Genomes and Genes
manganese superoxide dismutase
Gene Symbol: manganese superoxide dismutase
Description: superoxide dismutase 2
Alias: IPO-B, IPOB, MNSOD, MVCD6, Mn-SOD, superoxide dismutase [Mn], mitochondrial, Mn superoxide dismutase, indophenoloxidase B, manganese-containing superoxide dismutase, mangano-superoxide dismutase, superoxide dismutase 2, mitochondrial
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Molecular structure and organization of the human manganese superoxide dismutase geneX S Wan
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40506 0054, USA
DNA Cell Biol 13:1127-36. 1994Human manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is one of the major cellular defense enzymes that protects against toxic effects of superoxide radicals...
- Synergistic activation of the human MnSOD promoter by DJ-1 and PGC-1alpha: regulation by SUMOylation and oxidationNan Zhong
Department of Neurology, Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02135, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:3357-67. 2008..Here, we show that the inactivation of DJ-1 causes decreased expression of the human MnSOD. DJ-1 stimulates the activity of a master regulator of mitochondrial biogenesis and stress response, peroxisome ..
- Dilated cardiomyopathy and neonatal lethality in mutant mice lacking manganese superoxide dismutaseY Li
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0748, USA
Nat Genet 11:376-81. 1995The Sod2 gene for Mn-superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), an intramitochondrial free radical scavenging enzyme that is the first line of defense against superoxide produced as a byproduct of oxidative phosphorylation, was inactivated by ..
- Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in ATM, GSTP1, SOD2, TGFB1, XPD and XRCC1 with clinical and cellular radiosensitivityOliver Zschenker
Hubertus Wald Tumorzentrum, University Cancer Center Hamburg, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Radiother Oncol 97:26-32. 2010..To examine the association of polymorphisms in ATM (codon 158), GSTP1 (codon 105), SOD2 (codon 16), TGFB1 (position -509), XPD (codon 751), and XRCC1 (codon 399) with fibrosis and also individual radiosensitivity...
- An integrative study ascertained SOD2 as a susceptibility gene for osteoporosis in ChineseFei Yan Deng
Laboratory of Molecular and Statistical Genetics and Key Laboratory of Protein Chemistry and Developmental Biology of the Ministry of Education, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
J Bone Miner Res 26:2695-701. 2011..05), suggesting that they are expression quantitative trait loci (eQTLs) regulating SOD2 gene expression. In conclusion, this integrative evidence from DNA, RNA, and protein levels support SOD2 as a susceptibility gene for osteoporosis...
- Analysis of NQO1, GSTP1, and MnSOD genetic polymorphisms on lung cancer risk in TaiwanPinpin Lin
Institute of Toxicology, Chung Shan Medical University, No 110, Sec 1, Chien Kuo N Rd, Taichung 402, Taiwan, ROC
Lung Cancer 40:123-9. 2003..polymorphisms, NAD(P)H quinone oxidoreductase (NQO1), Glutathione-S-transferase P1 (GSTP1), and manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), with lung cancer risk in 198 cases and 332 controls in Taiwan...
- No association between SOD2 or NQO1 genotypes and risk of bladder cancerPaul D Terry
Epidemiology Branch, NIEHS, NIH, Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:753-4. 2005
- Morphine modulates HIV-1 gp160-induced murine macrophage and human monocyte apoptosis by disparate waysAditi A Kapasi
Immunology and Inflammation Center, North Shore LIJ Research Institute, The Division of Kidney Disease and Hypertension, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
J Neuroimmunol 148:86-96. 2004..On the other hand, free radical scavengers such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), dimethylthiourea (DMTU) and catalase attenuated morphine and gp160-induced human monocyte apoptosis...
- Heritability and genome-wide association study to assess genetic differences between advanced age-related macular degeneration subtypesLucia Sobrin
Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ophthalmology 119:1874-85. 2012....
- The structure of human mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase reveals a novel tetrameric interface of two 4-helix bundlesG E Borgstahl
Department of Molecular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037
Cell 71:107-18. 1992The 2.2 A resolution crystal structure of recombinant human manganese superoxide dismutase, a homotetrameric enzyme that protects mitochondria against oxygen-mediated free radical damage, has been determined...
- Superoxide dismutase 2 Val16Ala polymorphism is a risk factor for the valproic acid-related elevation of serum aminotransferasesJunji Saruwatari
Division of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 5 1 Oe honmachi, Kumamoto 862 0973, Japan
Epilepsy Res 99:183-6. 2012..1; P=0.022). The SOD2 Val/Val genotype may therefore contribute to a valproic acid-induced elevation in the serum aminotransferase levels...
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor increases expression of MnSOD in human circulating angiogenic cellsTongrong He
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Microvasc Res 83:366-71. 2012..Treatment of early EPCs with recombinant human BDNF for 24 h significantly increased manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) expression, but had no effect on expression of other antioxidant enzymes including copper zinc ..
- Manganese superoxide dismutase and breast cancer recurrence: a Danish clinical registry-based case-control study, and a meta-analysisDeirdre P Cronin-Fenton
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
PLoS ONE 9:e87450. 2014b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) inhibits oxidative damage and cancer therapy effectiveness. A polymorphism in its encoding gene (SOD2: Val16Ala rs4880) may confer poorer breast cancer survival, but data are inconsistent...
- Genetic polymorphisms of superoxide dismutase in Parkinson's diseaseF M Farin
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7234, USA
Mov Disord 16:705-7. 2001..sequencing assays to identify genetic variants in the copper/zinc superoxide dismutase (SOD1) and manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD2) genes...
- Manganese superoxide dismutase Ala-9Val polymorphism, environmental modifiers, and risk of breast cancer in a German populationTracy E Slanger
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Postfach 101949, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Causes Control 17:1025-31. 2006A functional polymorphism at codon 16 (Alanine-to-Valine) of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) has been hypothesized to increase the risk of breast cancer and to modify the effects of oxidative stress...
- The investigation of GSTT1, GSTM1 and SOD polymorphism in bladder cancer patientsMujgan Cengiz
Department of Medical Biology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 39:1043-8. 2007..Using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) the prevalence of genetic polymorphisms of GSTT1, GSTM1 and MnSOD (Manganese Superoxide Dismurase) was investigated in 104 cases and controls to seek any association with the risk ..
