Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: POU4F1
Description: POU class 4 homeobox 1
Alias: BRN3A, Oct-T1, RDC-1, brn-3A, POU domain, class 4, transcription factor 1, brain-3A, brain-specific homeobox/POU domain protein 3A, homeobox/POU domain protein RDC-1
Publications143 found, 100 shown here
- Brn3a-expressing retinal ganglion cells project specifically to thalamocortical and collicular visual pathwaysLely A Quina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, California 92093 0603, USA
J Neurosci 25:11595-604. 2005..tau/beta-galactosidase, to examine target innervation by retinal ganglion cells expressing the POU-domain factor Brn3a. Brn3a is expressed in RGCs innervating the principal retinothalamic/retinocollicular pathway mediating cortical ..
- A novel POU homeodomain gene specifically expressed in cells of the developing mammalian nervous systemR G Collum
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY
Nucleic Acids Res 20:4919-25. 1992..Based on its unique structural characteristics and expression pattern, we discuss potential functions for the RDC-1 protein...
- The Brn-3 family of POU-domain factors: primary structure, binding specificity, and expression in subsets of retinal ganglion cells and somatosensory neuronsM Xiang
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Neurosci 15:4762-85. 1995....
- Brn-3.0: a POU-domain protein expressed in the sensory, immune, and endocrine systems that functions on elements distinct from known octamer motifsM R Gerrero
Eukaryotic Regulatory Biology Program, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Diego
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:10841-5. 1993..Brn-3.0, Brn-3.1, and the Drosophila tI-POU share an N-terminal region of homology, referred to as the "POU-IV box," which is similar to a conserved functional domain in the c-myc gene family...
- Inhibition of neuronal process outgrowth and neuronal specific gene activation by the Brn-3b transcription factorM D Smith
Department of Molecular Pathology, University College London Medical School, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 272:1382-8. 1997..Hence a single amino acid difference results in these closely related factors having opposite effects and allows the balance between them to regulate differentiation...
- Direct autoregulation and gene dosage compensation by POU-domain transcription factor Brn3aMay Trieu
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego and San Diego VA Medical Center, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Development 130:111-21. 2003b>Brn3a is a POU-domain transcription factor expressed in peripheral sensory neurons and in specific interneurons of the caudal CNS...
- Brn3a regulation of TrkA/NGF receptor expression in developing sensory neuronsLong Ma
Center for Developmental Biology and Kent Waldrep Foundation Center for Basic Research on Nerve Growth and Regeneration, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9133, USA
Development 130:3525-34. 2003..The molecular mechanisms regulating tissue and stage-specific expression of TrkA are largely unknown. The Brn3a POU-domain transcription factor has been implicated in the development of the PNS and proposed as a transcription ..
- Functional interaction between the small GTP-binding protein Rin and the N-terminal of Brn-3a transcription factorM Calissano
Institute of Child Health, Medical Molecular Biology Unit, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Oncogene 22:5408-14. 2003..In this work, we describe the evidence for a functional interaction between Brn-3a and Rin and demonstrate the role of Rin in modulating the activation of the Brn-3a regulated egr-1 promoter by the N-terminal domain of Brn-3a...
- Brn-3a neuronal transcription factor functional expression in human prostate cancerJ K J Diss
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 9:83-91. 2006..7 sodium channel, concomitantly upregulated in human CaP, in an isoform-specific manner. It is concluded that targeting Brn-3a could be a useful strategy for controlling the expression of multiple genes that promote CaP...
- The effects of Brn-3a on neuronal differentiation and apoptosis are differentially modulated by EWS and its oncogenic derivative EWS/Fli-1Duncan M Gascoyne
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, UCL, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Oncogene 23:3830-40. 2004..These data demonstrate that oncogenic rearrangement of EWS to produce EWS/Fli-1 may enhance the antiapoptotic effect of Brn-3a and inhibit its ability to promote neuronal differentiation...
- Neural network and "ganglion" formations in vitro: a video microscopy and scanning electron microscopy study on adult cultured spiral ganglion cellsMarja Bostrom
Department of Otolaryngology, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Otol Neurotol 28:1109-19. 2007..To analyze if adult-dissociated spiral ganglion cells may be propagated in vitro for later use in transplantation models to form integrated neural networks...
- Ocular hypertension impairs optic nerve axonal transport leading to progressive retinal ganglion cell degenerationManuel Salinas-Navarro
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Facultad de Medicina, Campus Universitario de Espinardo, Universidad de Murcia, 30100 Espinardo, Murcia, Spain
Exp Eye Res 90:168-83. 2010..Surviving RGCs were identified with FG applied 1 wk pre-LP or by Brn3a immunodetection. The ON and retinal nerve fiber layer were examined by RT97-neurofibrillar staining...
- Organization of the human embryonic ventral mesencephalonJenny Nelander
Department of Experimental Medical Science and Lund Strategic Center for Stem Cell, Biology and Cell Therapy, Lund University, Sweden
Gene Expr Patterns 9:555-61. 2009..The post-mitotic DA neurons express TH as well as NURR1 and PITX3. ISL1 and BRN3A can be used to detect the cells of OM and RN, respectively...
