Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: furin
Description: furin, paired basic amino acid cleaving enzyme
Alias: FUR, PACE, PCSK3, SPC1, furin, FES upstream region, dibasic processing enzyme, furin, membrane associated receptor protein, paired basic amino acid residue-cleaving enzyme, proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 3
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Intracellular trafficking and activation of the furin proprotein convertase: localization to the TGN and recycling from the cell surfaceS S Molloy
Vollum Institute, Portland, OR
EMBO J 13:18-33. 1994b>Furin is a membrane-associated endoprotease that efficiently cleaves precursor proteins on the C-terminal side of the consensus sequence, Arg-X-Lys/Arg-Arg1, and has been proposed to catalyze these reactions in both exocytic and ..
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 is an intracellular inhibitor of furin proprotein convertaseDenis Bernot
INSERM, U626, Université de Méditerranée, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseilles Cedex 5, France
J Cell Sci 124:1224-30. 2011..the serine protease inhibitor plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (PAI-1) forms an SDS-stable complex with the PC furin, which leads to the inhibition of the intra-Golgi activity of furin...
- Polymorphisms in the transforming growth factor beta 1 pathway in relation to colorectal cancer progressionAsta Forsti
Department of Molecular Genetic Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 49:270-81. 2010..predicted functional effect, nine single-nucleotide polymorphisms (TGFB1: Leu10Pro; TGFBR1: 9A/6A and IVS7G+24A; FURIN: C-229T; THBS1: T+42C; LTBP1L: C-256G; LTBP4: T-893G and Thr750Ala; BAMBI: T-779A) were selected for genotyping...
- Differential processing of proenkephalin by prohormone convertases 1(3) and 2 and furinM B Breslin
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans 70112
J Biol Chem 268:27084-93. 1993Recombinant vaccinia virus vectors were used to coexpress mouse prohormone convertase 1 (mPC1), mPC2, or human furin together with human proenkephalin in GH4C1 cells (rat pituitary somatomammotrophs) to examine the proteolytic processing ..
- Human Ubc9 is involved in intracellular HIV-1 Env stability after trafficking out of the trans-Golgi network in a Gag dependent mannerChristopher R Bohl
Nebraska Center for Virology and the School of Biological Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e69359. 2013..This study provides further insight in the processing and packaging of the HIV-1 gp120 into mature HIV-1 virions. ..
- Hypoxia-enhanced expression of the proprotein convertase furin is mediated by hypoxia-inducible factor-1: impact on the bioactivation of proproteinsStephanie McMahon
Immunology Division, Pulmonary Division, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec
J Biol Chem 280:6561-9. 2005..many angiogenic and invasion-related mediators, some of which are natural substrates for the proprotein convertase furin. Analysis of furin promoters revealed the presence of putative binding sites for hypoxia-inducible factor-1 (HIF-1)..
- The production of cleaved, trimeric human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) envelope glycoprotein vaccine antigens and infectious pseudoviruses using linear polyethylenimine as a transfection reagentMarc Kirschner
Institute for Virology and Immunobiology, University of Wurzburg, Versbacher Str 7, 97078 Wurzburg, Germany
Protein Expr Purif 48:61-8. 2006..of properly folded, cleaved trimers is complicated by the requirement for co-expression of the exogenous protease furin, to facilitate the efficient processing oft the gp120-gp41 cleavage site...
- Opposing function of the proprotein convertases furin and PACE4 on breast cancer cells' malignant phenotypes: role of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase-1Marion Lapierre
INSERM U716, Team AVENIR, Institut de Genetique Moleculaire, Universite Paris 7, Paris, France
Cancer Res 67:9030-4. 2007..Taken together, these data showed the specific and opposing roles of Furin and PACE4 in the regulation of MMP-9/TIMP-1-mediated cell motility and invasion.
- Demonstration of a novel HIV-1 restriction phenotype from a human T cell lineYanxing Han
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2796. 2008..So far, no human gene has been found to effectively block wild type HIV-1 replication under natural condition. Thus, identification of such a gene product would be of great medical importance for the development of HIV therapies...
- MicroRNA-24 regulates the processing of latent TGFβ1 during cyclic mechanical stress in human trabecular meshwork cells through direct targeting of FURINCoralia Luna
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Cell Physiol 226:1407-14. 2011..CMS induced the expression of miR-24 that led to the down regulation of the subtilisin-like proprotein convertase FURIN, which is known to play a major role in the processing of TGFβ1...
- Hepatitis C virus-induced furin and thrombospondin-1 activate TGF-β1: role of TGF-β1 in HCV replicationLance D Presser
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, H M Bligh Cancer Research Laboratories, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Chicago Medical School, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064, USA
Virology 412:284-96. 2011..Using siRNA approach we demonstrated that HCV-induced furin and thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1) are involved in the proteolytic activation of TGF-β1...
- Propeptide cleavage conditions sortilin/neurotensin receptor-3 for ligand bindingC Munck Petersen
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Aarhus, Ole Worms Alle, Building 170, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
EMBO J 18:595-604. 1999..The luminal N-terminus of sortilin comprises a consensus sequence for cleavage by furin, R41WRR44, which precedes a truncation originally found in sortilin isolated from human brain...
- Single amino acid substitution in the PC1/3 propeptide can induce significant modifications of its inhibitory profile toward its cognate enzymeNadia Rabah
Neuropeptides Structure and Metabolism, Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, 110 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:7556-67. 2006..To examine the specificity of mutants, we studied their reactivity toward furin, a closely related convertase...
- Inhibition of furin-mediated cleavage activation of HIV-1 glycoprotein gp160S Hallenberger
Institut fur Virologie, Philips Universität Marburg, Germany
Nature 360:358-61. 1992..found that the enzyme activating the haemagglutinin of fowl plague virus (FPV), an avian influenza virus, is furin. Furin, a subtilisin-like eukaryotic endoprotease, has a substrate specificity for the consensus amino-acid ..
- A mutation of furin causes the lack of precursor-processing activity in human colon carcinoma LoVo cellsS Takahashi
Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 195:1019-26. 1993b>Furin has been proposed to be the endoprotease responsible for precursor cleavage at Arg-X-Lys/Arg-Arg (RXK/RR) sites within the constitutive secretory pathway...
- Two independent targeting signals in the cytoplasmic domain determine trans-Golgi network localization and endosomal trafficking of the proprotein convertase furinW Schafer
Institut fur Virologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
EMBO J 14:2424-35. 1995b>Furin, a subtilisin-like eukaryotic endoprotease, is responsible for proteolytic cleavage of cellular and viral proteins transported via the constitutive secretory pathway...
