Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ANK3
Description: ankyrin 3
Alias: ANKYRIN-G, MRT37, ankyrin-3, ankyrin 3, node of Ranvier (ankyrin G)
Publications200 found, 100 shown here
- AnkyrinG. A new ankyrin gene with neural-specific isoforms localized at the axonal initial segment and node of RanvierE Kordeli
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
J Biol Chem 270:2352-9. 1995..The neural-specific ankyrinG polypeptides are candidates to participate in maintenance/targeting of ion channels and cell adhesion molecules to nodes of Ranvier and axonal initial segments...
- Lateral membrane biogenesis in human bronchial epithelial cells requires 190-kDa ankyrin-GKrishnakumar Kizhatil
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Departments of Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Neuroscience, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 279:16706-14. 2004..Moreover, analysis of rat 190-kDa ankyrin G/ankyrin B chimeras shows that all three domains of 190-kDa ankyrin-G are required for preservation of the ..
- Ankyrin-G and beta2-spectrin collaborate in biogenesis of lateral membrane of human bronchial epithelial cellsKrishnakumar Kizhatil
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Departments of Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 282:2029-37. 2007..These results demonstrate that ankyrin-G and beta(2)-spectrin are functional partners in biogenesis of the lateral membrane of epithelial cells...
- Ankyrin-G is a molecular partner of E-cadherin in epithelial cells and early embryosKrishnakumar Kizhatil
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 282:26552-61. 2007..Biol. Chem. 282, 2029-2037 ). Together with the current findings, these data suggest a ankyrin/spectrin-based mechanism for coordinating membrane assembly with extracellular interactions of E-cadherin at sites of cell-cell contact...
- Voltage-gated Nav channel targeting in the heart requires an ankyrin-G dependent cellular pathwayJohn S Lowe
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Cell Biol 180:173-86. 2008..These data are the first report of a cellular pathway required for Na(v) channel trafficking in the heart and suggest that ankyrin-G is critical for cardiac depolarization and Na(v) channel organization in multiple excitable tissues...
- Collaborative genome-wide association analysis supports a role for ANK3 and CACNA1C in bipolar disorderManuel A R Ferreira
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nat Genet 40:1056-8. 2008..1 x 10(-9)) in ANK3 (ankyrin G)...
- Two variants in Ankyrin 3 (ANK3) are independent genetic risk factors for bipolar disorderT G Schulze
Unit on the Genetic Basis of Mood and Anxiety Disorders, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 3719, USA
Mol Psychiatry 14:487-91. 2009Two recent reports have highlighted ANK3 as a susceptibility gene for bipolar disorder (BD)...
- Gene variants associated with schizophrenia in a Norwegian genome-wide study are replicated in a large European cohortLavinia Athanasiu
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, P O 1130, Blindern, N 0318 Oslo, Norway
J Psychiatr Res 44:748-53. 2010..The markers are located in PLAA, ACSM1 and ANK3, respectively...
- Genome-wide association study of bipolar I disorder in the Han Chinese populationM T M Lee
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Mol Psychiatry 16:548-56. 2011..15 × 10(-5)), One SNP nearby the rs1938526 SNP of ANK3 gene and another SNP nearby the SNP rs11720452 in chromosome 3 reported in previous GWA studies also showed ..
- Evidence for cis-acting regulation of ANK3 and CACNA1C gene expressionEmma M Quinn
Neuropsychiatric Genetics Research Group, Department of Psychiatry and Institute of Molecular Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Bipolar Disord 12:440-5. 2010Genome-wide association studies (GWAS) have identified Ankyrin-G (ANK3) and the alpha-1C subunit of the L-type voltage-gated calcium channel (CACNA1C) as susceptibility genes for bipolar disorder...
- Most genome-wide significant susceptibility loci for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder reported to date cross-traditional diagnostic boundariesHywel J Williams
MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Department of Psychological Medicine and Neurology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Hum Mol Genet 20:387-91. 2011..For BD, the strongly supported variants are in the vicinity of ankyrin 3, node of Ranvier (ANK3) and polybromo-1 (PBRM1)...
- Association of ANK3 with bipolar disorder confirmed in East AsiaAtsushi Takata
Laboratory for Molecular Dynamics of Mental Disorders, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Saitama, Japan
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 156:312-5. 2011Results of genome-wide association studies (GWASs) for bipolar disorder (BD) have indicated ANK3 as one of the most promising candidates for a susceptibility gene...
- The CACNA1C and ANK3 risk alleles impact on affective personality traits and startle reactivity but not on cognition or gating in healthy malesPanos Roussos
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece
Bipolar Disord 13:250-9. 2011The rs10994336 ANK3 and rs1006737 CACNA1C genetic variants have recently been identified as the most consistent, genome-wide significant risk factors for bipolar disorder, while the CACNA1C variant has also been associated with ..
- Is Ankyrin a genetic risk factor for psychiatric phenotypes?Alejandro Gella
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universitat Internacional de Catalunya, Josep Trueta s n, Sant Cugat del Vallès 08195, Spain
BMC Psychiatry 11:103. 2011Genome wide association studies reported two single nucleotide polymorphisms in ANK3 (rs9804190 and rs10994336) as independent genetic risk factors for bipolar disorder...
