Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HIST1H4A
Description: histone cluster 1 H4 family member a
Alias: H4FA, histone H4, H4 histone family, member A, histone 1, H4a, histone cluster 1, H4a
Publications112 found, 100 shown here
- A Cullin3-KLHL20 Ubiquitin ligase-dependent pathway targets PML to potentiate HIF-1 signaling and prostate cancer progressionWei Chien Yuan
Institute of Biological Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Cancer Cell 20:214-28. 2011..Our study indicates that the KLHL20-mediated PML degradation and HIF-1α autoregulation play key roles in tumor progression...
- Genomewide association study for determinants of HIV-1 acquisition and viral set point in HIV-1 serodiscordant couples with quantified virus exposureJairam R Lingappa
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28632. 2011..To minimize misclassification of HIV-1 risk, we quantified HIV-1 exposure, using data including plasma HIV-1 concentrations, gender, and condom use...
- ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling by the Cockayne syndrome B DNA repair-transcription-coupling factorE Citterio
Medical Genetic Center, Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Center for Biomedical Genetics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Biol 20:7643-53. 2000..CSB is the first repair protein found to play a direct role in modulating nucleosome structure. The relevance of this finding to the interplay between transcription and repair is discussed...
- Targeted recruitment of a histone H4-specific methyltransferase by the transcription factor YY1Natalie Rezai-Zadeh
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa 33612, USA
Genes Dev 17:1019-29. 2003..we report that the sequence-specific DNA-binding transcription factor Yin Yang 1 (YY1) binds to and recruits the histone H4 (Arg 3)-specific methyltransferase, PRMT1, to a YY1-activated promoter...
- The proline repeat domain of p53 binds directly to the transcriptional coactivator p300 and allosterically controls DNA-dependent acetylation of p53David Dornan
Cancer Research UK Laboratories, p53 Signal Transduction Group, Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 23:8846-61. 2003....
- Reading and function of a histone code involved in targeting corepressor complexes for repressionHo Geun Yoon
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:324-35. 2005..Our studies provide an in vivo example that a histone code is not read independently but is recognized in the context of other interactions...
- L3MBTL1, a histone-methylation-dependent chromatin lockPatrick Trojer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 683 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Cell 129:915-28. 2007..this, we found that the L3MBTL1 MBT domains compact nucleosomal arrays dependent on mono- and dimethylation of histone H4 lysine 20 and of histone H1b lysine 26...
- Histone H4 lysine 20 monomethylation promotes transcriptional repression by L3MBTL1N Kalakonda
Laboratory of Molecular Aspects of Hematopoiesis, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, NY, USA
Oncogene 27:4293-304. 2008..Our studies identify the importance of H4K20 monomethylation and of PR-SET7 for L3MBTL1 function...
- Histone deacetylase 3 is selectively involved in L3MBTL2-mediated transcriptional repressionJung Yoon Yoo
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Genetic Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, South Korea
FEBS Lett 584:2225-30. 2010..Taken together, our results reveal the concerted action of both HDAC3 and L3MBTL2 in histone deacetylation and methylation-dependent transcriptional repression...
- The integrated activities of IRF-2 (HiNF-M), CDP/cut (HiNF-D) and H4TF-2 (HiNF-P) regulate transcription of a cell cycle controlled human histone H4 gene: mechanistic differences between distinct H4 genesF Aziz
Department of Cell Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655, USA
Mol Biol Rep 25:1-12. 1998Maximal transcription of a prototypical cell cycle controlled histone H4 gene requires a proliferation-specific in vivo genomic protein/DNA interaction element, Site II...
- Functional analysis of the p300 acetyltransferase domain: the PHD finger of p300 but not of CBP is dispensable for enzymatic activityL Bordoli
Institute for Molecular Biology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Nucleic Acids Res 29:4462-71. 2001....
- Identification of a functionally impaired positive regulatory domain I binding factor 1 transcription repressor in myeloma cell linesIldiko Gyory
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Immunol 170:3125-33. 2003..The expression of each of the truncated proteins is elevated in cancerous cells and may play an important role in the disease...
- MICoA, a novel metastasis-associated protein 1 (MTA1) interacting protein coactivator, regulates estrogen receptor-alpha transactivation functionsSandip K Mishra
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 278:19209-19. 2003....
