Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SHMT1
Description: serine hydroxymethyltransferase 1
Alias: CSHMT, SHMT, serine hydroxymethyltransferase, cytosolic, cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase, glycine hydroxymethyltransferase, serine hydroxymethyltransferase 1 (soluble), serine methylase
Publications196 found, 100 shown here
- Thermodynamic analysis of the binding of the polyglutamate chain of 5-formyltetrahydropteroylpolyglutamates to serine hydroxymethyltransferaseT Huang
Institute for Structural Biology and Drug Discovery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0614, USA
Biochemistry 37:13536-42. 1998..5-CHO-H4PteGlun) and its polyglutamate forms to rabbit liver cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) were determined by a combination of isothermal titration calorimetry and spectrophotometry...
- Serine hydroxymethyltransferase isoforms are differentially inhibited by leucovorin: characterization and comparison of recombinant zebrafish serine hydroxymethyltransferasesWen Ni Chang
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, No 1, University Road, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Drug Metab Dispos 35:2127-37. 2007Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) provides activated one-carbon units required for the biosynthesis of nucleotides, protein, and methyl group by converting serine and tetrahydrofolate to glycine and N(5),N(10)-..
- Glycine turnover and decarboxylation rate quantified in healthy men and women using primed, constant infusions of [1,2-(13)C2]glycine and [(2)H3]leucineYvonne Lamers
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 0370, USA
J Nutr 137:2647-52. 2007..Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) catalyzes the interconversion of glycine and serine, another 1-carbon donor...
- Cloning of human cDNAs encoding mitochondrial and cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferases and chromosomal localizationT A Garrow
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley 94720
J Biol Chem 268:11910-6. 1993Human cDNAs for cytosolic and mitochondrial serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) were cloned by functional complementation of an Escherichia coli glyA mutant with a human cDNA library...
- The role of serine hydroxymethyltransferase isozymes in one-carbon metabolism in MCF-7 cells as determined by (13)C NMRT F Fu
Department of Biochemistry, Institute for Structural Biology and Drug Discovery, 800 East Leigh Street, Suite 212, Richmond, Virginia 23219, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 393:42-50. 2001..2-(13)C]Glycine is not a donor of one-carbons groups, confirming that MCF-7 cells lack a functional glycine cleavage system...
- Cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase mediates competition between folate-dependent deoxyribonucleotide and S-adenosylmethionine biosynthesesKatherine Herbig
Cornell University, Division of Nutritional Sciences, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 277:38381-9. 2002..The influence of cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT) on this competition was examined in MCF-7 cells...
- Associations between polymorphisms in the thymidylate synthase and serine hydroxymethyltransferase genes and susceptibility to malignant lymphomaAsahi Hishida
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center, Nagoya, Japan
Haematologica 88:159-66. 2003..synthase (TS) 28-bp tandem repeats in the promoter region and in cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT1 C1420T) have been reported to modulate the risk of adult acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL)...
- The role of genetic factors in the development of hyperhomocysteinemiaJurgen Geisel
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Saarland Medical School, Homburg, Germany
Clin Chem Lab Med 41:1427-34. 2003..in five genes (5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) 677C --> T, serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) 1420C --> T, thymidylate synthase (TS) 2R --> 3R, catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) 1947G --> A and ..
- Dietary intake of B-vitamins, polymorphisms in thymidylate synthase and serine hydroxymethyltransferase 1, and colorectal adenoma risk: a Dutch case-control studyMaureen van den Donk
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, P O Box 8129, NL 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Cancer Lett 250:146-53. 2007..768 cases and 709 controls, we investigated the associations between colorectal adenomas and TS tandem repeat and SHMT1 C1420T polymorphisms, and the interplay with B-vitamins...
- Association of MTHFR C677T and SHMT(1) C1420T with susceptibility to ESCC and GCA in a high incident region of Northern ChinaYimin Wang
Hebei Cancer Institute, Hebei Medical University, Jiankanglu 12, Shijiazhuang, 050011, Hebei Province, China
Cancer Causes Control 18:143-52. 2007..folate reductase gene (MTHFR C677T) and the C to T transition in the serine hydroxymethyltransferase ( 1 )gene (SHMT ( 1 ) C1420T) and the increased risk of carcinogenesis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) and gastric ..
- Evidence for small ubiquitin-like modifier-dependent nuclear import of the thymidylate biosynthesis pathwayCollynn F Woeller
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 282:17623-31. 2007..In this study, the mechanism for the preferential partitioning of cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT)-derived methylenetetrahydrofolate to de novo thymidylate biosynthesis was investigated...
- Effect of vitamin B6 availability on serine hydroxymethyltransferase in MCF-7 cellsCheryll Perry
Cornell University, Division of Nutritional Science, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 462:21-7. 2007..serine through the activity of the pyridoxal-phosphate (PLP)-dependent isozymes of serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT)...
- Risk of colorectal cancer associated with the C677T polymorphism in 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase in Portuguese patients depends on the intake of methyl-donor nutrientsCatarina Sousa Guerreiro
Escola Superior de Tecnologia da Saúde de Lisboa, Unidade de Nutrição e Metabolismo do Instituto de Medicina Molecular da Universidade de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
Am J Clin Nutr 88:1413-8. 2008..Polymorphisms located in genes involved in the metabolism of folate and some methyl-related nutrients are implicated in colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- SHMT1 and SHMT2 are functionally redundant in nuclear de novo thymidylate biosynthesisDonald D Anderson
Graduate Field of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e5839. 2009The three enzymes that constitute the de novo thymidylate synthesis pathway in mammals, cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT1), thymidylate synthase (TYMS) and dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) undergo sumoylation and nuclear ..
