Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: DISC1
Description: disrupted in schizophrenia 1
Alias: C1orf136, SCZD9, disrupted in schizophrenia 1 protein
Publications169 found, 100 shown here
- The DISC locus in psychiatric illnessJ E Chubb
Medical Genetics Section, The Centre for Molecular Medicine, Western General Hospital, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Mol Psychiatry 13:36-64. 2008..and due to the high prevalence of schizophrenia in this family, they were named Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) and Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-2 (DISC2)...
- Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 Interactome: evidence for the close connectivity of risk genes and a potential synaptic basis for schizophreniaL M Camargo
Merck Research Labs, Merck and Co, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Psychiatry 12:74-86. 2007Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a schizophrenia risk gene associated with cognitive deficits in both schizophrenics and the normal ageing population...
- No significant association of 14 candidate genes with schizophrenia in a large European ancestry sample: implications for psychiatric geneticsAlan R Sanders
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, Evanston, IL 60201 3137, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:497-506. 2008The authors carried out a genetic association study of 14 schizophrenia candidate genes (RGS4, DISC1, DTNBP1, STX7, TAAR6, PPP3CC, NRG1, DRD2, HTR2A, DAOA, AKT1, CHRNA7, COMT, and ARVCF)...
- Meta-analysis indicates that common variants at the DISC1 locus are not associated with schizophreniaI Mathieson
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Mol Psychiatry 17:634-41. 2012Several polymorphisms in the Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) gene are reported to be associated with schizophrenia. However, to date, there has been little effort to evaluate the evidence for association systematically...
- Common DISC1 polymorphisms disrupt Wnt/GSK3β signaling and brain developmentKarun K Singh
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Neuron 72:545-58. 2011Disrupted in Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) is a candidate gene for psychiatric disorders and has many roles during brain development...
- Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 regulates neuronal progenitor proliferation via modulation of GSK3beta/beta-catenin signalingYingwei Mao
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell 136:1017-31. 2009The Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) gene is disrupted by a balanced chromosomal translocation (1; 11) (q42; q14.3) in a Scottish family with a high incidence of major depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder...
- DISC1 variants 37W and 607F disrupt its nuclear targeting and regulatory role in ATF4-mediated transcriptionElise L V Malavasi
The Centre for Molecular Medicine at the Medical Research Council Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Hum Mol Genet 21:2779-92. 2012Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1), a strong genetic candidate for psychiatric illness, encodes a multicompartmentalized molecular scaffold that regulates interacting proteins with key roles in neurodevelopment and plasticity...
- Positive association of the Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 gene (DISC1) with schizophrenia in the Chinese Han populationMei Qu
Institute of Mental Health, Peking University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:266-70. 2007Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) is located on 1q42.1, one of the most promising susceptibility loci in schizophrenia linkage studies...
- Family-based association study of lithium-related and other candidate genes in bipolar disorderRoy H Perlis
Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit, Center for Human Genetic Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:53-61. 2008..Recent developments suggest that a broader pool of genes may be associated with this disorder...
- The Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 Ser704Cys polymorphism and brain morphology in schizophreniaTsutomu Takahashi
Department of Neuropsychiatry, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Psychiatry Res 172:128-35. 2009The Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) polymorphism is a strong candidate for a schizophrenia-susceptibility gene as it is widely expressed in cortical and limbic regions, but the effect of its genotype variation on brain morphology in ..
- DISC1 in schizophrenia: genetic mouse models and human genomic imagingMandy Johnstone
Department of Psychiatry, The Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Morningside Terrace, Edinburgh EH10 5HF, UK
Schizophr Bull 37:14-20. 2011..One exception is 'Disrupted in schizophrenia 1' (DISC1), a gene locus originally identified in a large Scottish family, showing a heavy burden of major mental illnesses ..
- DISC1 at 10: connecting psychiatric genetics and neuroscienceDavid J Porteous
Molecular Medicine Centre, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Trends Mol Med 17:699-706. 2011Psychiatric genetics research, as exemplified by the DISC1 gene, aspires to inform on mental health etiology and to suggest improved strategies for intervention...
- Association analysis of the DISC1 gene with schizophrenia in the Japanese population and DISC1 immunoreactivity in the postmortem brainWoraphat Ratta-Apha
Department of Psychiatry, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Neurosci Res 77:222-7. 2013The Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) gene plays a role in the regulation of neural development...
- Evolutionary constraints on the Disrupted in Schizophrenia locusMartin S Taylor
Medical Genetics Section, Molecular Medicine Centre, University of Edinburgh, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Genomics 81:67-77. 2003..The order and orientation of EGLN1, TSNAX, and DISC1 genes are conserved between mammals and F. rubripes...
- Evidence for statistical epistasis between catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) and polymorphisms in RGS4, G72 (DAOA), GRM3, and DISC1: influence on risk of schizophreniaKristin K Nicodemus
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Genet 120:889-906. 2007..SNPs in RGS4, G72, GRM3, and DISC1 showed evidence for significant statistical epistasis with COMT...
- Association of distinct allelic haplotypes of DISC1 with psychotic and bipolar spectrum disorders and with underlying cognitive impairmentsOuti M Palo
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Insitute, Helsinki, Finland
Hum Mol Genet 16:2517-28. 2007..Multiple lines of evidence emphasize the role of disrupted-in-schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) gene in psychotic disorders such as SCZ...
- Identification of high risk DISC1 structural variants with a 2% attributable risk for schizophreniaWenjia Song
Department of Molecular Genetics, City of Hope National Medical Center, 1500 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010 3000, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 367:700-6. 2008..In a large Scottish pedigree, a balanced translocation t(1;11) (q42.1;q14.3) disrupting the DISC1 and DISC2 genes segregates with major mental illness, including schizophrenia and unipolar depression...
