Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cystatin C
Description: cystatin C
Alias: ARMD11, HEL-S-2, cystatin-C, bA218C14.4 (cystatin C), cystatin 3, epididymis secretory protein Li 2, gamma-trace, neuroendocrine basic polypeptide, post-gamma-globulin
Publications167 found, 100 shown here
- Expression of Cystatin C in the rat endometrium during the peri-implantation periodClaire E Quinn
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ont, Canada N6A 5C1
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349:236-44. 2006..An interesting pattern for Cystatin C (Cst3) expression was discovered with a peak in abundance just prior to embryo implantation (day 4 of pregnancy) ..
- Cystatin C improves the diagnosis and stratification of chronic kidney disease, and the estimation of glomerular filtration rate in diabetesV Rigalleau
Nutrition Diabétologie, Hopital Haut Leveque, Avenue de Magellan, 33600 Pessac, France Université de Bordeaux II Victor Segalen, 33000 Bordeaux, France
Diabetes Metab 34:482-9. 2008..Estimation of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is recommended to diagnose and stratify chronic kidney disease (CKD). Can cystatin-C (cysC) assay improve the results in diabetic patients?..
- Association of the novel cardiovascular risk factors paraoxonase 1 and cystatin C in type 2 diabetesPhilip W Connelly
Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Lipid Res 50:1216-22. 2009..Plasma cystatin C is more accurate than creatinine for identifying stage 3 kidney disease in T2DM...
- Influence of thyroid hormones and transforming growth factor-β1 on cystatin C concentrationsN Kotajima
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
J Int Med Res 38:1365-73. 2010Serum cystatin C concentrations are reported to increase in the hyperthyroid state...
- Serum cystatin C predicts progression of subclinical coronary atherosclerosis in individuals with type 1 diabetesDavid M Maahs
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, P O Box 6511, Mail Stop A140, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Diabetes 56:2774-9. 2007Renal function is an important determinant of coronary atherosclerosis, and serum cystatin C is a novel accurate measure of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and a predictor of cardiovascular events and mortality...
- Hereditary cystatin C amyloid angiopathy: identification of the disease-causing mutation and specific diagnosis by polymerase chain reaction based analysisM Abrahamson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Lund, University Hospital, Sweden
Hum Genet 89:377-80. 1992Hereditary cystatin C amyloid angiopathy (HCCAA) is a dominantly inherited disease characterized by amyloidosis, dementia and fatal cerebral hemorrhage of young adults. A method for rapid and simple diagnosis of HCCAA is described...
- Interaction of recombinant human cystatin C with the cysteine proteinases papain and actinidinP Lindahl
Department of Veterinary Medical Chemistry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala Biomedical Center
Biochem J 281:49-55. 1992The interaction between recombinant human cystatin C and the cysteine proteinases papain and actinidin was studied by spectroscopic, kinetic and equilibrium methods. The absorption, near-u.v.c.d...
- Binding of cystatin C to C4: the importance of sense-antisense peptides in their interactionJ Ghiso
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, NY 10016
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87:1288-91. 1990..that the antisense peptide Ser-Tyr-Asp-Leu complementary to the segment Gln-Ile-Val-Ala-Gly (residues 55-59) in cystatin C (an inhibitor of cysteine proteases) is located at positions 611-614 of the beta chain of human C4, the fourth ..
- Mutation in cystatin C gene causes hereditary brain haemorrhageA Palsdottir
National Hospital, University of Iceland, Reykjavik
Lancet 2:603-4. 1988Hereditary cystatin C amyloid angiopathy (HCCAA) is an autosomal dominant disorder in which a cysteine proteinase inhibitor, cystatin C, is deposited as amyloid fibrils in the cerebral arteries of patients and leads to massive brain ..
- Human cystatin, a new protein inhibitor of cysteine proteinasesJ Brzin
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 118:103-9. 1984..Very probably human cystatin is identical with human gamma-trace, a microprotein of known sequence but hitherto unknown function...
- Cystatin C deficiency in human atherosclerosis and aortic aneurysmsG P Shi
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 104:1191-7. 1999..We show here that, whereas cystatin C is normally expressed in vascular wall smooth muscle cells (SMCs), this cysteine protease inhibitor is severely ..
- A polymorphism in the cystatin C gene is a novel risk factor for late-onset Alzheimer's diseaseF C Crawford
Roskamp Institute University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33613, USA
Neurology 55:763-8. 2000To investigate whether or not a coding polymorphism in the cystatin C gene (CST3) contributes risk for AD.
- Human cystatin C, an amyloidogenic protein, dimerizes through three-dimensional domain swappingR Janowski
Department of Crystallography, Faculty of Chemistry, A Mickiewicz University, Grunwaldzka 6, 60 780 Poznan, Poland
Nat Struct Biol 8:316-20. 2001The crystal structure of human cystatin C, a protein with amyloidogenic properties and a potent inhibitor of cysteine proteases, reveals how the protein refolds to produce very tight two-fold symmetric dimers while retaining the secondary ..
