Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ODC1
Description: ornithine decarboxylase 1
Alias: ODC, ornithine decarboxylase
Publications257 found, 100 shown here
- Deletion mapping of the mouse ornithine decarboxylase-related locus Odc-rs8 within Igh-VB A Richards-Smith
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263
Mamm Genome 3:568-74. 1992The Odc-rs8 locus belongs to a family of mouse DNA sequences related to the gene encoding ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Regulation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae ornithine decarboxylase expression in response to polyamineW A Fonzi
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, California 92717
J Biol Chem 264:18110-8. 1989The mechanism of yeast ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) regulation in response to polyamines was examined. ODC catalyzes the first step of polyamine biosynthesis, the conversion of ornithine to putrescine...
- Genetic variation in androgen regulation of ornithine decarboxylase gene expression in inbred strains of miceE Melanitou
Population Council, New York, New York 10021
Mol Endocrinol 1:266-73. 1987..In the present work, the expression of renal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene(s) was used as a biological marker to study androgen responsiveness of eight inbred strains of ..
- Intersubunit location of the active site of mammalian ornithine decarboxylase as determined by hybridization of site-directed mutantsK E Tobias
Department of Molecular Genetics and Virology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Biochemistry 32:5842-7. 1993The active form of mammalian ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a homodimer consisting of two monomer subunits of 53 kDa each...
- In the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum, polyamines are synthesized by a bifunctional ornithine decarboxylase, S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylaseS Muller
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Biochemical Parasitology, Bernhard Nocht Str 74, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 275:8097-102. 2000..Interference with polyamine biosynthesis by inhibition of the rate-limiting enzymes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) has been discussed as a potential chemotherapy of ..
- Crystal structure of human ornithine decarboxylase at 2.1 A resolution: structural insights to antizyme bindingJ J Almrud
Department of Chemistry, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 78712, USA
J Mol Biol 295:7-16. 2000..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC, EC 4.1.1...
- Pronounced reduction in adenoma recurrence associated with aspirin use and a polymorphism in the ornithine decarboxylase geneMaria Elena Martinez
Arizona Cancer Center, Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:7859-64. 2003..APC influences the expression of several genes, including the c-myc oncogene and its antagonist Mad1. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in polyamine synthesis, is a transcriptional target of c-myc and a modifier of ..
- Regulation of ornithine decarboxylaseAnthony E Pegg
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 281:14529-32. 2006b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) initiates the polyamine biosynthetic pathway. The amount of ODC is altered in response to many growth factors, oncogenes, and tumor promoters and to changes in polyamine levels...
- ODC1 is a critical determinant of MYCN oncogenesis and a therapeutic target in neuroblastomaMichael D Hogarty
Division of Oncology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4318, USA
Cancer Res 68:9735-45. 2008..to show that MYCN-amplified neuroblastomas have coordinately deregulated myriad polyamine enzymes (including ODC1, SRM, SMS, AMD1, OAZ2, and SMOX) to enhance polyamine biosynthesis...
- Brain neurons express ornithine decarboxylase-activating antizyme inhibitor 2 with accumulation in Alzheimer's diseaseLaura T Mäkitie
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Brain Pathol 20:571-80. 2010..Antizyme inhibitors (AZINs) regulate the cellular uptake of polyamines and activate ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate-limiting enzyme of polyamine synthesis...
- Functional regions of ornithine decarboxylase antizymeT Ichiba
Department of Nutrition, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 200:1721-7. 1994Degradation of ornithine decarboxylase, a key enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, is accelerated by the binding of antizyme, an ornithine decarboxylase inhibitory protein induced by polyamines...
- Increasing ornithine decarboxylase activity is another way of prolactin preventing methotrexate-induced apoptosis: crosstalk between ODC and BCL-2P C Hsu
Department of Medicine, Da Chien General Hospital, Miao Li, Taiwan, ROC
Apoptosis 11:389-99. 2006..studies, prolactin induced Bcl-2 expression to prevent apoptosis and also provoked the activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Structural elements of antizymes 1 and 2 are required for proteasomal degradation of ornithine decarboxylaseHui Chen
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0414, USA
J Biol Chem 277:45957-61. 2002..in a degradation system utilizing rabbit reticulocyte lysate, antizyme 1 (AZ1) accelerates proteasomal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) degradation, but antizyme 2 (AZ2) does not...
- [Polyamines and cardiovascular hypertrophy in experimental hypertension]C Mathy
, , Belgique
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 80:777-82. 1987..b>Ornithine Decarboxylase (ODC) catalyses the first and probably the rate limiting step in the biosynthesis of the polyamines...
- [Effect of long-term administration of vasodilators and "antitrophic" agents on the structure and function of the heart in hypertensive rats]P Carlier
Laboratoire d'hypertension, , Belgique
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 83:1135-9. 1990..7 g/kg, n = 20). After 21 days of treatment, the animals were sacrificed. In a small number of hearts, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity was assayed in order to verify that dfmo, which is a suicide inhibitor of ODC, had ..
- Modified responses to PGE2 in polyamine biosynthesis by T lymphocytes of gastric- and conjunctiva basal cell-carcinoma patientsI Venza
Department of Experimental Phatology and Microbiology, University of Messina, Medical School, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 23:541-54. 2001..The present work aims to detect the basal and PGE2 induced concentrations of these polyamines and cAMP, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), spermine N1-acetyltransferase (SAT) activities of T lymphocytes drawn from patients suffering from ..
- Polyamine metabolism in prostaglandin E2-treated human T lymphocytesP Ruggeri
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Messina, Medical School, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 22:117-29. 2000..Preincubation of T lymphocytes with PGE2 (10(-6) M) for 10 min was able to increase ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and putrescine as well as spermine levels, while spermidine concentration was drastically ..
- Dose-dependent amplification by L-ascorbic acid of NaHCO3 promotion of rat urinary bladder carcinogenesisH Iwata
First Department of Pathology, Osaka City University Medical School, Japan
Toxicol Pathol 25:284-90. 1997..Elevation of urinary bladder epithelium AsA content, as well as urinary AsA, was also noted. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and ODC messenger RNA levels in urinary bladder epithelium of rats treated with 1...
