Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SLC39A8
Description: solute carrier family 39 member 8
Alias: BIGM103, CDG2N, LZT-Hs6, PP3105, ZIP8, zinc transporter ZIP8, BCG induced integral membrane protein BIGM103, BCG-induced integral membrane protein in monocyte clone 103 protein, LIV-1 subfamily of ZIP zinc transporter 6, ZIP-8, Zrt- and Irt-like protein 8, solute carrier family 39 (metal ion transporter), member 8
- Cd2+ versus Zn2+ uptake by the ZIP8 HCO3--dependent symporter: kinetics, electrogenicity and traffickingZhiwei Liu
Department of Environmental Health and Center for Environmental Genetics CEG, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, P O Box 670056, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 365:814-20. 2008The mouse Slc39a8 gene encodes the ZIP8 transporter, which has been shown to be a divalent cation/HCO3- symporter...
- Cadmium transport in isolated enterocytes of freshwater rainbow trout: interactions with zinc and iron, effects of complexation with cysteine, and an ATPase-coupled effluxRaymond W M Kwong
Toxicology Centre, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5B3
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 155:238-46. 2012..g., ZIP8) and Fe(2+) (e.g., DMT1) transport pathways...
- Laminarin modulates the chloroplast antioxidant system to enhance abiotic stress tolerance partially through the regulation of the defensin-like gene expressionYi Ru Wu
Department of BioAgricultural Sciences, National Chiayi University, Chiayi, Taiwan
Plant Sci 247:83-92. 2016..Lam induced expression of IRT1, ZIP8, and copper transporters involved in transport of Fe, Zn, Cu ions associated with the activity of chloroplast ..
- Tissue-Specific Induction of Mouse ZIP8 and ZIP14 Divalent Cation/Bicarbonate Symporters by, and Cytokine Response to, Inflammatory SignalsMarina Galvez-Peralta
Department of Environmental Health, Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Int J Toxicol 33:246-258. 2014Mouse Slc39a8 and Slc39a14 genes encode ZIP8 and ZIP14, respectively, which are ubiquitous divalent cation/(HCO3-)2 symporters responsible for uptake of Zn2+, Fe2+, and Mn2+
- Drug transporter expression profiling in chemoresistant variants of the A2780 ovarian cancer cell lineRadosław Januchowski
Department of Histology and Embryology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Święcickiego 6St, Post code 61 781, Poznan, Poland Electronic address
Biomed Pharmacother 68:447-53. 2014..Five genes were significantly upregulated: SLC2A9, SLC16A3, SLC16A14, SLC38A4 and SLC39A8. Four additional genes were significantly downregulated: SLC2A14, SLC6A15, SLC8A1 and SLC27A2...
- Genome-wide association study of toxic metals and trace elements reveals novel associationsEsther Ng
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, Oxford OX3 7BN, UK
Hum Mol Genet 24:4739-45. 2015..1 × 10(-11), β = -0.77), located in an exon of SLC39A8, which encodes a protein involved in manganese and zinc transport...
- LB03.08: HYPERTENSION RELATED VARIANT OF SOLUTE CARRIER FAMILY 39 MEMBER 8 GENE INFLUENCES CADMIUM UPTAKE AND CELL TOXICITYR Zhang
Clinical Pharmacology, Barts and London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom
J Hypertens 33:e128. 2015..To investigate the functional impact of rs13107325 resulting in an amino acid substitution from Ala to Thr (A391T) in SLC39A8 on Cd2+ transport and the downstream signalling pathways.
- Effects of developmental exposure to manganese and/or low iron diet: Changes to metal transporters, sucrose preference, elevated zero-maze, open-field, and locomotion in response to fenfluramine, amphetamine, and MK-801Robyn M Amos-Kroohs
Division of Neurology, Cincinnati Children s Research Foundation, Cincinnati, OH and University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229
Toxicol Rep 2:1046-1056. 2015..transporters and receptors (divalent metal transporter-1 (DMT1), transferrin (Tf), transferrin receptor (TfR), and zip8 (zrt8)) were quantified in brain at P28...
- Expression of RNAs Coding for Metal Transporters in Blood of Patients with Huntington's DiseaseMonika Szeliga
Department of Neurotoxicology, Mossakowski Medical Research Centre Polish Academy of Sciences, 5 Pawinskiego Str, 02 106, Warsaw, Poland
Neurochem Res 41:101-6. 2016..No changes were found in the levels of TFRC coding for TFR and SLC39A8 coding for ZIP8 between HD patients and controls...
- Signatures of Evolutionary Adaptation in Quantitative Trait Loci Influencing Trace Element Homeostasis in LiverJohannes Engelken
These authors contributed equally to this work Deceased October 23, 2015 Institute of Evolutionary Biology CSIC UPF, Department of Experimental and Health Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain Department of Evolutionary Genetics, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany
Mol Biol Evol 33:738-54. 2016..pair) and significant evidence for selective sweeps involving QTLs at GPX1, SELENBP1, GPX3, SLC30A9, and SLC39A8. Overall, this detailed study of various molecular phenotypes illustrates the role of regulatory variants in ..