- Brn3a is a transcriptional regulator of soma size, target field innervation and axon pathfinding of inner ear sensory neuronsE J Huang
Program in Neuroscience, Department of Physiology, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 128:2421-32. 2001The POU domain transcription factors Brn3a, Brn3b and Brn3c are required for the proper development of sensory ganglia, retinal ganglion cells, and inner ear hair cells, respectively...
- Expression of calcitonin gene-related peptide type 1 receptor mRNA and their activity-modifying proteins in the rat nucleus accumbensNing Li
Department of Physiology, Weifang Medical College, Weifang 261042, Shandong Province, People s Republic of China
Neurosci Lett 362:146-9. 2004..In contrast, no expression was detected for RDC-1 and RAMP3. These findings indicated a functional role for CGRP and its receptors in inflammation and pain modulation...
- Unaltered expression of Bcl-2 and TAG-1/axonin-1 precedes sensory apoptosis in Brn3a knockout miceS Raisa Eng
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0603, USA
Neuroreport 14:173-6. 2003Mice lacking the POU-domain transcription factor Brn3a exhibit growth defects in trigeminal axons, undergo extensive sensory cell death in late gestation, and die at birth...
- Regulation of the development of tectal neurons and their projections by transcription factors Brn3a and Pax7Natalia Fedtsova
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093 0603, USA
Dev Biol 316:6-20. 2008..In mice expressing betagalactosidase targeted to the Pou4f1 (Brn3a) locus, Brn3a-expressing neurons contribute to the ipsilateral but not the contralateral tectofugal ..
- Brn-3a/POU4F1 interacts with and differentially affects p73-mediated transcriptionC D Hudson
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Cell Death Differ 15:1266-78. 2008The Brn-3a/POU4F1 POU transcription factor is critical for the survival and differentiation of specific sensory neurons during development or upon injury; by regulating expression of target genes, either directly or indirectly upon ..
- Distinct roles of transcription factors brn3a and brn3b in controlling the development, morphology, and function of retinal ganglion cellsTudor C Badea
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuron 61:852-64. 2009..Here we dissect the roles of the highly homologous POU-domain transcription factors Brn3a and Brn3b in retinal ganglion cell (RGC) development and function using conditional Brn3a and Brn3b alleles that ..
- POU4F1 is associated with t(8;21) acute myeloid leukemia and contributes directly to its unique transcriptional signatureJ M Fortier
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Oncology, Stem Cell Biology Section, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Leukemia 24:950-7. 2010..Dysregulation of the Pit/Oct/Unc (POU) domain-containing transcription factor POU4F1 is a recurring abnormality in t(8;21) AML...
- Key basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor genes Hes1 and Ngn2 are regulated by Pax3 during mouse embryonic developmentHiromichi Nakazaki
Laboratory for Neural Tube Research, Developmental Biology Program, Children s Memorial Research Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Dev Biol 316:510-23. 2008..Pax3, as in Splotch embryos, the neural crest cells undergo premature neurogenesis, as evidenced by increased Brn3a positive staining in neural tube explants, in comparison with wild-type...
- Dynamic expression patterns of Nkx6.1 and Nkx6.2 in the developing mes-diencephalic basal plateJuan Antonio Moreno-Bravo
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, and Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
Dev Dyn 239:2094-101. 2010..The aim of this study is to thoroughly analyze the expression pattern of Nkx6.1, Nkx6.2, and Pou4f1. These three genes are candidates to play an important role in the determination and differentiation of the basal ..
- Retinal ganglion cell numbers and delayed retinal ganglion cell death in the P23H rat retinaDiego García-Ayuso
Laboratorio de Oftalmologia Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Murcia, Campus de Espinardo, 30100 Espinardo, Murcia, Spain
Exp Eye Res 91:800-10. 2010..Quantification of the total number of RGCs identified by Fluorogold tracing and Brn3a expression, disclosed that the population of RGCs in young P23H rats is significantly smaller than in its ..
- The role of endogenous lung neuropeptides in regulation of the pulmonary circulationI M Keith
Department of Comparative Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Physiol Res 49:519-37. 2000..For example, blocking of the ET-1 receptor ET(A) and vasodilation by supplemental CGRP delivered i. v. or via airway gene transfer, have proven to be useful experimentally...
- Induction of neurogenin-1 expression by sonic hedgehog: Its role in development of trigeminal sensory neuronsMitsunori Ota
Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan
Dev Dyn 227:544-51. 2003..The number of cells that express Brn3a, a POU-domain transcription factor that plays an important role in differentiation of sensory neurons, also ..
- GATA3 and NeuroD distinguish auditory and vestibular neurons during development of the mammalian inner earGrace Lawoko-Kerali
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Molecular Physiology, Addison Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Mech Dev 121:287-99. 2004..line, US/VOT-33, expressed GATA3, the bHLH transcription factor NeuroD and the POU-domain transcription factor Brn3a, as do auditory neuroblasts in vivo...
- Identification of an N-terminal transcriptional activation domain within Brn3b/POU4f2Suzanna E Martin
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Unit 117, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Differentiation 73:18-27. 2005..transcription more than 25-fold, and similar activation was observed with the closely related factor Brn3a/POU4f1. No transactivation activity was associated with the C-terminal POU domain-containing portion of Brn3b...
