Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: COMT
Alias: HEL-S-98n, catechol O-methyltransferase, catechol-O-methyltransferase isoform, epididymis secretory sperm binding protein Li 98n, testicular tissue protein Li 42
Publications369 found, 100 shown here
- Catechol O-methyltransferase val158-met polymorphism is associated with abdominal obesity and blood pressure in menKristina Annerbrink
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Goteborg University, and Institute of Medicine, Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Metabolism 57:708-11. 2008Catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) degrades catecholamines and estrogens, both of which are of known importance for cardiovascular risk factors such as obesity and hypertension...
- MTHFR 677C --> T genotype disrupts prefrontal function in schizophrenia through an interaction with COMT 158Val --> MetJoshua L Roffman
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17573-8. 2008..The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) 158Val --> Met polymorphism (rs4680), which affects the availability of prefrontal dopamine signaling, ..
- Biopsychosocial influence on exercise-induced delayed onset muscle soreness at the shoulder: pain catastrophizing and catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) diplotype predict pain ratingsSteven Z George
Department of Physical Therapy, Brooks Center for Rehabilitation Studies, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0154, USA
Clin J Pain 24:793-801. 2008..A previous study suggested pain catastrophizing and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype influenced clinical pain ratings for patients seeking operative treatment of shoulder pain...
- Association between catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) haplotypes and severity of hyperactivity symptoms in adultsH Halleland
Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 150:403-10. 2009..The enzyme catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT), which degrades dopamine and other catecholamines, is important for monoamine signaling in this brain-region, but ..
- The effect of catechol-O-methyltransferase Met/Val functional polymorphism on smoking cessation: retrospective and prospective analyses in a cohort studyMaryam Omidvar
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:45-51. 2009The Met/Val functional polymorphism of the gene-encoding catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is one of the most widely tested variants for association with different phenotypes of addictive behavior, but replication has been inconsistent ..
- Effect of COMT Val108/158 Met genotype on frontal lobe function and risk for schizophreniaM F Egan
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Building 10, Center Drive, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:6917-22. 2001..the relationship of a common functional polymorphism (Val(108/158) Met) in the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, which accounts for a 4-fold variation in enzyme activity and dopamine catabolism, with both prefrontally ..
- Neural substrates of pleiotropic action of genetic variation in COMT: a meta-analysisD Mier
Department for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Germany
Mol Psychiatry 15:918-27. 2010Genetic variation in catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), encoding an enzyme critical for prefrontal dopamine flux, has been studied extensively using both behavioral and neuroimaging methods...
- Human catechol-O-methyltransferase pharmacogenetics: description of a functional polymorphism and its potential application to neuropsychiatric disordersH M Lachman
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Pharmacogenetics 6:243-50. 1996Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inactivates catecholamines and catechol drugs such as L-DOPA...
- Catechol-o-methyltransferase, cognition, and psychosis: Val158Met and beyondElizabeth M Tunbridge
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 60:141-51. 2006This review summarizes our current understanding of catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) and how it relates to brain function and schizophrenia...
- Genetic basis for individual variations in pain perception and the development of a chronic pain conditionLuda Diatchenko
Comprehensive Center for Inflammatory Disorders, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Hum Mol Genet 14:135-43. 2005..We identified three genetic variants (haplotypes) of the gene encoding catecholamine-O-methyltransferase (COMT) that we designated as low pain sensitivity (LPS), average pain sensitivity (APS) and high pain sensitivity (HPS)...
- The distinct cognitive syndromes of Parkinson's disease: 5 year follow-up of the CamPaIGN cohortCaroline H Williams-Gray
Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge, Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge, CB2 0PY, UK
Brain 132:2958-69. 2009..the development of cognitive dysfunction in Parkinson's disease, namely the genes for catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT Val(158)Met) and microtubule-associated protein tau (MAPT) H1/H2...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase val158met genotype affects processing of emotional stimuli in the amygdala and prefrontal cortexMichael N Smolka
Central Institute of Mental Health, 68159 Mannheim, Germany
J Neurosci 25:836-42. 2005Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) degrades the catecholamine neurotransmitters dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. A functional polymorphism in the COMT gene (val158met) accounts for a fourfold variation in enzyme activity...
- Moderation of the effect of adolescent-onset cannabis use on adult psychosis by a functional polymorphism in the catechol-O-methyltransferase gene: longitudinal evidence of a gene X environment interactionAvshalom Caspi
Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 57:1117-27. 2005..The vast majority of cannabis users do not develop psychosis, however, prompting us to hypothesize that some people are genetically vulnerable to the deleterious effects of cannabis...
- Tolcapone effects on gating, working memory, and mood interact with the synonymous catechol-O-methyltransferase rs4818c/g polymorphismPanos Roussos
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Crete, Greece
Biol Psychiatry 66:997-1004. 2009The functional catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) valine158methionine (val158met) polymorphism determines prepulse inhibition (PPI) levels and working memory performance and the effects of tolcapone on these functions...
- COMT Val158Met Genotype and Individual Differences in Executive Function in Healthy AdultsHeather A Wishart
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756 0001, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 17:174-80. 2011The Val158Met polymorphism of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene may be related to individual differences in cognition, likely via modulation of prefrontal dopamine catabolism...
- COMT Val(158)Met genotype determines the direction of cognitive effects produced by catechol-O-methyltransferase inhibitionSarah M Farrell
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 71:538-44. 2012Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) metabolizes dopamine. The COMT Val(158)Met polymorphism influences its activity, and multiple neural correlates of this genotype on dopaminergic phenotypes, especially working memory, have been reported...
- The impact of the Val158Met catechol-O-methyltransferase genotype on neural correlates of sad facial affect processing in patients with bipolar disorder and their relativesG Lelli-Chiesa
Section of Neurobiology of Psychosis, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
Psychol Med 41:779-88. 2011The Met allele of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) valine-to-methionine (Val158Met) polymorphism is known to affect dopamine-dependent affective regulation within amygdala-prefrontal cortical (PFC) networks...
- Stress-related methylation of the catechol-O-methyltransferase Val 158 allele predicts human prefrontal cognition and activityGianluca Ursini
Psychiatric Neuroscience Group, Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University Aldo Moro, 71024 Bari, Italy
J Neurosci 31:6692-8. 2011..The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) Val(158) allele in rs4680 is associated with differential enzyme activity, stress responsivity, and prefrontal ..