- Association of folate-pathway gene polymorphisms with the risk of prostate cancer: a population-based nested case-control study, systematic review, and meta-analysisSimon M Collin
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, 39 Whatley Road, Bristol, BS8 2PS United Kingdom
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:2528-39. 2009..6 studies; 7,493 cases; 36,941 controls), SLC19A1/RFC1 G80A (rs1051266; 4 studies; 6,222 cases; 35,821 controls), SHMT1 C1420T (rs1979277; 2 studies; 2,689 cases; 4,110 controls), and FOLH1 T1561C (rs202676; 5 studies; 6,314 cases; 35,..
- Polymorphisms in methionine synthase, methionine synthase reductase and serine hydroxymethyltransferase, folate and alcohol intake, and colon cancer riskSusan E Steck
Department of Nutrition, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N C, USA
J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics 1:196-204. 2008..We examined associations among folate and alcohol intake, single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in genes involved in one-carbon metabolism, and colon cancer risk...
- Candidate gene association studies and risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a systematic review and meta-analysisJayaram Vijayakrishnan
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK
Haematologica 95:1405-14. 2010..16; 95%ci: 1.04-1.30), mtrr a66g (or=0.73, 95%ci:0.59-0.91), shmt1 c1420t (or=0.79, 95%ci: 0.65-0.98), rfc1 g80a (or=1.37, 95%ci: 1.11-1.69), cyp1a1*2a (or=1.36, 95%ci:1.11-1...
- SHMT1 1420 and MTHFR 677 variants are associated with rectal but not colon cancerViktor Komlósi
School of PhD Studies, Pathological Sciences, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
BMC Cancer 10:525. 2010Association between rectal or colon cancer risk and serine hydroxymethyltransferase 1 (SHMT1) C1420T or methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphisms was assessed...
- Glycine consumption and mitochondrial serine hydroxymethyltransferase in cancer cells: the heme connectionMartino L di Salvo
Dipartimento di Scienze Biochimiche A Rossi Fanelli, Sapienza Universita di Roma, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma, Italy
Med Hypotheses 80:633-6. 2013....
- Molecular cloning, characterization and alternative splicing of the human cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase geneS Girgis
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Gene 210:315-24. 1998The human cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (CSHMT) gene was isolated, sequenced and its expression characterized in human MCF-7 mammary carcinoma and SH_5Y5Y neuroblastoma cells...
- Polymorphisms in the one-carbon metabolic pathway, plasma folate levels and colorectal cancer in a prospective studyJia Chen
Departments of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Int J Cancer 110:617-20. 2004..Cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT), methylenetetrahydrofolate dehydrogenase (MTHFD1) and glutamate carboxypeptidase II (GCPII) are key genes ..
- Effects of breed, parity, and folic Acid supplement on the expression of folate metabolism genes in endometrial and embryonic tissues from sows in early pregnancyMaud Vallée
Departement de Biologie, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1K 2R1
Biol Reprod 67:1259-67. 2002..In this study, we report the characterization of cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT), T-protein, and vT-protein (variant T-protein) mRNA expression levels in endometrial ..
- The primary structure of sheep liver cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferase and an analysis of the evolutionary relationships among serine hydroxymethyltransferasesR Usha
Department of Biochemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Biochim Biophys Acta 1204:75-83. 1994..This analysis also showed independent duplication of SHMT genes in Neurospora crassa...
- Moderate dietary vitamin B-6 restriction raises plasma glycine and cystathionine concentrations while minimally affecting the rates of glycine turnover and glycine cleavage in healthy men and womenYvonne Lamers
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Nutr 139:452-60. 2009..through the glycine cleavage system (GCS) and glycine-serine transformation by serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) require pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP; active form of vitamin B-6) as a coenzyme...
- Vitamin B-6 deficiency in rats reduces hepatic serine hydroxymethyltransferase and cystathionine beta-synthase activities and rates of in vivo protein turnover, homocysteine remethylation and transsulfurationM Martinez
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 0370, USA
J Nutr 130:1115-23. 2000..catabolism, and pyridoxal phosphate (PLP) plays a key role as coenzyme for serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) and enzymes of transsulfuration...
- Crystal structure at 2.4 A resolution of E. coli serine hydroxymethyltransferase in complex with glycine substrate and 5-formyl tetrahydrofolateJ N Scarsdale
Department of Biochemistry and Institute for Structural Biology and Drug Discovery, Virginia Commonwealth University, 800 E Leigh St Suite 212, Richmond, VA 23219, USA
J Mol Biol 296:155-68. 2000..Crystal structures of the human and rabbit cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferases (SHMT) confirmed their close similarity in tertiary and dimeric subunit structure to each other and to aspartate ..
- Western blot antibody determination in sera from patients diagnosed with Anisakis sensitization with different antigenic fractions of Anisakis simplex purified by affinity chromatographyM Rodero
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid Spain
J Helminthol 81:307-10. 2007..simplex larval crude extract, the proteins implicated in cross-reactions with Ascaris and Toxocara were eliminated, with an important concentration of proteins responsible for the induction of specific responses...
- Matrix vesicle annexins exhibit proteolipid-like properties. Selective partitioning into lipophilic solvents under acidic conditionsB R Genge
Department of Chemistry, University of South Carolina, Columbia 29208
J Biol Chem 266:10678-85. 1991....
- AhpC, AhpD, and a secreted 14-kilodalton antigen from Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis distinguish between paratuberculosis and bovine tuberculosis in an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assayI Olsen
National Veterinary Institute, Oslo, Norway
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 8:797-801. 2001..These results show that purified specific antigens are needed to differentiate between paratuberculosis and bovine TB in ELISA...
