Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: FADS3
Description: fatty acid desaturase 3
Alias: CYB5RP, LLCDL3, fatty acid desaturase 3, cytochrome b5-related protein, delta-9 fatty acid desaturase, delta-9-desaturase, linoleoyl-CoA desaturase (delta-9-desaturase)-like 3
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- cDNA cloning, genomic structure, and chromosomal localization of three members of the human fatty acid desaturase familyA Marquardt
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, 97074, Germany
Genomics 66:175-83. 2000..A third member, fatty acid desaturase-3 (FADS3), was identified in silico revealing 62 and 70% nucleotide sequence identity with FADS1 and FADS2, respectively...
- Genome-wide association study of plasma polyunsaturated fatty acids in the InCHIANTI StudyToshiko Tanaka
MedStar Research Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000338. 2009..for association was observed in a region of chromosome 11 that encodes three fatty acid desaturases (FADS1, FADS2, FADS3)...
- Fatty acid composition of milk from multiparous Holstein cows treated with bovine somatotropin and fed n-3 fatty acids in early lactationM Carriquiry
Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108 6118, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:4865-75. 2009..10, 0.09, 0.08, and 0.09 +/- 0.01 for SSN, SSY, AFN, and AFY, respectively). Feeding Alifet-Repro increased n-3 fatty acids in milk and bST prolonged the partitioning of dietary fatty acids into milk fat...
- Fatty acid profile of erythrocyte membranes as possible biomarker of longevityAnnibale A Puca
IRCCS Policlinico Multimedica, Milan, Italy
Rejuvenation Res 11:63-72. 2008..We concluded that erythrocyte membranes derived from nonagenarian offspring have a different lipid composition (reduced lipid peroxidation and increased membrane integrity) to that of the general population...
- Juvenile neuronal ceroid-lipofuscinosis (Batten disease): a brief review and updateDinesh Rakheja
Department of Pathology, UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children s Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Curr Mol Med 7:603-8. 2007..In this review, following an introduction to the neuronal ceroid-lipofuscinoses, we provide a brief overview and an update of the most recent research in JNCL, specifically that related to the function of CLN3P...
- Transplastomic tobacco plants expressing a fatty acid desaturase gene exhibit altered fatty acid profiles and improved cold toleranceWendy Craig
CNR IGV, Institute of Plant Genetics Portici, Portici, NA, Italy
Transgenic Res 17:769-82. 2008..In fact, the transplastomic plants expressing the S. commersonii gene contain only plant-derived sequences, a clear attraction from a public acceptability perspective...
- Effect of plant oils in the diet on performance and milk fatty acid composition in goats fed diets based on grass hay or maize silageLaurence Bernard
INRA, UR1213 Herbivores, Equipe Tissu Adipeux et Lipides du Lait, Site de Theix, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Br J Nutr 101:213-24. 2009..In conclusion, plant oils represent an effective strategy for altering the fatty acid composition of caprine milk, with evidence that the basal diet is an important determinant of ruminal unsaturated fatty acid metabolism in the goat...
- Changes in membrane fluid state and heat shock response cause attenuation of virulenceAmalia Porta
University of Salerno, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Biomedicine, Salerno, Italy
J Bacteriol 192:1999-2005. 2010..This new procedure to generate attenuated forms of pathogens may be used eventually to produce a novel class of vaccines based on the genetic manipulation of a pathogen's membrane fluid state and stress response...
- Changes in conjugated linoleic acid and palmitoleic acid are correlated to retinol levels in chronic renal failure in both hemodialysis and conservative treatment patientsLeonardo Lucchi
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation, University Hospital Modena, Modena, Italy
Artif Organs 29:413-8. 2005..The influence of retinol levels on these fatty acids might be due to an induction of delta 9 desaturase. In fact, 16:1 is known to be produced, partly, by delta 9 desaturation of palmitic acid...
- Fetal bovine serum concentration affects delta9 desaturase activity of Trypanosoma cruziAna L Villasuso
Departamento de Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Fisico Quimicas y Naturales, Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto, CPX5804BYA, Rio Cuarto, Cordoba, Argentina
Lipids 45:275-83. 2010..The results suggest that decreased FBS in culture medium is a signal that modulates (9) desaturase activity in T. cruzi epimastigotes...
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase and its relation to high-carbohydrate diets and obesityMatthew T Flowers
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1791:85-91. 2009..In this review, we address the association of high-carbohydrate diets with increased SCD activity and summarize the current literature on the subject of SCD1 and body weight regulation...
- Eight histidine residues are catalytically essential in a membrane-associated iron enzyme, stearoyl-CoA desaturase, and are conserved in alkane hydroxylase and xylene monooxygenaseJ Shanklin
Department of Biology, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973
Biochemistry 33:12787-94. 1994..to examine the functional role of these conserved His residues, we have made use of the ability of the rat delta 9 desaturase gene to complement a yeast strain deficient in the delta 9 desaturase gene function (ole1)...