- ANK3, CACNA1C and ZNF804A gene variants in bipolar disorders and psychosis subphenotypeTristram A P Lett
Neurogenetics Section, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Canada
World J Biol Psychiatry 12:392-7. 2011OBJECTIVES. The ANK3, CACNA1C and ZNF804A genes have been implicated in both bipolar disorders (BPD) and schizophrenia (SCZ)...
- Association analysis of ANK3 gene variants in nordic bipolar disorder and schizophrenia case-control samplesMartin Tesli
Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 156:969-74. 2011Genetic variants in ankyrin 3 (ANK3) have recently been shown to be associated with bipolar disorder (BD)...
- Genome-wide association study meta-analysis of European and Asian-ancestry samples identifies three novel loci associated with bipolar disorderD T Chen
Human Genetics Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Psychiatry 18:195-205. 2013..4 × 10(-11) level, with no heterogeneity. Supportive evidence for prior association findings near ANK3 and a locus on chromosome 3p21.1 was also observed...
- Sequencing of the ANKYRIN 3 gene (ANK3) encoding ankyrin G in bipolar disorder reveals a non-conservative amino acid change in a short isoform of ankyrin GAlexandra Dedman
Molecular Psychiatry Laboratory, Mental Health Sciences Unit, University College London, London, UK
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 159:328-35. 2012..ss469104599) which causes a non-conservative amino acid change at position 794 in the shorter isoforms of the ankyrin G protein...
- ANK3 and CACNA1C--missing genetic link for bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder in two German case-control samplesStefan Kloiber
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstrasse 2 10, Munich, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 46:973-9. 2012Recent genome-wide association studies (GWAS) and metaanalyses revealed genetic associations for ANK3 (ankyrin 3) and CACNA1C (alpha 1C subunit of the L-type voltage gated calcium channel) with bipolar disorder (BPD)...
- Cis-acting regulation of brain-specific ANK3 gene expression by a genetic variant associated with bipolar disorderE H Rueckert
Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit, Center for Human Genetics, Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Mol Psychiatry 18:922-9. 2013Several genome-wide association studies for bipolar disorder (BD) have found a strong association of the Ankyrin 3 (ANK3) gene...
- The cognitive impact of the ANK3 risk variant for bipolar disorder: initial evidence of selectivity to signal detection during sustained attentionGaia Ruberto
Section of Neurobiology of Psychosis, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e16671. 2011..a strong association with BD in a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) (rs10994336) within ANK3, which codes for Ankyrin 3. This protein is involved in facilitating the propagation of action potentials by regulating the assembly of ..
- Molecular and genetic evidence for abnormalities in the nodes of Ranvier in schizophreniaPanos Roussos
Department of Psychiatry, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 69:7-15. 2012....
- The ankyrin-B C-terminal domain determines activity of ankyrin-B/G chimeras in rescue of abnormal inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate and ryanodine receptor distribution in ankyrin-B (-/-) neonatal cardiomyocytesPeter J Mohler
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 277:10599-607. 2002..C-terminal domains are the most divergent between ankyrin isoforms and are candidates to encode the signal(s) that enable ankyrins to selectively target proteins to diverse cellular sites...
- Ankyrin-G regulates inactivation gating of the neuronal sodium channel, Nav1.6Emi Shirahata
Department of Pediatrics, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
J Neurophysiol 96:1347-57. 2006..6. These results suggest that ankyrin-G regulates neuronal excitability not only through clustering Nav channels but also by directly modifying their channel gating...
- Na,K-ATPase transport from endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi requires the Golgi spectrin-ankyrin G119 skeleton in Madin Darby canine kidney cellsP Devarajan
Department of Pediatrics, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:10711-6. 1997....
- An ankyrin-based mechanism for functional organization of dystrophin and dystroglycanGai Ayalon
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Departments of Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Cell 135:1189-200. 2008..Dynactin-4 and a subset of microtubules disappear from sarcolemmal sites in ankyrin-B-depleted muscle. Ankyrin-B thus is an adaptor required for sarcolemmal localization of dystrophin, as well as dynactin-4...
- Na,K-ATPase in skeletal muscle: two populations of beta-spectrin control localization in the sarcolemma but not partitioning between the sarcolemma and the transverse tubulesM W Williams
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Cell Sci 114:751-62. 2001..Both alpha subunits of the Na,K-ATPase colocalize with beta-spectrin and ankyrin 3 in costameres, structures at the sarcolemma that lie over Z and M-lines and in longitudinal strands...
- Modulation of p53 activity by IkappaBalpha: evidence suggesting a common phylogeny between NF-kappaB and p53 transcription factorsDavid H Dreyfus
Division of Basic Sciences, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical Research Center, Denver, CO 80262 USA
BMC Immunol 6:12. 2005..Interactions between the two proteins, both direct and indirect, have been noted previously and the two proteins play central roles in the control of proliferation and apoptosis...
