Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CHRNA7
Description: cholinergic receptor nicotinic alpha 7 subunit
Alias: CHRNA7-2, NACHRA7, neuronal acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha-7, a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, alpha-7 nicotinic cholinergic receptor subunit, cholinergic receptor, nicotinic alpha 7, cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha 7 (neuronal), cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha polypeptide 7, neuronal acetylcholine receptor protein, alpha-7 chain
Publications182 found, 100 shown here
- alpha7 nicotinic receptor gene promoter polymorphisms in inbred mice affect expression in a cell type-specific fashionSharon Mexal
Institute for Behavioral Genetics and Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309, USA
J Biol Chem 282:13220-7. 2007..the inter-strain binding differences are linked to a restriction length polymorphism in the alpha7 nAChR gene, Chrna7. Despite this finding, the molecular mechanism(s) through which genetic variability in Chrna7 may contribute to ..
- High content screen microscopy analysis of A beta 1-42-induced neurite outgrowth reduction in rat primary cortical neurons: neuroprotective effects of alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor ligandsMin Hu
Neuroscience Research, Abbott Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6125, USA
Brain Res 1151:227-35. 2007....
- Alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor mRNA expression and binding in postmortem human brain are associated with genetic variation in neuregulin 1Shiny V Mathew
Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1385, USA
Hum Mol Genet 16:2921-32. 2007..Together, these results suggest that the molecular mechanism of the association between NRG1 risk alleles and schizophrenia may include down-regulation of nAChR alpha7 expression...
- Alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene and reduced risk of Alzheimer's diseaseR Carson
J Med Genet 45:244-8. 2008..We sought to investigate the role of the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) in influencing risk of AD in a large population...
- Receptor-mediated tobacco toxicity: acceleration of sequential expression of alpha5 and alpha7 nicotinic receptor subunits in oral keratinocytes exposed to cigarette smokeJuan Arredondo
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, C340 Medical Sciences I, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
FASEB J 22:1356-68. 2008....
- beta-Amyloid(1-42) binds to alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor with high affinity. Implications for Alzheimer's disease pathologyH Y Wang
R W Johnson Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Spring House, Pennsylvania 19477 0776, USA
J Biol Chem 275:5626-32. 2000....
- Oligomeric aggregates of amyloid beta peptide 1-42 activate ERK/MAPK in SH-SY5Y cells via the alpha7 nicotinic receptorKirk F Young
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
Neurochem Int 55:796-801. 2009..Oligomeric aggregates of Abeta42 are the principal structural form of the peptide that activates ERK/MAPK in SH-SY5Y cells and these effects are mediated by the alpha7 nAChR...
- Recruitment of α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor to caveolin-1-enriched lipid rafts is required for nicotine-enhanced Escherichia coli K1 entry into brain endothelial cellsFeng Chi
Saban Research Institute of Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Department of Pediatrics, University of Southern California, USA
Future Microbiol 6:953-66. 2011....
- Human alpha 7 acetylcholine receptor: cloning of the alpha 7 subunit from the SH-SY5Y cell line and determination of pharmacological properties of native receptors and functional alpha 7 homomers expressed in Xenopus oocytesX Peng
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia 19104 6074
Mol Pharmacol 45:546-54. 1994....
- Genomic organization and partial duplication of the human alpha7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7)J Gault
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, 80262, USA
Genomics 52:173-85. 1998The human alpha7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (HGMW-approved symbol CHRNA7) has been characterized from genomic clones...
- Interaction of tobacco-specific toxicants with the neuronal alpha(7) nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and its associated mitogenic signal transduction pathway: potential role in lung carcinogenesis and pediatric lung disordersH M Schuller
Carcinogenesis and Developmental Therapeutics Program, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37909 1071, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 393:265-77. 2000..Similarly, up-regulation of one or several components of this nicotinic receptor pathway in smokers may be an important factor for the development of small cell lung carcinoma...
- alpha 7 nicotinic receptor transduces signals to phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase to block A beta-amyloid-induced neurotoxicityT Kihara
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:13541-6. 2001..These findings indicate that the alpha7 nicotinic receptor transduces signals to PI3K in a cascade, which ultimately contributes to a neuroprotective effect. This might form the basis of a new treatment for AD...
- A 3-Mb map of a large Segmental duplication overlapping the alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) at human 15q13-q14Brien Riley
Social Genetic Developmental and Psychiatric Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London, SE5 8AF, UK
Genomics 79:197-209. 2002..to human 15q13-q14, which contains a strong candidate in the alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) and is partly duplicated, complicating further genetic analysis...
- A novel angiogenic pathway mediated by non-neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsChristopher Heeschen
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Clin Invest 110:527-36. 2002..To our knowledge, this is the first description of a cholinergic angiogenic pathway, and it suggests a novel avenue for therapeutic modulation of angiogenesis...
- The -2 bp deletion in exon 6 of the 'alpha 7-like' nicotinic receptor subunit gene is a risk factor for the P50 sensory gating deficitG Raux
INSERM EMI 9906, IRFMP, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Rouen, France
Mol Psychiatry 7:1006-11. 2002..Two related alpha 7 genes (CHRNA7 and CHRNA7-like gene) resulting from a partial duplication (from exon 5 to exon 10) are present in the human ..
