Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fur
Description: ferric iron uptake regulon transcriptional repressor; autorepressor
Alias: ECK0671, JW0669
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Metal binding characteristics and role of iron oxidation in the ferric uptake regulator from Escherichia coliStephen A Mills
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Biochemistry 44:13553-9. 2005..is believed to be the primary functional metal in vivo; however, the ability of other divalent cations to activate Fur brings into question the true physiological metal...
- A method for direct cloning of fur-regulated genes: identification of seven new fur-regulated loci in Escherichia coliN Vassinova
Department of Biophysics, St Petersburg State Technical University, 29 Polytechnicheskaya Str, St Petersburg 195251, Russia
Microbiology 146:3171-82. 2000A strain that allows the cloning of Fur-regulated loci was constructed. The strain, named FUR-SEL1, contains a chromosomal fhuA'-'cat transcriptional fusion that is expressed from the Fur-regulated promoter, fhuA(p)...
- The ferric uptake regulation (Fur) repressor is a zinc metalloproteinE W Althaus
Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208 3113, USA
Biochemistry 38:6559-69. 1999The Fur protein regulates the expression of a wide variety of iron-responsive genes; however, the interaction of this repressor with its cognate metal ion remains controversial...
- A small RNA regulates the expression of genes involved in iron metabolism in Escherichia coliEric Massé
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, Building 37, Room 5132, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:4620-5. 2002..proteins when iron is limiting; it is itself negatively regulated by the ferric uptake repressor protein, Fur (Ferric uptake regulator)...
- Fur-DNA interactions at the bidirectional fepDGC-entS promoter region in Escherichia coliJennifer L Lavrrar
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, University of Missouri Columbia, School of Medicine, 65212, USA
J Mol Biol 322:983-95. 2002The transcriptional repressor Fur binds to a 19-bp consensus sequence, 5'-GATAATGATAATCATTATC-3', under high iron conditions. The fepDGC-entS promoter of Escherichia coli contains two Fur-binding sites (FBS) offset by 6bp...
- Iron and oxygen regulation of Escherichia coli MnSOD expression: competition between the global regulators Fur and ArcA for binding to DNAB Tardat
Institut Jacques Monod, CNRS, Universite Paris 7, France
Mol Microbiol 9:53-63. 1993..in Escherichia coli, is negatively regulated by two global regulators, ArcA (aerobic respiration control) and Fur (ferric uptake regulation), coupling its expression to aerobic metabolism and the intracellular iron pool...
- Oxidant-responsive induction of the suf operon, encoding a Fe-S assembly system, through Fur and IscR in Escherichia coliKyung Chang Lee
School of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University, Kwanak gu, Seoul 151 742, South Korea
J Bacteriol 190:8244-7. 2008..For apo-IscR to bind, oxidation-mediated dissociation of Fur is required...
- Architecture of a fur binding site: a comparative analysisJennifer L Lavrrar
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
J Bacteriol 185:2194-202. 2003b>Fur is an iron-binding transcriptional repressor that recognizes a 19-bp consensus site of the sequence 5'-GATAATGATAATCATTATC-3'...
- Global iron-dependent gene regulation in Escherichia coli. A new mechanism for iron homeostasisJonathan P McHugh
School of Animal and Microbial Sciences, University of Reading, Reading, RG6 6AJ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:29478-86. 2003..This Fe-dependent repression is mediated by a transcriptional repressor, Fur (ferric uptake regulation), which also controls genes involved in other processes such as iron storage, the ..
- Coupled degradation of a small regulatory RNA and its mRNA targets in Escherichia coliEric Massé
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genes Dev 17:2374-83. 2003RyhB is a small antisense regulatory RNA that is repressed by the Fur repressor and negatively regulates at least six mRNAs encoding Fe-binding or Fe-storage proteins in Escherichia coli...
