Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RAD21
Description: RAD21 cohesin complex component
Alias: CDLS4, HR21, HRAD21, MCD1, NXP1, SCC1, hHR21, double-strand-break repair protein rad21 homolog, NXP-1, RAD21 homolog, SCC1 homolog, kleisin, nuclear matrix protein 1, protein involved in DNA double-strand break repair, sister chromatid cohesion 1
Publications189 found, 100 shown here
- Analysis of spontaneous and double-strand break-induced recombination in rad mutants of S. pombeE A Fortunato
Department of Biology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0322, USA
Mutat Res 364:14-60. 1996..cerevisiae RAD3) and rad10 (homologue of S. cerevisiae RAD1) involved in nucleotide excision repair; rad21 and rad22 (homologue of S. cerevisiae RAD52) involved in the repair of ionizing radiation-induced DNA damage...
- Characterization of vertebrate cohesin complexes and their regulation in prophaseI Sumara
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Biol 151:749-62. 2000..Both complexes contain SMC1, SMC3, SCC1, and either one of the yeast Scc3p orthologs SA1 and SA2. SA1 is also a subunit of 14S cohesin in Xenopus...
- Enhanced RAD21 cohesin expression confers poor prognosis in BRCA2 and BRCAX, but not BRCA1 familial breast cancersMax Yan
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Barker Street, Randwick, 2031, Australia
Breast Cancer Res 14:R69. 2012The RAD21 gene encodes a key component of the cohesin complex, which is essential for chromosome segregation, and together with BRCA1 and BRCA2, for high-fidelity DNA repair by homologous recombination...
- Identification and characterization of SA/Scc3p subunits in the Xenopus and human cohesin complexesA Losada
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA
J Cell Biol 150:405-16. 2000..These results shed light on the mechanism by which sister chromatid cohesion is partially dissolved in early mitosis, far before the onset of anaphase, in vertebrate cells...
- Functional contribution of Pds5 to cohesin-mediated cohesion in human cells and Xenopus egg extractsAna Losada
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
J Cell Sci 118:2133-41. 2005..Depletion of the cohesin subunit Scc1 by RNA interference leads to the assembly of chromosomes with severe cohesion defects...
- Sororin, a substrate of the anaphase-promoting complex, is required for sister chromatid cohesion in vertebratesSusannah Rankin
Systems Biology Department, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell 18:185-200. 2005..We speculate that the protein, which we have named sororin, regulates the ability of the cohesin complex to mediate sister chromatid cohesion, perhaps by altering the nature of the interaction of cohesin with the chromosomes...
- Interaction of Sororin protein with polo-like kinase 1 mediates resolution of chromosomal arm cohesionNenggang Zhang
Texas Children s Cancer and Hematology Center, Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 286:41826-37. 2011....
- Epigenetic displacement of HP1 from heterochromatin by HIV-1 Vpr causes premature sister chromatid separationMari Shimura
Department of Intractable Diseases, Research Institute, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162 8655, Japan
J Cell Biol 194:721-35. 2011..In Vpr-expressing cells, hRad21, hSgo1, and hMis12, which are crucial for proper chromosome segregation, were displaced from the centromeres of ..
- Cohesin cleavage by separase required for anaphase and cytokinesis in human cellsS Hauf
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Science 293:1320-3. 2001..We have identified two separase cleavage sites in the human cohesin subunit SCC1 and have conditionally expressed noncleavable SCC1 mutants in human cells...
- Sororin mediates sister chromatid cohesion by antagonizing WaplTomoko Nishiyama
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Vienna, Austria
Cell 143:737-49. 2010..The mechanism we describe here may therefore be widely conserved among different species...
- Releasing cohesin from chromosome arms in early mitosis: opposing actions of Wapl-Pds5 and Sgo1Keishi Shintomi
Chromosome Dynamics Laboratory, RIKEN Advanced Science Institute, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Genes Dev 23:2224-36. 2009..Evidence is also presented that Sgo1 plays a hitherto underappreciated role in stabilizing cohesin along chromosome arms, which is antagonized by the mitotic kinases polo-like kinsase (Plk1) and aurora B...
- Metazoan Scc4 homologs link sister chromatid cohesion to cell and axon migration guidanceVlad C Seitan
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
PLoS Biol 4:e242. 2006....
- Cohesins localize with CTCF at the KSHV latency control region and at cellular c-myc and H19/Igf2 insulatorsWilliam Stedman
Gene Regulation Program, The Wistar Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
EMBO J 27:654-66. 2008..siRNA depletion of RAD21 from latently infected cells caused an increase in K14 and ORF74, and lytic inducers caused a rapid dissociation ..
- Enhanced RAD21 cohesin expression confers poor prognosis and resistance to chemotherapy in high grade luminal, basal and HER2 breast cancersHuiling Xu
Research Division, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Locked Bag 1, A Beckett Street, Melbourne, VIC 8006, Australia
Breast Cancer Res 13:R9. 2011b>RAD21 is a component of the cohesin complex, which is essential for chromosome segregation and error-free DNA repair...
- Linking sister chromatid cohesion and apoptosis: role of Rad21Debananda Pati
Texas Children s Cancer Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:8267-77. 2002..We show that cleavage of human Rad21 (hRad21) also occurs during apoptosis induced by diverse stimuli...
