Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ubx
Alias: BX-C, Bxl, CG10388, Cbx, DUbx, Dm Ubx, DmUbx, Dmel\CG10388, UBX, UBx, Uab, Ubx1b, abx, bx[D], bxd, bxd[D], bxl, l(3)89Eb, pbx, ubx, CG10388 gene product from transcript CG10388-RF, CG10388-PA, CG10388-PB, CG10388-PC, CG10388-PD, CG10388-PE, CG10388-PF, Ubx-PA, Ubx-PB, Ubx-PC, Ubx-PD, Ubx-PE, Ubx-PF, anterobithorax, bithorax, bithorax complex, bithoraxoid, contrabithorax, haltere mimic, postbithorax, ultabithorax, ultarbithorax, ultraabdominal, ultrabithorax
Species: fruit fly
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Role of histone H3 lysine 27 methylation in Polycomb-group silencingRu Cao
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7295, USA
Science 298:1039-43. 2002..assays, we show that H3-K27 methylation colocalizes with, and is dependent on, E(Z) binding at an Ultrabithorax (Ubx) Polycomb response element (PRE), and that this methylation correlates with Ubx repression...
- Dynamic regulation by polycomb group protein complexes controls pattern formation and the cell cycle in DrosophilaKatarzyna Oktaba
EMBL, Gene Expression Programme, Heidelberg, Germany
Dev Cell 15:877-89. 2008..Analysis of cell cycle regulators indicates that the PcG system also dynamically modulates the expression levels of certain genes, providing a possible explanation for the tumor phenotype of PcG mutants...
- MicroRNAs in the Drosophila bithorax complexWelcome Bender
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 22:14-9. 2008The iab-4 noncoding RNA from the Drosophila bithorax complex is the substrate for a microRNA (miRNA). Gene conversion was used to delete the hairpin precursor of this miRNA; flies homozygous for this deletion are sterile...
- Polycomb response elements mediate the formation of chromosome higher-order structures in the bithorax complexChiara Lanzuolo
Dulbecco Telethon Institute at IGB CNR, Epigenetics and Genome Reprogramming, Via Pietro Castellino 111, 80131 Naples, Italy
Nat Cell Biol 9:1167-74. 2007..To address this question, we analysed in vivo the three-dimensional structure of the homeotic locus bithorax complex (BX-C) by combining chromosome conformation capture (3C) with fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) and ..
- A gene complex controlling segmentation in DrosophilaE B Lewis
Nature 276:565-70. 1978The bithorax gene complex in Drosophila contains a minimum of eight genes that seem to code for substances controlling levels of thoracic and abdominal development...
- Homeobox genes and axial patterningW McGinnis
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511
Cell 68:283-302. 1992
- Specificity of Distalless repression and limb primordia development by abdominal Hox proteinsBrian Gebelein
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, 701 West 168th Street, HHSC 1104, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dev Cell 3:487-98. 2002..The Hox protein Ultrabithorax (Ubx) suppresses limb formation in the abdomen by repressing the leg selector gene Distalless, whereas ..
- A pulse of the Drosophila Hox protein Abdominal-A schedules the end of neural proliferation via neuroblast apoptosisBruno C Bello
Medical Research Council, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
Neuron 37:209-19. 2003..These studies identify a mechanism linking the Hox axial patterning system to neural proliferation, and this involves temporal regulation of precursor cell death rather than the cell cycle...
- Hox repression of a target gene: extradenticle-independent, additive action through multiple monomer binding sitesRon Galant
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Laboratory of Molecular Biology, University of Wisconsin, 1525 Linden Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Development 129:3115-26. 2002..In Drosophila melanogaster, the Hox protein Ultrabithorax (Ubx) promotes haltere development and suppresses wing development by selectively repressing many genes of the ..
- Hierarchical recruitment of polycomb group silencing complexesLiangjun Wang
Department of Biological Sciences, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX 75275, USA
Mol Cell 14:637-46. 2004..PcG proteins also are present at discrete locations at or downstream of the promoter of a silenced target gene, Ubx. E(z)-dependent H3mK27 is also present near the Ubx promoter and is needed for Pc binding...
- Direct integration of Hox and segmentation gene inputs during Drosophila developmentBrian Gebelein
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics and Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, 701 West 168th Street, HHSC 1104, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 431:653-9. 2004..Our results suggest that these two classes of proteins may collaborate to directly control gene expression at many downstream target genes...
- A new homeotic mutation in the Drosophila bithorax complex removes a boundary separating two domains of regulationH Gyurkovics
Biological Research Center, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Szeged
EMBO J 9:2579-85. 1990The bithorax complex specifies the identity of parasegments 5-14 of Drosophila...
