Gene Symbol: SPP1
Description: secreted phosphoprotein 1
Alias: OPN, OST, osteopontin, SPP-1, bone sialoprotein 1, bone sialoprotein I, early T-lymphocyte activation 1, osteopontin-K, secreted phosphoprotein 1 (osteopontin, bone sialoprotein I, early T-lymphocyte activation 1)
- Fine-mapping milk production quantitative trait loci on BTA6: analysis of the bovine osteopontin geneRobert D Schnabel
Division of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:6896-901. 2005..Next, we sequenced a 12.3-kb region harboring Osteopontin, a positional candidate for the statistically most significant of the identified QTL...
- Osteopontin, osteocalcin and OB-cadherin expression in Synthetic nanohydroxyapatite vs bovine hydroxyapatite cultured Osteoblastic-like cellsA Santarelli
Department of Clinical, Specialistic and Stomatological Sciences, Marche Polytechnic University, Ancona, Italy
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 28:523-9. 2014..Both the materials tested in the present study demonstrated a good biocompatibility with the osteoblastic cells allowing, at the same time, the osteogenic differentiation, and they may be useful in clinical use...
- Genetic variations in the SPP1 promoter affect gene expression and the level of osteopontin secretion into bovine milkP L Dudemaine
Departement de Biochimie, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC, J1H 5N4, Canada
Anim Genet 45:629-40. 2014b>Osteopontin (OPN) is now recognized as an important cytokine and extracellular integrin-binding protein at the crossroads of inflammation and homeostasis...
- Osteopontin binds multiple calcium ions with high affinity and independently of phosphorylation statusEva Kläning
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Aarhus University, Denmark Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Denmark
Bone 66:90-5. 2014b>Osteopontin (OPN) is an acidic, intrinsically disordered extracellular matrix protein with a capacity to modulate biomineralization in vitro and in vivo...
- Characterization of UO2(2+) binding to osteopontin, a highly phosphorylated protein: insights into potential mechanisms of uranyl accumulation in bonesLei Qi
CEA DSV iBEB SBTN, Laboratoire d Etude des Protéines Cibles, BP 17171, 30207 Bagnols sur Ceze cedex, France
Metallomics 6:166-76. 2014..The noncollagenous protein osteopontin (OPN) plays an important role in bone homeostasis...
- Multifunctional role of osteopontin in directing intrafibrillar mineralization of collagen and activation of osteoclastsDouglas E Rodriguez
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 6400, USA
Acta Biomater 10:494-507. 2014..In this study we show that osteopontin (OPN) can similarly serve as a process-directing agent for the intrafibrillar mineralization of collagen, even ..
- Expression and regulation of secreted phosphoprotein 1 in the bovine corpus luteum and effects on T lymphocyte chemotaxisDaniel H Poole
Department of Animal Sciences, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA
Reproduction 146:527-37. 2013Secreted phosphoprotein 1 (SPP1) in the bovine corpus luteum (CL) regulates cell function during the transitional periods of luteinization and luteal regression...
- Secreted phosphoprotein 1 (SPP1, osteopontin) binds to integrin alpha v beta 6 on porcine trophectoderm cells and integrin alpha v beta 3 on uterine luminal epithelial cells, and promotes trophectoderm cell adhesion and migrationDavid W Erikson
Department of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
Biol Reprod 81:814-25. 2009..Secreted phosphoprotein 1 (SPP1, osteopontin) is induced just before implantation and is present at the conceptus-maternal interface in mammals...
- Osteopontin reduces biofilm formation in a multi-species model of dental biofilmSebastian Schlafer
the Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Center, Faculty of Science and Technology, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
PLoS ONE 7:e41534. 2012..We here study the effect of bovine milk osteopontin (OPN), a highly phosphorylated whey glycoprotein, on a multispecies in vitro model of dental biofilm...
