Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NEK6
Description: NIMA related kinase 6
Alias: SID6-1512, serine/threonine-protein kinase Nek6, NIMA (never in mitosis gene a)-related kinase 6, never in mitosis A-related kinase 6, nimA-related protein kinase 6, protein kinase SID6-1512
- A mitotic cascade of NIMA family kinases. Nercc1/Nek9 activates the Nek6 and Nek7 kinasesChristopher Belham
Department of Molecular Biology and Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 278:34897-909. 2003..b>Nek6 (314AA) and Nek7 (303AA), 76% identical, have little noncatalytic sequence but bind to the carboxyl-terminal ..
- Activation of serum- and glucocorticoid-regulated protein kinase by agonists that activate phosphatidylinositide 3-kinase is mediated by 3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 (PDK1) and PDK2T Kobayashi
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Dundee, MSI WTB complex, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 339:319-28. 1999..These findings raise the possibility that some physiological roles ascribed to PKB on the basis of the overexpression of constitutively active PKB mutants might be mediated by SGK...
- Interaction of Pin1 with Nek6 and characterization of their expression correlation in Chinese hepatocellular carcinoma patientsJian Chen
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:1059-65. 2006..In this report, we found that Pin1 could interact with Nek6, one of the human NIMA-related kinases (Neks)...
- Clinical and biological significance of never in mitosis gene A-related kinase 6 (NEK6) expression in hepatic cell cancerXiaolei Cao
Department of Pathology, Medical College, Nantong University, Nantong, Jiangsu, 226001, People s Republic of China
Pathol Oncol Res 18:201-7. 2012b>Nek6 is a cell cycle regulatory gene, which can control cell proliferation and survival. Recent studies suggested that desregulation of Nek6 expression plays a key role in oncogenesis...
- Molecular basis for the substrate specificity of NIMA-related kinase-6 (NEK6). Evidence that NEK6 does not phosphorylate the hydrophobic motif of ribosomal S6 protein kinase and serum- and glucocorticoid-induced protein kinase in vivoJose M Lizcano
Medical Research Council Protein Phosphorylation Unit, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:27839-49. 2002..Recent work has implicated the NIMA (never in mitosis, gene A)-related kinase-6 (NEK6) as the enzyme that phosphorylates the hydrophobic motif of S6K1 in vivo...
- Identification and characterization of Nek6 protein kinase, a potential human homolog of NIMA histone H3 kinaseYoshihiro Hashimoto
Department of Biochemistry, Nagoya City University Medical School, 1 Kawasumi, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:753-8. 2002..In the present study, we identified human Nek6 (hNek6), a member of the mammalian NIMA-related kinases...
- Nercc1, a mammalian NIMA-family kinase, binds the Ran GTPase and regulates mitotic progressionJoan Roig
Department of Molecular Biology and the Diabetes Unit and Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Genes Dev 16:1640-58. 2002..Nercc1 binds to another NIMA-like kinase, Nek6, and also binds specifically to the Ran GTPase through both its catalytic and its RCC1-like domains, preferring ..
- Nek6 overexpression antagonizes p53-induced senescence in human cancer cellsHye Jin Jee
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Dong A University, Busan, South Korea
Cell Cycle 9:4703-10. 2010b>Nek6 is an NIMA-related kinase that plays a critical role in mitotic cell cycle progression. Recent studies have shown that Nek6 is upregulated in various human cancers, but the function of Nek6 in tumorigenesis is largely unknown...
- Characterization of hNek6 interactome reveals an important role for its short N-terminal domain and colocalization with proteins at the centrosomeGabriela Vaz Meirelles
Laboratório Nacional de Biociências, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Proteome Res 9:6298-316. 2010..Human Nek6 was associated to carcinogenesis, but its interacting partners and signaling pathways remain elusive...
- Human NIMA-related kinase 6 is one of the Fe65 WW domain binding proteinsEun Jeoung Lee
School of Science Education, Chungbuk National University, Gaeshin dong, Heungdok gu, Chongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 358:783-8. 2007..Here, we present evidence that human Nek6 is associated with Fe65...
- Role of NEK6 in tumor promoter-induced transformation in JB6 C141 mouse skin epidermal cellsYoung Jin Jeon
The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, Minnesota 55912, USA
J Biol Chem 285:28126-33. 2010b>NEK6 (NIMA-related kinase 6) is a homologue of the Aspergillus nidulans protein NIMA (never in mitosis, gene A). We demonstrate that overexpression of NEK6 induces anchorage-independent transformation of JB6 Cl41 mouse epidermal cells...
