Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: calpain 10
Description: calpain 10
Alias: CANP10, NIDDM1, calpain-10, calcium-activated neutral proteinase 10, calpain-like protease CAPN10
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- Specific CAPN10 gene haplotypes influence the clinical profile of polycystic ovary patientsAlejandro Gonzalez
Centro Avanzado de Fertilidad, Unidad de Reproducción y Genética Humana, Instituto Medico Serman, 11405 Jerez de la Frontera, Cadiz, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5529-36. 2003..Moreover, we have identified novel candidate risk alleles and genotypes, within CAPN10 gene, that could be associated with important phenotypic and prognosis differences observed in PCOS patients...
- Utility of genetic and non-genetic risk factors in prediction of type 2 diabetes: Whitehall II prospective cohort studyPhilippa J Talmud
Centre of Cardiovascular Genetics, Department of Medicine, University College London, London WC1E 6JF
BMJ 340:b4838. 2010....
- Calpain-10 gene polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes in West Africans: the Africa America Diabetes Mellitus (AADM) StudyYuanxiu Chen
College of Medicine, National Human Genome Center at Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Ann Epidemiol 15:153-9. 2005..To investigate whether the three single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), SNP-43, -56, and -63 of CAPN10 were associated with type 2 diabetes in a West African cohort...
- Genetic risk factors for type 2 diabetes with pharmacologic intervention in African-American patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorderM R Irvin
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
Schizophr Res 114:50-6. 2009..polymorphisms (SNPs) within select T2D candidate genes including transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2), calpain 10 (CAPN10), and ectoenzyme nucleotide pyrophosphatase phosphodiesterase 1 (ENNP1) for association with prevalent ..
- Variants within the calpain-10 gene and relationships with type 2 diabetes (T2DM) and T2DM-related traits among Tunisian ArabsI Ezzidi
Research Unit of Biology and Genetics of Hematological and Auto immune diseases, Faculty of Pharmacy of Monastir, University of Monastir, Monastir, Tunisia
Diabetes Metab 36:357-62. 2010Common variations in the calpain 10 (CAPN10) gene variants UCSNP-43, UCSNP-19 and UCSNP-63, and the 112/121 diplotype, are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes (T2DM) and T2DM-related traits.
- Calpain-10 gene polymorphism in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients in the Gaza StripMazen M Zaharna
Department of Medical Technology, Islamic University of Gaza, Gaza City, Palestine
Med Princ Pract 19:457-62. 2010..To examine the role of calpain-10 SNP-44, -43, -63 and del/ins-19 in genetic susceptibility to type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and associations with triglycerides and total cholesterol in a group of subjects residing in the Gaza Strip...
- Genetic prediction of future type 2 diabetesValeriya Lyssenko
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, University Hospital Malmo, Malmo, Sweden
PLoS Med 2:e345. 2005..A number of common variants have been associated with T2D but our knowledge of their ability to predict T2D prospectively is limited...
- Variants of the transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene are associated with type 2 diabetes in an African-American population enriched for nephropathyMichele M Sale
Center for Human Genomics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Diabetes 56:2638-42. 2007..Our objective was to investigate the importance of TCF7L2 in a larger African-American case-control population...
- Calpain 10 gene polymorphisms are related, not to type 2 diabetes, but to increased serum cholesterol in JapaneseMakoto Daimon
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 2 2 2 Iida nishi, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 56:147-52. 2002..6 +/- 34.3 vs. 198.5 +/- 29.9, P=0.020). The genotype combination might be a risk factor, not for DM, obesity and hypertension, but for increased serum cholesterol...
- Calpain 10 as a predictive gene for type 2 diabetes: evidence from a novel screening system using white blood cells of Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) ratsYuichiro Sato
Laboratory for Molecular Design of Pharmaceutics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokkaido University, Hokkaido, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1765-8. 2003..The level of the calpain 10 (CAPN10) transcript was significantly decreased compared to control animals in WBC before and after onset...
- CAPN10 mRNA splicing and decay is not affected by a SNP associated with susceptibility to type 2 diabetesEduardo López-Orduña
Departamento de Genetica y Biologia Molecular, CINVESTAV IPN, Apartado Postal 14 740, Mexico DF 07360, Mexico
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 358:831-6. 2007..We propose a defective CAPN10 pre-mRNA processing is responsible for the decreased levels of SNP-43 A-allele transcripts in peripheral white cells of healthy and T2D individuals...
- Calpain-10 expression is elevated in pancreatic islets from patients with type 2 diabetesCharlotte Ling
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, Clinical Research Centre CRC, Malmo, Sweden
PLoS ONE 4:e6558. 2009..We also tested if polymorphisms in the CAPN10 gene are associated with gene expression and insulin secretion in vitro...
- Insulin sensitivity of glucose disposal and lipolysis: no influence of common genetic variants in IRS-1 and CAPN10M Stumvoll
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Eberhard Karls University, Tubingen, Germany
Diabetologia 45:651-6. 2002....