- Saponin effects of prolactin-like stimulation of ornithine decarboxylase activity in mouse mammary gland explantsP B Koduri
Department of Physiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan
Horm Metab Res 24:562-4. 1992Saponin, a naturally occurring plant glycoside, was found to elicit a prolactin-like stimulation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity in mouse mammary gland explants...
- Concurrent overexpression of ornithine decarboxylase and spermidine/spermine N(1)-acetyltransferase further accelerates the catabolism of hepatic polyamines in transgenic miceS Suppola
A I Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Biochem J 358:343-8. 2001We have generated a hybrid transgenic mouse line overexpressing both ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and spermidine/spermine N(1)-acetyltransferase (SSAT) under the control of the mouse metallothionein (MT) I promoter...
- Characterization of the Entamoeba histolytica ornithine decarboxylase-like enzymeAnupam Jhingran
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e115. 2008..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first and rate-limiting enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway, is a highly regulated ..
- Thirty years of polyamine-related approaches to cancer therapy. Retrospect and prospect. Part 1. Selective enzyme inhibitorsNikolaus Seiler
Laboratory of Nutritional Oncology, INSERM U 392, Institut de Recherche contre les Cancers de l Appareil Digestif, 1, Place de l Hopital, B P 426, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Curr Drug Targets 4:537-64. 2003..The high activities of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) in rapidly growing tissues and cells, ..
- L-ornithine decarboxylase from Hafnia alvei has a novel L-ornithine oxidase activityK Sakai
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Oita University
J Biochem 122:961-8. 1997..presence of NAD(P)+ was found in the crude extract of L-ornithine-induced Hafnia alvei, in addition to L-ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity...
- Glucocorticoids have opposite effects on ornithine decarboxylase and cell growth in pancreatic acinar AR42J cellsC D Logsdon
Department of Physiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Yale J Biol Med 65:449-56; discussion 465-9. 1992..First, to confirm that AR42J cells required polyamines for growth we examined the effects of inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase (ODC). ODC is the most important and generally rate-limiting enzyme in the synthesis of the polyamines...
- Colonic ornithine decarboxylase in inflammatory bowel disease: ileorectal activity gradient, guanosine triphosphate stimulation, and association with epithelial regeneration but not the degree of inflammation and clinical featuresHubert Allgayer
Department of Gastroenterology and Metabolism, Rehaklinik Ob der Tauber, Bad Mergentheim, Academic Teaching Hospital, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Dig Dis Sci 52:25-30. 2007The role of colonic mucosal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) remains controversial...
- Polyamines regulate both transcription and translation of the gene encoding ornithine decarboxylase antizyme in mouseJ Nilsson
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology, Umea University, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 250:223-31. 1997The degradation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is mediated by antizyme, a protein regulated by the end-products of ODC activity, the polyamines...
- Altering the reaction specificity of eukaryotic ornithine decarboxylaseL K Jackson
Department of Pharmacology and Department of Biochemistry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9041, USA
Biochemistry 39:11247-57. 2000b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) catalyzes the first committed step in the biosynthesis of polyamines, and it has been identified as a drug target for the treatment of African sleeping sickness, caused by Trypanosoma brucei...
- Antizyme inhibitor is rapidly induced in growth-stimulated mouse fibroblasts and releases ornithine decarboxylase from antizyme suppressionJ Nilsson
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Division of Physiology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biochem J 346:699-704. 2000b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) catalyses the first step in the synthesis of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine and spermine...
- Growth-inhibitory effects of the chemopreventive agent indole-3-carbinol are increased in combination with the polyamine putrescine in the SW480 colon tumour cell lineE Ann Hudson
Cancer Biomarkers and Prevention Group, Departments of Biochemistry and Oncology, University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
BMC Cancer 3:2. 2003Many tumours undergo disregulation of polyamine homeostasis and upregulation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity, which can promote carcinogenesis...
- Ornithine decarboxylase expression in cutaneous papillomas in SENCAR mice is associated with altered expression of keratins 1 and 10J P Sundberg
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Cancer Res 54:1344-51. 1994The patterns of expression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and a number of keratinocyte differentiation products were examined in early papillomas by immunocytochemistry as an initial effort to develop phenotypic markers of the early ..
- Regulation of ornithine decarboxylase in the kidney of autoimmune mice with the lpr geneH C Hsu
Program in Clinical Pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick 08903, USA
Autoimmunity 19:253-64. 1994..Upregulation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and polyamine levels have been observed in the kidney and lymphoid organs of this strain...
- Tissue-based assay for ornithine decarboxylase to identify patients likely to respond to difluoromethylornithineVictor A Levin
Dept of Neuro Oncology, Unit 431, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 52:1467-74. 2004..We believe that treatment outcome (survival) is inversely related to tumor ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) levels...
- RNA interference-mediated silencing of ornithine decarboxylase and spermidine synthase genes in Trypanosoma brucei provides insight into regulation of polyamine biosynthesisYanjing Xiao
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9041, USA
Eukaryot Cell 8:747-55. 2009..decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) led to the upregulation of the AdoMetDC activator, prozyme, and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) proteins...
- Quantification and localization of ornithine decarboxylase in the embryonic palateK J Gawel-Thompson
Department of Anatomy, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107
J Exp Zool 261:441-50. 1992b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC; EC4.1.1...
- Interaction of asparagine and EGF in the regulation of ornithine decarboxylase in IEC-6 cellsR M Ray
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Tennessee, Memphis, College of Medicine, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Am J Physiol 276:G773-80. 1999Our laboratory has shown that asparagine (ASN) stimulates both ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and gene expression in an intestinal epithelial cell line (IEC-6)...
- Effect of parathyroid hormone related protein, and dihydrotestosterone on proliferation and ornithine decarboxylase mRNA in human prostate cancer cell linesF Asadi
Department of Medicine, VA West Side Medical Center and University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, USA
Int Urol Nephrol 33:417-22. 2001..Other studies have indicated that PTHrP behaves as an early response gene, which stimulates ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) enzyme activity, an enzyme, involved in the biosynthesis of polyamines...
