Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: p38
Description: mitogen-activated protein kinase 14
Alias: CSBP, CSBP1, CSBP2, CSPB1, EXIP, Mxi2, PRKM14, PRKM15, SAPK2A, p38, p38ALPHA, mitogen-activated protein kinase 14, CSAID-binding protein, Csaids binding protein, MAP kinase 14, MAP kinase Mxi2, MAP kinase p38 alpha, MAX-interacting protein 2, cytokine suppressive anti-inflammatory drug binding protein, mitogen-activated protein kinase p38 alpha, p38 MAP kinase, p38 mitogen activated protein kinase, p38alpha Exip, stress-activated protein kinase 2A
Publications319 found, 100 shown here
- Cytokine stimulation of energy expenditure through p38 MAP kinase activation of PPARgamma coactivator-1P Puigserver
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Department of Cell Biology, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell 8:971-82. 2001..These data illustrate a direct thermogenic action of cytokines and p38 MAP kinase through the transcriptional coactivator PGC-1.
- Transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-beta)-induced apoptosis of prostate cancer cells involves Smad7-dependent activation of p38 by TGF-beta-activated kinase 1 and mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase 3Sofia Edlund
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Biomedical Centre, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Biol Cell 14:529-44. 2003..prostate cancer PC-3U cells induced by TGF-beta1 or Smad7 overexpression is caused by a specific activation of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in a TGF-beta-activated kinase 1 (TAK1)- and mitogen-activated protein ..
- Phosphorylation of human p53 by p38 kinase coordinates N-terminal phosphorylation and apoptosis in response to UV radiationD V Bulavin
Laboratory of Cell Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
EMBO J 18:6845-54. 1999Components of the ras signaling pathway contribute to activation of cellular p53. In MCF-7 cells, p38 kinase activated p53 more effectively than other members of the ras pathway...
- Essential role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in cathepsin K gene expression during osteoclastogenesis through association of NFATc1 and PU.1Masahito Matsumoto
Department of Molecular Biology, Saitama Medical School, Saitama, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:45969-79. 2004..report the regulatory mechanisms of RANKL-induced cathepsin K gene expression during osteoclastogenesis in a p38 MAP kinase-dependent manner...
- Human glutathione S-transferase P1-1 interacts with TRAF2 and regulates TRAF2-ASK1 signalsY Wu
Jiangsu Province Key Laboratory for Molecular and Medical Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences, Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, People s Republic of China
Oncogene 25:5787-800. 2006..Overexpression of GSTP1-1 inhibited TRAF2-induced activation of both JNK and p38 but not of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB)...
- Heme oxygenase-1 gene activation by the NAD(P)H oxidase inhibitor 4-(2-aminoethyl) benzenesulfonyl fluoride via a protein kinase B, p38-dependent signaling pathway in monocytesNastiti Wijayanti
Institut für Klinische Immunologie und Transfusionsmedizin, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Langhanstrasse 7, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:21820-9. 2005..AEBSF activated the mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPK) JNK and p38. Inhibition of p38alpha and p38beta, but not that of JNK or p38gamma and p38delta, prevented the induction of HO-1 gene expression by ..
- Lack of the leukocyte-associated Ig-like receptor-1 expression in high-risk chronic lymphocytic leukaemia results in the absence of a negative signal regulating kinase activation and cell divisionA Poggi
Laboratory of Experimental Oncology D, National Institute for Cancer Research, Genoa, Italy
Leukemia 22:980-8. 2008..Constitutive activation of c-Jun aminoterminal kinase (JNK), p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and extracellular signal-regulated kinase, has been reported in CLL...
- Nox4 mediates the expression of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 via p38 MAPK pathway in cultured human endothelial cellsAmandine Jaulmes
Division of Angiology, Servier Research Institute, 11 rue des Moulineaux, Suresnes, France
Thromb Res 124:439-46. 2009..The aim of the present study was to characterize the role of NADPH oxidase and in particular Nox4 in the regulation of PAI-1 expression in cultured Human Umbilical Venous Endothelial Cells (HUVECs)...
- HIV-1 gp120-induced migration of dendritic cells is regulated by a novel kinase cascade involving Pyk2, p38 MAP kinase, and LSP1Appakkudal R Anand
Department of Pathology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Blood 114:3588-600. 2009..analysis of the downstream signaling mechanisms involved in gp120-induced migration revealed that Pyk2 activates p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase, which in turn activates the F-actin-binding protein, leukocyte-specific protein 1,..
- Proapoptotic kinase MST2 coordinates signaling crosstalk between RASSF1A, Raf-1, and AktDavid Romano
Proteomics and Signalling Networks Group, The Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, London, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 70:1195-203. 2010..kinase but enhanced binding to tumor suppressor RASSF1A, accentuating downstream c-Jun NH(2)-terminal kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling and promoting apoptosis...
- NSAID inhibition of prostate cancer cell migration is mediated by Nag-1 Induction via the p38 MAPK-p75(NTR) pathwayShehla Wynne
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cellular Biology, Georgetown University Medical Center, 3900 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Mol Cancer Res 8:1656-64. 2010..NSAIDs induce p75(NTR) through activation of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway, with a concomitant decrease in cell survival...
- Induction of heme oxygenase 1 by moderately oxidized low-density lipoproteins in human vascular smooth muscle cells: role of mitogen-activated protein kinases and Nrf2Anila A Anwar
Cardiovascular Division, GKT Schools of Biomedical Sciences and Medicine, King s College, University of London, Guy s Hospital Campus, London SE1 1UL, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 39:227-36. 2005..Inhibitors of protein kinase C (PKC) or mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPK) p38(MAPK) and MEK or c-jun-NH2-terminal kinase (JNK) significantly attenuated induction of HO-1...
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Nef induces programmed death 1 expression through a p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent mechanismKaruppiah Muthumani
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Virol 82:11536-44. 2008..Nef-induced PD-1 upregulation requires its proline-rich motif and the activation of the downstream kinase p38. Further, inhibition of Nef activity by p38 MAPK inhibitor effectively blocked PD-1 upregulation, suggesting that ..
- Essential role of p53 phosphorylation by p38 MAPK in apoptosis induction by the HIV-1 envelopeJean Luc Perfettini
Centre National Recherche Scientifique UMR8125, Institut Gustave Roussy, F 94805 Villejuif, France
J Exp Med 201:279-89. 2005..Cytoplasmic p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) was found to undergo an activating phosphorylation (p38T180/Y182P [p38 with ..
- Inhibition of interleukin-1-stimulated MAP kinases, activating protein-1 (AP-1) and nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kappa B) transcription factors down-regulates matrix metalloproteinase gene expression in articular chondrocytesAbdelhamid Liacini
Département de Médecine and Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Hôpital Notre Dame du CHUM, 1560 Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2L 4M1
Matrix Biol 21:251-62. 2002..IL-1 rapidly induced the activation of extracellular-signal regulated kinase (ERK), protein 38 (p38) and c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) MAPKs in the first-passage human femoral head OA chondrocytes...
- IL-10 regulation by HIV-Tat in primary human monocytic cells: involvement of calmodulin/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase-activated p38 MAPK and Sp-1 and CREB-1 transcription factorsKatrina Gee
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Division of Virology and Molecular Immunology, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 178:798-807. 2007..in the calcium signaling suggested that calmodulin and calmodulin-dependent protein kinase-II (CaMK-II)-activated p38 MAPK played a role in extracellular Tat-induced IL-10 expression in primary human monocytes...
- p38alpha and p38delta mitogen-activated protein kinase isoforms regulate invasion and growth of head and neck squamous carcinoma cellsM R Junttila
Deparment of Dermatology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Oncogene 26:5267-79. 2007..of p38 pathway component mRNA expression in HNSCC cell lines (n=42) compared to HEKs (n=8) revealed that p38alpha and p38delta isoforms are predominantly expressed in both cell types and that MKK3 is the primary upstream ..