- Assisting Hox proteins in controlling body form: are there new lessons from flies (and mammals)?James W Mahaffey
Department of Genetics, Campus Box 7614, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7614, USA
Curr Opin Genet Dev 15:422-9. 2005..Perhaps this layer in the genetic control of body patterning will help bridge some of the chasms that remain in our understanding of the genetic control of pattern formation...
- Chameau HAT and DRpd3 HDAC function as antagonistic cofactors of JNK/AP-1-dependent transcription during Drosophila metamorphosisBenoit Miotto
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille, CNRS Inserm Université de la Méditerranée, Parc Scientifique de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Genes Dev 20:101-12. 2006..This study establishes a direct link among JNK signaling, DFos phosphorylation, chromatin modification, and AP-1-dependent transcription and its importance in a developing organism...
- Pcl-PRC2 is needed to generate high levels of H3-K27 trimethylation at Polycomb target genesMaxim Nekrasov
Gene Expression Programme, EMBL, Heidelberg, Germany
EMBO J 26:4078-88. 2007..Pcl-PRC2 is thus the HMTase that generates the high levels of H3-K27 trimethylation in Polycomb target genes that are needed to maintain a Polycomb-repressed chromatin state...
- Developmental function of Elf-1: an essential transcription factor during embryogenesis in DrosophilaS J Bray
Biological Laboratories, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138
Genes Dev 5:1672-83. 1991..Elf-1 also stimulates transcription from the Ddc and Ultrabithorax promoters in vitro...
- The DNA binding specificity of Ultrabithorax is modulated by cooperative interactions with extradenticle, another homeoproteinS K Chan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032
Cell 78:603-15. 1994The Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and Antennapedia (Antp) genes of Drosophila encode homeodomain proteins that have very similar DNA binding specificities in vitro but specify the development of different segmental patterns in vivo...
- P element homing to the Drosophila bithorax complexW Bender
BCMP Department, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 127:3981-92. 2000P elements containing a 7 kb DNA fragment from the middle of the Drosophila bithorax complex insert preferentially into the bithorax complex or into the adjacent chromosome regions...
- Homeotic genes of the Bithorax complex repress limb development in the abdomen of the Drosophila embryo through the target gene Distal-lessG Vachon
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Cell 71:437-50. 1992..Limb development is repressed in the abdominal segments of the Drosophila embryo by the hometic genes of the Bithorax complex (BX-C)...
- The specificity of homeotic gene functionR S Mann
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Bioessays 17:855-63. 1995..Although exd provides part of the answer as to how specificity is achieved, there may be additional cofactors and mechanisms that have yet to be identified...
- Comparison of germline mosaics of genes in the Polycomb group of Drosophila melanogasterM C Soto
Harvard Medical School, Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genetics 140:231-43. 1995..Psc shows unusual effects on two of the targets, Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A...
- Setting limits on homeotic gene function: restraint of Sex combs reduced activity by teashirt and other homeotic genesD J Andrew
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5427
EMBO J 13:1132-44. 1994..In the abdominal cuticle Scr is prevented from inducing prothoracic structures by the three bithorax complex (BX-C) homeotic genes...
- Functional and regulatory interactions between Hox and extradenticle genesN Azpiazu
Centro de Biologia Molecular Centro Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autońoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Genes Dev 12:261-73. 1998..In spite of this negative regulation, two BX-C genes, Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A, require exd activity for their maintenance and function...
- Control of antennal versus leg development in DrosophilaF Casares
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 392:723-6. 1998..Taken together, these data indicate that hth is an antennal selector gene, and that Antp promotes leg development by repressing hth and consequently nuclear Exd...
- Integration of RNA processing and expression level control modulates the function of the Drosophila Hox gene Ultrabithorax during adult developmentLuis F de Navas
Centro de Biología Molecular Severo Ochoa C S I C U A M Universidad Autónoma de madris, Spain
Development 138:107-16. 2011..Here we explore this problem in the Drosophila Hox gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx). Ubx produces a family of six protein isoforms through alternative splicing...
- Genetic organization of Drosophila bithorax complexE Sánchez-Herrero
Nature 313:108-13. 1985The Drosophila bithorax complex is subdivided into three major genes: Ultrabithorax+, abdominal-A+ and Abdominal-B+...
- extradenticle raises the DNA binding specificity of homeotic selector gene productsM A van Dijk
Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093
Cell 78:617-24. 1994..We show here that extradenticle protein raises the DNA binding specificity of Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A but not that of Abdominal-B...
