Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mug
Description: G/U mismatch-specific DNA glycosylase; xanthine DNA glycosylase
Alias: ECK3058, JW3040, dug, ygjF
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Role of mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase in repair of 3,N4-ethenocytosine in vivoJuan Jurado
Groupe Réparation de l AND, CNRS UMR 8113, LBPA ENS Cachan, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
DNA Repair (Amst) 3:1579-90. 2004..coli mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase (MUG) and the human thymine-DNA glycosylase (hTDG). In the present work we have generated mug defective mutant of E...
- A new class of uracil-DNA glycosylases related to human thymine-DNA glycosylaseP Gallinari
Istituto di Richerche di Biologia Molecolare P Angeletti, Pomezia, Italy
Nature 383:735-8. 1996....
- Crystal structure of a G:T/U mismatch-specific DNA glycosylase: mismatch recognition by complementary-strand interactionsT E Barrett
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, United Kingdom
Cell 92:117-29. 1998..Crystal structures of the mismatch-specific uracil DNA-glycosylase (MUG) from E...
- Chloroethylnitrosourea-derived ethano cytosine and adenine adducts are substrates for Escherichia coli glycosylases excising analogous etheno adductsAnton B Guliaev
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 3:1311-21. 2004..1,N6-ethanoadenine (EA), are novel substrates for the Escherichia coli mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase (Mug) and 3-methyladenine DNA glycosylase II (AlkA), respectively...
- Mismatch uracil glycosylase from Escherichia coli: a general mismatch or a specific DNA glycosylase?Rory J O'Neill
Imperial College London, Department of Biological Sciences, Sir Alexander Flemming Building, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:20526-32. 2003The gene for the mismatch-specific uracil glycosylase (MUG) was identified in the Escherichia coli genome as a sequence homolog of the mammalian thymine DNA glycosylase, with activity against uracil in U.G mismatches...
- The role of the Escherichia coli mug protein in the removal of uracil and 3,N(4)-ethenocytosine from DNAE Lutsenko
Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Biol Chem 274:31034-8. 1999..and Jiricny, J. (1996) Nature 383, 735-738) and is named mismatched uracil glycosylase (Mug). It has also been described to remove 3,N(4)-ethenocytosine (epsilonC) from epsilonC.G mismatches (Saparbaev, M...
- Crystal structure of a thwarted mismatch glycosylase DNA repair complexT E Barrett
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT
EMBO J 18:6599-609. 1999The bacterial mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase (MUG) and eukaryotic thymine-DNA glycosylase (TDG) enzymes form a homologous family of DNA glycosylases that initiate base-excision repair of G:U/T mismatches...
- Structure and function in the uracil-DNA glycosylase superfamilyL H Pearl
Section of Structural Biology and CRC DNA Repair Enzyme Group, Institute of Cancer Research, Chester Beatty Laboratories, 237 Fulham Road, SW3 6JB, London, UK
Mutat Res 460:165-81. 2000....
- Escherichia coli double-strand uracil-DNA glycosylase: involvement in uracil-mediated DNA base excision repair and stimulation of activity by endonuclease IVJ S Sung
Departments of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology and Biochemistry and Biophysics and the Environmental Health Science Center, Oregon State University, Corvallis 97731, USA
Biochemistry 39:10224-35. 2000Escherichia coli double-strand uracil-DNA glycosylase (Dug) was purified to apparent homogeneity as both a native and recombinant protein...
- 1,N(2)-ethenoguanine, a mutagenic DNA adduct, is a primary substrate of Escherichia coli mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase and human alkylpurine-DNA-N-glycosylaseMurat Saparbaev
Groupe Réparation de l ADN, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8532 CNRS, Laboratoire de Biotechnologies et Pharmacologie Génétique Appliquée Ecole Normale Supérieure Cachan, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 277:26987-93. 2002..we report that two structurally unrelated proteins, the Escherichia coli mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase (MUG) and the human alkylpurine-DNA-N-glycosylase (ANPG), can release 1,N(2)-epsilonG from defined oligonucleotides ..
- Novel activity of Escherichia coli mismatch uracil-DNA glycosylase (Mug) excising 8-(hydroxymethyl)-3,N4-ethenocytosine, a potential product resulting from glycidaldehyde reactionBo Hang
Donner Laboratory, Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Biochemistry 41:2158-65. 2002..coli, epsilonC has been shown previously to be a primary substrate for the mismatch uracil-DNA glycosylase (Mug). In this study, we report that the same glycosylase also acts on 8-HM-epsilonC in an oligonucleotide duplex...
- Escherichia coli DNA glycosylase Mug: a growth-regulated enzyme required for mutation avoidance in stationary-phase cellsS K Mokkapati
Department of Chemistry, 463 Chemistry Building, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Mol Microbiol 41:1101-11. 2001The Escherichia coli DNA glycosylase Mug excises 3,N(4)-ethenocytosines (epsilon C) and uracils from DNA, but its biological function is obscure. This is because epsilon C is not found in E...
- 3,N4-ethenocytosine, a highly mutagenic adduct, is a primary substrate for Escherichia coli double-stranded uracil-DNA glycosylase and human mismatch-specific thymine-DNA glycosylaseM Saparbaev
Groupe Reparation des lesions Radio et Chimio Induites, UMR 1772, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:8508-13. 1998..coli dsUDG and hTDG proteins in vitro suggests that these enzymes may be responsible for the repair of this mutagenic lesion in vivo and be important contributors to genetic stability...
