Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: FEZ1
Description: fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1
Alias: UNC-76, fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1, zygin I, zygin-1
- Functional regulation of FEZ1 by the U-box-type ubiquitin ligase E4B contributes to neuritogenesisFumihiko Okumura
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:53533-43. 2004..With a yeast two-hybrid screen, we have now identified FEZ1 (fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1) as a protein that interacts with E4B...
- Two binding partners cooperate to activate the molecular motor Kinesin-1T Lynne Blasius
Department of Cell Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Cell Biol 176:11-7. 2007..We identified fasciculation and elongation protein zeta1 (FEZ1) as a binding partner of kinesin heavy chain...
- Over-expression of GFP-FEZ1 causes generation of multi-lobulated nuclei mediated by microtubules in HEK293 cellsDaniel C F Lanza
Laboratorio Nacional de Luz Sincrotron, Campinas SP, Brazil Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Exp Cell Res 314:2028-39. 2008FEZ1 (Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1) is an ortholog of the Caenorhabditis elegans protein UNC-76, involved in neuronal development and axon outgrowth, in that worm...
- Human FEZ1 has characteristics of a natively unfolded protein and dimerizes in solutionDaniel C F Lanza
Laboratorio Nacional de Luz Sincrotron, Campinas, SP, Brasil
Proteins 74:104-21. 2009The fasciculation and elongation protein Zeta 1 (FEZ1) is the mammalian orthologue of the Caenorhabditis elegans protein UNC-76, which is necessary for axon growth...
- FEZ1 dimerization and interaction with transcription regulatory proteins involves its coiled-coil regionEliana M Assmann
Centro de Biologia Molecular Estrutural, Laboratorio Nacional de Luz Sincrotron, Rua Giuseppe Máximo Scolfaro 10 000, CP 6192, 13084 971 Campinas, SP, Brasil
J Biol Chem 281:9869-81. 2006The fasciculation and elongation protein zeta1 (FEZ1) is a mammalian orthologue of the Caenorhabditis elegans protein UNC-76, which is necessary for axon growth in that nematode...
- FEZ1 interacts with CLASP2 and NEK1 through coiled-coil regions and their cellular colocalization suggests centrosomal functions and regulation by PKCDaniel C F Lanza
Centro de Biologia Molecular Estrutural, Associação Brasileira de Tecnologia de Luz Síncrotron, Rua giuseppe maximo scolfaro, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Mol Cell Biochem 338:35-45. 2010b>FEZ1 was initially described as a neuronal protein that influences axonal development and cell polarization...
- Human FEZ1 protein forms a disulfide bond mediated dimer: implications for cargo transportM R Alborghetti
Laboratório Nacional de Biociências, Centro Nacional de Pesquisa em Energia e Materiais, Campinas SP, Brazil
J Proteome Res 9:4595-603. 2010The human proteins FEZ1 (fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1) and FEZ2 are orthologs of the protein UNC-76 from C. elegans, involved in the growth and fasciculation of the worms axon...
- FEZ2 has acquired additional protein interaction partners relative to FEZ1: functional and evolutionary implicationsMarcos R Alborghetti
Laboratório Nacional de Biociências, Centro Nacional de Pesquisa em Energia e Materiais, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brasil
PLoS ONE 6:e17426. 2011..elegans unc-76. Similar human sequences were identified in the expressed sequence tag database as FEZ1 and FEZ2. The unc-76 function is necessary for normal axon fasciculation and is required for axon-axon interactions...
- Identification of FEZ1 as a protein that interacts with JC virus agnoprotein and microtubules: role of agnoprotein-induced dissociation of FEZ1 from microtubules in viral propagationTadaki Suzuki
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, School of Medicine, Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Sapporo, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:24948-56. 2005..We have now identified fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1 (FEZ1) as a protein that interacted with JCV agnoprotein in a yeast two-hybrid screen of a ..
- Four mood stabilizers commonly induce FEZ1 expression in human astrocytesZhiqian Yu
Department of Biological Psychiatry, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Bipolar Disord 13:486-99. 2011..The present study identifies a common underlying response to mood stabilizers in astrocytes...
- Phosphorylation-regulated axonal dependent transport of syntaxin 1 is mediated by a Kinesin-1 adapterJohn Jia En Chua
Department of Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:5862-7. 2012..vesicle exocytosis at the presynaptic plasma membrane, to the motor protein Kinesin-1 via the kinesin adaptor FEZ1. Mutation of the FEZ1 ortholog UNC-76 in Caenorhabditis elegans causes defects in the axonal transport of Stx...
- Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1, a candidate gene for schizophrenia, participates in neurite outgrowthK Miyoshi
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
Mol Psychiatry 8:685-94. 2003..Here, we demonstrated the existence of DISC1 protein and identified fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) as an interacting partner of DISC1 by a yeast two-hybrid study...
- Mammalian homologue of the Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-76 protein involved in axonal outgrowth is a protein kinase C zeta-interacting proteinS Kuroda
Department of Structural Molecular Biology, Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Ibaraki, Osaka, 567 0047, Japan
J Cell Biol 144:403-11. 1999..The protein designated FEZ1 (fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1) consisting of 393 amino acid residues shows a high Asp/Glu content ..
- The Caenorhabditis elegans gene unc-76 and its human homologs define a new gene family involved in axonal outgrowth and fasciculationL Bloom
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:3414-9. 1997....
- NBR1 interacts with fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) and calcium and integrin binding protein (CIB) and shows developmentally restricted expression in the neural tubeCaroline Whitehouse
Division of Medical and Molecular Genetics, and Department of Craniofacial Development, GKT School of Medicine, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Biochem 269:538-45. 2002..Here, we show that NBR1 interacts with two proteins; fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1), a PKCzeta interacting protein, and calcium and integrin binding protein (CIB), which is associated with polo-like ..
- Essential role for the Prader-Willi syndrome protein necdin in axonal outgrowthSyann Lee
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 14:627-37. 2005..We demonstrate that necdin and Magel2 bind to and prevent proteasomal degradation of Fez1, a fasciculation and elongation protein implicated in axonal outgrowth and kinesin-mediated transport, and also ..
- The kinesin-associated protein UNC-76 is required for axonal transport in the Drosophila nervous systemJoseph G Gindhart
Biology Department, University of Massachusetts, Boston, Massachusetts 02125, USA
Mol Biol Cell 14:3356-65. 2003..Given the interaction of FEZ1, the mammalian homolog of UNC-76, with protein kinase Czeta, and the role of FEZ1 in axon outgrowth, we propose ..
- FEZ1/LZTS1 protein expression in ovarian cancerDaniela Califano
Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Napoli, Italy
J Cell Physiol 222:382-6. 2010The FEZ1/LZTS1 (FEZ1) gene maps to chromosome 8p22 and is frequently altered in human cancer. FEZ1 has been proposed as a candidate tumour suppressor gene and its loss may contribute to tumour progression...
- Down-regulation of tumor suppressor gene FEZ1/LZTS1 in breast carcinoma involves promoter methylation and associates with metastasisLing Chen
Department of Breast Cancer Pathology, Key Laboratory of Breast Cancer Research, Cancer Hospital of Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin 300060, China
Breast Cancer Res Treat 116:471-8. 2009b>FEZ1/LZTS1 is a tumor suppressor gene located in chromosomal band 8p22, and methylation has been identified as a mechanism for its loss of function in tumors. Chromosomal deletion at 8p22 is also frequent in breast cancer...
- Collecting duct carcinoma of the kidney: an immunohistochemical study of 11 casesAndrea Vecchione
Department of Urology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, 1025 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, USA
BMC Urol 4:11. 2004..In order to gain an insight into the biology of this tumor we evaluated the expression of five genes involved in the development of renal cancer (FEZ1/LZTS1, FHIT, TP53, P27kip1, and BCL2).
- PSD-Zip70 Deficiency Causes Prefrontal Hypofunction Associated with Glutamatergic Synapse Maturation Defects by Dysregulation of Rap2 ActivityTaira Mayanagi
Department of Neuroscience, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medicine, Iwate Medical University, 2 1 1 Yahaba, Shiwa 028 3694, Japan, and
J Neurosci 35:14327-40. 2015..PSD-Zip70 (Lzts1/FEZ1) is a postsynaptic density (PSD) protein predominantly expressed in the frontal cortex, olfactory bulb, striatum, ..
- Regulatory network of differentially expressed genes in metastatic osteosarcomaPeng Yao
Department of Pain Management, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning 110004, P R China
Mol Med Rep 11:2104-10. 2015..smoothened (SMO), ewing sarcoma breakpoint region 1 (EWSR1) and fasciculation and elongation protein ζ‑1 (FEZ1)...
