the specific homodimeric transferrin receptor (TFR) on the cell surface...
- Brain structure in healthy adults is related to serum transferrin and the H63D polymorphism in the HFE geneNeda Jahanshad
Laboratory of Neuroimaging, Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E851-9. 2012..Specific genetic markers have been previously identified that influence levels of transferrin, the protein that transports iron throughout the body, in the blood and brain...
- Structural basis for iron piracy by pathogenic NeisseriaNicholas Noinaj
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 483:53-8. 2012..Neisseria require iron for survival and can extract it directly from human transferrin for transport across the outer membrane...
- Molecular dynamics simulations of iron- and aluminum-loaded serum transferrin: protonation of Tyr188 is necessary to prompt metal releaseJ I Mujika
Kimika Fakultatea, Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea UPV EHU and Donostia International Physics Center, PK 1072, 20080 Donostia, Euskadi, Spain
Biochemistry 51:7017-27. 2012Serum transferrin (sTf) carries iron in blood serum and delivers it into cells by receptor-mediated endocytosis. The protein can also bind other metals, including aluminum...
- Subcellular localization of tissue factor and human coronary artery smooth muscle cell migrationE Pena
Cardiovascular Research Center, CSIC ICCC, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, IIB Sant Pau, Barcelona CIBEROBN Pathophysiology of Obesity and Nutrition, Barcelona Cardiovascular Research Chair, UAB, Barcelona, Spain
J Thromb Haemost 10:2373-82. 2012..Tissue factor (TF) is the most relevant physiological trigger of thrombosis. Additionally TF is a transmembrane receptor with cell signaling functions...
- An association of transferrin gene polymorphism and serum transferrin levels with age-related macular degenerationDaniel Wysokinski
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Lodz, Pomorska 141 143, 90 236 Lodz, Poland
Exp Eye Res 106:14-23. 2013..In the present work we investigated the association between four polymorphisms of the transferrin gene (rs8177178; rs8177179; rs4481157; rs1130459) and AMD in dependence on the transferrin protein and iron ..
- Intracellular and surface expression of the HIV-1 coreceptor CXCR4/fusin on various leukocyte subsets: rapid internalization and recycling upon activationR Forster
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin Buch, Germany
J Immunol 160:1522-31. 1998..Therefore, receptor internalization and recycling may regulate the functional interaction of the receptor with envelope proteins during an initial step of HIV-1 infection...
- Apotransferrin decreases migration and enhances differentiation of oligodendroglial progenitor cells in an in vitro systemPablo M Paez
Instituto de Quimica y Fisicoquimica Biologica, UBA CONICET, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Dev Neurosci 24:47-58. 2002..This effect was not observed when an antibody against the transferrin receptor was added...
- The position of arginine 124 controls the rate of iron release from the N-lobe of human serum transferrin. A structural studyTy E Adams
Department of Biochemistry, University of Vermont, College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
J Biol Chem 278:6027-33. 2003Human serum transferrin (hTF) is a bilobal iron-binding and transport protein that carries iron in the blood stream for delivery to cells by a pH-dependent mechanism...
- Apotransferrin promotes the differentiation of two oligodendroglial cell linesPablo M Paez
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológica IQUIFIB, UBA CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Glia 46:207-17. 2004..The results suggest that aTf can influence OLGc gene expression and differentiation through multiple mechanisms depending on the maturation of the cell...
- Synergy between the C2 allele of transferrin and the C282Y allele of the haemochromatosis gene (HFE) as risk factors for developing Alzheimer's diseaseK J H Robson
MRC Molecular Haematology Unit, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK
J Med Genet 41:261-5. 2004..There is evidence that iron may play a role in the pathology of Alzheimer's disease (AD). There may be genetic factors that contribute to iron deposition resulting in tissue damage thus exacerbating AD...
