Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PPARGC1A
Description: PPARG coactivator 1 alpha
Alias: LEM6, PGC-1(alpha), PGC-1alpha, PGC-1v, PGC1, PGC1A, PPARGC1, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha, L-PGC-1alpha, PGC-1-alpha, PPAR gamma coactivator variant form, PPARGC-1-alpha, PPARgamma coactivator 1alpha, ligand effect modulator-6, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B4-3ext, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B4-8a, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B5-NT
Publications227 found, 100 shown here
- Transcriptional co-activator PGC-1 alpha drives the formation of slow-twitch muscle fibresJiandie Lin
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 418:797-801. 2002..These data indicate that PGC-1 alpha is a principal factor regulating muscle fibre type determination...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha promoter polymorphisms are associated with early-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus in the Korean populationJ H Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul, 110 744, South Korea
Diabetologia 48:1323-30. 2005..Therefore, genetic variation of PPARGC1A could be implicated in the onset of type 2 diabetes...
- A cold-inducible coactivator of nuclear receptors linked to adaptive thermogenesisP Puigserver
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cell 92:829-39. 1998..These results indicate that PGC-1 plays a key role in linking nuclear receptors to the transcriptional program of adaptive thermogenesis...
- Brief intense interval exercise activates AMPK and p38 MAPK signaling and increases the expression of PGC-1alpha in human skeletal muscleMartin J Gibala
Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:929-34. 2009....
- The transcriptional coactivator PGC-1 regulates the expression and activity of the orphan nuclear receptor estrogen-related receptor alpha (ERRalpha)Sylvia N Schreiber
Division of Biochemistry, Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 278:9013-8. 2003....
- Analysis of PGC-1alpha variants Gly482Ser and Thr612Met concerning their PPARgamma2-coactivation functionInke Nitz
Molecular Nutrition, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 353:481-6. 2007..This is the first study implicating that the Gly482Ser and Thr612Met polymorphisms in PGC-1alpha and Pro12Ala polymorphism in PPARgamma2 do not affect the functional integrity of these proteins...
- PGC1α promotes tumor growth by inducing gene expression programs supporting lipogenesisKavita Bhalla
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Cancer Res 71:6888-98. 2011..PPARγ coactivator 1α (PGC1α) is a key transcriptional regulator of several metabolic pathways including oxidative metabolism and lipogenesis...
- DNA sequence variants in PPARGC1A, a gene encoding a coactivator of the ω-3 LCPUFA sensing PPAR-RXR transcription complex, are associated with NV AMD and AMD-associated loci in genes of complement and VEGF signaling pathwaysJohn Paul SanGiovanni
Clinical Trials Branch, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e53155. 2013..We postulated that DNA sequence variation in PPAR gamma (PPARG) co-activator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A), a gene encoding a co-activator of the LCPUFA-sensing PPARG-retinoid X receptor (RXR) transcription complex, may ..
- PGC-1α is a male-specific disease modifier of human and experimental amyotrophic lateral sclerosisJudith Eschbach
Neurology, Ulm University, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 22:3477-84. 2013..In summary, we indentify PGC-1α as a novel and clinically relevant disease modifier of human and experimental ALS and report a sex-dependent effect of PGC-1α in this neurodegenerative disorder. ..
- PGC-1alpha: a key regulator of energy metabolismHuiyun Liang
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, Audie Murphy Veterans Administration Medical Center and University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 30:145-51. 2006..In particular, its regulatory function in lipid metabolism makes it an inviting target for pharmacological intervention in the treatment of obesity and Type 2 diabetes...
- PGC-1alpha: a potent transcriptional cofactor involved in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetesS Soyal
Department of Internal Medicine, Krankenhaus Hallein, 5400, Hallein, Austria
Diabetologia 49:1477-88. 2006....
- Matched work high-intensity interval and continuous running induce similar increases in PGC-1α mRNA, AMPK, p38, and p53 phosphorylation in human skeletal muscleJonathan D Bartlett
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol (1985) 112:1135-43. 2012..Furthermore, this is the first report of contraction-induced p53 phosphorylation in human skeletal muscle, thus highlighting an additional pathway by which exercise may initiate mitochondrial biogenesis...
- A novel heterozygous mutation in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma gene in a patient with familial partial lipodystrophyAnil K Agarwal
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases and Center for Human Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:408-11. 2002..None of the four unaffected family members harbored the mutation. We conclude that heterozygous, R425C, mutation in PPARG could be the molecular basis for one of the familial partial lipodystrophy phenotypes...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) and associated transcription factors in colon cancer: reduced expression of PPARgamma-coactivator 1 (PGC-1)Jonas Feilchenfeldt
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University Hospital Geneva, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Cancer Lett 203:25-33. 2004..Taken together our data suggest that the transcriptional activity of PPARgamma may not only be decreased by mutation but also by downregulation of the coactivator PGC-1 of PPARgamma...
- Transcriptional repression of PGC-1alpha by mutant huntingtin leads to mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegenerationLibin Cui
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegeneration, Charlestown, MA 02129 USA
Cell 127:59-69. 2006..These studies suggest a key role for PGC-1alpha in the control of energy metabolism in the early stages of HD pathogenesis...
- Distinct regulation of hepatitis B virus biosynthesis by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha and small heterodimer partner in human hepatoma cell linesCaitlin R Ondracek
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Virol 83:12545-51. 2009..Therefore, this approach indicates that the transcriptional regulation of HBV biosynthesis in HepG2 and Huh7 cells is primarily controlled by different transcription factors...
- Activation of PPARgamma coactivator-1 through transcription factor dockingP Puigserver
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 286:1368-71. 1999..Thus, transcription factor docking switches on the activity of a coactivator protein...
- The coactivator PGC-1 cooperates with peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha in transcriptional control of nuclear genes encoding mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation enzymesR B Vega
Center for Cardiovascular Research, Departments of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:1868-76. 2000....
