Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BRSK1
Description: BR serine/threonine kinase 1
Alias: hSAD1, serine/threonine-protein kinase BRSK1, BR serine/threonine-protein kinase 1, SAD1 homolog, SAD1 kinase, SadB kinase short isoform, brain-selective kinase 1, brain-specific serine/threonine-protein kinase 1, protein kinase SAD1A, serine/threonine-protein kinase SAD-B, synapses of Amphids Defective homolog 1
- LKB1 is a master kinase that activates 13 kinases of the AMPK subfamily, including MARK/PAR-1Jose M Lizcano
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
EMBO J 23:833-43. 2004..A total of 12 human kinases (NUAK1, NUAK2, BRSK1, BRSK2, QIK, QSK, SIK, MARK1, MARK2, MARK3, MARK4 and MELK) are related to AMPK...
- SAD: a presynaptic kinase associated with synaptic vesicles and the active zone cytomatrix that regulates neurotransmitter releaseEiji Inoue
KAN Research Institute, Kyoto 600 8815, Japan
Neuron 50:261-75. 2006..Furthermore, SAD-B phosphorylates the active zone protein RIM1 but not Munc13-1. These results suggest that mammalian SAD kinase presynaptically regulates neurotransmitter release...
- Putative Tumor Suppressor Genes EGR1 and BRSK1 Are Mutated in Gastric and Colorectal CancersEun Ji Choi
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Oncology 91:289-294. 2016The transcription factor-encoding EGR1 and the kinase-encoding BRSK1 are considered putative tumor suppressor genes (TSGs)...
- Synapses of amphids defective (SAD-A) kinase promotes glucose-stimulated insulin secretion through activation of p21-activated kinase (PAK1) in pancreatic β-CellsJia Nie
Key Laboratory of Human Functional Genomics of Jiangsu Province, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
J Biol Chem 287:26435-44. 2012..Together, the present studies identified a critical role of SAD-A in the activation of PAK1 during the onset of insulin exocytosis...
- Phosphorylation of microtubule-associated protein tau by AMPK-related kinasesHirotaka Yoshida
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
J Neurochem 120:165-76. 2012..BX 795, an inhibitor of MARK1 and SIK, reduced 12E8-immunolabelling of tau in rat cortical neurons. These findings reveal a significant contribution of AMPK-related kinases to the phosphorylation of tau at S262/S356...
- Ethnic specificity of variants of the ESR1, HK3, BRSK1 genes and the 8q22.3 locus: no association with premature ovarian failure (POF) in Serbian womenYingying Qin
Center for Reproductive Medicine, Shandong Provincial Hospital, Shandong University, National Research Center for Assisted Reproductive Technology and Reproductive Genetics, The Key Laboratory for Reproductive Endocrinology of Ministry of Education, Shandong Provincial Key Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Jinan, China
Maturitas 77:64-7. 2014..3 SNPs rs3847153 and rs3108910; and one SNP each in HK3 (rs2278493), ESR1 (rs2234693) and BRSK1 (rs12611091) - are associated with premature ovarian failure (POF) in a different ethnic group (Serbian).
- Investigation of LKB1 Ser431 phosphorylation and Cys433 farnesylation using mouse knockin analysis reveals an unexpected role of prenylation in regulating AMPK activityVanessa P Houde
MRC Protein Phosphorylation and Ubiquitylation Unit, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, U K
Biochem J 458:41-56. 2014..The activity of several of the AMPK-related kinases analysed [BRSK1 (BR serine/threonine kinase 1), BRSK2, NUAK1 (NUAK family, SNF1-like kinase 1), SIK3 (salt-inducible kinase 3) and ..
- Meta-analysis of loci associated with age at natural menopause in African-American womenChristina T L Chen
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Hum Mol Genet 23:3327-42. 2014..05): AMHR2, RHBLD2, PRIM1, HK3/UMC1, BRSK1/TMEM150B and MCM8. In addition, associations of 14 loci are directionally consistent with previous reports...
