Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: serotonin transporter
Description: solute carrier family 6 member 4
Alias: 5-HTT, 5-HTTLPR, 5HTT, HTT, OCD1, SERT, SERT1, hSERT, sodium-dependent serotonin transporter, 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) transporter, 5HT transporter, Na+/Cl- dependent serotonin transporter, serotonin transporter 1, solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter), member 4, solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter, serotonin), member 4
Publications379 found, 100 shown here
- Amygdala-prefrontal coupling depends on a genetic variation of the serotonin transporterAndreas Heinz
Department of Psychiatry, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Schumannstr 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Nat Neurosci 8:20-1. 2005Major depression is conditionally linked to a polymorphism of the human serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4)...
- Peripheral SLC6A4 DNA methylation is associated with in vivo measures of human brain serotonin synthesis and childhood physical aggressionDongsha Wang
Sainte Justine Hospital Research Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e39501. 2012..This supports the relevance of peripheral DNA methylation for brain function and suggests that peripheral SLC6A4 DNA methylation could be a marker of central 5-HT function...
- A susceptibility gene for affective disorders and the response of the human amygdalaAhmad R Hariri
Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:146-52. 2005A common regulatory variant (5-HTTLPR) in the human serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4), resulting in altered transcription and transporter availability, has been associated with vulnerability for affective disorders, including anxiety ..
- Influence of life stress on depression: moderation by a polymorphism in the 5-HTT geneAvshalom Caspi
Medical Research Council Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, PO80 De Crespigny Park, London, SE5 8AF, UK
Science 301:386-9. 2003..A functional polymorphism in the promoter region of the serotonin transporter (5-HT T) gene was found to moderate the influence of stressful life events on depression...
- The serotonin transporter gene-linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) and cortisol stress reactivity: a meta-analysisR Miller
Department of Psychology, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Mol Psychiatry 18:1018-24. 2013Recent meta-analyses have stimulated an active debate on whether the serotonin transporter gene-linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) is associated with an elevated vulnerability to psychiatric diseases upon exposure to environmental ..
- Meta-analysis of the association between a serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) and anxiety-related personality traitsSrijan Sen
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 127:85-9. 2004..At least 26 studies have investigated a putative association between a functional serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) and anxiety-related personality traits...
- Genetic sensitivity to the environment: the case of the serotonin transporter gene and its implications for studying complex diseases and traitsAvshalom Caspi
Department of Psychology, and Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Am J Psychiatry 167:509-27. 2010..review research about one of the most extensive areas of inquiry: variation in the promoter region of the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4; also known as 5-HTT) and its contribution to stress sensitivity...
- The effect of the serotonin transporter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) on amygdala function: a meta-analysisS E Murphy
Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Mol Psychiatry 18:512-20. 2013....
- Association of SLC6A4 methylation with early adversity, characteristics and outcomes in depressionHee Ju Kang
Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Depression Research Centre, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Republic of Korea
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 44:23-8. 2013..In 108 patients with major depressive disorders, the methylation status in the promoter of gene encoding serotonin transporter (SLC6A4) was measured...
- Frontal-limbic white matter pathway associations with the serotonin transporter gene promoter region (5-HTTLPR) polymorphismJennifer Pacheco
Department of Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Neurosci 29:6229-33. 2009Variation in the serotonin transporter gene-linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) has been associated with heightened neural activity in limbic and prefrontal regions in response to emotional stimuli...
- Simultaneous genotyping of four functional loci of human SLC6A4, with a reappraisal of 5-HTTLPR and rs25531J R Wendland
Mol Psychiatry 11:224-6. 2006
- Association of the serotonin transporter gene promoter region (5-HTTLPR) polymorphism with biased attention for emotional stimuliChristopher G Beevers
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 118:670-81. 2009A deletion polymorphism in the serotonin transporter-linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) has been associated with vulnerability to affective disorders, yet the mechanism by which this gene confers vulnerability remains unclear...
- 5-HTTLPR polymorphism impacts human cingulate-amygdala interactions: a genetic susceptibility mechanism for depressionLukas Pezawas
Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive 4S235, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1379, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:828-34. 2005Carriers of the short allele of a functional 5' promoter polymorphism of the serotonin transporter gene have increased anxiety-related temperamental traits, increased amygdala reactivity and elevated risk of depression...
- The relationship of 5HTT (SLC6A4) methylation and genotype on mRNA expression and liability to major depression and alcohol dependence in subjects from the Iowa Adoption StudiesRobert A Philibert
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:543-9. 2008b>Serotonin Transporter (5HTT or SLC6A4) mRNA transcription is regulated by both genetic and epigenetic mechanisms...
- Interactive effect of stressful life events and the serotonin transporter 5-HTTLPR genotype on posttraumatic stress disorder diagnosis in 2 independent populationsPingxing Xie
Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:1201-9. 2009The 5-HTTLPR polymorphism in the promoter region of the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) has been found to moderate several categories of emotional response after stressful life events...
- Increased serotonin transporter gene (SERT) DNA methylation is associated with bullying victimization and blunted cortisol response to stress in childhood: a longitudinal study of discordant monozygotic twinsI Ouellet-Morin
MRC Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Psychol Med 43:1813-23. 2013..Method We tested whether bullying victimization influenced serotonin transporter gene (SERT) DNA methylation using a discordant monozygotic (MZ) twin design...
- 5-HTT genotype effect on prefrontal-amygdala coupling differs between major depression and controlsEva Friedel
Department of Psychiatry, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 205:261-71. 2009..This prefrontal-limbic interaction has been shown to be modulated by serotonin (5-HTT) genotype, indicating a higher risk for major depressive disorder (MDD) with increasing number of 5-HTT low-..
- Serotonin transporter genotype (5-HTTLPR): effects of neutral and undefined conditions on amygdala activationAndreas Heinz
Department of Psychiatry, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 61:1011-4. 2007A polymorphism of the human serotonin transporter gene (SCL6A4) has been associated with serotonin transporter expression and with processing of aversive stimuli in the amygdala...
- Combinatorial interaction between two human serotonin transporter gene variable number tandem repeats and their regulation by CTCFFahad R Ali
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
J Neurochem 112:296-306. 2010Two distinct variable number tandem repeats (VNTRs) within the human serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) have been implicated as predisposing factors for CNS disorders...