- Histone sumoylation is associated with transcriptional repressionYuzuru Shiio
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 4417, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:13225-30. 2003..Here we report that histone H4 is modified by small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO) family proteins both in vivo and in vitro...
- EID-2, a novel member of the EID family of p300-binding proteins inhibits transactivation by MyoDAimin Ji
Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, MRL 3 645, 675 C E Young Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1760, USA
Gene 318:35-43. 2003..These data suggest that EID-1 and -2 represent a novel family of proteins that negatively regulate differentiation through a p300-dependent mechanism...
- Histone H3.1 and H3.3 complexes mediate nucleosome assembly pathways dependent or independent of DNA synthesisHideaki Tagami
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 116:51-61. 2004..This finding provides new insights into possible mechanisms for maintenance of epigenetic information after chromatin duplication...
- Nemo-like kinase suppresses a wide range of transcription factors, including nuclear factor-kappaBJun Yasuda
Cancer Transcriptome Project, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Cancer Sci 95:52-7. 2004..The extent of suppression by NLK was similar among the transcription factors tested (50-60% reduction). Our results suggest that NLK may suppress a wide range of gene expression, possibly through CBP...
- AML1 is functionally regulated through p300-mediated acetylation on specific lysine residuesYuko Yamaguchi
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8655, USA
J Biol Chem 279:15630-8. 2004..Taken together, these data indicate that acetylation of AML1 through p300 is a critical manner of posttranslational modification and identify a novel mechanism for regulating the function of AML1...
- In vitro acetylation of HMGB-1 and -2 proteins by CBP: the role of the acidic tailEvdokia Pasheva
Institute of Molecular Biology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Biochemistry 43:2935-40. 2004..The alterations in the acetylation pattern of HMGB-1 and -2 upon removal of the C-terminal tail are regarded as a means by which the acidic domain modulates some properties of these proteins...
- Identification of proteins interacting with the RNAPII FCP1 phosphatase: FCP1 forms a complex with arginine methyltransferase PRMT5 and it is a substrate for PRMT5-mediated methylationStefano Amente
Department of Genetics, General and Molecular Biology, University of Naples Federico II Naples, Via Mezzocannone 8, 80134 Naples, Italy
FEBS Lett 579:683-9. 2005..We found that FCP1 is a genuine substrate of PRMT5-methylation both in vivo and in vitro, and FCP1-associated PRMT5 can methylate histones H4 in vitro...
- A WW domain protein TAZ is a critical coactivator for TBX5, a transcription factor implicated in Holt-Oram syndromeMasao Murakami
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, 75390 9148, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:18034-9. 2005..These findings reveal key roles for TAZ and YAP in the control of TBX5-dependent transcription and suggest the involvement of these coactivators in cardiac and limb development...
- Regulation of histone acetyltransferase activity of p300 and PCAF by proto-oncogene protein DEKSoo Il Ko
Department of Life Science, College of Natural Sciences, Chung Ang University, Seoul 156 756, Republic of Korea
FEBS Lett 580:3217-22. 2006..Collectively, our data illustrate the important regulatory role played by protein DEK in transcriptional regulation, and suggest that transcription-regulating acidic domain regions may play a role in leukemogenesis...
- The testis-specific factor CTCFL cooperates with the protein methyltransferase PRMT7 in H19 imprinting control region methylationPetar Jelinic
Institute of Pathology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS Biol 4:e355. 2006..Symmetrical dimethyl arginine 3 of histone H4, a modification catalyzed by PRMT7, accumulates in germ cells during this developmental period...
- The nucleosome assembly activity of NAP1 is enhanced by AlienMaren Eckey
Institute of Human Genetics and Anthropology, Friedrich Schiller University, 07740 Jena, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 27:3557-68. 2007..Based on these findings, we present here a novel pathway linking corepressor function with nucleosome assembly activity...
- Promoter region-specific histone incorporation by the novel histone chaperone ANP32B and DNA-binding factor KLF5Yoshiko Munemasa
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 28:1171-81. 2008....
- The histone-binding protein COPR5 is required for nuclear functions of the protein arginine methyltransferase PRMT5Matthieu Lacroix
Institut de Genetique Moleculaire de Montpellier, Universite de Montpellier, Montpellier 34293, France
EMBO Rep 9:452-8. 2008..PRMT5 bound to COPR5 methylates histone H4 (R3) preferentially when compared with histone H3 (R8), suggesting that COPR5 modulates the substrate ..