- Human manganese superoxide dismutase suppresses HER2/neu-mediated breast cancer malignancyTzu Chao Chuang
Department of Chemistry, Tamkang University, Tamsui, Taiwan, ROC
FEBS Lett 581:4443-9. 2007..Overexpression of human manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) has been demonstrated to effectively suppress various carcinoma cells, including breast ..
- Regulation of Mn-superoxide dismutase activity and neuroprotection by STAT3 in mice after cerebral ischemiaJoo Eun Jung
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Neurosci 29:7003-14. 2009Cerebral ischemia and reperfusion increase superoxide anions (O(2)(*-)) in brain mitochondria. Manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD; SOD2), a primary mitochondrial antioxidant enzyme, scavenges superoxide radicals and its overexpression ..
- Polymorphism (ALA16VAL) correlates with regional lymph node status in breast cancerClaudia Giuliano Bica
Programa de Pós Graduação em Patologia, Universidade Federal de Ciências Médicas de Porto Alegre, Rua Sarmento Leite, 245, Porto Alegre 90050 170, Brazil
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 196:153-8. 2010We studied the possible association between Ala16Val manganese-dependent superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) gene genotypes and breast cancer lymph node status because previous investigations suggested an association between the AA genotype and ..
- Preferential selection of MnSOD transcripts in proliferating normal and cancer cellsL Chaudhuri
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Oncogene 31:1207-16. 2012b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is a nuclear encoded and mitochondrial matrix-localized redox enzyme that is known to regulate the cellular redox environment...
- Genetic variants of MnSOD and GPX1 and susceptibility to bladder cancer in a Turkish populationCanan Kucukgergin
Department of Biochemistry, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, 34093 Istanbul, Turkey
Med Oncol 29:1928-34. 2012This study was conducted to investigate the association of genetic polymorphisms in the MnSOD and GPX1 genes with the risk and invasiveness of bladder cancer in a Turkish population...
- Manganese superoxide dismutase: nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequence of a cDNA encoding a new human transcriptS L Church
Department of Pediatrics, St Louis Children s Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, MO 63110
Biochim Biophys Acta 1087:250-2. 1990Three human cDNA libraries were screened with a human manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) cDNA under moderately stringent conditions to characterize a large 4-6 kb RNA species which hybridizes to Mn-SOD in RNA blot analyses. A new 4...
- Genetic polymorphisms of MnSOD, GSTM1, GSTT1, and OGG1 in coal workers' pneumoconiosisRihong Zhai
Occupational Health Program, Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 665 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Occup Environ Med 44:372-7. 2002..We investigated the association between genetic polymorphisms of MnSOD, GSTM1, GSTT1, or OGG1 and susceptibility to CWP...
- MnSOD activity protects mitochondrial morphology of quiescent fibroblasts from age associated abnormalitiesEhab H Sarsour
Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Mitochondrion 10:342-9. 2010Previously, we have shown manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) activity protects quiescent human normal skin fibroblasts (NHFs) from age associated loss in proliferative capacity. The loss in proliferative capacity of aged vs...
- The human immunodeficiency virus-1 Tat protein increases cell proliferation, alters sensitivity to zinc chelator-induced apoptosis, and changes Sp1 DNA binding in HeLa cellsM Seve
Laboratoire de Biologie du Stress Oxydant LBSO, University of Grenoble, La Tronche, 38700, France
Arch Biochem Biophys 361:165-72. 1999....
- Transcriptional regulation of the human manganese superoxide dismutase gene: the role of specificity protein 1 (Sp1) and activating protein-2 (AP-2)Yong Xu
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, 361 Health Sciences Research Building, Lexington KY 40536, USA
Biochem J 362:401-12. 2002b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) plays an important role in regulating cellular redox conditions...
- Nuclear factor kappaB- and specificity protein 1-dependent p53-mediated bi-directional regulation of the human manganese superoxide dismutase geneSanjit K Dhar
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Biol Chem 285:9835-46. 2010..To address this question, concentration-dependent p53 effect on the manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) gene was investigated...
- Mitochondrial H2O2 regulates the angiogenic phenotype via PTEN oxidationKip M Connor
Centers for Immunology and Microbial Disease, Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience, and Cell Biology and Cancer Research, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York 12208, USA
J Biol Chem 280:16916-24. 2005..Increases in the steady state production of mitochondrial derived H2O2, as a result of manganese superoxide dismutase (Sod2) overexpression, led to PTEN oxidation that was reversed by the coexpression of the H2O2-..
- Genetic polymorphism in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene, antioxidant intake, and breast cancer risk: results from the Shanghai Breast Cancer StudyQiuyin Cai
Department of Medicine and Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Breast Cancer Res 6:R647-55. 2004..b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is a major enzyme that is responsible for the detoxification of reactive oxygen species in the ..
- Polymorphisms in manganese superoxide dismutase, myeloperoxidase and glutathione-S-transferase and survival after treatment for metastatic breast cancerMary A Bewick
Sudbury Regional Hospital, Regional Cancer Center, 41 Ramsey Lake Rd, Sudbury, ON, Canada, P3E 5J1
Breast Cancer Res Treat 111:93-101. 2008..005 and 0.006 for PFS and BCSS, respectively. These results suggest that SNPs in genes involved in drug metabolism may influence survival outcome for patients with MBC receiving HDC and ASCT...
- Sublocalization of the gene encoding manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD/SOD2) to 6q25 by fluorescence in situ hybridization and somatic cell hybrid mappingS L Church
Edward Mallinckrodt Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis Children s Hospital, Missouri 63110
Genomics 14:823-5. 1992
- A novel neurological phenotype in mice lacking mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutaseS Melov
Center for Molecular Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Nat Genet 18:159-63. 1998..Consequently, MnTBAP-treated Sod2tm1Cje(-/-) mice may provide an excellent model for examining the relationship between free radicals and neurodegenerative diseases and for screening new drugs to treat these disorders...
- Peroxynitrite-mediated inactivation of manganese superoxide dismutase involves nitration and oxidation of critical tyrosine residuesL A MacMillan-Crow
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294, USA
Biochemistry 37:1613-22. 1998Previous studies from our laboratory have demonstrated that the mitochondrial protein manganese superoxide dismutase is inactivated, tyrosine nitrated, and present as higher molecular mass species during human renal allograft rejection...
- Potent anti-tumor effects of an active site mutant of human manganese-superoxide dismutase. Evolutionary conservation of product inhibitionChristopher A Davis
Department of Neuroscience, University of Florida Shands Cancer Center, McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Biol Chem 279:12769-76. 2004..These data also provide more direct intracellular evidence for the signaling role associated with H(2)O(2)...