- Nek6 mediates human cancer cell transformation and is a potential cancer therapeutic targetRounak Nassirpour
Pfizer Global Research and Development, La Jolla Laboratories, 10724 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Mol Cancer Res 8:717-28. 2010We investigated the role of Nek6, a member of the NIMA-related serine/threonine kinase family, in tumorigenesis...
- The Nek6 and Nek7 protein kinases are required for robust mitotic spindle formation and cytokinesisLaura O'regan
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, Lancaster Road, Leicester LE1 9HN, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 29:3975-90. 2009b>Nek6 and Nek7 are members of the NIMA-related serine/threonine kinase family...
- Caught Nek-ing: cilia and centriolesLynne M Quarmby
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6, Canada
J Cell Sci 118:5161-9. 2005..b>Nek6, Nek7 and Nek9 also seem to regulate mitosis...
- Differential control of the NIMA-related kinases, Nek6 and Nek7, by serum stimulationShigeru Minoguchi
Division of Molecular and Cellular Immunology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, 812 8582, Fukuoka, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 301:899-906. 2003..Among these kinases, Nek6 and Nek7 are structurally related and constitute a subfamily in the NIMA/Nek family, although their functions still ..
- NEK6-mediated phosphorylation of human TPP1 regulates telomere length through telomerase recruitmentYugo Hirai
Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, 606 8501, Japan
Genes Cells 21:874-89. 2016..We show that TPP1 interacts with the cell cycle regulator kinase NEK6 in human cells...
- Proteomic analysis of brown planthopper: application to the study of carbamate toxicityRashmi Sharma
Institute of Insect and Animal Science, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Owashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 34:425-32. 2004..The differential expression of these proteins reflects the overall change in cellular structure and metabolism after insecticide treatment...
- An autoinhibitory tyrosine motif in the cell-cycle-regulated Nek7 kinase is released through binding of Nek9Mark W Richards
Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Mol Cell 36:560-70. 2009Mitosis is controlled by multiple protein kinases, many of which are abnormally expressed in human cancers. Nek2, Nek6, Nek7, and Nek9 are NIMA-related kinases essential for proper mitotic progression...
- hVps15, but not Ca2+/CaM, is required for the activity and regulation of hVps34 in mammalian cellsYing Yan
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Biochem J 417:747-55. 2009..The results of the present study show that, in mammalian cells, hVps34 activity is regulated through its interactions with hVps15, but is independent of Ca2+/CaM...
- Never in mitosis gene A related kinase-6 attenuates pressure overload-induced activation of the protein kinase B pathway and cardiac hypertrophyZhouyan Bian
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei Province, P R China Cardiovascular Research Institute of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei Province, P R China
PLoS ONE 9:e96095. 2014..NIMA (never in mitosis, gene A)-related kinase-6 (Nek6) is a cell cycle regulatory gene that could induce centriole duplication, and control cell proliferation and ..
- The potential role of the NEK6, AURKA, AURKB, and PAK1 genes in adenomatous colorectal polyps and colorectal adenocarcinomaElmas Kasap
Department of Gastroenterology, Medical Faculty, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Tumour Biol 37:3071-80. 2016..PAK1, NEK6, AURKA, AURKB, HDAC1, and HDAC7 were significantly more overexpressed in CRC subjects compared to the controls (p ..
- Structure, function, and evolution of plant NIMA-related kinases: implication for phosphorylation-dependent microtubule regulationShogo Takatani
Division of Bioscience, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, Tsushimanaka 3 1 1, Okayama, 700 8530, Japan
J Plant Res 128:875-91. 2015..Recent studies revealed that NEK6 of Arabidopsis thaliana regulates cell expansion and morphogenesis through β-tubulin phosphorylation and ..
- Never in mitosis gene A-related kinase 6 and aurora kinase A: New gene biomarkers in the conversion from ulcerative colitis to colorectal cancerEmre Gerçeker
Department of Gastroenterology, Medical Faculty, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Oncol Rep 34:1905-14. 2015..In UC and CRC groups, a significantly higher overexpression of the NEK6 and AURKA genes compared to the control group was identified...
