Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ADH4
Description: alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (class II), pi polypeptide
Alias: ADH-2, HEL-S-4, alcohol dehydrogenase 4, alcohol dehydrogenase class II pi chain, aldehyde reductase, epididymis secretory protein Li 4
Publications189 found, 100 shown here
- ADH4 gene variation is associated with alcohol and drug dependence: results from family controlled and population-structured association studiesXingguang Luo
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 15:755-68. 2005We found strong associations between ADH4 gene variation and alcohol and drug dependence by the Hardy-Weinberg Disequilibrium (HWD) test and case-control association analysis in an initial study...
- ADH single nucleotide polymorphism associations with alcohol metabolism in vivoAndrew J Birley
Genetic Epidemiology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 18:1533-42. 2009..SNPs were associated with the early stages of alcohol metabolism, with additional effects in the ADH1A, ADH1B and ADH4 regions...
- Associations of ADH and ALDH2 gene variation with self report alcohol reactions, consumption and dependence: an integrated analysisStuart Macgregor
Genetic Epidemiology, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 18:580-93. 2009..001) between alcohol consumption phenotypes and rs1693482 (ADH1C), rs1230165 (ADH5) and rs3762894 (ADH4)...
- ADH4 gene variation is associated with alcohol dependence and drug dependence in European Americans: results from HWD tests and case-control association studiesXingguang Luo
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:1085-95. 2006..The ADH4 gene, an important member of this family, is a functional and positional candidate for alcohol dependence...
- Alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphisms influence alcohol-elimination rates in a male Jewish populationYehuda D Neumark
Braun School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem Hadassah, Jerusalem, Israel
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:10-4. 2004..The mechanism by which this allelic effect is mediated is not yet clearly understood. This study examined the effect of ADH2*2 on alcohol-elimination rates (AER) under experimental conditions...
- Personality traits of agreeableness and extraversion are associated with ADH4 variationXingguang Luo
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:599-608. 2007..Strong associations between ADH4 variation and SD have been reported...
- Association of ADH and ALDH genes with alcohol dependence in the Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of alcohol dependence (IASPSAD) samplePo Hsiu Kuo
Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital 138, National Cheng Kung University, Sheng Li Road, Tainan 704, Taiwan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:785-95. 2008..The present study examined evidence for the association of alcohol metabolism genes with AD in the Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of alcohol dependence...
- Association of genetic variants in alcohol dehydrogenase 4 with alcohol dependence in Brazilian patientsCamila Guindalini
Human Genome Research Center, Department of Biology, Institute of Biosciences, University of Sao Paulo, Rua do Matao, Travessa 13, Number 106, Cidade Universitária CEP 05508 090, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Am J Psychiatry 162:1005-7. 2005The authors evaluated the association of three functional promoter polymorphisms of the ADH4 gene with alcohol dependence.
- Human class II (pi) alcohol dehydrogenase has a redox-specific function in norepinephrine metabolismG Mårdh
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83:8908-12. 1986..These features and the presence of pi ADH in human liver imply a physiological role for pi ADH in the degradation of circulating epinephrine and norepinephrine...
- Cutaneous metabolism of glycol ethersDavid J Lockley
Skin Toxicology Group, Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Arch Toxicol 79:160-8. 2005..However, ADH1, ADH3 and ADH4 predominate in rat skin, demonstrate different sensitivities to pyrazole, and are responsible for metabolising ..
- The intra- and extracellular proteome of Aspergillus niger growing on defined medium with xylose or maltose as carbon substrateXin Lu
Helmholtz Center for Infection Research, Inhoffenstr, Braunschweig, Germany
Microb Cell Fact 9:23. 2010..13 growing on defined medium with xylose or maltose as carbon substrate was carried out using 2-D gel electrophoresis/Maldi-ToF and nano-HPLC MS/MS...
- Regulation of aflatoxin B1-metabolizing aldehyde reductase and glutathione S-transferase by chemoprotectorsL I McLellan
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Edinburgh, Royal Infirmary, U K
Biochem J 300:117-24. 1994..In addition, the effect of these drugs on the hepatic levels of an aldehyde reductase (AFB1-AR) that metabolizes the cytotoxic dialdehydic form of AFB1 has been studied as this enzyme also ..
- Molecular and metabolic retinoid pathways in the human ocular surfaceHachemi Nezzar
Universite d Auvergne, JE 2447, ARDEMO, France
Mol Vis 13:1641-50. 2007..The second objective was to demonstrate the presence of different enzymes transforming vitamin A to retinoic acid and the functionality of this metabolic pathway in the corneal epithelium...
- Tetrahydrobiopterin is synthesized from 6-pyruvoyl-tetrahydropterin by the human aldo-keto reductase AKR1 family membersTeruhiko Iino
Department of General Studies, Nihon University, Sakurajosui 3 25 40, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156 8550, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 416:180-7. 2003..by 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2, whereas 1(')-OXPH(4) was produced by aldose reductase, aldehyde reductase, and 20 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, and both 1(')-OXPH(4) and 2(')-OXPH(4) were detected as the ..
- Vitamin C. Biosynthesis, recycling and degradation in mammalsCarole L Linster
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, Brussels, Belgium
FEBS J 274:1-22. 2007..Glucuronate is converted to l-gulonate by aldehyde reductase, an enzyme of the aldo-keto reductase superfamily...
- Regulation of rat glutathione S-transferase A5 by cancer chemopreventive agents: mechanisms of inducible resistance to aflatoxin B1J D Hayes
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
Chem Biol Interact 111:51-67. 1998..In addition to GSTA5, we have identified a novel aflatoxin-aldehyde reductase (AFAR) that is similarly induced by ethoxyquin...
