Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ALDH1A1
Description: aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 family member A1
Alias: ALDC, ALDH-E1, ALDH1, ALDH11, HEL-9, HEL-S-53e, HEL12, PUMB1, RALDH1, retinal dehydrogenase 1, ALDH class 1, ALHDII, RALDH 1, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 1, aldehyde dehydrogenase 1, soluble, aldehyde dehydrogenase, liver cytosolic, epididymis luminal protein 12, epididymis luminal protein 9, epididymis secretory sperm binding protein Li 53e, retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- ALDH1 is a marker of normal and malignant human mammary stem cells and a predictor of poor clinical outcomeChristophe Ginestier
Department of Internal Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:555-67. 2007..In a series of 577 breast carcinomas, expression of ALDH1 detected by immunostaining correlated with poor prognosis...
- Detection of down-regulated acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 in atopic dermatitis patients by two-dimensional electrophoresisYong Doo Park
Department of Dermatology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Exp Dermatol 16:130-4. 2007..b>Acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) was detected as being significantly down-regulated at the pH ranges of 6-9 and 4-7...
- Double-negative feedback loop between reprogramming factor LIN28 and microRNA let-7 regulates aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-positive cancer stem cellsXiaojun Yang
Center for Research on Early Detection and Cure of Ovarian Cancer, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cancer Res 70:9463-72. 2010A relatively rare aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1)-positive "stem cell-like" subpopulation of tumor cells has the unique ability to initiate and perpetuate tumor growth; moreover, it is highly resistant to chemotherapy and significantly ..
- EZH2 and ALDH-1 mark breast epithelium at risk for breast cancer developmentLakshmi P Kunju
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mod Pathol 24:786-93. 2011..049, respectively). Our study provides first evidence that EZH2 and epithelial and stromal ALDH-1 detection in benign breast biopsies may predict increased risk for breast cancer, with implications for breast cancer prevention...
- Cloning of cDNAs for human aldehyde dehydrogenases 1 and 2L C Hsu
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 82:3771-5. 1985Partial cDNA clones encoding human cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) were isolated from a human liver cDNA library constructed in phage lambda gt11...
- Identification of 3-deoxyglucosone dehydrogenase as aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1)Francois Collard
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, Avenue Hippocrate 75, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Biochimie 89:369-73. 2007..with the enzymatic activity in the last step indicated that it corresponded to aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1), an enzyme known to catalyze the oxidation of retinaldehyde to retinoic acid...
- Gene expression profiling of NF-1-associated and sporadic pilocytic astrocytoma identifies aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 family member L1 (ALDH1L1) as an underexpressed candidate biomarker in aggressive subtypesFausto J Rodriguez
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 67:1194-204. 2008..In summary, we have identified a molecular signature that distinguishes NF1-PA from S-PA and found that ALDH1L1 underexpression is associated with aggressive histology and/or biologic behavior...
- Expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) in endometrioid adenocarcinoma and its clinical implicationsNur Rahadiani
Department of Pathology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Cancer Sci 102:903-8. 2011Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) is expressed in stem/progenitor cells, including cancer-initiating cells (CIC) of various organs...
- Cloning and expression of the full-length cDNAS encoding human liver class 1 and class 2 aldehyde dehydrogenaseC F Zheng
Department of Biochemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1153
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 17:828-31. 1993..26 units/mg. The expressed mitochondrial isozyme could be recognized by antibodies raised against rat mitochondrial ALDH, whereas the cytosolic isozyme could be recognized by antibody raised against horse cytosolic ALDH...
- Evaluation of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 promoter polymorphisms identified in human populationsJohn P Spence
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1389-94. 2003Cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase, or ALDH1A1, functions in ethanol detoxification, metabolism of neurotransmitters, and synthesis of retinoic acid...
- ALDH1 mRNA: presence in human dopamine neurons and decreases in substantia nigra in Parkinson's disease and in the ventral tegmental area in schizophreniaDagmar Galter
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurobiol Dis 14:637-47. 2003..We investigated mRNA expression of the cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1), presumably involved in DA degradation, by in situ hybridization in DA neurons of human postmortem material...
- Inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase and retinoid signaling induces the expansion of human hematopoietic stem cellsJohn P Chute
Division of Cellular Therapy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:11707-12. 2006..Modulation of ALDH activity and retinoid signaling is a previously unrecognized and effective strategy to amplify human HSCs...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase discriminates the CD133 liver cancer stem cell populationsStephanie Ma
Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Mol Cancer Res 6:1146-53. 2008..ALDH, expressed along CD133, can more specifically characterize the tumorigenic liver CSC population...
- ALDH1 expression correlates with favorable prognosis in ovarian cancersBin Chang
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mod Pathol 22:817-23. 2009Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1), a detoxifying enzyme responsible for the oxidation of intracellular aldehydes, was shown to have a function in the early differentiation of stem cells, through its function in oxidizing retinol to ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 is a putative marker for cancer stem cells in head and neck squamous cancerYu Chih Chen
Institute of Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 385:307-13. 2009Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been considered to be a marker for cancer stem cells. However, the role of ALDH1 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) has yet to be determined...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase-expressing colon stem cells contribute to tumorigenesis in the transition from colitis to cancerJoseph E Carpentino
McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32609, USA
Cancer Res 69:8208-15. 2009..These data link colitis and cancer identifying potential tumor-initiating cells from colitic patients, suggesting that sphere and/or xenograft formation will be useful to survey colitic patients at risk of developing cancer...
- Prognostic impact of ALDH1 in breast cancer: a story of stem cells and tumor microenvironmentErika Resetkova
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 46202, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 123:97-108. 2010..In this study, we sought to examine the prognostic relevance of ALDH1, a putative cancer stem cell marker, by immunohistochemistry...