- Sororin is required for stable binding of cohesin to chromatin and for sister chromatid cohesion in interphaseJulia Schmitz
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Curr Biol 17:630-6. 2007..Our data indicate that sororin interacts with chromatin-bound cohesin and functions during the establishment or maintenance of cohesion in S or G2 phase, respectively...
- Suppression of RAD21 gene expression decreases cell growth and enhances cytotoxicity of etoposide and bleomycin in human breast cancer cellsJosephine M Atienza
Sequenom, Inc, 3595 John Hopkins Court, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 4:361-8. 2005..case-control association study done in our laboratory has identified a single nucleotide polymorphism located in RAD21 as being significantly associated with breast cancer susceptibility...
- Sequence conservation of the rad21 Schizosaccharomyces pombe DNA double-strand break repair gene in human and mouseM J McKay
MGC Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, 3000DR, The Netherlands
Genomics 36:305-15. 1996..The mHR21(sp) (mouse homolog of Rad21, S. pombe) and hHR21(sp) (human homolog of Rad21, S. pombe) predicted proteins were 96% identical, whereas the human and S...
- Cohesin defects lead to premature sister chromatid separation, kinetochore dysfunction, and spindle-assembly checkpoint activationMd Tozammel Hoque
Laboratory of Cell Cycle Regulation, Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:42306-14. 2002b>Scc1/Mcd1 is a component of the cohesin complex that plays an essential role in sister chromatid cohesion in eukaryote cells...
- Caspase proteolysis of the cohesin component RAD21 promotes apoptosisFeng Chen
Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 277:16775-81. 2002..Using an expression cloning strategy we recently developed, we isolated human RAD21/SCC1/MCD1 as a novel caspase substrate...
- Rec8p, a meiotic recombination and sister chromatid cohesion phosphoprotein of the Rad21p family conserved from fission yeast to humansS Parisi
Institute of General Microbiology, University of Bern, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 19:3515-28. 1999Our work and that of others defined mitosis-specific (Rad21 subfamily) and meiosis-specific (Rec8 subfamily) proteins involved in sister chromatid cohesion in several eukaryotes, including humans...
- RAD21 and KIAA0196 at 8q24 are amplified and overexpressed in prostate cancerKati P Porkka
Cancer Genetics, Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 39:1-10. 2004..Two genes from chromosomal region 8q24-RAD21 and KIAA0196-showed increased expression in clinical prostate carcinomas and were also amplified in 30-40% of ..
- Human chromatid cohesin component hRad21 is phosphorylated in M phase and associated with metaphase centromeresM T Hoque
Tokyo Institute of Technology, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori ku, Yokohama, 226 8501, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:5059-67. 2001..b>hRad21 is a nuclear phosphorylated protein...
- Cell cycle control of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus latency transcription by CTCF-cohesin interactionsHyojeung Kang
The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Virol 83:6199-210. 2009..by the cellular chromatin boundary factor CTCF and chromosome structural maintenance proteins SMC1, SMC3, and RAD21, which comprise the cohesin complex...
- Calpain-1 cleaves Rad21 to promote sister chromatid separationAnil K Panigrahi
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Baylor College of Medicine, 1102 Bates Avenue, Suite 1220, Houston, TX 77030
Mol Cell Biol 31:4335-47. 2011..Sister chromatids are held together by cohesin, a multiprotein ring-like complex comprised of Rad21, Smc1, Smc3, and SA2 (or SA1)...
- Cohesins determine the attachment manner of kinetochores to spindle microtubules at meiosis I in fission yeastShihori Yokobayashi
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 23:3965-73. 2003..A multisubunit complex called cohesin, including Rad21/Scc1, plays a crucial role in sister chromatid cohesion and equational segregation at mitosis...
- Sequential loading of cohesin subunits during the first meiotic prophase of grasshoppersAna M Valdeolmillos
Departamento de Biologia, Edificio de Biológicas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
PLoS Genet 3:e28. 2007..its localization resembles the location of the unsynapsed axial elements, whereas radiation-sensitive mutant 21 (RAD21) (sister chromatid cohesion protein 1, SCC1) and stromal antigen protein 1 (SA1) (sister chromatid cohesion ..
- Cohesin Is limiting for the suppression of DNA damage-induced recombination between homologous chromosomesShay Covo
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences NIEHS, National Institutes of Health NIH, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Genet 6:e1001006. 2010..Unlike RAD50 and RAD51, which play a direct role in HR, a 4-fold reduction in the number of essential MCD1 sister chromatid cohesion subunit genes affected survival of gamma-irradiated G(2)/M cells...
- A Caenorhabditis elegans cohesion protein with functions in meiotic chromosome pairing and disjunctionP Pasierbek
Department of Cytology and Genetics, Institute of Botany, University of Vienna, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Genes Dev 15:1349-60. 2001We have studied four Caenorhabditis elegans homologs of the Rad21/Scc1/Rec8 sister-chromatid cohesion protein family. Based on the RNAi phenotype and protein localization, it is concluded that one of them, W02A2...