- Catechol O-methyltransferase mRNA expression in human and rat brain: evidence for a role in cortical neuronal functionM Matsumoto
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, NIH, 10 Center Drive 4N312, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuroscience 116:127-37. 2003Catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) is involved in the inactivation of catecholamines, including the neurotransmitter dopamine...
- COMT genotype predicts cortical-limbic D1 receptor availability measured with [11C]NNC112 and PETM Slifstein
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Mol Psychiatry 13:821-7. 2008A common polymorphism (val158met) in the gene encoding catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) has been shown to affect dopamine (DA) tone in cortex and cortical functioning...
- Catechol O-methyltransferase val158met genotype and neural mechanisms related to affective arousal and regulationEmily M Drabant
Genes, Cognition, and Psychosis Program, Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health DHHS, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:1396-406. 2006Catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT), the major enzyme determining cortical dopamine flux, has a common functional polymorphism (val(158)met) that affects prefrontal function and working memory capacity and has also been associated with ..
- Aversive stimuli lead to differential amygdala activation and connectivity patterns depending on catechol-O-methyltransferase Val158Met genotypeB Rasch
University of Basel, Department of Psychology, Division of Molecular Psychology, Basel, Switzerland
Neuroimage 52:1712-9. 2010The functional Val158Met polymorphism in the gene coding for the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), the major enzyme degrading the catecholaminergic neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine, has been associated with ..
- Association of catechol-O-methyltransferase genetic variants with outcome in patients undergoing surgical treatment for lumbar degenerative disc diseaseFeng Dai
Molecular Epidemiology of Pain Program, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Spine J 10:949-57. 2010..Genetic variation of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene has been associated with variation in human pain sensitivity and response to analgesics in previous studies.
- Effects of two dopamine-modulating genes (DAT1 9/10 and COMT Val/Met) on n-back working memory performance in healthy volunteersM M Blanchard
Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Psychol Med 41:611-8. 2011..The dopamine transporter and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) are proteins involved in dopamine clearance and the dopamine system is implicated in the modulation of working ..
- 5-HTTLPR and COMTval158met genotype gate amygdala reactivity and habituationTina B Lonsdorf
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Biol Psychol 87:106-12. 2011..evidence that different amygdala habituation curves may partly underlie the differences between 5-HTTLPR and not COMT genotype groups. Further, exploratory analyses find no evidence for additive or interaction effects...
- Deficiency in catechol-O-methyltransferase and 2-methoxyoestradiol is associated with pre-eclampsiaKeizo Kanasaki
Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nature 453:1117-21. 2008..Here we show that pregnant mice deficient in catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) show a pre-eclampsia-like phenotype resulting from an absence of 2-methoxyoestradiol (2-ME), a natural metabolite ..
- Effect of catechol-O-methyltransferase val158met genotype on attentional controlGiuseppe Blasi
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1379, USA
J Neurosci 25:5038-45. 2005..ratio and that dopaminergic tone in the frontal cortex is critically dependent on catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT)...
- Tolcapone improves cognition and cortical information processing in normal human subjectsJose A Apud
Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20854, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:1011-20. 2007..Recently, the demonstration that a functional polymorphism in the catecholamine-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene impacts prefrontal cognition raises the possibility of a novel pharmacological approach for the treatment of ..
- COMT val108/158 met genotype affects neural but not cognitive processing in healthy individualsNancy A Dennis
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Cereb Cortex 20:672-83. 2010The relationship between cognition and a functional polymorphism in the catechol-O-methlytransferase (COMT) gene, val108/158met, is one of debate in the literature...
- COMT Val108/158 Met modifies mismatch negativity and cognitive function in 22q11 deletion syndromeKate Baker
Behavioural and Brain Sciences Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 58:23-31. 2005..We further predicted that the catechol-O-methyltransferase Val(108/158)Met polymorphism, located within the deleted chromosomal segment, would modify the severity of endophenotypic features...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotypes and working memory: associations with differing cognitive operationsGerard E Bruder
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:901-7. 2005Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is a strong candidate gene for schizophrenia and cognitive functions disrupted in this disorder...
- Clinical involvement of catechol-O-methyltransferase polymorphisms in schizophrenia spectrum disorders: influence on the severity of psychotic symptoms and on the response to neuroleptic treatmentP Molero
Department of Psychiatry, University Clinic of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Pharmacogenomics J 7:418-26. 2007Genetic variation in the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene may influence the susceptibility to schizophrenia and the response to neuroleptic treatment...
- The val158met COMT polymorphism's effect on atrophy in healthy aging and Parkinson's diseaseJ B Rowe
University of Cambridge, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Cambridge, UK
Neurobiol Aging 31:1064-8. 2010..There were no global or local interactions between Parkinson's disease and COMT val(158)met genotype on morphometry...
- Opposite effects of catechol-O-methyltransferase Val158Met on cortical function in healthy subjects and patients with schizophreniaDiana P Prata
Division of Psychological Medicine and Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 65:473-80. 2009Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is essential for dopamine metabolism in the brain, and normal variation in the COMT Val158Met polymorphism can influence regional brain function during cognitive tasks...
- Epistatic and functional interactions of catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) and AKT1 on neuregulin1-ErbB signaling in cell modelsYoshitatsu Sei
Clinical Brain Disorder Branch, Genes, Cognition, and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e10789. 2010..reported that NRG1-stimulated migration of B lymphoblasts is PI3K-AKT1dependent and impaired in patients with schizophrenia and significantly linked to the catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) Val108/158Met functional polymorphism.
- COMT Val158Met-stress interaction in psychosis: role of background psychosis riskDina Collip
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, South Limburg Mental Health Research and Teaching Network, EURON, School for Mental Health and NeuroScience MHeNS Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
CNS Neurosci Ther 17:612-9. 2011The interplay between the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) Val158Met polymorphism and environmental stress may have etiological relevance for psychosis, but differential effects have been reported in healthy control and patient groups, ..
- Genotype link with extreme antisocial behavior: the contribution of cognitive pathwaysKate Langley
Department of Psychological Medicine and Neurology, Cardiff University, Wales, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:1317-23. 2010..The high-activity COMT genotype, in the presence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), has previously been shown to be ..
- COMT genetic variants and painInna Belfer
Molecular Epidemiology of Pain Program, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 47:457-67. 2011Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) metabolizes catechol neurotransmitters dopamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline that are involved in various physiological functions including mood, cognition and stress response...