- Induction of the ferritin gene (ftnA) of Escherichia coli by Fe(2+)-Fur is mediated by reversal of H-NS silencing and is RyhB independentAnjali Nandal
School of Biological Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AJ, UK
Mol Microbiol 75:637-57. 2010..The FtnA gene (ftnA) is induced by iron in an Fe(2+)-Fur-dependent fashion. This effect is reportedly mediated by RyhB, the Fe(2+)-Fur-repressed, small, regulatory RNA...
- Ferric uptake regulation protein acts as a repressor, employing iron (II) as a cofactor to bind the operator of an iron transport operon in Escherichia coliA Bagg
Department of Biochemistry, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Biochemistry 26:5471-7. 1987The Fur (ferric uptake regulation) protein is a negative regulator of the aerobactin operon and of several other siderophore-mediated, high-affinity iron transport systems in Escherichia coli...
- Control of Escherichia coli superoxide dismutase (sodA and sodB) genes by the ferric uptake regulation (fur) locusE C Niederhoffer
Isotope and Structural Chemistry Group INC 4, Los Alamos, National Laboratory, New Mexico 87545
J Bacteriol 172:1930-8. 1990The ferric uptake regulation (fur) gene product participates in regulating expression of the manganese- and iron-containing superoxide dismutase genes of Escherichia coli...
- Genetic regulation of fluxes: iron homeostasis of Escherichia coliSzabolcs Semsey
Center for Models of Life, Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
Nucleic Acids Res 34:4960-7. 2006..We suggest that Fe-S cluster assembly is crucial to prevent the accumulation of toxic levels of free intracellular iron when the environment suddenly becomes iron rich...
- Effect of RyhB small RNA on global iron use in Escherichia coliEric Massé
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Bacteriol 187:6962-71. 2005RyhB is a noncoding RNA regulated by the Fur repressor. It has previously been shown to cause the rapid degradation of a number of mRNAs that encode proteins that utilize iron...
- Ironing out the problem: new mechanisms of iron homeostasisEric Massé
Universite de Sherbrooke, Departement de Biochimie, Quebec, Canada
Trends Biochem Sci 30:462-8. 2005..The common characteristics of these three different organisms suggest a novel mechanism of iron homeostasis...
- Fur (ferric uptake regulation) protein and CAP (catabolite-activator protein) modulate transcription of fur gene in Escherichia coliV de Lorenzo
Department of Biochemistry, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Eur J Biochem 173:537-46. 1988A fusion between the fur (ferric uptake regulation) gene, known to mediate negative regulation of iron absorption in Escherichia coli, and lacZ was constructed in vitro...
- OxyR and SoxRS regulation of furM Zheng
Cell Biology and Metabolism Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Bacteriol 181:4639-43. 1999..that regulators of the Escherichia coli responses to oxidative stress, OxyR and SoxRS, activate the expression of Fur, the global repressor of ferric ion uptake...
- Deciphering Fur transcriptional regulatory network highlights its complex role beyond iron metabolism in Escherichia coliSang Woo Seo
1 Department of Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0412, USA 2
Nat Commun 5:4910. 2014The ferric uptake regulator (Fur) plays a critical role in the transcriptional regulation of iron metabolism. However, the full regulatory potential of Fur remains undefined...
- Fur is the master regulator of the extraintestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli response to serumSagi Huja
Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
MBio 5:. 2014..In particular, the serum metabolic response is coordinated by three transcriptional regulators, Fur, BasR, and CysB. Fur alone was responsible for more than 80% of the serum-induced transcriptional response...
- Environmental regulation of the long polar fimbriae 2 of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7Margarita M Arenas-Hernández
Posgrado en Microbiología, Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla, Puebla, Mexico Licenciatura en Biomedicina, Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla, Puebla, Mexico Centro de Investigaciones en Ciencias Microbiológicas, Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla, Puebla, Mexico
FEMS Microbiol Lett 357:105-14. 2014..expression was decreased under iron-depleted conditions, its expression was increased in a ferric-uptake-regulator (Fur) mutant strain. The lpfA2 transcript was 0.7 and 2 times more abundant in wt EHEC grown in DMEM pH 6...