- Genetic variation in the gene encoding calpain-10 is associated with type 2 diabetes mellitusY Horikawa
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nat Genet 26:163-75. 2000..screen for type 2 diabetes genes carried out in Mexican Americans localized a susceptibility gene, designated NIDDM1, to chromosome 2...
- A calpain-10 gene polymorphism is associated with reduced muscle mRNA levels and insulin resistanceL J Baier
Phoenix Epidemiology and Clinical Research Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Phoenix, Arizona 85016, USA
J Clin Invest 106:R69-73. 2000Previous linkage studies in Mexican-Americans localized a major susceptibility locus for type 2 diabetes, NIDDM1, to chromosome 2q...
- Studies of association between the gene for calpain-10 and type 2 diabetes mellitus in the United KingdomJ C Evans
Department of Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, Exeter, EX2 5AX, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 69:544-52. 2001..In conclusion, we were not able to replicate the association of the specific calpain-10 alleles identified by Horikawa et al. but suggest that other alleles at this locus may increase type 2 diabetes risk in the U.K. population...
- Type 2 diabetes and three calpain-10 gene polymorphisms in Samoans: no evidence of associationH J Tsai
Department of Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Hum Genet 69:1236-44. 2001....
- SNP43 of CAPN10 and the risk of type 2 Diabetes in African-Americans: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities StudyMichael J Garant
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Diabetes 51:231-7. 2002..We conclude from this large prospective study that the G allele of SNP43 of CAPN10 or another allele or gene that is in linkage disequilibrium with it increases susceptibility to type 2 diabetes in African-Americans...
- Variation in the calpain-10 gene affects blood glucose levels in the British populationStephen Lynn
School of Clinical Medical Sciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Diabetes 51:247-50. 2002..002). We conclude that genetic variation in the CAPN10 gene influences blood glucose levels in nondiabetic British subjects and that this is due, at least in part, to the effects of calpain-10 on the early insulin secretory response...
- Role of calpain-10 gene variants in familial type 2 diabetes in CaucasiansSteven C Elbein
Department of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:650-4. 2002..We found some evidence for linkage of T2DM to chromosome 2q approximately 20 cM proximal to the NIDDM1/CAPN10 locus...
- Geographic and haplotype structure of candidate type 2 diabetes susceptibility variants at the calpain-10 locusStephanie M Fullerton
Department of Human Genetics, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am J Hum Genet 70:1096-106. 2002..These results suggest a history of positive natural selection at the locus, resulting in significant geographic differences in polymorphism frequencies. The relationship of these differences to disease risk is discussed...
- Relationship of calpain-10 genotype to phenotypic features of polycystic ovary syndromeDavid A Ehrmann
Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1669-73. 2002..In addition to its association with insulin levels in African-Americans, the 112/121-haplotype combination was associated with an approximate 2-fold increase in risk of PCOS in both African-Americans and whites...
- Haplotype combinations of calpain 10 gene polymorphisms associate with increased risk of impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetes in South IndiansPaul G Cassell
Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, Barts and The London Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, London
Diabetes 51:1622-8. 2002Haplotype combination 112/121 and its intrinsic variants (UCSNP43, -19, and -63) identified within the calpain 10 gene are associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes in Mexican-Americans...
- Variation in three single nucleotide polymorphisms in the calpain-10 gene not associated with type 2 diabetes in a large Finnish cohortTasha E Fingerlin
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2029, USA
Diabetes 51:1644-8. 2002..We conclude that variation in these three SNPs in the calpain-10 gene is unlikely to confer susceptibility to type 2 diabetes in this Finnish cohort...
- Variation within the type 2 diabetes susceptibility gene calpain-10 and polycystic ovary syndromeLema Haddad
Complex Traits Analysis Group, Department of Medicine, Imperial College Genetics and Genomics Research Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, London W12 0NN, UK
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:2606-10. 2002..40-1.71). No associations were seen with intermediate traits of relevance to diabetes and PCOS pathogenesis. We have found no evidence from these analyses that CAPN10 gene variation influences susceptibility to PCOS...
- [Relationship between calpain-10 gene polymorphism, hypertension and plasma glucose]Jing Hong
Department of Endocrinology, China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing 100029, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 41:370-3. 2002..To detect the association among calpain-10(CAPN-10) gene polymorphism, hypentension and hyperglycemia...
- Variants in the calpain-10 gene predispose to insulin resistance and elevated free fatty acid levelsMarju Orho-Melander
Department of Endocrinology, Wallenberg Laboratory, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Diabetes 51:2658-64. 2002....
- Variants within the calpain-10 gene on chromosome 2q37 (NIDDM1) and relationships to type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, and impaired acute insulin secretion among Scandinavian CaucasiansSøren K Rasmussen
Steno Diabetes Center and Hagedorn Research Institute, Gentofte, Denmark
Diabetes 51:3561-7. 2002....