- Temperature-regulated mRNA accumulation and stabilization for fatty acid desaturase genes in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7002T Sakamoto
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Mol Microbiol 23:1281-92. 1997..The desB (omega 3 desaturase) and desC (delta 9 desaturase) genes of Synechococcus sp...
- Delta-9 fatty acid desaturase gene containing a carboxyl-terminal cytochrome b5 domain from the red alga Cyanidioschyzon merolaeR Itoh
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Hongo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Curr Genet 33:165-70. 1998..The discovery of CmFAD9 indicates the existence of a novel type of plant delta-9 fatty acid desaturase that may function in the endoplasmic reticulum, but not in the plastid...
- Nuclear factor 1 is essential for the expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene during preadipocyte differentiationM V Singh
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison 53706, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1398:148-56. 1998Stearoyl CoA desaturase gene 1 (SCD1) is a delta 9 desaturase that is transcriptionally activated during the differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes into adipocytes...
- Bioconversion of vaccenic acid to conjugated linoleic acid in humansAnu M Turpeinen
Department of Applied Chemistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 76:504-10. 2002..There are indications that this conversion also occurs in humans...
- A desaturase-like protein from white spruce is a Delta(9) desaturaseElizabeth France Marillia
National Research Council of Canada, Plant Biotechnology Institute, Seed Oil Biotechnology Group, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 0W9
FEBS Lett 526:49-52. 2002..This is the first report of the functional characterization of a plant membrane-bound acyl-CoA-like protein Delta(9) desaturase by heterologous expression in yeast...
- Desaturation of myristoyl-CoA to myristoleoyl-CoA by hen liver microsomal delta(9)-desaturaseAziz C Awad
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1224, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:4234-9. 2004..On the basis of these data, it was concluded that 9,10-desaturation of acyl-CoA derivatives containing 14-18 carbon fatty acyl chains is catalyzed by the same enzyme...
- Reactions of the diiron enzyme stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturaseBrian G Fox
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Acc Chem Res 37:421-9. 2004..For soluble Delta9D, the natural reaction may initiate at the C-10 position, in contrast to the well-established initial reactivity of the membrane enzyme homologue stearoyl-coenzyme A (CoA) Delta(9) desaturase at the C-9 position...
- Characterization of NO adducts of the diiron center in protein R2 of Escherichia coli ribonucleotide reductase and site-directed variants; implications for the O2 activation mechanismShen Lu
Department of Environmental and Biomolecular Systems, OGI School of Science and Engineering, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, OR 97006 8921, USA
J Biol Inorg Chem 9:818-27. 2004..The formation of equivalent NO adducts in the wt and variant proteins strongly favors the formation of a symmetric bridging peroxo intermediate during the O(2) activation process in R2-wt...
- Effect of substrate on the diiron(III) site in stearoyl acyl carrier protein delta 9-desaturase as disclosed by cryoreduction electron paramagnetic resonance/electron nuclear double resonance spectroscopyRoman Davydov
Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois 60208 3113, USA
Biochemistry 44:1309-15. 2005..These structural alterations may provide DS with an additional mechanism for tuning the redox potential of the diferric site. The mixed-valence states of DS are unstable at temperatures above 230 K...
- Short communication: indigestible markers reduce the mammary Delta9-desaturase index and alter the milk fatty acid composition in cowsK J Shingfield
Animal Production Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, FIN 31600, Jokioinen, Finland
J Dairy Sci 89:3006-10. 2006..6, 52.7, 58.7, 36.8, 37.2, 44.3, and 43.0%, respectively. In conclusion, one or more of the markers administered altered milk fatty acid composition and may act as an inhibitor of Delta(9)-desaturase in the bovine mammary gland...
- Fine mapping of porcine SSC14 QTL and SCD gene effects on fatty acid composition and melting point of fat in a Duroc purebred populationY Uemoto
National Livestock Breeding Center, Nishigo, Fukushima, Japan
Anim Genet 43:225-8. 2012..These results indicate that the haplotype of the SCD gene has a strong effect on fatty acid composition and melting point of fat...
- Contributions of FASN and SCD gene polymorphisms on fatty acid composition in muscle from Japanese Black cattleS Yokota
Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Miyagi, 981 8555, Japan
Anim Genet 43:790-2. 2012..In addition, we found that gene polymorphism contributions of fatty acids varied by population even in the same breed...
- Genome-wide association study identifies three susceptibility loci for laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma in the Chinese populationQingyi Wei
1 Cancer Institute, Fudan University Shanghai Cancer Center, Shanghai, China 2 Department of Oncology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, China 3 Department of Epidemiology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA 4 5
Nat Genet 46:1110-4. 2014..77; P = 4.48 × 10(-14)), respectively. None of these variants showed an interaction with smoking or drinking. This is the first GWAS to our knowledge solely on LSCC, and the findings might advance understanding of the etiology of LSCC...