- Generation of peripheral sensory and sympathetic neurons and neural crest cells from human embryonic stem cellsOz Pomp
Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Stem Cells 23:923-30. 2005..are cocultured with the mouse stromal line PA6 for 3 weeks, neurons are induced that coexpress (a) peripherin and Brn3a, and (b) peripherin and tyrosine hydroxylase, combinations characteristic of peripheral sensory and sympathetic ..
- Columnar projections from the cholinergic nucleus isthmi to the optic tectum in chicks (Gallus gallus): a possible substrate for synchronizing tectal channelsYuan Wang
Department of Neurosciences, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, 92093 0608, USA
J Comp Neurol 494:7-35. 2006..The SLu connection is more diffuse than that of Ipc. 2) Tectal inputs to Ipc and SLu are Brn3a-immunoreactive neurons in the inner sublayer of layer 10...
- Novel Brn3a cis-acting sequences mediate transcription of human trkA in neuronsXimena Valderrama
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Neurochem 105:425-35. 2008..While the regulation of the expression of trkA is a complex process, the transcription factor Brn3a is known to play an important role as an enhancer of trkA transcription during development in the mouse...
- Brn3a and Islet1 act epistatically to regulate the gene expression program of sensory differentiationIain M Dykes
Institute of Child Health, University College London, London WC1N 1EH, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 31:9789-99. 2011..of the trigeminal ganglion (TG) and dorsal root ganglia (DRG) coexpress the homeodomain transcription factors Brn3a and Islet1, and past work has revealed partially overlapping programs of gene expression downstream of these ..
- Expression of NMDA receptor subunit 1 in the rat retinaWen Fan
Eye Center, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Eye Institute of Wuhan University, PR China
Acta Histochem 115:42-7. 2013..In the ganglion cell layer, NR1-IR was expressed in all cells that were positive for the ganglion cell marker Brn3a. Our study suggests that the NR1 subunit is expressed more widely than was previously appreciated.
- The RNA binding protein RBPMS is a selective marker of ganglion cells in the mammalian retinaAllen R Rodriguez
Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at Los Angeles, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, 90095 1763
J Comp Neurol 522:1411-43. 2014..In mouse and rat retina, most RBPMS cells are lost following optic nerve crush or transection at 3 weeks, and all Brn3a-, SMI-32-, and melanopsin-immunoreactive RGCs also express RBPMS immunoreactivity...
- Comparative expression analysis of POU4F1, POU4F2 and ISL1 in developing mouse cochleovestibular ganglion neuronsMin Deng
Flaum Eye Institute, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Gene Expr Patterns 15:31-7. 2014..Here, using immunohistochemistry, we present a comparative analysis of the spatiotemporal expression pattern of POU4F1, POU4F2, and ISL1 during the development of cochleovestibular ganglion (CVG) neurons in mouse inner ear...
- Number and distribution of mouse retinal cone photoreceptors: differences between an albino (Swiss) and a pigmented (C57/BL6) strainArturo Ortín-Martínez
Instituto Murciano de Investigación Biosanitaria Virgen de la Arrixaca, El Palmar, Murcia, Spain Departamento de Oftalmología, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Murcia, Espinardo, Murcia, Spain
PLoS ONE 9:e102392. 2014..In a third set of retinas, L-opsin and Brn3a were immunodetected to determine whether L-opsin+cones and retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) have a parallel ..
- Dynamic expression of transcription factor Brn3b during mouse cranial nerve developmentSzilard Sajgo
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892
J Comp Neurol 524:1033-61. 2016..b>Brn3a, Brn3b, and Brn3c, in combination with each other and/or transcription factors of other families, can define ..
- Transient Expression of Fez Family Zinc Finger 2 Protein Regulates the Brn3b Gene in Developing Retinal Ganglion CellsChunsheng Qu
From the School of Ophthalmology and Optometry and Eye Hospital, Wenzhou Medical University, Wenzhou, Zhejiang 325000, China, the China State Key Laboratory Cultivation Base and Key Laboratory of Vision Science, Ministry of Health of China, Wenzhou, Zhejiang 325000, China, the Zhejiang Provincial Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology and Optometry, Wenzhou, Zhejiang 325000, China, the Clinical Laboratory of LiShui People s Hospital, Sixth Affiliated Hospital, Wenzhou Medical University, Lishui, Zhejiang 323000, China
J Biol Chem 291:7661-8. 2016..Fezf2knockdown by retinalin uteroelectroporation diminished BRN3B but not the coexpressed ISLET1 and BRN3A, indicating that the BRN3B decrease was the cause, not the result, of the overall reduction of BRN3B+ RGCs in ..
- Non-image Forming Light Detection by Melanopsin, Rhodopsin, and Long-Middlewave (L/W) Cone Opsin in the Subterranean Blind Mole Rat, Spalax Ehrenbergi: Immunohistochemical Characterization, Distribution, and ConnectivityGema Esquiva
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Bispebjerg Hospital, University of CopenhagenCopenhagen, Denmark Department of Physiology, Genetics and Microbiology, University of AlicanteAlicante, Spain
Front Neuroanat 10:61. 2016..The remaining RGCs were shown to co-store Brn3a and calretinin...
