Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SLUG
Description: snail family transcriptional repressor 2
Alias: SLUG, SLUGH, SLUGH1, SNAIL2, WS2D, zinc finger protein SNAI2, neural crest transcription factor SLUG, protein snail homolog 2, slug (chicken homolog), zinc finger protein, snail family zinc finger 2, snail homolog 2
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- Snail, Slug, and Smad-interacting protein 1 as novel parameters of disease aggressiveness in metastatic ovarian and breast carcinomaSivan Elloul
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Cancer 103:1631-43. 2005..For the current study, the authors analyzed the relation between the expression of Snail, Slug, and Sip1; the expression of MMP-2 and E-cadherin; and clinical parameters in patients with metastatic ovarian and ..
- Canonical Wnt signaling regulates Slug activity and links epithelial-mesenchymal transition with epigenetic Breast Cancer 1, Early Onset (BRCA1) repressionZhao Qiu Wu
Division of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Department of Internal Medicine, Life Sciences Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16654-9. 2012Slug (Snail2) plays critical roles in regulating the epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) programs operative during development and disease. However, the means by which Slug activity is controlled remain unclear...
- Angiopoietin-like protein 1 suppresses SLUG to inhibit cancer cell motilityTsang Chih Kuo
Graduate Institute of Toxicology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Invest 123:1082-95. 2013..suppressed the epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) by reducing the expression of the zinc-finger protein SLUG. A microRNA screen revealed that ANGPTL1 suppressed SLUG by inducing expression of miR-630 in an integrin α(1)β(1)..
- MicroRNA-1 targets Slug and endows lung cancer A549 cells with epithelial and anti-tumorigenic propertiesEiji Tominaga
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Musashino University, Nishitokyo shi, Tokyo, Japan
Exp Cell Res 319:77-88. 2013..These structural and tumorigenic properties induced by miR-1 were associated with the reduced expression of Slug, which was a transcriptional repressor of E-cadherin or an inducer of epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition...
- Stress-induced cellular transcription factors expressed in trigeminal ganglionic neurons stimulate the herpes simplex virus 1 ICP0 promoterDevis Sinani
School of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Nebraska Lincoln, and Nebraska Center for Virology, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
J Virol 87:13042-7. 2013..Three dexamethasone-induced transcription factors, Krüppel-like factor 15, Slug, and SPDEF, stimulated the herpes simplex virus type 1-infected cell protein 0 (ICP0) promoter more than 150-fold...
- Raf 1 represses expression of the tight junction protein occludin via activation of the zinc-finger transcription factor slugZ Wang
Epithelial Pathobiology Research Unit, Department of Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Oncogene 26:1222-30. 2007..a minimal segment of the occludin promoter in concert with upregulation of the transcriptional repressor, Slug without influencing the well-documented transcriptional repressor, Snail...
- Transforming growth factor-β1 induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition and integrin α3β1-mediated cell migration of HSC-4 human squamous cell carcinoma cells through SlugDaishi Saito
Division of Cellular Biosignal Sciences, Department of Biochemistry, Iwate Medical University, Nishitokuta, Yahaba Cho, Iwate 028 3694, Japan
J Biochem 153:303-15. 2013..In addition, the expression levels of the EMT-related transcription factor Slug was significantly upregulated on TGF-β1 stimulation...
- The zinc-finger protein slug causes desmosome dissociation, an initial and necessary step for growth factor-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transitionP Savagner
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut Curie, 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
J Cell Biol 137:1403-19. 1997..We tested for a central role in EMT of a zinc-finger protein called Slug. Slug mRNA and protein levels were increased transiently in FGF-1-treated NBT-II cells...
- Human Slug is a repressor that localizes to sites of active transcriptionK Hemavathy
Program in Molecular Medicine, Department of Cell Biology and University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:5087-95. 2000Snail/Slug family proteins have been identified in diverse species of both vertebrates and invertebrates. The proteins contain four to six zinc fingers and function as DNA-binding transcriptional regulators...
- The SLUG zinc-finger protein represses E-cadherin in breast cancerKaren M Hajra
Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Cancer Res 62:1613-8. 2002..Two zinc-finger transcription factors known to bind E-box elements, SLUG and SNAIL, repressed E-cadherin-driven reporter gene constructs containing wild-type promoter sequences but not ..
- Snail mediates E-cadherin repression by the recruitment of the Sin3A/histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC1)/HDAC2 complexHector Peinado
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Madrid, Spain
Mol Cell Biol 24:306-19. 2004..Our results establish a direct causal relationship between Snail-dependent repression of E-cadherin and the modification of chromatin at its promoter...
- Induction of stem cell factor/c-Kit/slug signal transduction in multidrug-resistant malignant mesothelioma cellsAlfonso Catalano
Department of Molecular Pathology and Innovative Therapies, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona 60131, Italy
J Biol Chem 279:46706-14. 2004..Here, we identified a pathway that involves stem cell factor (SCF)/c-Kit/Slug in mediating multidrug resistance of MM cells...
- Slug Expression in the E-cadherin preserved tumors is related to prognosis in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinomaYasuto Uchikado
Department of Surgical Oncology, Digestive Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kagoshima University, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 11:1174-80. 2005..b>Slug, a member of the snail family of transcriptional factors, is a newly identified suppressive transcriptional factor ..
- Regulation of BRCA2 gene expression by the SLUG repressor protein in human breast cellsManish K Tripathi
Division of Cancer Biology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Meharry Medical College, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37208, USA
J Biol Chem 280:17163-71. 2005..We explored whether the E2-box-binding repressor protein SLUG, which is of similar molecular size, is involved in the silencing process...
- The transcriptional repressor Snail promotes mammary tumor recurrenceSusan E Moody
Department of Cancer Biology, Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
Cancer Cell 8:197-209. 2005..In aggregate, our observations strongly implicate Snail in the process of breast cancer recurrence...
- Slug regulates integrin expression and cell proliferation in human epidermal keratinocytesFrances E Turner
School of Biosciences and School of Medicine, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
J Biol Chem 281:21321-31. 2006..In this paper, we have analyzed the role of a transcriptional repressor called Slug in the regulation of adhesion molecule expression and function in epidermal keratinocytes...
- SLUG (SNAI2) overexpression in embryonic developmentP A Pérez-Mancera
Laboratorio 13, Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular del Cancer, CSIC Universidad de Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Cytogenet Genome Res 114:24-9. 2006The Snail-related zinc-finger transcription factor, SLUG (SNAI2), is critical for the normal development of neural crest-derived cells and loss-of-function SLUG mutations have been proven to cause piebaldism and Waardenburg syndrome type ..