- Long-term increasing co-localization of SCN8A and ankyrin-G in rat hippocampal cornu ammonis 1 after pilocarpine induced status epilepticusZiyi Chen
Department of Neurology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, 58th Zhongshan 2nd Road, Guangzhou, PR China
Brain Res 1270:112-20. 2009..001; F(day)=45.310, P<0.001). The data revealed that both SCN8A and ankyrin-G increased significantly in the CA1 subfield of the rat hippocampus 60 days following pilocarpine induced status epilepticus and co-localized with each other...
- A cardiac arrhythmia syndrome caused by loss of ankyrin-B functionPeter J Mohler
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9137-42. 2004....
- Identification of Ank(G107), a muscle-specific ankyrin-G isoformClaire Gagelin
Biologie Cellulaire des Membranes, Departement de Biologie Cellulaire, Institut Jacques Monod, UMR 7592, CNRS Universités Paris 6 et Paris 7, 2 place Jussieu, 75251 Paris Cedex 05, France
J Biol Chem 277:12978-87. 2002We previously showed that alternatively spliced ankyrins-G, the Ank3 gene products, are expressed in skeletal muscle and localize to the postsynaptic folds and to the sarcoplasmic reticulum...
- Polarized distribution of ion channels within microdomains of the axon initial segmentAudra Van Wart
Graduate Program in Neuroscience, Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5230, USA
J Comp Neurol 500:339-52. 2007..This precise arrangement of ion channels within the axon initial segment is likely an important determinant of the firing properties of ganglion cells and other mammalian neurons...
- Cardiac ankyrins in health and diseaseSeyed M Hashemi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 47:203-9. 2009..More broadly, these findings illustrate the importance of local membrane organization for normal cardiac physiology...
- Protein kinase CK2 contributes to the organization of sodium channels in axonal membranes by regulating their interactions with ankyrin GAline Brechet
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité Mixte de Recherche 641, Marseille F 13916, France
J Cell Biol 183:1101-14. 2008..precise accumulation of sodium channels at the axonal initial segment (AIS) and in the nodes of Ranvier through ankyrin G scaffolding. We found that the ankyrin-binding motif of Na(v)1...
- Functional interaction between Rh proteins and the spectrin-based skeleton in erythroid and epithelial cellsV Nicolas
INSERM, U665, F 75015 Paris, France
Transfus Clin Biol 13:23-8. 2006..Similarly, binding to ankyrin G is required for cell surface expression of the non-erythroid member of the Rh protein family, RhBG, at the ..
- Polarized axonal surface expression of neuronal KCNQ channels is mediated by multiple signals in the KCNQ2 and KCNQ3 C-terminal domainsHee Jung Chung
Departments of Physiology and Biochemistry, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8870-5. 2006..We further show that several BFNC mutations of KCNQ2 and KCNQ3 disrupt surface expression or polarized surface distribution of KCNQ channels, thereby revealing impaired targeting of KCNQ channels to axonal surfaces as a BFNC etiology...
- The C-terminal domain of ßIV-spectrin is crucial for KCNQ2 aggregation and excitability at nodes of RanvierJérôme J Devaux
Département Signalisation Neuronale, CRN2M, UMR 6231, CNRS, Faculte de Medecine Secteur Nord, Université de la Méditerranée Université Paul Cézanne, CS80011, Bd Pierre Dramard, 13344 Marseille Cedex 15, France
J Physiol 588:4719-30. 2010..These findings demonstrate that spectrin cytoskeleton finely regulates ion channel distribution and implicates KCNQ2/3 subunits in axonal excitability and in myokymia aetiology...
- Specific role of the truncated betaIV-spectrin Sigma6 in sodium channel clustering at axon initial segments and nodes of ranvierYoko Uemoto
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
J Biol Chem 282:6548-55. 2007..By contrast, the levels of ankyrin G and voltage-gated sodium channels at these sites, which are significantly reduced in Sigma1Sigma6(-/-) mice, ..
- Axo-glial interactions regulate the localization of axonal paranodal proteinsJ L Dupree
Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Cell Biol 147:1145-52. 1999....
- Ion channel clustering at the axon initial segment and node of Ranvier evolved sequentially in early chordatesAlexis S Hill
PENN Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
PLoS Genet 4:e1000317. 2008..The early chordate refinements in action potential mechanisms we have elucidated appear essential to the complex neural signaling, active behavior, and evolutionary success of vertebrates...
- Genome-wide association study of bipolar disorder in European American and African American individualsE N Smith
Scripps Genomic Medicine, Scripps Translational Science Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Mol Psychiatry 14:755-63. 2009..whether we could provide support for three regions previously associated with BD, and we showed that the ANK3 region replicates in our sample, along with some support for C15Orf53; other evidence implicates BD candidate genes ..
- Molecular alterations underlie nodal and paranodal degeneration in type 1 diabetic neuropathy and are prevented by C-peptideAnders A F Sima
Wayne State University, Department of Pathology, 540 E Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Diabetes 53:1556-63. 2004..These data describe for the first time the progressive molecular aberrations underlying nodal and paranodal degenerative changes in type 1 diabetic neuropathy and demonstrate that they are preventable by insulinomimetic C-peptide...