- Osteopontin immunoreactivity in the ileum and ileocecal lymph node of dairy cows naturally infected with Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosisE L Karcher
Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50010, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 126:142-8. 2008b>Osteopontin (Opn), a highly acidic glycoprotein, promotes cellular adhesion and recruitment and has been shown to be upregulated in the granulomas of mycobacterial infections. Johne's disease, caused by Mycobacterium avium subsp...
- Osteoclast migration on phosphorylated osteopontin is regulated by endogenous tartrate-resistant acid phosphataseBarbro Ek-Rylander
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 141 86 Huddinge, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 316:443-51. 2010b>Osteopontin (OPN) is a multifunctional protein implicated in cellular adhesion and migration. Phosphorylation has emerged as a post-translational modification important for certain biological activities of OPN...
- Osteopontin: an early innate immune marker of Escherichia coli mastitis harbors genetic polymorphisms with possible links with resistance to mastitisKarin Alain
Dairy and Swine Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Sherbrooke, Quebec, J1M 1Z3, Canada
BMC Genomics 10:444. 2009....
- Thermodynamic characterization of the interactions between the immunoregulatory proteins osteopontin and lactoferrinAaron P Yamniuk
Structural Biology Research Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Mol Immunol 46:2395-402. 2009The immunoregulatory proteins osteopontin (OPN) and lactoferrin (LF) are both highly abundant in milk, with a conserved ratio between different mammalian species, suggesting that the role of each protein in infant development may be ..
- A functional genomics approach to evaluate candidate genes located in a QTL interval for milk production traits on BTA6P A Sheehy
REPROGEN and Cooperative Research Centre for Innovative Dairy Products, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, Camden, NSW 2570, Australia
Anim Genet 40:492-8. 2009..These data suggest that the gene product of SPP1 (also known as osteopontin) has a significant role in the modulation of milk protein gene expression...
- Role of phosphate groups in inhibition of calcium oxalate crystal growth by osteopontinGraeme K Hunter
School of Dentistry and CIHR Group in Skeletal Development and Remodeling, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont, Canada
Cells Tissues Organs 189:44-50. 2009b>Osteopontin (OPN) inhibits the growth of calcium oxalate monohydrate (COM) and other crystal phases in a phosphorylation-dependent manner...
- Osteopontin: a novel cytokine involved in the regulation of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection in periparturient dairy cattleE L Karcher
Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
J Dairy Sci 91:3079-91. 2008b>Osteopontin (Opn), an important mediator of the cell-mediated immune response, enhances the host immune response against mycobacterial infections. Infections caused by Mycobacterium avium ssp...
- Isolation and characterization of a cDNA for osteopontin-k: a kidney cell adhesion molecule with high homology to osteopontinsJ F Crivello
Department of Physiology and Neurobiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs
J Bone Miner Res 7:693-9. 1992..The peptide (osteopontin-k) had a potential glycosylation site (Asn-X-Ser/Thr), a GRGDS receptor binding region, a high level of ..
- Binding patterns of bovine seminal plasma proteins A1/A2, 30 kDa and osteopontin on ejaculated sperm before and after incubation with isthmic and ampullary oviductal fluidCarlos Eduardo A Souza
Department of Animal Science, Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
Anim Reprod Sci 105:72-89. 2008..have reported empirical associations between bovine seminal plasma protein(s) (BSP) A1/A2 and 30 kDa and osteopontin (OPN) in accessory sex gland fluid and bull fertility...
- Identification of osteopontin phosphorylation sites involved in bone remodeling and inhibition of pathological calcificationFawzy A Saad
Laboratory for Study of Skeletal Disorders and Rehabilitation, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cell Biochem 103:852-6. 2008b>Osteopontin is a noncollagenous, phosphorylated extracellular glycoprotein, expressed in mineralized and nonmineralized tissues, organs and body fluids...
