Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ASH1L
Description: ASH1 like histone lysine methyltransferase
Alias: ASH1, ASH1L1, KMT2H, histone-lysine N-methyltransferase ASH1L, ASH1-like protein, absent small and homeotic disks protein 1 homolog, ash1 (absent, small, or homeotic)-like, lysine N-methyltransferase 2H
Publications152 found, 100 shown here
- Alternative epigenetic chromatin states of polycomb target genesYuri B Schwartz
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey, United States of America
PLoS Genet 6:e1000805. 2010..that critical for the active state of PcG target genes are the histone methyltransferases Trithorax (TRX) and ASH1. Here we analyze the repertoire of alternative states in which PcG target genes are found in different Drosophila ..
- Achaete-scute homologue-1 (ASH1) stimulates migration of lung cancer cells through Cdk5/p35 pathwayAbeba Demelash
Cell and Cancer Biology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Biol Cell 23:2856-66. 2012..We were also able to show that p35 was a direct target for hASH1. In conclusion, induction of Cdk5 activity is a novel mechanism through which hASH1 may regulate migration in lung carcinogenesis...
- huASH1 protein, a putative transcription factor encoded by a human homologue of the Drosophila ash1 gene, localizes to both nuclei and cell-cell tight junctionsT Nakamura
Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:7284-9. 2000..trithorax (trx)and ash1 (absent, small, or homeotic 1) are members of the Drosophila trx group...
- Mammalian ASH1L is a histone methyltransferase that occupies the transcribed region of active genesGregory D Gregory
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Division of Hematology, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:8466-79. 2007..To identify the enzymes responsible for placing these modifications, we examined ASH1L, the mammalian homolog of the Drosophila melanogaster Trithorax group (TrxG) protein Ash1...
- Crystal structure of the human histone methyltransferase ASH1L catalytic domain and its implications for the regulatory mechanismSojin An
Structural Biology Laboratory of Epigenetics, Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate school of Nanoscience and Technology World Class University, KI for the BioCentury, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 335 Gwahangno, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 701
J Biol Chem 286:8369-74. 2011..Here, we present the crystal structure of the human ASH1L catalytic domain, showing its substrate binding pocket blocked by a loop from the post-SET domain...
- Dual function of histone H3 lysine 36 methyltransferase ASH1 in regulation of Hox gene expressionYujiro Tanaka
Genome Structure and Regulation, School of Biomedical Science and Biochemical Genetics, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e28171. 2011Hox genes play important roles in haematopoietic development in mammals. ASH1 is a member of the trithorax group (trxG) that is required for proper expression of Hox genes and is preferentially expressed in haematopoietic stem cells...
- A long ncRNA links copy number variation to a polycomb/trithorax epigenetic switch in FSHD muscular dystrophyDaphne S Cabianca
Dulbecco Telethon Institute at San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Division of Regenerative Medicine, Stem Cells, and Gene Therapy, Milan, Italy
Cell 149:819-31. 2012..DBE-T recruits the Trithorax group protein Ash1L to the FSHD locus, driving histone H3 lysine 36 dimethylation, chromatin remodeling, and 4q35 gene transcription...
- An exclusively nuclear RNA-binding protein affects asymmetric localization of ASH1 mRNA and Ash1p in yeastR M Long
Medical College of Wisconsin, Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
J Cell Biol 153:307-18. 2001The localization of ASH1 mRNA to the distal tip of budding yeast cells is essential for the proper regulation of mating type switching in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- A novel mRNA affinity purification technique for the identification of interacting proteins and transcripts in ribonucleoprotein complexesBoris Slobodin
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
RNA 16:2277-90. 2010..g., ASH1-She2; β-Actin-IMP1). By isolating tagged OXA1 mRNA using RaPID, we could identify a yeast COPI subunit (i.e...
- The protein kinase Pho85 is required for asymmetric accumulation of the Ash1 protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeH J McBride
Department of Pathology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Mol Microbiol 42:345-53. 2001The Ash1 protein is a daughter cell-specific repressor of HO gene transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- The Khd1 protein, which has three KH RNA-binding motifs, is required for proper localization of ASH1 mRNA in yeastKenji Irie
Department of Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
EMBO J 21:1158-67. 2002RNA localization is a widespread mechanism for achieving localized protein synthesis. In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Ash1 is a specific repressor of transcription that localizes asymmetrically to the daughter cell nucleus through the ..
- Local activation of yeast ASH1 mRNA translation through phosphorylation of Khd1p by the casein kinase Yck1pNicolas Paquin
Departement de Biochimie, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
Mol Cell 26:795-809. 2007In S. cerevisiae, the ASH1 mRNA is localized at the bud tip of late-anaphase cells, resulting in the exclusive sorting of Ash1p to the daughter cell nucleus...
- Expression pattern of a butterfly achaete-scute homolog reveals the homology of butterfly wing scales and insect sensory bristlesR Galant
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Curr Biol 8:807-13. 1998....