- Testosterone down-regulates ornithine aminotransferase gene and up-regulates arginase II and ornithine decarboxylase genes for polyamines synthesis in the murine kidneyOlivier Levillain
Universite Claude Bernard, Faculté de Médecine Lyon RTH Laënnec, U 499 Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, 7, Rue G Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Endocrinology 146:950-9. 2005The enzymes ornithine aminotransferase (OAT) and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) share L-ornithine as a common substrate and arginase II produces this amino acid...
- Regulatory effects of corticosterone on ornithine decarboxylase activity during liver regeneration in ratsQianji Ning
College of Life Science, Henan Normal University, Xinxiang, Henan Province, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1978-82. 2007The regulation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene expression and enzyme activity by corticosterone during rat liver regeneration induced by partial hepatectomy (PH) was evaluated.
- Ornithine decarboxylase prevents tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced apoptosis by decreasing intracellular reactive oxygen speciesG Y Liu
Institute of Immunology, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Apoptosis 10:569-81. 2005b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) plays an essential role in various biological functions, including cell proliferation, differentiation and cell death. However, how it prevents the cell apoptotic mechanism is still unclear...
- Effect of diethyl maleate on hepatic ornithine decarboxylaseT Yoshida
Department of Biochemical Toxicology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Showa University, Tokyo, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 92:194-202. 1988..Diethyl maleate (DEM), a well-known glutathione (GSH) depletor, causes a dose-dependent increase in hepatic ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity as well as heme oxygenase activity in rats...
- Overexpression of antizyme in the hearts of transgenic mice prevents the isoprenaline-induced increase in cardiac ornithine decarboxylase activity and polyamines, but does not prevent cardiac hypertrophyC A Mackintosh
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology H166, Room C4737, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, P O Box 850, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Biochem J 350:645-53. 2000..is thought to be a major factor in regulating cellular polyamine content, acting both to inhibit ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and to target it for degradation, as well as preventing polyamine uptake...
- Protein kinase C-mediated in vitro invasion of human glioma cells through extracellular-signal-regulated kinase and ornithine decarboxylaseA B da Rocha
South American Office for Anticancer Drug Development SOAD, Lutheran University of Brazil, Canoas, Brazil
Pathobiology 68:113-23. 2000..in the in vitro invasiveness of the A-172, U-87 and U-373 human glioma cell lines, as well as the role of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and/or extracellular-signal-regulated kinase (ERK) in the actions of PKC...
- Ornithine decarboxylase mRNA expression in curatively resected non-small-cell lung cancerPeter P Grimminger
Department of General, Visceral and Cancer Surgery, University of Cologne, Germany
Clin Lung Cancer 11:114-9. 2010The effect of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) on the pathogenesis of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) remains poorly investigated...
- Ornithine decarboxylase activity in in vivo and in vitro models of cerebral ischemiaG Nagesh Babu
Department of Neurology, SGPG Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, UP, 226014, India
Neurochem Res 28:1851-7. 2003b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is considered the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, and an increase in putrescine after central nervous system (CNS) injury appears to be involved in neuronal death...
- Ornithine decarboxylase along the mouse and rat nephronO Levillain
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Métabolique et Rénale, Faculté de Médecine Lyon, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, Lyon, France
Am J Physiol 274:F1020-8. 1998Renal arginase activity is a potent source of ornithine (Orn) for polyamine synthesis. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) was localized along the mouse and rat nephron by incubating viable nephron segments isolated by microdissection from ..
- Conversion of C57Bl/6 mice from a tumor promotion-resistant to a -sensitive phenotype by enhanced ornithine decarboxylase expressionY Guo
The Lankenau Medical Research Center, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania 19096, USA
Mol Carcinog 26:32-6. 1999A transgenic mouse model was developed in which ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) can be overexpressed in a tissue-specific and regulated manner...
- Select nutrients in the ovine uterine lumen. V. Nitric oxide synthase, GTP cyclohydrolase, and ornithine decarboxylase in ovine uteri and peri-implantation conceptusesHaijun Gao
Center for Animal Biotechnology and Genomics, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 2471, USA
Biol Reprod 81:67-76. 2009..GCH1, the key enzyme in de novo synthesis of tetrahydrobiopterin, a cofactor for NO production), and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC1) in uterine endometria in cyclic ewes (Days 10-16) and pregnant ewes (Days 10-20)...
- Origin of the putrescine-producing ability of the coagulase-negative bacterium Staphylococcus epidermidis 2015BEmmanuel Coton
Adria Normandie, Boulevard du 13 Juin 1944, Villers Bocage, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:5570-6. 2010..at the detection of genes associated with biogenic amine production, identified the odc gene encoding ornithine decarboxylase in 1 of 15 strains of Staphylococcus epidermidis. The ability of the positive strain, S...
- Isolation and characterization of the mouse ornithine decarboxylase geneA Katz
Department of Virology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
J Biol Chem 263:7604-9. 1988Mouse ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) genomic clones were isolated from a bacteriophage lambda genomic library representing mouse myeloma 653-1 cells which over-produce ODC due to amplification of an active ODC gene...
- Early carbonic anhydrase induction in the gills of the blue crab, Callinectes sapidus, during low salinity acclimation is independent of ornithine decarboxylase activityR P Henry
Department of Biological Sciences, and the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama 36849 5414 USA
J Exp Zool 289:350-8. 2001..Simultaneous measurements of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity were made in gills and nonbranchial tissues to determine whether ODC activity and the ..
- Targeted overexpression of ornithine decarboxylase enhances beta-adrenergic agonist-induced cardiac hypertrophyL M Shantz
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology H166, P O Box 850, The Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Biochem J 358:25-32. 2001These studies were designed to determine the consequences of constitutive overexpression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in the heart. Induction of ODC is known to occur in response to agents that induce cardiac hypertrophy...
- Influence of ovarian ornithine decarboxylase in folliculogenesis and luteinizationCarmen M Bastida
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Campus de Espinardo, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Endocrinology 146:666-74. 2005LH plays a relevant role in folliculogenesis, ovulation, and luteinization. Although ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, is a target of LH in the ovary, the functional significance of ODC induction has ..
- Ornithine decarboxylase-1 polymorphism, chemoprevention with eflornithine and sulindac, and outcomes among colorectal adenoma patientsJason A Zell
Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:1513-6. 2010The ornithine decarboxylase-1 (ODC1) polymorphism at position +316 affects binding by transcriptional activators and repressors and modulates the risk of metachronous colorectal adenomas, particularly in association with aspirin use...
