Gene Symbol: PRG4
Description: proteoglycan 4
Alias: MSF, lubricin, proteoglycan 4, MLL septin-like fusion, proteoglycan 4, (megakaryocyte stimulating factor, articular superficial zone protein, camptodactyly, arthropathy, coxa vara, pericarditis syndrome)
- Effect of disulfide bonding and multimerization on proteoglycan 4's cartilage boundary lubricating ability and adsorptionSaleem Abubacker
a Biomedical Engineering Graduate Program, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Connect Tissue Res 57:113-23. 2016..this study were to assess the cartilage boundary lubricating ability of (1) nonreduced (NR) disulfide-bonded proteoglycan 4 (PRG4) multimers versus PRG4 monomers and (2) NR versus reduced and alkylated (R/A) PRG4 monomers and to ..
- The distribution of superficial zone protein (SZP)/lubricin/PRG4 and boundary mode frictional properties of the bovine diarthrodial jointGordon Peng
Lawrence Ellison Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA, United States
J Biomech 48:3406-12. 2015..surfaces are due in part to the boundary lubricant, superficial zone protein (SZP); also known as lubricin or proteoglycan 4 (PRG4). In previous work, SZP localization and cartilage friction were examined across the femoral condyles...
- Effects of concentration and structure on proteoglycan 4 rheology and interaction with hyaluronanTaryn E Ludwig
Biomedical Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Biorheology 51:409-22. 2014The contribution of proteoglycan 4 (PRG4) to synovial fluid and hyaluronan (HA) solution rheology are poorly understood...
- Stimulation of Superficial Zone Protein/Lubricin/PRG4 by Transforming Growth Factor-β in Superficial Zone Articular Chondrocytes and Modulation by GlycosaminoglycansAraceli Cuellar
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Lawrence Ellison Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California
Tissue Eng Part A 21:1973-81. 2015Superficial zone protein (SZP), also known as lubricin and proteoglycan 4 (PRG4), plays an important role in the boundary lubrication of articular cartilage and is regulated by transforming growth factor (TGF)-β...
- Oxygen tension affects lubricin expression in chondrocytesTaku Hatta
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Tissue Eng Part A 20:2720-7. 2014We assessed the effects of oxygen tension on lubricin expression in bovine chondrocytes and cartilage explants and a role for hypoxia-inducible transcription factor (HIF)-1α in regulating lubricin expression was investigated using a ..
- Transforming growth factor β-induced superficial zone protein accumulation in the surface zone of articular cartilage is dependent on the cytoskeletonSean M McNary
1 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lawrence Ellison Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California
Tissue Eng Part A 20:921-9. 2014..These results suggest that SZP production is dependent on the functional cytoskeleton, and Rho GTPases contribute to SZP accumulation by modulating the actions of TGFβ. ..
- Regulation of lubricin/superficial zone protein by Wnt signalling in bovine synoviocytesAtsuyuki Inui
Lawrence Ellison Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of California at Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 10:172-7. 2016b>Lubricin, homologous to superficial zone protein (SZP), functions as a boundary lubricant in articular cartilage and plays an essential role in the maintenance of joint function and homeostasis...
- Induction of chondrogenesis and expression of superficial zone protein in synovial explants with TGF-β1 and BMP-7Takashi Iwakura
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, University of California, Sacramento, California
Tissue Eng Part A 19:2638-44. 2013....
- Molecular weight characterization of PRG4 proteins using multi-angle laser light scattering (MALLS)B L Steele
Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 21:498-504. 2013Alternative splicing and variable post-translational modifications result in proteoglycan 4 (PRG4) proteins with historically reported apparent molecular weights (Ma) ranging from 150 to 400 kDa...
- Matrix molecule influence on chondrocyte phenotype and proteoglycan 4 expression by alginate-embedded zonal chondrocytes and mesenchymal stem cellsEmily E Coates
Fischell Department of Bioengineering, University of Maryland, 3238 Jeong H Kim Engineering Building, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
J Orthop Res 30:1886-97. 2012..b>Proteoglycan 4 (PRG4), found in the superficial zone, is a critical component of the joint's lubricating mechanisms...
- Mesenchymal progenitor cells derived from synovium and infrapatellar fat pad as a source for superficial zone cartilage tissue engineering: analysis of superficial zone protein/lubricin expressionSang Yang Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lawrence J Ellison Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 16:317-25. 2010..In conclusion, both synovium and IFP are promising cell sources for tissue engineering of superficial zone cartilage...