- No association between COMT val158met polymorphism and suicidal behavior: meta-analysis and new dataCarlos Tovilla-Zarate
Universidad Juarez Autonoma de Tabasco, División Académica Multidisciplinaria de Comalcalco, Comalcalco, Tabasco, Mexico
BMC Psychiatry 11:151. 2011..The objective of this study was to examine the association between COMT val158met with suicidal behavior in a case-control study and to assess the combined evidence -this case-control ..
- The relationship between a common catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) polymorphism val(158) met and fibromyalgiaH Cohen
Ministry of Health Mental Health Center, Anxiety and Stress Research Unit, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Clin Exp Rheumatol 27:S51-6. 2009..Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is the major catecholamine-clearing pathway and involved in the mediation of pain perception in humans, and the ..
- COMT val158met genotype affects mu-opioid neurotransmitter responses to a pain stressorJon Kar Zubieta
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health Research Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0720, USA
Science 299:1240-3. 2003..Individuals homozygous for the met158 allele of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) polymorphism (val158met) showed diminished regional mu-opioid system responses to pain compared with heterozygotes...
- Genetic origins of anxiety in women: a role for a functional catechol-O-methyltransferase polymorphismMARY ANNE ENOCH
Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Psychiatr Genet 13:33-41. 2003....
- COMT val158met genotype affects recruitment of neural mechanisms supporting fluid intelligenceSonia J Bishop
Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
Cereb Cortex 18:2132-40. 2008..phenotype" approach, we assessed effects of a polymorphism (val(158)met) in the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene on activity within this network and on actual task performance during spatial and verbal g(f) tasks...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase val158met genotype influences neural processing of reward anticipationKatharina Schmack
Department of Psychiatry, Charite University Medicine, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Neuroimage 42:1631-8. 2008..The common polymorphism val(158)met of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) accounts for significant interindividual variations in dopamine (DA) degradation, although the direct effect of ..
- Effect of catechol-O-methyltransferase polymorphism on response to propranolol therapy in chronic musculoskeletal pain: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover pilot studyInna E Tchivileva
Center for Neurosensory Disorders, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 20:239-48. 2010Three common haplotypes in the gene encoding catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) have been associated with pain modulation and the risk of developing chronic musculoskeletal pain, namely temporomandibular disorder (TMD)...
- Association between a functional catechol O-methyltransferase gene polymorphism and schizophrenia: meta-analysis of case-control and family-based studiesStephen J Glatt
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School at Massachusetts Mental Health Center and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02115, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:469-76. 2003..The authors' goal was to evaluate the collective evidence for an association between the Val158/108Met polymorphism of the catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene and schizophrenia.
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase gene Val/Met functional polymorphism and risk of schizophrenia: a large-scale association study plus meta-analysisJin Bo Fan
Institute for Nutritional Sciences, SIBS, Chinese Academy of Sciences Bio X Life Science Research Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
Biol Psychiatry 57:139-44. 2005A common functional polymorphism (Val/Met) in the catechol-O-methyltransferase gene (COMT) that markedly affects enzyme activity has been shown to affect executive cognition and the physiology of the prefrontal cortex in humans...
- Relationship between dopamine system genes and extraversion and novelty seekingV E Golimbet
Scientific Center for Mental Health, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow
Neurosci Behav Physiol 37:601-6. 2007..The aim of the present work was to seek associations between polymorphisms in the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) and D4 dopamine receptor (DRD4) genes and personality traits in the Russian population...
- Candidate gene studies of ADHD: a meta-analytic reviewIan R Gizer
Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 120 Mason Farm Road, Room 5015 Genetic Medicine Building CB 7264, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7264, USA
Hum Genet 126:51-90. 2009..g., ADHD subtype diagnoses, gender, exposure to environmental risk factors). We conclude with a discussion of these findings in relation to emerging themes relevant to future studies of the genetics of ADHD...
- The risk of posttraumatic stress disorder after trauma depends on traumatic load and the catechol-o-methyltransferase Val(158)Met polymorphismIris Tatjana Kolassa
University of Konstanz, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 67:304-8. 2010..The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) Val158Met polymorphism has been found to affect fear extinction and might play a role in the etiology of anxiety ..
- A functional polymorphism in the COMT gene and performance on a test of prefrontal cognitionAnil K Malhotra
Unit of Molecular Psychiatry, Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:652-4. 2002In the prefrontal cortex, the enzyme catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) is critical in the metabolic degradation of dopamine, a neurotransmitter hypothesized to influence human cognitive function...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase val108/158met genotype predicts working memory response to antipsychotic medicationsThomas W Weickert
National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Mental Health, Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Building 10, Room 4C 101, MSC 1379, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:677-82. 2004The gene encoding catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), an enzyme that regulates prefrontal cortex dopamine, contains a common functional polymorphism (val(108/158)met) that influences prefrontal cortex function in an allelic dose-..
- Molecular genetics support Gray's personality theory: the interaction of COMT and DRD2 polymorphisms predicts the behavioural approach systemMartin Reuter
Centre of Psychobiology and Behavioral Medicine, Department of Psychology, University of Giessen, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 9:155-66. 2006..It was investigated whether the DRD2 TaqIA and the COMT polymorphisms were related to the dimensions of Gray's personality theory, as measured by the Carver and White BIS/..
- Hypomethylation of MB-COMT promoter is a major risk factor for schizophrenia and bipolar disorderHamid Mostafavi Abdolmaleky
Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts Mental Health Center and Harvard Institute of Psychiatric Epidemiology and Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:3132-45. 2006..Here, we report the investigation of the differential activity of membrane-bound catechol-O-methyltransferase (MB-COMT) due to altered promoter methylation and the nature of the contribution of COMT Val158Met polymorphism as risk ..
- Breast cancer: a candidate gene approach across the estrogen metabolic pathwayChristina Justenhoven
Molecular Mechanisms of Origin and Treatment of Breast Cancer, Dr Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Auerbachstrasse 112, Stuttgart, Germany
Breast Cancer Res Treat 108:137-49. 2008..Of these CYP17A1, CYP19A1, EPHX1, HSD17B1, SRD5A2, and PPARG2 participate in biosynthesis, CYP1A1, CYP1B1, COMT, GSTP1, and SOD2 in catabolism and detoxification...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase gene haplotypes in Mexican and Spanish patients with fibromyalgiaGilberto Vargas-Alarcon
National Institute of Cardiology, Juan Badiano 1, Mexico City 14080, Mexico
Arthritis Res Ther 9:R110. 2007..Catecholamines are sympathetic neurotransmitters. Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), an enzyme, is the major catecholamine-clearing pathway...