- Distribution of novel CGRP1 receptor and adrenomedullin receptor mRNAs in the rat central nervous systemK R Oliver
Merck, Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Neuroscience Research Centre, Harlow, Essex CM20 2QR, UK
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 57:149-54. 1998..Adrenomedullin receptor mRNA was weakly expressed, principally in the cerebellum. These findings may assist in the determination of the function of these largely uncharacterised receptors...
- mRNA expression of novel CGRP1 receptors and their activity-modifying proteins in hypoxic rat lungX Qing
Department of Comparative Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280:L547-54. 2001..Our results show upregulation of RDC-1, RAMP1, and RAMP3 mRNAs in hypoxic rat lung and no change in CRLR and RAMP2 mRNAs. These findings support a functional role for CGRP and ADM receptors in regulating the adult pulmonary circulation...
- Developmental potential of defined neural progenitors derived from mouse embryonic stem cellsNicolas Plachta
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50 70, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Development 131:5449-56. 2004..In addition, they neither expressed the DRG marker Brn3a nor the Trk neurotrophin receptors...
- Origin and plasticity of the subdivisions of the inferior olivary complexMatias Hidalgo-Sanchez
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, Paris, France
Dev Biol 371:215-26. 2012..We first report here that, in chicken, the Brn3a-expressing postmitotic medullary cells that produce the inferior olive (ION, the source of cerebellar climbing ..
- Inner ear progenitor cells can be generated in vitro from human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cellsSarah L Boddy
Centre for Stem Cell Biology and Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Regen Med 7:757-67. 2012..In this study, we explored the ability of human MSCs (hMSCs) to differentiate into otic lineages...
- Effects of a conventional photocoagulator and a 3-ns pulse laser on preconditioning responses and retinal ganglion cell survival after optic nerve crushO Sam Shibeeb
Ophthalmic Research Laboratories, South Australian Institute of Ophthalmology, Hanson Institute Centre for Neurological Diseases, Frome Rd, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Adelaide, Frome Rd, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Exp Eye Res 127:77-90. 2014..Nestin labelling allowed visualization of laser spots. Brn3a labelling identified viable RGCs...
- Role of the dorsal medial habenula in the regulation of voluntary activity, motor function, hedonic state, and primary reinforcementYun Wei A Hsu
Center for Integrative Brain Research, Seattle Children s Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98101
J Neurosci 34:11366-84. 2014..medial habenula (dMHb) are developmentally eliminated, via tissue-specific deletion of the transcription factor Pou4f1 (Brn3a)...
- Distribution of mesenchymal stem cells and effects on neuronal survival and axon regeneration after optic nerve crush and cell therapyLouise Alessandra Mesentier-Louro
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Instituto Nacional de Ciência e Tecnologia de Biologia Estrutural e Bioimagem, INBEB, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 9:e110722. 2014..and 28 days after injury, the survival of retinal ganglion cells was evaluated by assessing the number of Tuj1- or Brn3a-positive cells in flat-mounted retinas, and optic nerve regeneration was investigated after anterograde labeling ..
- Co-expression of POU4F2/Brn-3b with p53 may be important for controlling expression of pro-apoptotic genes in cardiomyocytes following ischaemic/hypoxic insultsV Budhram-Mahadeo
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Cell Death Dis 5:e1503. 2014..In contrast, the related POU4F1/Brn-3a (Brn-3a) blocks p53-mediated apoptosis but co-operates with p53 to enhance cell cycle arrest...
- Induction of ectopic retina-like tissue by transgenic expression of neurogeninRun Tao Yan
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0116171. 2015..label other types of retinal neurons, including AP2α and Pax6 for amacrine cells, Otx2 for bipolar cells, and Brn3A for ganglion cells...
- BDNF Rescues RGCs But Not Intrinsically Photosensitive RGCs in Ocular Hypertensive Albino Rat RetinasFrancisco J Valiente-Soriano
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Murcia, and Instituto Murciano de Investigación Biosanitaria Virgen de la Arrixaca IMIB Arrixaca, Murcia, Spain
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 56:1924-36. 2015To study the responses of the general population of retinal ganglion cells (Brn3a(+)RGCs) versus the intrinsically photosensitive RGCs (melanopsin-expressing RGCs [m(+)RGCs]) to ocular hypertension (OHT), the effects of brain-derived ..
- Molecular anatomy of the thalamic complex and the underlying transcription factorsAndrzej Nagalski
Laboratory of Neurodegeneration, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Warsaw, 02 109, Poland
Brain Struct Funct 221:2493-510. 2016..divisions of the adult thalamic complex are defined by the combinatorial expression of Tcf7l2, Lef1, Gbx2, Prox1, Pou4f1, Esrrg, and Six3 transcription factor genes...
- Time-dependent retinal ganglion cell loss, microglial activation and blood-retina-barrier tightness in an acute model of ocular hypertensionA Trost
University Clinic of Ophthalmology and Optometry, Research Program for Experimental Ophthalmology and Glaucoma Research, Paracelsus Medical University SALK, 5020 Salzburg, Austria Molecular Regenerative Medicine, Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria
Exp Eye Res 136:59-71. 2015..microvascular pericyte (PC) coverage was analyzed using immunohistochemistry with corresponding specific markers (Brn3a, Iba1, NG2)...