- SLC39A8 Deficiency: A Disorder of Manganese Transport and GlycosylationJulien H Park
Universitatsklinikum Munster, Klinik und Poliklinik für Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Albert Schweitzer Campus 1, Gebäude A 1, 48149 Munster, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 97:894-903. 2015b>SLC39A8 is a membrane transporter responsible for manganese uptake into the cell...
- Pleiotropic roles of metallothioneins as regulators of chondrocyte apoptosis and catabolic and anabolic pathways during osteoarthritis pathogenesisYoonkyung Won
School of Life Sciences, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju, Korea
Ann Rheum Dis 75:2045-2052. 2016The zinc-ZIP8-MTF1 axis induces metallothionein (MT) expression and is a catabolic regulator of experimental osteoarthritis (OA) in mice...
- Transient Intermittent Hypoxia Exposure Disrupts Neonatal Bone StrengthGyuyoup Kim
Department of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA
Front Pediatr 4:15. 2016..The IH group showed a decreased expression of ZIP8 or Zrt and Irt-like protein 8 (a zinc uptake transporter), Runx2 (or Runt-related transcription factor 2, a master ..
- MP Resulting in Autophagic Cell Death of Microglia through Zinc Changes against Spinal Cord InjuryDingding Li
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital of Liaoning Medical University, Jinzhou 121000, China
Biomed Res Int 2016:6090316. 2016..At the same time, MP increases cellular zinc concentration and level of ZIP8, and TPEN could revert effect of MP on autophagic cell death of microglia...
- The LZT proteins; the LIV-1 subfamily of zinc transportersKathryn M Taylor
Tenovus Centre for Cancer Research, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Redwood Building, King Edward VIIth Avenue, Cardiff CF10 3XF, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1611:16-30. 2003..These differences to other zinc transporters may be consistent with an alternative role for LZT proteins in cells, particularly in diseases such as cancer...
- Zinc- and bicarbonate-dependent ZIP8 transporter mediates selenite uptakeJoseph R McDermott
Department of Biological Sciences, Oakland University, Rochester, MI 48309, USA
Oncotarget 7:35327-40. 2016..The ubiquitous mammalian ZIP8 divalent cation transporter (encoded by the SLC39A8 gene) is bicarbonate-dependent, moving endogenous substrates (Zn2+, Mn2+, Fe2+ or Co2+) and nonessential metals ..
- Detection and interpretation of shared genetic influences on 42 human traitsJoseph K Pickrell
New York Genome Center, New York, New York, USA
Nat Genet 48:709-17. 2016..loci are associated with multiple phenotypes; for example, a nonsynonymous variant in the zinc transporter SLC39A8 influences seven of the traits, including risk of schizophrenia (rs13107325: log-transformed odds ratio (log OR) =..
- Metallothionein and Zinc Transporter Expression in Circulating Human Blood Cells as Biomarkers of Zinc Status: a Systematic ReviewStephen R Hennigar
US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Military Nutrition Division, Natick, MA
Adv Nutr 7:735-46. 2016..ZIP) 1 [solute carrier family (SLC) 39A1], ZIP3 (SLC39A3), ZIP5 (SLC39A5), ZIP6 (SLC39A6), ZIP7 (SLC39A7), ZIP8 (SLC39A8), ZIP10 (SLC39A10), ZIP14 (SLC39A14), zinc transporter (ZnT)1 (SLC30A1), ZnT2 (SLC30A2), ZnT4 (SLC30A4), ZnT5 (..
- A blood pressure-associated variant of the SLC39A8 gene influences cellular cadmium accumulation and toxicityRuoxin Zhang
William Harvey Research Institute
Hum Mol Genet 25:4117-4126. 2016..between inter-individual variation in blood pressure and the single nucleotide polymorphism rs13107325 in the SLC39A8 gene...
- Osteoarthritis: from pathogenic mechanisms and recent clinical developments to novel prospective therapeutic optionsClaire Vinatier
INSERM, UMRS 791 LIOAD, STEP Group, Nantes, France Nantes University, UFR Odontology, Nantes, France
Drug Discov Today 21:1932-1937. 2016..of pathogenic factors [hypoxia-inducible factors (HIFs), complement, transforming growth factor (TGF)-β and zinc-ZIP8]...
- Effects of Long-Term Exposure to Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles on Development, Zinc Metabolism and Biodistribution of Minerals (Zn, Fe, Cu, Mn) in MiceChao Wang
College of Animal Science and Technology, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 11:e0164434. 2016..66 folds), metallothionein 2 (31.42 folds), ZIP8 (2.21folds), ZIP14 (2.45 folds), ZnT1 (4.76 folds), ZnT2 (6.19 folds) and ZnT4 (1.82 folds)...
- Inhibitory effect of divalent metal cations on zinc uptake via mouse Zrt-/Irt-like protein 8 (ZIP8)Akihiro Koike
Department of Environmental Biochemistry, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, 5 Nakauchi cho, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
Life Sci . 2016There is controversy regarding the substrate specificity of ZIP8, a ZIP isoform, involved in regulation of extra- and intracellular zinc levels...