- Alzheimer disease-associated cystatin C variant undergoes impaired secretionLuisa Benussi
Neurobiology Lab, IRCCS Centro San Giovanni di Dio, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 13:15-21. 2003CST3 is the coding gene for cystatin C (CysC). CST3 B/B homozygosity is associated with an increased risk of developing Alzheimer disease...
- Human evidence that the cystatin C gene is implicated in focal progression of coronary artery diseasePer Eriksson
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, King Gustaf V Research Institute, Karolinska Hospital, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:551-7. 2004..The potential significance of imbalance in expression between cathepsins and their inhibitor cystatin C in cardiovascular disease has been highlighted by the demonstration of cystatin C deficiency in human ..
- Factors influencing serum cystatin C levels other than renal function and the impact on renal function measurementEric L Knight
Channing Laboratory, Renal Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 65:1416-21. 2004..Serum cystatin C has been proposed as a potentially superior marker than serum creatinine, because serum cystatin C level is ..
- Binding of cystatin C to Alzheimer's amyloid beta inhibits in vitro amyloid fibril formationMagdalena Sastre
Departments of Pharmacology, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY, 10016, USA
Neurobiol Aging 25:1033-43. 2004The colocalization of cystatin C, an inhibitor of cysteine proteases, with amyloid beta (Abeta) in parenchymal and vascular amyloid deposits in brains of Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients may reflect cystatin C involvement in ..
- Biochemistry and clinical role of human cystatin CMichele Mussap
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Padua, Padua, Italy
Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 41:467-550. 2004Low molecular-mass plasma proteins play a key role in health and disease. Cystatin C is an endogenous cysteine proteinase inhibitor belonging to the type 2 cystatin superfamily...
- 3D domain-swapped human cystatin C with amyloidlike intermolecular beta-sheetsRobert Janowski
Department of Crystallography, Faculty of Chemistry, A Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
Proteins 61:570-8. 2005Oligomerization of human cystatin C (HCC) leads to amyloid deposits in brain arteries, and this process is greatly accelerated with a naturally occurring L68Q variant...
- Identification of potential CSF biomarkers in ALSG M Pasinetti
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Bronx Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Neurology 66:1218-22. 2006..The clinical diagnosis of ALS is based entirely on clinical features. Identification of biomarkers for ALS would be important for diagnosis and might also provide clues to pathogenesis...
- The role of cystatin C in cerebral amyloid angiopathy and stroke: cell biology and animal modelsEfrat Levy
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, and Nathan Kline Institute, Orangeburg 10962, USA
Brain Pathol 16:60-70. 2006A variant of the cysteine protease inhibitor, cystatin C, forms amyloid deposited in the cerebral vasculature of patients with hereditary cerebral hemorrhage with amyloidosis, Icelandic type (HCHWA-I), leading to cerebral hemorrhages ..
- A genome-wide linkage scan for genes controlling variation in renal function estimated by serum cystatin C levels in extended families with type 2 diabetesGrzegorz Placha
Section on Genetics and Epidemiology, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 55:3358-65. 2006..GFR was estimated from serum concentrations of cystatin C and creatinine in 406 diabetic and 428 nondiabetic relatives...
- Systematic meta-analyses of Alzheimer disease genetic association studies: the AlzGene databaseLars Bertram
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease MIND, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nat Genet 39:17-23. 2007..67 for protective alleles). Our database provides a powerful tool for deciphering the genetics of Alzheimer disease, and it serves as a potential model for tracking the most viable gene candidates in other genetically complex diseases...
- Association of cystatin C and estimated GFR with inflammatory biomarkers: the Heart and Soul StudyDavid Singh
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1087-92. 2007b>Cystatin C is a marker of kidney function that may also be associated with inflammation...
- Genotype and plasma concentration of cystatin C in patients with late-onset Alzheimer diseaseLiang Jen Chuo
Department of Psychiatry, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, and Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 23:251-7. 2007A polymorphism locating at position 73 of cystatin C (CST3) exon 1 was suggested to be associated with Alzheimer disease (AD), but with contradictory results...
- Cystatin C is associated with cardiovascular risk factors and metabolic syndrome in Aboriginal youthRavi Retnakaran
Division of Endocrinology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 22:1007-13. 2007Serum concentration of cystatin C, a marker of glomerular filtration, has been associated with incident cardiovascular disease (CVD), although the pathophysiology underlying this association remains unclear...
- Fibrillogenic oligomers of human cystatin C are formed by propagated domain swappingMaria Wahlbom
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Lund University Hospital, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 282:18318-26. 2007b>Cystatin C and the prion protein have been shown to form dimers via three-dimensional domain swapping, and this process has also been hypothesized to be involved in amyloidogenesis...
- Increased urinary cystatin C reflects structural and functional renal tubular impairment independent of glomerular filtration rateStefan Herget-Rosenthal
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital, Essen, University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Clin Biochem 40:946-51. 2007The ratio of the urinary mass concentrations of cystatin C and creatinine (UcysC/Ucrea)>/=11.3 mg/mmol has recently been proposed as an accurate marker for the detection of GFR</=60 mL/min/1.73 m(2).
