Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CHRNA7
Description: cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha 7 (neuronal)
Alias: CHRNA7-2, NACHRA7, a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, alpha-7 nicotinic cholinergic receptor subunit, cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha polypeptide 7, neuronal acetylcholine receptor protein, alpha-7 chain, neuronal acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha-7
Publications147 found, 100 shown here
- Recruitment of α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor to caveolin-1-enriched lipid rafts is required for nicotine-enhanced Escherichia coli K1 entry into brain endothelial cellsFeng Chi
Saban Research Institute of Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Department of Pediatrics, University of Southern California, USA
Future Microbiol 6:953-66. 2011....
- Molecular modeling of human pentameric alpha(7) neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and its interaction with its agonist and competitive antagonistMarimuthu Parthiban
Department of Bioinformatics, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, India
J Biomol Struct Dyn 26:535-47. 2009..These results provide the details of interaction of agonists and competitive antagonists with three dimensional model of the N-terminal region of human alpha(7)nAChR and thereby point to the design of novel lead compounds...
- [Role of smoking and nicotine in neuropsychiatric disorders: evidence for therapeutic role of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors]Hisatsugu Miyata
Department of Psychiatry, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishi shimbashi, Minato ku, Tokyo, 105 8461 Japan
Nihon Shinkei Seishin Yakurigaku Zasshi 28:149-58. 2008..The possible mechanisms underlying these beneficial effects as well as the characteristics and potential therapeutic use of new, subtype-selective nAChRs agonists are presented...
- Functional properties of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors co-expressed with RIC-3 in a stable recombinant CHO-K1 cell lineRenza Roncarati
Discovery Research, Siena Biotech S p A, Siena, Italy
Assay Drug Dev Technol 6:181-93. 2008..This recombinant cell system is useful for characterization of alpha7 nAChRs and to study the mechanism of action of chemical modulators, in particular the detection of PAMs capable of slowing receptor desensitization kinetics...
- Receptor-mediated tobacco toxicity: acceleration of sequential expression of alpha5 and alpha7 nicotinic receptor subunits in oral keratinocytes exposed to cigarette smokeJuan Arredondo
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, C340 Medical Sciences I, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
FASEB J 22:1356-68. 2008....
- Structures and molecular mechanisms for common 15q13.3 microduplications involving CHRNA7: benign or pathological?Przemyslaw Szafranski
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Hum Mutat 31:840-50. 2010..6-Mb microduplications and 55 smaller 350-680-kb microduplications at 15q13.2-q13.3 involving the CHRNA7 gene that were detected by clinical microarray analysis...
- Investigating the contribution of common genetic variants to the risk and pathogenesis of ADHDEvangelia Stergiakouli
MRC Centre in Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff, Wales
Am J Psychiatry 169:186-94. 2012..The authors undertook a GWAS of ADHD and examined whether associated SNPs, including those below conventional levels of significance, influenced the same biological pathways affected by CNVs...
- Nicotine promotes cell proliferation via alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and catecholamine-synthesizing enzymes-mediated pathway in human colon adenocarcinoma HT-29 cellsHelen Pui Shan Wong
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 221:261-7. 2007..These data reveal the contributory role alpha7-nAChR and beta-adrenoceptors in the tumorigenesis of colon cancer cells and partly elucidate the carcinogenic action of cigarette smoke on colon cancer...
- Upregulation of nuclear factor-kappaB expression by SLURP-1 is mediated by alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and involves both ionic events and activation of protein kinasesAlexander I Chernyavsky
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 299:C903-11. 2010..Thus, there exists a previously not appreciated network of noncanonical auto/paracrine ligands of nAChR of the Ly-6 protein family, which merits further investigations...
- Cholinergic modulation of angiogenesis: role of the 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorJenny C F Wu
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Cell Biochem 108:433-46. 2009..Other subunits play a modulatory role. These findings may have therapeutic implications for diseases characterized by pathological angiogenesis...
- Incorporation of the beta3 subunit has a dominant-negative effect on the function of recombinant central-type neuronal nicotinic receptorsSteven Broadbent
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower St, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Mol Pharmacol 70:1350-7. 2006..This raises the possibility of a novel regulatory role for the beta3 subunit on neuronal nicotinic signaling in the central nervous system...
- Receptor-mediated tobacco toxicity: cooperation of the Ras/Raf-1/MEK1/ERK and JAK-2/STAT-3 pathways downstream of alpha7 nicotinic receptor in oral keratinocytesJuan Arredondo
Department of Dermatology, University of California Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
FASEB J 20:2093-101. 2006....
- beta-Amyloid(1-42) binds to alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor with high affinity. Implications for Alzheimer's disease pathologyH Y Wang
R W Johnson Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Spring House, Pennsylvania 19477 0776, USA
J Biol Chem 275:5626-32. 2000....
