Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TAS2R4
Description: taste 2 receptor member 4
Alias: T2R4, taste receptor type 2 member 4, candidate taste receptor T2R4, taste receptor, type 2, member 4
- Caffeine Bitterness is Related to Daily Caffeine Intake and Bitter Receptor mRNA Abundance in Human Taste TissueSarah V Lipchock
Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Perception . 2017..papilla mRNA abundance of bitter receptors that respond to the corresponding bitter stimuli in cell-based assays ( TAS2R4, TAS2R10, TAS2R38, TAS2R43, and TAS2R46)...
- Rebaudioside A and Rebaudioside D bitterness do not covary with Acesulfame K bitterness or polymorphisms in TAS2R9 and TAS2R31.Alissa L Allen
Sensory Evaluation Center, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA Department of Food Science, College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA
Chemosens Percept 6:. 2013..Because RebA activates hT2R4 and hT2R14, a SNP in TAS2R4 previously associated with variation in bitterness perception was included here; there are no known functional ..
- Differential expression of bitter taste receptors in non-cancerous breast epithelial and breast cancer cellsNisha Singh
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, and the Manitoba Institute of Child Health, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0W4, Canada
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 446:499-503. 2014..In this report using quantitative (q)-PCR and flow cytometry, we characterized the expression of T2R1, T2R4, T2R10, T2R38 and T2R49 in the highly metastatic breast cancer cell line MDA-MB-231, poorly metastatic cell line ..
- Genetic signature of differential sensitivity to stevioside in the Italian populationDavide Risso
Laboratory of Molecular Anthropology and Centre for Genome Biology, Department of BiGeA, University of Bologna, Via Selmi 3, 40126, Bologna, Italy
Genes Nutr 9:401. 2014..Recently, TAS2R4 and TAS2R14 have been identified as the receptors that mediate the bitter off-taste of steviol glycosides in vitro...
- Bitter taste receptor agonists mediate relaxation of human and rodent vascular smooth muscleMartijn L Manson
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden Centre for Allergy Research, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden Electronic address
Eur J Pharmacol 740:302-11. 2014..Chloroquine, denatonium, dextromethorphan, noscapine and quinine, agonists for TAS2R3, TAS2R4, TAS2R10 and TAS2R14, induced strong endothelium-independent relaxations (responses between 82-96% of maximal ..
- Amino acid derivatives as bitter taste receptor (T2R) blockersSai P Pydi
From the Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0W4, The Manitoba Institute of Child Health, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0W4, and
J Biol Chem 289:25054-66. 2014..this study, using molecular modeling guided site-directed mutagenesis, we elucidated the ligand-binding pocket of T2R4. We found seven amino acids located in the extracellular side of transmembrane 3 (TM3), TM4, extracellular loop 2 (..
- Abscisic Acid Acts as a Blocker of the Bitter Taste G Protein-Coupled Receptor T2R4Sai P Pydi
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0W4, Canada
Biochemistry 54:2622-31. 2015..Recently, we elucidated the binding pocket of T2R4 for its agonist quinine, and an antagonist and inhibitory neurotransmitter, γ-aminobutyric acid...
- The structure-function role of C-terminus in human bitter taste receptor T2R4 signalingJasbir Upadhyaya
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0W2, Canada Biology of Breathing Group, Children s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0W2, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1848:1502-8. 2015..Using site-directed mutagenesis we studied the role of 16 residues in the C-terminus of T2R4. The C-terminus of T2R4 is polybasic with 6 of the 16 residues consisting of lysines, constituting two separate KK ..
- The Pharmacochaperone Activity of Quinine on Bitter Taste ReceptorsJasbir D Upadhyaya
Department of Oral Biology, and Manitoba Chemosensory Biology MCSB Research group, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, R3E 0W2, Canada
PLoS ONE 11:e0156347. 2016..Here, using a combination of molecular and pharmacological techniques we show that T2R4 is not internalized upon agonist treatment...