- Constitutive achaete-scute homologue-1 promotes airway dysplasia and lung neuroendocrine tumors in transgenic miceR I Linnoila
Cell and Cancer Biology Department, Medicine Branch, Division of Clinical Sciences, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Rockville, Maryland 20817, USA
Cancer Res 60:4005-9. 2000The transcription factor achaete-scute homologue-1 (ASH1) is essential for neural differentiation during fetal development and is a cardinal feature of neuroendocrine (NE) tumors such as small cell lung cancer...
- A screen for new trithorax group genes identified little imaginal discs, the Drosophila melanogaster homologue of human retinoblastoma binding protein 2J J Gildea
Department of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Genetics 156:645-63. 2000..the trithorax group, we screened a collection of deficiencies for intergenic noncomplementation with a mutation in ash1, a trithorax group gene...
- ASH1 mRNA localization in three actsD L Beach
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3280, USA
Mol Biol Cell 12:2567-77. 2001..In budding yeast, ASH1 mRNA is translocated via actin and myosin to the tip of growing cells...
- Characterization of Candida albicans ASH1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeSonja Münchow
ZMBH, Universitat Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 282, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Curr Genet 41:73-81. 2002..in budding yeast, CaASH1 mRNA is asymmetrically sorted during cell division, which is similar to the fate of ASH1 mRNA...
- Trithorax-group protein ASH1 methylates histone H3 lysine 36Yujiro Tanaka
Genome Structure and Expression, School of Biomedical Science, and Biochemical Genetics, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyoku, Tokyo, Japan
Gene 397:161-8. 2007Drosophila discs absent, small, or homeotic-1 (ASH1) is a member of trithorax-group proteins that play essential roles in epigenetic regulation of Hox genes...
- The Arabidopsis SET-domain protein ASHR3 is involved in stamen development and interacts with the bHLH transcription factor ABORTED MICROSPORES (AMS)Tage Thorstensen
Department of Molecular Biosciences, University of Oslo, PO Box 1041, Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Plant Mol Biol 66:47-59. 2008..analyzed the Arabidopsis trxG protein ASHR3 which has a SET domain and pre- and post-SET domains similar to that of Ash1 in Drosophila...
- dKDM2 couples histone H2A ubiquitylation to histone H3 demethylation during Polycomb group silencingAnna Lagarou
Department of Biochemistry, Center for Biomedical Genetics, Erasmus University Medical Center, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 22:2799-810. 2008..dKDM2 shares many transcriptional targets with Polycomb and counteracts the histone methyltransferases TRX and ASH1. Importantly, cellular depletion and in vitro reconstitution assays revealed that dKDM2 not only mediates H3K36me2 ..
- She3p possesses a novel activity required for ASH1 mRNA localization in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeSharon M Landers
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Eukaryot Cell 8:1072-83. 2009..One mechanism for sorting proteins is through RNA localization. In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, ASH1 mRNA localizes to the distal tip of the bud, resulting in the asymmetric sorting of the transcriptional repressor ..
- Formation of She2p tetramers is required for mRNA binding, mRNP assembly, and localizationMarisa Müller
Institute of Structural Biology, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Genome Research Center for Environmental Health, 81377 Munich, Germany
RNA 15:2002-12. 2009..One of the best-studied examples for directional mRNA transport is the localization of ASH1 mRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. For transport, ASH1 mRNA is bound by the unusual RNA-binding protein She2p...
- Regulation of H3K27me3 and H3K4me3 during early porcine embryonic developmentYu Gao
Department of Basic Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mol Reprod Dev 77:540-9. 2010..EZH2), EZH2 co-factors (EED and SUZ12) and demethylases (JMJD3 and UTX), as well as H3K4me3's methylases (ASH1L and MLL1) and demethylase (RBP2) in porcine pre-implantation embryos...
- Regulation of disease-responsive genes mediated by epigenetic factors: interaction of Arabidopsis-PseudomonasClelia De-la-Peña
Department of Genetic Engineering, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados, Unidad Irapuato, Irapuato, Gto, CP 36821, Mexico
Mol Plant Pathol 13:388-98. 2012..the interaction between Pseudomonas syringae and Arabidopsis thaliana, we analysed three different Arabidopsis ash1-related (absent, small or homeotic discs 1) mutants...
- Sequestration of highly expressed mRNAs in cytoplasmic granules, P-bodies, and stress granules enhances cell viabilityAnna Lavut
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheba, Israel
PLoS Genet 8:e1002527. 2012..These P-bodies stored diverse mRNAs. Granules of two mRNAs transported prior to translation, ASH1-MS2L and OXA1-MS2L, docked with P-bodies...
- Localization of a subset of yeast mRNAs depends on inheritance of endoplasmic reticulumJulia Fundakowski
Interfaculty Institute of Biochemistry, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, 72076, Germany
Traffic 13:1642-52. 2012..Localization of ASH1 mRNA is independent of cER segregation, which is consistent with the expression pattern of ASH1 at late mitosis...
- Skirting the pitfalls: a clear-cut nomenclature for H3K4 methyltransferasesN Bögershausen
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Clin Genet 83:212-4. 2013..This Review aims to point out this nomenclature pitfall, to explain its historical background, and to promote an unequivocal nomenclature system for chromatin-modifying enzymes as proposed by Allis et al. (2007)...