- A new coactivator function for Zac1's C2H2 zinc finger DNA-binding domain in selectively controlling PCAF activityAnke Hoffmann
Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstr 2 10, D 80804 Munich, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 28:6078-93. 2008..of PCAF substrates as well as the catalytic activities of PCAF to induce a selective switch in favor of histone H4 acetylation and thereby the efficient transcription of p21(Cip1)...
- A new paradigm for MAPK: structural interactions of hERK1 with mitochondria in HeLa cellsSoledad Galli
Laboratory of Cellular Dynamics, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e7541. 2009..This work indicates for the first time the presence of diverse ERK-complexes in mitochondria and thus provides a new perspective for assessing the functions of ERK1 in the regulation of cellular signalling and trafficking in HeLa cells...
- Histone H4K20/H3K9 demethylase PHF8 regulates zebrafish brain and craniofacial developmentHank H Qi
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 466:503-7. 2010..Here we provide multiple lines of evidence establishing PHF8 as the first mono-methyl histone H4 lysine 20 (H4K20me1) demethylase, with additional activities towards histone H3K9me1 and me2...
- Structural implications for K5/K12-di-acetylated histone H4 recognition by the second bromodomain of BRD2Takashi Umehara
RIKEN Systems and Structural Biology Center, Tsurumi, Yokohama, Japan
FEBS Lett 584:3901-8. 2010..mechanism for how the N-terminal bromodomain of human BRD2 (BRD2-BD1) deciphers the mono-acetylated status of histone H4 tail was recently reported...
- Nuclear cyclin D1/CDK4 kinase regulates CUL4 expression and triggers neoplastic growth via activation of the PRMT5 methyltransferasePriya Aggarwal
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, Department of Cancer Biology, Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
Cancer Cell 18:329-40. 2010..Importantly, human cancers harboring mutations in Fbx4, the cyclin D1 E3 ligase, exhibit nuclear cyclin D1 accumulation and increased PRMT5 activity...
- Structure of a CENP-A-histone H4 heterodimer in complex with chaperone HJURPHao Hu
National Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Genes Dev 25:901-6. 2011..The crystal structure of an HJURP-CENP-A-histone H4 complex shows that HJURP binds a CENP-A-H4 heterodimer...
- RNF8- and RNF168-dependent degradation of KDM4A/JMJD2A triggers 53BP1 recruitment to DNA damage sitesFrédérick A Mallette
Terry Fox Molecular Oncology Group and the Bloomfield Center for Research on Aging, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
EMBO J 31:1865-78. 2012..of the ubiquitination cascade controlled by the E3 ubiquitin ligases RNF8 and RNF168, and methylation of histone H4 on lysine 20...
- HJURP uses distinct CENP-A surfaces to recognize and to stabilize CENP-A/histone H4 for centromere assemblyEmily A Bassett
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 22:749-62. 2012..These data offer insight into the mechanism by which HJURP discriminates CENP-A from bulk histone complexes and chaperones CENP-A/H4 for a substantial portion of the cell cycle prior to mediating chromatin assembly at the centromere...
- The chromatin remodeling factor CSB recruits histone acetyltransferase PCAF to rRNA gene promoters in active state for transcription initiationMeili Shen
Key Laboratory of Cell Proliferation and Differentiation, National Key Laboratory of Protein Engineering and Plant Gene Engineering, College of Life Science, Peking University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e62668. 2013..CSB is required for the association of PCAF with rDNA, which induces acetylation of histone H4 and histone H3K9. Overexpression of CSB promotes the association of PCAF with rDNA...
- Structure of the p300 catalytic core and implications for chromatin targeting and HAT regulationManuela Delvecchio
1 European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Grenoble, France 2 Unit for Virus Host Cell Interactions, University of Grenoble Alpes, European Molecular Biology Laboratory Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Grenoble, France 3
Nat Struct Mol Biol 20:1040-6. 2013..The structure provides a starting point for understanding how chromatin-substrate targeting and HAT regulation are coupled and why mutations in the p300 core lead to dysregulation. ..
- Reduced H3K27me3 and DNA hypomethylation are major drivers of gene expression in K27M mutant pediatric high-grade gliomasSebastian Bender
Division of Pediatric Neurooncology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, and Immunology, Heidelberg University Hospital, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Cell 24:660-72. 2013....
- Histone deacetylase 1 and p300 can directly associate with chromatin and compete for binding in a mutually exclusive mannerXuehui Li
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e94523. 2014....