- Association of variants in DISC1 with psychosis-related traits in a large population cohortLiisa Tomppo
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:134-41. 2009There is an abundance of data from human genetic studies and animal models that implies a role for the disrupted in schizophrenia 1 gene (DISC1) in the etiology of schizophrenia and other major mental illnesses.
- DISC1 is associated with cortical thickness and neural efficiencyStefan Brauns
MGH MIT HMS Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129 2000, USA
Neuroimage 57:1591-600. 2011Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is known to play a major role during brain development and is a candidate gene for schizophrenia...
- Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1): association with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and bipolar disorderColin A Hodgkinson
Section of Human Neurogenetics and Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Rockville, MD, USA
Am J Hum Genet 75:862-72. 2004..The Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) gene, on chromosome 1q42, was originally discovered and linked to schizophrenia in a Scottish kindred carrying a ..
- A frameshift mutation in Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 in an American family with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorderN A Sachs
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Mol Psychiatry 10:758-64. 2005..predicted to result in the loss of the C-terminal region of the protein product of Disrupted In SChizophrenia 1 (DISC1), a gene located on 1q42.1...
- Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1): subcellular targeting and induction of ring mitochondriaJ Kirsty Millar
Medical Genetics Section, Department of Medical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 30:477-84. 2005Several independent studies have identified Disrupted In Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) as a potential susceptibility factor in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia and severe recurrent major depression...
- Genetic association between schizophrenia and the DISC1 gene in the Scottish populationFeng Zhang
Department of Mental Health, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 141:155-9. 2006Several lines of evidence support the involvement of the disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) gene in schizophrenia susceptibility, including its original identification in a schizophrenia family with a chromosome translocation, several ..
- Significant support for DAO as a schizophrenia susceptibility locus: examination of five genes putatively associated with schizophreniaLinda S Wood
Pharmacogenomics Molecular Profiling, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:1195-9. 2007..Within these regions, several genes have been identified via candidate gene association studies as strong schizophrenia susceptibility loci, including DAO, DAOA, DISC1, DTNBP1, and RGS4.
- Insolubility of disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 disrupts oligomer-dependent interactions with nuclear distribution element 1 and is associated with sporadic mental diseaseS Rutger Leliveld
Department of Neuropathology, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
J Neurosci 28:3839-45. 2008Disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) and other genes have been identified recently as potential molecular players in chronic psychiatric diseases such as affective disorders and schizophrenia...
- Association of DISC1 and TSNAX genes and affective disorders in the depression case-control (DeCC) and bipolar affective case-control (BACCS) studiesA Schosser
MRC SGDP Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, De Crespigny Park, London, UK
Mol Psychiatry 15:844-9. 2010The gene known as Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1, DISC1, was originally discovered in a large family, in which it also co-segregated with bipolar affective disorder (BD) and with major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- The DISC locus and schizophrenia: evidence from an association study in a central European sample and from a meta-analysis across different European populationsJohannes Schumacher
Unit on the Genetic Basis of Mood and Anxiety Disorders, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 3719, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:2719-27. 2009..studies, as well as the initial translocation family study, identified the gene Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) as a risk factor for schizophrenia...
- DISC1 splice variants are upregulated in schizophrenia and associated with risk polymorphismsKenji Nakata
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Division of Intramural Research Programs, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1385, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:15873-8. 2009Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) is a promising susceptibility gene for major mental illness, but the mechanism of the clinical association is unknown...
- The DISC1 Ser704Cys substitution affects centrosomal localization of its binding partner PCM1 in glia in human brainSharon L Eastwood
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK
Hum Mol Genet 19:2487-96. 2010Disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) has been genetically associated with schizophrenia, and with brain phenotypes including grey matter volume and working memory performance...
- Common functional polymorphisms of DISC1 and cortical maturation in typically developing children and adolescentsA Raznahan
Child Psychiatry Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Psychiatry 16:917-26. 2011Disrupted-in-schizophrenia-1 (DISC1), contains two common non-synonymous single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs)--Leu607Phe and Ser704Cys--that modulate (i) facets of DISC1 molecular functioning important for cortical development, (ii) ..
- Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1, a candidate gene for schizophrenia, participates in neurite outgrowthK Miyoshi
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
Mol Psychiatry 8:685-94. 2003Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) was identified as a novel gene disrupted by a (1;11)(q42.1;q14.3) translocation that segregated with schizophrenia in a Scottish family...
- Association study of polymorphisms between DISC1 and schizophrenia in a Korean populationHak Jae Kim
Kohwang Medical Research Institute, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130 701, Republic of Korea
Neurosci Lett 430:60-3. 2008To further clarify schizophrenia (SCZ), disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a promising candidate gene expressed predominantly within the hippocampus...
- Inhibition of NUDEL (nuclear distribution element-like)-oligopeptidase activity by disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1Mirian A F Hayashi
Center for Applied Toxinology, Laboratories of Immunogenetics and Immunochemistry, Butantan Institute, and Laboratory of Neurosciences, Universidade Cidade de São Paulo, SP 05503 900, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:3828-33. 2005..and schizophrenia through interactions with the lissencephaly gene 1 (Lis1) and disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) products, respectively...
- Association studies and gene expression analyses of the DISC1-interacting molecules, pericentrin 2 (PCNT2) and DISC1-binding zinc finger protein (DBZ), with schizophrenia and with bipolar disorderAyyappan Anitha
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 150:967-76. 2009Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) and its molecular cascade have been implicated in the pathophysiology of major psychoses...