- Hsp72 is targeted to the mitotic spindle by Nek6 to promote K-fiber assembly and mitotic progressionLaura O'regan
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 9HN, England, UK
J Cell Biol 209:349-58. 2015..Hsp72 to the mitotic spindle is dependent on phosphorylation at Thr-66 within its nucleotide-binding domain by the Nek6 kinase. Phosphorylated Hsp72 concentrates on spindle poles and sites of MT-kinetochore attachment...
- The cdr2(+) gene encodes a regulator of G2/M progression and cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombeC S Breeding
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, 37212, USA
Mol Biol Cell 9:3399-415. 1998..Defects in cytokinesis are also generated by the overproduction of Cdr2p, but these defects are independent of wee1(+), suggesting that cdr2(+) encodes a second activity involved in cytokinesis...
- A second gene encoding a putative serine/threonine protein kinase which enhances spermine uptake in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeT Nozaki
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 228:452-8. 1996..The results indicate that polyamine transport of yeast is regulated by multiple phosphorylation/dephosphorylation pathways...
- Nek9 phosphorylation of NEDD1/GCP-WD contributes to Plk1 control of γ-tubulin recruitment to the mitotic centrosomeSara Sdelci
Cell Signaling Research Group, Molecular Medicine Program, Institute for Research in Biomedicine IRB Barcelona, Baldiri i Reixac, 10 12, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Curr Biol 22:1516-23. 2012..requires its activation by Plk1-dependent phosphorylation but is independent from the downstream related kinases Nek6 and Nek7...
- NIMA-related kinases regulate directional cell growth and organ development through microtubule function in Arabidopsis thalianaHiroyasu Motose
Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Plant Signal Behav 7:1552-5. 2012NIMA-related kinase 6 (NEK6) regulates cellular expansion and morphogenesis through microtubule organizaiton in Arabidopsis thaliana...
- The inhibition of Nek6 function sensitizes human cancer cells to premature senescence upon serum reduction or anticancer drug treatmentHye Jin Jee
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Dong A University, Busan 602 714, South Korea
Cancer Lett 335:175-82. 2013..In this paper, we show that the inhibition of Nek6 expression by Nek6 siRNA-mediated knockdown or the overexpression of a dominant negative form of Nek6 (Nek6KM) ..
- C. elegans NIMA-related kinases NEKL-2 and NEKL-3 are required for the completion of moltingJohn Yochem
Department of Molecular Biology, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, United States Department of Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development and the Developmental Biology Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, United States
Dev Biol 398:255-66. 2015..NEKL-3 is highly similar to the mammalian NEK kinase family members NEK6 and NEK7...
- The ukb1 gene encodes a putative protein kinase required for bud site selection and pathogenicity in Ustilago maydisR B Abramovitch
Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of British Columbia, 237 6174 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Fungal Genet Biol 37:98-108. 2002..In addition, the ukb1 gene influenced the ability of colonies to form aerial mycelia in response to environmental stimuli. Overall, the discovery of ukb1 reinforces the connection between morphogenesis and pathogenesis in U. maydis...
- Protein partners of KCTD proteins provide insights about their functional roles in cell differentiation and vertebrate developmentMikhail Skoblov
Research Center for Medical Genetics RAMS, Moscow, Russian Federation, Russia
Bioessays 35:586-96. 2013..predict that KCTD20 participates in the AKT-mTOR-p70 S6k signaling cascade, KCTD5 plays a role in cytokinesis in a NEK6 and ch-TOG-dependent manner, KCTD10 regulates the RhoA/RhoB pathway...
- Structural analysis of the regulation of the DYNLL/LC8 binding to Nek9 by phosphorylationPablo Gallego
Structural Biology Unit, Institut de Biotecnologia i Biomedicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
J Biol Chem 288:12283-94. 2013The NIMA family protein kinases Nek9/Nercc1, Nek6, and Nek7 constitute a signaling module activated in early mitosis involved in the control of spindle organization...
- PDK2: the missing piece in the receptor tyrosine kinase signaling pathway puzzleLily Q Dong
Dept of Cellular and Structural Biology, Univ of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E187-96. 2005..integrin-linked kinase (ILK), p38 MAP kinase, protein kinase Calpha (PKCalpha), PKCbeta, the NIMA-related kinase-6 (NEK6), the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR), the double-stranded DNA-dependent protein kinase (DNK-PK), and the ..