- VCAM-1 upregulation via PKCdelta-p38 kinase-linked cascade mediates the TNF-alpha-induced leukocyte adhesion and emigration in the lung airway epitheliumChang Hoon Woo
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, 5 1 Anam dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, 136 701, Korea
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 288:L307-16. 2005..In addition, TNF-alpha was shown to induce the expression of VCAM-1 in a p38 kinase-dependent manner; also, TNF-alpha-induced p38 kinase activation was blocked by inhibition of PKCdelta, ..
- The mitogen-activated protein kinase p38 regulates activator protein 1 by direct phosphorylation of c-JunMatjaz Humar
Center for Clinical Research, Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Freiburg, Breisacherstrasse 66, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39:2278-88. 2007The involvement of p38 in fundamental physiological processes and the fact that deregulation often leads to disease indicates the potential impact of p38 dependent mechanisms...
- IL-17 stimulates MMP-1 expression in primary human cardiac fibroblasts via p38 MAPK- and ERK1/2-dependent C/EBP-beta , NF-kappaB, and AP-1 activationDolores M Cortez
Department of Veterans Affairs South Texas Veterans Health Care System, The University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H3356-65. 2007..and ELISA; transcriptional induction and transcription factor binding by EMSA, ELISA, and reporter assay; and p38 MAPK and ERK1/2 activation by protein kinase assays and Western blotting...
- GEF-H1/RhoA signalling pathway mediates lipopolysaccharide-induced intercellular adhesion molecular-1 expression in endothelial cells via activation of p38 and NF-κBFeng Guo
Department of Burn and Plastic Surgery, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai 230022, China
Cytokine 57:417-28. 2012..Furthermore, pretreatment with Y-27632, an inhibitor of ROCK, significantly reduced LPS-induced p38, ERK1/2 and p65 phosphorylation, indicating that ROCK acts as an upstream effector of p38 and ERK1/2 to promote LPS-..
- Involvement of Kv1.3 and p38 MAPK signaling in HIV-1 glycoprotein 120-induced microglia neurotoxicityJ Liu
Neurophysiology Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 5880, USA
Cell Death Dis 3:e254. 2012..3-siRNA abrogated gp120-associated microglia neurotoxic activity. Further investigation unraveled an involvement of p38 MAPK in gp120 enhancement of microglia K(v)1.3 expression and resultant neurotoxic activity...
- Matched work high-intensity interval and continuous running induce similar increases in PGC-1α mRNA, AMPK, p38, and p53 phosphorylation in human skeletal muscleJonathan D Bartlett
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol (1985) 112:1135-43. 2012..Furthermore, this is the first report of contraction-induced p53 phosphorylation in human skeletal muscle, thus highlighting an additional pathway by which exercise may initiate mitochondrial biogenesis...
- p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent activation of protein phosphatases 1 and 2A inhibits MEK1 and MEK2 activity and collagenase 1 (MMP-1) gene expressionJ Westermarck
Turku Centre for Biotechnology, University of Turku, University of Turku, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Mol Cell Biol 21:2373-83. 2001..Specific activation of p38alpha by adenovirus-delivered constitutively active MKK3b resulted in potent inhibition of the activity of ERK1,2 and ..
- Role of P38 MAPK, AP-1, and NF-kappaB in interleukin-1beta-induced IL-8 expression in human vascular smooth muscle cellsYoung D Jung
Chonnam National University Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Hakdong 5, Kwangju, Korea
Cytokine 18:206-13. 2002..b>P38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) was activated after 5min of IL-1beta treatment, whereas the extracellular ..
- Mitogen-activated protein kinases regulate LSF occupancy at the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 promoterLoyda Ylisastigui
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Y9 206a, Dallas, TX 75390 9113, USA
J Virol 79:5952-62. 2005..In vitro, phosphorylation of LSF by Erk decreases binding to the LTR, while binding is increased by p38 phosphorylation...
- HIV type 1 glycoprotein 120 inhibits human B cell chemotaxis to CXC chemokine ligand (CXCL) 12, CC chemokine ligand (CCL)20, and CCL21Gamal Badr
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 131, Institut Paris Sud sur les Cytokines, Clamart, France
J Immunol 175:302-10. 2005..Unlike CXCL12, gp120 did not induce the activation of phospholipase Cbeta3 and PI3K downstream from CXCR4, whereas p38 MAPK activation was observed...
- HIV-1 glycoprotein 120 induces the MMP-9 cytopathogenic factor production that is abolished by inhibition of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathwayD Missé
Laboratoire d Immunologie Rétrovirale et Moléculaire, the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement and the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 240 Av E Jeanbrau, 34094 Montpellier, France
Blood 98:541-7. 2001..Thus, both p38 and SAPK/Jun N-terminal kinase mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs) are activated on stimulation of these ..
- Suppression of p38 MAPK and JNK via Akt-mediated inhibition of apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1 constitutes a core component of the beta-cell pro-survival effects of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptideScott B Widenmaier
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences and the Diabetes Research Group, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3, Canada
J Biol Chem 284:30372-82. 2009..Akt, and Akt siRNA, it was demonstrated that GIP promoted beta-cell survival via Akt-dependent suppression of p38 MAPK and JNK and that combined inhibition was sufficient to explain the entire pro-survival responses to GIP during ..
- REX-1 expression and p38 MAPK activation status can determine proliferation/differentiation fates in human mesenchymal stem cellsDilli Ram Bhandari
Adult Stem Cell Research, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
PLoS ONE 5:e10493. 2010..Human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs) isolated from young tissues and cancer cells express REX1...
- Specific regulation of noncanonical p38alpha activation by Hsp90-Cdc37 chaperone complex in cardiomyocyteAsuka Ota
Division of Molecular Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Circ Res 106:1404-12. 2010b>p38 is an important stress activated protein kinase involved in gene regulation, proliferation, differentiation, and cell death regulation in heart...
- Characterization of the mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase 4 (MKK4)/c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase 1 and MKK3/p38 pathways regulated by MEK kinases 2 and 3. MEK kinase 3 activates MKK3 but does not cause activation of p38 kinase in vivoK Deacon
Department of Cell Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Leicester School of Medicine, P O Box 138, Medical Sciences Building, University Road, Leicester LE1 9HN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 272:14489-96. 1997..MKK3 specifically phosphorylates and activates p38, whereas MKK4 phosphorylates and activates both p38 and JNK...
- Interaction of p38 and Sp1 in a mechanical force-induced, beta 1 integrin-mediated transcriptional circuit that regulates the actin-binding protein filamin-AMario D'Addario
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Matrix Dynamics, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:47541-50. 2002..This induction required actin filaments and selective activation of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase...
- Morphine potentiates HIV-1 gp120-induced neuronal apoptosisShuxian Hu
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
J Infect Dis 191:886-9. 2005..mechanism whereby morphine potentiates gp120(IIIB)-induced neuronal apoptosis appears to involve activation of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase intracellular signaling pathway and microglial cells dispersed within the neuronal/..
- PKD, PKD2, and p38 MAPK mediate Hsp27 serine-82 phosphorylation induced by neurotensin in pancreatic cancer PANC-1 cellsJingzhen Yuan
Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center and Molecular Biology Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Cell Biochem 103:648-62. 2008It is widely recognized that Hsp27 is a downstream substrate of the p38 MAPK cascade whereas the role of PKD family members in mediating receptor-stimulated Hsp27 Ser-82 phosphorylation has not been evaluated...
- HIV-1 Tat protein induces TNF-alpha and IL-10 production by human macrophages: differential implication of PKC-betaII and -delta isozymes and MAP kinases ERK1/2 and p38Kaoutar Leghmari
Laboratoire d Immuno Virologie des Lentivirus des Primates, Université Paul Sabatier 118, Toulouse, France
Cell Immunol 254:46-55. 2008..However, p38 MAP kinase seems to be involved only in IL-10 and not TNF-alpha production.
- Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression in human intestinal microvascular endothelial cells is regulated by PI 3-kinase/Akt/MAPK/NF-kappaB: inhibitory role of curcuminDavid G Binion
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G259-68. 2009..expression in HIMEC was suppressed by Akt small-interfering RNA, curcumin, and inhibitors of NF-kappaB (SN-50), p38 MAPK (SB-203580) and PI 3-kinase/Akt (LY-294002)...
- DJ-1 modulates the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway through physical interaction with apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1Jung Soon Mo
Hormone Research Center, School of Biological Sciences and Technology, Chonnam National University, Yongbong Dong, Buk Ku, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
J Cell Biochem 110:229-37. 2010..of DJ-1 inhibited H(2)O(2)-induced activation of ASK1 as well as the activation of downstream kinases in the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signaling cascade...
- Activation of the protein kinase p38 in the spindle assembly checkpoint and mitotic arrestK Takenaka
Department of Biophysics, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 01, Japan
Science 280:599-602. 1998..classical MAPK (also called ERK), c-Jun amino-terminal or stress-activated protein kinase (JNK or SAPK), and p38. Although MAPK is essential for meiotic processes in Xenopus oocytes and the spindle assembly checkpoint in Xenopus ..
- Protein kinase C-induced activation of a ceramide/protein phosphatase 1 pathway leading to dephosphorylation of p38 MAPKKazuyuki Kitatani
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Biol Chem 281:36793-802. 2006..PMA treatment resulted in transient activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases (ERK1/2, JNK1/2, and p38) followed by dephosphorylation/inactivation...
- HIV-1 Tat protein induces IL-10 production by an alternative TNF-alpha-independent pathway in monocytes: role of PKC-delta and p38 MAP kinaseKaoutar Leghmari
Laboratoire d Immuno Virologie, EA 3038, Université Paul Sabatier 118, route de Narbonne 4R3, 31062 Toulouse, Cedex, France
Cell Immunol 253:45-53. 2008..induce IL-10 production, we evaluated the link between Tat, TNF-alpha and IL-10 and the implication of PKC and p38 MAP kinase pathways...
- The Epstein-Barr virus oncoprotein latent membrane protein 1 induces expression of the chemokine IP-10: importance of mRNA half-life regulationMartina Vockerodt
Zentrum Kinderheilkunde und Jugendmedizin, Abteilung Pädiatrie I, Georg August Universitat, Gottingen, Germany
Int J Cancer 114:598-605. 2005..IP-10 induction is inhibited by blockade of p38/SAPK2 with SB 202190, which results in decreased IP-10 mRNA half-life without affecting IP-10 promoter activity...
- Signal transducer and activator of transcription factor 1 mediates apoptosis induced by hepatitis C virus and HIV envelope proteins in hepatocytesAnuradha Balasubramanian
Division of Experimental Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Infect Dis 194:670-81. 2006..Moreover, inhibitor studies indicated that Lyn kinase, p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase, and protein kinase C delta might be involved in STAT1 phosphorylation...
- Caveolin-1 acts as a tumor suppressor by down-regulating epidermal growth factor receptor-mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway in pancreatic carcinoma cell linesFei Han
Department of Pathology, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Pancreas 38:766-74. 2009..To investigate the effect of caveolin-1 (cav1) in pancreatic carcinoma panc1 cell growth in vitro and in vivo...
- Kiss-1 suppresses MMP-9 expression by activating p38 MAP kinase in human stomach cancerKyung Hee Lee
Department of Hematology Oncology, College of Medicine, Yeungnam University, Daegu, Korea
Oncol Res 18:107-16. 2009..Downregulation of Kiss-1 using Kiss-1 shRNA also increased in vitro cell invasion. In conclusion, Kiss-1 suppresses MMP-9 expression by activating the p38 MAP kinase signaling pathway.
- A p38(MAPK)/HIF-1 pathway initiated by UVB irradiation is required to induce Noxa and apoptosis of human keratinocytesKris Nys
Cell Death Research and Therapy Laboratory, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Invest Dermatol 130:2269-76. 2010..Previously, we reported that in UVB-irradiated keratinocytes, p38(MAPK) instigates Bcl-2-associated X protein (Bax) activation and mitochondrial apoptosis...
- Nox2-based NADPH oxidase mediates HIV-1 Tat-induced up-regulation of VCAM-1/ICAM-1 and subsequent monocyte adhesion in human astrocytesHa Yong Song
Department of Biomedical Science and Research Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hallym University, Chunchon 200 702, Republic of Korea
Free Radic Biol Med 50:576-84. 2011..siRNA decreased HIV-1 Tat-induced NF-κB activation as well as activation of MAP kinases including ERK, JNK, and p38. These data indicate that Nox2-based NADPH oxidase is responsible for HIV-1 Tat-induced generation of ROS and plays ..
- T cell LFA-1 engagement induces HuR-dependent cytokine mRNA stabilization through a Vav-1, Rac1/2, p38MAPK and MKK3 signaling cascadeVinod S Ramgolam
Raymond and Beverly Sackler Foundation Cardiovascular Laboratory, Departments of Medicine Cardiovascular Medicine and Immunobiology, Vascular Biology and Therapeutics Program, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e14450. 2010..However, little is known regarding integrin-induced signaling cascades that affect mRNA catabolism. This study examines the role of the GTPases, Rac 1 and Rac 2, and their downstream effectors, in the LFA-1-induced effects on mRNA...
- Interleukin-8 induces the endothelial cell migration through the Rac 1/RhoA-p38MAPK pathwayY Lai
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, West China School of Preclinical and Forensic Medicine, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 16:630-8. 2012..The objective of this study was to investigate the molecular mechanism of IL-8 induced endothelial cell migration in vitro...
- Phosphorylation and activation of mitogen- and stress-activated protein kinase-1 in adult rat cardiac myocytes by G-protein-coupled receptor agonists requires both extracellular-signal-regulated kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinaseThomais Markou
Laboratory of Animal Physiology, Department of Zoology, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Biochem J 365:757-63. 2002..Maximal activation of MSK1 in adult cardiomyocytes temporally coincided with maximal p38 MAPK activation while activation of the extracellular-signal-regulated kinase (ERK) cascade was more rapid...
- p38 MAPK and ERK activation by 9-cis-retinoic acid induces chemokine receptors CCR1 and CCR2 expression in human monocytic THP-1 cellsJesang Ko
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul 136 701, Korea
Exp Mol Med 39:129-38. 2007..up-regulation of CCR1 and CCR2 in 9CRA-stimulated cells were weakly blocked by the pretreatment of SB202190, a p38 MAPK inhibitor, and PD98059, an upstream ERK inhibitor...
- ERK-1/2 and p38 in the regulation of hypertrophic changes of normal articular cartilage chondrocytes induced by osteoarthritic subchondral osteoblastsIndira Prasadam
Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Arthritis Rheum 62:1349-60. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate the in vitro effects of OA SBOs on the phenotypical changes in normal ACCs and to unveil the potential involvement of MAPK signaling pathways during this process...
- Roles of JNK-1 and p38 in selective induction of apoptosis by capsaicin in ras-transformed human breast epithelial cellsHye Jung Kang
College of Pharmacy, Duksung Women s University, 4129 Ssangmun dong, Tobong ku, Seoul 132 714, Korea
Int J Cancer 103:475-82. 2003..In H-ras MCF10A cells, capsaicin treatment markedly activated c-Jun N-terminal protein kinase (JNK)-1 and p38 matigen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) while it deactivated extracellular signal-regulated protein kinases (ERKs)...
