Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SENP2
Description: SUMO1/sentrin/SMT3 specific peptidase 2
Alias: AXAM2, SMT3IP2, sentrin-specific protease 2, SMT3-specific isopeptidase 2, SUMO1/sentrin/SMT3 specific protease 2, sentrin/SUMO-specific protease SENP2
- SENP1 participates in the dynamic regulation of Elk-1 SUMOylationJames Witty
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, U K
Biochem J 428:247-54. 2010..Partial redundancy of function with SENP2 is revealed by combinatorial knockdown studies...
- Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling modulates activity and ubiquitination-dependent turnover of SUMO-specific protease 2Yoko Itahana
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Box 7512, 101 Manning Dr, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:4675-89. 2006..bipartite nuclear localization signal (NLS) and a CRM1-dependent nuclear export signal (NES) in the SUMO protease SENP2. Both the NLS and the NES are located in the nonhomologous domains of SENP2 and are not conserved among other ..
- SUMO-specific protease 2 in Mdm2-mediated regulation of p53M Jiang
Department of Biomedical Genetics, Center for Oral Biology, James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Cell Death Differ 18:1005-15. 2011Genetic analysis in mice has revealed a key genetic pathway, SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2)-Mdm2-p53, essential for trophoblast development...
- The SUMO-specific isopeptidase SENP2 associates dynamically with nuclear pore complexes through interactions with karyopherins and the Nup107-160 nucleoporin subcomplexJacqueline Goeres
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Mol Biol Cell 22:4868-82. 2011..In this study, we have characterized the molecular basis for interactions between SENP2 and NPCs in human cells...
- Two distinct sites in Nup153 mediate interaction with the SUMO proteases SENP1 and SENP2Kin Hoe Chow
Department of Oncological Sciences, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Nucleus 3:349-58. 2012Numerous enzymes of the mammalian SUMO modification pathway, including two members of the SUMO protease family, SENP2 and SENP1, localize to the nuclear periphery...
- SENP1 and SENP2 affect spatial and temporal control of sumoylation in mitosisCaelin Cubeñas-Potts
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205
Mol Biol Cell 24:3483-95. 2013..Here we show that the small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO)-specific isopeptidases SENP1 and SENP2 are targeted to kinetochores in mitosis...
- Small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO)-specific proteases: profiling the specificities and activities of human SENPsJowita Mikolajczyk
Program in Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 282:26217-24. 2007..Broadly speaking, SENP1 is the most efficient endopeptidase, whereas SENP2 and -5-7 have substantially higher isopeptidase than endopeptidase activities...
- Characterization of a family of nucleolar SUMO-specific proteases with preference for SUMO-2 or SUMO-3Limin Gong
Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 281:15869-77. 2006..Of the six SENP family members, except for SENP1 and SENP2, the substrate specificities of the rest of SENPs are not well defined...
- Characterization of a novel mammalian SUMO-1/Smt3-specific isopeptidase, a homologue of rat axam, which is an axin-binding protein promoting beta-catenin degradationT Nishida
School of Life Science, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0392, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:39060-6. 2001A novel SUMO-1/Smt3-specific isopeptidase, SMT3IP2/Axam2 (Smt3-specific isopeptidase 2), was cloned and characterized...
- Association of the human SUMO-1 protease SENP2 with the nuclear poreJun Hang
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 5431, USA
J Biol Chem 277:19961-6. 2002..To understand these enzymes better, we have examined the localization and behavior of the human SUMO-1 protease SENP2. Here we have shown that SENP2 associates with the nuclear face of nuclear pores and that this association ..
- Enzymes of the SUMO modification pathway localize to filaments of the nuclear pore complexHong Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:6498-508. 2002..We show that SENP2, a SUMO protease that is able to demodify both SUMO-1 and SUMO-2 or SUMO-3 protein conjugates, localizes to the ..
- SUMO-1 protease-1 regulates gene transcription through PMLJennifer L Best
Division of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital, Department of Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell 10:843-55. 2002..SuPr-1 action on transcription was enhanced by PML, and SuPr-1 failed to activate transcription in PML-deficient fibroblasts. Our studies establish an important role for SUMO proteases in transcription...
- A basis for SUMO protease specificity provided by analysis of human Senp2 and a Senp2-SUMO complexDavid Reverter
Structural Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, New York 10021, USA
Structure 12:1519-31. 2004..X-ray structures of the human Senp2 catalytic protease domain and of a covalent thiohemiacetal transition-state complex obtained between the Senp2 ..