- Association of promoter variants in the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene with an inhibitory deficit found in schizophreniaSherry Leonard
Department of Psychiatry, Campus Box C 268 71, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E Ninth Ave, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:1085-96. 2002The alpha7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) has been implicated as a candidate gene for schizophrenia, and for an auditory sensory processing deficit found in the disease, by both genetic linkage at 15q14 ..
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit is an essential regulator of inflammationHong Wang
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, North Shore Long Island Jewish Research Institute, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Nature 421:384-8. 2003..Thus, the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit is essential for inhibiting cytokine synthesis by the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha 7 regulates cAMP signal within lipid raftsJin Oshikawa
Department of Physiology and Medicine, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 285:C567-74. 2003..In addition, nAChR alpha 7 may regulate the AC activity via Ca2+ within lipid rafts...
- Ric-3 promotes functional expression of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit in mammalian cellsMark E Williams
Merck Research Laboratories, San Diego, California 92121, USA
J Biol Chem 280:1257-63. 2005..Thus, ric-3 appears to be necessary for proper folding and/or assembly of alpha7 receptors in HEK293 cells...
- Incorporation of the beta3 subunit has a dominant-negative effect on the function of recombinant central-type neuronal nicotinic receptorsSteven Broadbent
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower St, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Mol Pharmacol 70:1350-7. 2006..This raises the possibility of a novel regulatory role for the beta3 subunit on neuronal nicotinic signaling in the central nervous system...
- Receptor-mediated tobacco toxicity: cooperation of the Ras/Raf-1/MEK1/ERK and JAK-2/STAT-3 pathways downstream of alpha7 nicotinic receptor in oral keratinocytesJuan Arredondo
Department of Dermatology, University of California Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
FASEB J 20:2093-101. 2006....
- Episodic memory performance predicted by the 2bp deletion in exon 6 of the "alpha 7-like" nicotinic receptor subunit geneEmma L Dempster
Division of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Toronto Western Research Institute, Toronto Western Hospital, McLaughlin Pavillion, 6th Floor Room 415, 399 Bathurst St, Toronto, Ont M5T 2S8, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 163:1832-4. 2006..Chromosome 15q14 harbors the alpha-7 nicotinic receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) and a hybrid gene of unknown function (CHRFAM7A)...
- Linkage disequilibrium analysis of the CHRNA7 gene and its partially duplicated region in schizophreniaYasuhide Iwata
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, 1 Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Neurosci Res 57:194-202. 2007Several previous studies have reported a significant linkage between markers in the alpha 7 nicotinic cholinergic receptor subunit (CHRNA7) gene and either schizophrenia or the P50 sensory gating deficit, a schizophrenia endophenotype...
- Cholinergic modulation of angiogenesis: role of the 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorJenny C F Wu
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Cell Biochem 108:433-46. 2009..Other subunits play a modulatory role. These findings may have therapeutic implications for diseases characterized by pathological angiogenesis...
- Chronic exposure to estrogen and the tobacco carcinogen NNK cooperatively modulates nicotinic receptors in small airway epithelial cellsHussein A N Al-Wadei
Experimental Oncology Laboratory, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Lung Cancer 69:33-9. 2010..This selective imbalance in stimulatory and inhibitory signaling may contribute to the development and progression of small airway-derived adenocarcinoma in women who smoke...
- Correlation of a set of gene variants, life events and personality features on adult ADHD severityDaniel J Muller
Neurogenetics Section, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health CAMH, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1R8
J Psychiatr Res 44:598-604. 2010..Common polymorphisms within a set of nine important candidate genes (SLC6A3, DBH, DRD4, DRD5, HTR2A, CHRNA7, BDNF, PRKG1 and TAAR9) were genotyped for each subject...
- Functional expression of alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in human periodontal ligament fibroblasts and rat periodontal tissuesXiao Jing Wang
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, 710032, Shaanxi, China
Cell Tissue Res 340:347-55. 2010..Our results may be pertinent to a better understanding of the relationships among smoking, nicotine, and periodontitis...
- Structures and molecular mechanisms for common 15q13.3 microduplications involving CHRNA7: benign or pathological?Przemyslaw Szafranski
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Hum Mutat 31:840-50. 2010..6-Mb microduplications and 55 smaller 350-680-kb microduplications at 15q13.2-q13.3 involving the CHRNA7 gene that were detected by clinical microarray analysis...
- Upregulation of nuclear factor-kappaB expression by SLURP-1 is mediated by alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and involves both ionic events and activation of protein kinasesAlexander I Chernyavsky
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 299:C903-11. 2010..Thus, there exists a previously not appreciated network of noncanonical auto/paracrine ligands of nAChR of the Ly-6 protein family, which merits further investigations...
- Alpha 7 subunit of nAChR regulates migration of human mesenchymal stem cellsIngrid U Schraufstatter
Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Stem Cells 4:203-15. 2009..These findings reveal an involvement of the non-neural cholinergic system in regulation of hMSC migration...
- Transcriptional repression of the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) by activating protein-2α (AP-2α)Jessica Finlay-Schultz
Departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Biol Chem 286:42123-32. 2011The CHRNA7 gene, which encodes the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α7*nAChR), has been implicated as a candidate gene in schizophrenia...
