Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Antp
Alias: ANT-C, ANT-P, ANTC, ANTP, Ant, AntP, AntP1, Antp P1, Antp P2, Antp1, Aus, BG:DS07700.1, CG1028, DMANTPE1, DRO15DC96Z, DmAntp, Dmel\CG1028, Scx, antp, l(3)84Ba, CG1028 gene product from transcript CG1028-RG, Antp-PD, Antp-PE, Antp-PF, Antp-PG, Antp-PH, Antp-PI, Antp-PJ, Antp-PK, Antp-PL, Antp-PM, Antp-PN, Aus, CG1028-PD, CG1028-PE, CG1028-PF, CG1028-PG, CG1028-PH, CG1028-PI, CG1028-PJ, CG1028-PK, CG1028-PL, CG1028-PM, CG1028-PN, Dm-Antennapedia, Sex comb extra, Sex combs extra, antenapedia, antennapaedia, antennapedia, antennapedia P1, antennapedia P2, atennapedia, humeral, nasobemia
Species: fruit fly
Publications145 found, 100 shown here
- Structure of a DNA-bound Ultrabithorax-Extradenticle homeodomain complexJ M Passner
Structural Biology Program, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nature 397:714-9. 1999..Together, these protein-DNA and protein-protein interactions define the general principles by which homeotic proteins interact with Extradenticle (or Pbx1) to affect development along the anterior-posterior axis of animals...
- Hox proteins: sculpting body parts by activating localized cell deathClaudio R Alonso
Laboratory for Development and Evolution, Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, CB2 3EJ, Cambridge, UK
Curr Biol 12:R776-8. 2002..A recent study reveals that the Drosophila Hox protein Deformed directly activates the cell-death-promoting gene reaper to maintain the boundaries between distinct head segments...
- Caveolin-1 gene disruption promotes mammary tumorigenesis and dramatically enhances lung metastasis in vivo. Role of Cav-1 in cell invasiveness and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-2/9) secretionTerence M Williams
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 279:51630-46. 2004..These results demonstrate, for the first time, that caveolin-1 is a potent suppressor of mammary tumor growth and metastasis using novel in vivo animal model approaches...
- Spatial distribution of Antennapedia transcripts during Drosophila developmentM Levine
EMBO J 2:2037-46. 1983We have localized transcripts specified by the homeotic Antennapedia (Antp) locus within serial tissue sections of Drosophila embryos and larvae by in situ hybridization. As a hybridization probe we used a 2...
- Homeotic gene Antennapedia mRNA contains 5'-noncoding sequences that confer translational initiation by internal ribosome bindingS K Oh
Department of Biochemistry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262
Genes Dev 6:1643-53. 1992The Antennapedia (Antp) homeotic gene of Drosophila melanogaster has two promoters, P1 and P2...
- A conserved sequence motif in Polycomb-response elementsJ Mihaly
Mol Cell 1:1065-6. 1998
- A pulse of the Drosophila Hox protein Abdominal-A schedules the end of neural proliferation via neuroblast apoptosisBruno C Bello
Medical Research Council, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
Neuron 37:209-19. 2003..These studies identify a mechanism linking the Hox axial patterning system to neural proliferation, and this involves temporal regulation of precursor cell death rather than the cell cycle...
- Identification of target genes of the homeotic gene Antennapedia by enhancer detectionJ T Wagner-Bernholz
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Switzerland
Genes Dev 5:2467-80. 1991Localized expression of the homeotic gene Antennapedia (Antp) in Drosophila melanogaster is required for normal development of the thoracic segments...
- Direct regulation of the muscle-identity gene apterous by a Hox protein in the somatic mesodermM Capovilla
Institut de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, UPR 9022 du CNRS, 67084 Strasbourg, France
Development 128:1221-30. 2001..We show that the product of the Hox gene Antennapedia is present in the somatic mesoderm of the second and third thoracic segments...
- Multiplex detection of RNA expression in Drosophila embryosDave Kosman
Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Science 305:846. 2004....
- The DNA binding specificity of Ultrabithorax is modulated by cooperative interactions with extradenticle, another homeoproteinS K Chan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032
Cell 78:603-15. 1994The Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and Antennapedia (Antp) genes of Drosophila encode homeodomain proteins that have very similar DNA binding specificities in vitro but specify the development of different segmental patterns in vivo...
