Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HBG2
Description: hemoglobin subunit gamma 2
Alias: HBG-T1, TNCY, hemoglobin subunit gamma-2, G-gamma globin Paulinia, abnormal hemoglobin, gamma-2-globin, hb F Ggamma, hemoglobin gamma-2 chain, hemoglobin gamma-G chain, hemoglobin, gamma G, methemoglobin
Publications291 found, 100 shown here
- Frequency of positive XmnIGgamma polymorphism and coinheritance of common alpha thalassemia mutations do not show statistically significant difference between thalassemia major and intermedia cases with homozygous IVSII-1 mutationMaryam Neishabury
Genetics Research Center, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Evin, Tehran, Iran
Blood Cells Mol Dis 44:95-9. 2010..These results imply that other interacting mechanisms which modify the phenotype of thalassemia patients is still in the dark in our current diagnostic criteria of thalassemia...
- G to A substitution in the distal CCAAT box of the A gamma-globin gene in Greek hereditary persistence of fetal haemoglobinR Gelinas
Nature 313:323-5. 1985..The fact that this transition is associated with inappropriate expression of the A gamma gene in adult life suggests that the CCAAT box (or its surrounding sequences) may have a role in the developmental control of gamma-globin genes...
- G gamma-196 C-->T, A gamma-201 C-->T: two novel mutations in the promoter region of the gamma-globin genes associated with nondeletional hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin in GreeceMagdalini Tasiopoulou
National Centre for Thalassemia, WHO Collaborating Centre for the Community Control of Hereditary Diseases, Laiko General Hospital, KCS GRE 21, Greece
Blood Cells Mol Dis 40:320-2. 2008..These mutations seem to reactivate gamma-genes and cause their high expression in the adult period...
- Role of the GATA-1/FOG-1/NuRD pathway in the expression of human beta-like globin genesAnnarita Miccio
Division of Hematology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:3460-70. 2010..its cofactor FOG-1, and the associated chromatin remodeling complex NuRD in the developmental silencing of HBG1 and HBG2 gene expression...
- A T-to-G transversion at nucleotide -567 upstream of HBG2 in a GATA-1 binding motif is associated with elevated hemoglobin FZhiyi Chen
Center of Excellence in Sickle Cell Disease, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:4386-93. 2008..family who had elevated Hb F levels and found a novel T-to-G transversion at nucleotide (nt) -567 of the HBG2 promoter...
- Changes in the G gamma- and A gamma-globin mRNA components of fetal hemoglobin during human developmentH Bard
Service of Neonatalogy, Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biol Neonate 80:26-9. 2001..1 +/- 16.9). The high levels of (G)gamma-globin mRNA to total gamma-globin mRNAs are associated with the presence of a -158 (C-->T) polymorphism. The gene frequency of polymorphism was 0.32...
- The effect of simvastatin on erythrocyte membrane fluidity during oxidative stress induced by cardiopulmonary bypass: a randomized controlled studyRaffaella Coccia
Department of Biochemical Sciences, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Clin Ther 29:1706-17. 2007..Abnormal erythrocyte deformability can cause severe complications during cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) surgery, including both hemolysis and perfusion abnormalities...
- Genotypic correlation between six common beta-thalassemia mutations and the XmnI polymorphism in the Moroccan populationImane Agouti
Laboratoire de Biologie Appliquee, Faculte des Sciences et Techniques, Tanger, Maroc
Hemoglobin 31:141-9. 2007..In the Moroccan population, a good response to HU treatment should be suspected in cases with the -158 (C-->T) polymorphism in linkage with haplotype IV and internal beta-globin gene framework 3...
- Mechanism of the contractile effect of diaspirin-cross-linked hemoglobin in rat isolated aorta strip denuded of endothelium as revealed using an oil-immersion procedureF Rioux
Centre de Recherche, , , Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 74:1171-9. 1996..to drugs in the Krebs medium followed by replacement of the Krebs medium by mineral oil) was mimicked by methemoglobin and metmyoglobin, but not by cytochrome c, albumin, hemin, hematin, Fe2+, and a variety of hemorphins...
- Two cases of methemoglobinemia following zopiclone ingestionHin Tat Fung
Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 46:167-70. 2008..Intoxication with zopiclone is expected to produce drowsiness, confusion and coma but not methemoglobinemia. We report two cases of zopiclone overdose with methemoglobinemia...
- Hemoglobin constant spring defined by specific oligonucleotide hybridization and hemoglobin D Punjab (beta 121----Gln) in a Batak Indonesian familyE N Kosasih
Department of Clinical Pathology, Medical School University of North Sumatra, Medan, Indonesia
Am J Hematol 29:22-6. 1988..A sister did not have any abnormal hemoglobin. To show the exact molecular defect leading to the synthesis of Hb CoSp in this family, genomic DNA from ..
- Early graft function and carboxyhemoglobin level in liver transplanted patientsYasser Ali
Anesthesia Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre Anesthesia Department MBC22, Riyadh 11211, KSA
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 19:513-25. 2007..We hypothesized that there may be a correlation between carboxyhemoglobin level and early graft function in patients undergoing liver transplant surgeries...
- The availability of toxicological analyses for poisoned patients in IrelandNicola Cassidy
National Poisons Information Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 48:373-9. 2010..Some professional associations in different countries quote these guidelines but there are no data to support adherence to these recommendations in the medical literature...
- Residual motion of hemoglobin-bound spin labels as a probe for protein dynamicsH Steinhoff
, , Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Z Naturforsch C 44:280-8. 1989The residual motion of spin labels bound to cysteine beta 93 of methemoglobin and oxyhemoglobin has been analyzed as a function of temperature and hydration...
- Promoter region sequence differences in the A and G gamma globin genes of Brazilian sickle cell anemia patientsC G Barbosa
Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz CPqGM FIOCRUZ, Salvador, BA, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 43:705-11. 2010Fetal hemoglobin (HbF), encoded by the HBG2 and HBG1 genes, is the best-known genetic modulator of sickle cell anemia, varying dramatically in concentration in the blood of these patients...
- Inhalation toxicity of 4-ethoxyaniline (p-phenetidine): critical analysis of results of subacute inhalation exposure studies in ratsJ Pauluhn
Institute of Toxicology, Bayer AG, Building No 514, 42096 Wuppertal, Germany
Inhal Toxicol 13:993-1013. 2001..Animals exposed to 86.2 mg/m(3) and above exhibited a concentration-dependent, significant increase in blood methemoglobin and reticulocyte counts as well as a significant decrease in hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell counts...
