Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: caspase-3
Description: caspase 3
Alias: CPP32, CPP32B, SCA-1, caspase-3, CASP-3, CPP-32, PARP cleavage protease, SREBP cleavage activity 1, apopain, caspase 3, apoptosis-related cysteine peptidase, caspase 3, apoptosis-related cysteine protease, cysteine protease CPP32, procaspase3, protein Yama
Publications297 found, 100 shown here
- Apaf-1, a human protein homologous to C. elegans CED-4, participates in cytochrome c-dependent activation of caspase-3H Zou
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 75235, USA
Cell 90:405-13. 1997..The COOH-terminal region of Apaf-1 comprises multiple WD repeats, which are proposed to mediate protein-protein interactions. Cytochrome c binds to Apaf-1, an event that may trigger the activation of caspase-3, leading to apoptosis...
- Proteome-wide substrate analysis indicates substrate exclusion as a mechanism to generate caspase-7 versus caspase-3 specificityDieter Demon
Department for Molecular Biomedical Research, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology VIB, Ghent 9052, Belgium
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:2700-14. 2009..Interestingly, specific cleavage by caspase-7 relies on excluding recognition by caspase-3 and not on increasing binding for caspase-7...
- Regulator of calcineurin 1 (RCAN1) facilitates neuronal apoptosis through caspase-3 activationXiulian Sun
Townsend Family Laboratories, Department of Psychiatry, Brain Research Center, Graduate Program in Neuroscience, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:9049-62. 2011....
- Genistein sensitizes TRAIL-resistant human gastric adenocarcinoma AGS cells through activation of caspase-3Cheng Yun Jin
Department of Biological Sciences, Pusan National University, Busan 609 735, Republic of Korea
Cancer Lett 257:56-64. 2007..These results indicate that caspase-3 is a key regulator of apoptosis in response to combined genistein and TRAIL in human gastric adenocarcinoma AGS cells through the activation of DR5 and mitochondrial dysfunction...
- Melatonin maintains mitochondrial membrane potential and attenuates activation of initiator (casp-9) and effector caspases (casp-3/casp-7) and PARP in UVR-exposed HaCaT keratinocytesT W Fischer
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Pineal Res 44:397-407. 2008..In conclusion, these data provide detailed evidence for specific antiapoptotic mechanisms of melatonin in UVR-induced damage of human keratinocytes...
- Dihydroartemisinin (DHA) induces caspase-3-dependent apoptosis in human lung adenocarcinoma ASTC-a-1 cellsYing Ying Lu
MOE Key Laboratory of Laser Life Science and Institute of Laser Life Science, South China Normal University, Guangzhou 510631, PR China
J Biomed Sci 16:16. 2009..DHA has been shown to possess promising anticancer activities and induce cancer cell death through apoptotic pathways, although the molecular mechanisms are not well understood...
- Role of insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 in lung adenocarcinoma: IGF-independent antiapoptotic effect via caspase-3Toshiro Migita
The Cancer Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Pathol 176:1756-66. 2010..IGFBP-2, therefore, may offer a novel therapeutic target and serve as an antiapoptotic biomarker for lung adenocarcinoma...
- Caspase-3-dependent export of TCTP: a novel pathway for antiapoptotic intercellular communicationI Sirois
Research Centre, Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montréal CRCHUM, 1560 rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cell Death Differ 18:549-62. 2011..Collectively, these results identify TCTP-bearing nanovesicles as a novel component of the paracrine apoptotic program of potential importance in vascular repair...
- Caspase-3-mediated degradation of condensin Cap-H regulates mitotic cell deathS K Lai
Division of Molecular and Cell Biology, School of Biological Sciences, College of Science, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, Singapore
Cell Death Differ 18:996-1004. 2011..Taken together, we provide new insights into the molecular events that occur during mitotic death...
- Beclin 1 cleavage by caspase-3 inactivates autophagy and promotes apoptosisYushan Zhu
The Joint Laboratory of Apoptosis and Cancer Biology, College of Life Sciences, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, China
Protein Cell 1:468-77. 2010..Thus, our results suggest that the cleavage of Beclin 1 by caspase-3 may contribute to inactivate autophagy leading towards augmented apoptosis...
- Deregulated miR-155 promotes Fas-mediated apoptosis in human intervertebral disc degeneration by targeting FADD and caspase-3Hai Qiang Wang
Institute of Orthopaedics, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, 15 Changle Western Road, Xi an, People s Republic of China
J Pathol 225:232-42. 2011..Our results suggest that deregulated miR-155 promotes Fas-mediated apoptosis in human IDD by targeting FADD and caspase-3, implicating an aetiological and therapeutic role of miR-155 in IDD...
- Bcl2L12-mediated inhibition of effector caspase-3 and caspase-7 via distinct mechanisms in glioblastomaAlexander H Stegh
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10703-8. 2008..Thus, alphaB-crystallin is a Bcl2L12-induced oncoprotein that enables Bcl2L12 to block the activation of both effector caspases via distinct mechanisms, thereby contributing to GBM pathogenesis and its hallmark biological properties...
- Transglutaminase 2 suppresses apoptosis by modulating caspase 3 and NF-kappaB activity in hypoxic tumor cellsG Y Jang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Aging and Apoptosis Research Center AARC, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 799, Korea
Oncogene 29:356-67. 2010..These findings suggest that the inhibition of TG2 may offer a novel strategy for anticancer therapy...
- Phosphorylation-regulated cleavage of the tumor suppressor PTEN by caspase-3: implications for the control of protein stability and PTEN-protein interactionsJosema Torres
Instituto de Investigaciones Citologicas, Amadeo de Saboya 4, Valencia 46010, Spain
J Biol Chem 278:30652-60. 2003..Our findings suggest the existence of a regulatory mechanism of protein stability and PTEN-protein interactions during apoptosis, executed by caspase-3 in a PTEN phosphorylation-regulated manner...
- Caspase-2-induced apoptosis is dependent on caspase-9, but its processing during UV- or tumor necrosis factor-dependent cell death requires caspase-3G Paroni
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Sezione di Biologia, Universita di Udine, P le Kolbe 4, Udine 33100, Italy
J Biol Chem 276:21907-15. 2001..Our findings suggest a role played by caspase-2 as a regulator of the mitochondrial integrity and open questions on the mechanisms responsible for its activation during cell death...
- Polypyrimidine tract-binding proteins are cleaved by caspase-3 during apoptosisSung Hoon Back
National Research Laboratory, Department of Life Science, Division of Molecular and Life Sciences, Pohang University of Science and Technology, San31, Hyoja Dong, Pohang, Kyungbuk 790 784, Korea
J Biol Chem 277:27200-9. 2002..This suggests that translation of some IRES-containing mRNAs is regulated by proteolytic cleavage of PTB during apoptosis...
- Caspase activation of mammalian sterile 20-like kinase 3 (Mst3). Nuclear translocation and induction of apoptosisChi Ying F Huang
Department of Biological Science and Technology, National Chiao Tung University, 75 Po Ai Street, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Biol Chem 277:34367-74. 2002..Collectively, these results support the notion that caspase-mediated proteolytic activation of Mst3 contributes to apoptosis...