- The role of liver alcohol dehydrogenase isoenzymes in the oxidation of glycolethers in male and female ratsL Aasmoe
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University Hospital, University of Tromsø, Norway
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 150:86-90. 1998..However, it was the same ADH isoenzyme (ADH-3) that oxidized the different glycolethers tested in both male and female rat livers, and the substrate specificity was 2-BE > 2-EE > 2-ME...
- Tracing the history of an enzyme polymorphism: the case of alcohol dehydrogenase-2 (Adh-2) of the olive fruit fly Bactrocera oleaeGeorge N Goulielmos
Department of Genetics, Agricultural University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Mol Biol Evol 20:293-306. 2003..The estimated age of the polymorphism is compatible with this hypothesis, but firmer support could be difficult to obtain...
- ADH4-lacZ transgenic mouse reveals alcohol dehydrogenase localization in embryonic midbrain/hindbrain, otic vesicles, and mesencephalic, trigeminal, facial, and olfactory neural crestR J Haselbeck
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22:1607-13. 1998..Herein, we have used transgenic mice to examine the mouse gene encoding class IV ADH (ADH4), an enzyme that is weakly effective as an ethanol dehydrogenase, but highly effective as a retinol dehydrogenase ..
- Distinct retinoid metabolic functions for alcohol dehydrogenase genes Adh1 and Adh4 in protection against vitamin A toxicity or deficiency revealed in double null mutant miceAndrei Molotkov
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 277:13804-11. 2002The ability of class I alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH1) and class IV alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH4) to metabolize retinol to retinoic acid is supported by genetic studies in mice carrying Adh1 or Adh4 gene disruptions...
- Impaired retinol utilization in Adh4 alcohol dehydrogenase mutant miceL Deltour
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Dev Genet 25:1-10. 1999b>Adh4, a member of the mouse alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) gene family, encodes an enzyme that functions in vitro as a retinol dehydrogenase in the conversion of retinol to retinoic acid, an important developmental signaling molecule...
- Rat liver alcohol dehydrogenase of class III. Primary structure, functional consequences and relationships to other alcohol dehydrogenasesP Julia
Department of Chemistry I, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 172:73-83. 1988..Finally the class III structure supports evolutionary relationships suggesting that the three classes constitute clearly separate enzymes within the group of mammalian zinc-containing alcohol dehydrogenases...
- Characterization of the functional gene encoding mouse class III alcohol dehydrogenase (glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase) and an unexpressed processed pseudogene with an intact open reading frameM H Foglio
La Jolla Cancer Foundation Research Foundation, CA 92037, USA
Eur J Biochem 237:496-504. 1996..Reporter gene expression following transfection into mouse F9 embryonal carcinoma cells indicated that only Adh-2 possesses promoter activity...
- The role of aryl hydrocarbon receptor in regulation of enzymes involved in metabolic activation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in a model of rat liver progenitor cellsJan Vondracek
Department of Cytokinetics, Institute of Biophysics ASCR, Brno, Czech Republic
Chem Biol Interact 180:226-37. 2009..In contrast, the aldehyde reductase AKR1A1 was not induced by either treatment...
- Aldose reductase: an aldehyde scavenging enzyme in the intraneuronal metabolism of norepinephrine in human sympathetic gangliaMinoru Kawamura
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Auton Neurosci 96:131-9. 2002..Although similar formation of DHPG was observed with human liver aldehyde reductase, the production of DHPG was more effective with aldose reductase than aldehyde reductase...
- Characterization of the rat aflatoxin B1 aldehyde reductase gene, AKR7A1. Structure and chromosomal localization of AKR7A1 as well as identification of antioxidant response elements in the gene promoterElizabeth M Ellis
Department of Bioscience and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow G1 1XW, UK
Carcinogenesis 24:727-37. 2003Rat aflatoxin B(1) aldehyde reductase (called AFAR1 or AKR7A1) is a member of the aldo-keto reductase 7 family, which metabolizes the environmental carcinogen aflatoxin B(1)...
- Quantification of urinary aflatoxin B1 dialdehyde metabolites formed by aflatoxin aldehyde reductase using isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometryDenise N Johnson
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 21:752-60. 2008..This urinary detection of the alcohol products directly contributes to the goal of mass balancing the fate of the bioreactive 8,9-epoxides of AFB 1 in vivo...
- Novel homodimeric and heterodimeric rat gamma-hydroxybutyrate synthases that associate with the Golgi apparatus define a distinct subclass of aldo-keto reductase 7 family proteinsVincent P Kelly
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 366:847-61. 2002The aldo-keto reductase (AKR) 7 family is composed of the dimeric aflatoxin B(1) aldehyde reductase (AFAR) isoenzymes. In the rat, two AFAR subunits exist, designated rAFAR1 and rAFAR2...
- Aldose reductase in human retinal pigment epithelial cellsS Sato
Laboratory of Ocular Therapeutics, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Exp Eye Res 57:235-41. 1993..In addition to aldose reductase, chromatofocusing demonstrated the presence of aldehyde reductase, another NADPH-dependent reductase...
- Isolation and characterization of cloned cDNAs encoding human liver chlordecone reductaseC J Winters
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond 23298
Biochemistry 29:1080-7. 1990..The deduced protein sequence of CDR showed 65% similarity to the primary structure of human liver aldehyde reductase and 66% similarity to the inferred protein sequence of rat lens aldose reductase...
- Cloning of the human aflatoxin B1-aldehyde reductase gene at 1p35-1p36.1 in a region frequently altered in human tumor cellsC Praml
Division of Cytogenetics, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Res 58:5014-8. 1998..a gene encoding a protein of 330 amino acids that is 78% identical with the Rattus norvegicus aflatoxin B1 aldehyde reductase (Afar) and, therefore, likely represents its human homologue...
- Enzymes of glycerol and glyceraldehyde metabolism in mouse liver: effects of caloric restriction and age on activitiesKevork Hagopian
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Biosci Rep 28:107-15. 2008..Aldehyde dehydrogenase and aldehyde reductase activities in both young and old CR mice were unchanged by caloric restriction...