- Fatty acid composition of adipose tissue triglycerides in obese diabetic women after bariatric surgery: a 2-year follow upM Kunesova
Institute of Endocrinology, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 64:S155-66. 2015..Bariatric surgery led to significant changes in the fatty acid composition of subcutaneous adipose tissue in severely obese diabetic women after six months and two years, and was partly influenced by the type of surgery used...
- Hexadecenoic Fatty Acid Isomers in Human Blood Lipids and Their Relevance for the Interpretation of Lipidomic ProfilesAnna Sansone
ISOF, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Bologna, Italy
PLoS ONE 11:e0152378. 2016..Since RBC membrane PL and plasma CE have different fatty acid trends, caution must also be used in the choice of lipid species for the interpretation of lipidomic profiles. ..
- Alternative splicing generates novel Fads3 transcript in miceJi Yao Zhang
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 14853, USA
Mol Biol Rep 43:761-6. 2016b>Fads3 is the third member of the fatty acid desaturase gene cluster; with at least eight evolutionarily conserved alternative transcripts (AT), having no clearly established function as are known for FADS2 and FADS1...
- Evaluation of SCD and FASN Gene Expression in Baluchi, Iran-Black, and Arman SheepSalmani Izadi Mohammad
Department of Animal Sciences, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, International Campus, Mashhad, Iran
Rep Biochem Mol Biol 5:33-39. 2016..The aim of current study was to investigate expression changes of SCD and FASN genes that resulted from crossbreeding the local Baluchi sheep with alien breeds...
- The OLE1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes the delta 9 fatty acid desaturase and can be functionally replaced by the rat stearoyl-CoA desaturase geneJ E Stukey
Nelson Biological Laboratory, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059
J Biol Chem 265:20144-9. 1990..yeast genomic fragment complementing the ole1 mutation has been sequenced and determined to encode the delta 9 fatty acid desaturase enzyme by comparison of primary amino acid sequence to the rat liver stearoyl-CoA desaturase...
- Stearoyl-acyl-carrier-protein desaturase from higher plants is structurally unrelated to the animal and fungal homologsJ Shanklin
Department of Energy Plant Research Laboratory, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:2510-4. 1991..Stearoyl-ACP mRNA was present at substantially higher levels in developing seeds than in leaf and root tissue, suggesting that expression of the delta 9 desaturase is developmentally regulated.
- Comparison of the reactivity of tetradecenoic acids, a triacsin, and unsaturated oximes with four purified Saccharomyces cerevisiae fatty acid activation proteinsL J Knoll
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 270:20090-7. 1995..cis-double bond is a feature it shares with Faa3p and is notable since in yeast Ole1p, a microsomal cis-delta 9 desaturase, accounts for de novo production of monoenoic acyl-CoAs from saturated acyl-CoA substrates...
- Effect of a high linoleic acid diet on delta 9-desaturase activity, lipogenesis and lipid composition of pig subcutaneous adipose tissueM Kouba
Ensa de Rennes, France
Reprod Nutr Dev 38:31-7. 1998..The present study suggests that delta 9-desaturase could be involved in the regulation of monounsaturated fatty acid content and hence in the quality of pig adipose tissue...
- Chemical and posttranslational modification of Escherichia coli acyl carrier protein for preparation of dansyl-acyl carrier proteinsJ A Haas
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Protein Expr Purif 20:274-84. 2000..The efficient in vivo phosphopantetheinylation of E. coli apo-ACP by coexpression with holo-ACP synthase in E. coli BL21(DE3) using fructose as the carbon source is also reported...
- Role of the ubiquitin-selective CDC48(UFD1/NPL4 )chaperone (segregase) in ERAD of OLE1 and other substratesSigurd Braun
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18a, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
EMBO J 21:615-21. 2002..We propose that CDC48(UFD1/NPL4) functions as a segregase that liberates ubiquitylated proteins from non-modified partners...
- Acyl-CoA Z9- and Z10-desaturase genes from a New Zealand leafroller moth species, Planotortrix octoG Hao
Department of Entomology, New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, Cornell University, 14456, Geneva, NY, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 32:961-6. 2002..cDNA spans 2291 nt with an ORF encoding a 352 amino-acid protein, which has 65% identity to Trichoplusia ni Delta 9 desaturase (Tni-Z9)...
- trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid decreases lipogenic rates and expression of genes involved in milk lipid synthesis in dairy cowsL H Baumgard
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Dairy Sci 85:2155-63. 2002....
- Analysis of variation in cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in milk fat of dairy cowsD G Peterson
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Dairy Sci 85:2164-72. 2002..The variation among individuals includes differences related to both rumen biohydrogenation and delta 9-desaturase activity in the mammary gland...