- Quantitative in vivo analysis of chromatin binding of Polycomb and Trithorax group proteins reveals retention of ASH1 on mitotic chromatinPhilipp A Steffen
Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, Dr Bohr Gasse 3, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Nucleic Acids Res 41:5235-50. 2013..of Zeste, (E(Z)), Pleiohomeotic (PHO) and Polycomb (PC) and the TrxG protein absent, small or homeotic discs 1 (ASH1)...
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the stomach: morphologic and immunohistochemical characteristics and prognosisMichihiro Ishida
Gastric Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Surg Pathol 37:949-59. 2013..Two recently reported neuroendocrine markers, ASH1 and NKX2.2, were diffusely positive in 12 (24%) and 17 cases (33%), respectively...
- Identification of genomic alterations in oesophageal squamous cell cancerYongmei Song
1 State Key Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute and Cancer Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100021, China 2
Nature 509:91-5. 2014..Moreover, we have found that several important histone regulator genes (MLL2 (also called KMT2D), ASH1L, MLL3 (KMT2C), SETD1B, CREBBP and EP300) are frequently altered in ESCC...
- Co-transcriptional recruitment of Puf6 by She2 couples translational repression to mRNA localizationKaren Shahbabian
Département de Biochimie et Médecine Moléculaire, Universite de Montreal, 2900 Boulevard Edouard Montpetit, Montreal, QC, H3C 3J7, Canada
Nucleic Acids Res 42:8692-704. 2014..In yeast, localization of transcripts like ASH1 to the bud depends on the RNA-binding protein She2...
- miR-142-3p down-regulation contributes to thyroid follicular tumorigenesis by targeting ASH1L and MLL1Marianna Colamaio
Istituto di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Sperimentale del CNR c o Dipartimento di Medicina Molecolare e Biotecnologie Mediche M C, F P, E R, A U B, A F, S B, A F, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, 80131 Naples, Italy Department of Pathology M D P, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Universite Lyon 1, 69495 Pierre Benite, France CEINGE M G, L D V, Biotecnologie Avanzate, 80145 Naples, Italy Istituto dei Tumori di Napoli G Pascale C A, G C Via Mariano Semmola, 52, 80131 Naples, Italy Dipartimento di Patologia Chirurgica, Medica, Molecolare e dell Area Critica L T, University of Pisa, I 56126 Pisa, Italy and Instituto Nacional de Câncer A F, 20230 130 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 100:E59-69. 2015..A previous micro-RNA expression profile of thyroid follicular adenomas identified miR-142 precursor among the miRNAs downregulated in the neoplastic tissues compared to normal thyroid gland...
- The Rts1 regulatory subunit of PP2A phosphatase controls expression of the HO endonuclease via localization of the Ace2 transcription factorEmily J Parnell
From the Department of Pathology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
J Biol Chem 289:35431-7. 2014..One of the genes activated by Ace2 is ASH1, a protein that normally accumulates mostly in daughter cells; Ash1 is a transcriptional repressor, and it blocks ..
- Here, there, everywhere. mRNA localization in budding yeastBirgit Singer-Krüger
a Interfaculty Institute of Biochemistry University of Tübingen Tübingen, Germany
RNA Biol 11:1031-9. 2014..Although the focus has so far been on the mechanism of ASH1 mRNA transport, it has become evident that mRNA localization also assists in protein sorting to organelles, as well ..
- Of social molecules: The interactive assembly of ASH1 mRNA-transport complexes in yeastAnnika Niedner
a Institute of Structural Biology Helmholtz Zentrum München German Center for Environmental Health Neuherberg, Germany
RNA Biol 11:998-1009. 2014..Over the last two decades, ASH1 mRNA localization in budding yeast has served as comparably simple and accessible model system...
- A single molecule approach to mRNA transport by a class V myosinThomas E Sladewski
a Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics University of Vermont Burlington, VT USA
RNA Biol 11:986-91. 2014..yeast class V myosin motor complex (Myo4p-She3p), an mRNA-binding adaptor protein (She2p), and a localizing mRNA (ASH1). The motion of the mRNP was tracked with high spatial (∼10 nm) and temporal (70 ms) resolution...
- Reprogramming of Polycomb-Mediated Gene Silencing in Embryonic Stem Cells by the miR-290 Family and the Methyltransferase Ash1lChryssa Kanellopoulou
Molecular Development of the Immune System Section, Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Stem Cell Reports 5:971-8. 2015..We identified the methyltransferase Ash1l as a pivotal target of miR-291 mediating this effect...
- Histone methyltransferase Ash1L mediates activity-dependent repression of neurexin-1αΤao Zhu
MOE Key Laboratory of Protein Sciences, Tsinghua Peking Center for Life Sciences, School of Life Sciences, Center for Brain Inspired Computing Research, IDG McGovern Institute for Brain Research, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Sci Rep 6:26597. 2016..protein (ZFP) to pull down the proteins enriched near the nrxn1α promoter region in vivo, we identified that Ash1L, a histone methyltransferase, is enriched in the nrxn1α promoter...