- Expression of DISC1-interactome members correlates with cognitive phenotypes related to schizophreniaAntonio Rampino
Medical Genetics Section, Centre for Genomic and Experimental Medicine, Medical Research Council Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom Department of Neuroscience and Sense Organs, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e99892. 2014..Finally, the expression levels of DISC1, AKAP9, FEZ1, NDEL1 and PCM1 were compared between 63 controls and 69 schizophrenic subjects...
- Schizophrenia susceptibility genes directly implicated in the life cycles of pathogens: cytomegalovirus, influenza, herpes simplex, rubella, and Toxoplasma gondiiC J Carter
176 Downs Road, Hastings, East Sussex, TN34 2DZ, UK
Schizophr Bull 35:1163-82. 2009..Other viral or bacterial components bind to genes or proteins encoded by CALR, FEZ1, FYN, HSPA1B, IL2, HTR2A, KPNA3, MED12, MED15, MICB, NQO2, PAX6, PIK3C3, RANBP5, or TP53, while the cerebral ..
- Emerging From the Unknown: Structural and Functional Features of Agnoprotein of PolyomavirusesA Sami Saribas
Department of Neuroscience, Laboratory of Molecular Neurovirology, MERB 757, Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
J Cell Physiol 231:2115-27. 2016..It associates with cellular proteins, including YB-1, p53, Ku70, FEZ1, HP1α, PP2A, AP-3, PCNA, and α-SNAP; and viral proteins, including small t antigen, large T antigen, HIV-1 Tat, ..
- Expression of fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) in cultured rat neonatal astrocytesJianghong He
Cytoneurobiology Unit and Laboratory of Aging and Nervous Diseases, Medical College of Soochow University, 199 Ren Ai Road, Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou, JS, 215123, People s Republic of China
Mol Cell Biochem 325:159-67. 2009..The fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) gene was studied further because it has been suggested that it is not expressed by astrocytes...
- Association between genes of Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) interactors and schizophrenia supports the role of the DISC1 pathway in the etiology of major mental illnessesLiisa Tomppo
Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland FIMM and National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Biol Psychiatry 65:1055-62. 2009..Because both DISC1 and NDE1 display association in our study sample, we hypothesized that other genes interacting with DISC1 might also have a role in the etiology of schizophrenia...
- Exposure to cypermethrin and mancozeb alters the expression profile of THBS1, SPP1, FEZ1 and GPNMB in human peripheral blood mononuclear cellsRajesh Mandarapu
a Prakhya Research Laboratories, Selaiyur, Chennai, India
J Immunotoxicol 13:463-73. 2016..Further studies are needed to better understand the functional significance of these in vitro findings. ..
- HIV-1 capsids bind and exploit the kinesin-1 adaptor FEZ1 for inward movement to the nucleusViacheslav Malikov
1 Department of Microbiology Immunology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA 2 Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Commun 6:6660. 2015..virus type 1 (HIV-1) associates with the kinesin-1 adaptor protein, Fasiculation and Elongation Factor zeta 1 (FEZ1)...
- Dendrite development regulated by the schizophrenia-associated gene FEZ1 involves the ubiquitin proteasome systemYasuhito Watanabe
Department of Clinical Neurobiology at the German Cancer Research Center DKFZ and the Medical Faculty of Heidelberg University, Heidelberg 69120, Germany
Cell Rep 7:552-64. 2014Downregulation of the schizophrenia-associated gene DISC1 and its interacting protein FEZ1 positively regulates dendrite growth in young neurons...
- The tumor-suppressor gene LZTS1 suppresses colorectal cancer proliferation through inhibition of the AKT-mTOR signaling pathwayWei Zhou
Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Gastroenterology, Department of Gastroenterology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Cancer Lett 360:68-75. 2015The Leucine zipper tumor suppressor gene 1 (LZTS1/FEZ1) gene was originally identified as a potential tumor suppressor...
- Molecular basis of major psychiatric diseases such as schizophrenia and depressionMasaya Tohyama
Osaka Prefectural Hospital Organization, Osaka, 558 8558, Japan
Anat Sci Int 90:137-43. 2015..development directly via adhesion molecules or via its binding partners of DISC1 such as elongation protein ζ-1 (FEZ1), DISC1-binding zinc-finger protein (DBZ) and kendrin...
- RAB3GAP1 and RAB3GAP2 modulate basal and rapamycin-induced autophagyNatalie Spang
a Institute for Pathobiochemistry University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
Autophagy 10:2297-309. 2014..Moreover, we analyzed RAB3GAP1/2 in relation to the previously reported suppressive autophagy modulators FEZ1 and FEZ2 and demonstrate that both reciprocally regulate autophagy...