- The association between panic disorder and the L/L genotype of catechol-O-methyltransferaseJong Min Woo
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Inje University Seoul Paik Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Psychiatr Res 38:365-70. 2004To clarify the role of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) polymorphism in panic disorder (PD), we investigated a large group of Korean PD patients (N = 178) and controls (N = 182) using a case-control study...
- Increased sensitivity to thermal pain following a single opiate dose is influenced by the COMT val(158)met polymorphismKarin B Jensen
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Stockholm Brain Institute, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS ONE 4:e6016. 2009..The functional polymorphism (val(158)met) of the Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene regulates the metabolism of dopamine/noradrenaline...
- Catechol O-methyltransferase variants and cognitive performance in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder versus controlsKatrine V Wirgenes
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Schizophr Res 122:31-7. 2010The gene encoding Catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT), a dopamine catabolic enzyme, is an important candidate gene in several psychiatric disorders...
- The effects of catechol-O-methyl-transferase polymorphism Val158Met on functional connectivity in healthy young females: a resting EEG studyTien Wen Lee
Department of Psychiatry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan County, Taiwan, Republic of China
Brain Res 1377:21-31. 2011The catechol-O-methyl-transferase (COMT) gene has been linked to a wide spectrum of human phenotypes, including cognition, affective response, pain sensitivity, anxiety and psychosis...
- Importance of the COMT gene for sex differences in brain function and predisposition to psychiatric disordersElizabeth M Tunbridge
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Neurosciences Building, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, OX3 7JX, UK
Curr Top Behav Neurosci 8:119-40. 2011..The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, which encodes an enzyme that metabolises catechol compounds, including dopamine, is a leading candidate in ..
- Role of novelty seeking personality traits as mediator of the association between COMT and onset age of drug use in Chinese heroin dependent patientsTing Li
Shanghai Mental Health Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e22923. 2011..Personality traits such as novelty seeking (NS) are associated with substance dependence but the mechanism underlying this association remains uncertain. Previous studies have focused on the role of the dopamine pathway...
- The association of catechol-O-methyltransferase genotype with the phenotype of women with eating disordersElzbieta Mikołajczyk
Department of Psychiatry, Pomeranian Medical University, Broniewskiego 26 71 460, Szczecin, Poland
Brain Res 1307:142-8. 2010..has been the analysis of association between eating disorders of anorexia or bulimia type and two polymorphisms of COMT gene...
- Effects of modafinil on the sleep EEG depend on Val158Met genotype of COMTSereina Bodenmann
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Sleep 33:1027-35. 2010..cerebral dopaminergic neurotransmission, which importantly depends on activity of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) in prefrontal cortex. The effects of modafinil on sleep homeostasis in humans are unknown...
- Long forms of the dopamine receptor (DRD4) gene VNTR are more prevalent in substance abusers: no interaction with functional alleles of the catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) geneD J Vandenbergh
Molecular Neurobiology Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Am J Med Genet 96:678-83. 2000..samples, and there is no interaction of DRD4 alleles with those of the catecholamine-o-methyl- transferase gene (COMT) that we previously identified to be more frequent in substance abusers than controls [Vandenbergh, et al...
- Association between Val108/158 Met polymorphism of the COMT gene and schizophreniaIkwunga Wonodi
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21228, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 120:47-50. 2003..An attractive candidate gene for schizophrenia is the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, which is a modulator of dorsolateral prefrontal cortical function...
- COMT genotype predicts longitudinal cognitive decline and psychosis in 22q11.2 deletion syndromeDoron Gothelf
Center for Interdisciplinary Brain Sciences Research, Stanford University School of Medicine, 401 Quarry Road, Stanford, California 94305 5795, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:1500-2. 2005..2 deletion syndrome, we identified the catechol-O-methyltransferase low-activity allele (COMT(L)) as a risk factor for decline in prefrontal cortical volume and cognition, as well as for the consequent ..
- Polymorphisms in estrogen bioactivation, detoxification and oxidative DNA base excision repair genes and prostate cancer riskNora L Nock
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Carcinogenesis 27:1842-8. 2006..However, catechol estrogens, if not inactivated by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), can generate large quantities of reactive oxygen species (ROS)...
- A possible association between the Val158Met polymorphism of the catechol-O-methyl transferase gene and the personality trait of harm avoidance in Japanese healthy subjectsRyota Hashimoto
The Osaka Hamamatsu Joint Research Center for Child Mental Development, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Neurosci Lett 428:17-20. 2007Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is an enzyme that degrades various biogenic amines, which have been hypothesized to be associated with personality traits...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase Val158Met polymorphism is associated with methylphenidate response in ADHD childrenEva Kereszturi
Institute of Medical Chemistry, Molecular Biology and Pathobiochemistry, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:1431-5. 2008..pharmacogenetic analyses showed significant role of the high activity Val-allele of cathecol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) Val158Met polymorphism in our ADHD population...
- Differential association of the COMT Val158Met polymorphism with clinical phenotypes in schizophrenia and bipolar disorderVina M Goghari
Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, United States
Schizophr Res 103:186-91. 2008..This study assessed whether the COMT Val158Met polymorphism has shared or specific associations with clinical phenotypes evident in schizophrenia and ..
- Effects of catechol-O-methyltransferase on normal variation in the cognitive function of childrenJennifer H Barnett
Department of Psychiatryand the Centre for Family Research, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Am J Psychiatry 166:909-16. 2009..A functional valine-to-methionine (Val(158)Met) polymorphism in the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene has been associated with cognitive function and brain metabolic activity accompanying such tasks...
- Haplotypes of catechol-O-methyltransferase modulate intelligence-related brain white matter integrityBing Liu
LIAMA Center for Computational Medicine, National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, PR China
Neuroimage 50:243-9. 2010..In this study, we assess whether and how catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene polymorphisms affect brain white matter integrity...