- A functional polymorphism in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene and diabetic nephropathyAnna Möllsten
Department of Clinical Sciences, Paediatrics, Clinical Chemistry, Umea University, S 90185 Umea, Sweden
Diabetes 56:265-9. 2007Oxidative stress has been suggested to contribute to the development of diabetic nephropathy. Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) protects the cells from oxidative damage by scavenging free radicals...
- A mitochondrial target sequence polymorphism in manganese superoxide dismutase predicts inferior survival in breast cancer patients treated with cyclophosphamideSharon A Glynn
Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Research, Office of Preventive Oncology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4258, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:4165-73. 2009b>Manganese superoxide dismutase protects against oxidative damage and modulates the efficacy of chemotherapeutic drugs...
- Complementary DNA encoding human colon cancer manganese superoxide dismutase and the expression of its gene in human cellsD K St Clair
Department of Radiology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27103
Cancer Res 51:939-43. 1991b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is a member of a family of metalloenzymes that catalyze the dismutation of the superoxide anion to H2O2...
- Variation in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene (SOD2) is not a major cause of radiotherapy complications in breast cancer patientsHelen Green
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5NG, UK
Radiother Oncol 63:213-6. 2002..Within mitochondria manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) provides a major defence against oxidative damage by reactive oxygen species...
- Association study of detoxification genes in age related macular degenerationH Esfandiary
Centre for Vision Sciences, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT12 6BA, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 89:470-4. 2005..The choice of genes was based on their function in the breakdown of industrial pollutants, cigarette smoke, defence against oxidative stress, or involvement in the general ageing process...
- Tagging single-nucleotide polymorphisms in antioxidant defense enzymes and susceptibility to breast cancerArancha Cebrian
Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cancer Research UK Department of Oncology, University of Cambridge, Worts Causeway, Cambridge CB1 8RN, UK
Cancer Res 66:1225-33. 2006..Even if confirmed, these four alleles would account for just 0.32% of the excess familial risk of breast cancer...
- Mitochondrial superoxide dismutase activation with 17 beta-estradiol-treated human lens epithelial cellsSrinivas Gottipati
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, Fort Worth, TX 76107, USA
Mol Vis 14:898-905. 2008..also elicits genomic protection by influencing the expression (and activity) of mitochondrial-associated manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) as a possible parallel mechanism by which 17beta-E(2) protects against oxidative stress.
- Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in SOD2, XRCC1 and XRCC3 with susceptibility for the development of adverse effects resulting from radiotherapy for prostate cancerRyan J Burri
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Radiat Res 170:49-59. 2008..002). These results suggest that SNPs in the SOD2, XRCC1 and XRCC3 genes are associated with the development of late radiation injury in patients treated with radiation therapy for prostate adenocarcinoma...
- Mitochondrial dysregulation of osteoarthritic human articular chondrocytes analyzed by proteomics: a decrease in mitochondrial superoxide dismutase points to a redox imbalanceCristina Ruiz-Romero
Osteoarticular and Aging Research Laboratory, Proteomics Unit Nodo Asociado de Proteo Red, Rheumatology Division, Instituto de Investigación Biomédica de A Coruña Complejo Hospitalario Universitario A Coruña, Xubias 84, Spain
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:172-89. 2009....
- Manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphism, prediagnostic antioxidant status, and risk of clinical significant prostate cancerHaojie Li
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Res 65:2498-504. 2005..Oxidative stress may enhance prostatic carcinogenesis. A polymorphism [valine (V) --> alanine (A)] of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), the primary antioxidant enzyme in mitochondria, has been recently associated with prostate ..
- UDN glycoprotein regulates activities of manganese-superoxide dismutase, activator protein-1, and nuclear factor-kappaB stimulated by reactive oxygen radicals in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated HCT-116 cellsSei Jung Lee
Molecular Biochemistry Laboratory, Institute of Biotechnology and Center for the Control of Animal Hazards Using Biotechnology BK 21, Chonnam National University, Kwang Ju, 300 Yongbong Dong, 500 757, South Korea
Cancer Lett 254:274-87. 2007..Therefore, UDN glycoprotein, a natural antioxidant, is a potential modulator of inflammatory signal pathways in LPS-treated HCT-116 cells...
- HIV-1 Tat potentiates TNF-induced NF-kappa B activation and cytotoxicity by altering the cellular redox stateM O Westendorp
Division of Immunogenetics, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg
EMBO J 14:546-54. 1995..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Tat protein of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 represses expression of manganese superoxide dismutase in HeLa cellsS C Flores
Webb Waring Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:7632-6. 1993..The results suggest a direct interaction between Tat protein and Mn-SOD gene transcripts...
- Iron chelation decreases human immunodeficiency virus-1 Tat potentiated tumor necrosis factor-induced NF-kappa B activation in Jurkat cellsV A Shatrov
CJF 94 11 INSERM Cytokines et Immunité Antitumorale, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Eur Cytokine Netw 8:37-43. 1997..potentiates TNF-induced NF-kappa B activation by downregulation of manganese-dependent superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), shifting the cellular redox state towards pro-oxidative conditions...
- Control of the histone-acetyltransferase activity of Tip60 by the HIV-1 transactivator protein, TatM Creaven
Equipe de Chromatine et Expression des Génes, Equipe d Assemblage et Régulation de l Appareil Génétique, Laboratoire de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire de la Différenciation, INSERM U309, France
Biochemistry 38:8826-30. 1999..We postulate that the HIV-1 transactivator, Tat, in targeting Tip60 hinders the expression of cellular genes (such as Mn-SOD) which normally interfere with the efficient replication and propagation of the virus...
- Polymorphisms in the SOD2 and HLA-DRB1 genes are associated with nonfamilial idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy in JapaneseS Hiroi
Division of Adult Diseases, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, 101, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 261:332-9. 1999..of homozygotes for the V allele [Val versus Ala (A allele), a polymorphism in the leader peptide of manganese superoxide dismutase at position 16] of the SOD2 gene in the patients compared with the controls (87.2% versus 74...
- Polymorphisms in the Mn-SOD and EC-SOD genes and their relationship to diabetic neuropathy in type 1 diabetes mellitusD A Chistyakov
INSERM U36, College de France, 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
BMC Med Genet 2:4. 2001..We studied Ala(-9)Val and Ile58Thr polymorphisms of the Mn-SOD gene and Arg213Gly dimorphism of the EC-SOD gene in type 1 diabetic patients with (n = 82) and without DN (n = 84)...
