Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PKN1
Description: protein kinase N1
Alias: DBK, PAK-1, PAK1, PKN, PKN-ALPHA, PRK1, PRKCL1, serine/threonine-protein kinase N1, protease-activated kinase 1, protein kinase C-like 1, protein kinase C-like PKN, protein kinase C-related kinase 1, protein kinase PKN-alpha, serine-threonine kinase N, serine/threonine protein kinase N
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Phosphorylation of histone H3 at threonine 11 establishes a novel chromatin mark for transcriptional regulationEric Metzger
Universitäts Frauenklinik und Zentrale Klinische Forschung, Klinikum der Universität Freiburg, Breisacherstrasse 66, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 10:53-60. 2008..Here we show that protein-kinase-C-related kinase 1 (PRK1) phosphorylates histone H3 at threonine 11 (H3T11) upon ligand-dependent recruitment to androgen receptor target ..
- A-kinase anchoring protein (AKAP)-Lbc anchors a PKN-based signaling complex involved in α1-adrenergic receptor-induced p38 activationLuca Cariolato
Département de Pharmacologie et de Toxicologie, Faculté de Biologie et Médecine, University of Lausanne, Lausanne 1005, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 286:7925-37. 2011..Our results indicate that AKAP-Lbc can assemble a novel transduction complex containing the RhoA effector PKNα, MLTK, MKK3, and p38α, which integrates signals from α(1b)-ARs to promote RhoA-dependent activation of p38α...
- Identification of an interaction between the TPalpha and TPbeta isoforms of the human thromboxane A2 receptor with protein kinase C-related kinase (PRK) 1: implications for prostate cancerElizebeth C Turner
School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Sciences, Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
J Biol Chem 286:15440-57. 2011..involving common and unique sequences within their respective C-terminal (C)-tail domains and the kinase domain of PRK1 (PRK1(640-942))...
- A novel inducible transactivation domain in the androgen receptor: implications for PRK in prostate cancerEric Metzger
Universitäts Frauenklinik und Zentrum für Klinische Forschung, Klinikum der Universität Freiburg, Breisacherstrasse 66, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
EMBO J 22:270-80. 2003..Here, we unravel a novel signal transduction pathway that links the RhoA effector protein kinase C-related kinase PRK1 to the transcriptional activation of the androgen receptor (AR)...
- The structural basis of Rho effector recognition revealed by the crystal structure of human RhoA complexed with the effector domain of PKN/PRK1R Maesaki
Division of Structural Biology, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan
Mol Cell 4:793-803. 1999..Here we report the 2.2 A crystal structure of RhoA bound to an effector domain of protein kinase PKN/PRK1. The structure reveals the antiparallel coiled-coil finger (ACC finger) fold of the effector domain that binds to ..
- Regulatory domain selectivity in the cell-type specific PKN-dependence of cell migrationSylvie Lachmann
Protein Phosphorylation Laboratory, London Research Institute, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e21732. 2011..It has been reported that PKN3 is required for prostate tumour cell invasion but not PKN1 or 2...
- Interaction of PKN with alpha-actininH Mukai
Radioisotope Research Center, Kobe University, Kobe 657, Japan
J Biol Chem 272:4740-6. 1997b>PKN is a fatty acid- and Rho-activated serine/threonine protein kinase, having a catalytic domain homologous to protein kinase C family...
- Phosphorylation of protein kinase N by phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 mediates insulin signals to the actin cytoskeletonL Q Dong
Department of Pharmacology and Biochemistry, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:5089-94. 2000..3-kinase downstream effector phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 (PDK1) interacted with protein kinase N (PKN), a Rho-binding Ser/Thr protein kinase potentially implicated in a variety of cellular events, including ..
- Proteolytic activation of PKN by caspase-3 or related protease during apoptosisM Takahashi
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kobe University, Kobe 657 8501, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:11566-71. 1998b>PKN, a fatty acid- and Rho-activated serine/threonine kinase having a catalytic domain highly homologous to protein kinase C (PKC), was cleaved at specific sites in apoptotic Jurkat and U937 cells on Fas ligation and treatment with ..
- Negative regulation of constitutive NF-kappaB and JNK signaling by PKN1-mediated phosphorylation of TRAF1Tomohisa Kato
Biosignal Research Center, Kobe University, 1 1 Rokkodai cho, Nada Ku, Kobe 657 8501, Japan
Genes Cells 13:509-20. 2008..Here, we demonstrate that the serine/threonine kinase PKN1 plays a critical role in regulating constitutive IKK/JNK activity in unstimulated cells and report on the molecular ..
- PKNbeta interacts with the SH3 domains of Graf and a novel Graf related protein, Graf2, which are GTPase activating proteins for Rho familyH Shibata
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kobe University, Kobe 657 8501, Japan
J Biochem 130:23-31. 2001..The catalytically active form of PKNbeta phosphorylated Graf and Graf2 in vitro. The interplay of PKNbeta and the GTPase-activating proteins, Graf and Graf2, may offer a novel mechanism regulating the Rho-mediated signaling...
- Molecular dissection of the interaction between the small G proteins Rac1 and RhoA and protein kinase C-related kinase 1 (PRK1)Darerca Owen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1GA, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:50578-87. 2003b>PRK1 is a serine/threonine kinase that belongs to the protein kinase C superfamily. It can be activated either by members of the Rho family of small G proteins, by proteolysis, or by interaction with lipids...
- PRK1 is targeted to endosomes by the small GTPase, RhoBH Mellor
Protein Phosphorylation Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 273:4811-4. 1998..We show here that the recently isolated serine/threonine kinase PRK1 is targeted to the endosomal compartment by RhoB...
- Up-regulation of myometrial RHO effector proteins (PKN1 and DIAPH1) and CPI-17 (PPP1R14A) phosphorylation in human pregnancy is associated with increased GTP-RHOA in spontaneous preterm laborJ Lartey
Clinical Sciences at South Bristol, Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, Dorothy Hodgkin Building, University of Bristol, Bristol BS1 3NY, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 76:971-82. 2007..The RHO effector protein kinase N (PKN1) also increases calcium sensitization by phosphorylating the protein kinase C (PRKCB)-dependent protein CPI-17 (..
- Regulation of a mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase, MLTK by PKNMikiko Takahashi
Biosignal Research Center and Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kobe University, Kobe 657 8501, Japan
J Biochem 133:181-7. 2003..These results suggest that PKNalpha functions as not only an upstream activator of MLTKalpha but also a putative scaffold protein for the p38gamma MAPK signaling pathway...
- Cloning and expression patterns of two members of a novel protein-kinase-C-related kinase familyR H Palmer
Protein Phosphorylation Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, England
Eur J Biochem 227:344-51. 1995..These protein-kinase-C-related kinases, PRK1 and PRK2, display extensive identity to each other, revealing non-kinase domain similar regions. HR1 and HR2...
- Further evidence that 3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 (PDK1) is required for the stability and phosphorylation of protein kinase C (PKC) isoformsA Balendran
MRC Protein Phosphorylation, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, DD1 5EH, Dundee, UK
FEBS Lett 484:217-23. 2000..levels of endogenously expressed PKCalpha, PKCbetaI, PKCgamma, PKCdelta, PKCepsilon, and PKC-related kinase-1 (PRK1) are vastly reduced compared to control ES cells (PDK1+/+ cells)...
