Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ABCA1
Description: ATP binding cassette subfamily A member 1
Alias: ABC-1, ABC1, CERP, HDLDT1, TGD, ATP-binding cassette sub-family A member 1, ATP-binding cassette transporter A1, ATP-binding cassette, sub-family A (ABC1), member 1, cholesterol efflux regulatory protein, membrane-bound
Publications331 found, 100 shown here
- HIV-1 Nef mobilizes lipid rafts in macrophages through a pathway that competes with ABCA1-dependent cholesterol effluxHuanhuan L Cui
Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
J Lipid Res 53:696-708. 2012HIV infection, through the actions of viral accessory protein Nef, impairs activity of cholesterol transporter ABCA1, inhibiting cholesterol efflux from macrophages and elevating the risk of atherosclerosis...
- Genetic variation in ABCA1 predicts ischemic heart disease in the general populationRuth Frikke-Schmidt
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:180-6. 2008We tested the hypothesis that 6 nonsynonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in ATP-Binding-Cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) affect risk of ischemic heart disease (IHD) in the general population.
- Interleukin-10 inhibits the down-regulation of ATP binding cassette transporter A1 by tumour necrosis factor-alpha in THP-1 macrophage-derived foam cellsChun li Mei
Department of Cardiology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1277 Jie Fang Avenue, Wuhan, Hubei Province 430022, China
Cell Biol Int 31:1456-61. 2007It is suggested that cholesterol efflux mediated by ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) plays an important role in anti-atherogenesis...
- ATP-binding cassette A1-mediated lipidation of apolipoprotein A-I occurs at the plasma membrane and not in the endocytic compartmentsMaxime Denis
Ottawa Health Research Institute, and Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4E9, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:16178-86. 2008..This process is proposed to occur through a retro-endocytosis pathway in which apoA-I internalizes with ABCA1 and generates HDL from the endosomal compartments before resecretion...
- Niacin increases HDL biogenesis by enhancing DR4-dependent transcription of ABCA1 and lipidation of apolipoprotein A-I in HepG2 cellsLin Hua Zhang
Atherosclerosis Research Center, Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, Long Beach, CA, USA
J Lipid Res 53:941-50. 2012..Niacin dose-dependently stimulated the cell efflux of phospholipid and cholesterol and increased transcription of ABCA1 gene and ABCA1 protein...
- Molecular and cellular physiology of apolipoprotein A-I lipidation by the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1)Maxime Denis
Cardiovascular Genetics Laboratory, Cardiology Division, McGill University Health Center, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1A1, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:7384-94. 2004The dynamics of ABCA1-mediated apoA-I lipidation were investigated in intact human fibroblasts induced with 22(R)-hydroxycholesterol and 9-cis-retinoic acid (stimulated cells)...
- Relationships between common polymorphisms of adenosine triphosphate-binding cassette transporter A1 and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and coronary heart disease in a population with type 2 diabetes mellitusIsabelle Porchay-Baldérelli
INSERM U695, Genetic Determinants for Type 2 Diabetes and Its Vascular Complications, Xavier Bichat Medical School, 16 rue Henri Huchard, 75018 Paris, France
Metabolism 58:74-9. 2009..The adenosine triphosphate-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) plays a key role in HDL metabolism...
- Cardioprotective role of the mitochondrial ATP-binding cassette protein 1Hossein Ardehali
Division of Cardiology, Feinberg Cardiovascular Institute, Northwestern University, Chicago, Ill, USA
Circ Res 97:740-2. 2005..These results support the notion that mABC1 protein plays a major role in cellular protection against oxidant stress, identifying mABC1 as a novel target for cardioprotective therapeutics...
- The influence of two variants in the adenosine triphosphate-binding cassette transporter 1 gene on plasma lipids and carotid atherosclerosisAnton Sandhofer
Department of Internal Medicine I, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Metabolism 57:1398-404. 2008Variants in the adenosine triphosphate-binding-cassette transporter 1 (ABCA1) gene are known to affect high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma triglycerides and the development of atherosclerosis...
- Advanced glycation end product precursors impair ABCA1-dependent cholesterol removal from cellsMarisa Passarelli
Department of Medicine, Box 356426, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6426, USA
Diabetes 54:2198-205. 2005..The ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) is an atheroprotective cell protein that mediates cholesterol transport from cells to apolipoprotein (apo) A-I, ..
- Effects of ABCA1 variants on rosiglitazone monotherapy in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes patientsJie Wang
Shanghai Diabetes Institute, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Affiliated Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai 200233, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 29:252-8. 2008..to investigate the relationship between R219K, M883I, and R1587K variants of the ATP-binding cassette transporter subfamily A number 1 (ABCA1) gene and response to rosiglitazone treatment in newly diagnosed patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Phosphorylation of a pest sequence in ABCA1 promotes calpain degradation and is reversed by ApoA-ILaurent O Martinez
Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 278:37368-74. 2003ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), the defective molecule in Tangier disease, mediates the apoAI-dependent efflux of excess cholesterol from cells...
- ABCA1 and ABCG1 or ABCG4 act sequentially to remove cellular cholesterol and generate cholesterol-rich HDLAshley M Vaughan
Department of Medicine, Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6426, USA
J Lipid Res 47:2433-43. 2006..b>ABCA1 mediates the transport of cholesterol and phospholipids from cells to lipid-poor apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I), ..
- Glycosphingolipid accumulation inhibits cholesterol efflux via the ABCA1/apolipoprotein A-I pathway: 1-phenyl-2-decanoylamino-3-morpholino-1-propanol is a novel cholesterol efflux acceleratorElias N Glaros
Centre for Vascular Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales 2052, Australia
J Biol Chem 280:24515-23. 2005..ApoA-I-mediated cholesterol efflux via ABCA1 (ATP-binding cassette transporter A1) is a key regulator of cellular cholesterol balance...
- Mutation of the ATP cassette binding transporter A1 (ABCA1) C-terminus disrupts HIV-1 Nef binding but does not block the Nef enhancement of ABCA1 protein degradationZahedi Mujawar
Lipid Metabolism Unit, Center for Computational and Integrative Biology, Richard B Simches Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge Street, 7th Floor 7150, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Biochemistry 49:8338-49. 2010..The HIV-1 Nef protein can impair ATP cassette binding transporter A1 (ABCA1) cholesterol efflux from macrophages, a potentially pro-atherosclerotic effect...
- Phosphorylation by protein kinase CK2 modulates the activity of the ATP binding cassette A1 transporterStein Roosbeek
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Biol Chem 279:37779-88. 2004..To study the possible regulation of the ABCA1 transporter by CK2, we expressed the recombinant cytoplasmic domains of ABCA1, NBD1+R1 and NBD2+R2...