- Crystallization and preliminary X-ray structural studies of hemoglobin A2 and hemoglobin E, isolated from the blood samples of beta-thalassemic patientsJhimli Dasgupta
Crystallography and Molecular Biology Division, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, 1 AF Bidhan Nagar, Kolkata 700064, India
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 303:619-23. 2003..Hemoglobin E, is another common abnormal hemoglobin, caused by splice site mutation in exon 1 of beta globin gene, when combines with beta-thalassemia, causes ..
- In vitro and in vivo attenuation of experimental cyanide poisoning by alpha-ketoglutarateR Bhattacharya
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Defence Research and Development Establishment, Jhansi Road, Gwalior 474 002, M P, India
Toxicol Lett 128:185-95. 2002Treatment of cyanide poisoning generally includes methemoglobin forming agents, like amyl nitrite and/or sodium nitrite (SN), in combination with sodium thiosulphate (STS)...
- Subacute inhalation toxicity of aniline in rats: analysis of time-dependence and concentration-dependence of hematotoxic and splenic effectsJürgen Pauluhn
Institute of Toxicology, Bayer HealthCare AG, D 42096 Wuppertal, Germany
Toxicol Sci 81:198-215. 2004..The predominant manifestation of toxicity was methemoglobin formation and associated erythrocytotoxicity...
- Topical anesthetic-induced methemoglobinemia and sulfhemoglobinemia in macaques: a comparison of benzocaine and lidocaineD G Martin
Veterinary Medicine and Laboratory Resources Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21010 5425, USA
J Appl Toxicol 15:153-8. 1995..Benzocaine has structural similarities to methemoglobin (MHb)-forming drugs that are current candidates for cyanide prophylaxis, while LC has been reported to ..
- Peroxynitrite induces long-lived tyrosyl radical(s) in oxyhemoglobin of red blood cells through a reaction involving CO2 and a ferryl speciesM Minetti
Membrane Unit, Department of Cell Biology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma, Italy
Biochemistry 38:2078-87. 1999..off at a 1:1 ratio between peroxynitrite and oxyhemoglobin, while CO-hemoglobin formed less radical and methemoglobin did not form the radical at all...
- Atypical beta(s) haplotypes are generated by diverse genetic mechanismsM A Zago
Department of Clinical Medicine and Hemocentro, School of Medicine, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Am J Hematol 63:79-84. 2000....
- Effectiveness of intramuscularly administered cyanide antidotes on methemoglobin formation and survivalJ A Vick
Division of Research and Testing, Food and Drug Administration, Washington, DC 20204, USA
J Appl Toxicol 16:509-16. 1996..Exceptionally rapid methemoglobin formers-hydroxylamine hydrochloride (HH) and dimethylaminophenol (DMAP)-are usually able to prevent the lethal ..
- Subchronic toxicity of chlorpropham (CIPC) in ICR miceT Fujitani
Department of Toxicology, Tokyo Metropolitan Research Laboratory of Public Health, Japan
Food Chem Toxicol 38:617-25. 2000..Male and female ICR mice were given 0, 1875, 7500 or 30,000 ppm of chlorpropham (CIPC) in the diet for 13 weeks. Methemoglobin levels of male and female mice in the 7500 and 30,000 ppm groups were significantly elevated...
- HbS-oman heterozygote: a new dominant sickle syndromeR L Nagel
Division of Hematology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Blood 92:4375-82. 1998..of S-Oman is identical to that of S-Antilles, another supersickling hemoglobin, whose carriers express the abnormal hemoglobin at 40% to 50%, with a very similar clinical picture to HbS-Oman...
- Oxidative process in erythrocytes of individuals with hemoglobin SMichele Ana Flores Chaves
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas da Universidade Federal do Paraná, Avenida Lothário Meissner, 3400, Jardim Botanico, CEP 80210 170, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Hematology 13:187-92. 2008..induced by TBHP was observed in erythrocytes AA<AS<SS, by the increase in the content of Heinz bodies, methemoglobin, hemolysis, GSH depletion and lowering activities of the enzymes G6-PD and GR...
- Cerebellar nitric oxide is increased during isoflurane anesthesia compared to halothane anesthesia: a microdialysis study in ratsA L Loeb
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Anesthesiology 89:723-30. 1998..This method uses the stoichiometric reaction of nitric oxide with oxyhemoglobin to produce methemoglobin and nitrate; the change in methemoglobin concentration is measured spectrophotometrically to estimate nitric ..
- Identical mutations in the paralogous human γ-globin genes leading to hemoglobin variants and nondeletional hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobinAdamantia Papachatzopoulou
University of Patras, Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of General Biology, Patras, Greece
Hemoglobin 35:135-41. 2011..of hemoglobin (Hb) variants of the (G)γ- and (A)γ-globin chains result from an identical mutation in the HBG2 and HBG1 genes, respectively, while the same is true for a fraction of mutations leading to nondeletional ..
- [Effect of methylguanidine and guanidine succinic acid on methemoglobin reductase activity in human red cells]Z Kopczynski
Zakładu Analityki Medycznej Katedry Onkologii Akademii Medycznej im Karola Marcinkowskiego, Poznaniu
Pol Tyg Lek 46:140-2. 1991Activity of methemoglobin reductase was studied in human red cells treated with methylguanidine and guanidinosuccinic acid in concentrations similar to those in plasma of patients with chronic renal failure...
- Incidence of methemoglobinemia in patients receiving cerium nitrate and silver sulfadiazine for the treatment of burn wounds: a burn center's experienceMelissa A Kath
The Burn Center, Department of Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, District of Columbia 20010, USA
Wound Repair Regen 19:201-4. 2011..Eighteen patients (∼10%) developed Met-Hba as noted on arterial blood gas (methemoglobin>3%) and only three patients (∼2%) had methemoglobin levels >10%...
- Topical benzocaine (Hurricaine) induced methemoglobinemia during endoscopic procedures in gastric bypass patientsMyur S Srikanth
Tacoma Surgical Weight Loss Clinic, Tacoma, WA 98418, USA
Obes Surg 15:584-90. 2005..Patients develop profound cyanosis unresponsive to O2 when methemoglobin (MHb) levels exceed 10%. It can be lethal if levels exceed 70%...
