Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: OCLN
Alias: BLCPMG, PPP1R115, PTORCH1, occludin, phosphatase 1, regulatory subunit 115, tight junction protein occludin
- Occludin phosphorylation and ubiquitination regulate tight junction trafficking and vascular endothelial growth factor-induced permeabilityTomoaki Murakami
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology and Ophthalmology, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 284:21036-46. 2009..However, the molecular mechanisms of barrier regulation are poorly understood. Here we demonstrate that occludin phosphorylation and ubiquitination regulate VEGF-induced TJ protein trafficking and concomitant vascular ..
- Structure of the conserved cytoplasmic C-terminal domain of occludin: identification of the ZO-1 binding surfaceYuanhe Li
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
J Mol Biol 352:151-64. 2005b>Occludin is a transmembrane protein localized at tight junctions whose functions are complex yet poorly understood. Current evidence supports a role for occludin in both the formation of the paracellular barrier and in cell signaling...
- MAPK interacts with occludin and mediates EGF-induced prevention of tight junction disruption by hydrogen peroxideShyamali Basuroy
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Biochem J 393:69-77. 2006..with the prevention of H2O2-induced Tyr-phosphorylation, Thr-dephosphorylation and cellular redistribution of occludin and ZO-1 (zonula occludin-1)...
- Raf 1 represses expression of the tight junction protein occludin via activation of the zinc-finger transcription factor slugZ Wang
Epithelial Pathobiology Research Unit, Department of Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Oncogene 26:1222-30. 2007..epithelial cells disrupts TJs and induces an oncogenic phenotype by downregulating expression of the TJ protein, occludin. Here we report the mechanism by which Raf 1 regulates occludin expression...
- Coxsackievirus entry across epithelial tight junctions requires occludin and the small GTPases Rab34 and Rab5Carolyn B Coyne
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cell Host Microbe 2:181-92. 2007..we show that CVB does not induce major reorganization of the TJ, but stimulates the specific internalization of occludin-a TJ integral membrane component-within macropinosomes...
- Methamphetamine alters blood brain barrier permeability via the modulation of tight junction expression: Implication for HIV-1 neuropathogenesis in the context of drug abuseSupriya D Mahajan
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology, 301 Multi Research Building, Buffalo General Hospital, 100 High Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
Brain Res 1203:133-48. 2008..We investigated the effect of Meth and/or gp120 on the basal expression of TJ proteins ZO-1, JAM-2, Occludin, Claudin-3 and Claudin-5, using in vitro cultures of the primary brain microvascular endothelial cells (BMVEC)...
- Different expression of occludin and ZO-1 in primary and metastatic liver tumorsErika Orbán
2nd Department of Pathology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Pathol Oncol Res 14:299-306. 2008..TJs are composed of three main integral membrane proteins; occludin, claudins and JAMs...
- The tight junction protein complex undergoes rapid and continuous molecular remodeling at steady stateLe Shen
Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Cell Biol 181:683-95. 2008..In contrast, the majority of occludin (71 +/- 3%) diffuses rapidly within the tight junction with a diffusion constant of 0.011 microm(2)s(-1)...
- A novel splice variant of occludin deleted in exon 9 and its role in cell apoptosis and invasionJin Mo Gu
Department of Biological Sciences and Seoul National University, 56 1 Shillim dong, Kwanak gu, Seoul, Korea
FEBS J 275:3145-56. 2008The tight junction protein occludin participates in cell adhesion and migration and has been shown to possess antitumorigenic properties; however, the exact mechanism underlying these effects is poorly understood...
- Caveolin-1 regulates human immunodeficiency virus-1 Tat-induced alterations of tight junction protein expression via modulation of the Ras signalingYu Zhong
Molecular Neuroscience and Vascular Biology Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Neurosci 28:7788-96. 2008..Exposure to Tat diminished the expression of several tight junction proteins, namely, occludin, zonula occludens (ZO)-1, and ZO-2 in the caveolar fraction of HBMECs...
- Phosphorylation of Tyr-398 and Tyr-402 in occludin prevents its interaction with ZO-1 and destabilizes its assembly at the tight junctionsBertha C Elias
Department of Physiology, Charles B Stout Neuroscience Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Biol Chem 284:1559-69. 2009b>Occludin is phosphorylated on tyrosine residues during the oxidative stress-induced disruption of tight junction, and in vitro phosphorylation of occludin by c-Src attenuates its binding to ZO-1...