- Paralog-Specific Functions of RPL7A and RPL7B Mediated by Ribosomal Protein or snoRNA Dosage in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeRyan J Palumbo
New York State Department of Health, University at Albany, Upstate Medical University
G3 (Bethesda) . 2016..Phenotypic differences in tunicamycin sensitivity, ASH1 mRNA localization, and mobility of the Ty1 retrotransposon were strongly correlated with Rpl7 and ribosome levels ..
- ASH1L Suppresses Matrix Metalloproteinase through Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase Signaling Pathway in PulpitisYin Bei
State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, West China Hospital of Stomatology, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
J Endod . 2016..However, the epigenetic mechanisms are still poorly understood. In this research, we studied the role of the absent, small, or homeotic-like (ASH1L) gene in the process of pulpitis.
- [RNA localization in the cytoplasm]Eugenia Basyuk
IGMM CNRS UMR 5535, Universite Montpellier II, IFR 122, 1919, route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Med Sci (Paris) 20:669-73. 2004..In this review, the various functions of RNA localization will be presented, and by analyzing two examples, Ash1 mRNA in yeast and retroviral genomic RNAs in mammals, the reader will be taken step by step into the detailed ..
- Histone H2A ubiquitination inhibits the enzymatic activity of H3 lysine 36 methyltransferasesGang Yuan
From the College of Life Sciences, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, 100875
J Biol Chem 288:30832-42. 2013..Notably, all of the H3K36-specific methyltransferases, including ASH1L, HYPB, NSD1, and NSD2 were inhibited by ubH2A, whereas the other histone methyltransferases, including PRC2, G9a, ..
- Ash1 protein, an asymmetrically localized transcriptional regulator, controls filamentous growth and virulence of Candida albicansDiane O Inglis
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:8669-80. 2002..Here we describe the characterization of C. albicans ASH1, a gene that encodes an asymmetrically localized transcriptional regulatory protein involved in this response...
- RNA asymmetric distribution and daughter/mother differentiation in yeastXavier Darzacq
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Curr Opin Microbiol 6:614-20. 2003Active transport and localized translation of the ASH1 mRNA at the bud tip of the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae is an essential process that is required for the regulation of the mating type switching...
- The cAMP pathway in combination with BMP2 regulates Phox2a transcription via cAMP response element binding sitesChutamas Benjanirut
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
J Biol Chem 281:2969-81. 2006..Because the E-box binds bHLH proteins like ASH1 induced in NC cells by BMP2, we propose this novel 170-bp cis-acting element is a composite site, mediating the ..
- Establishment and characterization of murine small cell lung carcinoma cell lines derived from HPV-16 E6/E7 transgenic miceLaura Carraresi
Department of Physiopathology and Experimental Medicine, University of Siena, Via Aldo Moro, 53100 Siena, Italy
Cancer Lett 231:65-73. 2006..Cells express several neuroendocrine markers such as CGRP, MAP-2, Ash1, CgrA, Scg2...
- Previous history of chronic stress changes the transcriptional response to glucocorticoid challenge in the dentate gyrus region of the male rat hippocampusNicole A Datson
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden 2333 ZA, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 154:3261-72. 2013..affected the expression of several genes involved in chromatin structure and epigenetic processes, including Asf1, Ash1l, Hist1h3f, and Tp63...
- The trithorax group proteins Kismet and ASH1 promote H3K36 dimethylation to counteract Polycomb group repression in DrosophilaKristel M Dorighi
Department of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Development 140:4182-92. 2013..KIS promotes transcription elongation, facilitates the binding of the trithorax group histone methyltransferases ASH1 and TRX to active genes, and counteracts repressive methylation of histone H3 on lysine 27 (H3K27) by Polycomb ..
- Identification and characterization of FGF2-dependent mRNA: microRNA networks during lens fiber cell differentiationLouise Wolf
Department of Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461
G3 (Bethesda) 3:2239-55. 2013..and Nfib (DNA-binding transcription factors); Cnot6, Cpsf6, Dicer1, and Tnrc6b (RNA to miRNA processing); and Ash1l, Med1/PBP, and Kdm5b/Jarid1b/Plu1 (chromatin remodeling)...
- Ash1l methylates Lys36 of histone H3 independently of transcriptional elongation to counteract polycomb silencingHitomi Miyazaki
Division of Molecular Genetics and Epigenetics, Department of Biomolecular Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, 5 1 1 Nabeshima, Saga City, Saga, Japan Precursory Research for Embryonic Science and Technology PRESTO, Japan Science and Technology Agency JST, 4 1 8 Honcho, Kawaguchi City, Saitama, Japan
PLoS Genet 9:e1003897. 2013..Here, using genetics and DRB, we show that mammalian Absent, small, or homeotic discs 1-like (Ash1l), a member of the trithorax group proteins, methylates Lys36 of histone H3 to promote the establishment of Hox ..
- The histone methyltransferases Trithorax and Ash1 prevent transcriptional silencing by Polycomb group proteinsTetyana Klymenko
EMBL, Gene Expression Programme, Meyerhofstrasse 1, Heidelberg 69117, Germany
EMBO Rep 5:373-7. 2004..The trxG proteins Ash1 and hTRX and the PcG repressor E(z) are histone methyltransferases (HMTases) that methylate distinct lysine ..