- Molecular cloning and expression of an abundant rabbit ovarian protein with 20 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activityW R Lacy
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine Houston, Texas 77030
Mol Endocrinol 7:58-66. 1993..to human chlordecone reductase, bovine lung prostaglandin F synthase, human aldose reductase, human aldehyde reductase, and frog lens rho-crystallin, placing rabbit ovarian 20 alpha HSD in the aldo-keto reductase family of ..
- Enzymes in pancreatic islets that use NADP(H) as a cofactor including evidence for a plasma membrane aldehyde reductaseM Laclau
University of Wisconsin Childrens Diabetes Center, Madison, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 225:151-60. 2001..Significant activities of glutathione reductase, aldose reductase (EC.18.104.22.168) and aldehyde reductase (EC.22.214.171.124) were present in islets...
- Purification and characterization of human testis aldose and aldehyde reductaseT Tanimoto
Division of Biological Chemistry, National Institute of Hygienic Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Biochem 23:421-8. 19911. Aldose reductase and aldehyde reductase were purified to homogeneity from human testis. 2...
- Alcohol dehydrogenases in Xenopus development: conserved expression of ADH1 and ADH4 in epithelial retinoid target tissuesI Hoffmann
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Dev Dyn 213:261-70. 1998Mammalian alcohol dehydrogenases ADH1 (class I ADH) and ADH4 (class IV ADH) function as retinol dehydrogenases contributing to the synthesis of retinoic acid, the active form of vitamin A involved in growth and development...
- Characterization of the serotoninergic system in the C57BL/6 mouse skinAndrzej Slominski
Department of Pathology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Eur J Biochem 270:3335-44. 2003..acid, probably through stepwise transformation catalyzed by monoamine oxidase, aldehyde dehydrogenase and aldehyde reductase. Activity of the melatonin-forming enzyme hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase was notably below detectable ..
- Transgenic expression of aflatoxin aldehyde reductase (AKR7A1) modulates aflatoxin B1 metabolism but not hepatic carcinogenesis in the ratBill D Roebuck
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Toxicol Sci 109:41-9. 2009..These results imply that the prevention of protein adducts mediated by AKR are not critical to protection against AFB(1) tumorigenicity...
- Isolation of a set of genes expressed in the choroid plexus of the mouse using suppression subtractive hybridizationN Matsumoto
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Neuroscience 117:405-15. 2003..gelsolin, phospholipid transfer protein, ATP-binding cassette transporter A8 (ABCA8), androgen-inducible aldehyde reductase, and Na(+)/sulfate cotransporter SUT-1...
- A novel aldehyde reductase with activity towards a metabolite of aflatoxin B1 is expressed in rat liver during carcinogenesis and following the administration of an anti-oxidantD J Judah
MRC Toxicology Unit, Carshalton, Surrey, U K
Biochem J 292:13-8. 1993In contrast with fractions from control animals, an aldehyde reductase, which catalyses the reduction of aflatoxin B1-dihydrodiol, in the dialdehyde form at physiological pH values, to aflatoxin B1-dialcohol, is expressed in cytosolic ..
- Purification and characterization of a novel cytosolic NADP(H)-dependent retinol oxidoreductase from rabbit liverD Y Huang
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Kagawa Medical University, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1338:47-59. 1997..This enzyme exhibits relatively broad aldehyde reductase activity and some ketone reductase activity, the activity for aromatic substitutive aldehydes being ..
- Biosynthesis of podophyllotoxin in Linum album cell culturesVeronique Seidel
Natural Products Research, Faculty of Applied Sciences, De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester LEI 9BH, UK
Planta 215:1031-9. 2002..Electronic supplementary material to this paper can be obtained by using the Springer LINK server located at http://dx.doi.org/wo.1007/s00425-002-0834-1...
- Cloning and expression of two novel aldo-keto reductases from Digitalis purpurea leavesIsabel Gavidia
Center of Plant Molecular Biology ZMBP, University of Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Biochem 269:2842-50. 2002..proteins present high identities (68-80%) with four Arabidopsis clones and a 67% identity with the aldose/aldehyde reductase from Medicago sativa...
- Escherichia coli YqhD exhibits aldehyde reductase activity and protects from the harmful effect of lipid peroxidation-derived aldehydesJose Manuel Perez
Laboratorio de Microbiologia Molecular, Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Quimica y Biologia, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, Santiago 9170019, Chile
J Biol Chem 283:7346-53. 2008..We speculate that in Escherichia coli YqhD is part of a glutathione-independent, NADPH-dependent response mechanism to lipid peroxidation...
- Structural similarity of bovine lung prostaglandin F synthase to lens epsilon-crystallin of the European common frogK Watanabe
Hayaishi Bioinformation Transfer Project, Kyoto Laboratory, Research Development Corporation of Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:11-5. 1988..that bovine lung PGF synthase shows 62% identical plus conservative substitutions compared with human liver aldehyde reductase [Wermuth, B., Omar, A., Forster, A., Francesco, C., Wolf, M., Wartburg, J.P., Bullock, B. & Gabbay, K.H...
- Metyrapone reductase purified partially from liver microsomes of male rats: the enzyme differs from acetohexamide reductaseY Imamura
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Japan
Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 96:219-26. 1997..The substrate specificities were in fair agreement with those of carbonyl reductase. However, the partially purified enzyme was strongly inhibited by inhibitors of aldehyde reductase, such as barbital, phenobarbital and sodium valproate.
- Proteomic analysis of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma compared with normal adjacent pancreatic tissue and pancreatic benign cystadenomaYazhou Cui
Key Laboratory of Ministry of Health for Biotech Drug, Shandong Medicinal Biotechnology Center, Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, Jinan, PR China
Pancreatology 9:89-98. 2009..Dual expression of potential biomarkers in both benign and malignant pancreatic tumors was a major obstacle in the development of diagnostic biomarkers of early pancreatic cancer...