- Cystatin C binds serum amyloid A, downregulating its cytokine-generating propertiesMaria Bokarewa
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
J Rheumatol 34:1293-301. 2007To assess the interaction between cystatin C (CysC) and serum amyloid A protein (SAA).
- Relations between markers of renal function, coronary risk factors and the occurrence and severity of coronary artery diseaseJun Wang
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of New South Wales, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Atherosclerosis 197:853-9. 2008..To explore this we assessed relations between measures of mild impairment of renal function and coronary artery disease (CAD) together with other risk factors...
- Cystatin C inhibits amyloid-beta deposition in Alzheimer's disease mouse modelsWeiqian Mi
Nathan S Kline Institute, Orangeburg, New York 10962, USA
Nat Genet 39:1440-2. 2007Using transgenic mice expressing human cystatin C (encoded by CST3), we show that cystatin C binds soluble amyloid-beta peptide and inhibits cerebral amyloid deposition in amyloid-beta precursor protein (APP) transgenic mice...
- Cystatin C modulates cerebral beta-amyloidosisStephan A Kaeser
Department of Cellular Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tubingen, Otfried Muller Strasse 27, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Nat Genet 39:1437-9. 2007The CST3 Thr25 allele of CST3, which encodes cystatin C, leads to reduced cystatin C secretion and conveys susceptibility to Alzheimer's disease...
- Cystatin C--a marker of peripheral atherosclerotic disease?J Arpegård
Department of Medicine, Division of Emergency Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 199:397-401. 2008It has been suggested that Cystatin C, besides its function as a marker of glomerular filtration, could be an independent marker of cardiovascular disease. However, studies on this topic are few and results have been indecisive...
- Serial measurements of cystatin C are more accurate than creatinine-based methods in detecting declining renal function in type 1 diabetesErosha Premaratne
Endocrine Centre, Austin Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Diabetes Care 31:971-3. 2008b>Cystatin C-and creatinine-based methods were compared with (99m)-technetium-diethylene-triamine-penta-acetic acid ((99m)Tc-DTPA) plasma clearance (isotopic glomerular filtration rate [iGFR]) for detecting declining renal function.
- Serum cystatin C and the risk of Alzheimer disease in elderly menJ Sundelof
Uppsala University, Department of Public Health Geriatrics, Uppsala Science Park, Uppsala, Sweden
Neurology 71:1072-9. 2008Multiple lines of research suggest that increased cystatin C activity in the brain protects against the development of Alzheimer disease (AD).
- Factors other than glomerular filtration rate affect serum cystatin C levelsLesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Clinical Care Research, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 75:652-60. 2009b>Cystatin C is an endogenous glomerular filtration marker hence its serum level is affected by the glomerular filtration rate (GFR)...
- Comparisons of cystatin C with creatinine for evaluation of renal function in chronic kidney diseaseMasatomo Yashiro
Division of Nephrology, Kyoto City Hospital, Nakagyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 13:598-604. 2009Because of the limitations of creatinine (Cr) as a marker for the glomerular filtration rate (GFR), cystatin C (CysC) has been proposed as an alternative substance. The aim here was to clarify the characteristics of CysC compared with Cr.
- Insulin resistance and inflammation may have an additional role in the link between cystatin C and cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus patientsSeung Hwan Lee
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, St Vincent s Hospital, Suwon 442 723, Korea
Metabolism 59:241-6. 2010Recent studies suggest that serum cystatin C level is not only a sensitive marker for renal dysfunction but also a predictive marker for cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, the mechanism of this connection is not fully understood...
- Serum cystatin C is a potential endogenous marker for the estimation of renal function in male gout patients with renal impairmentJung Yoon Choe
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University of Daegu School of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 25:42-8. 2010..We investigated the diagnostic efficacy of serum cystatin C compared to that of serum creatinine levels and identified the relating factors associated with changes in serum ..
- The CST3 BB genotype and low cystatin C cerebrospinal fluid levels are associated with dementia in Lewy body diseaseWalter Maetzler
Department of Neurodegeneration, University of Tuebingen, Germany
J Alzheimers Dis 19:937-42. 2010..b>Cystatin C (CysC) is a carrier of soluble Abeta (42) in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and reduces Abeta plaque formation...
- Crystal structure of human cystatin C stabilized against amyloid formationRobert Kolodziejczyk
Faculty of Chemistry, Department of Crystallography, A Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
FEBS J 277:1726-37. 2010Human cystatin C (HCC) is a family 2 cystatin inhibitor of papain-like (C1) and legumain-related (C13) cysteine proteases...
- Mild renal dysfunction as a non-traditional cardiovascular risk factor?-Association of cystatin C-based glomerular filtration rate with flow-mediated vasodilationThorsten Reffelmann
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin B, Universitätsklinikum der Ernst Moritz Arndt Universität Greifswald, Friedrich Löffler Str 23 a, 17487 Greifswald, Germany
Atherosclerosis 211:660-6. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether early stages of renal dysfunction are associated with flow-mediated vasodilatation, as an early marker of the atherosclerotic disease process...