- Schwannomin-interacting protein-1 isoform IQCJ-SCHIP-1 is a late component of nodes of Ranvier and axon initial segmentsPierre Marie Martin
Unité Mixte de Recherche S 839, INSERM, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Institut du Fer a Moulin, Paris 75005, France
J Neurosci 28:6111-7. 2008..Na(v)), NF186 (neurofascin 186), NrCAM (neuron glia-related cell adhesion molecule), and cytoskeleton linkers ankyrin G (AnkG) and betaIV-spectrin...
- The Krüppel-like factor 9 (KLF9) network in HEC-1-A endometrial carcinoma cells suggests the carcinogenic potential of dys-regulated KLF9 expressionFrank A Simmen
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, and the Arkansas Children s Nutrition Center, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 6:41. 2008..This cell line provides a unique model for identifying KLF9 downstream gene targets and signaling pathways...
- Genetics of psychosis; insights from views across the genomeMichael C O'Donovan
Department of Psychological Medicine and Neurology, MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, School of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF23 6BQ, UK
Hum Genet 126:3-12. 2009..locus in schizophrenia and for the calcium channel, voltage-dependent, L type, alpha 1C subunit (CACNA1C) and ankyrin 3, node of Ranvier (ANK3) loci in bipolar disorder...
- AnkyrinG is associated with the postsynaptic membrane and the sarcoplasmic reticulum in the skeletal muscle fiberE Kordeli
Biologie Cellulaire des Membranes, Département de Biologie Supramoléculaire et Cellulaire, Institut Jacques Monod, CNRS Universités Paris 6 et Paris 7, 75251, Paris Cédex O5, France
J Cell Sci 111:2197-207. 1998..Ank1 and Ank3 transcripts were previously detected in skeletal muscle by northern blot analysis...
- Molecular domains of myelinated axonsE Peles
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, The Weizmann Institute of Science, 76100, Rehovot, Israel
Curr Opin Neurobiol 10:558-65. 2000..Recently, distinct protein complexes of cell adhesion molecules, Na(+) channels and ankyrin G at the nodes, Caspr and contactin in the paranodes, and K(+) channels and Caspr2 in the juxtaparanodal region ..
- No blocking effects of the pentapeptide QYNAD on Na+ channel subtypes expressed in Xenopus oocytes or action potential conduction in isolated rat sural nerveStefan Quasthoff
Department of Neurology, Karl Franzens University, Auenbruggerplatz 22, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Neurosci Lett 352:93-6. 2003..However, in a protein library search the amino acid sequence of QYNAD was found to be related to ankyrin-G, which plays a role in Na(+) channel clustering in the node of Ranvier...
- Molecular evolution of ankyrin: gain of function in vertebrates by acquisition of an obscurin/titin-binding-related domainAlexander A Hopitzan
Institut Jacques Monod CNRS Universités Paris VI et VII, Paris, France
Mol Biol Evol 23:46-55. 2006..has identified one Caenorhabditis elegans (unc-44), two Drosophila (Dank1, Dank2), and three mammalian (Ank1, Ank2, Ank3) genes...
- Voltage-gated ion channels in the axon initial segment of human cortical pyramidal cells and their relationship with chandelier cellsMaria Carmen Inda
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Jose Antonio Novais 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2920-5. 2006..Na+ channels distributed along the length of the AIS together with the associated proteins spectrin betaIV and ankyrin G. In contrast, Kv1...
- Vaccinia virus K1L protein supports viral replication in human and rabbit cells through a cell-type-specific set of its ankyrin repeat residues that are distinct from its binding site for ACAP2Xiangzhi Meng
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Univ of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Virology 353:220-33. 2006..here that a large portion of the K1L protein, except ankyrin repeat 1 (ANK1) and C-terminal halves of ANK2 and ANK3, can be deleted or substituted with an unrelated ANK with no adverse effect on VV replication in human HeLa cells...
- Genome-wide association and meta-analysis of bipolar disorder in individuals of European ancestryLaura J Scott
Department of Biostatistics and Center for Statistical Genetics, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7501-6. 2009..In addition, we replicated the reported ANK3 association results for SNP rs10994336 in the nonoverlapping GSK sample (OR = 1.37, P = 0.042)...
- Heat opens axon initial segment sodium channels: a febrile seizure mechanism?Evan A Thomas
Howard Florey Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
Ann Neurol 66:219-26. 2009..We measured the temperature sensitivity of the brain sodium channel, Na(V)1.2, to determine whether febrile temperatures might produce a direct increase in neuronal excitability...
- Cultured subventricular zone progenitor cells transduced with neurogenin-2 become mature glutamatergic neurons and integrate into the dentate gyrusXia Chen
Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e31547. 2012..Moreover, some neurons extended dendrites into the molecular layer, grew axons containing Ankyrin G+ axonal initial segments, and projected into the CA3 region, thus resembling mature DG granule neurons...
- Active vaccination with ankyrin G reduces β-amyloid pathology in APP transgenic miceA C Santuccione
Division of Psychiatry Research, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Psychiatry 18:358-68. 2013..proteins, we found in AD patients high serum levels of antibodies against the neuronal cytoskeletal protein ankyrin G (ankG); these correlated with slower rates of cognitive decline...