- A 3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 (PDK1) docking site is required for the phosphorylation of protein kinase Czeta (PKCzeta ) and PKC-related kinase 2 by PDK1A Balendran
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, Division of Signal Transduction Therapy, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 275:20806-13. 2000..In the present study we demonstrate that the hydrophobic motifs of PKCzeta and PKCiota, as well as PRK1 and PRK2, interact with the kinase domain of PDK1...
- Deregulation of PKN1 activity disrupts neurofilament organisation and axonal transportCatherine Manser
MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration Research, Department of Neuroscience P037, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London, United Kingdom
FEBS Lett 582:2303-8. 2008..Damage to neurofilament transport is seen in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Here, we show that PKN1, a neurofilament head-rod domain kinase is cleaved and activated in SOD1G93A transgenic mice that are a model of ..
- PKN associates and phosphorylates the head-rod domain of neurofilament proteinH Mukai
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kobe University, Japan
J Biol Chem 271:9816-22. 1996b>PKN is a fatty acid-activated serine/threonine kinase that has a catalytic domain highly homologous to that of protein kinase C in the carboxyl terminus and a unique regulatory region in the amino terminus...
- Multiple interactions of PRK1 with RhoA. Functional assignment of the Hr1 repeat motifP Flynn
Protein Phosphorylation Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 273:2698-705. 1998b>PRK1 (PKN) is a serine/threonine kinase that has been shown to be activated by RhoA (Amano, M., Mukai, H., Ono, Y., Chihara, K., Matsui, T., Hamajima, Y., Okawa, K., Iwamatsu, A., and Kaibuchi, K. (1996) Science 271, 648-650)...
- Domain-specific phosphorylation of vimentin and glial fibrillary acidic protein by PKNK Matsuzawa
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 234:621-5. 1997b>PKN is a serine/threonine protein kinase with a catalytic domain homologous to the protein kinase C family and unique N-terminal leucine zipper-like sequences...
- Protein kinase PKN1 associates with TRAF2 and is involved in TRAF2-NF-kappaB signaling pathwayYusuke Gotoh
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kobe University, 657 8501, Kobe, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 314:688-94. 2004b>PKN1 is a fatty acid and Rho-activated serine/threonine protein kinase whose catalytic domain is highly homologous to protein kinase C (PKC) family...
- Postmortem photonic imaging of lux-modified Salmonella Typhimurium within the gastrointestinal tract of swine after oral inoculation in vivoK Moulton
Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences, Mississippi State University, MS 39762, USA
J Anim Sci 87:2239-44. 2009..1 or 4.1 x 10(10) cfu of Salmonella Typhimurium transformed with plasmid pAK1-lux for a 6-h (n = 6) or 12-h (n = 6) incubation in vivo and then were killed for tissue harvest...
- A role for the retinoblastoma protein as a regulator of mouse osteoblast cell adhesion: implications for osteogenesis and osteosarcoma formationBernadette Sosa-García
Biochemistry Department, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico
PLoS ONE 5:e13954. 2010..the function of merlin, a well-known regulator of adherens junction assembly, by repressing Rac1 and its effector Pak1. Using qRT-PCR, immunoblots, co-immunoprecipitation assays, and immunofluorescent labeling, we observed that pRb ..
- Differential signalling by muscarinic receptors in smooth muscle: m2-mediated inactivation of myosin light chain kinase via Gi3, Cdc42/Rac1 and p21-activated kinase 1 pathway, and m3-mediated MLC20 (20 kDa regulatory light chain of myosin II) phosphorylatKarnam S Murthy
Departments of Physiology and Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Biochem J 374:145-55. 2003..phosphoinositide 3-kinase and Cdc42/Rac1 (where Cdc stands for cell division cycle) and p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1), resulting in phosphorylation and inactivation of myosin light chain kinase (MLCK)...
- Comparison of azaperone-detomidine-butorphanol-ketamine and azaperone-tiletamine-zolazepam for anaesthesia in pigletsMari L Heinonen
Department of Production Animal Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
Vet Anaesth Analg 36:151-7. 2009To investigate a combination of azaperone, detomidine, butorphanol and ketamine (DBK) in pigs and to compare it with the combination of azaperone, tiletamine and zolazepam (TZ).
- The small GTP-binding protein rho activates c-Jun N-terminal kinases/stress-activated protein kinases in human kidney 293T cells. Evidence for a Pak-independent signaling pathwayH Teramoto
Laboratory of Cellular Development and Oncology, NIDR, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4330, USA
J Biol Chem 271:25731-4. 1996..Furthermore, because Rac1 and Cdc42 but not Rho bind and activate a kinase known as Pak1, it has been suggested that Pak1 is the most upstream component of the pathway linking these GTPases to JNK...
- CAPE (caffeic acid phenethyl ester)-based propolis extract (Bio 30) suppresses the growth of human neurofibromatosis (NF) tumor xenografts in miceM Demestre
UKE Universitaets Klinikum Eppendorf, Hamburg 20246, Germany
Phytother Res 23:226-30. 2009..type 2 (NF2) is caused primarily by dysfunction of the NF2 gene product called merlin that inhibits directly PAK1, an oncogenic Rac/CDC42-dependent Ser/Thr kinase...
- Association of a purine-analogue-sensitive protein kinase activity with p75 nerve growth factor receptorsC Volonte
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032
Mol Biol Cell 4:71-8. 1993..The analogue 6-thioguanine (6-TG) has been shown to inhibit with high specificity protein kinase N (PKN), a serine/threonine protein kinase activated by NGF in several cellular systems...
- Regulation of the actin cytoskeleton organization in yeast by a novel serine/threonine kinase Prk1pG Zeng
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117609
J Cell Biol 144:71-82. 1999..The suppression of pan1-4 by prk1 requires the presence of mutant Pan1p...
- PAK1, a gene that can regulate p53 activity in yeastS Thiagalingam
Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:6062-6. 1995..The defect was partially corrected by overexpression of a yeast gene named PAK1 (p53 activating kinase), which localizes to the left arm of chromosome IX...
- Pharmacological and functional characterization of the guinea-pig B2 bradykinin receptor stably expressed in CHO-K1 cell lineC Robert
Groupe de Pharmacologie des Récepteurs, Centre de Recherche, Laboratoires Fournier, 50 Rue de Dijon, 21121 Daix, France
Br J Pharmacol 135:462-8. 2002..21+/-0.05 nM while the two specific kinin B(1) ligands, des-Arg(9)-bradykinin (DBK) and des-Arg(9)-Leu(8)-bradykinin (DLBK) were unable to compete with [(3)H]-BK...
- p21-Activated kinase-1 promotes aggressive phenotype, cell proliferation, and invasion in gestational trophoblastic diseaseMichelle K Y Siu
Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
Am J Pathol 176:3015-22. 2010..p21-Activated kinases (PAKs) promote malignant tumor progression. Therefore, this study investigated PAK1, PAK2, and p-PAK2 Ser(20) in the pathogenesis of GTD...