- Serine hydroxymethyl transferase from Streptococcus thermophilus and L-threonine aldolase from Escherichia coli as stereocomplementary biocatalysts for the synthesis of beta-hydroxy-alpha,omega-diamino acid derivativesMariana L Gutierrez
Biotransformation group Instituto de Investigaciones Químicas y Ambientales de Barcelona CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
Chemistry 14:4647-56. 2008A novel serine hydroxymethyl transferase from Streptococcus thermophilus (SHMT) and a L-threonine aldolase from Escherichia coli (LTA) were used as stereocomplementary biocatalysts for the aldol addition of glycine to N-Cbz amino ..
- Osmotic induction of gene osmC expression in Escherichia coli K12C Gutierrez
Centre de Recherche de Biochimie et Génétique Cellulaire du CNRS, Toulouse, France
J Mol Biol 220:959-73. 1991..Mutations leading to constitutive expression of osmC were selected. Two independent mutations were obtained, both affected osmZ, the gene encoding the histone-like protein H1...
- Identification of glyA (encoding serine hydroxymethyltransferase) and its use together with the exporter ThrE to increase L-threonine accumulation by Corynebacterium glutamicumPetra Simic
Institut fur Biotechnologie, Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, D 52425 Julich, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:3321-7. 2002..order to discover the molecular reason for this activity, we cloned glyA, encoding serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT). By using affinity-tagged glyA, SHMT was isolated and its substrate specificity was determined...
- Differential proteomic response to heat stress in thermal Agrostis scabra and heat-sensitive Agrostis stoloniferaChenping Xu
Department of Plant Biology and Pathology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Physiol Plant 139:192-204. 2010..photorespiration [(hydroxypyruvate reductase, alanine aminotransferase (AlaAT), hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT), glycine decarboxylase (GDC)], as well as heat and oxidative stress protection [heat shock cognate (HSC) 70 and ..
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor, nerve growth and neurotrophin-3 selected regions of the rat brain following kainic acid-induced seizure activityR Katoh-Semba
Department of Perinatology, Institute for Developmental Research, Aichi Human Service Center, Kasugai, Japan
Neurosci Res 35:19-29. 1999....
- Structure determination and biochemical studies on Bacillus stearothermophilus E53Q serine hydroxymethyltransferase and its complexes provide insights on function and enzyme memoryV Rajaram
Molecular Biophysics Unit, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
FEBS J 274:4148-60. 2007Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) belongs to the alpha-family of pyridoxal 5'-phosphate-dependent enzymes and catalyzes the reversible conversion of L-Ser and tetrahydrofolate to Gly and 5,10-methylene tetrahydrofolate...
- Importance of tyrosine residues of Bacillus stearothermophilus serine hydroxymethyltransferase in cofactor binding and L-allo-Thr cleavageB S Bhavani
Protein Chemistry and Technology, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore, India
FEBS J 275:4606-19. 2008Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) from Bacillus stearothermophilus (bsSHMT) is a pyridoxal 5'-phosphate-dependent enzyme that catalyses the conversion of L-serine and tetrahydrofolate to glycine and 5,10-methylene tetrahydrofolate...
- A mathematical model gives insights into the effects of vitamin B-6 deficiency on 1-carbon and glutathione metabolismH Frederik Nijhout
Department of Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Nutr 139:784-91. 2009..Reduction of the enzymatic activity of serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) had negligible effects on most metabolite concentrations and reaction velocities...
- In vitro reconstituted biotransformation of 4-fluorothreonine from fluoride ion: application of the fluorinaseHai Deng
School of Chemistry and Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, North Haugh, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9ST, UK
Chem Biol 15:1268-76. 2008..enzyme is an unusual PLP-dependent catalyst with some homology to both bacterial serine hydroxymethyl transferases (SHMT) and C5 sugar isomerases/epimerases...
- Crystal structure of p14TCL1, an oncogene product involved in T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia, reveals a novel beta-barrel topologyF Hoh
Centre de Biochimie Structurale, Faculte de Pharmacie, Paris, France
Structure 6:147-55. 1998..In order to gain a more fundamental insight into the role of this particular class of oncogenes, we have determined the three-dimensional structure of p14TCL1...
- Enhancing production of L-serine by increasing the glyA gene expression in Methylobacterium sp. MB200Peihong Shen
College of Life Science and Technology, The Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education for Microbial and Plant Genetic Engineering, Guangxi University, 100 Daxue Road, Nanning, Guangxi 530005, China
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 160:740-50. 2010..The glyA gene, encoding serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT), was isolated from the genomic DNA of Methylobacterium sp...
- Interaction of LY171883 and other peroxisome proliferators with fatty-acid-binding protein isolated from rat liverJ R Cannon
Toxicology Division, Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Greenfield, IN 46140
Biochem J 280:387-91. 1991..Interaction of peroxisome proliferators with FABP may be involved in perturbations of fatty acid metabolism caused by these agents as well as in the development of the pleiotropic response of peroxisome proliferation...
- Transcriptional regulation of the one-carbon metabolism regulon in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by Bas1pMohan Subramanian
Department of Medical Genetics and Microbiology, University of Toronto, Medical Sciences Building Room 4383, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, ON, M5S 1A8, Canada
Mol Microbiol 57:53-69. 2005..Glycine regulation was also found to be dependent on an intact SHM2 gene, which encodes cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase. A reporter plasmid containing a DNA sequence from the GCV2 promoter which confers glycine ..