- Association of the SNP-19 genotype 22 in the calpain-10 gene with elevated body mass index and hemoglobin A1c levels in JapaneseYukio Shima
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Kyorin University School of Health Sciences, 476 Miyashita machi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 8508, Japan
Clin Chim Acta 336:89-96. 2003..An association of variations in the calpain-10 gene (CAPN10) with type 2 diabetes was originally reported in Mexican Americans. However, some studies in other racial groups were contradictory...
- Meta-analysis and a large association study confirm a role for calpain-10 variation in type 2 diabetes susceptibilityMichael N Weedon
Am J Hum Genet 73:1208-12. 2003
- Are variants in the CAPN10 gene related to risk of type 2 diabetes? A quantitative assessment of population and family-based association studiesYiqing Song
Division of Preventive Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Hum Genet 74:208-22. 2004..Our findings also suggest that both large-scale, well-designed association studies and functional studies are warranted to either reliably confirm or conclusively refute the initial hypothesis regarding the role of CAPN10 in T2D risk...
- Linkage of calpain 10 to type 2 diabetes: the biological rationaleNancy J Cox
Department of Human Genetics, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Diabetes 53:S19-25. 2004The follow-up studies to the original report of association of variation at calpain 10 (CAPN10) with type 2 diabetes in the Mexican-American population of Starr County, Texas, encompass a broad range of science...
- RyR2 and calpain-10 delineate a novel apoptosis pathway in pancreatic isletsJames D Johnson
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 279:24794-802. 2004..Thus RyR2 activity seems to play an essential role in beta-cell survival in vitro by suppressing a death pathway mediated by calpain-10, a type 2 diabetes susceptibility gene with previously unknown function...
- Evidence that an isoform of calpain-10 is a regulator of exocytosis in pancreatic beta-cellsCatriona Marshall
Centre for Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, Whitechapel, London E1 1BB, United Kingdom
Mol Endocrinol 19:213-24. 2005..Based upon these findings, we postulate that an isoform of calpain-10 is a Ca2+-sensor that functions to trigger exocytosis in pancreatic beta-cells...
- Genetic variants in the calpain-10 gene and the development of type 2 diabetes in the Japanese populationNaoko Iwasaki
Diabetes Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 162 8666, Japan
J Hum Genet 50:92-8. 2005..82 and 0.80, respectively; P=0.04 and 0.02). Thus, variation in the calpain-10 gene may affect risk of type 2 diabetes in Japanese, especially in older individuals...
- Variants of calpain-10 gene and its association with type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Chinese populationBin Wu
Division of Health Sciences, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Room A203, 10 2, Tomogaoka 7 Chome Suma Ku Kobe, Kobe 6540142, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 68:155-61. 2005..4 versus 5.2 +/- 0.7, p = 0.011). Our results suggest that haplotype combination 112/221 associated with reduced risk for T2DM and haplotype combination 112/121 might be a risk factor for increased serum cholesterol in Chinese population...
- Genetic and nongenetic regulation of CAPN10 mRNA expression in skeletal muscleEmma Carlsson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Diabetes 54:3015-20. 2005..Glucose-tolerant but not glucose-intolerant individuals upregulate their CAPN10 mRNA levels in response to prolonged exposure to fat...
- [Single nucleotide polymorphisms and genotype combinations in calpain-10 gene of Korean population]Qing Song Xu
Department of Forensic Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Yanbian, Yanji, Jilin 133000, P R China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 23:100-2. 2006..This is an investigation made in Korean population with regard to the distribution of the single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in calpain-10 gene that was discovered in Mexican American...
- Haplotype combination of Calpain-10 gene polymorphism is associated with metabolic syndrome in type 2 diabetesEun Seok Kang
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 73:268-75. 2006..927, P=0.042). The results of this study suggest that a novel 111/121 haplotype combination created by the CAPN10 SNP-43, -19, and -63 increases the susceptibility to the metabolic syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- A novel 111/121 diplotype in the Calpain-10 gene is associated with type 2 diabetesEun Seok Kang
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchondong, Sedaemungu, Seoul, Korea
J Hum Genet 51:629-33. 2006..001). The high-risk haplotype (112/121) in Mexican-Americans was not significant in our study population. In conclusion, we found that a novel 111/121 diplotype in Calpain-10 gene is associated with T2DM in the Korean population...
- Common polymorphisms of calpain-10 are associated with abdominal obesity in subjects at high risk of type 2 diabetesJ Pihlajamaki
University of Kuopio, Department of Medicine, Kuopio, Finland
Diabetologia 49:1560-6. 2006....
- Association of the calpain-10 gene with type 2 diabetes in Europeans: results of pooled and meta-analysesTakafumi Tsuchiya
Departments of Medicine and Human Genetics, The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC1027, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Genet Metab 89:174-84. 2006..68 (1.33-2.11), P=0.00001). The pooled and meta-analyses as well as the linkage disequilibrium and haplotype diversity studies suggest a role for genetic variation in CAPN10 affecting risk of T2D in Europeans...