- Hyper-SUMOylation of the Kv7 potassium channel diminishes the M-current leading to seizures and sudden deathYitao Qi
Texas Heart Institute, Houston, TX 77030, USA Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuron 83:1159-71. 2014..Here we show that mice with partial deficiency of Sentrin/SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2) develop spontaneous seizures and sudden death...
- Spindle assembly checkpoint robustness requires Tpr-mediated regulation of Mad1/Mad2 proteostasisNina Schweizer
J Cell Biol 203:883-93. 2013..we provide evidence that Tpr might spatially regulate SAC proteostasis through the SUMO-isopeptidases SENP1 and SENP2 at NPCs...
- Transcriptional repression of estrogen receptor α signaling by SENP2 in breast cancer cellsThiziri Nait Achour
Institut de Recherche en Cancérologie de Montpellier, Institut de Recherche en Cancérologie de Montpellier, INSERM, Unité 896, Universite Montpellier 1, and Institut régional du Cancer Montpellier, Montpellier T N A, C T, A L, V C, S J, F 34298, France Université Lyon 1 S S, A P, L C, F 69000 Lyon, France INSERM Unité 1052, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 5286, Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie de Lyon, Equipe labellisée, La Ligue, F 69008 Lyon, France and Institut des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques S S, Faculté de Pharmacie de Lyon, Universite Lyon 1, F 69000 Lyon, France
Mol Endocrinol 28:183-96. 2014..of the small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO) protease, SUMO1/sentrin/suppressor of Mif 2-specific peptidase 2 (SENP2), in the regulation of ERα activity...
- SENP2 regulated the stability of β-catenin through WWOX in hepatocellular carcinoma cellQing feng Jiang
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Henan Provincial People s Hospital, Zhengzhou, 450003, Henan, China
Tumour Biol 35:9677-82. 2014..The SUMO proteases (SENP) remove SUMO conjugate from proteins, and their expression is deregulated in cancers. SENP2 has been reported to play a critical role in the control of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cell growth by ..
- SENP1, but not fetal hemoglobin, differentiates Andean highlanders with chronic mountain sickness from healthy individuals among Andean highlandersMatthew M Hsieh
Molecular and Clinical Hematology Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md Electronic address
Exp Hematol 44:483-490.e2. 2016..Thus, HbF and other classic erythropoietic parameters did not differ between healthy and CMS individuals. However, the non-G/G genotypes of SENP1 appeared to differentiate individuals with CMS from healthy Andean highlanders. ..
- Regulation of homeodomain-interacting protein kinase 2 (HIPK2) effector function through dynamic small ubiquitin-related modifier-1 (SUMO-1) modificationThomas G Hofmann
Heinrich Pette Institut fur experimentelle Virologie und Immunologie an der Universitat Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, 20251 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:29224-32. 2005..SuPr-1 deconjugates SUMO-1 from HIPK2 in vitro and in vivo, which results in modestly increased HIPK2-induced JNK activity. Thus, our data demonstrate that HIPK2 effector function on JNK is modulated through dynamic SUMO-1 modification...
- SENP2 regulates MMP13 expression in a bladder cancer cell line through SUMOylation of TBL1/TBLR1Mingyue Tan
Department of Urology, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Medical College of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200080, China
Sci Rep 5:13996. 2015..Recently, we reported that small ubiquitin related modifier (SUMO)-specific protease 2 (SENP2) was downregulated in BC specimen...
- Biochemical Characterization and Substrate Specificity of Autophagin-2 from the Parasite Trypanosoma cruziJelena Rajković
From the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Structural Biology, Jozef Stefan Institute, Jamova cesta 39, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia, the Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School, Jamova cesta 39, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Biol Chem 290:28231-44. 2015..2, but not by HsAtg4B nor by the structurally related human proteases SENP1, SENP2, and UCH-L3.
- DNA damage-induced NF-κB activation in human glioblastoma cells promotes miR-181b expression and cell proliferationRui Xue Xu
Department of Neurosurgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Dalian Medical University, Dalian, China
Cell Physiol Biochem 35:913-25. 2015..Unfortunately, the vast majority of GBM patients fail responding to radiotherapy because GBM cells remain highly resistant to radiation. Radiotherapy-induced DNA damage response may correlate with therapeutic resistance...
- Disruption of SUMO-specific protease 2 induces mitochondria mediated neurodegenerationJiang Fu
Department of Biomedical Genetics, Center for Oral Biology, Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Institute, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, United States of America
PLoS Genet 10:e1004579. 2014..Here we show that mice with neural-specific disruption of SENP2 develop movement difficulties which ultimately results in paralysis...