- Association between COMT, PTSD, and increased smoking following hurricane exposure in an epidemiologic sampleAnanda B Amstadter
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, USA
Psychiatry 72:360-9. 2009..and persistence of cigarette smoking is moderately heritable; two recent investigations have implicated the COMT Val158Met (also known as rs4680) polymorphism in smoking age of initiation, dependence, as well as in quantity and ..
- COMT Val158Met polymorphism and breast cancer risk: evidence from 26 case-control studiesHaixia Ding
Department of Geriatrics, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, 300 Guangzhou Road, 210029 Nanjing, China
Breast Cancer Res Treat 123:265-70. 2010The Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) plays an important role in the development of breast cancer. Many previous epidemiologic studies explored the association of COMT Val158Met polymorphism with breast cancer susceptibility...
- Apolipoprotein E (APOE), PARKIN and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genes and susceptibility to sporadic Parkinson's disease in FinlandJ Eerola
Department of Neurology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, and University of Helsinki, Biomedicum Helsinki, Neuroscience Programme C524, PL 700, Haartmaninkatu 8, Helsinki, Finland
Neurosci Lett 330:296-8. 2002..It has been suggested that polymorphisms in apolipoprotein E (APOE), PARKIN and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genes might increase the risk of PD...
- Association of the COMT val158met variant with antidepressant treatment response in major depressionBernhard T Baune
Department of Psychiatry, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:924-32. 2008In several previous biochemical, pharmacological, and genetic studies, the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) has been suggested to be involved in the pathogenesis as well as the pharmacological treatment of affective disorders...
- The impact of the catechol-O-methyltransferase Val158Met polymorphism on survival in the general population--the HUNT studyKnut Hagen
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
BMC Med Genet 8:34. 2007The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene contains a functional polymorphism, Val158Met which has been related to common diseases like cancer, psychiatric illness and myocardial infarction...
- Evidence for a biopsychosocial influence on shoulder pain: pain catastrophizing and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) diplotype predict clinical pain ratingsSteven Z George
Department of Physical Therapy, Brooks Center for Rehabilitation Studies, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Pain 136:53-61. 2008..investigated whether psychological variables specific to fear-avoidance models and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype influenced pain ratings for a cohort of patients receiving operative treatment of shoulder pain...
- The impact of catechol-O-methyltransferase SNPs and haplotypes on treatment response phenotypes in major depressive disorder: a case-control association studyNeslihan Aygun Kocabas
aFonds de la Recherche Scientifique FNRS, Laboratoire de Neurologie Expérimentale, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Bruxelles, Belgium
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 25:218-27. 2010Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) has been suggested to be involved in the pathogenesis and pharmacological treatment of affective disorders...
- Interaction between serotonin transporter gene, catechol-O-methyltransferase gene and stressful life events in mood disordersLaura Mandelli
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 10:437-47. 2007..genes: the serotonin receptor 1A (5-HT1A), the dopamine receptor D4 (DRD4) and the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT). The sample was composed of 686 Italian subjects, affected by major depression and bipolar disorder...
- A replicated molecular genetic basis for subtyping antisocial behavior in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderAvshalom Caspi
Medical Research Council Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:203-10. 2008..Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a heterogeneous neurodevelopmental disorder that in some cases is accompanied by antisocial behavior...
- Variation in dopamine genes influences responsivity of the human reward systemJean Claude Dreher
Section on Integrative Neuroimaging, Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1365, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:617-22. 2009..is influenced by functional polymorphisms in the dopamine transporter (DAT1) and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genes...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase haplotypes are associated with psychosis in Alzheimer diseaseR A Sweet
Division of Geriatrics and Neuropsychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Mol Psychiatry 10:1026-36. 2005..of a three-locus haplotype, including a G-->A transition at codon 108/158 of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) resulting in a Val-->Met substitution, has been reported to confer an increased risk for schizophrenia...
- Human catechol-O-methyltransferase haplotypes modulate protein expression by altering mRNA secondary structureA G Nackley
Center for Neurosensory Disorders, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Science 314:1930-3. 2006Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is a key regulator of pain perception, cognitive function, and affective mood...
- Role of the COMT gene Val158Met polymorphism in mental disorders: a reviewLadislav Hosak
Department of Psychiatry, Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Eur Psychiatry 22:276-81. 2007The Val158Met polymorphism of the COMT gene is functional, easily detectable, and significantly related to metabolism of catecholamines, which underlie pathogenesis of a significant number of mental disorders...
- Association between catechol-O-methyltransferase functional polymorphism and male suicide completersHisae Ono
Division of Psychiatry and Neurology, Department of Environmental Health and Safety, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1374-7. 2004..Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) 158Val/Met polymorphism (GenBank Accession No...
- Association of COMT Val108/158Met genotype with smoking cessationMarcus R Munafo
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, UK
Pharmacogenet Genomics 18:121-8. 2008We attempted to extend a previous finding of an association of COMT genotype with response to nicotine-replacement therapy (NRT), in a larger cohort of treatment-seeking smokers, with greater statistical power to detect possible ..
- No association between Parkinson's disease and low-activity alleles of catechol O-methyltransferaseF Hoda
Section of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 228:780-4. 1996..deficit by the use of levodopa and inhibitors of dopamine metabolising enzymes such as catechol-O-methytransferase (COMT)...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase and Parkinson's diseaseChun Hwi Tai
Department of Neurology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei
Acta Med Okayama 56:1-6. 2002..The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors represent a new class of antiparkinsonian drugs...
- Meta-analysis of the association between the catecholamine-O-methyl-transferase gene and obsessive-compulsive disorderAmin Azzam
University of California, San Francisco, California 92093 0810, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 123:64-9. 2003..The dopaminergic system has been implicated in the pathogenesis of OCD, and catecholamine-O-methyl-transferase (COMT) is a key modulator of dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurotransmission...
- Polymorphisms in the MAOA, MAOB, and COMT genes and aggressive behavior in schizophreniaStanley Zammit
Department of Psychological Medicine, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, Wales, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 128:19-20. 2004Some studies have reported associations between COMT and MAO genotypes and aggression, though results have been inconsistent...
- The effect of CYP19 and COMT polymorphisms on exercise-induced fat loss in postmenopausal womenShelley S Tworoger
Channing Laboratory, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Obes Res 12:972-81. 2004..n = 7 to 13 and a 3-base pair deletion, which is in strong linkage disequilibrium with the seven repeat] and COMT (Val108/158Met) modified the change in BMI, total and percentage body fat, or subcutaneous and intra-abdominal fat ..
