Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tipE
Description: temperature-induced paralytic E
Alias: CG1232, Dmel\CG1232, TipE, tip-E, CG1232 gene product from transcript CG1232-RB, CG1232-PA, CG1232-PB, temperature-induced paralysis locus E, temperature-induced-paralytic-E, tipE-PA, tipE-PB
Species: fruit fly
- The tip-E mutation of Drosophila decreases saxitoxin binding and interacts with other mutations affecting nerve membrane excitabilityF R Jackson
J Neurogenet 3:1-17. 1986..We postulate that either the structure of sodium channels or their microenvironment is altered in tip-E mutants resulting in an increased liability of binding sites in vitro...
- Neurogenetic analysis of Drosophila mutations affecting sodium channels: synergistic effects on viability and nerve conduction in double mutants involving tip-EB Ganetzky
J Neurogenet 3:19-31. 1986..The results of these studies suggest that tip-E shares related function with para and nap. It is proposed that tip-E, like para and nap exerts an effect at some level on the structure, function, or stability of sodium channels...
- Voltage-clamp analysis of sodium channels in wild-type and mutant Drosophila neuronsD K O'Dowd
Department of Neurobiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305
J Neurosci 8:3633-43. 1988..These results indicate that both the tip-E and sei loci are important in regulation of sodium current density in embryonic neurons...
- Cloning and functional analysis of TipE, a novel membrane protein that enhances Drosophila para sodium channel functionG Feng
Department of Biochemical Pharmacology, State University of New York at Buffalo 14260 1200, USA
Cell 82:1001-11. 1995..Here we report that tipE, a gene defined by a temperature-sensitive paralytic mutation in Drosophila, encodes a novel integral membrane ..
- Molecular and functional characterization of voltage-gated sodium channel variants from Drosophila melanogasterRachel O Donnell Olson
Department of Entomology, Neuroscience Program and Genetics Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:604-10. 2008....
- Four novel sequences in Drosophila melanogaster homologous to the auxiliary Para sodium channel subunit TipEChristian Derst
Center for Anatomy, Charite Berlin, Philippstr 12, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339:939-48. 2006b>TipE is an auxiliary subunit of the Drosophila Para sodium channel...
- The molecular biology of knockdown resistance to pyrethroid insecticidesD M Soderlund
Department of Entomology, New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, Cornell University, Geneva, NY 14456, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 33:563-77. 2003..These results also provide new insight into the mechanisms by which pyrethroids modify the function of voltage-sensitive sodium channels...
- Functional expression of Drosophila para sodium channels. Modulation by the membrane protein TipE and toxin pharmacologyJ W Warmke
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
J Gen Physiol 110:119-33. 1997The Drosophila para sodium channel alpha subunit was expressed in Xenopus oocytes alone and in combination with tipE, a putative Drosophila sodium channel accessory subunit...
- Domain 2 of Drosophila para voltage-gated sodium channel confers insect properties to a rat brain channelIris Shichor
Department of Physiology, Sackler School of Medicine and Plant Sciences, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, 69978 Ramat Aviv, Israel
J Neurosci 22:4364-71. 2002..rBIIA, were sensitive to scorpion alpha-toxins and regulated by the auxiliary subunit beta(1) but not by the insect TipE. Notably, like Drosophila Para/TipE, but unlike rBIIA/beta(1), the chimera gained sensitivity to AahIT, indicating ..
- Cytogenetic and molecular localization of tipE: a gene affecting sodium channels in Drosophila melanogasterG Feng
State University of New York at Buffalo, Department of Biochemical Pharmacology 14260 1200, USA
Genetics 139:1679-88. 1995..One such mutation is temperature-induced paralysis locus E (tipE), which has been shown by electrophysiology and ligand binding studies to reduce sodium channel numbers...
- tipE regulates Na+-dependent repetitive firing in Drosophila neuronsDianne D Hodges
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 1280, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 19:402-16. 2002The tipE gene, originally identified by a temperature-sensitive paralytic mutation in Drosophila, encodes a transmembrane protein that dramatically influences sodium channel expression in Xenopus oocytes...