- Clathrin-independent endocytosis used by the IL-2 receptor is regulated by Rac1, Pak1 and Pak2Alexandre Grassart
Institut Pasteur, Unite de Biologie des Interactions Cellulaires, CNRS URA 2582, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
EMBO Rep 9:356-62. 2008..By RNA interference, we show that Pak1 and Pak2 are both necessary for IL-2R beta uptake, in contrast to the clathrin-dependent route...
- Photonic plasmid stability of transformed Salmonella typhimurium: a comparison of three unique plasmidsKeesla Moulton
Department of Animal and Dairy Science, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
BMC Microbiol 9:152. 2009..The objective of this study was to determine stability of transformed Salmonella Typhimurium (S. typh-lux) using three different plasmids and characterize their respective photonic properties...
- NF-kappaB- and C/EBPbeta-driven interleukin-1beta gene expression and PAK1-mediated caspase-1 activation play essential roles in interleukin-1beta release from Helicobacter pylori lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophagesChaitali Basak
Department of Chemistry, Bose Institute, 93 1 Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road, Kolkata 700009, India
J Biol Chem 280:4279-88. 2005..Most important, we observed a role of Rac1/PAK1 signaling in activation of caspase-1, which is necessary for maturation of pro-IL-1beta. H...
- Rhotekin, a new putative target for Rho bearing homology to a serine/threonine kinase, PKN, and rhophilin in the rho-binding domainT Reid
Department of Pharmacology, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Yoshida, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606, Japan
J Biol Chem 271:13556-60. 1996..region shares approximately 30% identity with the Rho-binding domains of rhophilin and a serine/threonine kinase, PKN, two other Rho target proteins that we recently identified (Watanabe, G., Saito, Y., Madaule, P., Ishizaki, T...
- Integrin engagement differentially modulates epithelial cell motility by RhoA/ROCK and PAK1Hua Zhou
Department of Cell and Tissue Biology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Biol Chem 280:10624-35. 2005..Cdc42 and Rac and their downstream target PAK1 were activated following adhesion to laminin-5...
- Validation of the p21-activated kinases as targets for inhibition in neurofibromatosis type 2Chunling Yi
Molecular and Cellular Oncogenesis Program, The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cancer Res 68:7932-7. 2008..schwannoma samples derived from NF2 patients showed that in a significant fraction of the tumors, the activity of Pak1 was highly elevated...
- p21-activated kinase (PAK1) is phosphorylated and activated by 3-phosphoinositide-dependent kinase-1 (PDK1)C C King
Departments of Immunology and Cell Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 275:41201-9. 2000..we show that phosphorylated 3-phosphoinositide-dependent kinase 1 (PDK1) phosphorylates p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1) in the presence of sphingosine...
- PAK1 primes MEK1 for phosphorylation by Raf-1 kinase during cross-cascade activation of the ERK pathwayLucy C Coles
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Nottingham Medical School, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Oncogene 21:2236-44. 2002..Here we show that both Raf-1 and MEK1 are phosphorylated by PAK1 and that mutations at PAK1 phosphorylation sites in either protein prevent cross-cascade activation...
- Inhibition of contraction and myosin light chain phosphorylation in guinea-pig smooth muscle by p21-activated kinase 1A Wirth
Department of Vegetative Physiology, University of Cologne, Robert Koch Strasse 39, D 50931 Cologne, Germany
J Physiol 549:489-500. 2003..Therefore, we investigated the effect of the predominant isoform in vascular smooth muscle cells, PAK1, on contraction and phosphorylation of the regulatory light chains of myosin (r-MLC) in Triton-skinned guinea-pig ..
- [Gustometry usefulness for the evaluation of taste sense efficiency. Part I. The range of taste substances concentrations and the result of gustometry examination]Ewa Klimacka-Nawrot
Z Katedry i Zakładu Podstawowych Nauk Biomedycznych w Sosnowcu Slaskiego Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Katowicach
Wiad Lek 60:409-14. 2007..The Polish Committee of Standards (Polski Komitet Normalizacyjny--PKN) recommends the performance of sensitivity taste examinations with the use of method based on rinsing out the mouth ..
- Silencing of p21-activated kinase attenuates vimentin phosphorylation on Ser-56 and reorientation of the vimentin network during stimulation of smooth muscle cells by 5-hydroxytryptamineDale D Tang
Center for Cardiovascular Sciences, Albany Medical College, 47 New Scotland Avenue, MC 8, ME 424, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Biochem J 388:773-83. 2005..Treatment of cells with small interfering RNA selectively down-regulated the expression of PAK1 (p21-activated kinase 1) without affecting the content of smooth muscle alpha-actin...
- Activation of the small GTPase Rac1 by cGMP-dependent protein kinaseYali Hou
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, CB2510, Augusta, GA 30912 2100, USA
Cell Signal 16:1061-9. 2004..Moreover, using in vitro kinase assays it was found that cGMP also stimulated the activity of the Rac1 effector Pak1. The activation of both Rac1 and Pak1 by 8-Br-cGMP was completely abolished by transfection of the cells with ..
- The rho guanosine 5'-triphosphatase, cell division cycle 42, is required for insulin-induced actin remodeling and glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion in the intestinal endocrine L cellGareth E Lim
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 150:5249-61. 2009..After insulin treatment, Cdc42-dependent p21-activated kinase-1 (PAK1) activation was also detected, and transfection of small-interfering RNA against Cdc42 or of dominant-negative ..
- alpha6beta4 integrin activates Rac-dependent p21-activated kinase 1 to drive NF-kappaB-dependent resistance to apoptosis in 3D mammary aciniJulie C Friedland
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Cell Sci 120:3700-12. 2007..We report that elevated (alpha6)beta4 integrin-dependent Rac-Pak1 signaling supports resistance to apoptosis in mammary acini by permitting stress-dependent activation of the p65 ..
- PKN activation via transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta 1) receptor signaling delays G2/M phase transition in vascular smooth muscle cellsChang Su
Department of Integrative Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas 76107, USA
Cell Cycle 6:739-49. 2007..have demonstrated that exposure of the VSMC line, PAC-1, to Transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-beta1), activated PKN (a RhoA-dependent kinase)...
- Deleted in colorectal cancer binding netrin-1 mediates cell substrate adhesion and recruits Cdc42, Rac1, Pak1, and N-WASP into an intracellular signaling complex that promotes growth cone expansionMasoud Shekarabi
Center for Neuronal Survival, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B4
J Neurosci 25:3132-41. 2005..growth cone expansion requires Cdc42 (cell division cycle 42), Rac1 (Ras-related C3 botulinum toxin substrate 1), Pak1 (p21-activated kinase), and N-WASP (neuronal Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein) and that the application of netrin-1 ..
- Kinin B1 receptor stimulation modulates leptin homeostasis. Evidence for an insulin-dependent mechanismMarcelo A Mori
Department of Biophysics, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Immunopharmacol 8:242-6. 2008..Here we demonstrate that the intravenous administration of the kinin B1 receptor agonist des-Arg9-bradykinin (DBK) in mice leads to significant increase in serum leptin levels...