- Cystatin C, a novel urinary biomarker for sensitive detection of acute kidney injury during haemorrhagic fever with renal syndromeYing Ma
Department of Immunology, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Biomarkers 15:410-7. 2010To explore the value of cystatin C for evaluating acute kidney injury (AKI) in haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS), the concentrations of cystatin C in serum and urine samples from HFRS patients were determined...
- Association between cystatin C and inflammation in patients with essential hypertensionTakafumi Okura
Department of Integrated Medicine and Informatics, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Toon, Ehime 791 0295, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 14:584-8. 2010Serum cystatin C is not only a marker of renal function but also acts as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular damage, heart failure, and death...
- Quantification of cystatin C in cerebrospinal fluid from various neurological disorders and correlation with G73A polymorphism in CST3Yukiko Yamamoto-Watanabe
Department of Neurology, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Aomori 036 8562, Japan
Brain Res 1361:140-5. 2010b>Cystatin C (CC) is a cysteine protease inhibitor abundantly expressed in the central nervous system...
- Plasma cystatin C and risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in subjects with mild cognitive impairmentRoberta Ghidoni
Proteomics Unit, IRCCS Centro S Giovanni di Dio FBF, Brescia, Italy
J Alzheimers Dis 22:985-91. 2010..Experimental and clinical data have suggested that cystatin C (CysC) is protective against the development of AD...
- Association of cystatin-C with metabolic syndrome in normal glucose-tolerant subjects (CURES-97)Jatagopi Surendar
Madras Diabetes Research Foundation and Dr Mohan s Diabetes Specialities Centre, WHO Collaborating Centre for Non communicable Diseases Prevention and Control, International Diabetes Federation Centre of Education, 4 Conran Smith Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai, India
Diabetes Technol Ther 12:907-12. 2010..This study looked at the association of cystatin-C (cys-C) with severity of metabolic syndrome in Asian Indians...
- Cathepsins (S and B) and their inhibitor Cystatin C in immune cells: modulation by interferon-β and role played in cell migrationElsebeth Staun-Ram
Rappaport Faculty of Medicine and Research Institute, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
J Neuroimmunol 232:200-6. 2011We investigated the modulation of Cathepsin S, Cathepsin B and Cystatin C expression in immune cells by interferon (IFN)-β, and their role in cell migration. Cathepsin levels were increased in monocytic and T line cells upon activation...
- Cystatin C, a marker for successful aging and glomerular filtration rate, is not influenced by inflammationAnders Grubb
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 71:145-9. 2011The plasma level of cystatin C is a better marker than plasma creatinine for successful aging...
- Cystatin C as an early biomarker of nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetesYun Kyung Jeon
Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital, Busan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:258-63. 2011This study was done to evaluate clinical usefulness of cystatin C levels of serum and urine in predicting renal impairment in normoalbuminuric patients with type 2 diabetes and to evaluate the association between albuminuria and serum/..
- Higher cystatin C level predicts long-term mortality in patients with peripheral arterial diseaseGrazina Urbonaviciene
Vascular Research Unit, Department of Vascular Surgery, Viborg Hospital, Heibergs Alle 4, DK 8800 Viborg, Denmark
Atherosclerosis 216:440-5. 2011b>Cystatin C and cathepsins could play a role in different processes and stages of the atherosclerotic disease...
- Performance of serum cystatin C versus serum creatinine as a marker of glomerular filtration rate as measured by inulin renal clearanceMasaru Horio
Department of Functional Diagnostic Science, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 15:868-76. 2011Serum cystatin C was recently proposed as an alternative marker of glomerular filtration rate (GFR), with a suggested better performance than creatinine. However, detailed studies are limited...
- Update on cystatin C: incorporation into clinical practiceMichael G Shlipak
San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 62:595-603. 2013..Emerging evidence has shown that cystatin C may improve classification of glomerular filtration rate for defining chronic kidney disease in certain clinical ..
- Estimation of glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine and cystatin C in octogenarians and nonagenariansMarcelo B Lopes
Nephrology, School of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Nephrol 14:265. 2013..of the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD), the Chronic Kidney Disease-Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-Epi) and the Berlin Initiative Study (BIS) equations based on creatinine and/or cystatin C in octogenarians and nonagenarians.
- Cystatin C is a biomarker for predicting acute kidney injury in patients with acute-on-chronic liver failureZhi Hong Wan
Zhi Hong Wan, Jian Jun Wang, Shao Li You, Hong Ling Liu, Bing Zhu, Hong Zang, Chen Li, Jing Chen, Shao Jie Xin, Liver Failure Treatment and Research Center, Beijing 302 Hospital, Beijing 100039, China
World J Gastroenterol 19:9432-8. 2013To investigate serum cystatin C level as an early biomarker for predicting acute kidney injury (AKI) in patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure (ACLF).
