Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NEIL2
Description: nei like DNA glycosylase 2
Alias: NEH2, NEI2, endonuclease 8-like 2, DNA glycosylase/AP lyase Neil2, DNA-(apurinic or apyrimidinic site) lyase Neil2, nei endonuclease VIII-like 2, nei homolog 2, nei-like protein 2
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Acetylation of the human DNA glycosylase NEIL2 and inhibition of its activityKishor K Bhakat
Sealy Center for Molecular Science and Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1079, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:3033-9. 2004..coactivator p300 stably interacts with, and acetylates, the recently discovered human DNA glycosylase NEIL2, involved in the repair of oxidized bases both in vivo and in vitro...
- Functional variants of the NEIL1 and NEIL2 genes and risk and progression of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity and oropharynxXiadong Zhai
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:4345-52. 2008Human DNA glycosylases NEIL1 and NEIL2 participate in oxidized base excision repair and protect cells from DNA damage...
- Identification and characterization of a novel human DNA glycosylase for repair of cytosine-derived lesionsTapas K Hazra
Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, Sealy Center for Molecular Science, University of Texas Medical Branch, 6 136 Medical Research Building, Rte 1079, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Biol Chem 277:30417-20. 2002..A. 99, 3523-3528). Here we report characterization of the second protein, originally named NEH2 and now renamed NEIL2 (Nei-like). The 37-kDa wild-type NEIL2 expressed in and purified from E...
- Repair of oxidized bases in DNA bubble structures by human DNA glycosylases NEIL1 and NEIL2Hong Dou
Sealy Center for Molecular Science and Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Biol Chem 278:49679-84. 2003..The newly discovered human DNA glycosylases, NEIL1 and NEIL2, are distinct in structural features and reaction mechanism from the previously characterized NTH1 and OGG1 but ..
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms 5' upstream the coding region of the NEIL2 gene influence gene transcription levels and alter levels of genetic damageCarla J Kinslow
Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1110, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 47:923-32. 2008b>NEIL2 (EC 220.127.116.11), a mammalian DNA glycosylase and ortholog of the bacterial Fpg/Nei, excises oxidized DNA lesions from bubble or single-stranded structures, suggesting its involvement in transcription-coupled DNA repair...
- Increased risk of lung cancer associated with a functionally impaired polymorphic variant of the human DNA glycosylase NEIL2Sanjib Dey
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 11:570-8. 2012Human NEIL2, one of five oxidized base-specific DNA glycosylases, is unique in preferentially repairing oxidative damage in transcribed genes...
- Keap1 is a redox-regulated substrate adaptor protein for a Cul3-dependent ubiquitin ligase complexDonna D Zhang
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri Columbia, M121 Medical Sciences Building, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:10941-53. 2004..E3 ubiquitin ligase complex with Cul3 and Rbx1 that targets multiple lysine residues located in the N-terminal Neh2 domain of Nrf2 for ubiquitin conjugation both in vivo and in vitro...
- Structural analysis of the complex of Keap1 with a prothymosin alpha peptideBalasundaram Padmanabhan
Genomic Sciences Center, Yokohama Institute, RIKEN, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Tsurumi, Yokohama 230 0045, Japan
Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 64:233-8. 2008..which is formed by the double-glycine repeat and C-terminal region domains (Keap1-DC), interacts directly with the Neh2 domain of Nrf2...
- Nucleotide, cytogenetic and expression impact of the human chromosome 8p23.1 inversion polymorphismNina Bosch
Genetic Causes of Disease Group, Genes and Disease Programme Center for Genomic Regulation CRG UPF, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
PLoS ONE 4:e8269. 2009..The identification of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) tightly linked to the genomic orientation of a given region should be useful to indirectly evaluate the genotypes of large genomic orientations in the individuals...
- Discovery of the negative regulator of Nrf2, Keap1: a historical overviewKen Itoh
Department of Stress Response Science, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Antioxid Redox Signal 13:1665-78. 2010..Keap1 suppresses Nrf2 activity by specifically binding to its evolutionarily conserved N-terminal Neh2 regulatory domain...
- Identification of the interactive interface and phylogenic conservation of the Nrf2-Keap1 systemMakoto Kobayashi
The Center for Tsukuba Advanced Research Alliance and Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba 305 8577, Japan
Genes Cells 7:807-20. 2002..To gain an insight into our present enigma as to how cells receive oxidative and electrophilic signals and transduce them to Nrf2, we have developed a zebrafish model system for molecular toxicological studies...
- AP endonuclease-independent DNA base excision repair in human cellsLee Wiederhold
Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555, USA
Mol Cell 15:209-20. 2004..The recently discovered mammalian DNA glycosylase/AP lyases, NEIL1 and NEIL2, unlike the previously characterized OGG1 and NTH1, generate DNA strand breaks with 3' phosphate termini...
- Rapid recognition of aberrant dHPLC elution profiles using the Transgenomic Navigator softwareJames Colley
Institute of Medical Genetics, Cardiff University, Health Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
Hum Mutat 26:165. 2005..We used dHPLC to identify germline variants in MSH6, NEIL2, NEIL3, and OGG1 in 172 patients with multiple colorectal adenomas...