- Presentation of nitric oxide regulates monocyte survival through effects on caspase-9 and caspase-3 activationMandy M Zeigler
Dorothy M Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, The Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210 1252, USA
J Biol Chem 278:12894-902. 2003..These data support the hypothesis that nitrosylation of protein thiol residues by nitric oxide is critical for promoting the survival of human monocytes...
- Nitric oxide protects human extravillous trophoblast cells from apoptosis by a cyclic GMP-dependent mechanism and independently of caspase 3 nitrosylationPhilip R Dash
Department of Biochemistry and Immunology, St George s Hospital Medical School, University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 ORE, UK
Exp Cell Res 287:314-24. 2003..induced by a combination of tumour necrosis factor alpha and actinomycin D and to suppress the activity of caspase 3. Treatment with hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) stimulated expression of the inducible isoform of NO synthase and ..
- Caspase 3-mediated proteolysis of the N-terminal cytoplasmic domain of the human erythroid anion exchanger 1 (band 3)Debabrata Mandal
Department of Chemistry, Bose Institute, 93 1 Acharya, Prafalla Chandra Road, Kolkata 700009, India
J Biol Chem 278:52551-8. 2003..demonstrated that the N-terminal cytoplasmic domain of band 3 (CDB3) is a substrate of the apoptosis executioner caspase 3 (1). CDB3 has two non-conventional caspase 3 cleavage sites, TATD45 and EQGD205 (2)...
- STAT1-induced apoptosis is mediated by caspases 2, 3, and 7Juan J Sironi
Derald H Ruttenberg Cancer Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York University, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 279:4066-74. 2004..These results suggest that prolonged nuclear localization of activated STAT1 results in apoptosis involving specific regulation of caspase pathway...
- Ricin triggers apoptotic morphological changes through caspase-3 cleavage of BAT3Yu Hauh Wu
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10063, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Biol Chem 279:19264-75. 2004..Together, our results suggest a model that ricin triggers morphological changes of apoptosis by caspase-3-mediated proteolytic activation of BAT3...
- Caspase-3 mediated feedback activation of apical caspases in doxorubicin and TNF-alpha induced apoptosisShihe Yang
Department of Pathology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Apoptosis 11:1987-97. 2006..The significant impact of caspase-3 on both effector and apical caspases suggests that modulation of caspase-3 activity would be a useful approach to overcome drug resistance in clinical oncology...
- Reversible glutathiolation of caspase-3 by glutaredoxin as a novel redox signaling mechanism in tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced cell deathMichelle C Sykes
Circ Res 100:152-4. 2007
- The most widespread desmosomal cadherin, desmoglein 2, is a novel target of caspase 3-mediated apoptotic machineryNicola Cirillo
Center on Craniofacial Malformations MRI, Regione Campania, 1st School of Medicine and Surgery, II University of Naples, 80138 Naples, Italy
J Cell Biochem 103:598-606. 2008..All these biochemical, morphological, and functional changes were regulated by caspase 3. Indeed, in the presence of the caspase 3-inhibitor z-DEVD-fmk, full-length Dsg2 protein levels were preserved, ..
- Cytosolic antiviral RNA recognition pathway activates caspases 1 and 3Johanna Rintahaka
Unit of Excellence for Immunotoxicology, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Topeliuksenkatu 41a, Helsinki, Finland
J Immunol 180:1749-57. 2008..Furthermore, caspase 3-dependent processing of pro-IL-18 was also observed in human HaCaT keratinocytes, and forced expression of RIG-I ..
- Caspase-3 activation triggers extracellular cathepsin L release and endorepellin proteolysisJean Francois Cailhier
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier Universitaireé de Montréal and Montreal Cancer Institute Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec H2L 4M1, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:27220-9. 2008..These data demonstrate that caspase-3 activation is a novel pathway of importance for triggering extracellular CathL release and the cleavage of extracellular matrix components...
- Up-regulation of micro-RNA-221 (miRNA-221; chr Xp11.3) and caspase-3 accompanies down-regulation of the survivin-1 homolog BIRC1 (NAIP) in glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)W J Lukiw
LSU Neuroscience Center of Excellence and LSU Department of Neurosurgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 2020 Gravier Street, Suite 8A4, New Orleans, LA, 70112, USA
J Neurooncol 91:27-32. 2009....
- Caspase-3 is activated and rapidly released from human umbilical vein endothelial cells in response to lipopolysaccharideToshikazu Shioiri
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Musashino University, 1 1 20 Shinmachi, Nishitokyo shi, Tokyo 202 8585, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1792:1011-8. 2009..Failure of this escape mechanism may result in endothelial injury/dysfunction...
- Caspase-3 cleaves specific 19 S proteasome subunits in skeletal muscle stimulating proteasome activityXIAONAN H WANG
Renal Division, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 285:21249-57. 2010..Indeed, we found that in mice with a muscle wasting condition, chronic kidney disease, there was cleavage of subunits Rpt2 and Rpt6 and stimulation of proteasome activity...
- Disassembly of the JIP1/JNK molecular scaffold by caspase-3-mediated cleavage of JIP1 during apoptosisMahesh Vaishnav
Department of Biochemistry, Henry Wellcome Building, University of Leicester, Lancaster Road, Leicester LE1 9HN, UK
Exp Cell Res 317:1028-39. 2011..Caspase-mediated cleavage of JIP scaffold proteins may therefore represent an important mechanism for modulation of JNK signalling during apoptotic cell death...
- Low doses of the novel caspase-inhibitor GS-9450 leads to lower caspase-3 and -8 expression on peripheral CD4+ and CD8+ T-cellsJ E Arends
Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, University Medical Center Utrecht UMCU, Heidelberglaan, GA, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Apoptosis 16:959-66. 2011..Furthermore, at baseline percentages of activated caspase-3, activated caspase-8 and CD95+ T-cells were higher in chronic HCV-infected patients compared to healthy controls...
- Prostate apoptosis response 4 (Par-4), a novel substrate of caspase-3 during apoptosis activationParvesh Chaudhry
Research Group in Molecular Oncology and Endocrinology, Department of Chemistry Biology, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 32:826-39. 2012..We have identified a novel specific caspase-3 cleavage site in Par-4, and the cleaved fragment of Par-4 retains proapoptotic activity...
- ALS-associated ataxin 2 polyQ expansions enhance stress-induced caspase 3 activation and increase TDP-43 pathological modificationsMichael P Hart
Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Neurosci 32:9133-42. 2012..intermediate-length ataxin 2 polyQ expansions to the stress-dependent activation of multiple caspases, including caspase 3. Caspase activation is upstream of TDP-43 cleavage and phosphorylation since caspase inhibitors block these ..
- Proteolytic activation of protein kinase C delta by an ICE/CED 3-like protease induces characteristics of apoptosisT Ghayur
BASF Bioresearch Corporation, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605, USA
J Exp Med 184:2399-404. 1996..demonstrate that full-length PKC delta is cleaved at DMQD330N to a catalytically active fragment by the cysteine protease CPP32. The results also demonstrate that overexpression of the catalytic kinase fragment in cells is associated ..