- Histone methyltransferase ASH1 orchestrates fibrogenic gene transcription during myofibroblast transdifferentiationMaria Jesus Perugorria
Institute of Cellular Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hepatology 56:1129-39. 2012..quiescent and activated primary HSCs we found a number of histone methyltransferases including MLL1, MLL5, Set1 and ASH1 to be highly up-regulated during transdifferentiation of HSCs...
- Assembly of mRNA-protein complexes for directional mRNA transport in eukaryotes--an overviewRalf Peter Jansen
Interfaculty Institute for Biochemistry, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Curr Protein Pept Sci 13:284-93. 2012..The first example is She2p/She3p-dependent localization of ASH1 mRNA in budding yeast...
- PfSETvs methylation of histone H3K36 represses virulence genes in Plasmodium falciparumLubin Jiang
Key Laboratory of Molecular Virology and Immunology, Unit of Human Parasite Molecular and Cell Biology, Institut Pasteur of Shanghai, Shanghai 200031, China
Nature 499:223-7. 2013..falciparum variant-silencing SET gene (here termed PfSETvs), which encodes an orthologue of Drosophila melanogaster ASH1 and controls histone H3 lysine 36 trimethylation (H3K36me3) on var genes, results in the transcription of virtually ..
- Molecular genetic analysis of the Drosophila melanogaster gene absent, small or homeotic discs1 (ash1)N A Tripoulas
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218
Genetics 137:1027-38. 1994The absent, small or homeotic discs1 gene (ash1) is one of the trithorax set of genes...
- Trans-regulation of thoracic homeotic selector genes of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes by the trithorax group genes: absent, small, and homeotic discs 1 and 2D Lajeunesse
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Mech Dev 53:123-39. 1995..According to genetic criteria, the Drosophila melanogaster genes absent, small, or homeotic discs 1 and 2 (ash1 and ash2) are members of the trithorax group...
- Molecular genetic analysis of Drosophila ash2, a member of the trithorax group required for imaginal disc pattern formationA L Adamson
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Genetics 144:621-33. 1996..called a PHD finger, that is present not only in the products of other trithorax group genes such as TRX and ASH1, but also in the product of a Polycomb group gene, PCL...
- Actin-dependent localization of an RNA encoding a cell-fate determinant in yeastP A Takizawa
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0450, USA
Nature 389:90-3. 1997..The protein Ash1 is a cell-fate determinant in budding yeast which localizes preferentially to the presumptive daughter nucleus, ..
- Ash1, a daughter cell-specific protein, is required for pseudohyphal growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeS Chandarlapaty
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7260, USA
Mol Cell Biol 18:2884-91. 1998b>Ash1 (for asymmetric synthesis of HO) was first uncovered in genetic screens that revealed its role in mating-type switching. Ash1 prevents HO expression in daughter cells...
- Exon trapping and sequence-based methods of gene finding in transcript mapping of human 4p16.3I Pribill
Molecular Neurogenetics Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown 02129, USA
Somat Cell Mol Genet 23:413-27. 1997..and several anonymous transcripts, including a putative novel DNA polymerase and a gene related to Drosophila ash1. While most of the genes in the region have been found, our data suggest that even with the entire DNA sequence ..
- Association of the class V myosin Myo4p with a localised messenger RNA in budding yeast depends on She proteinsS Münchow
ZMBH, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 282, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Sci 112:1511-8. 1999..Myo4p is required for the localisation of ASH1 mRNA, encoding a transcriptional repressor that is essential for differential expression of the HO gene and mating ..
- Trithorax and ASH1 interact directly and associate with the trithorax group-responsive bxd region of the Ultrabithorax promoterT Rozovskaia
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Mol Cell Biol 19:6441-7. 1999Trithorax (TRX) and ASH1 belong to the trithorax group (trxG) of transcriptional activator proteins, which maintains homeotic gene expression during Drosophila development...
- The bromodomain protein LIN-49 and trithorax-related protein LIN-59 affect development and gene expression in Caenorhabditis elegansH M Chamberlin
Department of Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7360, USA
Development 127:713-23. 2000..most similar to the human bromodomain protein BR140, and LIN-59 is most similar to the Drosophila trx-G protein ASH1. In C...
- Self-association of the SET domains of human ALL-1 and of Drosophila TRITHORAX and ASH1 proteinsT Rozovskaia
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Oncogene 19:351-7. 2000..and in vitro 'pull down' techniques to show self association of the SET motifs of ALL-1, TRITHORAX and ASH1 proteins (Drosophila ASH1 is encoded by a trithorax-group gene)...
- Unconventional myosins and the genetics of hearing lossT B Friedman
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, Rockville, MD 20854, USA
Am J Med Genet 89:147-57. 1999..The discovery that the mouse shaker1 (Myo7(ash1)) locus encodes myosin VIIA led immediately to the identification of mutations in this gene in Usher syndrome type ..
- The PWWP domain: a potential protein-protein interaction domain in nuclear proteins influencing differentiation?I Stec
MGC Department of Human and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, Wassenaarseweg 72, 2333 AL, Leiden, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 473:1-5. 2000..a gene mapping to the Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome critical region and at its C-terminus similar to the Drosophila ASH1/trithorax group proteins, we identified a novel protein domain designated PWWP domain...