- Dynamics of a starvation-to-surfeit shift: a transcriptomic and modelling analysis of the bacterial response to zinc reveals transient behaviour of the Fur and SoxS regulatorsAlison I Graham
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, The University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Microbiology 158:284-92. 2012..transcriptomic data generated from the Zn shift focused on the role of ten key regulators; ArsR, BaeR, CpxR, CusR, Fur, OxyR, SoxS, ZntR, ZraR and Zur...
- Insights into the molecular basis of L-form formation and survival in Escherichia coliWilliam A Glover
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7316. 2009..a positive response regulator of colanic acid capsule synthesis, ruvA, a recombinational junction binding protein, fur, a ferric uptake regulator and smpA a small membrane lipoprotein were selected for complementation...
- RecA-dependent mutants in Escherichia coli reveal strategies to avoid chromosomal fragmentationElena A Kouzminova
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801 3709, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:16262-7. 2004..The tdk and rdgB mutants affect synthesis of DNA precursors. The fur, ubiE, and ubiH mutants are likely to have increased levels of reactive oxygen species...
- Iron(II) triggered conformational changes in Escherichia coli fur upon DNA binding: a study using molecular modelingMazen Y Hamed
Computational Science Program, Chemistry Department, Birzeit University, PO Box 14, Birzeit, Palestine
J Mol Graph Model 25:234-46. 2006In order to identify the Fur dimerization domain, a three-dimensional structure of the ferric uptake regulation protein from Escherichia coli (Fur EC) was determined using homology modeling and energy minimization...
- Structural changes of Escherichia coli ferric uptake regulator during metal-dependent dimerization and activation explored by NMR and X-ray crystallographyLudovic Pecqueur
Laboratoire de Résonance Magnétique Nucléaire des Protéines and Laboratoire de Cristallographie et de Cristallogénèse des Protéines, Grenoble, France
J Biol Chem 281:21286-95. 2006Ferric uptake regulator (Fur) is a global bacterial regulator that uses iron as a cofactor to bind to specific DNA sequences. Escherichia coli Fur is usually isolated as a homodimer with two metal sites per subunit...
- Structural analysis and classification of native proteins from E. coli commonly co-purified by immobilised metal affinity chromatographyVictor Martin Bolanos-Garcia
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, 80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1GA, England
Biochim Biophys Acta 1760:1304-13. 2006..The work presented here reviews the native proteins from E. coli most commonly co-purified by IMAC, including Fur, Crp, ArgE, SlyD, GlmS, GlgA, ODO1, ODO2, YadF and YfbG...
- Transcriptional response of Escherichia coli to TPENTara K Sigdel
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, 160 Hughes Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
J Bacteriol 188:6709-13. 2006..Fifty-five transcripts were significantly up-regulated, including all of the genes that are regulated by Zur and many that are regulated by Fur. In the same TPEN-treated cells, 46 transcripts were significantly down-regulated.
- Multiple regulators of the Flavohaemoglobin (hmp) gene of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium include RamA, a transcriptional regulator conferring the multidrug resistance phenotypeElizabeth Hernández-Urzúa
Laboratorio de Microbiología y Genética Molecular, Departamento de Biologia Molecular y Biotecnologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, PO Box 70 228, Coyoacan, Mexico City 04510, Mexico
Arch Microbiol 187:67-77. 2007..and Salmonella modest transcriptional repression of hmp is exerted by the iron responsive transcriptional repressor Fur. Finally, in contrast to previous reports, we show that in E...
- Induction of a global stress response during the first step of Escherichia coli plate growthCaroline Cuny
Laboratoire de Chimie Bacterienne, UPR 9043, CNRS, 31, Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:885-9. 2007..several global regulons, like heat shock regulons (RpoH, RpoE, CpxAR) and oxidative-stress regulons (SoxRS, OxyR, Fur), were immediately induced...