- Caspase-3-mediated processing of poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase during apoptosisE B Affar
Health and Environment Unit, Laval University Medical Research Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 276:2935-42. 2001..The early cleavage of both PARP-1 and PARG by caspases during apoptosis suggests an important function for poly(ADP-ribose) metabolism regulation during this cell death process...
- Central role of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta in endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced caspase-3 activationLing Song
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0017, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44701-8. 2002..Thus, ER stress activates GSK3beta through dephosphorylation of phospho-Ser-9, a prerequisite for caspase-3 activation, and this process is amenable to pharmacological intervention...
- Identification of ASK1, MKK4, JNK, c-Jun, and caspase-3 as a signaling cascade involved in cadmium-induced neuronal cell apoptosisSun Don Kim
Department of Biomedical Sciences, National Institute of Health, Seoul 122 701, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 328:326-34. 2005..Taken together, our data suggested that the JNK/c-Jun signaling cascade plays a crucial role in Cd-induced neuronal cell apoptosis and provides a molecular linkage between oxidative stress and neuronal apoptosis...
- TRAIL, DR5 and caspase 3-dependent apoptosis in vessels of diseased human temporomandibular joint disc. An immunohistochemical studyC Loreto
Department of Anatomy, Diagnostic Pathology, Forensic Medicine, Hygiene and Public Health, University of Catania, Via S Sofia 87, Catania, Italy
Eur J Histochem 54:e40. 2010..disc vessels, we assessed, by immunohistochemistry, the detection of TRAIL, its death receptor DR5 and caspase 3. TRAIL, its death receptor DR5 and caspase 3 expression were studied by immunohistochemistry in 15 TMJ discs ..
- The novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor EXEL-0862 induces apoptosis in human FIP1L1-PDGFR-alpha-expressing cells through caspase-3-mediated cleavage of Mcl-1J Pan
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Leukemia 21:1395-404. 2007..Our data establish EXEL-0862 as a solid candidate for the targeted treatment of patients with FIP1L1-PDGFR-alpha-positive HES...
- Tau cleavage at D421 by caspase-3 is induced in neurons and astrocytes infected with herpes simplex virus type 1Rodrigo Lerchundi
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University Austral of Chile, Valdivia, Chile
J Alzheimers Dis 23:513-20. 2011..In conclusion, our findings support the idea that HSV-1 could contribute to induce neurodegenerative processes in age-associated pathologies such as Alzheimer's disease...
- Involvement of caspase-4(-like) protease in Fas-mediated apoptotic pathwayS Kamada
Department of Medical Genetics, Biomedical Research Center, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
Oncogene 15:285-90. 1997Proteases of the caspase family, especially caspase-1 (ICE)(-like), caspase-3 (CPP32/Yama/apopain)(-like) and caspase-8 (MACH/FLICE/Mch5) proteases, are implicated in Fas (APO-1/CD95)-mediated apoptosis...
- p53 inhibits alpha 6 beta 4 integrin survival signaling by promoting the caspase 3-dependent cleavage of AKT/PKBR E Bachelder
Division of Cancer Biology and Angiogenesis, Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Cell Biol 147:1063-72. 1999..The involvement of caspase 3 in AKT/PKB regulation was indicated by the ability of Z-DEVD-FMK, a caspase 3 inhibitor, to block the ..
- Protein kinase CK2 inhibitor 4,5,6,7-tetrabromobenzotriazole (TBB) induces apoptosis and caspase-dependent degradation of haematopoietic lineage cell-specific protein 1 (HS1) in Jurkat cellsMaria Ruzzene
Dipartimento di Chimica Biologica, Universita di Padova, Viale G Colombo, 3 35121 Padova, Italy
Biochem J 364:41-7. 2002....
- Interleukin-4 inhibits caspase-3 by regulating several proteins in the Fas pathway during initial stages of human T helper 2 cell differentiationKirsi J Rautajoki
Turku Centre for Biotechnology, University of Turku and Abo Akademi, Tykistokatu 6A, 5th Floor, FIN 20521 Turku, Finland
Mol Cell Proteomics 6:238-51. 2007..Taken together, our results indicate that IL-4 inhibits caspase activity during the initial stages of human Th2 cell differentiation by regulating expression of several key players in the Fas-induced pathway...
- Mutational analysis of CASP1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 14 genes in gastrointestinal stromal tumorsYoo Ri Kim
Department of Pathology, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Hum Pathol 40:868-71. 2009....
- Caspase-dependent activation of cyclin-dependent kinases during Fas-induced apoptosis in Jurkat cellsB B Zhou
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:6785-90. 1998..Our results do not support the idea that apoptosis is simply an aberrant mitosis but, instead, suggest that a subset of mitotic mechanisms plays an important role in apoptosis through elevated cdk activities...
- Caspase-3 is required for alpha-fodrin cleavage but dispensable for cleavage of other death substrates in apoptosisR U Jänicke
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, The National University of Singapore, 30 Medical Dr, Singapore 117609, Republic of Singapore
J Biol Chem 273:15540-5. 1998....
- HIV-1 protein Tat induces apoptosis of hippocampal neurons by a mechanism involving caspase activation, calcium overload, and oxidative stressI I Kruman
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 40536, USA
Exp Neurol 154:276-88. 1998..Agents that interupt this apoptotic cascade may prove beneficial in preventing neuronal degeneration and associated dementia in AIDS patients...
- Caspase-dependent apoptosis of cells expressing the chemokine receptor CXCR4 is induced by cell membrane-associated human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope glycoprotein (gp120)M Biard-Piechaczyk
Laboratoire Infections Retrovirales et Signalisation Cellulaire, CNRS EP 2104, Institut de Biologie, 4 Boulevard Henri IV, Montpellier Cedex, 34060, France
Virology 268:329-44. 2000..fmk) and a relatively selective inhibitor of caspase 3 (z-DEVD.fmk)...
- Caspase cleavage of vimentin disrupts intermediate filaments and promotes apoptosisY Byun
Center for Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cell Death Differ 8:443-50. 2001..Taken together, our findings suggest that caspase proteolysis of vimentin promotes apoptosis by dismantling intermediate filaments and by amplifying the cell death signal via a pro-apoptotic cleavage product...
- The fate of desmosomal proteins in apoptotic cellsJ Weiske
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:41175-81. 2001..Immunofluorescence analysis confirmed that this cleavage results in the disruption of the desmosome structure and thus contributes to cell rounding and disintegration of the intermediate filament system...
- Role of caspases in Ox-LDL-induced apoptotic cascade in human coronary artery endothelial cellsJiawei Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Circ Res 94:370-6. 2004..This is followed by activation of apoptotic signaling pathway, involving release of cytochrome c and Smac and activation of caspase-9 and then caspase-3...
- Caspase-3 has a nonapoptotic function in erythroid maturationGraeme W Carlile
Cell Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Box 112, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Blood 103:4310-6. 2004..These results demonstrate that caspase-3 is required for efficient erythropoiesis in this model system...