- Disruption of two novel genes by a translocation co-segregating with schizophreniaJ K Millar
Medical Genetics Section, Department of Medical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh, Molecular Medicine Centre and MRC Human Genetics Unit, both at Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Hum Mol Genet 9:1415-23. 2000..These genes have been provisionally named Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 and 2 ( DISC1 and DISC2 ). DISC1 encodes a large protein with no significant sequence homology to other known proteins...
- Chromosomal location and genomic structure of the human translin-associated factor X gene (TRAX; TSNAX) revealed by intergenic splicing to DISC1, a gene disrupted by a translocation segregating with schizophreniaJ K Millar
Department of Medical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Genomics 67:69-77. 2000Two candidate genes, DISC1 and DISC2 on chromosome 1, are disrupted by a translocation that segregates with major psychiatric illness. Several DISC1 transcripts contain TRAX (HGMW-approved symbol TSNAX) sequence at the 5' end...
- Schizophrenia and affective disorders--cosegregation with a translocation at chromosome 1q42 that directly disrupts brain-expressed genes: clinical and P300 findings in a familyD H Blackwood
University Department of Psychiatry, Royal Edinburgh Hospital and University of Edinburgh, Medical Genetics Section, Molecular Medicine Centre, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 69:428-33. 2001..results of karyotypic, clinical, and ERP investigations of this family suggest that the recently described genes DISC1 and DISC2, which are directly disrupted by the breakpoint on chromosome 1, may have a role in the development of a ..
- Chromosome 1 loci in Finnish schizophrenia familiesJ Ekelund
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Hum Mol Genet 10:1611-7. 2001..for linkage in the combined study sample was obtained for marker D1S2709, which is an intragenic marker of the DISC1 gene, previously suggested as a susceptibility gene for schizophrenia...
- Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC-1): mutant truncation prevents binding to NudE-like (NUDEL) and inhibits neurite outgrowthYuji Ozeki
Division of Neurobiology and Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:289-94. 2003..As schizophrenia is thought to reflect defects in cortical development that are determined by cytoskeletal protein activities, the cellular disturbances we observe with mutant DISC-1 may be relevant to psychopathologic mechanisms...
- DISC1 (Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1) is a centrosome-associated protein that interacts with MAP1A, MIPT3, ATF4/5 and NUDEL: regulation and loss of interaction with mutationJill A Morris
Department of Neuroscience, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Hum Mol Genet 12:1591-608. 2003Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a novel gene associated with schizophrenia by multiple genetic studies...
- Haplotype transmission analysis provides evidence of association for DISC1 to schizophrenia and suggests sex-dependent effectsWilliam Hennah
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Hum Mol Genet 12:3151-9. 2003..study we genotyped 28 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) from 1q42 covering the three candidate genes TRAX, DISC1 and DISC2, using a study sample of 458 Finnish families ascertained for schizophrenia...
- Yeast two-hybrid screens implicate DISC1 in brain development and functionJ Kirsty Millar
Medical Genetics Section, Department of Medical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, EH4 2XU, Edinburgh, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 311:1019-25. 2003b>DISC1 is a candidate gene for involvement in the aetiology of major psychiatric illnesses including schizophrenia. We report here the results of DISC1 yeast two-hybrid screens using human foetal and adult brain libraries...
- Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 and Nudel form a neurodevelopmentally regulated protein complex: implications for schizophrenia and other major neurological disordersN J Brandon
Merck Sharp and Dohme, The Neuroscience Research Centre, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2QR, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 25:42-55. 2004Disrupted In Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) was identified as a potential susceptibility gene for schizophrenia due to its disruption by a balanced t(1;11) (q42;q14) translocation, which has been shown to cosegregate with major psychiatric ..
- DISC1 localizes to the centrosome by binding to kendrinKo Miyoshi
Department of Brain Science, Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama University, 2 5 1 Shikatacho, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 317:1195-9. 2004Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) was identified as a novel gene disrupted by a (1;11)(q42.1;q14.3) translocation that segregated with major mental disorders in a Scottish family...
- Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a multicompartmentalized protein that predominantly localizes to mitochondriaR James
Medical Genetics Section, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 26:112-22. 2004b>DISC1 is disrupted by a chromosomal translocation cosegregating with schizophrenia and recurrent major depression in a large Scottish family and has also been reported as a potential susceptibility locus in independent populations...
- DISC1 and DISC2: discovering and dissecting molecular mechanisms underlying psychiatric illnessJ Kirsty Millar
Medical Genetics Section, Department of Medical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Ann Med 36:367-78. 2004..The translocation breakpoint on chromosome 1 is located within the Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 and 2 genes (DISC1 and DISC2)...
- A form of DISC1 enriched in nucleus: altered subcellular distribution in orbitofrontal cortex in psychosis and substance/alcohol abuseNaoya Sawamura
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:1187-92. 2005Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) was identified as the sole gene whose ORF is truncated and cosegregates with major mental illnesses in a Scottish family...
- Association between the TRAX/DISC locus and both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in the Scottish populationP A Thomson
Medical Genetics Section, University of Edinburgh, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Mol Psychiatry 10:657-68, 616. 2005..disequilibrium in a representative sample of the Scottish population was undertaken across the 510 kb of TRAX and DISC1. SNPs representing each haplotype block were selected for case-control association studies of both schizophrenia ..
- Variation in DISC1 affects hippocampal structure and function and increases risk for schizophreniaJoseph H Callicott
Genes, Cognition, and Psychosis Program, Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Division of Intramural Research, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:8627-32. 2005Disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a promising schizophrenia candidate gene expressed predominantly within the hippocampus. We typed 12 single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) that covered the DISC1 gene...