- Functional specialization within the Fur family of metalloregulatorsJin Won Lee
Department of Microbiology, Cornell University, Wing Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853 8101, USA
Biometals 20:485-99. 2007The ferric uptake regulator (Fur) protein, as originally described in Escherichia coli, is an iron-sensing repressor that controls the expression of genes for siderophore biosynthesis and iron transport...
- Discovery of Fur binding site clusters in Escherichia coli by information theory modelsZehua Chen
National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program, Basic Research Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:6762-77. 2007b>Fur is a DNA binding protein that represses bacterial iron uptake systems...
- Mutual regulation of Crl and Fur in Escherichia coli W3110Cécile Lelong
Laboratoire Adaptation et Pathogenie des Microorganismes, Institut Jean Roget, Domaine de la Merci, Universite Joseph Fourier, BP 170, 38042 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Mol Cell Proteomics 6:660-8. 2007..showed that Crl regulates the expression of another global regulator, the central regulator of iron homeostasis, Fur. A molecular analysis revealed that Crl and Fur affect their own and each other's expression...
- Carbon monoxide-releasing antibacterial molecules target respiration and global transcriptional regulatorsKelly S Davidge
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, The University of Sheffield, Firth Ct, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:4516-24. 2009..Probabilistic modeling of transcriptomic data identified the global transcription regulators ArcA, CRP, Fis, FNR, Fur, BaeR, CpxR, and IHF as targets and potential CO sensors...
- Reversible redox- and zinc-dependent dimerization of the Escherichia coli fur proteinBenoît D'Autreaux
Laboratoire de Physicochimie des Métaux en Biologie, UMR 5155 CNRS CEA UJF, Departement Reponse et Dynamique Cellulaires, CEA Grenoble, 17 Avenue des Martyrs, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Biochemistry 46:1329-42. 2007b>Fur is a bacterial regulator using iron as a cofactor to bind to specific DNA sequences. This protein exists in solution as several oligomeric states, of which the dimer is generally assumed to be the biologically relevant one...
- Binding of the Zn2+ ion to ferric uptake regulation protein from E. coli and the competition with Fe2+ binding: a molecular modeling study of the effect on DNA binding and conformational changes of FurSalih Jabour
Computational Science Program, Chemistry Department, Birzeit University, P O Box 14, Birzeit, Palestine
J Comput Aided Mol Des 23:199-208. 2009..Fe2+, when added to the complex consisting of 2Zn2+/Fur dimer/DNA, replaced the Zn2+ ion in the zinc site and when a second Fe2+ was added, it replaced the second zinc ion ..
- Control of Fur synthesis by the non-coding RNA RyhB and iron-responsive decodingBranislav Vecerek
Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
EMBO J 26:965-75. 2007The Fe2+-dependent Fur protein serves as a negative regulator of iron uptake in bacteria. As only metallo-Fur acts as an autogeneous repressor, Fe2+scarcity would direct fur expression when continued supply is not obviously required...
- Fur-dependent detoxification of organic acids by rpoS mutants during prolonged incubation under aerobic, phosphate starvation conditionsMélanie L Guillemet
Laboratoire de Chimie Bacterienne, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 13009 Marseille, France
J Bacteriol 190:5567-75. 2008..The characteristic metabolism of rpoS mutants required the activity of Fur (ferric uptake regulator) in order to decrease the synthesis of the small RNA RyhB that might otherwise inhibit the ..
- Submicromolar hydrogen peroxide disrupts the ability of Fur protein to control free-iron levels in Escherichia coliShery Varghese
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Mol Microbiol 64:822-30. 2007..We observed that in defined medium these strains constitutively expressed members of the Fur regulon. Iron-import proteins, which Fur normally represses, were fully induced...
- A comparative analysis of perturbations caused by a gene knock-out, a dominant negative allele, and a set of peptide aptamersNadia Abed
Differentiation and Cell Cycle Group, Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire de la Cellule, UMR 5239 CNRS ENS Lyon, Universite Lyon 1, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, IFR 128 Biosciences Lyon Gerland, 46 allee d Italie, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Mol Cell Proteomics 6:2110-21. 2007..Here we used the Escherichia coli global transcription regulator Fur (ferric uptake regulator) as a case study to compare the perturbations exerted by a gene knock-out, the expression ..
