Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ALDH2
Description: aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 family (mitochondrial)
Alias: ALDH-E2, ALDHI, ALDM, aldehyde dehydrogenase, mitochondrial, ALDH class 2, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 2, liver mitochondrial ALDH, nucleus-encoded mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2
Publications249 found, 100 shown here
- Alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase gene polymorphisms and oropharyngolaryngeal, esophageal and stomach cancers in Japanese alcoholicsA Yokoyama
National Institute on Alcoholism, Kurihama National Hospital, 5 3 1 Nobi, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
Carcinogenesis 22:433-9. 2001Alcohol dehydrogenase-2 (ADH2) and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) gene polymorphisms play roles in ethanol metabolism, drinking behavior and esophageal carcinogenesis in Japanese; however, the combined influence of ADH2 and ALDH2 ..
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies identifies common variants associated with blood pressure variation in east AsiansNorihiro Kato
Department of Gene Diagnostics and Therapeutics, Research Institute, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Nat Genet 43:531-8. 2011..We also confirmed seven loci previously identified in populations of European descent. Moreover, at 12q24.13 near ALDH2, we observed strong association signals (P = 7.9 × 10(-31) and P = 1...
- Site-directed mutagenesis of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 suggests three distinct pathways of nitroglycerin biotransformationM Verena Wenzl
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Universitatsplatz 2, A 8010, Austria
Mol Pharmacol 80:258-66. 2011..underlying reduction of nitroglycerin (GTN) to nitric oxide (NO) by mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), we generated mutants of the enzyme lacking the cysteines adjacent to reactive Cys302 (C301S and C303S), the ..
- Genetic variation in aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 and the effect of alcohol consumption on cholesterol levelsYasuyuki Nakamura
First Department of Internal Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta tsukinowa cho, Otsu City, Shiga 520 2192, Japan
Atherosclerosis 164:171-7. 2002..We examined the interaction between the aldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (ALDH2), alcohol intake, and HDL levels in 826 men and 1295 women in a rural town in Japan...
- Coenzyme isomerization is integral to catalysis in aldehyde dehydrogenaseSamantha J Perez-Miller
Program in Medical Biophysics and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Biochemistry 42:7100-9. 2003..Our data suggest that the presence of magnesium may lead to selection of particular conformations and speed isomerization of the reduced cofactor following hydride transfer...
- Alcohol dehydrogenase-2 and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 genotypes, alcohol drinking and the risk for stomach cancer in Chinese malesHai Xia Cao
Division of Epidemiology, Jiangsu Provincial Institute of Cancer Research, Jiangsu Province, China
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 11:1073-7. 2010To investigate the relationship among alcohol dehydrogenase-2 (ADH2) and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) genetic polymorphisms, alcohol consumption, and the susceptibility of stomach cancer in Chinese males.
- Genetic polymorphisms of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, alcohol use and risk of colorectal adenomas: Self-Defense Forces Health StudyMaho Hirose
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Cancer Sci 96:513-8. 2005..This study investigated the relationship of functional MTHFR C677T and ALDH2 polymorphisms to colorectal adenomas with reference to alcohol consumption in a case-control study of male ..
- Influence of alcohol consumption and gene polymorphisms of ADH2 and ALDH2 on hepatocellular carcinoma in a Japanese populationTatsuhiko Sakamoto
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, Saga, Japan
Int J Cancer 118:1501-7. 2006..study to examine whether polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase 2 (ADH2) and aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) modified the HCC risk depending on the amount of alcohol intake...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 and head and neck cancer: a meta-analysis implementing a Mendelian randomization approachStefania Boccia
Genetic Epidemiology and Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Hygiene, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, L go F Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:248-54. 2009..Individuals homozygous for the 2 variant allele of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) are unable to metabolize acetaldehyde, which prevents them from alcohol drinking, whereas 1 2 have 6-fold higher ..
- Comparison between self-reported facial flushing after alcohol consumption and ALDH2 Glu504Lys polymorphism for risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancer in a Japanese populationIsao Oze
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya, Japan
Cancer Sci 101:1875-80. 2010..rs671, Glu504Lys) was known to be associated with upper aerodigestive tract (UAT) cancer due to modulation of ALDH2 enzyme activity...
- Genetic variation in alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH1A, ADH1B, ADH1C, ADH7) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), alcohol consumption and gastric cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohortEric J Duell
Unit of Nutrition, Environment and Cancer, Epidemiology Research Program, Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO IDIBELL, Avda Gran Via 199 203, 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Carcinogenesis 33:361-7. 2012..loci (alcohol dehydrogenase, ADH1 gene cluster: ADH1A, ADH1B and ADH1C; ADH7 and aldehyde dehydrogenase, ALDH2), alcohol intake and GC risk...
- Genetic polymorphisms of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases, and drinking, smoking and diet in Japanese men with oral and pharyngeal squamous cell carcinomaTakahiro Asakage
Department of Otorlaryngology, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Carcinogenesis 28:865-74. 2007The genetic polymorphisms of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2), alcohol dehydrogenase-1B (ADH1B, previously called ADH2), and ADH1C (previously called ADH3) affect the metabolism of alcohol...
- Lifestyle habits and genetic susceptibility and the risk of esophageal cancer in the Thai populationPleumjit Boonyaphiphat
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hatyai, Songkhla, Thailand
Cancer Lett 186:193-9. 2002The association of lifestyle habits and polymorphism of ADH2 and ALDH2 genes with the risk of esophageal cancer in Thai population was investigated in a hospital-based case-control study: 202 cases and 261 controls...
- Genetic polymorphisms of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase, dopamine and serotonin transporters in familial and non-familial alcoholismIhn Geun Choi
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Hallym University Han Gang Sacred Heart Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 16:123-8. 2006..healthy men were tested for the genetic polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase 2 (ADH2), aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2), serotonin transporter (5-HTT) and dopamine transporter (DAT1)...
- Folate, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and vitamin B2 intake, genetic polymorphisms of related enzymes, and risk of colorectal cancer in a hospital-based case-control study in JapanTetsuya Otani
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, Tsukjii, Tokyo
Nutr Cancer 53:42-50. 2005..Four genetic polymorphisms-MTHFR C677T and A1298C, MTRR A66G, and ALDH2 Glu487Lys-were determined using blood samples...
- Dietary selenium intake, aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 and X-ray repair cross-complementing 1 genetic polymorphisms, and the risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinomaLin Cai
Department of Epidemiology, Fujian Medical University, Fuzhou, Fujian, China
Cancer 106:2345-54. 2006..To the authors' knowledge, few studies have been conducted to date regarding dietary selenium and the potential gene-nutrient interactions with single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in different pathways on the risk of esophageal cancer...