- Hematopoiesis at the onset of metamorphosis: terminal differentiation and dissociation of the Drosophila lymph glandMelina Grigorian
Department of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California Los Angeles, USA
Dev Genes Evol 221:121-31. 2011..Cells of the secondary lobes undergo a rapid phase of proliferation that lasts until 8 h APF, followed by expression of Pxn and dispersal. These hemocytes do not express P1, indicating that they disperse prior to full maturation...
- Escherichia coli K1 internalization via caveolae requires caveolin-1 and protein kinase Calpha interaction in human brain microvascular endothelial cellsSunil K Sukumaran
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital, and the Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
J Biol Chem 277:50716-24. 2002..of HBMEC with a cell-permeable peptide that represents the scaffolding domain, which was coupled to an antennapedia motif of a Drosophila transcription factor significantly blocked the interaction of caveolin-1 with phospho-..
- The Drosophila homeotic gene moira regulates expression of engrailed and HOM genes in imaginal tissuesB J Brizuela
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mech Dev 65:209-20. 1997..We show that moira is required for the function of multiple homeotic genes of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes (HOM genes) in most imaginal tissues and that the requirement for moira function is at ..
- Hox protein mutation and macroevolution of the insect body planMatthew Ronshaugen
Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, Universith of California San Diego, Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Nature 415:914-7. 2002..Here we show that naturally selected alteration of the Ubx protein is linked to the evolutionary transition to hexapod limb pattern...
- Drosophila midgut morphogenesis requires the function of the segmentation gene odd-pairedD M Cimbora
Department of Human Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
Dev Biol 169:580-95. 1995..proceeds, interruptions are less frequently observed; however, one interruption, coincident with the Antennapedia expression and variability of Ultrabithorax expression in opa mutants...
- Muscles in the Drosophila second thoracic segment are patterned independently of autonomous homeotic gene functionS Roy
National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, P O Box 1234, IISc Campus, Bangalore, 560012, India
Curr Biol 7:222-7. 1997..Here, we have examined the roles of homeotic genes in the patterning of the somatic muscles of the thoracic segments of Drosophila...
- Caveolin-1 expression enhances endothelial capillary tubule formationJun Liu
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 277:10661-8. 2002....
- Exploiting transcription factor binding site clustering to identify cis-regulatory modules involved in pattern formation in the Drosophila genomeBenjamin P Berman
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:757-62. 2002..We tested one of the newly identified clusters, mapping upstream of the gap gene giant (gt), and show that it acts as an enhancer that recapitulates the posterior expression pattern of gt...
- Unraveling cis-regulatory mechanisms at the abdominal-A and Abdominal-B genes in the Drosophila bithorax complexOmar S Akbari
Biology Department M S 314, University of Nevada, Reno, 1664 N Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Dev Biol 293:294-304. 2006..The hope is that these studies of gene regulation at the BX-C in the humble fruit fly will provide clues as to how vast intergenic regions contribute to the incredible complexity of gene regulation in other species, including humans...
- Hox genes and the regulation of movement in DrosophilaRicha Dixit
National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bangalore 560065, India
Dev Neurobiol 68:309-16. 2008..By loss and gain of function experiments we show that particular Hox gene functions are necessary and sufficient to dictate the formation of a neuromuscular network that orchestrates the movements of peristaltic locomotion...
- Mouse Hox-2.2 specifies thoracic segmental identity in Drosophila embryos and larvaeJ Malicki
Department of Human Genetics, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511
Cell 63:961-7. 1990The mouse genome has a number of homeobox genes that are structurally similar to the Drosophila Antenapedia (Antp) gene. We find that one of the mouse Antp-like genes, Hox-2...
- Dosage-dependent modifiers of polycomb and antennapedia mutations in DrosophilaJ A Kennison
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD 20892
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:8136-40. 1988Two genes known to control the determination of segmental identity in Drosophila melanogaster are polycomb and antennapedia. To identify additional genes involved in the determination of segmental identity, we have isolated dominant ..
- Redesigning the body plan of Drosophila by ectopic expression of the homoeotic gene AntennapediaS Schneuwly
Nature 325:816-8. 1987Genetic and molecular studies on the expression of Antennapedia (Antp) have suggested that this gene specifies mainly the second thoracic segment...