- Jagged1-mediated Notch activation induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition through Slug-induced repression of E-cadherinKevin G Leong
Department of Medical Biophysics, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 1L3, Canada
J Exp Med 204:2935-48. 2007..However, the reason that Jagged1 and/or Notch overexpression portends a poor prognosis is unknown. We identify Slug, a transcriptional repressor, as a novel Notch target and show that elevated levels of Slug correlate with ..
- In vivo binding to and functional repression of the VDR gene promoter by SLUG in human breast cellsMukul K Mittal
Department of Microbial Pathogenesis and Immune Response, Meharry Medical College, 1005 D B Todd Jr Boulevard, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 372:30-4. 2008..We have shown here that the transcriptional repressor protein SLUG inhibits the expression of VDR in human breast cancer cells...
- ERalpha suppresses slug expression directly by transcriptional repressionYin Ye
Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 129 Hamilton Hall, 1645 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biochem J 416:179-87. 2008..pathways in breast cancer are the ER (oestrogen receptor) ligand activation pathway and the E-cadherin snai1 slug EMT (epithelial-mesenchymal transition) pathway...
- Slug (SNAI2) down-regulation by RNA interference facilitates apoptosis and inhibits invasive growth in neuroblastoma preclinical modelsRoberta Vitali
Section of Toxicology and Biomedical Sciences, ENEA Research Center Casaccia, Rome, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 14:4622-30. 2008We assessed the relevance of Slug (SNAI2) for apoptosis resistance and invasion potential of neuroblastoma cells in vitro and in vivo.
- Snail and Slug promote epithelial-mesenchymal transition through beta-catenin-T-cell factor-4-dependent expression of transforming growth factor-beta3Damian Medici
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Biol Cell 19:4875-87. 2008..Here, we show that Snail and Slug promote formation of beta-catenin-T-cell factor (TCF)-4 transcription complexes that bind to the promoter of the ..
- Tumor-induced upregulation of Twist, Snail, and Slug represses the activity of the human VE-cadherin promoterDayami Lopez
Don and Erika Wallace Comprehensive Breast Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612 9416, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 482:77-82. 2009..microvascular EC exposed to CM showed a downregulation in VE-cadherin promoter activity and upregulation of Twist, Slug, and Snail expression...
- Slug is a downstream mediator of transforming growth factor-beta1-induced matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression and invasion of oral cancer cellsMathew J Joseph
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Cell Biochem 108:726-36. 2009..is the best characterized and the most extensively studied member of this family, the role and regulation of Slug (Snai2) in oral cancer progression is less well understood...
- Expression analysis of E-cadherin, Slug and GSK3beta in invasive ductal carcinoma of breastChandra P Prasad
Department of Anatomy, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
BMC Cancer 9:325. 2009..Recent findings from our laboratory confirm that active Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is critically involved in invasive ductal carcinomas (IDCs) of breast...
- Comprehensive analysis of the independent effect of twist and snail in promoting metastasis of hepatocellular carcinomaMuh Hwa Yang
Institutes of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatology 50:1464-74. 2009..2% and 51.5% of primary HCC samples, respectively. Overexpression of Snail, Twist, or Slug, the major regulators of EMT, was identified in 56.9%, 43.1%, and 51.4% of primary HCCs, respectively...
- ERalpha signaling through slug regulates E-cadherin and EMTY Ye
Department of Pathology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV 89557 0350, USA
Oncogene 29:1451-62. 2010..When ERalpha was overexpressed in the ERalpha-negative lines, 17beta-estradiol (E2) decreased slug and increased E-cadherin...
- Slug inhibits proliferation of human prostate cancer cells via downregulation of cyclin D1 expressionJun Liu
Department of Urology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Prostate 70:1768-77. 2010b>Slug is a transcription factor of the Snail/Slug zinc-finger family and is implicated in metastasis of tumors, but its role in cell proliferation of prostate cancers is unclear.
- SNAI2/Slug promotes growth and invasion in human gliomasHong Wei Yang
Department of Neurosurgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
BMC Cancer 10:301. 2010..Numerous factors that contribute to malignant glioma invasion have been identified, but the upstream genes coordinating this process are poorly known...
- The E-cadherin repressor slug and progression of human extrahepatic hilar cholangiocarcinomaKe Jun Zhang
General Surgery, the Affiliated Hospital of Medical College, Qingdao University, Qing Dao, Shandong Province, 266003, China
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 29:88. 2010This study explored the expression and function of Slug in human extrahepatic hilar cholangiocarcinoma (EHC) to identify its role in tumor progression.
- Expression of Slug is regulated by c-Myb and is required for invasion and bone marrow homing of cancer cells of different originBarbara Tanno
Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development ENEA, Research Center Casaccia, Laboratory of Radiation Biology and Biomedicine, 00123 Rome, Italy
J Biol Chem 285:29434-45. 2010..Slug (SNAI2, Snail2) is involved in epithelial mesenchymal transition in physiological and in pathological contexts...
- Slug regulates proliferation and invasiveness of esophageal adenocarcinoma cells in vitro and in vivoKejun Zhang
General Surgery, the Affiliated Hospital of Medical College, Qingdao University, Qingdao, Shandong, 266003, People s Republic of China
Med Oncol 28:1089-100. 2011b>Slug is a transcription factor and E-cadherin repressor, which has recently been demonstrated to be important for cancer cells to down-regulate epithelial markers and up-regulate mesenchymal markers in order to become motile and invasive...
- Expression and importance of zinc-finger transcription factor Slug in adenoid cystic carcinoma of salivary glandYaling Tang
State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, Sichuan University, No 14 Sec 3 Renminnan Road, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
J Oral Pathol Med 39:775-80. 2010It has been reported that zinc-finger transcription factor Slug plays a critical role in tumor proliferation and differentiation, relapse, invasion, metastasis, and decreased survival...
- Expression of transcription factors snail, slug, and twist in human bladder carcinomaQinchao Yu
Department of Urology Surgery, the Affiliated Hospital of Medical College, Qingdao University, Qingdao, Shan Dong Province, 266403, China
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 29:119. 2010b>Slug, snail, and twist are transcription factors that regulate the expression of tumor suppressors such as E-cadherin. In this study, we aimed to examine the expression of these transcription factors in human bladder carcinoma.
- SLUG-induced elevation of D1 cyclin in breast cancer cells through the inhibition of its ubiquitinationMukul K Mittal
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee 37208, USA and
J Biol Chem 286:469-79. 2011..We report here that the metastasis regulator protein SLUG inhibits the expression of UbcH5c directly through chromatin remodeling and thus, among other downstream effects, ..