- Tight junction proteins claudin-1 and occludin control hepatitis C virus entry and are downregulated during infection to prevent superinfectionShufeng Liu
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Virol 83:2011-4. 2009..Here, we show that another TJ protein, occludin, is also required for HCV entry...
- PKC eta regulates occludin phosphorylation and epithelial tight junction integrityTakuya Suzuki
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 894 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:61-6. 2009..We present evidence that PKC eta phosphorylates occludin on threonine residues (T403 and T404) and plays a crucial role in the assembly and/or maintenance of TJs in Caco-..
- Identification and analysis of occludin phosphosites: a combined mass spectrometry and bioinformatics approachJeffrey M Sundstrom
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Penn State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Proteome Res 8:808-17. 2009The molecular function of occludin, an integral membrane component of tight junctions, remains unclear. VEGF-induced phosphorylation sites were mapped on occludin by combining MS data analysis with bioinformatics...
- Human occludin is a hepatitis C virus entry factor required for infection of mouse cellsAlexander Ploss
Center for the Study of Hepatitis C, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nature 457:882-6. 2009..Here we show, using an iterative complementary DNA library screening approach, that human occludin (OCLN) is an essential HCV cell entry factor that is able to render murine cells infectable with HCVpp...
- Zonula occludens-1, occludin, and E-cadherin protein expression in biliary tract cancersZsuzsanna Nemeth
2nd Department of Pathology, Semmelweis University, Ulloi ut 93, H 1091 Budapest, Hungary
Pathol Oncol Res 15:533-9. 2009..involves profound alterations of proteins in the intercellular junctions, among others zonula occludens-1 (ZO-1), occludin, and E-cadherin...
- Interspecies diversity of the occludin sequence: cDNA cloning of human, mouse, dog, and rat-kangaroo homologuesY Ando-Akatsuka
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
J Cell Biol 133:43-7. 1996b>Occludin has been identified from chick liver as a novel integral membrane protein localizing at tight junctions (Furuse, M., T. Hirase, M. Itoh, A. Nagafuchi, S. Yonemura, Sa. Tsukita, and Sh. Tsukita. 1993. J. Cell Biol. 123:1777-1788)...
- The tight junction-associated protein occludin is required for a postbinding step in hepatitis C virus entry and infectionIgnacio Benedicto
Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Madrid, Spain
J Virol 83:8012-20. 2009..Additionally, we have shown that the intracellular interaction between viral E2 glycoprotein and occludin, another TJ-associated protein, could be the cause of the mislocalization of TJ proteins...
- Differential phosphorylation of occludin and tricellulin by CK2 and CK1Max J Dörfel
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiochemistry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1165:69-73. 2009..Within the tight junctions the tetraspan transmembrane proteins occludin, claudins, and tricellulin form anastomosing strands of protein complexes, which interconnect opposing membranes ..
- Alteration of tight junction proteins is an early event in psoriasis: putative involvement of proinflammatory cytokinesNina Kirschner
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg, Germany
Am J Pathol 175:1095-106. 2009..Here we show that localization of TJ proteins is already altered in early-stage psoriasis. Occludin, ZO-1, and claudin-4 are found in more layers than in normal epidermis, and claudin-1 and -7 are down-regulated ..
- Redox-sensitivity of the dimerization of occludinJ K Walter
Leibniz Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie Berlin, FMP, Robert Rossle Str 10, 13125, Berlin Buch, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:3655-62. 2009b>Occludin is a self-associating transmembrane tight junction protein affected in oxidative stress. However, its function is unknown...
- Identification of MarvelD3 as a tight junction-associated transmembrane protein of the occludin familyEmily Steed
Department of Cell Biology, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
BMC Cell Biol 10:95. 2009..How these components work together to form functional tight junctions is still not well understood and will require a complete understanding of the molecular composition of the junction...
- The tight junction protein, occludin, regulates the directional migration of epithelial cellsDan Du
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Dev Cell 18:52-63. 2010..We report that occludin, a transmembrane protein, is localized at the leading edge of migrating cells and regulates directional cell ..