- Specification of anteroposterior cell fates in Caenorhabditis elegans by Drosophila Hox proteinsC P Hunter
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0554, USA
Nature 377:229-32. 1995b>Antennapedia class homeobox (Hox) genes specify cell fates in successive anteroposterior body domains in vertebrates, insects and nematodes...
- Functional analysis of the mouse homeobox gene HoxB9 in Drosophila developmentJ Malicki
Department of Genetics, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06511
Mech Dev 42:139-50. 1993..effects produced by ectopically expressed Abdominal-B, but are also similar to the transformations induced by Antennapedia and mouse HoxB6 (Hox-2...
- Trans-regulation of thoracic homeotic selector genes of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes by the trithorax group genes: absent, small, and homeotic discs 1 and 2D Lajeunesse
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Mech Dev 53:123-39. 1995..trithorax group appear to be required for the maintenance of expression of the homeotic selector genes of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes...
- Homeotic gene action in embryonic brain development of DrosophilaF Hirth
Institute of Zoology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Development 125:1579-89. 1998..Our findings demonstrate that the action of the homeotic genes labial and Deformed are required for neuronal differentiation in the developing brain of Drosophila...
- The ground state of the ventral appendage in DrosophilaF Casares
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, 701 West 168 Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Science 293:1477-80. 2001..These results raise the possibility that, during evolution, leglike appendages could have developed without selector gene activity...
- Functional equivalence of Hox gene products in the specification of the tritocerebrum during embryonic brain development of DrosophilaF Hirth
Institute of Zoology, Biocenter Pharmacenter, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Development 128:4781-8. 2001..This suggests that in embryonic brain development, differences in Hox gene action rely mainly on cis-acting regulatory elements and not on Hox protein specificity...
- Function of the Trithorax-like gene during Drosophila developmentFernando Bejarano
Centro de Biologia Molecular, CSIC UAM, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Dev Biol 268:327-41. 2004..We also suggest that GAGA factor may not have a dual activator/repressor function. Rather, Trithorax-like mutations may produce dual loss of activation and loss of repression effects...
- Getting a molecular grasp on Hox contextual activitySamir Merabet
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, IBDM, CNRS, Universite de la Mediterranee, Parc Scientifique de Luminy, Case 907, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Trends Genet 21:477-80. 2005..A recent study identified novel Hox molecular partners, whose properties set a conceptual framework to understand how Hox proteins use and integrate contextual information...
- Tarsus determination in Drosophila melanogasterAnthony Percival-Smith
Department of Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Genome 48:712-21. 2005Arista versus tarsus determination is well investigated in Drosophila, yet it remains unresolved whether Antennapedia (ANTP) cell autonomously or noncell autonomously determines tarsus identity and whether Sex combs reduced (SCR) is the ..
- Histone replacement marks the boundaries of cis-regulatory domainsYoshiko Mito
Basic Sciences Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Science 315:1408-11. 2007..Our results suggest the existence of a continuous process that disrupts nucleosomes and maintains accessibility of cis-regulatory elements...
- Multi-step control of muscle diversity by Hox proteins in the Drosophila embryoJonathan Enriquez
Centre de Biologie du Developpement, UMR 5547 CNRS UPS, IFR 109 Institut d Exploration Fonctionnelle des Génomes, 31062 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Development 137:457-66. 2010..Differential control of col transcription by the Antennapedia and Ultrabithorax/Abdominal-A paralogs is mediated by separate cis-regulatory modules (CRMs)...
- Homeobox genes and axial patterningW McGinnis
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511
Cell 68:283-302. 1992
- Homeotic genes have specific functional roles in the establishment of the Drosophila embryonic peripheral nervous systemJ G Heuer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington 47405
Development 115:35-47. 1992..The PNS was examined in embryos homozygous for mutations in the homeotic genes Sex combs reduced (Scr), Antennapedia (Antp), Ultrabithorax (Ubx), abdominal-A (abd-A) and Abdominal-B (Abd-B) with antibodies that label specific ..
- The homeotic gene Sex combs reduced of Drosophila melanogaster is differentially regulated in the embryonic and imaginal stages of developmentA M Pattatucci
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Indiana University, Bloomington 47405
Genetics 129:443-61. 1991The Sex combs reduced (Scr) locus is unique among the genes contained within the Antennapedia complex (ANT-C) of Drosophila melanogaster in that it directs functions that are required for both cephalic and thoracic development in the ..