- Intracellular trafficking of furin is modulated by the phosphorylation state of a casein kinase II site in its cytoplasmic tailB G Jones
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201 3098, USA
EMBO J 14:5869-83. 1995Human furin catalyzes the proteolytic maturation of many proproteins in the exocytic and endocytic secretory pathways by cleavage at the C-terminal side of the consensus sequence-ArgXaaLys/ArgArg decreases -...
- Comparative analysis of expression of the proprotein convertases furin, PACE4, PC1 and PC2 in human lung tumoursM Mbikay
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Br J Cancer 75:1509-14. 1997..b>Furin mRNA was expressed in all the tumours; its level in squamous cell carcinomas and adenocarcinomas was on average ..
- The Notch1 receptor is cleaved constitutively by a furin-like convertaseF Logeat
Unité de Biologie Moléculaire de l Expression Génique, Unité de Recherche Associée 1773 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:8108-12. 1998..We report here that constitutive processing of murine Notch1 involves a furin-like convertase...
- Regulation of membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase activation by proprotein convertasesI Yana
Department of Internal Medicine and the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Mol Biol Cell 11:2387-401. 2000..proteolytic activity were blocked by mutating these recognition motifs or by inhibiting the proprotein convertases furin and PC6 with the serpin-based inhibitor alpha(1) antitrypsin Portland...
- PACS-1 binding to adaptors is required for acidic cluster motif-mediated protein trafficC M Crump
Vollum Institute, L 474, Oregon Health Sciences University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97201 3098, USA
EMBO J 20:2191-201. 2001..correct subcellular localization of integral membrane proteins that contain acidic cluster sorting motifs, such as furin and human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) NEF: We have now investigated the interaction of PACS-1 with ..
- Furin processing and proteolytic activation of Semliki Forest virusXinyong Zhang
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Virol 77:2981-9. 2003..p62," which forms a stable heterodimer with E1 and is processed late in the secretory pathway by a cellular furin-like protease...
- Human carcinoma cell growth and invasiveness is impaired by the propeptide of the ubiquitous proprotein convertase furinRicardo Lopez De Cicco
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Cancer Res 65:4162-71. 2005b>Furin, a potent proprotein convertase involved in activation of several cancer-related substrates, is synthesized as an inactive zymogen, thus minimizing the occurrence of premature enzymatic activity that would lead to inappropriate ..
- Furin-like proprotein convertases are central regulators of the membrane type matrix metalloproteinase-pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 proteolytic cascade in atherosclerosisPhilipp Stawowy
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Circulation 111:2820-7. 2005..This type of activation typically requires suitable furin-like proprotein convertases (PCs), specifically furin and PC5...
- The proprotein convertase (PC) PCSK9 is inactivated by furin and/or PC5/6A: functional consequences of natural mutations and post-translational modificationsSuzanne Benjannet
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:30561-72. 2006..mutations R218S, F216L, and D374Y associated with hypercholesterolemia result in total or partial loss of furin/PC5/6A processing at the motif RFHR218 downward arrow...
- Increased expression of the pro-protein convertase furin predicts decreased survival in ovarian cancerRobert E Page
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Cell Oncol 29:289-99. 2007..We sought to determine if there was an association between the expression of the ubiquitously expressed PCs, furin, PACE-4, PC-5 and PC-7, and ovarian tumor progression.
- Selective inhibition of proprotein convertases represses the metastatic potential of human colorectal tumor cellsNathalie Scamuffa
INSERM U716, Equipe Avenir, Institut de Genetique Moleculaire, and Université Paris 7, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 118:352-63. 2008..and murine colon carcinoma cell lines HT-29 and CT-26, respectively, was inhibited using siRNA targeting the PCs furin, PACE4, PC5, and PC7 or by overexpression of the general PC inhibitor alpha1-antitrypsin Portland (alpha1-PDX)...
- The activation and physiological functions of the proprotein convertasesNabil G Seidah
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, 110 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:1111-25. 2008..Seven of them cleave after basic amino acids and are called PC1/3, PC2, furin, PC4, PC5/6, PACE4 and PC7...
- Thyroid hormone promotes cell invasion through activation of furin expression in human hepatoma cell linesRuey Nan Chen
Department of Biochemistry, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen hwa 1 Road, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan, Republic of China
Endocrinology 149:3817-31. 2008..The gene encoding furin, as previously identified by cDNA microarray, is known to be up-regulated by T(3) treatment, and stimulated furin ..
- In vivo evidence that furin from hepatocytes inactivates PCSK9Rachid Essalmani
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:4257-63. 2011..Ex vivo data showed that human PCSK9 is inactivated by cleavage at Arg(218)↓ by the overexpressed convertases furin and PC5/6A...
- The proprotein convertases, 20 years laterNabil G Seidah
Biochemical Neuroendocrinology Laboratory, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada H2W 1R7
Methods Mol Biol 768:23-57. 2011..The family of PCs comprises nine members, PC1/3, PC2, furin, PC4, PC5/6, PACE4, PC7, SKI-1/S1P, and PCSK9 (Fig. 3.1)...
- The biology and therapeutic targeting of the proprotein convertasesNabil G Seidah
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal affiliated to University of Montreal, 110 Pine Ave West, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
Nat Rev Drug Discov 11:367-83. 2012..Seven of these (proprotein convertase 1 (PC1), PC2, furin, PC4, PC5, paired basic amino acid cleaving enzyme 4 (PACE4) and PC7) activate cellular and pathogenic precursor ..
- Processing of transforming growth factor beta 1 precursor by human furin convertaseC M Dubois
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 270:10618-24. 1995..To determine whether cleavage of pro-TGF beta 1 can be achieved by the furin convertase in vitro, purified precursor was incubated in the presence of a truncated/secreted form of the enzyme...
- Furin is important but not essential for the proteolytic maturation of gp160 of HIV-1M Gu
Laboratory of Microbial Ecology, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
FEBS Lett 365:95-7. 1995..This sequence is expected to be a substrate for the cellular protease furin. We examined whether furin is responsible for cleavage of gp160 by using a furin-deficient CHO cell line and the ..
- The convertases furin and PC1 can both cleave the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 envelope glycoprotein gp160 into gp120 (HIV-1 SU) and gp41 (HIV-I TM)E Decroly
Laboratoire de Chimie Physique des Macromolecules aux Interfaces, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
J Biol Chem 269:12240-7. 1994..Northern blot analysis provided evidence that furin and PC1, but not PC2, are expressed in the CD4+ human lymphoblastoid H9 cell line, suggesting the possible ..