- Conjugated linoleic acid and vaccenic acid in rumen, plasma, and milk of cows fed fish oil and fats differing in saturation of 18 carbon fatty acidsA A AbuGhazaleh
Dairy Science Department, South Dakota State University, Brookings 57007 0647, USA
J Dairy Sci 86:3648-60. 2003..06, 0.07, 0.06, and 0.07 g/100 g fatty acids, respectively). This study further supports the significant role for mammary delta-9 desaturase in milk cis-9, trans-11 CLA production...
- Effect of exercise training on the fatty acid composition of lipid classes in rat liver, skeletal muscle, and adipose tissueAnatoli Petridou
Department of Physical Education and Sport Science, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Appl Physiol 94:84-92. 2005..These findings may aid in delineating the effects of exercise on biological functions such as membrane properties, cell signaling, and gene expression...
- Down-regulated expression of PPARalpha target genes, reduced fatty acid oxidation and altered fatty acid composition in the liver of mice transgenic for hTNFalphaHeidi Glosli
Biotechnology Centre of Oslo, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Biochim Biophys Acta 1734:235-46. 2005..This is not due to de novo fatty acid synthesis as both FAS activity and gene expression of ACC2 were reduced...
- Genetic regulation of unsaturated fatty acid composition in C. elegansTrisha J Brock
Institute of Biological Chemistry, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, USA
PLoS Genet 2:e108. 2006..We conclude that, like mammals, C. elegans requires adequate synthesis of unsaturated fatty acids and maintains complex regulation of the delta-9 desaturases to achieve optimal fatty acid composition...
- CLN3P, the Batten's disease protein, is a novel palmitoyl-protein Delta-9 desaturaseSrinivas B Narayan
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Ann Neurol 60:570-7. 2006..Although the gene for the disorder was cloned more than a decade ago, the function of the encoded protein, CLN3P, has not been defined thus far...
- Identification of Rv3230c as the NADPH oxidoreductase of a two-protein DesA3 acyl-CoA desaturase in Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37RvYong Chang
Biophysics Graduate Degree Program and Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1549, USA
Biochemistry 45:13476-86. 2006..tuberculosis H37Rv to minimally consist of a soluble Rv3230c reductase and integral membrane DesA3 desaturase. Further implications of this finding relative to the properties of other multiprotein iron-enzyme complexes are discussed...
- Vaccenic acid and cis-9,trans-11 CLA in the rumen and different tissues of pasture- and concentrate-fed beef cattleXiangzhen Shen
Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, 210095, China
Lipids 42:1093-103. 2007..There was a linear relationship between the concentration of VA and cis-9,trans-11 CLA and the coefficients of determination (R (2)) varied between 0.29 and 0.87 from rumen to the different tissues...
- Gene expression pattern of functional neuronal cells derived from human bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cellsTatiana Tondreau
Institut Jules Bordet, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, 121, Bd de Waterloo, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
BMC Genomics 9:166. 2008..Indeed, many studies have demonstrated that MSC can give rise to neuronal cells as well as many tissue-specific cell phenotypes...
- Comparative understanding of UTS2 and UTS2R genes for their involvement in type 2 diabetes mellitusZhihua Jiang
Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 6351, USA
Int J Biol Sci 4:96-102. 2008....
- Stereochemistry of 10-sulfoxidation catalyzed by a soluble Delta9 desaturaseAmy E Tremblay
Department of Chemistry, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Org Biomol Chem 8:1322-8. 2010..These data validate the use of thia probes to determine the stereochemistry and cryptoregiochemistry of desaturase-mediated oxidations...
- Plasma and erythrocyte fatty acid patterns in patients with recurrent depression: a matched case-control studyJohanna Assies
Program for Mood Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 5:e10635. 2010....
- Milk fatty acid characterization and genetic parameter estimates for milk conjugated linoleic acid in buffaloesHumberto Tonhati
Animal Science Department, São Paulo State University FCAV UNESP, Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil
J Dairy Res 78:178-83. 2011..The cis-9,trans-11 CLA% can be enhanced by selection in buffaloes and will contribute to improving human health. The activity and efficiency of Delta(9)-desaturase in the mammary was measured and confirmed...
- Recent advances on stearoyl-Coa desaturase regulation in fatty liver diseasesMichel Narce
Universite de Bourgogne, UFR Sciences de la Vie, de la Terre et de l Environnement, 6 Boulevard Gabriel, 21000 Dijon, France
Curr Drug Metab 13:1454-63. 2012..Accordingly, SCD-1 represents a promising therapeutic target for the treatment of hepatic steatosis...
- SCD1 activity in muscle increases triglyceride PUFA content, exercise capacity, and PPARδ expression in miceMichael P Rogowski
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX and
J Lipid Res 54:2636-46. 2013..However, the mechanism of action that results in increased PUFA content of SCD1-Tg mice remains to be elucidated. ..