- Structure and expression of the human cystatin C geneM Abrahamson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Biochem J 268:287-94. 1990The structural organization of the gene for the human cysteine-proteinase inhibitor cystatin C was studied...
- Cystatin C antagonizes transforming growth factor beta signaling in normal and cancer cellsJonathan P Sokol
Program in Cell Biology, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Mol Cancer Res 2:183-95. 2004b>Cystatin C (CystC) is a secreted cysteine protease inhibitor that regulates bone resorption, neutrophil chemotaxis, and tissue inflammation, as well as resistance to bacterial and viral infections...
- Expression of type 2 cystatin genes CST1-CST5 in adult human tissues and the developing submandibular glandD P Dickinson
Department of Oral Biology and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912 1124, USA
DNA Cell Biol 21:47-65. 2002..The CST3 gene, encoding cystatin C, was expressed at modest levels in all tissues examined...
- Characterization of Hlcyst-3 as a member of cystatins from the tick Haemaphysalis longicornisJinlin Zhou
Department of Frontier Veterinary Medicine, Kagoshima University, Korimoto, Japan
Exp Appl Acarol 51:327-33. 2010..The inhibitory activity of the recombinant protein against papain and cathepsin L was identified by fluorogenic substrate analysis. Real-time PCR revealed that Hlcyst-3 was mostly expressed in the tick midgut...
- Molecular genetics of Alzheimer's disease and agingRamon Cacabelos
EuroEspes Biomedical Research Center, Institute for CNS Disorders, Bergondo, La Coruna, Spain
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 27:1-573. 2005..Furthermore, the pharmacogenomics of Alzheimer's disease may contribute in the future to optimize drug development and therapeutics, increasing efficacy and safety, and reducing side-effects and unnecessary costs...
- Pharmacogenomics in Alzheimer's diseaseRamon Cacabelos
EuroEspes Biomedical Research Center, Institute for CNS Disorders, 15166 Bergondo, La Coruna, Spain
Mini Rev Med Chem 2:59-84. 2002..Furthermore, the pharmacogenomics of AD may contribute in the future to optimise drug development and therapeutics, increasing efficacy and safety, and reducing side-effects and unnecessary costs...
- Pharmacogenomics for the treatment of dementiaRamon Cacabelos
From the EuroEspes Biomedical Research Center, Institute for CNS Disorders, Bergondo, La Coruna, Spain
Ann Med 34:357-79. 2002..The pharmacogenomics of AD may contribute in the future to optimise drug development and therapeutics, increasing efficacy and safety, and reducing side-effects and unnecessary costs...
- Fetal-maternal interactions during the establishment of pregnancy in ruminantsT E Spencer
Center for Animal Biotechnology and Genomics, Departments of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
Soc Reprod Fertil Suppl 64:379-96. 2007..wingless-type MMTV integration site family member 7A) and to stimulate LGALS15, CTSL (cathepsin L), and CST3 (cystatin C), which may regulate conceptus development and implantation...
- Structural organization, expression and chromosomal mapping of the mouse cystatin-C-encoding gene (Cst3)C Huh
Molecular and Medical Genetics Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Gene 152:221-6. 1995b>Cystatin C (CstC) is a potent cysteine-proteinase inhibitor. The structure of the mouse CstC-encoding gene (Cst3) was examined by sequencing a 6.1-kb genomic DNA containing the entire gene, as well as 0.9 kb of 5' flanking and 1...
- Regulated expression and intracellular localization of cystatin F in human U937 cellsCarl Michael Nathanson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Institute of Laboratory Medicine, and Department of Ophtalmology, University of Lund, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 269:5502-11. 2002..By contrast, U937 cells contained only 3-4% of the related inhibitor, cystatin C. Cystatin F purified from lysates of U937 cells showed three major forms carrying two, one or no carbohydrate ..
- DNA analysis of neonatal human remains wrapped and kept in a vinyl bag for 15 yearsKiyoshi Minaguchi
Department of Forensic Odontology, Tokyo Dental College, 1 2 2 Masago, Mihama ku, Chiba 261 0011, Japan
Leg Med (Tokyo) 5:S183-6. 2003....
- Iron deficiency alters expression of genes implicated in Alzheimer disease pathogenesisERIK S CARLSON
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, 420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Brain Res 1237:75-83. 2008..Our results suggest a role for neonatal iron deficiency in dysregulation of genes that may set the stage for long-term neurodegenerative disease and that this may occur through a histone modification mechanism...
- No pathogenic mutations identified in the COL8A2 gene or four positional candidate genes in patients with posterior polymorphous corneal dystrophyVivek S Yellore
Jules Stein Eye Institute, University of California Los Angeles, 100 Stein Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:1599-603. 2005....
- Cystatin C-cathepsin B axis regulates amyloid beta levels and associated neuronal deficits in an animal model of Alzheimer's diseaseBinggui Sun
Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Neuron 60:247-57. 2008..How Abeta-degrading enzymes are regulated remains largely unknown. Cystatin C (CysC, CST3) is an endogenous inhibitor of cysteine proteases, including cathepsin B (CatB), a recently ..