- Oxidative DNA damage repair in mammalian cells: a new perspectiveTapas K Hazra
Sealy Center for Molecular Science and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 6 136 Medical Research Building, Route 1079, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 6:470-80. 2007....
- Stimulation of NEIL2-mediated oxidized base excision repair via YB-1 interaction during oxidative stressSoumita Das
Sealy Center for Molecular Medicine and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Biol Chem 282:28474-84. 2007The recently characterized enzyme NEIL2 (Nei-like-2), one of the four oxidized base-specific DNA glycosylases (OGG1, NTH1, NEIL1, and NEIL2) in mammalian cells, has poor base excision activity from duplex DNA...
- Deficiency of the oxidative damage-specific DNA glycosylase NEIL1 leads to reduced germinal center B cell expansionHiromi Mori
Laboratory for Immune Diversity, Research Center for Allergy and Immunology, RIKEN Yokohama Institute, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Tsurumi, Yokohama 230 0045, Japan
DNA Repair (Amst) 8:1328-32. 2009Mammalian cells possess multiple DNA glycosylases, including OGG1, NTH1, NEIL1, NEIL2 and NEIL3, for the repair of oxidative DNA damage...
- Analysis of DNA repair gene polymorphisms and survival in low-grade and anaplastic gliomasShala Ghaderi Berntsson
Department of Neuroscience, Neurology, University Hospital, 75185 Uppsala, Sweden
J Neurooncol 105:531-8. 2011..In this dataset, eight gene variants mapping to five different DNA repair genes (ATM, NEIL1, NEIL2, ERCC6 and RPA4) which were associated with survival...
- E-cadherin inhibits nuclear accumulation of Nrf2: implications for chemoresistance of cancer cellsWon Dong Kim
College of Pharmacy and Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Cell Sci 125:1284-95. 2012..between E-cadherin and Nrf2: E-cadherin bound the C-terminus of Nrf2, but not its N-terminus, which comprises the Neh2 domain responsible for phosphorylation of Ser40...
- Down-regulation of 8-oxoguanine DNA glycosylase 1 expression in the airway epithelium ameliorates allergic lung inflammationAttila Bacsi
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 12:18-26. 2013..Decreased expression of the Nei-like glycosylases Neil1 and Neil2 that preferentially excise ring-opened purines and 5-hydroxyuracil, respectively, did not alter the above ..
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia interval on chromosome 8p23.1 characterized by genetics and protein interaction networksMauro Longoni
Pediatric Surgical Research Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Am J Med Genet A 158:3148-58. 2012..1 hotspot and products of previously known CDH causing genes, implicated GATA4, NEIL2, and SOX7 in diaphragmatic defects...
- DNA glycosylases search for and remove oxidized DNA basesSusan S Wallace
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The Markey Center for Molecular Genetics, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont
Environ Mol Mutagen 54:691-704. 2013..Also single-molecule approaches show that DNA glycosylases search for their substrates in a sea of undamaged DNA by using a wedge residue that is inserted into the DNA helix to probe for the presence of damage...
- The contribution of Nth and Nei DNA glycosylases to mutagenesis in Mycobacterium smegmatisNabiela Moolla
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical TB Research, School of Pathology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand and the National Health Laboratory Service, P O Box 1038, Johannesburg 2000, South Africa
DNA Repair (Amst) 13:32-41. 2014..smegmatis (Msm), which retains a single nth homologue and duplications of the Fpg (fpg1 and fpg2) and Nei (nei1 and nei2) homologues...
- DNA glycosylases involved in base excision repair may be associated with cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriersAna Osorio
Human Genetics Group, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain Biomedical Network on Rare Diseases CIBERER, Madrid, Spain
PLoS Genet 10:e1004256. 2014..The strongest evidence was for rs1466785 in the NEIL2 (endonuclease VIII-like 2) gene (HR: 1.09, 95% CI (1.03-1.16), p = 2...
- Innate inflammation induced by the 8-oxoguanine DNA glycosylase-1-KRAS-NF-κB pathwayLeopoldo Aguilera-Aguirre
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555
J Immunol 193:4643-53. 2014..e., NEIL1 and NEIL2) had no significant effect...
- The NEIL glycosylases remove oxidized guanine lesions from telomeric and promoter quadruplex DNA structuresJia Zhou
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 43:4039-54. 2015..However, NEIL1, NEIL2 and NEIL3 remove hydantoins from telomeric quadruplexes formed by five TTAGGG repeats much more rapidly than the ..
- Neil2-null Mice Accumulate Oxidized DNA Bases in the Transcriptionally Active Sequences of the Genome and Are Susceptible to Innate InflammationAnirban Chakraborty
From the Department of Internal Medicine, Sealy Center for Molecular Medicine
J Biol Chem 290:24636-48. 2015..Here, we report the generation and characterization of mice lacking Neil2 (Nei-like 2)...