- Hox control of organ size by regulation of morphogen production and mobilityMichael A Crickmore
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Science 313:63-8. 2006..We have studied how the Drosophila Hox gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) limits the size of the haltere, which, by the end of larval development, has approximately fivefold ..
- Regulation of Ubx expression by epigenetic enhancer silencing in response to Ubx levels and genetic variationMichael A Crickmore
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS Genet 5:e1000633. 2009..By studying the regulation of the concentration-sensitive Drosophila melanogaster Hox gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx), we found that Ubx enhancer activities respond to both increases in Ubx levels and genetic background...
- Mutations in the Drosophila gene extradenticle affect the way specific homeo domain proteins regulate segmental identityM Peifer
Department of Biology, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544 1003
Genes Dev 4:1209-23. 1990..Segmental identity in Drosophila is mediated by the products of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes...
- Novel transcripts from the Ultrabithorax domain of the bithorax complexH D Lipshitz
Department of Biochemistry, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305
Genes Dev 1:307-22. 1987..analysis of the transcriptional products of the bithoraxoid (bxd) region of the Ultrabithorax domain in the bithorax complex of Drosophila melanogaster...
- Elements of the Drosophila bithorax complex that mediate repression by Polycomb group productsJ Simon
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Dev Biol 158:131-44. 1993..transformation constructs, containing portions of the bxd, iab-2, or iab-3 regulatory regions of the bithorax complex (BX-C), that are controlled by Pc group products in embryos...
- The hexapeptide and linker regions of the AbdA Hox protein regulate its activating and repressive functionsSamir Merabet
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, IBDM, CNRS, Universite de la Mediterranee, Parc Scientifique de Luminy, Case 907, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Dev Cell 4:761-8. 2003..Our in vivo data thus reveal functions not previously anticipated from in vitro analyses for the hexapeptide motif in the regulation of Hox activity...
- A simple and efficient method to identify replacements of P-lacZ by P-Gal4 lines allows obtaining Gal4 insertions in the bithorax complex of DrosophilaLuis de Navas
Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Mech Dev 123:860-7. 2006..replacements of P-lacZ lines by P-Gal4 lines, and applied it successfully to obtain Gal4 insertions in the Ultrabithorax and Abdominal-B Hox genes...
- Ectopic expression of UBX and ABD-B proteins during Drosophila embryogenesis: competition, not a functional hierarchy, explains phenotypic suppressionM L Lamka
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
Development 116:841-54. 1992The Abdominal-B (Abd-B) gene, a member of the bithorax complex (BX-C), specifies the identities of parasegments (PS) 10-14 in Drosophila...
- Regulation of the Ultrabithorax gene of Drosophila by other bithorax complex genesG Struhl
Cell 43:507-19. 1985The bithorax complex of Drosophila is composed of three major units of gene function, Ultrabithorax (Ubx), abdominal-A (abd-A), and Abdominal-B (Abd-B), each having a precise realm of action within the thorax and abdomen...
- The bithorax complex of Drosophila melanogaster: Underreplication and morphology in polytene chromosomesY M Moshkin
Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Siberian Division of Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:570-4. 2001..salivary gland chromosomes was determined throughout the chromosome region 89E1-4, the locus of the Bithorax Complex. A zone of underreplication spans the 300 kb of DNA from the Ubx to Abd-B loci...
- The rise and fall of Hox gene clustersDenis Duboule
National Research Centre Frontiers in Genetics, Department of Zoology and Animal Biology, University of Geneva, Sciences III, Switzerland
Development 134:2549-60. 2007..By integrating these parameters, general conclusions emerge that can help solve the aforementioned dilemma...
- A single Hox locus in Drosophila produces functional microRNAs from opposite DNA strandsAlexander Stark
Broad Institute of Massachussetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02141, USA
Genes Dev 22:8-13. 2008..We also report sense/antisense miRNAs in mouse and find antisense transcripts close to many miRNAs in both flies and mammals, suggesting that additional sense/antisense pairs exist...
- Genome-wide tissue-specific occupancy of the Hox protein Ultrabithorax and Hox cofactor Homothorax in DrosophilaMatthew Slattery
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e14686. 2011..The Drosophila Hox gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx), for example, is required for specifying the identity of the third thoracic (T3) segment of the adult, ..
- Modulation of Decapentaplegic gradient during haltere specification in DrosophilaKalpana Makhijani
Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Uppal Road, Hyderabad, India
Dev Biol 302:243-55. 2007Suppression of wing fate and specification of haltere fate in Drosophila by Ultrabithorax is a classical example of Hox regulation of serial homology...