- Deficiency of SUMO-specific protease 1 induces arsenic trioxide-mediated apoptosis by regulating XBP1 activity in human acute promyelocytic leukemiaFei Fei Wang
Institute for Pediatric Translational Medicine, Shanghai Children s Medical Center of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200127, P R China Shanghai YiBeiRui Biotechnology Co, Ltd, Shanghai 201318, P R China
Oncol Lett 12:3755-3762. 2016....
- Genetic Polymorphism of SUMO-Specific Cysteine Proteases - SENP1 and SENP2 in Breast CancerAlicja Mirecka
Department of Molecular Genetics, Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection, University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland
Pathol Oncol Res 22:817-23. 2016..1691 + 36C > T, rs12297820) and SENP2 gene (c.902C > A, p.Thr301Lys, rs6762208) and a risk of breast cancer occurrence...
- SUMO-1 plays crucial roles for spindle organization, chromosome congression, and chromosome segregation during mouse oocyte meiotic maturationYi Feng Yuan
Key Laboratory of Agricultural Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, Education Ministry of China, College of Animal Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
Mol Reprod Dev 81:712-24. 2014..the localization of SUMO-1 during oocyte meiosis, and that overexpression of Sentrin/SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2), a de-SUMOylation protease, altered SUMO-modified proteins, and caused defects in metaphase-II spindle ..
- SENP1 inhibition induces apoptosis and growth arrest of multiple myeloma cells through modulation of NF-κB signalingJun Xu
Graduate School of Anhui Medical University, Hefei, PR China Department of Experimental Hematology, Beijing Institute of Radiation Medicine, Beijing 100850, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 460:409-15. 2015..These results delineate a key role for Senp1in IL-6 induced proliferation and survival of MM cells, suggesting it may be a potential new therapeutic target in MM. ..
- Structural insights into the SENP6 Loop1 structure in complex with SUMO2Kamela O Alegre
Institut de Biotecnologia i de Biomedicina and Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193, Bellaterra, Spain
Protein Sci 23:433-41. 2014..To gain structural insights into the role of Loop1, we have designed a chimeric SENP2 with the insertion of Loop1 into its sequence. The structure of SENP2-Loop1 in complex with SUMO2 was solved at 2...
- Nucleus accumbens associated 1 is recruited within the promyelocytic leukemia nuclear body through SUMO modificationYoshinori Tatemichi
Department of Tumor Biology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Iwate Medical University, Yahaba Cho, Japan
Cancer Sci 106:848-56. 2015..Our study demonstrates that NACC1 can be modified by SUMO paralogues, and cooperates with PML protein. ..
- New genetic and physiological factors for excessive erythrocytosis and Chronic Mountain SicknessFrancisco C Villafuerte
Laboratorio de Fisiología Comparada, Facultad de Ciencias y Filosofia, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
J Appl Physiol (1985) 119:1481-6. 2015..This minireview discusses recent genetic findings potentially underlying EE and CMS, and their possible physiological mechanisms in Andean highlanders. ..
- Coamplification and cooperation: toward identifying biologically relevant oncogenesGuochang Huang
Authors Affiliation Laboratory of Epithelial Cancer Biology, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
Clin Cancer Res 19:5549-51. 2013..Assessing for coactivation of functionally related genes resulted in the identification of SENP2, DCUN1D1, and DVL3--consensus candidates that drive selection for 3q amplification in lung squamous cell carcinomas...
- Senp2 expression was induced by chronic glucose stimulation in INS1 cells, and it was required for the associated induction of Ccnd1 and MafaHye Seung Jung
a Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Islets 8:207-216. 2016..Treatment with 25 mM glucose for 72 h induced Senp2 mRNA expression but not that of Senp1 in INS1 cells...
- SENP1 regulates hepatocyte growth factor-induced migration and epithelial-mesenchymal transition of hepatocellular carcinomaWenwen Zhang
Department of Gastroenterology, Shenyang General Hospital of PLA, 83 Wenhua Road, Shenyang, 110016, People s Republic of China
Tumour Biol 37:7741-8. 2016..The EMT-related transcription factor Zeb1 was SUMO-modified and decreased in Senp1-silenced HCC cells. These results delineate that senp1 might play an important role in the regulation of HGF-induced invasion and migration of HCC cells. ..
- The SUMO proteases SENP1 and SENP2 play a critical role in nucleoporin homeostasis and nuclear pore complex functionKin Hoe Chow
Department of Oncological Sciences, Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, National Institute for Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 Department of Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322
Mol Biol Cell 25:160-8. 2014..two pore-associated small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO) proteases, sentrin/SUMO-specific protease 1 (SENP1) and SENP2, we observe that many nucleoporins are mislocalized and, in some cases, reduced in level when SENP1 and SENP2 are ..