- Up-regulation of the neuronal nicotinic receptor α7 by HIV glycoprotein 120: potential implications for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorderLeomar Y Ballester
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Biol Chem 287:3079-86. 2012..In summary, CXCR4 activation induces up-regulation of α7-nAChR, causing cell death, suggesting that α7-nAChR is a previously unrecognized contributor to the neurotoxicity associated with HIV infection...
- Investigating the contribution of common genetic variants to the risk and pathogenesis of ADHDEvangelia Stergiakouli
MRC Centre in Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff, Wales
Am J Psychiatry 169:186-94. 2012..The authors undertook a GWAS of ADHD and examined whether associated SNPs, including those below conventional levels of significance, influenced the same biological pathways affected by CNVs...
- Expression of the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in human lung cellsHoward K Plummer
Molecular Cancer Analysis Laboratory, Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996 4542, USA
Respir Res 6:29. 2005..In the present study, our goal was to determine the extent of alpha7 mRNA and protein expression in the human lung...
- Nicotine promotes cell proliferation via alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and catecholamine-synthesizing enzymes-mediated pathway in human colon adenocarcinoma HT-29 cellsHelen Pui Shan Wong
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 221:261-7. 2007..These data reveal the contributory role alpha7-nAChR and beta-adrenoceptors in the tumorigenesis of colon cancer cells and partly elucidate the carcinogenic action of cigarette smoke on colon cancer...
- APOE, ACT and CHRNA7 genes in the conversion from amnestic mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer's diseaseA Barabash
Laboratory of Psychoneuroendocrinology and Genetics, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
Neurobiol Aging 30:1254-64. 2009We have investigated whether the -86 C/T promoter polymorphism in CHRNA7 gene, the signal peptide polymorphism of the alpha1-antichymotripsin (ACT) gene or the APOE genotype are associated with an increased risk of mild cognitive ..
- The copy number variant involving part of the alpha7 nicotinic receptor gene contains a polymorphic inversionRachel H Flomen
Department of Psychological Medicine, Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 16:1364-71. 2008The alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) is located at 15q13-q14 in a region that is strongly linked to the P50 sensory gating deficit, an endophenotype of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder...
- Cell specific synovial expression of nicotinic alpha 7 acetylcholine receptor in rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritisM Westman
Unit of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Immunol 70:136-40. 2009..These results indicate the importance of alpha7nAChR and cholinergic mechanisms in arthritis pathogenesis and implicate specific cholinergic modulation as a potential anti-inflammatory therapeutic strategy in joint inflammation...
- The α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and the acute stress response: maternal genotype determines offspring phenotypeMelissa L Sinkus
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver, CO 80045, USA
Physiol Behav 104:321-6. 2011..Therefore, the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) may be associated with cortisol stress response...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor expression and susceptibility to cholinergic immunomodulation in human monocytes of smoking individualsEsmerij P van der Zanden
Tytgat Institute for GI and Liver Research, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroimmunomodulation 19:255-65. 2012..As previous data suggest that the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (CHRNA7) and its duplicated variant CHRFAM7A may specifically participate in the inflammatory response of monocytes, we ..
- The promoter -194 C polymorphism of the nicotinic alpha 7 receptor gene has a protective effect against the P50 sensory gating deficitE Houy
INSERM EMI 9906, IFRMP, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Rouen, France
Mol Psychiatry 9:320-2. 2004..shown a significant association between the presence of at least one -2 bp deletion located within exon 6 of the CHRNA7-like gene and the P50 abnormality in the general population...
- Population-based and family-based association studies of an (AC)n dinucleotide repeat in alpha-7 nicotinic receptor subunit gene and schizophreniaJin Bo Fan
Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institute of Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 200031, China
Schizophr Res 84:222-7. 2006The human alpha-7 neuronal nicotinic receptor subunit (CHRNA7) gene, located at chromosome 15q13.2, represents a strong candidate gene for schizophrenia...
- A novel permutation testing method implicates sixteen nicotinic acetylcholine receptor genes as risk factors for smoking in schizophrenia familiesStephen V Faraone
Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 37 Shields Avenue, Boston, MA 02301, USA
Hum Hered 57:59-68. 2004..044) and (CHRNB2, p = 0.015) and two genes were marginally significant (CHRNA7, p = 0.095; CHRNA1, p = 0.076)...
- Mice deficient in CHRNA7, a subunit of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, produce sperm with impaired motilityChristopher Bray
Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, 95616 8643, USA
Biol Reprod 73:807-14. 2005In this study we investigate the role of the CHRNA7 subunit (also known as the alpha7 subunit) of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in mouse sperm function...
- Chrna7 genotype is linked with alpha7 nicotinic receptor expression but not alpha7 RNA levelsNathanial P Brooks
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80303, USA
Brain Res 1263:1-9. 2009..in alpha-bungarotoxin binding between the mouse strains C3H/Ibg and DBA/2 have been linked to polymorphisms in Chrna7, the gene that encodes the alpha7 subunit...
- Schizophrenia and smoking: evidence for a common neurobiological basis?H H Stassen
Research Department, Psychiatric University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Med Genet 96:173-7. 2000..D15S1360 and L76630 that are localized in a genomic fragment containing the alpha 7-nicotinic receptor gene CHRNA7. Highly significant differences (P < 0...