- Tight junction-associated MARVEL proteins marveld3, tricellulin, and occludin have distinct but overlapping functionsDavid R Raleigh
Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Biol Cell 21:1200-13. 2010In vitro studies have demonstrated that occludin and tricellulin are important for tight junction barrier function, but in vivo data suggest that loss of these proteins can be overcome...
- Occludin is required for cytokine-induced regulation of tight junction barriersChristina M Van Itallie
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Cell Sci 123:2844-52. 2010The function of occludin remains elusive. Proposed roles include maintenance of tight junction barriers, signaling and junction remodeling...
- The second extracellular loop dictates Occludin-mediated HCV entryShufeng Liu
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Virology 407:160-70. 2010Recent findings have implicated tight junction (TJ) protein Occludin (OCLN) as an essential factor for hepatitis C virus (HCV) to enter human hepatocytes...
- Species-specific regions of occludin required by hepatitis C virus for cell entryMaria L Michta
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Virol 84:11696-708. 2010..It has been previously determined that the tight junction protein occludin (OCLN) is essential for HCV host cell entry and that human OCLN is more efficient than the mouse ..
- Loss of occludin leads to the progression of human breast cancerTracey A Martin
Metastasis and Angiogenesis Research Group, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, UK
Int J Mol Med 26:723-34. 2010b>Occludin is an integral membrane protein localised at tight junctions (TJs). It has become clear that the TJ is an important structure that cancer cells must overcome in order to metastasize successfully...
- Occludin regulates macromolecule flux across the intestinal epithelial tight junction barrierRana Al-Sadi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 300:G1054-64. 2011..The expression of occludin is markedly decreased in intestinal permeability disorders, including in Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and ..
- Occludin S408 phosphorylation regulates tight junction protein interactions and barrier functionDavid R Raleigh
Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Cell Biol 193:565-82. 2011Although the C-terminal cytoplasmic tail of the tight junction protein occludin is heavily phosphorylated, the functional impact of most individual sites is undefined...
- The occludin and ZO-1 complex, defined by small angle X-ray scattering and NMR, has implications for modulating tight junction permeabilityBrian R Tash
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, H171, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:10855-60. 2012..Phosphorylation-dependent binding of the transmembrane protein occludin to the structural organizing protein ZO-1 contributes to the regulation of barrier properties; however, the ..
- Characterization of ZO-2 as a MAGUK family member associated with tight as well as adherens junctions with a binding affinity to occludin and alpha cateninM Itoh
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:5981-6. 1999..Consistently, occludin as well as alpha catenin directly bound to N-ZO-2 as well as the NH2-terminal dlg-like portion of ZO-1 (N-ZO-1) ..
- Occludin TM4(-): an isoform of the tight junction protein present in primates lacking the fourth transmembrane domainM Reza Ghassemifar
Division of Cell Sciences, School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, UK Department of Biology, University of York, PO Box 373, York YO10 5YW, UK
J Cell Sci 115:3171-80. 2002The tight junction protein occludin possesses four transmembrane domains, two extracellular loops, and cytoplasmic N- and C-termini...
- The tight junction-specific protein occludin is a functional target of the E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase itchAndreas Traweger
Institute of Molecular Biology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
J Biol Chem 277:10201-8. 2002..Recent evidence confirms the notion that occludin, a four-pass integral plasma-membrane protein, is a functional component of the paracellular barrier...
- Epidermal tight junctions: ZO-1 and occludin are expressed in mature, developing, and affected skin and in vitro differentiating keratinocytesK Pummi
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Turku, Finland
J Invest Dermatol 117:1050-8. 2001..Indirect immunofluorescence labeling and immunoelectron microscopy with antibodies to ZO-1 and occludin localized tight junction components ZO-1 and occludin to a narrow zone of the granular cells of adult epidermis...
- Use of surface plasmon resonance for real-time analysis of the interaction of ZO-1 and occludinA Schmidt
Institute of Molecular Pharmacology, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 288:1194-9. 2001..spectroscopy was applied to study in real time, the interaction between the tight junction proteins ZO-1 and occludin. To imitate the morphology of tight junctions, a cytosolic tail of mouse occludin was immobilised at the sensor ..
- Direct binding of three tight junction-associated MAGUKs, ZO-1, ZO-2, and ZO-3, with the COOH termini of claudinsM Itoh
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Cell Biol 147:1351-63. 1999..TJ strands are mainly composed of two distinct types of four-transmembrane proteins, occludin, and claudins, between which occludin was reported to directly bind to ZO-1/ZO-2/ZO-3...