- ALDH2 1510 G/A (Glu487Lys) polymorphism interaction with age in head and neck squamous cell carcinomaTomoko Hashimoto
Department of Otolaryngology, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, Ube, Yamaguchi, Japan
Tumour Biol 27:334-8. 2006Recent molecular epidemiological studies have revealed a possible association of the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) 1510 G/A (Glu487Lys) polymorphism with various cancers including head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)...
- Alcohol ingestion and colorectal neoplasia: a meta-analysis based on a Mendelian randomization approachJ Wang
Department of Emergency, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China
Colorectal Dis 13:e71-8. 2011..A Mendelian randomization approach provides an unbiased estimate of the association using the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) variant as a surrogate of alcohol exposure.
- Multi-susceptibility genes associated with the risk of the development stages of esophageal squamous cell cancer in Feicheng CountyQing Da Li
The Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Remodeling and Function Research, Chinese Ministry of Education and Chinese Ministry of Health, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, 250012, China
BMC Gastroenterol 11:74. 2011..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the association of multi-genotype polymorphisms with the stepwise progression of esophageal squamous cell cancer (ESCC) and the possibility of predicting those at higher risk...
- Folate, alcohol, and aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 polymorphism and the risk of oral and pharyngeal cancer in JapaneseKeitaro Matsuo
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicene, Nagoya, Japan
Eur J Cancer Prev 21:193-8. 2012..Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) gene polymorphism is known to interact with alcohol consumption...
- Meta-analysis of the aldehyde dehydrogenases-2 (ALDH2) Glu487Lys polymorphism and colorectal cancer riskHua Zhao
School of Public Health, Central South University, Changsha, China Department of General Surgery, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, China
PLoS ONE 9:e88656. 2014A number of studies have explored the association of the aldehyde dehydrogenases-2 (ALDH2) Glu487Lys polymorphism and risk of colorectal cancer; however, the results are inconsistent...
- Molecular abnormality and cDNA cloning of human aldehyde dehydrogenasesA Yoshida
Alcohol 2:103-6. 1985Usual human livers contain two major ALDH isozymes, i.e., cytosolic ALDH1 and mitochondrial ALDH2, while approximately 50% of Orientals are "atypical" and have only the ALDH1 and are missing the ALDH2...
- Cloning of cDNAs for human aldehyde dehydrogenases 1 and 2L C Hsu
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 82:3771-5. 1985..cDNA clones encoding human cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) were isolated from a human liver cDNA library constructed in phage lambda gt11...
- The aldehyde dehydrogenase ALDH2*2 allele exhibits dominance over ALDH2*1 in transduced HeLa cellsQ Xiao
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5121, USA
J Clin Invest 96:2180-6. 1995Individuals heterozygous or homozygous for the variant aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) allele (ALDH2*2), which encodes a protein differing only at residue 487 from the normal protein, have decreased ALDH2 activity in liver extracts and ..
- Allele association studies with SSR and SNP markers at known physical distances within a 1 Mb region embracing the ALDH2 locus in the Japanese, demonstrates linkage disequilibrium extending up to 400 kbH G Koch
SGDP Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, UK
Hum Mol Genet 9:2993-9. 2000..and two single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the region flanking the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 locus, ALDH2, in populations of Japanese alcoholics and controls...
- No alcoholism-protection effects of ADH1B*2 allele in antisocial alcoholics among Han Chinese in TaiwanRu Band Lu
Department of Psychiatry and Institute of Behavioral Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, R O C
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:2101-7. 2005suggested that the genetic variation at ADH1B and ALDH2 influences the risk of alcoholism. The ADH1B*2 and ALDH2*2 alleles had been thought to be protective against alcoholism...
- Association of ADH and ALDH genes with alcohol dependence in the Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of alcohol dependence (IASPSAD) samplePo Hsiu Kuo
Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital 138, National Cheng Kung University, Sheng Li Road, Tainan 704, Taiwan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:785-95. 2008..The present study examined evidence for the association of alcohol metabolism genes with AD in the Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of alcohol dependence...
- Molecular abnormality of an inactive aldehyde dehydrogenase variant commonly found in OrientalsA Yoshida
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81:258-61. 1984..e., a cytosolic ALDH1 component and a mitochondrial ALDH2 component--whereas approximately equal to 50% of Orientals are "atypical" and have only the ALDH1 ..
- ADH1B*1, ADH1C*2, DRD2 (-141C Ins), and 5-HTTLPR are associated with alcoholism in Mexican American men living in Los AngelesTamiko Konishi
Department of Psychiatry, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1145-52. 2004..The genes selected include alcohol metabolizing genes and neurotransmitter genes, which have been shown in the literature to be associated with alcoholism in other ethnic groups...
- Diplotype trend regression analysis of the ADH gene cluster and the ALDH2 gene: multiple significant associations with alcohol dependenceXingguang Luo
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
Am J Hum Genet 78:973-87. 2006..within the ADH gene cluster (including the ADH1A, ADH1B, ADH1C, ADH5, ADH6, and ADH7 genes), 4 markers within the ALDH2 gene, and 38 unlinked ancestry-informative markers in a case-control sample of 801 individuals...
- Effects of variation at the ALDH2 locus on alcohol metabolism, sensitivity, consumption, and dependence in EuropeansPeter A Dickson
Genetic Epidemiology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:1093-100. 2006The low-activity variant of the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) gene found in East Asian populations leads to the alcohol flush reaction and reduces alcohol consumption and risk of alcohol dependence (AD)...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 genotype in type 1 diabetes mellitusYoshihiko Suzuki
Saiseikai Central Hospital, 1 4 17 Mita, Minato ku, Tokyo, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 60:139-41. 2003
- Relationship between genetic polymorphisms of alcohol-metabolizing enzymes and changes in risk factors for coronary heart disease associated with alcohol consumptionYoshiaki Hashimoto
Departments of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, University of Tokyo Hospital, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Clin Chem 48:1043-8. 2002....
- Effects of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 genotype on cardiovascular and endocrine responses to alcohol in young Japanese subjectsFusae T Nishimura
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, 1 13 5, Fukuura, Kanazawa, Yokohama, Kanagawa 236 0004, Japan
Auton Neurosci 102:60-70. 2002The present study was designed to investigate the effects of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) genotype on cardiovascular and endocrine responses to alcohol ingestion in young, healthy Japanese subjects...