- Further evidence of genetic heterogeneity in families with autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsyElvira V De Marco
Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, Mangone CS, Italy
Epilepsy Res 74:70-3. 2007..Here, we investigated whether nine brain-expressed genes (CHRNA2, CHRNA3, CHRNA4, CHRNA5, CHRNA6, CHRNA7, CHRNB2, CHRNB3, CHRNB4), encoding distinct nAChR subunits, and CRH are associated with the disease in three ..
- Molecular modeling of human pentameric alpha(7) neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and its interaction with its agonist and competitive antagonistMarimuthu Parthiban
Department of Bioinformatics, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, India
J Biomol Struct Dyn 26:535-47. 2009..These results provide the details of interaction of agonists and competitive antagonists with three dimensional model of the N-terminal region of human alpha(7)nAChR and thereby point to the design of novel lead compounds...
- Genetic mapping of putative Chrna7 and Luzp2 neuronal transcriptional enhancers due to impact of a transgene-insertion and 6.8 Mb deletion in a mouse model of Prader-Willi and Angelman syndromesMihaela Stefan
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
BMC Genomics 6:157. 2005..In this study, we define the deletion endpoints and examine the impact on expression of flanking genes...
- P50 sensory gating deficit in children with centrotemporal spikes and sharp waves in the EEGBarbara J Fiedler
University Children s Hospital Munster, Department of Neuropediatrics, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Neurosci Lett 393:206-10. 2006..In several studies, a pathogenic role of the CHRNA7 gene and the CHRNA7-like gene, respectively, is suggested...
- Genetic mapping of a major susceptibility locus for juvenile myoclonic epilepsy on chromosome 15qF V Elmslie
Department of Paediatrics, University College London Medical School, The Rayne Institute, UK
Hum Mol Genet 6:1329-34. 1997..was found to polymorphic loci encompassing the region in which the gene encoding the alpha7 subunit of nAChR (CHRNA7) maps on chromosome 15q14 (HLOD = 4.4 at alpha = 0.65; Z(all) = 2.94, P = 0.0005)...
- Pharmacological properties of the homomeric alpha 7 receptorD Bertrand
Department of Physiology, CMU, Geneva, Switzerland
Neurosci Lett 146:87-90. 1992The pharmacological properties of the alpha-bungarotoxin sensitive alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) were studied upon reconstitution in Xenopus oocytes...
- Haplotype transmission disequilibrium and evidence for linkage of the CHRNA7 gene region to schizophrenia in Southern African Bantu familiesB P Riley
Departments of Psychological Medicine and Neuroscience, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
Am J Med Genet 96:196-201. 2000..647, 4 df, P=0.007, and a maximum chi(2) of 6.567, 1 df, P=0.004 for excess transmission of the 1.2 haplotype into affected offspring. Am. J. Med. Genet. (Neuropsychiatr. Genet.) 96:196-201, 2000...
- No association between CHRNA7 microsatellite markers and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderL Kent
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Neuroscience, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Am J Med Genet 105:686-9. 2001..previously been studied in schizophrenia where the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha 7 subunit gene (CHRNA7) has been implicated in decreased P50 inhibition and attentional disturbances in patients with schizophrenia and ..
- Differential regulation of alpha7 nicotinic receptor gene (CHRNA7) expression in schizophrenic smokersSharon Mexal
Cenomed BioSciences, Irvine, CA, USA
J Mol Neurosci 40:185-95. 2010The alpha7 neuronal nicotinic receptor gene (CHRNA7) has been implicated in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia by genetic and pharmacological studies...
- Cloning and mapping of the mouse alpha 7-neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptorA Orr-Urtreger
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Genomics 26:399-402. 1995We report the isolation of cDNA clones for the mouse alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit (gene symbol Acra7), the only nicotinic receptor subunit known to bind alpha-bungarotoxin in mammalian brain...
- Association study of CHRFAM7A copy number and 2 bp deletion polymorphisms with schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorderRachel H Flomen
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 141:571-5. 2006..Markers in the vicinity of the CHRNA7 gene at 15q13-q14 have been linked with an endophenotype of schizophrenia, P50 sensory gating disorder, with ..
- CHRFAM7A copy number and 2-bp deletion polymorphisms and antisaccade performanceNadine Petrovsky
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Bonn, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:267-73. 2009Chromosome 15q13-q14 harbours the gene for the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit (CHRNA7) and a related gene (CHRFAM7A) which arises from a partly duplicated portion of CHRNA7...
- Genomic polymorphisms within alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and severe sepsis in Chinese Han populationY Jin
Department of Anesthesiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Qingchun Road 79, Hangzhou, China
Int J Immunogenet 37:361-5. 2010..The predisposition of genomic polymorphisms within alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) to sepsis has not been investigated...
- Multiple cholinergic nicotinic receptor genes affect nicotine dependence risk in African and European AmericansN L Saccone
Department of Genetics, Washington University, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
Genes Brain Behav 9:741-50. 2010..Variants in or near CHRND-CHRNG, CHRNA7 and CHRNA10 show modest association with nicotine dependence risk in the AA sample...
- Refinement of a chimpanzee pericentric inversion breakpoint to a segmental duplication clusterDevin P Locke
Department of Genetics, Center for Computational Genomics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Genome Biol 4:R50. 2003..Reproductive isolation and subsequent speciation are thought to be the potential result of pericentric inversions, as reproductive boundaries form as a result of hybrid sterility...