- SUMO-specific protease 2 suppresses cell migration and invasion through inhibiting the expression of MMP13 in bladder cancer cellsMing Yue Tan
Department of Urology, Shanghai Jiaotong University Affiliated First People s Hospital, Shanghai, China
Cell Physiol Biochem 32:542-8. 2013SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2) is a de-SUMOylation protease family member which has an indispensable role in the regulation of NF-κB transcriptional activation and Wnt signaling...
- Small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO) modification mediates function of the inhibitory domains of developmental regulators FOXC1 and FOXC2Theodora E Danciu
Department of Periodontics and Oral Medicine, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 287:18318-29. 2012..reconstituted in vitro with purified components and can be reversed in vitro by treatment with the SUMO protease SENP2. SUMOylation of FOXC1 and FOXC2 occurs primarily on one consensus synergy control motif with minor contributions ..
- A proteomic insight into the effects of the immunomodulatory hydroxynaphthoquinone lapachol on activated macrophagesRenato A S Oliveira
Leukocyte Biology Group, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Trieste, Italy
Int Immunopharmacol 14:54-65. 2012..This study also constitutes a model for the pre-in-vivo evaluation of drug actions...
- Betulinic acid decreases specificity protein 1 (Sp1) level via increasing the sumoylation of sp1 to inhibit lung cancer growthTsung I Hsu
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Institute of Bioinformatics and Biosignal Transduction, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Mol Pharmacol 82:1115-28. 2012..Taken together, the results of this study clarify the mechanism of BA-mediated Sp1 degradation and identify a pivotal role for Sp1 in the BA-induced repression of lung cancer growth...
- SUMOylation of hnRNP-K is required for p53-mediated cell-cycle arrest in response to DNA damageSeong Won Lee
Department of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
EMBO J 31:4441-52. 2012..During later periods after UV exposure, however, SENP2 removed SUMO from hnRNP-K for its destabilization and in turn for release from cell-cycle arrest...
- SENP2 regulates hepatocellular carcinoma cell growth by modulating the stability of β-cateninHuo Jian Shen
Department of General Surgery, RenJi Hospital of Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 13:3583-7. 2012..Here, we demonstrated that SENP2 plays a critical role in the control of hepatocellular carcinoma cell growth...
- SUMOylation negatively regulates the stability of CHFR tumor suppressorYoung Eun Kwon
School of Biological Sciences, Research Center for Functional Cellulomics, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 430:213-7. 2013..Moreover, protein level of CHFR, not CHFR(K663R), is rapidly declined under SUMOylation-promoting conditions, and SENP2 deSUMOylating enzyme reverses its SUMO-modification...
- SUMOylation alters CRMP2 regulation of calcium influx in sensory neuronsWeina Ju
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Channels (Austin) 7:153-9. 2013..CRMP2 deSUMOylation by SUMO proteases SENP1 and SENP2 normalized calcium influx to those in the CRMP2AAA mutant...
- Role of SUMO-specific protease 2 in reprogramming cellular glucose metabolismShuang Tang
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 8:e63965. 2013..Here we report that SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2) negatively regulates aerobic glycolysis in MCF7 and MEF cells...
- Specific and covalent targeting of conjugating and deconjugating enzymes of ubiquitin-like proteinsJoris Hemelaar
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:84-95. 2004..The UBL probes described here will be valuable tools for the further characterization of the enzymatic pathways that govern modification by UBLs...
- De-SUMOylation enzyme of sentrin/SUMO-specific protease 2 regulates disturbed flow-induced SUMOylation of ERK5 and p53 that leads to endothelial dysfunction and atherosclerosisKyung Sun Heo
Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute and Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 601 Elmwood Ave, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Circ Res 112:911-23. 2013..Disturbed flow induces proinflammatory and apoptotic responses in endothelial cells, causing them to become dysfunctional and subsequently proatherogenic...
- CHFR is negatively regulated by SUMOylation-mediated ubiquitylationSung Jun Bae
School of Biological Sciences, Research Center for Functional Cellulomics, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 433:194-9. 2013..Conversely, SENP2 deSUMOylating enzyme reduces SUMOylation-induced ubiquitylation of CHFR, leading to elevated CHFR protein levels...
- Role of SUMO-interacting motif in Daxx SUMO modification, subnuclear localization, and repression of sumoylated transcription factorsDing Yen Lin
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei 11529, Taiwan, Republic of China
Mol Cell 24:341-54. 2006..Our results provide mechanistic insights into Daxx in SUMO-dependent transcriptional control and subnuclear compartmentalization...