- Organization of the human transferrin gene: direct evidence that it originated by gene duplicationI Park
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 82:3149-53. 1985We present the characterization of two overlapping human transferrin genomic clones isolated from a liver DNA library. The two clones represent a total length of 24 kilobase pairs and code for 70% of the protein...
- Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of cDNA for human transferrinG Uzan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 119:273-81. 1984A cDNA clone for human transferrin was identified from a human liver cDNA library by pre-screening with different ss-cDNA probes against length-fractionated liver mRNAs, positive hybridization-selection and nucleotide sequence analysis...
- Transferrin C2 variant does not confer a risk for Alzheimer's disease in KoreansK W Kim
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Kyunggi Provincial Hospital for the Elderly, 17 Sangha ri, Koosung Myun, Yongin, Kyunggi Do, South Korea
Neurosci Lett 308:45-8. 2001We analyzed the transferrin (TF) and apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotypes of 164 probable Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients and 239 cognitively normal elderly controls in Koreans...
- Alfy, a novel FYVE-domain-containing protein associated with protein granules and autophagic membranesAnne Simonsen
Department of Biochemistry, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello, Oslo 0310, Norway
J Cell Sci 117:4239-51. 2004..By electron microscopy, similar structures can be found within autophagosomes. We propose that Alfy might target cytosolic protein aggregates for autophagic degradation...
- HFE association with transferrin receptor 2 increases cellular uptake of transferrin-bound ironAbdul Waheed
Edward A Doisy Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Saint Louis University Liver Center, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 474:193-7. 2008Mutations in either HFE or transferrin receptor 2 (TfR2) cause decreased expression of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin and hemochromatosis...
- The impact of hemochromatosis mutations and transferrin genotype on gonadotropin serum levels in infertile menAlena Buretic-Tomljanovic
Department of Biology and Medical Genetics, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia
Fertil Steril 91:1793-800. 2009..To address the possibility that HFE mutations and TF gene polymorphism cause dysfunction of spermatogenesis and/or the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis via contribution to long-term iron overload in the testes and brain...
- Definition of the residues required for the interaction between glycine-extended gastrin and transferrin in vitroSuzana Kovac
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Austin Health, Victoria, Australia
FEBS J 276:4866-74. 2009b>Transferrin is the main iron transport protein found in the circulation, and the level of transferrin saturation in the blood is an important indicator of iron status...
- Investigation on the interaction between tamoxifen and human holo-transferrin: determination of the binding mechanism by fluorescence quenching, resonance light scattering and circular dichroism methodsSareh Sarzehi
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Islamic Azad University Mashhad Branch, Rahnamaee Avenue, Mashhad, Iran
Int J Biol Macromol 47:558-69. 2010The interaction between tamoxifen (TMX) and human serum transferrin (HTF) was for the first time studied at varying pH values by fluorescence spectroscopy, circular dichroism (CD) and resonance light scattering (RLS)...
- Genome-wide association study identifies genetic loci associated with iron deficiencyChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17390. 2011..2p14; rs3811647 on chr. 3q22, a known SNP in the transferrin (TF) gene region; rs1800562 on chr. 6p22, the C282Y mutation in the HFE gene; rs7787204 on chr...
- HFE mutations and transferrin C1/C2 polymorphism among Croatian patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorderAlena Buretic-Tomljanovic
Department of Biology and Medical Genetics, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Brace Branchetta 20, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
Mol Biol Rep 39:2253-8. 2012..this study was to investigate the possible influence of hemochromatosis gene mutations (HFE-C282Y and H63D) and transferrin gene C2 variant (TF-C2) on susceptibility to schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder and/or age at first ..
- Retinal function and structure in the hypotransferrinemic mouseMichal Lederman
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:605-12. 2012The iron carrier transferrin is expressed at remarkably high levels in normal retinas and is upregulated during retinal degeneration...