- Androgen-regulation of ornithine decarboxylase and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase genesO A Janne
Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 40:307-15. 1991b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) are two key enzymes in polyamine biosynthesis...
- Sexual dimorphism of ornithine decarboxylase in the mouse adrenal: influence of polyamine deprivation on catecholamine and corticoid levelsCarmen M Bastida
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E1010-7. 2007..marked sexual dimorphism affecting not only gland size and corticoid hormone secretion but also adrenal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), polyamine, and catecholamine levels in which testosterone appears to be a major determinant...
- Co-operation between follicular ornithine decarboxylase and v-Ha-ras induces spontaneous papillomas and malignant conversion in transgenic skinM K Smith
Lankenau Medical Research Center, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
Carcinogenesis 19:1409-15. 1998b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is aberrantly regulated in tumor cells and results in high basal levels of ODC and polyamines in many epithelial tumors...
- Ornithine decarboxylase in colonic mucosa from patients with moderate or severe Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitisG Ricci
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Postgraduate School of Gastroenterology, University of Ferrara, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:903-4. 1999Polyamines, as well as ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the enzyme involved in their synthesis, were reported to be closely related to cell proliferation...
- Gut-enriched Kruppel-like factor represses ornithine decarboxylase gene expression and functions as checkpoint regulator in colonic cancer cellsZhi Y Chen
Section of Gastroenterology, Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System and Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 277:46831-9. 2002..of GKLF mRNA and protein expression by interferon-gamma treatment was associated with reduction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene expression and enzyme activity in colon cancer HT-29 cells...
- Studies of growth regulation in a neuroendocrine cell lineC M Townsend
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555
Acta Oncol 32:125-30. 1993..Other peptide growth factors had no effect on either growth or serotonin release. Serotonin stimulated ODC enzyme activity, but TGF-beta 1 failed to affect ODC enzyme activity...
- Ornithine decarboxylase, kidney size, and the tubular hypothesis of glomerular hyperfiltration in experimental diabetesS C Thomson
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology Hypertension, University of California at San Diego and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, California 92161 9151, USA
J Clin Invest 107:217-24. 2001..This growth is linked to ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Analysis of the transcriptional regulation of YlODC gene from the dimorphic fungus Yarrowia lipolyticaJuan Francisco Jiménez-Bremont
División de Biologia Molecular, Instituto Potosino de Investigacion Cientifica y Tecnologica, Camino a la Presa de San José 2055, Apartado Postal 3 74 Tangamanga, 78210 San Luis Potosi, SLP, Mexico
Microbiol Res 163:717-23. 2008Polyamines are small polycations essential for cell growth. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme of the polyamine synthesis pathway, is one of the most regulated enzymes of eukaryotes...
- [Analysis of oncogenic signaling pathway induced by a myeloproliferative neoplasm-associated Janus kinase 2 (JAK2) V617F mutant]Megumi Funakoshi-Tago
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 132:1267-72. 2012..we detected the significant induction of target genes of c-Myc such as Aurora kinase A (Aurka) and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Identification of ocular dominance domains in New World owl monkeys by immediate-early gene expressionToru Takahata
Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37240
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:4297-302. 2014..of macaques, as well defined arrays of columnar structure that receive inputs from one eye or the other, whereas ODC expression seems more obscure in some New World primate species...
- Sensory afferent segregation in three-eared frogs resemble the dominance columns observed in three-eyed frogsKaren L Elliott
Department of Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Sci Rep 5:8338. 2015..Activity-based competition is believed to drive ocular dominance columns (ODC) in mammals and in experimentally-generated three-eyed frogs...
- Fine-structure mapping of the complex locus Odc-rs5 relative to Igk and distal lociB A Richards-Smith
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263
Mamm Genome 3:689-99. 1992..mouse Chromosome (Chr) 6 and comprising at least five copies of a sequence related to the mRNA encoding ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in the genomes of mice of some inbred strains and at least seven copies in others (Richards-Smith ..
- Effect of estradiol on the activities of ornithine decarboxylase and S-adenosyl-methionine decarboxylase in tissues of ovariectomized ratsL Y Wing
Department of Physiology, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan, Taiwan
Chin J Physiol 31:95-103. 1988Polyamines play an important role in cellular growth and differentiation. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosyl-methionine decarboxylase (SAMD) catalyze the rate-limiting steps of polyamine formation...
- Chromosomal assignment of 11 loci in the rat by mouse-rat somatic hybrids and linkageA Y Deng
Department of Physiology and Molecular Medicine, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo 43699 0008
Mamm Genome 5:712-6. 1994..The ornithine decarboxylase (Odc) gene and ornithine decarboxylase pseudogene (Odcp) were localized to Chrs 6 and 11 respectively.
- Reduction of ornithine decarboxylase antizyme (ODC-Az) level in the 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis modelT Tsuji
Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Oncogene 16:3379-85. 1998b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity is elevated in and necessary for oral carcinogenesis, but the mechanism for its deregulation is unclear...
- Involvement of c-myc and max in CNS beta-endorphin modulation of hepatic ornithine decarboxylase responsiveness to insulin in rat pupsJ V Bartolome
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Life Sci 64:PL87-91. 1999Previously, we have shown that subcutaneous administration of insulin stimulates ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) mRNA expression and enzymatic activity in the liver of infant control rats, but not in those pretreated ..
- ZBP-99 defines a conserved family of transcription factors and regulates ornithine decarboxylase gene expressionD J Law
Department of Internal Medicine, Department of Physiology, University of Michigan, Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0650, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 262:113-20. 1999Among transcription factors that regulate ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene expression are those that interact with GC-rich promoters, including Sp1 and ZBP-89...
- ATP-Dependent inactivation and sequestration of ornithine decarboxylase by the 26S proteasome are prerequisites for degradationY Murakami
Department of Biochemistry 2, Jikei University School of Medicine, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8461, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 19:7216-27. 1999..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the only known enzyme to be degraded by the 26S proteasome without ubiquitinylation...