- ALDH1A1 is a marker for malignant prostate stem cells and predictor of prostate cancer patients' outcomeTing Li
Department of Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201 1192, USA
Lab Invest 90:234-44. 2010..Increased aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1) activity has been found in the stem cell populations of leukemia and some solid tumors...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 A1-positive cell population is enriched in tumor-initiating cells and associated with progression of bladder cancerYun Su
Department of Surgery, Zhongda Hospital, The School of Clinical Medicine, Southeast University, Nanjing, China
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:327-37. 2010Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 A1 (ALDH1A1) has recently been suggested as a marker for cancer stem or stem-like cancer cells of some human malignancies...
- In situ identification of putative cancer stem cells by multiplexing ALDH1, CD44, and cytokeratin identifies breast cancer patients with poor prognosisVeronique Neumeister
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8023, USA
Am J Pathol 176:2131-8. 2010..They are characterized by CD44 positivity, CD24 negativity, and/or ALDH1 positivity in flow cytometric studies...
- Distinct expression levels and patterns of stem cell marker, aldehyde dehydrogenase isoform 1 (ALDH1), in human epithelial cancersShan Deng
Center for Research on Early Detection and Cure of Ovarian Cancer, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10277. 2010Aldehyde dehydrogenase isoform 1 (ALDH1) has been proved useful for the identification of cancer stem cells...
- Prognostic impact of the expression of putative cancer stem cell markers CD133, CD166, CD44s, EpCAM, and ALDH1 in colorectal cancerA Lugli
Institute of Pathology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 103:382-90. 2010The aim of this study was to elucidate the prognostic impact of putative cancer stem cell markers CD133, CD166, CD44s, EpCAM, and aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1) in colorectal cancer.
- Targeting aldehyde dehydrogenase cancer stem cells in ovarian cancerCharles N Landen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:3186-99. 2010Aldehyde dehydrogenase-1A1 (ALDH1A1) expression characterizes a subpopulation of cells with tumor-initiating or cancer stem cell properties in several malignancies...
- Tumorigenic and metastatic activity of human thyroid cancer stem cellsMatilde Todaro
Department of Surgical and Oncological Sciences, Cellular and Molecular Pathophysiology Laboratory, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Cancer Res 70:8874-85. 2010..The identification of tumorigenic and metastagenic thyroid cancer cells may provide unprecedented preclinical tools for development and preclinical validation of novel targeted therapies...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity selects for lung adenocarcinoma stem cells dependent on notch signalingJames P Sullivan
Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Cancer Res 70:9937-48. 2010..Immunohistochemical staining of a large panel of primary non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) samples for ALDH1A1, ALDH3A1, and CD133 revealed a significant correlation between ALDH1A1 (but not ALDH3A1 or CD133) expression and ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 expression is a predictor of poor prognosis in node-positive breast cancers: a long-term follow-up studyTakako Yoshioka
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, Field of Oncology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
Histopathology 58:608-16. 2011Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been identified as a reliable marker of breast cancer stem cells. The aim was to determine the prognostic significance of ALDH1 expression in a long-term follow-up study.
- ALDH activity selectively defines an enhanced tumor-initiating cell population relative to CD133 expression in human pancreatic adenocarcinomaMichael P Kim
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20636. 2011..Understanding which pancreatic cancer cell populations possess tumor-initiating capabilities is critical to characterizing and understanding the biology of pancreatic CSCs towards therapeutic ends...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 expression predicts poor prognosis in triple-negative breast cancerYasuyo Ohi
Hakuaikai Sagara Hospital Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, Field of Oncology, Kagoshima University, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
Histopathology 59:776-80. 2011Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been identified as a reliable marker of breast cancer stem cells, and its clinical significance as a prognostic indicator of breast cancer has been reported by several investigators...
- Cancer stem cell marker ALDH1 expression is associated with lymph node metastasis and poor survival in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: a study from high incidence area of northern ChinaY Wang
Department of Radiation, General Hospital of Ningxia Medical University, Yinchuan, Ningxia, China
Dis Esophagus 25:560-5. 2012..Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been proposed as one of the possible candidates for a CSC marker...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity is a biomarker of primitive normal human mammary luminal cellsPeter Eirew
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Stem Cells 30:344-8. 2012..In contrast, ALDH1A1 is expressed at low levels in all mammary epithelial cells...
- Expression of ALDH1 in axillary lymph node metastases is a prognostic factor of poor clinical outcome in breast cancer patients with 1-3 lymph node metastasesTomohiro Nogami
Department of General Thoracic Surgery and Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Kita ku, Shikata cho, Okayama, 700 8558, Japan
Breast Cancer 21:58-65. 2014..On the other hand, it has been reported that the expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) in primary breast cancer is a powerful predictor of a poor clinical outcome, and that breast cancer stem cells ..
- Prognostic impact of the cancer stem cell related markers ALDH1 and EZH2 in triple negative and basal-like breast cancersMarina De Brot
Laboratory of Breast Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Pathology 44:303-12. 2012We assessed the expression of ALDH1 and EZH2, cancer stem cell (CSC) related markers, in triple negative and basal-like breast cancers, investigating their association with clinicopathological features and outcome.
- Gene expression profiles of prostate cancer stem cells isolated by aldehyde dehydrogenase activity assaySachiyo Nishida
Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Urol 188:294-9. 2012..We evaluated the aldehyde dehydrogenase activity of the human prostate cancer cell line 22Rv1 (ATCC®) with the ALDEFLUOR® assay and determined its potency as prostate cancer stem-like/cancer initiating cells...
- Stem cell markers aldehyde dehydrogenase type 1 and nestin expressions in renal cell cancerEmin Ozbek
Okmeydani Training and Research Hospital, 1st Urology Clinic, Istanbul, Turkey
Arch Ital Urol Androl 84:7-11. 2012..To identify stem cell markers aldehyde dehydrogenase type 1 (ALDH-1) and nestin expression in renal cell carcinoma (RCC)...