- Snail2 is an essential mediator of Twist1-induced epithelial mesenchymal transition and metastasisEsmeralda Casas
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0636, USA
Cancer Res 71:245-54. 2011..A group of transcription factors, including Twist1, Snail1, Snail2, ZEB1, and ZEB2, have been shown to induce epithelial mesenchymal transition (EMT), thus promoting tumor ..
- Expression of Snail2 in long bone osteosarcomas correlates with tumour malignancyAmir Shaya Sharili
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, The Royal Veterinary College, Royal College Street, Camden, London NW1 0TU, UK
Tumour Biol 32:515-26. 2011b>Snail2 is a marker of malignancy in epithelial tumours; however, in sarcomas, it is not known if this protein is present...
- Slug expression enhances tumor formation in a noninvasive rectal cancer modelE Ramsay Camp
Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Surg Res 170:56-63. 2011..Transcriptional regulators such as Slug mediate EMT, working in part to repress E-cadherin transcription...
- Transcriptional activation of ZEB1 by Slug leads to cooperative regulation of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition-like phenotype in melanomaChristian Wels
Cancer Biology Unit, Department of Dermatology, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
J Invest Dermatol 131:1877-85. 2011The E-box-binding zinc finger transcription factors Slug and ZEB1 are important repressors of E-cadherin, contributing to epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in primary epithelial cancers...
- Slug down-regulation by RNA interference inhibits invasion growth in human esophageal squamous cell carcinomaPeng Tang
Department of Surgery, Qingdao University, Qingdao, Shan Dong Province, People s Republic of China
BMC Gastroenterol 11:60. 2011..We assessed the relevance of Slug in measuring the invasive potential of ESCC cells in vitro and in vivo in immunodeficient mice.
- Expression of Snail and Slug in renal cell carcinoma: E-cadherin repressor Snail is associated with cancer invasion and prognosisShuji Mikami
Division of Diagnostic Pathology, Keio University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Lab Invest 91:1443-58. 2011..The present study was undertaken to investigate the expression of Snail, Slug and their associations with cancer invasion and prognosis in renal cell carcinomas (RCCs)...
- The transcription factors Snail and Slug activate the transforming growth factor-beta signaling pathway in breast cancerArchana Dhasarathy
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e26514. 2011The transcriptional repressors Snail and Slug are situated at the core of several signaling pathways proposed to mediate epithelial to mesenchymal transition or EMT, which has been implicated in tumor metastasis...
- SLUG promotes prostate cancer cell migration and invasion via CXCR4/CXCL12 axisBerna Uygur
Center for Molecular Medicine, MMC Research Institute, Maine Medical Center, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
Mol Cancer 10:139. 2011b>SLUG is a zinc-finger transcription factor of the Snail/Slug zinc-finger family that plays a role in migration and invasion of tumor cells. Mechanisms by which SLUG promotes migration and invasion in prostate cancers remain elusive.
- Human cancer cells express Slug-based epithelial-mesenchymal transition gene expression signature obtained in vivoDimitris Anastassiou
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
BMC Cancer 11:529. 2011..The biological mechanisms underlying cancer cell motility and invasiveness remain unclear, although it has been hypothesized that they involve some type of epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT)...
- Interplay between β1-integrin and Rho signaling regulates differential scattering and motility of pancreatic cancer cells by snail and Slug proteinsMario A Shields
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 287:6218-29. 2012..In this study, we examine the role of Slug (Snai2) in regulating pancreatic cancer cell scattering in three-dimensional type I collagen...
- Slug and Sox9 cooperatively determine the mammary stem cell stateWenjun Guo
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 148:1015-28. 2012..We have identified two TFs, Slug and Sox9, that act cooperatively to determine the mammary stem cell (MaSC) state...
- High motility of triple-negative breast cancer cells is due to repression of plakoglobin gene by metastasis modulator protein SLUGCharvann K Bailey
Department of Biochemistry and Cancer Biology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee 37208, USA
J Biol Chem 287:19472-86. 2012..cells are highly motile and metastatic and are characterized by high levels of the metastasis regulator protein SLUG. Using isogenic breast cancer cell systems we have shown here that high motility of these cells is directly ..
- Slug expression during melanoma progressionStephanie H Shirley
Department of Molecular Carcinogenesis, Science Park, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Am J Pathol 180:2479-89. 2012b>Slug (Snai2), a member of the Snail family of zinc finger transcription factors, plays a role in the epithelial-to-mesenchymal transformation (EMT) that occurs during melanocyte emigration from the neural crest...
- Krüppel-like factor 4, a tumor suppressor in hepatocellular carcinoma cells reverts epithelial mesenchymal transition by suppressing slug expressionZe Shiang Lin
National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Miaoli, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 7:e43593. 2012..Associated with this, we found that expression of Slug, a critical epithelial mesenchymal transition (EMT)-related transcription factor, was significantly down-regulated ..
- Correlation between Slug transcription factor and miR-221 in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cellsElisabetta Lambertini
Department of Biomedical and Specialty Surgical Sciences, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, 44121, Italy
BMC Cancer 12:445. 2012..Breast cancer and its metastatic progression is mainly directed by epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT), a phenomenon supported by specific transcription factors and miRNAs...
- SLUG, a ces-1-related zinc finger transcription factor gene with antiapoptotic activity, is a downstream target of the E2A-HLF oncoproteinT Inukai
Department of Experimental Oncology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell 4:343-52. 1999..In a search for E2A-HLF-responsive genes, we identified a zinc finger transcription factor, SLUG, whose product belongs to the Snail family of developmental regulatory proteins...
- SLUG (SNAI2) deletions in patients with Waardenburg diseaseManuel Sanchez-Martin
Instituto de Biología Molecular y Celular del Cáncer IBMCC, Centro de Investigacion del Cancer, CSIC Universidad de Salamanca, Campus Unamuno, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Hum Mol Genet 11:3231-6. 2002..The identification of Slugh, a zinc-finger transcription factor expressed in migratory neural crest cells, as the gene responsible for ..
- Aberrant expression of the transcription factors snail and slug alters the response to genotoxic stressMasahiro Kajita
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Winship Cancer Institute, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:7559-66. 2004Snail and Slug are closely related transcriptional repressors involved in embryonic patterning during metazoan development...
- Requirement of the Akt/beta-catenin pathway for uterine carcinosarcoma genesis, modulating E-cadherin expression through the transactivation of slugMakoto Saegusa
Department of Pathology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Am J Pathol 174:2107-15. 2009..Expression levels of the transcription factor Slug were also significantly up-regulated in the mesenchymal components and strongly correlated with both pAkt and ..