- Gene regulation by hypoxia and the neurodevelopmental origin of schizophreniaRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Division of Cellular Neuroscience, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 84:253-71. 2006..The analysis showed that more than 50% of these genes, particularly AKT1, BDNF, CAPON, CCKAR, CHRNA7, CNR1, COMT, DNTBP1, GAD1, GRM3, IL10, MLC1, NOTCH4, NRG1, NR4A2/NURR1, PRODH, RELN, RGS4, RTN4/NOGO and TNF, are ..
- Genetics of chromosome 15q13-q14 in schizophreniaSherry Leonard
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Fitzsimmons Campus, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:115-22. 2006..There is also biological data showing that a candidate gene in the region, the alpha7 nicotinic receptor CHRNA7, plays a seminal role in the linked endophenotype, and is decreased in expression in the patient population...
- Performance deficit of alpha7 nicotinic receptor knockout mice in a delayed matching-to-place task suggests a mild impairment of working/episodic-like memoryC Fernandes
Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
Genes Brain Behav 5:433-40. 2006..Consequently, we tested mice lacking the alpha7 subunit of the neural nicotinic receptor (B6.129S7-Chrna7(tm1Bay)/J) in the delayed matching-to-place (DMP) task of the Morris water maze, a measure of working/episodic ..
- [Gene polymorphism and gene expression in schizophrenia]Trixler Mátyás
PTE AOK Pszichiatriai es Pszichoterapias Klinika, Pecs
Psychiatr Hung 21:404-12. 2006..Several susceptibility genes [including COMT, dysbindin, neuregulin, DISCI, RGS4, GRM3, G72, PPP3CC, CHRNA7, PRODH2, Aktl, 5qGABA(A)] having physiological function in the brain have been identified and this supports the ..
- A recurrent 15q13.3 microdeletion syndrome associated with mental retardation and seizuresAndrew J Sharp
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1705 NE Pacific St, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Nat Genet 40:322-8. 2008..This recurrent 1.5-Mb deletion contains six genes, including a candidate gene for epilepsy (CHRNA7) that is probably responsible for the observed seizure phenotype...
- Evidence for association of the non-duplicated region of CHRNA7 gene with bipolar disorder but not with SchizophreniaInés Ancín
aBiomedical Research Foundation bDepartment of Psychiatry, Clinico San Carlos Hospital, Madrid cDepartment of Psychiatry, Virgen de la Luz Hospital, Cuenca, Spain
Psychiatr Genet 20:289-97. 2010..evidence in both human and animal studies suggests α7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) as a suitable functional candidate for genetic studies in psychiatric populations...
- A small recurrent deletion within 15q13.3 is associated with a range of neurodevelopmental phenotypesMarwan Shinawi
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Genet 41:1269-71. 2009..3. Although this deletion also affects OTUD7A, accumulated data suggest that haploinsufficiency of CHRNA7 is causative for the majority of neurodevelopmental phenotypes in the 15q13.3 microdeletion syndrome.
- Genome-wide scan of copy number variation in late-onset Alzheimer's diseaseErin L Heinzen
Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Center for Human Genome Variation, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 19:69-77. 2010..In this analysis, no new SNPs show genome-wide significance. We also screened for effects of copy number variation, and while nothing was significant, a duplication in CHRNA7 appears interesting enough to warrant further investigation.
- Discovery of a protein sequence in the N-terminal region of the human neuronal alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor involved in homomeric interactionsChristopher L Chio
Biology II Neurobiology, Pharmacia and Upjohn, 301 Henrietta Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, USA
Neurosci Lett 334:49-52. 2002..These results support the view that the G23-N46 portion of the alpha7 N-terminal region may contribute to receptor homooligomerizations...
- Novel alpha7 nicotinic receptor isoforms and deficient cholinergic transcription in schizophreniaE G Severance
Stanley Division of Developmental Neurovirology, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe Street, Blalock 1105, Baltimore, MD21287 4933, USA
Genes Brain Behav 7:37-45. 2008..Our data demonstrate that alpha7 transcription is altered in several ways in SZ, suggesting that transcription-level mechanisms could account in part for the impaired cholinergic neurotransmission observed in this disease...
- Association between the 2-bp deletion polymorphism in the duplicated version of the alpha7 nicotinic receptor gene and P50 sensory gatingRachel H Flomen
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 21:76-81. 2013..3 region in neuropsychiatric disorders, with the α7 nicotinic receptor gene CHRNA7 the most plausible candidate. This region has multiple duplications and many copy number variants (CNVs)...
- Gene expression changes in peripheral blood from Chinese Han patients with Tourette syndromeJing Lei
Center for Experimental Medicine, The Third Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan Province, China
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 159:977-80. 2012..and RCC-1 like domain 2 gene (HERC2), the cholinergic receptor, neuronal nicotinic alpha polypeptide 7 gene (CHRNA7), the ubiquitin protein ligase E3A gene (UBE3A), the ubiquitin specific peptidase 3 gene (USP3) and the amyloid ..
- Activation of alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor protects mice from radiation-induced intestinal injury and mortalityJi Kuai Chen
a Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Radiat Res 181:666-71. 2014..We conclude that activation of α7nAChR may provide a new therapeutic pathway for the treatment of radiation-induced damage and mortality. ..