- The presence and distribution of pituitary adenylate cyclase activating polypeptide and its receptor in the snail Helix pomatiaL Hernadi
Department of Experimental Zoology, Balaton Limnological Research Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, P O Box 35, H 8237 Tihany, Hungary
Neuroscience 155:387-402. 2008..5 h continuous washing. Taken together, these results indicate that PACAP may have significant role in a wide range of basic physiological functions in snail...
- Association of genetic variation in cystathionine-beta-synthase and arsenic metabolismKristin E Porter
School of Public Health, 237A Hildebrand Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7356, USA
Environ Res 110:580-7. 2010..CBS), thymidylate synthase (TYMS), dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), serine hydroxymethyltransferase 1 (SHMT1)] and glutathione biosynthesis [glutathione-S-transferase omega 1 (GSTO1)] were examined in an arsenic-exposed ..
- Identification of two secreted phospholipases A2 in human epidermisE Maury
Institut Fédératif de Recherche en Immunologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire, Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
J Invest Dermatol 114:960-6. 2000..Taken together, these data validate the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction technique performed on thin sections as a first approach to detect gene expression in different layers of the epidermis...
- Cloning and structural analysis of Mycobacterium leprae serine hydroxymethyltransferaseSarita Sharma
Division of Molecular and Structural Biology, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow 226001, India
Protein Expr Purif 55:189-97. 2007Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) plays a key role in cell physiology as it participates in the different interconversion pathway of folate coenzymes, provides almost exclusively folate one carbon fragments for the biosynthesis of a ..
- Molecular cloning and characterization of cystatin, a cysteine protease inhibitor, from Angiostrongylus cantonensisYu Hong Liu
Department of Parasitology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, 74 2nd Zhongshan Road, Guangzhou, 510080, China
Parasitol Res 107:915-22. 2010..cantonensis detected rAcCystatin by Western blot, while the sera from infected rats (permissive host) could not. The results implied that AcCystatin might be an immunoregulator in A. cantonensis infection...
- Expression of methylation pathway enzymes in bovine oocytes and preimplantation embryosShuntaro Ikeda
Laboratory of Animal Physiology and Functional Anatomy, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 313:129-36. 2010..methyltransferase (MTR), betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT), serine hydroxymethyltransferase 1 (SHMT1), SHMT2, and 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR)...
- A light-repressed transcript found in Synechococcus PCC 7002 is similar to a chloroplast-specific small subunit ribosomal protein and to a transcription modulator protein associated with sigma 54X Tan
Department of Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences, University of Houston, Texas 77204 5934
J Biol Chem 269:20905-12. 1994..The loss of initial [35S]methionine labeling in the light of the 21-kDa protein in a kanamycin-interrupted lrtA gene mutant suggests that the lrtA codes for the 21-kDa protein...
- Serine hydroxymethyltransferase: role of glu75 and evidence that serine is cleaved by a retroaldol mechanismDoletha M E Szebenyi
MacCHESS at Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Biochemistry 43:6865-76. 2004Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) catalyzes the reversible interconversion of serine and glycine with tetrahydrofolate serving as the one-carbon carrier...
- l-Threonine aldolase, serine hydroxymethyltransferase and fungal alanine racemase. A subgroup of strictly related enzymes specialized for different functionsR Contestabile
Dipartimento di Scienze Biochimiche A Rossi Fanelli and Centro di Biologia Molecolare del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Universita degli Studi di Roma, La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Eur J Biochem 268:6508-25. 2001Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) is a member of the fold type I family of vitamin B6-dependent enzymes, a group of evolutionarily related proteins that share the same overall fold...
- Characterization of Cry34/Cry35 binary insecticidal proteins from diverse Bacillus thuringiensis strain collectionsH Ernest Schnepf
Research and Development Laboratories, Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:1765-74. 2005..The binary Cry34/Cry35 B. thuringiensis crystal proteins thus appear closely related to each other, are environmentally ubiquitous, and share sequence similarities consistent with activity through membrane disruption in target organisms...
- Serine hydroxymethyltransferase from Plasmodium vivax is different in substrate specificity from its homologuesKittipat Sopitthummakhun
Department of Biochemistry and Center for Excellence in Protein Structure and Function, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
FEBS J 276:4023-36. 2009..14 +/- 0.01 microM. An alternative assay for measuring the tetrahydrofolate-dependent SHMT activity based on the coupled reaction with 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (EC 220.127.116.11) from E...
- Litomosoides sigmodontis cystatin acts as an immunomodulator during experimental filariasisAlexander W Pfaff
Institute for Tropical Medicine, University of Tubingen, Wilhelmstrasse 27, 72074, Tubingen, Germany
Int J Parasitol 32:171-8. 2002..These results suggested that cystatin acts as an immunomodulatory molecule during the course of a filarial infection, and its neutralisation might contribute to generate protective immune responses...
- Galectin-2 at the enterocyte brush border of the small intestineMartha Kampp Thomsen
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3, Copenhagen N, Denmark
Mol Membr Biol 26:347-55. 2009..In this way, they offer a maximal protection of the brush border against exposure to bile, pancreatic enzymes and pathogens...
- Diversity of antigen recognition by serum antibodies in experimental bovine tuberculosisK P Lyashchenko
Public Health Research Institute, New York, NY 10016, USA
Infect Immun 66:5344-9. 1998..Kinetic analyses of the antibody production to individual antigens during infection revealed that the heterogeneous antigen recognition profile changed markedly in a given infected animal as disease progressed...
- Roles of p53 and caspases in the induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis by HIV-1 vprL D Shostak
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester Cancer Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Exp Cell Res 251:156-65. 1999..Boc-D-FMK significantly reduced the numbers of apoptotic cells induced by vpr. Therefore, we conclude that vpr-induced apoptosis is effected via the activation of caspases...