- p53 controls cancer cell invasion by inducing the MDM2-mediated degradation of SlugShu Ping Wang
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei 11490, Taiwan
Nat Cell Biol 11:694-704. 2009..b>Slug, an invasion promoter, exerts its effects by repressing E-cadherin transcription...
- Slug gene expression supports human osteoblast maturationElisabetta Lambertini
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Molecular Biology Section, University of Ferrara, Via Fossato di Mortara, 74, 44100, Ferrara, Italy
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:3641-53. 2009This study aims to define the function of Slug transcription factor in human normal osteoblasts (hOBs). To date, Slug is considered exclusively a marker of malignancy in bone tissue...
- SLUG: a new target of lymphoid enhancer factor-1 in human osteoblastsElisabetta Lambertini
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Molecular Biology Section, University of Ferrara, Via Fossato di Mortara, 74, 44100 Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
BMC Mol Biol 11:13. 2010..In a search for Lef-1 responsive genes in human osteoblasts, we focused on the transcriptional regulation of the SLUG, a zinc finger transcription factor belonging to the Snail family of developmental proteins...
- Slug suppression induces apoptosis via Puma transactivation in rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes treated with hydrogen peroxideHoon Suk Cha
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul 135 710, Korea
Exp Mol Med 42:428-36. 2010..b>Slug, a highly conserved zinc finger transcriptional repressor, is known to antagonize apoptosis of hematopoietic ..
- Slug inhibition upregulates radiation-induced PUMA activity leading to apoptosis in cholangiocarcinomasKejun Zhang
Department of General Surgery, the Affiliated Hospital of Medical College, Qingdao University, 266003 Qingdao, Shan Dong Province, People s Republic of China
Med Oncol 28:S301-9. 2011Resistance of cholangiocarcinoma to irradiation therapy is a major problem in cancer treatment. Slug, a snail family transcription factor, is a suppressor of PUMA (p53 upregulated modulator of apoptosis), which has been shown to be ..
- Slug contributes to the regulation of CXCL12 expression in human osteoblastsRoberta Piva
Dipartimento di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare, Universita degli Studi di Ferrara, Via Fossato di Mortara, Ferrara, Italy
Exp Cell Res 317:1159-68. 2011..of a correct expression of CXCL12 in bone cellular context, we analyzed the relationship between CXCL12 and Slug, a transcription factor recently associated with osteoblast maturation...
- Role of Slug transcription factor in human mesenchymal stem cellsElena Torreggiani
Dipartimento di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare, Sezione di Biologia Molecolare, Universita degli Studi di Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Cell Mol Med 16:740-51. 2012..their mineral matrix deposition, and in the expression levels of TFs including Runx2, Sox9, Sox5, Sox6, STAT1 and Slug, all involved in the control of osteochondroprogenitors differentiation program...
- Egr-1 mediates epidermal growth factor-induced downregulation of E-cadherin expression via Slug in human ovarian cancer cellsJ C Cheng
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Oncogene 32:1041-9. 2013..Interestingly, siRNA depletion of Egr-1 attenuated the EGF-induced expression of Slug, but not that of Snail...
- Human SLUG gene organization, expression, and chromosome map location on 8qM E Cohen
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, Maryland, 21287 3914, USA
Genomics 51:468-71. 1998b>SLUG is a member of the snail family of zinc finger proteins. It is involved in epithelial to mesenchyme cell transition during neurulation and plays a role in limb bud development...
- Modulation of aromatase expression in human breast tissueS Chen
Division of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 79:35-40. 2001..3 and II is suppressed through the binding of EAR-2, COUP-TFI, and EARgamma to S1, and through the binding of Snail/Slug proteins to their binding site that quenchs the CREaro activity...
- Regulation of Msx genes by a Bmp gradient is essential for neural crest specificationCeleste Tribulo
Millennium Nucleus in Developmental Biology, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
Development 130:6441-52. 2003..We show that msx1 expression is able to induce all other early neural crest markers tested (snail, slug, foxd3) at the time of neural crest specification...
- Displacement and sweep efficiencies in a DNAPL recovery test using micellar and polymer solutions injected in a five-spot patternRichard Martel
INRS Eau, Terre et Environnement, Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite du Quebec, 880 Chemin Sainte Foy, C P 7500, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada G1V 4C7
J Contam Hydrol 75:1-29. 2004..8 pore volumes of actual washing solution injected), slug sizing of the washing solution is critical. It was evaluated by an analytical solution...
- The role of genetic and chemical variation of Pinus sylvestris seedlings in influencing slug herbivoryJulianne M O'Reilly-Wapstra
School of Plant Science and CRC for Forestry, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 55, Hobart, TAS 7001, Australia
Oecologia 152:82-91. 2007..Individual slug variation (replicates) was the most significant factor in the model; however, alpha-pinene concentration (also ..
- A Ras GAP is essential for cytokinesis and spatial patterning in DictyosteliumS Lee
Department of Biology, Center for Molecular Genetics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0634, USA
Development 124:983-96. 1997..Multicellular development is normal through the mid-slug stage, after which morphological differentiation is very abnormal and no culminant is formed: no stalk cells and ..
- Seed consumption and dispersal of ant-dispersed plants by slugsManfred Türke
Institute of Ecology, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Oecologia 163:681-93. 2010..Ants, however, can be rare in such moist forests. Motivated by observations of slug feeding on seeds we investigated the seed consumption of two plant species, Anemone nemorosa and Asarum europaeum, ..
- Epithelial cell plasticity in development and tumor progressionJ P Thiery
UMR 144 CNRS, Laboratoire de Morphogenèse Cellulaire et Progression Tumorale, Institut Curie, Paris, France
Cancer Metastasis Rev 18:31-42. 1999..remodeling whereas the Ras pathway controls the transcription of genes such as the transcription factor Slug which is involved in the internalization of desmosomes...
- Synergy between two transcription factors directs gene expression in Dictyostelium tip-organiser cellsHong Yu Wang
College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee, U K
Int J Dev Biol 54:1301-7. 2010cotC requires the transcription factor CudA for its expression in the posterior, prespore cells of the slug, while the expL7 gene requires CudA for its expression in the anterior, tip-organiser region...
- Induction of the prospective neural crest of XenopusR Mayor
Laboratory of Developmental Biology, National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, UK
Development 121:767-77. 1995..A related zinc-finger gene called Slug (Xslu) is expressed specifically in this tissue (i.e...
- Effect of osmotic desiccation on longevity and temperature tolerance of Phasmarhabditis hermaphrodita (Nematoda: Rhabditidae)Sukhbir K Grewal
Department of Entomology, Ohio Agriculture Research and Development Center, Ohio State University, Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA
J Parasitol 89:434-8. 2003Limited storage stability severely restricts the biological control potential of slug-parasitic nematodes...