- Inhibition of p38 alpha MAPK rescues cardiomyopathy induced by overexpressed beta 2-adrenergic receptor, but not beta 1-adrenergic receptorPallavi S Peter
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 185 South Orange Avenue, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
J Clin Invest 117:1335-43. 2007We examined the role of p38alpha MAPK in mediating cardiomyopathy in mice overexpressing beta(1)-adrenergic receptor (beta(1)-AR) or beta(2)-AR by mating them with dominant-negative p38alpha (DNp38alpha) MAPK mice...
- Involvement of connexin 43 in angiotensin II-induced migration and proliferation of saphenous vein smooth muscle cells via the MAPK-AP-1 signaling pathwayGuanghong Jia
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 44:882-90. 2008..The effect of angiotensin II was blocked by siRNA of ERK 1/2, p38 MAPK and JNK, respectively. Overexpression of Cx43 markedly increased the proliferation of saphenous vein SMCs...
- A novel protein kinase A-independent, beta-arrestin-1-dependent signaling pathway for p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation by beta2-adrenergic receptorsKaizheng Gong
Institute of Vascular Medicine, Peking University Third Hospital and Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Science, Ministry of Education, Beijing 100191, China
J Biol Chem 283:29028-36. 2008A growing body of evidence has demonstrated that p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) has a crucial role in various physiological and pathological processes mediated by beta(2)-adrenergic receptors (beta(2)-ARs)...
- Toll-like receptor 4 regulates heme oxygenase-1 expression after hemorrhagic shock induced acute lung injury in mice: requirement of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activationChang Chen
Department of Anesthesiology, Zhongnan Hospital, Medical College of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei, People s Republic of China
Shock 31:486-92. 2009..Arterial blood gases; expressions of TLR-4, heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1), and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (p38MAPK); myeloperoxidase activity; lung wet/dry ratios; and IL-10 levels in lung ..
- Cell growth of ovarian cancer cells is stimulated by xenoestrogens through an estrogen-dependent pathway, but their stimulation of cell growth appears not to be involved in the activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinases ERK-1 and p38Se Hyung Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, British Columbia Women s Hospital, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Reprod Dev 55:23-9. 2009..BPA rapidly induced activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) 1/2 and p38 MAPK at 15 min, but the effect of BPA (10 microM) on stimulation of cell growth was not blocked by pretreatment ..
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha upregulates 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 expression by CCAAT/enhancer binding protein-beta in HepG2 cellsIrena D Ignatova
Depts of Nephrology and Hypertension and Clinical Research, Freiburgstrasse 15, Univ Hospital, Berne, CH 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E367-77. 2009..We found that TNF-alpha acts via p38 MAPK pathway...
- STAT3, p38 MAPK, and NF-kappaB drive unopposed monocyte-dependent fibroblast MMP-1 secretion in tuberculosisCecilia M O'Kane
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Hammersmith Campus, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 43:465-74. 2010..MMP-1 up-regulation and TIMP-1 down-regulation were p38 (but not extracellular signal-regulated kinase or c-Jun N-terminal kinase) mitogen-activated protein kinase-..
- Differential induction of interleukin-10 in monocytes by HIV-1 clade B and clade C Tat proteinsJustine K Wong
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 285:18319-25. 2010..Moreover, we show that p38alpha/p38beta and phosphoinositide 3-kinase are crucial to Tat-induced IL-10 production...
- Transcription of the transforming growth factor beta activating integrin beta8 subunit is regulated by SP3, AP-1, and the p38 pathwayJennifer A Markovics
Department of Pathology, Pulmonary Division, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
J Biol Chem 285:24695-706. 2010..expression and that Sp1, Sp3, and several AP-1 transcription factors form a complex that binds to these sites in a p38-dependent manner...
- Reactive oxygen species-activated p38/ERK 1/2 MAPK signaling pathway in the Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette Guérin (BCG)-induced CCL2 secretion in human monocytic cell line THP-1Patricia Méndez-Samperio
Departamento de Inmunologia, Escuela Nacional de Ciencias Biologicas, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, IPN, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Arch Med Res 41:579-85. 2010....
- Inhibition of p38 MAP kinase by utilizing a novel allosteric binding siteChristopher Pargellis
Department of Biology, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Research and Development Center, 900 Ridgebury Road, Ridgefield, Connecticut 06877, USA
Nat Struct Biol 9:268-72. 2002The p38 MAP kinase plays a crucial role in regulating the production of proinflammatory cytokines, such as tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-1...
- MAPKK-independent activation of p38alpha mediated by TAB1-dependent autophosphorylation of p38alphaBaoxue Ge
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 295:1291-4. 2002..Here, we report an unexpected activation mechanism for p38alpha MAPK that does not involve the prototypic kinase cascade...
- Role of p38 MAPK and RNA-dependent protein kinase (PKR) in hepatitis C virus core-dependent nuclear delocalization of cyclin B1Alessandra Spaziani
Laboratory of Clinical Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of L Aquila, 67100 L Aquila, Italy
J Biol Chem 281:10983-9. 2006..On the other hand, the viral protein also increases the activity of the cyclin B1-CDK1 complex via the p38 MAPK and JNK pathways...
- Synergism of Toll-like receptor-induced interleukin-12p70 secretion by monocyte-derived dendritic cells is mediated through p38 MAPK and lowers the threshold of T-helper cell type 1 responsesHermann R Bohnenkamp
Cancer Research UK, Breast Cancer Biology Group, Thomas Guy House, 3rd Floor, Guy s Hospital, London SE1 9RT, UK
Cell Immunol 247:72-84. 2007..activation of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) and mitogen activated protein kinases (MAPK) such as SAPK/JNK and p38 MAPK and the interferon (IFN) dependent pathway that signals via TRIF and results in the production of IFN-alpha/..
- Phosphorylation of EEA1 by p38 MAP kinase regulates mu opioid receptor endocytosisGaetane Mace
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
EMBO J 24:3235-46. 2005..of an activated mutant of Rab5 stimulated endocytosis of MOR ligand-independently in wild-type but not in p38alpha-/- cells...
- A functional role for p38 MAPK in modulating mitotic transit in the absence of stressHyukjin Cha
Department of Genetics and Complex Diseases, School of Public Health, and John B Little Center for the Radiation Sciences and Environmental Health, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 282:22984-92. 2007Although p38 MAPK is known to be activated in response to various environmental stresses and to have inhibitory roles in cell proliferation and tumor progression, its role in cell cycle progression in the absence of stress is unknown in ..
- p38alpha is active in vitro and in vivo when monophosphorylated at threonine 180Nadav Askari
Department of Biological Chemistry, The Alexander Silberman Institute of Life Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel 91904
Biochemistry 48:2497-504. 2009..Here we tested this notion by producing p38alpha variants carrying a T180A or Y182F mutation or both and assessing their activity in vitro and in vivo...
- p38alpha MAP kinase C-terminal domain binding pocket characterized by crystallographic and computational analysesJ Jefferson P Perry
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Mol Biol 391:1-11. 2009..protein (MAP) kinase protein family has a critical role in cellular signaling events, with MAP kinase p38alpha acting in inflammatory processes and being an important drug discovery target...
- Isolation of the human genes encoding the pyst1 and Pyst2 phosphatases: characterisation of Pyst2 as a cytosolic dual-specificity MAP kinase phosphatase and its catalytic activation by both MAP and SAP kinasesS Dowd
ICRF Molecular Pharmacology Unit, Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK
J Cell Sci 111:3389-99. 1998..vitro and in vivo, displaying much reduced activity towards stress activated MAP kinase isoforms such as JNK-1 and p38/RK...
- Distinct binding determinants for ERK2/p38alpha and JNK map kinases mediate catalytic activation and substrate selectivity of map kinase phosphatase-1D N Slack
Imperial Cancer Research Fund Molecular Pharmacology Unit, Biomedical Research Centre, Level 5, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:16491-500. 2001..that MKP-1 is able to interact selectively with the extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2), p38alpha, and c-Jun NH(2)-terminal kinase (JNK) MAP kinase isoforms...