- Mammalian transcription in support of hybrid mRNA and protein synthesis in testis and lungCarolyn Fitzgerald
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calgary, 330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:38172-80. 2006..This finding expands the repertoire of known mechanisms available to cells to generate proteome diversity...
- An acyl-CoA-binding protein (FcACBP) and a fatty acid binding protein (FcFABP) respond to microbial infection in Chinese white shrimp, Fenneropenaeus chinensisQian Ren
School of Life Sciences, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong 250100, PR China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 27:739-47. 2009..FcFABP was down-regulated by V. anguillarum challenge. The protein also had bacterial binding activity. These two lipid metabolism related proteins may play important roles in shrimp innate immunity...
- Detection of germ cell-derived proteins in testicular interstitial fluid: potential for monitoring spermatogenesis in vivoK J Turner
MRC Reproductive Biology Unit, Edinburgh, Scotland
J Androl 17:127-36. 1996..g., PEBP and ARP-2) should enable more definitive assessment of whether proteins secreted by the seminiferous epithellum can be measured in blood and thus provide a potential means of monitoring spermatogenesis...
- Isoaspartate in ribosomal protein S11 of Escherichia coliC L David
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 3900, USA
J Bacteriol 181:2872-7. 1999..The near stoichiometric levels of isoaspartate in S11, estimated at 0.5 mol of isoaspartate per mol of S11, suggests that this unusual modification may be important for S11 function...
- Chemoprotective effects of a protein from the red algae Porphyra yezoensis on acetaminophen-induced liver injury in ratsHye Jung Hwang
Faculty of Food Science and Biotechnology, Pukyong National University, Busan 608 737, Korea
Phytother Res 22:1149-53. 2008..In contrast, treatment with AAP + PYP produced levels of caspase-3 activity, DNA fragmentation, GSH and GOT/GPT that matched the values seen in the control group. It is concluded that PYP may prevent AAP-induced liver injury...
- Analysis of the transcriptional unit encoding the genes for rubredoxin (rub) and a putative rubredoxin oxidoreductase (rbo) in Desulfovibrio vulgaris HildenboroughM J Brumlik
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Bacteriol 171:4996-5004. 1989..Southern blotting indicates that the rbo-rub operon is present in several species and strains of sulfate-reducing bacteria...
- Angiogenin prevents serum withdrawal-induced apoptosis of P19 embryonal carcinoma cellsShuping Li
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
FEBS J 277:3575-87. 2010..Thus, angiogenin prevents stress-induced cell death through both the Bcl-2 and Nf-kappab pathways...
- Investigating the regulation of one-carbon metabolism in Arabidopsis thalianaRong Li
Department of Biology, University of Saskatchewan, 112 Science Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 5E2 Canada
Plant Cell Physiol 44:233-41. 2003..1.1.10) and serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT, EC 18.104.22.168) with glycine (Gly) as one-carbon (1-C) source...
- Rapid uptake and degradation of glycine by astroglial cells in culture: synthesis and release of serine and lactateS Verleysdonk
Physiologisch chemisches Institut der Universität, Tubingen, Germany
Glia 27:239-48. 1999..of rat brain and of neural primary cultures were assayed for their content of serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) and glycine cleavage system (GCS)...
- Induction of radiosensitization by indolocarbazole derivatives: the role of DNA topoisomerase IAllan Y Chen
Department of Radiation Oncology, UC Davis Medical Center, 4501 X Street, G 126, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Mol Pharmacol 66:553-60. 2004..Analyzed by the single-hit multitarget (SHMT) model, F1, F5, and F7, like camptothecin, induce RS by obliterating the "shoulder" of radiation survival curve...
- A ferritin-responsive internal ribosome entry site regulates folate metabolismCollynn F Woeller
Graduate Field of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 282:29927-35. 2007b>Cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT) enzyme levels are elevated by the expression of the heavy chain ferritin (H ferritin) cDNA in cultured cells without corresponding changes in mRNA levels, resulting in enhanced folate-..
- Ovohemerythrin, a major 14-kDa yolk protein distinct from vitellogenin in leechJ L Baert
Unité Associée au Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique no 148, Laboratoire de Phylogénie Moléculaire des Annélides, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Eur J Biochem 209:563-9. 1992..This observation suggests a more complex function for ovohemerythrin than being merely a yolk nutrient for the embryo...
- Biochemical characterization of murine glycosylation-inhibiting factorY Tagaya
La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, CA 92037
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:9117-21. 1991..In contrast, the 125I-labeled lipocortin, but not the 14-kDa GIF, bound to phosphatidylserine vesicles. The results indicate that GIF does not belong to the anexin family...
- Characterisation of a human serine hydroxymethyltransferase pseudogene and its localisation to 1p32.3-33P C Byrne
Molecular Microbiology Group, School of Biological Sciences, Universityof Surrey, UK
Hum Genet 97:340-4. 1996..of serine and tetrahydrofolate to glycine and 5,10 methylene tetrahydrofolate by serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT, EC 22.214.171.124) is the major route for the provision of one-carbon units for biosynthetic reactions...
- Role of mitochondrial and cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase isozymes in de novo purine synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeE K Kastanos
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Texas, Austin 78712, USA
Biochemistry 36:14956-64. 1997..Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) is the major provider of one-carbon units in the cell. The other product of this reaction is glycine...
- cDNA cloning and Escherichia coli expression of UK114 tumor antigenI Colombo
Institute of General Physiology and Biological Chemistry, University of Milan, Via Trentacoste 2, 20134 Milan, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1442:49-59. 1998..It inhibits cell-free protein synthesis at 8 microM concentration...