- Ankyrin-B structurally defines terminal microdomains of peripheral somatosensory axonsMaren Engelhardt
Center for Biomedicine and Medical Technology Mannheim, Research Division Neuroanatomy, Medical Faculty Mannheim, Heidelberg University, Ludolf Krehl Str 13 17, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Brain Struct Funct 218:1005-16. 2013..Instead, we propose that ankyrin-B serves as a major membrane organizer in mechanoreceptive and nociceptive terminals of the PNS. ..
- Developmental expression of Kv potassium channels at the axon initial segment of cultured hippocampal neuronsDiana Sanchez-Ponce
Department of Functional and Systems Neurobiology, Instituto Cajal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e48557. 2012..The accumulation of Kv1.2 and Kv2.2 subunits at the AIS was dependent on ankyrin G tethering, it was not affected by disruption of the actin cytoskeleton and it was resistant to detergent ..
- E-cadherin polarity is determined by a multifunction motif mediating lateral membrane retention through ankyrin-G and apical-lateral transcytosis through clathrinPaul M Jenkins
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 288:14018-31. 2013..Together, the combination of retention and editing function to ensure a high fidelity steady state localization of E-cadherin at the lateral membrane...
- Intracellular domain fragment of CD44 alters CD44 function in chondrocytesLiliana Mellor
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27834, USA
J Biol Chem 288:25838-50. 2013..The data suggest that release of the CD44 intracellular domain into the cytoplasm of cells such as chondrocytes exerts a competitive or dominant-negative effect on the function of full-length CD44. ..
- Polarization of membrane associated proteins in the choroid plexus epithelium from normal and slc4a10 knockout miceInga B Christensen
Department of Biomedicine, Faculty of Health, Aarhus University Aarhus, Denmark
Front Physiol 4:344. 2013..The observations allow the generation of new hypotheses on basic cell biological paradigms that can be tested experimentally in future studies...
- A genetic variant in the seed region of miR-4513 shows pleiotropic effects on lipid and glucose homeostasis, blood pressure, and coronary artery diseaseMohsen Ghanbari
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands Department of Genetics, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Hum Mutat 35:1524-31. 2014..to identify miR-4513 target genes that may mediate these associations and revealed five genes (PCSK1, BNC2, MTMR3, ANK3, and GOSR2) through which these effects might be taking place...
- Glial ankyrins facilitate paranodal axoglial junction assemblyKae Jiun Chang
Program in Developmental Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Neurosci 17:1673-81. 2014..Thus, glial ankyrins function as major scaffolds that facilitate early and efficient paranodal junction assembly in the developing CNS. ..
- Giant ankyrin-G: a critical innovation in vertebrate evolution of fast and integrated neuronal signalingPaul M Jenkins
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biochemistry
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112:957-64. 2015..to I-connectin/Titin and was acquired after the first round of whole-genome duplication by the ancestral ANK2/ANK3 gene in early vertebrates before development of myelin...
- Evidence of a structural and functional ammonium transporter RhBG·anion exchanger 1·ankyrin-G complex in kidney epithelial cellsSandrine Genetet
From INSERM U1134, 75739 Paris, France, the Université Paris Diderot, Sorbonne Paris Cité, UMR_S1134, 75739 Paris, France, the Institut National de la Transfusion Sanguine, 75739 Paris, France, and the Laboratoire d Excellence GR Ex, 75238 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 290:6925-36. 2015..This renal complex could participate in the regulation of acid-base homeostasis. ..
- Myelin loss and axonal ion channel adaptations associated with gray matter neuronal hyperexcitabilityMustafa S Hamada
Department of Axonal Signaling, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and
J Neurosci 35:7272-86. 2015..In contrast, while the AIS in demyelinated axons started more closely to the soma, ankyrin G, βIV-spectrin, and the ion channel expression were maintained...
- GABA/Glutamate synaptic pathways targeted by integrative genomic and electrophysiological explorations distinguish autism from intellectual disabilityF Bonnet-Brilhault
INSERM, U930, Tours, France
Mol Psychiatry 21:411-8. 2016..ASD patients from each family identified a second rare inherited genetic variant, affecting either the GLRB or the ANK3 genes encoding NLGN4X interacting proteins expressed in inhibitory or in excitatory synapses, respectively...
- Molecular neurobiological clues to the pathogenesis of bipolar disorderPaul J Harrison
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, United Kingdom Electronic address
Curr Opin Neurobiol 36:1-6. 2016..Recent genome-wide association studies have identified the first loci, implicating genes such as CACNA1C and ANK3. The genes highlight several pathways, notably calcium signalling, as being of importance...
- Human Neuroma-in-Continuity Contains Focal Deficits in MyelinationArie C van Vliet
From the Department of Neuroregeneration, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences ACvV, MRT, JV, MJAM, FDW and Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam JV, Amsterdam and Departments of Neurosurgery ACvV, MJAM, FDW, Neurology MRT, and Pathology SvD, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 74:901-11. 2015..e., FMDs contained significantly fewer clustered Na(v)1.6 channels and decreased Caspr and ankyrin G)...