- Cell cycle regulation by the NEK family of protein kinasesAndrew M Fry
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, Lancaster Road, Leicester LE1 9HN, UK
J Cell Sci 125:4423-33. 2012..In particular, NEK2, NEK6, NEK7 and NEK9 contribute to the establishment of the microtubule-based mitotic spindle, whereas NEK1, NEK10 and ..
- HcSTK, a Caenorhabditis elegans PAR-1 homologue from the parasitic nematode, Haemonchus contortusSia Nikolaou
Victorian Institute of Animal Science, Agriculture Victoria, 475 Mickleham Road, Attwood, Victoria 3049, Australia
Int J Parasitol 32:749-58. 2002..g. humans and rodents), invertebrates (e.g. insects and C. elegans) and yeast, suggests that HcSTK may be involved in a conserved signal transduction pathway...
- Identification by high-throughput screening of viridin analogs as biochemical and cell-based inhibitors of the cell cycle-regulated nek2 kinaseDaniel G Hayward
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
J Biomol Screen 15:918-27. 2010..The viridin-like compounds were >70-fold selective for Nek2 over Nek6 and Nek7 and inhibited the growth of human tumor cell lines at concentrations consistent with their biochemical ..
- RAF kinase inhibitory protein (RKIP) modulates cell cycle kinetics and motilityFahd Al-Mulla
Department of Pathology, University of Kuwait, Faculty of Medicine, Health Sciences Center, 13110, Kuwait
Mol Biosyst 7:928-41. 2011..We show that RKIP depletion induces the expression of NEK6, a molecule known to enhance G2/M transition, and down-regulates G2/M checkpoint molecules like Aurora B, cyclin G1 ..
- Nek7 kinase targeting leads to early mortality, cytokinesis disturbance and polyploidyH Salem
The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Oncogene 29:4046-57. 2010..Reduction in the activity of Nek7 or its close paralog, Nek6, has previously been shown to arrest cells in mitosis, mainly at metaphase...
- The NIMA-family kinase Nek6 phosphorylates the kinesin Eg5 at a novel site necessary for mitotic spindle formationJoseph Rapley
Department of Molecular Biology and Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital and Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Cell Sci 121:3912-21. 2008b>Nek6 and Nercc1 (also known as Nek9) belong to the NIMA family of protein kinases. Nercc1 is activated in mitosis, whereupon it binds, phosphorylates and activates Nek6...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of a putative protein kinase gene from the thermophilic fungus Thermomyces lanuginosusDuo Chuan Li
Department of Environmental Biology, Shandong Agricultural University, Taian, Shandong, People s Republic of China
DNA Seq 18:423-33. 2007..The putative protein kinase contained three arginine/serine-rich (SR) regions and two transmembrane domains. These showed that it might be a novel putative serine-threonine protein kinase...
- NIMA-related kinase NEK6 affects plant growth and stress response in ArabidopsisBo Zhang
State Key Lab of Plant Genomics, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Plant J 68:830-43. 2011..In Arabidopsis, NEK6 is involved in the regulation of epidermal cell morphogenesis...
- Linking Nek6 to p53-induced senescenceMin Jean Yin
Pfizer Worldwide Research and Development San Diego, CA USA
Cell Cycle 10:23-2. 2011..Comment on: Jee HJ, et al. Cell Cycle 2010; 9:4703-10...
- NEK7 is essential for centriole duplication and centrosomal accumulation of pericentriolar material proteins in interphase cellsSunghwan Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 747, Korea
J Cell Sci 124:3760-70. 2011..We also observed extra centriole formation in centrosome-directed NEK6-expressing cells, suggesting that NEK6 and NEK7 might share biological activities that induce centriole duplication...
- A role for Nek6 kinase activity in preventing senescence?Andrew M Fry
Cell Cycle 10:19-20. 2011
- Human Nek6 is a monomeric mostly globular kinase with an unfolded short N-terminal domainGabriela V Meirelles
Laboratório Nacional de Biociências, Centro Nacional de Pesquisa em Energia e Materiais, Campinas, SP, Brazil
BMC Struct Biol 11:12. 2011..Human Nek6, -7 and -9 are involved in the control of mitotic spindle formation, acting together in a mitotic kinase cascade, ..
- DYNLL/LC8 protein controls signal transduction through the Nek9/Nek6 signaling module by regulating Nek6 binding to Nek9Laura Regué
Cell Signaling Group, Molecular Medicine Program, Institute for Research in Biomedicine IRB Barcelona, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
J Biol Chem 286:18118-29. 2011The NIMA family protein kinases Nek9/Nercc1 and the highly similar Nek6 and Nek7 form a signaling module activated in mitosis, when they are involved in the control of spindle organization and function...
