- Lost to follow up: contributing factors and challenges in South African patients on antiretroviral therapy
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand
S Afr Med J 97:853-7. 2007
..Data on a sample of patients who failed to return for follow-up were analysed to identify the causes and to plan strategies to overcome the problem...
- Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated-Herpes Virus (KSHV) Seroprevalence in Pregnant Women in South Africa
Babatyi I Malope-Kgokong
Viral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, Frederick MD, USA
Infect Agent Cancer 5:14. 2010
..We measured the seroprevalence of KSHV in relation to HIV, syphilis, and demographic factors among pregnant women attending public antenatal clinics in the Gauteng province of South Africa...
- Occult hepatitis B virus infection in patients with isolated core antibody and HIV co-infection in an urban clinic in Johannesburg, South Africa
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Infect Dis 13:488-92. 2009
..However, sensitive molecular techniques for detecting HBV DNA in serum can detect occult HBV infection. We report the first observational prospective study of occult HBV infection in HIV-positive people in South Africa...
- No evidence of sexual transmission of Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus in a heterosexual South African population
Babatyi I Malope
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS 22:519-26. 2008
..The transmission of Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus (KSHV) in men who have sex with men is clearly associated with sexual risk factors, but evidence of heterosexual transmission of KSHV is conflicting...
- Heterogeneity and breadth of host antibody response to KSHV infection demonstrated by systematic analysis of the KSHV proteome
Viral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, Frederick, Maryland, United States of America Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 10:e1004046. 2014
..To this end, we have developed a bead-based multiplex assay detecting antibodies to six KSHV antigens. ..
- Epidemiology of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus in HIV-1-infected US persons in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy
aViral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, Leidos Biomedical Inc, Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, Frederick bDepartment of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland cDivision of Infectious Diseases, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California dDivision of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
AIDS 29:1217-25. 2015
..To determine the effect of the introduction of combination antiretroviral treatment (cART) in the HIV-1-infected US population on the epidemiology of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV)...
- Detection of antibodies to Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus: a new approach using K8.1 ELISA and a newly developed recombinant LANA ELISA
Georgina L Mbisa
Viral Technology Laboratory, Advanced Technology Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, NCI Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, United States
J Immunol Methods 356:39-46. 2010
..1 ELISA to enable the highly sensitive and specific detection of antibodies to KSHV. Use of this testing strategy will provide a more accurate and reliable diagnostic assessment of KSHV status...
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus transmission and primary infection
Viral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 4:22-6. 2009
..Transmission and risk factors for infection by KSHV are not fully understood. The purpose of this review is to highlight recent advances in our understanding of KSHV transmission in various settings...
- Kaposi sarcoma (KS)-associated herpesvirus microRNA sequence analysis and KS risk in a European AIDS-KS case control study
Viral Oncology Section, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
J Infect Dis 202:1126-35. 2010
..Here, we examine whether any of these may contribute to KS risk in a European AIDS-KS case-control study...
- A longitudinal study of stavudine-associated toxicities in a large cohort of South African HIV infected subjects
Colin N Menezes
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine, Helen Joseph Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 11:244. 2011
..This has brought new challenges which include the effects of stavudine-related toxicities...
- The prevalence of hepatitis B co-infection in a South African urban government HIV clinic
Clinical HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr Med J 98:541-4. 2008
..Co-infection with hepatitis B and HIV can influence antiretroviral treatment and prognosis of both diseases. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of hepatitis B/HIV coinfection...
- Serodiagnosis for tumor viruses
Brian J Morrison
Viral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, Frederick, MD
Semin Oncol 42:191-206. 2015
..Serodiagnosis of tumor viruses plays an important role in our understanding of the prevalence and transmission of these viruses and ultimately in the ability to develop treatments/preventions for these globally important diseases. ..
- Prevalence and predictors of kaposi sarcoma herpes virus seropositivity: a cross-sectional analysis of HIV-infected adults initiating ART in Johannesburg, South Africa
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand York Avenue, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa
Infect Agent Cancer 6:22. 2011