- A furin-defective cell line is able to process correctly the gp160 of human immunodeficiency virus type 1Y Ohnishi
Institute for Disease Mechanism and Control, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
J Virol 68:4075-9. 1994b>Furin, a subtilisin-like mammalian endoprotease, is thought to be responsible for the processing of many proprotein precursors of cellular and viral origin, including gp160 of human immunodeficiency virus type 1, which share the ..
- Comparative cellular processing of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) envelope glycoprotein gp160 by the mammalian subtilisin/kexin-like convertasesF Vollenweider
J A DeSève Laboratories of Biochemical and Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biochem J 314:521-32. 1996..of the envelope glycoprotein gp160 and its intracellular processing by the subtilisin/kexin-like convertases furin, PACE4, PC1, PC5 and its isoform PC5/6-B...
- Inhibition of soluble recombinant furin by human proteinase inhibitor 8J R Dahlen
Department of Pathology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131, USA
J Biol Chem 273:1851-4. 1998b>Furin is a ubiquitous prototypical mammalian kexin/subtilisin-like endoproteinase that is involved in the proteolytic processing of a variety of proteins in the exocytic and endocytic pathways, with cleavage occurring at the C terminus ..
- Furin: a mammalian subtilisin/Kex2p-like endoprotease involved in processing of a wide variety of precursor proteinsK Nakayama
Institute of Biological Sciences and Gene Experiment Center, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba Science City, Ibaraki 305, Japan
Biochem J 327:625-35. 1997..Seven distinct proprotein convertases of this family (furin, PC2, PC1/PC3, PC4, PACE4, PC5/PC6, LPC/PC7/PC8/SPC7) have been identified in mammalian species, some having ..
- PACS-1 defines a novel gene family of cytosolic sorting proteins required for trans-Golgi network localizationL Wan
Vollum Institute, The Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
Cell 94:205-16. 1998..PACS-1 directs the TGN localization of furin by binding to the protease's phosphorylated cytosolic domain...
- ADAMTS-1 is an active metalloproteinase associated with the extracellular matrixK Kuno
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Cancer Research Institute, Kanazawa University, 13 1 Takara machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 0934, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:18821-6. 1999..In addition, we showed that the removal of the pro-domain from the ADAMTS-1 precursor is impaired in the furin-deficient cell line, LoVo, and that the processing ability of the cells is restored by the co-expression of the ..
- The proprotein convertases furin and PACE4 play a significant role in tumor progressionD E Bassi
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19006, USA
Mol Carcinog 28:63-9. 2000..This family of PCs is currently comprised of fewer than a dozen members, known as furin/paired basic amino-acid-cleaving enzyme (PACE), PC1/PC3, PC2, PC4, PACE4, PC5/PC6, and PC7/PC8/lymphoma proprotein ..
- Proprotein convertase furin interacts with and cleaves pro-ADAMTS4 (Aggrecanase-1) in the trans-Golgi networkPing Wang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Biol Chem 279:15434-40. 2004..In this study, by using both furin-specific inhibitor and RNA interference technique, we demonstrate that furin plays an important role in the ..
- Furin cleavage of the HIV-1 Tat proteinIlia Tikhonov
Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, 725 W Lombard St Rm N533, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
FEBS Lett 565:89-92. 2004..a. 48-56), we identified two putative furin cleavage sites and showed that Tat protein was cleaved in vitro at the second site, RQRR\ (a.a. 53-56\)...
- Polyarginine inhibits gp160 processing by furin and suppresses productive human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectionKaren V Kibler
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0460, USA
J Biol Chem 279:49055-63. 2004..into gp120 and gp41 has been attributed to the activity of the cellular subtilisin-like proprotein convertase furin. The prototypic furin recognition cleavage site is Arg-X-Arg/Lys-Arg...
- Beta-amyloid protein converting enzyme 1 and brain-specific type II membrane protein BRI3: binding partners processed by furinLouise Wickham
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Neurochem 92:93-102. 2005..Furthermore, pulse and pulse-chase analyses revealed that the pro-protein convertases furin, and to a lesser extent PC7 and PC5A, process BRI3 into a C-terminal secreted approximately 4-kDa product...
- Furin directly cleaves proMMP-2 in the trans-Golgi network resulting in a nonfunctioning proteinaseJian Cao
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5200, USA
J Biol Chem 280:10974-80. 2005..Here, we report that a dibasic amino acid convertase, furin, directly cleaves proMMP-2 within the trans-Golgi network leading to an inactive form of matrix metalloproteinase-..
- Proprotein convertase furin is preferentially expressed in T helper 1 cells and regulates interferon gammaMarko Pesu
MIIB NIAMS NIH, Bldg 10, Rm 9N262, 10 Center Dr, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 108:983-5. 2006..Surprisingly, a ubiquitously expressed proprotein convertase (PC), furin, was one of the most consistently IL-12-induced genes in T cells, and among PCs was the only one regulated by this ..
- Stability of a receptor-binding active human immunodeficiency virus type 1 recombinant gp140 trimer conferred by intermonomer disulfide bonding of the V3 loop: differential effects of protein disulfide isomerase on CD4 and coreceptor bindingJ Billington
Virology Division, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
J Virol 81:4604-14. 2007..Further characterization showed the intermonomer disulfide bond to be a target for PDI processing. The relevance of these findings to the roles of the V3 domain and the timing of PDI action during the HIV infection process are discussed...
- Importance of the membrane-perturbing properties of the membrane-proximal external region of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gp41 to viral fusionSundaram A Vishwanathan
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory Vaccine Center, and Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
J Virol 82:5118-26. 2008..These data suggest that both structural (for Env incorporation) and functional (membrane disruption) constraints may contribute to the highly conserved nature of this region...
- The tyrosine kinase c-Src directly mediates growth factor-induced Notch-1 and Furin interaction and Notch-1 activation in pancreatic cancer cellsYong Chao Ma
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Cancer Institute, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 7:e33414. 2012The proteolytic activity of Furin responsible for processing full length Notch-1 (p300) plays a critical role in Notch signaling...
- Increased furin activity enhances the malignant phenotype of human head and neck cancer cellsDaniel E Bassi
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Am J Pathol 162:439-47. 2003..b>Furin, the prototype of this family, has been implicated in many physiological and pathological processes...
- Expression of a human proprotein processing enzyme: correct cleavage of the von Willebrand factor precursor at a paired basic amino acid siteR J Wise
Genetics Institute, Cambridge, MA 02140
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87:9378-82. 1990..The encoded protein, called PACE (paired basic amino acid cleaving enzyme), has structural homology to the well-characterized subtilisin-like ..
- The status of community water fluoridation in the United StatesM W Easley
Department of Comprehensive Dentistry, University of Detroit, School of Dentistry
Public Health Rep 105:348-53. 1990..This paper documents the lagging pace of community fluoridation by reviewing and analyzing data reported in "Fluoridation Census, 1985," a document ..