- She2p, a novel RNA-binding protein tethers ASH1 mRNA to the Myo4p myosin motor via She3pF Bohl
ZMBH, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 282, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
EMBO J 19:5514-24. 2000RNA localization is a widespread mechanism to achieve localized protein synthesis. In budding yeast, localization of ASH1 mRNA controls daughter cell-specific accumulation of the transcriptional regulator Ash1p, which determines mating ..
- Sok2 regulates yeast pseudohyphal differentiation via a transcription factor cascade that regulates cell-cell adhesionX Pan
Departments of Genetics, Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Microbiology, and Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:8364-72. 2000..By genome array and Northern analysis, we found that genes encoding the transcription factors Phd1, Ash1, and Swi5 were all induced in sok2/sok2 hyperfilamentous mutants...
- Pre-mRNA processing factors are required for nuclear exportA S Brodsky
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
RNA 6:1737-49. 2000..Moreover, when export is blocked, only RNAs containing the ASH1 3' UTR accumulated in the nucleolus...
- High-frequency generation of conditional mutations affecting Drosophila melanogaster development and life spanG Landis
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 1340, USA
Genetics 158:1167-76. 2001..Mutations characterized included inserts in the alpha-mannosidase II (dGMII), ash1, and pumilio genes...
- The Arabidopsis thaliana genome contains at least 29 active genes encoding SET domain proteins that can be assigned to four evolutionarily conserved classesL O Baumbusch
Division of Molecular Biology, Department of Biology, University of Oslo, PO Box 1031 Blindern, N 0315 Norway
Nucleic Acids Res 29:4319-33. 2001..These proteins can be divided into four classes as typified by their Drosophila members E(Z), TRX, ASH1 and SU(VAR)3-9. Homologs of all four classes have been identified in yeast and mammals, but not in plants...
- She4p/Dim1p interacts with the motor domain of unconventional myosins in the budding yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiaeHirofumi Toi
Division of Molecular Interaction, Institute for Genetic Medicine, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 14:2237-49. 2003..protein family, is required for endocytosis, polarization of actin cytoskeleton, and polarization of ASH1 mRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Myo4p and She3p are required for cortical ER inheritance in Saccharomyces cerevisiaePaula Estrada
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
J Cell Biol 163:1255-66. 2003Myo4p is a nonessential type V myosin required for the bud tip localization of ASH1 and IST2 mRNA. These mRNAs associate with Myo4p via the She2p and She3p proteins. She3p is an adaptor protein that links Myo4p to its cargo...
- A new yeast PUF family protein, Puf6p, represses ASH1 mRNA translation and is required for its localizationWei Gu
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Genes Dev 18:1452-65. 2004..The accumulation of Ash1p results from ASH1 mRNA that is sorted as a ribonucleoprotein particle (mRNP or locasome) to the distal tip of the bud where ..
- Daughter-specific repression of Saccharomyces cerevisiae HO: Ash1 is the commanderMaria Pia Cosma
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine, Via P Castellino 111, 80131 Naples, Italy
EMBO Rep 5:953-7. 2004The GATA-1-like factor Ash1 is a repressor of the HO gene, which encodes an endonuclease that is responsible for mating-type switching in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- RNA localization in yeast: moving towards a mechanismGraydon B Gonsalvez
Department of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Biol Cell 97:75-86. 2005..The mechanism by which the mRNAs are trafficked to the bud, illustrated by ASH1 mRNA, involves recognition of cis-acting localization elements present in the mRNA by the RNA-binding protein, ..
- Stable incorporation of sequence specific repressors Ash1 and Ume6 into the Rpd3L complexMichael J Carrozza
Stowers Institute for Medical Research1000 East 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1731:77-87; discussion 75-6. 2005Histone deacetylation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae Rpd3 represses genes regulated by the Ash1 and Ume6 DNA-binding proteins. Rpd3 exists in a small 0.6 MDa (Rpd3S) and large 1.2 MDa (Rpd3L) corepressor complex...
- ASH1 gene is a specific therapeutic target for lung cancers with neuroendocrine featuresHirotaka Osada
Division of Molecular Oncology, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Chikusa, Nagoya, Japan
Cancer Res 65:10680-5. 2005..The basic helix-loop-helix protein, achaete-scute complex-like 1/achaete-scute homologue 1 (ASH1), is expressed in normal fetal pulmonary neuroendocrine cells and lung cancers with neuroendocrine elements and is ..
- Multigene real-time PCR detection of circulating tumor cells in peripheral blood of lung cancer patientsDawn C Hayes
GSK Biologicals Seattle, 1900 9th Avenue, Suite 1100, Seattle, WA 98101 USA
Anticancer Res 26:1567-75. 2006CLCA2, HMGB3, L587S and ASH1 were identified in lung cancer tissues using genetic subtraction, microarray and quantitative PCR, and found to be specific and complementary for detection of non-small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) and small ..