- Ankyrin-3 as a molecular marker of early-life stress and vulnerability to psychiatric disordersA Luoni
Department of Pharmacological and Biomolecular Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Transl Psychiatry 6:e943. 2016..We identified Ankyrin-3 (Ank3), a scaffolding protein with a strong genetic association for psychiatric disorders, as a gene persistently ..
- Restriction of 480/270-kD ankyrin G to axon proximal segments requires multiple ankyrin G-specific domainsX Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Departments of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Cell Biol 142:1571-81. 1998..This complex behavior explains ability of ankyrinB and ankyrinG to sort to distinct sites in neurons and the fact that these ankyrins do not compensate for each other in ankyrin gene knockouts in mice...
- betaIV spectrin, a new spectrin localized at axon initial segments and nodes of ranvier in the central and peripheral nervous systemS Berghs
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
J Cell Biol 151:985-1002. 2000..Thus, we suggest that betaIVSigma1 spectrin interacts with ankyrin(G) 480/270-kD and participates in the clustering of voltage-gated Na(+) channels and cell-adhesion molecules at initial segments and nodes of Ranvier...
- Skin-specific expression of ank-3(93), a novel ankyrin-3 splice variantB Peters
Institute of Genetics and Bonner Forum Biomedizin, University of Bonn, Römerstr 164, 53117 Bonn, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 116:216-23. 2001..Our data on ankyrin-3(93), which lacks a part of the spectrin-binding domain that regulates the affinity to spectrin, suggests a new function for this member of the ankyrin family...
- Ankyrin-based cardiac arrhythmias: a new class of channelopathies due to loss of cellular targetingPeter J Mohler
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 20:189-93. 2005..The focus is on ankyrins, a family of proteins that localize diverse membrane ion channels and transporters, and recent evidence that mutations affecting functions of ankyrins result in cardiac arrhythmia...
- Ankyrins and human disease: what the electrophysiologist should knowPeter J Mohler
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17:1153-9. 2006..Moreover, these data define an exciting new field of cardiac "channelopathies" due to defects in proper channel targeting/localization...
- Sodium channel Scn1b null mice exhibit prolonged QT and RR intervalsLuis F Lopez-Santiago
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, 1301 MSRB III, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0632, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 43:636-47. 2007..Together, these results suggest that beta1 is critical for normal cardiac excitability and loss of beta1 may be associated with a long QT phenotype...
- Anti-GD1a antibodies activate complement and calpain to injure distal motor nodes of Ranvier in miceRhona McGonigal
University of Glasgow Division of Clinical Neurosciences, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, Room B330, 120 University Place, Glasgow G12 8TA, UK
Brain 133:1944-60. 2010..Complete loss of nodal protein staining, including voltage-gated sodium channels and ankyrin G, occurs and is completely protected by both complement and calpain inhibition, although the latter provides no ..
- Cross-disorder analysis of bipolar risk genes: further evidence of DGKH as a risk gene for bipolar disorder, but also unipolar depression and adult ADHDHeike Weber
Department of Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, Psychiatric Neurobiology and Bipolar Disorder Program, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:2076-85. 2011..To address these issues, we genotyped SNPs in ANK3, CACNA1C, CMTM8, DGKH, EGFR, and NPAS3, which were significantly associated with BPD in previous GWAS, in a sample ..
- A pathway for the control of anoikis sensitivity by E-cadherin and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitionSanjeev Kumar
Department of Biochemistry and Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:4036-51. 2011..P14ARF sensitized cells to anoikis; conversely, the TBX2/NRAGE complex protected cells against anoikis by downregulating this gene. This represents a novel pathway for the regulation of anoikis by EMT and E-cadherin...
- Cysteine 70 of ankyrin-G is S-palmitoylated and is required for function of ankyrin-G in membrane domain assemblyMeng He
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 287:43995-4005. 2012....
- FGF14 localization and organization of the axon initial segmentMaolei Xiao
Department of Developmental Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 56:393-403. 2013The axon initial segment (AIS) is highly enriched in the structural proteins ankyrin G and βIV-spectrin, the pore-forming (α) subunits of voltage-gated sodium (Nav) channels, and functional Nav channels, and is critical for the ..
- Ankyrin-G directly binds to kinesin-1 to transport voltage-gated Na+ channels into axonsJoshua Barry
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology Graduate Program, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Dev Cell 28:117-31. 2014..2, channels in mouse cerebellum. These results indicate that AnkG functions as an adaptor to link Nav channels to KIF5 during axonal transport before anchoring them to the AIS and nodes of Ranvier. ..
- Long-term maintenance of Na+ channels at nodes of Ranvier depends on glial contact mediated by gliomedin and NrCAMVeronique Amor
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel W M Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 and Department of Neuroscience and Physiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016
J Neurosci 34:5089-98. 2014..orderly manner, starting with the disappearance of neurofascin 186, followed by the loss of Na(+) channels and ankyrin G, and then βIV spectrin, a sequence that reflects the assembly of nodes during development...