- A SLC39A8 variant causes manganese deficiency, and glycosylation and mitochondrial disordersLisa G Riley
Genetic Metabolic Disorders Research Unit, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, KRI, Level 3, Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, NSW, 2145, Australia
J Inherit Metab Dis . 2016b>SLC39A8 variants have recently been reported to cause a type II congenital disorder of glycosylation (CDG) in patients with intellectual disability and cerebellar atrophy...
- Zinc Modulates Endotoxin-Induced Human Macrophage Inflammation through ZIP8 Induction and C/EBPβ InhibitionCharlie J Pyle
Center for Microbial Interface Biology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 12:e0169531. 2017..Zinc is an essential micronutrient used in host defense. The zinc importer ZIP8 is uniquely induced through stimulation of the NF-κB pathway by LPS in monocytes and functions to regulate ..
- Iron importers Zip8 and Zip14 are expressed in retina and regulated by retinal iron levelsJacob Sterling
F M Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, 305 Stellar Chance Laboratory, 422 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA Electronic address
Exp Eye Res . 2017..RT-PCR and Western analysis were used to quantify the expression of three ferrous iron importers, Dmt1, Zip8, and Zip14, in wild-type (Wt), Cp/Heph DKO, and Hepc KO retinas...
- Pleiotropic genes for metabolic syndrome and inflammationAldi T Kraja
Division of Statistical Genomics, Department of Genetics and Center for Genome Sciences and Systems Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA Electronic address
Mol Genet Metab 112:317-38. 2014..They map to genes MACF1, KIAA0754, GCKR, GRB14, COBLL1, LOC646736-IRS1, SLC39A8, NELFE, SKIV2L, STK19, TFAP2B, BAZ1B, BCL7B, TBL2, MLXIPL, LPL, TRIB1, ATXN2, HECTD4, PTPN11, ZNF664, PDXDC1, FTO,..
- Oral cadmium in mice carrying 5 versus 2 copies of the Slc39a8 gene: comparison of uptake, distribution, metal content, and toxicityScott N Schneider
Department of Environmental Health and Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA Email
Int J Toxicol 33:14-20. 2014The highly conserved human and mouse SLC39A8 gene encodes the divalent cation/bicarbonate symporter ZIP8 expressed ubiquitously in most cell types...
- Cadmium concentrations in human blood and urine are associated with polymorphisms in zinc transporter genesGerda Rentschler
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Metallomics 6:885-91. 2014..Variation in susceptibility to cadmium (Cd) toxicity may partly be due to differences in Cd toxicokinetics. Experimental studies indicate that zinc (Zn) homeostasis proteins transport Cd...
- Regulation of the catabolic cascade in osteoarthritis by the zinc-ZIP8-MTF1 axisJin Hong Kim
Cell Dynamics Research Center and School of Life Sciences, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju 500 712, Korea
Cell 156:730-43. 2014..Among Zn2+ transporters, the Zn2+ importer ZIP8 was specifically upregulated in OA cartilage of humans and mice, resulting in increased levels of intracellular Zn2+..
- [Expression of ZIP8 in vascular endothelial cells after exposure to cadmium]Suzuka Takahashi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science
Yakugaku Zasshi 134:805-7. 2014..Cadmium-sensitive mice have been reported to show high expression of zinc transporter, ZIP8, in endothelial cells of the testis vasculature, which produces genetic difference in the response to the ..
- Zinc: an underappreciated modulatory factor of brain functionL Marger
HiQScreen, SARL, 6, rte de Compois, 1222 Vésenaz, Switzerland Electronic address
Biochem Pharmacol 91:426-35. 2014..the central nervous system and discuss the relevance of the most recent association between the zinc transporter, ZIP8 and schizophrenia...
- Subclinical psychotic experiences in healthy young adults: associations with stress and genetic predispositionDagmar Bruenig
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Australia
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 18:683-9. 2014..Higher stress reporting was associated with rs4680 COMT, rs13211507 HLA region, and rs13107325 SLC39A8. Reports of higher subclinical psychotic experiences were associated with DRD2 SNPs rs17601612 and rs658986 and ..
- Emerging regulators of the inflammatory process in osteoarthritisRu Liu-Bryan
San Diego VA Healthcare System and Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 111K, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Nat Rev Rheumatol 11:35-44. 2015..effects of NFκB and mitogen-activated protein kinase signalling; HIF-2α transcriptional signalling and ZIP8-mediated Zn(2+) uptake, with downstream MTF1 transcriptional signalling, have been implicated but further ..
- Molecular mechanisms of non-transferrin-bound and transferring-bound iron uptake in primary hippocampal neuronsChangyi Ji
Department of Biochemistry, State University of New York, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, USA
J Neurochem 133:668-83. 2015..In this study, we characterized the expression and localization of ferrous iron transporters Zip8, Zip14 and divalent metal transporter 1 (DMT1), and ferrireductases Steap2 and stromal cell-derived receptor 2 in ..