- Structural insights into recognition of acetylated histone ligands by the BRPF1 bromodomainMulu Y Lubula
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Colchester, VT 05446, USA
FEBS Lett 588:3844-54. 2014..Our results provide critical insights into the molecular mechanism of ligand binding by the BRPF1 bromodomain, and reveal that ordered water molecules are an essential component driving ligand recognition. ..
- Opposing ISWI- and CHD-class chromatin remodeling activities orchestrate heterochromatic DNA repairKarolin Klement
Robson DNA Science Centre, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Department of Oncology, Cumming School of Medicine University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada Robson DNA Science Centre, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Department of Oncology, Cumming School of Medicine University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada Robson DNA Science Centre, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Department of Oncology, Cumming School of Medicine University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
J Cell Biol 207:717-33. 2014..1 and ACF1), which we suggest necessitates a two-step dispersal and recruitment system regulating these opposing chromatin remodeling activities during DSB repair. ..
- Histone chaperone FACT coordinates nucleosome interaction through multiple synergistic binding eventsDuane D Winkler
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1870, USA
J Biol Chem 286:41883-92. 2011..Together, the data reveal that specific FACT subunits synchronize interactions with various target sites on individual nucleosomes to generate a high affinity binding event and promote reorganization...
- Crystal structures of the Tudor domains of human PHF20 reveal novel structural variations on the Royal Family of proteinsMelanie A Adams-Cioaba
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
FEBS Lett 586:859-65. 2012..We also confirm previous studies suggesting that the second Tudor domain of PHF20 exhibits preference for dimethylated histone substrates...
- A conserved function for the H2A.Z C terminusDaniel Wratting
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 287:19148-57. 2012..Z in both yeast and human cells are more loosely associated with chromatin than the full-length proteins, indicating a conserved function for the H2A.Z C-terminal tail in regulating the association of H2A.Z with nucleosomes...
- Human Asf1 regulates the flow of S phase histones during replicational stressAnja Groth
Institute of Cancer Biology, The Danish Cancer Society, Strandboulevarden 49, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Mol Cell 17:301-11. 2005....
- PRMT8, a new membrane-bound tissue-specific member of the protein arginine methyltransferase familyJaeho Lee
Science Park Research Division, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, Texas 78957, USA
J Biol Chem 280:32890-6. 2005..PRMT8 is thus an active arginine methyltransferase that is membrane-associated and tissue-specific, two firsts for this family of enzymes...
- Histone crosstalk between H3S10ph and H4K16ac generates a histone code that mediates transcription elongationAlessio Zippo
Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare Università di Siena, Siena, Italy
Cell 138:1122-36. 2009..the phosphorylated nucleosome and recruits the histone acetyltransferase MOF, which triggers the acetylation of histone H4 at lysine 16 (H4K16ac)...
- HJURP binds CENP-A via a highly conserved N-terminal domain and mediates its deposition at centromeresMuhammad Shuaib
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, The Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, the Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Universite de Strasbourg, Parc d Innovation, 1 rue Laurent Fries, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:1349-54. 2010..Our data identified HJURP as a vertebrate CENP-A chaperone and dissected its mode of interactions with CENP-A...
- Roles of coactivators in hypoxic induction of the erythropoietin geneFeng Wang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, and Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e10002. 2010..How/whether p300/CBP and the members of p160 coactivator family potentiate hypoxic induction of endogenous EPO and other HIF-2alpha and hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) target genes remains unclear...
- A novel proteomics approach to identify SUMOylated proteins and their modification sites in human cellsFrederic Galisson
CNRS FRE3238, Institut Andre Lwoff, Villejuif, France
Mol Cell Proteomics 10:M110.004796. 2011....
- TdIF2 is a nucleolar protein that promotes rRNA gene promoter activityKotaro Koiwai
Department of Applied Biological Science, Tokyo University of Science, Noda, Chiba, Japan
Genes Cells 16:748-64. 2011..In addition, TdIF2 promotes upstream binding factor (UBF) acetylation in vivo. Thus, TdIF2 might promote hrDNAP activity by suppressing Tip60's HAT activity and promoting UBF acetylation...
