Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ECs4108
Description: serine endoprotease
Species: Escherichia coli O157:H7 str. Sakai
- DegS is necessary for virulence and is among extraintestinal Escherichia coli genes induced in murine peritonitisPeter Redford
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 53706 1532, USA
Infect Immun 71:3088-96. 2003..The basis for the virulence attenuation is unclear, but because DegS is needed for sigma(E) activity, our findings implicate sigma(E) and its regulon in E. coli extraintestinal pathogenesis...
- Roles of DegP in prevention of protein misfolding in the periplasm upon overexpression of penicillin acylase in Escherichia coliKao Lu Pan
Department of Chemical Engineering, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan 407, Republic of China
J Bacteriol 185:3020-30. 2003..The chaperone activity of DegP is proposed to be another possible factor contributing to the suppression...
- OMP peptide signals initiate the envelope-stress response by activating DegS protease via relief of inhibition mediated by its PDZ domainNathan P Walsh
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell 113:61-71. 2003..Peptide binding to inhibitory PDZ domains in proteases related to DegS, including DegP/HtrA, may also regulate the degradation of specific substrates by these enzymes...
- A stress sensor for the bacterial periplasmJason C Young
Cellular Biochemistry, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18a, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Cell 113:1-2. 2003..This interaction relieves the inhibition of the neighboring protease domain of DegS, triggering a proteolysis cascade that leads to the sigma(E)-driven expression of periplasmic chaperones...
- DegS and YaeL participate sequentially in the cleavage of RseA to activate the sigma(E)-dependent extracytoplasmic stress responseBenjamin M Alba
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Genes Dev 16:2156-68. 2002..Thus, mammalian and bacterial cells employ a conserved proteolytic mechanism to activate membrane-associated transcription factors that initiate intercompartmental cellular stress responses...
- YaeL (EcfE) activates the sigma(E) pathway of stress response through a site-2 cleavage of anti-sigma(E), RseAKazue Kanehara
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Genes Dev 16:2147-55. 2002..Thus, YaeL is positively required for the sigma(E) extracytoplasmic stress response...
- degS (hhoB) is an essential Escherichia coli gene whose indispensable function is to provide sigma (E) activityB M Alba
Department of Biochemistry, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Mol Microbiol 40:1323-33. 2001..We also show that the putative active site of DegS is periplasmic and that DegS requires its N-terminal transmembrane domain for its sigma (E)-related function...
- The Escherichia coli sigma(E)-dependent extracytoplasmic stress response is controlled by the regulated proteolysis of an anti-sigma factorS E Ades
Department of Stomatology, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 USA
Genes Dev 13:2449-61. 1999..We present evidence that the putative inner membrane serine protease, DegS, is responsible for this regulated degradation of RseA...
- Identification of major antigenic proteins of Pasteurella piscicidaI Hirono
Laboratory of Genetics and Biochemistry, Department of Aquatic Biosciences, Tokyo University of Fisheries, Konan 4 5 7, Minato ku, Tokyo, 108, Japan
Microb Pathog 23:371-80. 1997....
- Multicopy suppressors of prc mutant Escherichia coli include two HtrA (DegP) protease homologs (HhoAB), DksA, and a truncated R1pAS Bass
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080 4990, USA
J Bacteriol 178:1154-61. 1996..The dksA gene was independently isolated as a multicopy suppressor of a mukB mutation, which is required for chromosomal partitioning. A third dosage-dependent prc suppressor includes a truncated rare lipoprotein A (rlpA) gene...
- Characterization of degQ and degS, Escherichia coli genes encoding homologs of the DegP proteaseP R Waller
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
J Bacteriol 178:1146-53. 1996..This result and the inability of a plasmid expressing degS to rescue the temperature-sensitive degP41 phenotype indicate that the DegS protein is functionally different from the DegQ and DegP proteins...
- Cloning and sequence of the mdh structural gene of Escherichia coli coding for malate dehydrogenaseR F Vogel
Physiologisch Chemisches Institut im Medizinisch Naturwissenschaftlichen Forschungszentrum der Universität Tübingen, Federal Republic of Germany
Arch Microbiol 149:36-42. 1987..The structures for transcription initiation and termination were similar to those previously described for E. coli. Amino acid sequence homologies between pro- and eucaryotic malate dehydrogenases are discussed...