- The family of subtilisin/kexin like pro-protein and pro-hormone convertases: divergent or shared functionsN G Seidah
JA DeSève Laboratories of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Que, Canada
Biochimie 76:197-209. 1994..These subtilisin/kexin-like convertases were called furin/PACE, PC1/PC3, PC2, PACE4, PC4 and PC5/PC6...
- Comparative study of the binding pockets of mammalian proprotein convertases and its implications for the design of specific small molecule inhibitorsSun Tian
Institute of Biomechanics School of Bioscience and Bioengineering, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou 510006, China
Int J Biol Sci 6:89-95. 2010..Seven mammalian subtilisin/Kex2p-like proprotein convertases have been identified: furin, PC1, PC2, PC4, PACE4, PC5 and PC7...
- An arthropod enzyme, Dfurin1, and a vertebrate furin homolog display distinct cleavage site sequence preferences for a shared viral proprotein substrateGina L Cano-Monreal
Department of Biology, The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78249 0662, USA
J Insect Sci 10:29. 2010Alphaviruses replicate in vertebrate and arthropod cells and utilize a cellular enzyme called furin to process the PE2 glycoprotein precursor during virus replication in both cell types...
- Insulin delivery with plasmid DNAA M Abai
Department of Molecular Biology, Vical, Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Hum Gene Ther 10:2637-49. 1999..rat proinsulin I with the B10 aspartic acid point mutation (VR-3502), and a derivative of VR-3502 with a furin cleavage site added at the B-chain and C-peptide junction (VR-3503)...
- Immunohistochemical localization of subtilisin/kexin-like proprotein convertases in human atherosclerosisPhilipp Stawowy
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Virchows Arch 446:351-9. 2005..In vitro, the subtilisin/kexin-like proprotein convertases (PCs), namely PC5 and furin, have been shown to be responsible for the endoproteolytic activation of the alpha(v) integrin subunit...
- A role for PACE4 in the proteolytic activation of anthrax toxin protective antigenV M Gordon
Laboratory of Microbial Ecology, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Infect Immun 65:3370-5. 1997..that anthrax toxin protective antigen (PA), Pseudomonas exotoxin A (PE), and diphtheria toxin (DT) are cleaved by furin C-terminal to the sequences RKKR, RQPR, and RVRR, respectively...
- Furin and prohormone convertase 1/3 are major convertases in the processing of mouse pro-growth hormone-releasing hormoneArunangsu Dey
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Endocrinology 145:1961-71. 2004We investigated the proteolytic processing of mouse pro-GHRH [84 amino acids (aa)] by furin, PC1/3, PC2, and PC5/6A...
- Molluscum contagiosum virus interleukin-18 (IL-18) binding protein is secreted as a full-length form that binds cell surface glycosaminoglycans through the C-terminal tail and a furin-cleaved form with only the IL-18 binding domainYan Xiang
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases National Institutes of Health, 4 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 0445, USA
J Virol 77:2623-30. 2003..This C-terminal fragment resulted from the cleavage of MC54L by cellular furin, as it was greatly diminished when furin was specifically inhibited or when a furin-deficient cell line was used ..
- The CDX2 transcription factor regulates furin expression during intestinal epithelial cell differentiationFernand Pierre Gendron
Département d Anatomie et de Biologie Cellulaire, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada J1H5N4
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G310-8. 2006..In this study, we show that the proprotein convertase furin, involved in proteolytic maturation of proprotein substrates including LPH and cell surface proteins, is a CDX2 ..
- Processing specificity and biosynthesis of the Drosophila melanogaster convertases dfurin1, dfurin1-CRR, dfurin1-X, and dfurin2I De Bie
J A DeSève Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 270:1020-8. 1995..Six members of this family of enzymes have been identified in mammals and named furin (also called PACE), PC1 (also called PC3), PC2, PACE4, PC4, and PC5 (also called PC6)...
- Prohormone convertases 1/3, 2, furin and protein 7B2 (Secretogranin V) in endocrine cells of the human pancreasGuida Maria Portela-Gomes
Department of Gastroenterology, Lisbon University, Portugal
Regul Pept 146:117-24. 2008..been identified; two of them, PC1/3 and PC2, have only been localized in neuroendocrine (NE) tissues; a third, furin, in both endocrine and exocrine tissues...
- Proprotein-processing endoprotease furin controls growth of pancreatic beta-cellsT Kayo
Department of Molecular Medicine, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan
Diabetes 46:1296-304. 1997..PC2 and PC3, and glucose-regulated insulin secretion, diminished when the proprotein-processing endoprotease furin was highly expressed...
- Characterization of proADAMTS5 processing by proprotein convertasesJean Michel Longpre
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Que J1H 5N4, Canada
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:1116-26. 2009..Using furin-deficient cells and a furin inhibitor, we found that proADAMTS5 was processed by proprotein convertases, ..
- Limited redundancy of the proprotein convertase furin in mouse liverAnton J M Roebroek
Experimental Mouse Genetics, University of Leuven and Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Biol Chem 279:53442-50. 2004b>Furin is an endoprotease of the family of mammalian proprotein convertases and is involved in the activation of a large variety of regulatory proteins by cleavage at basic motifs...
- In vivo bioluminescence imaging of furin activity in breast cancer cells using bioluminogenic substratesAnca Dragulescu-Andrasi
Department of Radiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Bioconjug Chem 20:1660-6. 2009b>Furin, a proprotein convertases family endoprotease, processes numerous physiological substrates and is overexpressed in cancer and inflammatory conditions...
- Selective and potent furin inhibitors protect cells from anthrax without significant toxicityAlbert G Remacle
Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, United States
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 42:987-95. 2010b>Furin and related proprotein convertases cleave the multibasic motifs R-X-R/K/X-R in the precursor proteins and, as a result, transform the latent proproteins into biologically active proteins and peptides...
- Human furin is a calcium-dependent serine endoprotease that recognizes the sequence Arg-X-X-Arg and efficiently cleaves anthrax toxin protective antigenS S Molloy
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201
J Biol Chem 267:16396-402. 1992Previous work demonstrated that human furin is a predominantly Golgi membrane-localized endoprotease that can efficiently process precursor proteins at paired basic residues (-Lys-Arg- or -Arg-Arg-) in transfected cells...
- Potent inhibitors of furin and furin-like proprotein convertases containing decarboxylated P1 arginine mimeticsGero L Becker
Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Philipps University Marburg, Marbacher Weg 6, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
J Med Chem 53:1067-75. 2010b>Furin belongs to the family of proprotein convertases (PCs) and is involved in numerous normal physiological and pathogenic processes, such as viral propagation, bacterial toxin activation, cancer, and metastasis...