- uspB, a new sigmaS-regulated gene in Escherichia coli which is required for stationary-phase resistance to ethanolA Farewell
Department of Microbiology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Bacteriol 180:6140-7. 1998....
- The mutK gene of Vibrio cholerae: a new gene involved in DNA mismatch repairK K Bhakat
Biophysics Division, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Calcutta 700 032, India
J Bacteriol 181:879-83. 1999..The mutK gene has recently been positioned in the ordered cloned DNA map of the genome of the V. cholerae strain from which the gene was isolated (10)...
- An African swine fever virus ERV1-ALR homologue, 9GL, affects virion maturation and viral growth in macrophages and viral virulence in swineT Lewis
Plum Island Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Greenport, New York 11944 0848, USA
J Virol 74:1275-85. 2000..All pigs previously infected with Delta9GL survived infection when subsequently challenged with a lethal dose of virulent parental MAL. Thus, ASFV 9GL gene deletion mutants may prove useful as live-attenuated ASF vaccines...
- Investigating conformational stability of bovine pancreatic phospholipase A2: a novel concept in evaluating the contribution of the 'native-framework' of disulphides to the global conformational stability of proteinsR Rajesh Singh
Research Center for Protein Chemistry, Institute of Molecular Medicine and the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, U S A
Biochem J 377:685-92. 2004....
- Quantification of seminal plasma motility inhibitor/semenogelin in human seminal plasmaKaoru Yoshida
Department of Urology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
J Androl 24:878-84. 2003..793, P <.0001). This result supports that SPMI, one of the fragments of Sg, has its inhibitory effect on ejaculated spermatozoa in liquefied semen under physiological conditions...
- Arabidopsis SHMT1, a serine hydroxymethyltransferase that functions in the photorespiratory pathway influences resistance to biotic and abiotic stressJuan Ignacio Moreno
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC, Campus Universidad Autonoma, Cantoblanco, E 28049 Madrid, Spain
Plant J 41:451-63. 2005We found that a recessive mutation, shmt1-1, causes aberrant regulation of cell death resulting in chlorotic and necrotic lesion formation under a variety of environmental conditions...
- 5-Formyltetrahydrofolate is an inhibitory but well tolerated metabolite in Arabidopsis leavesAymeric Goyer
Horticultural Sciences Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
J Biol Chem 280:26137-42. 20055-Formyltetrahydrofolate (5-CHO-THF) is formed via a second catalytic activity of serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) and strongly inhibits SHMT and other folate-dependent enzymes in vitro...
- Properties of human and rabbit cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferase are changed by single nucleotide polymorphic mutationsTzu Fun Fu
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, National Cheng Kung University, College of Medicine, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Arch Biochem Biophys 442:92-101. 2005Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) is a key enzyme in the formation and regulation of the folate one-carbon pool...
- The photorespiratory Arabidopsis shm1 mutant is deficient in SHM1Lars M Voll
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1312, USA
Plant Physiol 140:59-66. 2006Mitochondrial serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT), combined with glycine decarboxylase, catalyzes an essential sequence of the photorespiratory C2 cycle, namely, the conversion of two molecules of glycine into one molecule each of CO2, ..
- Implication of the folate-methionine metabolism pathways in susceptibility to follicular lymphomasSidonie Niclot
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM UR383 E0210, the Service d Hématologie Clinique adulte U550, and the Département de biostatistiques, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Universite Rene Descartes, Paris, France
Blood 108:278-85. 2006..methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR), methionine synthase (MS or MTR), serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT), and thymidylate synthase (TS or TYMS), modify the risk of various cancers and possibly FL...
- Is the anti-sarcoma and anti-viral cytokine "plasma factor" a novel chicken Y-box protein?Manohar V N Shirodkar
Shirodkar Memorial Research Foundation, Mumbai, Pune, India
Indian J Exp Biol 44:777-82. 2006..Taken together, the available data point to a novel anti-viral cytokine with a novel mechanism of action...
- Reduced folate supply as a key to enhanced L-serine production by Corynebacterium glutamicumMichael Stolz
Institute of Biotechnology, Research Centre Juelich, D 52425 Juelich, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:750-5. 2007..utilization routes prevent overproduction of L-serine, with the essential serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) (glyA) probably occupying a key position...
- Fetal anticonvulsant syndromes and polymorphisms in MTHFR, MTR, and MTRRJohn Dean
Department of Medical Genetics, Clinical Genetics Centre, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet A 143:2303-11. 2007..Case-parent triads were genotyped for polymorphisms in MTHFR, serine hydroxymethyl transferase (SHMT1), methionine synthase (MTR), and methionine synthase reductase (MTRR), and analyzed by log-linear regression...
- Insights into prevention of human neural tube defects by folic acid arising from consideration of mouse mutantsMuriel J Harris
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Coloumbia, Canada
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:331-9. 2009..Among folate-pathway mutants, neural tube closure is normal in Cbs, Folr2, Mthfd1, Mthfd2, Mthfr, and Shmt1 mutants. Embryos die by midgestation in Folr1, Mtr, Mtrr, and RFC1 mutants...
- Characterization of Plasmodium falciparum serine hydroxymethyltransferase-A potential antimalarial targetSomchart Maenpuen
Department of Biochemistry and Center for Excellence in Protein Structure and Function, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama 6 Road, Bangkok, Thailand
Mol Biochem Parasitol 168:63-73. 2009Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) is a ubiquitous enzyme required for folate recycling and dTMP synthesis...
- Variants of folate metabolism genes and risk of left-sided cardiac defectsLaura E Mitchell
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 88:48-53. 2010..Efforts to establish the relationships between these factors and CHD risk have, however, been hampered by a number of factors, including small study sample sizes and phenotypic heterogeneity...