- Association of the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 promoter polymorphism with alcohol consumption and reactions in an American Jewish populationMonika Fischer
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine and the Richard Roudebush Veteran s Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:1654-9. 2007Reduction in activity of the mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) enzyme due to genetic deficiency causes reactions related to alcohol consumption and lowers the risk of alcoholism...
- Bioactivation of nitroglycerin by purified mitochondrial and cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenasesMatteo Beretta
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 283:17873-80. 2008..of nitroglycerin (GTN) to 1,2-glycerol dinitrate (GDN) and nitrite by mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) is essentially involved in GTN bioactivation resulting in cyclic GMP-mediated vascular relaxation...
- Chinese alcoholic patients with esophageal cancer are genetically different from alcoholics with acute pancreatitis and liver cirrhosisY C Chao
Department of Internal Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Gastroenterol 95:2958-64. 2000..The aim of this study was to investigate the differences among Chinese alcoholic patients with esophageal cancer, acute pancreatitis, and liver cirrhosis by studying the genetic polymorphisms of ADH2, ADH3, ALDH2, and P4502E1.
- Association between aldehyde dehydrogenase gene polymorphisms and the phenomenon of field cancerization in patients with head and neck cancerManabu Muto
Division of Digestive Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwanoha 6 5 1, Kashiwa 277 8577, Japan
Carcinogenesis 23:1759-65. 2002..of the alcohol metabolizing enzymes, alcohol dehydrogenase type 3 (ADH3) and aldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (ALDH2). We also investigated acetaldehyde concentrations in the breath of 52 of the 78 patients...
- Role of alcohol and genetic polymorphisms of CYP2E1 and ALDH2 in breast cancer developmentJi Yeob Choi
Department of Preventive Medicine, General Surgery and Cancer Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 27 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 799, Korea
Pharmacogenetics 13:67-72. 2003We examined the potential association between alcohol consumption and genetic polymorphisms in the alcohol metabolizing enzymes, CYP2E1 and ALDH2, in individual susceptibility to breast cancer in a Korean study population.
- Genetic polymorphisms of tobacco- and alcohol-related metabolizing enzymes and the risk of hepatocellular carcinomaMasahiro Munaka
Nissan Motor Health Insurance Society, Nissan Motor Car Co Ltd, Kyushu Plant, Fukuoka, Japan
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 129:355-60. 2003..S-transferase ( GST) M1, GSTT1, GSTP1-1( GSTP1), cytochrome P450 2E1 ( CYP2E1) and aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 ( ALDH2) on the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) was observed in 78 Japanese patients with HCC and 138 non-cancer ..
- Genetic analysis of 22 candidate genes for hypertension in the Japanese populationNaoharu Iwai
National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Hypertens 22:1119-26. 2004..We performed association studies between 118 single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of 22 candidate genes (or gene family) and hypertension in a Japanese population...
- Relation of the CD36 gene A52C polymorphism to the risk of colorectal cancer among Japanese, with reference to with the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 gene Glu487Lys polymorphism and drinking habitKiyonori Kuriki
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya 464 8681 Japan
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 6:62-8. 2005..and oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) scavenger, while alcohol is metabolized by aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) and decreases transiently metabolism of dietary fat and serum lipids...
- Disruption of the coenzyme binding site and dimer interface revealed in the crystal structure of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase "Asian" variantHeather N Larson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Biol Chem 280:30550-6. 2005Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) is the major enzyme that oxidizes ethanol-derived acetaldehyde. A nearly inactive form of the enzyme, ALDH2*2, is found in about 40% of the East Asian population...
- A Glu487Lys polymorphism in the gene for mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 is associated with myocardial infarction in elderly Korean menSangmee Ahn Jo
Center for Biomedical Sciences, National Institute of Health, 194 Tongil ro, Eunpyeong gu, Seoul, South Korea
Clin Chim Acta 382:43-7. 2007A homozygous mutant (ALDH2*2/*2) of the gene for mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) at codon 487 was reported to be associated with myocardial infarction (MI) among Japanese men...
- Alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase polymorphisms and colorectal cancer: the Fukuoka Colorectal Cancer StudyGuang Yin
Department of Preventive Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Cancer Sci 98:1248-53. 2007..The present case-control study was conducted to determine the influence of ADH2, ADH3 and ALDH2 polymorphisms in Fukuoka, Japan, with 685 incident cases of histologically confirmed colorectal adenocarcinomas ..
- Influence of NQO1, ALDH2, and CYP2E1 genetic polymorphisms, smoking, and alcohol drinking on the risk of lung cancer in KoreansSang Yong Eom
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungbuk National University, 12 Gaeshin Dong, Heungdok gu, Cheongju, Chungbuk, 361 763, Republic of Korea
Cancer Causes Control 20:137-45. 2009We investigated the association of genetic polymorphisms of NQO1, ALDH2, CYP2E1, and the combined genotype of these genes on lung cancer risk, and also evaluated the association after stratification by cumulative smoking amounts and ..
- Polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase-2 and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 and esophageal cancer risk in Southeast Chinese malesJian Hua Ding
Division of Epidemiology, Jiangsu Provincial Institute of Cancer Research, 42 Baiziting, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:2395-400. 2009To evaluate the impact of alcohol dehydrogenase-2 (ADH2) and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) polymorphisms on esophageal cancer susceptibility in Southeast Chinese males.
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic basis for overcoming acetaldehyde-induced adverse reaction in Asian alcoholics, heterozygous for the variant ALDH2*2 gene alleleYi Chyan Chen
Department of Psychiatry, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:588-99. 2009It has been well documented that although homozygosity of the variant aldehyde dehydrogenese-2 (ALDH2) gene allele, ALDH2*2, in Asians almost fully protects against alcoholism, the heterozygosity only affords a partial protection to ..
- Interaction of the effects of alcohol drinking and polymorphisms in alcohol-metabolizing enzymes on the risk of female breast cancer in JapanTakakazu Kawase
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
J Epidemiol 19:244-50. 2009..have investigated genetic polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase-1B (ADH1B) His48Arg and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys, because of the strong impact these polymorphisms have on exposure to and accumulation of acetaldehyde...
- Absence of association on aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) polymorphism with Mongolian Alzheimer patientsSirui Zhou
Graduate School, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100730, China
Neurosci Lett 468:312-5. 2010..Furthermore, another gene mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) has also been proposed to be potentially associated with AD, based on its possible relations toward acetaldehyde ..