- The scaleless wings mutant in Bombyx mori is associated with a lack of scale precursor cell differentiation followed by excessive apoptosisQing Xiang Zhou
Biotechnology Research Institute, National Key Facility for Crop Gene Resources and Genetic Improvement, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 12 Zhongguancun South Street, Beijing, 100081, People s Republic of China
Dev Genes Evol 216:721-6. 2006..In addition, we have studied Bm-ASH1, an achaete-scute homolog in B...
- Coordination of endoplasmic reticulum and mRNA localization to the yeast budMaria Schmid
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Gene Center, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, D 81377 Munich, Germany
Curr Biol 16:1538-43. 2006..These proteins mediate the localization of 23 mRNAs including ASH1 mRNA and mRNAs encoding membrane proteins...
- Directional mRNA transport in eukaryotes: lessons from yeastM Muller
Gene Center of the Ludwig Maximilians, University Munich and GSF, Institute of Molecular Immunology, Feodor Lynen Strasse 25, 81377, Munich, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 64:171-80. 2007..provides a more detailed description of the most comprehensively studied mRNA translocation complex to date: the ASH1 messenger ribonucleoprotein particle (mRNP) from Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- The proteomic reactor facilitates the analysis of affinity-purified proteins by mass spectrometry: application for identifying ubiquitinated proteins in human cellsJulian Vasilescu
Ottawa Institute of Systems Biology, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8M5, Canada
J Proteome Res 6:298-305. 2007..The Proteomic Reactor is a novel technology that facilitates the analysis of affinity-purified proteins and has the potential to aid future biological studies...
- mRNAs encoding polarity and exocytosis factors are cotransported with the cortical endoplasmic reticulum to the incipient bud in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeStella Aronov
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Mol Cell Biol 27:3441-55. 2007..Asymmetric mRNA localization depends upon factors that facilitate ASH1 mRNA localization (e.g...
- Functional dissection of the ash2 and ash1 transcriptomes provides insights into the transcriptional basis of wing phenotypes and reveals conserved protein interactionsSergi Beltran
Departament de Genetica, Universitat de Barcelona, Diagonal 645, Barcelona, Spain
Genome Biol 8:R67. 2007The trithorax group (trxG) genes absent, small or homeotic discs 1 (ash1) and 2 (ash2) were isolated in a screen for mutants with abnormal imaginal discs...
- mRNA trafficking in fungiKathi Zarnack
Department for Organismic Interactions, Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology, Karl von Frisch Strasse, 35043, Marburg, Germany
Mol Genet Genomics 278:347-59. 2007..The best-understood example is transport of ASH1 mRNA to the distal pole of the incipient daughter cell...
- Myo4p is a monomeric myosin with motility uniquely adapted to transport mRNABrian D Dunn
Department of Cell Biology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Cell Biol 178:1193-206. 2007..that the unique motility of Myo4p is not due to its motor domain and that the motor domain of Myo2p can transport ASH1 mRNA in vivo...
- Regulation of early T cell development by the PHD finger of histone lysine methyltransferase ASH1Yujiro Tanaka
Genome Structure and Expression, School of Biomedical Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyoku, Tokyo 113 8610, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 365:589-94. 2008We have previously isolated a mammalian homologue of Drosophila discsabsent, small, orhomeotic-1 (ash1) from the murine thymus, and recently shown that its SET domain methylates histone H3 lysine 36 (K36)...
- Local regulation of mRNA translation: new insights from the budNicolas Paquin
Departement de Biochimie, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7 Canada
Trends Cell Biol 18:105-11. 2008..To avoid any ectopic expression, translation of the bud-localized ASH1 mRNA is repressed by the translational repressors Puf6p and Khd1p during its transport...
- Gene expression profiling in hepatocellular carcinoma: upregulation of genes in amplified chromosome regionsBritta Skawran
Institute of Cell and Molecular Pathology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Mod Pathol 21:505-16. 2008..down the number of dysregulated genes to 18, with 7 genes localised on 1q22 (SCAMP3, IQGAP3, PYGO2, GPATC4, ASH1L, APOA1BP, and CCT3). In hepatocellular adenoma 26 genes in bands 11p15, 11q12, and 12p13 were upregulated...
- Roles of achaete-scute homologue 1 in DKK1 and E-cadherin repression and neuroendocrine differentiation in lung cancerHirotaka Osada
Division of Molecular Oncology, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Cancer Res 68:1647-55. 2008The proneural basic-helix-loop-helix protein achaete-scute homologue 1 (ASH1) is expressed in a very limited spectrum of normal and cancerous cells in a lineage-specific manner, including normal pulmonary neuroendocrine cells and lung ..
- Translation of ASH1 mRNA is repressed by Puf6p-Fun12p/eIF5B interaction and released by CK2 phosphorylationYingfeng Deng
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Genes Dev 22:1037-50. 2008..In the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisae, silencing of ASH1 mRNA before it is localized to the bud cortex in late anaphase is critical for asymmetric segregation of Ash1p to ..
- Classifying transcription factor targets and discovering relevant biological featuresDustin T Holloway
Molecular Biology Cell Biology and Biochemistry Department, Boston University, 5 Cummington Street, Boston, MA, USA
Biol Direct 3:22. 2008..The classifiers combine 8 genomic datasets covering a broad range of measurements including sequence conservation, sequence overrepresentation, gene expression, and DNA structural properties...