- Impaired SIRT1 nucleocytoplasmic shuttling in the senescent heart during ischemic stressChao Tong
1615 Biomedical Research Bldg, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences University at Buffalo SUNY, 3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
FASEB J 27:4332-42. 2013..Moreover, cardiac overexpression of desumoylase, sentrin-specific protease 2 (SENP2), significantly reduces nuclear sumoylated SIRT1 levels (P<0.05)...
- SUMOylation of ATF3 alters its transcriptional activity on regulation of TP53 geneChiung Min Wang
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Mercer University School of Medicine, Savannah, GA 31404, USA
J Cell Biochem 114:589-98. 2013..In addition, PIAS3β (a SUMO E3 ligase) enhanced and SENP2 and SENP7 (two SUMOylation proteases) decreased SUMOylation of ATF3, respectively...
- Reconstruction of an integrated genome-scale co-expression network reveals key modules involved in lung adenocarcinomaGholamreza Bidkhori
Laboratory of Systems Biology and Bioinformatics LBB, Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
PLoS ONE 8:e67552. 2013..In addition to the mentioned genes, there are some other genes (i.e. DLGAP5, BIRC5, PSMD2, Src, TTK, SENP2, PSMD2, DOK2, FUS and etc.) in the modules.
- Discovery of 1-[4-(N-benzylamino)phenyl]-3-phenylurea derivatives as non-peptidic selective SUMO-sentrin specific protease (SENP)1 inhibitorsMasaharu Uno
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Gakushuin University, Mejiro, Toshima ku, Tokyo 171 8588, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:5169-73. 2012..Compound 4 exhibited selective inhibition against SENP1 protease activity without inhibiting other protease enzyme activities in vitro...
- Enhanced desumoylation in murine hearts by overexpressed SENP2 leads to congenital heart defects and cardiac dysfunctionEun Young Kim
Program in Genes and Development, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 52:638-49. 2012..and function and its underlying mechanisms, we generated transgenic (Tg) mice with cardiac-specific expression of SENP2, a SUMO-specific protease that deconjugates sumoylated proteins, to evaluate the impact of desumoylation on heart ..
- ZNF451 is a novel PML body- and SUMO-associated transcriptional coregulatorUlla Karvonen
Biomedicum Helsinki, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, P O Box 63, FI 00014, Helsinki, Finland
J Mol Biol 382:585-600. 2008..the nuclear compartmentalization of ZNF451, since coexpression of ZNF451 with SUMO-specific proteases SENP1 or SENP2, both capable of desumoylating the protein, redistributes ZNF451 from nuclear domains to speckles and nucleoplasm...
- Repression of the SUMO-specific protease Senp1 induces p53-dependent premature senescence in normal human fibroblastsKristin E Yates
Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8005, USA
Aging Cell 7:609-21. 2008..repression of the genes encoding the small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO)-specific proteases, Senp1, Senp2, and Senp7, induced low passage primary human fibroblasts to senesce rapidly...
- Crystal structure of the SENP1 mutant C603S-SUMO complex reveals the hydrolytic mechanism of SUMO-specific proteaseZheng Xu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biotechnology Program, Centre for Protein Science and Crystallography, Faculty of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Biochem J 398:345-52. 2006..1 nm), the X-ray structure of SENP1C(C603S)-SUMO-1 complex. A comparison of the structure of SENP2-SUMO-1 suggests strongly that SUMO-specific proteases require a self-conformational change prior to cleavage of ..
- SUMO-specific protease 1 (SENP1) reverses the hormone-augmented SUMOylation of androgen receptor and modulates gene responses in prostate cancer cellsSanna Kaikkonen
Institute of Biomedicine Medical Biochemistry, University of Kuopio, FI 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Mol Endocrinol 23:292-307. 2009..Of the SUMO-specific proteases (SENP)-1, -2, -3, -5, and -6, only SENP1 and SENP2 are efficient in cleaving AR-SUMO-1 conjugates in intact cells and in vitro...
- Desumoylation activity of Axam, a novel Axin-binding protein, is involved in downregulation of beta-cateninTakayuki Kadoya
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Hiroshima University, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 22:3803-19. 2002..These results demonstrate that Axam functions as a desumoylation enzyme to downregulate beta-catenin and suggest that sumoylation is involved in the regulation of the Wnt signaling pathway...
- Mapping residues of SUMO precursors essential in differential maturation by SUMO-specific protease, SENP1Zheng Xu
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Biochem J 386:325-30. 2005..Taken together, we suggest that the observed differential maturation process has its physiological significance in the regulation of the sumoylation pathway...