- The RING finger protein MSL2 in the MOF complex is an E3 ubiquitin ligase for H2B K34 and is involved in crosstalk with H3 K4 and K79 methylationLipeng Wu
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mol Cell 43:132-44. 2011..e., H4 K16 acetylation and H2B K34 ubiquitylation) through MOF and MSL2 subunits. They also shed light on how an intricate network of chromatin-modifying enzymes functions coordinately in gene activation...
- 6-alkylsalicylates are selective Tip60 inhibitors and target the acetyl-CoA binding siteMassimo Ghizzoni
Department of Pharmaceutical Gene Modulation, Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy, University of Groningen A Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Med Chem 47:337-44. 2012..In addition, these HAT inhibitors effectively inhibited acetyltransferase activity of nuclear extracts on the histone H3 and H4 at micromolar concentrations...
- Codanin-1, mutated in the anaemic disease CDAI, regulates Asf1 function in S-phase histone supplyKatrine Ask
Biotech Research and Innovation Centre BRIC, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
EMBO J 31:2013-23. 2012..This function is compromised by two CDAI mutations that impair complex formation with Asf1, providing insight into the molecular basis for CDAI disease...
- PRMT1 interacts with AML1-ETO to promote its transcriptional activation and progenitor cell proliferative potentialWei Jong Shia
Moores Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Blood 119:4953-62. 2012..More importantly, knockdown of PRMT1 suppresses the self-renewal capability of AE9a, suggesting a potential role of PRMT1 in regulating leukemia development...
- Structural basis for substrate specificity and catalysis of human histone acetyltransferase 1Hong Wu
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1L7
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:8925-30. 2012..member of the histone acetyltransferase superfamily and catalyzes lysine acetylation of newly synthesized histone H4. Here we report a 1...
- Protein-DNA interactions in vivo upstream of a cell cycle-regulated human H4 histone geneU Pauli
Science 236:1308-11. 1987..These protein-DNA interactions persist during all phases of the cell cycle and dissociate with 0.16 to 0.2M sodium chloride...
- Core histones and HIRIP3, a novel histone-binding protein, directly interact with WD repeat protein HIRAS Lorain
Biologie des Tumeurs Humaines, CNRS UMR 1598, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Mol Cell Biol 18:5546-56. 1998..In vitro, HIRA also interacted with core histone H4. H2B- and H4-binding domains were overlapping but distinguishable in the carboxy-terminal region of HIRA, and ..
- Factor-specific modulation of CREB-binding protein acetyltransferase activityV Perissi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0648, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:3652-7. 1999....
- Specificity determinants of substrate recognition by the protein kinase DYRK1AS Himpel
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, RWTH Aachen, 52057 Aachen, Germany
J Biol Chem 275:2431-8. 2000..This marked difference in substrate specificity between DYRK1A and ERK2 can be explained by the requirement for an arginine at the P -3 site of DYRK substrates and its presumed interaction with aspartate 247 conserved in all DYRKs...
- Cloning and characterization of a novel human histone deacetylase, HDAC8J J Buggy
Axys Pharmaceuticals, 180 Kimball Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Biochem J 350:199-205. 2000..immunopurified HDAC8 is shown to possess trichostatin A- and sodium butyrate-inhibitable HDAC activity on histone H4 peptide substrates as well as on core histones...
- Glucocorticoid receptor recruitment of histone deacetylase 2 inhibits interleukin-1beta-induced histone H4 acetylation on lysines 8 and 12K Ito
Thoracic Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine at the National Heart and Lung Institute, London, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 20:6891-903. 2000..Dexamethasone (10(-7) M) and IL-1beta (1 ng/ml) both stimulated HAT activity but showed a different pattern of histone H4 acetylation. Dexamethasone targeted lysines K5 and K16, whereas IL-1beta targeted K8 and K12...
- Identification of nuclear-import and cell-cycle regulatory proteins that bind to prothymosin alphaJ Freire
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Biochem Cell Biol 79:123-31. 2001..These results suggest (i) that ProT alpha is transported into the nucleus by the karyopherin beta1-Rch-1 complex, and (ii) that ProT alpha may interact in the nucleus with proteins involved in DNA metabolism and cell-cycle control...
- Methylation of histone H4 at arginine 3 facilitating transcriptional activation by nuclear hormone receptorH Wang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7295, USA
Science 293:853-7. 2001..Here, we report the purification, molecular identification, and functional characterization of a histone H4-specific methyltransferase PRMT1, a protein arginine methyltransferase...