- Occludin phosphorylation: identification of an occludin kinase in brain and cell extracts as CK2Caroline Smales
Eisai London Research Laboratories Ltd, Bernard Katz Building, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
FEBS Lett 545:161-6. 2003..However, mechanisms regulating tight junction function are not clear. Occludin, a tight junction protein, undergoes phosphorylation changes in several situations but little is known about ..
- Protein interactions at the tight junction. Actin has multiple binding partners, and ZO-1 forms independent complexes with ZO-2 and ZO-3E S Wittchen
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alberta, Edmonton T6G 2H7, Canada
J Biol Chem 274:35179-85. 1999..purified recombinant proteins and immunoprecipitation analyses to define interactions between ZO-1, ZO-2, ZO-3, occludin, and the actin cytoskeleton...
- In vitro protein complex formation with cytoskeleton-anchoring domain of occludin identified by limited proteolysisBi Hung Peng
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0750, USA
J Biol Chem 278:49644-51. 2003b>Occludin is an essential membrane protein component of cellular tight junctions, participating in both cell-cell adhesion in the paracellular space and anchoring of the junctional complex to the cytoskeleton...
- Occludin expression decreases with the progression of human endometrial carcinomaHirotoshi Tobioka
Department of Pathology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
Hum Pathol 35:159-64. 2004..In this study we introduced an anti-occludin monoclonal antibody for semiquantitative assay of the occludin expression in tissue sections of human normal and ..
- The tight junction protein ZO-1 establishes a link between the transmembrane protein occludin and the actin cytoskeletonA S Fanning
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
J Biol Chem 273:29745-53. 1998..ZO-1 has been demonstrated to interact with the transmembrane protein occludin, a second tight junction-specific MAGUK, ZO-2, and F-actin, although the nature and functional significance of ..
- ZO-3, a novel member of the MAGUK protein family found at the tight junction, interacts with ZO-1 and occludinJ Haskins
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7, Canada
J Cell Biol 141:199-208. 1998..In vitro affinity analyses demonstrated that recombinant 130-kD protein directly interacts with ZO-1 and the cytoplasmic domain of occludin, but not with ZO-2. We propose that this protein be named ZO-3.
- Occludin confers adhesiveness when expressed in fibroblastsC M Van Itallie
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Cell Sci 110:1113-21. 1997b>Occludin is an integral membrane protein specifically associated with tight junctions. Previous studies suggest it is likely to function in forming the intercellular seal...
- HIV-1 gp120 proteins alter tight junction protein expression and brain endothelial cell permeability: implications for the pathogenesis of HIV-associated dementiaGeorgette D Kanmogne
Department of Pharmacology, Center for Neurovirology and Neurodegenerative Disorders, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 5215, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 64:498-505. 2005..Also, gp120 proteins caused disruption and downregulation of the tight junction proteins ZO-1, ZO-2, and occludin in these cells. Other junctional proteins such as claudin-1 and claudin-5 were unaffected by gp120 treatment...
- The second loop of occludin is required for suppression of Raf1-induced tumor growthZili Wang
Epithelial Pathobiology Research Unit, Department of Pathology, Emory University, 615 Michael Street, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Oncogene 24:4412-20. 2005..of rat salivary gland epithelial cells (Pa4-Raf1) induces transcriptional downregulation of the TJ protein occludin and forced re-expression of occludin rescues polarized phenotype of epithelial cells...
- Direct association of occludin with ZO-1 and its possible involvement in the localization of occludin at tight junctionsM Furuse
Department of Information Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Aichi, Japan
J Cell Biol 127:1617-26. 1994b>Occludin is an integral membrane protein localizing at tight junctions (TJ) with four transmembrane domains and a long COOH-terminal cytoplasmic domain (domain E) consisting of 255 amino acids...
- VEGF-mediated disruption of endothelial CLN-5 promotes blood-brain barrier breakdownAzeb Tadesse Argaw
Corinne Goldsmith Dickinson Center for Multiple Sclerosis and Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1977-82. 2009..Here, we identify the endothelial transmembrane tight junction proteins claudin-5 (CLN-5) and occludin (OCLN) as targets of VEGF-A action...