- Measurement of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 expression defines a group with better prognosis in patients with non-small cell lung cancerAnastasios Dimou
Department of Pathology, Yale Cancer Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8023, USA
Am J Pathol 181:1436-42. 2012Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been suggested as a surrogate biomarker for cancer stem cells in breast cancer and other tumors...
- ALDH1A isozymes are markers of human melanoma stem cells and potential therapeutic targetsYuchun Luo
Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Stem Cells 30:2100-13. 2012..These cells possess high aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity with ALDH1A1 and ALDH1A3 being the predominant ALDH isozymes...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1, a potential marker for cancer stem cells in human sarcomaBirgit Lohberger
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
PLoS ONE 7:e43664. 2012..Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) activity has been used as a functional stem cell marker to isolate CSCs in different cancer types...
- High expression of ALDH1 and SOX2 diffuse staining pattern of oral squamous cell carcinomas correlates to lymph node metastasisYoshitaka Michifuri
Department of Pathology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Chuo Ku, Sapporo, Japan
Pathol Int 62:684-9. 2012..Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 - (ALDH1) and SRY-related HMG-box gene 2 (SOX2) have recently been shown to be putative CSC markers for several human ..
- Downregulation of ALDH1A1 expression in non-small cell lung carcinomas--its clinicopathologic and biological significanceKoji Okudela
Department of Pathology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine 3 9, Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, 236 0004, Yokohama, Japan
Int J Clin Exp Pathol 6:1-12. 2013b>ALDH1A1 metabolizes a variety of endogenous and exogenous aldehyde, and also oxidizes retinol to synthesize retinoic acid and modulate cell differentiation...
- ALDH1 expression indicates chemotherapy resistance and poor outcome in node-negative rectal cancerS Tuulia Avoranta
Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Hämeentie 11, FIN 20521, Turku, Finland
Hum Pathol 44:966-74. 2013The cancer stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) associates with treatment resistance and adverse outcome in several human cancers...
- Increased expression of ALDH1A1 protein is associated with poor prognosis in clear cell renal cell carcinomaKefeng Wang
Department of Urology, Sheng Jing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, Liaoning, People s Republic of China
Med Oncol 30:574. 2013Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1) has been characterized as a cancer stem cell marker in different types of tumors...
- ALDH1 expression is enriched in breast cancers arising in young women but does not predict outcomeE Y Tan
Department of General Surgery, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433, Singapore
Br J Cancer 109:109-13. 2013..In this study, we used ALDH1 as a CSC marker and determined whether ALDH1 expression correlated with clinical outcome in young women with ..
- The expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 in invasive primary breast tumors and axillary lymph node metastases is associated with poor clinical prognosisYi Dong
Department of Breast Surgery, First Hospital of Jilin University, Changchun, China
Pathol Res Pract 209:555-61. 2013The enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been reported as a biomarker for identifying cancer stem cells. Previous studies have shown that ALDH1 expression in primary breast cancers was associated with poor clinical prognosis...
- Genomic structure of the human cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase geneL C Hsu
Department of Biochemical Genetics, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, California 91010
Genomics 5:857-65. 1989..They span about 80 kbp and include the entire human cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) gene...
- Chromosomal assignment of the genes for human aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2L C Hsu
Am J Hum Genet 38:641-8. 1986..of the genes for two major human aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes, that is, cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1) and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) were determined...
- Regional localization of the human genes for aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2L Raghunathan
Division of Medical Genetics, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance 90509
Genomics 2:267-9. 1988We have used the cDNA probes for human aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1) and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) to determine regional chromosomal locations of these two genes by in situ hybridization...
- Human ocular aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes: distribution and properties as major soluble proteins in cornea and lensG King
Faculty of Science and Technology, Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Exp Zool 282:12-7. 1998..2.1.3) exhibit very high levels of activity in anterior eye tissues. Human corneal ALDH1 and ALDH3 isozymes are present as major soluble proteins (3% and 5%, respectively, of corneal soluble protein) and ..
- Association of ALDH1 promoter polymorphisms with alcohol-related phenotypes in southwest California IndiansCindy L Ehlers
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1481-6. 2004Cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1A1) is an important enzyme in the metabolism of acetaldehyde and the synthesis of retinoic acid...
- Association of ALDH1 promoter polymorphisms with alcohol-related phenotypes in Trinidad and TobagoShelly Moore
Pharmacology Unit, Department of Paraclinical Sciences, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies, St Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:192-6. 2007Two polymorphisms in the promoter region of the gene encoding cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1A1), ALDH1A1*2 and ALDH1A1*3, have recently been identified...
- Stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-positive breast cancers are characterized by negative estrogen receptor, positive human epidermal growth factor receptor type 2, and high Ki67 expressionKoji Morimoto
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita City, Osaka, Japan
Cancer Sci 100:1062-8. 2009..The aim of our study was to investigate the clinicopathological characteristics of breast cancers with ALDH1+ cancer stem cells...
- The expression pattern of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) is an independent prognostic marker for low survival in colorectal tumorsTobias Vogler
Pathologisches Institut der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Thalkirchner Straße 36, D 80337 München, Germany
Exp Mol Pathol 92:111-7. 2012Aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1) is involved in the regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation. Moreover, it is a marker for cancer stem cells (CSC)...
- Cutaneous metabolism of glycol ethersDavid J Lockley
Skin Toxicology Group, Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Arch Toxicol 79:160-8. 2005..b>ALDH1 is the predominant isoform in rat liver and skin cytosolic fractions that is selectively inhibited by disulfiram ..
- [Classification of alcohol metabolizing enzymes and polymorphisms--specificity in Japanese]S Harada
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tennoudai 1 1 1, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki, Japan 305 8575
Nihon Arukoru Yakubutsu Igakkai Zasshi 36:85-106. 2001..Two major isoforms designated as cytosolic ALDH1 and mitochondrial ALDH2 can be distinguished by their electrophoretic and kinetic properties as well as by their ..