- Functional implications of the influence of ABCA1 on lipid microenvironment at the plasma membrane: a biophysical studyAna Zarubica
Centre d immunologie de Marseille Luminy, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite de la Mediterranee, Parc Scientifique de Luminy Case 906, 13288 Marseille, Cedex 09 France
FASEB J 23:1775-85. 2009The ABCA1 transporter orchestrates cellular lipid homeostasis by promoting the release of cholesterol to plasmatic acceptors. The molecular mechanism is, however, unknown...
- Dominant expression of ATP-binding cassette transporter-1 on basolateral surface of Caco-2 cells stimulated by LXR/RXR ligandsTohru Ohama
Department of Internal Medicine and Molecular Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 296:625-30. 2002ATP-binding cassette transporter-1 (ABCA1) is a cause of Tangier disease, which is a familial deficiency of plasma high density lipoproteins (HDL)...
- The association of the R219K polymorphism in the ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 ( ABCA1) gene with coronary heart disease and hyperlipidaemiaDavid Evans
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin, Medizinische Klinik I, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246, Hamburg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 81:264-70. 2003The R219K polymorphism in the ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 gene ( ABCA1) has been associated with reduced severity of atherosclerosis, fewer coronary events, decreased triglycerides and a trend to increased HDL in men with coronary ..
- Expression, regulation, and activity of ABCA1 in human cell linesMaxime Denis
Cardiovascular Genetics Laboratory, McGill University Health Center, Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Mol Genet Metab 78:265-74. 2003Mutations in the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) gene cause familial high-density lipoprotein deficiency and Tangier disease...
- A common Ile 823 Met variant of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 gene (ABCA1) alters high density lipoprotein cholesterol level in Japanese populationTomohiro Harada
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Atherosclerosis 169:105-12. 2003Recently, variants in ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) were demonstrated to be associated with increased level of high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and decreased risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) in Caucasians...
- The type III inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor preferentially transmits apoptotic Ca2+ signals into mitochondriaCarolina C P Mendes
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, 31270 901, Brazil
J Biol Chem 280:40892-900. 2005..These findings provide evidence that the type III isoform of the InsP(3)R plays a special role in induction of apoptosis by preferentially transmitting Ca(2+) signals into mitochondria...
- Common coding polymorphisms in the ABCA1 gene and risk of early-onset coronary heart disease in northern GermanyAlmut Nebel
Atherosclerosis 193:458-60. 2007
- ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 gene I823M polymorphism affects plasma high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level and modifies the effect of low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol on the risk of coronary artery diseaseChia Ti Tsai
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Cardiology 107:321-8. 2007The I823M polymorphism of the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) gene has been reported to affect plasma high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) level...
- The macrophage cholesterol exporter ABCA1 functions as an anti-inflammatory receptorChongren Tang
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Biol Chem 284:32336-43. 2009ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) is a cell membrane protein that exports excess cholesterol from cells to apolipoprotein (apo) A-I, the major protein in high density lipoproteins...
- The polymorphism of the ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 gene modulates Alzheimer disease risk in Chinese Han ethnic populationYi Min Sun
Department of Neurology and Institute of Neurology, Huashan Hospital, Institutes of Brain Science and State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:603-11. 2012..The adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-binding cassette transporter 1 (ABCA1) gene resides within proximity of linkage peaks on chromosome 9q influence AD and plays a key role in cellular ..
- Homocysteine-mediated cholesterol efflux via ABCA1 and ACAT1 DNA methylation in THP-1 monocyte-derived foam cellsYu Liang
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Ningxia Medical University, Yinchuan 750004, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 45:220-8. 2013..ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), which mediates the efflux of cellular cholesterol and phospholipids, is the rate-limiting step in lipid ..
- TGF-beta1 up-regulates expression of ABCA1, ABCG1 and SR-BI through liver X receptor alpha signaling pathway in THP-1 macrophage-derived foam cellsYan wei Hu
Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Key Laboratory for Atherosclerology of Hunan Province, Life Science Research Center, University of South China, Hengyang, Hunan, China
J Atheroscler Thromb 17:493-502. 2010..can promote cholesterol efflux from macrophage foam cells via the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), ABCG1, and scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI)...
- A splice form of polycystin-2, lacking exon 7, does not interact with polycystin-1Karl Hackmann
Institut fur Humangenetik, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 14:3249-62. 2005..The predominant expression in brain indicates a function in this organ. The inability to interact with polycystin-1 expands further the PKD1-independent functions of polycystin-2 forms...
- Decreased frequencies of ABCA1 polymorphisms R219K and V771M in Hungarian patients with cerebrovascular and cardiovascular diseasesHajnalka Andrikovics
Department of Molecular Genetics, National Medical Center, Budapest, Hungary
Cerebrovasc Dis 21:254-9. 2006Genetic polymorphisms in ABC transporter A1 (ABCA1) may alter the regulation of plasma high-density lipoprotein (HDL), promoting or protecting from vascular diseases.
- [Correlation of cholesterol 24-hydroxylase and ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 polymorphisms with Alzheimer's disease]Fen Wang
Department of Neurology, Xuanwu Hospital of Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100053, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:614-8. 2007..SNPs) A-->G in the intron 2 of cholesterol 24-hydroxylase (CYP46) gene and G-->A (R219K) in the exon 6 of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) gene with sporadic Alzheimer's disease (SAD) in the Han Chinese population.
- Human aldehyde oxidase 1 interacts with ATP-binding cassette transporter-1 and modulates its activity in hepatocytesA Sigruener
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Regensburg University Medical Center, Regensburg, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:781-9. 2007AOX1, a member of the cytosolic molybdenum hydroxylase family, has been identified by us earlier as an ABCA1-interacting protein...
- Impaired insulin secretion in four Tangier disease patients with ABCA1 mutationsMasahiro Koseki
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 16:292-6. 2009..Recently, it has been reported that ABCA1 is expressed in pancreatic beta cells and mice with specific inactivation of ABCA1 in beta cells showed markedly ..
- Transition from dimers to higher oligomeric forms occurs during the ATPase cycle of the ABCA1 transporterDoriane Trompier
Centre d immunologie de Marseille Luminy, INSERM, CNRS, UniversitédelaMéditerranée, Parc Scientifique de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
J Biol Chem 281:20283-90. 2006..energy transfer and native PAGE analytical techniques were employed to assess the quaternary structure of ABCA1, an ATP binding cassette transporter playing a crucial role in cellular lipid handling...
- ABCA1, ABCG1 and SR-BI: hormonal regulation in primary rat hepatocytes and human cell linesMarita Sporstøl
Programme for Cell Biology, Department of Molecular Biosciences, University of Oslo, Norway
BMC Mol Biol 8:5. 2007Scavenger receptor type B class I (SR-BI), ABC transporter A1 (ABCA1) -and G1 (ABCG1) all play important roles in the reverse cholesterol transport...