- Nek6 suppresses the premature senescence of human cancer cells induced by camptothecin and doxorubicin treatmentHye Jin Jee
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Dong A University, Busan, South Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 408:669-73. 2011Cellular senescence plays an important role in tumor suppression. The mitotic kinase Nek6 has recently been shown to be overexpressed in various cancers and has been implicated in tumorigenesis...
- NIMA-related kinases 6, 4, and 5 interact with each other to regulate microtubule organization during epidermal cell expansion in Arabidopsis thalianaHiroyasu Motose
Division of Bioscience, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, Okayama 700 8530, Japan
Plant J 67:993-1005. 2011NimA-related kinase 6 (NEK6) has been implicated in microtubule regulation to suppress the ectopic outgrowth of epidermal cells; however, its molecular functions remain to be elucidated...
- The SINA E3 ligase OsDIS1 negatively regulates drought response in riceYuese Ning
Hunan Provincial Key Laboratory of Crop Germplasm Innovation and Utilization, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha Hunan 410128, China
Plant Physiol 157:242-55. 2011..Together, these results demonstrate that OsDIS1 plays a negative role in drought stress tolerance through transcriptional regulation of diverse stress-related genes and possibly through posttranslational regulation of OsNek6 in rice...
- Structure and genomic sequence of the myotonic dystrophy (DM kinase) geneM S Mahadevan
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 2:299-304. 1993....
- The Cbk1p pathway is important for polarized cell growth and cell separation in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeS Bidlingmaier
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8103, USA
Mol Cell Biol 21:2449-62. 2001..Many Cbk1-related kinases have been shown to regulate cellular morphology...
- Isolation and characterization of two evolutionarily conserved murine kinases (Nek6 and nek7) related to the fungal mitotic regulator, NIMAM Kandli
Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, 52900, Israel
Genomics 68:187-96. 2000..We describe here the isolation of two novel murine protein kinase genes, designated nek6 and nek7, which are highly similar to each other (87% amino acid identity in the predicted kinase domain)...
- Assignment of NEK6, a NIMA-related gene, to human chromosome 9q33. 3-->q34.11 by radiation hybrid mappingM Z Li
Institute of Genetics, Fudan University, Shanghai, P R China
Cytogenet Cell Genet 87:271-2. 1999
- Red1p, a MEK1-dependent phosphoprotein that physically interacts with Hop1p during meiosis in yeastT de los Santos
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Institute for Cell and Developmental Biology, SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5215, USA
J Biol Chem 274:1783-90. 1999..Thus, MEK1-dependent phosphorylation of Red1p facilitates the formation of Hop1p/Red1p hetero-oligomers, thereby enabling the formation of functional AEs...
- The ltk gene family encodes novel receptor-like kinases with temporal expression in developing maize endospermZ Li
Department of Biological Sciences, Lehman College and The Graduate School and University Center, City University of New York, Bronx 10468, USA
Plant Mol Biol 37:749-61. 1998..These results suggest that members of the ltk gene family mediate signals associated with seed development and maturation...
- The control of morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by Elm1 kinase is responsive to RAS/cAMP pathway activity and tryptophan availabilityJ M Garrett
Department of Biology, Hamilton College, Clinton, NY 13323, USA
Mol Microbiol 26:809-20. 1997..A 'signal integration' model for the complex relationship of Elm1 and the RAS/cAMP pathway in controlling morphogenesis in response to nutrients is proposed...
- Cloning and characterization of a putative human serine/threonine protein kinase transcriptionally modified during anisotonic and isotonic alterations of cell volumeS Waldegger
Physiologisches Institut I der Eberhard Karls Universität, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:4440-5. 1997..The putative serine/threonine protein kinase h-sgk may provide a functional link between the cellular hydration state and metabolic control...
- A putative Plasmodium falciparum exported serine/threonine protein kinaseJ F Kun
Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health and Nutrition, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Australia Qld
Mol Biochem Parasitol 85:41-51. 1997..This is the first putative protein kinase of P. falciparum to be exported from the parasite into its host cell...