- Alda-1 is an agonist and chemical chaperone for the common human aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 variantSamantha Perez-Miller
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 17:159-64. 2010In approximately one billion people, a point mutation inactivates a key detoxifying enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2)...
- Genetic polymorphisms in folate and alcohol metabolism and breast cancer risk: a case-control study in Thai womenSuleeporn Sangrajrang
Research Division, National Cancer Institute, Rama VI Road, Ratchathewi, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand
Breast Cancer Res Treat 123:885-93. 2010..Twenty-seven single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the MTR, MTRR, MTHFR, TYMS, ADH1C, ALDH2, GSTP1, NAT1, NAT2, CYP2E1 DRD2, DRD3, and SLC6A4 were genotyped...
- Association of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 gene polymorphism with pancreatic cancer but not colon cancerKyoko Miyasaka
Department of Clinical Physiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Geriatr Gerontol Int 10:S120-6. 2010..carcinogen, generated during alcohol metabolism is eliminated by liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2)...
- The association of alcohol and alcohol metabolizing gene variants with diabetes and coronary heart disease risk factors in a white populationLise Lotte N Husemoen
Research Centre for Prevention and Health, Glostrup, Denmark
PLoS ONE 5:e11735. 2010..The underlying mechanisms are not clear. The aim was to examine the association between alcohol intake and diabetes and intermediate CHD risk factors in relation to selected ADH and ALDH gene variants...
- A genome-wide association study of hypertension-related phenotypes in a Japanese populationYumiko Hiura
Department of Genomic Medicine, Research Institute, National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Japan
Circ J 74:2353-9. 2010..A GWAS of hypertension-related phenotypes in a Japanese population was conducted in the current study...
- Association between alcohol intake and risk for gastric cancer with regard to ALDH2 genotype in the Korean populationCheol Min Shin
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoungnam, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
Int J Epidemiol 40:1047-55. 2011The relationship between alcohol intake and the risk for gastric cancer is not fully understood. The association between alcohol consumption and the risk for gastric cancer was investigated in the Korean population with the ALDH2 genotype.
- ADH1B and ALDH2 polymorphisms and their associations with increased risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in the Korean populationYong Bae Ji
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, Seongdong Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Oral Oncol 47:583-7. 2011..We genotyped ADH1B +3170A>G (rs1229984) and ALDH2 +1951G>A (rs671) SNPs in 225 Korean SCCHN patients and 301 healthy controls by single base extension and TaqMan ..
- Genome-wide association analyses of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Chinese identify multiple susceptibility loci and gene-environment interactionsChen Wu
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Nat Genet 44:1090-7. 2012..54×10(-7) to PG×E=3.23×10(-2)). We confirmed the known association of the ALDH2 locus on 12q24 to ESCC, and a joint analysis showed that drinkers with both of the ADH1B and ALDH2 risk alleles ..
- Alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase gene polymorphisms, alcohol intake and the risk of colorectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition studyP Ferrari
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC WHO, Lyon, France
Eur J Clin Nutr 66:1303-8. 2012....
- ALDH2 rs671 Polymorphism and coronary heart disease risk among Asian populations: a meta-analysis and meta-regressionQi Wang
Department of Cardiology, the Fourth Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, People s Republic of China
DNA Cell Biol 32:393-9. 2013Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) is the principal enzyme involved in alcohol metabolism in humans...
- ALDH2 and ADH1 genetic polymorphisms may contribute to the risk of gastric cancer: a meta-analysisHe Ling Wang
Department of General Surgery, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, P R China
PLoS ONE 9:e88779. 2014We conducted a meta-analysis of case-control studies to determine whether ALDH2, ADH1 and ADH2 genetic polymorphisms contribute to the pathogenesis of gastric cancer.
- Alcohol, ALDH2, and esophageal cancer: a meta-analysis which illustrates the potentials and limitations of a Mendelian randomization approachSarah J Lewis
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2PR, United Kingdom
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1967-71. 2005..This can be illustrated by looking at the association between the ALDH2 polymorphism and esophageal cancer...
- A polymorphism of the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 gene is a risk factor for multiple lacunar infarcts in Japanese men: the Takahata StudyH Nagasawa
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
Eur J Neurol 14:428-34. 2007..of the present study was to examine the association between a polymorphism of the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) gene and lacunar infarcts of the brain...
- Impact of alcohol consumption with polymorphisms in alcohol-metabolizing enzymes on pancreatic cancer risk in JapaneseJunya Kanda
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, 1 1 Kanokoden, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, Japan
Cancer Sci 100:296-302. 2009..The impact of alcohol and polymorphisms in aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys, alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) 1B His48Arg, and ADH1C Arg272Gln on PC risk was examined with multivariate ..
- Strong interaction between the effects of alcohol consumption and smoking on oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma among individuals with ADH1B and/or ALDH2 risk allelesFumiaki Tanaka
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Gut 59:1457-64. 2010..Oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) is considered a difficult cancer to cure. The detection of environmental and genetic factors is important for prevention on an individual basis...
- The aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys polymorphism interacts with alcohol drinking in the risk of stomach cancerKeitaro Matsuo
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Carcinogenesis 34:1510-5. 2013The impact of alcohol on the risk of stomach cancer is controversial. Although aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys (rs671) polymorphism has a strong effect on acetaldehyde metabolism, little is known about its impact on stomach ..
- Association of genetic polymorphisms in ADH and ALDH2 with risk of coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction: a meta-analysisHongguang Han
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, General Hospital of Shenyang Military Region, Shenyang 110840, China
Gene 526:134-41. 2013..Meta-analysis showed that mutant genotypes (GA+AA) of the rs671 polymorphism in the ALDH2 gene were associated with increased risk of both CAD and MI (CAD: RR=1.20, 95%CI: 1.03-1.40, P=0.021; MI: RR=1...
- Structure of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase: the genetic component of ethanol aversionC G Steinmetz
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Structure 5:701-11. 1997..consumption and incidence of alcoholism is a naturally occurring variant of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2). This variant contains a glutamate to lysine substitution at position 487 (E487K)...
- The aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 gene is a risk factor for hypertension in Japanese but does not alter the sensitivity to pressor effects of alcohol: the Suita studyS Takagi
National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Japan
Hypertens Res 24:365-70. 2001..to alcohol, which is due to a genetic deficiency in an isoenzyme of aldehydede-hydrogenase with a low Km (ALDH2). It is possible that the effects of alcohol consumption on blood pressure differ according to the ALDH2 genotype...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 gene is a risk factor for myocardial infarction in Japanese menShuichi Takagi
Division of Cardiology National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Japan
Hypertens Res 25:677-81. 2002..missense mutation from glutamic acid (Glu) to lysine (Lys) at codon 487 in an isoenzyme of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) with a low Km...