- Hyperglycemia suppresses ABCA1 expression in vascular smooth muscle cellsX Yu
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, Ikenobe Miki cho, Kita gun, Kagawa, Japan
Horm Metab Res 42:241-6. 2010Hyperglycemia is a major risk factor for atherosclerotic disease. The ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) functions as a pivotal regulator of lipid efflux from cells to apolipoproteins and is thus involved in lowering the risk of ..
- Association of loss-of-function mutations in the ABCA1 gene with high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and risk of ischemic heart diseaseRuth Frikke-Schmidt
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Rigshospitalet, Herlev Hospital
JAMA 299:2524-32. 2008..Low levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol are inversely related to cardiovascular risk. Whether this is a causal effect is unclear...
- Apolipoprotein A-I activates protein kinase C alpha signaling to phosphorylate and stabilize ATP binding cassette transporter A1 for the high density lipoprotein assemblyYoshio Yamauchi
Department of Biochemistry, Cell Biology, and Metabolism, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kawasumi 1, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:47890-7. 2003ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) plays an essential role in the helical apolipoprotein-mediated assembly of high density lipoprotein, and the apolipoporteins stabilize ABCA1 against calpain-mediated degradation during the ..
- Anticancer activity of the cholesterol exporter ABCA1 geneBradley Smith
Department of Biomedical Genetics, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Cell Rep 2:580-90. 2012The ABCA1 protein mediates the transfer of cellular cholesterol across the plasma membrane to apolipoprotein A-I...
- Association of the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 R230C variant with early-onset type 2 diabetes in a Mexican populationM Teresa Villarreal-Molina
Unidad de Biología Molecular y Medicina Genómica, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Vasco de Quiroga 15 Colonia Sección 16, Tlalpan 14000, Mexico D F
Diabetes 57:509-13. 2008The ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) R230C variant is associated with low HDL cholesterol levels, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome in Mexican-Mestizos...
- Efflux of sphingomyelin, cholesterol, and phosphatidylcholine by ABCG1Aya Kobayashi
Laboratory of Cellular Biochemistry, Division of Applied Life Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
J Lipid Res 47:1791-802. 2006..Mass and TLC analyses revealed that ABCG1 and ABCA1 secrete several species of sphingomyelin (SM) and phosphatidylcholine (PC), and SMs were preferentially secreted ..
- Carbohydrate intake modulates the effect of the ABCA1-R230C variant on HDL cholesterol concentrations in premenopausal womenSandra Romero-Hidalgo
Computational Genomics Department, Instituto Nacional de Medicina Genomica, Mexico City, Mexico
J Nutr 142:278-83. 2012The R230C variant of the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) gene has been consistently associated with decreased HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C) concentrations in several studies in the Mexican mestizo population...
- Interleukin-18 and interleukin-12 together downregulate ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 expression through the interleukin-18R/nuclear factor-κB signaling pathway in THP-1 macrophage-derived foam cellsXiao hua Yu
Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Key Laboratory for Atherosclerology of Hunan Province, Life Science Research Center, University of South China, Hengyang, Hunan, China
Circ J 76:1780-91. 2012..synergize for the production of interferon (IFN)-γ, which can downregulate ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) expression. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of IL-18 and/or IL-12 on ABCA1 expression.
- Mutations in ABC1 in Tangier disease and familial high-density lipoprotein deficiencyA Brooks-Wilson
Xenon Bioresearch Inc, NRC Innovation Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Nat Genet 22:336-45. 1999..This indicates that the protein encoded by ABC1 is a key gatekeeper influencing intracellular cholesterol transport, hence we have named it cholesterol efflux regulatory protein (CERP).
- Effects of apolipoprotein A-I on ATP-binding cassette transporter A1-mediated efflux of macrophage phospholipid and cholesterol: formation of nascent high density lipoprotein particlesLijuan Liu
Gastrointestinal Nutrition Division, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4318, USA
J Biol Chem 278:42976-84. 2003..of formation of high density lipoprotein (HDL) particles by the action of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) is not defined completely...
- Multiple rare alleles contribute to low plasma levels of HDL cholesterolJonathan C Cohen
Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center and McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, 75390, USA
Science 305:869-72. 2004..We sequenced three candidate genes (ABCA1, APOA1, and LCAT) that cause Mendelian forms of low HDL-C levels in individuals from a population-based study...
- The C-terminal lipid-binding domain of apolipoprotein E is a highly efficient mediator of ABCA1-dependent cholesterol efflux that promotes the assembly of high-density lipoproteinsCharulatha Vedhachalam
GI Nutrition Division, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4318, USA
Biochemistry 46:2583-93. 2007..of human apoE that mediate cellular cholesterol efflux and HDL assembly via ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1)...
- Molecular cloning of the human ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 (hABC1): evidence for sterol-dependent regulation in macrophagesT Langmann
Institute for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, 93042, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 257:29-33. 1999..Our data, demonstrating sterol-dependent regulation of hABC1 in human monocytes/macrophages, suggest a novel role for this transporter molecule in membrane lipid transport...
- The gene encoding ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 is mutated in Tangier diseaseM Bodzioch
Institute for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University of Regensburg, Germany
Nat Genet 22:347-51. 1999..The TD locus has been mapped to chromosome 9q31. Here we present evidence that TD is caused by mutations in ABC1, encoding a member of the ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter family, located on chromosome 9q22-31...
- A PEST sequence in ABCA1 regulates degradation by calpain protease and stabilization of ABCA1 by apoA-INan Wang
Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 111:99-107. 2003Cholesterol-loaded macrophage foam cells are a central component of atherosclerotic lesions. ABCA1, the defective molecule in Tangier disease, mediates the efflux of phospholipids and cholesterol from cells to apoA-I, reversing foam cell ..
- ABCA1 expression in carotid atherosclerotic plaquesC Albrecht
MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London, UK
Stroke 35:2801-6. 2004The ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) facilitates cholesterol efflux from cells, a key process in reverse cholesterol transport...
- Functional polymorphism in ABCA1 influences age of symptom onset in coronary artery disease patientsTheodosios Kyriakou
Human Genetics Division, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, UK
Hum Mol Genet 16:1412-22. 2007ATP-binding-cassette-transporter-A1 (ABCA1) plays a pivotal role in intracellular cholesterol removal, exerting a protective effect against atherosclerosis...
- High glucose, unsaturated and saturated fatty acids differentially regulate expression of ATP-binding cassette transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1 in human macrophagesRichard Mauerer
Synlab Medical Care Service, Medical Care Centre Weiden, Zur Kesselschmiede 4, 92637 Weiden, Germany
Exp Mol Med 41:126-32. 2009The ATP-binding cassette transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1 are highly expressed in macrophage-derived foam cells and promote reverse cholesterol efflux via biogenesis of high-density lipoproteins...
- Tangier disease is caused by mutations in the gene encoding ATP-binding cassette transporter 1S Rust
Institut für Arterioskleroseforschung an der Westfälischen Wilhelms Universität Münster, Germany
Nat Genet 22:352-5. 1999..and D9S1866 on chromosome 9q31, in which we found the gene encoding human ATP cassette-binding transporter 1 (ABC1)...