- Intronic SNP rs3811647 of the human transferrin gene modulates its expression in hepatoma cellsR Blanco-Rojo
Department of Metabolism and Nutrition, Institute of Food Science, Techonology and Nutrition, Spanish National Research Council, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Nutr Hosp 27:2142-5. 2012b>Transferrin (Tf) exerts a crucial function in the maintenance of systemic iron homeostasis. The expression of the Tf gene is controlled by transcriptional mechanism, although little is known about genetic factors influence.
- Polymorphism of the transferrin gene in eye diseases: keratoconus and Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophyKatarzyna A Wójcik
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Lodz, Pomorska 141 143, 90 236 Lodz, Poland
Biomed Res Int 2013:247438. 2013..Iron may promote the stress by the Fenton reaction, so its homeostasis should be strictly controlled. Transferrin is essential for iron homeostasis because it transports iron from plasma into cells...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis acquires iron by cell-surface sequestration and internalization of human holo-transferrinVishant Mahendra Boradia
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Phase X, Sector 67, SAS Nagar, Punjab 160062, India
Nat Commun 5:4730. 2014..by synthesizing iron-binding molecules known as siderophores and by recruiting a host iron-transport protein, transferrin, to the phagosome. The siderophores extract iron from transferrin and transport it into the bacterium...
- Enhanced tissue factor expression by blood eosinophils from patients with hypereosinophilia: a possible link with thrombosisMassimo Cugno
Dipartimento di Fisiopatologia Medico Chirurgica e dei Trapianti, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy Medicina Interna, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milano, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e111862. 2014..77 (19.22-25.05). Our results indicate that human blood eosinophils contain variable amounts of TF. The higher TF expression in patients with hypereosinophilic disorders may contribute to increase the thrombotic risk. ..
- Common Variants and Haplotypes in the TF, TNF-α, and TMPRSS6 Genes Are Associated with Iron Status in a Female Black South African PopulationWanjiku N Gichohi-Wainaina
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Nutr 145:945-53. 2015..It is unknown whether single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), associated with iron status in European and Asian populations, have the same relation within the African population...
- Subgroup differences in 'brain-type' transferrin and α-synuclein in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophyAkioh Yoshihara
Departments of Neurology
J Biochem 160:87-91. 2016Two transferrin (Tf) glycan-isoforms were previously found in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF); one appears to be derived from serum (Tf-2) and the other from choroid plexus, a CSF-producing tissue (Tf-1)...
- A unique N-glycan on human transferrin in CSF: a possible biomarker for iNPHSatoshi Futakawa
Department of Biochemistry, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Neurobiol Aging 33:1807-15. 2012..On sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, we found two transferrin isoforms: one had a unique N-glycan (Tf-1) whereas the other had N-glycan similar to that of serum transferrin (..
- Na+/H+ exchanger isoform 6 (NHE6/SLC9A6) is involved in clathrin-dependent endocytosis of transferrinLou Xinhan
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Machikaneyama cho 1 1, Toyonaka City, Osaka, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 301:C1431-44. 2011..Uptake of transferrin was also decreased...
- Titanium preferential binding sites in human serum transferrin at physiological concentrationsYoana Nuevo-Ordóñez
Department of Physical and Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
Metallomics 3:1297-303. 2011Serum transferrin (Tf) is an iron binding glycoprotein that plays a central role in the metabolism of this essential metal but it also binds other metal ions...
- TMPRSS6, but not TF, TFR2 or BMP2 variants are associated with increased risk of iron-deficiency anemiaPeng An
Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Hum Mol Genet 21:2124-31. 2012..Variants rs3811647 in TF and rs7385804 in TFR2 were associated with reduced SI, serum transferrin and transferrin saturation levels; however, these variants were not associated with iron deficiency or anemia ..
- Structure-based mutagenesis reveals critical residues in the transferrin receptor participating in the mechanism of pH-induced release of iron from human serum transferrinAshley N Steere
Department of Biochemistry, University of Vermont, College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, United States
Biochemistry 51:2113-21. 2012The recent crystal structure of two monoferric human serum transferrin (Fe(N)hTF) molecules bound to the soluble portion of the homodimeric transferrin receptor (sTFR) has provided new details about this binding interaction that dictates ..