- Protective association of genetic variation in alcohol dehydrogenase with alcohol dependence in Native American Mission IndiansTamara L Wall
Department of Neuropharmacology, Scripps Research Institute, San Diego, CA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:41-6. 2003Two alcohol dehydrogenase genes (ADH2 and ADH3 on chromosome 4) and one aldehyde dehydrogenase gene (ALDH2 on chromosome 12) exhibit functional polymorphisms...
- Contribution of aldehyde dehydrogenase to mitochondrial bioactivation of nitroglycerin: evidence for the activation of purified soluble guanylate cyclase through direct formation of nitric oxideAlexander Kollau
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Universitatsplatz 2, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Biochem J 385:769-77. 2005..Conversion of GTN into 1,2-GDN (1,2-glycerol dinitrate) and nitrite by mitochondrial ALDH2 (aldehyde dehydrogenase 2) may be an essential pathway of GTN bioactivation in blood vessels...
- Effect of -361 G/A polymorphism of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 gene on alcohol metabolism and its expression in human peripheral blood leukocytesFusae T Nishimura
Department of Hygiene, Kanazawa University School of Medicine and Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 13 1 Takara machi, Kanazawa 920 8640
Nihon Arukoru Yakubutsu Igakkai Zasshi 41:108-19. 2006The deficiency in activity of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2), commonly found in Asians, is due to a mutation at position 487 in exon 12, encoded by the ALDH2*2 allele, which is a crucial factor for deficient ability to acetaldehyde (..
- Genetic polymorphisms in alcohol metabolism, alcohol intake and the risk of stomach cancer in Warsaw, PolandFang Fang Zhang
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 76107, USA
Int J Cancer 121:2060-4. 2007..ADH1B (Ex9+5C>T, Ex3+23A>G, Ex3+58A>T and Ex9+77A>G), ADH1C (Ex8-56A>G and Ex6-14G>A) and ALDH2 (Ex1+82A>G), on levels of alcohol drinking and susceptibility of stomach cancer...
- Genetic polymorphisms of alcohol metabolising enzymes: their role in susceptibility to oesophageal cancerDong ping Li
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Clin Chem Lab Med 46:323-8. 2008..The role of polymorphisms in alcohol metabolising enzymes, alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) in predisposition of this population to oesophageal cancer is unknown...
- Alcohol intake and blood pressure: a systematic review implementing a Mendelian randomization approachLina Chen
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 5:e52. 2008..robust evidence on the nature of this association by use of a common polymorphism in aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) as a surrogate for measuring alcohol consumption. ALDH2 encodes a major enzyme involved in alcohol metabolism...
- Genetic polymorphisms in cytochrome P4502E1, alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases and the risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Gansu Chinese malesYan Mei Guo
Department of Clinical Medicine, Gansu College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Lanzhou 730000, Gansu Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:1444-9. 2008To evaluate the association between genetic polymorphisms in CYP2E1, ALDH2 and ADH1B and the risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) in a high risk area of Gansu Province, in Chinese males.
- Polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase 2 and aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 and colorectal cancer risk in Chinese malesChang Ming Gao
Division of Epidemiology, Jiangsu Provincial Institute of Cancer Research, 42 Baiziting, Nanjing, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:5078-83. 2008To evaluate the relationship between drinking and polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase 2 (ADH2) and/or aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) for risk of colorectal cancer (CRC) in Chinese males.
- Associations of ADH and ALDH2 gene variation with self report alcohol reactions, consumption and dependence: an integrated analysisStuart Macgregor
Genetic Epidemiology, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 18:580-93. 2009..The role of two genetic variants in ALDH2 and ADH1B in AD risk has been extensively investigated...
- Refined geographic distribution of the oriental ALDH2*504Lys (nee 487Lys) variantHui Li
Department of Genetics, School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8005, USA
Ann Hum Genet 73:335-45. 2009Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) is one of the most important enzymes in human alcohol metabolism...
- Functional variants in ADH1B and ALDH2 coupled with alcohol and smoking synergistically enhance esophageal cancer riskRi Cui
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Human Genome Center, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Gastroenterology 137:1768-75. 2009..Therefore, identification of epidemiologic factors that influence the development of ESCC would facilitate prevention and/or early detection of the disease...
- ALDH2 genetic polymorphism and the risk of type II diabetes mellitus in CAD patientsFeng Xu
The Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Remodeling and Function Research, Chinese Ministry of Education and Chinese Ministry of Public Health, Department of Emergency Medicine and Center of Chest Pain of Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China
Hypertens Res 33:49-55. 2010..In this study, we investigated the relationship between Glu504Lys polymorphism in the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) gene, a key enzyme of alcohol metabolism, and the risk of having T2DM in Chinese Han CAD ..
- Impact of smoking on lung cancer risk is stronger in those with the homozygous aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 null allele in a Japanese populationJi Young Park
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, 1 1 Kanokoden, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8618, Japan
Carcinogenesis 31:660-5. 2010..We conducted a case-control study to examine possible interaction between smoking and aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys polymorphism (rs671) on the risk of lung cancer in Japanese...
- A genome-wide association study of upper aerodigestive tract cancers conducted within the INHANCE consortiumJames D McKay
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon, France
PLoS Genet 7:e1001333. 2011..in an extended linkage disequilibrium region that contains multiple genes including the aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) gene...
- The combination of mitochondrial low enzyme-activity aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 allele and superoxide dismutase 2 genotypes increases the risk of hypertension in relation to alcohol consumptionTakehiro Nakagawa
Division of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Pharmacogenet Genomics 23:34-7. 2013A cooperative role of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) and superoxide dismutase 2 (SOD2) to maintain the vascular function has recently been demonstrated in nitrate tolerance...
- Genotypes for aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency and alcohol sensitivity. The inactive ALDH2(2) allele is dominantD W Crabb
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46223
J Clin Invest 83:314-6. 1989Many Orientals lack the mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) activity responsible for the oxidation of acetaldehyde produced during ethanol metabolism...
- The mutation in the mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) gene responsible for alcohol-induced flushing increases turnover of the enzyme tetramers in a dominant fashionQ Xiao
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5121, USA
J Clin Invest 98:2027-32. 1996Deficiency in mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), a tetrameric enzyme, results from inheriting one or two ALDH2*2 alleles...