- Association of ABCA1 with syntaxin 13 and flotillin-1 and enhanced phagocytosis in tangier cellsSalim Maa Bared
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University of Regensburg, 93040 Regensburg, Germany
Mol Biol Cell 15:5399-407. 2004The ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) facilitates the cellular release of cholesterol and choline-phospholipids to apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I) and several studies indicate that vesicular transport is associated with ABCA1 ..
- Common polymorphisms of ATP binding cassette transporter A1, including a functional promoter polymorphism, associated with plasma high density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in TurksUgur Hodoglugil
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, 1650 Owens Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Atherosclerosis 183:199-212. 2005..of atherosclerosis is generally attributed to its role in reverse cholesterol transport, and the ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) is a key element of this process...
- Lack of ABCA1 considerably decreases brain ApoE level and increases amyloid deposition in APP23 miceRadosveta Koldamova
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Biol Chem 280:43224-35. 2005b>ABCA1 (ATP-binding cassette transporter A1) is a major regulator of cholesterol efflux and high density lipoprotein (HDL) metabolism...
- Associations between two common polymorphisms in the ABCA1 gene and subclinical atherosclerosis: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)Jeana L Benton
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Atherosclerosis 193:352-60. 2007b>ABCA1 controls the first step in reverse cholesterol transport...
- Correction of apolipoprotein A-I-mediated lipid efflux and high density lipoprotein particle formation in human Niemann-Pick type C disease fibroblastsEmmanuel Boadu
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:37081-90. 2006..disease results in the first known instance of impaired regulation of the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), a lipid transporter mediating the rate-limiting step in high density lipoprotein (HDL) formation, as a cause of ..
- ABCA1 expression in humans is associated with physical activity and alcohol consumptionAnh Hoang
Baker Heart Research Institute, Commercial Road, PO Box 6492, St Kilda Road Central, Melbourne, VIC 8008, Australia
Atherosclerosis 197:197-203. 2008Genetic variation in ABCA1 significantly affects HDL levels and atherosclerotic risk. The aim of this study was to examine lifestyle factors influencing ABCA1 expression in human leukocytes and skeletal muscle...
- Eicosapentaenoic acid reduces ABCA1 serine phosphorylation and impairs ABCA1-dependent cholesterol efflux through cyclic AMP/protein kinase A signaling pathway in THP-1 macrophage-derived foam cellsYan wei Hu
Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Key Laboratory for Atherosclerology of Hunan Province, Life Science Research Center, University of South China, Hengyang, Hunan 421001 China
Atherosclerosis 204:e35-43. 2009b>ABCA1 is a key mediator of cholesterol efflux to apoA-I in cholesterol loaded macrophages, a first step of RCT in vivo. Unsaturated fatty acids can inhibit cholesterol efflux from macrophages by increasing degradation of ABCA1...
- Carriers of loss-of-function mutations in ABCA1 display pancreatic beta-cell dysfunctionMenno Vergeer
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 33:869-74. 2010..beta-Cell deficiency for the ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), which mediates the efflux of cellular cholesterol, leads to altered intracellular ..
- Common and rare ABCA1 variants affecting plasma HDL cholesterolJ Wang
John P Robarts Research Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:1983-9. 2000Mutations in ABCA1, a member of the ATP-binding cassette family, have been shown to underlie Tangier disease (TD) and familial hypoalphalipoproteinemia (FHA), which are genetic disorders that are characterized by depressed concentrations ..
- ABCA1(Alabama): a novel variant associated with HDL deficiency and premature coronary artery diseaseSeung Ho Hong
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland and Veterans Administration Medical Center, 22 S Greene St, S3B06, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Atherosclerosis 164:245-50. 2002The ATP-binding cassette transporter, ABCA1, is a member of the ABC superfamily of proteins involved in the active transport of substrates across cellular membranes...
- ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 participates in LDL oxidation by artery wall cellsSrinivasa T Reddy
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1877-83. 2002..ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 (ABCA1) is known to facilitate the release of cellular phospholipids and cholesterol from the plasma membrane to apoA-I ..
- Apolipoprotein A-1 interaction with plasma membrane lipid rafts controls cholesterol export from macrophagesKatharina Gaus
Macrophage Biology Group, Centre for Vascular Research, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
FASEB J 18:574-6. 2004..We propose that cholesterol exported to apoA-1 from this major slow efflux pool derives from nonraft regions of the plasma membrane but that the interaction of apoA-1 with lipid rafts is necessary to stimulate this efflux...
- In-depth haplotype analysis of ABCA1 gene polymorphisms in relation to plasma ApoA1 levels and myocardial infarctionDavid Alexandre Tregouet
INSERM U525, Faculté de Médecine de la Pitié Salpétrière, Paris, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:775-81. 2004By regulating the cellular cholesterol efflux from peripheral cells to high-density lipoprotein, the ABCA1 protein is suspected to play a key role in lipid homeostasis and atherosclerosis...
- Headgroup-specific exposure of phospholipids in ABCA1-expressing cellsNele Alder-Baerens
Humboldt University of Berlin, Institute of Biology, Center of Biophysics and Bioinformatics, Invalidenstrasse 42, 10115 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:26321-9. 2005b>ABCA1 has been established to be required for the efflux of cholesterol and phospholipids to apolipoproteins such as apoA-I...
- Cooperation between engulfment receptors: the case of ABCA1 and MEGF10Yannick Hamon
Centre d immunologie de Marseille Luminy, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 1:e120. 2006..of forced expression by transfection, MEGF10 function can be modulated by the ATP binding cassette transporter ABCA1, ortholog to CED-7...
- A novel intronic polymorphism of ABCA1 gene reveals risk for sporadic Alzheimer's disease in ChineseLeung Wing Chu
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:1007-13. 2007Recent genetic studies have shown that variants of the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1, ABCA1, may be implicated in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Human ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 (ABC1): genomic organization and identification of the genetic defect in the original Tangier disease kindredA T Remaley
National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:12685-90. 1999..b>ABC1, a member of the ATP-binding cassette family, recently has been identified as the defective gene in Tangier disease...
- Novel mutations in the gene encoding ATP-binding cassette 1 in four tangier disease kindredsM E Brousseau
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University and Department of Medicine, New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Lipid Res 41:433-41. 2000..These results establish a causal role for mutations in hABC-1 in TD and indicate that this transporter has a critical function in the regulation of intracellular lipid trafficking that dramatically affects plasma HDL cholesterol levels...
- Complete genomic sequence of the human ABCA1 gene: analysis of the human and mouse ATP-binding cassette A promoterS Santamarina-Fojo
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, and Clinical Center, Clinical Pathology Department, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:7987-92. 2000The ABCA1 gene, a member of the ATP-binding cassette A (ABCA1) transporter superfamily, encodes a membrane protein that facilitates the cellular efflux of cholesterol and phospholipids...