- Identification of molecular variants at the promoter region of the human alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene but lack of association with schizophreniaChen Hao Li
Department of Psychiatry, Tzu Chi General Hospital, and Tzu Chi University, 701 Section 3, Chung Yang Road, Hualien City 970, Taiwan, ROC
Neurosci Lett 372:1-5. 2004..Hence, in this study, we did not find mutations in the human alpha7 neuronal nicotinic receptor subunit gene that are associated with schizophrenia in our population...
- Alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit is not required for parasympathetic control of the heart in the mouseJennifer Deck
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Physiol Genomics 22:86-92. 2005..Normal (C57BL/6J), alpha7-deficient (Chrna7), and wild-type littermate mice were implanted with telemetry devices, and, under conscious, unsedated conditions, ..
- [The transmission disequilibrium analysis between neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha 7 subunit gene polymorphisms and schizophrenia]Zhi zhen Peng
Mental Health Center of Shantou University, Shantou, Guangdong, 515063 P R China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 25:154-8. 2008To investigate the association between neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha 7 subunit (CHRNA7) gene and schizophrenia.
- Pharmacotherapeutic implications of the association between genomic instability at chromosome 15q13.3 and autism spectrum disordersStephen I Deutsch
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23507 1912, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 34:203-5. 2011..3 are causally associated with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs), suggesting that haploinsufficiency of CHRNA7, the gene that codes for the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α7 nAChR) subunit, is an etiological mechanism...
- The nicotinic acetylcholine receptor α7 in subcutaneous mature adipocytes: downregulation in human obesity and modulation by diet-induced weight lossR Cancello
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, IRCCS, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Verbania, Italy
Int J Obes (Lond) 36:1552-7. 2012..However, no data are available on α7nAChR expression in human adipocytes...
- α7 nAChR in airway respiratory epithelial cellsCandida Nastrucci
IRCCS San Raffaele Pisana, Via di Valcannuta 247, I 00166 Roma, Italia
Curr Drug Targets 13:666-70. 2012..It is postulated that α7 nAChR may have mitogenic or antiproliferative signals differentially activated in different types of airway cells and under exposure to exogenous stimuli such as nicotine...
- Suitability of Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor α7 and Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor 3 Antibodies for Immune Detection: Evaluation in Murine SkinFrank R Rommel
Psychoneuroimmunology Laboratory, Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy FRR, BR, St, EMJP, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, GermanyInstitute of Anatomy and Cell Biology RP, WK, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, GermanyInstitute of Biochemistry GL, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, GermanyCharité Center 12 for Internal Medicine and Dermatology, Universitätsmedizin Charité, Berlin, Germany EMJP Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Giessen, Giessen, Germany UG
J Histochem Cytochem 63:329-39. 2015..and its receptors in the regulation of inflammation, particularly of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor α7 (Chrna7) and muscarinic acetylcholine receptor 3 (Chrm3)...
- Effect of Genetic Polymorphisms (SNPs) in CHRNA7 Gene on Response to Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors (AChEI) in Patients with Alzheimer's DiseasePatrizia Russo
Laboratory of Molecular Epidemiology IRCCS San Raffaele Pisana Via di Valcannuta, 247 I 00166 Roma, Italia
Curr Drug Targets . 2015..7nAChR (nicotinic acetylcholine receptor), encoded by CHRNA7, is involved in cholinergic neurotransmission and AD pathogenesis...
- Dehydration and Cognition in Geriatrics: A Hydromolecular HypothesisAdonis Sfera
Department of Psychiatry, Loma Linda UniversityLoma Linda, USA Patton State HospitalPatton, USA
Front Mol Biosci 3:18. 2016..microRNA targets, utilizing the public domain tool miRDB and found that microRNA-6842-3p modulates the SLC6A1 and CHRNA7 genes both of which were previously hypothesized to inhibit the thirst sensation by their action on SFO...
- Central role of alpha7 nicotinic receptor in differentiation of the stratified squamous epitheliumJuan Arredondo
Department of Dermatology, UC Davis Medical Center, University of California Davis, 4860 Y Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Cell Biol 159:325-36. 2002....
- A second large family with catatonic schizophrenia supports the region distally of CHRNA7 on chromosome 15q14-15J Meyer
Mol Psychiatry 8:259-60. 2003
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: from structure to brain functionR C Hogg
Department of Physiology, CMU, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Rev Physiol Biochem Pharmacol 147:1-46. 2003..A genetically transmissible epilepsy, ADNFLE, has been associated with specific mutations in the gene coding for the alpha4 or beta2 subunits, which leads to altered receptor properties...
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor immunohistochemistry in Alzheimer's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies: differential neuronal and astroglial pathologyThanasak Teaktong
Centre Development in Clinical Brain Aging, MRC Building, Newcastle General Hospital, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6BE, UK
J Neurol Sci 225:39-49. 2004..Increased astrocyte alpha7 nAChRs in AD may be associated with inflammatory mechanisms related to degenerative processes specific to this disease...
- Regulation of alpha7-nicotinic receptor subunit and alpha7-like gene expression in the prefrontal cortex of patients with bipolar disorder and schizophreniaV De Luca
Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Acta Psychiatr Scand 114:211-5. 2006The alpha7-nicotinic receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) is located at chromosome 15q13-14, a region previously linked with schizophrenia. Genetic association and mRNA expression studies also implicate CHRNA7 in schizophrenia...