- Initiation of a G2/M checkpoint after ultraviolet radiation requires p38 kinaseD V Bulavin
Division of Basic Science, National Cancer Intitute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Nature 411:102-7. 2001..Here we report that p38 kinase has a critical role in the initiation of a G2 delay after ultraviolet radiation...
- Selective hormone-dependent repression of estrogen receptor beta by a p38-activated ErbB2/ErbB3 pathwayVéronique St-Laurent
Ste Justine Hospital Research Center, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, Que, Canada H3T 1C5
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 94:23-37. 2005..However, as opposed to ERalpha, the p38 MAPK pathway was found to be involved in liganded ERbeta repression activity by ErbB2 signaling and in regulating ..
- p38alpha MAP kinase is essential in lung stem and progenitor cell proliferation and differentiationJuan Jose Ventura
CNIO Spanish National Cancer Center, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Nat Genet 39:750-8. 2007Stem cell function is central for the maintenance of normal tissue homeostasis. Here we show that deletion of p38alpha mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase in adult mice results in increased proliferation and defective differentiation ..
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase regulate induction of Mcl-1 and survival in glucocorticoid-treated human neutrophilsArash S Saffar
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:492-498.e10. 2008..Glucocorticoids have been shown to inhibit human neutrophil apoptosis, with implications that this might help accentuate neutrophilic inflammation...
- Interleukin-32 induces the differentiation of monocytes into macrophage-like cellsMihai G Netea
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:3515-20. 2008..IL-32 is a cytokine inducing proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines via p38-MAPK and NF-kappaB...
- Role of TGF-beta1-independent changes in protein neosynthesis, p38alphaMAPK, and cdc42 in hydrogen peroxide-induced senescence-like morphogenesisAline Chretien
Research Unit on Cellular Biology, University of Namur, B 5000 Namur, Belgium
Free Radic Biol Med 44:1732-51. 2008..Rho-GTPase cdc42 was shown to be responsible for p38(MAPK) activation, in turn triggering phosphorylation of L-caldesmon and HSP27...
- Induction of proinflammatory cytokines in primary human macrophages by influenza A virus (H5N1) is selectively regulated by IFN regulatory factor 3 and p38 MAPKKenrie P Y Hui
Department of Microbiology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
J Immunol 182:1088-98. 2009..IRF3 knockdown and p38 kinase inhibition separately and in combination led to a substantial reduction of IFN-beta, IFN-lambda1, and MCP-1 ..
- The AP-1 repressor, JDP2, is a bona fide substrate for the c-Jun N-terminal kinaseS Katz
Department of Molecular Genetics and the Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and the B Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, P O Box 9649, Bat Galim, 31096, Haifa, Israel
FEBS Lett 506:196-200. 2001..Our data indicate that JDP2 is a bona fide substrate for the c-Jun N-terminal kinase. The precise role of JDP2 phosphorylation on its function is not yet known...
- Keratin 8 phosphorylation by p38 kinase regulates cellular keratin filament reorganization: modulation by a keratin 1-like disease causing mutationNam On Ku
Department of Medicine, and Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
J Biol Chem 277:10775-82. 2002..Here we show that Ser-73 is exclusively phosphorylated in vitro by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase...
- Hypoxia activates beta(1)-integrin via ERK 1/2 and p38 MAP kinase in human vascular smooth muscle cellsFlorian Blaschke
Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Department of Cardiology, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 296:890-6. 2002..of the pharmacological ERK 1/2 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway inhibitor PD98059 (30 microM) or the p38 MAPK inhibitor SB203580 (1 microM)...
- cAMP targeting of p38 MAP kinase inhibits thrombin-induced NF-kappaB activation and ICAM-1 expression in endothelial cellsArshad Rahman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287:L1017-24. 2004..Because p38 MAPK can induce transcriptional activity of RelA/p65 without altering the DNA binding function of NF-kappaB, we ..
- Alpha-lipoic acid-induced heme oxygenase-1 expression is mediated by nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in human monocytic cellsRichard M Ogborne
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Elsie Widdowson Laboratory, Cambridge, CB1 9NL, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:2100-5. 2005..This study examined the effects of ALA on HO-1 expression in human monocytic cells...
- Lysophosphatidic acid induces prostate cancer PC3 cell migration via activation of LPA(1), p42 and p38alphaFeng Hao
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1771:883-92. 2007..of p38 MAPK isotypes of alpha, beta, gamma and delta, we have identified that the activation of ERK2 (p42) and p38alpha, but not of ERK1 and the other isoforms of p38 MAPK, is required for LPA-induced migration...
- Identification of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and p38 MAPK as regulators of human sperm motility and acrosome reaction and as predictors of poor spermatozoan qualityTal Almog
Department of Biochemistry, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
J Biol Chem 283:14479-89. 2008..Here we report that ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK are primarily localized to the tail of mature human spermatozoa...
- Phosphorylation of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) receptor 1 at Ser777 by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase regulates translocation of exogenous FGF1 to the cytosol and nucleusVigdis Sørensen
Centre for Cancer Biomedicine, Faculty Division Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Mol Cell Biol 28:4129-41. 2008..translocation was inhibited after chemical inhibition of p38 MAPK or after small interfering RNA knockdown of p38alpha. Translocation was increased after stimulation of p38 MAPK with anisomycin, mannitol, or H2O2...
- Independent human MAP-kinase signal transduction pathways defined by MEK and MKK isoformsB Derijard
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01605
Science 267:682-5. 1995..Two human MAP kinase kinases (MKK3 and MKK4) were cloned that phosphorylate and activate p38 MAP kinase. These MKK isoforms did not activate the ERK subgroup of MAP kinases, but MKK4 did activate JNK...
- p38 and extracellular signal-regulated kinases regulate the myogenic program at multiple stepsZ Wu
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Signal Transduction, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0322, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:3951-64. 2000..by MyoD, and (iii) MyoD-dependent myogenic conversion is reduced in mouse embryonic fibroblasts derived from p38alpha(-/-) embryos...
- HIV-1 gp120 and chemokine activation of Pyk2 and mitogen-activated protein kinases in primary macrophages mediated by calcium-dependent, pertussis toxin-insensitive chemokine receptor signalingM Del Corno
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Blood 98:2909-16. 2001..protein kinase (MAPK) superfamily, c-Jun amino-terminal kinase/stress-activated protein kinase and p38 MAPK...
- TAB1beta (transforming growth factor-beta-activated protein kinase 1-binding protein 1beta ), a novel splicing variant of TAB1 that interacts with p38alpha but not TAK1Baoxue Ge
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 278:2286-93. 2003..We have recently found that activation of p38alpha MAPK can be carried out not only by its upstream MAPK kinases (MKKs) but also by p38alpha autophosphorylation...
- p38 and ERK1/2 coordinate cellular migration and proliferation in epithelial wound healing: evidence of cross-talk activation between MAP kinase cascadesGuru Dutt Sharma
Department of Ophthalmology and Neuroscience Center of Excellence, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 2020 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Biol Chem 278:21989-97. 2003..keratinocyte growth factor (KGF), induced rapid and marked activation and prompt nuclear accumulation of phospho-p38 (p-p38) and -ERK1/2 (p-ERK1/2), but not of JNK (p-JNK1/2), in corneal epithelial cells...
- p38-MAPK signals survival by phosphorylation of caspase-8 and caspase-3 in human neutrophilsMaria Alvarado-Kristensson
Division of Experimental Pathology, Lund University, U MAS, Entrance 78, Floor 3, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Exp Med 199:449-58. 2004..Here, we show that p38-mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) associates to caspase-8 and caspase-3 during neutrophil apoptosis and that ..