- Oligomeric aggregates of amyloid beta peptide 1-42 activate ERK/MAPK in SH-SY5Y cells via the alpha7 nicotinic receptorKirk F Young
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
Neurochem Int 55:796-801. 2009..Oligomeric aggregates of Abeta42 are the principal structural form of the peptide that activates ERK/MAPK in SH-SY5Y cells and these effects are mediated by the alpha7 nAChR...
- Correlation of a set of gene variants, life events and personality features on adult ADHD severityDaniel J Muller
Neurogenetics Section, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health CAMH, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1R8
J Psychiatr Res 44:598-604. 2010..Common polymorphisms within a set of nine important candidate genes (SLC6A3, DBH, DRD4, DRD5, HTR2A, CHRNA7, BDNF, PRKG1 and TAAR9) were genotyped for each subject...
- Ric-3 promotes functional expression of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit in mammalian cellsMark E Williams
Merck Research Laboratories, San Diego, California 92121, USA
J Biol Chem 280:1257-63. 2005..Thus, ric-3 appears to be necessary for proper folding and/or assembly of alpha7 receptors in HEK293 cells...
- Association of promoter variants in the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene with an inhibitory deficit found in schizophreniaSherry Leonard
Department of Psychiatry, Campus Box C 268 71, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E Ninth Ave, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:1085-96. 2002The alpha7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) has been implicated as a candidate gene for schizophrenia, and for an auditory sensory processing deficit found in the disease, by both genetic linkage at 15q14 ..
- The α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and the acute stress response: maternal genotype determines offspring phenotypeMelissa L Sinkus
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver, CO 80045, USA
Physiol Behav 104:321-6. 2011..Therefore, the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) may be associated with cortisol stress response...
- Human alpha 7 acetylcholine receptor: cloning of the alpha 7 subunit from the SH-SY5Y cell line and determination of pharmacological properties of native receptors and functional alpha 7 homomers expressed in Xenopus oocytesX Peng
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia 19104 6074
Mol Pharmacol 45:546-54. 1994....
- Chronic exposure to estrogen and the tobacco carcinogen NNK cooperatively modulates nicotinic receptors in small airway epithelial cellsHussein A N Al-Wadei
Experimental Oncology Laboratory, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Lung Cancer 69:33-9. 2010..This selective imbalance in stimulatory and inhibitory signaling may contribute to the development and progression of small airway-derived adenocarcinoma in women who smoke...
- A 3-Mb map of a large Segmental duplication overlapping the alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) at human 15q13-q14Brien Riley
Social Genetic Developmental and Psychiatric Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London, SE5 8AF, UK
Genomics 79:197-209. 2002..to human 15q13-q14, which contains a strong candidate in the alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) and is partly duplicated, complicating further genetic analysis...
- Linkage disequilibrium analysis of the CHRNA7 gene and its partially duplicated region in schizophreniaYasuhide Iwata
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, 1 Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Neurosci Res 57:194-202. 2007Several previous studies have reported a significant linkage between markers in the alpha 7 nicotinic cholinergic receptor subunit (CHRNA7) gene and either schizophrenia or the P50 sensory gating deficit, a schizophrenia endophenotype...
- The -2 bp deletion in exon 6 of the 'alpha 7-like' nicotinic receptor subunit gene is a risk factor for the P50 sensory gating deficitG Raux
INSERM EMI 9906, IRFMP, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Rouen, France
Mol Psychiatry 7:1006-11. 2002..Two related alpha 7 genes (CHRNA7 and CHRNA7-like gene) resulting from a partial duplication (from exon 5 to exon 10) are present in the human ..
- Episodic memory performance predicted by the 2bp deletion in exon 6 of the "alpha 7-like" nicotinic receptor subunit geneEmma L Dempster
Division of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Toronto Western Research Institute, Toronto Western Hospital, McLaughlin Pavillion, 6th Floor Room 415, 399 Bathurst St, Toronto, Ont M5T 2S8, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 163:1832-4. 2006..Chromosome 15q14 harbors the alpha-7 nicotinic receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) and a hybrid gene of unknown function (CHRFAM7A)...
- Genomic organization and partial duplication of the human alpha7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7)J Gault
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, 80262, USA
Genomics 52:173-85. 1998The human alpha7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (HGMW-approved symbol CHRNA7) has been characterized from genomic clones...
- Alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor mRNA expression and binding in postmortem human brain are associated with genetic variation in neuregulin 1Shiny V Mathew
Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1385, USA
Hum Mol Genet 16:2921-32. 2007..Together, these results suggest that the molecular mechanism of the association between NRG1 risk alleles and schizophrenia may include down-regulation of nAChR alpha7 expression...