- The abdominal region of the bithorax complexF Karch
Cell 43:81-96. 1985The homeotic mutations in the right half of the bithorax complex of Drosophila cause segmental transformations in the second through the eighth segments of the fly...
- Functional differences between Ultrabithorax protein isoforms in Drosophila melanogaster: evidence from elimination, substitution and ectopic expression of specific isoformsV Subramaniam
Department of Biological Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213
Genetics 136:979-91. 1994The homeotic selector gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) specifies regional identities in multiple tissues within the thorax and abdomen of Drosophila melanogaster...
- The ABC of the BX-C: the bithorax complex explainedRobert K Maeda
Department of Zoology and Animal Biology and National Research Centre Frontiers in Genetics, University of Geneva, 30 quai E Ansermet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Development 133:1413-22. 2006As one of two Drosophila Hox clusters, the bithorax complex (BX-C) is responsible for determining the posterior thorax and each abdominal segment of the fly...
- Compartmental modulation of abdominal Hox expression by engrailed and sloppy-paired patterns the fly ectodermBrian Gebelein
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital, 3333 Burnet Ave, MLC 7007, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Dev Biol 308:593-605. 2007..previous results to describe a genetic circuit that controls the differential expression of two Hox genes, Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and abdominal-A (abd-A), within the A and P compartments of the abdominal ectoderm...
- Functionally distinct regulatory RNAs generated by bidirectional transcription and processing of microRNA lociDavid M Tyler
Department of Developmental Biology, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, New York 10021, USA
Genes Dev 22:26-36. 2008..Ectopic mir-iab-8 can strongly repress the Hox genes Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A via extensive arrays of conserved target sites, and can induce a dramatic homeotic ..
- Multiple roles for Hox genes in segment-specific shaping of CNS lineagesAna Rogulja-Ortmann
Institute of Genetics, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Fly (Austin) 2:316-9. 2008....
- Optimal DNA sequence recognition by the Ultrabithorax homeodomain of DrosophilaS C Ekker
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205
EMBO J 10:1179-86. 1991..optimal DNA binding sites and have applied it to a 72 amino acid peptide containing the homeodomain of the Ultrabithorax (Ubx) homeotic gene of Drosophila...
- Contrabithorax and the control of spatial expression of the bithorax complex genes of DrosophilaJ Casanova
J Embryol Exp Morphol 90:179-96. 1985Cbx1 is a dominant mutation of the bithorax complex (BX-C) of Drosophila partially transforming the second thoracic (T2) segment towards the third one (T3)...
- Imaginal disc silencers from Ultrabithorax: evidence for Polycomb response elementsB Christen
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
Mech Dev 48:255-66. 1994Silencers from the Drosophila homeotic gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) require hunchback (hb) and Polycomb (Pc) to suppress the activity of embryonic enhancers outside the Ubx domain...
- Ectopic expression of wild-type or a dominant-negative mutant of transcription factor NTF-1 disrupts normal Drosophila developmentL D Attardi
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:10563-7. 1993..Our results suggest that both the activity and the regulation of NTF-1 are critical for viability and proper development of the fly...
- Probes of chromatin accessibility in the Drosophila bithorax complex respond differently to Polycomb-mediated repressionK McCall
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
EMBO J 15:569-80. 1996..for bacteriophage T7 RNA polymerase were inserted into the bithorax (bx) regulatory region of the endogenous Ultrabithorax (Ubx) gene, which is regulated by the PcG...
- Nuclear organization and gene expression: homologous pairing and long-range interactionsS Henikoff
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Basic Sciences Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 9:388-95. 1997..Recent work has revealed that such influences are widespread in eukaryotes and that chromosome architecture is likely to be of fundamental importance for nuclear structure and function...
- Drosophila Mad binds to DNA and directly mediates activation of vestigial by DecapentaplegicJ Kim
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Nature 388:304-8. 1997..Mad also binds to Dpp-response elements in other genes. These results suggest that Dpp signalling regulates gene expression by activating Mad binding to target gene enhancers...
- Negative regulation of dorsoventral signaling by the homeotic gene Ultrabithorax during haltere development in DrosophilaL S Shashidhara
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Uppal Road, Hyderabad, 500 007, India shashiccmb ap nic in
Dev Biol 212:491-502. 1999..In the metathorax, wing development is essentially suppressed by the homeotic selector gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) to mediate development of a pair of tiny balancing organs, the halteres...