- Accelerating the Conformational Sampling of Intrinsically Disordered ProteinsTrang Nhu Do
Department of Chemistry and Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
J Chem Theory Comput 10:5081-94. 2014..The total simulation time was over 10 μs, and a 20-mer peptide derived from the Neh2 domain of the Nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) protein was simulated...
- Genomic landscape of DNA repair genes in cancerYoung Kwang Chae
Northwestern Medicine Developmental Therapeutics Institute, Chicago, IL, USA
Oncotarget 7:23312-21. 2016..and CNV frequencies offer insights into which genes may play tumor suppressive or oncogenic roles, such as NEIL2 and RRM2B, respectively...
- Efficient and Reliable Production of Vectors for the Study of the Repair, Mutagenesis, and Phenotypic Consequences of Defined DNA Damage Lesions in Mammalian CellsLucy Petrova
Program in Genetics and Molecular Biology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 11:e0158581. 2016..5-OHU induced sustained oncogenic signaling in Neil1-/-Neil2-/- mouse cells...
- Mapping of the GATA4, NEIL2, FDFT1 genes and CTSB-associated microsatellites to the centromeric region of BTA8A Plis-Finarov
Institute of Animal Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, The Volcani Center, Bet Dagan, Israel
Anim Genet 35:154-5. 2004
- Expression of the oxidative base excision repair enzymes is not induced in TK6 human lymphoblastoid cells after low doses of ionizing radiationM Inoue
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The Markey Center for Molecular Genetics, The University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405 0068, USA
Radiat Res 161:409-17. 2004..No induction at the transcriptional level of any of the base excision repair genes, NTH1 (NTHL1), OGG1, NEIL1, NEIL2, NEIL3, APE1, POLB, or accessory protein genes, LIG3, XRCC1 or XPG, was found at gamma-radiation doses ranging ..
- Molecular mechanism activating Nrf2-Keap1 pathway in regulation of adaptive response to electrophilesKen Itoh
JST ERATO Environmental Response Project, Center for TARA and Institute for Basic Medical Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba 305 8577, Japan
Free Radic Biol Med 36:1208-13. 2004..activity led to the identification of Keap1, which represses Nrf2 activity by directly binding to the N-terminal Neh2 domain...
- Evolutionary conserved N-terminal domain of Nrf2 is essential for the Keap1-mediated degradation of the protein by proteasomeYasutake Katoh
Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba 305 8577, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 433:342-50. 2005..This process is dependent on Keap1, to which Nrf2 binds through the Neh2 domain...
- Purification and characterization of NEIL1 and NEIL2, members of a distinct family of mammalian DNA glycosylases for repair of oxidized basesTapas K Hazra
Sealy Center for Molecular Science and Department of HBC and G, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Methods Enzymol 408:33-48. 2006NEIL1 and NEIL2 were newly discovered as mammalian orthologs of Escherichia coli Nei and Fpg, oxidized base-specific DNA glycosylases...
- Role of human DNA glycosylase Nei-like 2 (NEIL2) and single strand break repair protein polynucleotide kinase 3'-phosphatase in maintenance of mitochondrial genomeSanti M Mandal
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Biol Chem 287:2819-29. 2012..Here we show the presence of the oxidized base-specific DNA glycosylase Nei-like 2 (NEIL2) and the DNA end-processing enzyme polynucleotide kinase 3'-phosphatase (PNKP) in purified human mitochondrial ..
- Release from quiescence stimulates the expression of human NEIL3 under the control of the Ras dependent ERK-MAP kinase pathwayChristine Gran Neurauter
Department of Microbiology, University of Oslo, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, Norway
DNA Repair (Amst) 11:401-9. 2012..BER is initiated by lesion-specific DNA glycosylases that recognize and remove the damaged base. NEIL1, NEIL2 and NEIL3 are three mammalian members of the Fpg/Nei DNA glycosylase family with similar enzymatic properties...
- Association of polymorphisms in oxidative stress genes with clinical outcomes for bladder cancer treated with Bacillus Calmette-GuérinHua Wei
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38533. 2012..05). Six SNPs, including five in NEIL2 gene from the overall and BCG group remained significantly associated with recurrence after multiple comparison ..
- Targeting Nrf2-mediated gene transcription by extremely potent synthetic triterpenoids attenuate dopaminergic neurotoxicity in the MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's diseaseNavneet Ammal Kaidery
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Georgia Health Sciences University, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 18:139-57. 2013..Nuclear factor E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) is a redox-sensitive transcription factor that upregulates a battery of antioxidant response element (ARE)-driven antioxidative and cytoprotective genes that defend against oxidative stress...
- Neil3, the final frontier for the DNA glycosylases that recognize oxidative damageMinmin Liu
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405 0086, USA
Mutat Res 743:4-11. 2013..Endonuclease VIII like proteins (Neil1, Neil2 and Neil3) are found in vertebrate genomes and are homologous to the well-characterized bacterial DNA glycosylases,..
- Seaweed extracts and unsaturated fatty acid constituents from the green alga Ulva lactuca as activators of the cytoprotective Nrf2-ARE pathwayRui Wang
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 57:141-53. 2013..Collectively, this study provides new insight into why consumption of dietary seaweed may have health benefits, and the identified compounds add to the list of chemopreventive dietary unsaturated fatty acids...