- COMT (Val158Met) polymorphism is not associated to neuropathic pain in a Spanish populationPilar Armero
Unidad de Medicina Molecular, Departamento de Medicina, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain
Eur J Pain 9:229-32. 2005..Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is one of the enzymes that metabolize catecholamine neurotransmitters...
- Gene-gene interaction between MAOA and COMT in suicidal behaviorVincenzo De Luca
Neurogenetics Section, Clarke Site, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ont, Canada
Neurosci Lett 383:151-4. 2005..Noradrenaline (NA) is catabolized by monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) and cathecol-O-methyl transferase (COMT)...
- The 108M polymorph of human catechol O-methyltransferase is prone to deformation at physiological temperaturesKaren Rutherford
Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7610, USA
Biochemistry 45:2178-88. 2006The human gene for catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) contains a common polymorphism that results in substitution of methionine (M) for valine (V) at residue 108 of the soluble form of the protein...
- Catechol-o-methyltransferase gene polymorphism modifies the effect of coffee intake on incidence of acute coronary eventsPertti Happonen
Department of Public Health, School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
PLoS ONE 1:e117. 2006..We examined whether the relationship between coffee intake and incidence of CHD events is dependent on the metabolism of circulating catecholamines, as determined by functional polymorphism of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene.
- Association of functional catechol O-methyl transferase (COMT) Val108Met polymorphism with smoking severity and age of smoking initiation in Chinese male smokersSong Guo
Institute of Mental Health, Peking University, Beijing, 100083, China
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 190:449-56. 2007Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is an enzyme involved in the degradation and inactivation of the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is important in mediating drug reward such as nicotine in tobacco smoke...
- Genetic polymorphisms in dopamine-related genes and smoking cessation in women: a prospective cohort studyThanh G N Ton
Department of Neurology, University of Washington, Box 359775, 325 Ninth Ave, Suite 3EH70, Seattle, WA 98195 9775, USA
Behav Brain Funct 3:22. 2007..We hypothesized that alleles associated with reduced dopaminergic neurotransmission would be more common in continuing smokers than among women who quit smoking...
- Differential effect of catechol-O-methyltransferase Val158Met genotype on emotional recognition abilities in healthy men and womenElisabeth M Weiss
Department of General Psychiatry, Innsbruck Medical, Innsbruck, Austria
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:881-7. 2007The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) Val158Met polymorphism modulates executive functions and working memory and recent neuroimaging studies implicate an association with emotional processing...
- Meta-analyses suggest association between COMT, but not HTR1B, alleles, and suicidal behaviorBrett M Kia-Keating
Department of Psychiatry, Institute of Behavioral Genomics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:1048-53. 2007..have been highlighted in the literature as being involved are HTR1B, which codes for the serotonin 1B receptor, and COMT, which is related to the inactivation of catecholamines...
- Catechol-o-Methyltansferase and Breast CancerJAMES YAGER; Fiscal Year: 2007..CEs are primarily inactivated by O-methylation catalyzed by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT)...
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF CANNABIS EFFECTSDEEPAK D SOUZA; Fiscal Year: 2009..Further, a recent report suggests that polymorphisms of the gene for the enzyme catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) might moderate the risk of psychosis following cannabis exposure...
- Roles of polymorphic COMT, tea polyphenols and proteasome in cancer preventionQING PING DOU; Fiscal Year: 2010..their cancer-preventative activities in vivo, is mediated by human polymorphic catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT). The point- mutated COMT, found in -25% of US population, has 3-4-fold decreased enzymatic activity (COMT-LL)...
- Understanding the Role of COMT Variants in Sensorimotor GatingXIANJIN ZHOU; Fiscal Year: 2010..158 Valine to Methionine in the coding region (termed val158met), exists in the human catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) gene...
- COMT Genotype and Risky Decision Making in HIV and Methamphetamine DependenceMariana Cherner; Fiscal Year: 2010..Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is the enzyme responsible for the majority of DA clearance in the frontal cortex, which, along with its ..
- Effect of COMT Genotype on Functional Organization During Working Memory and RestEvan M Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2012..Extracellular DA levels are regulated by clearance mechanisms such as COMT (catechol-O- methyltransferase), an enzyme that degrades DA in synapses...
- The Influence of Dopaminergic Genetic Variants on D2-like Receptors in DrinkersAmira K Brown; Fiscal Year: 2011..apply for an NIH grant to assess the relationship between the dopaminergic genetic variants DRD2 TaqIA A1 allele, COMT Val/Val vs. Met, DRD4 VNTR 7-repeat allele and DAT VNTR SCL39 9-repeat (vs...
- Variability in Brain Function Underlying Motivated Behavior in AdolescenceBeatriz Luna; Fiscal Year: 2013..of DA and likely to have impact on reward and cognitive control systems are catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) and the dopamine transporter (DAT1)...
- NEUROCOGNITIVE EFFECTS OF NICOTINE DEPRIVATION AND DOPAMINE GENESAndrey P Anokhin; Fiscal Year: 2010..action monitoring, and decision making and 2) to examine the effects of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene on individual differences in subjective, behavioral, and neurocognitive effects of smoking deprivation...
- Self-Regulation Failure: Identifying and Modifying a Risk PhenotypeTimothy J Strauman; Fiscal Year: 2012..and imaging genetics (specifically, how heritable variability in the gene encoding catechol-O- methyltransferase [COMT], an enzyme that controls extracellular dopamine in the frontal cortex, influences processing of motivationally ..
- In Vivo Detection of Neuronal ActivityRussell E Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2010..and serotonin transporter (SERT) knockouts; dopamine D1 a and D2 receptor knockouts; catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) knockout...
- Nicotine Abstinence-Induced Cognitive Alterations by COMT GenotypeJames Loughead; Fiscal Year: 2010..The overall goal of this R03 application is to examine whether genetic variation in catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT val158met polymorphism) is associated with adverse cognitive effects of nicotine abstinence in chronic smokers...
- Dopaminergic Modulation of Immediate Reward BiasMARY K KELM; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition to alcohol abuse history, a variation in the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene predicts both Now versus Later preference and underlying brain activity in the prefrontal and posterior ..
- First-Episode Psychosis and Pre-Onset Cannabis UseMichael T Compton; Fiscal Year: 2012..whether or not a previously characterized gene-environment interaction} involving the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene and pre-onset cannabis use} influences onset ages and symptomatology...