- Lower tissue factor inhibition in patients with ST segment elevation than in patients with non ST elevation acute myocardial infarctionJaume Figueras
Unitat Coronaria, Area del Cor, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Thromb Res 130:458-62. 2012..We hypothesize, however, that STEMI patients may present lower tissue factor plasma inhibition to partly account for their more persistent coronary thrombotic occlusion...
- Transferrin polymorphism and opportunistic infections in HIV-infected women in RwandaFlorence Masaisa
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Acta Haematol 128:100-6. 2012We investigated the prevalence of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected women according to transferrin (TF) phenotype.
- The immunobiology of apotransferrin in type 1 diabetesK Mangano
Department of Bio Medical Sciences, Via Androne 83, 95124, Catania, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 169:244-52. 2012The transferrin (Tf) family of iron binding proteins includes important endogenous modulators of the immune function that may modulate autoimmune diseases...
- The human transferrin gene: 5' region contains conserved sequences which match the control elements regulated by heavy metals, glucocorticoids and acute phase reactionG S Adrian
Gene 49:167-75. 1986b>Transferrin is a major plasma protein that transports iron to proliferating cells throughout the body. A clone containing the 5' region of the human transferrin gene has been isolated and characterized...
- Complete structure of the human transferrin gene. Comparison with analogous chicken gene and human pseudogeneE Schaeffer
Unite de Biochimie Cellulaire, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Gene 56:109-16. 1987The complete structure of the human transferrin gene is presented. This gene has a total size of about 33.5 kb and is organized in 17 exons separated by 16 introns. The chicken ovotransferrin gene has a size of 10...
- Human transferrins C and D-Chi: an amino acid differenceA C Wang
Biochem Genet 1:55-9. 1967
- [Congenital atransferrinemia in a 11-month-old child]J Cap
Cesk Pediatr 23:1020-5. 1968
- Exon/intron structure of the human transferrin receptor geneP Evans
Department of Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, USA
Gene 199:123-31. 1997A PCR-based intron jumping strategy has been utilized to investigate the exon/intron structure of the human transferrin receptor gene and determine the sequences of exon/intron junctions...
- Two high-resolution crystal structures of the recombinant N-lobe of human transferrin reveal a structural change implicated in iron releaseR T MacGillivray
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Biochemistry 37:7919-28. 1998The N-lobe of human serum transferrin (hTF/2N) has been expressed in baby hamster kidney cells and crystallized in both orthorhombic (P212121) and tetragonal (P41212) space groups. Both crystal forms diffract to high resolution (1...
- X-ray crystallography and mass spectroscopy reveal that the N-lobe of human transferrin expressed in Pichia pastoris is folded correctly but is glycosylated on serine-32M C Bewley
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, College of Sciences, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Biochemistry 38:2535-41. 1999The ferric form of the N-lobe of human serum transferrin (Fe(III)-hTF/2N) has been expressed at high levels in Pichia pastoris...
- Molecular characterization of a case of atransferrinemiaE Beutler
The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA92037, USA
Blood 96:4071-4. 2000..We determined the sequences flanking the exons of the human transferrin gene and sequenced all of the exons and some of the flanking regions of the patient's DNA and that of her ..
- Truncated brush border myosin I affects membrane traffic in polarized epithelial cellsA Durrbach
CNRS ERS 1984, 19 rue Guy Moquet 94801 Villejuif, France
Traffic 1:411-24. 2000..We observed that depolymerization of actin filaments using latrunculin A decreases the rate of transferrin recycling to the basolateral plasma membrane of Caco-2 cells, and increases its delivery to the apical plasma ..