- A functional and structural analysis of the Sex combs reduced locus of Drosophila melanogasterA M Pattatucci
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Indiana University, Bloomington 47405
Genetics 129:423-41. 1991....
- The specificities of Sex combs reduced and Antennapedia are defined by a distinct portion of each protein that includes the homeodomainG Gibson
Department of Cell Biology, Biozentrum, Basel, Switzerland
Cell 62:1087-103. 1990The sequence requirements for distinguishing the functional specificities of two homeodomain proteins, Antennapedia and Sex combs reduced, involved in the specification of segmental identities in Drosophila, have been determined...
- Different patterns of transcription from the two Antennapedia promoters during Drosophila embryogenesisJ R Bermingham
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Colorado, Boulder 80309 0347
Development 109:553-66. 1990..The homeotic gene Antennapedia (Antp), a member of the Antennapedia Complex, is required for the correct differentiation of thoracic segments ..
- Mutations in the Drosophila gene extradenticle affect the way specific homeo domain proteins regulate segmental identityM Peifer
Department of Biology, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544 1003
Genes Dev 4:1209-23. 1990..Segmental identity in Drosophila is mediated by the products of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes...
- The relationship between the functional complexity and the molecular organization of the Antennapedia locus of Drosophila melanogasterM K Abbott
Genetics 114:919-42. 1986..the loss of Antp+ function in the development of the adult thorax causes specific portions of the leg, wing and humeral imaginal discs to develop abnormally...
- A homologous protein-coding sequence in Drosophila homeotic genes and its conservation in other metazoansW McGinnis
Cell 37:403-8. 1984The homeotic genes of the bithorax complex (BX-C) and the Antennapedia complex (ANT-C) of Drosophila appear to specify the developmental fate of segments or parts of segments of the fly...
- Homeotic response elements are tightly linked to tissue-specific elements in a transcriptional enhancer of the teashirt geneA McCormick
Department of Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5427, USA
Development 121:2799-812. 1995..Sites where Antennapedia (Antp) and Ultrabithorax (Ubx) proteins bind in vitro were mapped within evolutionarily conserved sequences...
- Control of Drosophila adult pattern by extradenticleS González-Crespo
Centro de Biologia Molecular, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Development 121:2117-25. 1995..produced by known homeotic mutations such as Ultrabithorax (Ubx), labial (lab), spineless-aristapedia (ssa) or Antennapedia (Antp). In other regions, the lack of exd causes novel homeotic transformations producing ectopic eyes and legs...
- Homeotic genes and the regulation and evolution of insect wing numberS B Carroll
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Nature 375:58-61. 1995....
- Regulation of a decapentaplegic midgut enhancer by homeotic proteinsJ R Manak
Department of Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5427
Development 120:3605-19. 1994..The enhancer is activated ectopically in the visceral mesoderm by ubiquitous expression of Ubx or Antennapedia but not by Sex combs reduced protein. Ectopic expression of abd-A represses the enhancer...
- Ectopic expression and function of the Antp and Scr homeotic genes: the N terminus of the homeodomain is critical to functional specificityW Zeng
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5427
Development 118:339-52. 1993..The two Drosophila homeotic proteins encoded by Antennapedia and Sex combs reduced determine cell fates in the epidermis and internal tissues of the posterior head and ..
- Homeotic genes of DrosophilaG Morata
Centro de Biologia Molecular CSIC UAM, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Curr Opin Genet Dev 3:606-14. 1993..Comparison between Drosophila and other species suggests a common functional organization of homeotic complexes in the animal kingdom...
- Gene inactivation in Drosophila mediated by the Polycomb gene product or by position-effect variegation does not involve major changes in the accessibility of the chromatin fibreJ Schlossherr
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat Koln, Germany
Mol Gen Genet 243:453-62. 1994..These results favour models in which the inactivation is achieved by sequestration of the silenced region in a particular nuclear compartment rather than by a chromatin packaging model...
- Ectopic decapentaplegic in the Drosophila midgut alters the expression of five homeotic genes, dpp, and wingless, causing specific morphological defectsK Staehling-Hampton
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706
Dev Biol 164:502-12. 1994..Ectopic dpp in the visceral mesoderm caused changes in the gene expression of Sex combs reduced, Antennapedia, Ultrabithorax (Ubx), and abdominal-A (abd-A) and disrupted the formation of the gastric caeca and the first ..