- Association between manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) gene polymorphism and breast cancer riskK Mitrunen
Department of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Carcinogenesis 22:827-9. 2001..Within mitochondria manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) provides a major defence against oxidative damage by reactive oxygen species...
- MnSOD expression within tumor cells is closely related to mode of invasion in human gastric cancerDaisuke Korenaga
Department of General Surgery, Fukuoka Dental College Hospital, Tamura, Sawara ku, Japan
Oncol Rep 10:27-30. 2003b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) plays an important role in protecting cells from injury due to oxidative stress...
- Increased manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD-2) is part of the mechanism for prostate tumor suppression by Mac25/insulin-like growth factor binding-protein-related protein-1Stephen R Plymate
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Oncogene 22:1024-34. 2003..CDNA expression array analysis revealed increased manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD-2) expression in the mac25/IGFBP-rP1-transfected M12 human prostate cancer cell line compared to ..
- [Association of the SOD2 Ala(-9)Val and SOD3 Arg213Gly polymorphisms with diabetic polyneuropathy in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1]E V Zotova
State Research Center GosNIIgenetika, Moscow, 117545 Russia
Mol Biol (Mosk) 37:404-8. 2003..Higher frequencies of SOD2 allele Val and genotype Val/Val and of SOD3 allele Arg and genotype Arg/Arg were established for group DPN+. On this evidence, SOD2 and SOD3 were associated with DPN in DM type 1...
- MnSOD polymorphism and breast cancer in a population-based case-control studyKathleen M Egan
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Suite 6000 Medical Center East, Nashville, TN 37232 8300, USA
Cancer Lett 199:27-33. 2003A polymorphism in the signal sequence (Ala-9Val) of the gene encoding the free radical-quenching manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) has been reported to alter the risk for breast cancer...
- Predisposing genetic factors for diabetic polyneuropathy in patients with type 1 diabetes: a population-based case-control studyI A Strokov
Department of Neurology, I M Sechenov Medical Academy, Moscow, Russia
Acta Diabetol 40:S375-9. 2003..Genes encoding the enzymes Mn-SOD and extracellular superoxide dismutase (EC-SOD) were found to be associated with the pathogenesis of DPN...
- Asbestos exposure, manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) genotype, and lung cancer riskLisa I Wang
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Occup Environ Med 46:556-64. 2004..risk (caused by lung inflammation, free radical production), we examined possible interactions between manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) genotypes and asbestos in a hospital-based case-control study of 811 white lung cancer cases ..
- The SOD2 Val/Val genotype enhances the risk of nonsmall cell lung carcinoma by p53 and XRCC1 polymorphismsGeoffrey Liu
Occupational Health Program, Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer 101:2802-8. 2004Exogenous reactive oxygen species (ROS) induces DNA damage. Manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD2) catalyzes the dismutation of superoxide radicals, a major type of ROS, into hydrogen peroxide...
- Candidate genes associated with ageing and life expectancy in the Jerusalem longitudinal studyJochanan Stessman
Department of Geriatric Rehabilitation, Hadassah Hospital, Hebrew University Medical Center, Mt Scopus, Jerusalem
Mech Ageing Dev 126:333-9. 2005..Overall, the more genetically homogenous Ashkenazi ethnic group showed evidence for association in five genes examined suggesting that future studies in this population would gainfully focus on this ethnic group...
- Manganese superoxide dismutase gene polymorphism (V16A) is associated with stages of albuminuria in Korean type 2 diabetic patientsSeong Jin Lee
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chuncheon 200 704, South Korea
Metabolism 55:1-7. 2006..We performed a case-control study to investigate whether V16A polymorphism of manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) gene is related to pathogenesis of diabetes and whether the polymorphism is associated with ..
- Specificity protein 1-dependent p53-mediated suppression of human manganese superoxide dismutase gene expressionSanjit Kumar Dhar
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Biol Chem 281:21698-709. 2006b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is a primary antioxidant enzyme necessary for the survival of aerobic life. Previously, we demonstrated that specificity protein 1 (Sp1) is essential for the basal transcription of the MnSOD gene...
- Genetic polymorphism in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene is associated with an increased risk for hepatocellular carcinoma in HCV-infected Moroccan patientsSayeh Ezzikouri
Laboratoire de Virologie, Institut Pasteur du Maroc 1, Place Louis Pasteur, 20100, Casablanca, Morocco
Mutat Res 649:1-6. 2008..b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) catalyses the detoxification of free radicals, thus playing a crucial role in the protection ..
- Gene polymorphisms of superoxide dismutases and catalase in diabetes mellitusMilan Flekac
3rd Dept, of Internal Medicine, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
BMC Med Genet 9:30. 2008..Protective role of scavenger enzymes may be deteriorated by oxidative stress. This study was undertaken to investigate the association between gene polymorphisms of selected antioxidant enzymes and vascular complications of DM...
- Association between manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphism and risk of lung cancerJasmina Zejnilovic
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Istanbul University, 34116, Beyazit Istanbul, Turkey
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 189:1-4. 2009b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is one of the major enzymes responsible for the defense against oxidative damage due to reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the mitochondria...
- Isolation and characterization of complementary DNAs encoding human manganese-containing superoxide dismutaseY S Ho
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710
FEBS Lett 229:256-60. 1988cDNAs coding for human manganese-containing superoxide dismutase (Mn SOD) have been isolated from a human liver and a dibutyryl cyclic AMP differentiated U937 cDNA library constructed in vector lambda gtll...
- Human mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphic variant Ile58Thr reduces activity by destabilizing the tetrameric interfaceG E Borgstahl
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Biochemistry 35:4287-97. 1996Human manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is a homotetrameric enzyme which protects mitochondria against oxygen-mediated free radical damage...
- On signal sequence polymorphisms and diseases of distributionJ S Rosenblum
Department of Chemistry, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:4471-3. 1996..Progeria and related syndromes may be diseases of distribution...
- Structural dimorphism in the mitochondrial targeting sequence in the human manganese superoxide dismutase gene. A predictive evidence for conformational change to influence mitochondrial transport and a study of allelic association in Parkinson's diseaseS Shimoda-Matsubayashi
Department of Neurology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 226:561-5. 1996..Furthermore, no structural polymorphism for manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) gene has been studied in human population...
- Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase selectively modulates the activity of Jun-associated transcription factors in fibrosarcoma cellsK K Kiningham
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536, USA
Cancer Res 57:5265-71. 1997b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is reduced in a variety of tumor cells and has been proposed to be a new type of tumor suppressor gene. The mechanism(s) by which MnSOD suppresses cancer development is currently unknown...
- Genetic association of manganese superoxide dismutase with exudative age-related macular degenerationK Kimura
Department of Ophthalmology, Kagoshima University Faculty of Medicine, Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima shi, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 130:769-73. 2000..To elucidate whether any polymorphic genes for xenobiotic-metabolizing and antioxidant enzymes are associated with the development of exudative age-related macular degeneration...
- Lack of association between polymorphisms of catalase, copper-zinc superoxide dismutase (SOD), extracellular SOD and endothelial nitric oxide synthase genes and macroangiopathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusO Ukkola
Department of Internal Medicine and Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Finland
J Intern Med 249:451-9. 2001..The prevalence of the missense Glu298Asp variant of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) gene and its association with macroangiopathy were also determined...
- The -9Ala/-9Val polymorphism in the mitochondrial targeting sequence of the manganese superoxide dismutase gene (MnSOD) is associated with age among Hispanics with colorectal carcinomaJan Stoehlmacher
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Oncol Rep 9:235-8. 2002Recently a T to C substitution in the mitochondrial targeting sequence of the manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) gene was observed that changes the amino acid sequence of the protein from valine (V) to alanine (A) and is associated ..
- Manganese superoxide dismutase genotypes and asbestos-associated pulmonary disordersAri Hirvonen
Department of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, FIN 00250 Helsinki, Finland
Cancer Lett 178:71-4. 2002b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) activity is highly elevated in the biopsies of human asbestos-associated malignant mesothelioma...
- NF-kappaB-dependent MnSOD expression protects adenocarcinoma cells from TNF-alpha-induced apoptosisSylvie Delhalle
Laboratory of Medical Chemistry and Human Genetics, Center for Cellular and Molecular Therapy, CHU B35, Sart Tilman, University of Liege, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Oncogene 21:3917-24. 2002..Induction of the antioxidant enzyme MnSOD was detected only in TNF-alpha-treated OVCAR, MCF7A/Z and HCT116 cells but not in MT cells...
- Superoxide dismutase multigene family: a comparison of the CuZn-SOD (SOD1), Mn-SOD (SOD2), and EC-SOD (SOD3) gene structures, evolution, and expressionIgor N Zelko
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 33:337-49. 2002..A single amino acid mutation in human SOD3 is associated with 10 to 30-fold increases in serum SOD3 levels. As more information is obtained, further insights will be gained...
- Valine-alanine manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphism is not associated with alcohol-induced oxidative stress or liver fibrosisStephen F Stewart
Centre for Liver Research, and Department of Pharmacological Sciences, Medical School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Hepatology 36:1355-60. 2002..that homozygosity for a valine to alanine substitution in the mitochondrial targeting sequence of manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) represents a risk factor for severe ALD...
- Paradoxical effects of thiol reagents on Jurkat cells and a new thiol-sensitive mutant form of human mitochondrial superoxide dismutaseDaniel Hernandez-Saavedra
Webb Waring Institute for Cancer, Aging, and Antioxidant Research, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Cancer Res 63:159-63. 2003..Jurkat cells are heterozygous for a new mutation, L60F, in exon 3 of the mature protein. Our findings suggest a possible association between decreased SOD2 activity and malignant phenotype...
- The polymorphism of manganese superoxide dismutase is associated with diabetic nephropathy in Japanese type 2 diabetic patientsTakashi Nomiyama
Department of Medicine, Metabolism and Endocrinology, School of Medicine, Juntendo University, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Hum Genet 48:138-41. 2003..the relationship of an alanine or valine polymorphism at amino acid sequence 16 [Val(16)Ala] of manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) with diabetes and diabetic nephropathy in Japanese type 2 diabetic patients...
- Suppression of the malignant phenotype in human pancreatic cancer cells by the overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutaseChristine Weydert
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 2:361-9. 2003..One component of the antioxidant system, manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), is localized in the mitochondria, and the levels of this protein have been previously shown ..
- Prediction of normal tissue radiosensitivity from polymorphisms in candidate genesChristian Nicolaj Andreassen
Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, Aarhus C DK 8000, Denmark
Radiother Oncol 69:127-35. 2003..This study investigates whether seven selected SNPs in five candidate genes influence risk of subcutaneous fibrosis and telangiectasia after radiotherapy...
- Genetic polymorphisms of MPO, COMT, MnSOD, NQO1, interactions with environmental exposures and bladder cancer riskRayjean J Hung
International Agency of Research on Cancer, Lyon 69008, France
Carcinogenesis 25:973-8. 2004..b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) protects cells from free radical injury...
- Genetic variants of GPX1 and SOD2 and breast cancer risk at the Ontario site of the Breast Cancer Family RegistryJulia A Knight
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:146-9. 2004..30 for carriers versus noncarriers). There is a significant trend of increasing risk with increasing number of alleles with four GCG repeats (P = 0.03). This variant has not previously been reported to be associated with breast cancer...
- Polymorphisms of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein gene and manganese superoxide dismutase gene in non-alcoholic steatohepatitisChikako Namikawa
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku 783 8505 Japan
J Hepatol 40:781-6. 2004..The pathogenesis of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) is poorly understood. The aim of this study was to examine genetic influences on NASH pathogenesis...
- Vascular protection: superoxide dismutase isoforms in the vessel wallFrank M Faraci
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Center, University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242 1081, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1367-73. 2004..This area is important because reactive oxygen species and superoxide anion are thought to play major roles in changes in vascular structure and function in pathophysiology...
- Manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphism, plasma antioxidants, cigarette smoking, and risk of breast cancerRulla M Tamimi
Department ofEpidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:989-96. 2004Oxidative stress may be involved in the development of breast cancer. Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is one of the primary enzymes that directly scavenge potential harmful oxidizing species...
- HIV-1 Tat-mediated protein transduction of Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase into pancreatic beta cells in vitro and in vivoWon Sik Eum
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chunchon 200 702, South Korea
Free Radic Biol Med 37:339-49. 2004..These results suggest that the transduction of Tat-SOD offers a new strategy for protecting pancreatic beta cells from destruction by relieving oxidative stress in ROS-implicated diabetes...
- Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase promotes the survival of prostate cancer cells exposed to hyperthermiaSujatha Venkataraman
Department of Radiation Oncology, Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, EMRB 68, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1101, USA
Free Radic Res 38:1119-32. 2004..In this study, the prostate cancer cell line, PC-3, and its manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD)-overexpressing clones were subjected to hyperthermia (43 degrees C, 1 h)...
- Polymorphisms in genes related to oxidative stress (MPO, MnSOD, CAT) and survival after treatment for breast cancerChristine B Ambrosone
Department of Epidemiology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Cancer Res 65:1105-11. 2005..Because mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase catalyzes conversion of superoxide radicals to H(2)O(2), with catalase neutralizing H(2)O(2) and ..
- No apparent association between genetic polymorphisms (-102 C>T) and (-9 T>C) in the human manganese superoxide dismutase gene and gastric cancer(1)Robert C G Martin
Department of Surgery, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
J Surg Res 124:92-7. 2005b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) plays a critical role in the detoxification of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species, constituting a major cellular defense mechanism against agents that induce oxidative stress...
- Genetic dimorphism in superoxide dismutase and susceptibility to alcoholic cirrhosis, hepatocellular carcinoma, and deathPierre Nahon
Service d Hepatologie, Hopital Jean Verdier, AP HP, Bondy, France
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:292-8. 2005..dimorphism encodes for either alanine (Ala) or valine (Val) in the mitochondrial targeting sequence of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), and modulates its mitochondrial import...
- TGFB1 polymorphisms are associated with risk of late normal tissue complications in the breast after radiotherapy for early breast cancerChristian Nicolaj Andreassen
Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Radiother Oncol 75:18-21. 2005..005) as well as the TGFB1 position -509 T allele (P=0.018) and increased risk of altered breast appearance. No significant associations were found for the remaining SNPs...
- Manganese superoxide dismutase induces p53-dependent senescence in colorectal cancer cellsLars Behrend
Division of Gene Therapy, University of Ulm, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 25:7758-69. 2005The mitochondrial enzyme manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is known to suppress cell growth in different tumor cell lines. However, the molecular mechanism of this growth-retarding effect is not fully understood...
- Manganese superoxide dismutase suppresses hypoxic induction of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha and vascular endothelial growth factorMin Wang
Department of Radiation Oncology, Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1181, USA
Oncogene 24:8154-66. 2005..These cofactors contribute to the redox environment of cells. The antioxidant enzyme manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) also modulates the cellular redox environment...
- Mitochondrial manganese-superoxide dismutase expression in ovarian cancer: role in cell proliferation and response to oxidative stressYumin Hu
Department of Molecular Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 280:39485-92. 2005....
- Genotype-activity relationship for Mn-superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase 1 and catalase in humansMaria Bastaki
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94608, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 16:279-86. 2006This study examined the association between genetic polymorphisms and enzyme activity for antioxidant enzymes that share a common detoxification pathway: manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPX1) and catalase.
- Association between manganese superoxide dismutase promoter gene polymorphism and breast cancer survivalRobert C G Martin
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Breast Cancer Res 8:R45. 2006b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) plays a critical role in the detoxification of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species, constituting a major cellular defense mechanism against agents that induce oxidative stress...
- Risk of radiation-induced subcutaneous fibrosis in relation to single nucleotide polymorphisms in TGFB1, SOD2, XRCC1, XRCC3, APEX and ATM--a study based on DNA from formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue samplesC N Andreassen
Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Int J Radiat Biol 82:577-86. 2006..X-ray repair cross-complementing 1 gene), XRCC3 (X-ray repair cross-complementing 3 gene), SOD2 (manganese superoxide dismutase gene) and ATM (gene of ataxia telangiectasia mutated)...
- Association of manganese superoxide dismutase gene polymorphism (V16A) with diabetic macular edema in Korean type 2 diabetic patientsSeong Jin Lee
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chuncheon Sacred Heart Hospital, Kangwon Do 200 704, South Korea
Metabolism 55:1681-8. 2006This study was designed to investigate whether V16A polymorphism of the manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) gene is associated with the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus and with progression of diabetic retinopathy (DR) and ..
- Polymorphisms in genes related to oxidative stress (CAT, MnSOD, MPO, and eNOS) and acute toxicities from radiation therapy following lumpectomy for breast cancerJiyoung Ahn
Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Science, Department of Epidemiology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:7063-70. 2006..exerts cytotoxic effects via generation of massive oxidative stress, we hypothesized that catalase, manganese superoxide dismutase, myeloperoxidase (MPO), and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) genotypes might result in greater ..
- Proteome analysis of human macrophages reveals the upregulation of manganese-containing superoxide dismutase after toll-like receptor activationRiitta Rakkola
Turku Centre for Biotechnology, University of Turku and Abo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
Proteomics 7:378-84. 2007....
- Mitochondrial Diabetes & Manganic Porphyrin TreatmentDouglas C Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2010..These mice will also be treated with the metalloporphyrinmimetics to determine if these drugs will then delay the development of the symptoms and the accumulation of the somatic mtDNA mutations. ..
- Mitochondrial Oxidative Stress In Angiotensis II Induced Endothelial DysfunctionSergey Dikalov; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- REGULATION OF PULMONARY CIRCULATION IN FETUS AND NEWBORNGirija G Konduri; Fiscal Year: 2013..The expression of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is also decreased in PPHN...
- Redox Control of Apoptosis SignalingMARGARET BRIEHL; Fiscal Year: 2009..3) To use immunohistochemistry and PCR-based assays to test whether decreased expression of manganese superoxide dismutase occurs in different types of lymphoma and is associated with polymorphisms that alter the transport of ..
- Interaction Between DNA Repair and Antioxidant Genes During AgingCarlos A Torres Ramos; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we propose a developmental plan whose objective is to lead the PI to improve his publication record and generate the preliminary data necessary for the submission of non-SCORE competitive research grants. ..
- MbSOD in chemotherapeutic-Induced Cardiac InjuryDaret K St Clair; Fiscal Year: 2012..and isolated cardiomyocytes indicate that overexpression of the mitochondrial antioxidant enzyme manganese containing superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) protects the heart against adriamycin (ADR)-induced cardiac injury...