- Molecular resurfacing of cartilage with proteoglycan 4K Chawla
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Acta Biomater 6:3388-94. 2010Early loss of proteoglycan 4 (PRG4), a lubricating glycoprotein implicated in boundary lubrication, from the cartilage surface has been associated with degeneration of cartilage and early onset of osteoarthritis...
- Articular cartilage superficial zone protein (SZP) is homologous to megakaryocyte stimulating factor precursor and Is a multifunctional proteoglycan with potential growth-promoting, cytoprotective, and lubricating properties in cartilage metabolismC R Flannery
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, PreClinical Buildings, Cardiff, Wales, CF1 3US, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 254:535-41. 1999..is homologous with a glycoprotein first described as the precursor protein of a megakaryocyte stimulating factor (MSF)...
- Disulfide-bonded multimers of proteoglycan 4 PRG4 are present in normal synovial fluidsTannin A Schmidt
Department of Internal Medicine Division of Rheumatology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:375-84. 2009The proteoglycan 4 (PRG4) gene encodes for a mucin-like O-linked glycosylated protein with several names, including lubricin and superficial zone protein...
- Modulation of lubricin biosynthesis and tissue surface properties following cartilage mechanical injuryAled R C Jones
Wyeth Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02140, USA
Arthritis Rheum 60:133-42. 2009To evaluate the effects of injurious compression on the biosynthesis of lubricin at different depths within articular cartilage and to examine alterations in structure and function of the articular surface following mechanical injury.
- Induction of chondrogenesis and expression of superficial zone protein (SZP)/lubricin by mesenchymal progenitors in the infrapatellar fat pad of the knee joint treated with TGF-beta1 and BMP-7Sang Yang Lee
Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California 4635 Second Avenue, Room 2000, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 376:148-53. 2008....
- Mechanotransduction of bovine articular cartilage superficial zone protein by transforming growth factor beta signalingCOREY P NEU
Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, University of California, Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arthritis Rheum 56:3706-14. 2007..This study was undertaken to investigate the mechanotransduction process of expression of superficial zone protein (SZP), a critical joint lubricant...
- Differential regulation of lubricin/superficial zone protein by transforming growth factor beta/bone morphogenetic protein superfamily members in articular chondrocytes and synoviocytesTakahiro Niikura
University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arthritis Rheum 56:2312-21. 2007..To investigate the role of transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta)/bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) superfamily members on accumulation of superficial zone protein (SZP) in articular chondrocytes and synoviocytes...
- Effects of simple and complex motion patterns on gene expression of chondrocytes seeded in 3D scaffoldsSibylle Grad
AO Research Institute, Davos Platz, Switzerland
Tissue Eng 12:3171-9. 2006..Compared with group 1, the proteoglycan 4 (PRG4) and cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP) mRNA expression levels were markedly increased by ball ..
- Bioregulation of lubricin expression by growth factors and cytokinesA R C Jones
Department of Women s Health and Musculoskeletal Biology, Wyeth Research, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Eur Cell Mater 13:40-5; discussion 45. 2007Lubricin, also commonly referred to as superficial zone protein (SZP) and proteoglycan 4 (PRG4), is a multifaceted, cytoprotective glycoprotein that contributes to the boundary lubrication properties facilitating low friction levels at ..
- Increased accumulation of superficial zone protein (SZP) in articular cartilage in response to bone morphogenetic protein-7 and growth factorsAfshin Khalafi
Center for Tissue Regeneration and Repair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Orthop Res 25:293-303. 2007..Furthermore, tissue engineering approaches to articular cartilage may depend on the optimal synthesis and assembly of SZP in the superficial zone to ensure functional tissue architecture...
- Immunolocalisation and expression of proteoglycan 4 (cartilage superficial zone proteoglycan) in tendonSarah G Rees
Connective Tissue Biology Laboratories, Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, CF10 3US, Cardiff, UK
Matrix Biol 21:593-602. 2002Cartilage superficial zone protein/proteoglycan (SZP) or proteoglycan 4 (PRG4), has been demonstrated to have the potential for several distinct biological functions including cytoprotection, lubrication and matrix binding...
- Immunodetection and partial cDNA sequence of the proteoglycan, superficial zone protein, synthesized by cells lining synovial jointsB L Schumacher
Department of Biochemistry, Rush Medical College at Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Orthop Res 17:110-20. 1999..Thus, both chondrocytes and synovial cells bordering the joint cavity synthesize superficial zone protein and substantiate its usefulness as a phenotypic marker of particular cellular species lining the articular cavity...
- MRI-Based Method to Evaluate Engineered CartilageCorey Neu; Fiscal Year: 2006..The deformation measurements will be used to approximate the 3D finite strain tensor field throughout normal and tissue engineered cartilage. ..