- Early tagma-specific commitment of Drosophila CNS progenitor NB1-1A Prokop
Institut für Genetik Zellbiologie, Mainz, Germany
Development 120:2567-78. 1994..At that stage antibody stainings reveal both proteins to be present in NB1-1 during normal development. Possible mechanisms conferring the early tagma-specific determination are discussed...
- The mouse Hox-1.3 gene is functionally equivalent to the Drosophila Sex combs reduced geneJ J Zhao
Brookdale Center for Molecular Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6574
Genes Dev 7:343-54. 1993..3. The results suggest that mouse Hox-1.3 cannot only substitute functionally for Drosophila Scr in the determination of external structures but also can participate in the regulatory hierarchy of insect organogenesis...
- Cell-type-specific mechanisms of transcriptional repression by the homeotic gene products UBX and ABD-A in Drosophila embryosB Appel
Department of Human Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
EMBO J 12:1099-109. 1993..Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and abdominal-A (abd-A) genes within a negatively regulated target, the P2 promoter of the Antennapedia (Antp) gene...
- The segment identity functions of Ultrabithorax are contained within its homeo domain and carboxy-terminal sequencesS K Chan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032
Genes Dev 7:796-811. 1993..the structural differences that distinguish two Drosophila homeotic selector proteins, Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and Antennapedia (Antp), have been investigated...
- Extra specificity from extradenticle: the partnership between HOX and PBX/EXD homeodomain proteinsR S Mann
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, NY 10032, USA
Trends Genet 12:258-62. 1996....
- Nuclear translocation of extradenticle requires homothorax, which encodes an extradenticle-related homeodomain proteinG E Rieckhof
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Cell 91:171-83. 1997..These data suggest a novel and evolutionarily conserved mechanism for regulating HOX activity in which a direct protein-protein interaction between EXD and HTH results in EXD's nuclear translocation...
- Control of antennal versus leg development in DrosophilaF Casares
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 392:723-6. 1998..antennae and legs are homologous structures that differ from each other as a result of the Hox gene Antennapedia (Antp), which promotes leg identities by repressing unknown antennal-determining genes...
- Homeotic regulation of segment-specific differences in neuroblast numbers and proliferation in the Drosophila central nervous systemA Prokop
Institut für Genetik Zellbiologie, Becherweg 32, D 55128 Mainz, Germany
Mech Dev 74:99-110. 1998....
- Functional dominance among Hox genes: repression dominates activation in the regulation of DppM Capovilla
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 125:4949-57. 1998..Thus, these results suggest that other cases of Hox competition and functional dominance may also be understood in terms of competition for target gene regulation in which repression dominates over activation...
- TGF-beta family signal transduction in Drosophila development: from Mad to SmadsL A Raftery
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Building 149 13th Street, Charlestown, Massachusetts, 02129, USA
Dev Biol 210:251-68. 1999..Identification of more ligand sequences and demonstration of a functional Drosophila activin-like signal transduction pathway suggest that all TGF-beta signal transduction pathways are present in flies...
- Activity regulation of Hox proteins, a mechanism for altering functional specificity in development and evolutionX Li
Department of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:6802-7. 1999The closely related Hox transcription factors Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and Antennapedia (Antp) respectively direct first abdominal (A1) and second thoracic (T2) segment identities in Drosophila...
- The control of trunk Hox specificity and activity by ExtradenticleH D Ryoo
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Genes Dev 13:1704-16. 1999..This element, fkh[250(con)], is activated by Scr, Antennapedia (Antp), and Ultrabithorax (Ubx) but repressed by abdominal-A (abd-A)...
- Functions for Drosophila brachyenteron and forkhead in mesoderm specification and cell signallingT Kusch
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat zu Koln, Weyertal 121, D 50931 Köln, Germany
Development 126:3991-4003. 1999..We propose that the functions of brachyenteron in mesodermal development of Drosophila are comparable to the roles of the vertebrate Brachyury genes during gastrulation...
- Transvection and silencing of the Scr homeotic gene of Drosophila melanogasterJeffrey W Southworth
Section on Drosophila Gene Regulation, Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2785, USA
Genetics 161:733-46. 2002..This allele, which is associated with an insertion near the Antennapedia P1 promoter, inactivates the Antennapedia P1 and P2 promoters in cis and derepresses the Scr promoters both in ..