- Novel G423S mutation of human alpha7 nicotinic receptor promotes agonist-induced desensitization by a protein kinase C-dependent mechanismHiroshi Tsuneki
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Mol Pharmacol 71:777-86. 2007The alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit (CHRNA7) gene harbors a high degree of polymorphism. In this study, we found a novel variant (1267 G to A) in exon 10 of the CHRNA7 gene in a Japanese population...
- Association of alpha4beta2 nicotinic receptor and heavy smoking in schizophreniaSophocles Voineskos
Neurogenetics Section, Clarke Site, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
J Psychiatry Neurosci 32:412-6. 2007Previously we suggested that the CHRNA7 polymorphism in nicotinic receptor genes, in particular the D15S1360 in CHRNA7, is associated with smoking in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia patients are usually heavy smokers...
- Serious obstetric complications interact with hypoxia-regulated/vascular-expression genes to influence schizophrenia riskK K Nicodemus
Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Psychiatry 13:873-7. 2008..candidate genes regulated by hypoxia or involved in vascular function in the brain (AKT1, BDNF, CAPON, CHRNA7, COMT, DTNBP1, GAD1, GRM3, NOTCH4, NRG1, PRODH, RGS4, TNF-alpha) interacted with serious obstetric complications ..
- A 5.6-Mb deletion in 15q14 in a boy with speech and language disorder, cleft palate, epilepsy, a ventricular septal defect, mental retardation and developmental delayChih Ping Chen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, 92, Section 2, Chung Shan North Road, Taipei 104, Taiwan
Eur J Med Genet 51:368-72. 2008..The present case provides the evidence that 15q14 deletion outside the region encompassing the CHRNA7 gene can cause generalized epilepsy, and a locus in 15q14 is associated with speech and language disorder.
- Targeting alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the treatment of schizophreniaMihaly Hajos
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Pfizer Inc, Eastern Point Rd, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Curr Pharm Des 16:538-54. 2010..Since genetic linkage studies implicated the alpha7 nAChRs subunit gene CHRNA7 in schizophrenia, there is a considerable interest for developing drug therapies targeting alpha7 nAChRs...
- Delineation of 15q13.3 microdeletionsA Masurel-Paulet
Centre de Génétique et Centre de Référence Anomalies du Développement et Syndromes Malformatifs, Hôpital d Enfants, CHU, Dijon
Clin Genet 78:149-61. 2010..with this microdeletion generally present with relatively consistent breakpoints at BP4 and BP5, which include the CHRNA7 gene. About 100 index cases have been reported since the first publication in 2008...
- CHRNA7 haplotypes are associated with impaired attention in euthymic bipolar disorderI Ancín
Laboratory of Psychoneuroendocrinology and Molecular Genetics, Biomedical Research Foundation, Clinico San Carlos Hospital, Madrid, Spain
J Affect Disord 133:340-5. 2011..Moreover, there is evidence suggesting the role of the alpha 7 nicotinic cholinergic receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) in BD susceptibility...
- A method for bidirectional solution exchange--"liquid bullet" applications of acetylcholine to α7 nicotinic receptorsNikolai Fedorov
Targacept, Inc, Preclinical Research Department, Winston Salem, NC 27101, USA
J Neurosci Methods 206:23-33. 2012..This approach could therefore be useful for the study of rapid agonist-receptor interactions that closely mimic the physiological conditions in the synaptic cleft during bursts of neuronal activity...
- Nicotine/cigarette smoke promotes metastasis of pancreatic cancer through α7nAChR-mediated MUC4 upregulationN Momi
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Oncogene 32:1384-95. 2013..Altogether, our findings revealed for the first time that CS upregulates the MUC4 mucin in PC via the α7nAChR/JAK2/STAT3 downstream signaling cascade, thereby promoting metastasis of PC...
- In hippocampal oriens interneurons anti-Hebbian long-term potentiation requires cholinergic signaling via α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsMarilena Griguoli
Neurobiology Sector, International School for Advanced Studies, 34136 Trieste, Italy
J Neurosci 33:1044-9. 2013..These data indicate that, in O/A interneurons, anti-Hebbian LTP critically depends on cholinergic signaling via α7 nAChR. This may influence network oscillations and information processing...
- CHRNA7 triplication associated with cognitive impairment and neuropsychiatric phenotypes in a three-generation pedigreeClaudia Soler-Alfonso
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Medical Genetics, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA
Eur J Hum Genet 22:1071-6. 2014Although deletions of CHRNA7 have been associated with intellectual disability (ID), seizures and neuropsychiatric phenotypes, the pathogenicity of CHRNA7 duplications has been uncertain. We present the first report of CHRNA7 triplication...
- The alpha 7 nicotinic receptor agonist PHA-543613 hydrochloride inhibits Porphyromonas gingivalis-induced expression of interleukin-8 by oral keratinocytesAlexandrea Macpherson
Infection and Immunity Research Group, Glasgow Dental School, School of Medicine, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Level 9, 378 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G2 3JZ, UK
Inflamm Res 63:557-68. 2014..7nAChR activation mediates anti-inflammatory responses. The objective of this study was to determine if α7nAChR activation inhibited pathogen-induced interleukin-8 (IL-8) expression by oral keratinocytes...