- Changes in the expression and localization of cohesin subunits during meiosis in a non-mammalian vertebrate, the medaka fishToshiharu Iwai
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0810, Japan
Gene Expr Patterns 4:495-504. 2004..subunits during meiosis in non-mammalian species, we isolated cDNA clones encoding SMC1alpha, SMC1beta, SMC3 and Rad21 in the medaka and produced antibodies against recombinant proteins...
- Separase is required for chromosome segregation during meiosis I in Caenorhabditis elegansM F Siomos
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Dr Bohrgasse 7, Vienna 1030, Austria
Curr Biol 11:1825-35. 2001..mechanism removes cohesin along chromosome arms during prophase, while the proteolytic cleavage of cohesin's Scc1 subunit by separase removes centromeric cohesin at anaphase...
- Two putative acetyltransferases, san and deco, are required for establishing sister chromatid cohesion in DrosophilaByron C Williams
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, 427 Biotechnology Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Curr Biol 13:2025-36. 2003..However, many aspects of the mechanisms that establish and maintain cohesion during mitosis remain unclear...
- Requirement of chromatid cohesion proteins rad21/scc1 and mis4/scc2 for normal spindle-kinetochore interaction in fission yeastYusuke Toyoda
Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, 606 8502, Kyoto, Japan
Curr Biol 12:347-58. 2002..The failure to form cohesion in the S phase results in premature separation of chromatids in G2/M. Mitotic kinetochores free from microtubules or the lack of tension are known to activate spindle checkpoint...
- Faithful anaphase is ensured by Mis4, a sister chromatid cohesion molecule required in S phase and not destroyed in G1 phaseK Furuya
CREST Research Project, Department of Biophysics, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606, Japan
Genes Dev 12:3408-18. 1998The loss of sister chromatid cohesion triggers anaphase spindle movement. The budding yeast Mcd1/Scc1 protein, called cohesin, is required for associating chromatids, and proteins homologous to it exist in a variety of eukaryotes...
- Studies on substrate recognition by the budding yeast separaseMatt Sullivan
Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, Lincoln s Inn Fields Laboratories, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:1191-6. 2004Sister chromatid cohesion is resolved at anaphase onset when separase, a site-specific protease, cleaves the Scc1 subunit of the chromosomal cohesin complex that is responsible for holding sister chromatids together...
- Positive regulation of c-Myc by cohesin is direct, and evolutionarily conservedJenny M Rhodes
Department of Pathology, Dunedin School of Medicine, The University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Dev Biol 344:637-49. 2010..We analyzed zebrafish embryos null for cohesin subunit rad21 using microarrays to determine global effects of cohesin on gene expression during embryogenesis...
- Cdc48 is required for the stability of Cut1/separase in mitotic anaphaseNobuyasu Ikai
Department of Gene Mechanism, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Struct Biol 156:50-61. 2006Separase, a large protease essential for sister chromatid separation, cleaves the cohesin subunit Scc1/Rad21 during anaphase and leads to dissociation of the link between sister chromatids...
- Localization of human SMC1 protein at kinetochoresHeather C Gregson
University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine, Department of Biological Chemistry, 240D Med Sci I, Irvine, CA 92697 1700, USA
Chromosome Res 10:267-77. 2002..of the structural maintenance of chromosomes (SMC) family proteins, hSMC1 and hSMC3, and non-SMC components, hRAD21 and SA1 (or SA2)...
- Eco1 is a novel acetyltransferase that can acetylate proteins involved in cohesionDmitri Ivanov
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030, Vienna, Austria
Curr Biol 12:323-8. 2002..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a complex consisting of Scc1, Smc1, Smc3, and Scc3 proteins, called "cohesin," mediates the connection between sister chromatids...
- The spindle midzone microtubule-associated proteins Ase1p and Cin8p affect the number and orientation of astral microtubules in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeArmand de Gramont
The Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, The National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cell Cycle 6:1231-41. 2007..When budding yeast cells express the non-cleavable cohesin subunit, Scc1-RRDD, sister chromatid separation is blocked, preventing the spindle from elongating...
- Identification and characterization of a type III secretion system in Chlamydophila psittaciDelphine Sylvie Anne Beeckman
Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Vet Res 39:27. 2008..Unfortunately, SctN was not investigated with this technique. Additionally, we sequenced 14 full-length T3S genes (scc1, sctW, sctJ, sctL, sctR, sctS, scc2, copD1, sctN, sctQ, sctC, incA, ca037, and cadd) and examined the transcription ..
- Cell cycle mechanisms of sister chromatid separation; roles of Cut1/separin and Cut2/securinM Yanagida
Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Genes Cells 5:1-8. 2000..In the budding yeast, Esp1/separin is thought to be a component of proteolysis against Scc1, an essential subunit of cohesin which is thought to link duplicated sister chromatids up to the anaphase...
- Identification of an ISR-related metabolite produced by rhizobacterium Klebsiella oxytoca C1036 active against soft-rot disease pathogen in tobaccoMyung Ryeol Park
Division of Applied Bioscience and Biotechnology, Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, Environmentally Friendly Agriculture Research Centre, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Pest Manag Sci 65:1114-7. 2009..carotovorum SCC1 (SCC1). However, microbial metabolites from C1036 involved in ISR activity remain unknown...