- Role of aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes in the defense of rat lens and human lens epithelial cells against oxidative stressSanjeev Choudhary
Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas, Galveston, 77555 0647, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:259-67. 2005..The present study was undertaken to ascertain the role of ALDH1A1 and -3A1 in HNE metabolism and HNE-induced toxicity in cultured human lens epithelial cells (HLECs) and in rat ..
- Differential regulation of the aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 gene in embryonic chick retina and liverR Godbout
Department of Oncology, University of Alberta and Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 1Z2, Canada
J Biol Chem 276:32896-904. 2001Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) is highly expressed in the dorsal cells of the undifferentiated retina, where it has been proposed to play a role in the formation of a retinoic acid gradient along the ventrodorsal axis...
- Identification of human aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 family member A1 as a novel CD8+ T-cell-defined tumor antigen in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckCarmen Visus
Division of Basic Research, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Cancer Res 67:10538-45. 2007..Using a tumor-specific CTL, aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 family member A1 (ALDH1A1) was identified as a novel tumor antigen in SCCHN...
- A retinoic acid synthesizing enzyme in ventral retina and telencephalon of the embryonic mouseH Li
E Kennedy Shriver Center, Waltham, MA 02452, USA
Mech Dev 95:283-9. 2000Most retinoic acid (RA) in the embryonic mouse is generated by three retinaldehyde dehydrogenases (RALDHs). RALDH1 (also called E1, AHD2 or ALDH1) is expressed in the dorsal retina, and RALDH2 (V2, ALDH11) generates most RA in the ..
- Tissue-distribution of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 and effects of the ALDH2 gene-disruption on the expression of enzymes involved in alcohol metabolismTsunehiro Oyama
Department of Environmental Health, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, 807 8555, Japan
Front Biosci 10:951-60. 2005..In this study, therefore, we investigated the tissue-distribution of Aldh2 as well as Aldh1, Cyp1a1, Cyp2e1, and Cyp4b1 in wild type and Aldh2-null mice by immuno-histochemical analysis...
- Molecular and metabolic retinoid pathways in the human ocular surfaceHachemi Nezzar
Universite d Auvergne, JE 2447, ARDEMO, France
Mol Vis 13:1641-50. 2007..The second objective was to demonstrate the presence of different enzymes transforming vitamin A to retinoic acid and the functionality of this metabolic pathway in the corneal epithelium...
- Molecular genetics of human aldehyde dehydrogenaseA Yoshida
Department of Biochemical Genetics, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010
Pharmacogenetics 2:139-47. 1992..The coding nucleotide sequences, and organization of introns and exons of these genes have been elucidated. The ALDH1 gene encodes the major cytosolic ALDH1 existing in the liver and other tissues...
- Xenopus cytosolic thyroid hormone-binding protein (xCTBP) is aldehyde dehydrogenase catalyzing the formation of retinoic acidK Yamauchi
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, Shizuoka 422 8529, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:8460-9. 1999..protein (xCTBP) demonstrates high similarity to the corresponding sequence of mammalian aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) (Yamauchi, K., and Tata, J. R. (1994) Eur. J. Biochem. 225, 1105-1112)...
- Effect of coenzymes and thyroid hormones on the dual activities of Xenopus cytosolic thyroid-hormone-binding protein (xCTBP) with aldehyde dehydrogenase activityKiyoshi Yamauchi
Department of Biology and Geoscience, Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, Shizuoka, Japan
Eur J Biochem 269:2257-64. 2002..activity of T3 in the cytosol of Xenopus liver, has been shown to be identical to aldehyde dehydrogenase class 1 (ALDH1) [Yamauchi, K., Nakajima, J., Hayashi, H., Horiuchi, R. & Tata, J.R. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 8460-8469]...
- Heterogeneity of aldehyde dehydrogenase expression in lung cancer cell lines is revealed by Aldefluor flow cytometry-based assayJan S Moreb
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 72:281-9. 2007....
- The novel aldehyde dehydrogenase gene, ALDH5, encodes an active aldehyde dehydrogenase enzymeM J Stewart
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5151, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 211:144-51. 1995..The cells also expressed cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) mRNA, but no mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) mRNA...
- Human aldehyde dehydrogenase catalytic activity and structural interactions with coenzyme analogsG Izaguirre
Center for Alcohol Studies and Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854 8001, USA
J Biomol Struct Dyn 19:429-47. 2001..2.1.3); the cytoplasmic E1 (the product of the aldh1 gene), the mitochondrial E2 (the product of the aldh2 gene) and the cytoplasmic E3 (the product of the aldh9 gene) ..
- Distribution of messenger RNAs for aldehyde dehydrogenase 1, aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, and aldehyde dehydrogenase 5 in human tissuesM J Stewart
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5121, USA
J Investig Med 44:42-6. 1996....
- Sheep liver cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase: the structure reveals the basis for the retinal specificity of class 1 aldehyde dehydrogenasesS A Moore
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Massey University, Private Bag, 11 222, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Structure 6:1541-51. 1998..The cytosolic, or class 1, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) of higher vertebrates has an enhanced specificity for all-trans retinal, oxidising it to the powerful ..
- Molecular analysis of two closely related mouse aldehyde dehydrogenase genes: identification of a role for Aldh1, but not Aldh-pb, in the biosynthesis of retinoic acidL C Hsu
Department of Biochemical Genetics, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Biochem J 339:387-95. 1999Mammalian class I aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) has been implicated as a retinal dehydrogenase in the biosynthesis of retinoic acid, a modulator of gene expression and cell differentiation...