- Aldose reductase from human psoas muscle. Affinity labeling of an active site lysine by pyridoxal 5'-phosphate and pyridoxal 5'-diphospho-5'-adenosineN A Morjana
Department of Biochemistry, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 264:2912-9. 1989..the essential lysine was found to be highly homologous with a segment of the sequence of both human liver aldehyde reductase and rat lens aldose reductase...
- Carbonyl reductases and pluripotent hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of the short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase superfamilyFrank Hoffmann
Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology for Natural Scientists, University Medical School Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Brunswiker Strasse, Kiel, 10, 24105, Germany
Drug Metab Rev 39:87-144. 2007..Whereas aldehyde reductase and aldose reductase are AKRs, several forms of carbonyl reductase belong to the SDRs...
- Molecular cloning and expression of rat liver 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenaseK C Cheng
Department of Pediatrics Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
Mol Endocrinol 5:823-8. 1991..other enzymes, including bovine prostaglandin F synthase, human chlordecone reductase, human aldose reductase, human aldehyde reductase, and frog lens epsilon-crystalline, suggesting that these proteins belong to the same gene family.
- Developmental expression and function of aldehyde reductase in proximal tubules of the kidneyOleg A Barski
Harry B and Aileen Gordon Diabetes Research Laboratory, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F200-7. 2005b>Aldehyde reductase reduces a wide variety of toxic and physiological aldehydes with a marked preference for negatively charged substrates such as glucuronate...
- Polyol formation in cell lines of rat retinal capillary pericytes and endothelial cells (TR-rPCT and TR-iBRB)Peter F Kador
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 986025 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6025, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 25:299-308. 2009....
- Systematic analysis of the gene expression in the livers of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: implications on potential biomarkers and molecular pathological mechanismYida Zhang
Department of Bioinformatics, Tongji University, Shanghai, PR China
PLoS ONE 7:e51131. 2012..b>Alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (ADH4) exhibited the highest rank suggesting the most significant differential expression between normal ..
- Metabolism of trans, trans-muconaldehyde, a cytotoxic metabolite of benzene, in mouse liver by alcohol dehydrogenase Adh1 and aldehyde reductase AKR1A4Duncan M Short
Department of Bioscience, University of Strathclyde, 204 George Street, Glasgow, G1 1XW Scotland, UK
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 210:163-70. 2006..muconaldehyde reductase activity independent of Adh1, and one enzyme was identified as the NADPH-dependent aldehyde reductase AKR1A4. This showed a Vmax of 115 nmol/min/mg and a Km of 15+/-2 microM and was not inhibited by pyrazole.
- Asymmetric reduction of ethyl 4-chloro-3-oxobutanoate to ethyl (R)-4-chloro-3-hydroxybutanoate with two co-existing, recombinant Escherichia coli strainsYing Liu
Department of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, Institute of Bioengineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, 310027, P R China
Biotechnol Lett 27:119-25. 2005..coli M15 (pQE30-gdh0310), which were constructed to express, respectively, an NADPH-dependent aldehyde reductase gene and a glucose dehydrogenase gene, were mixed in an appropriate ratio and used for the asymmetric ..
- Characterization of aldose reductase and aldehyde reductase from the medulla of rat kidneyM Ohta
Division of Biological Chemistry and Biologicals, National Institute of Hygienic Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 38:1639-43. 1990Aldose reductase and aldehyde reductase from the medulla of the rat kidney have been purified to homogeneity by using affinity chromatography, gel filtration and chromatofocusing...
- Structure-activity relations on [1-(3,5-difluoro-4-hydroxyphenyl)-1H-pyrrol-3-yl]phenylmethanone. The effect of methoxy substitution on aldose reductase inhibitory activity and selectivityMaria Chatzopoulou
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece
Bioorg Med Chem 19:1426-33. 2011..On this basis, compounds 4b-c and 5a-c were synthesized and assayed for aldose and aldehyde reductase inhibitory activity...
- Genome-wide association analyses of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Chinese identify multiple susceptibility loci and gene-environment interactionsChen Wu
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Nat Genet 44:1090-7. 2012..Our results underscore the direct genetic contribution to ESCC risk, as well as the genetic contribution to ESCC through interaction with alcohol consumption...
- Excessive vitamin A toxicity in mice genetically deficient in either alcohol dehydrogenase Adh1 or Adh3Andrei Molotkov
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Eur J Biochem 269:2607-12. 2002..Here, Adh1, Adh3, and Adh4 null mutant mice have been examined following acute and chronic vitamin A excess...
- X-ray structure of the V301L aldo-keto reductase 1B10 complexed with NADP(+) and the potent aldose reductase inhibitor fidarestat: implications for inhibitor binding and selectivityFrancesc Xavier Ruiz
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Illkirch, France
Chem Biol Interact 202:178-85. 2013..with its low in vivo side effects, was highly selective for aldose reductase (AR or AKR1B1) versus aldehyde reductase (AKR1A1)...
- Genetic polymorphisms of ADH2, ADH3, CYP4502E1 Dra-I and Pst-I, and ALDH2 in Spanish men: lack of association with alcoholism and alcoholic liver diseaseFrancesc Vidal
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari de Tarragona Joan XXIII, C Dr Mallafré Guasch, 4, 43007 Tarragona, Spain
J Hepatol 41:744-50. 2004....
- Growth hormone (GH) action in the developing lung: changes in lung proteins after adenoviral GH overexpressionJason A Beyea
Department of Physiology and Perinatal Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Dev Dyn 234:404-12. 2005..enzymes (nucleotide diphosphate kinase B, Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, glutathione-S-transferase, and aldehyde reductase-1) were increased by the adenoviral expression of mouse GH, as were the concentrations of beta subunit G-..