- Structural analysis of intermolecular interactions in the kinesin adaptor complex fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1/ short coiled-coil protein (FEZ1/SCOCO)Marcos Rodrigo Alborghetti
Laboratório Nacional de Biociências LNBio, Centro Nacional de Pesquisa em Energia e Materiais CNPEM, Campinas, SP, Brasil
PLoS ONE 8:e76602. 2013..The human protein FEZ1 (fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1 / UNC-76, in C. elegans), SCOCO (short coiled-coil protein / UNC-69) and kinesins (e.g...
- Interactions of human truncated DISC1 proteins: implications for schizophreniaE N Newburn
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, National Institutes of Mental Health, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1385, USA
Transl Psychiatry 1:e30. 2011..HEK293) cells were transiently co-transfected with human epitope-tagged DISC1 variants and epitope-tagged NDEL1, FEZ1, GSK3β and PDE4B constructs...
- Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) expression in reactive astrocytes in a rat model of Parkinson's diseaseY Y Sun
Cytoneurobiology Unit and Department of Anatomy, Medical College of Soochow University, Suzhou, China
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 40:164-76. 2014Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) is a critical regulator of dopaminergic neurone differentiation and dopamine release...
- Copy Number Variations in DISC1 and DISC1-Interacting Partners in Major Mental IllnessMandy Johnstone
Division of Psychiatry, University of Edinburgh, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh, UK Medical Genetics, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Mol Neuropsychiatry 1:175-190. 2015..In this study, CNV analysis of DISC1 and its binding partners PAFAH1B1, NDE1, NDEL1, FEZ1, MAP1A, CIT and PDE4B in Scottish and Northern Swedish population-based samples was carried out using ..
- FEZ1/LZTS1 is down-regulated in high-grade bladder cancer, and its restoration suppresses tumorigenicity in transitional cell carcinoma cellsAndrea Vecchione
Department of Urology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Pathol 160:1345-52. 2002b>FEZ1/LZTS1 is a tumor suppressor gene that maps to chromosome 8p22, a chromosomal region frequently deleted in many human malignancies, including transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the urinary bladder...
- Differential expression of FEZ1/LZTS1 gene in lung cancers and their cell culturesShinichi Toyooka
Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8593, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2292-7. 2002The FEZ1/LZTS1 (FEZ1) gene, located on chromosome 8p22 (8p22), was identified recently as a candidate tumor suppressor gene...
- Reduced FEZ1/LZTS1 expression and outcome prediction in lung cancerDaisuke Nonaka
Department of Pathology, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Cancer Res 65:1207-12. 2005..The FEZ1/LZTS1 gene, located at 8p22, is inactivated in many cancers with 8p deletions, including prostate, esophageal, ..
- Crystal structure of the human short coiled coil protein and insights into SCOC-FEZ1 complex formationCaroline Behrens
Department of Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e76355. 2013The short coiled coil protein (SCOC) forms a complex with fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1 (FEZ1). This complex is involved in autophagy regulation...
- A comprehensive family-based replication study of schizophrenia genesKarolina A Aberg
Center for Biomarker Research and Personalized Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298, USA
JAMA Psychiatry 70:573-81. 2013..Identifying the specific genetic variants and pathways that increase susceptibility to SCZ is critical to improve disease understanding and address the urgent need for new drug targets...
- Genome-wide siRNA screen reveals amino acid starvation-induced autophagy requires SCOC and WACNicole C McKnight
Secretory Pathways Laboratory, London Research Institute, Cancer Research UK, London, UK
EMBO J 31:1931-46. 2012..formation are SCOC (short coiled-coil protein), a Golgi protein, which interacts with fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1 (FEZ1), an ULK1-binding protein...
- Jarid2 is among a set of genes differentially regulated by Nkx2.5 during outflow tract morphogenesisJeremy L Barth
Regenerative Medicine and Cell Biology Department, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Dev Dyn 239:2024-33. 2010..Here, we define a set of genes (Lrrn1, Elovl2, Safb, Slc39a6, Khdrbs1, Hoxb4, Fez1, Ccdc117, Jarid2, Nrcam, and Enpp3) expressed in SHF containing pharyngeal arch tissue whose regulation is ..