- Impaired activity-dependent neural circuit assembly and refinement in autism spectrum disorder genetic modelsCaleb A Doll
Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University Nashville, TN, USA
Front Cell Neurosci 8:30. 2014..The field is now poised to exploit this new Drosophila transgenic toolbox for the systematic dissection of A-D mechanisms in normal versus ASD brain development, particularly utilizing the well-established Drosophila FXS disease model. ..
- Differential effects of TipE and a TipE-homologous protein on modulation of gating properties of sodium channels from Drosophila melanogasterLingxin Wang
Department of Entomology, Genetics and Neuroscience Programs, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e67551. 2013..However, there are no orthologs of β subunits in insects. Instead, an unrelated protein, TipE in Drosophila melanogaster and its orthologs in other insects, is thought to be a sodium channel auxiliary subunit...
- Two distinct genomic regions, harbouring the period and fruitless genes, affect male courtship song in Drosophila montanaM Lagisz
Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Heredity (Edinb) 108:602-8. 2012..In previous studies, the pulse train traits have been found to vary substantially between Drosophila species, and so are potential species recognition signals, while the pulse traits may be more important in intra-specific mate choice...
- A remarkably stable TipE gene cluster: evolution of insect Para sodium channel auxiliary subunitsJia Li
Department of Genetic Medicine and Development, University of Geneva Medical School, Rue Michel Servet 1, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
BMC Evol Biol 11:337. 2011First identified in fruit flies with temperature-sensitive paralysis phenotypes, the Drosophila melanogaster TipE locus encodes four voltage-gated sodium (NaV) channel auxiliary subunits...
- Differential resistance of insect sodium channels with kdr mutations to deltamethrin, permethrin and DDTMark J Burton
School of Biology, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG72RD, UK
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 41:723-32. 2011..We conclude that L1014H and L1014S may have arisen through heavy exposure to specific pyrethroids and DDT respectively...
- Mutations and natural genetic variation in the courtship song of DrosophilaJennifer M Gleason
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Kansas, 1200 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS, USA
Behav Genet 35:265-77. 2005..With many new tools in genetic analysis and the multiple Drosophila genome projects currently underway, the ability to relate mutational and quantitative analyses will improve...
- Localization of receptor site on insect sodium channel for depressant β-toxin BmK IT2Huiqiong He
Lab of Neuropharmacology and Neurotoxicology, Shanghai University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e14510. 2011..Combined with molecular approach, the receptor site of BmK IT2 was further localized...
- Drosophila as a model for epilepsy: bss is a gain-of-function mutation in the para sodium channel gene that leads to seizuresLouise Parker
Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Genetics 187:523-34. 2011....
- Presynaptic activity and CaMKII modulate retrograde semaphorin signaling and synaptic refinementRobert A Carrillo
Pharmacology Department, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Neuron 68:32-44. 2010..1 calcium channel (cac), or the voltage-gated Na(v)1 sodium channel (mle(nap-ts);tipE) each result in ectopic neuromuscular contacts. Sema-2a interacts genetically with both of the channel mutations...
- Drosotoxin, a selective inhibitor of tetrodotoxin-resistant sodium channelsShunyi Zhu
Group of Animal Innate Immunity, State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1 Beichen West Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
Biochem Pharmacol 80:1296-302. 2010..showed no activity on K(+), Ca(2+) and TTX-sensitive (TTX-S) Na(+) channels in rat DRG neurons and Drosophila para/tipE channels at micromolar concentrations...
- Sialyltransferase regulates nervous system function in DrosophilaElena Repnikova
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Neurosci 30:6466-76. 2010..Thus, our data shed light on one of the most ancient functions of sialic acids in metazoan organisms and suggest a possibility that this function is evolutionarily conserved between flies and mammals...