- Roger L Papke; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor is being energetically pursued as a drug target for diverse disorders, from Alzheimer's disease to septic shock...
- Basic to Clinical Molecular Neurobiology of Nicotinic Receptors in SchizophreniaRobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2013..It examines CHRNA7, the gene for this receptor, to determine how its expression becomes aberrant in schizophrenia (Project 3) and in ..
- Jeffrey A Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2015..that are an endophenotype found in persons with schizophrenia, (2) genetic evidence for abnormalities involving CHRNA7, the gene for the alpha7-nicotinic receptor subunit, and (3) pharmacological evidence for possible therapeutic ..
- Expression and Function of the Alpha 7 Nicotinic Receptor in SchizophreniaSherry Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The 17 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) is a replicated candidate gene for schizophrenia and is also protective in inflammation and stress...
- Dissecting the Cytoplasmic Interactome of the Alpha7 nACHR SubtypeWILLIAM J BRUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): The goals of this study are to discover the cytoplasmic interactome of the a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) subtype and how this interactome is altered by chronic nicotine exposure...
- Astrocytes and physiological amyloid-beta signaling.Linda Lee; Fiscal Year: 2011..in-vivo, synaptic plasticity and memory are enhanced in mice via a process that is dependent on the a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (a7-nAChR)...
- Peripheral Nicotinic Cholinergic and Inflammatory Dysfunction in AgingLorise C Gahring; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recent key findings in the mouse skin include: 1) the nAChRa7 subtype modulates expression of suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 (SOCS3);2) the nAChR:inflammatory interaction ..
- David A Scott; Fiscal Year: 2016..In addition o the PI3K/ AKT cascade, this renewal will also consider the a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-dependent cholinergic and the Wnt3a anti- inflammatory pathways...
- Arthur L Beaudet; Fiscal Year: 2014..deleting or duplicating multiple contiguous genes and on point mutations within individual genes, especially CHRNA7. Previous work on this project has focused on Prader- Willi syndrome (PWS) and Angelman syndrome (AS), caused by ..
- TRANSIENT EXPRESSION OF CHOLINERGIC MARKERS IN THE PVCNBarbara J Morley; Fiscal Year: 2010..Acetylcholine (ACh), acetylcholinesterase (AChE) and the a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) are among the neurochemicals that regulate synaptic events, including the expression of ..
- In vivo studies of Neuregulin 1 in addiction pathwaysLorna Role; Fiscal Year: 2006..be examined include the isoform specific: Type Ill-Nrg1 heterozygous mutant (Nrg1) and the a7 nAChR subunit mutant Chrna7()...
- MOLECULAR NEUROBIOLOGY OF SCHIZOPHRENIARobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2008..In the proposed Center, we will continue to identify CHRNA7 polymorphisms (Project 1)...
- Allosteric Coupling in Homomeric Cys-loop ReceptorsSTEVEN SINE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Knowledge of how Cys-loop receptors operate at the molecular level is essential to developing therapeutic strategies and drugs with fewer side effects. ..
- LONG TERM HIPPOCAMPAL MEMORYPramod Dash; Fiscal Year: 2001..Understanding the molecular basis of memory storage will be of value in the future development of pharmacological agents to treat amnesia associated with neurological disorders and other mental health related problems. ..
- Prefrontal cortex and memory storagePramod K Dash; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Nicotinic Agonist in ShizophreniaRobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2010..We are studying a new, nicotine-like drug, that does not have the harmful effects of tobacco, but may help persons with schizophrenia to think better. ..
- Working memory deficits following brain traumaPramod Dash; Fiscal Year: 2009..An understanding of the mechanisms by which TBI alters dopamine signaling is critical for the development of mechanism-based intelligent pharmacological treatments for working memory deficits for brain trauma patients. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIARobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The goal of the study is to identify one or more SZ susceptibility genes whose subsequent characterization inmolecular and functional studies will elucidate the pathophysiology and treatment of SZ. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS OF MEMORY DEFICITS FOLLOWING BRAIN INJURYPramod Dash; Fiscal Year: 2006..Furthermore, this project will broaden our understanding of the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases such as stroke and Alzheimer's disease. ..
- CNS Disease and Autoimmunity of Glutamate ReceptorsScott Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY OF SENSORY GATING IN SCHIZOPHRENIARobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are complex illnesses with multiple genetic and non-genetic elements. The goal of this project is elucidate one of these elements as they are discovered. ..
- NICOTINIC SYNAPTIC TRANSMISSION IN THE HIPPOCAMPUSRobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Genetic Studies of Substance Abuse in Iowa AdopteesRobert Philibert; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Circadian Variations in Nicotine Sensitivity in MiceJerry Stitzel; Fiscal Year: 2008..This knowledge would be extremely useful for the development of better methods to treat nicotine addiction. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A thyroid receptor co-activator hypothesis for psychosisRobert Philibert; Fiscal Year: 2005..The net effect will be to produce an independent investigator capable of functional and translational research. ..
- Identification of Functional nAChR Variants in MiceJerry Stitzel; Fiscal Year: 2005..By elucidating which nicotinic receptor subtypes are critical for the establishment of nicotine dependence, more effective pharmacological strategies for smoking cessation may be developed. ..