- Novel competitive irreversible inhibitors of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1): restoration of chemosensitivity of L1210 cells overexpressing ALDH1 and induction of apoptosis in BAF(3) cells overexpressing bcl(2)Gerard Quash
Laboratoire d Immunochimie, INSERM U329, Faculté de médecine Lyon Sud, Oullins, France
Biochem Pharmacol 64:1279-92. 2002..derivatives of alpha, beta acetylenic thiolester compounds as inhibitors of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1, (ALDH1)...
- Targeting aldehyde dehydrogenase: a potential approach for cell labelingGanesan Vaidyanathan
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Nucl Med Biol 36:919-29. 2009..Because hematopoetic stem cells express high levels of the cytosolic enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase-1A1 (ALDH1), we sought to develop an agent that is specific to ALDH1 and thus to cells expressing the enzyme...
- Gene array profiles of alcohol and aldehyde metabolizing enzymes in brains of C57BL/6 and DBA/2 miceSanjiv V Bhave
Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045 0511, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:1659-69. 2006..Differences in ethanol metabolizing enzymes expressed in brain have been suggested to contribute to the significant differences in ethanol (alcohol) preference between inbred C57BL/6 and DBA/2 mouse strains...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 is a marker for normal and malignant human colonic stem cells (SC) and tracks SC overpopulation during colon tumorigenesisEmina H Huang
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Cancer Res 69:3382-9. 2009..Accordingly, aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) was investigated as a possible marker for identifying colonic SC and for tracking them during cancer progression...
- Expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) is associated with basal-like markers and features of aggressive tumours in African breast cancerH Nalwoga
Section for Pathology, The Gade Institute, University of Bergen, Haukeland University Hospital, N 5021, Bergen, Norway
Br J Cancer 102:369-75. 2010Putative breast cancer stem cells might express surface markers such as aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) and BMI-1 proteins...
- Mouse dioxin-inducible cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase-3: AHD4 cDNA sequence, genetic mapping, and differences in mRNA levelsV Vasiliou
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, OH 45267 0056
Pharmacogenetics 3:281-90. 1993....
- Androgen regulation of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A3 (ALDH1A3) in the androgen-responsive human prostate cancer cell line LNCaPSteven E Trasino
Phytonutrients Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 232:762-71. 2007..The mRNA for two other ALDH1A family members, ALDH1A1 and ALDH1A2, were not detected and not induced by DHT in LNCaP cells...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase as a marker for stem cellsJan S Moreb
Department of Medicine, University of Florida, 1600 SW Archer Road, PO Box 100277, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 3:237-46. 2008Multiple aldehyde dehydrogenase genes have been identified in many tissues. Aldehyde dehydrogenase class 1A1 (ALDH1A1) has been identified as highly expressed in embryonal tissue as well as in adult stem cells isolated from bone marrow, ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity identifies a population of human skeletal muscle cells with high myogenic capacitiesKarine Vauchez
Inserm U974, Paris, France
Mol Ther 17:1948-58. 2009..Our results suggest that ALDH activity is a novel marker for a population of new human skeletal muscle progenitors presenting a potential for cell biology and cell therapy...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-positive cancer stem cells mediate metastasis and poor clinical outcome in inflammatory breast cancerEmmanuelle Charafe-Jauffret
Department of Molecular Oncology, Institut Paoli Calmettes UMR891 Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille Cancer Research Center, Marseille, France
Clin Cancer Res 16:45-55. 2010..To examine the role of cancer stem cells (CSC) in mediating metastasis in inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) and the association of these cells with patient outcome in this aggressive type of breast cancer...
- Molecular cloning, genomic organization, and chromosomal localization of an additional human aldehyde dehydrogenase gene, ALDH6L C Hsu
Department of Biochemical Genetics, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, California 91010
Genomics 24:333-41. 1994..The deduced amino acid sequence showed that ALDH6 is larger than the human liver ALDH1 by 11 amino acid residues at the N-terminal, and the degree of identity between the two isozymes is 70% with an ..
- Synergetic bitherapy in mice with xenografts of human prostate cancer using a methional mimic (METLICO) and an aldehyde dehydrogenase 3 inhibitor (MATE): systemic intraperitoneal (IP) and targeted intra-tumoral (IT) administrationE Hiltbrand
CERMA, BioPark d Archamps, F 74160, France
Curr Med Chem 16:1184-91. 2009..been observed previously in culture on DU145 treated with a methional mimic METLICO and DIMATE, an inhibitor of ALDH1 and ALDH3 ...
- Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase in diabetes associated with mitochondrial tRNA(Leu(UUR)) mutation at position 3243Y Suzuki
Saiseikai Central Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Diabetes Care 19:1423-5. 1996....
- Cellular expression of retinal dehydrogenase types 1 and 2: effects of vitamin A status on testis mRNAY Zhai
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3104, USA
J Cell Physiol 186:220-32. 2001..Liver expressed RALDH1 and RALDH2 only in stellate cells and hepatocytes, respectively...
- The effect of a novel irreversible inhibitor of aldehyde dehydrogenases 1 and 3 on tumour cell growth and deathR A Canuto
Department of Experimental Medicine and Oncology, University of Turin, Corso Raffaello 30, 10125, Turin, Italy
Chem Biol Interact 130:209-18. 2001..up to the work previously reported on S-methyl 4-amino-4-methylpent-2-ynethioate, a synthetic suicide inhibitor of ALDH1, which induced bcl2 overexpressing cells into apoptosis and exhibited an ED50 of 400 microM, a novel broad ..
- Expression of retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 in the anterior pituitary glands of adult ratsKen Fujiwara
Division of Histology and Cell Biology, Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Jichi Medical University, Yakushiji 3311 1, Shimotsuke shi, Tochigi, 329 0498, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 329:321-7. 2007..Recently, we demonstrated that RALDH2 and RALDH3, but not RALDH1, were expressed in the developing anterior pituitary gland of rats, but the expression of RALDHs in the adult ..
