Affiliation: Universidad Central de Venezuela
- [Stress echocardiography in Latin America. A review of 5 years (1997-2002)]Harry Acquatella
Centro Médico San Bernardino, Caracas, Venezuela
Rev Esp Cardiol 56:21-8. 2003..Original studies of contrast echocardiography have been made, but the expense of the procedure precludes more widespread use. Clinical and multicenter studies should be encouraged...
- Echocardiography in Chagas heart diseaseHarry Acquatella
Faculty of Medicine Universidad Central de Venezuela, Hospital Universitario and Centro Medico, Caracas, Venezuela
Circulation 115:1124-31. 2007..Chagas heart disease is a frequent cause of morbidity and mortality in Latin America. Echocardiography provides useful diagnostic and prognostic information and is an important tool in the management of patients with Chagas disease...
- Large urban outbreak of orally acquired acute Chagas disease at a school in Caracas, VenezuelaBelkisyolé Alarcón de Noya
Departments of Immunology, Instituto de Medicina Tropical, Universidad Central de Venezuela Código Postal 1041, Los Chaguaramos, Caracas, Venezuela
J Infect Dis 201:1308-15. 2010..Trypanosoma cruzi oral transmission is possible through food contamination by vector's feces. Little is known about the epidemiology and clinical features of microepidemics of orally acquired acute Chagas disease (CD)...
- Percutaneous edge-to-edge mitral valve repair: 2-year follow-up in the first human caseJosé Antonio Condado
Unidad de Cardiologia, Centro Medico de Caracas, Caracas, Venezuela
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 67:323-5. 2006..The success of this case suggests that percutaneous mitral valve repair may be a feasible therapy for certain patients suffering from mitral regurgitation...
- First human case of retrograde transcatheter implantation of an aortic valve prosthesisDavid Paniagua
Department of Cardiology, Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 32:393-8. 2005..In our patient, retrograde transcatheter implantation of a prosthetic aortic valve yielded excellent hemodynamic results and paved the way for further use of this technique in selected high-risk patients...
- Evaluation and treatment of chagas disease in the United States: a systematic reviewCaryn Bern
Parasitic Diseases Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
JAMA 298:2171-81. 2007..Because of population migration from endemic areas and newly instituted blood bank screening, US clinicians are likely to see an increasing number of patients with suspected or confirmed chronic Trypanosoma cruzi infection (Chagas disease)...
- [Predicting heart failure and mortality in chronic Chagas' heart disease. A novel disorder in Spain]Harry Acquatella
Rev Esp Cardiol 61:105-7. 2008