- Targeted suppression of calpain-10 expression impairs insulin-stimulated glucose uptake in cultured primary human skeletal muscle cellsAudrey E Brown
School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Medical School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Mol Genet Metab 91:318-24. 2007..Suppression of calpain-10 expression did not affect insulin-stimulated glycogen synthesis nor insulin-signalling via PKB, suggesting that calpain-10 may exert a direct regulatory effect upon the glucose uptake mechanism...
- Variations in the calpain-10 gene are associated with the risk of type 2 diabetes and hypertension in northern Han Chinese populationShu Feng Chen
Department of Evidence Based Medicine and Division of Population Genetics, Fuwai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100037, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:2218-23. 2007..The present study aimed to identify the effects of genetic variations in the CAPN10 gene on the development of type 2 diabetes and hypertension in northern Han Chinese population...
- Association of calpain-10 polymorphisms with type 2 diabetes in the Tunisian populationC Kifagi
Targets for Diagnosis and Therapeutic in the Human Pathology Research Unit, Center of Biotechnology of Sfax and Laboratoire International Associé No 135, Sfax, Tunisia
Diabetes Metab 34:273-8. 2008..At the NIDDM1 locus (2q37...
- [Study of association of the SNP19 polymorphism of calpain 10 gene with type 2 diabetes in ethnic sub-groups of the Tunisian population: gene-environment interaction]T Baroudi Ouederni
Faculte des Sciences de Tunis, Université El Manar II, Tunis, Tunisie
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 67:171-6. 2009..After adjusting for gender and age, we found an association with a high risk of T2DM in Djerba Island only in Arab sub-group...
- Co-existence of risk and protective haplotypes of Calpain 10 gene to type 2 diabetes in the eastern Indian populationSangeeta Adak
Department of Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, India 2Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Government of West Bengal, India
Diab Vasc Dis Res 7:63-8. 2010..In our population a novel 111/112-haplotype combination created by the CAPN10 UCSNP-43, -19 and -63 was associated with risk of T2DM. Haplotypes 112 and 121 with opposite genetic influences also co-exist in our population...
- Association of calpain 10 gene polymorphisms with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Southern IndiansDhanasekaran Bodhini
Department of Molecular Genetics, Madras Diabetes Research Foundation ICMR Advanced Centre for Genomics of Diabetes, Chennai 603 103, India
Metabolism 60:681-8. 2011..In conclusion, our study raises the possibility that the 2111 haplotype of SNPs -44, -43, -19, and -63 may be associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus, although none of these SNPs may be individually associated with diabetes...
- Functional significance of the UCSNP-43 polymorphism in the CAPN10 gene for proinsulin processing and insulin secretion in nondiabetic GermansM Stumvoll
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Eberhard Karls Universitat, Tubingen, Germany
Diabetes 50:2161-3. 2001Recently, an association of the G allele in UCSNP-43 of calpain 10 with type 2 diabetes and decreased glucose disposal was reported. Calpain 10 is also expressed in pancreatic islets...
- Comment: CAPN10 alleles are associated with polycystic ovary syndromeAlejandro Gonzalez
Centro Avanzado de Fertilidad, Unidad de Reproducción y Genética Humana, Instituto Medico Serman, Jerez de la Frontera, Cadiz, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3971-6. 2002..Our data indicate that CAPN10 UCSNP-44 allele is associated with PCOS in the Spanish population (P = 0.01). These results support a role of Calpain 10 gene in PCOS susceptibility in humans.
- Genetic variations in calpain-10 gene are not a major factor in the occurrence of type 2 diabetes in JapaneseYukio Horikawa
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Department of Cell Biology, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Gunma 371 8512, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:244-7. 2003....
- Association of the calpain-10 gene with type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Mexican populationLaura Del Bosque-Plata
Department of Biochemistry, Medicine and Human Genetics, The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC1028, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Genet Metab 81:122-6. 2004..15, 95% CI=0.57-2.34). The results suggest that variation in CAPN10 affects risk of type 2 diabetes in the mestizo population of central Mexico (Mexico City and Orizaba) and in Mexican Americans (Starr County, Texas)...
- Variation in the calpain-10 gene is associated with elevated triglyceride levels and reduced adipose tissue messenger ribonucleic acid expression in obese Swedish subjectsEmma Carlsson
Department of Endocrinology, Lund University, Wallenberg Laboratory, Malmo University Hospital, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3601-5. 2004....
- Common genetic variation in calpain-10 gene (CAPN10) and diabetes risk in a multi-ethnic cohort of American postmenopausal womenYiqing Song
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Hum Mol Genet 16:2960-71. 2007..37 for haplotypes in block 2). In conclusion, we did not observe any significant associations of the common SNPs or haplotypes across the CAPN10 gene with diabetes risk in our large and ethnically diverse cohort of postmenopausal women...
- The CAPN10 gene is associated with insulin resistance phenotypes in the Spanish populationMaria E Saez
Neocodex, Departamento de Genomica Estructural, Seville, Spain
PLoS ONE 3:e2953. 2008..The calpain 10 gene (CAPN10) has been associated with type 2 diabetes (T2DM), a complex metabolic disorder with increased risk ..