- Suppressive effect of elongation factor 2 on apoptosis induced by HIV-1 viral protein RS Zelivianski
Children s Memorial Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Apoptosis 11:377-88. 2006..The anti-apoptotic property of EF2 is demonstrated by its ability to suppress caspase 9 and caspase 3-mediated apoptosis induced by Vpr...
- Early caspase-3 activation independent of apoptosis is required for cellular functionJuan A Rosado
Department of Physiology Cellular Physiology Research Group, University of Extremadura, Caceres, Spain
J Cell Physiol 209:142-52. 2006..Thus, early activation of caspase-3 seems to be a non-apoptotic event required for cellular function...
- CPP32, a novel human apoptotic protein with homology to Caenorhabditis elegans cell death protein Ced-3 and mammalian interleukin-1 beta-converting enzymeT Fernandes-Alnemri
Department of Pharmacology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107
J Biol Chem 269:30761-4. 1994..The new gene encodes a 32-kDa putative cysteine protease (CPP32) with significant homology to Caenorhabditis elegans cell death protein Ced-3, mammalian interleukin-1 beta-..
- The c-IAP-1 and c-IAP-2 proteins are direct inhibitors of specific caspasesN Roy
The Burnham Institute, Program on Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
EMBO J 16:6914-25. 1997..Taken together, these findings suggest that c-IAP-1 and c-IAP-2 function similarly to XIAP by inhibiting the distal cell death proteases, caspases-3 and -7, whereas NAIP presumably inhibits apoptosis via other targets...
- Apoptotic cell death upon contact of CD4+ T lymphocytes with HIV glycoprotein-expressing cells is mediated by caspases but bypasses CD95 (Fas/Apo-1) and TNF receptor 1H Ohnimus
Institute for Virology and Immunobiology, Julius Maximilians University, Wurzburg, Germany
J Immunol 159:5246-52. 1997..Elucidation of the mechanism that initiates apoptosis in this situation will add to our understanding of both HIV pathogenesis and apoptotic signaling...
- Caspase-3-mediated cleavage of ROCK I induces MLC phosphorylation and apoptotic membrane blebbingM Sebbagh
INSERM U461, Faculte de Pharmacie, 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
Nat Cell Biol 3:346-52. 2001..We also show that expression of active truncated ROCK I induces cell blebbing. Thus, activation of ROCK I by caspase-3 seems to be responsible for bleb formation in apoptotic cells...
- Down-regulation of caspase 3 in breast cancer: a possible mechanism for chemoresistanceEswaran Devarajan
Department of Bioimmunotherapy, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 21:8843-51. 2002..These results suggest that the loss of caspases-3 expression may represent an important cell survival mechanism in breast cancer patients...
- Caspase 3 in breast cancerNorma O'Donovan
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s University Hospital, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, Ireland
Clin Cancer Res 9:738-42. 2003..One of the key mediators of apoptosis is the thiol protease caspase 3. In this investigation, caspase 3 mRNA and protein expression in breast cancer was examined.
- Vpr R77Q is associated with long-term nonprogressive HIV infection and impaired induction of apoptosisJulian J Lum
Ottawa Health Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 111:1547-54. 2003..These data highlight the pathophysiologic role of Vpr in HIV-induced immune disease and suggest a novel mechanism of LTNP...
- Mitochondrion-dependent caspase activation by the HIV-1 envelopeThomas Roumier
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 8125, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, F 94805 Villejuif, France
Biochem Pharmacol 66:1321-9. 2003..Conversely, inhibition of caspases did not prevent MMP. These results indicate that Env-elicited syncytial apoptosis involves the intrinsic (mitochondrial) pathway...
- HIV gp41-induced apoptosis is mediated by caspase-3-dependent mitochondrial depolarization, which is inhibited by HIV protease inhibitor nelfinavirHimanshu Garg
NCI Frederick, P O Box B, Building 469, Room 152, Miller Drive, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
J Leukoc Biol 79:351-62. 2006..We also show that virion-induced apoptosis is gp41-dependent. Our findings provide new insights into the mechanism via which HIV gp41 mediates apoptosis in bystander cells...
- Hsp70 regulates erythropoiesis by preventing caspase-3-mediated cleavage of GATA-1Jean Antoine Ribeil
CNRS UMR 8147, Faculté de Médecine et Université René Descartes Paris V, Institut Fédérative Necker, 75270 Paris, France
Nature 445:102-5. 2007..These effects are abrogated by the transduction of a caspase-resistant GATA-1 mutant. Thus, in erythroid precursors undergoing terminal differentiation, Hsp70 prevents active caspase-3 from cleaving GATA-1 and inducing apoptosis...
- SAG/ROC-SCF beta-TrCP E3 ubiquitin ligase promotes pro-caspase-3 degradation as a mechanism of apoptosis protectionMingjia Tan
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0936, USA
Neoplasia 8:1042-54. 2006..Thus, pro-caspase-3 appears to be a substrate of SAG/ROC-SCF(beta-TrCP) E3 Ub ligase, which protects cells from apoptosis through increased apoptosis threshold by reducing the basal level of pro-caspase-3...
- The caspase-8 dimerization/dissociation balance is a highly potent regulator of caspase-8, -3, -6 signalingMaximilian L Würstle
Department of Physiology and Medical Physics, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 285:33209-18. 2010..Our study therefore highlights a central and so far underappreciated role of caspase-8 dimerization/dissociation in avoiding unwanted cell death by lethal amplification of caspase responses via the caspase-8, -3, -6 loop...
- Identification and inhibition of the ICE/CED-3 protease necessary for mammalian apoptosisD W Nicholson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Merck Frosst Centre for Therapeutic Research, Pointe Claire Dorval, Quebec, Canada
Nature 376:37-43. 1995..This enzyme, named apopain, is composed of two subunits of relative molecular mass (M(r)) 17K and 12K that are derived from a common ..
- Yama/CPP32 beta, a mammalian homolog of CED-3, is a CrmA-inhibitable protease that cleaves the death substrate poly(ADP-ribose) polymeraseM Tewari
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Cell 81:801-9. 1995..We cloned a ced-3/ICE-related gene, designated Yama, that encodes a protein identical to CPP32 beta. Purified Yama was a zymogen that, when activated, cleaved PARP to generate the 85 kDa apoptotic fragment...
- Cleavage of huntingtin by apopain, a proapoptotic cysteine protease, is modulated by the polyglutamine tractY P Goldberg
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Nat Genet 13:442-9. 1996Apoptosis has recently been recognized as a mode of cell death in Huntington disease (HD). Apopain, a human counterpart of the nematode cysteine protease death-gene product, CED-3, has a key role in proteolytic events leading to ..
- Molecular ordering of the Fas-apoptotic pathway: the Fas/APO-1 protease Mch5 is a CrmA-inhibitable protease that activates multiple Ced-3/ICE-like cysteine proteasesS M Srinivasula
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:14486-91. 1996..protease cascade that leads to activation of ICE-like proteases (TX, ICE, and ICE-relIII), Ced-3-like proteases (CPP32, Mch2, Mch3, Mch4, and Mch6), and the ICH-1 protease...