- The molecular receptive ranges of human TAS2R bitter taste receptorsWolfgang Meyerhof
Department of Molecular Genetics, German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam Rehbruecke, Arthur Scheunert Allee 114 116, 14558 Nuthetal, Germany
Chem Senses 35:157-70. 2010..Conversely, though 63 bitter substances activated only 1-3 receptors, 19 compounds stimulated up to 15 hTAS2Rs. Our data suggest that the detection of the numerous bitter chemicals is related to the molecular receptive ranges of hTAS2Rs...
- Cholesterol modulates bitter taste receptor functionSai Prasad Pydi
Department of Oral Biology and Manitoba Chemosensory Biology Research Group, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0W4, Canada Children s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba CHRIM, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0W4, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1858:2081-7. 2016..In the overall context of the role of membrane lipids in GPCR function, we show here that T2R4, a representative member of the bitter taste receptor family, displays cholesterol sensitivity in its signaling ..
- Next generation semiconductor based sequencing of bitter taste receptor genes in different pig populations and association analysis using a selective DNA pool-seq approachA Ribani
Department of Agricultural and Food Sciences DISTAL, Division of Animal Sciences, University of Bologna, Viale Fanin 46, 40127, Bologna, Italy
Anim Genet 48:97-102. 2017..next generation semiconductor based target resequencing, we analysed nine porcine TAS2R genes (TAS2R1, TAS2R3, TAS2R4, TAS2R7, TAS2R9, TAS2R10, TAS2R16, TAS2R38 and TAS2R39) to identify variability and, at the same time, estimate ..
- Variation in ligand responses of the bitter taste receptors TAS2R1 and TAS2R4 among New World monkeysKei Tsutsui
Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University, Inuyama, Japan
BMC Evol Biol 16:208. 2016..In this study, we compared the ligand sensitivities of the TAS2Rs of five species of NWMs by heterologous expression in HEK293T cells and calcium imaging...
- Regulation of Rac1 GTPase activity by quinine through G-protein and bitter taste receptor T2R4Crystal Sidhu
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Rm D328, Winnipeg, MB, R3E 0W2, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem . 2016Rac1 belongs to the Rho family of small GTPases and regulates actin cytoskeleton reorganization. T2R4 is a bitter taste receptor belonging to the G protein-coupled receptor family of proteins...
- Bitterness of the non-nutritive sweetener acesulfame potassium varies with polymorphisms in TAS2R9 and TAS2R31Alissa L Allen
Sensory Evaluation Center, College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Chem Senses 38:379-89. 2013..Conversely, single nucleotide polymorphisms in TAS2R4, TAS2R38, and near TAS2R16 were not significant predictors...
- The third intracellular loop plays a critical role in bitter taste receptor activationSai Prasad Pydi
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, The Manitoba Institute of Child Health, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0W4, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1838:231-6. 2014..Here, we pursue an alanine scan mutagenesis of the ICL3 of T2R4 and characterize the functionality of 23 alanine mutants...
- A biomimetic bitter receptor-based biosensor with high efficiency immobilization and purification using self-assembled aptamersChunsheng Wu
Biosensor National Special Laboratory, Key Laboratory for Biomedical Engineering of Ministry of Education, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, China
Analyst 138:5989-94. 2013..A human bitter receptor, T2R4, was expressed on the plasma membrane of HEK-293 cells and fused with a His6-tag on its C-terminal...
- Different phenolic compounds activate distinct human bitter taste receptorsSusana Soares
Department of Chemistry, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
J Agric Food Chem 61:1525-33. 2013..Epicatechin activated three receptors, TAS2R4, TAS2R5, and TAS2R39, whereas only two receptors, TAS2R5 and TAS2R39, responded to PGG...
- Amino acids and peptides activate at least five members of the human bitter taste receptor familySusann Kohl
Department of Molecular Genetics, German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam Rehbruecke, 14558 Nuthetal, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 61:53-60. 2013..L-Phenylalanine and L-tryptophan activate TAS2R1 and TAS2R4, respectively, whereas TAS2R4 and TAS2R39 responded to D-tryptophan...