- CREB regulates hepatic gluconeogenesis through the coactivator PGC-1S Herzig
Peptide Biology Laboratories, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037 1002, USA
Nature 413:179-83. 2001..Fasting hyperglycaemia is strongly correlated with type II diabetes, so our results suggest that the activation of PGC-1 by CREB in liver contributes importantly to the pathogenesis of this disease...
- The biology of PGC-1α and its therapeutic potentialChristoph Handschin
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Trends Pharmacol Sci 30:322-9. 2009..In addition, perspectives regarding the therapeutic importance of PGC-1alpha-controlled cellular and systemic metabolism are outlined...
- PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser polymorphism is associated with the plasma adiponectin level in type 2 diabetic menYukiyoshi Okauchi
Department of Metabolic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Endocr J 55:991-7. 2008..Therefore the observed gender-specific association between PGC-1alpha and the plasma adiponectin level may reflect linkage disequilibrium of Gly482Ser polymorphism with other causative variations...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha) and sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) reside in mitochondria: possible direct function in mitochondrial biogenesisKatia Aquilano
Department of Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, 00133 Rome, Italy
J Biol Chem 285:21590-9. 2010..Finally, this work adds new knowledge on the function of SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha and highlights the direct involvement of such proteins in regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis...
- The PGC-1-related protein PERC is a selective coactivator of estrogen receptor alphaDieter Kressler
Division of Biochemistry, Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 277:13918-25. 2002..Finally, PERC enhances the ERalpha-mediated response to the partial agonist tamoxifen, while PGC-1 modestly represses it. The two coactivators are likely to mediate distinct, tissue-specific responses to estrogens...
- Identification of a transcriptionally active peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha -interacting cofactor complex in rat liver and characterization of PRIC285 as a coactivatorSailesh Surapureddi
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:11836-41. 2002..The composition of this complex may provide insight into the basis of tissue and species sensitivity to peroxisome proliferators...
- Potentiation of liver X receptor transcriptional activity by peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator 1 alphaHannes Oberkofler
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Landeskliniken Salzburg, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Biochem J 371:89-96. 2003Peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) gamma co-activator 1 alpha (PGC-1 alpha/PPARGC1) plays an important role in energy metabolism by co-ordinating transcriptional programmes of mitochondrial biogenesis, adaptive ..
- Gly482Ser polymorphism of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 gene might be a risk factor for diabetic retinopathy in Slovene population (Caucasians) with type 2 diabetes and the Pro12Ala polymorphism of the PPARgamma gene iMojca Globocnik Petrovic
Eye Clinic, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Slovenia
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 21:470-4. 2005..The PPARgamma gene and its coactivator, the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PPARGC1) gene, have been implicated to be involved in glucose uptake and altered lipid oxidation...
- Acute endurance exercise increases the nuclear abundance of PGC-1alpha in trained human skeletal muscleJonathan P Little
Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Ivor Wynne Centre, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R912-7. 2010....
- No association between the G482S polymorphism of the proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PGC-1) gene and Type II diabetes in French CaucasiansC Lacquemant
Diabetologia 45:602-3; author reply 604. 2002
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms of PPARD in combination with the Gly482Ser substitution of PGC-1A and the Pro12Ala substitution of PPARG2 predict the conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes: the STOP-NIDDM trialLaura Andrulionyte
Department of Medicine, University of Kuopio, 70210 Kuopio, Finland
Diabetes 55:2148-52. 2006..We conclude that SNPs in PPARD modify the conversion from IGT to type 2 diabetes, particularly in combination with the SNPs of PGC-1A and PPARG2...
- PPARGC1A coding variation may initiate impaired NEFA clearance during glucose challengeP W Franks
Genetic Epidemiology and Clinical Research Group, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Section for Medicine, Umea University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Diabetologia 50:569-73. 2007The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha protein, encoded by the PPARGC1A gene, transcriptionally activates a complex pathway of lipid and glucose metabolism and is expressed primarily in tissues of high ..
- PPAR-alpha L162V and PGC-1 G482S gene polymorphisms, but not PPAR-gamma P12A, are associated with alcohol consumption in a Spanish Mediterranean populationF Frances
Department of Preventive and Legal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Clin Chim Acta 398:70-4. 2008..However, no studies in humans exist. Our aim is to estimate the possible association between polymorphisms in the PPAR-alpha, PPAR-gamma and PPAR-gamma co-activator 1A (PGC-1A) genes and alcohol consumption in humans...
- The PPARGC1A Gly482Ser polymorphism is associated with left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in menErik Ingelsson
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 8:37. 2008The Gly482Ser polymorphism in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PPARGC1A) has been demonstrated to be associated with diabetes, obesity and hypertension, all of which are important risk factors for left ..
- PPARGC1A sequence variation and cardiovascular risk-factor levels: a study of the main genetic effects and gene x environment interactions in children from the European Youth Heart StudyE C Brito
Genetic Epidemiology and Clinical Research Group, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University Hospital, Medicine Clinic, Level 4, Stair B, Umea, 901 87, Sweden
Diabetologia 52:609-13. 2009The PPARGC1A gene coactivates multiple nuclear transcription factors involved in cellular energy metabolism and vascular stasis...
- Human peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 (PPARGC1) gene: cDNA sequence, genomic organization, chromosomal localization, and tissue expressionH Esterbauer
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Landeskliniken Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Genomics 62:98-102. 1999..1998, Cell 92, 829-839). We report here the characterization of the human PPARGC1 gene...
- A tissue-specific coactivator of steroid receptors, identified in a functional genetic screenD Knutti
Division of Biochemistry, Biozentrum of the University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 20:2411-22. 2000..One of the identified cDNAs, isolated in the screen as ligand effect modulator 6, showed no homology to yeast or Caenorhabditis elegans proteins but high similarity to the recently ..