- Adhesion of Aureobasidium pullulans is controlled by uronic acid based polymers and pullulanJill M Pouliot
Department of Chemical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts 01609, USA
Biomacromolecules 6:1122-31. 2005..33 +/-2.01 nN; alpha = 0.43). Steric interactions alone do not describe the adhesion behavior of this fungus, but they do provide information regarding the length and density of the macromolecules studied...
- Human class IV alcohol dehydrogenase: kinetic mechanism, functional roles and medical relevanceShih Jiun Yin
Department of Biochemistry, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Chem Biol Interact 143:219-27. 2003Human alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) constitutes a complex family. Class IV ADH (ADH4) is characteristic in its epithelial expression in the aerodigestive tract and high V(max) and K(m) for oxidation of ethanol...
- Effect of C7 modifications on benzothiadiazine-1,1-dioxide derivatives on their inhibitory activity and selectivity toward aldose reductaseShuzhen Zhang
Department of Applied Chemistry, Beijing Institute of Technology, Zhongguancun South Street, 100081 Beijing, China
ChemMedChem 8:603-13. 2013..respectively, were found to be the most active and presented excellent selectivity for ALR2 over aldehyde reductase (ALR1)...
- YNL134C from Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a novel protein with aldehyde reductase activity for detoxification of furfural derived from lignocellulosic biomassXianxian Zhao
Institute of Ecological and Environmental Sciences, College of Resources and Environmental Sciences, Sichuan Agricultural University, Wenjiang, Sichuan, People s Republic of China
Yeast 32:409-22. 2015..Enzyme activity assays showed that YNL134C is an NADH-dependent aldehyde reductase, which plays a role in detoxification of furfural to FM...
- Relationship between genetic polymorphisms of alcohol-metabolizing enzymes and changes in risk factors for coronary heart disease associated with alcohol consumptionYoshiaki Hashimoto
Departments of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, University of Tokyo Hospital, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Clin Chem 48:1043-8. 2002....
- Inhibition of alcohol dehydrogenase after 2-propanol exposure in different geographic races of Drosophila mojavensis: lack of evidence for selection at the Adh-2 locusEdward Pfeiler
Centro de Investigacion en Alimentacion y Desarrollo, A C, Unidad Guaymas, Apartado Postal 284, Guaymas, Sonora 85480, Mexico
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 304:159-68. 2005..ADH-1 activity in female ovaries was inhibited less by 2-propanol than ADH-2. These results do not support the hypothesis that 2-propanol acts as a selective factor favoring the Adh-2F allele...
- Associations between ADH gene variants and alcohol phenotypes in Dutch adultsJenny H D A van Beek
Department of Biological Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Twin Res Hum Genet 13:30-42. 2010..SNPs in the ADH gene cluster located on chromosome 4q (n = 491) were subdivided in seven gene sets: ADH5, ADH4, ADH6, ADH1A, ADH1B, ADH1C and ADH7...
- Cloning and sequencing of a processed pseudogene derived from a human class III alcohol dehydrogenase geneY Matsuo
Department of Ecology, Ethology, and Evolution, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign 61820
Am J Hum Genet 46:85-91. 1990..been classified into five previously known loci: ADH1 (18 clones), ADH2 (20 clones), and ADH3 class I (16 clones), ADH4 class II (4 clones), and ADH5 class III (1 clone)...
- Toward aldehyde and alkane production by removing aldehyde reductase activity in Escherichia coliGabriel M Rodriguez
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Metab Eng 25:227-37. 2014..Elucidation of the ALRs found in E. coli could guide one in reducing competing alcohol formation during alkane or aldehyde production. ..
- Molecular phylogeny and divergence times of drosophilid speciesC A Russo
Institute of Molecular Evolutionary Genetics, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Mol Biol Evol 12:391-404. 1995..melanogaster groups apparently diverged about 25 Mya. Many of the D. repleta group species studied here have two functional Adh genes (Adh-1 and Adh-2), and these duplicated genes can be explained by two duplication events...
- Regulatory elements involved in Drosophila Adh gene expression are conserved in divergent species and separate elements mediate expression in different tissuesJ A Fischer
EMBO J 5:1275-89. 1986....
- Protection against aflatoxin B1-induced cytotoxicity by expression of the cloned aflatoxin B1-aldehyde reductases rat AKR7A1 and human AKR7A3Sridevi Bodreddigari
Department of Biology and W Harry Feinstone Center for Genomic Research, University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee 38152, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 21:1134-42. 2008..B 1 (AFB 1) dialdehyde metabolite to its corresponding mono and dialcohols, catalyzed by aflatoxin B 1-aldehyde reductase (AFAR, rat AKR7A1, and human AKR7A3), is greatly increased in livers of rats treated with numerous ..
- Direct enzyme assay evidence confirms aldehyde reductase function of Ydr541cp and Ygl039wp from Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJaewoong Moon
Bioenergy Research Unit, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, USDA ARS, Peoria, IL, USA
Yeast 32:399-407. 2015The aldehyde reductase gene ARI1 is a recently characterized member of an intermediate subfamily within the short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase (SDR) superfamily that clarified mechanisms of in situ detoxification of 2-furaldehyde and 5-..
- Inhibition of human alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases by aspirin and salicylate: Assessment of the effects on first-pass metabolism of ethanolShou Lun Lee
Department of Biological Science and Technology, China Medical University, 91 Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung 40402, Taiwan Electronic address
Biochem Pharmacol 95:71-9. 2015..salicylate of ethanol oxidation by recombinant human ADH1A, ADH1B1, ADH1B2, ADH1B3, ADH1C1, ADH1C2, ADH2, and ADH4, and acetaldehyde oxidation by ALDH1A1 and ALDH2, at pH 7.5 and 0.5mM NAD(+)...