- Involvement of the cohesin Rad21 and SCP3 in monopolar attachment of sister kinetochores during mouse meiosis IMaría Teresa Parra
Departamento de Biologia, Edificio de Biológicas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Madrid, Spain
J Cell Sci 117:1221-34. 2004..We have analysed the behaviour of SCP3 and the cohesin subunit Rad21 in mouse spermatocytes by means of a squashing technique...
- Cohesin component dynamics during meiotic prophase I in mammalian oocytesIgnacio Prieto
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CSIC, UAM Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid E 28049, Spain
Chromosome Res 12:197-213. 2004..Mitotic cohesin subunit RAD21 is also found in fibers that decorate the SC during prophase I in mouse oocytes, suggesting a role for this ..
- Cohesin's ATPase activity is stimulated by the C-terminal Winged-Helix domain of its kleisin subunitPrakash Arumugam
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Curr Biol 16:1998-2008. 2006..Whereas Smc1 and Smc3 heterodimerize via their hinge domains, the kleisin subunit Scc1 connects their ATPase heads, and this results in the formation of a large ring...
- Suppression of interleukin 6 and 8 production in head and neck cancer cells with curcumin via inhibition of Ikappa beta kinaseAlen N Cohen
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1624, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:190-7. 2009..Interleukin 6 and IL-8 are cytokines induced by NF-kappa beta activation with elevated levels in the serum of patients with HNSCC...
- Interaction of APC/C-E3 ligase with Swi6/HP1 and Clr4/Suv39 in heterochromatin assembly in fission yeastRudra Narayan Dubey
Institute of Microbial Technology, Sector 39A, Chandigarh 160036, India
J Biol Chem 284:7165-76. 2009..isopeptide ligase (E3 ligase) followed by degradation of Cut2 releases Cut1, which cleaves the Rad21 subunit of Cohesin, facilitating sister chromatid separation during mitosis...
- In vivo analysis of cohesin architecture using FRET in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJohn Mc Intyre
Chromosome Segregation Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, London, UK
EMBO J 26:3783-93. 2007..The circumference consists of the Smc1 and Smc3 subunits, while Scc1 is thought to close the ring by bridging the Smc (structural maintenance of chromosomes) ATPase head domains...
- The Drosophila RAD21 cohesin persists at the centromere region in mitosisW D Warren
Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, St Andrews Place, East, Victoria 3002, Melbourne, Australia
Curr Biol 10:1463-6. 2000..We conclude that in Drosophila, and possibly all metazoans, a minor pool of cohesin remains bound to centromere-proximal chromatin after prophase and maintains sister-chromatid cohesion until the metaphase-anaphase transition...
- Length control of the metaphase spindleGohta Goshima
Physiology Course 2004, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA
Curr Biol 15:1979-88. 2005..Although a number of molecular perturbations have been shown to influence spindle length, a global understanding of the factors that determine metaphase spindle length has not been achieved...
- Transcription of cholesterol side-chain cleavage cytochrome P450 in the placenta: activating protein-2 assumes the role of steroidogenic factor-1 by binding to an overlapping promoter elementMicha Ben-Zimra
Department of Biological Chemistry, Institute of Life Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel 91904
Mol Endocrinol 16:1864-80. 2002..To address this possibility, we used SCC1, a well conserved proximal region in the P450scc genes (-60/-32 in the rat gene) to purify PNF from human term ..
- Overexpression of Separase induces aneuploidy and mammary tumorigenesisNenggang Zhang
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Texas Children s Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13033-8. 2008Separase is an endopeptidase that separates sister chromatids by cleaving cohesin Rad21 during the metaphase-to-anaphase transition...
- Cell-type-specific TEV protease cleavage reveals cohesin functions in Drosophila neuronsAndrea Pauli
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Dev Cell 14:239-51. 2008..At the metaphase to anaphase transition, proteolytic cleavage of the alpha kleisin subunit (Rad21) by separase causes cohesin's dissociation from chromosomes and triggers sister-chromatid ..
- Cohesion establishment factor, Eco1 represses transcription via association with histone demethylase, LSD1Hyun Kyung Choi
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Suwon 440 746, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 394:1063-8. 2010..Eco1 acetylates Smc3 and Mcd1 (Rad21) to establish cohesion during S phase and in response to DNA damage, respectively...
- Hos1 is a lysine deacetylase for the Smc3 subunit of cohesinBo Xiong
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Curr Biol 20:1660-5. 2010..is established during S phase, and this process requires the four subunits of the cohesin complex (Smc1, Smc3, Mcd1/Scc1, and Irr1/Scc3) and the acetyltransferase Eco1 [10-13]...
- Cohesin is dispensable for centromere cohesion in human cellsLaura A Diaz Martinez
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e318. 2007..Proper regulation of the cohesion at the centromeres of human chromosomes is essential for accurate genome transmission. Exactly how cohesion is maintained and is then dissolved in anaphase is not understood...
- A model for ATP hydrolysis-dependent binding of cohesin to DNAStefan Weitzer
Chromosome Segregation Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, Lincoln s Inn Fields Laboratories, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 13:1930-40. 2003..The mechanism by which cohesin binds to DNA, and how sister chromatid cohesion is established, is unknown...