- Hybrid proteasomes. Induction by interferon-gamma and contribution to ATP-dependent proteolysisN Tanahashi
Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science and Core Rsearch for Evolutional Science and Technology, Japan Science and Technology Corporation, 3 18 22 Honkomagome, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8613, Japan
J Biol Chem 275:14336-45. 2000..Hybrid proteasomes catalyzed ATP-dependent degradation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) without ubiquitinylation, as do 26 S proteasomes...
- K6/ODC transgenic mice as a sensitive model for carcinogen identificationY Chen
ODC Mouse Group Inc, Drexel Hill, PA 19026, USA
Toxicol Lett 116:27-35. 2000b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), an important enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway, is aberrantly regulated in many epithelial tumors of rodents and humans...
- Identification of the human mitochondrial oxodicarboxylate carrier. Bacterial expression, reconstitution, functional characterization, tissue distribution, and chromosomal locationG Fiermonte
Department of Pharmaco Biology, Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Bari, Via E Orabona 4, 70125 Bari, Italy
J Biol Chem 276:8225-30. 2001In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the genes ODC1 and ODC2 encode isoforms of the oxodicarboxylate carrier...
- Ornithine decarboxylase and thymidine kinase activities and polyamine levels from selected organs of adult miniature swine receiving three concentrations of dietary menhaden oilD W Gaines
Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, 8301 Muirkirk Road, Laurel, MD 20708 2476, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 39:1109-17. 2001..6-month feeding period and portions of liver, pancreas and colon mucosa were analyzed for both ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and thymidine kinase (TK) activity while polyamine levels were measured in the liver and pancreas...
- Peripheral blood leucocytes ornithine decarboxylase activity in chronic myeloid leukemia patients: prognostic and therapeutic implicationsAnil K Tripathi
Hemato Oncology Unit, Department of Medicine, K G s Medical College, Lucknow, India
Leuk Res 26:349-54. 2002Leukocytes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity was measured in normal individuals and in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) in chronic phase (CML-CP) as well as in accelerated phase (CML-AP), with an aim to examine the role ..
- Expression of intestinal ornithine decarboxylase during postnatal development in neonatal ratsChuan Hao Lin
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Wayne State University and Children s Hospital of Michigan, 3901 Beaubien Blvd, Detroit 48201, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1589:298-304. 2002b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) has been shown to play an essential role in intestinal growth and maturation in rats. However, the regulatory mechanisms have not been fully elucidated...
- Yeast mitochondrial oxodicarboxylate transporters are important for growth on oleic acidAnne S Tibbetts
Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 406:96-104. 2002The yeast genes ODC1 and ODC2 encode members of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae family of mitochondrial transport proteins that transport oxodicarboxylates...
- Hepatocyte growth factor induces apoptosis through the extrinsic pathway in hepatoma cells: favouring role of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 deficiencyEmanuela Matteucci
Institute of General Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Milano, Via L Mangiagalli, 31 20133 Milano, Italy
Oncogene 22:4062-73. 2003..the mechanisms of this different sensitivity, we examined a panel of genes involved in apoptosis: ornithine decarboxylase, c-Myc and p53 protein levels progressively decreased while JNK1, caspase 8 and 3 activities persistently ..
- Mnt loss triggers Myc transcription targets, proliferation, apoptosis, and transformationJonas A Nilsson
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:1560-9. 2004..This complex induces genes containing CACGTG E-boxes, such as Ornithine decarboxylase (Odc), which harbors two of these elements...
- Ornithine decarboxylase, polyamines and CD11b expression in HL-60 cells during differentiation induced by retinoic acidGiordano Stabellini
Human Morphology Department, LITA of Segrate, State University of Milan, Via Mangiagalli 31, 20133, Italy
Biomed Pharmacother 58:401-6. 2004..In this study we investigate the effects of retinoic acid on HL-60 cells, monitoring ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity (enzyme rate of PA), putrescine (PUT), spermidine (SPD), spermine (SPM) levels, CD11b ..
- Inhibitory effect of celery seeds extract on chemically induced hepatocarcinogenesis: modulation of cell proliferation, metabolism and altered hepatic foci developmentSarwat Sultana
Section of Chemoprevention and Nutrition Toxicology, Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology, Faculty of Science, Jamia Hamdard Hamdard University, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi 110062, India
Cancer Lett 221:11-20. 2005..001). 2-AAF administration in diet with PH in rats resulted in increased hepatic ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and a consequent increase in the rate of DNA synthesis when compared to saline treated ..
- The ornithine decarboxylase gene of Trypanosoma brucei: Evidence for horizontal gene transfer from a vertebrate sourceCarolyn Steglich
Department of Biology, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057, USA
Infect Genet Evol 6:205-19. 2006..Ornithine decarboxlyase (ODC), a protein at the core of polyamine metabolism, is a potential target for therapies to overcome these diseases...
- Antizyme inhibitor: mysterious modulator of cell proliferationU Mangold
Program in Vascular Biology, Children s Hospital, Karp Family Building, 1 Blackfan Circle, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:2095-101. 2006In contrast to the considerable interest in the oncogene ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and in the family of antizymes with regard to cell proliferation and tumorigenesis, the endogenous antizyme inhibitor (AZI) has been less well studied...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase gene expressions are significantly correlated in human colorectal cancerMichele Linsalata
Laboratory of Biochemistry, National Institute for Digestive Diseases, I R C C S Saverio de Bellis via Della Resistenza, 70013 Castellana Grotte BA, Italy
BMC Cancer 6:191. 2006..Spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase (SSAT) and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) are key enzymes involved in the metabolism of polyamines, compounds that play an important role in ..
- Antileishmanial effect of 3-aminooxy-1-aminopropane is due to polyamine depletionSushma Singh
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110067, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:528-34. 2007..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first and rate-limiting enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway, catalyzes the conversion ..
- Single-injection ornithine decarboxylase-directed antisense therapy using atelocollagen to suppress human cancer growthKunihiko Nakazawa
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer 109:993-1002. 2007Substantial evidence supports a direct role of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in the development and maintenance of human tumors...
- Revival of 2-(difluoromethyl)ornithine (DFMO), an inhibitor of polyamine biosynthesis, as a cancer chemopreventive agentF Raul
INSERM U682, University Louis Pasteur EA 3430, Laboratory of Nutritional Cancer Prevention, IRCAD, 1 Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Biochem Soc Trans 35:353-5. 2007ODC (ornithine decarboxylase), a key enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis, is an inducible enzyme exhibiting high activity in tumour cells, suggesting ODC as a target for antineoplastic therapy...