- Interaction of tobacco-specific toxicants with the neuronal alpha(7) nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and its associated mitogenic signal transduction pathway: potential role in lung carcinogenesis and pediatric lung disordersH M Schuller
Carcinogenesis and Developmental Therapeutics Program, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37909 1071, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 393:265-77. 2000..Similarly, up-regulation of one or several components of this nicotinic receptor pathway in smokers may be an important factor for the development of small cell lung carcinoma...
- alpha 7 nicotinic receptor transduces signals to phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase to block A beta-amyloid-induced neurotoxicityT Kihara
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:13541-6. 2001..These findings indicate that the alpha7 nicotinic receptor transduces signals to PI3K in a cascade, which ultimately contributes to a neuroprotective effect. This might form the basis of a new treatment for AD...
- The copy number variant involving part of the alpha7 nicotinic receptor gene contains a polymorphic inversionRachel H Flomen
Department of Psychological Medicine, Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 16:1364-71. 2008The alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) is located at 15q13-q14 in a region that is strongly linked to the P50 sensory gating deficit, an endophenotype of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder...
- Alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene and reduced risk of Alzheimer's diseaseR Carson
J Med Genet 45:244-8. 2008..We sought to investigate the role of the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) in influencing risk of AD in a large population...
- Population-based and family-based association studies of an (AC)n dinucleotide repeat in alpha-7 nicotinic receptor subunit gene and schizophreniaJin Bo Fan
Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institute of Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 200031, China
Schizophr Res 84:222-7. 2006The human alpha-7 neuronal nicotinic receptor subunit (CHRNA7) gene, located at chromosome 15q13.2, represents a strong candidate gene for schizophrenia...
- The promoter -194 C polymorphism of the nicotinic alpha 7 receptor gene has a protective effect against the P50 sensory gating deficitE Houy
INSERM EMI 9906, IFRMP, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Rouen, France
Mol Psychiatry 9:320-2. 2004..shown a significant association between the presence of at least one -2 bp deletion located within exon 6 of the CHRNA7-like gene and the P50 abnormality in the general population...
- A novel permutation testing method implicates sixteen nicotinic acetylcholine receptor genes as risk factors for smoking in schizophrenia familiesStephen V Faraone
Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 37 Shields Avenue, Boston, MA 02301, USA
Hum Hered 57:59-68. 2004..044) and (CHRNB2, p = 0.015) and two genes were marginally significant (CHRNA7, p = 0.095; CHRNA1, p = 0.076)...
- Mice deficient in CHRNA7, a subunit of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, produce sperm with impaired motilityChristopher Bray
Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, 95616 8643, USA
Biol Reprod 73:807-14. 2005In this study we investigate the role of the CHRNA7 subunit (also known as the alpha7 subunit) of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in mouse sperm function...
- Chrna7 genotype is linked with alpha7 nicotinic receptor expression but not alpha7 RNA levelsNathanial P Brooks
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80303, USA
Brain Res 1263:1-9. 2009..in alpha-bungarotoxin binding between the mouse strains C3H/Ibg and DBA/2 have been linked to polymorphisms in Chrna7, the gene that encodes the alpha7 subunit...
- Association of alpha4beta2 nicotinic receptor and heavy smoking in schizophreniaSophocles Voineskos
Neurogenetics Section, Clarke Site, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
J Psychiatry Neurosci 32:412-6. 2007Previously we suggested that the CHRNA7 polymorphism in nicotinic receptor genes, in particular the D15S1360 in CHRNA7, is associated with smoking in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia patients are usually heavy smokers...
- Schizophrenia and smoking: evidence for a common neurobiological basis?H H Stassen
Research Department, Psychiatric University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Med Genet 96:173-7. 2000..D15S1360 and L76630 that are localized in a genomic fragment containing the alpha 7-nicotinic receptor gene CHRNA7. Highly significant differences (P < 0...
- Further evidence of genetic heterogeneity in families with autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsyElvira V De Marco
Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, Mangone CS, Italy
Epilepsy Res 74:70-3. 2007..Here, we investigated whether nine brain-expressed genes (CHRNA2, CHRNA3, CHRNA4, CHRNA5, CHRNA6, CHRNA7, CHRNB2, CHRNB3, CHRNB4), encoding distinct nAChR subunits, and CRH are associated with the disease in three ..
- alpha7 nicotinic receptor gene promoter polymorphisms in inbred mice affect expression in a cell type-specific fashionSharon Mexal
Institute for Behavioral Genetics and Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309, USA
J Biol Chem 282:13220-7. 2007..the inter-strain binding differences are linked to a restriction length polymorphism in the alpha7 nAChR gene, Chrna7. Despite this finding, the molecular mechanism(s) through which genetic variability in Chrna7 may contribute to ..