- Separase-mediated cleavage of cohesin at interphase is required for DNA repairKoji Nagao
Department of Biophysics, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Yoshida Honmachi, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Nature 430:1044-8. 2004..10) mutants were additive with cut2(EA2), whereas recombination repair rhp51 (ref. 11) and cohesin subunit rad21 (ref. 12) mutants were not. Cohesin was hyper-modified on ultraviolet irradiation in a Rad3 kinase-dependent way...
- Roles of human AND-1 in chromosome transactions in S phaseNaoko Yoshizawa-Sugata
Genome Dynamics Project, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, 2 1 6 Kamikitazawa, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156 8506, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:20718-28. 2009..Furthermore, AND-1 interacts with cohesin proteins Smc1, Smc3, and Rad21/Scc1, consistent with proposed roles of yeast counterparts of AND-1 in sister chromatid cohesion...
- Chromosome elimination in the interspecific hybrid medaka between Oryzias latipes and O. hubbsiC Sakai
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, Faculty of Advanced Life Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 060 0810, Japan
Chromosome Res 15:697-709. 2007..gamma-tubulin, inner centromere protein, Cdc20, Mad2, phospho-histone H3 and cohesin subunits (SMC1alpha, SMC3 and Rad21) showed that the expression patterns of these proteins in the hybrid embryos are similar to those in the wild-type ..
- Regulation of initiation of S phase, replication checkpoint signaling, and maintenance of mitotic chromosome structures during S phase by Hsk1 kinase in the fission yeastT Takeda
Departments of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 108 8639, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 12:1257-74. 2001..of proper chromatin structures during mitotic S phase through regulating the functions of Rad3 (ATM)-Cds1 and Rad21 (cohesin), respectively, in addition to expected essential roles for initiation of mitotic DNA replication through ..
- Fate of embryonal carcinoma cells injected into postimplantation mouse embryosSimonetta Astigiano
S S Animali Transgenici, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Differentiation 73:484-90. 2005..embryonic environment to "normalize" tumorigenic cells, and to study their homing, we transplanted F9, Nulli-SCC1, and P19 EC cells into 8 to 15-day allogenic CD1 mouse embryos, into allogenic CD1 newborns, and into syngeneic ..
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma: genome-wide expression patterns reflecting general resistance mechanisms and a proposal of novel targetsOluf Dimitri Røe
Department of Oncology, St Olavs Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Lung Cancer 67:57-68. 2010..We propose CHEK1, RAD21, FANCD2 and RAN as new co-targets for mesothelioma treatment...
- Characterization of gene expression profile associated with energy restriction-induced cold tolerance of heartYasuhiko Wada
Department of Hygiene, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, 663 8501, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 59:313-6. 2002..Gene expression analysis using cDNA array was useful for screening genes associated with ER-induced cold adaptation...
- ATP7B detoxifies silver in ciliated airway epithelial cellsAida Ibricevic
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 243:315-22. 2010..Toward this goal, we previously developed a methylated caffeine silver acetate compound, SCC1, that exhibits broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity against clinical strains of bacteria in vitro and when ..
- Plant-specific protein MCD1 determines the site of chloroplast division in concert with bacteria-derived MinDHiromitsu Nakanishi
Initiative Research Program, Advanced Science Institute, RIKEN, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Curr Biol 19:151-6. 2009..Here we show that a plant-specific protein MULTIPLE CHLOROPLAST DIVISION SITE 1 (MCD1) regulates FtsZ ring positioning in Arabidopsis thaliana chloroplasts...
- Centriole separation in DNA damage-induced centrosome amplificationChiara Saladino
Centre for Chromosome Biology, Department of Biochemistry and NCBES, National University of Ireland Galway, University Road, Galway, Ireland
Environ Mol Mutagen 50:725-32. 2009..amplification occurs after ionising radiation (IR) in chicken DT40 cells that lack DNA-PK, Ku70, H2AX, Xpa, and Scc1, demonstrating that these activities are not required for centrosome amplification...
- Pds5 is required for homologue pairing and inhibits synapsis of sister chromatids during yeast meiosisHui Jin
Department of Biological Science, The Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA
J Cell Biol 186:713-25. 2009..In addition, meiotic chromosomes undergo hypercondensation. When the mitotic cohesin subunit Mcd1 is substituted for Rec8 in Pds5-depleted cells, chromosomes still hypercondense, but synapsis of sister chromatids ..
- Evidence that loading of cohesin onto chromosomes involves opening of its SMC hingeStephan Gruber
Institute of Molecular Pathology, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Cell 127:523-37. 2006..N- and C-terminal domains within cohesin's kleisin subunit Scc1 bind to Smc3 and Smc1 ATPase heads respectively, thereby creating a huge tripartite ring...
- A role for Drosophila Polo protein in chromosome resolution and segregation during mitosisSusana Godinho
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia, Oeiras, Portugal
Cell Cycle 7:2529-34. 2008..that chromosomes lose cohesion completely, by proteolysis of the component of the cohesin complex Scc1 (Sister chromatid cohesion 1)...