- Correlation of binding constants and molecular modelling of inhibitors in the active sites of aldose reductase and aldehyde reductaseVincenzo Carbone
Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Action, Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University, 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Bioorg Med Chem 17:1244-50. 2009..and correlate inhibitor potency and binding energies of the complexes with ALR2 and the homologous aldehyde reductase (ALR1), another member of the AKR superfamily...
- A non-synonymous variant in ADH1B is strongly associated with prenatal alcohol use in a European sample of pregnant womenLuisa Zuccolo
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Hum Mol Genet 18:4457-66. 2009..We confirmed the established association of rs1229984 with reduced alcohol consumption over the life-course, contributing new evidence of an effect before and during pregnancy...
- Resistance to aflatoxin B1 is associated with the expression of a novel aldo-keto reductase which has catalytic activity towards a cytotoxic aldehyde-containing metabolite of the toxinJ D Hayes
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 53:3887-94. 1993..Therefore, this inducible enzyme has been designated aflatoxin B1-aldehyde reductase (AFB1-AR)...
- Aldose and aldehyde reductases from human kidney cortex and medullaB Robinson
Department of Biochemstry, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131
Biochim Biophys Acta 1203:260-6. 1993Aldose reductase and aldehyde reductase were purified to homogeneity from multiple samples of human kidney cortex and medulla...
- High and complementary expression patterns of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases in the gastrointestinal tract: implications for Parkinson's diseaseMarie Westerlund
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
FEBS J 274:1212-23. 2007..involvement of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases (ADH; ALDH) by identifying genetic variants in ADH1C and ADH4 that associate with PD...
- Hominids adapted to metabolize ethanol long before human-directed fermentationMatthew A Carrigan
Department of Natural Sciences, Santa Fe College, Gainesville, FL 32606 Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, Gainesville, FL 32604 and
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112:458-63. 2015..Here, we resurrect digestive alcohol dehydrogenases (ADH4) from our primate ancestors to explore the history of primate-ethanol interactions...
- Metabolism of Nω -methylserotonin, a serotonergic constituent of black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa, L. (Nutt.)), by human liver microsomesDejan Nikolic
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, UIC NIH Center for Botanical Dietary Supplements Research, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 833 S Wood St, Chicago, IL, 60612 7231, USA
Biomed Chromatogr 28:1647-51. 2014..acid by the action of microsomal aldehyde dehydrogenase or reduced to 5-hydroxy tryptophol by the action of aldehyde reductase. The cytochrome P450 enzymes had only a minor role in the metabolism of Nω -methylserotonin and then only ..
- Effect of pentachlorophenol and 2,6-dichloro-4-nitrophenol on the activity of cDNA-expressed human alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenasesRonny Kollock
German Institute of Human Nutrition DIfE Potsdam Rehbruecke, Department of Nutritional Toxicology, 14558 Nuthetal, Germany
Toxicol Lett 191:360-4. 2009..4 microM, K(i)' 5.2 microM, mixed-type) and ADH2 (K(i) 3.7 microM, competitive), but moderate for ADH4 (K(i) 81 microM, competitive) and ADH1C (K(i)' 310 microM, uncompetitive)...
- Similarity of Escherichia coli propanediol oxidoreductase (fucO product) and an unusual alcohol dehydrogenase from Zymomonas mobilis and Saccharomyces cerevisiaeT Conway
School of Biological Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln 68588 0118
J Bacteriol 171:3754-9. 1989..7% identity with the iron-containing alcohol dehydrogenase II from Zymomonas mobilis and 39.5% identity with ADH4 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Characterization of a microsomal retinol dehydrogenase gene from amphioxus: retinoid metabolism before vertebratesD Dalfo
Departament de Genetica, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Av Diagonal, 645, E 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Chem Biol Interact 130:359-70. 2001..Nevertheless, recent data show that the vertebrate-ADH1 and ADH4 retinol-active forms originated after the divergence of cephalochordates and vertebrates...
- Identification of hepatic biomarkers for physiological imbalance of dairy cows in early and mid lactation using proteomic technologyK M Moyes
Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, Aarhus University, DK 8830 Tjele, Denmark
J Dairy Sci 96:3599-610. 2013..Despite the small sample size (n=3/group), the results lay a foundation for future research focused on the usefulness of the hepatic biomarkers for predicting PI and thereby cows at risk for disease during lactation...
- In vitro inhibition of lens aldose reductase by (2-benzyl-2,3,4,5-tetrahydro-1H-pyrido[4,3-b]indole-8-yl)-acetic acid in enzyme preparations isolated from diabetic ratsP O Djoubissie
Institute of Experimental Pharmacology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 84104 Bratislava 4, Slovakia
Gen Physiol Biophys 25:415-25. 2006..In testing for selectivity, comparisons to rat kidney aldehyde reductase, an enzyme with the highest homology to aldose reductase, was used...
- Cloning, overexpression, and mutagenesis of the Sporobolomyces salmonicolor AKU4429 gene encoding a new aldehyde reductase, which catalyzes the stereoselective reduction of ethyl 4-chloro-3-oxobutanoate to ethyl (S)-4-chloro-3-hydroxybutanoateK Kita
Department of Biotechnology, Tottori University, 4 101 Koyama, Tottori 680 8552, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:5207-11. 1999We cloned and sequenced the gene encoding an NADPH-dependent aldehyde reductase (ARII) in Sporobolomyces salmonicolor AKU4429, which reduces ethyl 4-chloro-3-oxobutanoate (4-COBE) to ethyl (S)-4-chloro-3-hydroxybutanoate...