- Differential regulation of c-Jun-dependent transcription by SUMO-specific proteasesJinke Cheng
Department of Cardiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 280:14492-8. 2005..that c-Jun transcription can be regulated by SuPr-1, an alternatively spliced form of SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2)...
- Differential interactions of the homeodomain-interacting protein kinase 2 (HIPK2) by phosphorylation-dependent sumoylationKi Sa Sung
Department of Biological Science, Sungkyunkwan University, 300 Chunchundong, Suwon 440 746, Korea
FEBS Lett 579:3001-8. 2005..These results suggest that phosphorylation-dependent sumoylation enables HIPK2 to drive different target gene transcription by means of differential interactions with its binding partners...
- Fusion of the SUMO/Sentrin-specific protease 1 gene SENP1 and the embryonic polarity-related mesoderm development gene MESDC2 in a patient with an infantile teratoma and a constitutional t(12;15)(q13;q25)Imke M Veltman
Department of Human Genetics, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Hum Mol Genet 14:1955-63. 2005..Together, the constitutional t(12;15)(q13;q25) translocation revealed two novel candidate genes for neonatal/infantile GCT development: MESDC2 and SENP1...
- SUMO modification negatively modulates the transcriptional activity of CREB-binding protein via the recruitment of DaxxHong Yi Kuo
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan 11529, Republic of China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16973-8. 2005..either individually or in combination enhanced CBP transcriptional activity, and expression of a SUMO protease SENP2 potentiated the transcriptional activity of CBP wild-type but not its sumoylation mutant, indicating that SUMO ..
- The structure of SENP1-SUMO-2 complex suggests a structural basis for discrimination between SUMO paralogues during processingLin Nan Shen
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland KY16 9ST, UK
Biochem J 397:279-88. 2006..Although SENP1 is rather similar in structure to the related protease SENP2, these proteases have different SUMO-processing activities...
- Differential regulation of sentrinized proteins by a novel sentrin-specific proteaseL Gong
Research Center for Cardiovascular Diseases, Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases, Division of Molecular Medicine, The University of Texas Houston Health Science, Houston, USA
J Biol Chem 275:3355-9. 2000..The identification of a nuclear-localized, sentrin-specific protease will provide a unique tool to study the role of sentrinization in the biological function of PML and in the pathogenesis of acute promyelocytic leukemia...
- Structural basis for SENP2 protease interactions with SUMO precursors and conjugated substratesDavid Reverter
Structural Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 13:1060-8. 2006..SUMO isoform processing and SUMO isoform interactions, X-ray structures were determined for a catalytically inert SENP2 protease domain in complex with conjugated RanGAP1-SUMO-1 or RanGAP1-SUMO-2, or in complex with SUMO-2 or SUMO-3 ..
- SUMO modification regulates inactivation of the voltage-gated potassium channel Kv1.5Mark D Benson
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0632, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1805-10. 2007..5 serves as a substrate in a minimal in vitro reconstituted SUMOylation reaction. The SUMO-specific proteases SENP2 and Ulp1 efficiently deconjugate SUMO from Kv1...
- An acetylation/deacetylation-SUMOylation switch through a phylogenetically conserved psiKXEP motif in the tumor suppressor HIC1 regulates transcriptional repression activityNicolas Stankovic-Valentin
CNRS UMR 8161, Institut de Biologie de Lille, Institut Pasteur de Lille, 1 rue Calmette, BP 447, 59017 Lille Cedex, France
Mol Cell Biol 27:2661-75. 2007..of the other conserved residue in the psiKXE consensus, E316A, or the overexpression of the deSUMOylase SSP3/SENP2. Furthermore, HIC1 is acetylated in vitro by P300/CBP...
- Molecular basis of the redox regulation of SUMO proteases: a protective mechanism of intermolecular disulfide linkage against irreversible sulfhydryl oxidationZheng Xu
Centre of Protein Science and Crystallography, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
FASEB J 22:127-37. 2008..modification confers a higher recovery of enzyme activity, which is also observed in yeast Ulp1, but not in human SENP2, suggesting its protective role against irreversible sulfhydryl oxidation...
- Interleukin-6 directly inhibits osteoclast differentiation by suppressing receptor activator of NF-kappaB signaling pathwaysFumio Yoshitake
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontology, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8, Yamada oka Suita, Osaka, 565 0871 Japan
J Biol Chem 283:11535-40. 2008..of MKP1 and MKP7, which encode enzymes that dephosphorylate JNK, and down-regulates the transcription of Senp2 and Cul4A, which are related to the ubiquitin pathway...