- 7,8-Dihydro-8-oxoadenine, a highly mutagenic adduct, is repaired by Escherichia coli and human mismatch-specific uracil/thymine-DNA glycosylasesIbtissam Talhaoui
Groupe Réparation de l ADN, Universite Paris Sud, Laboratoire Stabilité Génétique et Oncogenèse CNRS, UMR 8200, Institut de Cancerologie Gustave Roussy, F 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Nucleic Acids Res 41:912-23. 2013..first time that human thymine-DNA glycosylase (hTDG) and Escherichia coli mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase (MUG) can remove 8oxoA from 8oxoA•T, 8oxoA•G and 8oxoA•C pairs...
- Fidelity of uracil-initiated base excision DNA repair in Escherichia coli cell extractsJ S Sung
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331 7301, USA
J Biol Chem 276:2276-85. 2001..uracil-DNA repair were measured using uracil-DNA glycosylase (Ung)- or double-strand uracil-DNA glycosylase (Dug)-proficient and -deficient isogenic E. coli cells. In reactions utilizing E...
- Substrate recognition by a family of uracil-DNA glycosylases: UNG, MUG, and TDGPingfang Liu
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, School of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 15:1001-9. 2002..coli mismatch uracil-DNA glycosylase (MUG), and the Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum mismatch thymine-DNA glycosylase (TDG)...
- Influence of local duplex stability and N6-methyladenine on uracil recognition by mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase (Mug)Victoria Valinluck
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, School of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California 92350, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 15:1595-601. 2002..of the uracil-DNA glycosylase family of repair enzymes, Escherichia coli mismatch-specific uracil-DNA glycosylase (Mug), is reported to distinguish U:G mispairs from U:A base pairs based upon specific contacts with the mispaired ..
- Repair of the mutagenic DNA oxidation product, 5-formyluracilPingfang Liu
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, School of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 2:199-210. 2003..The FoU:G lesion is shown to be repaired by E. coli mismatch uracil DNA glycosylase (Mug), thermophile mismatch thymine DNA glycosylase (Tdg), mouse mismatch thymine DNA glycosylase (mTDG) and human ..
- Thermostable uracil-DNA glycosylase from Thermotoga maritima a member of a novel class of DNA repair enzymesM Sandigursky
Departments of Radiology and Radiation Oncology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Curr Biol 9:531-4. 1999..The T. maritima UDG gene has a low level of homology to the E. coli G-T/U mismatch-specific DNA glycosylase gene (mug)...
- Structure of a DNA base-excision product resembling a cisplatin inter-strand adductT E Barrett
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, UK
Nat Struct Biol 5:697-701. 1998..of a self-complementary oligonucleotide with central G:T mismatches by the G:T/U-specific mismatch DNA glycosylase (MUG), generates an unusual DNA structure which is remarkably similar in conformation to an interstrand DNA adduct of ..
- Mismatch dependent uracil/thymine-DNA glycosylases excise exocyclic hydroxyethano and hydroxypropano cytosine adductsEwa Borys-Brzywczy
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warszawa, Poland
Acta Biochim Pol 52:149-65. 2005..The oligonucleotides carrying adducted cytosines were studied as substrates of Escherichia coli Mug, human TDG and fission yeast Thp1p glycosylases...
- Quantitative determination of uracil residues in Escherichia coli DNA: Contribution of ung, dug, and dut genes to uracil avoidanceSibghat Ullah Lari
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331 7301, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 5:1407-20. 2006..and the influence of defects in the genes for uracil-DNA glycosylase (ung), double-strand uracil-DNA glycosylase (dug), and dUTP pyrophosphatase (dut) on uracil accumulation was determined...
- Mechanisms of base selection by the Escherichia coli mispaired uracil glycosylasePingfang Liu
Department of Basic Science, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
J Biol Chem 283:8829-36. 2008..substrates containing both uracil and purine analogs for the Escherichia coli mispaired uracil glycosylase (MUG)...
- Identification of Escherichia coli mismatch-specific uracil DNA glycosylase as a robust xanthine DNA glycosylaseHyun Wook Lee
Department of Genetics and Biochemistry, South Carolina Experiment Station, Clemson, South Carolina 29634, USA
J Biol Chem 285:41483-90. 2010The gene for the mismatch-specific uracil DNA glycosylase (MUG) was identified in the Escherichia coli genome as a sequence homolog of the human thymine DNA glycosylase with activity against mismatched uracil base pairs...
- Differential modes of DNA binding by mismatch uracil DNA glycosylase from Escherichia coli: implications for abasic lesion processing and enzyme communication in the base excision repair pathwaySeden Grippon
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Chemical Biology Centre, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 39:2593-603. 2011Mismatch uracil DNA glycosylase (Mug) from Escherichia coli is an initiating enzyme in the base-excision repair pathway. As with other DNA glycosylases, the abasic product is potentially more harmful than the initial lesion...
- The role of AlkB protein in repair of 1,N⁶-ethenoadenine in Escherichia coli cellsAgnieszka M Maciejewska
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Department of Molecular Biology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 5A Pawinskiego Street, 02 106 Warsaw, Poland
Mutagenesis 26:401-6. 2011..chloride, chloroacetaldehyde (CAA), but eliminates its cytotoxicity, we studied the participation of alkA, alkB and mug gene products in the repair of εA in Escherichia coli cells...
- The nucleotide sequence of the cloned rpoD gene for the RNA polymerase sigma subunit from E coli K12Z Burton
Nucleic Acids Res 9:2889-903. 1981..The molecular weight of 70,263 daltons calculated for the 613 amino acid polypeptides is significantly lower than had been determined previously by SDS polyacrylamide gel analysis...
- Detection of new genes in a bacterial genome using Markov models for three gene classesM Borodovsky
School of Biology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta 30332, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 23:3554-62. 1995....
- Enzyme Repair of Excoyclic AdductsBo Hang; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..