- Preparation of optically active β-hydroxy-α-amino acid by immobilized Escherichia coli cells with serine hydroxymethyl transferase activityGen Hai Zhao
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Science, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, People s Republic of China
Amino Acids 40:215-20. 2011..Using recombinant serine hydroxymethyl transferase (SHMT), an enzymatic resolution process was established...
- Variants in folate pathway genes as modulators of genetic instability and lung cancer riskAmanda L Piskac-Collier
Division of Cancer Prevention, Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 50:1-12. 2011..We observed that interactions between MTHFR677, MTHFR1298, and SHMT polymorphisms may have a significant impact on genetic instability in lung cancer patients...
- Nutrients and genetic variation involved in one-carbon metabolism and Hodgkin lymphoma risk: a population-based case-control studyJulie L Kasperzyk
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Epidemiol 174:816-27. 2011..and Connecticut, 1997-2000), and genetic variation (MTHFR 677C>T, MTHFR 1298A>C, MTR 2756A>G, SHMT1 1420C>T, TYMS 1494del6) and gene-diet interactions in a subset...
- Modulatory effect of plasma folate and polymorphisms in one-carbon metabolism on catecholamine methyltransferase (COMT) H108L associated oxidative DNA damage and breast cancer riskShaik Mohammad Naushad
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Nizam s Institute of Medical Sciences NIMS, Panjagutta, Hyderabad 500082, AP, India
Indian J Biochem Biophys 48:283-9. 2011..The genotype combinations namely, RFC1 G80A/methionine synthase reductase (MTRR) A66G, RFC1 G80A/SHMT C1420T/TYMS 3R2R and serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) C1420T/TYMS 3R2R/methionine synthase (MTR) A2756G/COMT ..
- Genetic polymorphisms in key methotrexate pathway genes are associated with response to treatment in rheumatoid arthritis patientsS A Owen
Arthritis Research UK Epidemiology Unit, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Pharmacogenomics J 13:227-34. 2013..SNPs) spanning 10 methotrexate (MTX) pathway genes, namely AMPD1, ATIC, DHFR, FPGS, GGH, ITPA, MTHFD1, SHMT1, SLC19A1 (RFC) and TYMS on the outcome of MTX treatment in a UK rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patient cohort...
- Isolation and characterization of a c-type lysozyme from the nurse sharkNichole Hinds Vaughan
Department of Biological Sciences, Florida International University, 11200 S W 8th Street, Miami, FL 33199, USA
Fish Shellfish Immunol 35:1824-8. 2013..lysodeikticus cell walls, and inhibition of growth of P. citreus on AU-gel blots in which the area of growth inhibition correlated to a 14 kDa protein...
- Azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis in mice occurs independently of de novo thymidylate synthesis capacityAmanda J MacFarlane
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
J Nutr 144:419-24. 2014..Serine hydroxymethyltransferase 1 (SHMT1) regulates thymidylate (dTMP) biosynthesis and uracil accumulation in DNA, and as such affects genome stability...
- Vitamin B6-dependent enzymes in the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum: a druggable target?Thales Kronenberger
Unit for Drug Discovery, Department of Parasitology, Institute of Biomedical Science, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Professor Lineu Prestes 1374, 05508 000 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Biomed Res Int 2014:108516. 2014..includes the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC, synthesis of polyamines), the aspartate aminotransferase (AspAT, involved in the protein biosynthesis), and the serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT, a key enzyme within the folate metabolism).
- SHMT1 knockdown induces apoptosis in lung cancer cells by causing uracil misincorporationA Paone
Department of Biochemical Sciences, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Cell Death Dis 5:e1525. 2014..in several cancer types and as a hot target for anticancer therapies, the role of the cytoplasmic isoform (SHMT1) in cancerogenesis is currently less defined...
- Genetic variants in one-carbon metabolism genes and breast cancer risk in European American and African American womenZhihong Gong
Department of Cancer Prevention and Control, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
Int J Cancer 137:666-77. 2015..A number of these SNPs, specifically in genes including MTR, MTRR, SHMT1, TYMS and SLC19A1, were associated with overall breast cancer risk, as well as risk by estrogen receptor (ER) ..
- Evolution of threonine aldolases, a diverse family involved in the second pathway of glycine biosynthesisGuangxiu Liu
Key Laboratory of Extreme Environmental Microbial Resources and Engineering, Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou, 730000, China
J Mol Evol 80:102-7. 2015..class of enzymes complements the primary glycine biosynthetic pathway catalyzed by serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT), and was shown to be necessary for yeast glycine auxotrophy...
- Clinical significance of SHMT1 rs1979277 polymorphism in Asian solid tumors: evidence from a meta-analysisT T Zhao
Department of Oncology, Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Genet Mol Res 14:5602-14. 2015Published data regarding the association between the cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT1) C1420T (Leu474Phe) polymorphism and solid tumor risk have shown inconclusive results...
- Patrick J Stover; Fiscal Year: 2016..Recently, we demonstrated that the enzyme cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT) is a metabolic switch that regulates the flux of folate-activated one-carbon units ..
- Homeostatic Regulation of Folate MetabolismPatrick J Stover; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recently, we showed that the enzyme cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT) is a metabolic switch that directs the flux of folate-activated one-carbon units ..
- Patrick J Stover; Fiscal Year: 2016..b>SHMT1 is the only reported folate-dependent enzyme whose disruption results in folate-responsive neural tube defects...