- Programmed cell death and the morphogenesis of the hindbrain roof plate in the chick embryoA Lawson
Department of Anatomy, University of Ghana Medical School, P O Box 4236, Accra, Ghana, West Africa
Anat Embryol (Berl) 200:509-19. 1999..The pattern of TUNEL labeling and Slug expression in the dorsal midline at stages 10 and 11 differed from that at stages 12-15...
- Ingestion and excretion of two transgenic Bt corn varieties by slugsCorinne Zurbrügg
Zoological Institute, University of Bern, Baltzerstrasse 6, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Transgenic Res 18:215-25. 2009..potentially be transferred to such organisms by measuring the Cry protein content in the two common agricultural slug pests Arion lusitanicus and Deroceras reticulatum and their feces...
- Pathochemical toxicity of perfluorocarbon-5070, a liquid test performance fluid previously used in dialyzer manufacturing, confirmed in animal experimentBernard Canaud
Department of Nephrology, Lapeyronie University Hospital, 371 Avenue du Doyen G Giraud, Montpellier, France LR 34295
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:1819-23. 2005..In a rabbit model, single slug intravenous injections as bolus of increasing doses of PF-5070 were performed...
- Involvement of a Go-type G-protein coupled to guanylate cyclase in the phototransduction cGMP cascade of molluscan simple photoreceptorsTsukasa Gotow
Department of Neurology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Brain Res 1144:42-51. 2007Simple photoreceptors, namely photoresponsive neurons, designated as A-P-1, Es-1, Ip-2 and Ip-1, exist in the sea slug Onchidium ganglion...
- Evidence that the Dictyostelium Dd-STATa protein is a repressor that regulates commitment to stalk cell differentiation and is also required for efficient chemotaxisS Mohanty
Department of Biology, Center for Molecular Genetics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0634, USA
Development 126:3391-405. 1999..In Dd-STATa null strains, slug-like structures are formed but they have an aberrant pattern of gene expression...
- Neural crest induction by paraxial mesoderm in Xenopus embryos requires FGF signalsAnne Hélène Monsoro-Burq
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California at Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Development 130:3111-24. 2003..Using a recombination assay, we show that prospective paraxial mesoderm induces a panel of neural crest markers (Slug, FoxD3, Zic5 and Sox9), whereas the future axial mesoderm only induces a subset of these genes...
- Positive and negative transcriptional regulation of aromatase expression in human breast cancer tissueShiuan Chen
Department of Surgical Research, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91006, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 95:17-23. 2005..3 and II is suppressed through the binding of EAR-2, COUP-TFI, and RARgamma to S1, and through the binding of Snail/Slug proteins to their binding site that quenches the CREaro activity...
- Slug is overexpressed in gastric carcinomas and may act synergistically with SIP1 and Snail in the down-regulation of E-cadherinC Castro Alves
Institut fur Pathologie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Trogerstrasse 18, D 81765 Munich, Germany
J Pathol 211:507-15. 2007..The aim of our study was to investigate the mRNA expression of two EMT regulators-Slug and E12/E47-in primary human gastric carcinomas and to compare this with the expression of E-cadherin and other EMT ..
- Sox10 is required for the early development of the prospective neural crest in Xenopus embryosStella M Honoré
Millennium Nucleus in Developmental Biology, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
Dev Biol 260:79-96. 2003..during some of the earliest steps of neural crest specification, as is shown by the inhibition in the expression of Slug and FoxD3, which are early markers of neural crest specification...
- Complete DNA sequence of the mitochondrial genome of the sea-slug, Aplysia californica: conservation of the gene order in EuthyneuraBjarne Knudsen
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, 223 Bartram Hall, Gainesville, 32611, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 38:459-69. 2006We have sequenced and characterized the complete mitochondrial genome of the sea slug, Aplysia californica, an important model organism in experimental biology and a representative of Anaspidea (Opisthobranchia, Gastropoda)...
- Functional chloroplasts in metazoan cells - a unique evolutionary strategy in animal lifeKatharina Händeler
Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig, Adenauerallee 160, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Front Zool 6:28. 2009Among metazoans, retention of functional diet-derived chloroplasts (kleptoplasty) is known only from the sea slug taxon Sacoglossa (Gastropoda: Opisthobranchia)...
- Trophoblast stem cell maintenance by fibroblast growth factor 4 requires MEKK4 activation of Jun N-terminal kinaseAmy N Abell
Department of Pharmacology and Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7365, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:2748-61. 2009..self-renewing conditions in the presence of fibroblast growth factor 4 (FGF4) display increased expression of Slug, Twist, and matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP2), loss of E-cadherin, and hyperinvasion of extracellular matrix, each ..
- Function of identified nerves in orientation to water flow in Tritonia diomedeaJ A Murray
Friday Harbor Laboratories, WA 98250, USA
J Comp Physiol A 178:201-9. 1996We determined which sensory and motor nerves mediate orientation to flow in the marine slug Tritonia diomedea, and tested the hypothesis that the slug orients to water flow by comparing the intensities of water flow stimulation on each ..
- Multiple functions of Snail family genes during palate development in miceStephen A Murray
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Development 134:1789-97. 2007..Here we report the functions of Snail (Snai1) and Slug (Snai2) genes during palate development in mice...
- In vivo quantification of kleptoplastic chlorophyll a content in the "solar-powered" sea slug Elysia viridis using optical methods: spectral reflectance analysis and PAM fluorometryJoão Serôdio
Departamento de Biologia and CESAM Centro de Estudos do Ambiente e do Mar, Universidade de Aveiro, Campus de Santiago, 3810 193, Aveiro, Portugal
Photochem Photobiol Sci 9:68-77. 2010..The results of this study suggest that, if basic requirements of signal detection and reproducible measuring geometry are verified, these optical methods may be readily applied to other photosynthetic symbioses...
- Molecular characterization of the Calvin cycle enzyme phosphoribulokinase in the stramenopile alga Vaucheria litorea and the plastid hosting mollusc Elysia chloroticaMary E Rumpho
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, 5735 Hitchner Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Mol Plant 2:1384-96. 2009..This alga is the source of plastids for the mollusc (sea slug) Elysia chlorotica which enable the animal to survive for months solely by photoautotrophic CO2 fixation...
- Do earthworms help to sustain the slug predator Pterostichus melanarius (Coleoptera: carabidae) within crops? Investigations using monoclonal antibodiesW O Symondson
School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, PO Box 915, Cardiff CF10 3TL, UK
Mol Ecol 9:1279-92. 2000..melanarius, helping to sustain it when pest numbers are low but allowing it to perform a 'lying-in-wait' strategy, ready to switch back to feeding on pests when they become available...