- Hox gene cross-regulatory interactions in the embryonic brain of DrosophilaSimon G Sprecher
Institute of Zoology, Biocenter Pharmacenter University of Basel, Klingelbergstr 50, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Mech Dev 121:527-36. 2004..65 kb brain-specific labial-enhancer element. A functional analysis of Antennapedia and Ultrabithorax protein domains shows that the transcriptional repression of labial requires homeodomain-DNA ..
- Drosophila cardiac tube organogenesis requires multiple phases of Hox activityLaurent Perrin
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, UMR 6545 CNRS Université, IBDM CNRS Université de la Méditerranée, Marseille Cedex 09, 13288 France
Dev Biol 272:419-31. 2004..The three Hox genes of the Bithorax Complex as well as Antennapedia (Antp) have been shown to be expressed in the posterior cardiac tube, while no Hox gene is expressed in the ..
- Direct integration of Hox and segmentation gene inputs during Drosophila developmentBrian Gebelein
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics and Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, 701 West 168th Street, HHSC 1104, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 431:653-9. 2004..Our results suggest that these two classes of proteins may collaborate to directly control gene expression at many downstream target genes...
- A critical role for cyclin E in cell fate determination in the central nervous system of Drosophila melanogasterChristian Berger
Institute for Genetics, University of Mainz, D 55099 Mainz, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 7:56-62. 2005..However, other components of the cell cycle seem to have a minor role in this process, suggesting a critical role for CycE in regulating cell fate in segment-specific neural lineages...
- The role of histone H2Av variant replacement and histone H4 acetylation in the establishment of Drosophila heterochromatinJyothishmathi Swaminathan
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Genes Dev 19:65-76. 2005....
- Recognition of distinct target sites by a unique Labial/Extradenticle/Homothorax complexAndreas Ebner
Biozentrum der Universitat Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Development 132:1591-600. 2005..Thus Lab, and most probably other Hox proteins, selects different DNA sequences in regulating downstream target genes. These observations have implications with regard to the current model of Hox-binding selectivity...
- Cofactor-interaction motifs and the cooption of a homeotic Hox protein into the segmentation pathway of Drosophila melanogasterUlrike Löhr
Abteilung Molekulare Entwicklungsbiologie, Max Planck Institut fur biophysikalische Chemie, Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Curr Biol 15:643-9. 2005..Strengthening the Ftz/Ftz-F1 interaction led to degeneration of the YPWM and loss of homeotic activity. Thus, small changes in protein sequence can result in a qualitative switch in function during evolution...
- Evolutionarily conserved domains required for activation and repression functions of the Drosophila Hox protein UltrabithoraxElla Tour
Section in Cell and Developmental Biology, Division of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Development 132:5271-81. 2005..These results suggest that the N-terminal region containing the SSYF motif has been conserved in many Hox proteins for its role in transcriptional activation...
- Localization of the Antennapedia protein in Drosophila embryos and imaginal discsJ Wirz
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
EMBO J 5:3327-34. 1986Antibodies have been raised against a fusion protein containing the 3' region of the coding sequence of the Antennapedia (Antp) gene fused to beta-galactosidase...
- A Hedgehog- and Antennapedia-dependent niche maintains Drosophila haematopoietic precursorsLolitika Mandal
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Molecular Biology Institute, Mattel Children s Hospital at UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Nature 446:320-4. 2007..Here we show that the PSC is specified early in the embryo by the homeotic gene Antennapedia (Antp) and expresses the signalling molecule Hedgehog...
- The rise and fall of Hox gene clustersDenis Duboule
National Research Centre Frontiers in Genetics, Department of Zoology and Animal Biology, University of Geneva, Sciences III, Switzerland
Development 134:2549-60. 2007..By integrating these parameters, general conclusions emerge that can help solve the aforementioned dilemma...
- Comparing active and repressed expression states of genes controlled by the Polycomb/Trithorax group proteinsChristian Beisel
Zentrum für Molekulare Biologie der Universität Heidelberg ZMBH, Im Neuenheimer Feld 282, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16615-20. 2007..PcG/TrxG proteins, as well as histone modifications in active and repressed genes across the two homeotic complexes ANT-C and BX-C...
- A unique Extradenticle recruitment mode in the Drosophila Hox protein UltrabithoraxSamir Merabet
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite de la Mediterranee, Parc Scientifique de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16946-51. 2007....