- Quantitative-proteomic comparison of alpha and Beta cells to uncover novel targets for lineage reprogrammingAmit Choudhary
Society of Fellows, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America Center for the Science of Therapeutics, Broad Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e95194. 2014..Our phosphoproteomic analysis indicated that two kinases, BRSK1 and CAMKK2, exhibit decreased phosphorylation in beta cells compared to alpha cells, and in compound-treated alpha ..
- 14-3-3 cooperates with LKB1 to regulate the activity and localization of QSK and SIKAbdallah K Al-Hakim
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee, DD1 5EH, UK
J Cell Sci 118:5661-73. 2005..To our knowledge, this study provides the first example of 14-3-3 binding directly to the T-loop of a protein kinase and influencing its catalytic activity and cellular localization...
- Decreased expression and prognostic role of cytoplasmic BRSK1 in human breast carcinoma: correlation with Jab1 stability and PI3K/Akt pathwayHua Wang
Department of General Surgery, The Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Medical College of Nantong University, Nantong 226001, Jiangsu, PR China
Exp Mol Pathol 97:191-201. 2014..The objective of this study was to examine the effect of brain specific kinase 1 (BRSK1) expression on Jab1 over-expression and related signaling pathway in breast cancer.
- Protein phosphatase 4 is phosphorylated and inactivated by Cdk in response to spindle toxins and interacts with γ-tubulinMartin Voss
Medical Research Council Protein Phosphorylation and Ubiquitylation Unit College of Life Sciences University of Dundee Dundee, Scotland, UK
Cell Cycle 12:2876-87. 2013..Recombinant γ-tubulin can be phosphorylated by Cdk1-cyclin B or Brsk1 and dephosphorylated by Ppp4c-R2-R3A in vitro...
- The regulation and function of the NUAK familyXiangLan Sun
Department of Endocrinology Central Laboratory, Provincial Hospital affiliated to Shandong University, Jinan, China Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Taipei City Hospital, Ren Ai Branch, Taipei, Taiwan Department of Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Institute of Oral Biology, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan Department of Education and Research, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Mol Endocrinol 51:R15-22. 2013..Twelve AMPK-related kinases (ARKs; BRSK1, BRSK2, NUAK1, NUAK2, QIK, QSK, SIK, MARK1, MARK2, MARK3, MARK4, and MELK) have been identified recently...
- Evaluating GWAS-identified SNPs for age at natural menopause among chinese womenChong Shen
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt Epidemiology Center, and Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e58766. 2013..No study has been conducted to evaluate whether these findings can be generalized to Chinese women...
- Replication of genetic loci for ages at menarche and menopause in the multi-ethnic Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) studyC L Carty
Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Hum Reprod 28:1695-706. 2013..identified in genome-wide association studies (GWAS) of age at menarche (AM) and age at natural menopause (ANM) replicate in women of diverse race/ancestry from the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study?..
- Genetic variation and reproductive timing: African American women from the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) StudyKylee L Spencer
Department of Biology and Environmental Science, Heidelberg University, Tiffin, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e55258. 2013..or generalized one previously identified variant for AM, rs1361108/CENPW, and two variants for ANM, rs897798/BRSK1 and rs769450/APOE, to our African American cohort...
- Genetic variation may modify ovarian reserve in female childhood cancer survivorsW van Dorp
Department of Paediatric Oncology Haematology, ErasmusMC University Medical Centre Sophia s Children s Hospital Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 60, 3015 GJ Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 28:1069-76. 2013..Are genetic polymorphisms, previously identified as being associated with age at menopause in the healthy population, associated with ovarian reserve and predicted age at menopause in adult long-term survivors of childhood cancer?..
- Replication of loci influencing ages at menarche and menopause in Hispanic women: the Women's Health Initiative SHARe StudyChristina T L Chen
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Hum Mol Genet 21:1419-32. 2012..LRP18, LIN28B, CENPW, INHBA, TMEM38B, ZNF483, NFAT5 and OLFM2) with age at menarche, and of two loci (MCM8 and BRSK1/TMEM150B) with age at menopause. The MCM8 locus was also associated with early menopause risk...