- Gender-dependent differences in the incidence of ochratoxin A-induced neural tube defects in the Pdn/Pdn mouseEtsuko Ueta
Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 50:29-39. 2010..in the male OTA-treated Pdn/Pdn might be due to the complicated altered gene expressions among Gli3, Wnt7b, Wnt8b, Fez1, Barx1, Lim1, Dmrt1, Igf1, Fog2, Dax1 and Sox9, and in particular, upregulation and gender-dependent difference in ..
- Functions of fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) in the brainAndrés D Maturana
Department of Bioengineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, Niigata, Japan
ScientificWorldJournal 10:1646-54. 2010Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) is a mammalian ortholog of the Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-76 protein that possesses four coiled-coil domains and a nuclear localization signal. It is mainly expressed in the brain...
- Mutation analysis of the 8p candidate tumour suppressor genes DBC2 (RHOBTB2) and LZTS1 in bladder cancerMargaret A Knowles
Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Cancer Lett 225:121-30. 2005..One of the regions of loss of heterozygosity (LOH) on 8p22 identified in bladder cancer contains two genes, LZTS1 (FEZ1) and DBC2 (RHOBTB2) that have been shown to be mutated at low frequency in other cancers...
- Overexpression of fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) induces a post-entry block to retroviruses in cultured cellsMojgan H Naghavi
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Genes Dev 19:1105-15. 2005..One of the candidate gene products, FEZ1 (fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1), a protein kinase C (PKC)zeta-interacting protein homologous to the ..
- DISC1 regulates synaptic vesicle transport via a lithium-sensitive pathwayRafael Flores
Department of Neurosciences, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, 1500 E Duarte Rd, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Neurosci Res 71:71-7. 2011..version of DISC1 causes defective vesicle transport, by disrupting the assembly between the kinesin-1 adaptor FEZ1 and the cargo protein Synaptotagmin-1 (Syt-1)...
- Subcellular targeting of DISC1 is dependent on a domain independent from the Nudel binding siteN J Brandon
Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Labs, The Neuroscience Research Centre, Terlings Park, Harlow, Essex CM20 2QR, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 28:613-24. 2005..that DISC1 plays a role in neuronal outgrowth, possibly through reported interactions with the molecules Nudel and FEZ1. Here we have analyzed the DISC1 protein sequence to identify previously unknown regions that are important for the ..
- Interaction between FEZ1 and DISC1 in regulation of neuronal development and risk for schizophreniaEunchai Kang
Institute for Cell Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuron 72:559-71. 2011..Here, we show that Fasciculation and Elongation Protein Zeta-1 (FEZ1) interacts with DISC1 to synergistically regulate dendritic growth of newborn neurons in the adult mouse ..
- Fez1 is layer-specifically expressed in the adult mouse neocortexKiyoshi Inoue
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 20:2909-16. 2004..microarrays, combined with systematic in situ hybridization, we identified a zinc-finger type transcription factor, Fez1, which is expressed predominantly in the mouse adult neocortex...
- Association analysis of FEZ1 variants with schizophrenia in Japanese cohortsKazuo Yamada
RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Laboratory for Molecular Psychiatry, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Biol Psychiatry 56:683-90. 2004DISC1 has been suggested as a causative gene for psychoses in a large Scottish family. We recently identified FEZ1 as an interacting partner for DISC1...
- Expression of fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) in the developing rat brainAkiko Honda
Department of Brain Science, Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama University, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 122:89-92. 2004Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) is a mammalian homologue of the Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-76 protein involved in axonal outgrowth and fasciculation...
- Identification of a tissue-non-specific homologue of axonal fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1Toshitsugu Fujita
Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 313:738-44. 2004Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) is a mammalian orthologue of the Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-76 protein involved in the axonal outgrowth and fasciculation and promotes neurite extension of PC12 cells through interaction ..
- Identification of proteins that interact with the central coiled-coil region of the human protein kinase NEK1Marcelo J Surpili
Centro de Biologia Molecular Estrutural CEBIME, Laboratorio Nacional de Luz Sincrotron LNLS, Rua Giuseppe Máximo Scolfaro 10 000, CP 6192, 13084 971 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Biochemistry 42:15369-76. 2003..Our results give further support to the previous observation that NEK1 is of functional importance for the etiology of PKD...
- Down-regulation of FEZ1/LZTS1 gene with frequent loss of heterozygosity in oral squamous cell carcinomasKanae Ono
Department of Clinical Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Int J Oncol 23:297-302. 2003..The possible involvement of FEZ1/LZTS1 (FEZ1) gene, a candidate tumor suppressor gene, mapped at 8p22, was also evaluated...