- The association of bovine PPARGC1A and OPN genes with milk composition in two independent Holstein cattle populationsH Khatib
Department of Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:2966-70. 2007..b>Osteopontin (OPN) and peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A) are located in the ..
- Evaluation in beef cattle of six deoxyribonucleic acid markers developed for dairy traits reveals an osteopontin polymorphism associated with postweaning growthS N White
USDA, ARS, US Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE 68933, USA
J Anim Sci 85:1-10. 2007..with milk yield or composition, including polymorphisms in secreted phosphoprotein 1 (SPP1; also called osteopontin), growth hormone receptor (GHR), casein S1 (CSN1S1), diacylglycerol O-acyltransferase 1 (DGAT1), peroxisome ..
- Molecular evidence for a critical period in mural trophoblast development in bovine blastocystsSéverine A Degrelle
UMR INRA ENVA CNRS Biologie du Développement et de la Reproduction, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
Dev Biol 288:448-60. 2005..Altogether, these results tended to show that early elongation is a critical transition in bovine trophoblast development...
- Effects of the osteopontin gene variants on milk production traits in dairy cattleS Leonard
Department of Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison 53706, USA
J Dairy Sci 88:4083-6. 2005b>Osteopontin (OPN) is a highly phosphorylated glycoprotein whose gene has been cloned and sequenced in different species...
- Conserved and variable domains in satellite DNAs of mitotic parthenogenetic root-knot nematode speciesNevenka Mestrović
Ruder Boskovic Institute, Zagreb, Croatia
Gene 362:44-50. 2005..javanica and M. arenaria and highly homogenized divergent positions in comparison with the MPA1 indicate similar sequence dynamics in mitotic parthenogenetic taxa to that observed in amphimictic species...
- Complete topographical distribution of both the in vivo and in vitro phosphorylation sites of bone sialoprotein and their biological implicationsErdjan Salih
Laboratory for the Study of Skeletal Disorders and Rehabilitation, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School and Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 279:19808-15. 2004..Overall, 7 in vitro and 11 in vivo phosphorylation sites were identified unequivocally, with natural variation in the quantitative extent of phosphorylation at each in vivo phosphorylation site...
- Phosphorylation of purified bovine bone sialoprotein and osteopontin by protein kinasesE Salih
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School and The Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 271:16897-905. 1996The large number of covalently bound phosphates on the extracellular phosphoproteins osteopontin (OPN) and bone sialoprotein (BSP) have been implicated in biological functions such as mineral deposition and osteoclast binding...
- Posttranslational modifications of bovine osteopontin: identification of twenty-eight phosphorylation and three O-glycosylation sitesE S Sørensen
Protein Chemistry Laboratory, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Protein Sci 4:2040-9. 1995b>Osteopontin (OPN) is a multiphosphorylated glycoprotein found in bone and other normal and malignant tissues, as well as in the physiological fluids urine and milk...
- Purification and characterization of three proteins isolated from the proteose peptone fraction of bovine milkE S Sørensen
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Dairy Res 60:189-97. 1993..The 60 kDa protein was found to be bovine osteopontin, a very highly phosphorylated protein with an Arg-Gly-Asp sequence which mediates cell attachment.
- The cDNA cloning and RNA distribution of bovine osteopontinJ M Kerr
Bone Research Branch, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Gene 108:237-43. 1991We have isolated and sequenced the bovine cDNA (OPN) counterpart of osteopontin. The cDNA is 1356 nucleotides (nt) in length with an open reading frame of 834 nt, encoding a 278-amino acid (aa) protein...
- Identification of a missense mutation in the bovine ABCG2 gene with a major effect on the QTL on chromosome 6 affecting milk yield and composition in Holstein cattleMiri Cohen-Zinder
Institute of Animal Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Genome Res 15:936-44. 2005..variation in this region and identified common haplotypes spanning five polymorphic sites in the genes IBSP, SPP1, PKD2, and ABCG2 for two sires heterozygous for this QTL...