- Decreased Expression of DREAM Promotes the Degeneration of Retinal NeuronsShravan Chintala
Laboratory of Ophthalmic Neurobiology, and Eye Research Institute of Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0127776. 2015..of RGCs in cross sections and in whole mount retinas was determined by using antibodies against Tuj1 and Brn3a respectively...
- Sub-Chronic Neuropathological and Biochemical Changes in Mouse Visual System after Repetitive Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryRadouil Tzekov
The Roskamp Institute, Sarasota, FL, United States of America
PLoS ONE 11:e0153608. 2016..These changes were accompanied by a ~25% decrease in the total number of Brn3a-positive RGCs...
- Dorsal Medial Habenula Regulation of Mood-Related Behaviors and Primary Reinforcement by Tachykinin-Expressing Habenula NeuronsYun Wei A Hsu
Center for Integrative Brain Research, Seattle Children s Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98101
Eneuro 3:. 2016..Tissue-specific deletion of the transcription factor Pou4f1 in the dorsal MHb (dMHb) results in a developmental lesion of this subnucleus...
- Pou4f2-GFP knock-in mouse line: A model for studying retinal ganglion cell developmentDongwang Zheng
Zhejiang Key Laboratory of Organ Development and Regeneration, College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Hangzhou Normal University, Hangzhou, China
Genesis 54:534-541. 2016..Compared with those in wild-type mice, the expression patterns of POU4F2 and POU4F1 and the co-expression patterns of ISL1 and POU4F2 were unaffected in Pou4f2-GFP/GFP homozygote mice...
- Emergence of the sensory nervous system as defined by Foxs1 expressionAndreas Montelius
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Karolinska Institute, MBB, Scheeles väg 1 Stockholm, Sweden
Differentiation 75:404-17. 2007..of the Foxs1(-)/Sox10(+) precursors occurred within the condensed DRG starting with neurogenin-1 (Ngn1) and Brn3a expression...
- Brn3a as a marker of retinal ganglion cells: qualitative and quantitative time course studies in naive and optic nerve-injured retinasFrancisco M Nadal-Nicolás
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:3860-8. 2009To characterize Brn3a expression in adult albino rat retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) in naïve animals and in animals subjected to complete intraorbital optic nerve transection (IONT) or crush (IONC).
- Response of retinal Connexin43 to optic nerve injuryShenton S L Chew
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:3620-9. 2011..To characterize the spatial and temporal expression of Connexin43 (Cx43) after partial optic nerve transection and evaluate its relationship to retinal ganglion cell (RGC) loss and retinal glial response...
- Thy1 associates with the cation channel subunit HCN4 in adult rat retinaGloria J Partida
Section of Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior, University ofCalifornia, Davis, California 95616 8519, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:1696-703. 2012..Because Thy1 is not a membrane-spanning protein and, instead, complexes with structural and signaling proteins in other tissues, the aim of this study was to find protein partners of retinal Thy1...
- Modeling activity and target-dependent developmental cell death of mouse retinal ganglion cells ex vivoSylvie Voyatzis
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité Mixte de Recherche en Santé 839, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 7:e31105. 2012..b>Brn3a was used as a marker of the RGCs...
- Effects of bevacizumab on neuronal viability of retinal ganglion cells in ratsMaria Rosaria Romano
Dipartimento di Bioscienze, Biotecnologie e Scienze Farmacologiche, Universita di Bari, Bari, Italy
Brain Res 1478:55-63. 2012..ganglion cells following repeated injections was confirmed and quantified by the decrease in RGC specific protein Brn3a measured by western blotting in ten additional rats...
- Human sensory neurons derived from induced pluripotent stem cells support varicella-zoster virus infectionKatherine S Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e53010. 2012..Importantly, 15% of the total cell population co-expressed the markers Brn3a and peripherin, indicating that these cells are sensory neurons...
- Application of human persistent fetal vasculature neural progenitors for transplantation in the inner retinaGuochun Chen
Department of Nephrology, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, PR China
Cell Transplant 21:2621-34. 2012..neuronal progenitor markers (nestin, Pax6, and Ki67) as well as retinal neuronal markers (β-III-tubulin and Brn3a)...
- Neuroprotective effects of topical CB1 agonist WIN 55212-2 on retinal ganglion cells after acute rise in intraocular pressure induced ischemia in ratSergio Pinar-Sueiro
Department of Cell Biology and Histology, University of the Basque Country UPV EHU, E 48940 Leioa, Vizcaya, Spain
Exp Eye Res 110:55-8. 2013..Subsequently, RGCs were immunolabeled with Brn3a and automated quantification of retinal mosaics of RGCs were performed...
- Lmx1a encodes a rostral set of mesodiencephalic dopaminergic neurons marked by the Wnt/B-catenin signaling activator R-spondin 2Elisa J Hoekstra
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Neuroscience and Pharmacology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e74049. 2013..sections, confirmed that Nurr1 is regulated by Lmx1a, and additional downstream targets were identified, like Pou4f1, Pbx1, Pitx2, C130021l20Rik, Calb2 and Rspo2...
- Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells stimulate proliferation and neuronal differentiation of retinal progenitor cellsJing Xia
Department of Ophthalmology, Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 8:e76157. 2013..treatment with BMSC CM or CNTF markedly favoured RPC differentiation towards retinal neurons, including Brn3a-positive retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) and rhodopsin-positive photoreceptors, and clearly diminished retinal glial ..