- Maturation of the trans-Golgi network protease furin: compartmentalization of propeptide removal, substrate cleavage, and COOH-terminal truncationM Vey
Institut f Virologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 127:1829-42. 1994We have cloned a bovine cDNA encoding the trans-Golgi network (TGN) protease furin and expressed it via recombinant vaccinia viruses to investigate intracellular maturation...
- Endoproteolytic processing of integrin pro-alpha subunits involves the redundant function of furin and proprotein convertase (PC) 5A, but not paired basic amino acid converting enzyme (PACE) 4, PC5B or PC7J C Lissitzky
CNRS UPRESA 6032, Faculte de Pharmacie, 27 Boulevard J Moulin, 13385 Marseille 5 Cedex, France
Biochem J 346:133-8. 2000..endoproteolytic processing at pairs of basic amino acids that is mediated by the proprotein convertase furin. Here we ask whether other convertase family members can participate in these processing events...
- The impact of dietary fats, photoperiod, temperature and season on morphological variables, torpor patterns, and brown adipose tissue fatty acid composition of hamsters, Phodopus sungorusF Geiser
, Marburg, Germany
J Comp Physiol B 165:406-15. 1995..how dietary fats and oils of different fatty acid composition influence the seasonal change of body mass, fur colour, testes size and torpor in Djungarian hamsters, Phodopus sungorus, maintained from autumn to winter under ..
- Characterization of structural determinants and molecular mechanisms involved in pro-stromelysin-3 activation by 4-aminophenylmercuric acetate and furin-type convertasesM Santavicca
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire IGBMC, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U184 Université Louis Pasteur, C U de Strasbourg, France
Biochem J 315:953-8. 1996..Weiss (1995) Nature (London) 375, 244-247], we find that the requirement for activation of the ST3 proform by the furin convertase is entirely contained within a stretch of 10 amino acids located at the junction between the ST3 pro- ..
- Clostridium septicum alpha-toxin is proteolytically activated by furinV M Gordon
National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4350, USA
Infect Immun 65:4130-4. 1997..A conspicuous feature of this site is a recognition site (RGKR) for the eukaryotic protease furin. Pro-alpha-toxin (AT[pro]) that was digested with trypsin or recombinant soluble furin yielded the 41,327-Da ..
- Proteolytic processing of the Cryptosporidium glycoprotein gp40/15 by human furin and by a parasite-derived furin-like protease activityJane W Wanyiri
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Infect Immun 75:184-92. 2007..We identified a putative furin cleavage site RSRR downward arrow in the deduced amino acid sequence of gp40/15 from C...
- 10mM glucosamine prevents activation of proADAMTS5 (aggrecanase-2) in transfected cells by interference with post-translational modification of furinD R McCulloch
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 18:455-63. 2010....
- Proteolytic activation of the spike protein at a novel RRRR/S motif is implicated in furin-dependent entry, syncytium formation, and infectivity of coronavirus infectious bronchitis virus in cultured cellsYoshiyuki Yamada
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Proteos, Singapore 138673
J Virol 83:8744-58. 2009..S) protein of the coronavirus (CoV) infectious bronchitis virus (IBV) is cleaved into S1 and S2 subunits at the furin consensus motif RRFRR(537)/S in virus-infected cells...
- The proprotein convertase furin in human trophoblast: Possible role in promoting trophoblast cell migration and invasionZ Zhou
Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
Placenta 30:929-38. 2009b>Furin, a proprotein convertase (PC), is ubiquitously expressed and implicated in many physiological and pathological processes. This study is aimed to identify the role of furin in human trophoblast invasion and migration...
- Systematic review of psychosocial factors at work and private life as risk factors for back painW E Hoogendoorn
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2114-25. 2000..Insufficient evidence was found for an effect of a high work pace, high qualitative demands, low job content, low job control, and psychosocial factors in private life...
- Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase MT1-MMP/MMP-2 in cardiac fibroblasts by TGF-beta1 involves furin-convertasePhilipp Stawowy
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 63:87-97. 2004..b>Furin, a subtilisin/kexin-like proprotein convertase (PC), activates TGF-beta1 and membrane-bound MT1-MMP, which ..
- Inhibition of HIV-1 gp160-dependent membrane fusion by a furin-directed alpha 1-antitrypsin variantE D Anderson
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201
J Biol Chem 268:24887-91. 1993b>Furin is a membrane-associated calcium-dependent serine endoprotease that cleaves proproteins on the carboxyl side of the consensus sequence -Arg-X-Lys/Arg-Arg-...
- Furin interacts with proMT1-MMP and integrin alphaV at specialized domains of renal cell plasma membraneGaetan Mayer
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7, Canada
J Cell Sci 116:1763-73. 2003..Both membrane type-1 MMP (MT1-MMP) and the integrin alphaV subunit are fully activated upon cleavage at a furin recognition site...
- Inhibition of furin/proprotein convertase-catalyzed surface and intracellular processing by small moleculesTomoko Komiyama
Departments of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0606, USA
J Biol Chem 284:15729-38. 2009b>Furin is a ubiquitously expressed proprotein convertase (PC) that plays a vital role in numerous disease processes including cancer metastasis, bacterial toxin activation (e.g. anthrax and Pseudomonas), and viral propagation (e.g...
- A novel polymorphism of the gene encoding furin, a TGF-beta1 activator, and the influence on cardiac allograft vasculopathy formationC G Densem
Cardiothoracic Transplant Unit, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, UK
Transpl Immunol 13:185-90. 2004..b>Furin is a proprotein convertase enzyme important in TGF-beta1 activation...
- Identification of a pH sensor in the furin propeptide that regulates enzyme activationSylvain F Feliciangeli
Institut de Pharmacologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Valbonne, France
J Biol Chem 281:16108-16. 2006The folding and activation of furin occur through two pH- and compartment-specific autoproteolytic steps...
- Synthetic small molecule furin inhibitors derived from 2,5-dideoxystreptamineGuan Sheng Jiao
Departments of Chemistry, PanThera Biopharma LLC, 99 193 Aiea Heights Drive, Suite 136, Aiea, HI 96701, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:19707-12. 2006b>Furin plays a crucial role in embryogenesis and homeostasis and in diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cancer, and viral and bacterial infections...
- The structure of the TGF-beta latency associated peptide region determines the ability of the proprotein convertase furin to cleave TGF-betasMakoto Kusakabe
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Cell Biochem 103:311-20. 2008..TGF-beta 1, for instance, is predominantly processed by a substilisin-like proprotein convertase, furin. TGF-beta 2 has a consensus cleavage site for furin and therefore has been presumed to be cleaved by furin...