- Occludin-Knockout Human Hepatic Huh7.5.1-8-Derived Cells Are Completely Resistant to Hepatitis C Virus InfectionYoshitaka Shirasago
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases
Biol Pharm Bull 39:839-48. 2016It is well known that occludin (OCLN) is involved in hepatitis C virus (HCV) entry into hepatocytes, but there has been no conclusive evidence that OCLN is essential for HCV infection...
- Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor decreases the expression of occludin and transendothelial resistance (TER) and increases paracellular permeability in human vascular endothelial cellsW G Jiang
Metastasis Research Group, University Department of Surgery, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, United Kingdom
J Cell Physiol 181:319-29. 1999..In the current study, we examined the effects of HGF/SF on the function of tight junctions and the expression of occludin in these cells...
- HIV-1 Tat protein increases the permeability of brain endothelial cells by both inhibiting occludin expression and cleaving occludin via matrix metalloproteinase-9Ruifen Xu
Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of Education Ministry, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, China
Brain Res 1436:13-9. 2012..brain microvascular endothelial cells (HBMEC) were exposed to recombinant HIV-1 Tat protein, and the effects on occludin were observed. Tat treatment decreased occludin mRNA and protein levels...
- Blood-brain barrier abnormalities caused by HIV-1 gp120: mechanistic and therapeutic implicationsJean Pierre Louboutin
Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, 1020 Locust Street Room 255 Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 2012:482575. 2012....
- Attenuated expression of the tight junction proteins is involved in clopidogrel-induced gastric injury through p38 MAPK activationHai Lu Wu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Nanjing Medical University Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing, China
Toxicology 304:41-8. 2013..Moreover, expression of the TJ proteins occludin and ZO-1 and the phosphorylation of the mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPK) p38, ERK, and JNK were examined ..
- Zonula occludens-1, occludin and E-cadherin expression and organization in salivary glands with Sjögren's syndromeRachel E Mellas
School of Dentistry, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA REM, NJL, JWN, OJB Department of Oral Biology, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA ADM
J Histochem Cytochem 63:45-56. 2015..Protein expression studies revealed that the TJ proteins, zonula occludens-1 (ZO-1), occludin, claudin-12, as well as E-cadherin, do not significantly change in NOD/ShiLtJ mice...
- Analysis of invasion-metastasis mechanism in pancreatic cancer: involvement of tight junction transmembrane protein occludin and MEK/ERK signal transduction pathway in cancer cell dissociationXiaodong Tan
Department of Surgery II, Kumamoto University Medical School, Kumamoto, Japan
Oncol Rep 11:993-8. 2004..In this study, the expressions and correlation of TJ transmembrane protein occludin and MEK/extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) signaling pathway were analyzed to clarify the regulatory ..
- Effect of RNA interference of tight junction-related molecules on intercellular barrier function in cultured human keratinocytesTakuya Yamamoto
Department of Dermatology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, 3 18 15, Kuramoto, Tokushima, 770 8503, Japan
Arch Dermatol Res 300:517-24. 2008..In contrast, the transepithelial electrical resistance was clearly suppressed when the expression of claudin-1 or occludin was blocked by RNA interference...
- Identification of an occludin cell adhesion recognition sequenceOrest W Blaschuk
Department of Surgery, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Inflammation 26:193-8. 2002The molecular mechanisms by which the tight junction integral membrane protein, occludin promotes cell adhesion and establishes an endothelial monolayer permeability barrier have not been elucidated...
- A novel rearrangement of occludin causes brain calcification and renal dysfunctionMarissa A LeBlanc
Department of Pathology, Dalhousie University, 5850 College St, Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building, Room 11 F, Halifax, NS, Canada
Hum Genet 132:1223-34. 2013..describe the identification of a novel rearrangement in which a downstream pseudogene translocates into exon 9 of OCLN, resulting in band-like brain calcification and advanced chronic kidney disease in early childhood...
- Epithelial permeability alterations in an in vitro air-liquid interface model of allergic fungal rhinosinusitisKyle A Den Beste
Epithelial Pathobiology and Mucosal Inflammation Research Unit, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 3:19-25. 2013..The aim of this study was to compare epithelial permeability and intercellular junctional protein expression among cultured primary sinonasal cells from AFRS patients vs noninflammatory controls...