- Ankyrin-G palmitoylation and βII-spectrin binding to phosphoinositide lipids drive lateral membrane assemblyMeng He
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Department of Cell Biology, Department of Biochemistry, and Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710
J Cell Biol 206:273-88. 2014....
- Neuroinformatic analyses of common and distinct genetic components associated with major neuropsychiatric disordersAmit Lotan
Department of Adult Psychiatry and the Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center Jerusalem, Israel
Front Neurosci 8:331. 2014..The most widely shared subset of genes-common to five of six disorders-included ANK3, AS3MT, CACNA1C, CACNB2, CNNM2, CSMD1, DPCR1, ITIH3, NT5C2, PPP1R11, SYNE1, TCF4, TENM4, TRIM26, and ZNRD1...
- Molecular mechanism of regulation of villus cell Na-K-ATPase in the chronically inflamed mammalian small intestineProsenjit Saha
Department of Clinical and Translational Sciences, Joan C Edwards School of Medicine, Marshall University, Huntington, WV 25701, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1848:702-11. 2015..Therefore, altered localization of Na-K-ATPase as a result of transcriptional down-regulation of ankyrin-G mediates the down-regulation of Na-K-ATPase activity during chronic intestinal inflammation...
- Exchange Protein Directly Activated by cAMP (EPAC) Regulates Neuronal Polarization through Rap1BPablo Muñoz-Llancao
Laboratory of Cell and Neuronal Dynamics, Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Universidad de Chile, 7800024 Santiago, Chile, Department of Molecular Pharmacology, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 35:11315-29. 2015..Moreover, 8-pCPT-treated neurons expressed ankyrin G and other markers of mature axons such as synaptophysin and axonal accumulation of vGLUT1...
- [Change of Ankyrin G Promoter Activity Following Treatment with Sodium Valproate at Different Concentrations]Cui Liu
Key Laboratory of Human Diseases Animal Models, State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Key Laboratory of Human Diseases Comparative Medicine of Ministry of Health, Institute of Medical Laboratory Animal Science, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100021, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 37:508-13. 2015To investigate whether sodium valproate (VPA) directly regulates the activity of Ankyrin G(AnkG) promoter in vitro.
- Improved Methods for Fluorescence Microscopy Detection of Macromolecules at the Axon Initial SegmentMusaad A Alshammari
Graduate Studies Abroad Program, King Saud UniversityRiyadh, Saudi Arabia Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Texas Medical BranchGalveston, TX, USA
Front Cell Neurosci 10:5. 2016....
- Cell adhesion molecule L1 contributes to neuronal excitability regulating the function of voltage-gated Na+ channelsPierluigi Valente
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of Genova, Viale Benedetto XV, 3, Genova 16132, Italy
J Cell Sci 129:1878-91. 2016..leads to impairment of action potential initiation, most likely due to the loss of the interaction of L1 with ankyrin G that produces the delocalization of Na(+) channels at the axonal initial segment...
- Mood, stress and longevity: convergence on ANK3S Rangaraju
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Mol Psychiatry 21:1037-49. 2016..The top gene identified was ANK3. To validate our findings, we conducted genetic and gene-expression studies, in C. elegans and in humans...
- Effects of ANK3 variation on gray and white matter in bipolar disorderE T C Lippard
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Mol Psychiatry . 2016The single-nucleotide polymorphism rs9804190 in the Ankyrin G (ANK3) gene has been reported in genome-wide association studies to be associated with bipolar disorder (BD)...
- The impact of early environmental interventions on structural plasticity of the axon initial segment in neocortexMasoumeh Nozari
Neuroscience Research Center, Neuropharmacology Institute, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Dev Psychobiol 59:39-47. 2017..We used Ankyrin G immunoreactivity to mark the AIS of cortical neurons in two sub-regions of frontal cortex (frontal association ..
- Association analysis of ANK3 gene variants with schizophrenia in a northern Chinese Han populationXiaojuan Guo
Xi an Mental Health Center, Xi an, Shaanxi 710061, China
Oncotarget 7:85888-85894. 2016..of 499 schizophrenia patients and 500 controls to investigate the effect of variant genotypes of 13 SNPs in ANK3 on schizophrenia risk...
- Fine genetic map of mouse chromosome 10 around the polycystic kidney disease gene, jcpk, and ankyrin 3E C Bryda
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics, Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany 12208, USA
Genomics 35:425-30. 1996..2 cM distal to D10Mit115 and 0.8 cM proximal to D10Mit173. In addition, five genes, Cdc2a, Col6a1, Col6a2, Bcr, and Ank3 were mapped in both this jcpk intercross and a (BALB/c x CAST/Ei)F1 x BALB/c backcross...
- Ankyrin-G coordinates assembly of the spectrin-based membrane skeleton, voltage-gated sodium channels, and L1 CAMs at Purkinje neuron initial segmentsS M Jenkins
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Cell Biol 155:739-46. 2001....
- Essential role of oligodendrocytes in the formation and maintenance of central nervous system nodal regionsC Mathis
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, INSERM CNRS ULP, BP 163, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, C U de Strasbourg, France
Development 128:4881-90. 2001..in the functional segmentation of the axolemma in vivo, the distribution of nodal (Na(+) channels, ankyrin G), paranodal (paranodin/contactin-associated-protein) and juxtaparanodal (Kv1...