- Association of trxG and PcG proteins with the bxd maintenance element depends on transcriptional activitySvetlana Petruk
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Development 135:2383-90. 2008..Among several trxG and PcG proteins, only Ash1 and Asx require Trithorax in order to bind to their target genes...
- Nuclear transit of the RNA-binding protein She2 is required for translational control of localized ASH1 mRNATung Gia Du
Gene Center, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Feodor Lynen Strasse 25, D 81377 Munich, Germany
EMBO Rep 9:781-7. 2008..Here, we show that a specific transcript, known as ASH1 mRNA, and She2 localize specifically to the nucleolus when their nuclear export is blocked...
- Conserved chromosomal clustering of genes governed by chromatin regulators in DrosophilaEnrique Blanco
Departament de Genètica and Institut de Biomedicina de la Universitat de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Genome Biol 9:R134. 2008..They bind to specific regions of DNA and direct the post-translational modifications of histones, playing a role in the dynamics of chromatin structure...
- Nonsense-mediated decay of ash1 nonsense transcripts in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeWei Zheng
Laboratories of Genetics and Molecular Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Genetics 180:1391-405. 2008..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, wild-type ASH1 mRNA is one of several dozen transcripts that are exported from the mother-cell nucleus during mitotic anaphase, ..
- Drosophila Kismet regulates histone H3 lysine 27 methylation and early elongation by RNA polymerase IIShrividhya Srinivasan
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, USA
PLoS Genet 4:e1000217. 2008..or function might be regulated by the methylation of histone H3 lysine 4 by the trithorax group proteins ASH1 and TRX...
- Systematic identification of yeast cell cycle transcription factors using multiple data sourcesWei Sheng Wu
Department of Evolution and Ecology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 9:522. 2008..To understand the cell cycle process, it is important to identify the cell cycle transcription factors (TFs) that regulate the expression of cell cycle-regulated genes...
- Proneural gene ash1 promotes amacrine cell production in the chick retinaWeiming Mao
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Dev Neurobiol 69:88-104. 2009..To better understand how neural diversity is achieved during retinal neurogenesis, we examined the function of ash1, a proneural bHLH gene expressed in progenitor cells throughout retinal neurogenesis...
- Nuclear shuttling of She2p couples ASH1 mRNA localization to its translational repression by recruiting Loc1p and Puf6pZhifa Shen
Departement de Biochimie, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Mol Biol Cell 20:2265-75. 2009..In yeast, the nucleocytoplasmic shuttling protein She2 binds the ASH1 mRNA and targets it for localization at the bud tip by recruiting the She3p-Myo4p complex...
- Mechanism of mRNA transport by Myo4pPeter Takizawa; Fiscal Year: 2009..To address these questions, this proposal will analyze how Myo4p transports ASH1 mRNA to the bud tip in S. cerevisiae...
- The switch between epigenetically silenced and active chromatin statesVincenzo Pirrotta; Fiscal Year: 2013..Trithorax and ASH1 proteins are necessary to switch genes to an epigenetic active state and to antagonize Polycomb silencing...
- Cell-fate determinants of yeast pseudohyphal growthBeverly Errede; Fiscal Year: 2005..While the mechanism responsible for asymmetric localization of Ash1 has been elucidated, very little is known about the daughter-specific program that it mediates to establish the PH ..
- An E3 Ubiquitin Ligase Complex That Regulates C. elegans Developmental TimingAdam Antebi; Fiscal Year: 2009..3. characterize putative targets of DRE-1, including the trithorax protein LIN- 59/ASH1. lin-59 mutant defects, genetic interactions, expression pattern and regulation will be determined...
- A Molecular Basis for Neuroendocrine CarcinogenesisH Grimes; Fiscal Year: 2009..oncoprotein and the basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor human achaete and scute homolog- 1 (ASH1) are modifiers of SCLC because they control neuroendocrine differentiation of lung epithelium...
- RNA LOCALIZATION IN S.CEREVISIAEROY LONG; Fiscal Year: 2004..The yeast S. cerevisiae serves as a model system for studying the asymmetric segregation of mRNA. ASH1 mRNA is localized to the distal end of daughter cells during anaphase of the cell cycle, resulting in the exclusive ..
- REGULATION OF GENE EXPRESSION DURING ORGANOGENESISHelen Chamberlin; Fiscal Year: 2004..elegans. A third aim is to functionally characterize this second gene to determine whether its product shares in vivo functions with EGL-38, or whether it regulates lin-48 and cdh-3 expression in other organs. ..
- Molecular-genetic analysis of the Drosophila CNS midlineSCOTT WHEELER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through the combination of descriptive and functional-genetic studies I will begin to dissect the molecular and genetic pathways that control the development and differentiation midline neurons. ..
- ONCOGENES IN CANCER ETIOLOGY AND PROGRESSIONCarlo Croce; Fiscal Year: 2004..8) Functional and biochemical characterization of the product of the recently cloned human gene homologous to Drosophila ash1.