- Methemoglobinemia in critically ill patients during extended hemodialysis and simultaneous disinfection of the hospital water supplyMartin Johannes Bek
Dialysis Centre Bad Krozingen, Heart Centre Bad Krozingen, Suedring 15, 79189 Bad Krozingen, Germany
Crit Care 13:R162. 2009..To evaluate the cause of methemoglobinemia in patients undergoing extended daily hemodialysis/hemodiafiltration we analyzed the relationship between methemoglobinemia and the water disinfection schedule of the hospital...
- Methemoglobin formation in human erythrocytes by nitroaromatic explosivesA Maroziene
Institute of Biochemistry, Mokslininku, Vilnius, Lithuania
Z Naturforsch C 56:1157-63. 2001We have examined the structure-activity relationships in methemoglobin (MetHb) formation by high explosives 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene (TNT), 2,4,6-trinitrophenyl-N-nitramine (tetryl) and 2,4,6-trinitrophenyl-N-nitraminoethylnitrate (pentryl),..
- [Methemoglobinemia due to prilocaine after plexus anesthesia. Reduction by prophylactic administration of ascorbic acid?]A Kortgen
Klinik für Anaesthesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitatskliniken des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar
Anaesthesist 52:1020-6. 2003..and in vitro kinetics of o-toluidine-induced methemoglobinemia and the influence of ascorbic acid on resulting methemoglobin concentrations...
- Is resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock limited by blood oxygen-carrying capacity or blood viscosity?Pedro Cabrales
La Jolla Bioengineering Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Shock 27:380-9. 2007..oxygen-carrying fresh red blood cells (RBCs) or non-oxygen-carrying RBCs whose hemoglobin was converted to methemoglobin (MetHb)...
- Utility of pulse oximetry in the detection of arterial hypoxemia in liver transplant candidatesGary A Abrams
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham Liver Center, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Liver Transpl 8:391-6. 2002..PaO(2), carboxyhemoglobin, methemoglobin, and routine clinical and biochemical parameters were investigated to account for the bias...
- Oxidative stress in blood of camels (Camelus dromedaries) naturally infected with Trypanosoma evansiMostafa A Saleh
Animal Health Research Institute, El Kharga, El Wadi El Gadid 725211, Egypt
Vet Parasitol 162:192-9. 2009..malondialdehyde production in serum (sMDA) and erythrocyte (eMDA) as a biomarker of lipid peroxidation, blood methemoglobin formation (MetHb, a biomarker of hemoglobin oxidation), the antioxidants serum ascorbate and albumin levels, ..
- The oxygen status of the arterial blood in the critically illG Tulli
Unità Operativa di Anestesia e Rianimazione, Presidio Ospedaliero San Giacomo e Cristoforo di Massa, Unita Sanitaria Locale, Regione Toscana, Italy
Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl 203:107-18. 1990..we measured pH, pCO2, pO2, oxygen saturation, total hemoglobin concentration and fractions of carboxy- and methemoglobin. The new algorithm was used to calculate: active hemoglobin concentration, total oxygen concentration, actual ..
- Two mechanisms for toxic effects of hydroxylamines in human erythrocytes: involvement of free radicals and risk of potentiationC T Evelo
Department of Pharmacology, Universiteit Maastricht, The Netherlands
Blood Cells Mol Dis 24:280-95. 1998..Both compounds induced a high degree of methemoglobin formation and glutathione depletion. Cytotoxicity was visible as Heinz body formation and hemolysis...
- Congenital methemoglobinemia caused by Hb-MRatnagiri (beta-63CAT-->TAT, His-->Tyr) in an Indian familyPrabhakar S Kedar
Institute of Immunohaematology, Indian Council of Medical Research, K E M Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400012, India
Am J Hematol 79:168-70. 2005..There was no history of cardiac illness or exposure to drugs and chemicals. The methemoglobin level was 39.3% in the propositus and 21.1% in her mother with normal NADH-methemoglobin reductase activity...
- Glucose metabolism is accelerated by exposure to t-butylhydroperoxide during NADH consumption in human erythrocytesYuki Ogasawara
Department of Environmental Biology, Meiji Pharmaceutical University, 2 522 1 Noshio, Kiyose, Nishitokyo, Tokyo 204 8588, Japan
Blood Cells Mol Dis 41:237-43. 2008..in the pentose phosphate pathway (PPP) was not observed, exposing RBCs to BHP caused the formation of methemoglobin (metHb) and a significant decrease in NADH...
- Certain mutations observed in the 5' sequences of the G gamma- and A gamma-globin genes of beta S chromosomes are specific for chromosomes with major haplotypesA J Dimovski
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
Acta Haematol 85:79-87. 1991..The close relationship between the occurrence of specific mutations and the haplotype of beta S chromosomes makes the determination of these haplotypes with specific oligonucleotide probes attractive with respect to time and expense...
- Methodologic problems encountered with cooximetry in methemoglobinemiaS Rausch-Madison
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, UCLA School of Medicine, USA
Am J Med Sci 314:203-6. 1997The objectives of this study were to examine the reported accuracy of cooximetry in determination of methemoglobin levels, to report the apparent discrepant values of "measured" methemoglobin and carboxyhemoglobin, and to discuss the ..
- Pharmacokinetics of sodium nitrite-induced methemoglobinemia in the ratMichael C Kohn
Laboratory of Computational Biology and Risk Analysis, National Institute of Environmental Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 30:676-83. 2002..from the plasma, partitioning between plasma and erythrocytes, binding of nitrite to hemoglobin and methemoglobin, and the free radical chain reaction for hemoglobin oxidation...
- Prophylactic methylene blue in a patient with congenital methemoglobinemiaAnis S Baraka
Department of Anesthesiology, American University of Beirut, P O Box 11 0236, Beirut 1107 2020, Lebanon
Can J Anaesth 52:258-61. 2005..To report the beneficial effect of prophylactic methylene blue administration before induction of anesthesia in a patient with congenital methemoglobinemia...
- Effect of copper-hydroquinone complex on oxidative stress-related parameters in human erythrocytes (in vitro)Chandan Sarkar
Department of Biochemistry, North Bengal Medical College, Sushrutanagar, WB, India
Toxicol Mech Methods 19:86-93. 2009..either alone or in the presence of copper produced a decrease of reduced glutathione level without altering methemoglobin concentration and erythrocyte lipid peroxidation...
- Multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification screening of isolated increased HbF levels revealed three cases of novel rearrangements/deletions in the beta-globin gene clusterSeung Tae Lee
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Genetics, Samsung Medical Centre, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Br J Haematol 148:154-60. 2010..of HBB (beta-globin gene), an HPFH due to deletions of HBD (delta-globin gene) and HBB, and an HPFH due to a novel HBG2-HBG1 fusion gene consisting of exons 1 and 2 of HBG2 ((G)gamma-globin gene) and exon 3 of HBG1 ((A)gamma-globin ..
- Kinetic evaluation of the oxidation of phenothiazine derivatives by methemoglobin and horseradish peroxidase in the presence of hydrogen peroxide. Implications for the reaction mechanismsP P Kelder
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1205:230-8. 1994The oxidation of ten 2-substituted 10-(3-(dimethylamino)propyl) phenothiazines (PHs) by methemoglobin (metHb) and horseradish peroxidase (HRP) in the presence of H2O2 was kinetically analysed based on an enzymic-chemical second-order ..
- A chronic inhalation toxicity/oncogenicity study of methylethylketoxime in rats and miceP E Newton
Pharmaco LSR, Inc, East Millstone, New Jersey, USA
Inhal Toxicol 13:1093-116. 2001..Treatment-related effects included increased body weight (male rats only), methemoglobin formation, hematology and clinical chemistry changes, increased liver weight, and increased spleen and testes ..
- Hearing loss and auditory function in sickle cell diseaseG Pamela Burch-Sims
Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, College of Health Sciences, Tennessee State University, 330 Tenth Avenue North, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Commun Disord 38:321-9. 2005..During periods of decreased oxygen tension in the red blood cell's environment, the abnormal hemoglobin within the red blood cell polymerizes and causes it to assume its sickled shaped...
- Blood viscosity maintains microvascular conditions during normovolemic anemia independent of blood oxygen-carrying capacityPedro Cabrales
La Jolla Bioengineering Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H581-90. 2006Responses to exchange transfusion with red blood cells (RBCs) containing methemoglobin (MetRBC) were studied in an acute isovolemic hemodiluted hamster window chamber model to determine whether oxygen content participates in the ..
- Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia based on the Mayo Clinic experience from 28 478 transesophageal echocardiograms: incidence, outcomes, and predisposing factorsGarvan C Kane
Echocardiography Laboratory, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1977-82. 2007..Yet, the incidence of benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia with TEE and the clinical factors associated with its development are unclear...
- Incidence and complete molecular characterization of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region of southern China: description of four novel mutationsTizhen Yan
Department of Medical Genetics, Southern Medical University, Tonghe 510515, Guangzhou, Guangdong, PR China
Haematologica 91:1321-8. 2006..We investigated the incidence and distribution of mutations, the molecular pathology of affected females and the haplotype association with G6PD deficiency in patients from the Guangxi region...
- Simultaneous measurements of blood pH, pCO2, pO2 and concentrations of hemoglobin and its derivates--a multicenter studyG Kokholm
Radiometer A S, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl 203:75-86. 1990..measurements of pH, pCO2, pO2, total hemoglobin concentration, oxygen saturation, carboxyhemoglobin, and methemoglobin has been emphasized...
- Concise review: methemoglobinemiaA Mansouri
Department of Medicine, Overton Brooks VAMC, Shreveport, Louisiana 71101 4295
Am J Hematol 42:7-12. 1993..of hemoglobin is exposed continuously to high concentrations of oxygen and, thereby, is oxidized slowly to methemoglobin, a protein unable to carry oxygen...
- Role of hemopexin in protection of low-density lipoprotein against hemoglobin-induced oxidationY I Miller
Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Biochemistry 35:13112-7. 1996..Analysis of the data revealed that the rate of heme transfer from methemoglobin to hemopexin was highly dependent upon temperature: only minimal heme transfer occurred at 20 degrees C, ..
- Benzocaine-associated methemoglobinemia following bronchoscopy in a healthy research participantW G Kuschner
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, and the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, California, USA
Respir Care 45:953-6. 2000..The research participant developed a methemoglobin level of 27% and marked cyanosis. No adverse sequelae other than cyanosis were identified...
- The effects of nitric oxide on coagulation during simulated extracorporeal membrane oxygenationE D Rauch
Division of Clinical Perfusion Education, School of Allied Health Professions, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
J Extra Corpor Technol 32:214-9. 2000..Platelet counts, methemoglobin levels, plasma-free hemoglobin levels, activated clotting times, and thromboelastographic (TEG) studies were ..
- Dapsone induced methemoglobinemia : Intermittent vs continuous intravenous methylene blue therapyRajniti Prasad
Department of Pediatrics, Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
Indian J Pediatr 75:245-7. 2008The study compares the decline in blood methemoglobin (MetHb) level in children of dapsone intoxication treated with intermittent and continuous methylene blue therapy.
- Methemoglobinemia due to application of prilocaine during circumcision and the effect of ascorbic acidPerran Boran
Dr Lutfi Kirdar Kartal Research and Training Hospital, 2nd Clinic of Pediatrics, Istanbul, Turkey
J Pediatr Urol 4:475-6. 2008..b>Methemoglobin level revealed severe methemoglobinemia (methemoglobin=44.5%)...
- Methemoglobinemia presenting in a circumcised baby following application of prilocaine: a case reportHatice Ozdogan
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Training and Research Hospital, Ulus Dişkapi, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Case Rep 4:49. 2010..Local anesthesia with prilocaine has become a routine part of ambulatory circumcision procedures. Methemoglobinemia is a rare but potentially lethal complication of local anesthetics...
- [A case of clinical Reye syndrome with symmetrical abnormal signal areas in the pons and thalami by MRI]T Takano
Department of Pediatrics, Shiga University of Medical Science, Ohtsu
No To Hattatsu 26:63-7. 1994..These lesions were suspected of being caused by vascular involvement, since the methemoglobin induced by bleeding may have contributed to the high-intensity regions...