- Age and residual cholesterol efflux affect HDL cholesterol levels and coronary artery disease in ABCA1 heterozygotesS M Clee
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Invest 106:1263-70. 2000We and others have recently identified mutations in the ABCA1 gene as the underlying cause of Tangier disease (TD) and of a dominantly inherited form of familial hypoalphalipoproteinemia (FHA) associated with reduced cholesterol efflux...
- Common variants in the gene encoding ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 in men with low HDL cholesterol levels and coronary heart diseaseM E Brousseau
The Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts, Boston, MA, USA
Atherosclerosis 154:607-11. 2001..Recently, our laboratory and others demonstrated that mutations in the ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 (ABCA1) gene are responsible for Tangier disease, a rare genetic disorder characterized by severely diminished plasma HDL-..
- Association between increased arterial-wall thickness and impairment in ABCA1-driven cholesterol efflux: an observational studyMarjel J van Dam
Departments of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lancet 359:37-42. 2002..Cholesterol efflux is mediated by the ATP-binding cassette A1 transporter (ABCA1), the rate-limiting step in the production of HDL...
- Novel ABCA1 compound variant associated with HDL cholesterol deficiencySeung Ho Hong
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland and Veterans Administration Medical Center, 22 S Greene St, S3B06 Baltimore 21201, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1587:60-4. 2002The recent discovery of an ATP-binding cassette transporter, ABCA1, as an important regulator of high density lipoprotein (HDL) metabolism and reverse cholesterol transport has facilitated the identification of novel variants associated ..
- ABCA1 modulates CSF cholesterol levels and influences the age at onset of Alzheimer's diseaseM Axel Wollmer
Division of Psychiatry Research, University of Zurich, August Forel Street 1, 8008, Zurich, Switzerland
Neurobiol Aging 24:421-6. 2003..High cellular cholesterol load promotes Abeta formation. The ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) mediates cholesterol efflux from cells...
- ABCA1 gene polymorphisms and their associations with coronary artery disease and plasma lipids in males from three ethnic populations in SingaporeJenny Hui Hui Tan
Department of Pediatrics, National University of Singapore, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, 119074, Singapore
Hum Genet 113:106-17. 2003Mutations in the ATP-binding cassette transporter ABCA1 underlie Tangier disease and familial hypoalphaliproteinemia (FHA), disorders that are characterised by reduced high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (HDL-C) concentration and ..
- Alterations of plasma lipids in mice via adenoviral-mediated hepatic overexpression of human ABCA1Cheryl L Wellington
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, British Columbia Children s and Women s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Lipid Res 44:1470-80. 2003b>ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) is a widely expressed lipid transporter essential for the generation of HDL. ABCA1 is particularly abundant in the liver, suggesting that the liver may play a major role in HDL homeostasis...
- Efflux and atherosclerosis: the clinical and biochemical impact of variations in the ABCA1 geneRoshni R Singaraja
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, and Children s and Women s Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:1322-32. 2003Approximately 50 mutations and many single nucleotide polymorphisms have been described in the ABCA1 gene, with mutations leading to Tangier disease and familial hypoalphalipoproteinemia...
- Novel polypyrimidine variation (IVS46: del T -39...-46) in ABCA1 causes exon skipping and contributes to HDL cholesterol deficiency in a family with premature coronary diseaseSeung Ho Hong
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland and Veterans Administration Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
Circ Res 93:1006-12. 2003Recent studies have implicated mutations in the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1, ABCA1, as a cause of Tangier disease (TD) and familial hypoalphalipoproteinemia (FHA)...
- Janus kinase 2 modulates the apolipoprotein interactions with ABCA1 required for removing cellular cholesterolChongren Tang
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6426, USA
J Biol Chem 279:7622-8. 2004ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) mediates transport of cellular cholesterol and phospholipids to high density lipoprotein (HDL) apolipoproteins, such as apoA-I...
- Leukocyte ABCA1 gene expression is associated with fasting glucose concentration in normoglycemic menC Albrecht
Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Center, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Metabolism 53:17-21. 2004Adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) mediates the efflux of cholesterol to apolipoprotein A1, a process necessary for high-density lipoprotein (HDL) formation and reverse cholesterol transport...
- The ABCA1 transporter modulates late endocytic trafficking: insights from the correction of the genetic defect in Tangier diseaseEdward B Neufeld
Molecular Disease Branch, NHLBI, NHLBI Light Microscopy Core Facility, and Laboratory for Cellular Biology and Biochemistry, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 279:15571-8. 2004We have previously established that the ABCA1 transporter, which plays a critical role in the lipidation of extracellular apolipoprotein acceptors, traffics between late endocytic vesicles and the cell surface (Neufeld, E. B., Remaley, A...
- Genetic polymorphisms affecting the phenotypic expression of familial hypercholesterolemiaStefano Bertolini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Viale Benedetto XV 6, I 16132 Genoa, Italy
Atherosclerosis 174:57-65. 2004..Apo B (-516C/T), Apo A-V (-1131T/C), HL (-514C/T and -250G/A), FABP-2 (A54T), LPL (D9N, N291S, S447X) and ABCA1 (R219K) polymorphisms in 221 unrelated FH index cases and 349 FH relatives with defined LDL-R gene mutations...
- Screening for functional sequence variations and mutations in ABCA1Mario C O Probst
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, Regensburg DE 93053, Germany
Atherosclerosis 175:269-79. 2004Mutations in the ATP-binding cassette 1 transporter gene (ABCA1) are responsible for the genetic HDL-deficiency syndromes, which are characterized by severely diminished plasma HDL-C levels and a predisposition to cardiovascular disease ..
- A PEST deletion mutant of ABCA1 shows impaired internalization and defective cholesterol efflux from late endosomesWengen Chen
Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 280:29277-81. 2005ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) promotes the efflux of cellular cholesterol and phospholipids to apoA-I...
- R1615P: a novel mutation in ABCA1 associated with low levels of HDL and type II diabetes mellitusDanish Saleheen
Int J Cardiol 110:259-60. 2006
- Candidate gene susceptibility variants predict intermediate end points but not angiographic coronary artery diseaseBryant M Whiting
Cardiovascular Department, LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT 84143, USA
Am Heart J 150:243-50. 2005..Moderate-sized studies have suggested that variants of candidate genes can influence laboratory markers of coronary artery disease (CAD), but whether they predict parallel changes in clinical CAD risk is unknown...
- Specific mutations in ABCA1 have discrete effects on ABCA1 function and lipid phenotypes both in vivo and in vitroRoshni R Singaraja
Center for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia and Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Circ Res 99:389-97. 2006Mutations in ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) cause Tangier disease and familial hypoalphalipoproteinemia, resulting in low to absent plasma high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels...
