Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: zapA
Description: FtsZ stabilizer
Alias: ECK2905, JW2878, ygfE
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- FtsZ polymer-bundling by the Escherichia coli ZapA orthologue, YgfE, involves a conformational change in bound GTPElaine Small
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Michael Smith Building, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK
J Mol Biol 369:210-21. 2007..in vivo, and that these interactions are regulated by accessory cell division proteins such as ZipA, EzrA and ZapA. We demonstrate that the putative Escherichia coli ZapA orthologue, YgfE, exists in a dimer/tetramer equilibrium in ..
- A widely conserved bacterial cell division protein that promotes assembly of the tubulin-like protein FtsZFrederico J Gueiros-Filho
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge Massachusetts 02138, USA
Genes Dev 16:2544-56. 2002..We report the discovery of a Z-ring-associated protein in Bacillus subtilis called ZapA. ZapA was found to colocalize with the Z ring in vivo and was capable of binding to FtsZ and stimulating the ..
- Assembly dynamics of FtsZ rings in Bacillus subtilis and Escherichia coli and effects of FtsZ-regulating proteinsDavid E Anderson
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Bacteriol 186:5775-81. 2004..Interestingly, null mutations of the FtsZ-regulating proteins ZapA, EzrA, and MinCD had only modest effects on the assembly dynamics...
- Maturation of the Escherichia coli divisome occurs in two stepsMirjam E G Aarsman
Molecular Cytology, Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Kruislaan 316, 1098 SM Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Microbiol 55:1631-45. 2005Cell division proteins FtsZ (FtsA, ZipA, ZapA), FtsE/X, FtsK, FtsQ, FtsL/B, FtsW, PBP3, FtsN and AmiC localize at mid cell in Escherichia coli in an interdependent order as listed...
- ZipA is required for targeting of DMinC/DicB, but not DMinC/MinD, complexes to septal ring assemblies in Escherichia coliJay E Johnson
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4960, USA
J Bacteriol 186:2418-29. 2004..In contrast, none of the known FtsZ-associated factors, including ZipA, FtsA, and ZapA, appear to be specifically required for targeting of the (D)MinC/MinD complex to rings, implying that the two MinC/..
- The role of MatP, ZapA and ZapB in chromosomal organization and dynamics in Escherichia coliJaana Mannik
Department of Biochemistry and Cellular and Molecular Biology, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996 0840, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 44:1216-26. 2016..Here we investigate the role of the MatP, ZapA and ZapB proteins in organizing the replication terminus (Ter) region and in the chromosomal segregation process...
- In vivo organization of the FtsZ-ring by ZapA and ZapB revealed by quantitative super-resolution microscopyJackson Buss
Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Mol Microbiol 89:1099-120. 2013..In this work we examine the roles of two FtsZ-associated proteins, ZapA and ZapB, in the assembly dynamics and structure of the Z-ring in Escherichia coli cells...
- FtsZ-ZapA-ZapB interactome of Escherichia coliElisa Galli
Centre for Bacterial Cell Biology, Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Medical School, Newcastle University, Newcastle, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 194:292-302. 2012..The cell division factor ZapA interacts directly with FtsZ and thereby increases FtsZ protofilament association and Z-ring stability...
- Cross-linking FtsZ polymers into coherent Z ringsAlex Dajkovic
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Johns Hopkins Physical Sciences in Oncology Center, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Mol Microbiol 78:651-68. 2010..Here we report that a widely conserved FtsZ binding protein, ZapA, has cytological, biochemical and biophysical properties that argue for the importance of cross-linking ..
- Direct interactions of early and late assembling division proteins in Escherichia coli cells resolved by FRETSvetlana Alexeeva
Molecular Cytology, Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Microbiol 77:384-98. 2010..assembly, interacting with late assembling proteins FtsI and FtsW, but also with early (proto-ring) protein ZapA. This is in line with the recently described role of FtsN in divisome stabilization including the proto-ring ..
- Tetramerization of ZapA is required for FtsZ bundlingRaúl Pacheco-Gómez
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands B15 2TT, UK
Biochem J 449:795-802. 2013..One of these proteins, ZapA, acts to enhance lateral associations between FtsZ fibres to form bundles...