- The design and analysis of a homeotic response elementR A White
Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, UK
Mech Dev 91:217-26. 2000..bp bx1 element from the regulatory region of Distal-less is capable of imposing control by the homeotic genes Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A on a general epidermal activator in Drosophila...
- Development. Legs, eyes, or wings--selectors and signals make the differenceM Affolter
Biozentrum der Universitat Basel, Abteilung Zellbiologie, Basel CH 4056, Switzerland
Science 292:1080-1. 2001
- Hox transcription factor ultrabithorax Ib physically and genetically interacts with disconnected interacting protein 1, a double-stranded RNA-binding proteinSarah E Bondos
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, USA
J Biol Chem 279:26433-44. 2004..yeast two-hybrid screen of a 0-12-h Drosophila embryo library designed to identify proteins that interact with Ultrabithorax (Ubx), a Drosophila Hox protein. The Ubx...
- Negative regulation of Egfr/Ras pathway by Ultrabithorax during haltere development in DrosophilaS K Pallavi
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Uppal Road, Hyderabad 500 007, India
Dev Biol 296:340-52. 2006..In the third thoracic segment, homeotic selector gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) suppresses wing development to mediate haltere development (E.B. Lewis, 1978...
- Muscle pattern diversification in Drosophila is determined by the autonomous function of homeotic genes in the embryonic mesodermA M Michelson
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 120:755-68. 1994..Here it is shown that the homeotic genes of the Bithorax complex control the identities of abdominal somatic muscles and their precursors by functioning directly in cells of ..
- Complete sequence of the bithorax complex of DrosophilaC H Martin
Human Genome Center, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:8398-402. 1995The bithorax complex (BX-C) of Drosophila, one of two complexes that act as master regulators of the body plan of the fly, is included within a sequence of 338,234 bp (SEQ89E)...
- A Polycomb response element in the Ubx gene that determines an epigenetically inherited state of repressionC S Chan
Department of Zoology, University of Geneva, Switzerland
EMBO J 13:2553-64. 1994..We have identified a regulatory element in the Ubx gene that responds to Pc-G and trx-G genes...
- Chromatin insulators and boundaries: effects on transcription and nuclear organizationT I Gerasimova
Department of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, UDA
Annu Rev Genet 35:193-208. 2001..Insulators might modulate transcription by organizing the chromatin fiber within the nucleus through the establishment of higher-order domains of chromatin structure...
- An interactive network of zinc-finger proteins contributes to regionalization of the Drosophila embryo and establishes the domains of HOM-C protein functionLisa K Robertson
Department of Genetics, Campus Box 7614, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7614, USA
Development 131:2781-9. 2004..We conclude that a combination of regionalizing factors, in concert with the HOM-C proteins, promotes the specification of individual segment identity...
- Segment-specific prevention of pioneer neuron apoptosis by cell-autonomous, postmitotic Hox gene activityIrene Miguel-Aliaga
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, 220 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 131:6093-105. 2004..In addition, they provide a novel mechanism linking Hox positional information to differences in neuronal architecture along the anteroposterior axis by the selective elimination of mature neurons...
- CTCF genomic binding sites in Drosophila and the organisation of the bithorax complexEimear E Holohan
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Genet 3:e112. 2007..for CTCF has been identified in the Drosophila genome, the Fab-8 insulator in the Abdominal-B locus in the Bithorax complex (BX-C)...
- A homologous protein-coding sequence in Drosophila homeotic genes and its conservation in other metazoansW McGinnis
Cell 37:403-8. 1984The homeotic genes of the bithorax complex (BX-C) and the Antennapedia complex (ANT-C) of Drosophila appear to specify the developmental fate of segments or parts of segments of the fly...
- Polycomb and trithorax group proteins mediate the function of a chromatin insulatorT I Gerasimova
Department of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Cell 92:511-21. 1998..The results suggest a model in which PcG and TrxG proteins regulate insulator function by establishing higher order domains of chromatin organization required for the assembly of functional insulators at the nuclear matrix...
- Polycomb group proteins and heritable silencing of Drosophila Hox genesD Beuchle
Max Planck Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Spemannstr 35 III, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Development 128:993-1004. 2001..Some PcG proteins may be required to define and propagate this mark; others may function to repress the transcription of Hox genes that bear the mark...
- Expression and function of the segmentation gene fushi tarazu during Drosophila neurogenesisC Q Doe
Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, CA 94305
Science 239:170-5. 1988....