- The ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 R230C variant affects HDL cholesterol levels and BMI in the Mexican population: association with obesity and obesity-related comorbiditiesM Teresa Villarreal-Molina
Unit of Molecular Biology and Genomic Medicine, Salvador Zubiran National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition INCMNSZ, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Diabetes 56:1881-7. 2007Although ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) is well known for its role in cholesterol efflux and HDL formation, it is expressed in various tissues, where it may have different functions...
- Genotypic variation in ATP-binding cassette transporter-1 (ABCA1) as contributors to the high and low high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (HDL-C) phenotypeMyrna Mantaring
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center and VA Maryland Health Care System, Baltimore, MD, USA
Transl Res 149:205-10. 2007The ATP-binding cassette transporter-1 (ABCA1) mediates cholesterol efflux and genotypic variation in ABCA1 and may impact reverse cholesterol transport and influence cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk...
- R219K polymorphism of ATP binding cassette transporter A1 related with low HDL in overweight/obese Thai malesAnong Kitjaroentham
Department of Tropical Nutrition and Food Science, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Arch Med Res 38:834-8. 2007b>ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) plays a role in the initial stage of removing cholesterol from the body via cholesterol efflux...
- Reduced expression of ATP-binding cassette transporter G1 increases cholesterol accumulation in macrophages of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusJeremy P Mauldin
Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Circulation 117:2785-92. 2008..The ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1 regulate macrophage cholesterol efflux and hence play a vital role in macrophage foam cell formation...
- Direct interaction of nuclear liver X receptor-beta with ABCA1 modulates cholesterol effluxMasako Hozoji
Laboratory of Cellular Biochemistry, Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:30057-63. 2008..Therefore, the ABCA1 gene, the product of which mediates secretion of cholesterol, is highly regulated at both the transcriptional and ..
- Associations of genetic variants in ATP-binding cassette A1 and cholesteryl ester transfer protein and differences in lipoprotein subclasses in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosisMichael Y Tsai
Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0392, USA
Clin Chem 55:481-8. 2009ATP-binding cassette A1 (ABCA1) and cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) play important roles in the reverse cholesterol transport pathway...
- Genetic variation in the ABCA1 gene, HDL cholesterol, and risk of ischemic heart disease in the general populationRuth Frikke-Schmidt
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Section for Molecular Genetics, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Blegdamsvej 9, Copenhagen Ø DK 2100, Denmark
Atherosclerosis 208:305-16. 2010..This review focuses on whether both rare and common genetic variation in ABCA1 contributes to plasma levels of HDL cholesterol and to risk of IHD in the general population, and further seeks to ..
- Effect of R219K polymorphism of the ABCA1 gene on the lipid-lowering effect of pravastatin in Chinese patients with coronary heart diseaseJia Li
Department of Cardiac Care Unit, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:567-70. 2009..present study, we investigated the effects of the R219K polymorphism of the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) gene on serum lipid levels and the response to statin therapy in Chinese patients with coronary heart disease (..
- ABCA1 gene variants regulate postprandial lipid metabolism in healthy menJavier Delgado-Lista
Lipids and Atherosclerosis Unit, Instituto Maimonides de Investigacion Biomedica de Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:1051-7. 2010Genetic variants of ABCA1, an ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter, have been linked to altered atherosclerosis progression and fasting lipid concentration, mainly high-density lipoproteins and apolipoprotein A1; however, results from ..
- Association of R230C ABCA1 gene variant with low HDL-C levels and abnormal HDL subclass distribution in Mexican school-aged childrenTeresa Flores-Dorantes
Unit of Molecular Biology and Genomic Medicine, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Clin Chim Acta 411:1214-7. 2010The effect of ABCA1 genetic variation on HDL-C levels has been widely documented, although studies in children are scarce...
- Anti-inflammatory, cholesterol export, and cardioprotective functions of ABCA1Renee C LeBoeuf; Fiscal Year: 2013..A major cardioprotective factor associated with HDL metabolism is ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), a cell membrane protein that exports cholesterol and phospholipids from cells to lipid-depleted HDL ..
- Membrane biophysics of enterotoxin mediated immunomodulationArnd Pralle; Fiscal Year: 2013..proteins with lipid- and protein-membrane domains, and the membrane cytoskeleton;and by indentifying which membrane bound immune signaling processes are influenced by Enterotoxin binding...
- MATTHEW LAWRENCE WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2014..are recognized: Ffh, a protein with GTP hydrolysis (GTPase) activity that binds nascent polypeptides;FtsY, a membrane bound receptor that binds Ffh and helps target nascent peptides to the translocon channel;and a small cytoplasmic ..
- Subtype Specific LXR Activity Limits AtherosclerosisIra G Schulman; Fiscal Year: 2013..cholesterol transport (RCT), by increasing expression of the genes encoding the ATP binding cassette transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1 and the apolipoprotein apoE...
- Multicolor Cell Membrane Profiling For Development And DiseaseBRIAN DAVID GRAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..lipophilic dyes we propose to develop fixable carbocyanine dyes that can be bonded to lysine groups in membrane bound proteins thereby retaining the dyes in the membranes even after the lipid bilayers has been removed with ..
- A Novel Approach to Identify HIV Suppression Factor from CD8 CellsPhalguni Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2010..The objective of the proposed study is to use a combined biochemical and proteomic approach to conclusively identify the HIV-1 suppressive factor from the exosome-derived soluble factor. ..
- ALAN RICHARD TALL; Fiscal Year: 2016..macrophage foam cells to HDL or apoA-1, a process mediated in part by the ATP binding cassette transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1...
- Mei Hong; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Anjali Ganda; Fiscal Year: 2016..Two ATP-binding cassette transporters, ABCA1 and ABCG1, play key roles in promoting HDL-mediated cholesterol efflux. Murine studies in Dr...
- Microfluidic Processors for Directed Evolution and Synthetic BiologyBrian M Paegel; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Frederick R Maxfield; Fiscal Year: 2014..Although proteins such as ABCA1 and ABCG4 are essential for export of cholesterol to HDLs, the precise role of these proteins remains unclear...
- Macrophage, ABCA1, Inflammation, and AtherosclerosisJohn S Parks; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) is a membrane protein that is required to remove excess lipid from macrophages...
- Imaging supported lipid bilayers and actual cell membrane fragments by NanoSIMSMONICA LOZANO; Fiscal Year: 2011..In these studies, secondary ion mass spectrometry (nanoSIMS) imaging will be used to obtain quantitative compositional information with nanometer scale resolution of model and actual cell membranes. ..
- Atherogenic Effects of Oxidized High Density LipoproteinsJay W Heinecke; Fiscal Year: 2010The interaction of the HDL protein apoA-l with the cell membrane transporter ABCA1 removes excess cellular cholesterol and protects against atherogenesis...