- Gene-environment interaction between an aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) polymorphism and alcohol consumption for the risk of esophageal cancerK Matsuo
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center, 1 1 Kanokoden, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464 8681, Japan
Carcinogenesis 22:913-6. 2001Aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) degrades acetaldehyde metabolized from ethanol...
- Effects of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 genetic polymorphisms on metabolism of structurally different aldehydes in human liverRui Sheng Wang
Division of Health Effects Research, National Institute of Industrial Health, Nagao 6 21 1, Kawasaki 214 8585, Japan
Drug Metab Dispos 30:69-73. 2002..Of the 39 subjects, eight were heterozygotes of the wild (ALDH2*1) and mutant (ALDH2*2) alleles, and the others were homozygotes of the wild allele...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) genotype affects rectal cancer susceptibility due to alcohol consumptionKeitaro Matsuo
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya, Japan
J Epidemiol 12:70-6. 2002..The alcohol related enzyme encoding gene ALDH2 has polymorphism Glu487Lys, and 487Lys allele is closely linked with phenotypic loss of enzyme activity.
- Contribution of genetic polymorphisms in ethanol-metabolizing enzymes to problem drinking behavior in middle-aged Japanese menFang Sun
Department of Hygiene, Kanazawa Medical University, Uchinada, Ishikawa, Japan
Behav Genet 32:229-36. 2002Among ethanol-metabolizing enzymes, the ALDH2*2 allele, ADH2*2 allele, and c2 allele of the cytochrome P450-2E1 (CYP2E1) gene are unique to Orientals...
- Genetic polymorphisms of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases and glutathione S-transferase M1 and drinking, smoking, and diet in Japanese men with esophageal squamous cell carcinomaAkira Yokoyama
National Institute on Alcoholism, Kurihama National Hospital, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239 0841, Japan
Carcinogenesis 23:1851-9. 2002The genetic polymorphisms of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2), alcohol dehydrogenase-2 (ADH2), ADH3, and glutathione S-transferase M1 (GSTM1) influence the metabolism of alcohol and other carcinogens...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 genotypes, alcohol flushing symptoms and drinking patterns in Thai menSawitri Assanangkornchai
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hatyai, Thailand
Psychiatry Res 118:9-17. 2003The drinking behavior, alcohol-induced facial flushing and ALDH2 genotypes were determined in 283 Thai men comprising 85 who were alcohol-dependent, 62 hazardous/harmful drinkers and 136 non-drinkers or infrequent drinkers...
- The evolution and population genetics of the ALDH2 locus: random genetic drift, selection, and low levels of recombinationHiroki Oota
Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, PO Box 208005, New Haven, CT 06520 8005, USA
Ann Hum Genet 68:93-109. 2004The catalytic deficiency of human aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) is caused by a nucleotide substitution (G1510A; Glu487Lys) in exon 12 of the ALDH2 locus...
- Mitochondrial ALDH2 deficiency as an oxidative stressShigeo Ohta
Institute of Development and Aging Sciences, Nippon Medical School, Kosugi, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, 211 8533 Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1011:36-44. 2004Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) plays a major role in ethanol metabolism. It is involved in acetaldehyde detoxification. A polymorphism of the ALDH2 gene is specific to North-East Asians...
- Relationship between genetic polymorphisms of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma risk in malesChia Fang Wu
Graduate Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100, Shih Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:5103-8. 2005To investigate the association between the genetic polymorphisms of ADH2 and ALDH2, lifetime alcohol consumption and esophageal cancer risk in the Taiwanese men.
- Esophageal cancer risk by ALDH2 and ADH2 polymorphisms and alcohol consumption: exploration of gene-environment and gene-gene interactionsChun xia Yang
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, 1 1 Kanokoden, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 6:256-62. 2005Alcohol drinking is a major risk factor for esophageal cancer in Japan and its impact may be modulated by levels of ALDH2, ADH2 and CYP2E1, three representative alcohol-metabolizing enzymes which display genetic polymorphisms altering ..
- A gene-gene interaction between ALDH2 Glu487Lys and ADH2 His47Arg polymorphisms regarding the risk of colorectal cancer in JapanKeitaro Matsuo
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center, Nagoya, Japan
Carcinogenesis 27:1018-23. 2006..Genetic polymorphisms, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) Glu487Lys and alcohol dehydrogenase 2 (ADH2) His47Arg, which have a strong impact on alcohol metabolism, are ..
- Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys polymorphism contributes to the variation in efficacy of sublingual nitroglycerinYifeng Li
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
J Clin Invest 116:506-11. 2006..Recently, it was shown that mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) is responsible for formation of NO, the metabolite needed for GTN efficacy...
- Do alcohol-metabolizing enzyme gene polymorphisms increase the risk of alcoholism and alcoholic liver disease?Elias Zintzaras
Department of Biomathematics, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, Larissa, Greece
Hepatology 43:352-61. 2006..The present meta-analysis underscores significant associations of ADH2*1, ADH3*2, and ALDH2*1 alleles and the risk of alcoholism (OR = 1.89 [95% CI 1.56-2.28], 1.32 [95% CI 1.12-1.57], and 4.35 [95% CI 3...
- Alcohol dehydrogenase 2 His47Arg polymorphism influences drinking habit independently of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 Glu487Lys polymorphism: analysis of 2,299 Japanese subjectsKeitaro Matsuo
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, 1 1 Kanokoden, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1009-13. 2006..and physical reaction to one glass of beer were examined with regard to ADH2 and aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) polymorphism...
- Eliciting protective mechanisms against alcoholismEmanuel Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2010..A dominant negative allele of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) found in East Asians codes for an inactive ALDH2*2 that does not metabolize acetaldehyde efficiently...
- Role of Mitochondrial Aldehyde Dehydrogenases in Ethanol Metabolism and ToxicityVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mitochondrial ALDH2 and, to a lesser extent, cytosolic ALDH1A1 enzymes are known to play a major role in acetaldehyde detoxification...
- Activation and Inhibition of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 2Thomas D Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2013..fraction of the East Asian population exhibit reduced efficacy of GTN treatment due to the common polymorphism, ALDH2*2...
- ALCOHOL PHARMACOGENETICS IN MEXICAN AMERICANSYU JUI WAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..These include (1) extremely low allele frequency for both ALDH2*2 (aldehyde dehydrogenase) and ADH2*2 (alcohol dehydrogenase);(2) a relatively high rate of ADH3*2 and CYP2E1 c2 (..