- The serotonin transporter gene and risk for alcohol dependence: a meta-analytic reviewR Kathryn McHugh
Department of Psychology, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 108:1-6. 2010Previous studies have implicated a relationship between particular allelic variations of the serotonin transporter gene (5HTTLPR) and alcohol dependence...
- Association of the 5- HTTLPR genotype and unipolar depression: a meta-analysisH Clarke
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, UK
Psychol Med 40:1767-78. 2010..We sought to ascertain the strength of evidence for association between the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism and unipolar depression...
- Neural and behavioral responses to threatening emotion faces in children as a function of the short allele of the serotonin transporter geneMoriah E Thomason
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Biol Psychol 85:38-44. 2010Recent evidence suggests that a genetic polymorphism in the promoter region (5-HTTLPR) of the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) mediates stress reactivity in adults...
- The serotonin transporter gene polymorphism and the effect of baseline on amygdala response to emotional facesElisabeth A H von dem Hagen
MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge, UK
Neuropsychologia 49:674-80. 2011Previous research has found that a common polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR) is an important mediator of individual differences in brain responses associated with emotional behaviour...
- The interaction of stressful life events and a serotonin transporter polymorphism in the prediction of episodes of major depression: a replicationKenneth S Kendler
Virginia Institute for Psychiatry and Behavioral Genetics, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:529-35. 2005..Prior evidence from twin studies suggested genetic moderation of the depressogenic effects of stressful life events (SLEs). Can the specific genes involved in this effect be identified?..
- Emotion specific modulation of automatic amygdala responses by 5-HTTLPR genotypeUdo Dannlowski
Department of Psychiatry, University of Munster, Albert Schweitzer Str 11, 48149 Munster, Germany
Neuroimage 53:893-8. 2010A functional polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR) has been reported to modulate amygdala responsiveness to negative environmental cues...
- Gender difference in association between polymorphism of serotonin transporter gene regulatory region and anxietyTomoko Mizuno
Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
J Psychosom Res 60:91-7. 2006The objective of this study was to verify the hypothesis that variation of the serotonin transporter gene promoter region (5-HTTLPR) is associated with sensitivity to stress.
- Oxytocin receptor (OXTR) and serotonin transporter (5-HTT) genes associated with observed parentingMarian J Bakermans-Kranenburg
Centre for Child and Family Studies, Leiden University, PO Box 9555, NL 2300 RB Leiden, The Netherlands
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 3:128-34. 2008..We examined the role of serotonin transporter (5-HTT) and oxytocin receptor (OXTR) genes in explaining differences in sensitive parenting in a community ..
- Methylation matters: interaction between methylation density and serotonin transporter genotype predicts unresolved loss or traumaMarinus H van IJzendoorn
Centre for Child and Family Studies, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 68:405-7. 2010..Do genetic or epigenetic factors play a role in making some individuals more vulnerable than others to loss of attachment figures or other traumatic experiences?..
- A meta-analysis of the association between the serotonin transporter gene polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) and trait anxietyJ A Schinka
Veteran s Administration Medical Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Mol Psychiatry 9:197-202. 2004Studies of the association between polymorphisms of the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTT) and trait anxiety have produced inconsistent results, raising questions about the strength of the relationship and the methodological conditions ..
- Meta-analysis of serotonin transporter polymorphisms and affective disordersFrancis E Lotrich
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Psychiatr Genet 14:121-9. 2004Polymorphisms in the promoter region (5-HTTLPR) of the serotonin transporter and a variable number of tandem repeats polymorphism in the second intron have been widely studied...
- 5-HTTLPR biases amygdala activity in response to masked facial expressions in major depressionUdo Dannlowski
1 1Department of Psychiatry, University of Munster, Munster, Germany 2 2IZKF Research Group 4, IZKF Münster, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:418-24. 2008..amygdala activity during conscious emotion processing is modulated by a functional polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR) in healthy subjects...
- Looking on the bright side: biased attention and the human serotonin transporter geneElaine Fox
Department of Psychology, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
Proc Biol Sci 276:1747-51. 2009..Here we show for the first time that allelic variation in the promotor region of the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR) is associated with differential biases for positive and negative affective pictures...
- Genetic contributions of the serotonin transporter to social learning of fear and economic decision makingLiviu G Crişan
Department of Psychology, Babes Bolyai University, 400015 Cluj Napoca, Romania
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 4:399-408. 2009..the effects of a functional polymorphism in the regulatory region (5-HTTLPR) of the human 5-HT transporter (5-HTT) gene on observational FC, risk taking and susceptibility to framing in decision making under uncertainty, as well ..
- Preliminary evidence of the short allele of the serotonin transporter gene predicting poor response to cognitive behavior therapy in posttraumatic stress disorderRichard A Bryant
School of Psychology, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Biol Psychiatry 67:1217-9. 2010This study was intended to assess the extent to which the low-expression alleles of the serotonin transporter gene promoter predict poor response to cognitive behavior therapy in patients with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Beyond affect: a role for genetic variation of the serotonin transporter in neural activation during a cognitive attention taskTurhan Canli
Department of Psychology and Graduate Program in Genetics, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 2500, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:12224-9. 2005..within the repetitive sequence in the transcriptional control region of the serotonin (5-HT) transporter gene (5-HTT, SLC6A4) in modulating amygdala and prefrontal activation to negative emotional stimuli...
- 5-HTTLPR genotype and anxiety-related personality traits: a meta-analysis and new dataMarcus R Munafo
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 150:271-81. 2009..There remains the possibility that the variant influences the NEO personality questionnaire measure of Neuroticism. However, a large, well-powered primary study is required to test this hypothesis directly and adequately...
- Reduced hippocampal volumes associated with the long variant of the serotonin transporter polymorphism in major depressionThomas Frodl
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:177-83. 2004Substantial evidence supports a role for dysfunction of the serotonin transporter in the pathogenesis of major depression...
- Serotonin transporter polymorphism, memory and hippocampal volume in the elderly: association and interaction with cortisolR O'HARA
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5550, USA
Mol Psychiatry 12:544-55. 2007The s allele variant of the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTT) has recently been observed to moderate the relationship of stress to depression and anxiety...
- [Study on the correlation of the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism with premature ejaculation in Han Chinese population]Shun wen Luo
Department of Urology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 43:514-8. 2011..To investigate the relationship between 5-HT transporter gene-linked polymorphism (5-HTTPLR) and the clinical characters of premature ejaculation in Han Chinese population...