- Identification and characterization of PKNbeta, a novel isoform of protein kinase PKN: expression and arachidonic acid dependency are different from those of PKNalphaK Oishi
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Faculty of Science, Kobe, 657 8501, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 261:808-14. 1999The cDNA clone encoding a novel isoform of protein kinase PKN, termed PKNbeta, was isolated from a HeLa cDNA library...
- Kinase-deficient Pak1 mutants inhibit Ras transformation of Rat-1 fibroblastsY Tang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 17:4454-64. 1997..We show here that expression of a catalytically inactive mutant Pak, Pak1(R299), inhibits Ras transformation of Rat-1 fibroblasts but not of NIH 3T3 cells...
- Characterization of Pak2p, a pleckstrin homology domain-containing, p21-activated protein kinase from fission yeastM A Sells
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
J Biol Chem 273:18490-8. 1998..We previously showed that fission yeast pak1+ encodes an essential protein that affects mating and cell polarity...
- Genetic deletion of Rac1 GTPase reveals its critical role in actin stress fiber formation and focal adhesion complex assemblyFukun Guo
Division of Experimental Hematology, Children s Hospital Research Foundation, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Biol Chem 281:18652-9. 2006..Although Rac1 deletion caused a significant reduction in phospho-PAK1, -AKT, and -ERK under serum stimulation, reconstitution of active PAK1, but not AKT or MEK1, was able to rescue the ..
- p21-activated kinases regulate actin remodeling in glomerular podocytesJianxin Zhu
Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, 3775 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F951-61. 2010..Here, we investigated the role of Pak in podocyte morphology. Pak1/2 were expressed in cultured podocytes...
- p21-activated kinase-1 signaling mediates cyclin D1 expression in mammary epithelial and cancer cellsSeetharaman Balasenthil
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 279:1422-8. 2004p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1) has been shown recently to induce hyperplasia in the mammary epithelium, a phenotype also manifested by overexpression of cyclin D1, a known indicator of the proliferative stage...
- Phosphorylated Pak1 level in the cytoplasm correlates with shorter survival time in patients with glioblastomaHiroshi Aoki
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:6603-9. 2007..Accumulating evidence has shown that phosphorylated p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1), a mediator of small guanosine triphosphatases, plays a role in the proliferation, survival, and invasiveness of ..
- p21-activated kinase-1 (PAK1) inhibition of the human scavenger receptor class B, type I promoter in macrophages is independent of PAK1 kinase activity, but requires the GTPase-binding domainT G Hullinger
Department of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Pfizer Global Research and Development, 2800 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
J Biol Chem 276:46807-14. 2001..7. Cotransfection with either a constitutively active p21-activated protein kinase-1 (PAK1) construct (T423E) or a kinase-deficient PAK1 construct (K299R) resulted in repression of the SR-BI promoter, ..
- p21-Activated kinase-1 and its role in integrated regulation of cardiac contractilityKatherine A Sheehan
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 835 S Wolcott Ave, Chicago, IL 60612 7342, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R963-73. 2007..cardiac contractility involving variations in the activity of the multifunctional enzyme, p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1), a member of a family of proteins in the small G protein-signaling pathway that is activated by Cdc42 and Rac1...
- Serine 28 phosphorylation of NRIF3 confers its co-activator function for estrogen receptor-alpha transactivationA H Talukder
Molecular and Cellular Oncology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 27:5233-42. 2008..p21-activated protein kinase 1 (Pak1) phosphorylates ERalpha at Ser305 and this modification is important in ERalpha transactivation function...
- Combined array comparative genomic hybridization and tissue microarray analysis suggest PAK1 at 11q13.5-q14 as a critical oncogene target in ovarian carcinomaPeter Schraml
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital, University of Basel, Schonbeinstrasse 40, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Am J Pathol 163:985-92. 2003..DNA copy number gains were most frequently observed for PIK3CA on 3q (66%), PAK1 on 11q (59%), KRAS2 on 12p (55%), and STK15 on 20q (55%)...
- p21-Activated kinase mediates rapid estradiol-negative feedback actions in the reproductive axisZhen Zhao
Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Il 60208 3113, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7221-6. 2009..These studies tested the hypothesis that p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1), a serine/threonine kinase rapidly activated by E(2) in nonneural cells, functions as a downstream node for E(2) ..
- Identification of two eukaryote-like serine/threonine kinases encoded by Chlamydia trachomatis serovar L2 and characterization of interacting partners of Pkn1Anita Verma
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, F Edward Hebert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Infect Immun 71:5772-84. 2003..trachomatis serovar D revealed the presence of three putative open reading frames (ORFs), CT145 (Pkn1), CT673 (Pkn5), and CT301 (PknD), encoding eukaryote-like serine/threonine kinases (Ser/Thr kinases)...
- PAK1 interacts with beta-catenin and is required for the regulation of the beta-catenin signalling pathway by gastrinsHong He
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Austin Health, Studley Road, Heidelberg, Melbourne, Victoria 3084, Australia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1783:1943-54. 2008..also regulate beta-catenin signalling through multiple pathways which seem to converge on p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1). In this study, we have investigated the role of PAK1 in the regulation of beta-catenin signalling by gastrins...
- The C-terminal kinase domain of the p34cdc2-related PITSLRE protein kinase (p110C) associates with p21-activated kinase 1 and inhibits its activity during anoikisShe Chen
Department of Biochemistry, Shanghai Medical Center, Fudan University formerly the Shanghai Medical University, People s Republic of China
J Biol Chem 278:20029-36. 2003..used the yeast two-hybrid system to screen a human fetal liver cDNA library and identified p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1) as an interacting partner of p110C...
- Merlin, the product of the Nf2 tumor suppressor gene, is an inhibitor of the p21-activated kinase, Pak1Joseph L Kissil
Department of Biology and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Mol Cell 12:841-9. 2003..We describe a novel interaction between merlin and p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1), which is dynamic and facilitated upon increased cellular confluence...
- p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1) regulates cell motility in mammalian fibroblastsM A Sells
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
J Cell Biol 145:837-49. 1999The p21 (Cdc42/Rac) activated kinase Pak1 regulates cell morphology and polarity in most, if not all, eukaryotic cells...
- A member of the Ste20/PAK family of protein kinases is involved in both arrest of Xenopus oocytes at G2/prophase of the first meiotic cell cycle and in prevention of apoptosisS Faure
Centre de Recherches de Biochimie Macromoleculaire, CNRS ERS 155, 1919 Route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
EMBO J 16:5550-61. 1997..Microinjection of a catalytically inactive mutant of X-PAK1 with a K/R substitution in the ATP binding site, also deleted of its Nter-half that contains the conserved domains ..
- Regulation of phosphoglucomutase 1 phosphorylation and activity by a signaling kinaseAnupama Gururaj
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 23:8118-27. 2004..of cross-talk between cell signaling and metabolic pathways, whereby the signaling kinase p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1) binds to, phosphorylates and enhances the enzymatic activity of phosphoglucomutase 1 (PGM), an important ..