- Zinc deficiency mediates alcohol-induced apoptotic cell death in the liver of rats through activating ER and mitochondrial cell death pathwaysQian Sun
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, North Carolina and Center for Translational Biomedical Research, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, North Carolina Research Campus, Kannapolis, North Carolina
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 308:G757-66. 2015..Among the detected zinc transporters, ER Zrt/Irt-like protein (ZIP)13 and mitochondrial ZIP8, which transport zinc from ER and mitochondria to cytosol, were significantly increased...
- Decreased Zn(2+) Influx Underlies the Protective Role of Hypoxia in Rat Nucleus Pulposus CellsXiao Fan Yin
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, 180 Fenglin Road, Shanghai, 200032, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 168:196-205. 2015..b>ZIP8, a main Zn(2+) transporter in chondrocytes, was assayed by immunochemistry and in Western blotting...
- Interleukin-6 enhances manganese accumulation in SH-SY5Y cells: implications of the up-regulation of ZIP14 and the down-regulation of ZnT10Hitomi Fujishiro
Laboratory of Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Yamashiro cho, Tokushima, 770 8514, Japan
Metallomics 6:944-9. 2014..Zinc transporters such as Zrt, Irt-related protein 8 (ZIP8), and ZIP14 have been shown to have affinities for Mn(2+) as well as Zn(2+), but their roles in Mn(2+) uptake in ..
- Insulin production hampered by intermittent hypoxia via impaired zinc homeostasisEung Kwon Pae
Department of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e90192. 2014..b>ZIP8 is one of the zinc uptake transporters involved in zinc influx into the cytosol of beta cells...
- Structure-function analysis of LIV-1, the breast cancer-associated protein that belongs to a new subfamily of zinc transportersKathryn M Taylor
Tenovus Cancer Research Centre, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Redwood Building, King Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff CF10 3XF, UK
Biochem J 375:51-9. 2003..Combining the crucial role that zinc plays in cell growth and the proven role of metalloproteases in metastasis presents an exciting indication of how LIV-1 plays a role in breast cancer progression...
- Evidence of common cadmium and copper uptake routes in zebrafish Danio rerioI Komjarova
King s College London, Division of Diabetes and Nutritional Science, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NH, United Kingdom
Environ Sci Technol 48:12946-51. 2014..of genes involved in the transport of Cu (CTR1 and ATP7A), Na (NHE-2), Ca (ECaC), divalent metals (DMT1), and Zn (ZIP8) were also compared between treatments at 24 and 48 h...
- Up-regulation of Slc39A2(Zip2) mRNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with pulmonary tuberculosisYan Ting Tao
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shandong University School of Medicine, 44, Wenhuaxi Road, Jinan, 250012, Shandong, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Rep 40:4979-84. 2013..mRNA expression levels of another four zinc transporters, Zip1, Zip6, Zip8 and ZnT1, were detected by quantitative real-time PCR...
- Suppression of ZIP8 expression is a common feature of cadmium-resistant and manganese-resistant RBL-2H3 cellsHitomi Fujishiro
Laboratory of Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Yamashiro cho, Tokushima 770 8514, Japan
Metallomics 5:437-44. 2013..involved in the uptake of Cd(2+) and Mn(2+), the expression of ZIP8 (Zrt-, Irt-related protein 8), encoded by Slc39a8, showed a marked suppression in both RBL-Cdr and RBL-Mnr cells...
- Positional mapping and candidate gene analysis of the mouse Ccs3 locus that regulates differential susceptibility to carcinogen-induced colorectal cancerCharles Meunier
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e58733. 2013..The interval contains another positional candidate Slc39a8 that is differentially expressed in A vs B6 colons, and that has recently been associated in CRC tumor ..
- Oocyte-cumulus cell interactions regulate free intracellular zinc in mouse oocytesR S Lisle
Department of Animal Science, Center for Reproductive Biology and Health, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Reproduction 145:381-90. 2013..The mRNA transcripts for the zinc transporter proteins Slc39a6, Slc39a8, Slc39a9, Slc39a10, Slc39a12, Slc30a2, Slc30a4, Slc30a5 and Slc30a8 mRNAs were higher in oocytes, while Slc39a1, ..
- ZIP8 regulates host defense through zinc-mediated inhibition of NF-κBMing Jie Liu
Dorothy M Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cell Rep 3:386-400. 2013..Herein, we report that the zinc transporter SLC39A8 (ZIP8) is a transcriptional target of NF-κB and functions to negatively regulate proinflammatory responses ..
- Graphical modeling of gene expression in monocytes suggests molecular mechanisms explaining increased atherosclerosis in smokersRicardo A Verdugo
INSERM UMR_S 937, Pierre and Marie Curie University, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 8:e50888. 2013..The network with the strongest support for causal effects was connected to plaques through SLC39A8, a gene with known association to HDL-cholesterol and cellular uptake of cadmium from tobacco, while smoking was ..