- Hb F-M-Osaka or alpha 2G gamma 2(63)(E7)His----Tyr in a Caucasian male infantB E Glader
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University Medical Center, CA 94305
Hemoglobin 13:769-73. 1989
- Cloning specific complete polyadenylylated 3'-terminal cDNA segmentsK M Lang
Gene 33:191-6. 1985..In addition, nucleotide sequence analysis of the cloned gamma-globin cDNA segment defined a previously unreported sequence polymorphism in the 3' untranslated region...
- Identification of a retrovirus-like repetitive element in human DNAD L Mager
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81:7510-4. 1984..Copy number estimates by two methods indicate that the element is repeated 800-1000 times in the human genome. We term this Homo sapiens family of retrovirus-like elements having a histidine tRNA primer binding site the hsRTVL-H family...
- Alternative sites of transcription initiation upstream of the canonical cap site in human gamma-globin and beta-globin genesG J Grindlay
Nucleic Acids Res 12:1811-20. 1984..Alternative initiation sites located 200 bp and 50-100 bp upstream of the epsilon-globin and kappa-globin cap sites respectively are located within S1 hypersensitive regions of chromatin...
- His64(E7)-->Tyr apomyoglobin as a reagent for measuring rates of hemin dissociationM S Hargrove
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77251 1892
J Biol Chem 269:4207-14. 1994..When excess Tyr64-Val68 apoglobin is mixed with either metmyoglobin or methemoglobin, the solution turns from brown to green, and the absorbance changes can be used to measure complete time ..
- [A case of abnormal hemoglobin (HbJ Cape Town) with high serum levels of HbAlc]T Horiuchi
Department of Endocrinology, Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital, Japan
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 33:110-5. 1996..Diabetes was excluded and abnormal hemoglobinopathy had been suspected. We analyzed his abnormal hemoglobin. In isoelectro-phoresis a fast moving variant was detected suggesting the presence of abnormal hemoglobin ..
- Hb F-Veleta or alpha 2 G gamma(2)40(C6)Arg-->GlyJ M de Pablos Gallego
Hospital General de Especialidades Virgen de las Nieves, Granada, Spain
Hemoglobin 19:407-11. 1995
- Determination of methemoglobin and total hemoglobin in toxicological studies by derivative spectrophotometryA Cruz-Landeira
Forensic Toxicology Service, Legal Medicine Institute, University of Santiago of Compostela, Spain
J Anal Toxicol 26:67-72. 2002A method for the determination of methemoglobin in the presence of other hemoglobin subforms (i.e., oxy-, deoxy-, and carboxyhemoglobin) by use of derivative spectrophotometry is proposed...
- Significant pulmonary response to a brief high-level, nose-only nitrogen dioxide exposure: an interspecies dosimetry perspectiveNabil M Elsayed
Department of Respiratory Research, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 184:1-10. 2002..5-fold. Lung weight increased 40% (p < 0.05) after exposure. In the blood, potassium and methemoglobin increased 45 and 18% (p < 0...
- Inhaled nitric oxide protects transgenic SAD mice from sickle cell disease-specific lung injury induced by hypoxia/reoxygenationLucia De Franceschi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Section of Internal Medicine, Policlinico GB Rossi, Piazzale L Scuro, 10, 37134 Verona, Italy
Blood 102:1087-96. 2003..leukocyte, and neutrophil counts; (2) modulated BAL cytokine network; and (3) did not affect hemoglobin and methemoglobin levels...
- The level of maternal methemoglobin during pregnancy in an air-polluted environmentLucijan Mohorovic
Obstetric and Gynecologic Primary Care, Labin, Croatia
Environ Health Perspect 111:1902-5. 2003..determine if a correlation could be established between the ground-level concentrations of sulfur dioxide and methemoglobin concentrations in pregnant women when a coal-powered thermoelectric power plant was in operation ("dirty" ..
- Aniline derivative-induced methemoglobin in ratsHarpal Singh
Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, College of Sciences and Technology, Savannah State University, Savannah, Georgia 31404, USA
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 24:57-65. 2005..The results showed dose- and time-dependent changes in the induction of methemoglobin (MetHb) by aniline derivatives...
- Regulation of oxygen delivery during induced polycythemia in exercising dogsJoann Lindenfeld
Div of Cardiology, Campus Box B130, Univ of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Ave, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289:H1821-5. 2005..The dogs underwent exchange transfusion with packed red blood cells containing methemoglobin, which caused an increase in hematocrit from 35 +/- 1 to 50 +/- 1% and in viscosity, with little change in ..
- Biochemical modifications induced in human blood by oxygenation-ozonationVelio Bocci
Department of Physiology, University of Siena, 53100 Siena, Italy
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 20:133-8. 2006..3) Similarly, intraerythrocytic reduced glutathione after ozonation decreased from the initial value of 5.71 to 4.56 micromol/g Hb. (4) Both hemolysis and methemoglobin showed a negligible increase.
- Methemoglobinemia associated with dapsone therapy in a child with pneumonia and chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpuraDeborah E Schiff
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital San Diego, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 28:395-8. 2006..and tachypnea, and the temporal association of his perioral cyanosis with the initiation of dapsone therapy, a methemoglobin (MetHb) level was obtained and found to be elevated at 9.6%...
- Pro-oxidative effects of tea and polyphenols, epigallocatechin-3-gallate and epigallocatechin, on G6PD-deficient erythrocytes in vitroChun Hay Ko
Institute of Chinese Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Int J Mol Med 18:987-94. 2006..The resulting levels of reduced glutathione (GSH) and glutathione disulphide (GSSG), methemoglobin and plasma hemoglobin were quantified by HPLC and biochemical assays...
- Effective immobilization of subunit protein in mesoporous silica modified with ethanolTetsuji Itoh
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Nigatake 4 2 1, Miyagino ku, Sendai 983 8551, Japan
Biotechnol Bioeng 97:200-5. 2007..The esterified material could be used successfully as an adsorbent to accommodate subunit protein, methemoglobin (Fe(3+))...
- Hemoglobin binding to A beta and HBG2 SNP association suggest a role in Alzheimer's diseaseRodney T Perry
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
Neurobiol Aging 29:185-93. 2008..010) and >65 years (p=0.013), and families not homozygous for the APOE4 allele (p=0.041). We hypothesize that Hb F may be less toxic than adult Hb in its interaction with A beta and may protect against the development of AD...