- Association study of the DISC1/TRAX locus with schizophrenia in a Japanese populationXuan Zhang
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo, 113 8655 Japan
Schizophr Res 79:175-80. 2005Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1), identified by cytogenetic approaches in a pedigree with familial psychosis, is considered a candidate susceptibility gene for schizophrenia in some populations...
- Association between genotype at an exonic SNP in DISC1 and normal cognitive agingP A Thomson
Medical Genetics Section, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Neurosci Lett 389:41-5. 2005b>DISC1 is expressed in the hippocampus and has been identified as a possible genetic risk factor for both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. These psychiatric illnesses are associated with impaired learning and memory...
- DISC1 and neurocognitive function in schizophreniaKatherine E Burdick
Department of Psychiatry Research, The Zucker Hillside Hospital, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, New York, USA
Neuroreport 16:1399-402. 2005We recently reported an association between DISC1 and schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and bipolar disorder. Convergent evidence suggests that DISC1 has a direct effect on central nervous system functioning...
- A haplotype within the DISC1 gene is associated with visual memory functions in families with a high density of schizophreniaW Hennah
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Mol Psychiatry 10:1097-103. 2005..that specifically implicate the Translin-Associated Factor X (TRAX) and Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 and 2 (DISC1 and DISC2) genes in the genetic etiology of schizophrenia...
- A functional link between Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 and the eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3Fumiaki Ogawa
Laboratory of Molecular and Genetic Information, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 338:771-6. 2005Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) was identified as a candidate gene for schizophrenia. DISC1 is disrupted by a balanced t(1;11)(q42.1;q14...
- Association of DISC1/TRAX haplotypes with schizophrenia, reduced prefrontal gray matter, and impaired short- and long-term memoryTyrone D Cannon
Department of Psychology, 1285 Franz Hall, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:1205-13. 2005..Chromosome 1q42 is among several genomic regions showing replicated evidence of linkage with schizophrenia, but the specific susceptibility mechanisms underlying this relationship remain to be identified...
- DISC1 and PDE4B are interacting genetic factors in schizophrenia that regulate cAMP signalingJ Kirsty Millar
Medical Genetics Section, Molecular Medicine Centre, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Science 310:1187-91. 2005The disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) gene is a candidate susceptibility factor for schizophrenia, but its mechanistic role in the disorder is unknown...
- Expression of DISC1 binding partners is reduced in schizophrenia and associated with DISC1 SNPsBarbara K Lipska
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:1245-58. 2006b>DISC1 has been identified as a schizophrenia susceptibility gene based on linkage and SNP association studies and clinical data suggesting that risk SNPs impact on hippocampal structure and function...
- Case-control association study of Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) gene and schizophrenia in the Chinese populationQing Ying Chen
Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 319 Yue Yang Road, Shanghai 200031, PR China
J Psychiatr Res 41:428-34. 2007Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) has first been identified as a candidate gene for schizophrenia through study of a Scottish family with a balanced (1; 11) (q42.1; q14.3) translocation...
- Differential expression of disrupted-in-schizophrenia (DISC1) in bipolar disorderKazuhisa Maeda
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:929-35. 2006The disruption of the disrupted-in-schizophrenia (DISC1) gene segregates with major mental illnesses in a Scottish family...
- The genetics and biology of DISC1--an emerging role in psychosis and cognitionDavid J Porteous
Medical Genetics Section, Molecular Medicine Centre, University of Edinburgh, Crewe Road South, Edinburgh
Biol Psychiatry 60:123-31. 2006In the developing field of biological psychiatry, DISC1 stands out by virtue of there being credible evidence, both genetic and biological, for a role in determining susceptibility to schizophrenia and related disorders...
- Impact of the DISC1 Ser704Cys polymorphism on risk for major depression, brain morphology and ERK signalingRyota Hashimoto
Osaka Hamamatsu Joint Research Center for Child Mental Development, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, D3, 2 2 Yamadaoka, 4 1 1 Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Hum Mol Genet 15:3024-33. 2006Disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1), identified in a pedigree with a familial psychosis with the chromosome translocation (1:11), is a putative susceptibility gene for psychoses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder...
- A single nucleotide polymorphism fine mapping study of chromosome 1q42.1 reveals the vulnerability genes for schizophrenia, GNPAT and DISC1: Association with impairment of sustained attentionYu Li Liu
Division of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Research, National Health Research Institutes, Taipei, Taiwan
Biol Psychiatry 60:554-62. 2006..The marker D1S251 of chromosome 1q42.1 showed significant association with schizophrenia in a Taiwanese sample. We used single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) fine mapping to search for the vulnerability genes of schizophrenia...
- DISC1-NDEL1/NUDEL protein interaction, an essential component for neurite outgrowth, is modulated by genetic variations of DISC1Atsushi Kamiya
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:3313-23. 2006Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) is a unique susceptibility gene for major mental conditions, because of the segregation of its genetic variant with hereditary psychosis in a Scottish pedigree...
- Families with the risk allele of DISC1 reveal a link between schizophrenia and another component of the same molecular pathway, NDE1William Hennah
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Hum Mol Genet 16:453-62. 2007We have previously reported a robust association between an allelic haplotype of 'Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1' (DISC1) and schizophrenia in a nationwide collection of Finnish schizophrenia families...
- Association of DISC1 with autism and Asperger syndromeH Kilpinen
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Biomedicum, Helsinki, Finland
Mol Psychiatry 13:187-96. 2008The DISC1 gene at 1q42 has generated considerable interest in various psychiatric diseases, since a balanced translocation interrupting the gene was found to cosegregate with schizophrenia and related mental illnesses in a large Scottish ..
- DISC1 is associated with prefrontal cortical gray matter and positive symptoms in schizophreniaPhilip R Szeszko
Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY, USA
Biol Psychol 79:103-10. 2008b>DISC1 is considered a susceptibility gene for schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, but little is known regarding the potential mechanisms through which it may confer increased risk...