- Prenatal diagnosis of two fetuses with deletions of 8p23.1, critical region for congenital diaphragmatic hernia and heart defectsElisabeth A Keitges
Department of Cytogenetics, Laboratory Corporation of America Dynacare, Seattle, WA 98122, USA
Am J Med Genet A 161:1755-8. 2013..Microarray analysis detected a 127-kb deletion which included the GATA4 and NEIL2 genes which was inherited from the mother...
- Human NEIL3 is mainly a monofunctional DNA glycosylase removing spiroimindiohydantoin and guanidinohydantoinSilje Z Krokeide
Department of Microbiology, University of Oslo, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, PO Box 4950, Nydalen, NO 0424 Oslo, Norway
DNA Repair (Amst) 12:1159-64. 2013..Unlike NEIL1 and NEIL2, which possess a β,δ-elimination activity, NEIL3 mainly incised damaged DNA by β-elimination...
- Neil3 and NEIL1 DNA glycosylases remove oxidative damages from quadruplex DNA and exhibit preferences for lesions in the telomeric sequence contextJia Zhou
From the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The Markey Center for Molecular Genetics, The University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405 0068 and
J Biol Chem 288:27263-72. 2013..We have tested the base excision activities of five mammalian DNA glycosylases (NEIL1, NEIL2, mNeil3, NTH1, and OGG1) on these lesion-containing quadruplex substrates and found that only mNeil3 had excision ..
- Genetic variation in the base excision repair pathway, environmental risk factors, and colorectal adenoma riskRoman Corral
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of USC, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e71211. 2013..Significant associations were also observed between SNPs in the NEIL2 gene and rectal adenoma risk. Three SNPS modified the effect of smoking (MUTYH interaction p = 0...
- Structural investigation of a viral ortholog of human NEIL2/3 DNA glycosylasesAishwarya Prakash
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The Markey Center for Molecular Genetics, University of Vermont, Stafford Hall, 95 Carrigan Drive, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, United States
DNA Repair (Amst) 12:1062-71. 2013..Here we present the first crystal structure of a viral ortholog of the human NEIL2/NEIL3 proteins, Mimivirus Nei2 (MvNei2), determined at 2.04Å resolution...
- Keap1 represses nuclear activation of antioxidant responsive elements by Nrf2 through binding to the amino-terminal Neh2 domainK Itoh
Center for Tsukuba Advanced Research Alliance and Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba 305 8577, Japan
Genes Dev 13:76-86. 1999..The activation of Nrf2 leads in turn to the induction of phase II enzyme and antioxidative stress genes in response to electrophiles and reactive oxygen species...
- Direct evidence that sulfhydryl groups of Keap1 are the sensors regulating induction of phase 2 enzymes that protect against carcinogens and oxidantsAlbena T Dinkova-Kostova
The Lewis B and Dorothy Cullman Cancer Chemoprotection Center, Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:11908-13. 2002..and purified murine Keap1 and demonstrated on native gels the formation of complexes of Keap1 with the Neh2 domain of Nrf2 and their concentration-dependent disruption by inducers such as sulforaphane and bis(2-..
- A back-up glycosylase in Nth1 knock-out mice is a functional Nei (endonuclease VIII) homologueMasashi Takao
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:42205-13. 2002..These results suggest that NEIL1 is a back-up glycosylase for NTH1 with unique substrate specificity and tissue-specific expression...
- A novel human DNA glycosylase that removes oxidative DNA damage and is homologous to Escherichia coli endonuclease VIIIViswanath Bandaru
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The Markey Center for Molecular Genetics, The University of Vermont, Stafford Hall, 95 Carrigan Drive, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 1:517-29. 2002..Furthermore, inactivation of active site residues shown to be important in Escherichia coli Nei inactivate the human enzyme. The hNEI1 gene is located on the long arm of chromosome 15 that is frequently deleted in human cancers...
- Keap1-dependent proteasomal degradation of transcription factor Nrf2 contributes to the negative regulation of antioxidant response element-driven gene expressionMichael McMahon
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:21592-600. 2003..Within Nrf2, the N-terminal Neh2 domain is identified as the redox-sensitive degron...
- The novel DNA glycosylase, NEIL1, protects mammalian cells from radiation-mediated cell deathThomas A Rosenquist
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 2:581-91. 2003..Three human genes, designated NEIL1, NEIL2 and NEIL3, encode proteins that contain sequence homologies to Nei and Fpg...
- Phosphorylation of Nrf2 at Ser40 by protein kinase C in response to antioxidants leads to the release of Nrf2 from INrf2, but is not required for Nrf2 stabilization/accumulation in the nucleus and transcriptional activation of antioxidant response elementDavid A Bloom
Department of Pharmacology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 278:44675-82. 2003..The PKC site at Ser40 is conserved among species and lies in the Neh2 domain, which interacts with INrf2...
- Differential specificity of human and Escherichia coli endonuclease III and VIII homologues for oxidative base lesionsAtsushi Katafuchi
Department of Mathematical and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima 739 8526, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:14464-71. 2004..However, detailed analysis of the cellular activity suggests that hNEIL1 has a significant role in the repair of 5S-Tg in human cells...