- Effect of fur on pyrC gene expressionSangho Chai
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Hallym University, Chun Cheon, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 45:583-9. 2007The promoter region of pyrC (dihydroorotase) gene of Escherichia coli was shown to have Fur protein binding properties by gel retardation assay...
- A role of RnlA in the RNase LS activity from Escherichia coliYuichi Otsuka
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Genes Genet Syst 82:291-9. 2007..Among these, triose phosphate isomerase exhibited a remarkable affinity to RnlA. These results suggest that RnlA plays a central role in RNase LS activity and that its activity is regulated by multiple components...
- Structural biology of bacterial iron uptake systemsT E Clarke
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Curr Top Med Chem 1:7-30. 2001..Likewise, the iron-sensitive gene regulatory protein Fur is found in most bacteria...
- Structural dynamics and functional domains of the fur proteinM Coy
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Biochemistry 30:8201-10. 1991Proteolytic enzymes were used to detect metal-induced conformational changes in the ferric uptake regulation (Fur) protein of Escherichia coli K12...
- The binding of the ferric uptake regulation protein to a DNA fragmentT Saito
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, University of Oxford, England
Eur J Biochem 197:43-7. 1991..NMR, we have studied the binding of a DNA fragment in double-stranded form to the ferric uptake regulation protein, Fur. We have also looked at the binding of [Cr(CN)6]3- to Fur with a view to testing whether binding is due to ..
- Two global regulators repress the anaerobic expression of MnSOD in Escherichia coli::Fur (ferric uptake regulation) and Arc (aerobic respiration control)B Tardat
Institut Jacques Monod, CNRS, Universite Paris 7, France
Mol Microbiol 5:455-65. 1991..expressing sodA in the absence of oxygen has revealed that mutations in genes for two global regulatory systems, Fur (ferric uptake regulation) and Arc (aerobic respiration control), are simultaneously required for the expression of ..
- Regulation of bacterial gene expression by metal-protein complexesH Hennecke
Mikrobiologisches Institut, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule, ETH Zentrum, Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Microbiol 4:1621-8. 1990..Other metal-dependent regulatory proteins may function, directly or indirectly, as sensors of the cellular oxygen status, and may even be mediators in light-responsive gene regulation...
- Expression, isolation and properties of Fur (ferric uptake regulation) protein of Escherichia coli K 12S Wee
Department of Biochemistry, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Biol Met 1:62-8. 1988The cloned fur (ferric uptake regulation) gene of Escherichia coli K12 was ligated to an expression vector which was inducible with nalidixic acid...
- Mapping of a mutation affecting regulation of iron uptake systems in Escherichia coli K-12A Bagg
J Bacteriol 161:450-3. 1985..The site of a mutation resulting in constitutive derepression of iron uptake systems has been localized at 15.7 min on the genetic map of Escherichia coli K-12...
- Cloning of the repressor protein gene of iron-regulated systems in Escherichia coli K12K Hantke
Mol Gen Genet 197:337-41. 1984In Escherichia coli the iron uptake systems are regulated by the fur gene product...
- Protein-induced bending as a transcriptional switchJ Perez-Martin
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
Science 260:805-7. 1993..The catabolite activating protein binding site of the fur operon was replaced by the binding site of the RepA repressor protein, which is able to bend DNA immediately after ..
- Role of enterobactin and intracellular iron in cell lethality during near-UV irradiation in Escherichia coliJ Hoerter
Department of Biological Sciences, Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI 49307 2225, USA
Photochem Photobiol 64:537-41. 1996In Escherichia coli, fur mutants that constitutively express their native iron chelating agent, enterobactin, are significantly more sensitive to near-UV radiation (NUV) than wild type, An entA mutant, which is incapable of synthesizing ..
