- A household survey on screening practices of household contacts of smear positive tuberculosis patients in Vietnam
Thuy Hoang Thi Thanh
National Tuberculosis Control Programme of Vietnam, National Lung Hospital VNTP NLH, Hanoi, Vietnam
BMC Public Health 14:713. 2014
..This study assesses current contact screening practices in Vietnam and determines the proportion of household contacts screened of newly registered TB patients...
- Antibiotic sales in rural and urban pharmacies in northern Vietnam: an observational study
Do Thi Thuy Nga
Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hanoi, Vietnam
BMC Pharmacol Toxicol 15:6. 2014
..Here we report on both quantitative and qualitative aspects of antibiotic sales in private pharmacies in northern Vietnam...
- Klebsiella pneumoniae oropharyngeal carriage in rural and urban Vietnam and the effect of alcohol consumption
Trinh Tuyet Dao
National Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Hanoi, Viet Nam
PLoS ONE 9:e91999. 2014
..This population-based cross-sectional study explores the association of a variety of demographic and socioeconomic factors, as well as alcohol consumption with oropharyngeal carriage of K. pneumoniae in Vietnam...
- Providing impetus, tools, and guidance to strengthen national capacity for antimicrobial stewardship in viet nam
Heiman F L Wertheim
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hanoi, Viet Nam South East Asia Infectious Disease Clinical Research Network, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
PLoS Med 10:e1001429. 2013
b>Heiman Wertheim and colleagues describe the launch and impact of VINARES, an initiative to strengthen antimicrobial stewardship in Vietnam.
- Fatal respiratory infections associated with rhinovirus outbreak, Vietnam
Le Thanh Hai
National Hospital of Pediatrics, Hanoi, Vietnam
Emerg Infect Dis 18:1886-8. 2012
..0005). Outbreak rhinoviruses formed a distinct genetic cluster. Human rhinovirus is an underappreciated cause of severe pneumonia in vulnerable groups...
- Laboratory Capacity Building in Asia for Infectious Disease Research: Experiences from the South East Asia Infectious Disease Clinical Research Network (SEAICRN)
Heiman F L Wertheim
South East Asia Infectious Diseases Clinical Research Network
PLoS Med 7:e1000231. 2010
b>Heiman Wertheim and colleagues discuss a network that aims to improve infectious disease management through integrated, collaborative clinical research in South East Asia.
- Antibiotic use and resistance in emerging economies: a situation analysis for Viet Nam
Kinh Van Nguyen
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hanoi, Viet Nam
BMC Public Health 13:1158. 2013
..Viet Nam, with a large population, high burden of infectious disease and relatively unrestricted access to medication, is an excellent case study of the difficulties faced by emerging economies in controlling antimicrobial resistance...
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of Penicillium marneffei infection among HIV-infected patients in northern Vietnam
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Welcome Trust Major Overseas Program, Hanoi, Vietnam
AIDS Res Ther 9:24. 2012
- Studying the effectiveness of activated carbon R95 respirators in reducing the inhalation of combustion by-products in Hanoi, Vietnam: a demonstration study
Heiman F L Wertheim
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit and Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Hanoi, Vietnam
Environ Health 11:72. 2012
..In this demonstration study we set out to establish methods to assess whether wearing an R95 activated carbon respirator could reduce intake of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) in street workers in Hanoi, Vietnam...
- Influenza A H5N1 and HIV co-infection: case report
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit Viet Nam, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Program, National Hospital of Tropical Diseases, 78 Giai Phong Road, Dong da, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
BMC Infect Dis 10:167. 2010
..The role of adaptive immunity in severe influenza is poorly understood. The occurrence of influenza A/H5N1 in a patient with HIV provided a rare opportunity to investigate this...
- Acute measles encephalitis in partially vaccinated adults
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Ho Chi Minh City and Ha Noi, Viet Nam
PLoS ONE 8:e71671. 2013
..Treatment with immune-modulators is based on theories that post-infectious autoimmune responses cause demyelination. The clinical course and immunological parameters of AME were examined during an outbreak in Vietnam...
- Pandemic H1N1 virus transmission and shedding dynamics in index case households of a prospective Vietnamese cohort
Pham Quang Thai
National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Hanoi, Viet Nam
J Infect 68:581-90. 2014
..Influenza household transmission studies are required to guide prevention strategies but most passively recruit index cases that seek healthcare. We investigated A(H1N1)pdm09 transmission in a household-based cohort during 2009...
- Investigation of dengue and Japanese encephalitis virus transmission in Hanam, Viet Nam
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit and Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Viet Nam Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Hanoi, Viet Nam Hanam Centre for Preventive Medicine, Hanam, Viet Nam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 90:892-6. 2014
..The findings highlight the importance of continued Japanese encephalitis virus vaccination and dengue surveillance...
- The spectrum of central nervous system infections in an adult referral hospital in Hanoi, Vietnam
Walter R Taylor
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hanoi, Vietnam
PLoS ONE 7:e42099. 2012
..To determine prospectively the causative pathogens of central nervous system (CNS) infections in patients admitted to a tertiary referral hospital in Hanoi, Vietnam...
- Severe pandemic H1N1 2009 infection is associated with transient NK and T deficiency and aberrant CD8 responses
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Dong da, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
PLoS ONE 7:e31535. 2012
..We therefore compared the acute cellular immune response in previously healthy adults with severe versus mild pandemic H1N1 infection...
- Stimulating the development of national Streptococcus suis guidelines in Viet Nam through a strategic research partnership
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, National Hospital of Tropical Diseases, 78 Giai Phong Street, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Bull World Health Organ 88:458-61. 2010
..Prevention, diagnosis and treatment are relatively straightforward and affordable but, in early 2007, no national diagnostic, case management or prevention guidelines existed in Viet Nam...