- Caspase-3-generated fragment of gelsolin: effector of morphological change in apoptosisS Kothakota
Chiron Corporation, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
Science 278:294-8. 1997The caspase-3 (CPP32, apopain, YAMA) family of cysteinyl proteases has been implicated as key mediators of apoptosis in mammalian cells...
- Caspases: the executioners of apoptosisG M Cohen
MRC Toxicology Unit, University of Leicester, U K
Biochem J 326:1-16. 1997..Cells undergoing apoptosis following triggering of death receptors execute the death programme by activating a hierarchy of caspases, with caspase-8 and possibly caspase-10 being at or near the apex of this apoptotic cascade...
- Dismantling cell-cell contacts during apoptosis is coupled to a caspase-dependent proteolytic cleavage of beta-cateninC Brancolini
Laboratorio Nazionale Consorzio Interuniversitario Biotecnologie AREA Science Park, 34142 Trieste, Italy
J Cell Biol 139:759-71. 1997..Caspase-3 (cpp32/apopain/yama) cleaves in vitro translated beta-catenin into a form which is similar in size to that observed in cells ..
- A single BIR domain of XIAP sufficient for inhibiting caspasesR Takahashi
Burnham Institute, Program on Apoptosis and Cell Death Regulation, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 273:7787-90. 1998..These findings identify BIR2 as the minimal caspase-inhibitory domain of XIAP and indicate that a single BIR domain can be sufficient for binding and inhibiting caspases...
- Nitric oxide inhibits caspase-3 by S-nitrosation in vivoL Rossig
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
J Biol Chem 274:6823-6. 1999..Thus, NO supplied by exogenous NO donors serves in vivo as an antiapoptotic regulator of caspase activity via S-nitrosation of the Cys-163 residue of caspase-3...
- Caspase-2 is localized at the Golgi complex and cleaves golgin-160 during apoptosisM Mancini
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Cell Biol 149:603-12. 2000..We propose that the Golgi complex, like mitochondria, senses and integrates unique local conditions, and transduces pro-apoptotic signals through local caspases, which regulate local effectors...
- Regulation of apoptosis by phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate inhibition of caspases, and caspase inactivation of phosphatidylinositol phosphate 5-kinasesM Mejillano
Department of Physiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Biol Chem 276:1865-72. 2001..4,5-bisphosphate (PIP2) is a direct inhibitor of initiator caspases 8 and 9, and their common effector caspase 3. PIP2 inhibited procaspase 9 processing in cell extracts and in a reconstituted procaspase 9/Apaf1 apoptosome ..
- Structural basis of caspase-7 inhibition by XIAPJ Chai
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Lewis Thomas Laboratory, Washington Road, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Cell 104:769-80. 2001..Our biochemical and structural analyses reveal that the BIR domains are dispensable for the inhibition of caspase-3 and -7. This study provides a structural basis for the design of the next-generation caspase inhibitors...
- Deficiency of caspase-3 in MCF7 cells blocks Bax-mediated nuclear fragmentation but not cell deathS Kagawa
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 7:1474-80. 2001..Together, these results suggest that a deficit in caspase-3 is not sufficient to block Bax-induced cell death...
- D4-GDI is cleaved by caspase-3 during daunorubicin-induced apoptosis in HL-60 cellsKang Beom Kwon
Department of Physiology, School of Oriental Medicine, Won Kwang University, Chonbuk, Korea
Exp Mol Med 34:32-7. 2002..drug, is known to induce apoptosis in HL-60 cells in a dose-dependent manner through the activation of caspase-3 (CPP32)...
- HIV-1 Vpr induces apoptosis through caspase 9 in T cells and peripheral blood mononuclear cellsKaruppiah Muthumani
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 277:37820-31. 2002..Activation of the caspase 9 pathway resulted in caspase 3 activation and apoptosis in human primary cells...
- The mitochondriotoxic domain of Vpr determines HIV-1 virulenceCatherine Brenner
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Formation de Recherche en Evolution 2445, Université de Versailles St Quentin, Versailles, France
J Clin Invest 111:1455-7. 2003
- NF-kappaB and p53 are the dominant apoptosis-inducing transcription factors elicited by the HIV-1 envelopeJean Luc Perfettini
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 8125, Institut Gustave Roussy, F 94805 Villejuif, France
J Exp Med 199:629-40. 2004..Altogether, these data indicate that NF-kappaB and p53 cooperate as the dominant proapoptotic transcription factors participating in HIV-1 infection...
- Dual role of BRUCE as an antiapoptotic IAP and a chimeric E2/E3 ubiquitin ligaseTill Bartke
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Mol Cell 14:801-11. 2004..Our work suggests that, owing to its two activities and its localization, BRUCE may function as a specialized regulator of cell death pathways...
- Nuclear translocation of caspase-3 is dependent on its proteolytic activation and recognition of a substrate-like protein(s)Shinji Kamada
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 280:857-60. 2005..These results suggest that active caspase-3 is translocated in association with a substrate-like protein(s) from the cytoplasm into the nucleus during progression through apoptosis...
- Human Immunodeficiency virus type 1 Nef potently induces apoptosis in primary human brain microvascular endothelial cells via the activation of caspasesEdward A Acheampong
Center for Human Virology and Biodefense, Division of Infectious Diseases and Environmental Medicine, Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Virol 79:4257-69. 2005..The results of this study demonstrate that Nef likely contributes to the neuroinvasion and neuropathogenesis of HIV-1, through its effects on select cellular processes, including various apoptotic cascades...
- The differentiation-dependent desmosomal cadherin desmoglein 1 is a novel caspase-3 target that regulates apoptosis in keratinocytesRachel L Dusek
Department of Pathology and Dermatology and Cell Death Regulation Laboratory, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 281:3614-24. 2006....
- Proteolytic regulation of nuclear factor of activated T (NFAT) c2 cells and NFAT activity by caspase-3Wenfang Wu
Immunobiology Program, Department of Medicine, The University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
J Biol Chem 281:10682-90. 2006..Our findings reveal a new post-transcriptional regulation of NFATc2 that operates, not only during apoptosis, but also in non-apoptotic effector T cells...
- Caspase-3-dependent activation of calcium-independent phospholipase A2 enhances cell migration in non-apoptotic ovarian cancer cellsXiaoxian Zhao
Department of Cancer Biology, The Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 281:29357-68. 2006..Importantly, small interfering RNA-mediated down-regulation of endogenous iPLA(2) expression in ovarian carcinoma HEY cells results in decreased migration toward laminin, suggesting that our findings are pathophysiologically important...
- Human and murine granzyme B exhibit divergent substrate preferencesSean P Cullen
Molecular Cell Biology Laboratory, Department of Genetics, The Smurfit Institute, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Cell Biol 176:435-44. 2007..These data demonstrate that human and murine GzmB are distinct enzymes with different substrate preferences. Our observations also illustrate how subtle differences in enzyme structure can radically affect substrate selection...