- Ubc9 promotes the stability of Smad4 and the nuclear accumulation of Smad1 in osteoblast-like Saos-2 cellsKoichi Shimada
Department of Periodontology, Nihon University School of Dentistry, 1 8 13 Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 101 8310, Japan
Bone 42:886-93. 2008..showed that sumoylated Smad4 is present and dependent on Ubc9 in vitro, which was confirmed by pretreatment with Senp2, a SUMO-protease. These results suggest that Ubc9 promotes the stability of sumoylated Smad4...
- Regulation of Wnt signaling by the nuclear pore complexMiki Shitashige
Chemotherapy Division and Cancer Proteomics Project, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Gastroenterology 134:1961-71, 1971.e1-4. 2008..However, beta-catenin has no nuclear localization signal, and the mechanisms by which beta-catenin is imported into the nucleus and forms a complex with the TCF-4 nuclear protein are poorly understood...
- Distribution and paralogue specificity of mammalian deSUMOylating enzymesNagamalleswari Kolli
Department of Biochemistry, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, U S A
Biochem J 430:335-44. 2010..Compared with cSENPs, recombinant full-length SENP1 and SENP2 show differences in SUMO selectivity, indicating that paralogue specificity is influenced by the presence of the ..
- Some molecular effectors of antidepressant action of quetiapine revealed by DNA microarray in the frontal cortex of anhedonic ratsMarco Orsetti
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche, Alimentari, Farmaceutiche e Farmacologiche DiSCAFF, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:600-12. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the molecular mechanism(s) of QTP antidepressant effect by coupling the CMS protocol with Affymetrix microarray technology to screen the entire rat genome for gene changes in the frontal cortex...
- A toolbox approach to high-throughput TR-FRET-based SUMOylation and DeSUMOylation assaysCoby B Carlson
Invitrogen Discovery Assays and Services, Madison, Wisconsin 53719, USA
Assay Drug Dev Technol 7:348-55. 2009..7) with high signal-to-background levels. Together, this collection of tools can be utilized in a modular approach to develop HTS assays for inhibitors of SUMOylation or deSUMOylation...
- [Prokaryotic expression and identification of dual-fluorescence fusion proteins of small ubiquitin-like modifier and sentrin-specific protease]Xiaohui Wang
School of Bioscience and Bioengineering, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou 510006, China
Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao 25:701-7. 2009..The fusion proteins of SENP and ECFP-SUMO-EYFP can be successfully expressed in prokaryotic expression system. It lays the foundation for the fluorescence resonance energy transfer analysis...
- Sumoylation of Prox1 controls its ability to induce VEGFR3 expression and lymphatic phenotypes in endothelial cellsMei Ren Pan
Graduate Institute of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
J Cell Sci 122:3358-64. 2009..This effect is SUMO-dependent because ectopic expression of SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2) effectively reduced Prox1 sumoylation and Prox1-induced VEGFR3 expression...
- Identification and developmental expression of Xenopus laevis SUMO proteasesYonggang Wang
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e8462. 2009..In contrast, Xenopus possess a single member of the SENP1/SENP2 subfamily of Ulp/SENPs, most closely related to mammalian SENP1...
- Expanding the substantial interactome of NEMO using protein microarraysBeau J Fenner
Centre for Human Proteomics and Department of Physiology and Medical Physics, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 5:e8799. 2010..Binding of NEMO to several interactors, including CALB1, CDK2, SAG, SENP2 and SYT1, was confirmed using GST pulldown assays and coimmunoprecipitation, validating the initial screening ..
- Control of adipogenesis by the SUMO-specific protease SENP2Sung Soo Chung
Department of Molecular Medicine and Biopharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Convergence Science and Technology, and Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, South Korea
Mol Cell Biol 30:2135-46. 2010Here, we demonstrate that SENP2, a desumoylating enzyme, plays a critical role in the control of adipogenesis...
- SUMO-specific protease 2 is essential for modulating p53-Mdm2 in development of trophoblast stem cell niches and lineagesShang Yi Chiu
Department of Biomedical Genetics, Center for Oral Biology, James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
PLoS Biol 6:e310. 2008SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2) modifies proteins by removing SUMO from its substrates...
- SUMO-specific protease 2 is essential for suppression of polycomb group protein-mediated gene silencing during embryonic developmentXunlei Kang
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cell Biology, The Key Laboratory of Cell Differentiation and Apoptosis of Chinese Ministry of Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Mol Cell 38:191-201. 2010SUMO-specific protease 2 (SENP2) has a broad de-SUMOylation activity in vitro. However, the biological function of SENP2 is largely unknown...