- Ubiquitin dependent and independent protein degradation in the regulation of cellular polyaminesC Kahana
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Amino Acids 33:225-30. 2007..There are few reports of proteins degraded by the 26S protesome without ubiquitination, with ornithine decarboxylase being the most notable representative of this group...
- Polyamines regulate the stability of activating transcription factor-2 mRNA through RNA-binding protein HuR in intestinal epithelial cellsLan Xiao
Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Mol Biol Cell 18:4579-90. 2007..Decreasing cellular polyamines by inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) with alpha-difluoromethylornithine increased the levels of ATF-2 mRNA and protein, whereas ..
- Novel agmatine analogue, gamma-guanidinooxypropylamine (GAPA) efficiently inhibits proliferation of Leishmania donovani by depletion of intracellular polyamine levelsSushma Singh
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi 110067, India
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 375:168-72. 2008..Wild-type and ornithine decarboxylase-overexpressors of L. donovani were used to study the effect and mode of action of this inhibitor...
- The change of antizyme inhibitor expression and its possible role during mammalian cell cycleYasuko Murakami
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Musashino University, 1 1 20 Shinmachi, Nishi Tokyo, Tokyo 202 8585, Japan
Exp Cell Res 315:2301-11. 2009Antizyme inhibitor (AIn), a homolog of ODC, binds to antizyme and inactivates it. We report here that AIn increased at the G1 phase of the cell cycle, preceding the peak of ODC activity in HTC cells in culture...
- Treatment of prostate cancer cells with adenoviral vector-mediated antisense RNA using androgen-dependent and androgen-independent promotersWei Li
Biomedical Engineering Institution, School of Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong 250061, China
Med Oncol 27:519-30. 2010The present study was designed to develop a novel antisense approach to prostate cancer therapy. We constructed ODC/AdoMetDC double antisense RNA recombinant adenovirus mediated by a prostate-specific androgen-dependent promoter (pADxsi-..
- Polyamine homoeostasisLo Persson
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Essays Biochem 46:11-24. 2009..The two key enzymes in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway, ODC (ornithine decarboxylase) and AdoMetDC (S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase), are strongly regulated by feedback mechanisms at ..
- Ornithine decarboxylase antizyme inhibitor 2 regulates intracellular vesicle traffickingKristiina Kanerva
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Exp Cell Res 316:1896-906. 2010Antizyme inhibitor 1 (AZIN1) and 2 (AZIN2) are proteins that activate ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the key enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis...
- Oral feeding of pomegranate fruit extract inhibits early biomarkers of UVB radiation-induced carcinogenesis in SKH-1 hairless mouse epidermisFarrukh Afaq
Department of Dermatology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Photochem Photobiol 86:1318-26. 2010..3) infiltration of leukocytes; (4) lipid peroxidation; (5) hydrogen peroxide generation; (6) ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity; and (7) ODC, cyclooxygenase-2 and proliferating cell nuclear antigen protein expression...
- High-altitude diving in river otters: coping with combined hypoxic stressesJamie R Crait
Department of Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
J Exp Biol 215:256-63. 2012..Comparisons of oxygen dissociation curves (ODC) revealed no significant difference in hemoglobin-oxygen (Hb-O(2)) binding affinity between the two populations - ..
- Elevated ornithine decarboxylase activity promotes skin tumorigenesis by stimulating the recruitment of bulge stem cells but not via toxic polyamine catabolic metabolitesCandace S Hayes
Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, 100 Lancaster Avenue, Wynnewood, PA, 19096, USA
Amino Acids 46:543-52. 2014Elevated expression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the regulatory enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, targeted to the epidermis is sufficient to promote skin tumor development following a single subthreshold dose of dimethylbenz(a)..
- Oxalate-metabolising genes of the white-rot fungus Dichomitus squalens are differentially induced on wood and at high proton concentrationMiia R Mäkelä
Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, Division of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter 1, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS ONE 9:e87959. 2014..Sequential action of ODC and FDH encoding genes was detected in the studied cultivations. The odc1, fdh2 and fdh3 genes of D...
- A quantitative proteomic screen to identify potential drug resistance mechanism in α-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO) resistant Leishmania donovaniAlok Kumar Singh
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
J Proteomics 102:44-59. 2014..donovani is sensitive to growth inhibition by dl-α-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme of the polyamine biosynthetic pathway...
- Rational design of ornithine decarboxylase with high catalytic activity for the production of putrescineHyang Choi
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, 305 701, Korea
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 98:7483-90. 2014..concerns, the microbial production of putrescine has attracted a great deal of attention, and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is known to be a key enzyme in the biosynthetic pathway...
- David J Feith; Fiscal Year: 2015DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Elevated cellular polyamine levels and increased activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, are hallmarks of tumor development in epithelial tissues...
- Risk reduction through polyamine inhibition among colorectal carcinoma patientsJASON ZELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..to arginine and polyamine metabolism among CRC cases through analysis of the polyamine-regulatory genes ornithine decarboxylase-1(Odc1, involved in polyamine synthesis) and spermidine spermine acetyltransferase (Ssat, involved in ..
- ROLE OF POLYAMINES IN POSTNATAL COCHLEAR DEVELOPMENTCharles Henley; Fiscal Year: 1993..The proposed research will test the hypothesis that the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)-polyamine system plays a crucial role in cochlear development and that inhibition of the ODS-..
- Margaret A Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2016..The polyamine biosynthetic enzymes, including ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) are essential to the parasite and have been the ..
- Keith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2014..H. pylori induces ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate limiting enzyme for polyamine synthesis, in macrophages...
- Margaret A Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2014..The polyamine biosynthetic enzymes, including ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) are essential to the parasite...
- Keith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2016..and arginase II (Arg2) that generate L-ornithine, which is the substrate for polyamine synthesis by ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- DIET METHIONINE--S-ADO, POLYAMINES AND MAMMARY TUMORSERVIN HAWRYLEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 1993..Induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and increased polyamine synthesis (putrescine, spermidine and spermine) is associated with ..