- A role for coactivators and histone acetylation in estrogen receptor alpha-mediated transcription initiationM Y Kim
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Graduate Field of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
EMBO J 20:6084-94. 2001..Together, our results indicate a specific role for the SRC and p300/CBP coactivators, as well as targeted histone acetylation, in ERalpha-mediated transcription...
- Activation of AML1-mediated transcription by MOZ and inhibition by the MOZ-CBP fusion proteinI Kitabayashi
Cancer Genomics Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
EMBO J 20:7184-96. 2001..These results suggest that MOZ-CBP might induce leukemia by antagonizing the function of the AML1 complex...
- Purification and functional characterization of a histone H3-lysine 4-specific methyltransferaseH Wang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Mol Cell 8:1207-17. 2001..Thus, our study provides a molecular explanation to the differential effects of H3-K4 and H3-K9 methylation on transcription...
- Regulation of histone acetylation and transcription by nuclear protein pp32, a subunit of the INHAT complexSang Beom Seo
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 277:14005-10. 2002....
- The PHD type zinc finger is an integral part of the CBP acetyltransferase domainEric Kalkhoven
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, MGC Center for Biomedical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Biol 22:1961-70. 2002..Taken together, our results indicate that the PHD finger forms an integral part of the enzymatic core of the HAT domain of CBP...
- A transcriptional inhibitor targeted by the atypical orphan nuclear receptor SHPAnn Båvner
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institutet, S 14157 Huddinge, Sweden
EMBO Rep 3:478-84. 2002..We suggest histone acetyltransferases and histones as targets for EID1 action and propose that SHP inhibition of transcription involves EID1 antagonism of CBP/p300-dependent coactivator functions...
- Purification and functional characterization of SET8, a nucleosomal histone H4-lysine 20-specific methyltransferaseJia Fang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Curr Biol 12:1086-99. 2002..Thus far, only 2 residues on histone H4 are known to be methylated...
- Daxx and histone deacetylase II associate with chromatin through an interaction with core histones and the chromatin-associated protein DekAndrew D Hollenbach
Department of Genetics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 North Lauderdale, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Cell Sci 115:3319-30. 2002..and the first paired amphipathic helix of hDaxx for its association with histone deacetylase II and acetylated histone H4, respectively...
- Purification and functional characterization of the human N-CoR complex: the roles of HDAC3, TBL1 and TBLR1Ho Geun Yoon
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
EMBO J 22:1336-46. 2003..Together, our data reveal the roles of HDAC3 and TBL/TBLR1 and provide evidence for the functional importance of histone interaction in repression mediated by SMRT-N-CoR complexes...
- A SANT motif in the SMRT corepressor interprets the histone code and promotes histone deacetylationJiujiu Yu
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6149, USA
EMBO J 22:3403-10. 2003..This implies that the SMRT HID participates in interpreting the histone code in a feed-forward mechanism that promotes and maintains histone deacetylation at genomic sites of SMRT recruitment...
- mSin3A/histone deacetylase 2- and PRMT5-containing Brg1 complex is involved in transcriptional repression of the Myc target gene cadSharmistha Pal
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:7475-87. 2003..These results suggest that hSWI/SNF complexes, through their ability to interact with activator and repressor proteins, control expression of genes involved in cell growth and proliferation...
- Selective recognition of acetylated histones by bromodomain proteins visualized in living cellsTomohiko Kanno
Laboratory of Molecular Growth Regulation, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Cell 13:33-43. 2004..The bromodomain protein Brd2 selectively interacted with acetylated lysine 12 on histone H4, whereas TAF(II)250 and PCAF recognized H3 and other acetylated histones, indicating fine specificity of histone ..
- A signaling role of histone-binding proteins and INHAT subunits pp32 and Set/TAF-Ibeta in integrating chromatin hypoacetylation and transcriptional repressionSara N Kutney
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 279:30850-5. 2004..Together, these data define a novel in vivo mechanistic role for the mammalian Set/TAF-Ibeta and pp32 proteins as transducers of chromatin signaling by integrating chromatin hypoacetylation and transcriptional repression...
- The transcriptional corepressor, PELP1, recruits HDAC2 and masks histones using two separate domainsYoung Bong Choi
Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine and Samsung Biomedical Research Institute, Suwon Si, Kyonggi do 440 746, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 279:50930-41. 2004..Thus PELP1 promotes and maintains the hypoacetylated state of histones at the target genomic site, and ER binding reverses its role to hyperacetylate histones through an as yet unidentified mechanism...