- Sickle cell disease: current activities, public health implications, and future directionsMelissa Creary
Division of Blood Disorders, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:575-82. 2007Sickle cell disease (SCD) is a genetic blood disorder caused by abnormal hemoglobin that damages and deforms red blood cells (RBCs)...
- Reactivity of methemoglobin immobilized on TiO2 nanoparticle filmsElizabeth V Milsom
Department of Chemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
Bioelectrochemistry 72:1-2. 2008Facile demetallation occurs upon contact of the methemoglobin with a mesoporous TiO2 host in phosphate buffer media at pH 5.5 but not in acetate buffer media...
- Toxicology laboratory analysis and human exposure to p-chloroanilineAnthony F Pizon
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 47:132-6. 2009p-Chloroaniline is more potent at producing methemoglobin than aniline in animal models. This case highlights the clinical presentation of an inhalation exposure to p-chloroaniline and associated laboratory analysis...
- The role of leucocytes in the acetyl salicylic acid (aspirin) induced nitric oxide synthesis in the production of interferon-alpha, a potent inhibitor of platelet aggregation and a thrombolytic agentMau Bhattacharyya
Sinha Institute of Medical Science and Technology, Calcutta, India
J Thromb Thrombolysis 28:173-84. 2009..incubated with 80 microM aspirin resulted in parallel syntheses of NO and IFN-alpha as determined by methemoglobin assay and enzyme linked immunosorbent assay respectively...
- Iron-deficiency anaemia enhances red blood cell oxidative stressEnika Nagababu
Molecular Dynamics Section, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Free Radic Res 42:824-9. 2008..1-fold after 9 weeks). The increase in oxidative stress was further confirmed by elevated levels of methemoglobin for mice fed an iron-deficient diet...
- Flavonoids as reductants of ferryl hemoglobinLidia Gebicka
Institute of Applied Radiation Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Technical University of Łódź, Wroblewskiego 15, Łódź, Poland
Acta Biochim Pol 56:509-13. 2009The ferryl derivatives of hemoglobin are products of the reactions of oxy- and methemoglobin with hydrogen peroxide. Ferryl hemoglobins, either with or without a radical site on the protein moiety, are oxidizing species...
- A distinct expression of various gene subsets in CD34+ cells from patients with early and advanced myelodysplastic syndromeAlzbeta Vasikova
Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Prague, Czech Republic
Leuk Res 34:1566-72. 2010..The most up-regulated genes in patients included HBG2, HBG1, CYBRD1, HSPA1B, ANGPT, and MYC, while 13 genes related to B-lymphopoiesis showed down-regulation...
- Nitrate and sulfate: Effective alternative hydrogen sinks for mitigation of ruminal methane production in sheepS M van Zijderveld
Provimi Holding BV, Research Centre De Viersprong, Veilingweg 23, NL 5334LD, Velddriel, The Netherlands
J Dairy Sci 93:5856-66. 2010..Methane-suppressing effects of nitrate and sulfate were independent and additive. The highest methemoglobin value observed in the blood of the nitrate-fed animals was 7% of hemoglobin...
- Hydrogen sulfide inhibits proliferation and release of IL-8 from human airway smooth muscle cellsMark M Perry
Experimental Studies, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 45:746-52. 2011..Exposure of ASM to H(2)S "donors" inhibited this proliferation and IL-8 release. Methemoglobin, a scavenger of endogenous H(2)S, increased DNA synthesis induced by FCS and IL-1β...
- Synthesis, biophysical properties, and oxygenation potential of variable molecular weight glutaraldehyde-polymerized bovine hemoglobins with low and high oxygen affinityYipin Zhou
William G Lowrie Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biotechnol Prog 27:1172-84. 2011..The methemoglobin level and NO dioxygenation rate constants were insensitive to the G:Hb molar ratio...
- Detection of intracoronary thrombus by magnetic resonance imaging in patients with acute myocardial infarctionC H P Jansen
Division of Imaging Sciences, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, King s College London, London, UK
Circulation 124:416-24. 2011..for direct imaging of carotid thrombus and intraplaque hemorrhage by taking advantage of the short T1 of methemoglobin present in acute thrombus and intraplaque hemorrhage...
- The effects of 595- and 1,064-nm lasers on rooster comb blood vessels using dual-wavelength and multipulse techniquesGuang Li
Institute of Dermatology, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Nanjing, China
Dermatol Surg 37:1473-9. 2011After laser irradiation, hemoglobin can transform into methemoglobin and coagulum, which have high absorptivity of near-infrared light...
- Hydrogen sulfide mediates the anti-survival effect of sulforaphane on human prostate cancer cellsYanXi Pei
Department of Biology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 257:420-8. 2011..the viability of PC-3 cells (a human prostate cancer cell line) in a dose-dependent manner, and supplement of methemoglobin or oxidized glutathione (two H(2)S scavengers) reversed SFN-reduced cell viability...
- Antidotes for acute cyanide poisoningStephen W Borron
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at EI Paso, Paul L Foster School of Medicine, USA
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 13:1940-8. 2012..Antidotal mechanisms include chelation, formation of stable, less toxic complexes, methemoglobin induction, and sulfane sulfur supplementation for detoxification by endogenous rhodanese...
- Effect of hypoxia on the state of tissues in SAMR1 and SAMP1 mice with various rates of agingM G Makletsova
Research Center of Neurology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Bull Exp Biol Med 152:360-3. 2012..EPR spectroscopy showed that high sensitivity of SAMP1 mice is related to the increased concentration of methemoglobin in the blood leading to hemic hypoxia...
- Prevalence of Xmnl Gγ polymorphism in Egyptian patients with β-thalassemia majorAzza A G Tantawy
Pediatric Hematology Unit, Ain Shams University, Children s Hospital, Cairo, Egypt
Ann Saudi Med 32:487-91. 2012....
- Methemoglobinemia and ascorbate deficiency in hemoglobin E β thalassemia: metabolic and clinical implicationsAngela Allen
MRC Molecular Haematology Unit, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Blood 120:2939-44. 2012..diversity of hemoglobin (Hb) E β thalassemia, a patient was encountered with persistently high levels of methemoglobin associated with a left-shift in the oxygen dissociation curve, profound ascorbate deficiency, and clinical ..