- Spectroscopic and saturation magnetization properties of the manganese- and cobalt-substituted Fur (ferric uptake regulation) protein from Escherichia coliA Adrait
Laboratoire de Chimie de Coordination Unité de Recherche Associée au CNRS No 1194, Service de Chimie Inorganique et Biologique, Departement de Recherche Fondamentale sur la Matiere Condensee, CEA Grenoble, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Biochemistry 38:6248-60. 1999The Fur apoprotein has been purified and reconstituted with Co2+ and Mn2+ ions. These samples have been analyzed by UV-visible, EPR, and 1H NMR spectroscopies, by XAS, and by magnetization measurements...
- Characterization of the DNA-binding site in the ferric uptake regulator protein from Escherichia coli by UV crosslinking and mass spectrometryAli Tiss
Laboratoire de Spectrométrie de Masse des Protéines, Institut de Biologie Structurale UMR 5075 CEA CNRS UJF, Grenoble, France
FEBS Lett 579:5454-60. 2005Ferric uptake regulator protein (Fur) is activated by its cofactor iron to a state that binds to a specific DNA sequence called 'Fur box'...
- Members of the Fur protein family regulate iron and zinc transport in E. coli and characteristics of the Fur-regulated fhuF proteinKlaus Hantke
Mikrobiologie Membranphysiologie, Universitat Tubingen, Germany
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 4:217-22. 2002The regulator Fur represses with Fe2+ as cofactor iron uptake genes. The fhuF gene reacts very sensitive to minor changes of Fe2+ and Fur...
- Systematic search for zinc-binding proteins in Escherichia coliAkira Katayama
National Institute of Genetics, Department of Molecular Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan
Eur J Biochem 269:2403-13. 2002..coli increased up to more than 30 species (or more than 3% of about 1000 proteins expressed under laboratory culture conditions). The specificity and affinity of zinc-binding were analysed for some of the zinc-binding proteins...
- Direct inhibition by nitric oxide of the transcriptional ferric uptake regulation protein via nitrosylation of the ironBenoît D'Autreaux
Laboratoire de Physicochimie des Métaux en Biologie Formation de Recherche en Evolution Université Joseph Fourier Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique no 2427, Grenoble, F 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:16619-24. 2002Ferric uptake regulation protein (Fur) is a bacterial global regulator that uses iron as a cofactor to bind to specific DNA sequences. The function of Fur is not limited to iron homeostasis...
- Escherichia coli response to exogenous pyrophosphate and analogsFrancis Biville
Département de Biochimie et Génétique moléculaire, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 5:37-45. 2003..of iron had the same positive effects as pyrophosphate on growth yield, cAMP synthesis and the repression of Fur-regulated genes. In contrast, imidodiphosphate did not affect these cellular processes significantly...
- Iron uptake by Escherichia coliVolkmar Braun
Mikrobiologie Membranphysiologie, Universitat Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 28, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Front Biosci 8:s1409-21. 2003..Transcription of the transport protein genes is regulated by the Fur protein, which when loaded with ferrous iron functions as a repressor...
- Interaction of the RNA chaperone Hfq with mRNAs: direct and indirect roles of Hfq in iron metabolism of Escherichia coliBranislav Vecerek
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Genetics, University Department at the Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohrgasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Mol Microbiol 50:897-909. 2003..The effect of Hfq on some of the corresponding mRNAs including fur, gapA, metF, ppiB and sodB mRNA was assessed, using different in vitro and in vivo methods...
- Escherichia coli deltafur mutant displays low HPII catalase activity in stationary phaseLudmil Benov
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Redox Rep 8:379-83. 2003..In Escherichia coli, iron metabolism is regulated by the Fur protein...
- Linkage between catecholate siderophores and the multicopper oxidase CueO in Escherichia coliGregor Grass
Department of Soil, Water, and Environmental Science, University of Arizona, Shantz Bldg 38, Rm 424, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Bacteriol 186:5826-33. 2004..coli cells, but the addition of purified CueO led to their survival. Deletion of fur resulted in copper hypersensitivity that was alleviated by additional deletion of entC, preventing synthesis of ..