- Daria Mochly-Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2016..In the past funding period, we found that activation of the mitochondrial enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, ALDH2, appears to be required and sufficient for ethanol-induced cardiac protection from ischemia...
- RESPONSE TO ALCOHOL IN ASIAN MEN AND WOMENTAMARA WALL; Fiscal Year: 2000..to both placebo and alcohol administration among men and women of Asian heritage with different ADH2, ADH3, and ALDH2 genotypes. This study will focus on various measures of reaction to alcohol and alcohol metabolism...
- Abdel A Abdel-Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2015..We will focus on myocardial catalase and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (mit-ALDH2) because E2 enhancement of their physiological activity confers cardioprotection and both enzymes regulate ..
- HUMAN ALCOHOL AND ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASESTing Kai Li; Fiscal Year: 1990..Finally, the formation and catalytic properties of the tetrameric human mitochondrial ALDH (ALDH2) formed from the mixing of active subunits (product of the ALDH2(1) allele) and the inactive subunits (product of ..
- HUMAN ALCOHOL & ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASESTing Kai Li; Fiscal Year: 1999..Finally, the formation and catalytic properties of the tetrameric human mitochondrial ALDH (ALDH2) formed from the mixing of active subunits (product of the ALDH2(1) allele) and the inactive subunits (product of ..
- HUMAN ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE & ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASEAkira Yoshida; Fiscal Year: 1993The Class I alcohol dehydrogenases (ADH) and the cytosolic and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenases (ALDHl and ALDH2) play major roles in ethanol and acetaldehyde oxidation...
- Metabolic Imaging of the Cardioprotective Effects of Alcohol and ALDH2 ActivatorsDaniel M Spielman; Fiscal Year: 2013..of ethanol proceeds through a direct preconditioning-like mechanism ultimately activating aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), the major mitochondrial enzyme for removing toxic aldehydes arising from oxidative stress...
- Real-Time Assessment of Alcohol Use Across ALDH2 GenotypesSusan E Luczak; Fiscal Year: 2010..assessment protocol that will make it possible to test the mechanistic pathway of the aldehyde dehydrogenase gene ALDH2. Two technologically advanced devices, a wrist transdermal alcohol sensor (TAS) device and a website that will be ..
- Combinatorial inhibitors of aldehyde dehydrogenaseELENI ANNI; Fiscal Year: 2005..to identify and characterize new potent and specific inhibitors of the high affinity mitochondrial ALDH isozyme 2 (ALDH2) as therapeutic agents for alcoholism...
- Histamine Receptor Norepinephrine in Cardiac DysfunctionRoberto Levi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The contribution of adenosine A2b/A3-receptors, protein kinase C5 (PKC5) and aldehyde dehydrogenase type-2 (ALDH2) to preconditioning-mediated anti-RAS effects will be studied in isolated guinea- pig and PKC5-/- mouse hearts ..
- BDADs for Male ContraceptionJohn K Amory; Fiscal Year: 2013..The disulfiram reaction is now known to be caused by the inhibition of the liver enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), normally involved in the metabolism of alcohol...
- Randy Strong; Fiscal Year: 2016..created two lines of mice, one with homozygous mutations in the two aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes, Aldh1a1 and Aldh2, that are known to be present in midbrain dopamine neurons, and the other a line of wild- type mice from their ..
- Wei Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2015..determine whether a novel PKC-[unreadable]-mediated molecular interaction, mitochondria aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), is involved in resistin- induced cellular dysfunction (SA2c)...
- Zhongping Lu; Fiscal Year: 2015..We have identified sereral npvel SIRT3 dpape^yjatipn targets, including niitpchpridrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2), apoptosisririducing factpli(AlF), ATP synthetase arsubunit (ATRa) and heat shock protein 10 (HSP10), which are ..
- Protein Modification by 3,4-DihydroxyphenylacetaldehydeJONATHAN DOORN; Fiscal Year: 2006..DOPAL), which is metabolized primarily to an acid via mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) but also to an alcohol by aldehyde reductase (ALR)...
- MECHANISMS OF ETHANOL-INDUCED CARDIAC PROTECTIONDaria Mochly Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the past funding period, we found that activation of the mitochondrial enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, ALDH2, appears to be required and sufficient for ethanol-induced cardiac protection from ischemia...
- Carbamathione, A Novel Disulfiram Metabolite for Cocaine DependenceMORRIS FAIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Inhibition of liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), the pharmacological basis for its use in alcoholism treatment, is due to S-methyl N, N-diethylthiolcarbamate ..
- CONTROLS FOR ASSOCIATION STUDIES OF ALCOHOLISMKenneth Kidd; Fiscal Year: 2009..The alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) cluster of genes and the aldehydedehydrogenase 2 locus. (ALDH2) are known to affect alcohol metabolism and the genetic susceptibility to alcoholism in some populations, ..
- Radhakrishna Rao; Fiscal Year: 2014..a cell culture model of the intestinal epithelium and human colonic biopsies we will determine that: 1) ADH1B and ALDH2 modulate ethanol-induced disruption of TJs and barrier function...
- Lopa Mishra; Fiscal Year: 2016..AIM 2. Examine whether mouse mutants [unreadable]2SP, [unreadable]2SP/Smad3 and Smad3 crossed with Aldh2 null mutant mice result in a progeny that show (a) enhanced susceptibility to spontaneous tumor development as ..
- Mechanisms of Neuroprotection by Astrocytes in Alcohol AbuseJames Haorah; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This proposal advocates the function of glial cell astrocytic acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) as the first line neuroprotective defense mechanisms in the brain from alcohol abuse...
- BRIAN CHRISTOPHER JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2014..Acetaldehyde is primarily cleared by aldehyde dehydrogenases, namely ALDH2, ALDH1B1, and ALDH1A1...
- Alcohol Effects on the Mitochondrial Genetic SystemDaniel F Bogenhagen; Fiscal Year: 2010..that the consequences of acute intoxication and of alcohol consumption by individuals with reduced acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 2 activity create especially severe damage to mitochondrial DNA that is not predictable based on low-dose ..
- Zhanxiang Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2014..Aldehydes can be detoxified primarily by ALDH in the liver, however, our studies showed that mitochondrial ALDH (ALDH2) was not up-regulated in the liver despite aldehyde accumulation after chronic alcohol exposure...
- Vasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our current models include: a) the conventlonal7\/c(/77af, Aldhlbl, Aldh2, Cat, Cyp2e1, Adhi and Gclm single knockouts, b) the Cat/Cyp2e1 double knockout, and c) the hepatocyte-specific ..