- Mutation analysis of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PGC-1) and relationships of identified amino acid polymorphisms to Type II diabetes mellitusJ Ek
Steno Diabetes Center and Hagedorn Research Institute, Niels Steensens Vej 2, DK 2820 Gentofte, Copenhagen, Denmark
Diabetologia 44:2220-6. 2001..This study aimed to investigate if variability in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PGC-1) gene is associated with Type II (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) coactivates the cardiac-enriched nuclear receptors estrogen-related receptor-alpha and -gamma. Identification of novel leucine-rich interaction motif within PGC-1alphaJanice M Huss
Department of Medicine, Center for Cardiovascular Research, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 277:40265-74. 2002....
- Reduced expression of PGC-1 and insulin-signaling molecules in adipose tissue is associated with insulin resistanceA Hammarstedt
The Lundberg Laboratory for Diabetes Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 301:578-82. 2003..The combined reduction of PGC-1 and insulin signaling molecules in adipose tissue implicates adipose tissue dysfunction which, in turn, can impair the systemic insulin response in the insulin-resistant subjects...
- Complex haplotypes of the PGC-1alpha gene are associated with carbohydrate metabolism and type 2 diabetesHannes Oberkofler
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Landeskliniken and Paracelsus Private Medical University Salzburg, Mullner Hauptstrasse 48, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Diabetes 53:1385-93. 2004..01). Thus, the PGC-1alpha gene locus influences carbohydrate metabolism and contributes to type 2 diabetes in the population studied...
- Common polymorphisms of the PPAR-gamma2 (Pro12Ala) and PGC-1alpha (Gly482Ser) genes are associated with the conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes in the STOP-NIDDM trialL Andrulionyte
Department of Medicine, University of Kuopio, 70210, Kuopio, Finland
Diabetologia 47:2176-84. 2004..This trial aimed to study the effect of acarbose in the prevention of type 2 diabetes...
- The Gly482Ser polymorphism in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 gene is associated with hypertension in type 2 diabetic menN Cheurfa
INSERM Research Unit 561, Hopital Saint Vincent de Paul, 82 avenue Denfert Rochereau, 75014 Paris, France
Diabetologia 47:1980-3. 2004Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PPARGC1) acts as a cofactor for several nuclear hormone receptors in many tissues and organs implicated in blood pressure regulation...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha polymorphism is not associated with essential hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus in Chinese populationShufeng Chen
Division of Population Genetics and Prevention, Fu Wai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, PR China
Hypertens Res 27:813-20. 2004..In conclusion, these results indicated that these two variations in the PGC-1alpha gene might not contribute to the risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes in the Chinese population studied here...
- Haplotypes of PPARGC1A are associated with glucose tolerance, body mass index and insulin sensitivity in offspring of patients with type 2 diabetesJ Pihlajamaki
Department of Medicine, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, 70210, Kuopio, Finland
Diabetologia 48:1331-4. 2005Decreased expression of the peroxisomal proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha gene (PPARGC1A) is found in patients with type 2 diabetes, and variants in this gene have been linked with type 2 diabetes...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and its coactivator-1 alpha may be associated with features of the metabolic syndrome in adolescentsS Sookoian
Cardiologia Molecular, Instituto de Investigaciones Medicas A Lanari, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Mol Endocrinol 35:373-80. 2005..In conclusion, the Gly482 Ser variant of the PGC-1alpha gene may be an independent genetic risk factor for young-onset hypertension...
- Meta-analysis of the Gly482Ser variant in PPARGC1A in type 2 diabetes and related phenotypesI Barroso
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Metabolic Disease Group, The Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridgeshire CB10 1SA, UK
Diabetologia 49:501-5. 2006Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PPARGC1A) is a transcriptional co-activator with a central role in energy expenditure and glucose metabolism...
- Increased risk of obesity associated with the variant allele of the PPARGC1A Gly482Ser polymorphism in physically inactive elderly menM Ridderstrale
Department of Clinical Sciences Clinical Obesity, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Diabetologia 49:496-500. 2006..allele of the Gly482Ser polymorphism in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PPARGC1A or PGC1alpha), a critical determinant of skeletal muscle metabolism, has been associated with obesity and type 2 ..
- Identification of a candidate genetic variant for the high prevalence of type II diabetes in PolynesiansSean Myles
Department of Evolutionary Genetics, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany
Eur J Hum Genet 15:584-9. 2007..The susceptibility allele in the PPARGC1A gene is at a frequency of 0.717 in Polynesians, 0.368 in Chinese but is absent in the New Guineans...
- Association between peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha gene polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes in southern Chinese population: role of altered interaction with myocyte enhancer factor 2CShao Ling Zhang
Department of Endocrinology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:1878-85. 2007....
- [Association study between PPARGC1A Thr394Thr/ Gly482Ser polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes]Yan Su
College of Life Sciences, Central China Normal University, Wuhan 430079, China
Yi Chuan 30:304-8. 2008..rs2970847(Thr394Thr) and rs8192678(Gly482Ser) of peroxisome proliferators activated receptor gamma coactivator-1(PPARGC1A)gene and type 2 diabetes in Chinese Han population in Hubei...
- Mechanisms controlling mitochondrial biogenesis and respiration through the thermogenic coactivator PGC-1Z Wu
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cell 98:115-24. 1999..These data elucidate a pathway that directly links external physiological stimuli to the regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis and function...
- Modulation of estrogen receptor-alpha transcriptional activity by the coactivator PGC-1I Tcherepanova
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 275:16302-8. 2000..It is concluded from these studies that PGC-1 is a bona fide ERalpha coactivator, which may serve as a convergence point between PPARgamma and ERalpha signaling...
- PGC-1, a versatile coactivatorD Knutti
Division of Biochemistry, Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Trends Endocrinol Metab 12:360-5. 2001..PGC-1 could therefore allow coordinated regulation of transcription and splicing in response to signals relaying metabolic needs. These novel findings are discussed in the context of the proposed physiological functions of PGC-1...