- DNA microarray data integration by ortholog gene analysis reveals potential molecular mechanisms of estrogen-dependent growth of human uterine fibroidsTao Wei
Integrative Biology, Lilly Research Laboratories, Greenfield, Indiana 46140, USA
BMC Womens Health 7:5. 2007..Uterine fibroids or leiomyoma are a common benign smooth muscle tumor. The tumor growth is well known to be estrogen-dependent. However, the molecular mechanisms of its estrogen-dependency is not well understood...
- Tissue distribution, ontogeny, and regulation of aldehyde dehydrogenase (Aldh) enzymes mRNA by prototypical microsomal enzyme inducers in miceYazen Alnouti
Kansas Life Sciences Innovation Center, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Toxicol Sci 101:51-64. 2008..b>Aldh1a1 mRNA expression was highest in ovary; 1a2 in testis; 1a3 in placenta; 1a7 in lung; 1b1 in small intestine; 2 in ..
- Down-regulation of glutaminase C in human hepatocarcinoma cell by diphenylarsinic acid, a degradation product of chemical warfare agentsKayoko Kita
Laboratory of Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Teikyo University, 1091 1 Sagamiko chou, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 229 0195, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 220:262-70. 2007..They were chaperonin containing TCP-1 (CCT) beta subunit, aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1), ribosomal protein P0 and glutaminase C (GAC)...
- Developmental changes of the expression of the genes regulated by retinoic acid in the small intestine of ratsYuko Ogura
Laboratory of Nutritional Physiology and COE Program in the 21st Century, University of Shizuoka School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, 52 1 Yada, Shizuoka shi 422 8526, Japan
Life Sci 77:2804-13. 2005..Northern blot analysis showed that both retinal dehydrogenase 1 (RALDH1) and retinal dehydrogenase 2 (RALDH2) mRNA levels were higher in 19-day fetal (2 days before ..
- Selective protection by stably transfected human ALDH3A1 (but not human ALDH1A1) against toxicity of aliphatic aldehydes in V79 cellsA J Townsend
Biochemistry Department, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Chem Biol Interact 130:261-73. 2001..We have developed transgenic cell lines to examine the potential for either human ALDH1A1 or ALDH3A1 to protect against damage mediated by these toxic aldehydes...
- Genetic evidence that retinaldehyde dehydrogenase Raldh1 (Aldh1a1) functions downstream of alcohol dehydrogenase Adh1 in metabolism of retinol to retinoic acidAndrei Molotkov
OncoDevelopmental Biology Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 278:36085-90. 2003..We now present genetic evidence that aldehyde dehydrogenase Aldh1a1, also known as retinaldehyde dehydrogenase Raldh1, plays a dominant role in the second step of retinol clearance ..
- Raldh2 expression in optic vesicle generates a retinoic acid signal needed for invagination of retina during optic cup formationFelix A Mic
OncoDevelopmental Biology Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Dev Dyn 231:270-7. 2004Three retinaldehyde dehydrogenase genes (Raldh1, Raldh2, and Raldh3) expressed in unique spatiotemporal patterns may control synthesis of retinoic acid (RA) needed for retina development...
- Locus coeruleus promotes survival of dopamine neurons in ventral mesencephalon. An in oculo grafting studyElisabet Berglöf
Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Exp Neurol 216:158-65. 2009..Cell counts of subpopulations of TH-positive neurons also immunoreactive for aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-A1 (ALDH1) or calbindin, revealed improved survival of ALDH1/TH-positive neurons...
- The N-terminal portion of mature aldehyde dehydrogenase affects protein folding and assemblyJ Zhou
Department of Biochemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1153, USA
Protein Sci 10:1490-7. 2001Human liver cytosolic (ALDH1) and mitochondrial (ALDH2) aldehyde dehydrogenases are both encoded in the nucleus and synthesized in the cytosol...
- The role of retinoid X receptor alpha in regulating alcohol metabolismMaxwell Afari Gyamfi
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutics, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66160 7417, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:360-8. 2006..Western blot analysis revealed that the levels of ALDH1A1 and ALDH1A2 were decreased in the mutant mice...
- Differences in retinol metabolism and proliferative response between neointimal and medial smooth muscle cellsAndreas C Gidlof
Center for Molecular Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Unit, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Vasc Res 43:392-8. 2006....
- Estrogen suppresses retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 expression in the anterior pituitary glands of female ratsKen Fujiwara
Division of Histology and Cell Biology, Department of Anatomy, Jichi Medical University School of Medicine, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan
Endocr J 55:91-6. 2008..The oxidation of retinal to RA is catalyzed by the retinaldehyde dehydrogenases (RALDHs), including RALDH1, RALDH2 and RALDH3...
- Keeping an eye on retinoic acid signaling during eye developmentGregg Duester
Development and Aging Program, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Chem Biol Interact 178:178-81. 2009..conversion of retinol to retinoic acid is carried out by three retinaldehyde dehydrogenases encoded by Raldh1 (Aldh1a1), Raldh2 (Aldh1a2), and Raldh3 (Aldh1a3)...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-positive cells in axillary lymph node metastases after chemotherapy as a prognostic factor in patients with lymph node-positive breast cancerMasahiro Sakakibara
Department of General Surgery, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Cancer 118:3899-910. 2012Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1)-positive cells exhibit stem-like or progenitor ability and have been considered a clinically important diagnostic and therapeutic target in patients with breast cancer...
- Enhancement of cancer stem-like and epithelial-mesenchymal transdifferentiation property in oral epithelial cells with long-term nicotine exposure: reversal by targeting SNAILCheng Chia Yu
Institute of Oral Science, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 266:459-69. 2013..Long-term exposure with nicotine was demonstrated to up-regulate ALDH1 population in normal gingival and primary OSCC OE cells dose-dependently...