- Adhesion stimulates direct PAK1/ERK2 association and leads to ERK-dependent PAK1 Thr212 phosphorylationLiisa J Sundberg-Smith
Department of Pathology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 280:2055-64. 2005..Herein, we found that adhesion signaling also stimulates an association between PAK1 and ERK1/2...
- Membrane transport of WAVE2 and lamellipodia formation require Pak1 that mediates phosphorylation and recruitment of stathmin/Op18 to Pak1-WAVE2-kinesin complexKazuhide Takahashi
Molecular Cell Biology Division, Kanagawa Cancer Center Research Institute, Yokohama 241 0815, Japan
Cell Signal 21:695-703. 2009..We find that Pak1 constitutively binds to WAVE2 and is transported with WAVE2 to the leading edge by stimulation with hepatocyte ..
- Active p21-activated kinase 1 rescues MCF10A breast epithelial cells from undergoing anoikisRaymond E Menard
Department of Pharmacology, Wayne State University, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Neoplasia 7:638-45. 2005The protein kinase, PAK1, is overexpressed in human breast cancer and may contribute to malignancy through induction of proliferation and invasiveness...
- The Rac1 polybasic region is required for interaction with its effector PRK1Rakhee Modha
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, 80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 283:1492-500. 2008Protein kinase C-related kinase 1 (PRK1 or PKN) is involved in regulation of the intermediate filaments of the actin cytoskeleton, as well as having effects on processes as diverse as mitotic timing and apoptosis...
- Amplification of CCND1 and PAK1 as predictors of recurrence and tamoxifen resistance in postmenopausal breast cancerJ Bostner
Department of Biomedicine and Surgery, Division of Oncology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Oncogene 26:6997-7005. 2007..Situated in this region are the cyclin D1 gene (CCND1) and the p-21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1) gene...
- LKB1 is the upstream kinase in the AMP-activated protein kinase cascadeAngela Woods
Cellular Stress Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 13:2004-8. 2003..We previously reported the identification of three protein kinases (Elm1, Pak1, and Tos3 ) that lie upstream of Snf1, the yeast homologue of AMPK...
- [Effects of PASP-KT-NAA on the grain-filling of maize in different accumulated temperature zones of Hilongjiang Province, Norheast China]Tian Jun Xu
Ministry of Agriculture Key Laboratory of Crop Eco Physiology and Cultivation, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 24:451-8. 2013..Provice as test materials, a field investigation was made in 2010 and 2011 to study the effects of PASP-KT-NAA (PKN), a compound of exogenous plant growth regulators, on the grain filling and yield of the varieties under different ..
- Integrative molecular profiling of triple negative breast cancers identifies amplicon drivers and potential therapeutic targetsN Turner
The Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Oncogene 29:2013-23. 2010..3), BUB3 (10q26.3), RAB20 (13q34), PKN1 (19p13.12) and NOTCH3 (19p13.12)...
- Role of p-21-activated kinases in cancer progressionHelen King
Division of Cancer Studies, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Int Rev Cell Mol Biol 309:347-87. 2014..Group I PAKs (PAK1-3) are the most extensively studied but there is increasing interest in the functionality of Group II PAKs (PAK4-6)...
- Signaling via a novel integral plasma membrane pool of a serine/threonine protein kinase PRK1 in mammalian cellsYimin Zhu
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, The National University of Singapore, Singapore
FASEB J 18:1722-4. 2004Mammalian serine/threonine protein kinases, except for TGF-beta receptor kinase family, are intracellular proteins. PRK1/PKN is a member of the protein kinase C superfamily of serine/threonine kinases and is one of the first identified ..
- Rhapontigenin suppresses cell migration and invasion by inhibiting the PI3K-dependent Rac1 signaling pathway in MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cellsJi Sung Kim
Cancer Preventive Material Development Research Center, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University, 1 Hoegi dong, Dongdaemun Gu, Seoul, 130 701, Republic of Korea
J Nat Prod 77:1135-9. 2014..its downstream effectors such as WASP-family verprolin homologous proteins 2 (WAVE-2) and p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1) signaling cascades were attenuated after treatment with 1...
- Cholesterol-rich microdomains as docking platforms for respiratory syncytial virus in normal human bronchial epithelial cellsHomero San-Juan-Vergara
Departamento de Medicina, Fundación Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla, Colombia
J Virol 86:1832-43. 2012..Using small-molecule inhibitors, RSV infection was found to be sensitive to Pak1 inhibition, suggesting the requirement of a subsequent step of cytoskeletal reorganization that could involve ..
- Signaling-dependent and coordinated regulation of transcription, splicing, and translation resides in a single coregulator, PCBP1Qingchang Meng
Molecular and Cellular Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5866-71. 2007..Yeast two-hybrid screening of a mammary gland cDNA library with human p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1) as bait identified polyC-RNA-binding protein 1 (PCBP1), which controls translation from mRNAs containing the DICE (..
- The p21-activated kinase PAK3 forms heterodimers with PAK1 in brain implementing trans-regulation of PAK3 activityGaëlle Combeau
Centre de Neurosciences Paris Sud, Universite Paris Sud, UMR 8195 and CNRS, UMR 8195, Orsay F 91405, France
J Biol Chem 287:30084-96. 2012p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1) and PAK3 belong to group I of the PAK family and control cell movement and division...
- Mammalian Cdk5 is a functional homologue of the budding yeast Pho85 cyclin-dependent protein kinaseD Huang
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto, 1 Kings College Circle, Toronto, Canada M5S 1A8
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:14445-50. 1999..p35/Cdk5 kinase colocalizes with and regulates the activity of the Pak1 kinase in neuronal growth cones and likely impacts on actin cytoskeletal dynamics through Pak1...
- Improvements to the Kunkel mutagenesis protocol for constructing primary and secondary phage-display librariesRenhua Huang
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, 845 W Taylor St, 3240 SES MC 066, Chicago, IL 60607 7060, USA
Methods 58:10-7. 2012..Screening one of the two mutagenic libraries yielded variants that bound two- to fourfold tighter to human Pak1 kinase than the starting clone...
- LIM-kinase 2 induces formation of stress fibres, focal adhesions and membrane blebs, dependent on its activation by Rho-associated kinase-catalysed phosphorylation at threonine-505T Amano
Biological Institute, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8578, and Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
Biochem J 354:149-59. 2001..LIMK1 is activated by Rho-associated, coiled-coil-forming protein kinase (ROCK) and p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1), but activation mechanisms and cellular functions of LIMK2 have remained to be determined...
- High-resolution genomic analysis of the 11q13 amplicon in breast cancers identifies synergy with 8p12 amplification, involving the mTOR targets S6K2 and 4EBP1Elin Karlsson
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Division of Oncology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 50:775-87. 2011..mRNA expression levels of candidate oncogenes in the amplicons [RAD9A, RPS6KB2 (S6K2), CCND1, FGF19, FGF4, FGF3, PAK1, GAB2 (11q13); EIF4EBP1 (4EBP1), PPAPDC1B, and FGFR1 (8p12)] were evaluated using real-time PCR...