- Platelet-derived growth factor protects neurons against gp120-mediated toxicityFuwang Peng
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
J Neurovirol 14:62-72. 2008..Taken together these findings lead us to suggest that PDGF-BB could be considered as a therapeutic agent that can mitigate gp120-mediated neurotoxicity in HAD...
- Virion-associated Vpr of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 triggers activation of apoptotic events and enhances fas-induced apoptosis in human T cellsHubert Arokium
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, University of California at Los Angeles, David Geffen School of Medicine, 615 Charles E Young Dr South, BSRB 173, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Virol 83:11283-97. 2009..These findings suggest that virion-associated Vpr can contribute to the depletion of CD4(+) lymphocytes either directly or by enhancing Fas-mediated apoptosis during acute HIV-1 infection and in AIDS...
- Caspase-3 cleaves XIAP in a positive feedback loop to sensitize melanoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosisM Hörnle
Institute of Cell Biology and Immunology, University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg, Germany
Oncogene 30:575-87. 2011..The molecular mechanism discovered here appears to have broader implications, because cleavage of XIAP was also shown to accompany cisplatin-induced sensitization of melanoma cells to TRAIL...
- Cleavage of sterol regulatory element binding proteins (SREBPs) by CPP32 during apoptosisX Wang
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
EMBO J 15:1012-20. 1996..b>CPP32, a cysteine protease, was shown previously to cleave SREBP-1 and SREBP-2 in vitro at an aspartic acid between the ..
- Induction of apoptotic program in cell-free extracts: requirement for dATP and cytochrome cX Liu
Department of Biochemistry, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cell 86:147-57. 1996..Cells undergoing apoptosis in vivo showed increased release of cytochrome c to their cytosol, suggesting that mitochondria may function in apoptosis by releasing cytochrome c...
- In vitro activation of CPP32 and Mch3 by Mch4, a novel human apoptotic cysteine protease containing two FADD-like domainsT Fernandes-Alnemri
Center for Apoptosis Research and the Kimmel Cancer Center Institute, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:7464-9. 1996..These observations suggest that CPP32 and Mch3 are targets of mature Mch4 protease in apoptotic cells...
- The Ced-3/interleukin 1beta converting enzyme-like homolog Mch6 and the lamin-cleaving enzyme Mch2alpha are substrates for the apoptotic mediator CPP32S M Srinivasula
Center for Apoptosis Research, the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, and the Kimmel Cancer Institute, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Biol Chem 271:27099-106. 1996Recent evidence suggests that CPP32 is an essential component of an aspartate-specific cysteine protease (ASCP) cascade responsible for apoptosis execution in mammalian cells...
- DFF, a heterodimeric protein that functions downstream of caspase-3 to trigger DNA fragmentation during apoptosisX Liu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235, USA
Cell 89:175-84. 1997..In cells undergoing apoptosis, the 45 kDa subunit is cleaved in the same pattern as it is cleaved by caspase-3 in vitro. These data delineate a direct signal transduction pathway during apoptosis: caspase-3 to DFF to DNA fragmentation...
- Casper is a FADD- and caspase-related inducer of apoptosisH B Shu
Tularik, Incorporated, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Immunity 6:751-63. 1997..When overexpressed in mammalian cells, Casper potently induces apoptosis. A C-terminal deletion mutant of Casper inhibits TNF- and Fas-induced cell death, suggesting that Casper is involved in these apoptotic pathways...
- Regulation of caspase-1 by Sod2 in the heartKumuda C Das; Fiscal Year: 2010..The outcome of these studies may help in the therapeutic use of MnSOD or substances that induce MnSOD in the protection of myocardial injury in heart failure, endothelial dysfunction or other cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Apoptosis Execution Pathways in Dopaminergic Cell DeathJun Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Test the hypotheses that Bax is a direct mediator for AIF release, and Bax contributes to dopaminergic cell death by activating both AIF-dependent and caspase-dependent pathways. ..
- Role of The Jak-Stat Pathway in Ischemic PreconditioningYu Ting Xuan; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will provide important new insights into the signaling and molecular mechanisms whereby the late phase of ischemic PC reprograms the heart in the intact animal. ..
- Mechanisms and Modulation of Cell Death in Traumatic Brain InjuryALAN IRA FADEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..A better understanding of the mechanisms underlying TBI would offer the possibility of improving survival and insuring a more complete recovery. ..
- David Piwnica-Worms; Fiscal Year: 2016..These activities benefit from the combination expertise of this applicant team in chemistry, molecular imaging, biochemistry, and vision biology. ..
- Dhyan Chandra; Fiscal Year: 2016..g., caspase-9, and -8). ..
- Apoptosis and Trophoblast FusionNEAL STEWART ROTE; Fiscal Year: 2010..In our most recent preliminary studies, we observed that decreased transcription and translation of caspase 3 and caspase 8 and increased expression of caspase 14 were concurrent with differentiation/syncytialization...
- Mechanistic targets for intervention in sepsis-induced renal injuryPhilip R Mayeux; Fiscal Year: 2012..They will identify new signaling pathways and test them as new therapeutic targets for this devastating disease. ..
- Nucleotide Regulation of Apaf-1 Apoptosome and ApoptosisDean G Tang; Fiscal Year: 2010..The accomplishment of the proposed goals will greatly advance our understanding of apoptosome regulation in vivo and help us understand cellular response to environmental stress and cancer cell response to anti- tumor therapeutics. ..
- The Role of Caspases in Warm and Cold IschemiaALKESH HARIHAR JANI; Fiscal Year: 2010..Reduced MHC expression is associated with decreased kidney graft immunogenicity and has important implications for the deleterious effect of DGF on both short and long-term allograft function. ..
- The role of XIAP during cold ischemia and kidney transplantation.ALKESH HARIHAR JANI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 2 investigates whether reducing RTEC apoptosis by manipulation of XIAP during CI before kidney transplant, improves graft function after transplant. ..
- Peixin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2016..embryopathy and its activation leads to activation of Bcl-2 family members and effector caspases such as caspase 3. We further define the transcription factor and the apoptotic gene mediating diabetes-induced caspase 8 ..
- NON-APOPTOTIC ACTION OF CASPASES IN PLURIPOTENT EMBRYONIC STEM CELLSThomas P Zwaka; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specific pharmacological alteration of caspases may be useful not only for modulating programmed cell death, but also for directing stem cell fate. ..
- Shawn B Bratton; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Apoptotic Signaling Induces Hyperpermeability Following Hemorrhagic ShockEd W Childs; Fiscal Year: 2010..Atomic force microscopy will be used to assess endothelial cell adhesive forces. (End of Abstract) ..
- Novel Insight on Nucleotide Regulation of Apoptosome ActivationDhyan Chandra; Fiscal Year: 2010..The newly obtained knowledge should also have important implications in helping to design novel anti-cancer therapeutics targeting the apoptotic machinery. ..