- Redox-regulated turnover of Nrf2 is determined by at least two separate protein domains, the redox-sensitive Neh2 degron and the redox-insensitive Neh6 degronMichael McMahon
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:31556-67. 2004..In homeostatic COS1 cells, the Neh2 degron confers on Nrf2 a half-life of less than 10 min...
- Identification of a zinc finger domain in the human NEIL2 (Nei-like-2) proteinAditi Das
Sealy Center for Molecular Science and Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1079, USA
J Biol Chem 279:47132-8. 2004The recently identified human NEIL2 (Nei-like-2) protein, a DNA glycosylase/AP lyase specific for oxidatively damaged bases, shares structural features and reaction mechanism with the Escherichia coli DNA glycosylases, Nei and Fpg...
- Recognition of the oxidized lesions spiroiminodihydantoin and guanidinohydantoin in DNA by the mammalian base excision repair glycosylases NEIL1 and NEIL2M Katie Hailer
Department of Chemistry, The University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 4:41-50. 2005..Herein we report that two recently identified mammalian glycosylases, NEIL1 and NEIL2, showed a high affinity for recognition and cleavage of DNA containing Gh/Ia and Sp lesions...
- The murine DNA glycosylase NEIL2 (mNEIL2) and human DNA polymerase beta bind microtubules in situ and in vitroKimberly A Conlon
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, School of Medicine University Hospital and Medical Center, State University of New York Stony Brook, NY 11794 8651, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 4:419-31. 2005....
- Modifying specific cysteines of the electrophile-sensing human Keap1 protein is insufficient to disrupt binding to the Nrf2 domain Neh2Aimee L Eggler
Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:10070-5. 2005..Under basal conditions, Keap1 sequesters Nrf2 in the cytoplasm by binding to its Neh2 domain...
- Differential modulation of base excision repair activities during brain ontogeny: implications for repair of transcribed DNAElla W Englander
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriners Hospitals for Children, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 127:64-9. 2006..While a subset of BER enzymes, exhibited declining expression and excision activities, expression of NEIL1 and NEIL2 glycosylases increased during brain development...
- Keap1 recruits Neh2 through binding to ETGE and DLG motifs: characterization of the two-site molecular recognition modelKit I Tong
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba 305 8572, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 26:2887-900. 2006..We found that the Neh2 domain of Nrf2 is an intrinsically disordered but biologically active regulatory domain containing a 33-residue ..
- Dimerization of substrate adaptors can facilitate cullin-mediated ubiquitylation of proteins by a "tethering" mechanism: a two-site interaction model for the Nrf2-Keap1 complexMichael McMahon
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 281:24756-68. 2006..facilitates ubiquitylation of the Nrf2 transcription factor but only when this substrate possesses within its Neh2 domain a second cryptic Keap1-binding site, the DLG motif, in addition to its previously described ETGE site...
- Negative regulation of the Nrf1 transcription factor by its N-terminal domain is independent of Keap1: Nrf1, but not Nrf2, is targeted to the endoplasmic reticulumYiguo Zhang
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 399:373-85. 2006..Within acidic domain 1, residues 156-242 share 43% identity with the Neh2 (Nrf2-ECH homology 2) degron of Nrf2 that serves to destabilize this latter transcription factor through an ..
- Deoxyribophosphate lyase activity of mammalian endonuclease VIII-like proteinsInga R Grin
SB RAS Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
FEBS Lett 580:4916-22. 2006..Here, we demonstrate that NEIL1 and NEIL2, mammalian homologs of bacterial endonuclease VIII, excise dRP by beta-elimination with the efficiency similar to ..
- NEIL2-initiated, APE-independent repair of oxidized bases in DNA: Evidence for a repair complex in human cellsAditi Das
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Sealy Center for Molecular Science, University of Texas Medical Branch, 6 136 Medical Research Building, Route 1079, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 5:1439-48. 2006..barely active in removing 3' phosphate generated by the recently discovered mammalian DNA glycosylases NEIL1 and NEIL2. We showed earlier that the 3' phosphate generated by NEIL1 is efficiently removed by polynucleotide kinase (PNK) ..
- Evaluation of NTHL1, NEIL1, NEIL2, MPG, TDG, UNG and SMUG1 genes in familial colorectal cancer predispositionPeter Broderick
Section of Cancer Genetics, Brookes Lawley Building, Institute of Cancer Research, 15 Cotswold Road, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5NG, UK
BMC Cancer 6:243. 2006..It is conceivable that germline sequence variation in other BER pathway genes such as NTHL1, NEIL1, NEIL2, MPG, TDG, UNG and SMUG1 also contribute to CRC susceptibility.
- Different organization of base excision repair of uracil in DNA in nuclei and mitochondria and selective upregulation of mitochondrial uracil-DNA glycosylase after oxidative stressM Akbari
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Neuroscience 145:1201-12. 2007..The DNA glycosylases Nei-like DNA glycosylase 1 (NEIL1), Nei-like DNA glycosylase 2 (NEIL2), mitochondrial uracil-DNA glycosylase 1 (UNG1), nuclear uracil-DNA glycosylase 2 (UNG2) and endonuclease III-like ..