- New functions of Ctf18-RFC in preserving genome stability outside its role in sister chromatid cohesionLionel Gellon
Department of Biology, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Genet 7:e1001298. 2011..Surprisingly, chl1, scc1-73, or scc2-4 mutants defective in sister chromatid cohesion (SCC) did not increase instability, suggesting that ..
- Regulation of Separase in meiosis: Separase is activated at the metaphase I-II transition in Xenopus oocytes during meiosisHeng Yu Fan
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Cell Cycle 5:198-204. 2006..Purified xSeparase can cleave the human alpha-kleisin subunit of cohesin in vitro but cannot bind to hSecurin when these two proteins are coexpressed in 293T cells...
- Alkylation base damage is converted into repairable double-strand breaks and complex intermediates in G2 cells lacking AP endonucleaseWenjian Ma
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Genet 7:e1002059. 2011..Rad50, Xrs2)-determined resection and relied upon the recombinational repair genes RAD51, RAD52, as well as on the MCD1 cohesin gene, for repair...
- A zebrafish model of Roberts syndrome reveals that Esco2 depletion interferes with development by disrupting the cell cycleMaren Mönnich
Department of Pathology, Dunedin School of Medicine, The University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
PLoS ONE 6:e20051. 2011..revealed that different subsets of genes are regulated downstream of Esco2 when compared with cohesin subunit Rad21. Genes downstream of Rad21 showed significant enrichment for transcriptional regulators, while Esco2-regulated ..
- Lipid-lowering effects of farnesylquinone and related analogues from the marine-derived Streptomyces nitrosporeusDong Liu
State Key Laboratory of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs, Peking University, Beijing 100191, PR China
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 24:5288-93. 2014..genes carnitine palmitoyltransterase-1 (CPT-1), acyl-coenzyme A oxidase 1 (ACOX), malonyl CoA decarboxylase 1 (MCD1), pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 4 (PDK4), and cholesterol 7α -hydroxylase (CYP7A1)...
- A nucleus-encoded suppressor defines a new factor which can promote petD mRNA stability in the chloroplast of Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiD Esposito
Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Curr Genet 39:40-8. 2001Mutations in the Chlamydomonas reinhardtii nuclear gene MCD1 specifically destabilize the chloroplast petD mRNA, which encodes subunit IV of the cytochrome b6/f complex...
- Degradation of a cohesin subunit by the N-end rule pathway is essential for chromosome stabilityH Rao
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nature 410:955-9. 2001..the metaphase-anaphase transition in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the ESP1-encoded protease separin cleaves SCC1, a subunit of cohesin with a relative molecular mass of 63,000 (Mr 63K)...
- A conserved domain in the scc3 subunit of cohesin mediates the interaction with both mcd1 and the cohesin loader complexOla Orgil
Faculty of Medicine in the Galilee, Bar Ilan University, Safed, Israel
PLoS Genet 11:e1005036. 2015..Cohesin is comprised of Scc3, Mcd1, Smc1, and Smc3...
- Concurrent detection of targeted copy number variants and mutations using a myeloid malignancy next generation sequencing panel allows comprehensive genetic analysis using a single testing strategyWei Shen
ARUP Laboratories, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Br J Haematol 173:49-58. 2016..The most frequent CNVs were 7q deletion including LUC7L2 and EZH2, TP53 deletion, ETV6 deletion, gain of RAD21 on 8q, and 5q deletion, including NSD1 and NPM1...
- Reduced gene expression levels after chronic exposure to high concentrations of air pollutantsPavel Rossner
Department of Genetic Ecotoxicology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic Electronic address
Mutat Res 780:60-70. 2015..5. The qRT-PCR analysis showed a significant decrease in expression of APEX, ATM, FAS, GSTM1, IL1B and RAD21 in subjects from Ostrava, in a comparison of winter 2010 and summer 2009...
- Hidden mutations in Cornelia de Lange syndrome limitations of sanger sequencing in molecular diagnosticsDiana Braunholz
Sektion für Funktionelle Genetik am Institut für Humangenetik Lübeck, Universitat zu Lubeck, Lubeck, Germany
Hum Mutat 36:26-9. 2015..The genetic cause of CdLS is a mutation in one of five associated genes (NIPBL, SMC1A, SMC3, RAD21, and HDAC8) accounting for about 70% of cases...
- Requirement of heterochromatin for cohesion at centromeresP Bernard
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Science 294:2539-42. 2001..During cell division, newly replicated sister chromatids must cohere until anaphase when Scc1/Rad21-mediated cohesion is destroyed...
- Fission yeast Pds5 is required for accurate chromosome segregation and for survival after DNA damage or metaphase arrestShao Win Wang
Imperial Cancer Research Fund Molecular Oncology Laboratory, University of Oxford Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK
J Cell Sci 115:587-98. 2002..The S. pombe Pds5 protein was localised to punctate nuclear foci in a manner that was dependent on the Rad21 cohesin component. This, together with additional genetic evidence, points towards an involvement of S...