- The 5-HTTLPR polymorphism modulates the influence on environmental stressors on peripartum depression symptomsDivya Mehta
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
J Affect Disord 136:1192-7. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of stressful life events in combination with the serotonin transporter gene 5-HTTLPR polymorphism on peripartum depressive symptoms.
- Effects of genetic and early environmental risk factors for depression on serotonin transporter expression and methylation profilesM Wankerl
Department of Biopsychology, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Transl Psychiatry 4:e402. 2014The serotonin transporter (SERT) gene-linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) has been implicated in moderating the link between life stress and depression...
- The relationship between combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder and the 5-HTTLPR/rs25531 polymorphismZhewu Wang
Ralph H Johnson VA Medical Center, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Depress Anxiety 28:1067-73. 2011..The serotonin transporter (5-HTT) gene (SLC6A4) has been identified as a prime candidate for the development of the disorder, as 5-..
- Amygdala response to smoking-cessation messages mediates the effects of serotonin transporter gene variation on quittingAgnes J Jasinska
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neuroimage 60:766-73. 2012..We further show that the amygdala response is modulated by genetic variation in the serotonin transporter and mediates the impact of this genetic variation on quitting...
- Antidepressant- and cocaine-sensitive human serotonin transporter: molecular cloning, expression, and chromosomal localizationS Ramamoorthy
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912 2100
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:2542-6. 1993..The brain 5HT transporter appears to be a principal site of action of therapeutic antidepressants and may mediate behavioral and/or ..
- Serotonin transporter gene variation and stressful life events impact processing of fear and anxietyDiana Armbruster
Institute of Psychology II, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:393-401. 2009Genetic variation of the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) has been associated with fear- and anxiety-related behaviours...
- Short allele of 5-HTTLPR as a risk factor for the development of psychosis in Japanese methamphetamine abusersNorikazu Ezaki
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1139:49-56. 2008..Our PET studies revealed that the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) density in global brain regions is significantly lower in MAP abusers...
- Genotype over-diagnosis in amygdala responsiveness: affective processing in social anxiety disorderTomas Furmark
Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Psychiatry Neurosci 34:30-40. 2009..We investigated the influence of these polymorphisms on amygdala responsiveness to angry faces in patients with social anxiety disorder (SAD) compared with healthy controls...
- Impact of serotonin transporter gene polymorphism on brain activation by colorectal distentionS Fukudo
Department of Behavioral Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Neuroimage 47:946-51. 2009..The amygdala is more activated during fearful face recognition in individuals with the s allele of 5-HTTLPR. Here, we tested our hypothesis that 5-HTTLPR differentially activates brain regions with colorectal distention in humans...
- Serotonin transporter gene, depressive symptoms, and interleukin-6Shaoyong Su
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2:614-20. 2009We explored the relationship of genetic variants of the serotonin transporter gene SLC6A4, a key regulator of the serotonergic neurotransmission, with both depressive symptoms and plasma interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels.
- Interactive effects of corticotropin releasing hormone receptor 1, serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region, and child maltreatment on diurnal cortisol regulation and internalizing symptomatologyDante Cicchetti
Mt Hope Family Center, University of Rochester, NY, USA
Dev Psychopathol 23:1125-38. 2011..Variation in the corticotropin releasing hormone receptor 1 (CRHR1) TAT haplotype and serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) was determined in a sample of maltreated (n = 238, 21...
- Association study of serotonin transporter gene polymorphisms with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in Chinese Han populationWeihua Yue
Mental Health Institute, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, PR China
Sleep 31:1535-41. 2008Since the serotonin (5-HT) is associated with circadian rhythm and breathing regulation, the serotonin transporter (5-HTT), which plays an important role in serotoninergic transmission, might be a strong candidate gene in the ..
- 5-HTTLPR and STin2 polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter gene and irritable bowel syndrome: effect of bowel habit and sexBeate Niesler
Department of Human Molecular Genetics, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:856-61. 2010Conflicting data exist on the association between functional polymorphisms in the serotonin reuptake transporter (SERT) gene (SLC6A4) and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)...
- Association of the serotonin transporter promoter region polymorphism with biased attention for negative word stimuliTracy Kwang
University of Texas at Austin, 78712 0187, USA
Depress Anxiety 27:746-51. 2010..Biased attention for emotional stimuli reflects vulnerability or resilience to emotional disorders. The current study examines whether the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism is associated with attentional biases for negative word stimuli...
- Early adversity and 5-HTT/BDNF genes: new evidence of gene-environment interactions on depressive symptoms in a general populationM Aguilera
Unitat d Antropologia, Departament Biologia Animal, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona and CIBER de Salud Mental, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Spain
Psychol Med 39:1425-32. 2009..b>Serotonin transporter (5-HTT) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) modulate the effect of childhood adversity on adult ..
- Gene-environment interactions predict cortisol responses after acute stress: implications for the etiology of depressionNina Alexander
Center for Psychobiology and Behavioral Medicine, University of Giessen, Department of Psychology, FRG, Otto Behaghel Str 10, D 35394 Giessen, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 34:1294-303. 2009Growing evidence suggests that the serotonin transporter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) interacts with adverse environmental influences to produce an increased risk for the development of depression while the underlying mechanisms of this ..
- Polymorphism of the 5-HT transporter and response to antidepressants: randomised controlled trialGlyn Lewis
School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, UK
Br J Psychiatry 198:464-71. 2011..We wished to investigate whether genetic variation could be used to target or personalise treatment, in a comparison of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) with noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (NARIs)...
- Serotonin transporter gene moderates childhood maltreatment's effects on persistent but not single-episode depression: replications and implications for resolving inconsistent resultsRudolf Uher
Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
J Affect Disord 135:56-65. 2011....
- Meta-analysis reveals association between serotonin transporter gene STin2 VNTR polymorphism and schizophreniaJ B Fan
Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit, Center for Human Genetics Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, and Program in Medical and Population Genetics, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, MA, USA
Mol Psychiatry 10:928-38, 891. 2005The serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) is a candidate gene for schizophrenia based on serotonin transporter's crucial role in serotonergic neurotransmission...
- Genetic variation in serotonin transporter alters resting brain function in healthy individualsHengyi Rao
Center for Functional Neuroimaging, Department of Neurology and Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:600-6. 2007Perfusion functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) was used to investigate the effect of genetic variation of the human serotonin transporter (5-HTT) gene (5-HTTLPR, SLC6A4) on resting brain function of healthy individuals.