- Etk/Bmx tyrosine kinase activates Pak1 and regulates tumorigenicity of breast cancer cellsR Bagheri-Yarmand
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 276:29403-9. 2001..P21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1), another well characterized effector of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, has been implicated in the progression of ..
- Selective amino acid restriction differentially affects the motility and directionality of DU145 and PC3 prostate cancer cellsYa Min Fu
Cancer Prevention and Research Center, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164 6713, USA
J Cell Physiol 217:184-93. 2008..Increased PAK1 expression and phosphorylation of PAK1-Thr(423), and Ser(199/204) are consistent with the increased phosphorylation ..
- ROCK, PAK, and Toll of synapses in Alzheimer's diseaseAntero Salminen
Department of Neurology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, Kuopio FIN 70211, Finland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 371:587-90. 2008..Synaptic dysfunction is a sensitive parameter of the AD pathology. Rho GTPases and the Rho kinases, ROCK1/2, and PAK1-3, are important regulators of synaptic plasticity, especially in maintaining the actin cytoskeleton of dendritic ..
- Depletion of PAK1 enhances ubiquitin-mediated survivin degradation in pancreatic β-cellsYi Chun Chen
Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Islets 5:22-8. 2013Functional β-cell mass deficiency in diabetes results from imbalanced β-cell death and replication, and decreased PAK1 protein levels in human islets from donors with type 2 diabetes implicates a possible role for PAK1 in maintaining β-..
- PAK is required for the disruption of E-cadherin adhesion by the small GTPase RacEncarnacion Lozano
Molecular Medicine Section, NHLI, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
J Cell Sci 121:933-8. 2008..Instead, activation of the Rac target PAK1 is necessary for destabilization of cell-cell contacts...
- PAK1 regulates RUFY3-mediated gastric cancer cell migration and invasionG Wang
Department of Cell Biology, Key Laboratory of Cell Biology, Ministry of Public Health and Key Laboratory of Medical Cell Biology, Ministry of Education, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Cell Death Dis 6:e1682. 2015..Furthermore, P21-activated kinase-1 (PAK1) interacts with RUFY3, and promotes RUFY3 expression and RUFY3-induced gastric cancer cell migration; inhibition of ..
- Development of an intracellularly acting inhibitory peptide selective for PKNKazuhiro Shiga
Graduate School of Science, Kobe University, Kobe 657 8501, Japan
Biochem J 425:445-53. 2010..peptide inhibitor of PKNs based on amino acids 485-499 of the C-terminal region of the C2-like domain of PKN1. This peptide, designated as PRL, selectively inhibits the kinase activity of all isoforms of PKN (Ki=0...
- p21-Activated kinase 1 (Pak1) phosphorylates BAD directly at serine 111 in vitro and indirectly through Raf-1 at serine 112Diana Z Ye
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e27637. 2011..One of the critical phosphorylation sites is the serine 112 (S112), which can be phosphorylated by several kinases including Pak1.
- Proteins with complex architecture as potential targets for drug design: a case study of Mycobacterium tuberculosisBálint Mészáros
Institute of Enzymology, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
PLoS Comput Biol 7:e1002118. 2011..tuberculosis. We identified two families, termed pkn and PE/PPE that stand out in this respect...
- Development of small-molecule inhibitors of the group I p21-activated kinases, emerging therapeutic targets in cancerChunling Yi
Molecular and Cellular Oncogenesis Program, The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 80:683-9. 2010..focused on the identification of allosteric inhibitors, organometallic ATP-competitive inhibitors and the use of PAK1/inhibitor crystal structures for inhibitor optimization...
- Phosphorylation of histone H3T6 by PKCbeta(I) controls demethylation at histone H3K4Eric Metzger
Urologische Klinik Frauenklinik und Zentrale Klinische Forschung, Klinikum der Universität Freiburg, Breisacherstrasse 66, Germany
Nature 464:792-6. 2010..requires androgen-dependent recruitment of the gatekeeper kinase protein kinase C (PKC)-related kinase 1 (PRK1)...
- Receptor-specific mechanisms regulate phosphorylation of AKT at Ser473: role of RICTOR in β1 integrin-mediated cell survivalAnjum Riaz
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, The Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS ONE 7:e32081. 2012..ILK and PAK1/2 were dispensable for these reactions...
- Estrogen receptor-alpha phosphorylation at serine 305, nuclear p21-activated kinase 1 expression, and response to tamoxifen in postmenopausal breast cancerJosefine Bostner
Division of Surgery and Clinical Oncology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Clin Cancer Res 16:1624-33. 2010In vitro, p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1) phosphorylates the serine 305 residue of the estrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha) and influences the response of breast cancer cells to tamoxifen...
- Role of JAK2-PAK1 interaction in prolactin-dependent signalingMaria Diakonova; Fiscal Year: 2013..Preliminary data demonstrate that the serine-threonine kinase PAK1 associates with and is Tyr phosphorylated by JAK2...
- RhoB in cancer pathogenesis and as a target in combinatorial therapyROBERT SMALLRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the nucleus, colocalizing with p21 in a nuclear complex that includes protein kinase C-related kinase one (PRK1), a known RhoB interacting protein and serine/threonine kinase...
- A novel therapy for HER2 positive hormone refractory breast cancerAnne W Hamburger; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further, depletion of EBP1 protein by shRNA or inactivation of EBP1 by phosphorylation by PAK1, a kinase implicated in both breast cancer progression and tamoxifen resistance, results in development of the ..
- NEUROFIBROMATOSIS TYPE 1 GENE REGULATES MYELOPOIESISDAVID W CLAPP; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have recently shown that p21 activated kinase 1 (Pak 1), a serine/threonine kinase, is hyperactivated in Nf1 mast cells2...
- Pathophysiology of Conduction Block in HNPP.Jun Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, we have shown that removal of the p21-activated kinase type-1 (pak1) gene in PMP22 deficient mice eliminates tomacula/axonal constrictions, a novel signaling mechanism...
- Human pathogenic bacterium induces actin phosphorylation to selectively regulateHameeda Sultana; Fiscal Year: 2012..I also show that A. phagocytophilum-induced actin phosphorylation is dependent on Ixodes PAK1-PI3kinase signaling. A...
- Post-ischemic cardiac remodelingMICHELLE MONASKY; Fiscal Year: 2012..we have previously shown to be cardioprotective during acute ischemia/reperfusion injury is p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1), a serine/threonine kinase...
- CIB1 regulation of endothelial functionLeslie V Parise; Fiscal Year: 2013..Separate studies have shown that CIB1 binds directly to, and activates, PAK1, a serine/threonine kinase known to regulate endothelial cell migration...
- NFATs and Vascular InjuryGadiparthi N Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..HASMC growth and motility require NFATc1-cyclin D1-dependent activation of protein kinase C-related kinase 1 (PRK1) and p21-activated kinase 1 (PAK1) and 3. Smooth muscle (SM)-NFATc1 mediates vascular wall remodeling...
- Mechanisms of structural plasticity in stress-related disordersScott J Russo; Fiscal Year: 2013..are unknown, intracranial injections of the HSV-IKK mutants into the NAc resulted in gross changes in Rac1-PAK1 signaling, a RhoGTPase pathway known to mediate actin cytoskeletal reorganization and the development of new spines...