- A single Hox locus in Drosophila produces functional microRNAs from opposite DNA strandsAlexander Stark
Broad Institute of Massachussetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02141, USA
Genes Dev 22:8-13. 2008..We also report sense/antisense miRNAs in mouse and find antisense transcripts close to many miRNAs in both flies and mammals, suggesting that additional sense/antisense pairs exist...
- The YPWM motif links Antennapedia to the basal transcriptional machineryFrederic Prince
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelberstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Development 135:1669-79. 2008..In our study, we investigated the importance of the Antennapedia (Antp) YPWM motif for homeotic transformations in adult Drosophila...
- The Drosophila gap gene giant has an anterior segment identity function mediated through disconnected and teashirtLisa R Sanders
Department of Genetics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Genetics 179:441-53. 2008..However, the homeosis does not occur through altered expression of the Hom-C genes but through changes in the regulation of disco and tsh...
- The nuclear organization of Polycomb/Trithorax group response elements in larval tissues of Drosophila melanogasterElena Fedorova
Department Biologie II, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Grosshaderner Str 2, 82152, Planegg Martinsried, Germany
Chromosome Res 16:649-73. 2008....
- Antagonistic roles for Ultrabithorax and Antennapedia in regulating segment-specific apoptosis of differentiated motoneurons in the Drosophila embryonic central nervous systemAna Rogulja-Ortmann
Institute of Genetics, University of Mainz, 55099 Mainz, Germany
Development 135:3435-45. 2008..We report here that the Hox genes Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and Antennapedia (Antp) regulate segment-specific survival of differentiated motoneurons in the ventral nerve cord of Drosophila ..
- Multiple roles for Hox genes in segment-specific shaping of CNS lineagesAna Rogulja-Ortmann
Institute of Genetics, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Fly (Austin) 2:316-9. 2008....
- Functional anatomy of polycomb and trithorax chromatin landscapes in Drosophila embryosBernd Schuettengruber
Institut de Genetique Humaine, CNRS, Montpellier, France
PLoS Biol 7:e13. 2009..Furthermore, several DNA sequence features discriminate between PcG- and TRX-N-bound regions, indicating that underlying DNA sequence contains critical information to drive PREs and TREs towards silencing or activation...
- Abdominal-A mediated repression of Cyclin E expression during cell-fate specification in the Drosophila central nervous systemRamakrishnan Kannan
Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India
Mech Dev 127:137-45. 2010..Furthermore, our data suggest a complex network to regulate CycE expression where AbdA functions as a key regulator...
- Hematopoietic stem cells in DrosophilaSvetlana Minakhina
Rutgers University, Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Waksman Institute, 190 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Development 137:27-31. 2010..Zfrp8/PDCD2 is likely to have similar functions in hematopoietic stem cell maintenance in vertebrates...
- Segment-specific neuronal subtype specification by the integration of anteroposterior and temporal cuesDaniel Karlsson
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
PLoS Biol 8:e1000368. 2010..This study reveals a surprisingly restricted, yet multifaceted, function of both anteroposterior and temporal cues with respect to lineage control and cell fate specification...
- Developmental RNA processing of 3'UTRs in Hox mRNAs as a context-dependent mechanism modulating visibility to microRNAsStefan Thomsen
John Maynard Smith Building, School of Life Sciences, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Development 137:2951-60. 2010....
- Serpent, suppressor of hairless and U-shaped are crucial regulators of hedgehog niche expression and prohemocyte maintenance during Drosophila larval hematopoiesisYumiko Tokusumi
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, 147 Galvin Life Sciences Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Development 137:3561-8. 2010....
- Insights into Hox protein function from a large scale combinatorial analysis of protein domainsSamir Merabet
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy, UMR6216 CNRS, Parc Scientifique de Luminy, Case 907, Marseille, France
PLoS Genet 7:e1002302. 2011....
- Cofactor binding evokes latent differences in DNA binding specificity between Hox proteinsMatthew Slattery
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, 701 West 168 th Street, HHSC 1104, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell 147:1270-82. 2011..Together, these data suggest that emergent DNA recognition properties revealed by interactions with cofactors contribute to transcription factor specificities in vivo...