- Krüppel-like factor 4 acts as an oncogene in colon cancer stem cell-enriched spheroid cellsZhengwei Leng
Department of General Surgery, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e56082. 2013..These cells possessed the characteristics of CSCs, with the expression of CD133, CD166, Lgr5, and ALDH1, higher capacities of chemo-resistance, migration, invasion, and tumorigenicity in vitro and in vivo than the ..
- Lgr5 expression as stem cell marker in human gastric gland and its relatedness with other putative cancer stem cell markersChen Wu
College of Life Sciences, Hebei University, Baoding, Hebei 071002, PR China
Gene 525:18-25. 2013..Lgr5 and Bmi1 were co-expressed within the same cells of gastric glands. CD26+, CD44+, ALDH1+ and CD133+ cells co-existed with Lgr5+ cells in the stem cell zone of adjacent normal gastric mucosa, and they ..
- Human Breast Cancer Stem Cell SurrogatesWendy A Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2012..the expression of cancer stem cell markers of tumor initiating capacity;CD44+CD24- and aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1)...
- Role of Mitochondrial Aldehyde Dehydrogenases in Ethanol Metabolism and ToxicityVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mitochondrial ALDH2 and, to a lesser extent, cytosolic ALDH1A1 enzymes are known to play a major role in acetaldehyde detoxification...
- Randy Strong; Fiscal Year: 2016..created two lines of mice, one with homozygous mutations in the two aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes, Aldh1a1 and Aldh2, that are known to be present in midbrain dopamine neurons, and the other a line of wild- type mice ..
- Role and Molecular Mechanisms of Corneal Aldehyde DehydrogenaseVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2013..applicant): The long term goal of this project is to elucidate the role of aldehyde dehydrogenases (ALDH3A1 and ALDH1A1) in the ocular defense mechanism against ultraviolet radiation (UVR) toxicity...
- THE CHEMISTRY OF NEW IMAGING AGENTSDEAN SHERRY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Hematopoietic stem cells and progenitors express high levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) and this has become a popular target for identifying and purifying these cells...
- Novel Role of Corneal Crystallins as Modulators of Cell Growth and TransparencyVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2011..ALDH3A1) was the first abundantly expressed corneal protein identified and since then several proteins including ALDH1A1 and transketolase...
- Steven D Leach; Fiscal Year: 2014..isolating cells based upon high expression of the retinoic acid-synthesizing enzyme, Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1)...
- HUMAN ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE & ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASEAkira Yoshida; Fiscal Year: 1993..and 5'- regions, and possibly pseudogene(s); 2) Study of developmental regulation of expression of the cytosolic ALDH1 and the mitochondrial ALDH2 loci, by analyzing translation products and quantity and quality of primary ..
- Abnormality in Gene Expression of Key Mediators of Vitamin A Action in COPDSalil K Das; Fiscal Year: 2010..Microarray data also reveal a differential expression of RDH10, RDH12, RDH13, RALDH1, RALDH2, CRABP-II, CYP26A1, RAR-1, RAR-2, RAR3, and RXR-1 between these specimens...
- W Matthew Petroll; Fiscal Year: 2016..factors modulate cell contractility, matrix reorganization production of normal and fibrotic ECM components and ALDH1A1 expression levels in collagen and fibrin matrices of varying stiffness, and determine whether these expression ..
- Shehla Pervin; Fiscal Year: 2015..Fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) will be used to enrich MCSCs (Lin-/CD44+/CD24- /ALDH1+) from TN AA and Caucasian breast tumors, which will injected into the nude mice to form xenotransplants...
- BRIAN CHRISTOPHER JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2014..Acetaldehyde is primarily cleared by aldehyde dehydrogenases, namely ALDH2, ALDH1B1, and ALDH1A1. ALDH2 has been well characterized and a well-known inactivating polymorphism, ALDH2*2 has been found to affect ..
- Vasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2016..Cyp2e1/Adh1, Cat/Cyp2e1, Cat/Adhi and Cat/Cyp2e1/Adh1 triple knockout, b) Aldhlal/Aldhlbl, Aldh1b1/Aldh2 and the Aldh1a1/Aldh1b1/Aldh2 triple knockout strains, and c) Gclm/Cyp2e1 and Gclm/Aldhlal double knockout strains...
- Nikki Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2016..cell survival and invasiveness, associated with increased expression of pro-survival and pro-invasive proteins (ALDH1A1) and decreased expression of pro-apoptotic proteins (Htra2)...
- Gerold Bepler; Fiscal Year: 2015..The third aim is to determine if aATC decreases the frequency of putative CD44hi/CD24lo, CD133+, ALDH1 positive breast cancer stem cells (CSC) in the tumor tissue at the time of surgery compared to that found in the ..
- CAK-RARa Signaling in HSC and Leukemic Cell Commitment to DifferentiationLingtao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2012..hypophosphorylation in transcriptional control of granulocytic differentiation;and d) define the role of ALDH1A1 and 1B1 in initiating RARα-CAK signaling during granulopoiesis...
- Lorraine Iacovitti; Fiscal Year: 2016..commit to the mDA differentiation pathway, they express many of the same mDA-specific genes/proteins (Lmx1a, Aldh1a1, Nurr1, Pitx3, TH, etc.)...
- Dario Marchetti; Fiscal Year: 2015..expression of heparanase in CTCs, and a significant correlation between its presence, EGFR gene amplification, and ALDH1, a known cancer stem cell marker. A logical next step is to formulate strategies to inhibit HPSE and suppress BMBC...
- Artemisinin Biosynthesis: Role of Reactive OxygenPamela J Weathers; Fiscal Year: 2010..Investigation of the relative expression levels of early (HMGR, FPS) and late dedicated (ADS, CYP71AV1, DBR2, ALDH1) genes as plants are subjected to diverse sources of oxidative stress, including photo, drought, and chemically ..