- Beyond the definitions of the phenotypic complications of sickle cell disease: an update on managementSamir K Ballas
Cardeza Foundation and Department of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, 1015 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 2012:949535. 2012The sickle hemoglobin is an abnormal hemoglobin due to point mutation (GAG → GTG) in exon 1 of the β globin gene resulting in the substitution of glutamic acid by valine at position 6 of the β globin polypeptide chain...
- Biocatalytic oxidation of phenolic compounds by bovine methemoglobin in the presence of H2O2: quantitative structure-activity relationshipsM Teresa Pérez-Prior
Department of Physical Chemistry, University of Castilla La Mancha, Campus Universitario, E 02071 Albacete, Spain
J Hazard Mater 241:207-15. 2012....
- Influence of BCL11A, HBS1L-MYB, HBBP1 single nucleotide polymorphisms and the HBG2 XmnI polymorphism On Hb F levelsPapai Roy
Department of Biophysics, Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
Hemoglobin 36:592-9. 2012..gene), the A>C allele on the rs2071348 (HBBP1 gene) and the XmnI polymorphism (rs7482144, -158 position of HBG2) on chromosome 11. We found a significant association (p = 0.002 and 0...
- In vivo reduction of cell-free methemoglobin to oxyhemoglobin results in vasoconstriction in caninesDong Wang
Critical Care Medicine Department, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland Molecular Medicine Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine and the Vascular Medicine Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Department of Physics and the Translational Science Center, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine Department, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Cheng Du, China Critical Care Medicine Department, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Getafe, Madrid, Spain
Transfusion 53:3149-63. 2013..have been based on nitric oxide (NO) scavenging by oxyhemoglobin (oxyHb) or processes mediated by oxidative reactions of methemoglobin (metHb). To clarify this, we tested the vascular effect and fate of oxyHb or metHb infusions.
- Effect of Inducible Antioxidants on Hemoglobin ToxicityRaymond F Regan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hb toxicity is mediated by transfer of its heme moieties to nearby cells, which is favored by its oxidation to methemoglobin. Hemin, the oxidized form of heme, is then catabolized by the heme oxygenase enzymes to iron, carbon monoxide, ..
- Role of nitrite and hemoglobin in vascular NO homeostasis in the fetus and adultArlin B Blood; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will investigate the physiological importance of a recently discovered reaction between nitrite, NO, and methemoglobin, which may explain how the erythrocyte is capable of releasing vasoactive amounts of NO...
- IRON AND OXYGEN CHEMISTRIES IN SIPUNCULAN BLOODDONALD KURTZ; Fiscal Year: 1992..This system closely resembles that for reduction of methemoglobin in the human erythrocyte, which prevents methemoglobinemia...
- AUTO-ANALYZER FOR FIVE HEMOGLOBIN SPECIES AND BILIRUBINJOHN STEINKE; Fiscal Year: 1992..percent oxyhemoglobin saturation); percent HbCO (percent carboxyhemoglobin saturation); percent Hi (percent methemoglobin saturation; also known as hemiglobin); percent Hb (percent deoxyhemoglobin saturation); percent SHb (percent ..
- CYTOCHROME B5--A CASE STUDY IN MOLECULAR RECOGNITIONMario Rivera; Fiscal Year: 1999..The form found in erythrocytes is involved in the pathway for methemoglobin reduction...
- Pulse CO-Oximeter for Multiple Hemoglobin SpeciesJONAS POLOGE; Fiscal Year: 2009..In reality, two other hemoglobin species -- carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) and methemoglobin (metHb), collectively termed dyshemoglobins -- are present at all times...
- Noninvasive Methemoglobin Monitoring TechnologyLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..applicant): This research is designed to meet a critical need for a noninvasive, reliable, and cost-effective methemoglobin sensor...
- Gregory M Vercellotti; Fiscal Year: 2015..Hemolysis releases hemoglobin in the vasculature, which when oxidized to methemoglobin can release toxic heme that promotes a pro-oxidative, pro-inflammatory and pro-thrombotic environment...
- Acute Cyanide Toxicity, Complex IV, NO & NitriteJames Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2010..has decreased, in part, because of the uncertain assumption that its mechanism of action is the induction of methemoglobin (MetHb)...
- PEDIATRIC SUB-MICROLITER BLOOD SAMPLING AND ASSAYWilson Smart; Fiscal Year: 2000..will then be inserted into the detector and the optical absorbance of oxy-hemoglobin, deoxy-hemoglobin, and methemoglobin will be measured using 3 light emitting diodes (LEDs)...
- NONINVASIC OPTICAL SENSOR FOR HEMOGLOBIN MEASUREMENTSLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 1999..be measured are levels of oxyhemoglobin (O2Hb) reduced or deoxyhemoglobin (RHb), carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) and methemoglobin (MetHb). It also became evident that the approach could also be used to estimate hematocrit...
- Crystalline hydroxocobalamin and methemoglobin as a treatment of H2S intoxicationPHILIPPE A HAOUZI; Fiscal Year: 2013..H2S very rapidly in the blood and tissues of rats based on the use of the crystalline form of low dose of methemoglobin (as a source of ferric Iron) and high dose of Vitamin B12 (as a source of oxidized Cobalt)...
- REFERENCE LABORATORY TO EVALUATE THERAPIES FOR SCDToshio Asakura; Fiscal Year: 2004..The SCD-RL also studies the adverse effects of potential drugs such as formation of methemoglobin, hemolysis, and/or increase in the amount of denatured hemoglobin inside RBCs...
- Yi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2014..is particularly useful for studying blood deoxyhemoglobin (foundation of fMRI) and blood breakdown products, methemoglobin, hemosiderin and ferritin (various bleeding disorders including traumatic brain injury, hemorrhage and ..
- Quantitative Brain Tissue Magnetic Susceptibility Property AnalyzerYi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2011..is particularly useful for studying blood deoxyhemoglobin (foundation of fMRI) and blood breakdown products, methemoglobin, hemosiderin and ferritin (various bleeding disorders including traumatic brain injury, hemorrhage and ..
- ERYTHROPOIETIC AND HEMODYNAMIC RESPONSE TO HYPOXEMIAJohn Widness; Fiscal Year: 1990..Fetal hypoxemia will be induced by the intravenous infusion of sodium nitrite resulting in methemoglobin formation, and simultaneous P50 changes will be induced experimentally by fetal pH changes...