- ZIP14 and ZIP8 zinc/bicarbonate symporters in Xenopus oocytes: characterization of metal uptake and inhibitionDaniel W Nebert
Department of Environmental Health and Center for Environmental Genetics CEG, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Metallomics 4:1218-25. 2012The highly conserved human and mouse SLC39A14 and SLC39A8 genes encode the ZIP14 and ZIP8 transporters, respectively-functioning as divalent cation/bicarbonate symporters and expressed in dozens of tissues...
- MicroRNA-488 regulates zinc transporter SLC39A8/ZIP8 during pathogenesis of osteoarthritisJinsoo Song
Department of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Chunbuk 570 749, South Korea
J Biomed Sci 20:31. 2013..To better understand the mechanism in OA pathogenesis and investigate its effective target, we analyzed miRNA profiles during OA pathogenesis and verify the role and its functional targets of miR-488...
- What model organisms and interactomics can reveal about the genetics of human obesityMichael J Williams
Department of Neuroscience, Functional Pharmacology, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Cell Mol Life Sci 69:3819-34. 2012..gpcr5b, lrp1b, negr1, nrxn3, sh2b1, fancl, gnpda2, hmgcr, map2k5, nudt3, prkd1, qpctl, tnni3k, mtch2, dnajc27, slc39a8, mtif3, rpl27a, sec16b, etv5, hmga1, tfap2b, tub, znf608, faim2, kctd15, lingo2, poc5, ptbp2, tmem18, tmem160)...
- Zip1, Zip2, and Zip8 mRNA expressions were associated with growth hormone level during the growth hormone provocation test in children with short staturePing Sun
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shandong University School of Medicine, Jinan, Shandong, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 155:11-22. 2013..Zip2, Zip6, and ZnT1 mRNA were associated with zinc level in established human breast cancer in nude mice model; Zip8 was significantly lower in zinc-deficient Wistar rats in kidney...
- Role of zinc in the regulation of autophagy during ethanol exposure in human hepatoma cellsJ P Liuzzi
Department of Dietetics and Nutrition, Florida International University, Miami, USA
Biol Trace Elem Res 156:350-6. 2013..In addition, labile zinc and mRNA expression of metallothionein and the zinc transporters SLC39A8, SLC39A14, and SLC30A10 were evaluated in cells exposed to ethanol and the autophagy inhibitor 3-methyladenine...
- Evidence for additive and interaction effects of host genotype and infection in malariaYoussef Idaghdour
Mother and Child University Hospital Center CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada H3T 1C5
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16786-93. 2012..e., SLC39A8, C3AR1, FCGR3B, RAD21, RETN, LRRC25, SLC3A2, and TAPBP), including one association that validated a genome-wide ..
- Participation of metal transporters in cadmium transport from mother rat to fetusYasuhiro Nakamura
Department of Environmental, Occupational Health and Toxicology, School of Allied Health Sciences, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kitasato University, Minami Ku, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 37:1035-44. 2012..Uterine and placental expression of genes encoding iso-MTs (I, II, and III) and the metal transporters DMT1, ZIP8, ZIP14, ZnT1, ZnT2 and ZnT4 was determined using real-time PCR...
- ZIP8 is an iron and zinc transporter whose cell-surface expression is up-regulated by cellular iron loadingChia Yu Wang
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
J Biol Chem 287:34032-43. 2012ZIP8 (SLC39A8) belongs to the ZIP family of metal-ion transporters. Among the ZIP proteins, ZIP8 is most closely related to ZIP14, which can transport iron, zinc, manganese, and cadmium...
- ZIP8 expression in human proximal tubule cells, human urothelial cells transformed by Cd+2 and As+3 and in specimens of normal human urothelium and urothelial cancerAmornpan Ajjimaporn
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, USA
Cancer Cell Int 12:16. 2012b>ZIP8 functions endogenously as a Zn+2/HCO3- symporter that can also bring cadmium (Cd+2) into the cell. It has also been proposed that ZIP8 participates in Cd-induced testicular necrosis and renal disease...
- Reduction of liver manganese concentration in response to the ingestion of excess zinc: identification using metallomic analysesTomoya Fujimura
Division of Applied Biosciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Agriculture, Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Metallomics 4:847-50. 2012..ingestion of diets containing excess zinc, a result that is partly explained by the decreased expression of hepatic Zip8, a manganese transporter...
- ZIP8 zinc transporter: indispensable role for both multiple-organ organogenesis and hematopoiesis in uteroMarina Galvez-Peralta
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36055. 2012Previously this laboratory characterized Slc39a8-encoded ZIP8 as a Zn(2+)/(HCO(3)(-))(2) symporter; yet, the overall physiological importance of ZIP8 at the whole-organism level remains unclear...
- Roles of ZIP8, ZIP14, and DMT1 in transport of cadmium and manganese in mouse kidney proximal tubule cellsHitomi Fujishiro
Laboratory of Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Tokushima 770 8514, Japan
Metallomics 4:700-8. 2012..Zinc transporters such as Zrt, Irt-related protein 8 (ZIP8) and ZIP14, and divalent metal transporter 1 (DMT1) have been reported to have affinities for Cd(2+) and Mn(2+)...