- p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase mediates lipopolysaccharide and tumor necrosis factor alpha induction of shiga toxin 2 sensitivity in human umbilical vein endothelial cellsMatthew K Stone
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Infect Immun 76:1115-21. 2008..Cell viability assays indicated that the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) inhibitors SB202190 and SB203580 and the general protein synthesis ..
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha regulates inflammatory and mesenchymal responses via mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase, p38, and nuclear factor kappaB in human endometriotic epithelial cellsEric M Grund
EMD Serono Research Institute, One Technology Place, Rockland, MA 02190, USA
Mol Pharmacol 73:1394-404. 2008..nuclear factor kappaB, extracellular signal-regulated kinase > mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase (MEK), p38, and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) > Akt1/2...
- p38alpha and p38gamma mediate oncogenic ras-induced senescence through differential mechanismsJinny Kwong
Department of Molecular Biology and Kellogg School of Science and Technology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 91037, USA
J Biol Chem 284:11237-46. 2009..In the current study, we demonstrated that p38alpha and p38gamma, but not p38beta, play an essential role in oncogenic ras-induced senescence...
- Activation of p38 MAPK is required in monocytic and neuronal cells for HIV glycoprotein 120-induced neurotoxicityKathryn E Medders
Infectious and Inflammatory Disease Center, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 185:4883-95. 2010..cerebrocortical cell cultures from rodents containing microglia, astrocytes, and neurons that overall inhibition of p38 MAPK signaling abrogated the neurotoxic effect of HIV-1 gp120...
- Pro-inflammatory cytokines and environmental stress cause p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation by dual phosphorylation on tyrosine and threonineJ Raingeaud
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01605, USA
J Biol Chem 270:7420-6. 1995..Immunofluorescence microscopy demonstrated that p38 MAP kinase is present in both the nucleus and cytoplasm of activated cells...
- MKK3- and MKK6-regulated gene expression is mediated by the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathwayJ Raingeaud
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01605 USA
Mol Cell Biol 16:1247-55. 1996..The detection of p38 MAP kinase in the nucleus of activated cells suggests that p38 MAP kinase can mediate signaling to the nucleus...
- Activation of the transcription factor MEF2C by the MAP kinase p38 in inflammationJ Han
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 386:296-9. 1997..In mammalian cells the MAPK p38 is thought to play an important role in the regulation of cellular responses during infection through its effects ..
- Mitogen-activated Protein Kinases and NF-kB Activation in Vascular Smooth MuscleBingbing Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2010..A major hypothesis is that extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) and p38 MAPK signaling pathways inversely regulate the duration and amplitude of NF-:B activation induced by cytokines, ..
- THE STRESS-ACTIVATED PROTEIN KINASE PATHWAYJohn M Kyriakis; Fiscal Year: 2010..mixed-lineage kinases (MLKs)-2 and -3), is required for activation of the Jun-N-terminal kinase (JNK) and p38 MAPK groups by a clinically relevant subset of pathogen-associated molecular patterns (PAMPs-molecular moieties, ..
- Jin Kyung Kim; Fiscal Year: 2016..We hypothesize that estrogen signals to several important regulators of cell fate in ischemic stress - cardiac p38 mitogen-activated protein kinases (p38 MAPKs) and p53, a well-known mediator of apoptosis - to protect the ..
- Emilio B Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2014..receptor associated protein (RAP) affect aPL-mediated upregulation of TF, ICAM-1, cytokines and p38 mitogen activated protein kinase (p38 MAPK) phosphorylation in EC and activation of monocytes and platelets...
- Anthrax Toxins Impair Phagocyte Actin-based MotilityFrederick Southwick; Fiscal Year: 2010..signaling using PH-GFP constructs, examine Rac signaling using a GFP- probe that binds active Rac, and investigate p38 MAPK signaling using specific antibodies and inhibitors. C...
- Estrogen receptor, p38 MAPKs and topo IIa in breast cancerGuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>p38 MAPKs consist of 1, 2, 3, and 4 proteins that are major kinase cascades to determine cellular response to upstream ..
- Targeting Tight Junctions To Treat MucositisFREDERICK GARY TOBACK; Fiscal Year: 2010..AMP peptide increased accumulation of TJ proteins (occludin, ZO-1), and stimulated the phosphorylation of p38 MAP kinase and heat shock protein 25 which could stabilize actin filaments...
- Mechanisms that Regulate Neonatal Lung Heme Oxygenase in HyperoxiaPhyllis A Dennery; Fiscal Year: 2013..Nonetheless, CO can activate p38 MAP kinase signaling resulting in apoptosis...
- The Role of Kappa Opioid Receptor-induced Activation of Astrocytes in the ReinstaCharles Chavkin; Fiscal Year: 2009..that stress-induced dynorphin release activates kappa opioid receptors (KOR) that stimulate phosphorylation of p38 MAPK expressed by both astroglial cells and GABAergic neurons in brain...
- The Role of Xanthine Oxidoreductase in Ventilator-Associated Lung InjuryPaul M Hassoun; Fiscal Year: 2013..and pharmacological inhibitors to test our hypotheses that the enzyme xanthine oxidoreductase (XOR) and the p38 MAP kinase signaling pathway play crucial roles in the pathogenesis of VALI, and anticipate that the studies proposed ..
- Exercise Induced Biochemical and Anatomical AdaptationsJohn O Holloszy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Relative to this goal our aims are to test the hypotheses that activation of p38 MAPK is the next step in the pathway leading from CAMK and AMPK to increased mitochondrial biogenesis and GLUT ..
- Small heat shock proteins in smooth muscle plasticityWilliam T Gerthoffer; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposing a substantial shift in focus of the project to test the novel idea that phosphorylation of HSP27 via the p38 MAPK/MK2 pathway inhibits the function of the miRNA silencing machinery...
- Mercedes Rincon; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The p38 MAP kinase (MAPK) pathway is activated in response to stress stimuli (e.g...
- TAMMY ANGALINE BUTTERICK; Fiscal Year: 2016..OxA has been shown to activate extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 (ERK1/2) and p38 mitogen activated phosphate kinase (MAPK) in various cell models...
- MECHANISM OF CANALICULAR BILE FORMATION AND CHOLESTASISMOHAMMED SAWKAT ANWER; Fiscal Year: 2010..the role of aPKCz, Rab4 and phosphorylation in Ntcp translocation and started defining the role of nPKCd, nPKCe and p38 MAPK in Mrp2 translocation...
- Signaling and microRNA function in neuronsDavid L Turner; Fiscal Year: 2012..Phosphorylation of the Ago-2 protein by the p38 MAP kinase/MAPKAP kinase 2 (MAPKAP-K2) pathway alters its subcellular localization, and p38 kinase/ MAPKAP-K2 signaling ..
- Mechanism of Anthrax Lethal Factor ToxicityUsamah S Kayyali; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have shown that p38 MAP kinase activation leading to HSP27 phosphorylation by the kinase MK2 augments the endothelial permeability barrier ..
- Transgenic Mouse Model to Address Heterogeneity in Autism Spectrum DisordersRANDY DEAN BLAKELY; Fiscal Year: 2010..phosphorylation, and 3) a lack of responsiveness to multiple SERT posttranslational regulatory pathways including p38 MAPK pathways activated by inflammatory cytokines...
- MAP Kinase Signaling in Apoptosis-Induced Ventilator-Associated Lung InjuryMahendra Damarla; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the downstream effectors of p38 MAP kinase involved in mediating the development and severity of VALI remain unknown...
- Regulation of Skeletal Muscle RegenerationYi Ping Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..The activation of p38 MAPK plays a critical role in chromatin remodeling and in the activation of key myogenic transcription factors and, ..