- Genetic analysis of "transvection" effects involving contrabithorax mutations in Drosophila melanogasterJ L Micol
Centro de Biologia Molecular, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:1146-50. 1988b>Contrabithorax (Cbx) alleles are dominant mutations in the Ultrabithorax (Ubx) gene of Drosophila that cause its ectopic expression in the mesothorax...
- Developmental effects of some newly induced Ultrabithorax alleles of DrosophilaS Kerridge
J Embryol Exp Morphol 68:211-34. 1982
- Trans-regulation of thoracic homeotic selector genes of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes by the trithorax group genes: absent, small, and homeotic discs 1 and 2D Lajeunesse
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Mech Dev 53:123-39. 1995..Hypomorphic ash1 mutations cause variegated expression of Antennapedia, Sex combs reduced, Ultrabithorax, and engrailed...
- LEF-1, a nuclear factor coordinating signaling inputs from wingless and decapentaplegicJ Riese
Medical Research Council, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cell 88:777-87. 1997..and decapentaplegic signal during endoderm induction in Drosophila to regulate expression of the homeotic gene Ultrabithorax. Here, we define a minimal wingless response sequence in the midgut enhancer of Ultrabithorax...
- The Additional sex combs gene of Drosophila encodes a chromatin protein that binds to shared and unique Polycomb group sites on polytene chromosomesD A Sinclair
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T 1Z4
Development 125:1207-16. 1998..We show that Asx is required in the central nervous system to regulate Ultrabithorax. ASX binds to multiple sites on polytene chromosomes, 70% of which overlap those of Polycomb, polyhomeotic and ..
- LSF and NTF-1 share a conserved DNA recognition motif yet require different oligomerization states to form a stable protein-DNA complexM K Shirra
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 273:19260-8. 1998..The DNA binding and oligomerization properties of LSF support models depicting novel mechanisms to prevent continual, adjacent binding by a protein that recognizes directly repeated DNA sequences...
- Hox genes: from master genes to micromanagersM Akam
University Museum of Zoology, Department of Zoology, Cambridge, UK
Curr Biol 8:R676-8. 1998..gene can control the morphology of complex structures, but recent studies suggest that the Drosophila Hox gene Ultrabithorax micromanages segment development by manipulating a large number of different targets at many developmental ..
- Ultrabithorax and the control of cell morphology in Drosophila halteresF Roch
University Museum of Zoology, Department of Zoology, Cambridge, UK fr213hermes cam ac uk
Development 127:97-107. 2000The Drosophila haltere is a much reduced and specialised hind wing, which functions as a balance organ. Ultrabithorax (Ubx) is the sole Hox gene responsible for the differential development of the fore-wing and haltere in Drosophila...
- The iab-7 polycomb response element maps to a nucleosome-free region of chromatin and requires both GAGA and pleiohomeotic for silencing activityR K Mishra
Département de Zoologie et Biologie Animale, Universite de Geneve, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 21:1311-8. 2001..of a Polycomb response element (PRE) from the iab-7 cis-regulatory domain of the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex (BX-C). Previous studies mapped the iab-7 PRE to an 860-bp fragment located just distal to the Fab-7 boundary...
- The MCP silencer of the Drosophila Abd-B gene requires both Pleiohomeotic and GAGA factor for the maintenance of repressionA Busturia
Centro de Biologia Molecular, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, CSIC UAM, Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid 28049, Spain
Development 128:2163-73. 2001..However, when both PHO and GAF binding sites are present, they achieve strong silencing. We present a model in which robust silencing is achieved by sequential and facilitated binding of PHO and GAF...
- Intergenic transcription through a polycomb group response element counteracts silencingSabine Schmitt
Zentrum für Molekular Biologie Heidelberg ZMBH, University of Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Genes Dev 19:697-708. 2005..At the homeotic bithorax complex of Drosophila, intergenic PRE transcripts can be detected not only during embryogenesis, but also at late ..
- Direct regulation of knot gene expression by Ultrabithorax and the evolution of cis-regulatory elements in DrosophilaBradley M Hersh
University of Wisconsin Madison, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 1525 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Development 132:1567-77. 2005..factor Cubitus interruptus (Ci), and a cluster of binding sites for repression by the Hox protein Ultrabithorax (UBX)...
- Noncoding RNAs of trithorax response elements recruit Drosophila Ash1 to UltrabithoraxTilman Sanchez-Elsner
Department of Biochemistry, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Science 311:1118-23. 2006..We show that the transcripts of three TREs located in the Drosophila homeotic gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) mediate transcription activation by recruiting the epigenetic regulator Ash1 to the template TREs...