- Cloning and characterization of a novel protein kinase that impairs osteoblast differentiation in vitroA E Kearns
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism and Nutrition, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Biol Chem 276:42213-8. 2001..This novel kinase, therefore, is likely to play an important regulatory role in attenuating the program of osteoblast differentiation...
- CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in Arabidopsis, encodes a member of the raf family of protein kinasesJ J Kieber
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6018
Cell 72:427-41. 1993..The CTR1 gene has been cloned, and the DNA sequences of four mutant alleles were determined. The gene encodes a putative serine/threonine protein kinase that is most closely related to the Raf protein kinase family...
- The YAL017 gene on the left arm of chromosome I of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a putative serine/threonine protein kinaseM W Clark
Biology Department, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Yeast 9:543-9. 1993..Gene disruption of YAL017 indicates that it is non-essential for growth on glucose...
- Cloning of a novel putative protein kinase having a leucine zipper domain from human brainU R Reddy
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 202:613-20. 1994..Steady-state mRNA levels for zpk are high in human brain and kidney. Further studies are required to evaluate the role of zpk in neuronal differentiation...
- Identification and characterization of DBK, a novel putative serine/threonine protein kinase from human endothelial cellsW Chu
Department of Inflammation Autoimmune Diseases, Hoffmann La Roche Inc, Roche Research Center, Nutley NJ 07110 1199
Eur J Biochem 225:695-702. 1994..Using somatic cell hybrids, the DBK gene has been localized to human chromosome 14. The ubiquitous expression and high degree of conservation of DBK across species suggest that DBK may play an important role in cell functions...
- The Doa locus encodes a member of a new protein kinase family and is essential for eye and embryonic development in Drosophila melanogasterB Yun
Waksman Institute, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 0759
Genes Dev 8:1160-73. 1994..These results demonstrate that the kinase encoded by Doa is required at multiple stages of development, for both differentiation and maintenance of specific cell types...
- Cloning of the gene encoding a putative serine/threonine protein kinase which enhances spermine uptake in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeY Kakinuma
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 216:985-92. 1995..The results suggest that spermine uptake by this organism is probably regulated by phosphorylation and dephosphorylation...
- A putative serine/threonine protein kinase encoded by the segment-polarity fused gene of DrosophilaT Preat
Centre de Génétique Moléculaire du CNRS, Universite P et M Curie, Gif sur Yvette, France
Nature 347:87-9. 1990..This result provides further insight into segment-polarity interactions and their role in pattern formation...
- Five novel elements involved in the regulation of mitosis in fission yeastE Warbrick
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, UK
Mol Gen Genet 232:440-6. 1992....
- Isolation and characterization of a Paramecium cDNA clone encoding a putative serine/threonine protein kinaseSatoru Wada
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Aoba Aramaki, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Genetica 131:307-14. 2007..Comparisons of expression level have shown that pcstk1 is expressed equally in cells at different stages (sexual and asexual). We discussed the possibility, as in other organisms, that a family of MAP kinase genes exists in P. caudatum...
- Nek6 is involved in G2/M phase cell cycle arrest through DNA damage-induced phosphorylationMin Young Lee
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Dong A University, South Korea
Cell Cycle 7:2705-9. 2008b>Nek6 is a recently identified NIMA-related kinase that is required for mitotic cell cycle progression. In the present study, we examined the role of Nek6 in the DNA damage response...
- Cloning and characterization of an acyl-CoA-dependent diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 (DGAT1) gene from Tropaeolum majus, and a study of the functional motifs of the DGAT protein using site-directed mutagenesis to modify enzyme activity and oil contentJingyu Xu
National Research Council of Canada, Plant Biotechnology Institute, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Canada
Plant Biotechnol J 6:799-818. 2008..Thus, alteration of this putative serine/threonine protein kinase site can be exploited to enhance DGAT1 activity, and expression of mutated DGAT1 can be used to enhance oil content...
- The future of RIP2/RICK/CARDIAK as a biomarker of the inflammatory response to infectionMichelle L McCully
Departments of Microbiology and Immunology and Medicine, The FOCIS Centre for Clinical Immunology and Immunotherapeutics, Robarts Research Institute, The University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada N6A 5K8
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 8:257-61. 2008....
- Cloning and expression analyses of sucrose non-fermenting-1-related kinase 1 (SnRK1b) gene during development of sorghum and maize endosperm and its implicated role in sugar-to-starch metabolic transitionMukesh Jain
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 0680, USA
Physiol Plant 134:161-73. 2008..seed development. However, discordant in situ hybridization and immunolocalization data indicated that the expression of SbSnRK1b homologue in maize is under posttranscriptional control during endosperm development...