- Tight junction regulation by morphine and HIV-1 tat modulates blood-brain barrier permeabilitySupriya D Mahajan
Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Buffalo General Hospital, 301 Multi Research Bldg, 100 High Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
J Clin Immunol 28:528-41. 2008..We investigated the effect of morphine and/or tat on the expression of TJ proteins ZO-1, JAM-2, Occludin and P-glycoprotein and the functional effects of TJ modulation in BMVEC...
- Interleukin-18 facilitates neutrophil transmigration via myosin light chain kinase-dependent disruption of occludin, without altering epithelial permeabilityTamia K Lapointe
Dept of Biological Sciences, Univ of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 302:G343-51. 2012..Our findings indicate that IL-18 selectively disrupts tight junctional occludin, without affecting the distribution pattern of claudin-4, claudin-5, zonula occludens-1, or E-cadherin...
- Breaking down the barrier: the effects of HIV-1 on the blood-brain barrierMarianne Strazza
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, and Center for Molecular Virology and Translational Neuroscience, Institute for Molecular Medicine and Infectious Disease, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Brain Res 1399:96-115. 2011....
- The specific fates of tight junction proteins in apoptotic epithelial cellsChristian Bojarski
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
J Cell Sci 117:2097-107. 2004..The transmembrane protein occludin and, likewise, the cytoplasmic adaptor proteins ZO-1 and ZO-2 are fragmented by caspase cleavage...
- Large-scale phosphoproteome analysis of human liver tissue by enrichment and fractionation of phosphopeptides with strong anion exchange chromatographyGuanghui Han
National Chromatographic R and A Center, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian, China
Proteomics 8:1346-61. 2008..This resulted in the highly confident identification of 274 phosphorylation sites from 305 unique phosphopeptides corresponding to 168 proteins at false discovery rate (FDR) of 0.96%...
- Mammalian occludin in epithelial cells: its expression and subcellular distributionM Saitou
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Eur J Cell Biol 73:222-31. 1997b>Occludin has been identified from chick liver as a novel integral membrane protein localizing at tight junctions, and the cDNA encoding its mammalian homologue was identified very recently (Ando-Akatsuka, Y., M. Saitou, T. Hirase, M...
- Expression of occludin, tight-junction-associated protein, in human digestive tractY Kimura
Department of Surgery II, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Am J Pathol 151:45-54. 1997..This junction is one of the most characteristic structural markers of the polarized epithelial cell. Recently, occludin has been identified as an integral transmembrane protein localizing at the tight junction and directly associated ..
- A protein kinase A-dependent mechanism by which rotavirus affects the distribution and mRNA level of the functional tight junction-associated protein, occludin, in human differentiated intestinal Caco-2 cellsIsabelle Beau
Faculte de Pharmacie, INSERM Unit 510, Chatenay Malabry, France 92296
J Virol 81:8579-86. 2007..junctions (TJs) of Caco-2 cell monolayers, rhesus monkey rotavirus (RRV) infection induced the disappearance of occludin. Confocal laser scanning microscopy showed the disappearance of occludin from the cell-cell boundaries without ..
- Expression of human factors CD81, claudin-1, scavenger receptor, and occludin in mouse hepatocytes does not confer susceptibility to HCV entryKeisuke Hikosaka
Department of Biochemistry, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Handa yama, Higashi ku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Japan
Biomed Res 32:143-50. 2011..CD81, claudin-1, scavenger receptor class B type I, and occludin were recently reported to be the important factors in HCV entry into hepatocytes...
- Impact of intra- and interspecies variation of occludin on its function as coreceptor for authentic hepatitis C virus particlesSandra Ciesek
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Virol 85:7613-21. 2011..The tight junction component occludin (OCLN) is essential for HCV entry into host cells, and the differences between human and murine OCLN are thought ..
- Tight junction proteins in keratinocytes: localization and contribution to barrier functionTakuo Yuki
Basic Research Laboratory, Kanebo Cosmetics Inc, Kanagawa, Japan
Exp Dermatol 16:324-30. 2007..Immunofluorescence analyses at 96 h after Ca(2+)-induced differentiation revealed concentrated portions of occludin, a TJ-specific marker, arranged as continuous lines circumscribing individual flattened suprabasal cells in areas ..