- Fatty acid desaturase 1 gene polymorphisms control human hepatic lipid compositionLibo Wang
Department of Statistics, College of Science Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Hepatology 61:119-28. 2015..The potential function of these SNPs in regulating transcription of three FADS genes (FADS1, FADS2, and FADS3) in the locus was also investigated...
- Effects of FADS and ELOVL polymorphisms on indexes of desaturase and elongase activities: results from a pre-post fish oil supplementationHubert Cormier
Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods INAF, Laval University, 2440 Hochelaga Blvd, Quebec, QC, G1V 0A6, Canada
Genes Nutr 9:437. 2014..Twenty-eight SNPs from FADS1, FADS2, FADS3, ELOVL2 and ELOVL5 were genotyped using TaqMan technology...
- Long-chain saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids associate with development of premature infants up to 18 months of ageBirgitta Strandvik
Dept of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, Novum, Halsovagen 7 9, 14183 Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden Electronic address
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 107:43-9. 2016..Our results may have implications for the supplementation of premature infants. ..
- Non-conjugated cis/trans 18:2 in Beef Fat are Mainly Δ-9 Desaturation Products of trans-18:1 IsomersP Vahmani
Lacombe Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lacombe, AB, T4L 1W1, Canada
Lipids 51:1427-1433. 2016....
- Synthesis of the suspected trans-11,cis-13 conjugated linoleic acid isomer in ruminant mammary tissue by FADS3-catalyzed Δ13-desaturation of vaccenic acidCyrielle Garcia
Laboratoire de Biochimie Agrocampus Ouest INRA, USC1378, 35000 Rennes, France
J Dairy Sci 100:783-796. 2017..However, in rodents, the fatty acid desaturase 3 (FADS3) gene was recently shown to code for an enzyme able to catalyze the unexpected Δ13-desaturation ..
- Transcriptional co-regulation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae alcohol acetyltransferase gene, ATF1 and delta-9 fatty acid desaturase gene, OLE1 by unsaturated fatty acidsD Fujiwara
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co Ltd, Kanagawa, Japan
Yeast 14:711-21. 1998..These results suggested that ATF1 transcription was co-regulated by the same mechanism as the OLE1 gene and that unsaturated fatty acids and oxygen repressed the ATF1 transcript by a different regulation pathway...
- In vitro thermogenesis and phospholipid fatty acid composition of brown adipose tissue in fasted and refed ratsS K Saha
Department of Physiology I, Asahikawa Medical College School of Medicine, Asahikawa, 078 8510, Japan
Jpn J Physiol 49:345-52. 1999..These results indicate that the modification of phospholipid fatty acid composition, especially the modification of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid DHA, and membrane fluidity are related to BAT thermoregulation in fasted and refed rats...
- Desaturation, chain scission, and register-shift of oxygen-substituted fatty acids during reaction with stearoyl-ACP desaturaseCorina E Rogge
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Biochemistry 41:10141-8. 2002..Possible mechanisms of the acyl chain scission and implications of these results for the desaturation mechanism are considered...
- Fatty acid profiles of milk and rumen digesta from cows fed fish oil, extruded soybeans or their blendA A AbuGhazaleh
Dairy Science Department, South Dakota State University, Brookings 57007 0647, USA
J Dairy Sci 85:2266-76. 2002....
- Conjugated linoleic acid differentially modifies fatty acid composition in subcellular fractions of muscle and adipose tissue but not adiposity of postweaning pigsScott R Demaree
Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Nutr 132:3272-9. 2002..Thus, in spite of marked effects on fatty acid composition and the Delta(9) desaturase index, CLA had no effect on adiposity in early weaned piglets fed high fat diets...
- Fluorescence anisotropy studies of enzyme-substrate complex formation in stearoyl-ACP desaturaseJeffrey A Haas
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Biochemistry 41:14472-81. 2002..These results indicate that acyl chain length selectivity derives in major part from partition of the enzyme-substrate complex between substrate release and subsequent steps in catalysis...
- Mechanism of fatty acid desaturation: a bioorganic perspectiveB Behrouzian
Department of Chemistry, Carleton University, Ottawa Carleton Chemistry Institute, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1S 5B6
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 68:107-12. 2003..These results point to a common active site architecture which is highly conserved among a wide range of membranous desaturases...
- Maintenance and regulation of mRNA stability of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae OLE1 gene requires multiple elements within the transcript that act through translation-independent mechanismsMuralikrishna Vemula
Division of Life Sciences, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Biol Chem 278:45269-79. 2003....
- A stearoyl-CoA-specific Delta 9 fatty acid desaturase from the basidiomycete Lentinula edodesHiromichi Sakai
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:2431-7. 2003A gene encoding a Delta 9 fatty acid desaturase (Delta 9-desaturase) was isolated from L. edodes. The open reading frame of this gene (named Le-FAD1) consisted of 1416 bp...
- Direct desaturation of free myristic acid by hen liver microsomal Delta9-desaturase without prior activation to myristoyl-CoA derivativeAziz C Awad
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1224, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:3194-201. 2004....