- Genetic determinants of financial risk takingCamelia M Kuhnen
Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e4362. 2009..DRD4 7-repeat allele carriers take 25% more risk than individuals without the 7-repeat allele. These findings contribute to the emerging literature on the genetic determinants of economic behavior...
- Serotonin transporter polymorphisms (SLC6A4 insertion/deletion and rs25531) do not affect the availability of 5-HTT to [11C] DASB binding in the living human brainN V Murthy
Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Neuroimage 52:50-4. 2010Studies in vitro suggest that the expression of the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) is regulated by polymorphic variation in the promoter region of the 5-HTT gene (5-HTTLPR); however, results from human brain imaging studies examining the ..
- Polymorphism in serotonin transporter gene associated with susceptibility to major depressionA D Ogilvie
Medical Research Council, Brain Metabolism Unit, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Lancet 347:731-3. 1996BACKGROUND; The serotonin transporter of the brain provides the primary target for the action of selective antidepressant drugs...
- The power of sample size and homogenous sampling: association between the 5-HTTLPR serotonin transporter polymorphism and major depressive disorderBarbara Hoefgen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Bonn, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 57:247-51. 2005..A 44-base-pair insertion/deletion polymorphism in the 5' regulatory region of the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR), which influences expression of the serotonin transporter, has been the focus of intensive ..
- A study of candidate genotypes associated with dyspepsia in a U.S. communityChristopher E Camilleri
Gastroenterology Research Unit, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:581-92. 2006..The role of genetic predisposition to the development of dyspepsia is unclear. Recently, a significant association was reported with CC genotype of GNbeta3...
- Interactions of child maltreatment and serotonin transporter and monoamine oxidase A polymorphisms: depressive symptomatology among adolescents from low socioeconomic status backgroundsDante Cicchetti
Institute of Child Development and Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, 51 East River Road, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev Psychopathol 19:1161-80. 2007Child maltreatment and polymorphisms of the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) and monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) genes were examined in relation to depressive symptomatology. Adolescents (M age = 16...
- Candidate gene studies of ADHD: a meta-analytic reviewIan R Gizer
Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 120 Mason Farm Road, Room 5015 Genetic Medicine Building CB 7264, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7264, USA
Hum Genet 126:51-90. 2009..Significant associations were identified for several candidate genes including DAT1, DRD4, DRD5, 5HTT, HTR1B, and SNAP25...
- AVPR1a and SLC6A4 gene polymorphisms are associated with creative dance performanceRachel Bachner-Melman
Department of Psychology, Mount Scopus, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
PLoS Genet 1:e42. 2005..In the current study, 85 current performing dancers and their parents were genotyped for the serotonin transporter (SLC6A4: promoter region HTTLPR and intron 2 VNTR) and the arginine vasopressin receptor 1a (AVPR1a: ..
- Serotonin transporter mRNA levels are associated with the methylation of an upstream CpG islandRobert Philibert
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Iowa, Psychiatry Research MEB, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:101-5. 2007The serotonin reuptake transporter (5HTT) is thought to be the principal regulator of serotonergic activity and epigenetic effects at this locus are thought to be important moderators of vulnerability to neuropsychiatric illness...
- Serotonin transporter promoter region (5-HTTLPR) polymorphism is associated with the intravaginal ejaculation latency time in Dutch men with lifelong premature ejaculationPaddy K C Janssen
Section of Psychopharmacology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neurosciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Sex Med 6:276-84. 2009....
- Genetic variation in the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR, rs25531) influences the analgesic response to the short acting opioid Remifentanil in humansEva Kosek
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Stockholm Brain Institute, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
Mol Pain 5:37. 2009..The serotonin transporter (5-HTT) is a key regulator of serotonin metabolism and availability and its gene harbors several known ..
- Prospects for epigenetic research within cohort studies of psychological disorder: a pilot investigation of a peripheral cell marker of epigenetic risk for depressionC A Olsson
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Parkville 3052 Victoria, Australia
Biol Psychol 83:159-65. 2010..Epigenotyping was limited to promoter methylation of the serotonin transporter gene (5HTT). A transcription limiting VNTR in the 5HTT promoter (5HTTLPR) was also genotyped...
- Childhood stress, serotonin transporter gene and brain structures in major depressionThomas Frodl
Department of Psychiatry, Institute of Neuroscience, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:1383-90. 2010..hippocampal volumes and other brain alterations are associated with the tri-allelic polymorphism of the serotonin transporter and childhood stress in patients with MD and healthy subjects...
- Serotonin transporter (5-HTTLPR) genotype and amygdala activation: a meta-analysisMarcus R Munafo
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 63:852-7. 2008We evaluated the magnitude of the reported associations between amygdala activation and the serotonin transporter gene linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) and the likely effect size of this relationship.
- Stop signal response inhibition is not modulated by tryptophan depletion or the serotonin transporter polymorphism in healthy volunteers: implications for the 5-HT theory of impulsivityL Clark
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, and Department of Medical Genetics, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 182:570-8. 2005..Reduced serotonin neurotransmission is implicated in disorders of impulse control, but the involvement of serotonin in inhibitory processes in healthy human subjects remains unclear...
- Association of serotonin transporter genotype with selective processing of smoking-related stimuli in current smokers and ex-smokersMarcus R Munafo
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Nicotine Tob Res 7:773-8. 2005We sought to determine whether polymorphism in the serotonin transporter (5HTT) gene is associated with attentional bias toward smoking-related stimuli in current smokers and ex-smokers, using a modified Stroop task and an attentional ..
- Association of a serotonin transporter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) with depression, perceived stress, and norepinephrine in patients with coronary disease: the Heart and Soul StudyChristian Otte
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Am J Psychiatry 164:1379-84. 2007The short allele of a functional polymorphism in the promoter region of the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR) has been shown to interact with stressful life events to predict depression in otherwise healthy individuals...
- Interaction between 5-HTTLPR and BDNF Val66Met polymorphisms on HPA axis reactivity in preschoolersLea R Dougherty
Department of Psychology, Stony Brook University, NY, United States
Biol Psychol 83:93-100. 2010This study examined whether the interaction between the serotonin transporter promoter region (5-HTTLPR) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) Val66Met polymorphisms was associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis ..
- Serotonin transporter gene polymorphism may be associated with functional dyspepsia in a Japanese populationFumihiko Toyoshima
Division of Upper Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
BMC Med Genet 12:88. 2011..In the present study, the association between serotonin transporter (SERT) gene (SLC6A4) polymorphism and FD was explored.