- Cytokine stimulation of energy expenditure through p38 MAP kinase activation of PPARgamma coactivator-1P Puigserver
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Department of Cell Biology, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell 8:971-82. 2001..These data illustrate a direct thermogenic action of cytokines and p38 MAP kinase through the transcriptional coactivator PGC-1...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 gene locus: associations with obesity indices in middle-aged womenHarald Esterbauer
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Landeskliniken Salzburg, Austria
Diabetes 51:1281-6. 2002Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PPARGC1) is a transcriptional coactivator that has been implicated in the regulation of genes involved in energy metabolism...
- A genetic variation in the PGC-1 gene could confer insulin resistance and susceptibility to Type II diabetesK Hara
Department of Metabolic Diseases, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Hongo 7 3 1, Bunkyo ku, Japan
Diabetologia 45:740-3. 2002..Thus, PGC-1 can be viewed as a functional and positional candidate for the susceptibility gene for Type II (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus...
- Identification of a specific molecular repressor of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma Coactivator-1 alpha (PGC-1alpha)Masaru Ichida
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cardiovascular Branch, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 277:50991-5. 2002..In addition, our results suggest that other co-activators might also have specific repressors, thereby identifying another layer of combinatorial complexity in transcriptional regulation...
- Ligand and coactivator identity determines the requirement of the charge clamp for coactivation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gammaYifei Wu
Lilly Research Laboratories, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
J Biol Chem 278:8637-44. 2003....
- Exercise induces transient transcriptional activation of the PGC-1alpha gene in human skeletal muscleHenriette Pilegaard
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre and The August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 546:851-8. 2003..Consistent with its role as a transcriptional coactivator, these findings suggest that PGC-1alpha may coordinate the activation of metabolic genes in human muscle in response to exercise...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 gene locus: associations with hypertension in middle-aged menHannes Oberkofler
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Landeskliniken, Salzburg, Austria
Hypertension 41:368-72. 2003Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PPARGC1/PGC-1) is a transcriptional coactivator of nuclear hormone receptors implicated in blood pressure regulation...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PGC-1 alpha): transcriptional coactivator and metabolic regulatorPere Puigserver
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Endocr Rev 24:78-90. 2003..Finally, PGC-1 alpha's control of energy homeostasis suggests that it could be a target for anti-obesity or diabetes drugs...
- Regulation of PGC-1 promoter activity by protein kinase B and the forkhead transcription factor FKHRHiroaki Daitoku
Center for Tsukuba Advanced Research Alliance, Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Tennoudai 1 1 1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8577, Japan
Diabetes 52:642-9. 2003..These results indicate that signaling via PKB to FKHR can partly account for the effect of insulin to regulate the PGC-1 promoter activity via the IRSs...
- A Gly482Ser missense mutation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 is associated with altered lipid oxidation and early insulin secretion in Pima IndiansYunhua Li Muller
Phoenix Epidemiology and Clinical Research Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease NIH, 4212 N 16th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
Diabetes 52:895-8. 2003..These data indicate that the Gly482Ser missense polymorphism in PGC-1 has metabolic consequences on lipid metabolism that could influence insulin secretion...
- Coordinated reduction of genes of oxidative metabolism in humans with insulin resistance and diabetes: Potential role of PGC1 and NRF1Mary Elizabeth Patti
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:8466-71. 2003..is decreased only in diabetic subjects, expression of both PPAR gamma coactivator 1-alpha and-beta (PGC1-alpha/PPARGC1 and PGC1-beta/PERC), coactivators of NRF-1 and PPAR gamma-dependent transcription, is decreased in both diabetic ..
- PGC-1alpha mRNA expression is influenced by metabolic perturbation in exercising human skeletal muscleJessica Norrbom
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Section of Molecular Exercise Physiology, Karolinska Institutet, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:189-94. 2004..This suggests that calcineurin may be activated by exercise in humans and does not exclude that calcineurin could play a role in PGC-1 transcription activation in human skeletal muscle...
- PGC-1alpha activates CYP7A1 and bile acid biosynthesisDong Ju Shin
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine California 92697 3900, USA
J Biol Chem 278:50047-52. 2003..Our studies provide further evidence of the fundamental role played by PGC-1alpha in oxidative metabolism and define PGC-1alpha as a link between diabetes and bile acid metabolism...
- Endurance training in humans leads to fiber type-specific increases in levels of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha in skeletal muscleAaron P Russell
Clinique romande de réadaptation, Suva, Sion, Switzerland Endocrine Unit, University Hospital Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Diabetes 52:2874-81. 2003..001). The increases in PGC-1 and PPAR-alpha levels reported in this study may play an important role in the changes in muscle mitochondria content, oxidative phenotype, and sensitivity to insulin known to be induced by endurance training...
- Suppression of mitochondrial respiration through recruitment of p160 myb binding protein to PGC-1alpha: modulation by p38 MAPKMelina Fan
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 18:278-89. 2004..The discovery of p160MBP as a PGC-1alpha regulator has important implications for the understanding of energy balance and diabetes...
- Studies of the Gly482Ser polymorphism of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha) gene in Danish subjects with the metabolic syndromeLouise Ambye
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Hvidovre University Hospital, Kettegaards Alle 30, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 67:175-9. 2005..In conclusion, the Gly482Ser polymorphism of the PGC-1alpha gene is not associated with the metabolic syndrome, related quantitative traits or cardiac hypertrophy among Danish Caucasian subjects...
- PPARGC1A genotype (Gly482Ser) predicts exceptional endurance capacity in European menAlejandro Lucia
European University of Madrid, Spain
J Appl Physiol (1985) 99:344-8. 2005Animal and human data indicate a role for the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1alpha (PPARGC1A) gene product in the development of maximal oxygen uptake (V(O2 max)), a determinant of endurance capacity, ..
- PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser polymorphism associates with hypertension among Danish whitesGitte Andersen
Steno Diabetes Center, Niels Steensens Vej 2, NSH2 16, DK 2820 Gentofte, Denmark
Hypertension 45:565-70. 2005..001). In conclusion, the Ser allele of PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser confers a significantly reduced risk of hypertension in whites. Further studies are needed to elucidate the differential role of this polymorphism in men and women...