- Characterization of two members (CST4 and CST5) of the cystatin gene family and molecular evolution of cystatin genesE Saitoh
Department of Oral Biochemistry, Nippon Dental University, Niigata, Japan
Agents Actions Suppl 38:340-8. 1992..as that of other members (the cystatin SN gene at the CST1 locus, the cystatin SA gene at the CST2 locus, the cystatin C gene at the CST3 locus and a cystatin pseudogene at the CSTP1 locus)...
- Cystatin 11: a new member of the cystatin type 2 familyKatherine G Hamil
Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Endocrinology 143:2787-96. 2002..After a 2-h incubation of Escherichia coli with 50 microg/ml recombinant CST11 or CST11Delta2, bacterial colony-forming units were reduced to 30% of control, indicating that both forms have antimicrobial activity...
- Age at onset: an essential variable for the definition of genetic risk factors for sporadic Alzheimer's diseaseKatrin Beyer
Department of Pathology, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, 08916 Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1057:260-78. 2005..polymorphisms of the genes of apolipoprotein E (APOE) and its promoter, cathepsin D, butyrylcholinesterase, cystatin C, methionine synthase, and cystathionine beta-synthase...
- The hunt for the perfect biomarker for acute kidney injury: back to gamma-trace?Josephine P Briggs
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Kidney Int 74:987-9. 2008..Perhaps most importantly, a good marker should aid the testing of interventions to prevent development of AKI and improve management. So, there are very good reasons to get on with it!..
- The role of vascular factors in late-onset sporadic Alzheimer's disease. Genetic and molecular aspectsA Rocchi
Department of Neuroscience, Neurological Clinic, University of Pisa, Italy
Curr Alzheimer Res 6:224-37. 2009....
- Genetic pathway-based hierarchical clustering analysis of older adults with cognitive complaints and amnestic mild cognitive impairment using clinical and neuroimaging phenotypesChantel D Sloan
Department of Genetics and Community and Family Medicine, Computational Genetics Laboratory, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 153:1060-9. 2010..The results are consistent with polygenic influences on early neurodegenerative changes and demonstrate the effectiveness of hierarchical clustering in identifying genetic associations among multiple related phenotypic endpoints...
- Association of CR1, CLU and PICALM with Alzheimer's disease in a cohort of clinically characterized and neuropathologically verified individualsJason J Corneveaux
Neurogenomics Division, The Translational Genomics Research Institute Gen, 445 N Fifth Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:3295-301. 2010....
- Interleukin-1alpha regulates antimicrobial peptide expression in human keratinocytesMika Bando
Department of Periodontology and Endodontology, Oral and Maxillofacial Dentistry, Division of Medico Dental Dynamics and Reconstruction, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
Immunol Cell Biol 85:532-7. 2007..On the other hand, HaCaT cells expressed mRNA specific for other AMPs, including cystatin 3, adrenomedullin, RNase-7 and mucin 5, which were unaffected by IL-1alpha treatment...
- Regulation of elastolytic proteases in the mouse vagina during pregnancy, parturition, and puerperiumCecilia K Wieslander
Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Biol Reprod 78:521-8. 2008..are increased after 48 h, a time when mRNA levels of protease inhibitors (tissue inhibitor of MMP2 [Timp2], cystatin C [Cst3], and alpha-1 antitrypsin [Serpina1]) are decreased...
- Systematic analysis of candidate genes for Alzheimer's disease in a French, genome-wide association studyGeoffroy Laumet
INSERM U744, Lille, France
J Alzheimers Dis 20:1181-8. 2010..Of the genes showing nominal association in our cohorts, TFAM and CHRNB2 appear particularly interesting and warrant further genetic and functional follow-up analyses...
- Cleavage of cystatin C in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with multiple sclerosisDavid N Irani
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ann Neurol 59:237-47. 2006..The diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS) can be challenging because of the lack of a specific diagnostic test. Recent advances in proteomics, however, offer new opportunities for biomarker discovery and the study of disease pathogenesis...
- Differential expression of cathepsins and cystatin C in ovine uteroplacental tissuesG Song
Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, 442 Kleberg Center, 2471 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843 2471, USA
Placenta 28:1091-8. 2007..b>Cystatin C (CST3) is a secreted inhibitor of lysosomal cysteine proteases cathepsin B (CTSB) and CTSL...
- Circulating cathepsin K and cystatin C in patients with cancer related bone disease: clinical and therapeutic implicationsFrancesca M Tumminello
Laboratory of Experimental Chemotherapy, Department of Surgery and Oncology, Policlinico Universitario P Giaccone, Via del Vespro 129, 90127 Palermo, Italy
Biomed Pharmacother 62:130-5. 2008The clinical significance of serum cathepsin K and cystatin C was assessed in patients with breast cancer (BCa) or prostate cancer (PCa) with confined disease (M0) or bone metastasis (BM)...
- Cystatin C-based formula is superior to MDRD, Cockcroft-Gault and Nankivell formulae in estimating the glomerular filtration rate in renal allograftsAmmar Qutb
King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Exp Clin Transplant 7:197-202. 2009....