- Cadmium-mediated toxicity of lung epithelia is enhanced through NF-κB-mediated transcriptional activation of the human zinc transporter ZIP8Jessica R Napolitano
Integrated Biomedical Science Graduate Program, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 302:L909-18. 2012..b>SLC39A8 (ZIP8), a zinc transporter, is a major portal for Cd uptake into cells...
- Physiologic implications of metal-ion transport by ZIP14 and ZIP8Supak Jenkitkasemwong
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Biometals 25:643-55. 2012..Two likely candidates are the recently identified transmembrane proteins ZIP14 and ZIP8, which have been shown to mediate the cellular uptake of a number of divalent metal ions including zinc, iron, ..
- Association study of nonsynonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms in schizophreniaNoa Carrera
Fundación Pública Galega de Medicina Xenómica SERGAS, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Biol Psychiatry 71:169-77. 2012....
- Combined microarray analysis uncovers self-renewal related signaling in mouse embryonic stem cellsHao Zhu
Center for Mathematical Medicine and Biology, School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
Syst Synth Biol 1:171-81. 2007..The drastic changes of these genes, including Slc39a8 which was a potential indicator of cell differentiation, in contrast the slight changes of self-renewal genes, ..
- Prevention of cadmium accumulation in retinal pigment epithelium with manganese and zincSoisungwan Satarug
Department of Molecular Biology and Applied Physiology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Exp Eye Res 87:587-93. 2008..effect by 50-60%, possibly by limiting the amounts of Cd(2+) entering cells through Mn(2+) transporter protein (ZIP8)...
- Manganese accumulation in the mouse ear following systemic exposureCi Ma
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 22:305-10. 2008..Quantitative reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction revealed expression of the metal transporters DMT1, ZIP8, and ZIP14 in control mouse ears. ZIP8 is known to have a high affinity (K(m) = 2...
- Mycobacterium bovis BCG cell wall and lipopolysaccharide induce a novel gene, BIGM103, encoding a 7-TM protein: identification of a new protein family having Zn-transporter and Zn-metalloprotease signaturesNasim A Begum
Department of Immunology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Higashinari ku, Osaka, 537 8511, Japan
Genomics 80:630-45. 2002..In fact, increased accumulation of intracellular Zn(2+) was observed due to the expression of BIGM103 in CHO cells...
- Zinc transporters ZnT1 (Slc30a1), Zip8 (Slc39a8), and Zip10 (Slc39a10) in mouse red blood cells are differentially regulated during erythroid development and by dietary zinc deficiencyMoon Suhn Ryu
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, Center for Nutritional Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 0370, USA
J Nutr 138:2076-83. 2008..ZnT1, Zip8, and Zip10 were detected among the 12 transporter proteins tested...
- Elevated GSH level increases cadmium resistance through down-regulation of Sp1-dependent expression of the cadmium transporter ZIP8Isamu Aiba
Department of Molecular Pathology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77054, USA
Mol Pharmacol 74:823-33. 2008..in these GCLC-transfected cell lines, which were associated with down-regulation of the cadmium transporter ZIP8/SLC39A8. Further analyses demonstrated that Sp1 binding site at the proximal promoter region of ZIP8 was sensitive to the ..
- The human zinc transporter SLC39A8 (Zip8) is critical in zinc-mediated cytoprotection in lung epitheliaBeth Besecker
Dorothy M Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, The Ohio State University, 473 W 12th Ave, Rm 405A, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L1127-36. 2008..While many zinc transporters were constitutively expressed, only SLC39A8 (Zip8) mRNA was strongly induced by TNF-alpha...
- Slc39a14 gene encodes ZIP14, a metal/bicarbonate symporter: similarities to the ZIP8 transporterKuppuswami Girijashanker
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, P O Box 670056, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Mol Pharmacol 73:1413-23. 2008..Viewed from an evolutionary perspective, SLC39A14 and SLC39A8 are the most closely related, each having three noncoding exons 1...
- The vascular system as a target of metal toxicityWalter C Prozialeck
Department of Pharmacology, Midwestern University, Downers Grove, Illinois 60515, USA
Toxicol Sci 102:207-18. 2008..A comparison of Cd-sensitive with Cd-resistant mouse strains showed that expression of the Slc39a8 gene, encoding the ZIP8 transporter, in the testis vasculature endothelium is responsible for this difference...
- The emerging role of the LIV-1 subfamily of zinc transporters in breast cancerKathryn M Taylor
Tenovus Centre for Cancer Research, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Mol Med 13:396-406. 2007..HKE4/SLC39A7 had elevated expression in both antiestrogen-resistant cell lines, and ZIP8 had elevated expression in fulvestrant-resistant cells...
- Identification of molecular markers that are expressed in discrete anterior-posterior domains of the endoderm from the gastrula stage to mid-gestationBillie A Moore-Scott
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Research Foundation, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Dev Dyn 236:1997-2003. 2007..We have identified three genes Slc39a8, Amot, and Dp1l1, which are expressed in the visceral endoderm at e7.5. Starting at e9...