- Loss of STAG2 causes aneuploidy in normal human bladder cellsX Li
Department of Urology, Zhujiang Hospital, Second Affiliated Hospital of Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China
Genet Mol Res 14:2638-46. 2015..in normal bladder cells, leading to a decreased expression of the cohesin complex components SMC1, SMC3 and RAD21, but there was no obvious effect of STAG2 knockdown on cell proliferation...
- Dicer is essential for formation of the heterochromatin structure in vertebrate cellsTatsuo Fukagawa
Precursory Research for Embryonic Science and Technology of Japan Science and Technology Agency, National Institute of Genetics and The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Nat Cell Biol 6:784-91. 2004..Immunocytochemical analysis revealed abnormalities in the localization of two heterochromatin proteins, Rad21 cohesin protein and BubR1 checkpoint protein, but the localization of core kinetochore proteins such as centromere ..
- Structure of the human cohesin inhibitor WaplZhuqing Ouyang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:11355-60. 2013..cohesin, they do not affect Wapl-Pds5 binding to the cohesin subcomplex of sister chromatid cohesion protein 1 (Scc1) and stromal antigen 2 (SA2) in vitro, which is instead mediated by Wapl-N...
- Functional pathway characterized by gene expression analysis of supraclavicular lymph node metastasis-positive breast cancerYoko Oishi
Department of Molecular Diagnosis, Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
J Hum Genet 52:271-9. 2007..the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway, were constructed using six genes (DVL1, VDAC2, BIRC5, Stathmin1, PARP1, and RAD21) that were differently expressed between the good and poor outcome groups...
- Cetuximab-based immunotherapy and radioimmunotherapy of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaGang Niu
Imaging Sciences Training Program, Radiology and Imaging Sciences, Clinical Center and National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, NIH, Bethesda, MD20892, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:2095-105. 2010....
- Sensors at centrosomes reveal determinants of local separase activityFikret Gurkan Agircan
Zentrum fur Molekulare Biologie der Universitat Heidelberg, DKFZ ZMBH Allianz, Heidelberg, Germany
PLoS Genet 10:e1004672. 2014..To gain insight into the activity of separase at centrosomes, we developed two separase activity sensors: mCherry-Scc1(142-467)-ΔNLS-eGFP-PACT and mCherry-kendrin(2059-2398)-eGFP-PACT...
- Coordinated requirements of human topo II and cohesin for metaphase centromere alignment under Mad2-dependent spindle checkpoint surveillanceYusuke Toyoda
Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Yoshida Honmachi, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 17:2287-302. 2006..Here we report direct observations of mitotic progression in individual HeLa cells after functional disruptions of hRad21, NIPBL, a loading factor for hRad21, and topo II alpha,beta by RNAi and a topo II inhibitor, ICRF-193...
- TCEB1 promotes invasion of prostate cancer cellsSanni E Jalava
Laboratory of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Int J Cancer 124:95-102. 2009..We have previously shown that TCEB1, EIF3S3, KIAA0196 and RAD21 are amplified and overexpressed in prostate cancer and they are located in the 8q area...
- The budding yeast cohesin gene SCC1/MCD1/RHC21 genetically interacts with PKA, CDK and APCS J Heo
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Tokyo, Japan
Curr Genet 36:329-38. 1999..chromatid cohesion, we have isolated multicopy suppressors of a temperature-sensitive (ts) mutation in the SCC1/MCD1/RHC21 gene which encodes a component of the cohesin complex in budding yeast...
- Genes and chromosomal breakpoints in the Langer-Giedion syndrome region on human chromosome 8H J Ludecke
Institut fur Humangenetik, Universitatsklinikum, Essen, Germany
Hum Genet 105:619-28. 1999..aim to identify the TRPS1 gene, we analyzed 23 human expressed sequence tags (ESTs) and four genes (EIF3S3, RAD21, OPG, CXIV) which had been assigned to human 8q24.1...
- Receptor tyrosine phosphatases control tracheal tube geometries through negative regulation of Egfr signalingMili Jeon
Broad Center, Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Development 136:3121-9. 2009..PTPRJ corresponds to the murine Scc1 (suppressor of colon cancer) gene.
- A predictive modeling approach for cell line-specific long-range regulatory interactionsSushmita Roy
Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, 330 N Orchard Street, Madison, WI, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 43:8694-712. 2015..Our results suggest that CTCF, RAD21, a general transcription factor (TBP) and activating chromatin marks are important determinants of enhancer-..
- Role of Securin, Separase and Cohesins in female meiosis and polar body formation in DrosophilaZhihao Guo
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9B 2P1
J Cell Sci 129:531-42. 2016..in meiosis is controlled by a conserved pathway that culminates in Separase-mediated cleavage of the α-kleisin Rec8, leading to dissolution of cohesin rings...
- Assaying the spindle checkpoint in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeChristopher M Yellman
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottsville, USA
Methods Mol Biol 280:275-90. 2004..monitoring sister chromatid separation using GFP-tagged chromosomes, Pds1 stability using immunofluorescence, and Mcd1/Scc1 association with chromatin using chromosome spreads...
- A novel alpha-helical protein, specific to and highly conserved in plants, is associated with the nuclear matrix fractionAnnkatrin Rose
Plant Biotechnology Center and Department of Plant Biology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Exp Bot 54:1133-41. 2003A cDNA for a novel plant protein was isolated from tomato. Nuclear Matrix Protein 1 (NMP1) is a ubiquitously expressed 36 kDa protein, which has no homologues in animals and fungi, but is highly conserved among flowering and non-flowering ..