- Nutrient control of glucose homeostasis through a complex of PGC-1alpha and SIRT1Joseph T Rodgers
Department of Cell Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nature 434:113-8. 2005..Thus, we have identified a molecular mechanism whereby SIRT1 functions in glucose homeostasis as a modulator of PGC-1alpha. These findings have strong implications for the basic pathways of energy homeostasis, diabetes and lifespan...
- Effects of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1 Gly482Ser variant on features of the metabolic syndromeMarie Claude Vohl
Lipid Research Center, CHUL Research Center, Quebec City, Que, Canada
Mol Genet Metab 86:300-6. 2005..Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1 (PPARGC1) is a transcriptional co-activator of many nuclear receptors including PPAR-gamma, involved in the regulation of ..
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) gene polymorphisms and their relationship to Type 2 diabetes in Asian IndiansK S Vimaleswaran
Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, Gopalapuram and Dr Mohans M V Diabetes Specialities Centre, 4 Conran Smith Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai 600 086, India
Diabet Med 22:1516-21. 2005....
- The Gly482Ser missense mutation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PGC-1 alpha) gene associates with reduced insulin sensitivity in normal and glucose-intolerant obese subjectsMarzia Fanelli
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Endocrinology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Dis Markers 21:175-80. 2005..This association resulted independent from all other known modulators of insulin resistance, and suggests a primary role for the PGC-1alpha gene on the genetic susceptibility to insulin resistance in obesity...
- Effect of polymorphisms in the PPARGC1A gene on body fat in Asian IndiansK S Vimaleswaran
Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, Gopalapuram and Dr Mohan s Diabetes Specialities Centre, Chennai, India
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:884-91. 2006To evaluate whether polymorphisms in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PPARGC1A) gene were related to body fat in Asian Indians.
- Impaired coactivator activity of the Gly482 variant of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) on mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam) promoterYon Sik Choi
Asan Institute for Life Sciences, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 344:708-12. 2006..These results suggest that PGC-1alpha variants with Gly/Gly at 482nd amino acid may impair the Tfam transcription, a regulatory function of mitochondrial biogenesis, resulting in dysfunctional mtDNA replication...
- Associations of PPARGC1A haplotypes with plaque score but not with intima-media thickness of carotid arteries in middle-aged subjectsBernhard Iglseder
Paracelsus Private Medical University, Salzburg
Stroke 37:2260-5. 2006Peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha, PPARGC1A) integrates the transcriptional program of mitochondrial biogenesis...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 coactivators, energy homeostasis, and metabolismChristophe Handschin
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Endocr Rev 27:728-35. 2006..Recent studies have elucidated the function of the PGC-1 coactivators in different tissues and have highlighted the implications of PGC-1 dysregulation in diseases such as diabetes, obesity, cardiomyopathy, or neurodegeneration...
- PGC-1alpha induces apoptosis in human epithelial ovarian cancer cells through a PPARgamma-dependent pathwayYan Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Cell Res 17:363-73. 2007..Our findings indicated that PGC-1alpha was involved in the apoptotic signal transduction pathways and downregulation of PGC-1alpha may be a key point in promoting epithelial ovarian cancer growth and progression...
- PGC-1alpha Thr394Thr and Gly482Ser variants are significantly associated with T2DM in two North Indian populations: a replicate case-control studyAudesh Bhat
National Centre of Applied Human Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110067, India
Hum Genet 121:609-14. 2007The recent observations that Peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PGC1A) is responsible for the induction of reactive oxygen species (ROS) detoxifying agents and that ROS triggers insulin resistance, ..
- The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha gene (PGC-1alpha) is not associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus or body mass index among Hispanic and non Hispanic Whites from ColoradoT L Nelson
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115:268-75. 2007..In conclusion, we did not find an association between the PGC-1alpha gene and T2DM or BMI and there were no consistent interactions with diet, physical activity or the Pro12Ala polymorphism of the PPAR-gamma gene...
- Polymorphisms of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha gene are associated with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and not with hypertension hypertrophyShuxia Wang
Sino German Laboratory for Molecular Medicine, Key Laboratory for Clinical Cardiovascular Genetics of the Ministry of Education, Beijing, PR China
Clin Chem Lab Med 45:962-7. 2007..The aim of our study was to identify the association between PGC-1alpha gene polymorphisms and cardiac hypertrophy...
- Interaction between the UCP2-866G/A, mtDNA 10398G/A and PGC1alpha p.Thr394Thr and p.Gly482Ser polymorphisms in type 2 diabetes susceptibility in North Indian populationE Rai
National Centre of Applied Human Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 110067, India
Hum Genet 122:535-40. 2007..59, 5.53-13.35 at 95% CI), showed a highly significant difference and increased ORs. In a complex disease, it is always encouraging to find an additive interaction of multiple small effects of the studied candidate gene variations...
- PPARGC1A variation associated with DNA damage, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases: the Boston Puerto Rican Health StudyChao Qiang Lai
Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory, JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Diabetes 57:809-16. 2008..We sought to link peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PPARGC1A), a master transcriptional regulator of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and cellular energy metabolism, ..
- Epigenetic regulation of PPARGC1A in human type 2 diabetic islets and effect on insulin secretionC Ling
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, CRC, 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Diabetologia 51:615-22. 2008..coactivator peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (protein PGC-1alpha; gene PPARGC1A) is a master regulator of mitochondrial genes and its expression is decreased and related to impaired oxidative ..
- Genetic study between SIRT1, PPARD, PGC-1alpha genes and Alzheimer's diseaseS Helisalmi
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Unit of Neurology and Brain Research Unit, Clinical Research Center, Mediteknia, Kuopio University, PL 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Neurol 255:668-73. 2008..We conclude that there is no real association with SNPs available in the present study between SIRT1, PPARD or PGC-1alpha genes and AD risk in the Finnish population...
- The Gly482Ser genotype at the PPARGC1A gene and elevated blood pressure: a meta-analysis involving 13,949 individualsKarani Santhanakrishnan Vimaleswaran
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:1352-8. 2008The protein encoded by the PPARGC1A gene is expressed at high levels in metabolically active tissues and is involved in the control of oxidative stress via reactive oxygen species detoxification...