- Fine-mapping the risk loci for alcoholism in ADH gene cluster and ALDH2 geneXingguang Luo; Fiscal Year: 2010..objectives of this study include: (1) to identify the risk alleles for alcohol dependence at ADH gene cluster and ALDH2 gene;(2) to mathematically predict the diagnosis of alcohol dependence using a set of genetic markers;(3) to ..
- GENETIC MODELS TO STUDY ALCOHOL TOXICITYVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2003The long-term goal of this project is to understand the role of CYP2E1, ALDH2, and ALDH1 genes which encode alcohol-metabolizing enzymes, in alcohol-induced oxidative stress and toxicity...
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMMaria Santana; Fiscal Year: 2004..but their protective effects against alcohol abuse and dependence are thought to be subtler than those of ALDH2 variants and are poorly understood...
- ADH and ALDH2 Genes in Tanzanian PopulationsKenneth Kidd; Fiscal Year: 2007..An additional benefit of a functioning laboratory at HKMU is that it will allow laboratory training for student and junior researchers in molecular methodology that is not otherwise present. ..
- Effects of ethanol on AMP kinase signalingDavid Crabb; Fiscal Year: 2008..It may also shed light on the pathogenesis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alcohol abuse in a small rodent neuroAIDS modelJohnny He; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ETHANOL OXIDATION IN GENETICALLY MODIFIED CELLSDavid Crabb; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study should answer the question of how the presence of different isozymes of ADH modulates alcohol metabolic rates and intracellular acetaldehyde. ..
- REGULATION OF EXPRESSION OF ALDH2David Crabb; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from the Investigator's Abstract) The ALDH2 gene is of interest for alcoholism research because of the protection against alcoholism afforded by deficiency of this enzyme...
- Alcohol Research: Risk and Protection in Ethnic GroupsTAMARA WALL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Wall's Independent Scientist Award will provide her the opportunity to continue to engage in research activities on nearly a full-time basis, thus ensuring her continued development as a scientist and as a mentor. ..
- Alcohol Involvement in Asian American Men and WomenTamara L Wall; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., gene-environment interactions). The aldehyde dehydrogenase ALDH2 gene, to date, has the strongest and most consistent associations with alcohol dependence...
- ALDH2, ADH1B and Alcohol Expectancies in Asian AmericansCHRISTIAN HENDERSHOT; Fiscal Year: 2008..Polymorphisms in ALDH2 and ADH1B genotypes are demonstrated to influence alcohol sensitivity and drinking behavior in Asians, however, ..
- Role of Acetaldehyde in Alcoholic CardiomyopathyJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our long-term goal is to establish the toxic mechanism of acetaldehyde in the development of alcoholic cardiomyopathy so that prevention and treatment can be optimized [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IGF-1, Oxidative Stress and Cardiovascular AgingJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our long-term goal is to establish the causal link among IGF-1 deficiency, enhanced oxidative damage and ventricular dysfunction in the progression of cardiovascular aging so that hormonal or antioxidant therapy can be optimized...
- ADOLESCENT MARIJUANA USE IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Alcoholism risk and protective factors in TrinidadCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Study findings can be compared to similar studies being conducted in the US. We believe these studies will allow for the identification of risk and protective factors for alcoholism in these islands. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENETIC DISSECTION OF ALCOHOL/RETINOL METABOLIC PATHWAYSGregg Duester; Fiscal Year: 2002..3) Prepare and ALDH-I knockout mouse plus mice mutated for one or more ADHs and ALDH-I, then analyze their phenotype as above. ..
- Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Aldehyde DehydrogenaseTroy Wymore; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, by integrating these calculation results with those from sequence analysis and site-directed mutagenesis experiments, we intend to understand the molecular factors that influence all ALDHs. ..
- Multicentric Pooled Analysis of Second Primary CancerPaul Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., ultraviolet light); (ii) an investigation of rare cancer types (e.g., bone cancer or sarcomas); and (iii) an investigation of second primary cancers which may be increased due to treatment of a first primary cancer (e.g., leukemia). ..
- ALCOHOL DEPENDENCE--GENERAL POPULATION VALIDITYDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Structural Determinants of Glycogen InitiationThomas Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2006..4) Test the proposed roles for specific residues in the active site of glycogenin during catalysis and for the recognition of substrate and acceptor molecules. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC STUDIES OF ALCOHOL USE DISORDERSDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2002..If received, the ISA will enable Dr. Hasin to focus on her research, on developing new skills and knowledge, and contributing to an understanding of alcohol use disorders. ..
- PRISM--COMORBIDITY DIAGNOSIS FOR DRUG ABUSE TREATMENTDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2001..The study results will provide empirical evidence that is likely to be useful in formulating DSM-V. ..
- Air Pollution and Adverse Birth OutcomesBeate Ritz; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- RISK FACTORS FOR ALCOHOLISM IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..The identification of such variables may potentially be useful in the development of specific prevention and treatment programs for this population as well as other Native American tribes. ..
- International Lung Cancer Consortium: Pooled analysis o*Paul Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Retinoid Dehydrogenases Involved in Eye DevelopmentGREGG L DUESTER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Registry Study of Parkinsons Disease in DenmarkBeate R Ritz; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research cannot be performed in the US due to a lack of population PD registries that would provide access to such a large number of cases and valid methods for control recruitment from the general population. ..
- Alcohol and Behavioral Risks Throughout CollegeKim Fromme; Fiscal Year: 2009..Identification of factors that increase or decrease both alcohol use and behavioral risks during college will have significant implications for policy and prevention efforts on college campuses. ..
- Alcohol in Israel: Genetic and Environmental EffectsDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..ADH3 and promoters of ADH4 and ALDH2 will also be studied. Psychiatric comorbidity, religiosity and trauma will be assessed and controlled...
- Pilot for a Multicenter Case-Control Study of Pancreatic Cancer in a High Risk r*Paul Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- X-ray Structure of Human Aldehyde DehydrogenaseThomas Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2008..The overall goal of this proposal is to test our current hypotheses concerning the catalytic function of ALDH2 and the roles that specific residues play in these structure/function relationships...
- Neurobehavioral Consequences of Adolescent AlcoholCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..AIM 3: To investigate the neurochemical substrates underlying the lasting neurobehavioral consequences of adolescent ethanol exposure, with a focus on NMDA systems ..
- Reducing Unsafe Drinking in HIV Primary CareDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Childhood Precursors to Alcohol InvolvementSusan Luczak; Fiscal Year: 2008....