- Enhanced cadmium-induced testicular necrosis and renal proximal tubule damage caused by gene-dose increase in a Slc39a8-transgenic mouse lineBin Wang
Department of Environmental Health, and The Center for Environmental Genetics CEG, University Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C1523-35. 2007..Using positional cloning, we previously identified the Slc39a8 (encoding an apical-surface ZIP8 transporter protein) as the gene most likely responsible for the phenotype...
- [Differential expression of immune-associated genes in two subcloned cell lines from a same human bladder cancer]Yu cong Yang
Medical Experimental Centre, The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710061, China
Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi 22:625-7. 2006..To screen and identify differentially expressed genes in subcloned lines from a same human bladder transitional cell carcinoma (TCC)...
- ZIP8, member of the solute-carrier-39 (SLC39) metal-transporter family: characterization of transporter propertiesLei He
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, P O Box 670056, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Mol Pharmacol 70:171-80. 2006..Members of our laboratory recently identified the ZIP8 transporter protein, encoded by the mouse Slc39a8 gene, to be responsible for genetic differences in response to cadmium damage of the testis...
- Identification of mouse SLC39A8 as the transporter responsible for cadmium-induced toxicity in the testisTimothy P Dalton
Department of Environmental Health and the Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:3401-6. 2005..demonstrated a 400-kb haplotype block consistent with the Cd-induced toxicity phenotype; in this region is the Slc39a8 gene encoding a member of the solute-carrier superfamily...
- Involvement of DNA hypermethylation in down-regulation of the zinc transporter ZIP8 in cadmium-resistant metallothionein-null cellsHitomi Fujishiro
Laboratory of Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Yamashiro cho, Tokushima 770 8514, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 241:195-201. 2009The Zrt/Irt-related protein 8 (ZIP8) encoded by slc39a8 is now emerging as an important zinc transporter involved in cellular cadmium incorporation...
- Generation of a Slc39a8 hypomorph mouse: markedly decreased ZIP8 Zn²⁺/(HCO₃⁻)₂ transporter expressionBin Wang
Department of Environmental Health and Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 410:289-94. 2011Previously this laboratory has identified the mouse Slc39a8 gene encoding the ZIP8 transporter, important in cadmium uptake. ZIP8 functions endogenously as a electroneutral Zn(2+)/(HCO(3)(-))(2) symporter, moving both ions into the cell...
- Catch me if you can! Novel aspects of cadmium transport in mammalian cellsFrank Thevenod
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, University of Witten Herdecke, Stockumer Str 12, Witten, Germany
Biometals 23:857-75. 2010..Apart from transport by the ZIP transporters SLC39A8 and SLC39A14, which is not topic of the review, uptake of free Cd(2+) has been demonstrated for the Fe(2+)/H(+) ..
- Transport pathways for cadmium in the intestine and kidney proximal tubule: focus on the interaction with essential metalsDavid A Vesey
Department of Nephrology, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland 4102, Australia
Toxicol Lett 198:13-9. 2010..The zinc/bicarbonate sympoters ZIP8 and 14 are expressed at the apical membrane of enterocytes and PTC, and can transport Cd into cells...
- Increased metallothionein gene expression, zinc, and zinc-dependent resistance to apoptosis in circulating monocytes during HIV viremiaAndrea D Raymond
The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4268, USA
J Leukoc Biol 88:589-96. 2010..Circulating monocytes from HIV+ donors were also found to have elevated zinc importer gene Zip8 expression in conjunction with elevated intracellular zinc levels in contrast to CD4(+)T-lymphocytes...
- Cross-resistance of cadmium-resistant cells to manganese is associated with reduced accumulation of both cadmium and manganeseHitomi Fujishiro
Laboratory of Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Yamashiro cho, Tokushima 770 8514, Japan
Toxicology 280:118-25. 2011..We found a down-regulation of multiple transport systems, including ZIP8, divalent metal transporter 1 (DMT1), and α₁ subunits of L-type (Ca(V)1.2) and T-type (Ca(V)3...
- Moderate zinc deficiency reduces testicular Zip6 and Zip10 abundance and impairs spermatogenesis in miceThomas P Croxford
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802 6110, USA
J Nutr 141:359-65. 2011..Data suggest Zip5 imports Zn into Sertoli cells and spermatocytes, augmented by Zip10 (primary spermatocytes) and Zip8 (secondary spermatocytes)...
- Impact of zinc metabolism on innate immune function in the setting of sepsisDaren L Knoell
Dorothy M Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, and Department of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 80:271-7. 2010..Through these investigations we have consistently observed that SLC39 A8 (ZIP8) is unique, relative to other zinc transporters, in that its expression is significantly induced at the onset of ..
- High sensitivity of RBL-2H3 cells to cadmium and manganese: an implication of the role of ZIP8Hitomi Fujishiro
Laboratory of Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Tokushima, Japan
Metallomics 3:710-8. 2011..Since relatively high expression of ZIP8 and ZIP14 was found in RBL-2H3 cells, siRNAs of ZIP8 and ZIP14 were transfected into RBL-2H3 cells...