- The ultrabithorax Hox gene of Drosophila controls haltere size by regulating the Dpp pathwayLuis F de Navas
Centro de Biología Molecular Severo Ochoa C S I C U A M Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Development 133:4495-506. 2006..The activity in the haltere discs of the Ultrabithorax (Ubx) Hox gene establishes the differences between these structures, their different size being an obvious one...
- The UBX-regulated network in the haltere imaginal disc of D. melanogasterBradley M Hersh
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and University of Wisconsin Madison, 1525 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53703, USA
Dev Biol 302:717-27. 2007..Here, we have identified target genes of the Hox protein Ultrabithorax (UBX), which modifies the genetic regulatory network of the wing to generate the haltere, a modified hindwing...
- Segmental determination in Drosophila conferred by hunchback (hb), a repressor of the homeotic gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx)C C Zhang
Zoological Institute, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:7511-5. 1992..product of hunchback (hb), a segmentation gene, acts as a direct repressor or "silencer" of the homeotic gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and thus prevents ectopic activity of this gene: we show, by stable integration of reporter gene ..
- Developmental genetic analysis of Contrabithorax mutations in Drosophila melanogasterM A González-Gaitán
Centro de Biologia Molecular, C S I C, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Genetics 126:139-55. 1990A developmental analysis of the Contrabithorax (Cbx) alleles offers the opportunity to examine the role of the Ultrabithorax (Ubx) gene in controlling haltere, as alternative to wing, morphogenesis in Drosophila...
- Expression and regulation of the abd-A gene of DrosophilaA Macias
Centro de Biologia Molecular CSIC UAM, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Development 110:1197-207. 1990..polyclonal antibody that recognizes the protein products of the abdominal-A (abd-A) gene, a member of the bithorax complex of Drosophila...
- The molecular genetics of the bithorax complex of Drosophila: characterization of the products of the Abdominal-B domainS E Celniker
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125
Genes Dev 3:1424-36. 1989In Drosophila the Abdominal-B (Abd-B) domain of the bithorax complex specifies the identities of several posterior abdominal segments, comprises homeo-protein-coding regions and cis-regulatory regions, and extends from infra-abdominal-5 (..
- Different requirements for homeotic genes in the soma and germ line of DrosophilaP A Lawrence
Cell 35:27-34. 1983..We find that none of four selector genes (Ultrabithorax+, Antennapedia+, Sex combs reduced+, and engrailed+) is required for the development of viable eggs, and none ..
- The pattern of campaniform sensilla on the wing and haltere of Drosophila melanogaster and several of its homeotic mutantsE S Cole
J Embryol Exp Morphol 71:41-61. 1982..These data are used to assess the quality of homeotic transformation in several mutants of the bithorax complex in which the halteres are transformed into wings...
- Genes controlling segmental specification in the Drosophila thoraxG Struhl
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 79:7380-4. 1982The roles of three homeotic genes, Ubx+, Scr+, and Antp+, in the Drosophila thorax have been studied by determining the cellular phenotypes of mutations resulting in loss of gene function...
- Homeotic response elements are tightly linked to tissue-specific elements in a transcriptional enhancer of the teashirt geneA McCormick
Department of Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5427, USA
Development 121:2799-812. 1995..Sites where Antennapedia (Antp) and Ultrabithorax (Ubx) proteins bind in vitro were mapped within evolutionarily conserved sequences...
- Control of Drosophila adult pattern by extradenticleS González-Crespo
Centro de Biologia Molecular, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Development 121:2117-25. 1995..exd- clones exhibit homeotic transformations similar to those produced by known homeotic mutations such as Ultrabithorax (Ubx), labial (lab), spineless-aristapedia (ssa) or Antennapedia (Antp)...
- Negative autoregulation by Ultrabithorax controls the level and pattern of its expressionK D Irvine
Department of Biochemistry, Beckman Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305
Development 117:387-99. 1993The Drosophila homeotic gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) encodes transcriptional regulatory proteins (UBX) that specify thoracic and abdominal segmental identities...
- Colinearity and functional hierarchy among genes of the homeotic complexesD Duboule
Département de Zoologie et Biologie Animale, Universite de Geneve, Switzerland
Trends Genet 10:358-64. 1994....
- Silencers in abdominal-B, a homeotic Drosophila geneA Busturia
Zoological Institute, University of Zurich, Switzerland
EMBO J 12:1415-25. 1993..The striking similarities between the control of Abd-B and of Ultrabithorax, another homeotic Drosophila gene, may point to a universal principle underlying homeotic gene regulation.