- Damage specificity of human DNA glycosylases for oxidative pyrimidine lesionsAtsushi Katafuchi
Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima 739 8526, Japan
Nucleic Acids Symp Ser (Oxf) . 2004..hNEIL2 exhibited a strong AP lyase activity but the N-glycosylase activity for the tested oxidative base lesions was marginal...
- Human polymorphic variants of the NEIL1 DNA glycosylaseLaura M Roy
Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
J Biol Chem 282:15790-8. 2007..reactive oxygen species is primarily initiated by a series of DNA glycosylases that include OGG1, NTH1, NEIL1, and NEIL2. To explore the functional significance of NEIL1, we recently reported that neil1 knock-out and heterozygotic mice ..
- Human non-synonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms can influence ubiquitin-mediated protein degradationSevtap Savas
Fred A Litwin Centre for Cancer Genetics, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
OMICS 11:200-8. 2007..in the presence of nsSNPs in CCND3, PMS2, POLE4, SITPEC, and PPARG and putative PEST motifs were created in NEIL2, BIRC4, MLL2, and PPP1R15A...
- Novel vectors for homologous recombination strategies in mouse embryonic stem cells: an ES cell line expressing EGFP under control of the 5T4 promoterFlor M Perez-Campo
Stem Cell Biology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK
Exp Cell Res 313:3604-15. 2007..As proof-of-principle, we have utilized the knock-out targeting vector to modify the NEIL2 locus in ES cells...
- Different electrostatic potentials define ETGE and DLG motifs as hinge and latch in oxidative stress responseKit I Tong
Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, Center for TARA, JST ERATO Environmental Response Project, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba 305 8577, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 27:7511-21. 2007..The DLG motif works to correctly position the lysines within the Nrf2 Neh2 domain for efficient ubiquitination...
- Subcellular localization and cytoplasmic complex status of endogenous Keap1Yoriko Watai
Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, Center for Tsukuba Advanced Research Alliance, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
Genes Cells 12:1163-78. 2007..an adaptor for Cullin-3-based ubiquitin ligase, and a regulator of Nrf2 activity through the interaction with Nrf2 Neh2 domain...
- Interaction of the human DNA glycosylase NEIL1 with proliferating cell nuclear antigen. The potential for replication-associated repair of oxidized bases in mammalian genomesHong Dou
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1079, USA
J Biol Chem 283:3130-40. 2008NEIL1 and NEIL2 compose a family of DNA glycosylases that is distinct from that of the other two DNA glycosylases, OGG1 and NTH1, all of which are involved in repair of oxidized bases in mammalian genomes...
- Base excision repair activities in organotypic hippocampal slice cultures exposed to oxygen and glucose deprivationVeslemøy Rolseth
Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Oslo, Rikshospitalet, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
DNA Repair (Amst) 7:869-78. 2008..Real-time RT-PCR showed that transcription of DNA glycosylases, including Ogg1, Nth1, Ung, Aag, Neil1 and Neil2 were not changed in response to OGD treatment (t=0 h)...
- Structural insights into the similar modes of Nrf2 transcription factor recognition by the cytoplasmic repressor Keap1Balasundaram Padmanabhan
Genomic Sciences Center, Yokohama Institute, RIKEN, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Tsurumi, Yokohama 230 0045, Japan
J Synchrotron Radiat 15:273-6. 2008..The Neh2 domain of Nrf2 interacts with Keap1 at the bottom region of the Kelch/beta-propeller domain which is formed by ..
- Novel DNA glycosylases from Mycobacterium tuberculosisV S Sidorenko
Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, Siberian Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 73:442-50. 2008..We have cloned and expressed two paralogs (Mtu-Nei2 and Mtu-Fpg2) from 36KAZ and KHA94 isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and studied their ability to participate ..
- Polynucleotide kinase as a potential target for enhancing cytotoxicity by ionizing radiation and topoisomerase I inhibitorsN K Bernstein
Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, 11560 University Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Anticancer Agents Med Chem 8:358-67. 2008..agents including ionizing radiation, topoisomerase I inhibitors, and DNA repair glycosylases such as NEIL1 and NEIL2, often contain 5'-hydroxyl and/or 3'-phosphate termini...
- Mutator phenotype of mammalian cells due to deficiency of NEIL1 DNA glycosylase, an oxidized base-specific repair enzymeAmit K Maiti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 7:1213-20. 2008The recently characterized NEIL1 and NEIL2 are distinct from the previously characterized mammalian DNA glycosylases (OGG1 and NTH1) involved in repair of oxidized bases because of the NEILs' preference for excising base lesions from ..
- Widespread distribution of DNA glycosylases removing oxidative DNA lesions in human and rodent brainsVeslemøy Rolseth
Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Oslo, Rikshospitalet HF, Oslo, Norway
DNA Repair (Amst) 7:1578-88. 2008..In mammalian cells at least five different DNA glycosylases with overlapping substrate specificity, NEIL1, NEIL2, NEIL3, OGG1 and NTH1, remove oxidative DNA base lesions...