- Neural mechanisms underlying 5-HTTLPR-related sensitivity to acute stressEmily M Drabant
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Am J Psychiatry 169:397-405. 2012....
- Serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) polymorphism in patients with irritable bowel syndrome and healthy controlsSunil Kumar
Department of Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science, Lucknow 226014, UP, India
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 21:31-8. 2012Polymorphisms in serotonin re-uptake transporter (SERT or SLC6A4) gene may play role in disturbance in gut function in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)...
- A reassessment of the possible effects of the serotonin transporter gene linked polymorphism 5-HTTLPR on premature ejaculationPatrick Jern
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
Arch Sex Behav 42:45-9. 2013....
- Association study of serotonin transporter availability and SLC6A4 gene polymorphisms in patients with major depressionPei Shen Ho
Department of Psychiatry, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Psychiatry Res 212:216-22. 2013The serotonin transporter (SERT) is hypothesized to be an important component of the pathophysiology of major depression (MD)...
- A serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) polymorphism is associated with reduced risk of irritable bowel syndrome in American and Asian population: a meta-analysisMohammed Y Areeshi
Department of Medical Microbiology, College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Jazan University, Jazan, Saudi Arabia
PLoS ONE 8:e75567. 2013Association studies of serotonin transporter gene SLC6A4 I/S polymorphism and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) have shown inconsistent and contradictory results among different populations...
- Ionic currents in the human serotonin transporter reveal inconsistencies in the alternating access hypothesisScott V Adams
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Biophys J 85:1548-59. 2003We have investigated the conduction states of human serotonin transporter (hSERT) using the voltage clamp, cut-open frog oocyte method under different internal and external ionic conditions...
- Association of serotonin transporter gene polymorphism with obstructive sleep apnea syndromeMetin Ylmaz
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Laryngoscope 115:832-6. 2005..The synaptic 5-hydroxytryptamine (HT) is inactivated by presynaptic reuptake, which is mediated by the serotonin transporter. Blockage of the serotonin transporter leads to increased extracellular 5-HT...
- Association study of serotonin 2A receptor (5-HT2A) and serotonin transporter (5-HTT) gene polymorphisms with schizophreniaPilar A Saiz
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Oviedo, Julián Clavería 6 3 degrees, 33006 Oviedo, Spain
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:741-5. 2007..i) the association between four serotonergic polymorphisms (A-1438G and T102C of the 5-HT2A receptor gene, and 5-HTT VNTR and 5-HTTLPR of the 5-HT transporter gene) and schizophrenia and (ii) the potential interaction of those ..
- Elevated serotonin transporter binding in major depressive disorder assessed using positron emission tomography and [11C]DASB; comparison with bipolar disorderDara M Cannon
Molecular Imaging Branch, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:870-7. 2007..The current study compared serotonin transporter (5-HTT) binding between unipolar-depressives (MDD), bipolar-depressives (BD) and healthy-controls (HC) to ..
- Candidate genes and sensory functions in health and irritable bowel syndromeMichael Camilleri
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research C E N T E R, Mayo Clinic, Charlton 8 110, 200 1st St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G219-25. 2008....
- The influence of 5-HTTLPR and STin2 polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter gene on treatment effect of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in depressive patientsKim M Smits
Department of Epidemiology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Psychiatr Genet 18:184-90. 2008b>Serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) variations have been proposed as an explanation for interindividual differences in selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) effects...
- 5-HTTLPR genotype influences amygdala volumeHarald Scherk
AMEOS Klinikum Osnabrück, Knollstr 31, 49088, Osnabruck, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 259:212-7. 2009....
- The serotonin transporter is an exclusive client of the coat protein complex II (COPII) component SEC24CSonja Sucic
Institute of Pharmacology, Center of Physiology and Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 286:16482-90. 2011The transporters for serotonin (SERT), dopamine, and noradrenaline have a conserved hydrophobic core but divergent N and C termini...
- Serotonin transporter and G protein beta 3 subunit gene polymorphisms in Greeks with irritable bowel syndromeT Markoutsaki
2nd Department of Gastroenterology, Evangelismos General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Dig Dis Sci 56:3276-80. 2011Polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter (SERT) and G protein β3 subunit (GNB3) genes might contribute to the pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)...
- No effect of 5HTTLPR or BDNF Val66Met polymorphism on hippocampal morphology in major depressionJ Cole
MRC Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Genes Brain Behav 10:756-64. 2011..Imaging genetics studies have investigated the influence of the serotonin transporter-linked polymorphic region (5HTTLPR) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) Val66Met polymorphism on ..
- Interaction of serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region and childhood neglect on criminal behavior and substance use for males and femalesJamie Vaske
Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Western Carolina University, 410 A Belk, Cullowhee, NC 28723, USA
Dev Psychopathol 24:181-93. 2012..The current study investigates whether a genetic variant (serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region [5-HTTLPR]) in the 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HTT) gene moderates the effect of ..
- No difference in 5-HTTLPR and Stin2 polymorphisms frequency between premature ejaculation patients and controlsDaniela Zuccarello
Department of Histology, Microbiology and Medical Biotechnologies, Section of Clinical Pathology and Centre for Male Gamete Cryopreservation, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Sex Med 9:1659-68. 2012..Recently, genetic polymorphisms located on SLC6A4 gene codifying for 5-HT transporter (5-HTT or serotonin transporter [SERT]), the major regulator of serotonergic neurotransmission, have been linked with the pathogenesis of ..
- BDNF Val66Met is associated with introversion and interacts with 5-HTTLPR to influence neuroticismAntonio Terracciano
National Institute on Aging, NIH, DHHS, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:1083-9. 2010..Finally, on the basis of recent reports of an epistatic effect between BDNF and the serotonin transporter, we explored a Val66Met x 5-HTTLPR interaction in a larger SardiNIA sample (n=2333)...
- Social constraints, genetic vulnerability, and mental health following collective stressE Alison Holman
Programin Nursing Science, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
J Trauma Stress 24:497-505. 2011..Constraints on disclosing fears about future terrorism moderate the 5-HTTLPR genotype-PTS symptom association even when indirectly exposed to collective stress...
- Serotonin transporter gene variation is a risk factor for sudden infant death syndrome in the Japanese populationN Narita
Department of Pediatrics, Dokkyo University, School of Medicine, Koshigaya Hospital, Saitama, Japan
Pediatrics 107:690-2. 2001..Variations in the promoter region of the 5-HT transporter (5-HTT) gene have been shown to potentially regulate 5-HT activity in the brain...