- Genetic mapping of putative Chrna7 and Luzp2 neuronal transcriptional enhancers due to impact of a transgene-insertion and 6.8 Mb deletion in a mouse model of Prader-Willi and Angelman syndromesMihaela Stefan
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
BMC Genomics 6:157. 2005..In this study, we define the deletion endpoints and examine the impact on expression of flanking genes...
- P50 sensory gating deficit in children with centrotemporal spikes and sharp waves in the EEGBarbara J Fiedler
University Children s Hospital Munster, Department of Neuropediatrics, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Neurosci Lett 393:206-10. 2006..In several studies, a pathogenic role of the CHRNA7 gene and the CHRNA7-like gene, respectively, is suggested...
- Genetic mapping of a major susceptibility locus for juvenile myoclonic epilepsy on chromosome 15qF V Elmslie
Department of Paediatrics, University College London Medical School, The Rayne Institute, UK
Hum Mol Genet 6:1329-34. 1997..was found to polymorphic loci encompassing the region in which the gene encoding the alpha7 subunit of nAChR (CHRNA7) maps on chromosome 15q14 (HLOD = 4.4 at alpha = 0.65; Z(all) = 2.94, P = 0.0005)...
- Pharmacological properties of the homomeric alpha 7 receptorD Bertrand
Department of Physiology, CMU, Geneva, Switzerland
Neurosci Lett 146:87-90. 1992The pharmacological properties of the alpha-bungarotoxin sensitive alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) were studied upon reconstitution in Xenopus oocytes...
- No association between CHRNA7 microsatellite markers and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderL Kent
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Neuroscience, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Am J Med Genet 105:686-9. 2001..previously been studied in schizophrenia where the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha 7 subunit gene (CHRNA7) has been implicated in decreased P50 inhibition and attentional disturbances in patients with schizophrenia and ..
- Novel G423S mutation of human alpha7 nicotinic receptor promotes agonist-induced desensitization by a protein kinase C-dependent mechanismHiroshi Tsuneki
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Mol Pharmacol 71:777-86. 2007The alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit (CHRNA7) gene harbors a high degree of polymorphism. In this study, we found a novel variant (1267 G to A) in exon 10 of the CHRNA7 gene in a Japanese population...
- Haplotype transmission disequilibrium and evidence for linkage of the CHRNA7 gene region to schizophrenia in Southern African Bantu familiesB P Riley
Departments of Psychological Medicine and Neuroscience, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
Am J Med Genet 96:196-201. 2000..647, 4 df, P=0.007, and a maximum chi(2) of 6.567, 1 df, P=0.004 for excess transmission of the 1.2 haplotype into affected offspring. Am. J. Med. Genet. (Neuropsychiatr. Genet.) 96:196-201, 2000...
- Differential regulation of alpha7 nicotinic receptor gene (CHRNA7) expression in schizophrenic smokersSharon Mexal
Cenomed BioSciences, Irvine, CA, USA
J Mol Neurosci 40:185-95. 2010The alpha7 neuronal nicotinic receptor gene (CHRNA7) has been implicated in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia by genetic and pharmacological studies...
- Serious obstetric complications interact with hypoxia-regulated/vascular-expression genes to influence schizophrenia riskK K Nicodemus
Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Psychiatry 13:873-7. 2008..candidate genes regulated by hypoxia or involved in vascular function in the brain (AKT1, BDNF, CAPON, CHRNA7, COMT, DTNBP1, GAD1, GRM3, NOTCH4, NRG1, PRODH, RGS4, TNF-alpha) interacted with serious obstetric complications ..
- Association study of CHRFAM7A copy number and 2 bp deletion polymorphisms with schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorderRachel H Flomen
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 141:571-5. 2006..Markers in the vicinity of the CHRNA7 gene at 15q13-q14 have been linked with an endophenotype of schizophrenia, P50 sensory gating disorder, with ..
- High content screen microscopy analysis of A beta 1-42-induced neurite outgrowth reduction in rat primary cortical neurons: neuroprotective effects of alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor ligandsMin Hu
Neuroscience Research, Abbott Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6125, USA
Brain Res 1151:227-35. 2007....
- CHRFAM7A copy number and 2-bp deletion polymorphisms and antisaccade performanceNadine Petrovsky
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Bonn, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:267-73. 2009Chromosome 15q13-q14 harbours the gene for the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit (CHRNA7) and a related gene (CHRFAM7A) which arises from a partly duplicated portion of CHRNA7...
- Genomic polymorphisms within alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and severe sepsis in Chinese Han populationY Jin
Department of Anesthesiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Qingchun Road 79, Hangzhou, China
Int J Immunogenet 37:361-5. 2010..The predisposition of genomic polymorphisms within alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) to sepsis has not been investigated...
- Multiple cholinergic nicotinic receptor genes affect nicotine dependence risk in African and European AmericansN L Saccone
Department of Genetics, Washington University, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
Genes Brain Behav 9:741-50. 2010..Variants in or near CHRND-CHRNG, CHRNA7 and CHRNA10 show modest association with nicotine dependence risk in the AA sample...