- Human SWI/SNF-associated PRMT5 methylates histone H3 arginine 8 and negatively regulates expression of ST7 and NM23 tumor suppressor genesSharmistha Pal
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:9630-45. 2004..These findings suggest that the BRG1- and hBRM-associated PRMT5 regulates cell growth and proliferation by controlling expression of genes involved in tumor suppression...
- Regulation of p53 activity through lysine methylationSergei Chuikov
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Division of Nucleic Acids Enzymology, Department of Biochemistry, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Nature 432:353-60. 2004..The crystal structure of a ternary complex of Set9 with a p53 peptide and the cofactor product S-adenosyl-l-homocysteine (AdoHcy) provides the molecular basis for recognition of p53 by this lysine methyltransferase...
- PARP-10, a novel Myc-interacting protein with poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity, inhibits transformationMei Yu
Abteilung Biochemie und Molekularbiologie, Institut fur Biochemie, Klinikum der RWTH, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Oncogene 24:1982-93. 2005..Together, our findings define a novel PARP enzyme involved in the control of cell proliferation...
- The histone-binding code of nuclear receptor co-repressors matches the substrate specificity of histone deacetylase 3Helen B Hartman
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, The Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 611 CRB, 415 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
EMBO Rep 6:445-51. 2005..The match between the specificity of acetyl-histone deacetylation by HDAC3 and the histone-binding preference of N-CoR/SMRT allows the co-repressor complex to stabilize and propagate repression of nuclear hormone receptor gene targets...
- CtBP represses p300-mediated transcriptional activation by direct association with its bromodomainJae Hwan Kim
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Cancer Research Institute, Interdisciplinary Program in Genetic Engineering, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 799, Republic of Korea
Nat Struct Mol Biol 12:423-8. 2005..These results suggest a novel mechanism whereby CtBP1 serves as an energy-sensing repressor of histone acetyltransferase(s) and thus affects general transcription...
- Dynamic recruitment of PAK1 to the immunological synapse is mediated by PIX independently of SLP-76 and Vav1Hyewon Phee
Department of Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rosalind Russell Medical Research Center for Arthritis, University of California San Francisco, 94143, USA
Nat Immunol 6:608-17. 2005..These data indicate that a pathway involving the GIT-PIX-PAK1 complex has a crucial function in PAK1 activation by recruiting PAK1 to the immunological synapse...
- Specificity and mechanism of the histone methyltransferase Pr-Set7Bing Xiao
National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London, NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 19:1444-54. 2005..the crystal structure of a ternary complex of the enzyme Pr-Set7 (also known as Set8) that methylates Lys 20 of histone H4 (H4-K20)...
- Cyclin-dependent kinase 11(p58) interacts with HBO1 and enhances its histone acetyltransferase activityHongliang Zong
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering and Gene Research Center, Shanghai Medical College of Fudan University, P O Box 103, No 138 Yi Xue Yuan Road, 200032 Shanghai, People s Republic of China
FEBS Lett 579:3579-88. 2005..Thus, we conclude that CDK11(p58) is a new interacting protein and a novel regulator of HBO1. Both of the proteins may be involved in the regulation of eukaryotic transcription...
- SET8 recognizes the sequence RHRK20VLRDN within the N terminus of histone H4 and mono-methylates lysine 20Yinliang Yin
Department of Biochemistry, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong
J Biol Chem 280:30025-31. 2005Methylation of lysine 20 in histone H4 has been proven to play important roles in chromatin structure and gene regulation. SET8 is one of the methyltransferases identified to be specific for this modification...
- Human histone chaperone nucleophosmin enhances acetylation-dependent chromatin transcriptionV Swaminathan
Transcription and Disease Laboratory, Molecular Biology and Genetics Unit, Jawaharlal Nehru Center for Advanced Scientific Research, Jakkur, Bangalore, India
Mol Cell Biol 25:7534-45. 2005..These results establish nucleophosmin (NPM1) as a human histone chaperone that becomes acetylated, resulting in the enhancement of chromatin transcription...
- A human protein complex homologous to the Drosophila MSL complex is responsible for the majority of histone H4 acetylation at lysine 16Edwin R Smith
Department of Biology, Emory University, 1510 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:9175-88. 2005..This complex shows strong specificity for histone H4 lysine 16 in chromatin in vitro, and RNA interference-mediated knockdown experiments reveal that it is ..