- Drosomycin, an innate immunity peptide of Drosophila melanogaster, interacts with the fly voltage-gated sodium channelLior Cohen
Department of Plant Sciences, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
J Biol Chem 284:23558-63. 2009..As for drosomycin, we discuss the intriguing possibility that it has additional functions in the fly, as implied by its tight interaction with DmNa(v)1...
- Neurogenetic studies of ion channels in DrosophilaC F Wu
Department of Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242
Ion Channels 3:261-314. 1992
- Conduction in the giant nerve fiber pathway in temperature-sensitive paralytic mutants of DrosophilaT Elkins
Department of Zoology, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706
J Neurogenet 6:207-19. 1990..In the mutants tipE, napts and parats, conduction in certain neurons presynaptic to the CGF failed at about the same temperature at ..
- The pharmacological flexibility of the insect voltage gated sodium channel: toxicity of AaIT to knockdown resistant (kdr) fliesE Zlotkin
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 29:849-53. 1999..The above data are interpreted in terms of the pharmacological diversity and flexibility ("allosteric coupling") of voltage gated sodium channels and their implications for the management of pesticide resistance are discussed...
- Drosophila GABAergic systems. II. Mutational analysis of chromosomal segment 64AB, a region containing the glutamic acid decarboxylase geneS J Kulkarni
Neurobiology Group, Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology, Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Mol Gen Genet 243:555-64. 1994..Both of these rearrangements are associated with embryonic lethality and decreased GAD enzymatic activity...
- Mutations in DIIS5 and the DIIS4-S5 linker of Drosophila melanogaster sodium channel define binding domains for pyrethroids and DDTP N R Usherwood
School of Biology, The University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, UK
FEBS Lett 581:5485-92. 2007..DDT potency was unaffected by M918T, but abolished by T929I and reduced by L925I, L932F and I936V, suggesting that DIIS5 contains at least part of the DDT binding domain. The data support a computer model of pyrethroid and DDT binding...
- Role of neural activity during synaptogenesis in DrosophilaJ Jarecki
Department of Genetics, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
J Neurosci 15:8177-90. 1995..Our experiments suggest that neural activity may function during development by preventing inappropriate connections and thereby maintaining the precise connectivity achieved during nerve outgrowth and target selection...
- Sensitivity of the Drosophila para sodium channel to DDT is not lowered by the super-kdr mutation M918T on the IIS4-S5 linker that profoundly reduces sensitivity to permethrin and deltamethrinP N R Usherwood
School of Biology, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
FEBS Lett 579:6317-25. 2005..We conclude that DDT binds either to or in the region of L1014 on IIS6 but only weakly to M918 on the IIS4-S5 linker, which is part of a high-affinity binding site for permethrin and deltamethrin...
- The varieties of selectional experience in behavioral geneticsRalph J Greenspan
The Neurosciences Institute, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Neurogenet 17:241-70. 2003
- Classic clues to NSF functionA Morgan
Nature 382:680. 1996
- Alternative splicing of an insect sodium channel gene generates pharmacologically distinct sodium channelsJianguo Tan
Department of Entomology and Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Neurosci 22:5300-9. 2002..Exon swapping partially reversed the channel sensitivity to deltamethrin. Our results therefore provide the first evidence that alternative splicing of a sodium channel gene produces pharmacologically distinct channels...
- Analysis of temperature-sensitive mutants reveals new genes involved in the courtship song of DrosophilaA A Peixoto
Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02254, USA
Genetics 148:827-38. 1998..The implications of these findings from the perspective of interspecific lovesong variations in Drosophila are discussed...
- Temperature-sensitive paralytic mutations demonstrate that synaptic exocytosis requires SNARE complex assembly and disassemblyJ T Littleton
Laboratory of Genetics, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Neuron 21:401-13. 1998..These results provide in vivo evidence that cycles of assembly and disassembly of SNARE complexes drive membrane trafficking at synapses...
- Insecticide Action at the Local Anesthetic ReceptorDavid M Soderlund; Fiscal Year: 2011..This research will provide new insight into the structure of the local anesthetic receptor and its role in the neurotoxic actions of PTIs. ..