- The postsynaptic density and dendritic raft localization of PSD-Zip70, which contains an N-myristoylation sequence and leucine-zipper motifsDaijiro Konno
Department of Neuroscience D13, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Cell Sci 115:4695-706. 2002..This protein, named PSD-Zip70, is highly homologous to the human FEZ1/LZTS1 gene product...
- LAPSER1: a novel candidate tumor suppressor gene from 10q24.3Y Cabeza-Arvelaiz
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 20:6707-17. 2001..Recently, we showed that LZTS1 (or FEZ1), a putative TSG located on 8p22, has the potential to function as a cell growth modulator...
- FEZ1/LZTS1 gene at 8p22 suppresses cancer cell growth and regulates mitosisH Ishii
Kimmel Cancer Center, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, 233 South 10th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 5799, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:10374-9. 2001The FEZ1/LZTS1 gene maps to chromosome 8p22, a region that is frequently deleted in human tumors. Alterations in FEZ1/LZTS1 expression have been observed in esophageal, breast, and prostate cancers...
- Functional identification of LZTS1 as a candidate prostate tumor suppressor gene on human chromosome 8p22Y Cabeza-Arvelaiz
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 20:4169-79. 2001..2 cells. Database searches for genes mapped to the critical region identified a gene known as FEZ1 (LZTS1) as a potential candidate suppressor gene...
- mRNA expression of membrane-fusion-related proteins in rat parotid glandA Imai
Department of Oral Biochemistry, School of Dentistry at Niigata, The Nippon Dental University, 1 8 Hamaura cho, Niigata 951 8580, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 46:955-62. 2001..Synaptotagmins 3, 4 and 11, Munc18s (1, 2 and 3), syncollin, prenylated Rab acceptor (PRA1), zygin 1, pantophysin and cellugyrin, which are the other membrane-fusion-related proteins, were also detected, but ..
- The FEZ1 gene at chromosome 8p22 encodes a leucine-zipper protein, and its expression is altered in multiple human tumorsH Ishii
Kimmel Cancer Institute, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:3928-33. 1999..cDNA selection allowed isolation of several genes, including FEZ1. The predicted Fez1 protein contained a leucine-zipper region with similarity to the DNA-binding domain of the cAMP-..
- Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) participates in the polarization of hippocampal neuron by controlling the mitochondrial motilityJunko Ikuta
Department of Structural Molecular Biology, Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 353:127-32. 2007The fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1), a mammalian orthologue of Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-76 protein, is a 45-kDa protein with four coiled-coiled domains and efficiently promotes the neurite elongation in the rat ..
- Role of DISC1 in neural development and schizophreniaShaun Mackie
Medical Genetics Section, University of Edinburgh Centre for Molecular Medicine, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK
Curr Opin Neurobiol 17:95-102. 2007..the well-established genetic risk factor DISC1 plays an important role in schizophrenia biology by interacting with FEZ1 and NDEL1 during neurodevelopment and with the phosphodiesterase PDE4B in neuronal cell signalling...
- [Recent research on the JC virus]Hirofumi Sawa
Department of Molecular Pathobiology, Hokkaido University Research Center for Zoonosis Control, Nishi 9, Kita 18, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 0818, Japan
No To Shinkei 59:101-8. 2007..Second, a yeast two-hybrid screen of a human brain cDNA library demonstrated that the fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1 (FEZ1) and the heterochromatin protein lalpha (HPla) are proteins that interacted with JCV ..
- Association analysis of ATF4 and ATF5, genes for interacting-proteins of DISC1, in bipolar disorderChihiro Kakiuchi
Laboratory for Molecular Dynamics of Mental Disorders, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Neurosci Lett 417:316-21. 2007..As interacting-proteins with DISC1, Nudel, ATF4, ATF5, LIS1, alpha-tubulin, PDE4B, eIF3, FEZ1, Kendrin, MAP1A and MIPT3 were identified...
- Fez1/Lzts1 absence impairs Cdk1/Cdc25C interaction during mitosis and predisposes mice to cancer developmentAndrea Vecchione
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics and Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cancer Cell 11:275-89. 2007The FEZ1/LZTS1 (LZTS1) protein is frequently downregulated in human cancers of different histotypes...
- Failure to confirm the association between the FEZ1 gene and schizophrenia in a Japanese populationMinori Koga
Department of Medical Genetics, Doctoral Program in Social and Environmental Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Neurosci Lett 417:326-9. 2007Fasciculation and elongation of protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) is a binding partner of Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1)...