- A NIMA-related protein kinase suppresses ectopic outgrowth of epidermal cells through its kinase activity and the association with microtubulesHiroyasu Motose
Department of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 3 8 1 Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8902, Japan
Plant J 54:829-44. 2008..IBO1 is identical to NEK6, which encodes a Never In Mitosis A (NIMA)-related protein kinase (Nek) with sequence similarity to Neks involved ..
- Armadillo repeat-containing kinesins and a NIMA-related kinase are required for epidermal-cell morphogenesis in ArabidopsisTatsuya Sakai
RIKEN Plant Science Center, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Tsurumi ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230 0045, Japan
Plant J 53:157-71. 2008..We further reveal that a NIMA-related protein kinase, NEK6, binds to the ARK family proteins and has pleiotropic effects on epidermal-cell morphogenesis, suggesting that NEK6 ..
- Mitotic regulation by NIMA-related kinasesLaura O'regan
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Cell Div 2:25. 2007..Of these, there is now substantial evidence that Nek2, Nek6, Nek7 and Nek9 also regulate mitotic events...
- A putative serine/threonine protein kinase gene on chromosome III of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeC Wilson
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Yeast 8:71-7. 1992..Reduced stringency hybridizations revealed the presence of another genomic sequence with high homology to the carboxy-terminal catalytic domain of KIN82...
- Integrative approach for differentially overexpressed genes in gastric cancer by combining large-scale gene expression profiling and network analysisA Takeno
Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Br J Cancer 99:1307-15. 2008..as the hub, and extracted seven candidates for gastric carcinogenesis (MMP7, SPARC, SOD2, INHBA, IGFBP7, NEK6, LUM). They were classified into two groups based on the correlation between expression level and stage...
- Genome of invertebrate iridescent virus type 3 (mosquito iridescent virus)Gustavo Delhon
Plum Island Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Greenport, New York 11944, USA
J Virol 80:8439-49. 2006....
- Identification and characterization of Crumbs homolog 2 gene at human chromosome 9q33.3Masuko Katoh
M and M Medical BioInformatics, Narashino 275 0022, Japan
Int J Oncol 24:743-9. 2004..elegans crb. Comparative genomics revealed that CRB2-KIAA1608-LHX2-NEK6 locus at human chromosome 9q33.3 and CRB1-MGC27044-LHX9-NEK7 locus at human chromosome 1q31...
- The serine/threonine kinase Nek6 is required for cell cycle progression through mitosisMin Jean Yin
SUGEN, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080 4811, USA
J Biol Chem 278:52454-60. 2003..Here, we demonstrate that human NIMA-related kinase 6 (Nek6) is required for mitotic progression of human cells. Nek6 is phosphorylated and activated during M phase...
- The related murine kinases, Nek6 and Nek7, display distinct patterns of expressionErez Feige
Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Mech Dev 110:219-23. 2002b>Nek6 and Nek7 are evolutionarily conserved murine kinases structurally related to the Aspergillus mitotic-regulator NIMA (Genomics 68 (2000) 187)...
- Identification and assignment of the human NIMA-related protein kinase 7 gene (NEK7) to human chromosome 1q31.3M Kimura
Department of Molecular Pathobiochemistry, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
Cytogenet Cell Genet 94:33-8. 2001..Its open reading frame encodes a 302-amino acid protein and is 77% identical to human NEK6 protein. Phylogenetic analysis suggests that NEK6, NEK7, and Caenorhabditis elegans F19H6...
- Protein kinases: getting NEKed for S6K activationD J Templeton
Department of Pathology, University of Virginia Medical School, PO Box 800214, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0214, USA
Curr Biol 11:R596-9. 2001The 70/85 kDa ribosomal protein S6 kinase is regulated through the concerted actions of multiple phosphatases and kinases. A newly identified S6 kinase kinase, NEK6, appears to provide the penultimate activation step.
- Identification of the NIMA family kinases NEK6/7 as regulators of the p70 ribosomal S6 kinaseC Belham
Diabetes Unit, Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Biol 11:1155-67. 2001..g.,Thr412 in p70 S6 kinase (alpha 1). Phosphorylation of the former site is catalyzed by PDK1, whereas the kinase responsible for the phosphorylation of the latter site is not known...