- Keith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2016..utilization of L-Arg by arginase that generates L-ornithine (L-Orn), which can be metabolized by either ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) to generate polyamines, or ornithine aminotransferase (OAT) to generate L-proline (L-Pro)...
- Epidermal stem cell properties in mice with altered polyaminesLisa M Shantz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our previous work demonstrates that the polyamine metabolizing enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is downstream of MEK, and induction of ODC activity is necessary for skin tumor development...
- Mohammad Athar; Fiscal Year: 2015..Solar ultraviolet B (UVB) induces the expression and activities of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2)...
- TAS::75 0849::TASWenlin Deng; Fiscal Year: 2011..that polyamine inhibition by a-difluoromethylornithine orDFMO, a selective and irreversible inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC, the primary rate-limiting enzyme in the production of polyamines) significantly protects the ..
- Chinthalapally V Rao; Fiscal Year: 2014..Colon tumor cells produce high levels of polyamines endogenously through the activation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- POLYAMINES AND MONOCROTALINE PNEUMOTOXICITY (AHR-F1)JACK OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1999..The proposed research addresses the applicant's working hypothesis that ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) regulation is a central convergence point for the multiple signaling pathways driving vascular ..
- EFFECTS OF A POLYAMINE INHIBITOR ON MURINE LUPUST Thomas; Fiscal Year: 1990..DFMO is an irreversible inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme involved in polyamine biosynthesis...
- POLYAMINE METABOLISM IN DIABETESJon Levine; Fiscal Year: 1980This application will continue to study the alterations which occur in the activity of the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), thought to be the rate-limiting enzyme in the biosynthesis of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine and ..
- ODC, THE CYTOSKELETON, AND CELL GROWTHRocky Tuan; Fiscal Year: 1999..Overexpression of the growth-related enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) causes cellular transformation and is central to TPA-induced papilloma formation in mouse skin...
- Regulation and Role of Ornithine Decarboxylase in Cell Proliferation and CancerJohn L Cleveland; Fiscal Year: 2013..Remarkably, this pathway strictly relies on a single Myc transcription target, ornithine decarboxylase (Odc), the rate limiting enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis...
- ODC AS A THERAPEUTIC TARGET--GENE FUNCTION ANALYSISGordon Luk; Fiscal Year: 1992The project seeks to define the regulation of ornithine decarboxylase (DDC), a potential therapeutic target for neoplasia, at the level of gene expression...
- Involvement of opiorphins and polyamine synthesis in the development of priapismKelvin P Davies; Fiscal Year: 2013..tissue of retired breeder rats results in the up-regulation of arginine catabolism through activation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and polyamine synthesis...
- Proteomic analysis of eukaryotic protein synthesisAndrew J Link; Fiscal Year: 2010..The essential cell-cycle gene ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and the oncogene c- myc are translated through a cap-independent mechanism using internal ribosomal ..
- Zigang Dong; Fiscal Year: 2016..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is highly expressed in many cancer cell types and promotes growth and tumor formation...
- CANCER CHEMOPREVENTION BY SILYMARINRajesh Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 1999..inhibits 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)- and other skin tumor promoter-induced epidermal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity, and TPA-induced epidermal ODC mRNA expression...
- C-MYC EXPRESSION AND APOPTOSIS IN B CELLSGAIL SONENSHEIN; Fiscal Year: 2007..7) inhibition of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) promotes apoptosis...
- ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASE AND ISCHEMIC BRAIN EDEMARobert Dempsey; Fiscal Year: 1999..is improved therapy for incomplete cerebral ischemia based on a better understanding of the role of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and its polyamine products in the pathophysiology of cerebral ischemia...
- REGULATION OF ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASE BY PHORBOL ESTERSAndrew Butler; Fiscal Year: 2002Induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is one of the earliest changes in gene expression elicited by phorbol ester tumor promoters such as 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA), and is a common feature of multiple classes of ..
- Evaluation of mTOR as a chemoprevention target in skin cancerLisa Shantz; Fiscal Year: 2009..reduction of mTOR in the skin of mTOR mice decreases 4EBP1 phosphorylation and blunts the induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in response to the tumor promoter TPA...
- FUNCTIONAL ANATOMY OF ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASEPhilip Coffino; Fiscal Year: 1990b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity is central to a major biochemical pathway, undergoes complex regulation, and is the target of drugs with potential therapeutic utility, but little is known of the enzyme's structure...
- ODC-Az as a Tumor Suppressor by DNA DemethylationTakanori Tsuji; Fiscal Year: 2006This is a four-year proposal to examine novel anti-tumor activities of ornithine decarboxylase-antizyme (ODC-Az) in carcinogenesis by a DNA demethylation mechanism...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PROSTATE CANCER--ODC AND AR GENOTYPESKathy Helzlsouer; Fiscal Year: 2001..of prostate cancer we plan to focus on the association between a new polymorphism found on the ornithine decarboxylase gene (ODC) and the development of prostate cancer...
- PHASE I CHEMOPREVENTION USING DFMO TO MODULATE ODCGordon Luk; Fiscal Year: 1991..chemoprevention trial is proposed utilizing difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), a specific inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), to modulate odc and related enzymes and markers of colonic mucosal proliferation...
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASE ALLELESTHOMAS O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2000Recent work in animal models of carcinogenesis have demonstrated that ornithine decarboxylase (Odc) is a susceptibility gene for skin cancer...
- POLYAMINES AND CHEMICAL CARCINOGENESISTHOMAS O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using a transgenic mouse model, we have previously demonstrated that the ornithine decarboxylase (Ode) gene is a susceptibility gene for nonmelanoma skin cancer in the mouse...
- Role of Polyamines in MYCN-Amplified NeuroblastomaANDRE BACHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2009..polyamine inhibitors, DFMO and SAM486A, which specifically inhibit the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), respectively...
- POLYAMINES AND MONOCROTALINE PNEUMOTOXICITYJACK OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1992..will be used to determine if endothelial cells in the lungs of MCT-treated rats exhibit a temporally enhanced ODC activity related to perivascular edema formation; (2) Cultured endothelial cells will be used to determine if MCT- ..