- The effect of interleukin-1 on cytokine gene expression by human corneal epithelial cellsSrihari Narayanan
College of Optometry, University of Houston, 505 J Davis Armistead Building, 4901 Calhoun Road, Houston, TX 77204 2020, USA
Exp Eye Res 80:175-83. 2005..Thus our study provides insight in to the ocular surface response in conditions of inflammation and corneal wound healing where the levels of IL-1 are known to be increased...
- Differentiation of an auditory neuronal cell line suitable for cell transplantationA J Nicholl
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Addison Building, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
Eur J Neurosci 22:343-53. 2005..molecular markers characteristic of auditory neuroblasts, including the transcription factors GATA3, NeuroD, Brn3a and Islet1, as well as the neuronal cytoskeletal protein beta3-tubulin...
- Genome-wide methylation screen in low-grade breast cancer identifies novel epigenetically altered genes as potential biomarkers for tumor diagnosisMarta Faryna
German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Division of Epigenomics and Cancer Risk Factors, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
FASEB J 26:4937-50. 2012..In tumors, median methylation levels of BCAN, HOXD1, KCTD8, KLF11, NXPH1, POU4F1, SIM1, and TCF7L1 were ≥30% higher than in normal samples, representing potential biomarkers for tumor diagnosis...
- The neural crest transcription factor Brn3a is expressed in melanoma and required for cell cycle progression and survivalTobias Hohenauer
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
EMBO Mol Med 5:919-34. 2013..Here, we describe the Pit-Oct-Unc (POU) domain transcription factor Brn3a, normally involved in neuronal development, to be frequently expressed in melanoma, but not in melanocytes and ..
- Diffuse traumatic axonal injury in the optic nerve does not elicit retinal ganglion cell lossJiaqiong Wang
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 72:768-81. 2013..Quantification of immunoreactivity of Brn3a, an RGC marker, demonstrated no RGC loss; parallel electron microscopic analysis confirmed RGC viability...
- RTP801 immunoreactivity in retinal ganglion cells and its down-regulation in cultured cells protect them from light and cobalt chlorideSusana del Olmo-Aguado
Fundación de Investigación Oftalmológica, Avda Doctores Fernández Vega 34, E 33012 Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Brain Res Bull 98:132-44. 2013..However, RTP801 mRNA was elevated when compared with Brn3a mRNA, suggesting that RTP801 is activated in stressed Brn3a retinal ganglion cells...
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress in retinal vascular degeneration: protective role of resveratrolChuanzhou Li
College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:3241-9. 2012..We investigated the possible role of ER stress in retinal vascular degeneration in vivo, and the effects of resveratrol on tunicamycin and ischemia and reperfusion (I/R)-induced retinal vascular degeneration...
- Targeted knockdown of Cerkl, a retinal dystrophy gene, causes mild affectation of the retinal ganglion cell layerAlejandro Garanto
Departament de Genetica, Facultat de Biologia, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1822:1258-69. 2012..perturbation (from birth up to 12 months of age) of ganglion cells was supported by the decrease of the Brn3a marker expression as well as the reduced oscillatory potentials in the electroretinographic recordings...
- Cellular localization of P2Y₆ receptor in rat retinaP P Zhang
Institute of Neurobiology, Institutes of Brain Science and State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Fudan University, 138 Yixueyuan Road, Shanghai 200032, PR China
Neuroscience 220:62-9. 2012..Moreover, P2Y(6) immunoreactivity was seen in almost all ganglion cells, labeled by Brn3a. In Müller glial cells, stained by cellular retinaldehyde binding protein (CRALBP), however, no P2Y(6) expression ..
- Mechanism for the induction of cell death in ONS-76 medulloblastoma cells by Zhangfei/CREB-ZFTimothy W Bodnarchuk
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5B4, Canada
J Neurooncol 109:485-501. 2012..In addition, we found that the transcription factor Brn3a as well as factors implicated in differentiation were also active in Zhangfei-expressing cells...
- Whole number, distribution and co-expression of brn3 transcription factors in retinal ganglion cells of adult albino and pigmented ratsFrancisco M Nadal-Nicolás
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca Fundación para la Formación e Investigación Sanitarias de la Región de Murcia, IMIB, El Palmar, Murcia, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e49830. 2012The three members of the Pou4f family of transcription factors: Pou4f1, Pou4f2, Pou4f3 (Brn3a, Brn3b and Brn3c, respectively) play, during development, essential roles in the differentiation and survival of sensory neurons...
- High pressure-induced retinal ischaemia reperfusion causes upregulation of gap junction protein connexin43 prior to retinal ganglion cell lossNathan M Kerr
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Exp Neurol 234:144-52. 2012..astrocytes), glutamine synthetase (Muller cells), Isolectin B4 (vascular endothelium), DAPI (nuclear marker), and BRN3a (retinal ganglion cells). Retinal whole mounts were used to count retinal ganglion cells...
- Cell-autonomous FGF signaling regulates anteroposterior patterning and neuronal differentiation in the mesodiencephalic dopaminergic progenitor domainLaura Lahti
Department of Biosciences, Division of Genetics, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Development 139:894-905. 2012..Furthermore, the diencephalic DA domain forms a distinct cell population, which also contains non-DA Pou4f1(+) cells...