- Identification of 96 single nucleotide polymorphisms in eight genes involved in iron metabolism: efficiency of bioinformatic extraction compared with a systematic sequencing approachV Douabin-Gicquel
Département de Biochimie et Biologie Moléculaire, et UMR6061 CNRS, Faculte de Medecine, 2 Avenue du Pr Léon Bernard CS34317, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
Hum Genet 109:393-401. 2001..The average distance between the SNPs and minor allele frequencies were higher than reported by others authors; this discrepancy may reflect the nature of the genes studied and the ethnic homogeneity of our test population...
- Molecular analysis of the transferrin gene in a patient with hereditary hypotransferrinemiaMidori Asada-Senju
Department of Clinical Genetics, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Beppu, Oita, Japan
J Hum Genet 47:355-9. 2002..from severe anemia and growth retardation and was diagnosed on the basis of an extremely low level of serum transferrin (TF)...
- Presence of alpha1-antitrypsin and transferrin in human follicular fluid--correlation with fertilizationVassiliki Aleporou-Marinou
Department of Biology, University of Athens, Panepistimiopolis 15701, Athens, Greece
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 133:105-11. 2002..of approximately 50 kDa and 80 kDa with N-terminal sequences similar to those of alpha1-antitrypsin (a1AT) and transferrin indicating that they are identical to or highly homologous to these proteins...
- Complexation of ytterbium to human transferrin and its uptake by K562 cellsXiu Lian Du
Department of Chemical Biology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, China
Eur J Biochem 269:6082-90. 2002..Lanthanide cations are similar to ferric ions with regard to transferrin binding, suggesting transferrin-receptor mediated transport is possible; however, this has not yet been ..
- Function and therapeutic development of apotransferrinJaakko Parkkinen
Finnish Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service, Helsinki, Finland
Vox Sang 83:321-6. 2002
- The effects of ethanol on the glycosylation of human transferrinC Flahaut
UMR 8576 du CNRS, Laboratoire de Glycobiologie Structurale et Fonctionnelle, Et Ifr 118 Ustl, 59655, Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Glycobiology 13:191-8. 2003Appearance of a hyposialylated transferrin fraction in the plasma during chronic alcohol exposure is a well-known phenomenon, and it represents the best available marker of chronic alcohol consumption...
- Proteomic and postproteomic characterization of keratan sulfate-glycanated isoforms of thyroglobulin and transferrin uniquely elaborated by papillary thyroid carcinomasGaetano Magro
Department F G Ingrassia, Section of Anatomic Pathology, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Am J Pathol 163:183-96. 2003..approach revealed that the PTC-specific KS-bearing macromolecules were unique glycoforms of thyroglobulin and transferrin. Combined, reciprocal immunoprecipitation and Western blotting further indicated that the former glycoform ..
- Transcriptional regulation of the human transferrin gene by GADD153 in hepatoma cellsKyung Ran You
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Medical Science, Chonbuk National University Medical School and Hospital, Chonju, Chonbuk, South Korea
Hepatology 38:745-55. 2003..Among them, we further verified that the expression of transferrin (Tf), which is a negative acute-phase protein and is essential to cell survival as a growth factor, was highly ..
- Transferrin C2 variant does confer a risk for Alzheimer's disease in caucasiansPamela Zambenedetti
Pathology Division and Brain Bank, General Hospital, Dolo Venice, Italy
J Alzheimers Dis 5:423-7. 2003..Previous studies reported higher transferrin C2 allele frequencies in Alzheimer's disease compared with normal controls...
- Molecular characterization of a third case of human atransferrinemiaA S Knisely
Blood 104:2607. 2004
- Soluble transferrin receptor and mutations in hemochromatosis and transferrin genes in a general Catalan populationVictória Bérez
Centre de Recerca Biomedica, Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, Institut de Recerca en Ciències de la Salut, C Sant Joan s n, 43201 Reus, Catalunya, Spain
Clin Chim Acta 353:205-8. 2005The measurement of soluble transferrin receptor (sTfR) has been proposed as a valuable marker of erythropoietic activity and iron status...