- ESR1, HK3 and BRSK1 gene variants are associated with both age at natural menopause and premature ovarian failureYingying Qin
Center for Reproductive Medicine, Provincial Hospital affiliated to Shandong University, National Research Center for Assisted Reproductive Technology and Reproductive Genetics, The Key Laboratory for Reproductive Endocrinology of Ministry of Education, Shandong Provincial Key Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Jinan, China
Orphanet J Rare Dis 7:5. 2012..We sought to determine if sequence variants previously associated with age at natural menopause (AANM) or early menopause (EM) contribute as well to genetic susceptibility to POF...
- Investigating the regulation of brain-specific kinases 1 and 2 by phosphorylationNicola J Bright
Medical Research Council Cellular Stress Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Du Cane Road, London, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 283:14946-54. 2008Brain-specific kinases 1 and 2 (BRSK1/2) are AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)-related kinases that are highly expressed in mammalian forebrain...
- Brain specific kinase-1 BRSK1/SAD-B associates with lipid rafts: modulation of kinase activity by lipid environmentArantza Rodríguez-Asiain
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1811:1124-35. 2011Brain specific kinases 1 and 2 (BRSK1/2, also named SAD kinases) are serine-threonine kinases specifically expressed in the brain, and activated by LKB1-mediated phosphorylation of a threonine residue at their T-loop (Thr189/174 in human ..
- Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase-beta activates AMPK without forming a stable complex: synergistic effects of Ca2+ and AMPSarah Fogarty
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, U K
Biochem J 426:109-18. 2010..in intact cells or cell-free assays by CaMKKbeta, although we did observe a slow phosphorylation and activation of BRSK1 (brain-specific kinase 1) by CaMKKalpha...
- SADB phosphorylation of gamma-tubulin regulates centrosome duplicationMaria Alvarado-Kristensson
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Nat Cell Biol 11:1081-92. 2009..We propose that SADB kinase activity controls centrosome homeostasis by regulating phosphorylation of gamma-tubulin...
- Genome-wide association studies identify loci associated with age at menarche and age at natural menopauseChunyan He
Program in Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 41:724-8. 2009..3 (in the gene MCM8), 19q13.42 (in or near the gene BRSK1), 5q35.2 (in or near genes UIMC1 and HK3) and 6p24.2 (in the gene SYCP2L)...
- Loci at chromosomes 13, 19 and 20 influence age at natural menopauseLisette Stolk
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 41:645-7. 2009..5 year per A allele (12%); P = 2.5 × 10(-8)). These common genetic variants regulate timing of ovarian aging, an important risk factor for breast cancer, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease...
- The regulation and function of mammalian AMPK-related kinasesN J Bright
Cellular Stress Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, London, UK
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 196:15-26. 2009..Recently, 12 AMPK-related kinases (BRSK1, BRSK2, NUAK1, NUAK2, QIK, QSK, SIK, MARK1, MARK2, MARK3, MARK4 and MELK) were identified that are closely related ..
- C-terminal phosphorylation of LKB1 is not required for regulation of AMP-activated protein kinase, BRSK1, BRSK2, or cell cycle arrestSarah Fogarty
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:77-84. 2009..protein kinase (AMPK) and members of the AMPK-related kinase family, such as the brain-specific kinases BRSK1/BRSK2 (SAD-B/SAD-A)...
- Control of AMPK-related kinases by USP9X and atypical Lys(29)/Lys(33)-linked polyubiquitin chainsAbdallah K Al-Hakim
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 411:249-60. 2008..The results of the present study demonstrate that NUAK1 and MARK4 are substrates of USP9X and provide the first evidence that AMPK family kinases are regulated by unusual Lys(29)/Lys(33)-linked polyubiquitin chains...
- Mapping of a translocation breakpoint in a Peutz-Jeghers hamartoma to the putative PJS locus at 19q13.4 and mutation analysis of candidate genes in polyp and STK11-negative PJS casesNicholas Hearle
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, United Kingdom
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 41:163-9. 2004..No pathogenic mutations in the candidate genes were identified. This report provides further evidence of the existence of a second PJS disease locus at 19q13.4 and excludes involvement of eight candidate genes...
- Human SAD1 kinase is involved in UV-induced DNA damage checkpoint functionRui Lu
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya City University, 1 Kawasumi, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:31164-70. 2004..The identification of this new kinase suggests the existence of an alternative checkpoint pathway other than those of ATR-Chk1 and p38MAPK...