- GPCR Signaling &Vascular Wall RemodelingGadiparthi N Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..3. Gab1 targets PAK1 in mediating thrombin-induced HASMC F-actin stress fiber formation, migration, proliferation and neointima ..
- Cyclic AMP Mediation of Epithelial Cell FunctionJAMES RICHARD GOLDENRING; Fiscal Year: 2012..AKAP350/450 splice variants potentially scaffold PKA, protein kinase C[unreadable], PKN, casein kinase 1, phosphodiesterase 4D3, protein phosphatases 1 and 2a and calmodulin as well as a number of ..
- Structure-directed investigations into the regulation of Ste20 kinasesBenjamin E Turk; Fiscal Year: 2013..Type II PAKs encompass the proteins PAK4, PAK5 and PAK6. Whereas the molecular basis for how type I PAKs (PAK1, PAK2 and PAK3) are regulated by inter- molecular autoinhibition is well established, the type II PAKs are not ..
- TROPONIN MODULATION IN HEART FAILUREBeata M Wolska; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): In experiments proposed here we test the hypothesis that signaling through p21 activated kinase (Pak1) to protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A) is a novel mechanism of control of contractility by suppression of Ca-release ..
- Regulation and function of PDK1-Akt-Pyk2 axis in plateletsSatya P Kunapuli; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to evaluate the role of PAK in translocation of Akt to the membrane using pharmacological approaches and PAK1 and 2 knockout mice...
- Regulation of Myosin Phosphorylation in Smooth MuscleMitsuo Ikebe; Fiscal Year: 2013..have been done on the regulatory role of Rho kinase in smooth muscle, nothing is known about the function of PKN, another RhoA down-stream kinase...
- Pak1 Signaling and Targets in Breast Cancer ProgressionRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..molecule known to cause progression of breast cancer cells to more invasive phenotypes is p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1), a nodular kinase activated by a variety of cell surface or intracellular signals...
- Cortical Synapses and Psychosis in ADRobert A Sweet; Fiscal Year: 2012..spines are reduced in subjects with AD+P in comparison to subjects with AD-P;3) Effectors of LTP (Kalirin7 and PAK1) are reduced, and an effector of LTD (Calcineurin) is elevated, in AD+P compared to AD-P subjects;and 4) increased ..
- Role of the serine-threonine kinase PAK1 in prolactin-dependent signalingMaria Diakonova; Fiscal Year: 2007..Preliminary data demonstrate that the serine-threonine kinase PAK1 associates with and is Tyr phosphorylated by JAK2...
- Role of PAK1-MORC2 Pathway in Breast CancerRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is our hope that the knowledge gained from this project will form the basis for new mechanistic advances in DNAdamage response in breast cancer cells. ..
- Signaling by p21-activated protein kinasesJONATHAN D CHERNOFF; Fiscal Year: 2010..The use of a specific Pak inhibitor, as well as cells derived from our recently constructed Pak1 and Pak2 knock-out mice, give us unique reagents with which to accomplish these goals...
- Receptor Trafficking in Entry of Murine Leukemia VirusesRobert A Davey; Fiscal Year: 2011..Genes corresponding to the Rac1-PAK1-LIMK1 pathway of actin regulation were identified as key for infection by Fr-MLV but not the other viruses...
- Coordination of signaling during phagocytosisJoel A Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2010..protein (YFP) chimeras of actin, PI3K, the lipid phosphatase SHIP-1, Rac1, Cdc42, the p21- binding domain of Pak1, and 3'PI-binding domains from signaling proteins...
- Identification of Binding Proteins of the Xenopus Morphogenetic Factor TumorheadEdwin E Traverso; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recent studies suggest that TH sub-cellular localization is regulated by Xenopus p21-activated kinase 1 (X-PAK1), whose overexpression is also associated with tumor growth...
- Role of a Novel Homeobox Transcription Factor (HLX) in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaUlrich G Steidl; Fiscal Year: 2013..common disease alleles, including FLT3-ITD and CBFB-MYH11, and through specific HLX-dependent pathways, including PAK1 and BTG1...
- Survival Mechanisms of Invasive Carcinoma CellsRichard L Klemke; Fiscal Year: 2013..amplify tyrosine kinase activity in the cell leading to activation of the canonical ErbB2/Src/p130CAS/c-CrkII/Rac/Pak1/MEK/ERK pathway, which modulates cytoskeletal and integrin functions to drive cell locomotion, invasion, and ..
- PAK1's role in eotaxin-mediated murine eosinophil migrationMuithi M Mwanthi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Through actin-binding effectors, PAK1 modulates the actin cytoskeleton in mast cell degranulation, and additionally we have shown that this isoform is ..
- Novel therapeutic targets for Leukemia in ElderlyHolly Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Accordingly, I hypothesized that effectors of the PI3K signaling pathway, in particular p21 activated kinase (PAK1) and its upstream effectors including guanine exchange factors (GEF) and Rho family GTPases contribute to gain-of-..
- p21-Activated Kinases as New Therapeutic Targets in Neurofibromatosis Type 1JONATHAN D CHERNOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..vitro;and 3) We will cross Krox20-cre/Nf1flox/- mice, which develop malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors, with Pak1 knock out mice, or transplant such NF1 mice with Pak1-/- bone marrow cells, to determine if loss of Pak1, globally ..
- Proteolytic Pathways in Progression of Pre-Malignant Breast DiseaseBonnie F Sloane; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aberrant signal transduction, for example through p21-activated kinase 1 [PAK1], may contribute to increased pericellular proteolysis...
- Oncogenic MLK3-Pak1 Signaling in ER Negative Breast CancerAJAY NMN RANA; Fiscal Year: 2013..via MLK3, we observed a strong interaction between mammalian homolog of yeast Ste20 member, p21 activated kinase (Pak1) and MLK3...
- Intracellular signaling by DSCAM during retinal developmentAndrew Garrett; Fiscal Year: 2012..There are a few proteins known to interact with the Dscams: Pak1 (p21-activated kinase) can be activated by Dscam, and the MAGI (membrane- associated guanylate kinase with inverted ..
- Regulation of epithelial contact inhibition by Rac effector proteinsMIRJAM M ZEGERS; Fiscal Year: 2010..defined here as "Pak:PIX complexes", minimally contain the Rac/cdc42 effector molecules p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1) and the Rac/cdc42-guanine exchange factor betaPIX...
- The Role of the Cdc42-Pak1 Signaling Pathway in the Incretin EffectSTEPHANIE MICHELLE YODER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Toward this, the involvement of a new signaling axis involving Cdc42-Pak1 proteins in regulating insulin-induced GLP-1 secretion in vitro was recently revealed...
- REGULATION OF NEUTROPHIL RECEPTOR G PROTEIN INTERACTIONSGary Bokoch; Fiscal Year: 2009..We identified molecular targets for cytoskeletal regulation by PAK1, including GEF-H1, LIM kinase, and myosin light chain kinase...