- Nanopore Biosensor for Kinetics of Reparative Antibodies on Plasma MembranesSang Hyun Oh; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Quantitative Analysis of RET Receptor Activation and SignalingAdrian Whitty; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Makio Iwashima; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- JOHN DAVID CASTLE; Fiscal Year: 2015..proposal have shown that deficiencies in pancreatic [unreadable] cells in the ATP-binding cassette transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1, which have been implicated to promote cellular export of cholesterol to plasma lipoproteins by most ..
- ALAN RICHARD TALL; Fiscal Year: 2014..to promote efflux of cholesterol and toxic oxysterols from cells via the ATP binding cassette transporters, ABCA1 and ABCG1...
- ABCs of Cholesterol Regulation in the Insulin Secretory PathwayJOHN DAVID CASTLE; Fiscal Year: 2011..of this proposal have shown that deficiencies in pancreatic beta cells in the ATP-binding cassette transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1, which have been implicated to promote cellular export of cholesterol to plasma lipoproteins by most ..
- Cellular Cholesterol Movement and HomeostasisYvonne Lange; Fiscal Year: 2012..of plasma membrane cholesterol to circulating high density lipoproteins by the scavenger receptor SR-BI and the ABCA1 transporter. A novel hypothesis for the mysterious molecular mechanism of general anesthesia is also proposed...
- Neuropeptide regulation of neurohypophyseal functionFrancis W Flynn; Fiscal Year: 2012..The nuclear translocation of the neurokinin receptor to the nucleus is novel and has implications for a large number of pathologies, such as epilepsy, that are linked to this receptor system in the brain. ..
- Thomas J Meade; Fiscal Year: 2015..designed and synthesized with varying polarities, charges, and water solubilities that will selectively probe membrane bound receptors or receptors located inside the cells and tumors. AIM 2...
- Yehia Daaka; Fiscal Year: 2014..We identified NOS/NO and dynamin2 as regulators of E. coli invasion into bladder cells. The targeting of eNOS and dynamin2 may provide a window of opportunity to interfere with currently untreatable recurrent UTIs. ..
- RICHARD HSINSHIN HO; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Fan Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- White Matter Protection in Acute Ischemic StrokeChia Yi Kuan; Fiscal Year: 2012..By quantitative analysis and outcome comparison among various treatment-groups, these experiments will suggest strategies of WM protection and shed new insights into the mechanisms of WM injury in acute ischemic stroke. ..
- ALFONSO MONDRAGON; Fiscal Year: 2014..is accomplished through an adaptor protein, ankyrin, which bridges the interaction between 2-spectrin and the membrane bound anion- exchange transporter band 3...
- Membranes in the Initiation of Chromsomal ReplicationElliott Crooke; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, advances in understanding of how membrane lipids influence DnaA may help direct future investigations in the emerging field of phospholipid-mediated regulation of enzymaticactivities. ..
- Jun Liu; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Lei Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2015..In addition, many proteins, both globular and membrane bound, require specific phospholipids to fulfill their functions...
- Sandeep Jain; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Giorgio Cavigiolio; Fiscal Year: 2016..Including ABCA1, which is the primary mechanism underlying the anti-atherogenic function of apoA-I. a...
- A novel computational model of B cell signaling and activationCraig J Benham; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our computer model will help elucidate the fundamental regulation mechanisms underlying the B cell immune response and could potentially be applied to investigate B cell mediated diseases. ..
- Histone deacetylases and atherosclerosisNilamadhab Mishra; Fiscal Year: 2010..marrow derived macrophages to study the effect of different levels of expression of HDAC9 on cholesterol efflux (ABCA1, ABCG1, and SR-B1 mediated), cholesterol esterification, and lipoprotein binding and degradation...
- Ann Marie Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2016..In parallel, mRNA levels for the two key cholesterol transporters, Abca1 and Abcg1, were H2-fold and >250-fold higher in RAGE null BMDMs vs. wild- type BMDMs, respectively...
- Macrophage Produced Phospholipid Transfer Protein (PLTP)Linda K Curtiss; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will determine if wild-type (WT) or mutant PLTP (which binds ABCA1 but lacks lipid transfer activity) disrupts lipid rafts and/or inhibits TLR2/1 dimerization in vivo and in vitro...
- Inflammatory Mechanisms and Treatment Strategies for Atherosclerosis in HIVSTEVEN KYLE GRINSPOON; Fiscal Year: 2013..HIV-1 Nef protein impairs efflux of cholesterol from macrophages by downregulation of ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), and thus, promotes foam cell formation...
- ELEXSYS E500 CW EPR SPECTROMETERJack H Freed; Fiscal Year: 2010..f) We are constructing phase diagrams for multi-component lipid mixtures. Some of the phase boundaries, as well as the thermodynamic tielines, are best determined by use of ESR spectroscopy of spin-labeled lipid probes. ..
- Angel Baldán; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our published and preliminary studies show that physiological targets of miR-33 include ABCA1, a transporter critical for HDL lipidation and reverse cholesterol transport, and ATP8B1, a phospholipid flippase ..
- PAUL THOMAS HENDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- RYAN EUGENE TEMEL; Fiscal Year: 2016..A major target of miR-33a/b is the ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), a protein essential for cholesterol efflux from foam cells and the formation of HDL...
- Macrophage Foam Cells, Cathepsins and Cholesterol EffluxALAN RICHARD TALL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ATP binding cassette transporter ABCA1 mediates cholesterol efflux from macrophage foam cells to apoA-1...
- Eicke Latz; Fiscal Year: 2016..cholesterol crystals in atherosclerotic lesions of LDLR-/- mice and test if these effects of HDL depend on ABCA1 cholesterol efflux transporter;4) Determine the HDL particle proteomic and lipid content from a cohort of normal ..
- Human ApoE4 and Foam Cell FormationEMMANUEL UGOCHUKWU OKORO; Fiscal Year: 2011..lipoproteins to induce the expression of the cholesterol efflux transporter, ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), in macrophages...
- Liwu Li; Fiscal Year: 2016..In particular, reduced cholesterol export due to decreased ABCA1/ABCG1 expression in macrophages leads to the foam cell formation...
- Jay W Heinecke; Fiscal Year: 2016..MPO impairs apoA-I's ability to remove cholesterol from macrophages by the ABCA1 pathway...
- Ehrlichiacidal Mechanism in LeukocytesYasuko Rikihisa; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Physiological Role of NPC1L1 in Lipid Transport and MetabolismDavid Y Hui; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, whether NPC1L1 is a membrane bound protein serving as a transporter for cholesterol uptake by enterocytes or an intracellular protein responsible ..
- Cell Biology of ABCA1MASON FREEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..in Tangier disease maps to a locus encoding a member of the ABCA family of ATP- binding cassette transporters (ABCA1) and that this transporter is required for normal, apolipoprotein-stimulated cholesterol efflux...