- [Recent research on the JC virus]Hirofumi Sawa
Department of Molecular Pathobiology, Hokkaido University Research Center for Zoonosis Control, Nishi 9, Kita 18, Kita ku, Sapporo, Japan
Brain Nerve 59:101-8. 2007..Second, a yeast two-hybrid screen of a human brain cDNA library demonstrated that the fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1 (FEZ1) and the heterochromatin protein 1alpha (HP1alpha) are proteins that interacted with JCV ..
- Frequent loss of heterozygosity at 8p22 chromosomal region in diffuse type of gastric cancerHedayat Allah Hosseini
Biochemistry Department, Ahwaz Jondishapoor University of Medical Science, Ahwaz, Iran
World J Gastroenterol 13:3354-8. 2007..To study the loss of heterozygosity (LOH) at 8p21-23 locus in diffuse gastric cancer...
- Molecular mechanism of schizophrenia with reference to disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1)Shinsuke Matsuzaki
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Neurochem Int 51:165-72. 2007..to the translocation breakpoint in the DISC1 gene, was performed and fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (Fez1), a novel DISC1-interacting protein, termed DISC1-binding zinc-finger protein (DBZ) and Kendrin were identified...
- Axonal guidance protein FEZ1 associates with tubulin and kinesin motor protein to transport mitochondria in neurites of NGF-stimulated PC12 cellsToshitsugu Fujita
Department of Structural Molecular Biology, Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 361:605-10. 2007Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) promotes efficiently the neurite elongation of rat phaeochromocytoma PC12 cells. We here characterized FEZ1 in PC12 cells...
- Fez1/Lzts1 a new mitotic regulator implicated in cancer developmentAndrea Vecchione
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics and Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, OH, USA
Cell Div 2:24. 2007..Recently we identified a new player: FEZ1/LZTS1 that contributes to the fine-tuning of the molecular events that determine progression through mitosis, and ..
- Take your "M" timeGustavo Baldassarre
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano, Italy
Cell Cycle 6:2087-90. 2007..During the M-phase, the activity of Cdc25C is regulated by the FEZ1/LZTS1 (LZTS1) tumor suppressor gene, which is able to prevent Cdc25C degradation in mitotic cells...
- "JIP"ing along the axon: the complex roles of JIPs in axonal transportSandhya P Koushika
NCBS TIFR, Bellary Road, Bangalore 560065, India
Bioessays 30:10-4. 2008..1 In mammalian cell culture, JIP1 is necessary and, together with UNC-76/FEZ1, sufficient for activating Kinesin-I...
- Fez1/Lzts1-deficient mice are more susceptible to N-butyl-N-(4-hydroxybutil) nitrosamine (BBN) carcinogenesisRaffaele Baffa
Department of Urology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Carcinogenesis 29:846-8. 2008b>FEZ1/LZTS1 is a tumor suppressor gene that is frequently altered in human cancers of different histotypes...
- Jump-starting kinesinDavid D Hackney
Department of Biological Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Cell Biol 176:7-9. 2007..protein 1 (JIP1) to the light chains (LCs) or binding of fasciculation and elongation protein zeta1 (FEZ1) to the heavy chains (HCs) is insufficient for activation but that activation occurs when both are present ..
- Age-related changes in the expression of schizophrenia susceptibility genes in the human prefrontal cortexCarlo Colantuoni
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Genes Cognition and Psychosis Program, IRP, NIMH, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Brain Struct Funct 213:255-71. 2008..Expression of FEZ1, GAD1, and RGS4 showed especially high correlation with one another, in addition to the strongest mean levels of ..
- Functional genomics in postmortem human brain: abnormalities in a DISC1 molecular pathway in schizophreniaBarbara K Lipska
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 8:353-7. 2006..its molecular partners (nuclear distribution element-like [NUDEL], fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-i [FEZ1], and lissencephaly 1 [LIS1]) may underlie its pathogenic role in schizophrenia and explain its genetic association...
- Kinesin tail domains and Mg2+ directly inhibit release of ADP from head domains in the absence of microtubulesDavid D Hackney
Department of Biological Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Biochemistry 47:7770-8. 2008..Inhibition of release of ADP by tail domains is reversed by Unc-76 (FEZ1) which is a potential regulator of kinesin-1...