- E(z): a polycomb group gene or a trithorax group gene?D Lajeunesse
Department of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Development 122:2189-97. 1996..zygotic function of Polycomb group genes results in the ectopic expression of both Antennapedia Complex and Bithorax Complex genes...
- Extra specificity from extradenticle: the partnership between HOX and PBX/EXD homeodomain proteinsR S Mann
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, NY 10032, USA
Trends Genet 12:258-62. 1996..and developmentally important transcription factors requires additional twists to the standard solution, which are beginning to become apparent from the characterization of the HOX cofactors encoded by the extradenticle and PBX genes.
- Armadillo coactivates transcription driven by the product of the Drosophila segment polarity gene dTCFM van de Wetering
Department of Immunology, University Hospital, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cell 88:789-99. 1997..transgene cause a segment polarity phenotype and affect expression of the Wingless target genes engrailed and Ultrabithorax. Epistasis analysis positions dTCF downstream of armadillo...
- Su(UR)ES: a gene suppressing DNA underreplication in intercalary and pericentric heterochromatin of Drosophila melanogaster polytene chromosomesE S Belyaeva
Laboratory of Molecular Cytogenetics, Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 10 Lavrentiev Avenue, Novosibirsk, 630090, Russia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:7532-7. 1998..The results obtained provide evidence that the processes leading to DNA underreplication in IH and PH are affected by the same genetic mechanism...
- DISSECTION OF ONCOGENIC PATHWAYS USING DROSOPHILARichard Mann; Fiscal Year: 2004..The use of Drosophila genetics is proposed to help make connections between genetic functions that cannot be easily identified in mammalian experimental systems. ..
- Integrated Approcahes to Find Hox-regulated DNA ElementsRichard Mann; Fiscal Year: 2008..Once these methods are worked out, they will be applicable to a wide variety of problems in biology. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The molecular basis of morphological evolutionDavid L Stern; Fiscal Year: 2010..This detailed analysis of gene regulation promises to provide new insights into how gene regulation functions and evolves in natural species to cause possibly adaptive changes in morphology. ..
- Chimeric Nucleases for Gene Targeting in DrosophilaDana Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2003..To test the generality of the method, it will be applied to a second Drosophila locus, the rosy (ry) gene. ..
- TRANSCRIPTIONAL COACTIVATORS IN ENDOCRINE REGULATIONRichard Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, we will characterize the ability of the "CREB binding domain" of CBP to interact with other transcription factors activated or inhibited by Ser/Thr phosphorylation. ..
- Gene Activation by Remote Transcriptional EnhancersDale Dorsett; Fiscal Year: 2004..Nipped-B also aids activation of the Ultrabithorax (Ubx) gene by remote enhancers, and participates in sister chromatid cohesion in dividing larval neuroblasts...
- Stimulating Gene Targeting with Zinc Finger NucleasesDana Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2004..To demonstrate the generality of this approach to gene targeting, it will be applied to another mouse locus, the Rpo2-1 gene. ..
- Genetic Transfer in the Evolution of Infectious DiseaseRob DeSalle; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- RECEPTORS AND SIGNALING IN NEUROENDOCRINE SYSTEMSRichard Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Core laboratories for cell culture, protein chemistry, and administration are designed to allow the proposed studies to be performed in an efficient and cost-effective manner. ..
- Wnt and beta-Catenin Signaling in Development/DiseaseMariann Bienz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Basic researchers and the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry are invited to discuss how to exploit model systems and how to translate knowledge from these into drug development. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evolution of insect gastrulationMatthew Ronshaugen; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is our hope that this will lead to a specific understanding of the evolution of transcriptional regulation and to events that underlie transition of cells toward a migratory state. ..
- Mechanism of Meiotic Pairing in DrosophilaBRUCE MCKEE; Fiscal Year: 2007..3) What is the molecular basis for homologous pairing in early prophase. 4) How are homologous pairing and conjunction related? We will use predominant genetic and cell biological methods to address these questions. ..
- Regulation of MeCP2 by CREB-induced microRNAsRichard H Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The studies described in this proposal address a completely novel mechanism of gene regulation that has implications for the understanding of MeCP2 biology and neural development in general. ..
- Modular design of synthetic transcriptional regulatorsAseem Z Ansari; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the proposed work, we will elucidate the basis of cooperative DNA binding by Extradenticle and Ultrabithorax, two highly conserved developmental regulators...
- ELECTRONIC ATLAS OF FETAL BRAIN GENE EXPRESSIONTom Strachan; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Identification of gene targets for morphine and other drugs of abuseRichard Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The concept that CREB signaling induces mediators of translational arrest has profound implications for the understanding of drug action. ..