- Perceived parenting behavior in the childhood of cocaine users: relationship with genotype and personality traitsG Gerra
Centro Studi Farmaco tossicodipendenze, Ser T, AUSL, Parma, Italy
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:52-7. 2007..In the present study, parents care perception, aggressive personality traits, and genotype (serotonin transporter promoter gene--5-HTTLPR) have been investigated in cocaine users and healthy control subjects...
- A genetic association study of 5-HTT LPR and GNbeta3 C825T polymorphisms with irritable bowel syndromeY A Saito
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:465-70. 2007A pharmacogenetic study suggests the 5-HTT LPR polymorphism predicts response to alosetron, and another study describes a possible association of the GNbeta3 C825T polymorphism with IBS in patients with dyspepsia...
- Amygdala function and 5-HTT gene variants in adolescent anxiety and major depressive disorderJennifer Y F Lau
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 65:349-55. 2009Associations between a functional polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene and amygdala activation have been found in healthy, depressed, and anxious adults...
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Elaine L Bearer; Fiscal Year: 2016..Genetic studies show an association with polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter (SERT, 5-HTT) gene with risk of affective disorders including PTSD...
- Developmental effects of 5-HTT genotype on stress reactivity and brain functionMoriah E Thomason; Fiscal Year: 2010..Despite the successful characterization of the brain phenotype associated with the allele structure of the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) gene (SLC6A4) in adults, little is known about the developmental emergence of these phenotypes or ..
- Antidepressant Therapy for Functional DyspepsiaYURI ANN SAITO LOFTUS; Fiscal Year: 2011..3) The serotonin transporter long homozygous polymorphism will predict a significantly poorer symptom response to escitalopram and ..
- Nelly Alia-Klein; Fiscal Year: 2014..Other monoamine regulators, such as catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) and the serotonin transporter (5-HTT), together with MAO A, are also implicated as neurochemical markers in the study and treatment of ..
- Drug Abuse-related Neurobiology and Genetic Variance Modeled in Rhesus MonkeysGREGORY MICHAEL MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will systematically uncover functionally comparable polymorphisms in rhesus monkey serotonin transporter (SERT), tryptophan hydroxylase 2 (TPH2) and monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) genes, and assess genotype/..
- Ming D Li; Fiscal Year: 2016..was efficacious in reducing drinking among individuals homozygous for the L allele of the 52-HTTLPR in the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4), an effect that was enhanced in individuals who were T homozygotes for the 32-UTR SNP (..
- Unraveling the Genetic Etiology of AutismJames S Sutcliffe; Fiscal Year: 2010..The 5-HT transporter (SERT) and 5-HT1A receptor are lynchpins in the control of serotonin concentration and function in the CMS, and emerging ..
- Helen M Pettinati; Fiscal Year: 2016..was efficacious in reducing drinking among individuals homozygous for the L allele of the 52-HTTLPR in the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4), an effect that was enhanced in individuals who were T homozygotes for the 32-UTR SNP (..
- [F-18]Mefway PET to measure 5-HT1A receptors in gene x environment interactionsBRADLEY CHRISTIAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Particularly, to examine if carriers with a short variation of the gene for encoding the serotonin transporter are more profoundly affected by prenatal stress than those with long gene variation...
- Maternal flu infection and brain development in primatesChristopher L Coe; Fiscal Year: 2010..The emphasis of the new aim is on this polymorphism in the promoter region of the serotonin transporter gene, but as a part of the supplement effort, we will extract and archive DNA for all study animals, to ..
- Chamindi Seneviratne; Fiscal Year: 2016..The scientific goal of the K23 application is to develop a novel genomic biomarker combination (Serotonin transporter gene (SERT) mRNA expression levels in 5'-HTTLPR-LL genotype carriers) for quantitatively predict ..
- Huong Q Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2014..serotonin which is involved in the pathophysiology of affective disorders is regulated by the serotonin transporter (SERT) that controls reuptake of serotonin at brain synapses...
- A NURSING STUDY OF GUT FUNCTION IN MENSTRUATING WOMENMargaret McLean Heitkemper; Fiscal Year: 2013..Psychological distress, the autonomic nervous system and serotonin transporter protein polymorphisms may serve as biomarkers of symptom type and severity in women with IBS...
- Hot Flushes and SNPs of the Norepinephrine and Serotonin Transporter GenesISTVAN JOZSEF MERCHENTHALER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our hypothesis is that the heterogenouos response is due to single nucleotide polymorphisms of the serotonin transporter (SERT) and/or the norepinephrine transporter (NET) genes...
- In Vivo Detection of Neuronal ActivityRussell E Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2010..DTI in: C57BL/6J mice to determine normal anatomy and activity; dopamine (DAT), norepinephrine (NET) and serotonin transporter (SERT) knockouts; dopamine D1 a and D2 receptor knockouts; catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) knockout...
- Effects of SLC6A4, BDNF and Ecstasy Use on Brain Structure in Young AdultsKrista Lisdahl Medina; Fiscal Year: 2010..sequelae is individual variation in baseline serotonin functioning, caused in part by polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4), which is associated with serotonin signaling and serotonin-related diseases...
- Behavioral Toxicity of Chronic Alcohol Drinking in Peri-Adolescent MonkeysMichael A Taffe; Fiscal Year: 2012..which are impaired by chronic oral alcohol intake;contributions of impulsivity, alcohol preference and serotonin transporter genotype to behavioral change;and the cognitive and behavioral effects of withdrawal from chronic alcohol ..
- Dysfunctional Cortico-Limbic Activity and Connectivity in Bipolar Disorder and LiAmit Anand; Fiscal Year: 2010..to investigate the effect of genetic factors such as the high expressing and low expressing genotypes of serotonin transporter (5-HTT) promoter linked region (5-HTTLPR) polymorphism on fMRI measures of activation and connectivity...
- Biobehavioral Genetics of CVD RiskIndrani Halder; Fiscal Year: 2013..Simultaneous investigation in two different populations is also expected to provide insights into potential causes undedying racial disparities in CVD risk and prevalence. ..
- Biobehavioral Genetics of CVD RiskIndrani Halder; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ROO phase will involve examining all genes for a comprehensive evaluation of the pathways (End of Abstract) ..
- Jeffrey S Simons; Fiscal Year: 2015..We hypothesize genotype at the serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) interacts with trauma exposure to predict PTSD symptoms and alcohol ..