- Control of lung cancer invasion and metastasis by vimentinAdam I Marcus; Fiscal Year: 2013..we have published that STRAD1-LKB1 interact with the canonical cell polarity and motility proteins cdc42-PAK1. We build upon this data to determine whether STRAD1-LKB1 regulate vimentin through cdc42-PAK1...
- Real-time detection of cancer biomarkers using a self-sustained aptazymeCharles Olea; Fiscal Year: 2013..two aptazymes specific for cancer biomarkers prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and p21-activated kinase (PAK1) will be developed...
- PAK Kinases Regulate Melanoma Chemoresistance and MetastasisAnand K Ganesan; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies determined that RhoJ and its downstream kinase PAK1 suppress pathways in melanoma cells that sense DNA damage...
- The role of Pak1 in regulating plexiform neurofibroma formationAndrew McDaniel; Fiscal Year: 2009The objective of this application is to identify the role of p21-Activated Kinase 1 (Pak1) in molecular pathways responsible for specific cellular and biochemical phenotypes associated with plexiform neurofibroma formation resulting from ..
- MOLECULAR GENETIC ALTERATIONS IN MALIGNANT MESOTHELIOMAJOSEPH TESTA; Fiscal Year: 2006..with NF2 inactivation, determine how merlin function is modulated by phosphorylation as an effector of Rac/Cdc42/Pak1 signaling and whether merlin expression/phosphorylation alters downstream signaling involving JNK and AP-1...
- DETERMINANTS OF TISSUE ESTRADIOL SENSITIVITYRichard Santen; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test the hypothesis that non-genomic effects of estradiol act through the Rac/PAK1 pathways to enhance the formation of membrane changes to increase motility and invasiveness of breast cancer cells...
- REGULATION OF A C JUN KINASE BY A NOVEL TUMOR PROMOTERELIZABETH WATTENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2001..of all or part of a protein kinase cascade that has recently been shown to regulate JNK activation (the Rac, Cdc42/Pak1/MEKK1/SEK1/JNK pathway). Specific Aim 3. Determine if palytoxin stimulates c-Jun transcriptional activity via JNK...
- FUNCTION OF THE VAV PROTOONCOGENEArthur Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2004..might regulate TCR signaling function, we focused on one of their downstream effectors, the serine/threonine kinase Pak1. We found that Pak1 is activated by TCR stimulation and that it contributes to TCR-induced transcriptional ..
- NAK, A POTENTIAL THERAPEUTIC TARGET FOR AIDSArie Abo; Fiscal Year: 2000..Our preliminary results suggest that NAK is co-purified with Pak1 and Nef interacts with Pak1 in-vitro and in-vivo...
- Protection Against Apoptosis by Scatter FactorEliot Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2006..period, we found that: 1) the SF protection involves signaling from c-Met -> p21Ras/PI3 kinase -> c-Akt/Pak1 -> forkhead FKHR; 2) the Grb2-associated binder Gab1, an adapter that transduces epithelial morphogenesis, ..
- Role of Racl in Regulated ExocytosisEDWARD STUENKEL; Fiscal Year: 2004..the role of p35/cyclin dependent kinase 5, an interacting protein kinase that regulates PAK activation, on Rac1 and PAK1 regulation of secretory responsiveness, and 4) To determine the role of Rac1 on phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate 5- ..
- Cytoskeletal Regulation of Outer Hair Cell MotilityFederico Kalinec; Fiscal Year: 2007..low and auditory frequencies, by addressing the following Specific Aims: 1 - Determine the role of the Rac1-Cdc42/PAK1/LIMK1/cofilin signaling pathway in the regulation of OHC motility, and its interaction with the RhoA/ROCK/LIMK2/..
- RHO GTPASE SIGNALING IN EMBRYO MORPHOGENESISJeffrey Settleman; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition to DRhoGEF2, a Drosophila homolog of the major mammalian Rho effector target kinase, PKN, was also identified...
- PKN1 KINASE AND TSG101 TUMOR SUPPRESSORPeter Burbelo; Fiscal Year: 2002..mutated in sporadic breast cancer tumors, was identified in a yeast two-hybrid screen to interact with the PKN1 kinase, an effector protein for Rho...
- REGULATION OF P21-ACTIVATED KINASESJonathan Chernoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have created two unique reagents: Pak1 mutants that selectively couple to a single GTPase, and phosphorylation-state specific antibodies that recognize ..
- AKT1 Oncogene in CarcinogenesisJin Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2005..AKT1 phosphorylates APaB and PSMB4 in vitro and in vivo. Moreover, APaB binds to PAK 1 kinase and enhances AKT1-induced cell survival and cell growth...
- Mechanism of HIV 1 Nef ActionBORIS PETERLIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..3 kinase, the guanine nucleotide exchange factor Vav, small GTPases Cdc42 and Racl, and p21 activated kinases, PAK1 and 2...
- MECHANISMS AND ROLES OF PDK1 IN INSULIN SIGNALINGFeng Liu; Fiscal Year: 2003..The investigator will investigate whether PDK1 is an upstream kinase for protein kinase N (PKN), a serine/threonine protein kinase that has been implicated in insulin action...
- CD44-P185HER2 INTERACTION IN OVARIAN CANCER PROGRESSIONLILLY BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pak1 - PIN Pathway in Breast Cancer ProgressionRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2008..As described below, our recent work indicate that growth factor-stimulation of p21-activated kinase (Pak1), a serine/threonine kinase, plays a significant role in the cell motility, invasiveness and survival, all of which ..
- Pak1 Regulation of Cardiac Protein PhosphorylationKatherine Sheehan; Fiscal Year: 2005..phosphorylation of cTnl, MyBP-C, and PLB in isolated rat cardiac ventricular myocytes following activation of the Pak1 pathway by the agonists bradykinin (BK) and lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) or by adenoviral-mediated over-expression ..
- CD44/VARIANT CYTOSKELETON IN BREAST CANCER PROGRESSIONLILLY YW BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of JAK2-PAK1 interaction in human breast cancerMaria Diakonova; Fiscal Year: 2008..Two proteins - JAK2 and PAK1-have been implicated in breast cancer...
- Yeast Genetic Selection for Human AMPK KinasesMarian Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Hence, AMPKKs are potentially more specific therapeutic targets for treatment of diabetes and obesity than AMPK. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transcription Factors & Inflammatory Mediators in StrokeRaghu Vemuganti; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal is to define the role of SOCS-3/STAT-3 in post-ischemic cerebral inflammation. ..
- Mechanisms Regulating Reversal of MalignancyPriscilla Furth; Fiscal Year: 2009..2. c. Test if pharmacological RXRalpha and/or PPARgamma agonists alone or in combination prevent development of ERalpha ductal hyperplasia and DCIS. ..
- B-Synuclein as a Treatment for Lewy Body DiseaseEliezer Masliah; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Reactive Oxygen Species in Anti-Viral Airway Host DefenseJeffrey Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our studies will show if oxidases are a promising target for therapeutic drug development. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Vav family proteins in cell signaling and cancerXOSE BUSTELO; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- OVARIAN STEROID REGULATION OF SEROTONIN IN PRIMATESCYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Altogether, we will show that ovarian steroids support serotonin neuron survival and we will provide pivotal underlying genomic mechanisms. ..