- Icariin ameliorates streptozotocin-induced diabetic retinopathy in vitro and in vivoHua Xin
Department of Ophthalmology, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100043, China E mail
Int J Mol Sci 13:866-78. 2012..RECA), collagen IV (Col-IV), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and neuropathic changes (Thy-1 and Brn3a expression) of the retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) were investigated...
- Brn3a/Pou4f1 regulates dorsal root ganglion sensory neuron specification and axonal projection into the spinal cordMin Zou
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Dev Biol 364:114-27. 2012..Given the expression of the POU homeodomain transcription factors Brn3a/Pou4f1 and Brn3b/Pou4f2 in DRG and spinal cord sensory neurons, we determined the subtype specification of DRG and spinal ..
- Characterization of Progenitor Cells during Canine Retinal DevelopmentMallely Avila-García
Departamento de Biologia Celular y Fisiologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, Apartado Postal 70228, Ciudad de Mexico, DF 04510, Mexico
Stem Cells Int 2012:675805. 2012..Antibodies to detected progenitor cells (Pax6, C-kit, and nestin) and ganglion cells (BDNF, Brn3a, and Thy1) were used in combination with H3 for the purpose of identifying proliferating cells...
- The Brn-3a transcription factor gene (POU4F1) maps close to the locus for the variant late infantile form of neuronal ceroid-lipofuscinosisI H Still
Department of Neurosciences NC30, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
Cytogenet Cell Genet 74:225-6. 1996We have refined the location of the Brn-3a genomic locus (POU4F1), using somatic cell hybrid analysis, to 13q21.1-->q22...
- NT-3 regulates expression of Brn3a but not Brn3b in developing mouse trigeminal sensory neuronsS Wyatt
Department of Molecular Pathology, University College London Medical School, The Windeyer Building, 46 Cleveland Street, London, WIP 6DB, UK
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 55:254-64. 1998We have used a quantitative RT-PCR approach to determine the levels of Brn3a and Brn3b POU domain transcription factor mRNAs in the developing mouse trigeminal ganglion from E10 to E18...
- Coordinated Up-regulation by hypoxia of adrenomedullin and one of its putative receptors (RDC-1) in cells of the rat blood-brain barrierA Ladoux
Institut de Pharmacologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS UPR 411, 660 route des Lucioles, Sophia Antipolis, 06560 Valbonne, France
J Biol Chem 275:39914-9. 2000..Hypoxia selectively up-regulated expression of RDC-1 receptor mRNAs. The results indicate that ADM and RDC-1 are hypoxia-sensitive genes and that RDC-1 receptors may mediate some actions of ADM in hypoxic astrocytes...
- Defects in sensory axon growth precede neuronal death in Brn3a-deficient miceS R Eng
Department of Psychiatry and Program in Neuroscience, University of California, San Diego, USA
J Neurosci 21:541-9. 2001b>Brn3a/Brn-3.0 is a POU-domain transcription factor expressed in primary sensory neurons of the cranial and dorsal root ganglia and in specific neurons in the caudal CNS...
- Brn3b/Brn3c double knockout mice reveal an unsuspected role for Brn3c in retinal ganglion cell axon outgrowthSteven W Wang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 129:467-77. 2002..During retinal ganglion cell differentiation, Brn3b is expressed first, followed by Brn3a and Brn3c...
- Gene expression of the POU factor Brn-3a is regulated by two different promotersBeate Frass
Institut für Zellbiologie Tumorforschung, I F Z, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Virchowstrasse 173, Essen, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1579:207-13. 2002..We propose therefore that the existence of two promoters in the Brn-3a gene offers a possibility for the observed differential and cell type-specific expression of the gene...
- The pro-oncoprotein EWS (Ewing's Sarcoma protein) interacts with the Brn-3a POU transcription factor and inhibits its ability to activate transcriptionG Ruth Thomas
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, UK
Cancer Biol Ther 1:428-32. 2002..The significance of this novel interaction is discussed in terms of the manner in which Brn-3a regulates its target promoters and the mechanism of oncogenic transformation by EWS-Fli1...
- Targeted blocking of gene expression for CGRP receptors elevates pulmonary artery pressure in hypoxic ratsXin Qing
Department of Comparative Biosciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, School of Veterinary Medicine, AHABS Bldg, 1656 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 285:L86-96. 2003..This is the first in vivo evidence supporting RDC-1 and RAMP1 as functional CGRP receptor and receptor component...
- Development of inner ear afferent connections: forming primary neurons and connecting them to the developing sensory epitheliaBernd Fritzsch
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Brain Res Bull 60:423-33. 2003..NeuroD and a later expressed gene, Brn3a, play a role in pathfinding to and within sensory epithelia...
- Measurement of Brn-3a levels in Pap smears provides a novel diagnostic marker for the detection of cervical neoplasiaMichael Sindos
Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Gynecol Oncol 90:366-71. 2003..We also analysed whether Brn-3a levels can be used in combination with Pap smear to predict the presence of cervical intraepithelial lesion...