- Repetitive DNAs in the slug Milax nigricans: association of ribosomal (18S-28S and 5S rDNA) and (TTAGGG)n telomeric sequences in the slug M. nigricans (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Pulmonata)R Vitturi
Dipartimento di Biologia Animale, Universita di Palermo, Via Archirafi 18, 90123 Palermo, Italy
Micron 35:255-60. 2004Spermatocyte chromosomes of the slug Milax nigricans (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Pulmonata) were studied using silver staining (Ag-NOR) and fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) with four repetitive DNA probes [18S rDNA, 5S rDNA, (TTAGGG)n ..
- Evidence that the Dictyostelium STAT protein Dd-STATa plays a role in the differentiation of inner basal disc cells and identification of a promoter element essential for expression in these cellsNao Shimada
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Toho University, Funabashi, Chiba 274 8510, Japan
Differentiation 73:50-60. 2005..homolog of the metazoan STAT (signal transducers and activators of transcription) proteins, is necessary in the slug for correct entry into culmination...
- Paxillin is required for cell-substrate adhesion, cell sorting and slug migration during Dictyostelium developmentTanya Bukharova
Wellcome Trust Biocentre, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
J Cell Sci 118:4295-310. 2005..PaxB is expressed during growth and all stages of development, but expression peaks during slug formation. Using a paxB-gfp knockin strain we show the existence of focal adhesions and characterise their dynamics...
- Modeling and testing of reactive contaminant transport in drinking water pipes: chlorine response and implications for online contaminant detectionY Jeffrey Yang
Water Supply and Water Resources Division, US EPA National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Cincinnati, OH 45268, USA
Water Res 42:1397-412. 2008..CDR) model is numerically simulated to explain the observed chlorine residual loss for a "slug" of reactive contaminants instantaneously introduced into a drinking water pipe of assumed no or negligible wall ..
- Angiostoma margaretae n. sp (Nematoda: Angiostomatidae), a parasite of the milacid slug Milax gagates Draparnaud collected near Caledon, South AfricaJenna L Ross
Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Aberdeen, UK
Syst Parasitol 79:71-6. 2011Angiostoma margaretae n. sp. (Angiostomatidae) is described from the oesophagus of the slug Milax gagates Draparnaud collected near Caledon in the Western Cape Province of South Africa...
- Comparative neurobiology of feeding in the opisthobranch sea slug, Aplysia, and the pulmonate snail, Helisoma: evolutionary considerationsMargaret M Wentzell
Department of Biological Sciences and Laboratory of Integrated Neuroscience, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Ill 60607, USA
Brain Behav Evol 74:219-30. 2009..that ingests food by rasping or scraping material from the substrate, and Aplysia californica, an opisthobranch sea slug that feeds by using a grasping or seizing motion...
- Water-flow sensitive pedal neurons in Tritonia: role in rheotaxisJ A Murray
Department of Zoology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
J Comp Physiol A 171:373-85. 1992We have identified 13 pairs of neurons in the pedal ganglia of the marine nudibranch slug Tritonia diomedea that responded tonically and/or phasically to water-flow directed at the rhinophore sheaths and oral veil tips...
- Altruism and social cheating in the social amoeba Dictyostelium discoideumJ E Strassmann
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77251 1892, USA
Nature 408:965-7. 2000..When starved, 10(4)-10(5) of these cells aggregate into a slug. The anterior 20% of the slug altruistically differentiates into a non-viable stalk, supporting the remaining cells,..
- Synthesis and analysis of combinatorial libraries performed in an automated micro reactor systemEduardo Garcia-Egido
GSK Cambridge Technology Centre, University Chemical Laboratories, Lensfield Road, Cambridge, UKCB2 1EW
Lab Chip 3:73-6. 2003..The mobility of the reagents and products was achieved using hydrodynamic driven flow. Reaction slug dilution and UV slug detection took place at the outlet...
- SLUG in cancer developmentPedro Antonio Pérez-Mancera
Laboratorio 13, Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular del Cancer, CSIC Universidad de Salamanca, Campus Unamuno, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Oncogene 24:3073-82. 2005The SNAIL-related zinc-finger transcription factor, SLUG (SNAI2), is critical for the normal development of neural crest-derived cells and loss-of-function SLUG mutations have been proven to contribute to piebaldism and Waardenburg ..
- Transgenic Arabidopsis leaf tissue expressing a modified oryzacystatin shows resistance to the field slug Deroceras reticulatum (Müller)A J Walker
IACR Long Ashton Research Station, Department of Agricultural Sciences, University of Bristol, UK
Transgenic Res 8:95-103. 1999..mutant OC-I delta 86, which is an inhibitor of the major proteinase present in the digestive gland of the slug, Deroceras reticulatum...
- Molecular regulation of breast cancer growthMarsha A Moses; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have also determined that the expression level of the transcription factor Slug, known to induce EMT, is increased in NGAL-expressing cells...
- NFkB Targets and Neural Crest DevelopmentMICHAEL WILLIAM KLYMKOWSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..bHLH transcription factor, while snai/1 and snai/2 encode the related zinc-finger transcription factors Snail1 and Snail2;these three transcription factors are also implicated tumor metastasis...
- EMT, Extravasation and metastasis by N-Cadherin signalingRachel B Hazan; Fiscal Year: 2013..and matrix metalloprotease-9 expression as well as upregulation of the EMT inducing transcription factor, Slug. We hypothesize that EMT, extravasation and metastasis are primarily caused by the non-adhesive FGFR1 stimulating ..
- Creation of adult epithelial stem cells from differentiated epithelialRobert A Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..epithelium: emerging evidence suggests an essential role for the EMT-inducing Transcription Factors (TF) Snail and Slug in skin morphogenesis...
- Cellular Repair of Kidney InjuryLloyd G Cantley; Fiscal Year: 2010..stimuli that lead to the up-regulation of the helix-loop-helix (HLH) transcription factors Twist, Snail and Slug in the injured epithelial cell, with subsequent expression of the downstream factor Foxc2 which in turn activates ..
- Keratinocyte Activation by Slug-induced CalprotectinDonna F Kusewitt; Fiscal Year: 2013..Like calprotectin, the Slug zinc finger transcription factor also is damage-inducible and promotes keratinocyte activation...
- Role of Slug in Regulation of Hematopietic Stem CellsWen Shu Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Work from this laboratory has shown that in response to DNA damage, the transcription factor Slug is induced by (-irradiation through p53 and protects committed hematopoietic progenitors from apoptosis triggered ..