- Expression and regulation of the SCD2 desaturase in the rat ovaryCeline Moreau
Unite de Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 37380 Nouzilly, France
Biol Reprod 74:75-87. 2006..Western blot analyses the mRNA and protein expression of SCD2 (stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase 2; also named delta 9 desaturase) in rat ovary...
- Response of the Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas to hypoxia exposure under experimental conditionsElise David
Laboratoire des Sciences de l Environnement Marin LEMAR, Institut Universitaire Europeen de la Mer, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, Plouzane, France
FEBS J 272:5635-52. 2005..This study contributes to the characterization of many potential genetic markers that could be used in future environmental monitoring, and could lead to explore new mechanisms of stress tolerance in marine mollusc species...
- Modulation of conjugated linoleic acid-induced loss of chicken egg hatchability by dietary soybean oilE Muma
Department of Animal Science, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Poult Sci 85:712-20. 2006..Increased incorporation of dietary linoleic and linolenic acids might have compensated for the reduced levels of palmitoleic and oleic acid, thus allowing for the improvement in hatchability...
- Intermediate levels of neuronal palmitoyl-protein Delta-9 desaturase in heterozygotes for murine Batten diseaseSrinivas B Narayan
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Genet Metab 93:89-91. 2008..This is the first report of a heterozygous abnormality in Batten disease and provides important confirmation that this is the function of the CLN3 protein in neuronal tissues...
- Antimycobacterial Activity and Mechanism of Action of NAS-91Paul Gratraud
Laboratoire de Dynamique des Interactions Membranaires Normales et Pathologiques, Université de Montpellier II et I, CNRS, UMR 5235, Case 107, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1162-6. 2008..The development of a cell-free assay for Delta 9-desaturase activity allowed direct demonstration of the inhibition of oleic acid biosynthesis by these compounds...
- In vivo inactivation of the mycobacterial integral membrane stearoyl coenzyme A desaturase DesA3 by a C-terminus-specific degradation processYong Chang
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1549, USA
J Bacteriol 190:6686-96. 2008..Among these, an annotation is known for less than half, underscoring a general lack of understanding of proteins that have only temporal existence in a cell...
- Conjugated linoleic acid differentially regulates fat deposition in backfat and longissimus muscle of finishing pigsZ Y Jiang
Guangdong Public Laboratory of Animal Breeding and Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science South China, Institute of Animal Science, Guangdong Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Guangzhou, PR China
J Anim Sci 88:1694-705. 2010..These data indicate that dietary CLA regulates fat deposition by affecting adipocyte proliferation, adipocyte differentiation, gene expression, and key metabolic enzymes of lipid metabolism...
- Effect of diet, sex and age on fatty acid metabolism in broiler chickens: SFA and MUFAR Poureslami
Laboratory for Animal Nutrition and Animal Product Quality, Department of Animal Production, Ghent University, Proefhoevestraat 10, 9090 Melle, Belgium
Br J Nutr 104:204-13. 2010..Total ex novo production and beta-oxidation of SFA and MUFA showed a negative and positive curvilinear relationship with net intake of SFA and MUFA, respectively. Sex had no effect on SFA and MUFA metabolism...
- Alternative transcripts of fatty acid desaturase (FADS) genesJ Thomas Brenna
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 82:281-5. 2010..We recently reported positive identification of the first alternative transcripts (AT) of fatty acid desaturase 3 (FADS3) and FADS2 in fetal and neonatal baboons...
- Milk fatty acid profile and dairy sheep performance in response to diet supplementation with sunflower oil plus incremental levels of marine algaeP G Toral
Instituto de Ganadería de Montaña CSIC ULE, Finca Marzanas s n 24346 Grulleros, Leon, Spain
J Dairy Sci 93:1655-67. 2010....
- Genetic variation in polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism and its potential relevance for human development and healthClaudia Glaser
Division of Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Center, Lindwurmstrasse 4, Munich, Germany
Matern Child Nutr 7:27-40. 2011..suggest that in addition to fatty acid desaturase 1 and fatty acid desaturase 2, the gene product of fatty acid desaturase 3 is associated with desaturating activity...
- The role of fatty acid desaturases in epidermal metabolismHarini Sampath
Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology Oregon Health and Science University Portland, OR USA
Dermatoendocrinol 3:62-4. 2011..This review will focus on the role of fatty acid desaturases in maintaining epidermal metabolism...
- Responses of Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas populations to abiotic stress in environmentally contrasted estuaries along the Atlantic coast of FranceElise David
Laboratoire des Sciences de l Environnement Marin LEMAR, UMR CNRS 6539, Institut Universitaire Europeen de la Mer, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, Place Nicolas Copernic, 29280 Plouzane, France
Aquat Toxicol 109:70-9. 2012..The MT4 gene is a good physiological and genetic marker of stress response and susceptibility...