- Mechanisms of Increasing Apoptosis Regulation in Developing and Mature NeuronsMohanish Deshmukh; Fiscal Year: 2011..Understanding the mechanism by which apoptosis is regulated in neurons is clinically important for identifying appropriate drug targets that would effectively prevent neuronal death after injury or disease. ..
- JEANNE ANN HARDY; Fiscal Year: 2016..We focus on caspase proteins, which can cause cancer cells to die. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of ApoE4 Proteolysis in Alzheimer's DiseaseTroy T Rohn; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both immunohistochemical analysis using fixed post mortem brain sections as well as Western blot analysis from AD samples will be performed and compared to age-matched controls. ..
- CASPASES IN RENAL TUBULAR EPITHELIAL CELL INJURYGUR KAUSHAL; Fiscal Year: 2000..These studies will provide new insights into our understanding of the cellular and molecular mechanisms of ischemic renal injury as well as other forms of acute renal failure. ..
- Chuan Yuan Li; Fiscal Year: 2015..Our hypothesis is based on our recent discovery of the "Phoenix Rising" pathway through which caspase 3 activates paracrine signaling cascades from dying cells to stimulate tissue regeneration and the rapid ..
- Molecular intersection between neuronal apoptosis and axon degenerationCOREY CUSACK; Fiscal Year: 2013..This aim will also test the hypothesis that XIAP, an endogenous inhibitor of caspases, protects the neuronal cell body by restricting caspase activity to the axon during axonal degeneration. ..
- Biochemical characterization of caspase-3 activationXiaodong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such knowledge should provide guidance to the diagnosis and therapy of the common human diseases listed above. ..
- The Cyto-Protective Role of Hexokinase II During Metabolic StressJONATHAN MICHAEL GALL; Fiscal Year: 2012..decreased HKII or DRP1expression on mitochondrial injury and apoptosis will be studied by measuring AIF leakage, caspase 3 activation, annexin V staining in cells subjected to metabolic stress...
- Reactivating Apoptosis in Refractory Cancer by Selective Targeting of MCL-1Michelle Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2010..pro-apoptotic stimuli will be evaluated in MCL-1-dependent cancer cell lines by monitoring cell viability and caspase 3/7 activation...
- Innate Immune Mechanisms of Motor Neuron InjuryTimothy Vartanian; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have identified a receptor termed TLR3 present on all neurons, that when activated, induces death to only motor neurons. This application pursues research to define the relevance of this finding to diseases of the motor neuron. ..
- Frank A Anania; Fiscal Year: 2016..Additional data indicate that exendin-4 suppresses CHOP expression both in vitro and in mice fed a high-fat diet, but in CHOP knockout mice fed an identical diet, fat-laden hepatocytes are protected from apoptotic death. ..
- Estrogen: Neuroprotection in the PerimenopauseAnne M Etgen; Fiscal Year: 2010..element binding protein at early times after ischemia;2) the anti-apoptotic gene Bcl-2 and activation of caspase 3 at later times after ischemia;3) inactivation of Akt and subsequent activation of the forkhead transcription ..
- Discovery Tools for Chemotherapy Resistance to Cell Death.Robert W Sobol; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- HAX-1: a Multifaceted Family of Apoptotic RegulatorsAikaterini Kontrogianni-Konstantopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Jeffrey D Hasday; Fiscal Year: 2016..The pharmacologic studies in aim 4 will provide new preclinical data that may lead to future therapies in patients with ALI. ..
- Radiosensitization via Targeting Cell DeathBo Lu; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the absence of pro-apoptotic proteins, Bak/Bax or caspase 3/7, we found that autophagy is upregulated and occurred in over 50% of irradiated cells...
- ANUMANTHA GOUNDER KANTHASAMY; Fiscal Year: 2015..The proposed work has translational potential, as neuroprotective strategies targeting the proposed signaling pathway may prove to be effective against PD. ..
- Sandra M Mooney; Fiscal Year: 2014..during the period of naturally occurring neuronal death causes a dramatic and transient increase in both active caspase 3 expression and terminal uridylated nick-end labeling (TUNEL)...
- Caspase mediated cell death after brain traumaRamesh Raghupathi; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Combination drug treatment to inhibit multiple cell death pathways after TBIALAN IRA FADEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..sites, thereby neutralizing their pro- apoptotic functions by preventing the formation of the apoptosome (and caspase 3) and attenuating AIF mediated actions...
- Oxidative Stress, PKC-delta Activation and Striatal Ischemic Cell DeathArthi Kanthasamy; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Protein Nitration in the PlacentaLeslie Myatt; Fiscal Year: 2012..nitration and the role of hypoxia and hypoxia/reoxygenation on protein nitration and the apoptotic cascade (P53, caspase 3 and Bcl-2) will be investigated using pharmacologic, knockdown by siRNA and overexpression approaches in ..
- Randomized trial of PEITC as a modifier of NNK metabolism in smokersJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2012..The major strengths include the need for a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of PEITC, the qualification of the investigators, and the feasibility of the proposed studies. ..
- Growth Factor and Antiapoptotic Gene Delivery to Human IsletsRam I Mahato; Fiscal Year: 2012..This will decrease the number of islets required to achieve normoglycemia in type I diabetic patients. ..
- Human Cardiomyopathy and HSP60Anne A Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2012..the cardiac myocyte in a third of cells;the presence of HSP60 on the cell surface correlated with activation of caspase 3, 7 and 8...
- Christopher W Akey; Fiscal Year: 2015..When taken together, these Aims should reveal new aspects of apoptosome function that are germane to human health and disease. ..
- Regulation of Oxidative Stress Induced Apoptosis in OsteoblastsGABRIEL ROBERT LINARES; Fiscal Year: 2010..mitochondrial dependent apoptosis pathway and 2) Demonstrate that Grx5 is a modulator of cytochrome c release, caspase 3, 9 activation and subsequent PARP cleavage...
- Zhaoyong Hu; Fiscal Year: 2016..The results of our study might be used to define cell biologic responses that are interrupted by CKD. The results also might yield the initial steps towards designing new therapies for this dreaded complication of CKD. . ..
- Alcohol and Sca-1;Impairment of the granulopoietic precursor cell responseJohn Nicholas Melvan; Fiscal Year: 2013..It will also build a foundation for developing effective therapeutic strategies to treat myelosuppression in alcohol abusers with severe bacterial infection. ..
- A novel mouse prostate carcinogenesis model for dietary cancer prevention researcChung S Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Regulation of Apoptotic Signaling Pathways by Alpha-Crystallins in the Ocular LenDavid W Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Ping Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2014..This project investigates the mechanisms underlying this serious health problem and will help to identify therapeutic approaches for effective treatment of alcoholic patients with severe bacterial infection. ..
- Mechanisms of Angiogenesis in Retinopathy of PrematurityMary Elizabeth Hartnett; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., dihydroethidium);and NADPH oxidase activation. ..
- MARY ELIZABETH RUTH HARTNETT; Fiscal Year: 2016..g., dihydroethidium);and NADPH oxidase activation. ..