- Tight junction proteins in gallbladder epithelium: different expression in acute acalculous and calculous cholecystitisJouko J Laurila
Department of Anesthesiology, Oulu University Hospital, P O Box 21, Oulu, Finland, 90029
J Histochem Cytochem 55:567-73. 2007..Using immunohistochemistry, we investigated the expression of TJ proteins claudin-1, -2, -3, and -4, occludin, zonula occludens (ZO-1), and E-cadherin in 9 normal gallbladders, 30 gallbladders with AAC, and 21 gallbladders ..
- Enhanced tight junction function in human breast cancer cells by antioxidant, selenium and polyunsaturated lipidTracey A Martin
Metastasis and Angiogenesis Research Group, Department of Surgery, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
J Cell Biochem 101:155-66. 2007..after treatment with Se/I/GLA over 24 h, there was increasing relocation to breast cancer cell-cell junctions of occludin and ZO-1 in MCF-7 cells...
- Estrogen decrease in tight junctional resistance involves matrix-metalloproteinase-7-mediated remodeling of occludinGeorge I Gorodeski
Department of Reproductive Biology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Endocrinology 148:218-31. 2007Estrogen modulates tight junctional resistance through estrogen receptor-alpha-mediated remodeling of occludin. The objective of the study was to understand the mechanisms involved...
- Influence of protein kinase C on transcription of the tight junction elements ZO-1 and occludinFrank Weiler
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
J Cell Physiol 204:83-6. 2005..to investigate the influence of protein kinase C (PKC) modulation on the transcription of tight junction elements occludin and ZO-1 in the cell line T84...
- Expression of ZO-1 and occludin in normal human placenta and in hydatidiform molesD Marzioni
Institute of Normal Human Morphology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ancona, Via Tronto, 10 A, I 60020 Ancona, Italy
Mol Hum Reprod 7:279-85. 2001Zonula occludens-1 (ZO-1) and occludin are key molecules in cell-cell contacts. They are tight junction constituents and therefore play a pivotal role in tissue differentiation and organogenesis...
- Hepatitis C virus envelope components alter localization of hepatocyte tight junction-associated proteins and promote occludin retention in the endoplasmic reticulumIgnacio Benedicto
Molecular Biology Unit, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Madrid, Spain
Hepatology 48:1044-53. 2008..TJ-associated proteins occludin, claudin-1, and Zonula Occludens protein-1 (ZO-1) disappeared from their normal localization at the border of ..
- Human protein factory for converting the transcriptome into an in vitro-expressed proteome,Naoki Goshima
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 2 42 Aomi, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 0064, Japan
Nat Methods 5:1011-7. 2008..Our 'human protein factory' infrastructure includes the resources and expression technology for in vitro proteome research...
- Co-localization of junction-associated proteins of the human blood--aqueous barrier: occludin, ZO-1 and F-actinJeffrey Sonsino
Department of Biosciences, New England College of Optometry, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Exp Eye Res 74:123-9. 2002..the same as those in humans, the goal of this study was to determine if the junction related proteins ZO-1 and occludin are present in normal human ciliary epithelium and iridial vascular endothelium...
- Glucocorticoids regulate the human occludin gene through a single imperfect palindromic glucocorticoid response elementNina Harke
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Wurzburg, Koellikerstr 6, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Mol Cell Endocrinol 295:39-47. 2008The 65kDa protein occludin is an essential element of the blood-brain barrier...
- Regulation of tight junctions during the epithelium-mesenchyme transition: direct repression of the gene expression of claudins/occludin by SnailJunichi Ikenouchi
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Cell Sci 116:1959-67. 2003..Claudins and occludin are integral membrane proteins localized at tight junctions, which are responsible for establishing and ..
- Density-enhanced phosphatase 1 regulates phosphorylation of tight junction proteins and enhances barrier function of epithelial cellsJennifer L Sallee
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology and Lineberger Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 284:14997-5006. 2009..We have shown that in epithelial cells the trapping mutant of DEP-1 interacts with the tight junction proteins occludin and ZO-1 in a tyrosine phosphorylation-dependent manner...
- Transcriptional control of occludin expression in vascular endothelia: regulation by Sp3 and YY1Hadassah Sade
Department of Life Sciences, The Open University, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1789:175-84. 2009..The promoter of the tight junction protein occludin exhibited strong activity in a brain endothelial cell line, hCMEC/D3 but was inactive in lung ..