- Association between PPARGC1A gene polymorphisms and coronary artery disease in a Chinese populationYan Zhang
Atherosclerosis Research Center, Jiangsu Province, Nanging Medical University, Nanjing, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 35:1172-7. 2008Peroxisome proliferrator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha; PPARGC1A) is a coactivator of the nuclear hormone receptor family that participates in the transcriptional programme of lipid metabolism and oxidative ..
- Rapid exercise-induced changes in PGC-1alpha mRNA and protein in human skeletal muscleAnila S Mathai
Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:1098-105. 2008..The beta-isoform declined rather than increasing, and this was greater when glycogen was not resynthesized to rest levels...
- AMPK and PPARdelta agonists are exercise mimeticsVihang A Narkar
Gene Expression Laboratory, Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell 134:405-15. 2008..These results demonstrate that AMPK-PPARdelta pathway can be targeted by orally active drugs to enhance training adaptation or even to increase endurance without exercise...
- AMP-activated protein kinase-regulated activation of the PGC-1alpha promoter in skeletal muscle cellsIsabella Irrcher
Department of Biology, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 3:e3614. 2008..Our data identify a novel AMPK-mediated regulatory pathway that regulates PGC-1alpha gene expression. This could represent a potential therapeutic target to control PGC-1alpha expression in skeletal muscle...
- PGC-1alpha is a key regulator of glucose-induced proliferation and migration in vascular smooth muscle cellsLingyun Zhu
Jiangsu Diabetes Center, State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 4:e4182. 2009..This study was performed to investigate whether PGC-1alpha, a PPARgamma coactivator and metabolic master regulator, plays a role in regulating VSMC proliferation and migration induced by high glucose...
- PGC-1alpha as modifier of onset age in Huntington diseaseElahe Taherzadeh-Fard
Department of Human Genetics, Ruhr University, 44780 Bochum, Germany
Mol Neurodegener 4:10. 2009..Our data suggest that PGC-1alpha has modifying effects on the pathogenic process in HD...
- PGC-1alpha expression decreases in the Alzheimer disease brain as a function of dementiaWeiping Qin
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Arch Neurol 66:352-61. 2009....
- Non-CpG methylation of the PGC-1alpha promoter through DNMT3B controls mitochondrial densityRomain Barres
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Section for Integrative Physiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Metab 10:189-98. 2009..We provide evidence for PGC-1alpha hypermethylation, concomitant with reduced mitochondrial content in type 2 diabetic patients, and link DNMT3B to the acute fatty-acid-induced non-CpG methylation of PGC-1alpha promoter...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma Coactivator 1alpha and small heterodimer partner differentially regulate nuclear receptor-dependent hepatitis B virus biosynthesisCaitlin R Ondracek
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 909 South Wolcott Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Virol 83:12535-44. 2009..Additionally, this functional approach may help to distinguish the transcription factors in various liver cells governing viral biosynthesis under a variety of physiologically relevant conditions...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1-alpha overexpression prevents endothelial apoptosis by increasing ATP/ADP translocase activityJong Chul Won
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:290-7. 2010..This study was undertaken to investigate the possible preventive effect of PGC-1alpha on endothelial apoptosis and its molecular mechanism...
- Relative workload determines exercise-induced increases in PGC-1alpha mRNANikolai Baastrup Nordsborg
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Med Sci Sports Exerc 42:1477-84. 2010..The hypothesis that brief intermittent exercise-induced increases in human skeletal muscle metabolic mRNA is dependent on relative workload was investigated...
- The p65 subunit of NF-kappaB binds to PGC-1alpha, linking inflammation and metabolic disturbances in cardiac cellsDavid Alvarez-Guardia
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutic Chemistry, IBUB Institut de Biomedicina de Universitat de Barcelona Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Diagonal 643, Barcelona E 08028, Spain
Cardiovasc Res 87:449-58. 2010....
- Exercise intensity-dependent regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor coactivator-1 mRNA abundance is associated with differential activation of upstream signalling kinases in human skeletal muscleBrendan Egan
School of Health and Human Performance, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland
J Physiol 588:1779-90. 2010..This effect is mediated by differential activation of multiple signalling pathways, with ATF-2 and HDAC phosphorylation proposed as key intensity-dependent mediators...
- PGC-1alpha down-regulation affects the antioxidant response in Friedreich's ataxiaDaniele Marmolino
Laboratoire de Neurologie Expérimentale, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 5:e10025. 2010....
- Activity Dependent Signaling in Adult Skeletal Muscle Fiber PlasticityMartin F Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Min You; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Regulation and Function of the Rhox5 Homeobox GeneMILES FROME WILKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Other Rhox5-regulated genes include those encoding the key metabolic regulators PPAR?, PGC1?, resistin, and adiponectin, as well other members of the X-linked Rhox homeobox gene cluster...
- Bruce M Spiegelman; Fiscal Year: 2016..Previous work on this grant has shown that the transcriptional coactivator PGC1[unreadable] is induced with exercise in muscle and gives muscle many of the attributes seen in this tissue with ..
- S Russ Price; Fiscal Year: 2015..To accomplish this goal, we must first understand the biochemical basis for dysregulation of PGC1a during CKD-induced wasting...
- Pere Puigserver; Fiscal Year: 2016..Among the transcriptional regulators of these mitochondrial processes are the PGC1 family of coactivators and transcription factors including Nuclear Respiratory Factors, Hormone Nuclear Receptors ..
- Regulation of Skeletal Muscle Angiogenesis by PGC-1 alphaSrilatha Raghuram; Fiscal Year: 2012..I propose to investigate if this pathway can form functional blood vessels, protect against muscle damage from blocked blood vessels and henceforth provide a new therapeutic approach to this debilitating disease. ..
- Satyanarayana Ande; Fiscal Year: 2015..adipose tissue (BAT), and Id1-deficiency in mice resulted in enhanced thermogenesis due to induced expression of PGC1[unreadable] and UCP1, critical regulators of thermogenesis...