- Nelly Alia-Klein; Fiscal Year: 2014..Other monoamine regulators, such as catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) and the serotonin transporter (5-HTT), together with MAO A, are also implicated as neurochemical markers in the ..
- Longitudinal Population-Based Study of VulvodyniaBarbara D Reed; Fiscal Year: 2012..have been found to be associated with chronic pain syndromes in general [Catechol-O-Methyltransferase (COMT) and Nerve Growth Factor receptors (NGF-r)], and vulvodynia in particular [Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL1RN)..
- Green Tea and Reduction of Breast Cancer RiskMINDY SUSAN KURZER; Fiscal Year: 2013..is associated with reduced breast cancer risk only in women with the low-activity catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype...
- Understanding the Role of COMT Variants in Sensorimotor GatingVictoria Risbrough; Fiscal Year: 2009..158 Valine to Methionine in the coding region (termed val158met), exists in the human catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) gene...
- Effect of COMT genetic polymorphism on response to propranolol therapy in TMDINNA EVGENIEVNA TCHIVILEVA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Growing evidence suggests that diminished activity of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT;an enzyme that metabolizes catecholamines), which results in elevated levels of catecholamines and increased ..
- Genetic by Context Influence on Trajectories of Adolescent Health Risk BehaviorsVangie A Foshee; Fiscal Year: 2010..serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4), the monoamine oxidase A gene (MAOA), the catechol-O-methyltransferase gene (COMT), the type 4 dopamine receptor gene (DRD4), and a series of tag SNPs in a high LD region on chromosome 15 ..
- Esther M Leerkes; Fiscal Year: 2014..e., dopamine receptors D1, D2 and D4, dopamine transporter DAT-1, catechol-O- methyltransferase -COMT, serotonin transporter- 5-HTTPR, and oxytocin receptor-OXTR)...
- Dopaminergic variants involved in smoking behavior: A perfusion fMRI studyTeresa R Franklin; Fiscal Year: 2010..variance in dopaminergic genes, such as the DAT, responsible for DA reuptake;the catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, involved in DA catabolism;and the DA receptor (D2 and D4) subtypes...
- Dopaminergic Neurons from Pluripotent Stem Cells for Substance Abuse ResearchPietro P Sanna; Fiscal Year: 2012..we propose to establish DA neurons from iPSC lines carrying common polymorphisms in catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), the a4 nicotinic receptor (CHRNA4) and the TTC12-ANKK1-DRD2 region that includes the D2 dopamine receptor (DRD2)...
- COMT Genotype and Executive Function in HIV Infection and Methamphetamine UseIan Paul Everall; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to investigate the relationship between the inherited genotype of catechol-o-methyl transferase (COMT) and the protection against the development of HIV related impaired executive function, which is lost when ..
- Combined use of green tea and quercetin in prostate cancerSUSANNE MARGARETE HENNING; Fiscal Year: 2012..Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) is the enzyme responsible for methylation of polyphenols with a catechol structure...
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in women: reproductive, hormonal and genetic factorsPaige M Bracci; Fiscal Year: 2011..ESR), cytochrome P450 17A1 (CYP17A1), sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), and in immune/inflammatory pathways include interleukins (IL), nuclear factor kappa B (NF-:B), tumor necrosis ..
- Yuichiro Tanaka; Fiscal Year: 2016..clear that estrogen- metabolizing genes (EMG) such as cytochrome P450 (CYP) 1B1 and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) are involved in the pathogenesis of RCC...
- SUSANNE MARGARETE HENNING; Fiscal Year: 2014..found in onions, apples, broccoli, berries and teas is a natural inhibitor of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) and multidrug resistance transport proteins (MRP1 and MRP2)...
- ANDREA G NACKLEY NEELY; Fiscal Year: 2014..suggests that these conditions are due, in large part, to diminished activity of catechol-O- methyltransferase (COMT;an enzyme that metabolizes catecholamines), which results in elevated levels of catecholamines and increased ..
- Barry M Lester; Fiscal Year: 2015..SNPs) in the multi-drug resistance (MDR1), mu opioid receptor (OPRM1), and/or catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genes (pharmacogenetic modulators of opioid action) will be analyzed and correlated with short term outcomes and ..
- Neurobiologic Mechanisms of Cognitive Dysfunction and Decline in MedulloblastomaShelli R Kesler; Fiscal Year: 2013..DNA will be extracted from saliva samples from all subjects and genotyped for catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) which is believed to influence cognitive outcome in individuals with brain injury...
- Arthur W Toga; Fiscal Year: 2016..white matter tracts, (3) the influence of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), and fat mass and obesity-associated (FTO) polymorphisms on gray and white matter shapes, and (4) genome-wide ..
- Working Memory Performance among Childhood Brain Tumor SurvivorsHEATHER CONKLIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..The Met polymorphism of the catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, which results in greater availability of prefrontal dopamine, is associated with better working memory ..
- L-DOPA OVERLOAD: MECHANISMS FOR THE SIDE EFFECTS.CLIVEL GEORGE CHARLTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..aromatic amino acid decarboxylase (LAAD), dopamine (DA)-beta hydroxylase (DBH) and catechol-O- methyltransferase (COMT), as well as methionine adenosyltransferase (MAT) that catalyses the synthesis of the cofactor, S-..
- CATECHOL-O-METHYLTRANSFERASE: BIOCHEMISTRY AND GENETICSMark Grossman; Fiscal Year: 1991..proposal is to elucidate the molecular genetic basis of inherited variations of human catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT, EC 188.8.131.52), a key enzyme in the metabolism of catecholamine neurotransmitters...
- Role of methylation in prevention the toxicity of epigallocatechin-3-gallateJOSHUA LAMBERT; Fiscal Year: 2007..risk of breast cancer development in women with at least one low activity allele of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT). Methylation of EGCG has been shown to play a major role in its phase II metabolism...
- ADRENERGIC VASOREGULATORY INTERACTIONS IN HYPERTENSIONRichard Weinshilboum; Fiscal Year: 1980..Our previous studies of serum dopamine-beta-hydroxylase (DBH) and erythrocyte catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) activities have demonstrated the autosomal recessive inheritance of low activities of these enzymes in man...