- Chemoprevention of Pancreatic Cancer by CapsaicinSanjay K Srivastava; Fiscal Year: 2013..Successful completion of this project will support the development and clinical application of capsaicin for the chemoprevention of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Resham Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 2016..The proposed studies will validate Bmi-1 as an important new target using readily translatable nanoliposomal delivery methods with potential for therapy even in chemoresistant ovarian cancer. ..
- Neurotoxicity of Magnetic NanoparticlesVeronica Shubayev; Fiscal Year: 2010..influx of macrophages, activation of heme oxygenase-1, interleukin-12, matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9 and caspase 3, all consistent with the oxidative stress paradigm...
- Induced Reactive Oxygen Species in a 3-D Human Pancreatitis Model in VitroGregory P Botta; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- John H Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2014..The clinical implication of HBO-PC, as an effective, easy to use, and safe modality, could be expanded to multiple brain injuries complicating major surgical procedures. ..
- LIPID MODULATORS OF PULMONARY VASCULAR TONEElizabeth R Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2010..anti-apoptotic activity of 20-HETE in PAECs, with 20-HETE protecting against starvation-evoked increases in caspase 3 activity...
- A cell-specific inducible model of hearing lossAlbert S Edge; Fiscal Year: 2011..Because of the clear correlation between loss of cochlear cells and sensorineural hearing loss, improvements in our ability to regenerate these cells will lead directly to new treatments for loss of hearing. ..
- Cell Cycle Pathways and Spinal Cord InjuryALAN IRA FADEN; Fiscal Year: 2011..therapeutically relevant, delayed systemic administration of Flavopiridol improves post-traumatic function and histological outcome. ..
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of gp120 neurotoxicityItalo Mocchetti; Fiscal Year: 2012..Overall, we expect to provide new significant data that help in the design of adjunct therapies against synaptic simplifications caused by HIV. ..
- Targeting induction of calcium buffer proteins for treatment of viral encephalitiJohn D Morrey; Fiscal Year: 2013..that WNV infection in different cell lines leads to Ca++ influx, which benefits is replication, but induces caspase 3 cleavage and increase the risk of cell death...
- NEUROCHEMICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF PHENCYCLIDINEKenneth Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..The potential role of CREB dephosphorylation as a result of over activation of NMDA receptors will also be assessed in the neurotoxicity of PCP treatment. ..
- Downstream Regulators of Beta-Amyloid Induced Neuronal DeathCarol M Troy; Fiscal Year: 2010..2: To determine how caspase-2 is regulated and activated by A_ and TFD. 3: To determine how caspase-2 induces of Bim expression. ..
- ELIZABETH ANN EKLUND; Fiscal Year: 2016..Xiap inhibits caspase 3, contributing to Fas-resistance. We identified RASSF5, the gene encoding Nore1, as another Icsbp-target-gene...
- Kenneth L Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2015..Inhibition of caspase 3, the executioner caspase of apoptotic cell death, results in decreased severity of virus-induced encephalitis...
- Inhibition of S14 by Conjugated Linoleic Acid in Advanced Solid Tumor PatientsRaymond P Perez; Fiscal Year: 2010..as FAS), SREBP1, phospho-AKT, biomarkers of cell-cycle/proliferation (Ki67, geminin), and apoptosis (cleaved caspase 3)...
- White matter changes in HIV modelsPamela E Knapp; Fiscal Year: 2011..Culture studies with viral protein and HIV test whether oligodendrocytes are directly affected. ..
- Jia Luo; Fiscal Year: 2016..The current study is to determine whether C3G ameliorates ethanol-induced neuronal loss as well as behavioral deficits. The proposal will potentially develop a new therapeutic strategy. ..
- Edward D Chan; Fiscal Year: 2015..Additionally, enhancing the bioactivity of IL-32 should increase induction of PCD and MTB killing. ..
- Whole brain multimodal microscopy of an apoptosis reporter mousePETER JEFF NICHOLLS; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Characterization of prostatic stem cells and prostate cancer-initiating cellsLi Xin; Fiscal Year: 2012..The infected cells will be microinjected into immunodeficient host mouse prostate or tested in the regeneration system to determine their capacity to initiate cancer. ..
- Li Tang; Fiscal Year: 2015..Due to the wide availability of cruciferous vegetables and the high diet-change motivation of breast cancer patients, the findings from the study may have a significant impact on the lifestyle of breast cancer survivors. ..
- Davide Trotti; Fiscal Year: 2015..The scope of this last aim could then be key, in particular if results of aim 1-2 establisha role of the astroglial CTE-SUMO1 fragment in motor neuron toxicity and ALS pathogenesis. ..
- Jena J Steinle; Fiscal Year: 2016..In addition to preventing degenerate capillaries in vivo, compound 49b prevents the cleavage of caspase 3, a well- established marker of apoptosis, in retinal endothelial cells (REC) in vitro, suggesting that Compound ..
- Salmonella Pathogenesis and Processing of Secreted Effectors by Caspase-3Beth A McCormick; Fiscal Year: 2013..Speculatively, the ability of the organism to hijack the host CASP3 machinery in order to activate secreted effectors is likely to be a general paradigm employed by enteric pathogens that harbor a T3SS to cause disease. ..
- Mechanisms of morphine mediated neuroprotection against gp120Bal toxicity.Lee Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover the mechanistic studies proposed will likely identify intermediaries which can be targeted for the development of future therapeutics. ..
- Kathryn J Grive; Fiscal Year: 2015..At birth, TAF4b deficient ovaries appear to lose oocytes through caspase 3-dependent apoptosis, which likely leads to the ovarian senescence observed in reproductively mature mice...
- Denise J Montell; Fiscal Year: 2014..The proposed work has the potential to lead to a new understanding of and treatments for degenerative diseases and cancer. ..
- Diagnosing Emergence of Kinase Inhibitor Resistance on a MicrochipThomas G Graeber; Fiscal Year: 2013..Graeber, H.-R. Tseng, R. Lo and A. Ribas), make the melanoma microfluidic diagnostic approach uniquely positioned to impact ongoing clinical trials and therapy. ..
- The 5-HT1A Receptor and Brain DevelopmentProbal Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2005..This project will delineate a novel pathway that could play a key role in early brain development. Knowledge of this pathway will help in designing better therapies to combat developmental brain disorders. ..
- NEUROPROTECTIVE STRATEGIES AGAINST OXIDATIVE DAMAGEAnumantha Kanthasamy; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Tomoko Makishima; Fiscal Year: 2016..When the proposed studies have been completed, it is our expectation that we will be able to compare basic results of vestibular dysfunction in mice and in human. ..
- Piero Anversa; Fiscal Year: 2015..Ultimately, CSC/progenitor cell therapy will be established on an individual basis to maximize the efficacy of this novel approach for the management of heart failure in each case. ..
- Clinical Research Consortium for Spinocerebellar AtaxiasTetsuo Ashizawa; Fiscal Year: 2010..Initiate a pilot study to determine genetic modifiers of SCA 1, 2, 3 and 6 Aim 4...
- Therapeutic system targeting pathogen proteases and uses thereofPatent Number: WO2004019990-A1; Date:2004-03-11