- Hei Sook Sul; Fiscal Year: 2016..element is found in the promoter regions of other BAT-enriched genes, and we detected binding and activation of PGC1[unreadable] promoter by B2. B2 expression is increased during brown adipocyte differentiation...
- Rev-ERBa Regulates Mitochondrial Biogenesis, Adiposity, and Insulin ActionThomas H Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2010..Rev-ERBa represses the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPAR?) coactivator 1 alpha (PGC1a), a master regulator of mitochondrial biogenesis...
- Effects of Dietary Fat on Contractile and Mitochondrial Function in Heart FailureMargaret P Chandler; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Mitoenergetic Failure in Brain AgingGregory J Brewer; Fiscal Year: 2013..in insulin signaling and decrease in transcriptional activators in the peroxisome proliferator family, especially PGC1a, PPAR? and NRF, also known to stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis...
- FINR: A Novel Modulator of Insulin SignalingMarc R Montminy; Fiscal Year: 2010..fibers, focusing on the potential involvement of the nuclear hormone receptor PPAR delta and the coactivator PGC1a in this process...
- Ryan M Whitaker; Fiscal Year: 2015..Additionally, mRNA expression of PGC1- [unreadable], as well as complex I proteins ND6 and NDUFB8 was increased...
- The Regulation of Mitochondrial Function by SIRT3Qiang Tong; Fiscal Year: 2010..3) To characterize the effect of SIRT3 on mitochondrial superoxide production and hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress. 4) To investigate the effect of SIRT3 on adipose oxidative stress during obesity and diabetes in vivo. ..
- Bruce M Spiegelman; Fiscal Year: 2016..b>PGC1a regulates mitochondrial biogenesis and oxidative metabolism in many tissues, and links these genetic programs to ..
- Interactions for Pesticides, mitochondria and genetics in Parkinson's disease.M Flint Beal; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study will enrich and refine our understanding of pesticide-induced cell damage pathways observed in sporadic and familial PD and identify new target(s) for intervention in PD pathogenesis. ..
- Raj M Lakshman; Fiscal Year: 2015..down regulations of silence regulator gene 1 (SIRT1) and peroxisome proliferator receptor coactivator 1 (PGC1) 1 and up-regulation of PGC1beta affect hepatic lipid oxidation and lipogenesis leading to fatty liver and ..
- Oxaloacetate's Brain EffectsRussell H Swerdlow; Fiscal Year: 2013..In mice, we found systemically administered OAA increased brain PGC1a levels...
- Zoltan P Arany; Fiscal Year: 2016..Integral to this pathway are two transcriptional coactivators, PGC-1a (ppargc1a) and its close relative PGC-1[unreadable] (ppargc1b)...
- Sara E Pinney; Fiscal Year: 2015..Expression of PPARGC1A (PGC1[unreadable]), a transcriptional coactivator that regulates mitochondrial function, is decreased in both ..
- Structural and functional studies of the nuclear receptor PPARgammaH Eric Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..provide the first view of PPAR? bound to a natural ligand;2) the PPAR? LBD in complex with the PPAR? coactivator PGC1a;and 3) a PPAR? DBD-hinge-LBD fragment bound to RXR and a DNA of the PPAR response element (PPRE)...
- Novel Paradigms in Diabetic ComplicationsKumar Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2011..We will also identify if epigenetic modification of the PGC1a promoter may underlie the reduction in mitochondrial function in patients and in animal models...
- Jonathan Sebat; Fiscal Year: 2015..of our aims is supported by the track record of the first iteration of the Psychiatric GWAS Consortium ("PGC1") where we united nearly all major groups in the field into a harmonious and functional entity and completed our ..
- Peter A Calabresi; Fiscal Year: 2016..PPAR[unreadable] in OPCs, and this occurs in association with increased pSTAT6 and expression of the coactivator PGC1a in a heteromeric complex with TRb1. IFN[unreadable] suppresses this pathway...
- Douglas G Mashek; Fiscal Year: 2015..base this hypothesis on Preliminary Studies from our laboratory showing that ATGL induces Sirt1 activity to control PGC1-A/PPAR-a signaling, mediates the effects of B-adrenergic signaling on Sirt1/PGC1- a/PPAR-a signaling, and induces ..
- Sophia Y Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2016..Interestingly, we also showed reduced expression of PGC1/ and ERR/, thus strongly implicating COUP-TFII as a regulator for controlling the PGC/ERR axis to alter fuel usage ..
- Geoffrey D Girnun; Fiscal Year: 2016..We recently showed that loss of the transcriptional coactivator PGC1 greatly reduced chemically induced hepatocellular carcinogenesis...
- DGAT1 Mediated Cardiac SteatosisDENIS J GLENN; Fiscal Year: 2013..a reduction in expression of the deacetylase SIRT1 and the second aim will explore the role of SIRT1 and PGC1 alpha in mediating the effects of lipid deposition and cardiac myocyte dysfunction...
- Junichi Sadoshima; Fiscal Year: 2016..This project has significant implications for Public Health because knowledge obtained from this study should be useful for the development of a novel treatment for HF in patients. ..
- Expression reporter mice for non-invasive imaging: PGC-1a and Huntington's DiseasPeter J Detloff; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have designed a strategy applicable to any gene which will first be tested on the mouse PGC1? locus given the many known means of regulating its gene expression...
- GENETIC AND PHYSIOLOGICAL REGULATION IN BROWN ADIPOCYTESMichael Sitrin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific aim 2 will examine the regulation of a novel BAT coactivator PGC1. Specific aim 3 examines the role of cAMP and retinoic acid response elements in mediating the response to cold ..
- Anti-aging effects of PGC-1 alpha expressionWalter Ward; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms for Fetal Hepatic Programming during Intrauterine Growth RestrictionStephanie Thorn; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our preliminary data also show that the SIRT1 deacetylase and its gluconeogenic target PGC1-alpha are up-regulated in the IUGR fetal liver...