- Pharmacologic Treatments in Emerging AdultsBankole A Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2012..ondansetron treatment, and c) alcoholics who are homozygous for the long polymorphic form (LL) of the serotonin transporter (5-HTT) allele experience greater reduction in severe drinking following ondansetron treatment than those ..
- Francis E Lotrich; Fiscal Year: 2014..Secondly, we and others have observed that promoter polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter may be associated with poor sleep quality, plausibly mediating their relationship to MDD...
- Alan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2016..of SSRIs to inhibit the function of what is widely considered their initial cellular target in brain- the serotonin transporter (SERT). In addition, EB but not P blocked the function of the SERT...
- Genes and Alterations in Brain Structure and Function in DepressionWarren D Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2012..Hypotheses: The short allele of the serotonin transporter promoter region and the catechol-O-methyltransferase val158met polymorphism will each be associated with ..
- Depression, Stress, Aging & Proinflammatory CytokinesJanice Kiecolt Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2009..study will address whether genes for two proteins involved in serotonin (5-HT) signaling, the 5-HT transporter (5-HTT) and the 5-HT1A receptor, are susceptibility genes for depression and anxiety in 192 dementia spousal caregivers ..
- KEVIN P CURRIE; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Serotonin (5HT) is an important neuromodulator, and the serotonin transporter (SERT) plays a central role in controlling 5HT signaling and availability...
- Alan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2014..SSRIs) to alter the function of what is widely considered their initial cellular target in brain - the serotonin transporter (SERT)...
- Claudia Schmauss; Fiscal Year: 2014..Positive results from these studies could identify a new biomarker capable of predicting antidepressant treatment response. ..
- Development of Novel Agents for CNS-related DiseasesSeth Y Ablordeppey; Fiscal Year: 2012..on novel antidepressants using a newly identified agent SYA031 with specific binding affinity for the serotonin transporter (SERT) and 5HT1A as a lead...
- Chadi A Calarge; Fiscal Year: 2014..For example, preclinical experiments have shown that bone cells express the serotonin transporter and a variety of functional serotonin receptors whose activity modulates bone turnover...
- Functional characterization of SSRI resistant genes using C. elegansJI Y SZE; Fiscal Year: 2010..SSRIs are thought to exert therapeutic effects by inhibiting the serotonin reuptake transporter (SERT), thereby increasing serotonin signaling, leading to our central hypothesis that genetic dissection of SSRIs-..
- Postnatal SSRI treatment: effects on serotonergic projections and gene expressionNeil Allen Gray; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The serotonin transporter is the principal target of most commonly prescribed antidepressants...
- DAVID JOHN LAPINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2014..depression and other mental illnesses, to map their corresponding binding sites and poses within the serotonin transporter (SERT)...
- The effects of methamphetamine self-administration on hippocampal serotonergic syLisa McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2013..2010);and 3) abnormalities in the serotonin transporter (SERT;Caspi et al, 2003)...
- Clinical Implications of Serotonin in BoneElizabeth M Haney; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus the serotonin transporter provides a potential link between osteoporosis and depression and anti-depressant treatment...
- Jay A Gingrich; Fiscal Year: 2016The serotonin transporter (SERT) is a critical regulator of emotional function that acts both during brain development as a growth modulator and as a neurotransmitter in the more mature brain...
- ALCOHOL PHARMACOGENETICS IN MEXICAN AMERICANSYU JUI WAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..cytochrome P4502E1) alleles;(3) association of ADH3*2, ADH2*1, DRD2 (dopamine receptor -141C Del/Ins) and serotonin transporter gene-linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) with alcoholism;(4) a strong association of ADH3*2 and ADH2*1 ..
- Psychosocial/Behavioral Intervention in Post-Stroke Depression (PSD)Pamela H Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2013..in ischemic stroke survivors for up to two years and that carrying one or more 5-HTTLPR s-alleles, a serotonin transporter gene polymorphism, was associated not only with a greater risk of PSD, but also with the greatest ..
- REGULATION OF SEROTONIN TRANSPORTERSRandy D Blakely; Fiscal Year: 2010..Endogenous mechanisms that modulate SERT activity are emerging, but as yet remain ill defined...
- Jay Hirsh; Fiscal Year: 2016The human serotonin transporter protein SERT is the primary target for antidepressants used by a significant fraction of the population and also is a direct target for several drugs of abuse, yet modes of action are still unclear...
- Andrew C Chen; Fiscal Year: 2014..The objectives of the proposed study are to determine whether genetic variants in the genes encoding the serotonin transporter (5-HTTLPR), mu-opioid receptor (OPRM1), and GABA-A receptor subunit (GABRA2) are associated with the ..
- Interaction of Genes, Stress, and Cognitions in the Development of AlcoholismKELLY CORINNE YOUNG-WOLFF; Fiscal Year: 2011..Measured genotypes will be used to test whether SLEs interact with variations in the serotonin transporter variant to increase risk for alcoholism in adults...
- Developmental Origins of Affective DisordersMARK SASCHA ANSORGE; Fiscal Year: 2012..lines of evidence suggest that commonly occurring functional polymorphisms in the promoter region of the serotonin transporter gene (5htt) are associated with increased susceptibility to neuropsychiatric disorders such as neuroticism,..
- Nathan A Kimbrel; Fiscal Year: 2016..procedures (including haplotype analyses) to examine the effects of two promising candidate genes-the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) and the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene on PTSD...
- Anxiety development in 5-HT1A autoreceptor knockout mice, interaction with stressRene Hen; Fiscal Year: 2010..how early maltreatment interacts with the monoamine oxidase A genotype to yield antisocial behavior and how the 5-HTT transporter interacts with adverse early adult events to increase risk of depression, our understanding of how ..
- Epigenetic Regulation of Serotonin:Relevance to HIV and Methamphetamine AbuseGREGORY MICHAEL MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..polymorphic variations in genes that encode the key modulators of the serotonin system, including the serotonin transporter (5-HTT), monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) and tryptophan hydroxylase 2 (TPH2) have been well-documented, ..
- CYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2014..In addition, the regulation of serotonin-related genes TPH2, SERT, 5HT1A, MAO-A and MAO-B will be determined with in situ hybridization...
- Molecular mechanisms of bacterial homologs of neurotransmitter:sodium symportersJonathan A Javitch; Fiscal Year: 2013..the relevance of our structural and functional findings in bacterial transporters to understanding the function of SERT and DAT...