- Cystatin C is independently associated with total and cardiovascular mortality in individuals undergoing coronary angiography. The Ludwigshafen Risk and Cardiovascular Health (LURIC) studyRainer P Woitas
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine I, University of Bonn, Germany
Atherosclerosis 229:541-8. 2013b>Cystatin C is a well established marker of kidney function. There is evidence that cystatin C concentrations are also associated with mortality...
- The relationship between serum fetuin-A, cystatin-C levels, and microalbuminuria in patients with metabolic syndromeBulent Huddam
Department of Nephrology, Ankara Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Clin Lab Anal 27:317-22. 2013..Fetuin-A is a liver derived blood protein that acts as effective inhibitor of soft tissue calcification. Cystatin C is a useful marker in measuring glomerular filtration rate...
- Does intravenous or oral high-dose N-acetylcysteine in addition to saline prevent contrast-induced nephropathy assessed by cystatin C?Mehmet Erturk
Departments of aCardiology bBiochemistry, Mehmet Akif Ersoy Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Training and Research Hospital cDepartment of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Acibadem University, Istanbul, Turkey
Coron Artery Dis 25:111-7. 2014..v.) or oral N-acetylcysteine (NAC) in preventing contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN) in patients with moderate-to-severe renal insufficiency undergoing intra-arterial interventions...
- Association of four CpG-SNPs in the vascular-related genes with coronary heart diseaseLeiting Xu
Zhejiang Provincial Key Laboratory of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, Ningbo University, Ningbo, 315211 Zhejiang, PR China
Biomed Pharmacother 70:80-3. 2015....
- Molecular dynamics simulations of human cystatin C and its L68Q varient to investigate the domain swapping mechanismHsuan Liang Liu
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, National Taipei University of Technology, 1 Sec 3 ZhongXiao E Rd, Taipei, Taiwan 10608
J Biomol Struct Dyn 25:135-44. 2007Human cystatin C variant (L68Q), one of the amyloidgenic proteins, has been shown to form dimeric structure spontaneously via domain swapping and easily cause amyloid deposits in the brains of patients suffering from Alzheimer's disease ..
- The evaluation of cystatin C, IL-1beta, and TNF-alpha levels in total saliva and gingival crevicular fluid from 11- to 16-year-old childrenA Evren Ulker
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Periodontol 79:854-60. 2008The aim of this study was to evaluate the levels of cystatin C, interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta), and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) in the total saliva and gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) of periodontally healthy children (PHC) and ..
- Effects of partner proteins on BCA2 RING ligase activityStephanie Bacopulos
Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, ON, Canada
BMC Cancer 12:63. 2012..We have demonstrated previously that the RING E3 ligase BCA2 has autoubiquitination activity and is a very unstable protein. Previously, only Rab7, tetherin, ubiquitin and UBC9 were known to directly interact with BCA2...
- Deposition of collagen IV and aggrecan in leptomeningeal arteries of hereditary brain haemorrhage with amyloidosisAsbjorg Osk Snorradottir
Institute for Experimental Pathology at Keldur, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland
Brain Res 1535:106-14. 2013Hereditary Cystatin C Amyloid Angiopathy (HCCAA) is a rare genetic disease in Icelandic families caused by a mutation in the cystatin C gene, CST3...
- [Identification of acute leukemia-specific genes from leukemia recipient/sibling donor pairs by distinguishing study with oligonucleotide microarrays]Yi Sun
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Center, Hospital 307, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing 100039, China
Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 12:450-4. 2004..The result has further confirmed that above genes play critical role in the molecular mechanism of acute leukemia...
- Impact of cystatin C levels on infarct size and hemorrhage volume in acute cerebral strokeDongfang Xiao
Department of Neurology, The Affiliated Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, No 36 Sanhao Street, Heping District, Shenyang, 110004, China
J Neurol 259:2053-9. 2012Studies have indicated that serum levels of cystatin C (a sensitive marker of renal function) are significantly associated with cerebral vascular events...
- Are recently reported biomarkers helpful for early and accurate diagnosis of acute kidney injury?Jonatan Barrera-Chimal
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Biomarkers 17:385-93. 2012..studied biomarkers are neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin-2, kidney injury molecule-1, interleukin-18, cystatin C, N-acetyl-β-D-glucosaminidase, liver fatty-acid binding protein, and heat shock protein 72...
- Proteolysis of cystatin C by cathepsin D in the breast cancer microenvironmentValérie Laurent-Matha
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U896, Université Montpellier1, Montpellier, France
FASEB J 26:5172-81. 2012..Here, we show by yeast 2-hybrid and degradomics analyses that cystatin C, the most potent natural secreted inhibitor of cysteine cathepsins, both binds to and is a substrate of ..
- Antimicrobial activity and molecular mechanism of the CRES proteinLi Wang
Department of Histology and Embryology, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 7:e48368. 2012..Previous studies have revealed that other cystatin family members, such as cystatin 3 and cystatin 11, show antibacterial activity in vitro...