- Delineation of 15q13.3 microdeletionsA Masurel-Paulet
Centre de Génétique et Centre de Référence Anomalies du Développement et Syndromes Malformatifs, Hôpital d Enfants, CHU, Dijon
Clin Genet 78:149-61. 2010..with this microdeletion generally present with relatively consistent breakpoints at BP4 and BP5, which include the CHRNA7 gene. About 100 index cases have been reported since the first publication in 2008...
- Cloning and mapping of the mouse alpha 7-neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptorA Orr-Urtreger
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Genomics 26:399-402. 1995We report the isolation of cDNA clones for the mouse alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit (gene symbol Acra7), the only nicotinic receptor subunit known to bind alpha-bungarotoxin in mammalian brain...
- Genetics of chromosome 15q13-q14 in schizophreniaSherry Leonard
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Fitzsimmons Campus, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:115-22. 2006..There is also biological data showing that a candidate gene in the region, the alpha7 nicotinic receptor CHRNA7, plays a seminal role in the linked endophenotype, and is decreased in expression in the patient population...
- Refinement of a chimpanzee pericentric inversion breakpoint to a segmental duplication clusterDevin P Locke
Department of Genetics, Center for Computational Genomics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Genome Biol 4:R50. 2003..Reproductive isolation and subsequent speciation are thought to be the potential result of pericentric inversions, as reproductive boundaries form as a result of hybrid sterility...
- [Gene polymorphism and gene expression in schizophrenia]Trixler Mátyás
PTE AOK Pszichiatriai es Pszichoterapias Klinika, Pecs
Psychiatr Hung 21:404-12. 2006..Several susceptibility genes [including COMT, dysbindin, neuregulin, DISCI, RGS4, GRM3, G72, PPP3CC, CHRNA7, PRODH2, Aktl, 5qGABA(A)] having physiological function in the brain have been identified and this supports the ..
- Gene regulation by hypoxia and the neurodevelopmental origin of schizophreniaRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Division of Cellular Neuroscience, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 84:253-71. 2006..The analysis showed that more than 50% of these genes, particularly AKT1, BDNF, CAPON, CCKAR, CHRNA7, CNR1, COMT, DNTBP1, GAD1, GRM3, IL10, MLC1, NOTCH4, NRG1, NR4A2/NURR1, PRODH, RELN, RGS4, RTN4/NOGO and TNF, are ..
- Performance deficit of alpha7 nicotinic receptor knockout mice in a delayed matching-to-place task suggests a mild impairment of working/episodic-like memoryC Fernandes
Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
Genes Brain Behav 5:433-40. 2006..Consequently, we tested mice lacking the alpha7 subunit of the neural nicotinic receptor (B6.129S7-Chrna7(tm1Bay)/J) in the delayed matching-to-place (DMP) task of the Morris water maze, a measure of working/episodic ..
- Evidence for association of the non-duplicated region of CHRNA7 gene with bipolar disorder but not with SchizophreniaInés Ancín
aBiomedical Research Foundation bDepartment of Psychiatry, Clinico San Carlos Hospital, Madrid cDepartment of Psychiatry, Virgen de la Luz Hospital, Cuenca, Spain
Psychiatr Genet 20:289-97. 2010..evidence in both human and animal studies suggests α7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) as a suitable functional candidate for genetic studies in psychiatric populations...
- A recurrent 15q13.3 microdeletion syndrome associated with mental retardation and seizuresAndrew J Sharp
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1705 NE Pacific St, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Nat Genet 40:322-8. 2008..This recurrent 1.5-Mb deletion contains six genes, including a candidate gene for epilepsy (CHRNA7) that is probably responsible for the observed seizure phenotype...
- Targeting alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the treatment of schizophreniaMihaly Hajos
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Pfizer Inc, Eastern Point Rd, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Curr Pharm Des 16:538-54. 2010..Since genetic linkage studies implicated the alpha7 nAChRs subunit gene CHRNA7 in schizophrenia, there is a considerable interest for developing drug therapies targeting alpha7 nAChRs...
- A small recurrent deletion within 15q13.3 is associated with a range of neurodevelopmental phenotypesMarwan Shinawi
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Genet 41:1269-71. 2009..3. Although this deletion also affects OTUD7A, accumulated data suggest that haploinsufficiency of CHRNA7 is causative for the majority of neurodevelopmental phenotypes in the 15q13.3 microdeletion syndrome.
- Genome-wide scan of copy number variation in late-onset Alzheimer's diseaseErin L Heinzen
Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Center for Human Genome Variation, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 19:69-77. 2010..In this analysis, no new SNPs show genome-wide significance. We also screened for effects of copy number variation, and while nothing was significant, a duplication in CHRNA7 appears interesting enough to warrant further investigation.