- Characterization and cofactor binding mechanism of a novel NAD(P)H-dependent aldehyde reductase from Klebsiella pneumoniae DSM2026Cheng Wei Ma
School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116024, China
J Microbiol Biotechnol 23:1699-707. 2013..In this paper, the yqhD gene from Klebsiella pneumoniae DSM2026, which was found encoding an aldehyde reductase (KpAR), was cloned and characterized...
- Large-scale reverse genetics in Arabidopsis: case studies from the Chloroplast 2010 ProjectImad Ajjawi
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Plant Physiol 152:529-40. 2010..fatty acid desaturation phenotypes associated with mutants of At1g10310, previously described as a pterin aldehyde reductase in folate metabolism...
- The NADP-linked aldehyde reductase from Trypanosoma cruzi: subcellular localization and some propertiesS Arauzo
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquimicas Fundacion Campomar, Buenos Aires, Argentina
FEMS Microbiol Lett 49:283-6. 1989NADP-linked aldehyde reductase (AR; EC 1.1.1...
- Polymorphism of the human alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (ADH4) promoter affects gene expressionH J Edenberg
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5122, USA
Pharmacogenetics 9:25-30. 1999The human alcohol dehydrogenase 4 gene (ADH4) encodes the human pi-alcohol dehydrogenase (pi-ADH), which can contribute to ethanol metabolism at moderate and high concentrations of ethanol...
- Inhibition of aldose reductase by dietary antioxidant curcumin: mechanism of inhibition, specificity and significanceP Muthenna
Biochemistry Division, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad 500 604, India
FEBS Lett 583:3637-42. 2009..but is a poor inhibitor of closely-related members of the aldo-keto reductase superfamily, particularly aldehyde reductase. Results from molecular docking studies are consistent with the pattern of inhibition of ALR2 by curcumin ..
- The structure and function of yeast xylose (aldose) reductasesH Lee
University of Guelph, Department of Environmental Biology, Ontario, Canada
Yeast 14:977-84. 1998..sequences of yeast xylose reductases with the much better characterized human aldose reductase and human aldehyde reductase reveals that the yeast enzymes are hybrids between aldo-keto reductases and the short chain dehydrogenases/..
- In vivo glycation of aldehyde reductase, a major 3-deoxyglucosone reducing enzyme: identification of glycation sitesM Takahashi
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Biochemistry 34:1433-8. 1995..3-DG), a major intermediate and a potent cross-linker in the Maillard reaction, is identical with aldehyde reductase [Takahashi, M., Fujii, J., Teshima, T., Suzuki, K., Shiba, T., & Taniguchi, N. (1993) Gene 127, 249-253]...
- Production of medium chain length fatty alcohols from glucose in Escherichia coliJ Tyler Youngquist
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, 3629 Engineering Hall, 1415 Engineering Drive, Madison, WI 53706, United States Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, United States
Metab Eng 20:177-86. 2013..1-dodecanol and 1-tetradecanol, an acyl-ACP thioesterase (BTE), an acyl-CoA ligase (FadD), and an acyl-CoA/aldehyde reductase (MAACR) were overexpressed in an engineered strain of Escherichia coli...
- Competing roles of cytochrome P450 1A1/1B1 and aldo-keto reductase 1A1 in the metabolic activation of (+/-)-7,8-dihydroxy-7,8-dihydro-benzo[a]pyrene in human bronchoalveolar cell extractsHao Jiang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 18:365-74. 2005..TCDD) to express P450 1A1/P450 1B1 or by stable transfection to express AKR1A1 (aldehyde reductase). TCDD induction of AKR1A1 transfectants provided a cell line that expressed both pathways...
- Structure of aldehyde reductase holoenzyme in complex with the potent aldose reductase inhibitor fidarestat: implications for inhibitor binding and selectivityOssama El-Kabbani
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University Parkville Campus, 381 Royal Parade, VIC 3052, Australia Ossama El Kabbani vcp monash edu au
J Med Chem 48:5536-42. 2005Structure determination of porcine aldehyde reductase holoenzyme in complex with the potent aldose reductase inhibitor fidarestat was carried out to explain the difference in the potency of the inhibitor for aldose and aldehyde reductases...
- Efficient production of recombinant aldehyde reductase and its application for asymmetric reduction of ethyl 4-chloro-3-oxobutanoate to ethyl (R)-4-chloro-3-hydroxybutanoateKeju Jing
Institute of Bioengineering, Department of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, PR China
Prep Biochem Biotechnol 35:203-15. 2005An NADPH-dependent aldehyde reductase (ALR, EC126.96.36.199) gene is cloned from Sporobolomyces salmonicolor ZJUB 105, and inserted into plasmid pQE30 to construct the expression plasmid (pQE30-ALR). A variety of E...
- Multiplicity of mammalian reductases for xenobiotic carbonyl compoundsToshiyuki Matsunaga
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 21:1-18. 2006..member 4, 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1, L-xylulose reductase, two types of aflatoxin B1 aldehyde reductase, 20alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, and three types of 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase...
- Protein Modification by 3,4-DihydroxyphenylacetaldehydeJONATHAN DOORN; Fiscal Year: 2006..metabolized primarily to an acid via mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) but also to an alcohol by aldehyde reductase (ALR). Recent work implicates oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation products, e.g...
- ALDO-KETO REDUCTASES AS PART OF CHEMICAL STRESS RESPONSEOleg Barski; Fiscal Year: 2002..Recently it was shown that ethoxyquin and antiobiotic tunicamycin also induce aldehyde reductase, another member of the aldo-keto reductase family...
- STRUCTURAL IDENTIFICATION OF PROSTAGLANDIN CONJUGATESL Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2000..The ability of PGF-synthase and liver aldehyde reductase to reduce IsoP endoperoxides to F-ring IsoP's will also be examined...
- Molecular Mechanisms of Multistage CarcinogenesisTREVOR PENNING; Fiscal Year: 2006..Project # 1 (Dr. Penning) will compare the roles of human aldehyde reductase (AKR1A1), CYP1A1/CYP1B1, and CYP-peroxidase in the metabolic activation of PAH using a stable expression ..