- Prospective type 1 and type 2 disulfides of Keap1 proteinRyan Holland
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, Maryland 21250, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 21:2051-60. 2008..The energy minimizations indicated marked alterations in structure with a substantial constriction of Neh2 binding domain of the Keap1 Kelch repeat domain...
- A simple method for amino acid selective isotope labeling of recombinant proteins in E. coliKit I Tong
Center for Tsukuba Advanced Research Alliance, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, JST ERATO Environmental Response Project, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, 305 8577, Japan
J Biomol NMR 42:59-67. 2008..The sequential backbone resonance assignment of the Neh2 domain of Nrf2 transcriptional factor, an intrinsically disordered protein with high spectral degeneracy, was ..
- Expression and purification of NEIL3, a human DNA glycosylase homologSilje Z Krokeide
Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, Department of Molecular Biology, Institute of Microbiology, Rikshospitalet Medical Centre, Sognsvannsveien 28, N0027 Oslo, Norway
Protein Expr Purif 65:160-4. 2009..Thus, a mammalian family of three proteins (NEIL1, NEIL2 and NEIL3) that showed homology to the Escherichia coli Fpg/Nei DNA glycosylases was identified...
- Human Nei-like protein NEIL3 has AP lyase activity specific for single-stranded DNA and confers oxidative stress resistance in Escherichia coli mutantMasashi Takao
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
Genes Cells 14:261-70. 2009..damage to DNA, cells contain several DNA glycosylases including OGG1, NTH1 and the Nei-like proteins, NEIL1 and NEIL2. A third Nei-like protein, NEIL3, is composed of an amino-terminal Nei-like domain and an unknown carboxy-terminal ..
- Cul3-mediated Nrf2 ubiquitination and antioxidant response element (ARE) activation are dependent on the partial molar volume at position 151 of Keap1Aimee L Eggler
Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology and the Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Biochem J 422:171-80. 2009..This model has significant implications for how electrophiles which modify Cys(151), disrupt the repressive function of Keap1...
- Heavy metal ions affect the activity of DNA glycosylases of the fpg familyI R Grin
Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, Siberian Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, pr Lavrentieva 8, Novosibirsk, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 74:1253-9. 2009..enzymes formamidopyrimidine-DNA glycosylase (Fpg) and endonuclease VIII (Nei) and their eukaryotic homologs NEIL1, NEIL2, and NEIL3 define the Fpg family of DNA glycosylases, which initiate the process of repair of oxidized DNA bases...
- Regulatory regions responsive to oxidative stress in the promoter of the human DNA glycosylase gene NEIL2Carla J Kinslow
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1062, USA
Mutagenesis 25:171-7. 2010..If not repaired, these lesions could lead to genomic instability and, potentially, to cancer development. NEIL2 (EC 4.2.99...
- Hepatitis C virus induces oxidative stress, DNA damage and modulates the DNA repair enzyme NEIL1Sampa Pal
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7110 USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:627-34. 2010..In the current study we examined the induction of reactive oxygen species (ROS) resulting from HCV infection and evaluated its effect on the host DNA damage and repair machinery...
- Inactivation of NEIL2 DNA glycosylase by pyridoxal phosphate reveals a loop important for substrate bindingInga R Grin
SB RAS Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, 8 Lavrentieva Ave, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 394:100-5. 2010..Of six enzymes tested, only endonuclease VIII-like protein 2 (NEIL2) was significantly inhibited by PLP. The inhibition was due to Schiff base formation between PLP and the enzyme...
- The mouse ortholog of NEIL3 is a functional DNA glycosylase in vitro and in vivoMinmin Liu
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The Markey Center for Molecular Genetics, University of Vermont, Stafford Hall, 95 Carrigan Drive, Burlington, VT 05405 0086, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:4925-30. 2010..have been identified in mammals that are homologous to the Escherichia coli Fpg and Nei proteins, Neil1, Neil2, and Neil3...
- Specific Inhibition of NEIL-initiated repair of oxidized base damage in human genome by copper and iron: potential etiological linkage to neurodegenerative diseasesMuralidhar L Hegde
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Biol Chem 285:28812-25. 2010..repair pathway, initiated with one of four major DNA glycosylases: NTH1 or OGG1 (of the Nth family) or NEIL1 or NEIL2 (of the Nei family)...
- Induction of NEIL1 and NEIL2 DNA glycosylases in aniline-induced splenic toxicityHuaxian Ma
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 251:1-7. 2011..of NEIL1/2 was assayed using a bubble structure substrate containing 5-OHU (preferred substrates for NEIL1 and NEIL2) and by quantitating the cleavage products. Aniline treatment led to a 1...
- Molecular mechanisms of the Keap1–Nrf2 pathway in stress response and cancer evolutionKeiko Taguchi
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 1 Seiryo cho, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Genes Cells 16:123-40. 2011..in which one molecule of Nrf2 associates with two molecules of Keap1 by using two binding sites within the Neh2 domain of Nrf2. This two-site binding appears critical for Nrf2 ubiquitination...