- BIOCHEMICAL MECHANISM OF OXIDATIVE CATARACTOGENESISNaseem Ansari; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our studies further suggest that ALDH1 isozyme, present mainly in the epithelium, is the main catalyst of HNE oxidation to HNA...
- GENETIC MODELS TO STUDY ALCOHOL TOXICITYVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2003The long-term goal of this project is to understand the role of CYP2E1, ALDH2, and ALDH1 genes which encode alcohol-metabolizing enzymes, in alcohol-induced oxidative stress and toxicity...
- GENETIC DISSECTION OF ALCOHOL/RETINOL METABOLIC PATHWAYSGregg Duester; Fiscal Year: 2002..3) Prepare and ALDH-I knockout mouse plus mice mutated for one or more ADHs and ALDH-I, then analyze their phenotype as above. ..
- Retinoid Dehydrogenases Involved in Eye DevelopmentGREGG L DUESTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..e. RALDH1, RALDH2, and RALDH3...
- CD44-P185HER2 INTERACTION IN OVARIAN CANCER PROGRESSIONLILLY BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- CD44/VARIANT CYTOSKELETON IN BREAST CANCER PROGRESSIONLILLY YW BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Flow Cytometry to Detect Human Tumor Cells in Body FluidAWTAR GANJU KRISHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..3. Compare data collected from flow cytometric analysis with that obtained from cytopathology and immunocytochemistry routinely performed on these specimens for diagnostic purpose. ..
- RETINOID METABOLISMJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work will contribute to revealing pathology caused or exacerbated by impaired atRA biosynthesis during carcinogenesis, skin disease, birth defects, or diseases of intermediary metabolism. ..
- OVARIAN LDL RECEPTOR AND STAR GENE REGULATIONHOLLY LAVOIE; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will promote our understanding of how multiple genes are coordinated by different trophic factors in the ovary during follicular differentiation and add to our understanding of mechanisms of infertility. ..
- Biosynthesis of 9-cis-retinoic acid/retinol homeostasisJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work will provide new insight into retinoid metabolism/ function. ..
- Glutathione S-Transferase Functions in ChemopreventionAlan Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will enhance our knowledge of the factors that govern chemoprotective functions of GSTs. ..
- ROLE OF TGFBETA IN CORNEAL STROMAL WOUND HEALINGJames V Jester; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SPECIFICITY AND FUNCTION OF ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASESBRYCE PLAPP; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Dynamic and Catalysis by Alcohol DehydrogenasesBRYCE PLAPP; Fiscal Year: 2009..Design of better inhibitors for treating the pathology of alcoholism depends on understanding the dynamics of catalysis by the rate-limiting enzyme in the pathway of alcohol metabolism. ..
- AKT MEDIATED TAMOXIFEN RESISTANCE IN BREAST CANCER CELLSHarikrishna Nakshatri; Fiscal Year: 2005..3) By inactivating PTEN, through a dominant-negative mutant or antisense RNA, we will determine whether loss of PTEN leads to increased ERalpha activity and tamoxifen-resistant growth of breast cancer cells. ..
- MECHANISMS FOR CHEMOPREVENTION OF COLON CANCERCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tissue distribution and comparative metabolism studies of curcumin and PEMC will be studied with synthetic [3H] curcumin and [3H]-PEMC in vivo in male F-344 rats. ..
- Association and Function of Opioid Receptor Gene Variants to Substance DependenceHuiping Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2008..Jeffrey Gruen (co-mentor), who are both excellent supervisors with substantial experience in genetic studies of complex disorders and who have both mentored numerous previous trainees. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alcoholism risk and protective factors in TrinidadCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Study findings can be compared to similar studies being conducted in the US. We believe these studies will allow for the identification of risk and protective factors for alcoholism in these islands. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Xenogen Rodent Imaging SystemJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2008..Availability of this instrument would undoubtedly stimulate its use by others on campus and in the area. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RETINAL DEHYDROGENASESJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific Aims 1 would determine the contribution of RALDH 1, 2 and 3 to RA biosynthesis in the brain, focusing on the hippocampus...
- Animal Model for Local Inflammation-Induced Breast CancerHarikrishna Nakshatri; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PREVENTION OF COLORECTAL CANCER BY iNOS AND COX-2 SELECTIVE INHIBITORSCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ADOLESCENT MARIJUANA USE IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Neurobehavioral Consequences of Adolescent AlcoholCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..AIM 3: To investigate the neurochemical substrates underlying the lasting neurobehavioral consequences of adolescent ethanol exposure, with a focus on NMDA systems ..
- Chemoprevention Through Activation of Estrogen Receptor Alpha-Induced SenescenceHarikrishna Nakshatri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our long- term goal is to identify molecular targets for senescence-based chemoprevention strategies for ERa-positive breast cancers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RISK FACTORS FOR ALCOHOLISM IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..The identification of such variables may potentially be useful in the development of specific prevention and treatment programs for this population as well as other Native American tribes. ..
- Imaging of O6-Alkylguanine-DNA AlkyltransferaseGanesan Vaidyanathan; Fiscal Year: 2005..In summary, this proposal seeks to determine whether the development of a suitable agent for the imaging of tumor AGT will facilitate chemotherapy planning, thereby improving the outcome of alkylator chemotherapy. ..
- KERATOCYTE CRYSTALLIN PROTEINS AND CORNEAL TRANSPARENCYJAMES JESTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..keratocytes abundantly express two water soluble proteins, transketolase (TKT) and aldehyde dehydrogenase class 1 (ALDH1) in vivo...
- MIBG ANALOGUE RADIOPHARMACEUTICALSGanesan Vaidyanathan; Fiscal Year: 2001..Strategies to augment tumor-to-normal tissue ratios will be investigated. The outcome of this study should help improve the endoradiotherapy of neuroendocrine tumors and possibly of medulloblastoma. ..