- DISC1 mRNA expression is not influenced by common Cis-acting regulatory polymorphisms or imprintingJ B G Hayesmoore
Department of Psychological Medicine, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:1065-9. 2008The hypothesis that genetic variation in Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) influences risk of schizophrenia and other major psychiatric disorders is supported by a growing body of genetic association data and plausible functional ..
- DISC1 association, heterogeneity and interplay in schizophrenia and bipolar disorderW Hennah
Medical Genetics Section, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, Scotland
Mol Psychiatry 14:865-73. 2009Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) has been associated with risk of schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, major depression, autism and Asperger syndrome, but apart from in the original translocation family, true ..
- Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1Walter J Muir
Division of Psychiatry, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Kennedy Tower, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Morningside Park, Edinburgh, Scotland EH10 5HF, United Kingdom
Curr Psychiatry Rep 10:140-7. 2008..Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) is now an important candidate risk gene for schizophrenia and affective disorders...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of Disc1 expression in the developing and adult hippocampusKate D Meyer
Human Molecular Genetics Program, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Memorial Research Center, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 2300 Children s Plaza, P O Box 211, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Gene Expr Patterns 8:494-501. 2008In recent years, Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) has emerged as one of the most promising candidate genes whose disruption confers an increased risk for schizophrenia...
- Recruitment of PCM1 to the centrosome by the cooperative action of DISC1 and BBS4: a candidate for psychiatric illnessesAtsushi Kamiya
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:996-1006. 2008..A role for the centrosome has been suggested in the pathology of major mental illnesses, especially schizophrenia (SZ)...
- Association between a disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) single nucleotide polymorphism and schizophrenia in a combined Scandinavian case-control samplePeter Saetre
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, HUBIN project, Karolinska Institutet and Hospital, R5 00, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Schizophr Res 106:237-41. 2008Disrupted-in-schizophrenia-1 (DISC1), located on chromosome 1q42.1, is linked to rare familial schizophrenia in a large Scottish family...
- DISC1, PDE4B, and NDE1 at the centrosome and synapseNicholas J Bradshaw
Medical Genetics Section, Molecular Medicine Centre, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 377:1091-6. 2008Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a risk factor for schizophrenia and other major mental illnesses...
- Association of the SerCys DISC1 polymorphism with human hippocampal formation gray matter and function during memory encodingAnnabella Di Giorgio
Psychiatric Neuroscience Group, Section on Mental Disorders, Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 28:2129-36. 2008..single nucleotide polymorphism leading to a serine-to-cysteine substitution at amino acid 704 (Ser(704)Cys) in the DISC1 protein sequence has been recently associated with schizophrenia and with specific hippocampal abnormalities...
- Association between genes of Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) interactors and schizophrenia supports the role of the DISC1 pathway in the etiology of major mental illnessesLiisa Tomppo
Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland FIMM and National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Biol Psychiatry 65:1055-62. 2009Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is currently one of the most interesting candidate genes for major mental illness, having been demonstrated to associate with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depression, autism, and Asperger's ..
- The DISC1 pathway modulates expression of neurodevelopmental, synaptogenic and sensory perception genesWilliam Hennah
Medical Genetics Section, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e4906. 2009Genetic and biological evidence supports a role for DISC1 across a spectrum of major mental illnesses, including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder...
- Disc1 regulates granule cell migration in the developing hippocampusKate D Meyer
Department of Pediatrics, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:3286-97. 2009..of psychiatric disease, we investigated the function of a highly promising schizophrenia susceptibility gene, DISC1 (Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1), in the development of the hippocampus...
- Oligomer assembly of the C-terminal DISC1 domain (640-854) is controlled by self-association motifs and disease-associated polymorphism S704CS Rutger Leliveld
Department of Neuropathology, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Biochemistry 48:7746-55. 2009Genetic studies have established a role of disrupted-in-schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) in chronic mental diseases (CMD)...
- Genetic association and post-mortem brain mRNA analysis of DISC1 and related genes in schizophreniaAnjali Rastogi
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Schizophr Res 114:39-49. 2009..from genetic linkage, genetic association and biological studies implicates the Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) gene in the etiology and pathophysiology of schizophrenia...
- Differential effects of prenatal and postnatal expressions of mutant human DISC1 on neurobehavioral phenotypes in transgenic mice: evidence for neurodevelopmental origin of major psychiatric disordersY Ayhan
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Mol Psychiatry 16:293-306. 2011Strong genetic evidence implicates mutations and polymorphisms in the gene Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) as risk factors for both schizophrenia and mood disorders...
- Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 expression is regulated by beta-site amyloid precursor protein cleaving enzyme-1-neuregulin cascadeSaurav Seshadri
Departments of Psychiatry, Neuroscience, and Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:5622-7. 2010Neuregulin-1 (NRG1) and Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) are promising susceptibility factors for schizophrenia...
- Association of DISC1 gene with schizophrenia in families from two distinct French and Algerian populationsAude Marie Lepagnol-Bestel
INSERM, Centre de psychiatrie et Neurosciences, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Psychiatr Genet 20:298-303. 2010The Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) gene is a promising genetic risk factor for major mental illnesses, especially schizophrenia...
- Identification of high risk DISC1 protein structural variants in patients with bipolar spectrum disorderWenjia Song
Department of Molecular Genetics, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91010, United States
Neurosci Lett 486:136-40. 2010In a large Scottish pedigree, a balanced translocation t (1;11)(q42.1;q14.3) disrupting the DISC1 and DISC2 genes segregates with major mental illness, including schizophrenia and depression...
- Disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) plays essential roles in mitochondria in collaboration with MitofilinYoung Un Park
Division of Molecular and Life Science, Department of Life Science, Biotechnology Research Center, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang 790 784, Korea
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:17785-90. 2010Disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) has emerged as a schizophrenia-susceptibility gene affecting various neuronal functions...
- DISC1 exon 11 rare variants found more commonly in schizoaffective spectrum cases than controlsE K Green
MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Department of Psychological Medicine and Neurology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 156:490-2. 2011..54) at chromosome 1q42 close to DISC1. An initial sequencing study of DISC1 using 14 unrelated DSM-IV SABP samples from the linkage study identified 2 ..
- Impact of DISC1 variation on neuroanatomical and neurocognitive phenotypesM A Carless
Department of Genetics, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, TX 78227, USA
Mol Psychiatry 16:1096-104, 1063. 2011Although disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) has been implicated in many psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder and major depression, its biological role in these disorders is unclear...
- Genetic and functional analyses identify DISC1 as a novel callosal agenesis candidate geneNathan Osbun
Department of Neurology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Med Genet A 155:1865-76. 2011..We fine mapped this deletion and show that it includes Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1), a gene implicated in schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders...
- Sequencing of DISC1 pathway genes reveals increased burden of rare missense variants in schizophrenia patients from a northern Swedish populationLotte N Moens
Applied Molecular Genomics Group, Department of Molecular Genetics, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology VIB, Flanders, Belgium
PLoS ONE 6:e23450. 2011In recent years, DISC1 has emerged as one of the most credible and best supported candidate genes for schizophrenia and related neuropsychiatric disorders...
- Molecular characterization of disrupted in schizophrenia-1 risk variant S704C reveals the formation of altered oligomeric assemblySaravanakumar Narayanan
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, and Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 286:44266-76. 2011b>DISC1 (Disrupted in schizophrenia-1) plays essential roles in neuronal proliferation, neuronal migration and axon guidance and has been implicated in schizophrenia and related psychiatric disorders...
- Linking neurodevelopmental and synaptic theories of mental illness through DISC1Nicholas J Brandon
Pfizer Neuroscience, Groton, Connecticut 06437, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 12:707-22. 2011..The disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) gene was originally discovered at the breakpoint of an inherited chromosomal translocation, which segregates with ..
- The DISC1 promoter: characterization and regulation by FOXP2Rosie M Walker
Medical Genetics Section, Molecular Medicine Centre, MRC Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Hum Mol Genet 21:2862-72. 2012Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a leading candidate susceptibility gene for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and recurrent major depression, which has been implicated in other psychiatric illnesses of neurodevelopmental origin, ..
- A t(1;11) translocation linked to schizophrenia and affective disorders gives rise to aberrant chimeric DISC1 transcripts that encode structurally altered, deleterious mitochondrial proteinsJennifer E Eykelenboom
Medical Genetics Section, University of Edinburgh Centre for Molecular Medicine, Medical Research Council Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Hum Mol Genet 21:3374-86. 2012Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) was identified as a risk factor for psychiatric illness through its disruption by a balanced chromosomal translocation, t(1;11)(q42.1;q14...
- Less efficient information transfer in Cys-allele carriers of DISC1: a brain network study based on diffusion MRIYonghui Li
LIAMA Center for Computational Medicine, National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Cereb Cortex 23:1715-23. 2013..with different genotypes in the common missense variant (Ser704Cys) of the Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) gene, which is one of the main susceptibility genes of schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders...
- DISC1 (disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1) is associated with cortical grey matter volumes in the human brain: a voxel-based morphometry (VBM) studyS Trost
Centre for Translational Research in Systems Neuroscience and Clinical Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 47:188-96. 2013b>DISC1 (Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1), one of the top candidate genes for schizophrenia, has been associated with a range of major mental illnesses over the last two decades...
- Subcellular targeting of DISC1 is dependent on a domain independent from the Nudel binding siteN J Brandon
Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Labs, The Neuroscience Research Centre, Terlings Park, Harlow, Essex CM20 2QR, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 28:613-24. 2005Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) has been identified as a putative risk factor for schizophrenia and affective disorders through study of a Scottish family with a balanced (1;11) (q42.1;q14...
- Schizophrenia susceptibility genes directly implicated in the life cycles of pathogens: cytomegalovirus, influenza, herpes simplex, rubella, and Toxoplasma gondiiC J Carter
176 Downs Road, Hastings, East Sussex, TN34 2DZ, UK
Schizophr Bull 35:1163-82. 2009..KPNA3 and RANBP5 control the nuclear import of the influenza virus. Disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) controls the microtubule network that is used by viruses as a route to the nucleus, while DTNBP1, MUTED, and ..
- A threonine to isoleucine missense mutation in the pericentriolar material 1 gene is strongly associated with schizophreniaS R Datta
Molecular Psychiatry Laboratory, Research Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London Medical School, Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, London, UK
Mol Psychiatry 15:615-28. 2010..PCM1 protein has been shown to interact directly with the disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) protein, Bardet-Biedl syndrome 4, and Huntingtin-associated protein 1, and is important in neuronal cell growth...
- The genetics of bipolar disorderJ H Barnett
Center for Human Genetic Research, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Neuroscience 164:331-43. 2009..Several of these genes have been associated with the disorder in independent studies (including BDNF, DAOA, DISC1, GRIK4, SLC6A4, and TPH2), but none has been established...
- Li Huei Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2014..The etiology of these disorders is completely unknown. Disrupted in Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) was identified as the gene that was disrupted on chromosome 1 in a Scottish family with a high concordance of ..