- Neurofascin interactions play a critical role in clustering sodium channels, ankyrin G and beta IV spectrin at peripheral nodes of RanvierDarshan Koticha
W M Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience and Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Rutgers University, 604 Allison Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854 8082, USA
Dev Biol 293:1-12. 2006..NF-Fc significantly inhibited nodal clustering of Na+ channels, ankyrin G, and betaIV spectrin, and modestly reduced Caspr clustering at paranodal junctions; it did not significantly ..
- Cardiac ankyrins: Essential components for development and maintenance of excitable membrane domains in heartShane R Cunha
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Cardiovasc Res 71:22-9. 2006....
- Postnatal development of synaptic structure proteins in pyramidal neuron axon initial segments in monkey prefrontal cortexDianne A Cruz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Comp Neurol 514:353-67. 2009....
- Alterations in intrinsic membrane properties and the axon initial segment in a mouse model of Angelman syndromeHanoch Kaphzan
Center for Neural Science, New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Neurosci 31:17637-48. 2011..These findings are the first evidence for pathology of intrinsic membrane properties and AIS-specific changes in AS, a neurodevelopmental disorder associated with autism...
- Peter J Mohler; Fiscal Year: 2016..abstract_text> ..
- James Salzer; Fiscal Year: 2016..channels, accessory beta subunits, cell adhesion molecules (CAMs), and a cytoskeletal complex that includes ankyrin G to which channels and CAMs bind. Our recent studies indicate that the node assembles from distinct sources...
- THOMAS JEFFREY HUND; Fiscal Year: 2016..5 and cell excitability, and identify novel mechanisms for arrhythmias in both congenital and acquired heart disease. ..
- Genomics-Guided Characterization of iPS Cells from Common Mental IllnessesStephen J Haggarty; Fiscal Year: 2012..Similarly, we will use iPS cells from individuals with bipolar disorder associated ankyrin-G (ANK3) haplotypes to determine the effect on basic ion channel physiology, molecular organization of the axon initial ..
- Genomics-Guided Characterization of iPS Cells from Common Mental IllnessesSTEPHEN JOHN HAGGARTY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Similarly, we will use iPS cells from individuals with bipolar disorder associated ankyrin-G (ANK3) haplotypes to determine the effect on basic ion channel physiology, molecular organization of the axon initial ..
- Tracey Petryshen; Fiscal Year: 2014..b>Ankyrin 3 (ANK3) is among the strongest and most replicated genes identified by multiple GWAS of BD...
- Mario Delmar; Fiscal Year: 2015..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanism and function of Kv channel targetingChen Gu; Fiscal Year: 2013..determine whether: (Aim 1) polarized targeting of Kv channels is critical for action potential firing;(Aim 2) ankyrin G at the axon initial segment functions as a conditional barrier for Kv3 splice variants;(Aim 3) protein ..
- FGF14 IN THE REGULATION OF PURKINJE NEURON EXCITABILITY AND SCA27David M Ornitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Fgf14-/-mice) anti-FGF14 specific antibody, we find that FGF14 co- localizes with Nav channel 1 subunits at the ankyrin G-rich axon initial segments (AIS) in cerebellar Purkinje neurons, These observations led us to hypothesize that ..
- Hemolytic Anemia: ModelsLUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2006..There are three known Ank genes, Ank1 (erythroid), Ank2 (brain), and Ank3 (general) with overlapping tissue expression but cell type specific localization and binding preferences...
- Chay Titus Kuo; Fiscal Year: 2016..We plan to explore this observation by testing the following three hypotheses: 1) the adapter protein Ankyrin 3 plays a critical role in sustaining adult SVZ neurogenesis;2) SVZ ependymal organization serves as specialized ..
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMKhadar Abdi; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Determine the intracellular compartment of mis-targeted IP3-receptor in cardiomyocytes transfected with an ankyrin-B construct harboring a mutation causing loss of interdomain interaction. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CORTICAL CIRCUITRY AND COGNITION IN SCHIZOPHRENIADavid Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our extensive interactions enable us to conduct a translational research program in schizophrenia that effectively transfers information from the clinic to the laboratory and back to the clinic in a truly bidirectional fashion. ..
- Synaptic Transmission, Plasticity and Integration in the Subthalamic NucleusMark D Bevan; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- SCHIZOPHRENIA AND PREFRONTAL CORTICAL CIRCUITRYDavid Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CONTROL OF INITIATION OF DNA REPLICATION IN LUNG CANCEREdward Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results will allow identification of links between control of initiation of replication and imposition of checkpoint controls that are critical in preventing progression to cancer...
- Proteins Mediating Interaction of HIV-1 and JCV in CNSEdward M Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2011..Results will help elucidate pathways of activation of JCV in the brain and will help target particular molecular interactions for therapy. ..
- TRANSCRIPTOME OF METASTATIC PROSTATE CANCERGennadi Glinsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Subsequently the expression profile of these protein products will be studied in human prostate tumor samples by immunofluorescence analysis and immunohistochemistry to better correlate gene expression changes with phenotype. ..