- Common single nucleotide polymorphisms in intron 3 of the calpain-10 gene influence hirsutismHector F Escobar-Morreale
Department of Endocrinology, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Fertil Steril 77:581-7. 2002..To study three common polymorphisms in intron 3 of the calpain-10 gene (CAPN10) in hyperandrogenic patients...
- Homozygous combination of calpain 10 gene haplotypes is associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Polish populationMaciej T Malecki
Department of Metabolic Diseases, Medical College, Jagiellonian University, 15 Kopernika Street, 31 501 Krakow, Poland
Eur J Endocrinol 146:695-9. 2002..polymorphisms of two genes have recently been associated with complex forms of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM): calpain 10 and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPARgamma)...
- Calpain-10 variants and haplotypes are associated with polycystic ovary syndrome in CaucasiansCaren Vollmert
Institute of Epidemiology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E836-44. 2007..557, P=0.0011). By investigating a broad panel of CAPN10 variants, our results pointed to an allele dose-dependent association of UCSNP-56 and ins/del-19 with PCOS...
- Screening the proteins that interact with calpain in a human heart cDNA library using a yeast two-hybrid systemLi Qun Jiang
Division of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Institute and Fu Wai Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, PR China
Hypertens Res 25:647-52. 2002..Additional studies will be needed to clarify the calpain-related signal transduction pathway in greater detail...
- Different expression patterns of calpain isozymes 1 and 2 (CAPN1 and 2) in squamous cell carcinomas (SCC) and basal cell carcinomas (BCC) of human skinJörg Reichrath
Department of Dermatology, University of Saarland, Homburg, Germany
J Pathol 199:509-16. 2003....
- An immunocytochemical study of calpain II in the hippocampus of rats injected with kainateW Y Ong
Department of Anatomy, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Exp Brain Res 113:117-29. 1997..Many more calpain-positive profiles were observed at electron microscopy 6 days after kainate injection. The enzyme was present in macrophages and astrocytes in lesioned areas...
- Expression of calpain I messenger RNA in human renal cell carcinoma: correlation with lymph node metastasis and histological typeC Braun
Institute of Human Genetics, University Clinic of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Int J Cancer 84:6-9. 1999..Our data suggest an important role of calpain isoenzymes in carcinogenesis and tumor progression...
- Calpain inhibition impairs glycogen syntheses in HepG2 hepatoma cells without altering insulin signalingMarkus Meier
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538 Lubeck, Germany
J Endocrinol 193:45-51. 2007Calpains are a family of non-lysosomal cytoplasmatic cysteine proteases. Since calpain 10 (CAPN10), a member of the calpain family of proteases, has been found to represent a putative diabetes susceptibility gene, it was argued that ..
- [Calpain and pathology in view of structure-function relationships]Hiroyuki Sorimachi
Laboratory of Biological Function, Dept of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Nihon Yakurigaku Zasshi 122:21-9. 2003..One of the recent remarkable topics of calpain is that a single nucleotide polymorphism of CAPN10, the gene for calpain 10, is related to type 2 diabetes...
- Assessing optimal neural network architecture for identifying disease-associated multi-marker genotypes using a permutation test, and application to calpain 10 polymorphisms associated with diabetesB V North
Academic Department of Psychiatry, Barts and The London Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London E1 1BB, UK
Ann Hum Genet 67:348-56. 2003..We have applied the permutation test to 4 SNPs of the calpain 10 (CAPN10) gene typed in a case-control sample of subjects with type 2 diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance, and ..
- Effects of ethylene glycol tetraacetic acid, A23187 and calmodulin, calcium activated neutral proteinase antagonists on melatonin secretion in perifused chick pineal glandM T Agapito
Department Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain
Neurosci Lett 245:143-6. 1998..We propose a prominent role for calcium output from intracellular stores in regulating melatonin production primarily by acting on Ca-calmodulin and calcium-activated neutral protease...
- Complexity in the genetic architecture of leukoaraiosis in hypertensive sibships from the GENOA StudyJennifer A Smith
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
BMC Med Genomics 2:16. 2009..Leukoaraiosis volume is highly heritable but shows significant inter-individual variability that is not predicted well by any clinical covariates (except for age) or by single SNPs...
- Genetic association of glutathione peroxidase-1 with coronary artery calcification in type 2 diabetes: a case control study with multi-slice computed tomographyMasami Nemoto
Division of Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:23. 2007..This study evaluated the effect of genetic polymorphism of enzymes producing or responsible for reducing ROS on coronary artery calcification in type 2 diabetes (T2D)...
- A calcium stimulated cysteine protease involved in isoproterenol induced cardiac hypertrophyG D Arthur
School of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 176:241-8. 1997..It is concluded that a calcium stimulated cysteine protease(s), such as calpain, may be involved in the biochemical and functional changes associated with isoproterenol induced cardiac hypertrophy...