- Structural and Functional Alterations of Interneurons in Models of SchizophreniaIstvan Mody; Fiscal Year: 2012..transgenic mouse models of schizophrenia: the tamoxifen-inducible expression of the dominant-negative DISC1 C-terminal fragment (DISC1-cc) in 1-CaMKII expressing neurons and the selective knockout of NMDA receptors in ..
- Dissecting the role of one neuronal RhoGEF amongst many: the Kalirin-7 null mouseRichard E Mains; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, Kalirin interacts with DISC1 (a candidate schizophrenia gene) and HAP1 (a Huntingtin interactor)...
- Gene expression and functional studies from olfactory neurons of bipolar disorderKoko Ishizuka; Fiscal Year: 2013..determine development-associated deficits, with an emphasis on Wnt pathway and developmental switch of phospho-DISC1, in psychotic BP...
- Akira Sawa; Fiscal Year: 2016..factors for these disorders that have been recently indentified, including Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) and PCM1, have roles during neurodevelopment and are likely to cooperate, forming molecular "pathways...
- Role of neuregulin 1 signaling in cortical maturation and schizophreniaYachi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..The candidate risk gene of interest is DISC1. In the current proposal, I will examine the role of Nrg1-DISC1 interaction in the regulation of neuroconnectivity ..
- Neural Development of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells from Schizophrenia PatHongjun Song; Fiscal Year: 2012..One gene named disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1), was identified at the breakpoint of a balanced (1;11)(q42;q14) translocation that co-segregates with ..
- Neural Development of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells from Schizophrenia PatHongjun Song; Fiscal Year: 2010..One gene named disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (DISC1), was identified at the breakpoint of a balanced (1;11)(q42;q14) translocation that co-segregates with ..
- Role of neuronal migration genes in synaptogenesis and plasticityAnamaria Sudarov; Fiscal Year: 2013..by analyzing known Lis1 interactors, including the nudE isoform NudE-like 1 (NDEL1) and NDEL1 interacting protein DISC1. Lis1 may provide a critical link between external cues and cytoskeletal modulation underpinning activity-..
- Atsushi Kamiya; Fiscal Year: 2014..One example is the case of Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1), which plays a role in various cellular processes in the developing cerebral cortex by mediating interaction with ..
- Mechanism and neurodevelopmental role of DISC 1 and NRG/ErbB signaling cross-talSAURAV RAO SESHADRI; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>DISC1 and NRG1 are both major susceptibility genes for SZ, and preliminary data indicates that NRG1 signaling can affect ..
- Endophenotype-genotype associations in first-degree relatives of people with schiANNA DOCHERTY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Second, there is now evidence that anhedonia may be related to disrupted-in- schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) gene expression in humans, a gene that influences hippocampal function...
- PAVEL LEON KATSEL; Fiscal Year: 2016..Genomic translocation on chromosome 1q42 associated with SZ that interrupts the disrupted-In-schizophrenia-1 gene (DISC1) may produce truncated and nonfunctional DISC1 protein...
- Ha Nam Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2014..Disrupted in Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a gene in which mutations have been associated with increased risk for schizophrenia and affective disorders...
- Mikhail V Pletnikov; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our pilot studies indicated that Disrupted-In- Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) binds to SR and regulate D-serine production by astrocytes...
- Disruption of an epigenetic locus controlling EAAC1 expression in schizophreniaMarina Myles-Worsley; Fiscal Year: 2013..9p24 deletion is as large and as densely affected as the Scottish family that led to the discovery of the original DISC1 gene...
- Mice Harboring Human DISC1-Boymaw Fusion TranscriptsXIANJIN ZHOU; Fiscal Year: 2010..Disrupted-in-schizophrenia (DISC1) was identified in a large Scottish schizophrenia family and constitutes a clear and compelling functional ..
- Functions of DISC1 and APP in Cortical Development and Neuropsychiatric DisordersTracy L Young-Pearse; Fiscal Year: 2013..This set of experiments will address the hypothesis that abnormalities in neuronal migration are linked to defects in the neurotransmitter systems that are observed in patients with SZ. ..
- Functions of DISC1 and APP in Cortical Development and Neuropsychiatric DisordersTracy L Young Pearse; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, several genes have been linked to schizophrenia such as DISC1, PDE4, and NRG1, all of which play important roles in neuronal development, including migration and neurite ..
- ALEXEY VALERIEVICH SHEVELKIN; Fiscal Year: 2014..On chromosome 1, the translocation breakpoint disrupts the gene, named Disrupted In Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) that has been recognized as a strong candidate gene for major psychiatric illness...
- Understanding the genomic risk architecture of schizophrenia using gene expressioJoseph A Gogos; Fiscal Year: 2010..lines that faithfully model two rare mutations that unequivocally predispose to schizophrenia: a truncation of the DISC1 (short for Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia 1) gene and a microdeletion on chromosome 22q11.2;ii...
- Nuclear pathway of DISC1 in major mental illnesses: biochemistry and cell biologyAkira Sawa; Fiscal Year: 2012Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) is one of the most promising common susceptibility factors for major mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia and mood disorders...
- Defining of Neurodevelopmental Pathways Regulated by Neuregulin- DISC1 InteractioAkira Sawa; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two of the strongest susceptibility genes for Schizophrenia are neuregulin 1 (NRG1) and DISC1. Although they are broadly expressed in the developing brain and are thought to play important roles in ..
- The role of DISC 1 in synapse formation &function in the developing neocortexBrady J Maher; Fiscal Year: 2011..RELEVANCE: The training and research proposed in this grant application are designed to explain how mutations in DISC1, a candidate susceptibility gene, affect the development of the prefrontal cortex...
- Joseph A Gogos; Fiscal Year: 2016..b>DISC1 is a susceptibility gene identified through a rare genetic lesion, a balanced chromosomal translocation ..