- The order of the ring: assembly of Escherichia coli cell division componentsMiguel Vicente
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Campus de Cantoblanco, C Darwin 3, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Mol Microbiol 61:5-8. 2006..In addition, back-recruitment of all late proteins except FtsN into the division ring occurs even in the absence of proteins incorporated at earlier stages, i.e. FtsA or FtsQ...
- Spatial resolution of two bacterial cell division proteins: ZapA recruits ZapB to the inner face of the Z-ringElisa Galli
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Medical School, Newcastle University, Newcastle NE2 4HH, UK
Mol Microbiol 76:1514-26. 2010..Two small coiled-coil proteins, ZapA and ZapB, are both recruited early to the Z-ring. We show here that ZapB is recruited to the Z-ring by ZapA...
- The GTPase activity of Escherichia coli FtsZ determines the magnitude of the FtsZ polymer bundling by ZapA in vitroTamimount Mohammadi
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Molecular Cytology, Science Park 904, 1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 48:11056-66. 2009..The ring is stabilized by a number of proteins among which the widely conserved ZapA protein...
- Division protein interaction web: identification of a phylogenetically conserved common interactome between Streptococcus pneumoniae and Escherichia coliSilvia Maggi
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita Tor Vergata, Roma, Italy
Microbiology 154:3042-52. 2008..At least nine division proteins, ZapA, FtsZ, FtsA, FtsK, FtsQ/DivIB, FtsB/DivIC, FtsL, FtsI and FtsW, are believed to have a conserved function between ..
- Premature targeting of cell division proteins to midcell reveals hierarchies of protein interactions involved in divisome assemblyNathan W Goehring
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Microbiol 61:33-45. 2006..Based on these observations we present a revised model for assembly of the E. coli division apparatus...
- Isolation and characterization of a light-sensitive mutant of Escherichia coli K-12 with a mutation in a gene that is required for the biosynthesis of ubiquinoneK Nakahigashi
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
J Bacteriol 174:7352-9. 1992....
- Expression, purification and crystallization of the cell-division protein YgfE from Escherichia coliStephen G Addinall
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, England
Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 61:305-7. 2005..in the Escherichia coli K12-MG1655 genome sequence, identified as a possible homologue to the cell-division protein ZapA, was cloned into the high-expression plasmid pETDuet-1 and overexpressed in E. coli BL21 (DE3)-AI...
- Premature targeting of a cell division protein to midcell allows dissection of divisome assembly in Escherichia coliNathan W Goehring
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 19:127-37. 2005..We fused FtsQ to the FtsZ-binding protein ZapA such that FtsQ was targeted to FtsZ rings independently of proteins FtsA and FtsK, which are normally required for ..
- Bacterial cell division and the septal ringDavid S Weiss
Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Mol Microbiol 54:588-97. 2004..Finally, two murein hydrolases, AmiC and EnvC, have been shown to localize to the septal ring of Escherichia coli, where they play an important role in separation of daughter cells...
- Use of a two-hybrid assay to study the assembly of a complex multicomponent protein machinery: bacterial septosome differentiationG Di Lallo
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita Tor Vergata, Via della Ricerca Scientifica, I 00133 Rome, Italy
Microbiology 149:3353-9. 2003....
- Bacterial division: the fellowship of the ringWilliam Margolin
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Medical School, 6431 Fannin, 77030, Houston, TX, USA
Curr Biol 13:R16-8. 2003The Z ring, composed of the tubulin homolog FtsZ, is essential for bacterial cell division. Recently a new protein, ZapA, has been discovered that localizes to the Z ring and stabilizes it, probably by promoting the bundling of FtsZ ..
- Escherichia coli 6S RNA gene is part of a dual-function transcription unitL M Hsu
J Bacteriol 161:1162-70. 1985..Results from the expression analyses show that the protein and RNA coding regions are cotranscribed in vitro and that the open reading frame is translated in vivo...
- Detection of new genes in a bacterial genome using Markov models for three gene classesM Borodovsky
School of Biology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta 30332, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 23:3554-62. 1995....
- ASSEMBLY OF THE DIVISION SEPTUM IN ESCHERICHIA COLIDavid Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2003..In this regard, it is worth noting that four of the proteins to be studied here (FtsI and the three transglycosylases) are primary targets of beta-lactam antibiotics. ..