- Structural relationships among genes that control development: sequence homology between the Antennapedia, Ultrabithorax, and fushi tarazu loci of DrosophilaM P Scott
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81:4115-9. 1984..These clusters, the bithorax complex (BX-C) and the Antennapedia complex (ANT-C), both contain multiple homoeotic loci: mutations in each locus cause a transformation of one ..
- DSP1, an HMG-like protein, is involved in the regulation of homeotic genesM Decoville
Centre de Biophysique Moleculaire, CNRS UPR 4301, conventionnée avec l Université d Orléans, 45071 Orleans, France
Genetics 157:237-44. 2001..We propose that DSP1 protein is a chromatin remodeling factor, acting as a trx-G or a Pc-G protein depending on the considered function...
- Glutamate receptors of Drosophila melanogaster: cloning of a kainate-selective subunit expressed in the central nervous systemA Ultsch
Abteilung Neurochemie, Max Planck Institut für Hirnforschung, Frankfurt Main, Federal Repoublic of Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:10484-8. 1992..DGluR-I transcripts are differentially expressed during Drosophila development and, in late embryogenesis, accumulate in the central nervous system...
- The prospero gene encodes a divergent homeodomain protein that controls neuronal identity in DrosophilaQ Chu-LaGraff
Department of Cell and Structural Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801
Dev Suppl . 1991..These data are consistent with a model in which pros controls neuroblast cell lineages by regulating gene expression...
- Homeodomain proteins and the regulation of gene expressionM Affolter
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Switzerland
Curr Opin Cell Biol 2:485-95. 1990
- What determines the specificity of action of Drosophila homeodomain proteins?S Hayashi
National Institute of Genetics, Shizuoka ken, Japan
Cell 63:883-94. 1990
- The structure of the Antennapedia homeodomain determined by NMR spectroscopy in solution: comparison with prokaryotic repressorsY Q Qian
Institut für Molekularbiologie und Biophysik Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Hönggerberg, Zurich, Switzerland
Cell 59:573-80. 1989The structure of the Antennapedia homeodomain from Drosophila melanogaster was determined by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy in solution...
- Identification of homeotic target genes in Drosophila melanogaster including nervy, a proto-oncogene homologueP G Feinstein
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Genetics 140:573-86. 1995..These results illustrate potentially general rules about the homeotic control of target gene expression and suggest that subtractive hybridization can be used to isolate interesting homeotic target genes...
- Quantitative genomics of sexual dimorphismSergey Nuzhdin; Fiscal Year: 2005..We expect our results to have a profound impact on our understanding of the evolution of sexual dimorphism, and the role that sexual differentiation plays in the generation of phenotypic diversity. ..
- SPECIFICITY IN HOMEOTIC RESPONSE ELEMENTSWilliam McGinnis; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will apply microarrays to test whether this combination of transcription factors regulates a common group of "skeletal" and/or "collagen and cross-linking" genes in Drosophila and other animals. ..
- Regulation of epidermal barrier wound repairWILLIAM JAMES MCGINNIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- TRANSCRIPTIONAL COACTIVATORS IN ENDOCRINE REGULATIONRichard Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, we will characterize the ability of the "CREB binding domain" of CBP to interact with other transcription factors activated or inhibited by Ser/Thr phosphorylation. ..
- DISSECTION OF ONCOGENIC PATHWAYS USING DROSOPHILARichard Mann; Fiscal Year: 2004..The use of Drosophila genetics is proposed to help make connections between genetic functions that cannot be easily identified in mammalian experimental systems. ..
- Genetic Transfer in the Evolution of Infectious DiseaseRob DeSalle; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- RECEPTORS AND SIGNALING IN NEUROENDOCRINE SYSTEMSRichard Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Core laboratories for cell culture, protein chemistry, and administration are designed to allow the proposed studies to be performed in an efficient and cost-effective manner. ..
- Integrated Approcahes to Find Hox-regulated DNA ElementsRichard Mann; Fiscal Year: 2008..Once these methods are worked out, they will be applicable to a wide variety of problems in biology. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Identification of gene targets for morphine and other drugs of abuseRichard Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The concept that CREB signaling induces mediators of translational arrest has profound implications for the understanding of drug action. ..
- Regulation of MeCP2 by CREB-induced microRNAsRichard H Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The studies described in this proposal address a completely novel mechanism of gene regulation that has implications for the understanding of MeCP2 biology and neural development in general. ..