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION RELATIONSHIP OF HEMOGLOBIN AAli Mansouri; Fiscal Year: 1980..This work deals with the study of the influence of conformational changes on enzymatic methemoglobin reduction as well as with several aspects of oxidation...
- GENETIC SUSCEPTIBILITY TO AROMATIC AMINE TOXICITYCHARLENE MCQUEEN; Fiscal Year: 1992..The major toxic responses to this class of chemicals are the production of methemoglobin and tumors...
- IN VITRO IMMUNOTOXICITY STUDIES ON A HERBICIDE PROPANILJohn Barnett; Fiscal Year: 2000..Earlier studies showed a neurotoxic as well as a hematotoxic effects, i.e., propanil causes anemia and methemoglobin formation. The immunotoxic effects of propanil have been documented by Barnett and his coworkers...
- NOVEL ORGANIC REAGENTS FOR BIOMEDICAL APPLICATIONSRAMACHANDRA HOSMANE; Fiscal Year: 2002..and investigate their physical, compositional, and functional properties, including molecular weight, methemoglobin levels, storage stability, oxygen affinity (P50), cooperativity (Hill n value), and dependence of P50 on pH (..
- OXYGEN TRANSPORT: HEMOGLOBINS WITH MODIFIED HEMESJohn Moffat; Fiscal Year: 1980..Almost the last readily accessible liganded hemoglobin is nitrite methemoglobin which is unusual as it may be either N- or O-bonded; X-ray studies may reveal this...
- ABNORMAL HEMOGLOBIN SYNTHESIS--MECHANISM AND DETECTIONYUET KAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..These three avenues of investigation may help to prevent homozygous disease and lead to new insight in the treatment of sickle cell anemia and thalassemia. ..
- Abnormal Hemoglobin Synthesis -- Mechanism and DetectionYUET KAN; Fiscal Year: 2005This application is a continuation on our studies of normal and abnormal hemoglobin synthesis in sickle cell anemia and thalassemia. The project in the previous grant period consisted of three aims...
- Molecular Pathophysiology of HbE DiseasesRHODA HIRSCH; Fiscal Year: 2005Hemoglobin (Hb) E (beta26 Glu6Lys) is the most common worldwide abnormal hemoglobin (Hb) variant. Homozygotes for HbE present a benign clinical picture with mild anemia...
- HEMOGLOBIN AND ERYTHROCYTE MEMBRANE INTERACTIONBANGALORE PREMACHANDRA; Fiscal Year: 1990We propose that in sickle cell anemic individuals,the interaction of abnormal hemoglobin (Hb) with the cytoplasmic surface of the red cell may be the primary causative factor in the formation of Irreversible Sickle Cells (ISCs) which ..
- DISPOSABLE BLOOD VISCOMETERNOH PARK; Fiscal Year: 1992..be a powerful diagnostic tool for early detections of cancer, heart disease, peripheral arterial disease, abnormal hemoglobin, or some immunological disorders...
- COMPLEMENT--PLASMA MEMBRANE FUNCTIONAL INTERACTIONSAnne Nicholson Weller; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will perform studies in normal and PNH erthrocytes, as well as in cells carrying abnormal hemoglobin, such as SS, SC, or CC which are known to have volume regulatory pathways that we predict would decrease ..
- SPLENIC TOXICITY OF ANILINEM Firoze Khan; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will elucidate the mechanisms of aniline-induced splenic toxicity, and will be important in devising strategies to prevent toxicity, and in risk assessment of aniline and other structurally-related aromatic amines. ..
- Mechanically Stable Blood SubstitutesAndre Francis Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed work is both innovative and significant, because novel LEAcHb hybrid vesicles with engineered structural and mechanical characteristics will be created for use as an artificial blood substitute. ..
- Enhanced O2 Delivery to C3A HepatocytesAndre Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The knowledge gained from this study is expected to be of benefit in the design of hepatocyte containing HF bioreactors for use as potential BLADs. ..
- Effects of Nitric Oxide in Sickle Cell BloodDANIEL KIM SHAPIRO; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our studies will help us understand important issues related to NO's role in sickle cell disease and in the general population. ..
- Honors Undergraduate Research Training at SSUHarpal Singh; Fiscal Year: 2006..A mandatory Bioethics course is proposed for MARC participants. The SSU MARC program is a concerted approach to enlarge the pool of minority biomedical scientists. ..
- Xenobiotics, Lipid Peroxidation and AutoimmunityM Firoze Khan; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- EARDA Transition: Further Enhance Faculty and Student R*Harpal Singh; Fiscal Year: 2005..The administration enthusiastically supports, and is committed to the continuation of research development capability of faculty and students when EARDA funding concludes. ..
- A QTL for fetal hemoglobin and F cells on chromosome 8qSwee Thein; Fiscal Year: 2003..The discovery of these factors may also suggest new approaches for therapeutic augmentation of fetal hemoglobin production in patients with SCD and beta thalassemia. ..
- Simple, Selective Antimitotic Antiparasitic AgentsKarl Werbovetz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Metabolism and Carcinogenicity of Heterocyclic AminesTERRY ZENSER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Determine effect of DSS-induced colitis inflammation) in IQ carcinogenicity. The long-term goal is to understand the role of RNOS on HCA carcinogenesis. ..
- Glutathione in Environmental Toxicity and DiseaseHOWARD SHERTZER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our proposed research should therefore help focus future genotype-phenotype association studies between the appropriate DNA variant sites in the GCLC and GCLM genes and disease. ..
- Thermodynamic Properties of NADH:Nitrate ReductaseMichael Barber; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will enhance our understanding of important structure-function relationships in NR and other related metalloflavoproteins. ..
- HBF VARIANTS FOR GENE THERAPY OF SICKLE CELL DISEASEKazuhiko Adachi; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Cohort Study of Nitrate Exposure, MHG, and HealthCatherine Zeman; Fiscal Year: 2004..diarrheal disease experiences), methemoglobinemia history and/or self reported symptoms, if any, current methemoglobin level, and lymphocyte response status as an indicator of immuno-competency; (a number of measures including ..
- RECEPTOR MEDIATED OXIDATIVE STRESSHOWARD SHERTZER; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will improve our understanding of how PHAHs such as TCDD generate oxidative stress and mutagenesis, leading to better models for risk assessment and novel strategies for intervention in PHAH-mediated toxicity. ..