- Cloning, expression, and polymorphism of the porcine calpain10 geneXiuqin Yang
College of Animal Science and Technology, Northeast Agricultural University, Harbin 150030, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 40:356-63. 2008..C527T mutation was a missense mutation and led to transforming Pro into Leu at the 176 th amino acid. The results of the current study provided basic molecular information for further study of the function of the porcine CAPN10 gene...
- Effects of EGTA and calmodulin, neutral thiol proteinases and protein kinase C inhibitors on loss of chicken pineal serotonin N-acetyltransferase activityJ C Rodriguez Cabello
Departamento de Bioquimica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain
J Comp Physiol B 159:583-8. 1989..In these homogenates two calmodulin inhibitors, a protein kinase C inhibitor and a neutral thiol proteinase inhibitor, and EGTA were found to markedly reduce the rate of serotonin N-acetyltransferase deactivation...
- Mutations in the proteolytic enzyme calpain 3 cause limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2AI Richard
Genethon, Evry, France
Cell 81:27-40. 1995..Finally, these results demonstrate an enzymatic rather than a structural protein defect causing a muscular dystrophy, a defect that may have regulatory consequences, perhaps in signal transduction...
- Calpain-10 is a component of the obesity-related quantitative trait locus Adip1James M Cheverud
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Lipid Res 51:907-13. 2010..Differences between the LG/J and SM/J Capn10 alleles are the likely source of some of the QTL effects mapped to Adip1 in the LG/J-by-SM/J cross. Capn10 plays an important role in regulating obesity and diabetes in mice...
- Capn10, a candidate gene responsible for type 2 diabetes mellitus in the OLETF ratYouji Muramatsu
Department of Food Sciences, Shizuoka Eiwa Gakuin University Junior College, Ikeda, Shizuoka, Shizuoka 422 8005, Japan
IUBMB Life 55:533-7. 2003..This non-conservative amino acid substitution might be associated with susceptibility to type 2 diabetes in OLETF rats...
- Calpain 10 and type 2 diabetes: are we getting closer to an explanation?Martin Ridderstrale
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Wallenberg Laboratory, University Hospital MAS, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8:361-6. 2005A variation in the gene encoding the cysteine protease calpain 10 (CAPN10) was recently linked and associated with type 2 diabetes by positional cloning...
- Protease activity in brain, nerve, and muscle of hens given neuropathy-inducing organophosphates and a calcium channel blockerH A El-Fawal
Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg 24061
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 103:133-42. 1990..This indicates that calcium channel blockers may contribute to amelioration of organophosphate-induced delayed neuropathy by attenuation of calcium-mediated disruption of axonal and muscle cytoskeletal homeostasis...
- Calpain: new perspectives in molecular diversity and physiological-pathological involvementT C Saido
Department of Molecular Biology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, Japan
FASEB J 8:814-22. 1994..Another major accomplishment is the technical breakthrough allowing spatial resolution of calpain action presenting a clearer in vivo picture of how calpain acts in cells and tissues...
- Characterization of monoclonal antibodies to calpain 3 and protein expression in muscle from patients with limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2AL V Anderson
Neurobiology Department, University Medical School, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 153:1169-79. 1998..These results indicate that immunodiagnosis is feasible, but caution will need to be exercised with the interpretation of near-normal protein profiles...
- Mutations of calpain 3 gene in patients with sporadic limb-girdle muscular dystrophy in JapanN Minami
Department of Laboratory Medicine, National Center Hospital for Mental, Nervous and Muscular Disorders, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry NCNP, Kodaira, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurol Sci 171:31-7. 1999....
- Calpain 10 and genetics of type 2 diabetesNancy J Cox
University of Chicago, Department of Human Genetics, 507H CLSC, 920 E 58th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Curr Diab Rep 2:186-90. 2002..We review the results of follow-up studies on the CAPN10 finding, and consider the issues inherent in conclusively establishing that particular genetic variation affects a complex phenotype...
- Selective activation induced cleavage of the NR2B subunit by calpainKelly L Simpkins
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4306, USA
J Neurosci 23:11322-31. 2003..Such forms could contribute to excitotoxicity and synaptic remodeling...
- Association of markers in the bovine CAPN1 gene with meat tenderness in large crossbred populations that sample influential industry siresB T Page
U S Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE 68933, USA
J Anim Sci 82:3474-81. 2004..04) and the Cycle VII population (P = 0.02), supporting the hypothesis that they represent potential markers to aid selection for improved meat tenderness in commercial populations of beef cattle in the United States...
- Assessment of single nucleotide polymorphisms in genes residing on chromosomes 14 and 29 for association with carcass composition traits in Bos indicus cattleE Casas
ARS, USDA, U S Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE 68933, USA
J Anim Sci 83:13-9. 2005..The results suggest that the use of molecular marker information developed in Bos taurus populations to Bos indicus populations may require development of appropriate additional markers...
- Association of the E23K polymorphism in the KCNJ11 gene with gestational diabetes mellitusN Shaat
Department of Clinical Sciences Diabetes and Endocrinology, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Diabetologia 48:2544-51. 2005..Our aim was to investigate whether, like type 2 diabetes, GDM has a genetic predisposition by studying five common polymorphisms in four candidate genes that have previously been associated with type 2 diabetes...