- A small-molecule furin inhibitor inhibits cancer cell motility and invasivenessJulia M Coppola
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neoplasia 10:363-70. 2008b>Furin, a member the proprotein convertase (PC) family, processes inactive precursor proteins to functional proteins within the Golgi/trans-Golgi network secretory pathway...
- Ovarian furin (proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type3): expression, localization, and potential role in ovulation in the ratBrian P Kelty
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chandler Medical Center, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Biol Reprod 83:147-54. 2010The process of ovulation involves weakening of the follicular wall by proteolytic enzymes. The function of FURIN (also known as PCSK3) is to activate various proteolytic enzymes...
- Blockade of furin activity and furin-induced tumor cells malignant phenotypes by the chemically synthesized human furin prodomainA Basak
Chronic Diseases Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, U Ottawa, Canada
Curr Med Chem 17:2214-21. 2010Processing of cancer-associated precursor proteins such as growth factors by the Proprotein Convertase furin is an important cellular process for acquisition of malignant phenotype and metastatic potential of tumor cells...
- Failure of ventral closure and axial rotation in embryos lacking the proprotein convertase FurinA J Roebroek
Laboratory for Molecular Oncology, Experimental Genetics Group, Center for Human Genetics, University of Leuven and Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven
Development 125:4863-76. 1998We have examined the role of Furin in postimplantation-stage mouse embryos by analyzing both the expression pattern of fur mRNA and the developmental consequences of a loss-of-function mutation at the fur locus. At early stages (day 7...
- Tissue-specific requirements for the proprotein convertase furin/SPC1 during embryonic turning and heart loopingD B Constam
Harvard University, Department of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 127:245-54. 2000b>Furin, the mammalian prototype of a family of serine proteases, is required for ventral closure and axial rotation, and formation of the yolk sac vasculature...
- The neuroendocrine precursor 7B2 is a sulfated protein proteolytically processed by a ubiquitous furin-like convertaseL Paquet
Laboratory of Structure and Metabolism of Neuropeptides, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 269:19279-85. 1994..found in constitutively secreted precursor proteins and recognized by the ubiquitously expressed convertase, furin. pro7B2 (30 kDa), when expressed in endocrine (AtT-20, PC12, and GH4C1) or non-endocrine (Ltk-) cell lines using ..
- Proprotein-processing endoprotease furin decreases regulated secretory pathway-specific proteins in the pancreatic beta cell line MIN6T Kayo
Department of Molecular Medicine, Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan
J Biol Chem 271:10731-7. 1996..b>Furin, another yeast Kex2 endoprotease, exists in the trans-Golgi networks of many cell types...
- Localization of endogenous furin in cultured cell linesJ Shapiro
Cell Biology and Metabolism Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 45:3-12. 1997b>Furin is a dibasic endopeptidase responsible for the proteolytic maturation of many precursor proteins in the secretory and endocytic pathways of mammalian cells...
- A furin-like convertase mediates propeptide cleavage of BACE, the Alzheimer's beta -secretaseB D Bennett
Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, and Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 275:37712-7. 2000..BACE propeptide cleavage occurs at the sequence RLPR downward arrowE, a potential furin recognition motif. Here, we explore the role of furin in BACE propeptide domain processing...
- Evidence that furin is an authentic transforming growth factor-beta1-converting enzymeC M Dubois
Immunology Division and Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Canada
Am J Pathol 158:305-16. 2001..PC) recognition motifs and has previously demonstrated that this PC-like cleavage site is correctly cleaved by furin, a member of the PC family...
- Familial British dementia: colocalization of furin and ABri amyloidClaudia Schwab
Kinsmen Laboratory of Neurological Research, University of British Columbia, 2255 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Acta Neuropathol 106:278-84. 2003..Kim and colleagues demonstrated in vitro that furin can process both the normal protein BriPP and the extended protein ABriPP to produce C-terminal fragments of 23 ..
- David A Weisblat; Fiscal Year: 2016..between two different cell types in the embryo reflects differences in the processing of BMP pro-peptides by Furin or other members of the pro- peptide convertase subtilisin/kexin (PCSK) family of proteases, which normally ..
- Blockade of Anthrax Cytotoxicity Using Furin InhibitorsIris Lindberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..Previous research has shown that this cleavage is performed by a cellular surface enzyme known as furin, a member of the family of eukaryotic subtilisins...
- Development and testing of polyvalent anthrax toxin inhibitorsJEREMY S MOGRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Protective antigen (PA) binds cellular receptors and is cleaved by furin-like proteases, which leads to the heptamerization of the cell-associated PA63 fragment...
- Frederick R Maxfield; Fiscal Year: 2014..g., labeled Tac-Furin, Tac-TGN38, CI-MPR) within minutes after inactivation...
- Modulation of the Epithelial Sodium Channel by Proteases and Peptide InhibitorsCHRISTOPHER JOHN PASSERO; Fiscal Year: 2010..The other pool avoids maturation and remains inactive. During maturation, the serine proteases furin and prostasin cleave inhibitory residues from the alpha and gamma subunits of ENaC, activating the channel...
- Genetic Determinants of Hypertensive Heart Disease in CRIDaniel L Dries; Fiscal Year: 2011..The candidate genes of interest are: corin, furin, ANP, BNP, CNP, NPR-A, NPR-B, NPR-C, PKG-I, and NEP...
- Physiologic role of the gamma epithelial sodium channel subunit in the kidneyDonald E Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2010..In particular, cleavage at defined sites of the extracellular domain of the ? subunit by the proteases furin and prostasin has a key role in activating ENaC in heterologous systems, presumably by releasing an inhibitory ..
- Akihiko Ozawa; Fiscal Year: 2014..that two specific proaugurin-derived peptides are generated by the action of the specific proprotein convertase furin in vitro. Furthermore, we have found that proaugurin is sulfated during trafficking through the secretory pathway...
- IgA Protease as Therapy to Reverse IgA NephropathyJiazhou Qiu; Fiscal Year: 2012..Phase I we will use the recent structure information to introduce two mutational insertions that can be cleaved by furin, a specific enzyme that is intended to reduce the IgA protease size without modifying its function...
- Countermeasures for Bioterroism Targeting Cellular Host FactorsJohn C Reed; Fiscal Year: 2012..To become active, Protective Antigen (PA), an essential delivery component of lethal Anthrax Toxin, requires furin-family proteases for proteolytic processing, similar to several additional bacterial virulence factors and viruses,..
- Identification of novel mammalian genes required for intoxication by antrax toxinG Jilani Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2012..Toxin entry into cells comprises multiple steps: PA binds receptors, furin cleaves off a portion of PA, bound PA forms a heptamer, EF and LF bind the heptamer, the whole complex is ..