- Functionally Significant Polymorphisms in Serotonin Pathway GenesBeverly H Koller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Following vesicular release, the action of 5-HT is terminated by its removal from the synapse by the serotonin transporter (5-HTT, SERT, SLC6A4)...
- Creation of Eating/Activity Environments by New MothersDeborah Young Hyman; Fiscal Year: 2010..As an exploratory aim we will investigate gene (G-protein ss3 subunit C825 T and serotonin transporter 5-HTTLPR polymorphisms obtained via buccal swabs) by environment associations between postpartum weight, ..
- Serotonergic Immunomodulation in Neuroinflammatory DiseaseCATHERINE ELIZABETH HAGAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..voltammetry will be used to study whether stimulating cerebral innate immunity in vivo alters neuronal serotonin transporter kinetics...
- MICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2015..expression in colorectal mucosa of SLC6A4 (the solute carrier protein that controls serotonin [5-HT] re-uptake, or SERT), p11 (another solute carrier, which modifies function of 5-HT receptor subtypes) and 12 genes involved in ..
- Stephanie W Watts; Fiscal Year: 2015..Sprague-Dawley rats will be the primary model, but we will also use the novel serotonin transporter (SERT) knockout rat...
- Development and Functional Analysis of Components of the Zebrafish Serotonin SignKenneth N Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2012..5-HT is charged at physiological pH and must be removed by transport across cellular membranes using the serotonin transporter (SERT)...
- SERT KO rats are a model of sex specific visceral painJames J Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2013..This hypothesis will be tested using male and female serotonin transporter (SERT) knockout (KO) rats, which we propose is a unique animal model of gender specific visceral ..
- DORSAL RAPHE NUCLEUS SEROTONIN NEURONS IN ALCOHOLISMMark D Underwood; Fiscal Year: 2012..DRN) of increased tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH) serotonin-synthesizing enzyme, a decrease in the amount of serotonin transporter and 5-HT1A inhibitory autoreceptor binding and in the prefrontal cortex (PFC) of reduced 5-HT2A receptor ..
- Placental serotonin transporter uses ERp44 and Ero1-L for maturation.Fusun Kilic; Fiscal Year: 2010..the embryo does not synthesis 5HT but receives it from the maternal-embryonic circulation via a specific 5HT transporter (SERT) on the membranes of the trophoblast cells...
- Using Electrochemical Methods to Probe Neuronal Signaling in the GI TractGreg M Swain; Fiscal Year: 2010..myenteric and submucosal plexuses of the small intestine (ileum and duodenum) and colon of guinea pigs and a new SERT-KO rat animal model...
- MAARTEN E REITH; Fiscal Year: 2016..Other biogenic amine transporters are the serotonin transporter (SERT) and the norepinephrine transporter (NET), targets for many different antidepressant drugs...
- Genetic by Context Influence on Trajectories of Adolescent Health Risk BehaviorsVangie A Foshee; Fiscal Year: 2010..study proposes to test interactions between genetic markers from five carefully selected regions - the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4), the monoamine oxidase A gene (MAOA), the catechol-O-methyltransferase gene (COMT), the type ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardJunying Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2009..No Abstract provided ..
- Pharmacogenetics, Emotional Reactivity & SmokingPaul Cinciripini; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will also characterize other potential markers for neurotransmitter function (DRD4, DAT, SERT, NET) in terms of differences in both baseline emotional reactivity, and response to pharmacotherapy vs: the ..
- Functionally Significant Polymorphisms in Serotonin Pathway GenesBeverly Koller; Fiscal Year: 2009..Following vesicular release, the action of 5-HT is terminated by its removal from the synapse by the serotonin transporter (5-HTT, SERT, SLC6A4)...
- Postnatal Antidepressant Effects on Periadolescent SERT Function by VoltammetryAnne Milasincic Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2010..Here, we will extend our studies on the use of voltammetry methods to investigate the role of the serotonin transporter (SERT) in anxiety and depression to include this important model of postnatal inhibition of serotonin ..
- Monoamine Transporter Structure-Function StudiesCHRISTOPHER SURRATT; Fiscal Year: 2007..The serotonin transporter protein (SERT) also plays a key role in the mood-altering effects of these drugs, especially in the case ..
- Development and Applications of Novel SERT PET LigandsMark Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2006..applicant): Considerable evidence accrued over the last two decades have convincingly implicated decreased serotonin transporter (SERT) binding in the pathophysiology of major depression and suicide...
- Development and Applications of Novel SERT PET LigandsMark Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2004Considerable evidence accrued over the last two decades have convincingly implicated decreased serotonin transporter (SERT) binding in the pathophysiology of major depression and suicide...
- RNA interference therapy for Huntington's disease: studies in non-human primatesBeverly L Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2010..HD is a fatal, genetic disorder caused by mutations in HTT, which encodes huntingtin (HTT), and affects approximately 30,000 people in the United States alone...
- RNAi therapy for Huntingtons disease: safety & efficacy in the nonhuman primateJodi L McBride; Fiscal Year: 2010..fatal, neurodegenerative disorder resulting from an expanded tri-nucleotide repeat (CAG) in exon 1 of the HD gene (HTT)...
- Use of Chronoamperometry to Measure Extracellular 5 HTAlan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2005..study the functional consequences and mechanisms underlying antidepressant-induced down-regulation of the serotonin transporter (SERT) and norepinephrine transporter (NET)...
- The Role of Microglia and the Kynurenine Pathway in Huntington's DiseasePaul J Muchowski; Fiscal Year: 2012..is a fatal neurodegenerative disorder caused by an expanded polyglutamine (polyQ) tract in the protein huntingtin (htt)...
- Transgenic Mouse Model to Address Heterogeneity in Autism Spectrum DisordersRANDY DEAN BLAKELY; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Rare, functional gene variants that lead to hyperfunction of the serotonin transporter (SERT) have been associated with a specific subset of autism spectrum traits, rigid-compulsive behaviors ..
- Genetic comorbidity for disordered eating, alcohol use, and personalityMELISSA ANNE MUNN; Fiscal Year: 2010..certain personality traits, as well as vulnerability to alcohol use disorder and eating pathology, is the serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4)...
- Mechanism of Fast Axonal Transport Inhibition by PolyQ-Expanded HuntingtinSarah Pollema; Fiscal Year: 2009..gene disease displays dominant inheritance, and is thought to involve a toxic gain of function in the Huntingtin (Htt) protein...