- The C2 variant of human serum transferrin retains the iron binding properties of the native proteinPaolo Zatta
CNR Institute for Biomedical Technologies, Metalloproteins Unit, Department of Biology, University of Padova, Vle G Colombo, 3, 3512 Padova, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1741:264-70. 2005The tryptic digests of blood samples obtained from transferrin C1 and C2 (TfC 1 and TfC2 hereafter) genotypes were analysed by Liquid Chromatography coupled to Electrospray Mass Spectrometry (LC/ESI--MS/MS)...
- Association study of the G258S transferrin gene polymorphism and Parkinson's disease in the Spanish populationMario Ezquerra
J Neurol 252:1269-70. 2005
- Aluminum exposure affects transferrin-dependent and -independent iron uptake by K562 cellsGladys Pérez
Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Pabellon II, Piso 4, Ciudad Universitaria, Ciudad de Buenos Aires C1428EHA, Argentina
Biochim Biophys Acta 1745:124-30. 2005Aluminum (Al) and iron (Fe) share several physicochemical characteristics and they both bind to transferrin (Tf), entering the cell via Tf receptors (TfR)...
- Serum level of sialic acid (SA) and carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (CDT) in type 2 diabetes mellitus with microvascular complicationsBogdan Cylwik
Department of Biochemical Diagnostics, Medical University, Bialystok, Poland
J Clin Lab Anal 20:68-73. 2006Sialic acid (SA) is responsible for the composition of different isoforms of transferrin and is reported to be a marker of microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Iron genes, iron load and risk of Alzheimer's diseaseD J Lehmann
J Med Genet 43:e52. 2006Compound heterozygotes of the haemochromatosis gene (HFE) variants, H63D and C282Y, have raised transferrin saturation compared with that in the wild type...
- Biological variability of transferrin saturation and unsaturated iron-binding capacityPaul C Adams
Department of Medicine, University Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Med 120:999.e1-7. 2007b>Transferrin saturation is widely considered the preferred screening test for hemochromatosis. Unsaturated iron-binding capacity has similar performance at lower cost...
- Polymorphisms of Transferrin gene are associated with schizophrenia in Chinese Han populationMei Qu
Key laboratory for Mental Health, Ministry of Health, Institute of Mental Health, Peking University, 51 Hua Yuan Bei Road, Beijing 100083, China
J Psychiatr Res 42:877-83. 2008..b>Transferrin (TF), an iron transport glycoprotein playing an important role in synthesis of myelin and the development of ..
- Genetic variants of transferrin in cystic fibrosisE Marklova
Department of Pediatrics, Charles University in Prague, University Hospital in Hradec Kralove, Sokolska 581, 500 05, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
J Inherit Metab Dis 31:457-61. 2008Genetic polymorphism of serum transferrin (Tf) was studied in order to differentiate between protein genetic variants and congenital disorders of glycosylation (CDG), further focusing on unusual findings.
- Atypical serum transferrin isoform distribution in liver cirrhosis studied by HPLC, capillary electrophoresis and transferrin genotypingTorsten Arndt
Bioscientia Institut fuer Medizinische Diagnostik GmbH, Ingelheim, Germany
Clin Chim Acta 394:42-6. 2008..We describe a currently unknown disialotransferrin-trisialotransferrin-bridging phenomenon (di-tri-bridge) appearing with high prevalence in serum from liver cirrhosis patients...
- The protective role of transferrin in Müller glial cells after iron-induced toxicityEmilie Picard
INSERM, U872, Paris, France
Mol Vis 14:928-41. 2008b>Transferrin (Tf) expression is enhanced by aging and inflammation in humans. We investigated the role of transferrin in glial protection.
- Alzheimer's disease risk variants show association with cerebrospinal fluid amyloid betaJohn S K Kauwe
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Neurogenetics 10:13-7. 2009....
- Tissue factor and cancerChloe Milsom
Henderson Research Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada
Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 36:160-76. 2008..The efficacy and safety of such approaches still awaits clinical verification...