- Daniel A Starr; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Conformations and interactions of insect olfactory receptor proteinsROBERT D RENTHAL; Fiscal Year: 2010..Also, one component of the insect pheromone receptor is similar to human proteins involved in atherosclerosis, inflammatory response, metabolic syndrome, cardiomyopathies, high frequency hearing loss, and Gaucher's disease. ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF MEMBRANE PROTEIN GLYCOLIPID ANCHORSAnant K Menon; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Elucidating the molecular function of Hph1 in regulating metal ion homeostasisFrancisco Pina; Fiscal Year: 2009..of iron transport, Fet3 and Fet5, and a known regulator of Nramp-type metal ion transporters, Bsd2, in a membrane bound yeast two-hybrid assay...
- Jin Ye; Fiscal Year: 2014..If these specific aims are achieved, we will have contributed novel information that will significantly enhance our understanding of the innate immune response. This new knowledge may reveal novel drug targets to treat HCV infection. ..
- 2010 Ligand Recognition and Molecular Gating Gordon Research ConferenceNANCY RYAN GRAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding the structure and function of these membrane bound molecules is one of the most important goals of the 21st century, both for science and for development of new ..
- David L Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2014..abstract_text> ..
- Discovery metabolite profiling of the prolyl peptidasesAlan Saghatelian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, the application of DMP to peptidases will demonstrate the generality of this approach for the future characterization of medically relevant enzymes and signaling pathways. ..
- PATRICIA JEAN JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- BIOGENESIS AND MOLECULAR PATHOGENESIS OF CFTRWilliam R Skach; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Lucy A Waskell; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Role of MicroRNA mi R-33 in Controlling Cholesterol/Lipid HomeostasisAnders M Naar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our results show that miR-33 miRNAs target the ABCA1 cholesterol transporter for translational repression, resulting in lowered ABCA1 protein levels and decreased ..
- Biochemical Characterization of Cytochrome b5 Reductase in Candida albicansMARY JOLENE PATRICIA HOLLOWAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..I will also learn new techniques used in biochemistry and proteomics, such as mass spectrometry, protein pull-down assays, and other methods involved in the characterization of proteins. ..
- Peter Walter; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Gary A Lorigan; Fiscal Year: 2016..KCNE1 bind to the cytoplasmic domain of the KCNQ1 K+ channel? Which proposed structural model is correct for the E1/Q1 complex? Do disease-causing E1 or Q1 LQTS mutations alter the structure or binding mechanism of the E1/Q1 complex?! ..
- Structural Dynamics of Cardiac Calcium Transport RegulationNAA ADJELEY DROMOH ABLORH; Fiscal Year: 2013..The findings of this research will provide the kind of detailed molecular information that is needed for the rational design of drugs, gene therapies, and other means of treating the failing heart. ..
- Gang Ren; Fiscal Year: 2016..ApoA-I mediates cholesterol efflux via the cellular ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), and produces nascent discoidal HDL particles that are then converted to spherical HDL by lecithin- cholesterol ..
- Structure of apolipoprotein A-I on defined states of HDLMICHAEL NOBUAKI ODA; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a principal facilitator of RCT, HDL initiates cholesterol removal from peripheral tissues via the ABCA1 transporter cholesterol efflux pathway...
- ABCA1-mediated biogenesis of nascent HDL particlesNICHOLAS LYSSENKO; Fiscal Year: 2013..and extracellular apolipoprotein AI (apoAI) through a process mediated by ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1)...
- Unraveling the Genetic Architecture of Very High HDL cholesterol though TranscripMichael Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..pedigrees with functional mutations elucidated in 3 genes: apolipoprotein A-1 (APOA1), ATP-binding cassette AI (ABCA1) and lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase (LCAT)...
- John S Parks; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) effluxes phospholipid (PL) and free cholesterol (FC) from cells, forming nascent high density lipoproteins (nHDL)...
- JESSICA OTIS; Fiscal Year: 2014..Interestingly, in mice, CAV1 interacts with the ABC binding cassette transporter member 1 (ABCA1), which mediates cellular cholesterol efflux to high-density lipoproteins (HDL);mice lacking CAV1 have altered ..
- AIBP-Mediated Cholesterol Efflux and AngiogenesisLonghou Fang; Fiscal Year: 2013..that the phenotype caused by the loss of AIBP was phenocopied by knockdown of cellular cholesterol transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1...
- Mechanisms of ethanol-induced neurodevelopmental effectsMarina Guizzetti; Fiscal Year: 2011..Specific Aims of the proposal are: 1) The investigation of the role of ABCA1 and ABCG1 in ethanol-induced cholesterol efflux...
- Mary G Sorci-Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2015..MPO] and xanthine oxidase [XO]) to prevent LDL oxidation;2) or ATP binding cassette (ABC) transporter 1 (ABCA1)/ABCG1, lecithin cholesteryl acyl transferase (LCAT), cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) and scavenger ..
- ABCG1 Function in DiabetesCatherine C Hedrick; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aortic EC express ABCG1 and ABCA1, two key cholesterol transporters...
- NEW PATHWAY LIMITS CELLULAR CHOLESTEROL CONTENTPhoebe Fielding; Fiscal Year: 2004..Caveolin forms a scaffold whose association with signal transduction proteins is regulated by FC. ABC 1 catalyses the transport of cellular PL to apolipoprotein A-1 (apo A-1) the major high density lipoprotein (HDL) ..
- Triazole hypersensitivity in Candida albicansNeeraj Chauhan; Fiscal Year: 2009..6 billion, and the average per-patient attributable cost was $31,200 (5). The present study is aimed at the development and identification of newer antifungal drug targets which may be exploited in anti-fungal drug discovery. ..
- ApoA-I Helical Domains and Cardiovascular AgingJOHN BIELICKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..Cellular cholesterol efflux mediated by apoA-I is dependent on the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) which is down regulated via a degradation pathway...
- Therapeutic potential-LXR ligands in Alzheimer's DiseaseIliya Lefterov; Fiscal Year: 2005..The ABCA1 transporter which is under the transcriptional control of LXRs, mediates CL efflux and secretion of excess CL from ..
- Novel Pathways of Cellular Cholesterol EffluxAlan Tall; Fiscal Year: 2005..However, the mechanisms of the protective effect of HDL are incompletely understood. Mutations in ABCA1 result in low HDL and impaired efflux of cholesterol from macrophage foam cells to lipid-poor apoA-I...
- ABCA1 knock-in mouse model to study molecular pathology of Alzheimer's DiseaseIliya Lefterov; Fiscal Year: 2007..CL efflux and generation of HDL are mediated by ABCA1 membrane transporter which is transcriptionally controlled by Liver X nuclear Receptors (LXR)...
- Adenoviral Induced Acute Lung Injury and SurfactantRama K Mallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ATP-binding cassette transporter 1, ABCA1, has emerged as a key protein that directs basolateral trafficking of lipids to suitable acceptor proteins within ..