- Wen Shu Wu; Fiscal Year: 2015..Preliminary work from the PI's laboratory suggests that Slug, a zinc-finger transcription factor known to affect cell survival and the epithelial-mesenchymal transition in a ..
- Jianfei Qi; Fiscal Year: 2015..In Aim 1, we will test the hypothesis that Jmjd1a is recruited by HIF and AR to promoters of Slug and ZEB2, where it triggers H3K9 demethylation and facilitates HIF-mediated transcription of Slug and ZEB2 that in ..
- Role of JMJD1A in hypoxia-induced EMT and prostate cancer stem cellsJianfei Qi; Fiscal Year: 2012..In Aim 1, we will test the hypothesis that Jmjd1a is recruited by HIF and AR to promoters of Slug and ZEB2, where it triggers H3K9 demethylation and facilitates HIF-mediated transcription of Slug and ZEB2 that in ..
- The role of Slug in cutaneous reepithelializationLaurie G Hudson; Fiscal Year: 2010..on specific aspects wound healing, and we have obtained evidence that the developmental transcription factor Slug/Snail2 is a key regulator of epithelial outgrowth in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo...
- The role of Pdcd4 in colorectal tumor progressionHsin Sheng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..further demonstrated that a decrease in E-cadherin expression correlates with an increase in the protein level of Slug, a transcription repressor for E-cadherin expression...
- Matthew E Burow; Fiscal Year: 2014..that MEK5-signaling functions through downstream transcription factors to mediate expression of EMT regulators (SLUG, ZEB1, ZEB2) and AKT3...
- TGFbeta3 SIGNALING IN DEVELOPMENT OF PALATEAli Nawshad; Fiscal Year: 2012..induces both Smad dependent and Smad independent pathways to activate many transcription factors such as Snail, Slug, SIP1 and LEF1...
- Secreted Wnt Inhibitors in the Biology of OsteosarcomaBang H Hoang; Fiscal Year: 2010..that secreted Wnt inhibitors modulate the following pro-invasive pathways in OS: (1) Transcriptional repressors Slug and Twist, (2) MMP-2 and 9, and (3) the hepatocyte growth factor receptor Met...
- DEVELOPMENTAL GENE PROGRAMWilliam Loomis; Fiscal Year: 1999..of classes based on the stage at which development is blocked such as aggregation, mound formation, tip formation, slug migration, and early culmination of fruiting bodies...
- Seema Khurana; Fiscal Year: 2016..Furthermore, we report that nuclear villin activates the expression of the transcriptional factor Slug to modulate epithelial plasticity and EMT...
- Susan M Smith; Fiscal Year: 2016..We will test the hypothesis that beta- catenin maintains NC cell adhesion and expression ofthe survival factor snail2 (formerly slug)...
- Genetic Analysis of Snail Superfamily Genes in MiceTHOMAS HOOKER GRIDLEY; Fiscal Year: 2012..The studies described in this proposal will further our understanding of the roles played by Snail superfamily genes during mammalian development, and will be relevant to the study of both normal and abnormal human development. ..
- Functional Roles of Wnt and Snail2 Target Genes in Neural Crest DevelopmentLisa A Taneyhill; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, investigation into the role of known Wnt target genes, such as Snail2 (Slug) allows me to elucidate how Snail2 regulates expression of its molecular targets in the context of neural ..
- Antagonism of the Ah Receptor in Controlling Breast Cancer Growth and InvasionJennifer J Schlezinger; Fiscal Year: 2010..3) Constitutively active AhR regulates the expression of multiple genes, including CYP1B1, CK21, and Slug, a master regulator of tumor invasion...
- Wen Shu Wu; Fiscal Year: 2015..In the proposed project, we aim to define the role of Slug, an evolutionarily conserved zinc-finger transcriptional repressor, in the regulation of HSC self-renewal...
- James V DeGregori; Fiscal Year: 2015..Follow up studies have shown that inhibition of these SLuG pathways potently synergizes with gefitinib to eliminate NSCLC cells...
- Paul A Bunn; Fiscal Year: 2016..Project 1 investigators also evaluate control of the epithelial to mesenchymal transition by the Slug/Snail/Zeb family of transcriptional repressers and ways to reverse the transition in order to reduce metastases and ..
- COBRE in Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative MedicineDon Wojchowski; Fiscal Year: 2012..formation from hES cells;DMA break repair in stem cells and affected microenvironments during lymphomagenesis;Slug as a key regulator of hematopoietic stem cell survival;and Jagged 1 maintenance of neural stem cell expansion and ..
- Functional Roles of Wnt and Snail2 Target Genes in Neural Crest DevelopmentLisa Taneyhill; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, investigation into the role of known Wnt target genes, such as Snail2 (Slug) allows her to elucidate how Snail2 regulates expression of its molecular targets in the context of neural ..
- Sharmila Shankar; Fiscal Year: 2016..of pluripotency maintaining factors (Nanog, Oct-4 and Sox-2), epithelial mesenchymal (EMT) markers (Zeb-1, Snail, Slug), Bcl-2 and XIAP in pancreatic CSCs;(iii) SFN inhibits the expression of Smo, Ptch as well as effector molecule Gli ..
- PROGRESSION OF T CELL LYMPHOMA LINES TO IL2 INDEPENDENCEPhilip Tsichlis; Fiscal Year: 2001..of the insulinoma-associated protein, IA-1, the homeobox protein Gsh-1 and the vertebrate members of the Snail-Slug protein family...
- GROWTH FACTOR MODULATION OF REEPITHELIALIZATIONLAURIE HUDSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also identify the functional contributions of a growth-factor induced transcription factor (Slug) known to modulate desmosomal integrity in adult epithelium...
- Slug Mediates the Acute Cutaneous Response to UVRDonna Kusewitt; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Slug transcription factor modulates the complete or partial conversion of sessile epithelial cells into migrating fibroblast-like cells during embryonic development, wound healing, and ..
- Radioprotective Role of Slug in Bone Marrow CellsWen Shu Wu; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Slug is a member of the Slug/Snail superfamily of evolutionarily conserved zinc finger transcriptional repressors...
- Laboratory Training and Research in Breast CancerMUTHUKUMARAN GUNASEKARAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..The specific objectives of the proposed research are: (1) to identify and characterize SLUG-regulated gene promoters by screening a promoter microarray employing the Chromatin Immuno-Precipitation-Guided ..
- PULMONARY MASS AND HEAT TRANSPORTJames Grotberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..technique underlying this investigation will be the introduction of a localized surfactant bolus (microdroplet or slug) onto the air-liquid interface in animal and hardware models, while video-microscopy and laser interferometric ..