- Zhen Yan; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is a genetic risk factor for schizophrenia and related mental illnesses, however the synaptic functions of DISC1 in mature neurons are largely unknown...
- Research Center for Molecular Pathogenesis of SchizophreniaAkira Sawa; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our collaborative team has obtained compelling evidence from our preliminary studies that DISC1 interacts with other susceptibility factors as an adaptor and is involved in various phases of neurodevelopment...
- Kafui Dzirasa; Fiscal Year: 2014..We will then quantify the effect of the psychotomimetic agent PCP and the schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 on these circuit mechanisms...
- Dennis J Selkoe; Fiscal Year: 2016..by which holoAPP is required for correct migration of neuronal precursors into the cortical plate and how DISC1 (which we found to interact with the APP cytoplasmic domain) works with DAB1, Fe65 and other factors in this ..
- Roles of Stress and Glucocorticoids in Dopaminergic Projections and BehaviorsMinae Niwa; Fiscal Year: 2013..This applicant has previously reported that four different Disc1 genetically-engineered mice (DISC1 mice) manifest various behavioral deficits relevant to psychiatric disorders ..
- David J Porteous; Fiscal Year: 2015..The gene DISC1 has been linked to this disorder by translocation in a single Scottish family as well as being supported by ..
- Role of cAMP and HCN channels in stress-induced prefrontal dysfunctionNAO JENNIFER GAMO; Fiscal Year: 2010..This mechanism may have particular relevance to schizophrenia, as a loss-of-function mutation in DISC1 (Disrupted In Schizophrenia) likely leads to a disinhibition of cAMP signaling in PFC in many patients with this ..
- Neuroscience Studies on Early Detection of SchizophreniaBeng Choon Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..investigation of two candidate genes (brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1)) and their relationships with two quantitative phenotypes of schizophrenia (neurocognitive dysfunction and MRI ..
- Inducible expression of mutant DISC1: transgenic mouse modelMikhail Pletnikov; Fiscal Year: 2008unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Disrupted-In-Schizophrenia-1 (DISC1) gene is an example of a strong candidate gene for studying the pathogenesis of schizophrenia...
- Viral Pathogenesis of Neural and Behavior InjuryMikhail Pletnikov; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- GENOME-WIDE ANALYSIS FOR ADDICTION SUSCEPTIBILITY GENESHerbert Lachman; Fiscal Year: 2005..By the end of the project, which will coincide with the completion of the human genome project, they will be able to analyze all of the specific candidate genes that map to linked markers. ..
- Genetic Linkage and Association in Bipolar DisorderJames Potash; Fiscal Year: 2009..These new variants would then be tested for association in our sample. The important findings that have already emerged from our very carefully assessed sample argue for the benefits of extending this valuable resource. ..
- NEURAL MECHANISMS OF SIZE PERCEPTIONJohn Allman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, we will map the extent of the surrounding non-CRF by masking parts of the visual contextual display while measuring the responses to different sized stimuli presented within the CRF. ..
- STUDIES OF GENOMIC IMPRINTING IN BIPOLAR DISORDERJames Potash; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Estrogen, Stress and Dysfunction of Prefrontal CortexAmy Arnsten; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research will begin to reveal how estrogen amplifies the neurochemical cascades that lead to activation of CREB and dysfunction of the PFC during stress ..
- Transgenic Models of Huntington's DiseaseChristopher Ross; Fiscal Year: 2006..The new mouse model will be useful for studying pathogenic features of HD, and for testing experimental therapeutic interventions. ..
- Neurodegeneration and Polyglutamine Toxicity DRPLAChristopher Ross; Fiscal Year: 2007..Proteolytic cleavage would be an especially good target for therapeutic interventions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COGNITIVE LOSS WITH AGE--ROLE OF CORTICAL CATECHOLAMINESAmy Arnsten; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Epigenetic Variation and its Determinants in DepressionJames Potash; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from the novel studies proposed in this application should shed light on the epigenetic mechanisms and gene-environment interactions that result in vulnerability to depression. ..
- PREQUEL Study In PRE-manifest HD of CoQ10/UbiquinonE Leading to Preventive TrialsChristopher A Ross; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- GENETICS OF EARLY ONSET DEPRESSIONJames Potash; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- RNA-Seq studies of Gene Expression in Cells and Networks in FI and ACC in AutismBarbara J Wold; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to use laser micro-dissection to investigate gene expression in specific neuronal and non-neuronal populations in the cortical areas of interest in the autism-A, autism-B and control groups. ..
- Prenatal Virally Induced Brain Disorder in MouseSEYYED FATEMI; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, it is expected that the results will provide clues that will lead to fundamental advances in our knowledge of the pathogenesis of schizophrenia and, therefore, of how it can be prevented and treated. ..
- Functions of APP Family Members in Neuronal DevelopmentTRACY PEARSE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Through these aims the function and mechanism of action of APP family members in developing neurons will be addressed. ..
- Varenicline and Smoking Cessation in SchizophreniaSEYYED HOSSEIN FATEMI; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such outcomes will be significant, because they will offer a new treatment for smoking cessation in this vulnerable population. ..
- Neuroimaging Studies of Frontal Lobe Pathology in OCDPhilip Szeszko; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Working Memory and Social Functioning in SchizophreniaTyrone Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging in First-Episode SchizophreniaPhilip R Szeszko; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of these abnormalities at the first episode of illness may be useful for identifying indicators of vulnerability, which may lead to improved early identification of individuals at risk for schizophrenia. ..
- Neural Phenotypes for Schizophrenia and Bipolar DisorderTyrone D Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2010....