- Calpain facilitates actin reorganization during glucose-stimulated insulin secretionMark D Turner
Centre for Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, Whitechapel, London E1 2AT, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 352:650-5. 2007..Based on our findings, we propose that calpain plays a role in facilitating the actin reorganization required for glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in INS-1 cells...
- Combining sperm typing and linkage disequilibrium analyses reveals differences in selective pressures or recombination rates across human populationsVanessa J Clark
Department of Human Genetics, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Genetics 175:795-804. 2007....
- Diabetes genes and prostate cancer in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities studyTamra E Meyer
Human Genetics Center and Division of Epidemiology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:558-65. 2010..02; blacks only). The TCF7L2 rs7903146 T allele was inversely associated with PrCa using a dominant genetic model (HR, 0.79; 95% CI, 0.65-0.97). Further knowledge of T2D gene-PrCa mechanisms may improve understanding of PrCa etiology...
- Molecular cloning and analysis of small optic lobes, a structural brain gene of Drosophila melanogasterS J Delaney
Molecular Neurobiology Group, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:7214-8. 1991..By constructing transgenic flies carrying a single wild-type copy of the sol gene in a homozygous sol mutant background, we have restored the normal neuroanatomical phenotype to individuals that would have developed mutant brains...
- Elevation of cerebral proteases after systemic administration of aluminumS Guo-Ross
Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, Department of Community and Environmental Medicine, University of California, Irvine 92697 1825, USA
Neurochem Int 33:277-82. 1998..Since aluminum is suspected as a possible factor in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease and other neurological diseases, it is speculated that changed levels in proteolytic enzymes may relate to the neurotoxicity of aluminum...
- CAPN 8: isolation of a new mouse calpain-isoenzymeC Braun
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Saar, Homburg Saar, D 66421, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 260:671-5. 1999..Highest levels were found in brain, kidney, and digestive tract, suggesting a specific regulatory function of CAPN 8 in these tissues...
- Secondary reduction in calpain 3 expression in patients with limb girdle muscular dystrophy type 2B and Miyoshi myopathy (primary dysferlinopathies)L V Anderson
Neurobiology Department, University Medical School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Neuromuscul Disord 10:553-9. 2000..In addition, an association was found between prominent expression of smaller forms of the 80 kDa fragment of laminin alpha 2 chain (merosin) and dysferlin-deficiency...
- Genome-wide association with diabetes-related traits in the Framingham Heart StudyJames B Meigs
General Medicine Division, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Med Genet 8:S16. 2007..Susceptibility to type 2 diabetes may be conferred by genetic variants having modest effects on risk. Genome-wide fixed marker arrays offer a novel approach to detect these variants...
- Allyl isothiocyanate influences cell adhesion, migration and metalloproteinase gene expression in SK-Hep1 cellsEun Sun Hwang
Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University, Shillim Dong, Gwanak Gu, Korea
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 234:105-11. 2009..Semiquantitative RT-PCR confirmed these results in mRNA levels. Based on these in vitro results, it can be concluded that AITC might be potentially useful in suppressing tumor cell migration and MMP expression...
- Organophosphorus-induced delayed neuropathy: a simple and efficient therapeutic strategyGuilherme L Emerick
Pharmaceutical Sciences Graduation Program, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Toxicol Lett 192:238-44. 2010..Thus, with one suitably adjusted dose of nimodipine as well as Ca-glu, we believe that this treatment strategy may be used in humans with acute poisoning by neuropathic OP...
- Association of CAPN10 gene with insulin sensitivity, glucose tolerance and renal function in essential hypertensive patientsXiaoou Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Medical Genomics, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Clin Chim Acta 411:1126-31. 2010....
- Genetics of childhood-onset inflammatory bowel diseasePaul Henderson
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh, UK
Inflamm Bowel Dis 17:346-61. 2011....
- SNPHunter: a bioinformatic software for single nucleotide polymorphism data acquisition and managementLin Wang
Program for Population Genetics, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 6:60. 2005..Selection and retrieval of an optimal SNP set from publicly available databases have emerged as the foremost bottlenecks in designing large-scale linkage disequilibrium studies, particularly in case-control settings...
- Separation of peptides on the basis of the difference in positive charge: simultaneous isolation of C-terminal and blocked N-terminal peptides from tryptic digestsH Kawasaki
Department of Molecular Biology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science
J Biochem 102:393-400. 1987..The N-terminal peptides of calcium-activated neutral protease were successfully isolated by this method...
- Common polymorphisms of calpain-10 and the risk of Type 2 Diabetes in a Tunisian Arab population: a case-control studyIntissar Ezzidi
Research Unit of Biology and Genetics of Hematological and Auto immune diseases, Faculty of Pharmacy of Monastir, University of Monastir, Tunisia
BMC Med Genet 11:75. 2010..Genetic variations in the calpain-10 gene (CAPN10), in particular the at-risk diplotype (112/121), were previously implicated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes (T2D)...