- Integrative analysis of array-comparative genomic hybridisation and matched gene expression profiling data reveals novel genes with prognostic significance in oesophageal adenocarcinomaX Y Goh
MRC Cancer Cell Unit, Hutchison MRC Research Centre, Cambridge, UK
Gut 60:1317-26. 2011..This study aimed to use genome-wide genomic and expression data to enhance the understanding of OAC pathogenesis and identify groups with differential outcomes...
- Duffy-null-associated low neutrophil counts influence HIV-1 susceptibility in high-risk South African black womenVeron Ramsuran
HIV Pathogenesis Programme, Doris Duke Medical Research Institute, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 52:1248-56. 2011..The influence of pre-seroconversion levels of peripheral blood cell counts (PBCs) on the risk of acquiring human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 infection among Africans is unknown...
- Eukaryotic endonuclease VIII-like proteins: new components of the base excision DNA repair systemI R Grin
Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, Siberian Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 76:80-93. 2011..In 2002, three new human DNA glycosylases (NEIL1, NEIL2, and NEIL3) were discovered, all homologous to endonuclease VIII, a bacterial protein, which also participates in ..
- Development of Neh2-luciferase reporter and its application for high throughput screening and real-time monitoring of Nrf2 activatorsNatalya A Smirnova
Burke Medical Research Institute, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Chem Biol 18:752-65. 2011..To directly monitor stabilization of Nrf2, we fused its Neh2 domain, responsible for the interaction with its nucleocytoplasmic regulator, Keap1, to firefly luciferase (Neh2-..
- DNA base excision repair gene polymorphisms modulate human cognitive performance and decline during normal life spanMeryl S Lillenes
Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, Institute of Microbiology, University of Oslo, Norway
Mech Ageing Dev 132:449-58. 2011..MutYH(His324Gln), APE1(Gln51His), APE1(Glu148Asp), XRCC1(Lys298Asn), XRCC1(Arg7Leu), NEIL1(Asp252Asn), and NEIL2(Arg257Leu). XRCC1(Arg7Leu) and PolB(Pro242Arg) were characterized by single nucleotide variations (≤0...
- Peptide inhibitors of the Keap1-Nrf2 protein-protein interactionRowena Hancock
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, London WC1N 1AX, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 52:444-51. 2012..We describe the structure-activity relationships for a series of peptides based upon regions of the Nrf2 Neh2 domain, of varying length and sequence, that interact with the Keap1 Kelch domain and disrupt the interaction with ..
- Signaling pathways activated by the phytochemical nordihydroguaiaretic acid contribute to a Keap1-independent regulation of Nrf2 stability: Role of glycogen synthase kinase-3Ana I Rojo
Departamento de Bioquímica e Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas Alberto Sols UAM CSIC, Centro de Investigación en Red sobre Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria La Paz, Madrid 28029, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 52:473-87. 2012..The stability of Nrf2 involves the interaction of two degradation domains, designated Neh2 and Neh6, with the E3 ubiquitin ligase adaptors, Keap1 and β-TrCP, respectively...
- REG4, NEIL2, and BIRC5 gene expression correlates with gamma-radiation sensitivity in patients with rectal cancer receiving radiotherapyTakashi Kobunai
Department of Surgery, Teikyo University School of Medicine, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8605, Japan
Anticancer Res 31:4147-53. 2011..The present study aimed to identify genes that influence the susceptibility of cancer cells to radiation...
- Inherited predisposition to colorectal adenomas caused by multiple rare alleles of MUTYH but not OGG1, NUDT1, NTH1 or NEIL 1, 2 or 3A R Dallosso
Institute of Medical Genetics, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Gut 57:1252-5. 2008..MUTYH functions in the DNA base excision repair pathway and has a key role in the repair of oxidative DNA damage...
- Polymorphic variants of human DNA glycosylase NEIL2 and lung cancer susceptibilitTapas K Hazra; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have found that downregulation of NEIL2, a recently identified oxidized base-specific DNA glycosylase, increases mutation frequency in the hprt gene of ..
- Repair of Oxidized Bases in Mammalian GenomesSankar Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2012..In our previous project period we characterized human glycosylases (NEIL1 and NEIL2) with overlapping substrate preferences as OGG1 and NTH1...
- Regulation of Nrf2 SignalingMichael Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 2 will determine if key Keap1 Cys residues regulate association between the Neh2 domain of Nrf2 and Keap1 following reaction with thiol-reactive electrophiles...
- Repair of oxidative damage in mammalian genomesTapas K Hazra; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>NEIL2 has a 4- to 5-fold higher affinity and activity for 5-OHU in bubble vs duplex DNA, and it excises 8-oxoG from ..
- MAMMALIAN OXIDATIVE DNA DAMAGE REPAIRThomas Rosenquist; Fiscal Year: 2004..The effects of altering the level of ogg1 gene expression on the rate of mutagenesis and tumorigenesis also will be determined. ..
- HYPOXIA-INDUCED DNA DAMAGE AND REPAIR IN THE RAT BRAINElla W Englander; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..