- Dimethyl acetals, an indirect marker of the endogenous antioxidant plasmalogen level, are reduced in blood lipids of Sudanese pre-eclamptic subjects whose background diet is high in carbohydrateA A Bueno
Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition, London Metropolitan University, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 32:241-6. 2012..pre-eclampsia is associated with oxidative stress and enhanced activity of the microsomal enzyme stearyl-CoA desaturase (delta 9 desaturase), as assessed by palmitic/palmitoleic (C16:0/C16:n-1) and stearic/oleic (C18/C18:1n-9) ratios.
- Dietary long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids upregulate expression of FADS3 transcriptsHolly T Reardon
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 88:15-9. 2013..b>FADS3 is a putative desaturase due to its sequence similarity with FADS1 and FADS2, but its function is unknown...
- Conversion of t11t13 CLA into c9t11 CLA in Caco-2 cells and inhibition by sterculic oilAnne Catherine Schneider
Institut des Sciences de la Vie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
PLoS ONE 7:e32824. 2012..This study aimed at investigating to which extent and by which route c9t11 CLA can be produced from another isomer of CLA, the t11t13 CLA that is structurally very similar to c9t11t13 CLnA, in Caco-2 cells...
- Preliminary safety assessment of a membrane-bound delta 9 desaturase candidate protein for transgenic oilseed cropsKrishna M Madduri
Dow AgroSciences LLC, 9330 Zionsville Road, IN 46268, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 50:3776-84. 2012A gene encoding delta 9 desaturase (D9DS), an integral membrane protein, is being considered for incorporation into oilseed crops to reduce saturated fatty acids and thus improve human nutritional value...
- Biosynthesis of gamma-linolenic acid and beta-carotene by Zygomycetes fungiTatiana Klempova
Department of Biochemical Technology, Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak University of Technology, Bratislava, Slovakia
Biotechnol J 8:794-800. 2013..Such knowledge about fatty acid desaturase activities provides new challenges for the regulation of biotechnological production of PUFAs by Zygomycetes fungi. ..
- Systemic down-regulation of delta-9 desaturase promotes muscle oxidative metabolism and accelerates muscle function recovery following nerve injuryGhulam Hussain
INSERM, U1118, Mécanismes Centraux et Péripheriques de la Neurodégénérescence, Strasbourg, France
PLoS ONE 8:e64525. 2013..Overall, these findings provide evidence for a new role of SCD1 in modulating the restorative potential of skeletal muscles...
- The 51 kDa FADS3 is secreted in the ECM of hepatocytes and blood in ratHélène Blanchard
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Nutrition Humaine, INRA USC 2012, Agrocampus Ouest, F 35042, Rennes, France
J Cell Biochem 115:199-207. 2014The fatty acid desaturase (Fads) cluster is composed of three genes encoding for the Δ5- and Δ6-desaturases and FADS3. The two former proteins are involved in the fatty acid biosynthesis; the latter one shares a high sequence identity ..
- Identification and functional analysis of delta-9 desaturase, a key enzyme in PUFA Synthesis, isolated from the oleaginous diatom FistuliferaMasaki Muto
Division of Biotechnology and Life Science, Institute of Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Koganei, Tokyo, Japan JST, CREST, Sanbancho 5, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 8:e73507. 2013..The findings will provide beneficial insights into applying metabolic engineering processes to suppressing PUFA synthesis in this oleaginous microalgal strain. ..
- Dietary arachidonic acid and docosahexaenoic acid regulate liver fatty acid desaturase (FADS) alternative transcript expression in suckling pigletsVasuki Wijendran
Department of Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 89:345-50. 2013..The objective of the current study was to determine regulation of liver Fads1, Fads2 and Fads3 classical (CS) and alternative transcripts (AT) expression by dietary ARA and DHA, within the physiological range ..
- Manipulation of body fat composition with sterculic acid can inhibit mammary carcinomas in vivoD E Khoo
Academic Department of Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Br J Cancer 63:97-101. 1991..001). A rise in the stearic:oleic acid ratio of tumours was observed in rats treated for only 16 days with sterculic acid. Manipulation of the tissue stearic:oleic acid ratio inhibits transplanted mammary tumour growth in rats...
- Prenatal and postnatal transfer of fatty acids from mother to pup in the hooded sealS J Iverson
Canadian Institute of Fisheries Technology, Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax
J Comp Physiol B 165:1-12. 1995..Ingested fatty acids were deposited directly and without modification into the blubber of pups, and by 4 days the fatty acid composition of pup blubber was virtually identical to that of the milk consumed...
- A novel cytochrome b5-like domain is linked to the carboxyl terminus of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae delta-9 fatty acid desaturaseA G Mitchell
Department of Biological Sciences, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059, USA
J Biol Chem 270:29766-72. 1995....