- Salman Azhar; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- TRANSGENIC MICE, AGING, CANCER, AND OXIDATIVE DAMAGEArlan Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2001..4. To measure parameters of mitochondrial function (e.g., mitochondrial respiration, hydrogen peroxide generation, and permeability transition) in tissues of wild type, Sod2+/-, and Sod2+/-XGpx1+/-F1 mice at 5, 14 and 26 moths of age. ..
- Role of Reactive Oxygen Species in B Lymphoma FateGregory B Carey; Fiscal Year: 2012..respiration, all resulted in the rapid loss of Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase (SOD1) protein expression and not MnSOD (SOD2) or catalase, showing that SOD1 is a critical target of BCR signaling...
- The Organ Specific Role of Superoxide Dismutase in SepsisAlix Ashare; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have the potential to greatly impact the management of a complex disease which has a high mortality and, thus far, few therapeutic options which improve outcome. ..
- Neelam Azad; Fiscal Year: 2015..Aim 3 is designed to evaluate if antioxidants such as manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) mediate lung fibrosis by regulating the angiogenic (PI3K/Akt->HIF-1->VEGF) pathway...
- MANGANESE REDOX BIOCHEMISTRYJames W Whittaker; Fiscal Year: 2012..Biomedically important enzymes including Mn superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), Mn catalase (MnC), and oxalate oxidase (OXO) require a catalytic manganese cofactor for their ..
- Mitochondrial SOD as a Target for Diabetic NeuropathyEVA LUCILLE FELDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our studies will identify cellular targets for treatment of DN and have the potential to benefit all patients with diabetes. ..
- Protein Nitration in the PlacentaLeslie Myatt; Fiscal Year: 2012..The involvement of the mtNOS, eNOS and iNOS isoforms, NOX enzymes and manganese superoxide dismutase in nitration and the role of hypoxia and hypoxia/reoxygenation on protein nitration and the apoptotic ..
- William H St Clair; Fiscal Year: 2015..aggressive prostate cancers have high nuclear RelB, a member of the alternative pathway of NF-:B and manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), a critical antioxidant enzyme levels;2) suppression of RelB in androgen independent-..
- Pak H Chan; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- CARRIE ANN JESSICA OLIVIA GORDON; Fiscal Year: 2014..Increased understanding of CVD molecular mechanisms will improve strategies towards the treatment, prevention and diagnosis of CVD. ..
- Mitochondria, Superoxide &MnSOD in a fetal hypoxic cerebral palsy modelMatthew Derrick; Fiscal Year: 2012..One of the primary enzymes that removes superoxide one of the major sources of oxidative stress, is manganese superoxide dismutase which is found in the mitochondria The hypothesis is the level of mitochondrial dysfunction and ..
- Effects of SOD2 genotype, oxidative stress, ER??, and genistein on prostate canceMaarten C Bosland; Fiscal Year: 2012..Genistein also affects the expression of the manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) gene and polymorphisms in this gene are related to risk of prostate cancer...
- Scott K Powers; Fiscal Year: 2016..e., manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD2) and glutathione) and/or 2) heat shock protein 72 (HSP72)...
- Prabhat C Goswami; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our data show that molecular and pharmacologically induced overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) suppresses age-associated increase in mitochondrial injury, and extends chronological lifespan...
- Ines Batinic-Haberle; Fiscal Year: 2014..Thus therapeutics able to accumulate in mitochondria are preferable. Superoxide dismutase, both mitochondrial MnSOD and cytosolic Cu,ZnSOD isoform, plays a key role in ischemic stroke, maintaining the physiological redox status of ..
- REDOX REGULATION OF TUMOR SUPPRESSION BY MNSODDaret K St Clair; Fiscal Year: 2012..of this research is to elucidate the mechanisms by which the mitochondrial antioxidant enzyme, manganese containing superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), modulates the carcinogenesis action of tumor promoters and UV radiation...
- Joel S Greenberger; Fiscal Year: 2016..Project 4 seeks to identify agents that stabilize mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase by preventing nitration...
- FUNCTIONAL STUDIES OF CYTOSOLIC ANTIOXIDANT PROTEINSJoan Selverstone Valentine; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, we address the question of why the matrix enzyme manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) does not fully protect the mitochondrial matrix under conditions of high superoxide flux...
- Mitochondrial SOD & Breast Cancer Risk-MechanismJAMES YAGER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Val-9Ala polymorphism affects the secondary structure of the import sequence in mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD)...
- Sihem Boudina; Fiscal Year: 2016..address this, we generated mice with increased superoxide production in adipocytes through deletion of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), the sole enzyme responsible for detoxifying superoxide to hydrogen peroxide in the ..
- Epigenetic regulation of SOD2 and CFH gene expression in the aging RPEZeljka Smit-McBride; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this application, we propose to study the age-related epigenetic regulation of wild type alleles of manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD2) and complement factor H (CFH), two genes whose variant alleles are associated with the risk of ..
- Regulation of caspase-1 by Sod2 in the heartKumuda C Das; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is an antioxidant enzyme located in the mitochondria that provides critical protection against ..
- Matthew C Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2014..via adenoviral-mediated overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), the O2...
- Daret K St Clair; Fiscal Year: 2014..Our studies have identified the mitochondrial antioxidant enzyme manganese containing superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) as an important regulator that can both modulate the development of cancer and be ..
- Firouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2015..function of the bladder, and transgenic mice with conditional, smooth muscle-selective deletion of the manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) gene], we will test our hypotheses in two Specific Aims: SA#1- To distinguish the roles of ..
- PKM2 inhibition and redox regulation in chemopreventionYunfeng Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2013..skin epidermal cell line, promotable JB6 (P+) and non-promotable (P-) cells with varying levels of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) expression, to determine a relationship between oxidative stress and PKM2 activation...
- Novel up-regulators of NF-kB activity: effect on MnSOD and TBI in vitro modelsMaurizio Grimaldi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Increased oxidant generation is counteracted by the activity of cellular enzymes such manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD)...
- Neurovascular Dysfunction, BBB Disruption and Oxidative Stress in Ischemic BrainPak H Chan; Fiscal Year: 2011..We believe these are novel studies that will provide insights into therapeutic opportunities to minimize oxidative stress-associated hemorrhagic transformation in patients who suffer acute ischemic stroke. ..
- LIPID PEROXIDATION IN COLORECTAL CANCERManuela Gago Dominguez; Fiscal Year: 2009..stress-related genes, including myeloperoxidase (MPO), endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase (ecNOS), manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase (GPX1), catalase (CAT), glutathione S- transferase ..