- ROBERT WADE SIGGINS; Fiscal Year: 2015..the cell that is the origin of both osteoclasts and myeloid dendritic cells (mDCs): the osteoclast-dendritic cell (ODC) progenitor...
- Alcohol-induced Osteoimmunopathies: A Unifying Explanatory MechanismROBERT WADE SIGGINS; Fiscal Year: 2012..the cell that is the origin of both osteoclasts and myeloid dendritic cells (mDCs): the osteoclast-dendritic cell (ODC) progenitor...
- Visual Brain Repair in Infantile StrabismusLawrence Tychsen; Fiscal Year: 2011..Suppression of ODC activity and inhibitory connections will also be examined using cytochrome- oxidase and GABA histochemistry...
- UMP SYNTHASE AND THE MOLECULAR BASIS OF OROTIC ACIDURIADALE SUTTLE; Fiscal Year: 1991..The two activities, orotate phosphoribosyltransferase (OPRT) and orotidine-5'-monophosphate decarboxylase (ODC), catalyze the conversion of orotic acid to orotidine=5'-monophosphate (OMP) and OMP to UMP...
- fMRI ABILITY TO MAP COLUMNAR STRUCTURES IN HUMANSEssa Yacoub; Fiscal Year: 2009..several fMRI studies have succeeded in mapping ocular dominance columns (ODCs) in humans, since the initial ODC fMRI work in humans over 6 years ago, there has been very little advancement in this pursuit until our recent work...
- Oleandrin: A Novel Skin Cancer Chemopreventive AgentHasan Mukhtar; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because of the established role of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in tumor promotion and nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kB), in regulating the transcription of a variety ..
- PRODUCTIVE AND ABORTIVE INFLUENZA VIRUS INFECTION OF CNSGary Bradshaw; Fiscal Year: 1990..cultures at various levels of differentiation: specialized cells such as neurons, astrocytes, oligodendrocytes (ODC), cerebral endothelial cells, and fibroblasts respond with varying expression of specific viral gene products, ..
- Basal Cell Carcinoma:Molecular Pathogenesis & PreventionDavid Bickers; Fiscal Year: 2006..a proliferative stimulus to epidermal keratinocytes and that induction of the enzyme ornithine decarhoxylase (ODC') is a major contributor to the augmented growth and clonal expansion of initiated cells...
- EFFECT OF ETHANOL ON REGULATION OF LIVER REGENERATIONAnna Mae Diehl; Fiscal Year: 1993..indicate that chronic consumption of ethanol inhibits polyamine synthesis by inhibiting the activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate limiting enzyme for polyamine synthesis...
- CHEMOPREVENTION OF SKIN CANCER--DFMO PHASE 3 TRIALHoward Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2002..Interference with polyamine biosynthesis by inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) enzyme with difluoromethylornithine (DFMO) reduces skin cancer formation...
- INFLAMMATORY APOPTOSIS AFTER SPINAL CORD INJURYChung Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will explore a possible pathogenic role of TNF-alpha in ODC apoptosis in the context of a post-traumatic inflammatory reaction...
- Role of ornithine decarboxylase in Ras transformationLisa Shantz; Fiscal Year: 2006..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The goal of this work is to understand the mechanism by which ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity is induced during carcinogenesis by oncogenic ras, andto define the role of ODC in this ..
- POLYAMINE INVOLVEMENT IN MAMMARY CARCINOGENESISAndrea Manni; Fiscal Year: 2001..Specifically: (1) He will determine the influence of overexpression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) (the first rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis) individually and in combination with ..
- Polyamines and Breast Cancer BiologyAndrea Manni; Fiscal Year: 2005..The rationale for the proposed studies derives from our preliminary finding that inhibition of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first and rate-limiting enzyme in PA biosynthesis, suppresses pulmonary metastasis from human ..
- Agmatine Mediated Arrest of ProliferationJoseph Satriano; Fiscal Year: 2003..Az inhibits both the first and rate-limiting enzyme of PA biosynthesis, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), and PA transport...
- Arginine and Ovine Model for Fetal Growth RestrictionGuoyao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will ultimately promote favorable pregnancy outcomes while saving billions of healthcare dollars in the U.S. and worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Modulation of Diabetic Kidney Growth/ HypertrophyJoseph Satriano; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tool to Define the Antiproliferative Effects of AgmatineJoseph Satriano; Fiscal Year: 2006..The rate-limiting enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis is ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a proto-oncogene required for growth and significantly elevated in tumors...
- Fetal & Adolescent Nicotine Effects on CNS 5HT SystemsTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- DRUGS AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE ADRENERGIC NERVOUS SYSTEMTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- REGULATION OF EXPRESSION OF NO SYNTHASELouis Ignarro; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed research represents a continuing long-term effort to elucidate the biological factors influencing the vascular and related actions of NO in health and disease. ..
- IN VIVO MODULATION OF PROTEIN KINASE CK2 BY POLYAMINESSusan Gilmour; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a key regulatory enzyme in the biosynthesis of polyamines...
- INVESTIGATIONS OF MAMMALIAN AMINOPROPYLTRANSFERASESANTHONY PEGG; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- CYTOSTATIC ROLE OF THE ARGININE-NITRIC OXIDE PATHWAYLouis Ignarro; Fiscal Year: 2001..We have also found that NO inhibits ornithine decarboxylase activity...
- POLYAMINES AND EPITHELIAL TUMORIGENESISSusan K Gilmour; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a key regulatory enzyme in the biosynthesis of polyamines, which are essential for normal cell ..
- Arginase and Nitric Oxide in AtherosclerosisLouis Ignarro; Fiscal Year: 2004..The feasibility of this approach is borne out by the extensive preliminary data that support the central hypothesis. ..
- Age-related changes in stromal cancer modifier genesSusan Gilmour; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- POLYAMINE-MODULATED HISTONE ACETYLATION IN TUMORIGENESISSusan Gilmour; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION: (provided by applicant) Omithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a key regulatory enzyme in the biosynthesis of polyamines which are essential for normal cell growth and differentiation...
- MECHANISMS OF CHLORPYRIFOS DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROTOXICITYTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular mechanisms of developmental neurotoxicity can be determined and linked to eventual alterations in behavioral performance. ..
- T cell activating genePatent Number: WO2004058805-A2; Date:2004-07-15