- A 5.6-Mb deletion in 15q14 in a boy with speech and language disorder, cleft palate, epilepsy, a ventricular septal defect, mental retardation and developmental delayChih Ping Chen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, 92, Section 2, Chung Shan North Road, Taipei 104, Taiwan
Eur J Med Genet 51:368-72. 2008..The present case provides the evidence that 15q14 deletion outside the region encompassing the CHRNA7 gene can cause generalized epilepsy, and a locus in 15q14 is associated with speech and language disorder.
- Alpha 7 subunit of nAChR regulates migration of human mesenchymal stem cellsIngrid U Schraufstatter
Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Stem Cells 4:203-15. 2009..These findings reveal an involvement of the non-neural cholinergic system in regulation of hMSC migration...
- Pharmacological characterization of native α7 nicotinic ACh receptors and their contribution to depolarization-elicited exocytosis in human chromaffin cellsAlberto Pérez-Alvarez
Departamento de Farmacologia y Terapeutica, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 165:908-21. 2012..Expression of α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) and their role in exocytosis have not yet been examined in human chromaffin cells...
- Four new loci associations discovered by pathway-based and network analyses of the genome-wide variability profile of Hirschsprung's diseaseRaquel Ma Fernández
Department of Genetics, Reproduction and Fetal Medicine, Institute of Biomedicine of Seville IBIS, University Hospital Virgen del Rocío CSIC University of Seville, Seville, Spain
Orphanet J Rare Dis 7:103. 2012..Among the preselected candidates, a total of 4 loci, RASGEF1A, IQGAP2, DLC1 and CHRNA7, related to signal transduction and migration processes, were found to be significantly associated to HSCR...
- Genome-wide gene expression in a patient with 15q13.3 homozygous microdeletion syndromeJean Baptiste Le Pichon
Section of Neurology, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, MO, USA
Eur J Hum Genet 21:1093-9. 2013..We further investigated the role of CHRNA7 by measuring TNFα modulation (a potentially important pathway in regulating synaptic plasticity)...
- A transcript coding for a partially duplicated form of α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor is absent from the CD4+ T-lymphocytes of patients with autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy (ADNFLE)Agata Rozycka
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Folia Neuropathol 51:65-75. 2013It has been suggested that the homomer-forming α7 subunit (CHRNA7) of the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) is involved in the pathogenesis of common idiopathic generalized epilepsies (IGEs), whereas mutations of the gene ..
- The association between CHRN genetic variants and dizziness at first inhalation of cigarette smokeMaxime Pedneault
CRCHUM, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Addict Behav 39:316-20. 2014..this study was to investigate the association between 61 SNPs in eight CHRN genes (CHRNA3, CHRNA4, CHRNA5, CHRNA6, CHRNA7, CHRNB2, CHRNB3, CHRNB4) and dizziness at first inhalation...
- Up-regulation of the neuronal nicotinic receptor α7 by HIV glycoprotein 120: potential implications for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorderLeomar Y Ballester
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Biol Chem 287:3079-86. 2012..In summary, CXCR4 activation induces up-regulation of α7-nAChR, causing cell death, suggesting that α7-nAChR is a previously unrecognized contributor to the neurotoxicity associated with HIV infection...
- Effects of an alpha 7-nicotinic agonist on default network activity in schizophreniaJason R Tregellas
Department of Psychiatry, Denver VA Medical Center, VISN19 MIRECC, Colorado, USA
Biol Psychiatry 69:7-11. 2011..This study examined the effects of DMXB-A on default network activity as a biomarker for drug effects on pathologic brain function associated with schizophrenia...
- Shared susceptibility region on chromosome 15 between autism and catatoniaYvon C Chagnon
Laval University Robert Giffard Research Center, Beauport, Quebec, Canada
Int Rev Neurobiol 72:165-78. 2006..Further, fine mapping and candidate gene analyses are needed to highlight potential common genes between ASD and catatonia for this chromosome...
- Localization by site-directed mutagenesis of a galantamine binding site on α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor extracellular domainJurgen Ludwig
Galantos Pharma GmbH, Mainz, Germany
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 30:469-83. 2010....
- Cell specific synovial expression of nicotinic alpha 7 acetylcholine receptor in rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritisM Westman
Unit of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Immunol 70:136-40. 2009..These results indicate the importance of alpha7nAChR and cholinergic mechanisms in arthritis pathogenesis and implicate specific cholinergic modulation as a potential anti-inflammatory therapeutic strategy in joint inflammation...
- Strain dependent effects of prenatal stress on gene expression in the rat hippocampusEric W Neeley
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Physiol Behav 104:334-9. 2011..when compared to Lewis or Sprague-Dawley rats, though the Fischer rats had markedly higher α7 nicotinic receptor (Chrna7) expression...