- Regulatory roles of Fnr, Fur, and Arc in expression of manganese-containing superoxide dismutase in Escherichia coliH M Hassan
Department of Biochemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7622
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:3217-21. 1992..Strains harboring simultaneous mutations in arcA/B and fur expressed sodA-lacZ under anaerobic growth conditions but were still inducible by iron chelators...
- FieF (YiiP) from Escherichia coli mediates decreased cellular accumulation of iron and relieves iron stressGregor Grass
Institut fur Mikrobiologie, Martin Luther Universität Halle, Kurt Mothes Str 3, Halle 06120, Germany
Arch Microbiol 183:9-18. 2005..with iron concentration; however, expression appeared to be independent of the ferrous iron uptake regulator Fur. Absence of FieF led to decreased growth of E...
- Functional interactions between the carbon and iron utilization regulators, Crp and Fur, in Escherichia coliZhongge Zhang
Division of Biological Sciences, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0116, USA
J Bacteriol 187:980-90. 2005In Escherichia coli, the ferric uptake regulator (Fur) controls expression of the iron regulon in response to iron availability while the cyclic AMP receptor protein (Crp) regulates expression of the carbon regulon in response to carbon ..
- Reduced hydroperoxidase (HPI and HPII) activity in the Deltafur mutant contributes to increased sensitivity to UVA radiation in Escherichia coliJames D Hoerter
Department of Biological Sciences, Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI 49307, USA
J Photochem Photobiol B 79:151-7. 2005..hydroxyl radical (HO.), hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and singlet oxygen (1O2). There is accumulating evidence that Fur may play an important role in the defense against UVA radiation...
- Identification of the two zinc-bound cysteines in the ferric uptake regulation protein from Escherichia coli: chemical modification and mass spectrometry analysisA Gonzalez de Peredo
Laboratoire de Spectrométrie de Masse des Protéines, Institut de Biologie Structurale, 38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France
Biochemistry 38:8582-9. 1999..combined with mass spectrometry analysis was used to characterize cysteine ligands in the zinc-binding site of the Fur protein...
- Nitric oxide in chemostat-cultured Escherichia coli is sensed by Fnr and other global regulators: unaltered methionine biosynthesis indicates lack of S nitrosationSteven T Pullan
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
J Bacteriol 189:1845-55. 2007..Other global regulators apparently affected by NO were IscR, Fur, SoxR, NsrR, and NorR...
- An integrated network approach identifies the isobutanol response network of Escherichia coliMark P Brynildsen
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Mol Syst Biol 5:277. 2009..Quinone/quinol malfunction was postulated to activate ArcA, Fur, and PhoB in this study...
- Nucleotide sequence of the iron regulatory gene furS Schaffer
Mol Gen Genet 200:110-3. 1985The fur gene of Escherichia coli is involved in all iron-regulated transcriptions hitherto studied. The nucleotide sequence of an 868 basepair fragment containing the fur gene was determined. There was only a single longer reading frame...
- Automated Chip-Based Metabolomic AnalysisJames Liao; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Protein Oxidation in Skin Cells by Tan Bed IrradiationJAMES HOERTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Engineering Large scale pathways from organisms to Escherichia coliJames Liao; Fiscal Year: 2008..In particular, selected projects proposed here will be used as modules in a workshop established by FRT at Ohio State and form the basis for a course (Metabolic Engineering) at UCLA. ..
- Chemogenomic Analysis of E. coli Response to NO speciesJames C Liao; Fiscal Year: 2010..If hew TF targets are predicted, then the iteration continues. Otherwise, the predicted networks are verified using genetic and biochemical experiments. ..
- Nitric Oxide Interaction with Red Blood CellsJames C Liao; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific aim 2 will focus on the functional roles of this regulation using isolated porcine pulmonary and coronary microvessels. Together, these results will suggest clinical relevance and potential interventions. ..