- Von Willebrand Factor Multimer Assembly and StructureJ Evan Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2012..The cleavage of the VWF propeptide by furin also is regulated by pH, and the role of propeptide cleavage in VWF storage and secretion will be characterized...
- Margaret Kielian; Fiscal Year: 2016..Late in the secretory pathway the companion proteins are proteolytically processed by cellular furin, thereby priming the dimer to dissociate a low pH during virus entry...
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery W Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010..mutations prevent Ca2+ binding to domain 2, rendering plasma gelsolin susceptible to aberrant endoproteolysis by furin in the Golgi during secretion...
- Priming and fusion activation of the SARS coronavirus spike glycoproteinGary R Whittaker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mutation of basic residues in this region leads to a loss of trypsin-mediated fusion and the introduction of a furin recognition site in this position allows fusion in the absence of ACE2 (the SARS-CoV receptor) suggesting an ..
- Iris Lindberg; Fiscal Year: 2014..with Wolfram Bode and Manuel Than, we obtained the first crystal structure of a related family member, furin. Our long-standing collaboration with the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies has identified potent furin ..
- Furin and the Etiopathogenesis of UV-Induced Skin CancerAndres J Klein-Szanto; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Furin is a protein processing enzyme of the family of proprotein convertases (PCs), which has a significant role in cancer etiopathogenesis...
- Structural and Functional Studies of Invertebrate Classical CadherinsMelissa A Walker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Like vertebrate cadherins, DN-cadherin may require proteolytic processing by a furin-like protease to achieve its mature form...
- Identification of short functional motifs as potential drug targets for HIVMartin Schiller; Fiscal Year: 2009..consensus motif (Arg-x-Lys/Arg-Arg;[unreadable]x[unreadable]is any residue) for cleavage by the host protease, Furin. One of the major limitations in identifying short functional motifs is the lack of a systematic approach and ..
- Robert Tarran; Fiscal Year: 2015..applicant): The extracellular loops of [unreadable] and ? ENaC can be roteolytically cleaved at multiple sites by furin-type convertases, serine proteases and neutrophil elastase, leading to activation of the channel and increased Na+ ..
- DANIELLE MARIE WILLIAMSON; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Proprotein convertases (PCs), such as PC1 and furin, are a ubiquitous super-family of evolutionarily conserved serine proteases responsible for mediating a diverse range of processing steps to ..
- Identification of small molecule furin-like protease inhibitorsJULIA COPPOLA; Fiscal Year: 2009..of this proposal is to develop a non-invasive, real-time, quantifiable cell-based assay to detect and report on furin-like protease activity to identify small molecule inhibitors of furin-like proteases by high throughput screening (..
- Longitudinal Impact of Antihypertensive Polypharmacy on Geriatric SyndromesJoseph T Hanlon; Fiscal Year: 2012..alternative approaches detailed below) will have worse performance on the 3MS, CLOX1, the SPPB, and usual walking pace over six meters after propensity score matching and adjusting for important covariates (e.g...
- GENE THERAPY AND SEIZURESThomas J McCown; Fiscal Year: 2011..To further optimize the anti-seizure efficacy, studies will determine if the inclusion of a furin cleavage site supports the expression and secretion of two or more gene products from a single AAV vector, thus ..
- Alex Y Strongin; Fiscal Year: 2015..prodomain while in normal cells MT1- MMP activity is controlled by the intact prodomain that is released by furin cleavage alone...
- Intracellular Actions of the Lymphangiogenic Growth Factor VEGF-D in FibroblastsSouheil El-Chemaly; Fiscal Year: 2013..As VEGF-D processing is known to result from actions of furin and protein conve^rtase (PC)-5, manipulation of VEGF-D processing might produce desirable therapeutic effects on ..
- Specificity and Structure: The Kex 2 and Furin ProteasesRobert Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2005..The first known human Kex2 homologue, furin, is implicated in maturation of growth factors and growth factor receptors, coagulation factors, viral ..
- B LYMPHOCYTES--DIFFERENTIATION AND TRIGGERINGBrigitte Huber; Fiscal Year: 2003..Many retroviral proteins, including HIV-1 gp160 and MMTV env, require processing by furin to be functional...
- Identification of Small Molecule Inhibitors of FurinNORA GREEN; Fiscal Year: 2003Recent experimental findings by the Kelly and Balch groups indicate that the proprotein convertase furin is responsible for the first proteolytic cleavage event in the DI 87N and DI 87Y mutants of gelsolin...
- Hexa-D-Arg: A Furin Inhibitor for Anthrax BiodefensePrasad Sunkara; Fiscal Year: 2004..cleavage of the anthrax toxin-PA (protective antigen) residue by a ubiquitously expressed mammalian cell protease furin, such that it now is able to form a multimeric complex (pore) that enables entry of the LF (lethal factor) and EF (..
- Developing a mouse model to study Notch furin processingGERALDINE WEINMASTER; Fiscal Year: 2002..following ligand binding to a heterodimeric form of Notch that is generated through proteolytic processing by furin. In addition to CSL-dependent Notch signaling we have identified another pathway that functions independently of ..
- Furin Inhibition in HIV DiseaseSeth Pincus; Fiscal Year: 2006..envelope glycoprotein precursor, gpl60, is cleaved into the mature forms, gp120 and gp41, by the cellular protease furin and furin-like proprotein convertases (PPCs)...
- Analysis of BMP-4 activity in Cleavage mutant miceJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2007..ProBMP-4 is initially cleaved at a consensus furin motif adjacent to the mature ligand domain and this allows for subsequent cleavage at an upstream nonconsensus ..
- Role of Sortlin in regulating proteolytic activation of BMP4 during embryogenesisJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2009..BMP4 is generated as a latent precursor, which is cleaved by furin to generate an active ligand...
- David J Feith; Fiscal Year: 2015..Interestingly, both AZ and AdoMetDC-expressing mice exhibit a thin fur phenotype...
- Heme, Iron and Oxidative Stress: Regulation of Iron Homeostasis in H. InfluenzaeRobert S Munson; Fiscal Year: 2013..have constructed mutants in strain 86-028NP that are deficient in the expression of the oxyR gene as well as the fur (ferric uptake regulator) gene and identified the genes in the OxyR and Fur regulons...
- Mechanism of heme regulation of a P. aeruginosa non-coding RNAAMANDA GAIL OGLESBY-SHERROUSE; Fiscal Year: 2013..required for survival, surplus iron or heme can lead to oxidative stress;thus, the ferric uptake regulator (Fur) protein regulates the uptake of these nutrients...