- Delineation of the role of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor genes in alcohol preference in miceMelissa N Symons
Molecular Genetics Unit, Department of Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, ON N6A 5B7, Canada
Behav Genet 40:660-71. 2010..This report explores the association between six nAChR subunit genes (Chrna3, Chrna4, Chrnb4, Chrnb2, Chrna5, and Chrna7) with alcohol preference (AP) using co-segregation of AP with nAChR subunit genotypes in a F(2) population ..
- A 15q13.3 homozygous microdeletion associated with a severe neurodevelopmental disorder suggests putative functions of the TRPM1, CHRNA7, and other homozygously deleted genesJean Baptiste Lepichon
Section of Neurology, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, MO, USA
Am J Med Genet A 152:1300-4. 2010..M, Member 1 (TRPM1) gene product is proposed as a possible mechanism for the severe visual impairment; absence of CHRNA7 (alpha7-nicotinic receptor subunit) as a cause of the refractory seizures and severe cognitive impairment; and ..
- Why do young women smoke? VI. A controlled study of nicotine effects on attention: pharmacogenetic interactionsA Rigbi
Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Pharmacogenomics J 11:45-52. 2011..04). An interactive effect of genetic profile was demonstrated for SNP rs2337980 in CHRNA7. These findings suggest that nicotine may have stronger short-term facilitating effects on attention in women who ..
- Coupling of ionic events to protein kinase signaling cascades upon activation of alpha7 nicotinic receptor: cooperative regulation of alpha2-integrin expression and Rho kinase activityAlexander I Chernyavsky
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
J Biol Chem 284:22140-8. 2009....
- Resequencing of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor genes and association of common and rare variants with the Fagerström test for nicotine dependenceJennifer Wessel
Center for Health Sciences, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:2392-402. 2010..Both common and/or rare SNP/SNVs from multiple nAChR subunit genes are associated with the FTND score in this sample of treatment-seeking smokers...
- CHRNA5 as negative regulator of nicotine signaling in normal and cancer bronchial cells: effects on motility, migration and p63 expressionAnnette M Krais
Group of Molecular Carcinogenesis, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Carcinogenesis 32:1388-95. 2011..The effects on motility were enhanced by addition of nicotine but blocked by inhibiting CHRNA7, which encodes the homopentameric receptor α7 subunit...
- A cog in cognition: how the alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor is geared towards improving cognitive deficitsSteven C Leiser
Discovery Neuroscience, Wyeth Research, Princeton, NJ 08543, United States
Pharmacol Ther 122:302-11. 2009..This review will focus on the recent work highlighting the role of alpha7 in cognition and cognitive processes...
- Examination of the nicotine dependence (NICSNP) consortium findings in the Iowa adoption studies populationRobert A Philibert
Department of Psychiatry and Neuroscience and Genetics Programs, University of Iowa, Rm 2 126 MEB, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 11:286-92. 2009..Two of the most prominent studies were conducted by the Collaborative Study of the Genetics of Nicotine Dependence (NICSNP) Consortium using both candidate gene and high-density association approaches...
- Cortical alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and beta-amyloid levels in early Alzheimer diseaseMilos D Ikonomovic
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Arch Neurol 66:646-51. 2009..To examine alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) binding and beta-amyloid (Abeta) peptide load in superior frontal cortex (SFC) across clinical and neuropathological stages of Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- Transcriptional repression of the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit gene (CHRNA7) by activating protein-2α (AP-2α)Jessica Finlay-Schultz
Departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Biol Chem 286:42123-32. 2011The CHRNA7 gene, which encodes the α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α7*nAChR), has been implicated as a candidate gene in schizophrenia...
- A small homozygous microdeletion of 15q13.3 including the CHRNA7 gene in a girl with a spectrum of severe neurodevelopmental featuresJun Liao
Pittsburgh Cytogenetics Laboratory, Center for Medical Genetics and Genomics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Med Genet A 155:2795-800. 2011..3 homozygous microdeletion reported to date and contains only the CHRNA7 gene...
- Clinically relevant single gene or intragenic deletions encompassing critical neurodevelopmental genes in patients with developmental delay, mental retardation, and/or autism spectrum disordersFady M Mikhail
Department of Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Am J Med Genet A 155:2386-96. 2011..2), and genes involved in neurotransmission (CHRNA7 at 15q13.3 and IL1RAPL1 at Xp21.2p21.3)...
- Microdeletion/duplication at 15q13.2q13.3 among individuals with features of autism and other neuropsychiatric disordersD T Miller
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Med Genet 46:242-8. 2009..Segmental duplications at breakpoints (BP4-BP5) of chromosome 15q13.2q13.3 mediate a recurrent genomic imbalance syndrome associated with mental retardation, epilepsy, and/or electroencephalogram (EEG) abnormalities...