- Sonic hedgehog regulates the position of the trigeminal gangliaNatalia Fedtsova
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego and San Diego VA Medical Center, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Dev Biol 261:456-69. 2003..Neurons within these ganglia coexpress the transcription factors Brn3a and Islet, which together characterize primary sensory neurons throughout the developing embryo...
- Coordinated regulation of gene expression by Brn3a in developing sensory gangliaS Raisa Eng
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, and the VA San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Development 131:3859-70. 2004Mice lacking the POU-domain transcription factor Brn3a exhibit marked defects in sensory axon growth and abnormal sensory apoptosis...
- Regulation of Hsp27 expression and cell survival by the POU transcription factor Brn3aS R Farooqui-Kabir
Cell Death Differ 11:1242-4. 2004
- Interaction of Brn3a and HIPK2 mediates transcriptional repression of sensory neuron survivalAmanda K Wiggins
Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Cell Biol 167:257-67. 2004The Pit1-Oct1-Unc86 domain (POU domain) transcription factor Brn3a controls sensory neuron survival by regulating the expression of Trk receptors and members of the Bcl-2 family...
- Functional equivalence of Brn3 POU-domain transcription factors in mouse retinal neurogenesisLing Pan
Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 132:703-12. 2005..By knocking-in Brn3a (Brn3aki) into the Brn3b locus, we showed here that Brn3aki was expressed in a spatiotemporal manner identical to ..
- Mesencephalic trigeminal nucleus development is dependent on Krox-20 expressionShampa De
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Dev Neurosci 27:49-58. 2005..gene expression or peripheral projection patterns between genotypes, as demonstrated by retrograde tracing and Brn3a immunohistochemistry...
- Short-term lineage analysis of dorsally derived Olig3 cells in the developing spinal cordLei Ding
Division of Neurobiology and Bioinformatics, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, 5 1 Higashiyama, Myodaiji, Okazaki, 444 8787, Japan
Dev Dyn 234:622-32. 2005..Some of the dorsal Olig3 lineage cells co-expressed Islet1/2, Math1, or Brn3a, markers for dorsal interneuron. LacZ-positive cells were observed in the ventral-most part of the E10...
- Differential regulation of different human papilloma virus variants by the POU family transcription factor Brn-3aD Ndisang
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, and Department of Women s and Children s Health, The Whittington Hospital, London, UK
Oncogene 25:51-60. 2006..These results help explain why the specific interplay between viral and cellular factors necessary for the progression to cervical carcinoma only occurs in a minority of those infected with HPV-16...
- Transcription factors regulating sensory gene expression and pain pathwaysEric E Turner; Fiscal Year: 2011..In these studies we have focused on the roles of the transcription factors Brn3a and Islet1, and have shown these factors to be "master regulators" of sensory neuron development and gene ..
- TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS IN CONTROL OF BRAIN DEVELOPMENTEric E Turner; Fiscal Year: 2010..The focus of the current study is the POU-domain factor Brn3a (Brn3.0, Pou4f1), expressed in primary sensory neurons at all axial levels and in selected neurons of the retina, diencephalon, ..
- Clifford J Woolf; Fiscal Year: 2016..of shRNA to DRG neurons, and of conditional ATF3 knockout limited to adult DRG neurons, using an inducible Brn3a Cre driver...
- Developmental pathways in the nervous systemEric E Turner; Fiscal Year: 2010..In prior work using transgenic mice we have shown that the POU- homeodomain factor Brn3a is required for the proper development of sensory neurons of the trigeminal and dorsal root ganglia...
- Sanjoy K Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 2016..that chronic aberrant expression of cochlin is regulated by a set of transcription factors (Barx2, Nrf2 and Brn3a)...
- Function of the Medial Habenula in Models of Anxiety and DepressionYun Wei A Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2013..In our second approach, we will use cre-lox mediated excision of Brn3a, a transcription factor essential for habenula development, to generate mice that have a defect in the dorsal MHb...
- Genes regulating neurogenesis in the trigeminal placodeMichael R Stark; Fiscal Year: 2010..Several other genes are subsequently expressed in the trigeminal placode, including Brn3a, neurogenin-2, and other downstream neuronal markers...
- Eric E Turner; Fiscal Year: 2016..Available lines target the Brn3a, Gpr151, Tac2/SK, Slc18a3, Chrnb4, Prokr2, Chrna5, Tac1/SP, and Chat genes. Aim 2...
- Developmental pathways in the nervous systemEric Turner; Fiscal Year: 2007..We are currently studying Brn3a, a member of the POU subclass of homeodomain transcription factors...
- Signaling pathways of HIPK2 in neuronal apoptosisEric Huang; Fiscal Year: 2009..In contrast, homeodomain transcription factor Brn3a antagonizes p53 and promotes the expression of TrkA and Bcl-xL...
- Roles of Homeodomain Factors in Neural DevelopmentMengqing Xiang; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have demonstrated that the POU homeodomain transcription factors Brn3a and Brn3b play essential roles during sensorineural development...
- Retinal Ischemia-induced MMPs and ganglion cell deathShravan Chintala; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Proteases in IOP-mediated glaucomatous damageShravan K Chintala; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Replacing an Animal Resource Facility Cage Washer.Kristen Drescher; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Optic Nerve Head in GlaucomaElaine Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..