- Pharmacogenetics of Diabetes PreventionRichard Watanabe; Fiscal Year: 2009..X receptor-a (RXRA) a critical co-factor for PPARG;and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-g coactivatoMa (PPARGC1A) a critical regulator of the PPARG-stimulated pathway...
- Regulation of SNS-dependent Remodeling of Adipose Tissue by a Novel Form of PGC-1Thomas W Gettys; Fiscal Year: 2010..Evidence has emerged to support the view that PGC1 is the critical transcriptional co-activator linking p-adrenergic receptors to transcriptional programs which have ..
- PGC-1 Co-Activators in Cardiac Metabolism and FunctionZoltan Arany; Fiscal Year: 2009..The nuclear receptor co-activator PPAR-Gamma Co-activator 1 (PGC1)-alpha is a well-established global regulator of energy homeostasis in numerous tissues;strong evidence suggests ..
- Functional Analysis of PGC1-a holo-complex in DiabetesMarcus Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2009..of sound principles and expertise for studying the transcriptional co-activator, PPAR gamma co-activator 1 alpha (PGC1-alpha), as it pertains to metabolism. Bruce M. Spiegelman, Ph.D...
- Genomic Approaches to Understanding Metabolism and AgingALEXANDRA CHAROS; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Metabolic Regulation of Reactive Oxygen SpeciesJessica Silvaggi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our findings will clarify the role of PGC-1 alpha during the transcription of several important ROS detoxifying enzymes, and help to reveal any link to ROS-related diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Transcription by AMPKYilan Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..a known AMPK target and PEPCK transcriptional regulator) and alters its interaction with the coactivator PGC1-alpha...
- GENCAC - Utah Field CenterSteven Hunt; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Physiology of Malonyl-CoA in Muscle during ExerciseWILLIAM WINDER; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will provide additional rationale for the use of regular exercise in preventing and treating type 2 diabetes and obesity. ..
- PPARs and LXR Regulate Epidermal DifferentiationKenneth Feingold; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MYOD AND MYOGENIN IN MUSCLE HYPERTROPHY AND SARCOPENIASTEPHEN ALWAY; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Id2 REGULATION OF MUSCLE HYPERTROPHY IN AGINGSTEPHEN ALWAY; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ApoB-Proteoglycan Interaction and AtherosclerosisZhouji Chen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such information will advance our understanding of mechanisms of atherosclerosis and, in turn, facilitate developing new therapeutic strategies to treat atherosclerotic diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ketone Dysregulation and Muscle Insulin ResistanceDEBORAH MUOIO; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Architecture of Aging Skeletal MuscleStephen Roth; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- The Family Blood Pressure Program (HyperGEN Network)Steven Hunt; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] (End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endocrine pancreatic cell regeneration from bone marrowMehboob A Hussain; Fiscal Year: 2010..4) To identify the cell type within BM that contributes to the pancreatic endocrine cell population. The long-term goal of these studies is to evaluate transplantation of BM derived cells as a potential treatment for diabetes mellitus. ..
- Regulation of Skeletal Muscle LKB1WILLIAM WINDER; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies will provide additional rationale for convincing a predominantly sedentary population of the importance of regular exercise in combating inactivity-related diseases. ..
- ISOLATION OF A HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIA RESISTANCE GENEKaren Reue; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, we compare Bailey and J substrains for susceptibility to aortic lesion development, as a model in which similar HDL levels occur in conjunction with vastly different LDL/VLDL levels. ..
- MULTIPLE SEVERE OBESITY RISK GENES IN UTAH PEDIGREESSteven Hunt; Fiscal Year: 2009..Validation will be tested in a large case/control series, Polynesian families, and, for chromosome 20, in the congenic mouse model. ..
- Mechanisms linking the adipogenic phenotype of aging muscle to insulin resistanceDeborah M Muoio; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Genetic Aspects of Vestibular DysfunctionStephen Roth; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed project will generate important pilot data related to the genetics of vestibular dysfunction, thus fitting within the R21 grant mechanism. ..
- TRANSCRIPTIONAL CONTROL OF COLON CANCER THROUGH PPARYBruce Spiegelman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Since PPAR-gamma ligands are clinically available now, this work may provide a framework in which to contemplate new therapeutic approaches to colon cancer. ..
- CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) in trinucleotide repeat instability and diseaseAlbert R La Spada; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we will attempt to validate the function of the antisense non-coding RNA in vivo. ..
- Validation of C. elegans "fat genes" in the mouseKaren Reue; Fiscal Year: 2005..This pilot study will reveal whether "fat genes" identified in the invertebrate C. elegans have a similar role in mammals, and may identify novel genes involved in fat storage and metabolism. ..
- Stratum Corneum Acidification in the NeonateKenneth Feingold; Fiscal Year: 2007..4) To determine if activators of PPAR alpha, PPAR delta, and/or LXR accelerate the formation of an acidic SC, the mechanism for this acceleration of acidification, and the functional consequences of such an acceleration. ..
- Mitochondrial Biogenesis and NeuroprotectionRITA COWELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..These experiments will address fundamental questions in neurobiology while revealing mechanisms of neuronal survival that could lead to new treatments for patients with neurological disorders. ..
- Effects of Psychological Stress on the Stratum CorneumKenneth Feingold; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 4: To determine if the abnormalities in permeability barrier homeostasis and SC integrity/ cohesion induced by GC treatment in humans, are due to the inhibition of epidermal lipid synthesis. ..
- Somatic support cell function in gonad developmentGERRIT BOUMA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed experiments will identify genes expressed in gonadal SSCs that play a role in gonadal XY sex reversal. ..
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF AGING IN UTAH PEDIGREESSteven Hunt; Fiscal Year: 2007..This collection of longitudinally followed pedigrees provides a powerful study design to address a wide range of genetic epidemiological analyses of aging. ..
- Gene Expression in Prediabetes: Potential Role of PGC-1MARY PATTI; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Aging Skeletal MuscleStephen Roth; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..