- Genetic Association Study of the Alpha 7 Nicotinic Receptor (CHRNA7) with the Development of Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder in Korean PopulationEun Jeong Joo
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Eulji University School of Medicine, Eulji General Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Psychiatry Investig 7:196-201. 2010b>CHRNA7 has been shown to be a strong candidate gene for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It is located on chromosome 15q13-q14, which is one of the replicated linkage spots for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- PATE gene clusters code for multiple, secreted TFP/Ly-6/uPAR proteins that are expressed in reproductive and neuron-rich tissues and possess neuromodulatory activityFiana Levitin
Department of Cell Research and Immunology, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, 69978 Israel
J Biol Chem 283:16928-39. 2008..Taken together, our findings indicate that in addition to participation of the PATE (Pate)-like genes in functions related to fertility and reproduction, some of them likely act as important modulators of neural transmission...
- Exclusion of the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit gene as a candidate for catatonic schizophrenia in a large family supporting the chromosome 15q13-22 locusJ Meyer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Mol Psychiatry 7:220-3. 2002The gene encoding the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit (CHRNA7) is located on chromosome 15q13.2...
- Difference in the expression of alpha 7 nicotinic receptors in the placenta in normal versus severe preeclampsia pregnanciesJa Young Kwon
Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemoon Gu, Seoul 120 752, South Korea
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 132:35-9. 2007..Therefore, we investigated the difference in the placental expression of the alpha7 nAChR in normal versus severe preeclampsia placentas...
- Proof-of-concept trial of an alpha7 nicotinic agonist in schizophreniaAnn Olincy
Department of Veterans Affairs Schizophrenia Research Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:630-8. 2006The alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene, CHRNA7, is associated with genetic transmission of schizophrenia and related cognitive and neurophysiological sensory gating deficits...
- Immunologic role of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway and the nicotinic acetylcholine alpha 7 receptorMargot Gallowitsch-Puerta
Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, NY 11030 3816, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1062:209-19. 2005..It may be possible to exploit this pathway to therapeutic advantage for diseases caused by excessive cytokine activity...
- Role of the large cytoplasmic loop of the alpha 7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit in receptor expression and functionLuis M Valor
Instituto de Neurociencias, Universidad Miguel Hernandez CSIC, Campus de San Juan, 03550 San Juan Alicante Spain
Biochemistry 41:7931-8. 2002....
- Why do young women smoke? I. Direct and interactive effects of environment, psychological characteristics and nicotinic cholinergic receptor genesL Greenbaum
Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Mol Psychiatry 11:312-22, 223. 2006..007-0.05) in CHRNB2 and nominal (P<0.05) allelic or genotypic association of SNPs in CHRNA7 (rs1909884), CHRNA9 (rs4861065) and CHRNB3 (rs9298629) with nicotine dependence...
- Channel opening motion of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor as suggested by normal mode analysisXiaolin Cheng
Center for Theoretical Biological Physics, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0365, USA
J Mol Biol 355:310-24. 2006..Finally, as a further goal of the present study, an approximate open channel model, consistent with many experimental findings, has been produced...
- Early biomarkers of psychosisRobert Freedman
Department of Psychiatry C 268 71, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 7:17-29. 2005..Examples are given from work on the role of the alpha(T)nicotinic receptor and its gene CHRNA7 on chromosome 15 in the neurobiology and genetic transmission of schizophrenia.
- TRANSIENT EXPRESSION OF CHOLINERGIC MARKERS IN THE PVCNBarbara J Morley; Fiscal Year: 2010..Acetylcholine (ACh), acetylcholinesterase (AChE) and the a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) are among the neurochemicals that regulate synaptic events, including the expression of ..
- In vivo studies of Neuregulin 1 in addiction pathwaysLorna Role; Fiscal Year: 2006..be examined include the isoform specific: Type Ill-Nrg1 heterozygous mutant (Nrg1) and the a7 nAChR subunit mutant Chrna7()...
- MOLECULAR NEUROBIOLOGY OF SCHIZOPHRENIARobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2008..In the proposed Center, we will continue to identify CHRNA7 polymorphisms (Project 1)...
- A thyroid receptor co-activator hypothesis for psychosisRobert Philibert; Fiscal Year: 2005..The net effect will be to produce an independent investigator capable of functional and translational research. ..
- Genetic Studies of Substance Abuse in Iowa AdopteesRobert Philibert; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Circadian Variations in Nicotine Sensitivity in MiceJerry Stitzel; Fiscal Year: 2008..This knowledge would be extremely useful for the development of better methods to treat nicotine addiction. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Identification of Functional nAChR Variants in MiceJerry Stitzel; Fiscal Year: 2005..By elucidating which nicotinic receptor subtypes are critical for the establishment of nicotine dependence, more effective pharmacological strategies for smoking cessation may be developed. ..