- Cystatin C for enhancement of risk stratification in non-ST elevation acute coronary syndrome patients with an increased troponin TFons Windhausen
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 55:1118-25. 2009We assessed the value of cystatin C for improvement of risk stratification in patients with non-ST elevation acute coronary syndrome (nSTE-ACS) and increased cardiac troponin T (cTnT), and we compared the long-term effects of an early ..
- Complexes of amyloid-beta and cystatin C in the human central nervous systemWeiqian Mi
Nathan S Kline Institute, Orangeburg, New York, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 18:273-80. 2009A role for cystatin C (CysC) in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease (AD) has been suggested by the genetic linkage of a CysC gene (CST3) polymorphism with late-onset AD, the co-localization of CysC with amyloid-beta (Abeta) in AD ..
- Effect of hypo-and euthyroid status on serum cystatin C levelsTülin Ayşe Ozden
Istanbul University Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Gastroenterolgy Hepatology and Nutrition Unit, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2:155-8. 2010The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of hypo- and euthyroid status on serum cystatin C (CysC) levels in children and to explore whether CysC can be used as a marker of the thyroid status.
- Coordinated involvement of cathepsins S, D and cystatin C in the commitment of hematopoietic stem cells to dendritic cellsSabata Martino
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, University of Perugia, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:775-83. 2011..Additionally, cystatin C orchestrates cathepsin S expression through a tight but reversible interaction that, based on a screen of adult ..
- The Role of Cystatin C in Acute Kidney InjuryJay L Koyner; Fiscal Year: 2013..In order to improve patient outcomes in the setting of AKI we seek to 1) further define the role of Cystatin C (CyC) in 2 distinct settings of AKI 2) improve our understanding of the genetic factors that control CyC ..
- Distress, Saliva Composition and Saliva FunctionsJOS BOSCH; Fiscal Year: 2006..By comparing saliva composition and functions in individuals that report low vs. high levels of depressive symptoms, this study investigates a novel pathway linking stress to oral infectious disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BETAAPP MODULATION BY THE ADAPTER PROTEINS FE65 AND X11Efrat Levy; Fiscal Year: 2003..Manipulating the interaction of Beta-APP with an effector protein, such as X11 or Fe65, may provide a novel approach for the pharmacological modulation of Beta-APP processing in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Animal models for cerebral amyloid angiopathyEfrat Levy; Fiscal Year: 2006A L68Q variant cystatin C forms the amyloid deposited in cerebral vessel walls of patients with hereditary cerebral hemorrhage with amyloidosis, Icelandic type...
- Heart Failure Incidence and Progression in Renal DiseaseMichael Shlipak; Fiscal Year: 2008..In persons with established heart failure and CRI, the combination of proBNP, hsCRP, and troponin-T may be optimal for risk stratification and informing long-term prognosis. ..
- Elucidating the Kidney's Role in Cardiovascular RiskMichael Shlipak; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Chronic Kidney Disease with Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaANDREW RULE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Based on preliminary data, a significant association between BPH surrogate measures and CKD is expected. This study will clarify whether earlier assessment and intervention in BPH is warranted to prevent CKD. ..
- Metabolic Syndrome and Cognitive ImpairmentKristine Yaffe; Fiscal Year: 2005..If elders with metabolic syndrome have increased risk of developing cognitive impairment, this would have important clinical and public health significance. ..
- Genetic Regulation of Postnatal Uterine Morphogenesis and FunctionThomas Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will help determine important genes for reproduction and help to design clinical therapies to prevent, identify and treat reproductive problems in women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SEARCH FOR NOVEL EARLY-ONSET ALZHEIMER'S GENESLars Bertram; Fiscal Year: 2007..While we have devised a strategy that integrates the best available methods to identify complex disease genes, we will routinely adjust our strategy to account for methodologic advances in this rapidly evolving field. ..
- Pinitol a Natural Extract from Pine Cones and Alzheimer's DiseaseGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Sex Hormones, Related Polymorphisms & Cognitive DeclineKristine Yaffe; Fiscal Year: 2006..Further knowledge of the association between sex hormones, hormone-related polymorphisms and cognitive decline may facilitate preventative strategies to maintain independence and to promote optimum brain aging. ..
- CYCLOOXYGENASE AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS IN ADGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2001..The outcome of the proposed studies will be immediately relevant to the design of human trials. ..
- Cell Cycle and COX-2 in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer'sGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MECHANISMS REGULATING UTERINE MORPHOGENESISThomas Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- COMPLEMENT AND NEUROPROTECTION: ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEGiulio Pasinetti; Fiscal Year: 2002..Further characterization of the complex role of complement proteins in neurodegeneration is essential especially in view of the possibility that the complement system represents a target for therapeutic interventions in AD. ..
- ESTROGEN COMPOUNDS, COGNITION & DEMENTIA IN OLDER WOMENKristine Yaffe; Fiscal Year: 2002..This award will foster the applicant's development towards becoming an independent investigator in aging research. ..