- SANDRA ANN REMPEL; Fiscal Year: 2015..Furthermore, we found that SPARC induces migration and invasion via the activation of p38 MAPK-MAPKAPK2-HSP27 signaling pathway...
- Nicholas P Poolos; Fiscal Year: 2016..A novel modulator of HCN channel gating, p38 mitogen- activated kinase (p38 MAPK), was characterized as well, with inhibition of p38 MAPK causing downregulation ..
- MOHAMMED SAWKAT ANWER; Fiscal Year: 2014..the role of aPKC , Rab4 and phosphorylation in Ntcp translocation and started defining the role of nPKC , nPKC and p38 MAPK in Mrp2 translocation...
- Wendell G Yarbrough; Fiscal Year: 2016..We have recently found and confirmed that LZAP binds the stress activated protein kinase, p38 MAPK (hereafter p38), and the wild-type p53 induced phosphatase, Wip1...
- The role of microglial-and neuron-specific MyD88 signaling in tauopathiesKiran Bhaskar; Fiscal Year: 2013..induces MAPT phosphorylation in primary neurons via activating neuronal IL1-receptor (IL1-R) and p38 mitogen activated protein kinase (p38 MAPK) pathway...
- Michael B Yaffe; Fiscal Year: 2016..the ATR-Chk1 and ATM-Chk2 pathways that are dedicated to responding solely to signals from DNA damage per se, the p38 MAPK-MK2 pathway is a much more global stress-response pathway that can also be activated by other types of ..
- Adherence Activated Monocyte GenesGary Brewer; Fiscal Year: 2009..are cultured in the presence of either a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, or a MEK kinase inhibitor, or a p38 MAP kinase inhibitor...
- Anthrax Lethal Toxin-Induced Heart Failure: Role of PP2A and MAP KinasesDavid E Dostal; Fiscal Year: 2013..changes in left ventricular tissue suggests that cleavage of MEKs by anthrax LT causes an imbalance in ERK, JNK and p38 MAPK activity that results in PP2A activation and reduced contractile function...
- Epilepsy and dendritic excitabilityNICHOLAS POOLOS; Fiscal Year: 2009..A novel modulator of HCN channel gating, p38 mitogen- activated kinase (p38 MAPK), was characterized as well, with inhibition of p38 MAPK causing downregulation ..
- Novel CB ReceptorsNephi Stella; Fiscal Year: 2010..a stable endocannabinoid analog) activate phospholipase C, increase intracellular calcium and stimulate p38 MAP kinase phosphorylation in GPR55-expressing HEK293 cells...
- Peiqing Sun; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The p38 MAPK pathway was initially identified as a mediator of inflammatory and stress responses...
- Peiqing Sun; Fiscal Year: 2016..Studies from our lab indicate that the p38 MAPK and its downstream substrate kinase PRAK play a key role in oncogenic ras-induced senescence and tumor ..
- Yusuf Awni Hannun; Fiscal Year: 2015..to the hypothesis that the novel salvage pathway involving GBA1/ceramide/CAPP functions to regulate the activity of p38 MAPK, which in turn couples the GBA/ceramide pathway to the regulation of cytokine-induced inflammatory responses, ..
- NEUROMODULATION OF THE ANTIBODY RESPONSEVirginia M Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2012..CSR), through a mechanism that appears to inactivate Hematopoetic protein tyrosine phosphatase (HePTP) and enhance p38 MAPK phosphorylation to mediate an increase in ADAM10, which cleaves membrane CD23 to a soluble form...
- ETHANOL AND MAP KINASE CASCADESHIVENDRA SHUKLA; Fiscal Year: 2009..Based on new supporting data, it is hypothesized that "ethanol modulates p38 MAPK activity leading to downstream activation of nuclear mitogen and stress activated kinase-1 (MSK-1) and ..
- Hypoxia-induced Endothelial Barrier DysfunctionUsamah Kayyali; Fiscal Year: 2009..Preliminary studies have led to the hypothesis that exposure to hypoxia initiates cell signaling through the p38 MAP kinase pathway involving MK2 and HSP27 activation that leads to actin cytoskeleton and hic-5 redistribution...
- NGF-Dependent Sensitization of Nociceptors by OpiatesFrank Porreca; Fiscal Year: 2012..and an increase in expression of NGF in peripheral tissues;(b) increase NGF-dependent phosphorylation of p38 MAPK (pp38 MAPK) in TrkA-positive cells, (c) increase NGF-dependent and pp38 MAPK-dependent trafficking of the ..
- REGULATION OF SEROTONIN TRANSPORTERSRandy D Blakely; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Specific Aim II, we examine the role of p38 mitogen associated protein kinase (MAPK) in modulating SERT intrinsic activities...
- Gary S Firestein; Fiscal Year: 2016..have been identified, including c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK), extracellular regulating kinase (ERK), and p38 MAP kinase. p38 is thought to be especially relevant to rheumatoid arthritis (RA) because it is activated in RA synovium ..
- Chymase-Mediated MMP Activation in Ishemia Reperfusion InjuryLOUIS JOSEPH DELL'ITALIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..will study the time course of FAK dephosphorylation and activation of downstream signaling pathways ERK, JNK, p38 MAP kinase and NF:B, which are known to activate MMPs...
- Tatiana Efimova; Fiscal Year: 2014..The p38 MAPK family members function in a cell type-specific and cell context-specific manner to regulate cell ..
- Marcus Kaul; Fiscal Year: 2016..that RANTES and MIP-1? via CCR5 reduce the activity of the pro-inflammatory and stress-related p38 mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) and protect cerebrocortical neurons against neurotoxicity of HIV/gp120 in an Akt-dependent ..
- KATHERINE JULIA KELLY; Fiscal Year: 2014..both systemic, particularly interleukins (interleukin)-1 and -6, and intrarenal (angiotensin II and p38 mitogen activated protein kinase) mediators regulate ICAM-1 and LOX-1 and therefore inflammation and function in the aged, diabetic ..
- Regulation of Bile Acid Synthesis by Nuclear Receptors in VivoGregorio Gil; Fiscal Year: 2012..12-hydroxylases, by a two-step mechanism: first, bile acids suppress HNF-4 through a process mediated by the p38 MAP kinase pathway (a novel observation recently made in the P.I...
- Serrine S Lau; Fiscal Year: 2014..Specifically, those mediators are Nrf2, Grp78, and p38 MAPK, each of which is also a key mediator of ischemia preconditioning...
- MOLECULAR MODELS OF IMMUNE-MEDIATED VASCULAR INJURYJeffrey R Bender; Fiscal Year: 2012..of T cell LFA-1-mediated HuR translocation and mRNA stabilization, focusing on the Rac downstream targets p38 MAPK, MAPK-activated protein kinase 2 (MK2) and novel, T cell-specific MK2 targets, using pharmacologic inhibitors, ..
- CHONDROPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF POMEGRANATE EXTRACTTariq M Haqqi; Fiscal Year: 2010..reported that PFE exert a potent inhibitory effect on IL-1[unreadable]-induced activation of MAPK sub-groups p38-MAPK and JNK, transcription factor NF-?B and the expression of MMPs by human cartilage explants and chondrocytes in ..
- Beta-adrenergic regulation of adipose tissue function by PKA and MAP kinasesSheila Collins; Fiscal Year: 2009..that additional signaling cascades emanate from [unreadable]ARs in adipocytes, and these include the ERK and p38 MAP kinase pathways...
- Sven Eric Jordt; Fiscal Year: 2016..TRP channel, through influx of calcium, activate p38 MAP kinase, a major transducer and activator of inflammation and cell death in injured tissue...
- Tahir Hussain; Fiscal Year: 2016..Aim 1 will study the role of p38 MAP kinase and transcription factors IRF-1 and C/EBP2 in increasing AT2 receptor expression by high glucose ..