- Tissue factor gene polymorphisms and haplotypes and the risk of ischemic vascular events: four studies and a meta-analysisM de Gaetano
Laboratory of Genetic and Environmental Epidemiology, RE ARTU Research Laboratories John Paul II Center for High Technology Research and Education in Biomedical Sciences, Catholic University, Campobasso, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 7:1465-71. 2009..We investigated the role of genetic polymorphisms and haplotypes of the TF gene in the risk of ischemic vascular disease...
- A loop in the N-lobe of human serum transferrin is critical for binding to the transferrin receptor as revealed by mutagenesis, isothermal titration calorimetry, and epitope mappingAnne B Mason
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Mol Recognit 22:521-9. 2009b>Transferrin (TF) is a bilobal transport protein that acquires ferric iron from the diet and holds it tightly within the cleft of each lobe (thereby preventing its hydrolysis)...
- Human growth hormone-transferrin fusion protein for oral delivery in hypophysectomized ratsNurmamet Amet
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Southern California School of Pharmacy, PSC 404B, 1985 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9121, USA
J Control Release 141:177-82. 2010b>Transferrin (Tf)-based recombinant fusion protein approach was investigated to achieve oral delivery for human growth hormone (hGH)...
- Excited-state lifetime studies of the three tryptophan residues in the N-lobe of human serum transferrinNicholas G James
Department of Biochemistry, University of Vermont, College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Protein Sci 19:99-110. 2010The energy transfer from the three Trp residues at positions 8, 128, and 264 within the human serum transferrin (hTF) N-lobe to the ligand to metal charge transfer band has been investigated by monitoring changes in Trp fluorescence ..
- Human MRCKalpha is regulated by cellular iron levels and interferes with transferrin iron uptakeRadek Cmejla
Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Department of Cell Physiology, U Nemocnice 1, Prague 128 20, Czech Republic
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 395:163-7. 2010..Here we report that MRCKalpha protein expression is also regulated by iron levels; MRCKalpha colocalizes with transferrin (Tf)-loaded transferrin receptors (TfR), and attenuation of MRCKalpha expression by a short hairpin RNA ..
- Brain Development on Adults with SchizophreniaGeorge Bartzokis; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will change our concept of how we could treat this illness, the feasibility of changing its lifelong course, and would encourage the development of novel pharmacologic interventions to improve myelination. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Iron Status: A Pathway Analysis in Multiple EthnicitiesChristine McLaren; Fiscal Year: 2009..Potential study results could be used to identify individuals at risk for iron deficiency and to develop innovative prevention and treatment strategies. ..
- IRON BINDING PROTEINS AND CONTROL OF IRON METABOLISMPhilip Aisen; Fiscal Year: 2001..Human transferrin, the major interest of this research, serves in the circulatory transport of iron for cellular needs...
- FORMATION AND SURVIVAL OF RED BLOOD CELLSErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Should these point mutations fail to alter gene transcription, a search will be made for other potential mutations in linkage disequilibrium with the known -5,-8 and -24 polymorphisms, by sequencing upstream through the promotor. ..
- IRON TRANSPORT IN MAMMALIAN CELLSPhilip Aisen; Fiscal Year: 2003..are: Project 1: Mechanisms of cellular iron uptake from transferring focuses on cellular iron acquisition from transferrin by receptor-independent routes, and also includes studies of transferrin-transferrin receptor interactions (in ..
- A Mouse Model of Gaucher DiseaseErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2005..In particular, electron microscopy and light microscopy will be used to attempt to demonstrate the development of Gaucher cells in the chimeric mice. ..
- SEARCH FOR NOVEL EARLY-ONSET ALZHEIMER'S GENESLars Bertram; Fiscal Year: 2007..While we have devised a strategy that integrates the best available methods to identify complex disease genes, we will routinely adjust our strategy to account for methodologic advances in this rapidly evolving field. ..