- Analysis of Scc1-deficient cells defines a key metaphase role of vertebrate cohesin in linking sister kinetochoresPaola Vagnarelli
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, Swann Building, King s Buildings, University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, UK
EMBO Rep 5:167-71. 2004Cleavage of the cohesin subunit Scc1p/Mcd1p/Rad21 permits sister chromatid separation and is considered to trigger anaphase onset...
- GacS-dependent production of 2R, 3R-butanediol by Pseudomonas chlororaphis O6 is a major determinant for eliciting systemic resistance against Erwinia carotovora but not against Pseudomonas syringae pv. tabaci in tobaccoSong Hee Han
Agricultural Plant Stress Research Center, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Korea
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 19:924-30. 2006..carotovora SCC1, causing soft-rot, and Pseudomonas syringae pv. tabaci, causing wildfire...
- Regulation of chromosome segregation by SMC complexes and Top2 in S. pombeMATTHEW J O'CONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, the same collection of rad mutants includes the cohesin gene rad21. Further, Smc5/6 is essential for cell viability, but DNA repair genes are not...
- Kinetochore Function and Cell Cycle Progression RevisionKatsumi Kitagawa; Fiscal Year: 2012..Sgo1 protects centromeric cohesin (Scc1/RAD21). BUB1 regulates the stability and centromeric localization of SGO1 in human cells...
- Regulation of KSHV LatencyPaul M Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. smc1, smc3, rad21)...
- The Cytogenetics of Meiosis of MaizeWILLIAM ZACHEUS CANDE; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will use ChIP on tiling arrays to identify histone modifications and RAD21/REC8 binding sites in a defined chromosome region...
- The role of establishment factors in cohesionJerard Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..These genes are divided into three groups: structural factors, made up of the four-subunit cohesin complex (Smc1, Scc1, Smc3 and Scc3), which holds sister chromatids together after replication...
- Role of CTCF and Cohesin in V(D)J RearrangementAnn J Feeney; Fiscal Year: 2013..To demonstrate whether CTCF and/or cohesin are necessary for IgH locus contraction, we will knock down CTCF or Rad21 in pro-B cells and assess whether locus contraction is affected using 3D-FISH...
- Molecular Basis of AneuploidyDebananda Pati; Fiscal Year: 2010..ESPL1, which encodes an endopeptidase called Separase that separates joined sister chromatids by cleaving cohesin Rad21/SCC1/MCD1 during the metaphase to anaphase transition...
- Role of MRK in DNA Damage ResponseRosamaria Ruggieri; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ATM-Chk2/Chkl-Cdc25A cascade, downstream of the BRCT-motif-containing proteins MCD1, Nbsl and 53BP1, plays an important role in gamma-radiation-induced cell cycle arrest in S and G2 phase...
- Antigen Presentation Pathway by CD1 MoleculesMitchell Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..restricted intracellular trafficking, and carry out cell fractionation studies to determine where processing and mCD1 antigen binding occur...
- Mitotic Regulation of Apoptosis in LeukemiaDebananda Pati; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cohesin Rad21, a mitotic regulatory protein may play an important role in the interface between cell proliferation and apoptosis...
- Antigen Presentation Pathway by CD1 MoleculesPING LAWTON; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will analyze the intracellular trafficking of antigens and mCD1 d, glycolipid antigen processing, and the in vivo effects on NKT cells resulting from the alteration of the antigen ..
- Peptide Morphing: Rational Design of Separase InhibitorsWebster Santos; Fiscal Year: 2005Separase has recently been identified as a cysteine protease that cleaves the Scc1 subunit of cohesin, a complex protein that physically connects sister chromatids and serves important functions in mitotic spindle dynamics...
- ANTIGEN PRESENTATION AND IMMUNE REGULATION BY CD1Mitchell Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..1 (mCD1), in order to define how mCD1 can stimulate autoreactive, T cells and present both lipid and peptide antigens...
- PDS5P IN SISTER CHROMATID COHESIONVincent Guacci; Fiscal Year: 2005..The types of genetic instability generated by mutations in pds5 and mcd1 will be quantified by measuring unequal sister chromatid recombination and sensitivity to DNA damaging agents...
- Analysis of Cdc20-Mad2 in spindle checkpoint signallingCLINTON COPELAND; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will use temperature sensitive mcd1-1 mutants to screen for genes involved in this process...
- Analyses of sigma factor 28 of C. trachomatisLi Shen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Information derived from these studies may lead to a better understanding of global regulation of genes, intracellular parasitism, virulence, immune evasion and persistence of C. trachomatis. ..
- YEAST CHROMOSOME STRUCTURE, REPLICATION AND SEGREGATIONAngelika Amon; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our objective for this meeting is to continue the extremely high level of excitement and scientific excellence that has characterized the past seven conferences. ..
- THE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN CF PSEUDOMONAL LUNG INFECTIONCAROLYN CANNON; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Silver carbene complexes as treatment of CF lung diseaseCAROLYN CANNON; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..