- ENDOMETRIAL CANCER AND CYP1A1, GSTM1 AND POLYMORPHISMSNoel Weiss; Fiscal Year: 1999..P450 1A1 (CYP1A1), glutathione-S-transferases M1 (GSTM1) and T1 (GSTT1), and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT)...
- Domain Generality of Conflict Resolution MechanismsRanjani Prabhakaran; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will also investigate the contribution of a single nucleotide polymorphism in catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), a gene which has been associated with cognitive control, to individual differences in cognitive control abilities...
- Genetic Determinants of COMT ExpressionSteven Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Catechol-O-methyltransferase, COMT, metabolizes endogenous catechol substrates, and thus is important in a variety of processes, including neurotransmission...
- PET STUDIES OF CATECHOL-O-METHYLTRANSFERASEYu Shin Ding; Fiscal Year: 2000..from investigator's abstract) This proposal involves the development of radiolabeled catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors for positron emission tomography (PET) studies of the enzyme system in vivo...
- FIBROBLAST MONOAMINE METABOLISM AND PSYCHOSESEarl Giller; Fiscal Year: 1980..in the fibroblast cultures, such as enzyme activities of monoamine oxidase (MAO) and catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT)...
- BETA-RECEPTOR & MEMBRANE CATECHOL-O-METHYLTRANSFERASESIMEON WRENN; Fiscal Year: 1980..Recently, I have discovered that in dog myocardial membranes, the membrane bound COMT activity is regulated through the beta-adrenergic receptor...
- Contributions of MTHFR Genotype to Frontal Lobe Dysfunction in SchizophreniaJOSHUA LAWRENCE ROFFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..These effects were further magnified through a diagnostically specific interaction with COMT Val158Met genotype, suggesting that the MTHFR T allele may exacerbate prefrontal dopamine deficiencies in Sz...
- Endophenotype-genotype associations in first-degree relatives of people with schiANNA DOCHERTY; Fiscal Year: 2011..study has found that relatives with a high-activity polymorphism of the Val158Met catechol-o-methyl-transferase (COMT) gene, responsible for the inhibition of dopamine, have higher levels of self-reported anhedonia...
- Genetic Susceptibility to Mercury Toxicity in ChildrenJames S Woods; Fiscal Year: 2012..interest are polymorphisms of genes associated with neurotransmitter transport and function (BDNF, 5- HTTLPR, COMT, TDO2) that are reported to confer neurological deficits similar to those affected by Hg0 exposure...
- Methylphenidate Use to Improve Outcomes in Geriatric DepressionHelen Lavretsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., COMT, DAT1, DRD4) and sertonergic neurotransmission (i.e...
- Investigation of the dopamine system in frontotemporal dementiaEdward D Huey; Fiscal Year: 2011..This medication acts by inhibiting an enzyme, catechol 0-methyl-transferase (COMT), that degrades dopamine...
- Neal R Swerdlow; Fiscal Year: 2015..effects of MEM are associated with: 1) increased WM;and 2) phenotypes linked to the high activity Val158Met COMT polymorphism...
- Schizophrenia Biomarkers: Memory Genes and fMRIGodfrey D Pearlson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the current research will examine the relationship between functional polymorphisms in 4 genes (COMT, BDNF, alpha-7 nicotinic cholinergic, and CB1 cannabinoid receptor) that are believed to influence working and ..
- Biomarker Strategies for Medication-Enhanced Cognitive Training in SchizophreniaNeal R Swerdlow; Fiscal Year: 2013..in healthy subjects are associated with: 1) increased WM;and 2) phenotypes linked to the high activity Val158Met COMT polymorphism...
- Schizophrenia Gating Deficit Mechanisms: Extending the CircuitJOSE MIGUEL CANIVE; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have recently begun to examine the role of the COMT Val158Met polymorphism in gating and have shown that gating can be predicted by allelic differences in COMT - the ..
- Alan I Green; Fiscal Year: 2016..as compared to those taking RISP;and (3) To explore whether those patients with the val/val genotype at the COMT Val158Met locus are more likely to decrease cannabis use during CLOZ treatment than are those without the val/val ..
- The aging brain: Imaging genetics of brain structure and functionIra Driscoll; Fiscal Year: 2013..The primary aims are to: (1) measure variation in five candidate genes (APOE, SORL1, BDNF, COMT, and KIBRA), all with known involvement in either dementia or cognitive impairment, and examine the relationships ..
- A NURSING STUDY OF GUT FUNCTION IN MENSTRUATING WOMENMargaret McLean Heitkemper; Fiscal Year: 2013..the relationships of startle reactivity, DNIC , and upper GI visceral hypersensitivity with genotype (SERT, 12-ADR, COMT, BNDF), abdominal pain reports, childhood abuse history, health related quality of life, current stress, and ..
- Suzanne C Segerstrom; Fiscal Year: 2016..Person-level measures will include optimism, COMT polymorphism, VO2max, and sensory testing...
- Noboru Hiroi; Fiscal Year: 2016..Interestingly, a high activity allele of catechol-O-methyl-transferase (COMT) is associated with lower levels of working memory performance after, but not before, puberty in children and ..
- Genetic Predictors of Cognition in HIV+ WomenERIN ELIZABETH SUNDERMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..training program is to characterize the effect of a common polymorphism of the catechol- O-methyl transferase (COMT) gene, Val158Met, on cognition and brain function in midlife women with HIV...
- David L Braff; Fiscal Year: 2015..genetic architecture of each IB in schizophrenia patients will be examined, focusing on 3 genes - NRG1;ERBB4;and COMT - together with other secondary genes of interest, based on preliminary association findings and/or the extant ..
- Computer-Based Training in Cognitve Behavioral TherapyKathleen Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2009..to the R37 to the proposed new methadone trial, and (4) add a novel behavioral genetics study that will evaluate the extent to which individuals with the COMT Met/Met versus the ValA/al genotype predict response to CBT.
- Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Addiction GenesWolfgang Sadee; Fiscal Year: 2010..encoding synthetic and catabolic enzymes, vesicular and synaptic reuptake transporters, and receptors (MAOA, MAOB, COMT, TH, DAT, NET, VMAT2, DRD2, CHRNA4)...
- J Quentin Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2016..We also hypothesize that certain genetic polymorphisms in COMT and beta-2 and-3 adrenoreceptors will predict the magnitude of the descending analgesic response, and response to a ..