- CELLULAR & COMPUTATIONAL ANALYSIS OF ODOR LEARNINGAlan Gelperin; Fiscal Year: 2005..cellular and biophysical model for how the major central site of odor information processing in the terrestrial slug Limax maximus forms odor memories as spatially segregated bands of neurons...
- COMMITMENT & DIFFERENTIATION OF CARDIAC CELL PHENOTYPESRAYMOND RUNYAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Project 1 will explore the transcription factors Slug and Mox-1 as mediators of cell transformation at three levels...
- Synaptic Mechanisms in Drosophila NeurodegenerationKendal Broadie; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the last funding cycle, we identified the Drosophila slug-a-bed (slab) gene, which encodes the ceramidase enzyme at the heart of sphingolipid metabolism...
- CYCLIC AMP AND CELL DIFFERENTIATION IN DICTYOSTELIUMIRA FEIT; Fiscal Year: 1980..Our methodology involves suppressing cell differentiation by submerging the slug stage and implanting Sephadex particles soaked in the agents tested...
- Molecular basis of E-cadherin transcriptional regulationRobert Sims; Fiscal Year: 2006..The DNA-binding proteins Snail and Slug mediate E-cadherin transcriptional repression, and regulate aspects of carcinogenesis and cell survivability...
- GENETIC BASIS OF SPATIAL PATTERNINGEdward Cox; Fiscal Year: 1990..During morphogenesis in P. pallidum, spherical masses of cells called whorls pinch off from the base of the slug at regular intervals as the fruiting body culminates...
- Transcriptional repressors of E-cadherin in metastasisKevin Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2007..TGF-beta1 induced transcriptional repressors (TITR) of E-cadherin have been implicated in EMT, including Snail, Slug, ZEB-1 and ZEB-2...
- MOLECULAR NETWORKS THAT COORDINATE DIFFERENTIATIONWilliam Loomis; Fiscal Year: 2003..Together these studies will help to establish a signal transduction pathway that can serve as a model for studies in other systems. ..
- Intercellular signaling during terminal differentiationWilliam Loomis; Fiscal Year: 2009..Together these studies will add to the foundation for improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological diseases. ..
- Functional Genomics of Dictyostelium DevelopmentWilliam Loomis; Fiscal Year: 2005..Predictions derived from such networks will be tested when microarray analyses are extended to include further developmental mutants. ..
- REGULATION OF DEVELOPMENT BY PHOSPHORELAY SIGNALINGCHARLES SINGLETON; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally genetic screens for suppressers or synthetic phenotypes will identify new and perhaps novel components of the regulatory pathway, including upstream inputs, phosphorelay regulators, and downstream effectors. ..
- Leukemogenic Slug Pathway in Hematopoietic Cell SurvivalA Look; Fiscal Year: 2008..Recent data from the applicant's laboratory indicate that Slug, an antiapoptotic transcription factor that is aberrantly upregulated in leukemias that express the E2A-HLF ..
- Meeting: Development of the Spinal Cord and Neural CrestMarianne Bronner Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ECTODERMAL PLACODE DEVELOPMENT INTO CRANIAL GANGLIAMarianne Bronner Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2003..2) examine the induction and development of the nodose placode. 3) identify molecular markers for other epibranchial placodes. 4) examine the interrelationships of the neural crest and placodes. ..
- Modulation of AMPA-Type Receptor Trafficking in AplysiaDavid Glanzman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, the laboratories of the collaborators have the necessary equipment for the proposed research. ..
- INDUCTION OF THE NEURAL CRESTMarianne Bronner Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2001..3. Determine the competence of ectoderm and neural plate to assume a neural crest fate. 4. Determine the competence of neural crest cells to assume a neural tube fate after transplantation into the ventral neural tube. ..
- MENTORED ORIENTED RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDJared Gollob; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Chemo-prevention of UVB-induced Basal Cell Carcinomas+/*Mohammad Athar; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- ROLE OF ID2 IN CRANIOFACIAL DEVELOPMENTMarianne Bronner Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2004..2. examine the function of E12 in neural crest development and craniofacial patterning. 3. identify and characterize an achaete-scute homolog(s) that potentially interacts with Id2/E proteins. ..
- Analysis of Noelin, a Neural Crest Competence FactorMarianne Bronner Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2005..3) Generate and characterize the phenotype of Noelin-1 null mutant. (4) Examine the environmental regulation of Noelin-1 expression. ..
- Modulators of EMT in Skin CarcinogenesisDonna Kusewitt; Fiscal Year: 2006..Based on this similarity and on our own finding that UVR or EGFR activation by endogenous ligands induces Slug, a putative transcription factor that modulates EMT during development and is implicated in disruption of ..
- The mechanism of crosslinking by proteins that create adhesive gelsAndrew Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..Once the remarkable natural adhesives used by animals are understood, it may be possible to design adhesives with similar properties that could be used in a wide variety of medical applications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular analysis of neural crest migrationMarianne Bronner Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2007..2. The function of the a5 subunit of laminin in early neural crest development. 3. The function of a novel chemokine in neural crest migration. 4. The function of this novel chemokine in limb development. ..
- Cellular and Molecular Basis of Long-Term HabituationDavid Glanzman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such an understanding will facilitate the development of treatments of diseases of memory, such as Alzheimer's. ..
- Mustard Gas Exposure and Carcinogenesis of the LungCharles Giardina; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, these studies will provide unique insight into the ability of a powerful mutagen to initiate carcinogenesis in humans after a single, high intensity exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Learning in the ZebrafishDavid Glanzman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such an understanding will facilitate the development of treatments for Alzheimer's disease and other disorders of memory. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic approach for transneuronal NA circuitry mappingKwang Soo Kim; Fiscal Year: 2008..Therefore, these approaches will serve as invaluable tools to elucidate the function and regulation of NA circuitry in the normal and diseased brain. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INDUCTION OF THE NEURAL CRESTMarianne Bronner Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2008..3. Examine the possible role of Notch signaling in cell fate decisions within the neural folds as cells choose between neural crest, neural tube or epidermal fates. ..
- Regulation of Src by integrins during metastasisJay Desgrosellier; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of p53 and ptc tumor suppressive pathways in BCCs development and preventionMohammad Athar; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Disruption and maintenance of extinction and other forms of interference in assocMartha Escobar; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Inhibition of pancreatic beta cell apoptosis by the transcription factor SlugJOHN RUKSTALIS; Fiscal Year: 2008..I have recently identified the expression of the anti-apoptotic transcription factor Slug in pancreatic beta cells and postulate that Slug may act as a prosurvival factor in the pancreas, similar to its ..