- ALCOHOL METABOLISM GENES IN TRANSGENIC MICEMichael Felder; Fiscal Year: 2007..alcohol-induced liver damage Distal cis-linked sequence in a BAC clone will direct expression of Adh1 in liver and Adh4 in stomach No sequence directing liver expression of any human class I ADH gene is known...
- STRUCTURE & EXPRESSION OF MAMMAL ALC DEHYDROGENASE GENESHoward Edenberg; Fiscal Year: 2000..The ADH4, ADH5, ADH6 and ADH7 genes have different patterns of expression, and produce enzymes (PI-ADH, X-ADH, ADH6 and ..
- Animal Model to Study Retinoic Acid Function in Postnatal and Adult TissuesGREGG L DUESTER; Fiscal Year: 2012..e. retinol dehydrogenase-10 (RDH10) and two alcohol dehydrogenases (ADH3 and ADH4)...
- Enzyme & Receptor Antagonists of GHB, GBL & 1, 4-BDLawrence Quang; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this study will expand upon promising data from pilot studies performed in this laboratory on acute 1,4-BD and GHB toxicity as well as novel therapeutic agents for its potential medical management. ..
- Diet, gene-diet interactions and risk of Parkinson'sHonglei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..NHS cohorts, he will evaluate the associations of PD risk with common polymorphisms of NAT2, CYP1A2, ADH2, ADH3, ADH4, and MTHFR...
- Alcohol in Israel: Genetic and Environmental EffectsDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..ADH3 and promoters of ADH4 and ALDH2 will also be studied. Psychiatric comorbidity, religiosity and trauma will be assessed and controlled...
- Retinoid Dehydrogenases Involved in Eye DevelopmentGREGG L DUESTER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- GENETIC DISSECTION OF ALCOHOL/RETINOL METABOLIC PATHWAYSGregg Duester; Fiscal Year: 2002..3) Prepare and ALDH-I knockout mouse plus mice mutated for one or more ADHs and ALDH-I, then analyze their phenotype as above. ..
- Oxidative Stress, VEGF and RetinopathyDAVID VANDER JAGT; Fiscal Year: 2004..It provides a testable model that connects hyperglycemia-> oxidative stress-> growth factors-> diabetic retinopathy. ..
- SPECIFICITY AND FUNCTION OF ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASESBRYCE PLAPP; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Dynamic and Catalysis by Alcohol DehydrogenasesBRYCE PLAPP; Fiscal Year: 2009..Design of better inhibitors for treating the pathology of alcoholism depends on understanding the dynamics of catalysis by the rate-limiting enzyme in the pathway of alcohol metabolism. ..
- Association and Function of Opioid Receptor Gene Variants to Substance DependenceHuiping Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2008..Jeffrey Gruen (co-mentor), who are both excellent supervisors with substantial experience in genetic studies of complex disorders and who have both mentored numerous previous trainees. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Investigating the Molecular Mechanism of Hexose-induced Stress in Lens and RetinaPeter F Kador; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, these studies should help identify new drug targets for the treatment of these diabetic complications. ..
- Fine-mapping the risk loci for alcoholism in ADH gene cluster and ALDH2 geneXingguang Luo; Fiscal Year: 2010..In a word, this study will identify some risk genes for alcohol dependence, helping us better understand the etiology of alcohol dependence and provide potential targets for new drugs. ..
- GENETICS OF COCAINE DEPENDENCEJoel Gelernter; Fiscal Year: 2010..The project will also contribute to a substantial increase in our understanding of the mechanisms of CD, and may lead to new approaches to the prevention and treatment of this pervasive societal problem. ..
- Alcohol Dependence Genetics in a Large Chinese PedigreeJoel Gelernter; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will improve understanding of the genes that influence risk for alcohol dependence, in Chinese populations, and in comparison with European-American populations. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alzheimer's Disease DrugsDAVID VANDER JAGT; Fiscal Year: 2008..Versatile schemes to synthesize analogs of resveratrol have been developed. The Specific Aim of this proposal is to test resveratrol and analogs in an animal model of Alzheimer's disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RESEARCH TRAINING FOR VETERINARIANS: ANIMAL MODELSJohn Sundberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..The investigators ask to maintain the three slots currently funded. This program is designed to meet the increasing demand for scientists in functional genomics research. ..
- Alcohol: Direct and Indirect Effects in Drug MetabolismTHOMAS BADGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- SPECIES SUSCEPTIBILITY TO DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSKENNETH GABBAY; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Alopecia and Ulcerative Dermatitis in B6 MiceJohn Sundberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..B6 mice are naturally hypomorphic for alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (Adh4), which may be involved in detoxifying vitamin A metabolites resulting in these enzyme expression ..
- Multifunctional Antioxidants as Anti-Cataract AgentsPeter Kador; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALDO/KETO REDUCTASES AND DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSKENNETH GABBAY; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract): Aldose and aldehyde reductase are closely related members of the aldo-keto reductase superfamily...
- PATHOLOGY OF THE LABORATORY MOUSEJohn Sundberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..The Workshop will accommodate 16 participants who will have an opportunity to interact with a group of prominent mouse pathologists and geneticists from both TJL, and other leading institutions. ..
- GENETICS OF COCAINE INDUCED PSYCHOSISJoel Gelernter; Fiscal Year: 2003..This program of research will improve our understanding of the genetics underlying human brain responses to chronic cocaine exposure, thus leading to better diagnosis and treatments for cocaine dependence and other addictive disorders. ..
- Approaches to the Genetics of Substance DependenceJoel Gelernter; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal would permit the PI to make a major investment in mentorship, and allow a broadening of his research program in substance dependence. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..