- A temperature-sensitive strain of Histoplasma capsulatum has an altered delta 9-fatty acid desaturase geneS Gargano
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, CNR, Naples, Italy
Lipids 30:899-906. 1995..The differential expression of delta 9-desaturase genes is discussed in relationship to differences in thermosensitivity in the fungal isolates and in regulating the level of expression of heat shock genes...
- Fatty acid-responsive control of mRNA stability. Unsaturated fatty acid-induced degradation of the Saccharomyces OLE1 transcriptC I Gonzalez
Department of Biological Sciences and the Bureau of Biological Research, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059, USA
J Biol Chem 271:25801-9. 1996....
- Fah1p, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae cytochrome b5 fusion protein, and its Arabidopsis thaliana homolog that lacks the cytochrome b5 domain both function in the alpha-hydroxylation of sphingolipid-associated very long chain fatty acidsA G Mitchell
Department of Biological Sciences and the Bureau of Biological Research, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, P O Box 1059, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059, USA
J Biol Chem 272:28281-8. 1997....
- Degradation of hepatic stearyl CoA delta 9-desaturaseJ Ozols
Department of Biochemistry, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington 06030, USA
Mol Biol Cell 8:2281-90. 1997....
- Nutritional and metabolic effects of alcoholism: their relationship with alcoholic liver diseaseD Bunout
INTA, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Nutrition 15:583-9. 1999..alcoholics have shown that liver damage is associated with a higher ratio of C:18:1/C:18:0 and a lower ratio of C:22:4/C:18:2 in liver lipids, consistent with an induction of delta 9 desaturase and an increased peroxidation of C:22:4.
- cDNA cloning of acyl-CoA desaturase homologs in the silkworm, Bombyx moriT Yoshiga
Laboratory of Molecular Entomology and Baculovirology, RIKEN, Hirosawa 2 1, Wako, Saitama, Japan
Gene 246:339-45. 2000..mori...
- A delta 9 desaturase gene with a different substrate specificity is responsible for the cuticular diene hydrocarbon polymorphism in Drosophila melanogasterR Dallerac
Universite Paris Sud, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8620, Neurobiologie et Apprentissage de la Mémoire et de la Communication, Orsa, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:9449-54. 2000..We suggest, therefore, that desat2 might play a control role in the biosynthesis of 5,9 HD hydrocarbons in Tai females and could explain the dienic hydrocarbon polymorphism in D. melanogaster...
- Dietary docosahexaenoic acid affects stearic acid desaturation in spontaneously hypertensive ratsM M Engler
Laboratory of Cardiovascular Physiology, Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0610, USA
Lipids 35:1011-5. 2000..The alterations in fatty acid composition and metabolism may contribute to the antihypertensive effect of DHA previously reported...
- The membrane proteins, Spt23p and Mga2p, play distinct roles in the activation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae OLE1 gene expression. Fatty acid-mediated regulation of Mga2p activity is independent of its proteolytic processing into a soluble transcription actR Chellappa
Division of Life Sciences and the Bureau of Biological Research, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Biol Chem 276:43548-56. 2001..The fatty acid repression of transcription under those conditions is attenuated by Spt23Deltatm, however, suggesting that the two proteins may interact to modulate OLE1 gene expression...
- JAMES T BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2016..In early 2012, we generated the first Fads3-/- (null) mouse to investigate the as-yet-unknown function of this extensively alternatively spliced gene...
- REGULATION OF FATTY ACID METABOLISMCharles Martin; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular and Cellular Biology of LipidsCharles Martin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Proper facilities are available to accommodate handicapped individuals who will be considered equally in the selection of attendees and speakers. ..
- Role of Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase in MetabolismJames M Ntambi; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have discovered a mechanism that partitions fat away from storage towards its burning in the fed state. Our research will contribute to the treatment of human obesity, diabetes and other metabolic diseases. ..
- DIETARY ESSENTIAL FATTY ACID ACCUMULATION IN RETINAJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Sub-normal development will be directly revealed via functional tests to assess the impact of low omega-3 fatty acid status on develop of vision acid status on development of vision and related health parameters. ..
- PRECISE ISOTOPE RATIO CHROMATOGRAPHY AND STABLE TRACERSJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The successful accomplishment of these plans will yield new tools and experimental approaches for investigation of the impact of developmental factors and recent physiological history on development of chronic disease. ..
- Prostate Cancer: A Mouse Model Testing 15-Lipoxygenase-1Uddhav Kelavkar; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Lipidomics Session ISSFAL 2006JAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2006..ISSFAL 2006 is expected to be among the most important international lipid metabolism conferences of the year, and a lipidomics symposium is timely given the increasing progress in this area. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LCPUFA Status and Birth Outcome in IndiaJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Positive results would justify an intervention studies to include LCPUFA in the diets of pregnant women in developed and developing countries. ..
- Gas phase derivatization for lipidomic MS analysisJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2007....