- Regulation of Neuronal Survival by the Rit GTPaseDOUGLAS ALLEN ANDRES; Fiscal Year: 2012..and neurotrophin-initiated signals, to activate a distinct pro-survival signaling cascade that relies upon p38 MAP kinase signaling...
- Lei Wei; Fiscal Year: 2015..of HDAC4 control chondrocyte differentiation and are regulated by Ca2+/calmodulin kinase IV (CaMKIV), p38 MAP kinase, and microRNA-1 respectively at different zone in the growth plate...
- Johnathan D Tune; Fiscal Year: 2016..g. cAMP, PKA, p38 MAPK) and the regulation of myocardial glucose and fatty acid transporters (e.g. GLUT4, FAT/CD36) in lean vs...
- MECHANISMS OF CHONDROPROTECTION BY POMEGRANATE FRUIT EXTRACTTariq M Haqqi; Fiscal Year: 2011..work from this laboratory has shown that PFE exert a potent inhibitory effect on IL-IB-induced activation of p38-MAPK and JNK, NF-kB and expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) by human cartilage explants and chondrocytes ..
- Kenneth R McLeish; Fiscal Year: 2016..Specific Objective 3 will test the working hypothesis that p38 MAPK phosphorylates multiple proteins that mediate events necessary for priming, including exocytosis and Pin1 ..
- INFLAMMATORY RESPONSES IN THE TOXICITY OF RICINBruce Magun; Fiscal Year: 2009..translation, but also the intense and extended activation of the stress-activated protein kinases such as JNK and p38 MAPK...
- Ronglih Liao; Fiscal Year: 2015..and demonstrated that human amyloidogenic LC (AL-LC) provoke a cardiotoxic effects via activation of non-canonical p38 MAPK signaling cascade and subsequently lead to increase cellular oxidant stress, altered calcium homeostasis, ..
- Laura E Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2014..for ethanol-induced sensitization of LPS-stimulated TNF-1 expression, focusing TLR-4-mediated activation of p38 MAPK and regulation of mRNA stability...
- Carol J Homko; Fiscal Year: 2014..IRE-1, the proximal ER stress sensor, which is connected to activation of stress kinases (including JNK and p38 MAPK) which are known to inhibit insulin signaling and stimulate synthesis and release of proinflammatory cytokines...
- Ronald B Myers; Fiscal Year: 2015..use both overexpression and loss of expression and a mutagenesis study to examine the effect of ARRDC3 on cAMP and p38 MAPK signaling in response to [unreadable]3-specific agonist...
- Salman Azhar; Fiscal Year: 2016..and PBR/TSPO;b) cellular antioxidant levels, oxidative damage and antioxidant status;and c) alteration in the ASK1- p38 MAPK signaling cascade...
- ARUN KUMAR RISHI; Fiscal Year: 2016..CFM-4 binds with CARP-1, leads to increased CARP- 1 levels, activates pro-apoptotic p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), caspases-9 and 3, and apoptosis...
- Alcohol-Induced Fatty Liver and Injury in Humanized CYP2E1 Knockin Mice.Arthur I Cederbaum; Fiscal Year: 2011..We propose that oxidants such as peroxynitrite, activation of MAP kinases such as JNK and/or p38 MAPK, a decline in activation of NF-:B and synthesis of survival factors, and mitochondrial dysfunction are ..
- Genetic variation and regulatory networks: Mechanisms and complexityDANA PE ER; Fiscal Year: 2009..These tools will be made publicly available, including a friendly graphical user interface and visualization. ..
- Regulation of airway epithelial repairSteven R White; Fiscal Year: 2010..cytokines activate specific signaling pathways that activate the mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs), such as p38 MARK and JNK, that in turn initiate early steps in the migration of airway epithelial cells to cover damaged ..
- Peter J Hornsby; Fiscal Year: 2014..While stress resistance is complex, there are three key pathways: NF-?B, p38 MAP kinase, and cell thiol metabolism, that have been implicated in the adverse effects of oxidative stress and ..
- NEUROCHEMICAL MECHANISMS OF VISCERAL PAINRichard J Traub; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the same dorsal horn neurons, expression in glial cells, differential activation of MAPK pathways (ERK, p38 MAPK, JNK) in visceral nociceptive processing and the effect of activation of MAPK pathways on the response of the ..
- Fibrosis-Protease Cross-Talk Regulating Pancreatic Cancer InvasionHidayatullah G Munshi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary data also indicate that MT1-MMP increases cyclin D1 expression and enhances p38 MAPK signaling to promote growth in collagen-rich microenvironment...
- Anna Aldovini; Fiscal Year: 2014..b>p38 MAPK, which has been reported to be activated in HIV and SIV infection, is key in the pathway of induction of ISG ..
- Elucidating the Fas-activated inflammation-signaling complex (FISC)Mihail Iordanov; Fiscal Year: 2013..pathways that activate the nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kB), the stress-activated protein kinases (SAPK) JNK and p38 MAP kinase, and the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-Ras-ERK MAP kinase cascade...
- FRANCESCO B RAMIREZ; Fiscal Year: 2014..TGFB activation (Project 2), matrix-Induced perturbations of aorta homeostasis and repair (Project 3), and improper p38 MAPK activity and unbalanced TGFB and BMP signaling in the vascular and skeletal systems, respectively (Project 4)...
- RACHEL HESLER; Fiscal Year: 2015..TGF-? induces p38 MAPK signaling via TRAF6, and our preliminary studies indicate TGF?-p38 MAPK signaling plays an important role in ..
- Thomas J Slaga; Fiscal Year: 2016..including new data added to this application, we have found that UA had inhibitory effects on epidermal Akt, NFkB, p38 MAPK and JNK activation induced by TPA treatment. UA also inhibited TPA-induced epidermal hyperproliferation...
- Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid-1 Sensitization in InflammationJARED MICHAEL SPRAGUE; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will begin with compounds that are known to block important signaling molecules such as PKA, PKC, PI3K, and p38 MAPK with the objective of finding key pathways important for TRPV1 sensitization...
- Lisa J Wood; Fiscal Year: 2015..of ZAK, a MAP3K activated by the chemotherapeutic agent, that prolongs and intensifies the activation of JNK and p38 MAPK and synergizes with NF-kB to amplify the expression of pro-IL-1b...
- Effectiveness of minocycline for reducing symptoms in pancreatic cancer patientsXin Shelley Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..system, which it accomplishes by inhibiting microglial activation and proliferation through inhibition of the p38 MAKP pathway...
- Transcription & Function of Adipocyte Beta3AR in ObesitySheila Collins; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aims proposed: (1) to characterize the signal transduction pathway linking the betaARs in adipocytes to the p38 MAP kinase; to test the hypothesis that Rac1/Cdc42 and the MLKs are activated by PKA and, in turn, directly activate MKK3/..
- Role of p38 MAPK in IL-4-induced IL-6 expression in vascular endotheliumYongwoo Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..the proposed project, we hypothesize that IL-4 may induce inflammatory pathways in vascular endothelium through the p38 MAPK-mediated up-regulation of IL-6 expression...
- Novel Bioactive Lipid Receptors in Growth RegulationYan Xu; Fiscal Year: 2005..We hypothesize that p38 MAP kinase plays a critical role in mediating the growth inhibitory effect of SPC...
- Macrophage Foam Cells, Cathepsins and Cholesterol EffluxALAN RICHARD TALL; Fiscal Year: 2010..by binding of RANK ligand to RANK (Receptor Activator of NFkB) on macrophages and requiring activation of p38 MAP kinase. In Aim1 we will further define the relationship between different endosomal cholesterol pools, induction of ..
- ERYTHROPOIETIN AND THE REGULATION OF ERYTHROPOIESISSanford Krantz; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, withdrawal of EPO activates the Jun N-terminal kinases (JNKs) and p38 MAP kinase which also produce apoptosis...