- Ligand-induced transrepression by VDR through association of WSTF with acetylated histonesRyoji Fujiki
The Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
EMBO J 24:3881-94. 2005....
- Dual regulation of c-Myc by p300 via acetylation-dependent control of Myc protein turnover and coactivation of Myc-induced transcriptionFrancesco Faiola
Department of Biochemistry, University of California Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:10220-34. 2005..Our results suggest dual roles for p300/CBP in Myc regulation: as a Myc coactivator that stabilizes Myc and as an inducer of Myc instability via direct Myc acetylation...
- p66alpha and p66beta of the Mi-2/NuRD complex mediate MBD2 and histone interactionMarc Brackertz
Institute for Genetics, Justus Liebig University Giessen and Heinrich Buff Ring, 58 62 D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 34:397-406. 2006..These results suggest a two-interaction forward feedback binding mode, with a stable chromatin association only after deacetylation of the histones has occurred...
- Mammalian Sir2 homolog SIRT7 is an activator of RNA polymerase I transcriptionEthan Ford
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Genes Dev 20:1075-80. 2006..Depletion of SIRT7 stops cell proliferation and triggers apoptosis. Our findings suggest that SIRT7 is a positive regulator of Pol I transcription and is required for cell viability in mammals...
- Downstream signaling mechanism of the C-terminal activation domain of transcriptional coactivator CoCoAJeong Hoon Kim
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 34:2736-50. 2006....
- Inhibition of histone acetyltransferase activity by anacardic acid sensitizes tumor cells to ionizing radiationYingli Sun
Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Genomic Stability and DNA Repair, Harvard Medical School, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
FEBS Lett 580:4353-6. 2006..These results demonstrate a central role for HATs such as Tip60 in regulating the DNA damage response. HAT inhibitors provide a novel therapeutic approach for increasing the sensitivity of tumors to radiation therapy...
- The N-CoR complex enables chromatin remodeler SNF2H to enhance repression by thyroid hormone receptorTheresa Alenghat
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, and The Institute for Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6149, USA
EMBO J 25:3966-74. 2006..SNF2H does not interact directly with the N-CoR/HDAC3 complex, but binds to unacetylated histone H4 tails, suggesting that deacetylase activity of the corepressor complex is critical to SNF2H function...
- The activity and stability of the transcriptional coactivator p/CIP/SRC-3 are regulated by CARM1-dependent methylationHina Naeem
Cancer Research Laboratories, London Regional Cancer Program, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 4L6
Mol Cell Biol 27:120-34. 2007..Collectively, our data highlight coactivator methylation as an important regulatory mechanism in hormonal signaling...
- Crystal structure of the human BRD2 bromodomain: insights into dimerization and recognition of acetylated histone H4Yoshihiro Nakamura
RIKEN Genomic Sciences Center, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Tsurumi, Yokohama 230 0045, Japan
J Biol Chem 282:4193-201. 2007..The BRD2 protein specifically recognizes the histone H4 tail acetylated at Lys12...
- Human SFMBT is a transcriptional repressor protein that selectively binds the N-terminal tail of histone H3Shumin Wu
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
FEBS Lett 581:3289-96. 2007..These findings indicate that the tandem MBT repeats form a functional structure required for biological activity of hSFMBT and predict similar properties for other MBT domain-containing proteins...
- Product specificity and mechanism of protein lysine methyltransferases: insights from the histone lysine methyltransferase SET8Xiaodong Zhang
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Biochemistry 47:6671-7. 2008..mechanics (QM) and MM (QM/MM) have been carried out to investigate the product specificity and mechanism of the histone H4 lysine 20 (H4-K20) methylation by human histone lysine methyltransferase SET8...
- Histone acetyltransferase Hbo1: catalytic activity, cellular abundance, and links to primary cancersMasayoshi Iizuka
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0734, USA
Gene 436:108-14. 2009..Here we show that recombinant Hbo1 can acetylate nucleosomal histone H4 in vitro, with a preference for lysines 5 and 12...
- BBAP monoubiquitylates histone H4 at lysine 91 and selectively modulates the DNA damage responseQingsheng Yan
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell 36:110-20. 2009..Herein, we demonstrate that BBAP selectively monoubiquitylates histone H4 lysine 91 and protects cells exposed to DNA-damaging agents...