- The FEZ1 gene shows no association to schizophrenia in Caucasian or African American populationsColin A Hodgkinson
Section of Human Neurogenetics, Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, MD, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:190-6. 2007..The DISC1 protein interacts with a variety of proteins including FEZ1, the mammalian homolog of the Caenorhabditis elegans unc-76 protein, which is involved in axonal outgrowth...
- Mice lacking the schizophrenia-associated protein FEZ1 manifest hyperactivity and enhanced responsiveness to psychostimulantsNobutaka Sakae
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 2 2 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Hum Mol Genet 17:3191-203. 2008FEZ1 (fasciculation and elongation protein zeta 1), a mammalian ortholog of Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-76, interacts with DISC1 (disrupted in schizophrenia 1), a schizophrenia susceptibility gene product, and polymorphisms of human FEZ1 ..
- Molecular genetics of bladder cancer: targets for diagnosis and therapyR Baffa
Department of Urology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 25:145-60. 2006..H-ras, erbB-2, EGFR, MDM2, C-MYC, CCND1), tumor suppressor genes (p53, Rb, p21, p27/KIP1, p16, PTEN, STK15, FHIT, FEZ1/LZTS1, bc10), telomerase, and methylation have all been studied in bladder cancer...
- Towards the classification of subpopulations of layer V pyramidal projection neuronsZoltan Molnar
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Le Gros Clark Building, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QX, UK
Neurosci Res 55:105-15. 2006..Neuron 45 (2), 207-221]; Fez1 [Molyneaux, B.J., Arlotta, P., Hirata, T., Hibi, M., Macklis, J.D., 2005...
- ProSAP-interacting protein 1 (ProSAPiP1), a novel protein of the postsynaptic density that links the spine-associated Rap-Gap (SPAR) to the scaffolding protein ProSAP2/Shank3Doreen Wendholt
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Ulm University, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:13805-16. 2006..Both molecules code for a Fez1 domain that can be found in a total of four related proteins...
- Genetic association and post-mortem brain mRNA analysis of DISC1 and related genes in schizophreniaAnjali Rastogi
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Schizophr Res 114:39-49. 2009..families; N=210 case-control pairs), testing polymorphisms across DISC1 and DISC1 interacting genes: LIS1, NUDEL, FEZ1 and PDE4B...
- The brain-specific factor FEZ1 is a determinant of neuronal susceptibility to HIV-1 infectionJuliane Haedicke
Centre for Research in Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine and Medical Science, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14040-5. 2009..chemically mutagenized and selected for resistance to retroviral infection, we recently identified induction of rat FEZ1 (fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1), a brain-specific protein, as the cause of this resistance...
- Expression of DISC1 binding partners is reduced in schizophrenia and associated with DISC1 SNPsBarbara K Lipska
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:1245-58. 2006..with binding partners involved in neuronal differentiation such as fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1), platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase, isoform Ib, PAFAH1B1 or lissencephaly 1 protein (LIS1) and nuclear ..
- In silico characterization of LZTS3, a potential tumor suppressorAndreas Teufel
Department of Medicine I, Johannes Gutenberg University, Building 301, Langenbeckstr 1, 55101 Mainz, Germany
Oncol Rep 14:547-51. 2005..The novel LZTS3 protein demonstrated a high similarity to LAPSER1/LZTS2 and FEZ1/LZTS1, two members of the LZTS family...
- MOJGAN HOSSEINI NAGHAVI; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our recent work has identified a neuronal protein, FEZ1 that localizes to the MTOC and suppress infection by a number of retroviruses, including HIV-1, by blocking the ..
- MECHANISM OF KINESIN ATPASEDavid Hackney; Fiscal Year: 2002..These enzymatic studies will be coupled with study of the motility that kinesin is able to produce. A long range goal is to be able to model the physical properties of kinesin based on its solution biochemical mechanism, ..
- ARP--GENE TARGET OF THE ALL1 GENE IN ACUTE LEUKEMIASCarlo Croce; Fiscal Year: 2002..Acute lymphoblastic and acute myelogenous leukemias will be investigated for the expression, rearrangements and mutations of ALL-1 target genes. ..
- 8P22 ALTERATIONS, IN PROSTATE, BREAST AND ESOPHAGEAL CACarlo Croce; Fiscal Year: 2004..of these genes for mutations and/or altered expression in human epithelial cancers indicated that one of them, Fez1, is altered in epithelial tumors...
- ALL Fusion Proteins: Associated with Multi-protein Complexes and Role in TranscriCarlo M Croce; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- FHIT Gene Therapy in Cancer Prevention and TreatmentCarlo M Croce; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..