- Glucose regulates free cytosolic Zn²⁺ concentration, Slc39 (ZiP), and metallothionein gene expression in primary pancreatic islet β-cellsElisa A Bellomo
Section of Cell Biology, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, UK
J Biol Chem 286:25778-89. 2011..24 h and are associated with increased expression of the Zn²⁺ importer family members Slc39a6, Slc39a7, and Slc39a8, and decreased expression of metallothionein 1 and 2...
- The role of ZIP8 down-regulation in cadmium-resistant metallothionein-null cellsHitomi Fujishiro
Tokushima Bunri University, Yamashiro cho, Japan
J Appl Toxicol 29:367-73. 2009..In particular, both mRNA and protein levels of ZIP8 were markedly suppressed in A7 and B5 cells...
- Mapping the zinc-transporting system in mammary cells: molecular analysis reveals a phenotype-dependent zinc-transporting network during lactationShannon L Kelleher
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
J Cell Physiol 227:1761-70. 2012..Protein abundance of six Zip (Zip3, Zip5, Zip7, Zip8, Zip10, Zip11) and three ZnT (ZnT2, ZnT4, ZnT9) proteins was expanded >2-fold during lactation, which was not ..
- Fe- and Zn-induced inhibition of Cd uptake in human lung cell lines: speciation studies with H441 and A549 cellsMarc Mantha
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Centre TOXEN, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3P8
Toxicol In Vitro 25:1701-11. 2011..Studies on Cd-Ca reciprocal inhibition do not support a role for Ca pathways in Cd uptake. Nramp2 and Zip8 mRNAs were detected in both cell lines. Fe inhibited Cd uptake in the nitrate medium with an apparent at pH 5.5...
- Zinc transporter ZIP8 (SLC39A8) and zinc influence IFN-gamma expression in activated human T cellsTolunay B Aydemir
Center for Nutritional Sciences, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Leukoc Biol 86:337-48. 2009The zinc transporter ZIP8 is highly expressed in T cells derived from human subjects. T cell ZIP8 expression was markedly up-regulated upon in vitro activation...
- The role of zinc transporters in cadmium and manganese transport in mammalian cellsSeiichiro Himeno
Tokushima Bunri University, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Laboratory of Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology, Yamashiro cho, Tokushima 770 8514, Japan
Biochimie 91:1218-22. 2009..testicular hemorrhage revealed that a zinc transporter, Zrt-, Irt-related protein (ZIP) 8 encoded by slc39a8, is responsible for the strain difference...
- Discovery of ZIP transporters that participate in cadmium damage to testis and kidneyLei He
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 238:250-7. 2009..6-centiMorgan region on chromosome 3 was reduced ultimately to 880 kb; in this segment is the Slc39a8 gene encoding the ZIP8 Zn(2+)/HCO(3)(-) symporter...
- Long-term extracellular signal-related kinase activation following cadmium intoxication is negatively regulated by a protein kinase C-dependent pathway affecting cadmium transportPatrick Martin
CNRS FRE3094, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Nice, France
FEBS J 276:1667-79. 2009..Finally, we present evidence suggesting that the ZIP8 transporter is involved in this process, as multiple small interfering RNAs against ZIP8 have a protective effect ..
- Drug transporter expression profiling in chemoresistant variants of the A2780 ovarian cancer cell line
- Robert J Cousins; Fiscal Year: 2016..We have identified two zinc transporter genes Zip8 and Zip14, which respond to proinflammatory cytokines...
- Zijuan Liu; Fiscal Year: 2015..Recently we discovered that SLC39A8 (ZIP8), a member of the zinc (Zn) importer family, directly transports SeIV in the presence of Zn2+ and this ..
- GENOTOXICITY IN CYP1A2 DEFICIENT TRANSGENIC MICEDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..S. population. ..
- CYP1A1 GENE AND ENVIRONMENTAL TOXICITYDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PAHs: Balance of Detoxication vs Metabolic ActivationDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2009..dissemination of ingested BaP and will be informative in clinical studies in which we would determine which haplotypes of these three human genes might be associated with resistance vs. sensitivity to PAH-induced toxicity and cancer. ..
- Molecular Genetics of Cadmium ToxicityDaniel W Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2010..During the current funding period, we identified the Slc39a8 gene as the Cdm locus responsible for Cd-induced testicular necrosis...
- Zinc Importer SLC39A8 and Lung Epithelial Cell SurvivalBeth Besecker; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our preliminary findings indicate that the zinc transporter, SLC39A8, is a key regulator of zinc homeostasis in the human lung epithelium...
- Cytolytic Attack Against Lung Parenchyma in EmphysemaDaren Knoell; Fiscal Year: 2006..The applicant has established an excellent group of advisors to assist in this endeavor and has secured the appropriate institutional support to complete the training. ..
- MECHANISMS OF CADMIUM TOXICITY IN EPITHELIAL CELLSWALTER PROZIALECK; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, the results of these studies could have more general implications regarding the mechanisms by which toxic substances affect living organisms. ..