- Liver alcohol dehydrogenase is degraded by the ubiquitin-proteasome pathwayE Mezey
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 921 Ross Research Building, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285:644-8. 2001..These results suggest that the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway plays a role in the degradation of ADH and in the enhanced degradation of this enzyme by DHT...
- Genetics of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance: knowledge from human studiesE A McIntyre
School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 57:303-11. 2002....
- Identifying Calpain-10 Substrates from Human ProteomeRihe Liu; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Schistosome Calpain as a Vaccine CandidatesAfzal Siddiqui; Fiscal Year: 2002..Of greater importance, these studies should provide new insight into immune mechanisms which can damage worm parasites and establish a model by which to subsequently study the effector mechanisms. ..
- CALPAIN AND SUBSTRATES IN AGED AND ALZEHEIMER BRAINSLYNN PERLMUTTER; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- LEUPEPTIN IN RECOVERY AFTER NERVE REPAIRLAWRENCE HURST; Fiscal Year: 1992..Leupeptin holds significant potential as an adjunctive therapy to peripheral nerve repair in facilitating an earlier and more efficient return to motor and sensory function in humans...
- Genetic and Biochemical Predictors of Type 2 DM in WomenSimin Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Knowledge gained from this proposed study may suggest new intervention strategies to lower the incidence of type 2 DM in the general population. ..
- Natural selection and type 2 diabetes genesVanessa Clark; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Copy-number polymorphism analysis of the type 2 diabetes gene calpain 10Nancy Cox; Fiscal Year: 2007..One of the first regions implicated in linkage mapping studies of complex disorders was the NIDDM1 region of chromosome 2q37 in type 2 diabetes (T2D) in Mexican Americans...
- Genes & Gestational DM: Case Control Association StudyKathleen King; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will contribute to an understanding of the genetics of GDM and T2DM. Identification of genes associated with diabetes may facilitate interventions to prevent the onset or ameliorate the complications associated with diabetes. ..
- Phenotype-Genotype Interactions and Type 2 DiabetesJames Meigs; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results will provide a foundation for future laboratory efforts and will increase understanding of phenotype-genotype interactions in diabetes pathogenesis. ..
- EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ON MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR PATHOLOGYEsteban Mezey; Fiscal Year: 2008..The final objective is to instill in the trainee the ability to approach original questions of research relating to the pathogenesis of damaging effects of alcoholism on the body. ..
- The international 1q type 2 diabetes consortiumMARK IAN MCCARTHY; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information will contribute to future diagnostic and therapeutic advances in the clinical management of this condition. ..
- GENETIC VARIATION IN MURINE LONG BONE GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENTJames M Cheverud; Fiscal Year: 2010..The outcome of these experiments will be a better understanding of the genetic, molecular, and cellular processes responsible for variation in limb growth with consequences for our understanding of pathologies of growth. ..
- A Mouse Model for Complex Human DiseasesJames Cheverud; Fiscal Year: 2009..Backcrossing with SM/J will be used to narrow the QTL interval for strain loss and to produce a new strain, carrying the unusual phenotypes of SM/J without requiring enforced heterozygosity at the agouti locus. ..
- Genetic Environmental Relationship Between Bone Obesity and Leptin in MiceJames M Cheverud; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will identify novel genes and physiological pathways affecting osteoporosis and examine how genetic and environmentally-based obesity affects bone mass, morphology and biomechanical function. ..
- GENE INTERACTION FOR BODY WEIGHT COMPONENTS IN MICEJames Cheverud; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition to positional cloning of the QTLs, congenic strains will be formed for each QTL and will be tested, along with the LGxSM recombinant inbred strains for a variety of obesity-related traits. ..
- Genetics Basis of Dietary Obesity in MiceJames Cheverud; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will increase our knowledge of the important physiological effects of dietary fat, including the genetic variants responsible for individual variations in response to a high fat diet. ..
- Vitamin K: Genetics of Vascular CalcificationJose Ordovas; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research should provide the basis for more comprehensive genetic studies aimed to provide better identification of risk and more precise therapeutic approaches for these age-related disorders. ..
- Sleep, Metabolic, and Cardiovascular Dysfunction in PCOSDavid Ehrmann; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the other, slow wave activity will be suppressed without awakening the subject and REM sleep will be left undisturbed. Each study will be preceded by 2 nights of basetine sleep. ..
- PAT PROTEINS: GENE-DIET INTERACTIONS OBESITY RISK AND HEALTHJose Ordovas; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- GENE/DIET EFFECTS ON PLASMA LIPOPROTEIN LEVELSJose M Ordovas; Fiscal Year: 2010..This evidence-based knowledge will contribute to a rational approach toward more effective dietary recommendations aimed to decrease health disparities and to a better CVD prevention. ..
- Genetic contributors to diabetes and dyslipidemia in African AmericansMichele M Sale; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose applying this proven strategy to identify new therapeutic targets and allow translation to novel diagnostic, prevention, and treatment strategies for type 2 diabetes. ..