Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: efeB
Description: deferrrochelatase, periplasmic
Alias: ECK1009, JW1004, ycdB
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- EfeUOB (YcdNOB) is a tripartite, acid-induced and CpxAR-regulated, low-pH Fe2+ transporter that is cryptic in Escherichia coli K-12 but functional in E. coli O157:H7Jieni Cao
School of Biological Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AJ, UK
Mol Microbiol 65:857-75. 2007..EfeO is periplasmic with a cupredoxin N-terminal domain; EfeB is also periplasmic and is haem peroxidase-like. All three Efe proteins are required for Efe function...
- DnaK plays a pivotal role in Tat targeting of CueO and functions beside SlyD as a general Tat signal binding chaperoneWenke Graubner
Institute of Microbiology, University of Halle Wittenberg, Kurt Mothes Strasse 3, D 06120 Halle, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:7116-24. 2007..Deletion of dnaK completely abolished Tat-dependent translocation of CueO, but not of DmsA, YcdB, or HiPIP, indicating that DnaK has an essential role specifically for CueO...
- Preliminary X-ray diffraction analysis of YcdB from Escherichia coli: a novel haem-containing and Tat-secreted periplasmic protein with a potential role in iron transportMichaël L Cartron
School of Biological Sciences, University of Reading, England
Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 63:37-41. 2007b>YcdB is a periplasmic haem-containing protein from Escherichia coli that has a potential role in iron transport. It is currently the only reported haem-containing Tat-secreted substrate...
- A new ferrous iron-uptake transporter, EfeU (YcdN), from Escherichia coliCornelia Grosse
Institute for Microbiology, Martin Luther University, Halle, Germany
Mol Microbiol 62:120-31. 2006..In vitro the EfeU variant protein with an altered first REGLE motif was impaired in iron permeation, whereas activity of the EfeU variant with a mutation in the second motif was similar to the wild-type protein...
- YcdB from Escherichia coli reveals a novel class of Tat-dependently translocated hemoproteinsAlexander Sturm
Institute for Microbiology, Martin Luther University of Halle Wittenberg, Kurt Mothes Strasse 3, Halle, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:13972-8. 2006..in the reasons for the Tat dependence of novel Tat substrates and focused on two uncharacterized proteins, YcdO and YcdB. Both proteins contain predicted Tat signal sequences...
- luxS-dependent gene regulation in Escherichia coli K-12 revealed by genomic expression profilingLiang Wang
Center for Biosystems Research, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Bacteriol 187:8350-60. 2005..These data are consistent with the function of LuxS as an important metabolic enzyme but appear not to support the role of AI-2 as a true signal molecule for E. coli W3110 under the investigated conditions...
- Effect of RyhB small RNA on global iron use in Escherichia coliEric Massé
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Bacteriol 187:6962-71. 2005..Our results demonstrate the broad effects of a single noncoding RNA on iron homeostasis...
- Genome-wide expression analysis indicates that FNR of Escherichia coli K-12 regulates a large number of genes of unknown functionYisheng Kang
Department of Genetics, 425 Henry Mall, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Bacteriol 187:1135-60. 2005..We suggest that E. coli MG1655 has a larger metabolic potential under anaerobic conditions than has been previously recognized...
- pH regulates genes for flagellar motility, catabolism, and oxidative stress in Escherichia coli K-12Lisa M Maurer
Department of Biology, Higley Hall, 202 N College Dr, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH 43022, USA
J Bacteriol 187:304-19. 2005....
- Molecular analysis of the phoH gene, belonging to the phosphate regulon in Escherichia coliS K Kim
Department of Experimental Chemotherapy, Osaka University, Japan
J Bacteriol 175:1316-24. 1993..Transcription from the P1 promoter required the phoB function and was induced by phosphate limitation, while transcription from the P2 promoter was independent of phoB and constitutive under tested conditions...
- Profiling early osmostress-dependent gene expression in Escherichia coli using DNA macroarraysArnim Weber
Abteilung Mikrobiologie, Fachbereich Biologie chemie, Universitat Osnabruck, D 49069 Osnabruck, Germany
J Bacteriol 184:5502-7. 2002..Northern blot analysis of several selected genes differing in their relative expression values confirmed the results obtained by the array technology...
- FlhD/FlhC is a regulator of anaerobic respiration and the Entner-Doudoroff pathway through induction of the methyl-accepting chemotaxis protein AerBirgit M Prüss
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612 7344, USA
J Bacteriol 185:534-43. 2003..Growth phenotypes of flhD and flhC mutants were determined with Phenotype MicroArrays and correlated with gene expression...
- Global iron-dependent gene regulation in Escherichia coli. A new mechanism for iron homeostasisJonathan P McHugh
School of Animal and Microbial Sciences, University of Reading, Reading, RG6 6AJ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:29478-86. 2003..In combination, the results provide compelling evidence for the regulation of intracellular iron consumption by the Fe2+-Fur complex...
- Stationary-phase quorum-sensing signals affect autoinducer-2 and gene expression in Escherichia coliDacheng Ren
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269 3222, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:2038-43. 2004..coli K-12 AI-2 concentrations by 4.8-fold +/- 0.4-fold, suggesting that an additional quorum-sensing system in E. coli exists and that gene expression is controlled as a network with different signals working at different growth stages...
- Bacteria capture iron from heme by keeping tetrapyrrol skeleton intactSylvie Létoffé
Unité des Membranes Bactériennes, Departement de Microbiologie, Institut Pasteur, CNRS URA 2172, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:11719-24. 2009..Here, we identified 2 Escherichia coli paralogs, YfeX and EfeB, without any previously known physiological functions...
- Sequences that direct significant levels of frameshifting are frequent in coding regions of Escherichia coliOlga L Gurvich
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, 15N 2030E Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5330, USA
EMBO J 22:5941-50. 2003..The unexpected conclusion is that moderate frameshifting during expression of at least some other genes is not sufficiently harmful for cells to trigger strong negative evolutionary pressure...