- GENETIC HETEROGENEITY IN HOMOCYSTEINE REMETHYLATIONBarry Shane; Fiscal Year: 2000..MS), methylenetetra-hydrofolate reductase (MTHFR), cytosolic and mitochondrial serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT, mSHMT) and folypolyglutamate synthetase (FPGS) genes...
- ONTOGENY OF FETAL HEPATIC SERINE AND GLYCINE METABOLISMMichael Narkewicz; Fiscal Year: 1999..This metabolic control is regulated by the combined action of serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) and the glycine cleavage enzyme system (GCS)...
- Folate, Vitamin D and Calcium in Colorectal CancerRobert Haile; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our current list of genes of interest includes: serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT1), mehylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR), methionine synthase (MTR), methionine synthase reductase (MTRR), ..
- The mechanism of signal transduction in photoreceptorsHartmut Luecke; Fiscal Year: 2006..5. Determine the crystal structure of the primary Anabaena photoreceptor in the ground and signaling state. 6. Determine the structure of the complex of the Anabaena photoreceptor with its putative transducer. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Understanding the Effect of N-Terminal Acetylation on alpha-Synuclein ToxicityJENNIFER BEIERLEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will provide insight into the cause of alpha-Syn toxicity, aiding structure-based drug design efforts. ..
- VITAMIN B6 ADEQUACY, SMOKING AND DNA DAMAGETerry Shultz; Fiscal Year: 2002..Lymphocyte serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) activity will be analyzed in the presence and absence of excess PLP...
- Folate-Genome Interactions in Colorectal CancerPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Recently, we have demonstrated that the enzyme cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase (cSHMT) is a metabolic switch that directs the flux of folate-activated one-carbon units ..
- REGULATION OF SERINE HYDROXYMETHYLTRANSFERASEPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 1999The metabolic roles of human cytosolic and mitochondrial serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) and the factors that contribute to their gene expression and catalytic activity will be determined using molecular biology techniques...
- EFFECT OF FOLIC ACID AND VITAMIN B6 ON HOMOCYSTEINELAVERNE SCHIRCH; Fiscal Year: 2004..in the cytosol and mitochondria of cells in culture, with special emphasis on serine hydroxmethyltransferase (SHMT); (3) to determine the role of mitochondria in the supply of 1-C groups to the cytosol; and (4) to determine the ..
- Prostate cancer and genes of the one-carbon cycleCharnita Zeigler Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..The genes to be studied in this research include MTHFR, CBS, MS, MSRR, TS, and SHMT. Novel analytical methods, including CART, haplotype analysis, and trimming and weighting, will be explored...
- Mechanisms of HIV Transport Across the BBBWilliam Banks; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- GENE-ENVIRONMENT INTERACTION AND COLON CARCINOGENESISJia Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- POLYMORPHISMS IN PG/COX PATHWAY AND COLORECTAL POLYPSCornelia Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, we plan to develop a model for integrating information on genetic variability at multiple points in this metabolic pathway. ..
- NSAID and COX/PG Metabolism and Colorectal CancerCornelia Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2009..Ultimately, such information on the metabolic variation will be useful in optimizing NSAIDs and NSAID regimens and will allow individual tailoring of chemoprevention. ..
- PTS1 Regulation of Brain Met Enk Levels in AlcoholismWilliam Banks; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A Genome-Wide Association Study of Non-Hodgkin LymphomaChristine F Skibola; Fiscal Year: 2010..The data generated from this study will provide a framework for further investigation within the NHL consortium, InterLymph. Results will later be combined with that from other InterLymph case-control studies in pooled analyses. ..
- Global Gene Expression in Chronic RhinosinusitisDOUGLAS PLAGER; Fiscal Year: 2005..These new molecular approaches should shed light on the mechanisms of CRS and open novel avenues for diagnosis and treatment of this difficult disease. ..
- Prion Transport Across the Blood-Brain BarrierWilliam Banks; Fiscal Year: 2009..To cause disease, prions must cross the blood-brain barrier to enter the brain. We will determine how prions cross the BBB. Knowing how prions enter the brain should lead to strategies on how to prevent prion diseases. ..
- Exercise effects on oxidative damage among womenCornelia Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene-Nutrient Interactions and Breast CancerSUSAN STECK; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Study of Prostaglandin Synthesis/EGFR and Risk of Colorectal NeoplasiaCornelia Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Genetic Etiology of Conotruncal Cardiac DefectsElizabeth Goldmuntz; Fiscal Year: 2007..With this data, the impact of genotype on clinical outcome can be assessed and improved management strategies devised for the future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Modeling Folate, One-Carbon Metabolism & DNA MethylationCornelia Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2007..We plan to make the model generally available to the research community, and anticipate that it will become a useful tool that can be used as an adjunct to experimental investigations and as an aid to study design. ..
- Folate Polymorphisms, Dietary Folate and Prostate CancerVictoria Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study are expected to indicate the importance of folate for prostate cancer and whether changing folate consumption can modify the risk associated with genetic variants in the pathway for folate metabolism. ..
- Opiate Addiction and HIV-1 Induced Release of CytokinesWilliam Banks; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Prostaglandin Synthesis, Genetics and Colorectal CancerCornelia M Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2010..They will also advance tailoring of chemoprevention in a way that maximizes benefit and minimizes toxicity. ..
- The Genetic Etiology of Left-Sided Cardiac DefectsElizabeth Goldmuntz; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, these investigations will lead to future studies that assess the relationship of genotype to clinical outcome, and allow us to improve upon our clinical management accordingly. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dietary Methyl Content, Epigenetics and Breast CancerJia Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..To identify the factors that determine the patterns of methylation can provide evidence for the mechanisms of the disease as well as identify at-risk populations in which appropriate diet-based intervention can be provided. ..