- Occludin expression in microvessels of neoplastic and non-neoplastic human brainM C Papadopoulos
Department of Neurosurgery, Atkinson Morley s Hospital, London SW20 0NE, UK
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 27:384-95. 2001The tight junction protein occludin 'glues' normal, adjacent brain microvessel endothelial cells together...
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of heat stress-induced up-regulation of occludin protein expression: regulatory role of heat shock factor-1Karol Dokladny
Internal Medicine Gastroenterology and Hepatology, MSC10 5550, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Am J Pathol 172:659-70. 2008The heat stress (HS)-induced increase in occludin protein expression has been postulated to be a protective response against HS-induced disruption of the intestinal epithelial tight junction barrier...
- CaCo-2 cells treated with Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin form multiple large complex species, one of which contains the tight junction protein occludinU Singh
Department of Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Biol Chem 275:18407-17. 2000..These immunoblot experiments also revealed that occludin, an approximately 65-kDa tight junction protein, is present in the approximately 200-kDa large complex but absent ..
- Expression of occludin and claudins 1, 3, 4, and 7 in urothelial carcinoma of the upper urinary tractKuniaki Nakanishi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Japan
Am J Clin Pathol 130:43-9. 2008..However, the role of TJ proteins in cancer is not well understood. We studied the expression of occludin and 4 claudins to assess their importance in the progression of urothelial carcinoma of the upper urinary tract (..
- Analysis of tight junctions during neutrophil transendothelial migrationA R Burns
Cardiovascular Sciences, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Cell Sci 113:45-57. 2000..interleukin-1-treated monolayers does not result in widespread proteolytic loss of TJ proteins (ZO-1, ZO-2, and occludin) from endothelial borders...
- Induction of tight junctions in human connexin 32 (hCx32)-transfected mouse hepatocytes: connexin 32 interacts with occludinT Kojima
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 266:222-9. 1999..Immunocytochemistry revealed that endogenous integral tight junction protein occludin was strongly localized and was colocalized with Cx32 at cell borders in transfectants, whereas ..
- Immunohistological distribution of the tight junction components ZO-1 and occludin in regenerating human epidermisM Malminen
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 4 8, 20520 Turku, Finland
Br J Dermatol 149:255-60. 2003..Tight junctions have recently been characterized in the granular cell layer of human epidermis, and the role of these junctions in the epidermal barrier is now being re-evaluated...
- Disturbed expression of E-cadherin, beta-catenin and tight junction proteins in colon carcinoma is unrelated to growth pattern and genetic polymorphismsVictoria Hahn-Strömberg
Dept of Clinical Medicine, Orebro University, Orebro, Orebro, Sweden
APMIS 116:253-62. 2008..Immunohistochemical staining of beta-catenin, E-cadherin, occludin and claudin 2 was used for assessment of protein expression...
- Recessive mutations in the gene encoding the tight junction protein occludin cause band-like calcification with simplified gyration and polymicrogyriaMary C O'Driscoll
University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Central Manchester Foundation Trust University Hospitals, UK
Am J Hum Genet 87:354-64. 2010..We provide evidence that the tight junction protein occludin (encoded by the OCLN gene) is involved in the pathogenesis of malformations of cortical development.
- NeuroAIDS in Cameroon: Molecular determinantsGEORGETTE KANMOGNE; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will provide knowledge on the epidemiology of neuroAIDS in Cameroon and build the capacity for future neuroAIDS research and therapeutic testing in Cameroon. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV-1 gp120-induced Endothelial Cell DysfunctionGEORGETTE KANMOGNE; Fiscal Year: 2007..microvascular endothelial cells result in the loss of tight junction proteins we will assess the expression of occludin, claudia-5 and zonula occludens-1 using western blotting and immunofluorescence...
- MUCOSAL PROTECTIVE FACTORS IN HUMAN MILKRadhakrishna Rao; Fiscal Year: 2003..protective factors in breast milk, and provide the basis for further characterization of the mechanisms involved in mucosal protection by breast milk, and their role in preventing neonatal gastrointestinal diseases ..
- The Neurotransmitter dopamine and angiogenesisDebabrata Mukhopadhyay; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Estrogen and Aging effects on Transvaginal TransportGeorge Gorodeski; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..