- Regulation of Tumor Cell Migration by Mitochondrial Superoxide DismutaseNadine Hempel; Fiscal Year: 2010..An important regulatory enzyme of Redox balance is the mitochondrially expressed manganese superoxide dismutase (Sod2), which catalyzes the conversion of superoxide anion to hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)...
- Mechanism of Irradiation Pulmonary FibrosisJoel S Greenberger; Fiscal Year: 2012..Both migrations are significantly reduced by intrapulmonary manganese superoxide dismutase-plasmid liposome (MnSOD-PL) gene therapy...
- Tzung K Hsiai; Fiscal Year: 2015..In summary, the publication record (30 corresponding authors) of our laboratory in the previous funding cycle is a testimony of our commitment and productivity in mechanobiology and vascular oxidative stress research. ..
- Serpil C Erzurum; Fiscal Year: 2016..The HIF-expression is mechanistically linked to the alterations in STAT3, NO and Mn superoxide dismutase (MnSOD)...
- Role of Mitochondria in Estrogen Action and Cellular SenescenceMichael C Velarde; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal can help explain the beneficial effects of estrogen on skin, and potentially identify the mitochondrion as an important organelle for estrogen action during the aging process of skin. ..
- David Gius; Fiscal Year: 2015..shown that intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS), as well as the mitochondrial superoxide dismutase gene (MnSOD) - the primary superoxide scavenging protein - play a role in aging and carcinogenesis...
- Manganese Superoxide Dismutase and Renal Ischemia/ReperfusionLEE A MACMILLAN-CROW; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our laboratory has demonstrated that the major antioxidant in the mitochondria, manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), is inactivated during renal transplantation (human and rodent) and renal I/R...
- PPARgamma signaling pathway in cardiac hypertrophy and failureQinglin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- POSTTRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATION OF ANTIOXIDANT ENZYMESLINDA CLERCH; Fiscal Year: 2002..The experiments will test the hypothesis that catalase and manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) RNA 3' and 5' untranslated regions (UTRs) and their corresponding binding proteins affect RNA ..
- SELENIUM AND LUNG CANCER RISKHenry Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2004..if levels of oxidative damage in asbestos exposed individuals differ based on polymorphisms in manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) that have been associated with lung cancer risk, and assess ..
- Catarina M Quinzii; Fiscal Year: 2014..scavenging as a potential therapeutic strategy, she will overexpress the enzyme superoxide manganese dismutase (MnSOD) in COQ2 mutant fibroblasts and will assess level of ROS, oxidative stress, and apoptosis...
- Simultaneous Time-Resolved X-ray Spectroscopy and Crystallography: A MechanisticRosalie Tran; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Ribosomal Proteins in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell ProliferationElaine M Smolock; Fiscal Year: 2010..At a basic science level, investigation of the role of ribosomal protein function VSMC growth and inflammation will provide novel information regarding the molecular pathways in vascular homeostasis. ..
- Diabetic Uropathy Pathobiology SiteFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2010..effects of diabetes on the bladder function in small animals, we hypothesize that depletion of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) specifically in smooth muscle of adult mice will exacerbate accumulation of free radicals in ..
- A Mechanistic Study of Methamphetamine Neurotoxicity: Involvement of HO-1 & MnSOMELINDA LEA ASBURY; Fiscal Year: 2010..in particular the contribution of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), reactive nitrogen species (RNS) and manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD)...
- Chromatin Remodeling and SOD2 Expression in CancerFrederick Domann; Fiscal Year: 2009Project Summary/Abstract: The ubiquitously expressed antioxidant enzyme manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), encoded by the gene SOD2, has been implicated as having a role in cancer initiation and/or progression;however, it remains ..
- SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE STRUCTURES AND LOU GEHRIGS DISEASEJohn A Tainer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Together our SOD results including comparative analyses of human Cu,ZnSOD, MnSOD and microbial SODs, plus other published data including binding of FALS mutant SOD to stress response proteins ..
- Intracellular Pathways of Manganese TraffickingValeria C Culotta; Fiscal Year: 2012..Overall, this multi-disciplinary approach to understanding manganese ion biology should provide novel insight into the homeostasis of a toxic nutrient. ..
- IGF::OT::IGF R&D- MEDICAL: BIOMEDICAL (BASIC RESEARCH) A NOVEL AGENT THAT REDUCEJeffery Fairman; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the FDA, cGMP JVRSOD will be manufactured, and it will be tested in humans for safety I efficacy in a Phase 1111 clinical trial with head and neck cancer patients undergoing standard of care radiation treatment ..
- NITRIC OXIDE/SUPEROXIDE IN LIPID VASCULAR DISEASETIMOTHY O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2000..by overexpressing the genes for endothelial eNOS, copper zinc superoxide dismutase (CuZnSOD)and manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) in the hypercholesterolemic rabbit carotid artery...
- SUPEROXIDE REGULATION OF FIBROSARCOMA CELL GROWTHJUAN MELENDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..Preliminary studies conducted by the applicant demonstrate that manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) overexpression, an enzyme which catalyzes the removal of superoxide from the mitochondria, is ..
- Nitric Oxide in Pulmonary HypertensionSerpil Erzurum; Fiscal Year: 2009..The HIF-expression is mechanistically linked to the alterations in STAT3, NO and Mn superoxide dismutase (MnSOD)...
- 5ASA REGULATION OF MNSOD IN INTESTINAL CELLSJohn Valentine; Fiscal Year: 2002..of action of 5-ASA remains unclear, however, we have found that 5-ASA induces a cytoprotective enzyme, manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), at concentrations obtained in the colon of patients taking sulfasalazine orally...
- GLIAL ACTIVATION IN AGED MEMORY IMPAIRED RATSKiminobu Sugaya; Fiscal Year: 1999..Subsequently, if we establish a relationship between memory impairment and glial activation in this animal model, it will be a good tool to develop noel therapeutics based on regulation of glial activity. ..
- PROTEIN MODIFICATION BY NITRATION IN AGING RATSReiko Matsui; Fiscal Year: 2001..of other proteins: another regulator for relaxation (prostacyclin synthase), a superoxide scavenger (manganese superoxide dismutase:Mn-SOD), and a signaling molecule (phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase) are nitrated in various conditions...
- REGULATION OF THE MANGANESE SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE GENESusan Church; Fiscal Year: 1991..We have found that there is tissue-specific MNSOD MRNA expression in humans and that human placenta expresses four different MNSOD transcripts...