- Iron and O2 in the Regulation of P. aeruginosa VirulenceMichael L Vasil; Fiscal Year: 2012..The ferric uptake regulator (Fur) serves this function in many bacteria. In fact, in the opportunistic pathogen P...
- Iron transport in Shigella and pathogenic E.coliShelley M Payne; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have shown that an iron-binding represser protein (Fur) and a small RNA (RyhB) are involved in regulation of gene expression, including regulation of virulence genes...
- THOMAS V O'HALLORAN; Fiscal Year: 2015..Preliminary studies reveal the first crystal structures for metal-responsive members of the MerR and Fur family proteins bound to their DNA targets, namely CueR/DNA and Zur/DNA...
- Biological Implications of Tetramic AcidKim D Janda; Fiscal Year: 2010..aeruginosa to express genes controlled by the iron starvation Fur/PvdS transcription regulators. Significantly, we have shown that C12-TA affects morphology a in Candida albicans...
- Regulatory Networks of Helicobacter pyloriD Scott Merrell; Fiscal Year: 2011..Herein, we propose detailed genetic and biochemical characterization of one of these factors, Fur. Fur is the only one of the regulators affected by both low pH and iron...
- Rapid Multiplexed Nanoprobe Assays for Pluripotent Stem Cell DifferentiationDavid Larocca; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, our ability to characterize and validate hPS cells has not kept pace with advances in the rate of production...
- Iron transport and its role in pathogenesis of Vibrio choleraeSHELLEY PAYNE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Regulation is mediated by iron and the global regulator Fur and by the small RNA RyhB. There is evidence for additional levels of regulation. We will characterize the V...
- MARK R O'BRIAN; Fiscal Year: 2016..Firstly, it binds Mn2+ at a site dissimilar to the presumed metal binding sites of Fur family proteins, and resolving this issue should give insight as to how it has adapted to be a Mn2+ sensor...
- Regulatory Mechanisms of Helicobacter pyloriD Scott Merrell; Fiscal Year: 2013..We previously showed that expression of the gene that encodes the Ferric Uptake Regulator (Fur) was altered upon exposure of H. pylori to acidic pH and upon iron limitation...
- Steven L Spitalnik; Fiscal Year: 2016..This RBC hemoglobin iron is then rapidly catabolized and returned to plasma at a pace that can exceed the rate of uptake by transferrin, the physiologic iron transporter, thereby producing plasma non-..
- Yersiniabactin and plague pathogenesisROBERT DONALD PERRY; Fiscal Year: 2013..All these genes are regulated by Fur and iron availability...
- FASEB SRC: Trace Elements in Biology and MedicineWilliam E Walden; Fiscal Year: 2010..by previous meetings have led to a number of fruitful collaborations and partnerships that have increased the pace of discovery in this field...
- TRACIE CHIANTI COLLINS; Fiscal Year: 2015..In a pilot study, we used a counseling protocol, Patient-centered Assessment and Counseling for Exercise (PACE), to improve home-based walking and lower limb outcomes...
- The Gonococcal Fur Regulon: Link to PathogenesisCaroline A Genco; Fiscal Year: 2012It is well established that the ferric uptake regulatory protein (Fur) functions as a repressor of gene transcription in a number of diverse microorganisms...
- Effects of Localized Muscle Fatigue on Risk of Occupational Slips and FallsThurmon E Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2012..Additionally, the effects of floor inclination, load carriage, work pace (i.e., walking speed) and age will be ascertained...
- Edward M Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2015..scientific problems in musculoskeletal biology and medicine, in order to improve efficiency, accelerate the pace of research, and facilitate clinical translation...
- FASEB SRC on Lysophospholipd Mediators in Health and DiseaseJulie D Saba; Fiscal Year: 2011..Due to the rapid pace of discovery in this field, this biennial conference is essential to achieving maximal translational potential ..
- Jian Li; Fiscal Year: 2016..Society of America (IDSA), "There simply aren't enough new drugs in the pharmaceutical pipeline to keep pace with drug-resistant bacterial infections, so-called 'superbugs'...
- Role of Inter-alpha Inhibitors in Anthrax IntoxicationSteven Opal; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have obtained evidence that lalp inhibit furin, a key enzyme that activates PA by removing a small 20 kDa fragment at the N-terminal yielding the active subunit ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF PHENOTYPE OF FBN1/FBN2 MUTATIONSDianna Milewicz; Fiscal Year: 2000..thereafter, 140 residues of the carboxyl-terminal fragment are removed by a protease that is a member of the PACE (furin) family...
- Gross Hall Animal Resource CenterSusan V Bryant; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): NIH-funded research involving animals has been increasing at a dramatic pace on the University of California, Irvine (UCI) campus, and is enabling breakthroughs in a number of fields, in particular ..
- 2011 Mechanisms of Membrane Transport Gordon Research ConferenceNancy Carrasco; Fiscal Year: 2011..Though new structures continue to emerge at a rapid pace, functional analysis is having a rebirth in the context of these structures;mechanistic analyses guided by ..
- Exploiting deep ocean biology for biomedical discoveryDavid C Rowley; Fiscal Year: 2011..Antibiotic drug discovery is not keeping pace with rising resistance...
- Anti-Phospholipid Multiplex For Pathologic EpitopesPaul O Neilsen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Application of this knowledge would accelerate the pace of basic and clinical research as well as benefit tens of thousands of U.S. patients each year...
- Delivery of biologically active nucleic acids to epidermal cellsROGER L contact KASPAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..If the goal of this work succeeds, it is expected that the pace of new research and development of nucleic treatments for skin disease will accelerate greatly, spawning many new ..
- 2012 Fragile X and Autism-Related Disorders: From Basic Neuroscience to ImprovedELIZABETH MARA BERRY-KRAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2012..The conference is expected to accelerate the pace of bench-to-bedside translational research to bring important targeted treatments to individuals with FXS and ..
- Dan M Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2016..biological mechanisms;and designing interventions that actually increase physical activity and match the rapid pace of motor development early in life. This team of investigators has addressed these challenges...
- Roberto Caricchio; Fiscal Year: 2016..apoptosis, and when this balance is toward necrosis the disease is more severe and progresses at a faster pace. In AIMs I and II we intend to demonstrate in mouse models of lupus GN that these pathways are regulated by two ..
- Hemin Receptor Gene Family of Bartonella quintanaMICHAEL MINNICK; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will also analyze the potential ferric uptake regulator (fur) box using electrophoretic mobility shift assays and DNA footprinting, and we will map hbp transcription initiation ..
- Recombinant DNA and cDNA, mRNA, protein, antibodies, and a method of detecting tumor cellsPatent Number: EP0246709-A1; Date:1987-11-25