- Identification of novel genes for bitter taste receptors in sheep (Ovis aries)A M Ferreira
Instituto de Ciências Agrárias e Ambientais Mediterrânicas ICAAM, Universidade de Evora, 7000 Evora, Portugal
Animal 7:547-54. 2013..In sheep, we identified eight orthologs of cattle genes: T2R16, T2R10B, T2R12, T2R3, T2R4, T2R67, T2R13 and T2R5. The in silico predicted genes were then confirmed by PCR and DNA sequencing...
- Role of rhodopsin N-terminus in structure and function of rhodopsin-bitter taste receptor chimerasSai Prasad Pydi
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, and the Manitoba Institute of Child Health, Winnipeg MB, Canada R3E 0W4
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 430:179-82. 2013..different lengths of rhodopsin N-terminal sequence effect the structure and function of the bitter taste receptor, T2R4. Guided by molecular models of T2R4 built using a rhodopsin crystal structure as template, we constructed chimeric ..
- The bitter taste receptor (TAS2R) agonists denatonium and chloroquine display distinct patterns of relaxation of the guinea pig tracheaVille Pulkkinen
The Unit for Asthma and Allergy Research, the National Institute of Environmental Medicine and the Centre for Allergy Research, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 303:L956-66. 2012..The receptors for denatonium (TAS2R4, TAS2R10) and chloroquine (TAS2R3, TAS2R10) were expressed in GPT...
- Behavioral analysis of Drosophila transformants expressing human taste receptor genes in the gustatory receptor neuronsRyota Adachi
Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, 1 1 Tsutsumidori Amamiyacho, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
J Neurogenet 26:198-205. 2012Transgenic Drosophila expressing human T2R4 and T2R38 bitter-taste receptors or PKD2L1 sour-taste receptor in the fly gustatory receptor neurons and other tissues were prepared using conventional Gal4/UAS binary system...
- Constitutively active mutant gives novel insights into the mechanism of bitter taste receptor activationSai Prasad Pydi
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Neurochem 122:537-44. 2012..We mutated Gly28¹·⁴⁶ and Ser285⁷·⁴⁷ in T2R4 to G28A, G28L, S285A, S285T, and S285P, and carried out pharmacological characterization of the mutants...
- T2Rs function as bitter taste receptorsJ Chandrashekar
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093, USA
Cell 100:703-11. 2000..Since a single taste receptor cell expresses a large repertoire of T2Rs, these findings provide a plausible explanation for the uniform bitter taste that is evoked by many structurally unrelated toxic compounds...
- Functional bitter taste receptors are expressed in brain cellsNisha Singh
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3E 0W2
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 406:146-51. 2011..RT-PCR analysis revealed the presence of T2R4, T2R107 and T2R38 transcripts in the brain stem, cerebellum, cortex and nucleus accumbens...
- Allelic variation in TAS2R bitter receptor genes associates with variation in sensations from and ingestive behaviors toward common bitter beverages in adultsJohn E Hayes
Department of Food Science, College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, 220 Food Science Building, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Chem Senses 36:311-9. 2011..A haploblock across TAS2R3, TAS2R4, and TAS2R5 explained some variability in the bitterness of espresso coffee...
- Functional expression of mammalian bitter taste receptors in Caenorhabditis elegansC Conte
Neuroscience, Pharma Research, F Hoffmann La Roche, Basel 4070, Switzerland
Biochimie 88:801-6. 2006..As a proof of the concept, we generated transgenic worms expressing human T2R4 or its mouse ortholog T2R8 receptors, which respond to two bitter tastants previously characterised as their ..
- Identification of coding single-nucleotide polymorphisms in human taste receptor genes involving bitter tastingT Ueda
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, Nagoya City University Medical School, Nagoya, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285:147-51. 2001..The identification of nucleotide diversity and amino acid polymorphisms in human T2R receptors could help clarify individual differences in the acceptability and sensitivity to bitter compounds...
- A plethora of taste receptorsS C Kinnamon
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Neuron 25:507-10. 2000
- A family of candidate taste receptors in human and mouseH Matsunami
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 404:601-4. 2000..Another TRB gene is found on a human contig assigned to chromosome 5p15, the location of a genetic locus (PROP) that controls the detection of the bitter compound 6-n-propyl-2-thiouracil in humans...
- The good taste of genomicsS Firestein
Nature 404:552-3. 2000