- The SUMO pathway functions in mouse oocyte maturationZhen Bo Wang
State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Cell Cycle 9:2640-6. 2010..the two basic proteins in the sumoylation pathway and investigated their roles through over-expression of Senp2 during mouse oocyte maturation...
- BCL11A is a SUMOylated protein and recruits SUMO-conjugation enzymes in its nuclear bodyTakeshi Kuwata
Division of Carcinogenesis, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Genes Cells 13:931-40. 2008..We also show that SENP2, a SUMO specific peptidase, is co-localized in the nuclear body...
- SUMO modification selectively regulates transcriptional activity of peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor γ in C2C12 myotubesSung Soo Chung
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Biochem J 433:155-61. 2011..We found that the SUMO-specific protease SENP2 [SUMO1/sentrin/SMT3 (suppressor of mif two 3 homologue 1)-specific peptidase 2] effectively de-SUMOylates PPARγ-..
- Transcriptional ERRgamma2-mediated activation is regulated by sentrin-specific proteasesMoritz Hentschke
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Biochem J 419:167-76. 2009..Together, our results demonstrate reversible phosphorylation-dependent sumoylation as a means to regulate the activity of an orphan nuclear receptor...
- The role of Co²+ in the crystallization of human SENP1 and comments on the limitations of automated refinement protocolsVadim Rimsa
Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland
Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 67:442-5. 2011..High-throughput automated re-refinement protocols also failed to mark the Co(2+) position, supporting the requirement for the incorporation of as much information as possible to enhance the value of such protocols...
- Characterization of a novel posttranslational modification in neuronal nitric oxide synthase by small ubiquitin-related modifier-1Masatomo Watanabe
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, Kagawa School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Sanuki, Kagawa 769 2193, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1814:900-7. 2011..On the other hand, SUMO-1 was deconjugated from nNOS by SENP1 and SENP2. Overall, this study has newly identified that nNOS is posttranslationally modified by SUMO-1.
- Mitotic kinase Aurora-B is regulated by SUMO-2/3 conjugation/deconjugation during mitosisReiko Ban
Department of Biochemistry, Shimane University School of Medicine, Izumo 693 8501, Japan
Genes Cells 16:652-69. 2011..dramatically enhanced poly-SUMO-2/3 conjugation of Aurora-B, whereas the SUMO-specific isopeptidase SENP2 (Sentrin/SUMO-specific protease) specifically deconjugated SUMO from Aurora-B...
- NF-κB induction of the SUMO protease SENP2: A negative feedback loop to attenuate cell survival response to genotoxic stressMoon Hee Lee
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Oncology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 6159 Wisconsin Institute for Medical Research, 1111 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Mol Cell 43:180-91. 2011..Here we show that among the six known Sentrin/SUMO-specific proteases (SENPs), only SENP2 can efficiently associate with NEMO, deSUMOylate NEMO, and inhibit NF-κB activation induced by DNA damage...
- SENP2 negatively regulates cellular antiviral response by deSUMOylating IRF3 and conditioning it for ubiquitination and degradationYong Ran
College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, China
J Mol Cell Biol 3:283-92. 2011..Overexpression of SENP2 caused IRF3 deSUMOylation, K48-linked ubiquitination, and degradation, whereas depletion of SENP2 had opposite ..
- SUMOylation of RORalpha potentiates transcriptional activation functionEun Ju Hwang
Department of Biological Sciences, Research Center for Women s Disease, Sookmyung Women s University, 52 Hyochangwon gil, Yongsan gu, Seoul 140 742, South Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 378:513-7. 2009..PIAS family members, PIASxalpha, PIAS3, and PIASy, increased SUMOylation of RORalpha, whereas SENP2 specifically removed SUMO from RORalpha...
- Structure of the human SENP7 catalytic domain and poly-SUMO deconjugation activities for SENP6 and SENP7Christopher D Lima
Structural Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Biol Chem 283:32045-55. 2008..4 angstroms. Comparison with structures of human SENP1 and SENP2 reveals unique elements that differ from previously characterized structures of SUMO-deconjugating enzymes...
- p90RSK: A flow responsive mediator of inflammationKeigi Fujiwara; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our data show that p90RSK activation inhibits Sentrin/SUMO- specific proteases 2 (SENP2) de-SUMOylation activity and increases both p53 and ERK5-SUMOylation, which increases p53 nuclear export and ..
- Yuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2015..In preliminary studies, we also identified a role of SENP1 and SENP2 in HIV replication...